Speaker 1: Hey, this is Jim Suler with Texas Scratch and George Thurroughgood and the Destroyers. You're listening to Doctor Sky Experience on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to that leman. That is Doctor Sky Experience ard exclusively here on Talk Radio seventy seven WABC. We like to call it the crown Jewel of radio, the Iconics, seventy seven Talk Radio WABC beaming out of New York City, the Nation, the world and the Cosmos. And if you're a first time listener to the Doctor Sky Experience week over the realms of astronomys based aviation and weather with great musical accent, musical guest and celebrit the act in the mix. And you know, folks, today a very special guest on the line. We're talking to a gentleman who knows so much about blues and we're talking about a group called Texas Scratch. They're made up of three born and bred Texan guitarists, Jim Schuler from Dallas, Buddy Woodington from Fort Worth, Dan's Converse from Houston. This mighty threesome of big dog guitar slingers takes no prisoners when it comes to red hot guitar performances, both live and in studio. This trio of six string guitar beasts. They're accompanied ladies and gentlemen on the album by Druffer Jeff Simon and bassist Nathaniel Peterson. Both find musicians in their own right. The combined effors that resulted in a debut album consisting of obviously fiery, passionate guitar licks everywhere you turn, soaked in the blues and kicked in the ass by the blues rock. They all love to play. And with that, let's introduce our very special guest today as we talk to our very good friend here, ladies and gentlemen on the Pharaoen the phone, Jim Schuler. Thanks for joining us here on the Doctor Skuy Experience. How are you today? Life right?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. Thank you so much for having me on your show. It's a pleasure to be in the celestial mix.
Speaker 2: Hey, I love that, my friend, and you know, I'll talk to you a little bit later. We're headed, as you probably know, down to the great state of Texas. But the big Total Solier E Cliffs that's going to take place, I don't know if you're aware of this. There's so many events happening in Texas at the time. How about this. We're going to be down Jim at the Tech Music Festival in a little tiny down off Interstate ten called Junction, Texas. We can celebrate with great Texans and music fans alike about all the things that they love about the blues. You know, it's incredible with Texas great blues artists like Stevie, ray Vaughn, Billy Gibbons, Freddy King, and so much more. Talk to us how Texas Scratch got started. Because you've got a brand new album, Texas Scratch, and who doesn't love the blue? Was right by a friend. This is just going to be an exciting conversation. Well, we love it here and in Texas. There's, as you mentioned, a great tradition of blues and blues guitar in Texas.
Speaker 1: You know. Growing up here, I, you know, was surrounded by an embarrassment of musical wealth. I didn't realize how lucky I had it growing up in Dallas, with so many great musicians around playing in the clubs. Steenie y Vonn was still in clubs you know when I started out. Freddie King was it just passed, but he was always sitting in at Mother Blues in Dallas, and so this stuff was still accessible, you know to a neophyte like me at the time. It's a wonderful environment to grow up and it's it's rich in all that music. And I can't really explain to you why it's all happened here. I guess just a convergence of cultures and different peoples. But yeah, it's it's a great place to learn how to do something I was I had a really deep interest in.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely, and I always asked this of every one of our musical guests here. You know, you talk about guitar and we talk about this, you know, so many different iterations, so many wonderful guitars, and you know, the people that make the guitars. Tell us how you got started in the whole love of you know, in the music world. I mean, it's it's great because so many people aspire to be at the high pinnacle of the other musical mountain, but seriously, very few make it. But how did you get started? And just talk a little bit about the passion that you have and some of the music rates that you look up to even today, as you climb that.
Speaker 1: Well, well I'm still climbing. I don't think you ever get to the top, or very few do. But amen, I got pardon me, well ahead, no, I said, amen, that's awesome. Yeah, excuse me. Then I got Initially my first interest in music was ignited by somebody not from Texas, the Beatles when I was born in nineteen sixty. But in the mid sixties I was very aware of that, and I lived and died with my little am radio and we had a really good top forty station here in Dallas called KLIF the Mighty eleven ninety, and they played all kinds of stuff enviition of the Beatles. You could hear Jimmy Reid, you name it, Petula Clark, anything that was on the charts. It was a great education for me, and later I got into album orient and rock when that became a thing around nineteen seventy, and was always a fan of blues rock, and then began to research the songs just via the song titles and composer credits on the albums. I started to educate myself on these artists through buying records and later on reading about them in books and even later than that, I could go out and meet the few that were maybe still around got me on the path. But initially, when I was playing guitar, it was classic rock artists in the seventies that were my inspiration. I wasn't old enough to go to a club yet, but I could go to concerts and I could go see these Easy Top or the Rolling Stones, or Leonard Skinnard or you know whoever it was. It's the usual suspects.
