Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to bat Flips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. I am your host this evening, Ben Carter. I am joined by Darius Austin. Darius, imagine not loving baseball couldn't be me. What did we see last.
Speaker 3: Night couldn't be me.
Speaker 2: It might be the best baseball game I've ever waved. I think it was. It was extraordinary from start to finish pretty much. There wasn't a moment that you felt like the tension and had dropped. I think the closest we got was maybe when the Chet hit the home run and it felt like, oh, maybe the boys are going to pull away here. But we can get into all of that. Yeah, it was. It was a tremendous game. Everybody watching it live was kind of losing their minds and they just sort of kept stacking things up on top of it as well. It was when you're like, already like that, this is ridiculous, and there did another six things after that that were also ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It was an insane game.
Speaker 1: It feels like we could do a five parta just on last night's game, and at some point I imagine there will be oral histories and stuff to talk through this whole series. But we thought, yeah, what an insane game. Let's jump on very quickly talk about some of the crazy things that happened. I cannot imagine being a fan of either at those two teams.
Speaker 3: I was. I didn't stay up late for it, Darius. I know that you did.
Speaker 1: I'll let you talk about what it was like to experience it life. I just watched the highlights this morning, made sure to get no spoilers, pulled them up on YouTube. I think it was a good forty minute package that m'll be blessed us with, and my heart was racing for about thirty eight of those forty minutes, just watching the highlights with absolutely no skin in the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Blue Jays fans who obviously are waking up devastated this morning. Dodgers fans who must be on cloud nine. I cannot imagine the rollercoaster of emotions. What was it like for you, Darius? I know you stayed up and watched it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What was your your heart rate like as that game went on, especially as the later when He's unfolded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty high. I was thinking while I was watching it that I have been in this position. I've watched the Giants in Game seven against the Royals in twenty fourteen, and that didn't really feel like this. This was almost more nerve wrecking. It felt like, if people remember, I think it was Alex Gordon maybe hit the triple in the ninth after Bumgarner had gone in his heroic bullpen stint, and it sort of seemed like he was cruising and then suddenly this triple came out of nowhere. It sort of felt like that, but for about three hours instead of you know, five minutes. It was ridiculous. I was like, I don't actually, like, you know, obviously I'd prefer the Blue Jays one, but like, I don't have a personal stake in this. I'm not a fan of his teams. And I was dying. Yeah, the poor fans of the actual teams must have been absolutely hearts jumping out of their chests because there were so many moments as well. It wasn't like a bunch of scoreless innings. It wasn't like the the epic Game three were actually mostly you know, we're setting down the lineups and the pitchen's doing it stuff. I think there was traffic on the bases pretty much every inning, a lot of hits, a lot of close plays, a lot of you know, bang bang defensive stuff that you just think for actually a second, either way, this game could have been totally different. So yeah, but I felt emotionally drained by the It was a fantastic watch. Couldn't really believe that it went on as long as it did either. And obviously we had some incredibly unlikely heroes as well, which was pretty cool. And I think maybe the most remarkable thing about about last night was just who ended up saving that game for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think we're going to get into all of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's rare that a game lives up to the hype, especially a World Series Game seven at the end of a US series, that it has been as good as this one.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I think it truly did deliver.
Speaker 1: I think we're going to try and just focus really on some of the things that happened in that game in this series as a whole. There will be plenty of time maybe for more of a reflection on you know, where this ranks among World Series games or among World series generally boring? Is this good for baseball chat? About whether the Dodgers are ruining the sport.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we have plenty of time for that in the off season, but I think right now it all feels very visceral and real, and maybe we'll just reflect on some of the stuff that happened. I know our podding colleague, Rachel was at both Game six and Game seven, obviously a huge Blue Jays fan who has supported the team. Yeah, since she was a little girl. I know she went with her dad. I think to both games must have been just an unbelievable experience. She might be able to jump in here and chat with us for five minutes about what it was like to be in the ballpark. If not, we'll try and make sure we can pin her down another times talk about that, because like, yeah, I can only imagine the level of emotion and feelings and things happening if you're actually in the ballpark. But maybe we can go back and forth a little bit at the start here, just talking and throwing out some of the most insane moments from last night. We don't necessarily have to stick to a certain order. It's almost hard to remember what order some of these things happened. In, but I think it's worth calling out some of the insane stuff that happened. Maybe we start, maybe we start at the end. Honestly, it almost gets forgotten that it was well to me, even though it was twelve hours ago or whatever, that Will Smith hit the game winning home run for a guy who had basically the biggest hit of the game, the go ahead home run that ended up being the difference. It almost feels like that will end up being like the fifth or sixth best remembered moment from this game. But wow, what an unbelievable moment for Will Smith. I guess we can combine that, maybe with just with that final inning and the game ending double play, and that in itself, like everything that went into it, the fact that Betts was the one to do it, having struggled all series, the fact that Bets and Smith swap spots in the lineup right before was at Game six, and that happened to you know, he was the guy gaming up the unbelievably clutch home run at the end. Almost the personification really of why this Dodgers team is so hard to take down, right because they have quality players up and down the lineup who can hit a home run at any time will get onto a less likely home run that was hit another time in this game, and who played really really good fundamental defense and that was on display, i think, especially throughout the final few unings of this game. But an underratedly difficult double play to end it by Betts, I think, going to his left having to then throw back across his body. Kaik obviously not a fast runner, but it was not routine. Yeah, what are your thoughts on Smith's home run and then the Dodgers managing to close it out when it looked like it could get away from again in the bottom of the eleventh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Smith is I think, yeah hit. It might get a little bit lost in all of it, especially because obviously there was maybe an even bigger home run to tie the game a couple of innings before, which we can talk about any minute. But yeah, it was kind of a surreal experience to watch it because that ballpark was so loud and everybody was so hypes, and it felt like even when the Dodgers had scored most of the evening, you know, they got back up quickly, and this was the real sort of deflating you know, you could just hear the pin drop, suddenly the air went out of the room. Yeah, Smith definitely got all of it. Shane Bieber kind of looked like he was cruising that inning and then suddenly the ball was out of the park and the ballpark was silent. I think Rachel Thomas it was one hundred and twelve decibels in the earlier in the evening they flashed up something on there. So if you're thinking to watching on TV, was it really loud and there, Yeah it was. It was really loud, fantastic atmosphere, So yeah, it did. It kind of felt like the Dodgers were just going to find a way even though the offense didn't really click ever in this series. You know that the most they scored was six runs. This is a team that averaged more than five runs a game in the regular season. So the bnja's did a fantastic job to limit them the way they did. And there was definitely, as I said that that point when home earlier in the game, he thought three nil already that this could be it. You know, just really struggled to score runs and you didn't think that they were necessarily gonna be able to do it. That evening and they you know, exit out in dribs and drabs and solo homers and sacrifice flyers, and yeah, it was it was not a Dodger's like offensive performance. But the thing about this lineup is they've got so much quality up and down it. And yeah, a guy like Bets is struggling, a guy like Freheim of struggling. It's okay, we've got tiny, We've got Will Smith. Yeah there's there's guys everywhere who can hurt you on this team. And yeah, an unreal moment for Smith to just hit that home runner. Guess he'll be a Dodger's legend forever now. But then the bottom of the inning up, he doesn't get more tense than having the tying run on third base, as in the bottom of the eleventh inning and games set the World Series.
