Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts. You are on.
Speaker 2: India Today Podcasts and you are in the sledging room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports buff and like challenging everything you see and hear, stay, if you're a soul bodyatya fan walk away.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: We're back in the sledging room after things have gotten back to normal with me, Sob and Alan. You know what, before we start this episode, I want to remember one person sor Alan. The surprise factor might be missing because we've shot this again.
Speaker 1: We are doing this again. So what is so like again? I said? It's I uish Badoni got it? Uh? Who would have.
Speaker 3: Thought that I used would be Verratkoli's last red ball captain. We've seen people like such and that was beautiful in his last Test, had a beautiful moment handed him the captaincy for the last session I think, and we won that Test against Australia. But Koley unfortunately hasn't had that, you know, privilege to go out on a high.
Speaker 1: Like a test career of that sort.
Speaker 3: Ending with that Scott bowlan episode in Sydney. I still asn't like, I don't know, as in, will you guys be interested in watching the India tour of England? Let me started asking that Rowich is gone to give a little bit context, a little bit of context to our viewers. Ruth is gone, Vera Koli is gone, Shami is gone. Oh no, Shammi isn't gone. Sami has said that he's not gone. But the transition period that we were talking about over the last one year one and a half years has kind of hastened. It's kind of gone into a it's it kind of it's here.
Speaker 1: It's not We're not gonna anticipate it anymore. It's here. Roth is gone, We're Art is gone. Let's keep Roath aside for a while.
Speaker 3: Yes, he, like you mentioned you mentioned before the start of the episode, that is a white ball, bona fide white ball. Great, but in test cricket okay, he has retired along with Art Kohli. And we have written pieces saying, oh we will miss Roth and Kohlie, but that man, we're Art Koali. Will you be in? Will you guys be interested in watching India Tour of England? If you were not working for India Today Sports if you were probably sitting in a Dhramsala cafe uh with your girlfriends or with your partners, would you have still watched India tour of England that is starting on June twenty.
Speaker 4: So let me answer it this way that I have been watching cricket for the last twenty years. So when I started watching cricket, my first he was such a ru Ganguli Luckhan. So if I am watching cricket now when they have had ten years back, I will again. I am not I will watch whatever comes even if art Cole is not there.
Speaker 1: So you're a fan of Indian cricket, I am a fan of cricket.
Speaker 4: Cricket, Yeah, I'm a fum cricket and I am a diet indiangregate supporter supporter. But if you talk about Verrat Coolie, it will definitely feel odd that whenever you play a Test match in England and you see that red cherry and you see those conditions and you realize, oh, no, Verad Coolie.
Speaker 1: He has retired from testicut.
Speaker 4: And how I mean this retirement the way it came, it completely shook me because.
Speaker 1: A day before his.
Speaker 4: Retirement came, there were reports coming out that he hasn'tformed BCI about his intention to retire from tested it, but the BI is looking to convince him for the England tour.
Speaker 1: And I was the man who did the copy in office. Then they after that, I was off.
Speaker 4: I was sleeping and I get a call from King Shuk did you see what happened?
Speaker 1: And like what happened?
Speaker 4: We'reartly retired. It's come on, don't Joe, let me sleep. He's like, no Verard Couli has retired. And then I checked the stories. I checked that to it. I still can't believe, like you, you still can't fathom the fact that the man who actually gave testicket a different purpose in this era of t turny cricket will not be playing Test it anymore. So yes, I will be watching cricket, but it will be a huge huse miss.
Speaker 1: For ending cricket.
Speaker 4: Test cricket and all the fans of Test get across the globe when we're at Coolie, is not there whatever in the place?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How long how long did it take you for the writing that copy that you sent that day?
Speaker 4: So it nearly took me around one half hour because first for the first half an hour I was still trying to understand except the fact that verat Culi has retired from testicate and it's not just testlicate now Ratkoli has it had from two different formats in the last two years, so then might be near. So he was very, very shaken by the fact. And I am not a Gradoli fan, but warrat Coli in testicate. I mean, who would not like it? If you love testicat, if you love cricket, if you love cricket, it's pure form, you will love Verratkoli everything that he did with the bat and with the field, in the field, his captain, c India's most sucessful captain and everything that he did. So he took me around on a half hours and I tried to pour in every feeling that I had for him as a fan of testicate and as a fan of Verard Coli intest catet.
Speaker 1: And what about you? Will you watch or not?