Speaker 2: Amazing. You know. It's also interesting to talk about another band that you've been involved with what so long, If I'm correct, you were being a destroyer George Thurgood. I mean, this guy's awesome. We've met him many times here with concerts. Talk about that relationship that must be long and deep. It truly is.
Speaker 1: I was a fan of George dating back to the late seventies when they first released their initial albums on Rounder Records. I loved the you know, it was very raw, and they, strangely enough got lumped in with the punk bands at first. When they went to England, they would play at these punk clubs. I think because it was raw, it wasn't a typical polished.
Speaker 2: Aor stuff.
Speaker 1: Of the time. And that appealed to me, so I kept that in my mind and I saw them play open for the Rolling Stones in nineteen eighty one. You know, I would play some of their stuff in my bar bands. But I met George in nineteen ninety at Hughey's, a nightclub in Memphis. They were recording an album just down the street as Ardent Records, and he took a shine to me. He liked what I was doing and told his producer, Terry Manning about me. And roughly a year later, I had some money and I was going to do an album. I didn't have a label, so I did this album and Terry, fortunately for me, just started his own label, so I released it through Terry's label, which led to a management contract with George Thoroughgood's manager and opening you know, tons of tour dates for George in the mid nineties. So fast forward in nineteen ninety nine, they were adding a second guitar player and I was asked to join the band and I've been there ever since. This is my twenty fifth year.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's impressive because Jim Schuler is our guest here. He's with the band. Ladies and Gentlemen going to hear so much more about Texas Scratch. These are some red hot guitar performances and so many other things that they do to put this together. When we talk about Texas Blues and the blues. But Jim, when I was down there in one of the concerts here in Arizona, we had to meet and greet with George. What a great guy. And we actually got a copy of some really cool blue vinyl that he had on the release there just for the people who attended the concert. I'll keep that and sure shit because he signed it. So what a great guy, what a great story, what a great experience. Let's talk Texas Scratch. You got the new album Texas Scratch Quarto Valley Records. People can get you know, this whole thing downloaded just forever. Good music is available and there's plenty of places for it. Talk about the time period to produce this album, because it has an interesting story. I knew through COVID and all these other things, there was lots of delays. Not your fault at all. Tell us the iteration of how this album got together time wise, and now it's ready to be heard by everybody out there, and we're going to hear some examples in just a couple of minutes, one specifically that I'm sure you'll love, but talk about how the evolution of Texas Cratch. This album got together.
Speaker 1: There's a guy named Arnie Goodman who was involved with a label there in New York City. Also he owned a record or somewhere in the city and music photographer. I think he's living in Long Island. But this whole project was his idea. He knew us all individually and thought it would be a great collective, so he brought us all together to record and see. We recorded the album in two thousand and nine, and I believe the conversations about like putting it together it started maybe a couple of years before that, so this is it's been a pretty long incubation period on this obviously. So we completed the album and there was an issue with the label at the time, so the record was shelved and it was shopped at various times in the interim since two and nine or twenty ten, when this all became apparent and I had given up on it, I hadn't heard anything about the record in a couple of years from anybody, and I just it's not that it was on a back burner because I was so busy and I just figured, well, if it comes out, great, I'm not going to even think about it anymore, because that's when something will happen. Indeed, what happened. It was released late last year, and I learned about it on social media, so I wasn't even aware that it was None of us knew it was coming out, which is a unique marketing strategy. But having set on that, I still connect with these songs, and I love the record and I'm just thrilled to piece as it finally came out. I'm sorry it took so long.
Speaker 2: Well that's okay, no apology necessary. But there's a little backstory to this. If I'm correct. This was done and produced in show Place Studios in Dover, New Jersey, and being a native New Yorker myself in that area, you know, for years there's a radio station there that I was doing a lot of stuff for WDHA, the Rock of North Jersey. Maybe you guys even stopped into those studios, into that radio station, But isn't that incredible? So talk about show Place studios, and I mean that must to be an incredible experience there and even though this is a long time ago, what matters most is what they're going to hear in this amazing album Texas Scratch and one of the things I wanted to do right now. You won't hear it, but the audience will. I want to play this from your new album. I think this is cool. I think it's track number eight, Ain't Got the Scratch, which is actually written to what Buddy Whittington wrote this. But here we go, Ain't got the scratch, got a little flavor of what Texas scratches all about. Here we go.
Speaker 3: Front row center, top down the Crowner's cleaning drive a home today. The salesman was screaming, I wanted a mad but couldn't figure out how to.
Speaker 2: Make those ease.
Speaker 4: It turns half down the rest now, so I'll wire up that mumper. I'm putting on that patch. You know that I got the itch, but I ain't got the scratch.
Speaker 5: Hot Red lifted, let lesson live. She had it going all she had it together.
Speaker 3: With the face of Nann jumping the body of a centafold.
Speaker 4: Look like I schtule maintenance a frequent service interval.