Speaker 3: Hats off.
Speaker 2: I'm sure we want to talk about Yamamoto because the guy, the guy pitched the night before this. It wasn't like he's on the short rest. You know, he's said a day or two off. It's came out. He pitched in those six fantastic innings that I before, after throwing a complete game earlier in the week and he's just back on the bound and not not for like a couple of pitches. Is this was the third inning he was out there, and it looked like, you know, they weren't going to get the ball off him. Yeah, Flad coming up the first guy in that inning was not the guy he wanted to see. I don't think he hit a pretty authorestive double to set that up. But then, yeah, that double play, I think people I saw it live, I was like, oh my god, like, I think that they're going to tie this game up when the ball got hit, because I didn't think there was going to be time. And people have made a lot about Bets and his unreal transformation into one of the best defensive short sobs in baseball in his mid thirties. Pretty crazy thing to do. And yeah, I think that just typified what he'd done because he did make it look pretty easy, even though the amount of tension there was. That ball was not you know, a week out in the middle, and he just scooped it up and stepped on second and made a pretty clean throw to first. It was kind of seamless. So yeah, hands off to Mooki Betts, who's really struggled at the plate and just, yeah, a Moto World Series MVP. What more can you say about a performance like that? The dude don't like, Yeah, you'd probably have to tear him off the mound if they were going to get him out of that game because he wanted to be the guy who was closing that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was the best individual pitching formats across the world too, as I can remember since Bunar, and arguably even better given he went out in Game seven on zero days rest. Like you say, I don't know if that's happened before. I think probably last time it did would have been like the nineteen twenties or something. It just isn't something that has been done, never mind in modern baseball, but just since starting pitchers were, you know, given days between starts. It's absolutely unbelievable what he was able to do. And like you say it, it almost felt like if that game went thirteen, fourteen, fifty innings, he was just going to be like, I'm good, leave it to me, I've got this. We saw him in god, what would have been Game three that went eighteen innings? Right, he was warming up to come in to pitch, right, And that was again on maybe one day's rest because he pitched Game two, didn't he? So I mean, this guy clearly just wants the ball in his hands in the biggest spots and could care less about, you know, whether they will have his best stuff, just wants to be out there doing it. And an unbelievable tip of the cap for his World Series performance. I was among many who didn't necessarily think he was the picture that maybe we all expected when he first signed that contract. And this whole season he's been unbelievable. But this postseason has just got to a whole new level. And yeah, they will tell stories and write books and make films about some of his feats in this series. And look shoheo. Tani is special and always will be and had a massive role to play in this game and in this series. But really fitting that the Amamoto got World Series MVP. I just am out of words to describe what he was able to do in this series. You know, finding that groundball when you did it the most, just just summed it up. What an unbelievable athlete. Yeah, what an amazing performance in this series. Let's get back I guess a bit.
Speaker 2: Sorry go on that did also remind me there was the moment it didn't really come to pass. There wasn't enough time to dwell on it, but there was a moment during that inning where they cut to the ballpen and Clayton Kersher was warming up in the ballpen. Yes, and I thought back to our conversation about what are we going to get Clayton Kershew blows save in the World Series. It did career. Fortunately it was taken out of Dave Robertson's hands, but there was there was definitely a moment there where I thought they're going to tie this up and they're going to have to bring Cursher in because nobody else is left.
