Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray w Bezst's Radio.
Speaker 2: There's a story that most of you probably have not heard of to date. The reason you have not heard of it is that the Boston Globe, Peter Abraham broke this story this morning. There's also a story from the Boston Herald, and it's a frightening story. It is a frightening story for all of us who are sports fans and for all of us who frankly are just human beings. I guess would be the best way to describe it.
Speaker 3: This This is a story about Jared Duran. He's the Red Sox center fielder. On most days play center field on left field.
Speaker 2: There was a there's a Netflix dot documentary that apparently is going to be available later this week. It's not available up until now, and it basically follows the Red Sox during the nineteen twenty four baseball season and it's entitled The Clubhouse. A Year with the Red Sox. So this this details a story that you know, all in all, it's a Netflix documentary, all in all, would be a fairly normal sports story about a team that you know, didn't have the greatest season. They had really a five hundred season, they were eighty one and eighty one. They're doing a little better this year, though they're losing tonight in a cold, damp Fenway Park. And the story which came out early this morning with Peter Abraham, who's been a guest on this show before, talked about how I quote a little bit from this story that Red Sox outfielder Jaron Duran, he's an All Star last year, attempted to take his own life during the twenty twenty two season. For those of you who are Red Sox fans, you might remember that he came up in twenty twenty one and he came up with great expectations, many of which he's now fulfilled. But as he was coming up, he wasn't. He didn't have the success at the big league level that he had had in the minor leagues. And as a matter of fact, there was one game that I remember, and I believe it's referenced in the article, that he's playing center field and ball has hit over his head and he just stands there. And he explained later that you know, he never he lost sight of the ball, which you know, for a major league outfielder is unthinkable, and so in the fourth episode, Peter Abraham writs in the Globe and you'll see his article tomorrow of the Clubhouse. A year with the Red Sox. This is sort of like what they did with the NFL teams, you know, they it's all they're just doing these these programs which are interesting. In the NFL, they call it hard Knocks, and they every year will cover one or two teams in their training camp from you know, late July until the first game of the year. But they covered the Red Sox for the entire season last year. And it's it's in the fourth episode. I don't know how many episodes there are. The episode focused on errors and other mistakes made by duran in twenty twenty two. Now at this point he's a major league ballplayer, and you know he's he's he's struggling with his success or in some cases, I guess lack thereof. And Durana's Quota is saying it honestly felt like a dark cloud over me because it's so easy to look past the positive things for me and to grab onto the negative things. I would think every day, I can't explative delete it, do this. I couldn't deal with telling myself how much I I, you know, explative deleted every day, Like I was already hearing it from the Fians, Like what did they say to me? It's like I haven't told myself ten times worse than that in the mirror. So this is a guy who's tough on himself. That was like a really tough time for me. It was a pretty low time for me. I didn't even want to be here anymore again, according to the Peter Abraham piece in the Globe, and they had been shown I guess some of the Globe reporters were given a preview of this and they had a they were told that they could not write about it. It was what they call in the media business and embargo until this morning. And that's the way in which some interest in the story is built. Duran is then asked by director Greg Whitley what he meant by that comment quote it was a pretty low time for me, like I didn't even want to be here anymore. Duran answers. I got to the point where I was sitting in my room. I had a rifle and I had a bullet, and I pulled the trigger and the gun clicked, but nothing happened. Duran said, to this day, I think God just didn't let me take my own life, because I seriously I don't know why it didn't go off, but I took it as a sign of like, all right, I might have to be here for a reason. So that's when I started to look myself in the mirror. After the gun didn't go off, I was like, all right, well, do I want to be here or do I not want to be here? Left unexplained, according to Abraham in the Netflix documentary, was why Durant had a rifle in his possession. That's of less interest to me the fact that he apparently went through and pulled the trigger. Now. In the article by Peter Abraham, Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said, look, his decision, meaning Duran's decision to share this story, is an act of coverage that reaches farby on baseball. By opening up, he's showing others who may be struggling they're not