Speaker 5: So yeah, obviously I will like how sab said, I will watch just to see the fact that what this Indian team is going to be after I have written in my pieces that these two guys were like Batman and Superman, not always against each other, but you know, they were like, you know, those forces that was protecting this team and building up the superstars for the next generation. I remember very you know, in I think that twenty fourteen when he had scored twin hundreds in Montesta against Australia. I was going through a very bad face in my life at that point in time, and I was just sitting there and watching this guy go about and you know, just genuinely fight against an Australian team almost at times on his own kind of gave me, you know, made me remind It reminded me of such an in his days where he used to come out on an Australian tour and it was always such and versus the rest of the OSSI pace attack. I wrote it in my copy as well that sometimes it felt like that and that was the kind of thrill that Rakoli brought into Test Creak and his Captain c. I again, before we started the show, I said that I watched that Mamasiraj over to Oli Robinson, you had eight nine people going in England and bullying England. That was proper bullying. It was nothing like roughing them up. He was properly bully a guy who tried to bully one of his plays. So that kind of intensity, that kind of you know, that flavor of Test cricket was changed under with So that is something I will genuinely miss unless, like you get a captain who's of the same you know, Wiger and the same intent, which is going to be a big task.
Speaker 3: Will you watch a ship in like I asked that question because you know had as in like it's it's too There have been so many flag bearers of Test cricket in this period. Also in this era of art, there was Rahani, there was who played a brand of cricket that made us all fall in love with Test cricket, and.
Speaker 1: Even Ben Stokes, Steve Smith, Joe Root.
Speaker 3: But the impact that we Art had right with so many Instagram followers, someone saying that, okay, I value the whites more to this generation. Had he not been there, had when we're art only not been there in Test cricket, had had that firebrand cricket not been there, what would have what would have happened to Test cricket in their off t twenties, maybe four day tests would have been a reality of why now? Because I remember, We're not himself spoke about not having not he's not a fan of four day tests, and time and again for someone to say that this is the ultimate format, this is the ultimate format because he had so much impact on not just you know, the general public, but the cricketers who you know, who grew up after his generation, like someone like the Ies Bodoni whom we started with.
Speaker 1: So many people Ryan parad.
Speaker 3: All of them now if you ask them, okay, I feel is okay, Ipeel gives me money, but I want to flavor. I want to flavor of that whites you know, and that beautiful headline from Indian Express Whites Loose Color.
Speaker 1: That was some fine, fine headline.
Speaker 3: And even Sid Munga for the ESPN apart from all the other pieces that we have read and we have produced, I thought they kind of got the emotions, you know when you we all as we need to read more, we need to listen to him more. I just hope, I just hope, as in like this is, this is not going to happen, But I just hope that he makes this, you know, makes his youth turn. He does a Shia freely for one time and comes back and place at least one series in England. So there was a couple of free series also West Indies Bangladesh coming as I'm not saying, I'm not disrespecting, but relatively easier series at home. You could have easily scored those ten thousand times. But it's not about it's not about runs and hundreds. When you talk about Art COOLi right, twenty years down the line, when you so many people might somebody might cross ten thousand, Schumann might do it. Yes, yes, we might do it, provided they played Test cricket for that long and provided Test cricket is a sustainable format for that long.
Speaker 1: But twenty years down the.
Speaker 3: Line, when you want to remember Veratkoli, I wouldn't personally remember any of his hundreds, any of his double hundreds. Probably that you know that bouncer, that Mitchell Johnson Bold right after that tragic incident of Phil Hughes. All of us thought Australia would not you the bouncer, but they, being Australia, they tested were Art. And then the way he gave it back in that series and that Adelaide, you know that reported conversation with MS without trying.
Speaker 1: How would we know?
Speaker 3: So that three sixty three sixty odd changing on the last day, we're art had given.
Speaker 1: A fury dressing room talk. It seems that we will go for it.
Speaker 3: And then MS asked him in the team bus on the final as in, like before the final day or something, we're art.
Speaker 1: You will be able to do that.
Speaker 3: You will be able to be one of the battles who can score one hundred or two one fifty. But do you think the entire team will be able to tell together and do it. He reportedly said that MS, without doing, without doing, without trying it, how would we know if we will be able to do it or not? So that set the tone like many people say that. Okay, it started from twenty sixteen when he started dominating the home but the twenty fourteen series was unforgettable for me for many reasons.
Speaker 1: MS was facing out.
