Speaker 1: Thank you John.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Kentucky, and it is six oh five here on a rainy and wet Thursday morning. It is Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. And again I want to remind folks if you bought a lottery ticket at the Kroger, which we need to talk about Kroger once again because it sounds as if there's another location that may have a potential rodent issue, which is certainly not good. But maybe I'm maybe I'm in the wrong here for thinking that this is this is to see it happen at two places. I mean, that's you may want to shut down everything for a brief moment just to make sure everything is super clean. But anyways, if you won a if you purchased a lottery ticket here recently, in fact, on it would be Tuesday, you may you may be a winner. Because we've got a winner of the twenty five yet. So it's twenty five thousand dollars a year for life, and this was purchased at the Lagrange Road Kroger. And I mean twenty five k or the rest of your life every year would be big.
Speaker 1: But we did discuss earlier.
Speaker 2: We would be lump some here, which three hundred and ninety thousand dollars is what you can take is just a one time It is just a one time payment, all right. So with the current situation going on in Iran and in Israel, what Donald Trump does from here is seemingly what understandably so a lot of Americans are just sitting back waiting to see and with this current president, I mean, when anything really surprised you to say that he can be a wild card?
Speaker 1: Is that a stretch? Probably not right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think I'm talking at a turn here, but I'm sure others may not agree, and that's totally fine. I'm not here to try to try to change your opinion in any way. But what we do know is that there is no, seemingly no plans or any itch to get America involved in what would be essentially World War three. So that's good news, right, Who would say that's not good news?
Speaker 1: That's good news.
Speaker 2: Now, what else we learned yesterday is that he claims iran Is is wanting to come to the White House and basically have a powwow, and I guess try to figure some things out, which I hear that, and I'm thinking, Okay, that's that's good. That's that means we're making progress as far as getting things headed in the direction of being more peaceful. But doesn't sound as if he's he's willing to have those conversations, because obviously they didn't. They didn't do this in the timely manner that he was expecting and I guess honestly requesting.
Speaker 1: So this is big news, by.
Speaker 2: The way, and this this, this is probably to be expected when you're in a situation quite like this. But the Wall Street Journal is the first that I saw that reported that he has signed off on the plans to hit Iran's nuclear sights. It's just he's not given any kind of final green light in order to to, you know, to actually take action. So as of yesterday, in fact, I think it was more so, Yeah, it was Tuesday, that is, whenever he told his team at the White House that the next twenty four to forty eight hours are going to be crucial and we are certainly in we're getting towards the end of that window at times. So again, we'll keep you updated as best we can throughout the morning, really throughout the entire day here at NewsRadio eight forty wahs. If you've got some thoughts on this that you want to share and you are listening to us on the iHeartRadio app, feel free to use the talkback feature. I'm sure you know there's some that have some strong opinions on it, and we'll let you guys share those with us. So again, just hit that microphone button on the ihet Radio app, and it's that easy. You hit the button, you're prompted to record for up to thirty seconds. You can share whatever it is you want and then it's right here in our little portal. So again, want to remind you, guys, that's an option, because I'm sure there's been times where you felt the need to share your thoughts on whatever it is we're talking about, or maybe something even one of our guests that comes on the show discusses. So again, I want to remind you that that option is there, and that'll be a way we can can have some interaction on this show, which I think will be a little different than what this show has been for many many years. What I want to get to coming up in about five minutes or so, the latest with the U of l athletics budget, so they're going to have, like a lot of athletic departments across the country, they're going to have a shortfall when it comes to to to money. I mean they have I believe one hundred and sixty seven point four million in expenses.
Speaker 1: That's the latest. Yeah, that was that was according to Air Crawford.
Speaker 2: A WDRB, and yet they only have one hundred and fifty four point nine million in revenue. So that's that's that's it's going to lead to some tough cuts that are going to impact really every sport to an extent, but certainly the non revenue programs out there, and as far as just some potential things that could be really noticeable when you get there as a fan, when you're watching and you're seeing things, but maybe you wouldn't think about it until you know you get there. Those are some things I want to share with you guys coming up here. We'll do that in about five minutes time. But now it is time to get another update on our traffic out there in the Kentucky and area with Bobby Ellis, and of course we'll take a look at the current forecast and of course what we're expecting the rest of the day right here on news.
Speaker 1: Radio eight forty whs.