alone and then asking for help. Isn't just okay, it's essential. Sounds to me like this was spontaneous. I haven't seen the documentary. Some of the Red Sox writers have seen the documentary, but it sounds me as if he just made a comment to the to the filmmaker, and the filmmaker was listening to the answer to the answers and decided, okay, I'm going to follow up. So to me, it's an extraordinary story. Now that is not to say that there have not been you know, young major league players who have not you know, taken their own life. There was a story about a picture for the Los Angeles Angels might have been the California Angels at the time, guy named Donnie Moore, who most lover time Red Sox fans will remember through that home run pitch to Dave Henderson which are propelled the Red Sox into the eighty six World Series in the American League playoffs against the Angels. But Duran had not dealt with anything that horrific in terms of a big pitch on a big stage, and the game was that was decided by the pitch. So, you know, mental health, we would understand if a ballplayer is injured and you know, he breaks an ankle, breaks his wrist, he's out. We understand that. But to me, it's an amazing story and I am looking forward to watching this story and I'm hoping that some of you might want to comment on it now. Duran also had a problem a year ago and he shouted out an explictive deleted UH directed at a fan that he thought was gay when the fan had heckled him a little bit. Uh. In the article in the Herald, the Herald writer talks about some concerns that that he that that Duran has, and we'll get to some of that. But but what I'd like to do, Yeah, this is what the Herald writers said. I guess. At one point, Duran said. At one point midway through the show's runtime, Jared Duran compares the existence of a big league player to that of a zoo animal. We're in this big old cage, the outfielder said. People are trying to throw popcorn at you, get a picture with you, get your attention, scream your name. Yet, for all the fame and fortune, the mini ball players enjoy the clubhouse a year with the Red Sox makes a concerted effort to drive a simple point home. At the end of the day, these players, coaches, and staffers are all human, which is great to understand. This is I think it's an amazing story and we've we've seen the stories here in New England of Aaron Hernandez, the Patriots, uh tight end, who who ended up in prison and committed committed suicide in prison. So look, the same thing that affects all of us affects profess some athletes and celebrities of all sorts. So I'd love to have you join the conversation. I know you probably haven't seen the Netflix film, uh, the special this uh this Netflix Discovery presentation, but I'd like to like to hear what you think if you have, particularly if you've heard about the story. So you've heard it from me, maybe you've heard it on your own six one seven, two five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine thirty be right back here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: You know, there have been some ugly incidents in sports. Sports is something that for most of us supposed to be an enjoyable experience, and there had been ugly incidents in Boston. I remember when outfielder for the Orioles a few years ago was the object of some racial slurs. Pretty ugly incident. I remember being at Fenway Park. It's got to be I don't know ten or twelve years ago, and there was a player named Albert Bell who was sort of, you know, supposing a bad guy. I mean, you know, a good guy for the opposition wings him a bad guy here in Boston, and there was some punk kids, you know, in their teens or late teens, early twenties yelling you know, some really rough stuff at Albert also known as Joey Bell, and you know, Belle, it had some you know, some dumb incidents that he had been allegedly involved in. I think they were sort of domestic abuse type, ugly incidents. But these people, these guys were yelling stuff at Albert Bell, and I was thinking to myself, these guys had met him after the game, like out of the street, they'd be asking for his autograph, never mind yelling some of the stuff that they're yelling at him right now. And you know it shows the uh, you know, the lack of car or the coverage that people have when they know that these players cannot get at them. I mean, the the oil outfield was Adam Jones, who by all accounts is just a great guy. And you know, he happened to be a black ball player, African American player, and people yelling racial epithets at him. This was this was kind of recently, like you know, eight or nine years ago, something that Boston is not proud of. So, you know, in Duran's case, it sounds to me like he was cracking under the pressure. Uh. And thank goodness that he has had some success. And maybe by doing an honest interview in this documentary, this Netflix documentary, it'll help other people. I don't know. Uh, we normally don't talk about a lot of sports issues here, but this is much more than a sports issue. Let me talk with Lawrence in West Roxbury. Hey, Lawrence, I appreciate you calling in you first to Saturn Nitsig, Go right ahead.