Speaker 1: It did feel for a moment that we were getting to that inevitable moment where Kershel comes in with option A and the save in Game seven of the World Series, in the final game of your Hall of Fame career, be blow it final time in the playoffs to endjo illustrious Hall of Fame career. So I'm quite glad that didn't come to pass, but it did feel that was really going to be on the cards for a moment there. And I will say one of the very cool things I think about a game seven, and this one in particular, given the just ability of the teams on displayers, it becomes like this crazy Avengers. You know, all stars, guys just coming out of the bullpen, no matter what, to pitch where you get, you know. I think glass Now came in, Blake Snell came in for the night, obviously, had the Ammamoto on the Blue Jay side, We had Bassett came into the game, obviously, had Beaver come into the game. Like all arms, whoever we need, you have to be ready to go, which is just yeah, unbelievable. Yay Savage, he came in, didn't he? I mean I love that about that, Like there is no tomorrow. You just got to throw everyone out there. We're going to see all of your best players, all the stars of this series out there one more time. So that I think is a really cool element of these, Like when I'll go home games, it's like you just got to you got to throw it all out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't remember one call at this, probably because we've never seen a team with talent call at this, but just show here. Tony tier, glass Now, Blake's and Mooto pitched in the same game and then the blue Jay's three shares and Beaver and your savage like this is, yeah, don't you just don't see this even in the World Series, it like it hardly ever happens that you get quite this volume of it. But it was remarkable to see, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: We should probably talk about the ninth inning, and yeah, I'll be interested to hear what what it felt like for you watching live. When I was watching the highlights, they were kind of making this big point in the top of the ninth about blue Jay's up by one. O'tarani has to bat this inning. You know, it was kind of like, we've got eight nine to one, no matter what, Otny will come up with a chance to tire the game. If someone gets on bass a chance to win it. And even during the the at bat that ended up tying the game from Meggy Rojas, they were talking about like, you cannot let rohats get on base here, you cannot walk here, but you do not want to have o'tony come up with a chance to give the Dodgers the lead. And I'm sure it felt like that a little bit watching it was like a just skip to the bit where Atani comes up and its game on the line, and he has to hit a home run to tie it, and almost people forgot that there were two batters to come before them, and especially Mickey Row who hadn't had a hit in a month before this game. He did get one a bit earlier in the game, didn't he but hadn't had a hit in this game and is never really has never really been a home run threat in his career. No offense to Mickey Row, who we've all come come to love, but certainly a sup utility at best. And it just felt like, so that's baseball, that he would be the one to turn on the pitch after a really good at bat and stick it effectively, no doubt, over the left field fence to tie it off. Jeff Hoffman, who to that point Colorado Rockies legend, by the way, to that point, had been lights out in the series and in the entire postseason for the Jays. Yeah, could you believe what your eyes were seeing? What was going through your mind?
Speaker 3: Is that night?
Speaker 1: Thenning unfolded and Rojas came to the plate, and it Twani stood watching him in the on deck circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think you're right. Nobody was even really looking at rows, they were thinking about O'tarani. I think somebody in one of the baseball chats said, who writes so tany scripts? It felt like this was going to be another WBC moment. You know, Otani comes up two out s bottom of the ninth to save the Dodger season. And even looking at the other guys, you know, and Rica Hernandez, you know, he's always had this postseason magic, he thought, or maybe he's going to do it again. And then Will Smith he was up after Tarni. Rowhaus was the guy nobody was looking at, certainly not to tie the game. He thought, oh yeah, maybe if they let one of these guys get on, then then Ty's got a better chance to drive somebody in. But nobody was thinking he's going to take Jeff Offman deep, I mean Rowhouse h one home run off a right handed starting picture, right handed picture full stop. I think this this season just unreal that it was sehim. He stepped up of ninety four ops he had against writes this season. If you were making the list of like who would you want in baseball, not just on these teams, who would you want in baseball to come up in the bottom of the ninth of the team down by one. Micguil Rohas would be very very far down that list against especially against the writing this is not a thing that should happen. But this is what makes baseball great, right, and this is what makes it so hard to predict. Anybody can be a star at any point. And I don't don't know if there's ever been a better personification of that than Rohas being the one to tie it, and to tie it on a home run with just yeah, really really shocking, not a wall scraper, as you say, just yeah, definitely got all of it. And I could not believe it. You know, I was just waiting for the Iffman could get him out. I did not think this was going to be the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took me back. I actually it took me back a bit to the would I Davis home run off Chapman for the Guardians back in that series against the Cubs in twenty sixteen, but in terms of like unexpected source of power. But I almost think like in that moment, we all knew that, like Davis was a tying run and this was you know, he just had to get hold of one.
Speaker 3: It would tire the game.
Speaker 1: It almost felt like we forgot here that Rojas was able to swing the bat and could do something with it. Just yeah, folklore instant for Dodgers fans obviously, who I'm sure couldn't believe their rise. Broadcast, couldn't believe their Ryes Stadium, couldn't believe their rise. It felt like an absolute pin could drop. But yeah, what a moment for Rojas. And yeah, like you say, what an insane display of what makes baseball so great in that moment. And then the bottom of the inning, I'm gonna mess up the sequencing of exactly what happened in what order here. I think Vladdy doubled to lead off right and got himself in scoring position with no outs. Then there was the bunt over to get into third, which is a pretty good bunt and actually very well fielded, but it was that smell at that point. Who or am I confusing this with the eleventh thing? Now?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I confusing this to the eleven So I think I think Vladdy bloody looked like he got one. That's right, Yeah, deep fly pinch run. Of course, the I KF which is why he was in the game. And then I think Barja walked and then there was a little bit of bench clearing action, just just a little cherry on top. Why not having the benches clear as well? World Series Game seven when well, I think it was not remotely intentional, but yeah, it was still quite quite intense.
Speaker 3: That in the ninth inning.
Speaker 1: I can't believe that. I thought that was earlier in the game. Maybe, yeah, you might be right.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think now, maybe I'm thinking of a different thing. So this is what this is what last night was like. There was so much going on.
Speaker 3: I knew this was going to happen. I think the bench clan was a bit earlier in the game.
Speaker 2: But there was a hit in the ninth it was it was Young Motor hit Kirk. Yeah that the hit by pitch roblet Ski, wasn't it. Yeah, yeah, I'm thinking of that one. Yeah, So Yamo Motor hits Kirk and loads one out and then one out, which I think, yeah, yeah, I get And again then you thought the Blue Jays are going to are going to win this again. And Andy Paes comes into the game, and first there's this ground out, which is they get they get the force at home barely, and there's a replay moment where Will Smith's foot he reaches for the football ball and it lifts up and it comes off the plate and just in time, just before Isaiah kind of flaffer can get home. His foot comes back onto the plate. But we are talking fractions of a second here, so so easily could have been different timing and ike to a dreadful lead off the third base.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, I think screenshots came out, didn't they if he was like a couple of feet off the bag at third, maybe out of fear of having another game set ending and being doubled up getting too far off the bags.