Speaker 2: It's six sixteen here at Kentucky and his morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. So last week it was the University of Kentucky that announced that they were going to be making some investments in new revenue streams within their athletics department, because everybody around the country when it comes to college athletics is in need of more revenue streams because again, twenty million dollars plus moving forward is a big expense. That's an annual payment that didn't use to exist and now it does. And some will be able to deal with this much easier than others, but the majority, you're going to have to make some real adjustments here, because again, twenty million is a lot of money for really anybody. I mean, again, there are schools that have revenue coming in and support from donors and whatnot that won't make this as big of a deal. But it's certainly it's not something that just it's not something that goes unnoticed to where you're not making at least some kind of changes. But the University of Louisll's Athletic department. They're navigating what is a twelve and a half million dollar deficit for their twenty twenty five to twenty six budget. So this again is driven by this twenty point five million dollar commitment that they are making to the athlete revenue sharing that's under the NCAA's House Settlement that just became official in the last few weeks. So again, one hundred and sixty seven point four million in expenses and only one hundred and fifty four point nine million in revenue that is going to lead to this department making tough cuts that are going to impact all sports, but really those that are non revenue programs like women's basketball, although they do make I mean, they're not They have one of the highest attended how do I want to word this? Their attendance is not only strong for women's college basketball, but we're just we're spoiled around here. We probably don't even realize it, but I think Jeff Wall's program, in their good years, maybe not even in their best years, they actually have more people that come to their games on average than most of the ACC men's teams. So they aren't big, they aren't a big revenue producer compared to football and men's basketball, but I think more so like soccer, volleyball, baseball, track swimming, those are the kind of sports that you could really see some tough cuts. And I don't mean all those sports are going to be cut, but just you know, maybe some slight changes to the resources they currently get, knowing that they already get less than most because again, they don't produce revenue. They cost money. And that's not an insult, that's not me passing judgment.
Speaker 1: That's just the facts. That's just how it works.
Speaker 2: So to address the shortfall, they they've reduced financial aid by three point four million, cut travel and meal budgets, froze capital spending, and you know, these are things that you that you've that you just got to you know, you got to keep in mind.
Speaker 1: Also there's a facility freeze.
Speaker 2: That will put a halt on capital spending stops also putting a stop to training facilities, uh as far as upgrades to the training facilities, locker room, stadiums, that kind of stuff. So you've got some programs that have probably been letting the administration know as best they can that they are in need of an update. When it comes to their venue and their resources. But now the likelihood of that happening anytime soon becomes very very unlikely. So here is where the operational effects could could could come in. So you have reduced travel budgets, which is going to likely lead to fewer high profile tournaments, right. I mean there's a lot of n season tournaments that take place for for not only men's when it's basketball, but also volleyball. And when you don't have the budget to travel to take play to take part in these events, I mean that that that's gonna, that's gonna it's gonna impact you. So you also limit the exposure in NCUBA tournament chances when you don't play in some of these some of these events and when you know, when you end up getting to the tournament. This is something a lot of fans may not realize, but anytime you're in the tournament, there's a payout, like you're making money by NCUBAA tournament appearances from the NCUBA. So again we'll get into more of the I guess potential impact here as far as what the non revenue sports could look like. But it's not just those sports. Those are the ones that I would be worried about most if I'm a fan and that look, we're all if you're a Louisville fan, you're you want all the sports to do well, right, But if you're a non revenue sport, I mean, this is this is not an ideal time. But again, even those that produce money like football and basketball, men's basketball, that's really what feeds the athletic department here locally for both Louisville and Kentucky. You know, for Louisville there's clearly gonna be some some changes there too. Maybe maybe it won't be as noticeable, but this is you can't have a twenty million dollar annual payment now in place and not see some real lingering effects of that. All right, we've got another update of news. Actually I'm sorry. We got updated trafficking weather coming your way. Then we'll hit sports, and then we'll hit news. It's six twenty at Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty WHS.
Speaker 1: Thank you, John.
Speaker 2: It is six thirty four here at Kentucky and is Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a rainy Thursday morning a juneteenth edition of Kentucky and His Morning News. A federal holiday, of course, meaning it's one of those comp days. I don't know if if the one and only John Alden agrees with me on this, but a comp day it really doesn't change anything for everybody involved, because there are those who work in the off air department, meaning there's a lot of different departments here of course within our company of iHeartMedia that you know that they get this day off, and we can take the day off if we'd like and use it as a holiday, but if we do work, we end up just getting an added vacation day down the line to use. They call those comp days, And again it all evens out. Let's just say somebody in the on air in the non on air department decided, you know, let's just say that me, Scott John, and two other people that don't work in the on air department that are not working today, we all had the same amount of vacation time for the year, and they took the day off and all of us worked and we get a comp day. It's the exact same amount of time off. But isn't there some sweet about knowing you can just pick when you get to take the day off.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's the best.