Speaker 3: MS gave up captaincy and that Adelaide test told us that we are going to see a different brand of cricket after what we had seen in the last few in the previous few years where we get wagged four nil four nil, will we will have the opposition fifty for six and then Brendon mccllum will score a double. Those things were you know, very difficult to watch. Had we continued in that fashion, I don't think many people would have been fans of Indian Test teem. At least Ashes would have been a big, big tournament. But that India, Austria, India, England, that fight even in India South Africa very underrated rivalry, especially when it happens in South Africa and the twenty eighteen tour where India unleashed Boomra. A lot of credit at this time should go to rubbish as three and his group of coaching set up also for believing in someone like there Aret, you know, not asking him to tone down. I still remember a lot of headlines that that say India one. But we're artists. Some needs to be reviewed and all that. In test cricket especially that's too.
Speaker 1: I just hope that there is one more chapter of Test cricket left in him.
Speaker 3: I don't know how that is possible, but like many people are saying, even christ we can't well speaking to us said I would have made him the captain for the next one one and a half years because, like you said, like both of you pointed out, this young setup needs a mentor figure. Yes, Boomera is a very good mentor Jadeja has been an experienced person. Shammi is there, Siraj is there, but that that energy that he brings. You know that ESPN article wrote one line, which we are we've all, we've all, we've all understood and we've all seen before the before the catch is taken in the slips, we're art is already near the batter, celebrating the intimidating and giving it back. And it was fitting as in like in a way it was fitting because on the last day, on the last Test match, also he needed a youngster.
Speaker 1: That's how he has to go. Yeah h not not just the youngster.
Speaker 5: I think he riled up the whole Australian crowd by emptying his pockets. So, like you said, that is something that I thought, like, okay, who are the front round right now? We have got the names like Schubmann, Gil and Pan We all know how this is a very animated character. Schubann Gil has been Yes, he's shown those flashes of you know, aggression, but like probably it's down to the fact that a lot of people have said, hey, you are going to be the next Virat Kouri, so you need to start showing that off. You need to be a little more you know, expressive on the field. You have to show that you have to command that authority. And he's done well, He's done well in the IP life. Like his captaincy last year was not that great. But I still feel a guy like him could have, you know, just bounced out ideas from a.
Speaker 1: And they go to a very close the slip And also yeah.
Speaker 5: And maybe like you, maybe like you said, if it's a very tough chase, he could probably look to a viral and as should we go for it and would have said, yeah, definitely, you have the skills.
Speaker 1: I have the skill. Yes, we have the skill.
Speaker 5: Punk can change the game on its own. So why are you fearing let's go for it? You need someone to at those points in time. MS was there for Khali most of the time in odies when he was the captain, always there as the don review system. As you could say, maybe a Kali system would have been there in place to help with the transition system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sure, and like to.
Speaker 5: Be very honest, I think I have seen a lot of people say it also that we're at least had two more years of trust cricket in them. I personally believe that he could have completed this cycle of WTC and then he could have just gone off.
Speaker 1: That is what I see.
Speaker 3: But sort of what do you think changed in like three months asn't like Deli's coach, while talking to the broadcasters, said that Verat was talking about, you know, going to England and even playing for playing with India for practice and he played that Runi match, which were obviously talking about what would have changed in those three months? Like we have been hearing that there were mixed signals from the selectors and the team management. He was once even told in Australia after the first Test or second Test that be be ready you might be asked to, you know, lead the team on a temporary basis. But then again he was told after that series loss after that that probably you know, you will also be judged like any other person, like how was supposed to be reported that? But what would have changed doesn't like someone who epitomized test cricket, who made Test cri get his priority.
Speaker 1: Why did he give up?
Speaker 4: You know, the things which you mentioned and the amount of things we have read in the last one week or so, it certainly does not seem that it was just Veratko's idea that he wanted to go out of Test because I believe the passion which Veradculi had for testing it if you read his last not the way he says it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not easy, but I feel it's the right.
Speaker 3: Time, unlike that one line statement by him not playing Test creator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if you look at that, it because I always and I had told you also if I remember that for Verad COOLi, I thought that if we had to go out restrict with the last format where he boes out, I thought so, yeah, because verat COOLi and Test it to go hand in hand. You look at what Michael Vaughan has said that in the last thirty years and or so, nobody has done more for testickeret than Verrad Koli. And it is not Verrad Couli's loss that is not playing Testicate. It is going to be testlated'lass that Radcoli will not be donning the rights for India and playing that rechig again. So it just does not make sense to me that it was rad Couli you wanted to move out, and all those media reports were which first came out that wanted to convince. I think it's the other way around. I think it was a message from the management, maybe the coach, maybe the selector, maybe the VCI secretary or VSA president that look, last cycle, we feel miserably. We lost a home series against New Zealand, we're whitewash, we lost to Australia.