Speaker 3: Obviously the inn field was all drawn in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if he was just a moment where his mind went blank and he kind of forgot that it would be helpful to be a bit further down the line when a ground ball wins the game. But he wasn't far enough off the bag. And then I think as well, he chose to slid into home, and I think, actually, if he sprints through home rather than sliding again, it was so close, maybe that's enough to beat it out. And then there was the awful moment where there's instant replay has his foot lifted off. As you said, it's like, oh my god, the World Shows is about to end on instant replay.
Speaker 3: In New York.
Speaker 1: Fortunately, they decide that Will Smith kept just enough toe on the base right before kind of for Leffer's. Yeah, foot crossed over. So that was insane, Yeah, to get us to two outs. And then as you say, Andy Parters comes into the game, and I.
Speaker 2: Mean watching this live, you could see that Hernander's just had the terrible ball. So any Clement, which you know, again, any Clement I think set the record for hits in a postseason, which is just ridiculous sentence to say. I know the postseasons longer now, but still only Clement come on. So only Clement hits this deep flyball to left field, and you can see that key K is just not he's not under it, he's got it wrong. He's kind of scrambling, he's looking over his shoulder, he's running towards the wall. It's like, I don't think he's going to make this catch. And out of nowhere, Andy Pye's he comes barreling into the frame. He reaches up, he gloves the ball, and obviously he runs directly into Hernandez and somehow still holds onto the catch to save the game. I was I think I actually shouted out loud at that point because I couldn't believe that Pie hasn't made that play and he literally choose to come into the game for Tommy Edmund to play center field, and immediately the ball finds him and he saves the Dodger season. Unreal.
Speaker 1: See, I think, like you say, Nana's completely misulger saying it off the bat. I you know, it kind of look like a fairly routine flaball. And I know everything Clement has hit this playoffs has just found grass, and so wouldn't have been a shock if he just hit one that found the gap. And like you say, the minute the camera pans you see Hernandez first tracking towards left center, then effectively running at a dead sprint backwards. You're like, he's not got this. He would have had to have performed an unbelievable basket catch or bring that in. I look like he wasn't even going to get a chance to do that. And then Pahez and smartly, I guess maybe Paez goes high to catch it up in front of the wall. Thereby at least there wasn't the awful you know, like clash of arms, is that both gloves go for the ball. He was well above Key k Hernandez as he made the catch, and then how he managed to hold on. I do not know one batter into the gay having just been brought in in case they need a stronger rhyme in the outfield. I don't think Tommy Edmand makes that play. I'll say that. And then there's this again, the shock silence of oh my god, did he catch that?
Speaker 3: He did?
Speaker 1: We're going to the tenth and at that point, yeah, Blue Jays fans must have been wondering which which god out there had it out for them, because it just felt like whatever they did, I just found a way absolute and sanity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was That was really the way it felt. It didn't feel that the Dodgers had controlled the game, but it just seemed like every time there was a moment that the Blue Jays could have taken it away, they just sort of clung in there and and things broke their way.
Speaker 1: It was I mean, yeah, there were other moments too that we could talk about. I think a few unbelievable defensive plays that force out a home I guess to start with that was Rohas as well, right where he kind of stumbled and then through the I kf probably should have beat it out, but still to kind of make that play stumble, get the throw home strong enough and accurate enough to get the out I thought was unbelievable. There were two amazing defensive players of the Blue Jays that come to mind. I think varshow and center field had a diving catch that if he had misjudged, would have scored at least one run, possibly two when they were runners on base. I think that was the sack fly the first that's right, bases were loaded.
Speaker 2: It was one of those where Vartio is running in and if he dives and if he misses it, it's going to go, you know, right past him to the wall. The bases are going to clear. Might want have been a triple as well if he'd missed it. So yeah, it was absolutely crucial that he caught that ball. And Varsio has been like that all postseason. He's made some remarkable players for the Blue Jays. Really saved a lot of runs, I think, and a lot of them he's done where you don't really realize. I can't remember which game it was earlier in the week, but he sort of got one, I think the Freeman hit and when it came off the bat, you were like, well that's double. Vartio sort of caught it like it was quite a routine play, but I think he covered the colossal amount of ground to get there. And it's one of those where if you have a bad sent fielder out there, they're not getting it close to the ball, and if they are, they're making some sort of spectacular diving attempt and he just got it on the run. So yeah, really underrated how Goodton Vartio is out there, and he really showed up this season. And then we have the flat first base, which was extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Such a good play, and that that was Edmond right, and again they were runners on base at that point, right, and it's scolded down the line and Vlad lays out makes the catch and he had an unbelievable defensive series, didn't he. I'm thinking back, there was a double player in this game where he made a great throat of second and they doubled up Freeman at first when Ottani was running and he wouldn't have had time to go to the bag and throw. He had a not double player in this series, but the play where he came off first base, picked the ball and then made a perfect strike throw to third for an out. I think it's easy for us to, well, I don't want to speak for you, for me to look at Laddie and go, that's a guy he's only ever going to give you value with his bat because he is a larger human being who is not the most flexible guy in the world, but he has turned himself into an asset of first base right and he I think save the Blue Jays runs multiple times this series with his glove and deserves a ton of respect and credit for that. Yeah, he's you know, not going to win a goal glove anytimes, you know, I don't think. But he is so consistent, so solid over there, and made massive plays when the boodieth needed him too. So yeah, again, another one of those guys who just when the lights shine brightest, he he has missed a dependable Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I hear from from Blue Jays fans who've been watching them a lot is that he has really played well at first base all the season. This isn't just a you know, Nick Cassius in the playoffs thing this is this is a trend that's he's shown all year, so I think he has worked really hard at it. And yeah he made some yeah just visually very impressive players, arm strength, the dive, he just you know, he look he looks pretty athletic out there now.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trying to think of what else I guess the yeah, the bench is emptying was insane where it was for a Blessie pitching, wasn't it? And and and just him and as batting and he did he went up and in? Was it? Three pitches in a royal certainly three times in the at bat with fastballs, which I kind of get if you're you're him, and edge would probably be a bit annoyed when that first third one by you up in and actually catches you where it's like he doesn't really crowd the plate. Fine, if your skyling report says go up and it and go up and in, but to miss three times or not far away from his chest neck head, I can see why you'd be a bit annoyed. I do think at some point you have to think, I don't think they're thurring at me as a number nine hitter in the World Series Game seven, in like the sixth thinning of a one run game seems unlikely and maybe calm ahead should have prevailed at that point, but look, emotions are running higher in this game, right, and so I get why people were ready to go, and that just happened to be the sort of spark that did it. But that was a sort of bizarre moment of oh oh, the bench said, oh oh, the ballpens are clearing to Okay, sure, why not? This is one thing this game's been missing. So again, that must have been bizarre to watch live. And you know, give five minute respite from the tenth baseball to have a few men stand around and hug each other in a big circle on the infield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the pitch before he did, he kind of looked like he moved his hand towards it him and as it was as wasn't really an avoidance of the pitch. But then, yeah, I think I don't know if anyone's had the lip reader treatment on Robleski, but I think he was saying something to the effect of, why the f would I be trying to hit you at this point? But yeah, that was that was I think what most of us were asking, why why would you plug Andreez? But yeah, and entertaining to still say that that was the opinion that him had of the event. Even if I'm watching anybody else really believe that.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe to speak a bit more generally about the series, then the that bottom of the Blue Jays lineup, it felt like constantly you were just a menace, weren't they, And you know, him and Az didn't have a great season for the Blue Jays, and even in this World Series, it felt like he may be one of the weak links in this lineup, but you also had guys on there who were just contributing time and time again. Alison Barger ended up getting moved up the line for this game, didn't he I think he was in the five hole, But he hit something like five hundred in the World Series, which is just insane. They could not figure out a way to get him out, even when it seemed like when he got beat by pitches, he was finding ways to line them.