Speaker 4: I've come to say is that people that come up in the major leagues, uh, you know, the big deal either you're going to make it or something could happen and you're never going to make it. And a lot of pressure on these young men, uh as they enter that period of their baseball career. And uh, you know, sometimes ordinary folks like us forget that and don't have a full appreciation of the pressure that's on them, and and that some of the things that could happen if they don't get help and assistance along the way so allows you to happen. And I can't remember all of the situations over the eighty eight years that I've been around, but the things have happened, and the young people come to the Major League said, there's unfortunate and pretty sad, and that's what I just wanted to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you're right. I mean again, most or many young young men, boys, you know, dream of getting to the big leagues. They obviously very few get that opportunity. And if someone is up there and they're not fulfilling their own expectations, and apparently Jared Duran and I remember his struggles. I remember watching him. He was up and down between Worcester and the Red Sox, and then eventually things clicked for him and he had he was an All Star last year. But to think that at whatever age it was, whether he was, you know, twenty four or twenty five or twenty six, that the pressure of Major League Baseball would cause him to not only contemplate, but actually to take the gun and pull the trigger.
Speaker 4: Boy, I never reached that point. But when I first was in the Air Force in Palotrain, I had a palot training instructor from Georgia and I'm from Massachusetts, and he wasn't quite sure that I'd appreciate Yankees in any way, shape or form. Yeah, And I had a couple of bad days in the pilot chating arena and there was some danger that I might be plunked out. And I remember how I felt. I didn't get to the point of, you know, thinking about doing something stupid, but it was a terrible, terrible feeling because I was out of my control, I can understand. And uh so I just wanted to say that and uh and I got by that. They sent me up to the head instructor and they had intectors and I was a good pilot training. Yeah, and I just got a sign to another instructor and that that's how it worked out, and it was fine. But I remember the feeling. It was just loud.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean yeah, yeah, And again you amplify that a little bit. Obviously, the pressure that you were under was a different type of pressure. You know, you were under pressure of life and death and if you made mistakes that could you know, that could come back to haunt you or other people. Ballplayers under the professorship perform so yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of a lot of similarities.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear I hear you, I hear you. I appreciate you taking the time, uh to call in Lawrence, and and I hope some others will will chime in. This is a tough subject to talk about. I wanted to have you know, a psychologist and expert type join us tonight, but where not fortunate enough to have someone who knows more about this than I do. But I'm i'd like, I just want to talk about it because people will read about it tomorrow, and I want him to understand that. You know, there has been some interesting, you know, other players who have h you know, ended their lives, and again we tend to forget them. But I'm looking at a list here and I'm surprised at some of the people who have who have decided, most of them post career. You know, Darren Durant, Jared Jared duran if he had ever accomplished what he tried to do, that would have been someone who did it, you know, at the height of his career, So that would have been that would have been a little bit different, a little different, as you know, in terms of timing let me put it like that. Anyway, I will let you run, Lawrence. I thank you for your call, thank you for your service. Good night. Oh go take a break if this is of no interest. I think it's a horrific story and I'm glad that it has not resulted in any damage. And I'm actually very glad that Duran has decided to talk about it because maybe it will, uh, it will be a lesson to other athletes that you know, it's nothing is nothing is worth that, and thank God that that bullet didn't go off. So we'll take a break. If you want to talk about it, great. If you're not, we'll do something else. We'll be back on Night's Side six one, seven thirty six, seven nine three.
Speaker 1: If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w B Boston's.
Speaker 2: News radio, Thanks Zanne, thank you very much. We're talking about a sad story, but it's actually a good story because it shows that Jaron Duran may be lucky that that gun didn't go didn't fire. He said that there was a bullet in the chamber and that it didn't fire. And he's now playing for the Red Sox and actually it was an All Star last year. He's doing really well, but it does. It is a lesson and tomorrow you'll see a lot more of this. I'm sure he's going to be talked. He'll have probably be asked about it after the game tonight and you'll see some of this some Netflix documentary. Let me go to Laurie. Laurie is in Idaho, and Laurie, I know you sent me a message earlier today about this story, but we actually had decided to do it even earlier in the day. It's a shocking story.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, it is, it really is.