Speaker 3: Well, I knew all along that I was way on.
Speaker 4: The mash goes baby, and I got the inch, but I ain't got the scratch.
Speaker 1: She could.
Speaker 4: Something catches your eyes and you just gotta have it.
Speaker 3: You better rethink it before your reach out and rabbit, before your reach in your pocket and pull out.
Speaker 4: That plastic do y'all have the baby bring that bad habit.
Speaker 5: I called up my cow about a house on the.
Speaker 3: Seventeen rooms are pool as big as the bill.
Speaker 5: I'm bessaging the numbers.
Speaker 1: There's no way the nudget when your dum.
Speaker 4: Bear and yond pallet and your blue ribbon budget. So call your friend that the men and have a friend of the fresh bash. David, I got the itch, but I ain't got the scratch. You better round on them not you know, there's always a cash. David, I got the ith, but I ain't got the scratch.
Speaker 2: Now, I think that just rocks, And that's just so cool because you know, I don't know what it is, but I want to just jump up. Seriously, when I hear a lot of these blues and stuff like that, I mean, just want to get up and move around. You want to? Yeah, you feel good? So I got to ask you this more from the personal side of the you know, the feeling side of this. What does this whole taxes blue thing do? I mean, it just kind of invigorates it. It talks about hard times, it talks about ways to overcomeversity. It just talks about cool stuff. But I just love it. So tell us about the whole blues thing. It's just amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't, I don't really consider I think we're more like interpreters. I mean, somebody like Freddie King is blues or Lightning Hopkins. I mean, you know, we're white boy interpreters. I mean, it's kind of like we're We're probably closer to the easy Top in terms of sound and maybe a approach tonically speaking. You know, we grew up. Our backgrounds are much like the TV show King of the Hill. It's a lot of that, you know than you know, cotton Field or something. We just have a take on it. Yeah, So I'm not worried about saying true to any you know, blues. Eddy just play what we like and that's We're heavily influenced by that and it informs everything we're doing. But I think if you try to define it Texas blues, I think it would it would have a swing to it in terms of the beat, and it would have a swagger perhaps you know, confidence. But initially I think Texas Blues maybe it's earliest days probably had was closer to jazz and than the more gut buckets Chicago's found. I think it was probably there would be more horns and stuff, maybe a little more sophisticated musically. And then there's of course there's offshoots and there's there's outliers on that people that that sound nothing like that, that are Texas Blues. But if I'm going to generalize than I am, that's what I would would say.
Speaker 2: That's fine. Yeah, so kind of like you know Zezy Top Billy and the great Billy Gibbons. Obviously we talk to him with all these great musicians, But I want to wish you guys the greatest success because there's other people to mention here. I mean your other powerhouse and guitar is Budd Whittington, as you know, and then also Jeff Simon, who once spent a lot of his life with George Thoroughgood. Also, am I correct on.
Speaker 1: That he's been playing with George since nineteen seventy three.
Speaker 2: It's fun now, that's a lifetime. You got it. It's George Thenthaniel Peterson.
Speaker 1: Sadie passed away last year. He was living in Italy.
Speaker 2: So wow, I didn't know that, so sorry to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and Dan Elliott from show Play Studios, who engineered this record has also passed away since we recorded it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well, God bless to the memory of all those other musicians, great musicians, A great fan Texas Scratch again, this album on Quarto Valley Records, so us how people can get it, which is pretty obvious wherever great music is able to be a required and now there's a whole lot of those sources. So where where do people go to get this? This is the most popular outlet to get a copy of buying.
Speaker 1: A hard copy a CD. I would direct you to Amazon dot com or Quarto Valley Records dot com. We have a Facebook page for Texas Scratch. And they wanted to find out anything about our tour dates, the performance dates, they can go to Jensuler dot com, j I M. S U H L E R dot com.
Speaker 2: Well, Jim, it's a brilliant, privileged and honor to speak with you here, and I apologize any of the communication errors in this, but obviously our producer Richard Dugan Doctor D will make sure that it sounds better than gold. And we wish you the best and hopefully you get out here to Arizona too. We want to see you guys. You know that's about as near as I right downtown here in Phoenix, Arizona or Las Vegas. Looking forward to that. But it's a pleasure to speak with you. This whole six string shootout so much more red hot our performances the album once again Texas Scratch on quarts Old Valley Records. Stay with us as we go to the heartbreak at the bottom of the hour. This concludes another exciting edition of the Doctor Sky Experience, heard proudly and strongly around America's number one powerhouse radio station, talk radios of the Southern WABC. We call it the con Zulas Radio, the iconics of of theserve and talk radio w ABC, beaming out of New York City, the nation, the world, and the Cosmos. Thank you to our social guest Jim Suller. We wish you got speed with Texas Ranch had a good day.
Speaker 1: Thank you