Speaker 3: Into left field and get the barrel there. He was outrageous.
Speaker 1: Only Clement, like you said, Anie Barry Bonds, Clement setting the postseason record for hits he was just a total machine. Again, they could not figure out a way to get him out. So it did feel like they're the Blue Jays line up, you know, perhaps less heralded than the Dodgers, it felt like they had the edge there where it was like they're just seemed at times like there were no weak spots here, and that for all the amazing talent the Dodgers had in their rotation especially and in their football pen at times that you just.
Speaker 3: If you made a mistake to anyone, it was going to get punished, you know.
Speaker 1: And the Blue Jays we was so so good at just consistently getting traffic on base, making them pitch on the duress, forcing them to, yeah, to make great pitches, and oftentimes as well having his runs on base, then taking a base when a world pitch happens, and just constant, constant pressure and stress that Dodgers have to deal with. So I think that to me, it was the kind of constant through the series was just the Blue Jays lineup being unrelenting. Shout out I guess to George Springer too, who clearly very injured in both Game six and Game seven, not just playing through it, but playing really well through it and managing to get you know, key hits at key times.
Speaker 3: You know, what a warrior.
Speaker 1: I know that the Blue Jays fans love him, but he definitely cemented his legacy with them in this series. But yeah, that stood up to me. He was just how good this lineup was top to bottom in the whole series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they really, They all played well. Springer when you sort of hear in the regular season, well he'd play if it was I think that was that was definitely Springer this week. You know, you obviously sort of could play, but I don't think he ought to have been out there from like a medical stuff point. It's just this is the last game of the season and I am going to be out there if I can possibly move. So here we go. Same with him, and is the obviously is not right and you can still hit, but you can't run. And so I think he was just gutting through it. Yeah, they were. Some of them were on their last legs, I think, but they all played fantastically well. Very interested to see.
Speaker 3: Sorry with the knee.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean that home run if we didn't even talk about it, but like Holly, like what a moment where who was it in front of him they intentionally walked.
Speaker 3: Was it Flad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe it was.
Speaker 3: He must have been right.
Speaker 1: And then it was first pitch to him, right Toney threw and he just I mean and talk about a no doubt home run to the deepest part of the ballpark, the backdrop, the sort of slow limp around the basis that in itself just felt like, oh my god, what like that? At the time, felt like we've just had our World Series moment before there were fifteen more of them to come. But playing on one leg, as you say, to have a.
Speaker 3: Moment like that is was just insane. And he ended up being the.