Speaker 2: I'm manipulating the situation to feel like I'm getting over on the man, I suppose, but I've always felt.
Speaker 3: That way one of the best things or the best ways to do it, especially coming up. I mean, you could take a four day weekend with fourth of July, with it being on a Friday, you can take off that Monday after the Thursday before. It seems like the options are endless, right.
Speaker 2: I need, I need to lean on your advice there, because you're right using com days to stretch other holidays into even longer weekends. That's the way to go. And so that's where we win and they lose. And I don't mean to and we're not. We're on the same team here. But the office is going to be empty today because of course it is Juneteenth and it's a holiday, and we're here working and I wouldn't wouldn't want to.
Speaker 1: Be anywhere else, all right. So this this list.
Speaker 2: Is one that I that I am excited to talk about because I can't imagine being somebody that is uh and in a nick you nurse that is hearing of a baby's name for the first time, and at times has to probably try really hard to hide some kind of reaction. I would assume that you don't insult the parents based off what they want to name their kid. That didn't happen to you. You're the most recent one to have a baby, John, nobody insulted you guys by picking the BEAUTIFU name. Daisy would assume it's beautiful day. But there's some names that aren't aren't good, aren't great. But I guess that's all you know. You look, you can name your kid whatever you want, But there are some that I would I would have a hard time not giving at least like some body language that is giving my surprise that that that's that's that's what's your name and your child that's not not a real name.
Speaker 1: But anyhow.
Speaker 2: There is a TikTok video of a nurse in Florida who is sharing us some names that have that have that have popped up and been used by parents during her time in the in the healthcare world. There were twins, one boy, one girl, Brock b R O C K Lee l E E oh Man and then the other twin was Calli Flowers c A L L I E. And then flowers the middle name. I mean, you're just setting.
Speaker 1: You you're asking, Yeah, you're meet Look, your kid.
Speaker 2: Is going to be walking into a world of not only potential teasing, but just a conversation that will never not be there when they meet somebody for the first time.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, your name is brock Lee.
Speaker 2: I mean you know why you're doing that to your kids? I mean cause I guess there's a chance that maybe there's some kind of connection there and it's got a special sentimental meaning. But I doubt it. I mean I don't know that for certain, but I doubt it. And there's a family who has the last name Ball that had a son and a daughter within a couple of years time. And the son's name is Canon and the daughter's name is Crystal cannon.
Speaker 1: Ball Crystal ball Man. And again these aren't.
Speaker 2: That's not a coincidence, right, Like, that's just I guess, trying to have fun but also potentially setting your children up to be.
Speaker 1: Teased.
Speaker 2: And I don't condone anybody making fun of anybody for their name they can't control. They didn't pick it. Nobody gets to pick their name at birth. Now, maybe you can change it, but you know, even though I don't condone it and would wish that people wouldn't tease people about anything, like, let's be real, that's that's not the world that we live in. There is also a nurse that chimed in here in the comments action that this almost I don't want to say this is a lie, but this, if this is true, this is just this is beyond unbelievable felony p h E l O N Y, Like who would pick that name? So again, you can you have the right to name your kid nearly I mean almost anything you want, right, I mean, what.
Speaker 3: A cute little fellon me.
Speaker 2: There are there are certain there are certain names that like you're not allowed to use, and in fact that maybe a list that we can look at at some point, just because I think you know, it may surprise you hearing some names that that you're not allowed to technically put on a birth certificate. But what gets me, like, you can, you have the right to name your kid just about anything. But what gets me is when people think they also have the right to rewrite how the English language works. I mean, I'll call your kid by the name you give them, but don't expect me to like ignore that you just decided to tell us that you don't know how to spell. I mean, I'll give you an example. This is always the when that comes to mind for me. Tom Brinneman, son of Marty Burnaman, who of course is a broadcaster, and he became a bigger name with a big goof that he had in twenty twenty, but he since bounced back from that and is back in broadcasting. But his name is Tom, but he spells it thhom thomb like I'll call you Tom, your name is thomb like if that's if that's what I'm looking at. Your name's thomb, but you go by Tom. That's that's really what we're doing here. And I guess what they're trying to do is you know, there's a lot of Thomas's that I guess th h O M A S Thomas And then yeah, exactly, it's kind of like me, like I added a K to the end of my name, but you know, technically it doesn't exist. So maybe I'm maybe I need to look in the mirror, maybe I'm doing technically what I'm And I.