Speaker 1: We gave you chances.
Speaker 4: Hurons are not coming at all and it is pretty evident that we need to look forward. And maybe because the new deputy cycle is on, they opted for a completely new team where they could from the start itself, they could go and say, okay, we might not have the experience with Gerard or hit, but we will build a team like when the only retired, they built a young team. And for me, it's going to be you know, like Allan said about the captaincy options, you know, I firmly believe who becomes the captain is not going to matter because the first time in the Integraged history in the last twenty five years, I think it's going to the coach who's going to be the main man. It's going to be God the side who becomes the captain. He's going to walk on the path which he was him so I think and I had a very very important role in verad Cool announcing his retirement, because it would not have looked nice that they would have dropped rat Koli from a series midway. Imagine they named art Coli in the squad for ing series. He goes there, failed to perform in the first Twitchess, then he gets dropped. That would have been embarrassing for everyone and that would have quoted more controversy than this retirement statement has.
Speaker 1: So maybe it was this team management and.
Speaker 4: We're at being we're at he said, Okay, if you want me out, I will not say anything.
Speaker 1: I'll be out and he's out.
Speaker 3: What about the form like keeping motion ins inside all of us have spoken about, Yes, we're are Is that to tests he has made a significant contribution, like you said, in the last thirty years, In the last thirty years, If Michael one is saying that, it means that such an ponting Lara Alara included because of the cultural impact that probably he made for that format, for that format, especially in his era of T twenty dominance. But what about the form? Was it irreversible? Like could he have gone to England and scored runs on a see two three months ago, we were only calling for their heads. Right we're at and they're not scoring runs. How could it have changed in England had he gone there.
Speaker 5: I think one of the things about Colin if you look at his career, has been the fact that he is someone who always evolves with time. If you look at that interview where he was saying that, you know how he changed his fitness, How he changed his fitness. He was a bit of a chubby guy when he came and he saw himself on the mirror and he was like, no, this is not how a cricketer should look like. So he was always changing. He was always a guy who found a solution to problems. Yes, he had a problem. He had a weakness, and I think whenever we have a weakness, we try to either mask it or try to improve on it. We don't let it be a weakness for all the time. Yes, a couple of times you might fall trapped to that weakness, as like more than a couple of times he did in Australia, But I don't think that would have been a problem in England. He would have been coming in with a fresher mind. He had just come out of an IPL season after winning the PL maybe you never know. At the end of the day, you never know, he would have come out feeling a better person, having had got some runs in his kitty. He would have gone to the England conditions with the India a side played a few matchs played, got some game time, maybe would have gotten out. Outside of we would have still written stories, we would have still said the same things. But then once the series starts, he might have found the groove. He would have found it and he would have started scoring runs.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 5: You never know at the end of the day, because I think probably, like how Saab said, the management decided that enough of chances, it's time that we start a new cycle. Now, let these guys fail, that is upon them. But let's just stop this and let's just have all the former players who were there, the former from the old guard. Let the old guard move away, let the new ones come in. And I think that is it, because at the end we'll never know what would have happened.
Speaker 3: So what about you could he have wasn't like see personally speaking? Yeah, I think it was. COLI can correct. We are we are no one to tell Coley can't correctly, can't correct that thing. But the evidence in the last three four years shows us that probably he was trying a bit too much. Probably all that criticism, all that outside noise he talks about, He talks that. He says that I don't care about outside noise, but everyone, Yeah, let's be frank, like everyone cares about what is being said about them.
Speaker 1: At least here is it.
Speaker 3: And that pressure of you know, doing this, doing that, winning the T twenty World Cup, winning the champions Trophy, I think it released something out of him and that is what probably I think.
Speaker 1: And he was in Australia. It was not like he worked with.
Speaker 3: Was he as an EXXANDJA banker before he went to Australia. He tried a hell lot.
Speaker 1: Of things but nothing worked And it was not like Okay.
Speaker 3: Coley didn't know that Bowland will bowl that they Yeah, I think it was something more mental than you know, technical, And at thirty SIGs, at this stage where probably his lookoking at maybe living a life, we're living a more settled, more peaceful life. I don't think it would have been you know, wise to prolong the career. Maybe the timing was right, like in that again I'm quoting that piece. Like he said, you know test cricket. Weir Art wouldn't come in to test cricket if he was not sure that he would be able to give his one hundred percent. Maybe he knew that I will not be my best version if I go to England.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's the reason. You know, I can agree with you, I can disagree with you. But yes, Art was not scoring runs. Okay, and apart from that, the biggest factor being that Verartculi was India's bestess.