Speaker 2: I mean, was causing all sorts of controls anyway, because they were giving him a lot. Also, you could tell that the control was just not there. You know, he threw a lot of pretty uncompetitive pitios. He was throwing them hard, but a lot of them were not going anywhere near the strike zone. So I think it was a little bit of a bridge too far for him, and he kind of got away with it through the first couple, but you could tell he didn't have stuff, and obviously Roberts immediately pulled him after he gave up that home run for Robleskus, So yeah, it didn't didn't get to see the best of Otani, but obviously he was on short rest and this was the best way to get him in the game because obviously they were allowed to keep the d H if he started it. So yeah, I think they maybe got a little bit lucky to only get away with three runs in some respects the way that he started watching it with the sequence of events. But yeah, not Otany's finest game in this post season, which obviously the bar has been set very high. So I mean he's still he still had a couple of hits, right, h Yeah, he didn't, didn't pitch great, but he's still I mean, and he's at the plate, he is he is terrifying. But yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: It wasn't necessarily going to be the the Atari game, and that much was quite clear quite early when when he didn't quite have it on the mound. And I have some sympathy for Snyder when it comes to those millening breaks because I generally think we should make special exceptions for players as special as Otani, and that because no one else does what he does. Having the special DH rule in place and other things that just allow him to do what he does without the rules being a hindrance is a good thing. But I also think if you're going to have those rules in place and allow him to hit and pitch and stay in the game, he then should be when he's done hitting, rushing back out to the mount and getting ready to pitch again. He shouldn't be given the benefit of an extra five minutes to very slowly take off his batting gear and very slowly come back out to the mound and very slowly warm up. So yeah, while I understand that we want to see him as best, we don't want to have an injury because he rushing from the plate to get back on the mound. I also think, like, hey, this is a massive competitive advantage if he's allowed to catch his breath after every app bat he has and get back on the mound and do things in his own time. So I have some sympathy for Snyder on that. I don't know if that's something that he'd kind of been doing throughout the season and we only noticed it last night because of the stakes, but that does feel like something where as they say, my head would have been on Mars if I were a Blue Jay's fan watching him get that extra special treatment there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the first inning it was maybe a bit more understandable because I believe he ended the inning on third base, so he spent the whole inning on the base paths sort of moved up on a couple of outs then, so then it was like, now he's got to run back to dug out, get rid of the pitch, and go out. But as she trying to point out the second inning, you know that that was not a problem that he had. So it was a little bit of a yeah, why are we still doing this the same thing that we did after the first inning when yeah, he made an out. Yeah, I see his perspective, and fortunately it didn't end up being like a deciding factor in the game. I was kind of a bit worried, you know, that he was going to picture Jim after all this extra time, and then we would have show hatty too much warm up time discourse. But that quickly sort of became a non issue with everything else progressing the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that became like the thirty fifth most interesting talking point from the game, which which is a relief and I guess number thirty six and very quickly forgotten, like how good was mad Max in maybe his final starts, possibly his final postseason start. I think we all assumed he might be done after an inning or two and it would kind of be let's see what he's got in the tank, And he ended up pitching into the fifth I think, and looking really really sharp.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I obviously didn't see every pitch, but from what they showed, he really had the Dodgers hit us off balance and probably you know, if they didn't have all the quality arms available to bring in, could have gone, could have gone deeper. So I always hate to see a picture as great as he has been put in a spot like that where it's like, oh, are they just gonna look a sad shot of their former self and be the reason the Blue Jays lose this game? But no, he stood up, was counted, had his awesome moment walking off the mound and getting the edulation of the crowd, So that again so quickly forgotten, but well worth a shout.
Speaker 3: Out that he was was absolute nails for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was very mad Max thing to do, after having looked pretty being on the Alds roster, for him to come out there and be like, don't you know who I am? You know, I'm Max Siez And I got this, and certainly through the first three innings he looked pretty comfortable. Things got away from a little bit in that that fourth obviously, but Vasha made that that catch to kind of save the inning, and I did wonder whether we were going to get, you know, more, when he was being removed from the game, whether we were going to get more of a Max objection because he had he hadn't thrown that many pitches. But I think even he knew that this did the time. I think this is the fourth time now that he's started. They had some graphic I think, you know, a World Series elimination game. I think it might be the fourth time he started on them, which not many people have done obviously, because you don't get crazy unless you have a very long career, and I think he's obviously done it for several different teams at this point in time as well. Yeah, quite an unusual start to have, but yeah, I love Max. I don't know whether we'll see any more of him, and if we do, I'm kind of nervous that it's not going to go very well. But it was really nice to see him have a pretty good start in this massive game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he started twenty nineteen Mod Series Game seven, didn't he for the Nationals? Obviously in a game that they ended up winning. Was that the most recent Word series games even tho if we've had one since then? But I mean, yeah, still awesome for a guy to start two separate World Series. Game seven's for two separate teams. Would have been awesome if you could have ended up on the winning side of both. But I think testament to how good he's been for so long and how he's the guy you won on the mound in those big spots.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was that was very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we could talk more about this game. I don't know if you want to talk about some of the other games. Where do you stand on Game six? Ball stuck in the bottom of the wall, called a dead ball by the umpires? Runners stay on second and third. I'll let you go first. I don't think it really mattered in the end, right because the runner at second gos strandy, which ultimately was a tying run. But did you feel the Blue Jays were hard done by the decision there to call time and put both runners on second and third.
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty clear that that was the right decision by the rules. I think it's emblematic of the fact that the Blue Leay just did not really get any of the luck going their way these last couple of games, perhaps the most emblematic, just like, come on, can we have one give us one break? Give us that was kind of yeah. But yeah, I know that lots of people are getting mad about it, But yeah, that is the rule. You know, are pretty clear about this. I don't think there's you know, if you ask anybody who umpires, they're going to say the same thing. That is the clear correct decision. So I don't think there's a controversy in that regard. I think it was just bad luck for Toronto, and we saw quite a lot of that over the last couple of nights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm in agreement.
Speaker 1: I think people are getting stuck up on the fact that the ball could have been easily taken away from the bottom of the wall. Obviously, when the ball was removed, it wasn't lodged in a way that it was impossible to get out. But I think the rules, as you say, are super clear on this like, when the ball is stuck like that, the one thing you cannot do, as the fielding player is try to remove it and then decide that actually you can't because once you try to play the ball, you are then stuck. So completely the right decision from well just sent a fielder whose name I'm blanking on, who came into the game for like four total outs in the world, isn't managed to find himself in the center of that controversy for pitting his hands up immediately and noticing that the ball was lodged.
Speaker 3: Insane luck that the ball.
Speaker 1: I've never ever seen a ball get stuck out the roy just center before you see it sometimes like in other stadiums where there are walls like at Wriglio as the Ivy, I've never seen a ball mount of wedge itself between the foam and field like that, which again speaks to their bad luck. But I think the rules are super clear in that that was the correct decision and as I said, ultimately didn't really matter because yes, maybe that run from third scores, but that run from second wouldn't have. And then the double play to end it another just insane moment, an insane series, but kik Hernandez, as you say, always seems to find himself at the center of something crazy when it comes to these big games, this time getting a great jump on that the line, driving line drive to left field, making the catch, throwing to second base where Row has made an excellent pick for the double play to end. It hard to pin blame on whoever that was at second who's strayed a little bit too far off the bats at Barger, But.