Speaker 6: I was very surprised, and I appreciate the heads up. So yeah, it sounds like there's a little more going on than just he was not happy with his performance, but thank goodness that gun failed.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think the Netflix. I don't know if you read Peter Abraham's piece or the piece that was in the Herald, but I think that he's dealt with some of these issues. He was on a fast to get to the Red Sox and he kind of had, you know, we're kind of a stop and start in his first couple of years. But he's played in the major leagues and then has come back and now has established himself, so that pressure is off. But in the Netflix documentary, I guess he had some comments about he had his dad, and I hope he still has a good relationship with his dad. His dad was kind of a strict guy and wanted him to be successful, and felt his dad pushed him a little bit too much. I don't know, do you remember the play where I don't know if you saw this play, but he's playing center field, and I think it was a day game actually and not a night game. Just lost the ball off the bat, had no idea where it was, and just stood there sort of looking helpless, and the ball landed, you know, thirty five feet or forty feet behind him as the gun circles the bases. I mean, it was sort of an embarrassing moment. It's one thing to drop a ball, but it's another thing not to see it. I don't know if if that was a factor, as you know, in that decision, but and I know the fans were really tough on him at that point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I do. I didn't I didn't see that one, and I didn't realize that he mentioned it tonight, But I do remember him barking back at a fan and who was heckling him, and I just who knows. I mean, if he's if he's having trouble mentally and you just lose focus you're standing out there in the field and your mind wanders, or he's you know, obsessing on things for you know, like I said, like I think maybe his father's given credit for you know, having getting a career going that he's got. But I have a feeling he was probably a little bit tough on him, which I mean, I don't know. Yeah, and he also he could be thinking he's letting his father down if he's not, you know, performing, So I think there's a multifaceted reason. But I'm just really glad that gun didn't go off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking at this story Red Sox center field of Jared Duran gives up it inside the park Grand Slam because he loses the ball and then doesn't chase after it. He literally was standing there kind of looking totally confused and lost, and the ball went over zone. Even at Fenway Park, the most you're gonna get maybe is you know, a double, will give up a couple of runs. But he was just standing there. I'm looking at the video now, and he has no clue where the ball is, and I'm trying to see I'm trying to figure out the date on this, but it would have been it would have been at least a couple Yeah, it was in It was August seventh or twenty twenty two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, huh so, yeah, well, you know, it's funny that the radio guys last day were here. Was the first the second game they were, they clearly had seen or had in the preview of the thing. They had just kept making references to this little thing. But I didn't say anything other than everything Duran did that was good yesterday they were cheering all over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but by the way, it was actually I'm mistaken. It was a night game, and because you know, he didn't run after the ball because the one of the other Red Sox outfielders had gotten the ball. But it turned out to be an inside the park grand slam home run. They happen to be playing Toronto tonight. Uh, And it said fifty five seconds of Jaron Duran missing balls in center field. And yeah, I don't know if that was the only time or not, but the heading gears says, yeah, and there was one during during the day this one is was I think out in Kansas City, that was when he tried to catch and he just didn't get it. But the other one, the one in with against Toronto, it's just he's he's he's like looking up saying where is it? And thirty five feet beyond him, So he was I was, he was having some trouble.
Speaker 6: And I don't nobody's perfect.
Speaker 2: Nobody's perfect, and catching fly balls in center field in the major league park is a lot more difficult than people would imagine. They make it look easy. Hey, Laurie, exactly, Thanks, appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Good, I thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh, let me go to Phil in Boston. Phil, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 7: Okay, I'm not a big baseball guy, but I guess the only good news you can get out of this is that maybe someone's feeling kind of bad about themselves might take a lesson from this gentleman. When you mentioned that, and I didn't know anything about the missing the ball, that could be you know, you're you're young and vulnerable. That could be very impard your whole family. I mean, you know they don't judge.
Speaker 8: You for this.
Speaker 7: It's I don't know, I'm biting uple. I get you here. But I heard about this gentleman, and I get the gut a lot of credit for being out there and honest with people. Maybe given someone said, you know, if you're thinking about your flum counting school, they get caught in the stock. You know, maybe you know this whole, maybe you know it could be a lesson hopefully you know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean again to think you know there have been if if you google something like you know major league players who've committed suicide. He would not have been the first. There's a lot there, you know, over the one hundred years in.