Speaker 1: Better when was India's bestess? Battle last? When? When do you remember twenty nineteen, twenty twenteen.
Speaker 4: Okay, since that pandemic happened, and after the pandemic, I think that BCI and Articully brawl happened where he was still by the ODA captain c with the press release where he was not in mention the captain. Then it took up on his ego and he relinquished the test. And see since then, I think we're art Koli had thought and it was lurking there that all that intiencity that he has been carrying for the team since twenty twelve, twenty fourteen. Wherever you see in the last ten years, he gave everything that he could, every ounce of it, and now it was taking a toll on him. And he came out in public and said how Anushka, his wife, helped him cope with this mental outside pressure. And now you know, I am I can agree with you that, yeah, he might not score runcie when if he goes to England. But still I would have loved to see him play the Test matches because we're art Koli. As you said, I will not remember his hundreds, but I will remember his attitude on the field, the way he used to uplift the mood of the bowlers, his feeling changes, the way he used to rile up the crowds. The opposition used to fear. Okay, we're Art coolly standing in the slips. You just have to be very careful when you're playing as an Indian team with Verart Coli inside it. Australian's will still market him as the greatest overseas player to play the Australian.
Speaker 1: Way, but stats also tell you that isn't like seveny there.
Speaker 4: And I'm telling you I think now we're at will and is the next tour of India is in Australia.
Speaker 1: When he goes there, you see how she is market it.
Speaker 4: When India went to Australia, you see every front page of Australian newspaper had hind the Punjabi and English front headlines which we're art Cooley as a cover pick.
Speaker 1: That is Rali for you.
Speaker 4: It's not just the runs he made, the impact he had with the field, any statements he was.
Speaker 1: It was also attaching to see the Latin colonel, you know, the the dr chief. Yeah, exactly were on that day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Indian mentioned him and he said that we're art like many and Indians, we'rea Kuli is my favorite cricketer.
Speaker 1: And used the beautiful analgy also. Yes, it was. It is fun.
Speaker 3: But you know, at this stage, you know, since Ruth is not going to be there, let's accept we're at is also not going to be there totally.
Speaker 1: Whom should be.
Speaker 3: You know, the leader of the next gain Like, will you be okay appointing a stop gap arrangement now or are you going to look at are you going to back someone say that okay, even if you fail in a couple of series, you take the leader.
Speaker 1: And you go forward.
Speaker 5: I think, hands down, I feel it's going to be supern Gil and the signs were very clear the moment that Hardig Pandia was kind of, you know, thrown out of that leaderships in limited overs format and suddenly out of the blue you saw Schumann Gill being made vice captain. I think he got the blessings from the seniors. Also, I feel a guy like Rood Sharma and probably a guy like Viratkoli would have endorsed.
Speaker 3: But I think made it very clear during that last stour of Australia that let these guys earn captain c what have they done? As in like, let these guys earn captains And he only mentioned Bumra. He did not even say that, okay, Bomra has been has done really and all that. But he was very dismissive of the youngsters coming into that role as in, at least it looked like it, because he said, let they let these guys earn it. We we are at me and even Bumra have worked so hard to get to this person, as in like, let's not discount bro. He might not have had a terrific test career, but he was India's best partsman from that phase twenty nineteen three, and he as in like for all that he achieved in white ball cricket, maybe probably.
Speaker 1: Going form a visas at president told him.
Speaker 3: The president told him that, okay, take it in tests also, and he did a decent job except for that home series and the Bordagazka Trophy.
Speaker 5: So but but like I said, those things might not matter to this current management. The current management is seeing that, okay, the project is going to be Shupermann Gil. He seems to be like a guy who can you know, come into his own and take Indian cricket forward. And I think that is where the decision comes. At the end of the day. They see that, Okay, this guy is able to do it. I like Schupmann in the sense that last season in the IPL he flopped, his team also flopped. But this season they have been simply sensational. He has also probably maybe the amar of bad influence, I guess, like started scoring runs. He has been leading from the front. His team is sitting at the top of the table, just followed by maybe RCV. So he is doing everything right. He's making those decisions.
Speaker 1: Right except for scoring runs in Test cricket maybe overseas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this is like, Okay, I remember that.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't agree with that said like scoring runs, we're not has been scoring runs every season? Yeah, I understand, but he batter of his caliber couldn't go and score runs there. I'm not saying, Okay, Schumann Gill doesn't deserve captaincy, but why do you want to give it to him when he still has You were, you know, cemented a place in your argument about a youngster earning the road.