Speaker 3: Another insane way for the game to end.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yet another insane way for the game to end. Yeah. I think the sort of this, generally speaking, we have seen maybe a bit more pretendency towards aggressive base running. I think the numbers suggest that maybe base coaches are a little bit too safe in the aggregate, and that they don't take risks quite as often as they should. I think this Blue Jays seems been pretty good at pushing the boundaries and sort of extracting some extra value out of lots of bits of the game. But yeah, it was another thing on a night of you know, very small margins of Could the Blue Jays have easily won this game? Yeah? They absolutely kids, just only what scored three runs. So when you think about the ball stuck in the wall and this. Yeah, it was kind of just one of those nights where you felt that nothing was going to quite pan their way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the theme through the series.
Speaker 1: I guess we should talk as well of skipping around a lot here, So feel free to take this somewhere else. But trey Ya Savage and what he did through the series and especially in Game five, a story that's been talked about a lot in that he started the year out in single A. Hia obviously, worked his way up through the different rungs of minor league baseball, ended up pitching in the World Series, which in itself is an absurd story.
Speaker 3: But then that performance with.
Speaker 1: Twelve strikeouts in six innings was it, I mean, just an unbelievable pitching performance against one of the best lineups in baseball, given the circumstances, given yeah, the opponent, given his experience level. It was yeah, absolutely insane and would have been one of the main storylines if the Blue J's had managed to hold on, of course, overshadowed at the end by Yamamoto who said, that's cute. I'll do the same thing, just you know, without ever having to rest or sleep. But I think worth a shout out to Trey who. I mean, the Blue Jays could not have asked for anymore, and when they probably needed a dominant starting pitching performance, you know, ended up relying most on the twenty one year old kid who'd you know, never never played a Major League baseball game before about August.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's this was his eighth start in the majors. You know, he's made three in the regular season and five and seasons. We've alstill got any appearance out of him last night as well, which is kind of nuts. But yeah, most most strikeouts by a rookie in a World Series game. First time anybody's ever struck out twelve without walking the batter. I think he's going to be fascinating to see what happens next season. And there's been loads of speculation as well, you know, is it because he's got the high arm slaugh of people just not used to seeing him. But I think we saw his attitude. I think before he came out for that first post season start, he was just like, I'm built for this, I'm ready, you know, let's let's go. It didn't seehim phased by the pressure at all. He was really looked like he was worn to be there pretty much, So wonderful performance from your savage And yeah, the Jays and we've seen lots of draft pics get to the majors quite fast in recent years, but yeah, for him to be drafted last year and then playing this role for them this year is pretty nuts.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dominated the Yankees in the DS as well, didn't he? And of course the league will with a Joss. He always due to pitchers who could come in as rookies. But seeing the way his stuff was working in Game five and that splitter especially just looks like like when that pitch is good, it kind of doesn't really matter how many times you've seen him. I think he's going to be very effective with that. So yeah, it almost becomes yeah, interesting to see how that plays out in future years.
Speaker 3: But what an unbelievable.
Speaker 1: First go around for him in a way to embed himself in the hearts and minds of Jays fans. We could probably keep talking from the forty five minutes about this, but is there anything in particular you want to call out, whether it be that we've missed from Game seven or just from the series in general, that we need to note now knowing we can probably come back in a week when our brains are less scrambled and talk about it a bit more from a big picture perspective. But yeah, any other standout moments for you that you think we should call out before we call it a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure we've missed loads of moments that people are yelling at us. I guess, you know, Tony being on base nine times in a world serious game and also hitting three home runs is sort of the faintly absurd thing that we've just come to expect from him doing. You know, people start saying things like, this is the show here, Tony game. You can't have the show. It's just another show how Tarney game, isn't it? And there are too many Atorney games at this point in time. I think there are probably at least four or five already you could call the Otorney game. He's just remarkable. And I don't blame Schneider for just saying I'm done, let's give him the Bonds treatment. We're not facing him anymore.
Speaker 3: Just take first.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty incredible. I think I think Will Smith not not just for the home run, but you know, he caught every inning of this old series, including one game that was two games and and still was there in the eleventh inning of Game seven hitting a walk off home run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Real, just incredible stuff from Will Smith. He's had to just carry a load. The Dodgers have just not had a backup catch they can trust. They can't put Smith at d H anyway, so he's in this situation where he kind of has to go out there and be the guy for them. And that's a really difficult thing to do when you've already played a four season as catch it and then playing another month, and and not just in a role where you're sort of doing a timeshare, but playing the amount that Smith does. It's pretty remarkable. So yeah, out to Will Smith for a great postseason. Yeah, and yeah, I think that's about it for me. If the's anyone else that iarticularly one single out, I think we've touched the main points. Just a tremendous world series all around, really, and we thought that it was it was shaping up to be a good matchup, but I don't know that anybody could have expected it would be quite this good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, maybe we'll finish with that.
Speaker 1: I'll throw it to you and we can maybe work out just obviously while it's all very raw in our brains, but we'll kind of wear this ranks in World Series that you've watched in your lifetime, and same for me.
Speaker 3: It's higher up. I'll say that right now.
Speaker 1: Last thing I'll say just on that eighteen inning game that in itself obviously just absurd A Fernie Freeman.
Speaker 3: Who else I was?
Speaker 1: You know, as quite a few of us were awake in time to catch the final inning of that game to finished.
Speaker 3: I think it was about quarter.
Speaker 1: Past seven UK time or something like that in the morning, So that was insane to wake up and start watching a bit of breakfast baseball. And of course it was yeah, Fredie who who ended things in the eighteenth shout out in that game to a friend of the pod, Will Klein, who I don't think many people.
Speaker 3: Had heard off before the World Series started.
Speaker 1: May even have forgotten about now given everything else that happened, but wow, what a nails performance in that game to go. I think it was three innings in the end or certainly two plus against has mentioned a very formidable lineup and get key outs for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: I mean, they don't win the World Series without without that performance. So shout out Will Climb.