Speaker 7: The chest guess his brain for the Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: As they said, I don't want to get into get into that. But Phil, the point that I think you're making is a good one, and that he mentions it. He tells the story. Hopefully there'll be some people who will take a lesson from it. I mean, it almost sounds like he believes, according to the one of the articles that that the bullet was in the chamber, the gun did go off. Let mean, let me tell you talk about surviving a near death experience. That would have been a self inflicted near death experienced.
Speaker 7: Well, luckily it wasn't familiar with weapons.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. Hopefully the next time someone's at the ballpark and they want to boot someone, they'll think about Duran.
Speaker 7: People pay money to go in and I mean, did you I guess, to go in there expose all these people throwing things that don't respect it. I mean, it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: I look, I think he may have overstated that a little bit. I mean, there was that play last in the in the World Series last year when Rookie Betts was trying to catch a fly ball and a couple of these idiot fans in New York kind of held on to him.
Speaker 7: All right, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: They've been being that's the that's the exception. I mean, look, you got to block it out of your head. They'll cheer you when you when you're doing well, and they'll boo you when you when you're.
Speaker 5: Not doing that.
Speaker 7: I don't know how you play baseball. You're a kid. I don't know how. I mean, getting cheating boon that can be kind of discoverishing. I mean was good.
Speaker 2: You know, you know, most of us, most of us be included. When you played baseball, there was never a big crowd. But you know, once you get to the minor leagues and then to the major leagues, there's a big crowd, and you've got fifty or sixty thousand people who are critiquing your work. I'm sitting here doing my show talking to you, and there's probably some people out there who are swearing at the radio and don't like me, but I'm not going to hear them. Okay, it's not like I got ten thousand people sitting here watching me.
Speaker 7: Do exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, hopefully it's a lesson for other people and hopefully that.
Speaker 7: Will und you could you pronounce how's this? How'd you pronounce the general's name? And how old is he?
Speaker 2: He's about twenty I think he's now twenty eight. His name is first name is Jaron j A r r e N Duran d u r a N. And there's young guy who you know, was identified as being one of these guys who was going to be a good and he did. He is. He made the All Star team a year ago, and he's you know, he's done very well for himself. But I'll say say he had that moment in time when.
Speaker 7: He sounds like a decent person who admits to what could have happened, should have happened? I think Amain. The thing here is he'll teach other people, maybe male, female, whatever, that maybe you can just go to off that little point and keep on going.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: What, unlesson here, A lot of people are going to see this when this Netflix documentary Discovery Channel you know is is shown, and I know that, I know that this publicity is going to make more people interested in seeing it.
Speaker 7: There's to see him on a boat with his family and a couple of kids, sailed down a Caribbean, relaxed and joined himself looking back on what should would have could have?
Speaker 2: You know, well, I think he's got to career in front of him, he's I think he's past the crisis point. Let's hope and he never worries. But but the this this series, it's a it's a documentary is going to be released tomorrow at the fourth episode, the Clubhouse, A Year with the Red Sox, in which he he describes this. So I'm sure it's going to be well watched by baseball fans.
Speaker 7: That A twenty five said, how is it going to be Discovery Channel?