Speaker 5: If you all remember the time when Graham Smith became South African captain. South Africa were going through a very bad face. They had just lost a home World Cup. They did not even qualify from the groups. You had a guy like Sean Pollock being thrown out of captain c and a relatively unknown Grahame Smith, twenty two years old, was given the captaincy. And the first ODA mass that gram Smith had, if I remember correctly, it was against India, and India slammed them that game, but still they stuck with him and then he went to England. I remember that series that he had in England where he scored I think two seventy five hot runs.
Speaker 1: He stepped up so at the end of the day sometimes it's like this.
Speaker 5: You give a person captaincy, Okay, you lead the thing, you perish, you perish, otherwise you succeed. That was done probably with most of the captains of our generation, and the same thing is happening with Schupman Gill. Whether he likes it or not, whether we like it or not, the fact of the matter remains that this team managed maybe probably gum Beer. See is the fact that Okay, this guy I can, I know is going to be here for another ten years. He's going to be the hair apparent. He's already being called the Prince of Indian cricket right see a marketing all that, you will understand that.
Speaker 3: But my point is my point is when you have not scored a fifty plus score overseas in Sena Countries and West Indies since that GABA Test of twenty twenty twenty twenty one GABA Test of twenty twenty one, why would you see do you want supermann Gil the batter to be there or do you want to a leader who's still struggling to you know, score runs overseas. I at this point wouldn't give Sumani. He's like you said, he's twenty four to twenty five. Let him earn it at twenty seven two years score runs were didn't earn it when he was, you know, scoring fifty forty odds. He was already an established MS again, he was scoring runs before he got Test captaincy. And it's not like that. You don't have alternatives. This narrative of Schumann Gill is the only guy there is little baffling for me the prince, and all that is okay, white ball, you've done well, you are it there, ipl you've done there, you were it there.
Speaker 1: But Test cricket is not something like.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll try, you know, I will give a dolly to this guy when you haven't. You see if if he if Schumann doesn't score in the first two Tests in England, his place in eleven is not certain.
Speaker 1: Do you think we don't have a better number three?
Speaker 3: Then why then apply the same logic has scored so many runs to give him number three and tell him I see ten years in you.
Speaker 1: How can you see ten years in Schumann when he has not scored run but that and what's wrong? Has done? What not? Take?
Speaker 5: The whole whole thing has been the fact that he is not being able to guarantee five tests. That is what the whole argument is coming down.
Speaker 3: See, if you want Boomra to guarantee five tests, make him work like Pat Cummins. Give him the freedom to opt out of T twenty leagues, to opt out of ODI series.
Speaker 1: Give him that freedom.
Speaker 3: If you want to prioritize test cricket, or get someone like Risha Borca as the vice captain and ask them to lead whenever they are there. I see no problem in that. But Boomra, the way he led in Australia, this is my opinion. I'm not saying that you were right right if but the way he led in Australia, I saw shades of that and he's as aggressive as that.
Speaker 1: He's someone like Rahani. He doesn't, you know, go and sleds the oppertion.
Speaker 3: But every move he does, every every plan that he plots are inch perfect.
Speaker 5: But actually you need to understand one thing at the end of the day. Even if you ask me, do you think that schumann Gill is good as a player?
Speaker 1: No? Not yet, No, not not at all.
Speaker 5: But he's still the vice captain right as an odio player, yes, phenomenon as a test player, like you said, he's still testing his waters, he's still finding his feet.
Speaker 1: I always thirty five tests.
Speaker 3: After thirty five, it's still people are that lucky. But but and Suman'll after thirty five that we are still sitting here and saying, oh, he'll play for another ten years.
Speaker 1: But that is going.
Speaker 5: But that is the whole point I have like if I if I was a selector, yes, I would have convinced Boomera that listen, you don't need to play all these leagues or all these odio serieses. We can choose whatever you want to play. Please remain fit. We will take care of you, We will do whatever is needed. But we need you as a captain. Now that he said, oh I cannot be there for five tests, whoever is in the management is like, okay, let him be the normal bowler that it is. We are going to select somebody else. And probably it might have been supmann Gill who might have been there or might have just walked into the room at that point in time where they said, oh, let him be the captain. I have no other, no other explanation towards it. But the fact is Indian Cricket is now investing in submann Gill whether we like it or not, they are going to go hell for leather with this guy up front. He fails, he fails, whatever happens, he is going to have that protection. It's almost like correct me if I'm wrong. I think in Mahaba, like you give Arjun who had that special bow to kill so and so person, So this that same thing has been given to Schumann that Okay, you are given Captain c.