Speaker 2: Yeah I knew, I forget someone Will clinb The people who don't know. Will Cline is, you know, a middle reliever, not a preferred middle reliever for the Dodgers. Just a guy, you know, kicking around on waivers kind of guy. Definitely not throw seventy plus pictures type of guy. I believe he doubled his previous career high in pictures in this game. And yeah, for him to reel that off when they just they had nobody else, he just had to keep going out there. And I think that that care of ball he snapped off to finish the appearance when clearly he was done, you know, there was there was nothing left, and he still somehow found it in himself to do that. Yeah, that's an incredible performance and right up there with Rohaus as unexpected heroic performances from guys who just didn't I think we're even going to be in these situations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it felt like a series full of just those moments as players have just Yeah, we'll look back and be unable to believe how good it was. So yeah, well I guess for me, and again it's very fresh in the mind. So but it feels like one of the best Worlds hears I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Following I kind of wish I'd been able to watch more of it live. I'd salute the Blue Jays fans Dodgers fans who were able to stick it out for all the games in the series of certainly majority of the thing. I know there were some really great turnouts that Patty Young avenue for watch parties to see it.
Speaker 3: I wish I was able to do that Game one. I was actually in the US four, so I watched.
Speaker 1: It in the airport as we were flying out the very start of game one, but the rest of it, and unfortunately was unable to make the sleep sacrifice work. But yeah, from what I did see, I think this is up there with maybe that Cubs Guardians World series back in twenty sixteen would stand out to me as one of the greatest of all time. That Giants Royals World series. I'm sure you'll mention where Matt bum did his thing. Trying to think of other Cardinals Red Sox, that was the Crazy World series with the freeze.
Speaker 3: Off the Wall.
Speaker 1: Sorry, no, that was card That was Cardinals, who are they playing in that World series? Tigers, Rangers, Rangers? That World series was crazy. That was kind of right when I started getting into the sport. So I think there have been other World Series that have had insane moments, games that have obviously gone six or seven games, but this one feels like, for just how every game had kind of insane storylines and moments that it might be one of the best of the twenty first century. But yeah, where does it rank for you among those that you were able to follow and watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right up there with the Cubs World Series, I think obviously, I personally have watching watching Bumganner come out of the ballpenders and then just finishing the game for like, you know, after pitching five plus innings is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I don't think the rest of the series had the level of ludicrous moments that this series did. And even that Game seven was not like this Game seven. It was not not the same back and forth. It had that that thing, that thing that people are always going to remember when you say, Madison Bumgarner, You're gonna be like Game seven twenty fourteen. Yeah, remember that but it didn't have all the moments that we just talked about. I don't think we could have done a whole podcast of here's the great moment in that game seven, it was just oh, Madison Bumgamon came out, and then maybe the worlds are going to turn it around the ninth They didn't that. That's kind of what happened in that game. Yeah, that Cubs World Series and the rag Davis moment and the fact that you know, all the weight of history on that game as well, I think sort of elevated that that one. I guess the other one that comes to mind, which maybe is tainted by history now, is twenty seventeen with the asterism. Yeah, we'll obviously never know to what extent, if any the Astros had any banging schemes or otherwise going on, but that was a remarkable matchup. They had some just absolutely thrilling, high scoring back and forth. I think it was it was a game five back then that was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, but games brings home run in that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Games even was not as good as the one, and I think I think in terms of sheer, like can you believe that happened? Moments, I don't remember a world series like this ever happening. We can all remember the one or two, you know that, the David Freeze kind of moments, but you know the things. I'm sure we have missed other things that we're not mentioned, But there were so many ludicrous performances, Yeah, shocking turns and yeah, entirely being ridiculous and Will Klein and Rojas and yeah, all the things that we've said today and manymore. I can't think of a world series that had all of that and was as competitive as this on top, you know, I think that really did have everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I like you say.
Speaker 1: I think when there's probably a fun discussion for another time when we get into the dark days of winter and no baseball. But for like historic importance, you know, the Dodgers going back to back ho hum, maybe doesn't have the same ring to it as the clubs snapping their drought or like White some Red Sox or some of those other unbelievable series that we've got the chance to watch.
Speaker 3: But I think for just pure.
Speaker 1: Moments intrigue, big players stepping up, drama and being honest, just unbelievably good baseball, like amazing starting pitching, amazing relief pitching, amazing hitting, some unbelievable fielding, Like the quality of baseball under the highest, highest pressure was just a joy to watch. So yeah, as I say, I know, it's all quite emotional and raw right now. So we've just seen it. But it's hard to think of a game that beats last night's game, and a series of beats that one. But I'm sure we can find time to try and place it in its proper historical context at some point, anything else before we call it a day. Hopefully we back again. I mean, we have not podded in a while. There's a bunch of other really cool stuff that happened throughout the playoffs that it would be nice to maybe talk about at some point, but I think we felt like we needed to dedicate the best part of an hour just to talking about last night and what happened and yeah, and any final words before we recall it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we can get around to a post season moratorium and a bit of a look ahead. Surely. I'm always struck by how quickly we have to transition from hey, it wasn't the World Series called to you know, off season rumors and signings and you know, a lot, a lot of action is going to happen in the next few days now with guys getting released and you know, those deals that were already agreed getting signed.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: I think eight managers have been fired this year, so there's a lot of turnover in that side of the game as well. So yeah, a lot to come. Where's Carl Tuck are going to go? We're going to get all that kind of stuff over the next few weeks quickly following, and all the awards, of course, will be what we're coming up too, so we can have the cal rally Err and Judge debate at some point, I'm sure, but I think that that wraps this World Series for now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's enough World Series chat. Let's get back to the important stuff like who should be winning Manager of the Year. Yeah, No, plenty of time for us to get into all that, and I'm sure we will. So yeah, thanks, thanks everyone for listening, Thanks Darius for jumping on and talking baseball with me, and we will be back soon to talk about some of the other stuff going on in the world of baseball. But yeah, what a night for the sport, What a night to be a fan of any team commiserations. Blue Jays fans. That is about as bad as a loss can possibly get. But maybe in time you'll look back and think about how awesome this series was and how much of a joy it was to watch that team and Dodgers fans conngratch, you did it again. You've bought the World series. I hope you're happy. What's a sad little I'm only joking, it was. It was great fun to watch you, so yeah, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Goodbye,