Speaker 2: You got to you gotta have the to get the Discovery Channel it's on I think it's Netflix or something like that. I don't know, but I'm sure the newscast will cover it as well filmed. Okay, we'll take a break here if you'd like to chime in on this. I think I say hats off to Jared Duran for uh fessing up to this. I I have no idea if he had told his teammates about it. I suspect he hadn't. I have no idea if you talk to sports writers about it. I suspect he probably hadn't, because I think someone would have, you know, put it, put it out there previously. But this was a documentary by Netflix, and the story broke this morning. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe staff wrote, we've had Peter on the program. It's the fourth episode, the Clubhouse, A Year with the Red Sox, in which Duran describes trying to shoot himself with a rifle but the weapon did not discharge. I mean, what a tragedy, What a tragedy that that would have been. And thank God, as he says that the rifle did not discharge, and and I'm sure that he is I guess he has spoken publicly about struggles with mental health, which I suspect all of us at some point have a struggle, but it doesn't get to that point. And if you want to chime in, I'm gonna I'd like to finish out this hour six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty, six, seven, nine, three thirty. We're not a sports show, but this would be a big news story tomorrow. It'll be in both Boston newspapers. I didn't I watched a little bit of the Red Sox game tonight. They didn't watch the pregame show, so I don't know if they talked about it tonight. This might be the first time you're hearing about it. Feel free if you have a question, or if you have an observation, or if you yourself have ever been to that point where you have actually contemplated suicide, feel free to join the conversation, or if you're a a professional medical professional that wants to jump on here. We reached out today to a couple of people. Peter Abraham was not available. He's been on our show before. The Red Sox had a former major league pitcher named Bob Tewksbury, who I guess has a psychology degree, and for a while he was sort of a guy that was dealing with the with the players. I don't know that he's still is in the employee of the Red Sox. We tried to reach out to him today without success. But I'm reaching out to you six one seven four thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. If you've heard, if you've heard of the story, feel free if you have some comment you'd like to make. I got wide open lines. Be back in a couple of minutes right here on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a tough subject to talk about. Going a couple more callers, and I appreciate them taking the time. Let me first off go to Danielle in Worcester, and then I'm going to get kennon Waltham. Hi, Danielle, how are you hey?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 8: Happy Monday?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, a friend of mine calls it moan day, and today felt like a moan day with the with the weather.
Speaker 8: We had snow here, did you really not?
Speaker 2: No? No, no accumulation. I'm sure right, I hope no.
Speaker 8: The ground was too one, but it was coming if the ground was colder, it was coming down pretty good. From about seven am to eleven. Yeah, it's crazy. So I had some business to do in my car today. So I, being a very loyal and long time WBZ customer listener, I had w BV on and I was down a little bit low because I was, you know, preoccupied driving, and I heard him mentioned Jared Durant suicide. So I'm like, well, what the what. So I turned it up and I'm like, huh, And I don't have to tell you. It was like a jab in the stomach.
Speaker 10: He's a Wu socks guy, so you know he's in took get colder and have you know, we feel like another level of personal relationship in direct relationships.
Speaker 8: With these guys. So I was like, you've got to be kidding me. So, I mean, I actually get a lump in the back of my throat. It was really devastating to hear. But kudos to him for sharing that story and maybe hitting the hearts of the roots of some people out there, because you know, you matter. People need to understand they matter. Like it's never so bad you have to take your life. It's just not and you're not fixing the problem because you're leaving behind people to be so sad, so hurt, so upset for the rest of their lives on earth. So don't be you know, and maybe you're not thinking that it's selfish, but at the end of the day, it kind of is. And I think that's always someone that will help you. Don't do it. You're valuable, you matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got it so well, said Danielle. You've got to have the corrich to seek some help. I think this guy worked through on his own, and I think that he's sorr as a sign from God that the that the gun didn't go off.
Speaker 8: He pulled the I mean, that is the most unbelievable story. I mean believable, but just unimaginable, unthinkable.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, the documentary gets released tomorrow. It is episode four, and it's entitled Still Alive. What a What a title? What a title.
Speaker 8: Everyone's going to see you and it's it's just devastating. Suicide has always struck me. As you know, we've all had bad days. We've all said, oh my god, I just read to be gag. I mean, but no, I wouldn't rather be. I mean, to carry through that act of killing yourself is you've got to be in a place that I can't even very and I just it just I just feel like it's never bad, it's never bad enough. And we live in twenty twenty five where, you know, technology enables us to communicate so many ways. You can be behind a cup home, behind a screen, nobody has to see your face.
Speaker 2: I'd be remiss if I did mention, you know, the Samaritans that there's that twenty four hour hotline. Daniel. I so appreciate your call, particularly with the Worcester connection I get. I got to give a couple of minutes to kennon Waltham.
Speaker 8: He was kind of appreciate noise.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Danielle. Talk soon. Okay, Let's see you soon too, Okay, yes you will, gotcha looking forward to it. Ken is in wal Dame. Can't appreciate your calling. You're going to wrap the hour for us, Go right ahead, Ken.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 5: I remember the All Star Game last year and Durian was.
Speaker 11: Saying that he got on the phone with his dad and right before the game, I guess, and or when he heard that he made the team, and they both broke down in tears. And I was thinking, you know, kind of like what you said, this is every boy's dream, but.