Speaker 1: You will be protected.
Speaker 5: Like how how Krishna stepped in to be the chariot driver for arj same way like I'm going to be leading, but you will be by argent.
Speaker 1: This is all, this is all. Care is this bias? I don't know. Coachman, player I I have I have been sad.
Speaker 5: I have been cribbing over the fact that we lost Shupman for years right now. But the fact is he has grown as a player. I do feel that once this responsibility does come on to him, he will be a better man. That is what it's all. It's all based on trust. It's all based on trust.
Speaker 3: Believe So why will an out of form player hasn't like out of one says I'm going out of him for like two years? Give me captain c After that, I will score runs. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 1: Sort. You've been keeping quiet, watching as you know sledge for so long. What is your wordy on this? See Schupmann or someone else?
Speaker 4: See by all my heart, I wanted boom to let site. But if Boomra does not want to lead, if they if the selectors and the management feels that Boomra will not be fit enough to every test match, then my ophuman Wilship. Okay, he might have failed in Australia, but listen to me. He has been your best test battle wherever you have gone. Okay, he came from any one year he was out due to that unfortunate accident.
Speaker 1: He comes back and hits a hundred.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then you know, I will again say that he failed enough a series because there was no role clarity. It was management failure. It was not this Japan's failure and more than Rejapan's failure. You know is a player is a travesiate kind of player where you need him to shield for the first forty to fifty overs. Your top water has to be there even if they're not. Like Punt survived because Para used to score runs. Fudara used to whether that first and second session. Now this top watter failed Schumann Gill, I don't know if he's going to bed at number three because I don't think you know you're talking about captaincy. I don't see human Gill as a long term number three batting option for India. Yeah, why not give us an option? Bring in a Karuna, give you a chance. Why not try Obviously you're given twenty five tests to Schuman Gill.
Speaker 1: Give another place Sance for me.
Speaker 4: You know, if if you ask me, I believe Schumann and jas Was should open and Keil should bat at number four at number three. Should give someone like Karun, someone like say, someone like uh Sales any of these three players, because Kale has the technical ability to buy at number four. Your technically the most able player has to add number four you have seen in history.
Speaker 3: Also Kale gets a secured spot, then that the funder of fun is not enough. Okay, one match he'll opened one match, one match for captaincy.
Speaker 4: Also, like Kale was given captaincy then he was really out of the plants and now does not trust him as a captain. Fine Gambir wants him to play as a free fall battle.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: My single question to got and the management is how and like you asked, how and why are you giving Schumann Gill that captain stool. If he's getting that, it's just reports, you know, if it's getting it because we have seen like all mentioned, I agree with you, we are the green Gramms point. But you know, South African cricket and Indian cricket, these are two way different things. The pressure which you carry in India it's completely different. South Africa has not won any ices tournament as if I'm not wrong. India, on the other hand, you did not win an ice tournament for ten years and there was so much Radcli was asked to move on, became the captain, the coach was changed, there were questions from out the coaching evilties.
Speaker 1: So there's two different things.
Speaker 4: And I personally believe if we're making a captain Test captain, it should either bra if not boomra I should be punted. He's the more deserving eye. He has given you everything. The only problem is does he hold the blessings of coach Gonna be?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, that is that is only that is That is where it all comes down to.
Speaker 5: Like I agree to every single logical points that you're making for me, Boomrah should be the captain.
Speaker 1: End of discussion.
Speaker 5: No, the moment that you heard that road Sherma is retiring, everybody said, oh Boomra has to be the next captain. There is no need for a discussion for it. But it all comes down to the man who, like how Sareb said, for the first time in Indian cricket, you're going to have an Indian coach leading the team and the captain does not matter in that point. Absolutely, in that point when it comes to that, if that's gonna be.
Speaker 3: The case, you're gonna give how much weto power to Gambi, right. I don't agree with that. See, you're playing Test cricket exactly.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 5: I've always been of the belief that a team management comprises of the coaches and the captain coming together. I felt that feeling when road Sherman raul Ra was there, Rubbish was there. You always had that feeling that Okay, these two guys along with the rest of the management makes the calls.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I don't want that power to always be with Gol and Kampire. You need to have other people around you. You need to have a strong captain. Who is there, who can you know, like go I'm not saying go against Gambierre, but just say that, hey, what why why don't we try this a different method? Who can hold a healthy conversation with it? But I don't see that with schubun Gil and Gambier happening, And probably that is the main reason why Gil is being given the.