Speaker 1: Guess it was still by the way, it was regardless of how you spell it. And I see R N c K.
Speaker 2: It still would say the same thing, but again, like I'll call your kid what you want, but I'm also I'm also going to be willing to look you in the eye and say again, they go by that, But I know the English language and I know how to spell. I've got Bully County Public School education, and that spells thomb. Anyways, we'll get back into this list a little bit later on. Maybe you can use the talkback feature and share a name of somebody that you found to be unbelievable, only to find out their parents really really did that. All right, We've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way, so stick around right here. It's six forty one at Kentucky and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty WHS. It is six forty seven here at Kentucky and is Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty WHS. Just a few minutes away from another update on traffic and weather. Also in about eight minutes, we'll get an update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald, something that certainly is worth mentioning, but it's not not necessarily great news, and that is the interest rates currently that have been an issue for quite some time, but.
Speaker 1: The Federal Reserve held its Federal held.
Speaker 2: Its benchmark interest rate steady yesterday with the decision to keep it between four points twenty five percent and four point five percent. And certainly that's that's that's an issue when it comes to to Donald Trump, I mean mean meaning he has an issue with it, which really shouldn't shouldn't surprise anyone because as you could expect, I mean that's look, I'm still trying to kind of navigate my way around discussing certain things with Donald Trump, because it's not as if I'm giving any kind of like strong opinion one way or the other. But you know, it's not it's not necessarily as they say, you know, maybe super presidential to see your your president come out and say that. And again, this is a word that a lot of us use, and maybe it's maybe it isn't maybe this word would be used more so by other presidents. I'm just ignorant to it. But President Trump did say that the the huge interest rate cuts. You know that he's calling for huge interest rate cuts to stimulate the economy. But he slammed the Chairman's your own pal for being in his words, stupid.
Speaker 1: So I tried not.
Speaker 2: To to share this information in such a tongue in cheek way. But the President is calling the chairman of the Federal Reserve stupid, and that's that's quite literally what we what we have here. So anyways, we'll talk about a little bit more when it comes to the Federal Reserve and and and interest rates.
Speaker 1: That are out there.
Speaker 2: Also what I want to remind you about and maybe let you know because we haven't you maybe you're just not joining us. We haven't discussed this yet in the last twenty minutes, but I do want to get to it coming up in the seven o'clock hour. Because the University of Louisville's athletic budget for the next for the upcoming year, I mean, they're they've they've got a real shortfall and with that they are they're taking on they're taking on a lot of credit and that that I think is is not something you you typically would see. But again it's a new world now when it comes to college athletics. So they've they've secured a twenty five million dollar line of credit from P and C Bank, and again that that's that's very telling. But also just know that They're not alone. This is happening across the country when it comes to college athletics because the recent house settlement that now is it's not a requirement, by the way, but if you want to compete at the highest level, you're going to need to share revenue, like the other schools that want to compete are sharing, because if you are in the market for players, rather it be high school kids or it is kids that are in the transfer portal, I guess at that point they.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't be kids.
Speaker 2: If your pitch is come and play here and get a great education, and don't you don't have to pay for any school. You'll have a place to live, you'll be taken care of. But we're not going to share any revenue with you at all. And you can maybe go get some menile money if you want. But we're just selling you on the experience. And I don't mean to mock that, because that is a great experience to be able to get college paid for and live a great lifestyle. And clearly the college athletes before NIL, especially those that played at high levels, they weren't going without right. They were still taken care of and they got a stipend. They got a cost of attendance, So they weren't they were living a pretty good life, but now they can really capitalize and put away a lot of money during their college athletics careers. So if you want to compete, which again, if you compete you have success, that's where you make money and you need that. The athletic department really drives revenue for a lot of schools or it's a big factor in it. So this is just the new cycle. You got to share revenue. Therefore, you get good players. That gives you a chance to compete at a high level. And when you compete at a high level and have success, you generate more revenue. So it's everywhere, not just U of L. But we'll talk a little more coming up in the seven o'clock hour when it comes to just the impact that you're going to see as far as cuts and what it means for not just the non revenue sports but the major sports. All right, let's get an update on traffic and weather right here, right now on news radio eight forty whas