Speaker 5: Boy that's a little over the top.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Well, now I think we know maybe why they are such an emotional moment for the film.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean I would think that anyone, you know, if they had a relationship with their dad and a lot of them. You know, guys, do you see this young guy who's a rookie coming up for the Red Sox and his parents are there. It seems that every game I watched the Sox over the weekend, and he was a relatively unheralded young player, and he's done very well. And he just signed I get think a six year contract or whatever in our an eight year contract, so you know, he's going to be with the Red Sox for a while. But yeah, I just think that it'll be interesting to see this there the the the documentary gets released tomorrow. I suspect that they will released some of this because this is going to cause a lot of people to want to watch this and see it for themselves. So Bill and hopefully it'll be a lesson you know that, Hey, everything doesn't go perfectly. He ends up as an All Star and I guess he was also the MVP of the All Star Game a year ago, which yeah, you know, you got a big hit in the All Star Game. I mean, it's not like being the MVP of a season, but certainly that's something that very few players can ever client can ever you know? Say so, Yeah, Ken, I appreciate you taking the time to call the people call tonight were really interesting because this is a subject that people are unfamiliar with. And I'm very much indebted to you, with Lawrence and Laurie and Phil and Danielle for filling out the hour with me tonight. I really do appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Do I have time for one more thing?
Speaker 2: Or yeah?
Speaker 11: I was just thinking about priorities and as much younger man. I think you probably remember Dwight Gooden and he had to leave baseball because it can addiction. And I remember one of his teammates. I don't remember who it was, but he said, you know, I don't care if he ever plays baseball again, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I just hope he gets better. Yes, And I remember thinking, what are you crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you must have been a Mets fan at the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I love Dwight good and uh, I just as I grew up, you know, even though I was an adult when this happened, I sort of started to get it that maybe baseball.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean, that's a that's a passing phase in everyone's life, you know, and and at some point it answer everybody, whether it's in little league or high school, or college or or professional baseball, it all, it all comes to an end at some point and hopefully, Jared Duran, we'll have a great career here in Boston. Hey, I can't thank you for calling in. I got a screwed here because I'm into the ten o'clock news. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk about the stock market at Trump tariffs on the other side. Hey, guys, you can fly like a pro this spring break. Download the fly logan app to pre book the parking and use mark my Car navigation and order your food ahead with Boston Go for pickup flylogan dot com or more information about contests on WBZ, visit Wbznewsradio dot com, slash rules.
Speaker 1: WBZ in Boston, w XKSFM, HT two Medford, and Iheartradiot Show. This is WBZ Boston's news radio. We defining local news.
Speaker 12: Thirty seven degrees in Boston at ten o'clock of evening. I'm Dan Watkins. Here's what's happening. Karen Reid's defense attorneys have sent another request to the US supre Court. This time, they're asking the nation's highest court to step in and delay jury selection as they consider another request to have two of the three charges against her dismissed. Meanwhile, no new jurors were added to the panel today. According to CBS News Boston, there's still just ten members of the jury so far, five men and five women, with the ultimate goal being sixteen jurors. Read's accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police officer John O'Keeffe in January of twenty twenty two. She's pleaded not guilty to second degree murder, manslaughter while operating under the influence of alcohol and leaving the scene of personal injury and death. Her attorneys say she's being framed. Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Nettan Yahoo visited President Trump and Washington today. He's the first foreign leader to visit the White House since last week's tariffs. Whether the visit succeeds in bringing down or eliminating Israel's tariffs remains to be seen, but how it plays out could set the stage for how other world leaders try to address.
Speaker 2: The new tariff.
Speaker 12: President Trump answered questions on his plan.
Speaker 13: We have many, many countries that are coming to negotiate deals with US, and they're going to be fair deals. In certain cases, they're going to be paying substantial tariffs.
Speaker 12: Meanwhile, the President says he's considering more tariffs on China. CBS Stacy Linn has more.
Speaker 9: Underterred by a volatile stock market, President Trump has threatened additional tariffs on China after Beijing retaliated.
Speaker 13: They put a thirty four percent tariff on above what their ridiculous tariffs were already.
Speaker 9: He issued China a new ultimatum remove its retaliatory tariff