Speaker 3: Cold for someone you know as in like at this stage, for someone who has lost a historic Test series at home to New Zealand and then hammered in Australia for the first time in ten years, should be the last person would be allowed to make decisions, is what I think for Test cricket, for test credit.
Speaker 1: For one days.
Speaker 3: Yes he has had plans and all that, but if but there's another way of looking at it. If Gambierre had said, okay, I want to restart, then I'll prove myself with this young team, give me a couple of series. You're not going to expect results in England, No nobody there will so even a number four spot, even the opening spot. He will take a couple of series to figure out who is there, Who's what. If Schumann has made the captain and he says I want a bed at four. Then if he gets that and number three we went out to go go for a couple of series. If Gambire has said that, maybe give me time. I want a young setup, probably now he will have no one to blame.
Speaker 1: I can't blame. Yeah, the blame will seriously come to you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, if these youngsters can step up, let's be optimistic.
Speaker 1: Is the youngsters can step up?
Speaker 3: So what did we're not score in that Australia Series one nineteen runs in five tests with thirty six runs in three tests, three tests, three tests right, five innings, So even if any two of them score more than that in England, it would be a welcome change. Let's be honest. So there are two ways of looking at it. Can be right now, can't blame anyone. But at the same time, if he has taken up that responsibility, okay, let me show that even if we lose, we'll fight and lose, even if we will challenge England England see England or not Australia. Let's put that way. At the end of the day, they are beatable. It's not like they are unbeatable. They have had built a four tress there. West Indies comes there, smashes them. Sri Lanka goes there, smash you. India nearly won that series had twenty two rescheduled. Yeah, the rescheduled series. Had Indian players not run for IPL we could have won that Test in Manchester. What I thought, So, it's it's it's gonna be a very interesting face. It's gonna be very interesting face. There are multiple ways to look at things. Our opinion hardly matters. The man sitting there, Achita Gurkher, the bass are big wigs and if I see chairman wants to, you know, give his thoughts and also, like you said, the head coach and his troop.
Speaker 1: I hope it's a you know, vise decision at the end of the day because.
Speaker 3: The legacy that we have had in test cricket the last cycle was did not reflect it and we are good enough. It's not like that India doesn't have talent. It's not like if you're at and gone India can't you know, play test cricket, win test matches. It's there is an abundance of talent. There is a good work done by so many coaches across the country.
Speaker 1: Who do are not? You know? Who are not Gotham Gonna Beer?
Speaker 3: Who are or are not you know as popular as Gotham Gonna beer as popular as under component. But there are coaches who are you know giving us the surio and gis and all of them. So I think, yeah, whatever it is, it should be India are capable of it. But it's a big decision that needs to be made in the next few weeks is what we think?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Quick prediction as in like what will happen to this? Who will who will be the captain? I'm not asking who do you want to be that? Who do you want to see as the captain? Who will be the captain? And what is your series?
Speaker 1: Corene? Very early prediction, but let's do it before.
Speaker 4: So, if I trust all the media reports and what Alice is saying, it has to be Schuman Gill.
Speaker 3: But there were a couple of conflicting reports that last night has like on Thursday night Wednesday night saying that there might be some change and also visited the c Temple maybe to clear clear smiles.
Speaker 1: And how are you playing? Five times?
Speaker 4: I believe it will be to draw over optimate optimistic. I am but I will back my youngsters because Indian youngsters are pretty much gavele of beating this English side at their own backyard. And one actually say.
Speaker 5: India too well a little bit more adventurous because I feel if you bring out take out guys.
Speaker 1: Like performing seniors, you can always sighs.
Speaker 5: So you bring in size, so guys who have had experience playing in England. You have those kale rowels who can you know, just frustrate basseball just like I feel size. So that is a kind of player who can do that and maybe he might be your new number three or an opener.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: Those guys will just wear around this attack. They can do it, they can get those runs. And if that is the case, England are going to fold. That is what we have seen with this approach that they have. They are not they are no superpower, let's be very honest. So I genuinely am going a little optimistic here, a little adventurous as well.
Speaker 1: Two to one India and who captain You've made it clear.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I personally feel it's going to be because the signs are already there and I just feel he's going to be that guy unfortunately who opened the door first and came inside. So he was malade the class monitor and the rest is history for me.
Speaker 1: Probably have you guys called him asked him whether he has not retired. He has not retired. I'm not saying he's tried next season for me.
Speaker 3: See you went out of the way to ask Broth and we're at whether they will play whether they will not play. That saga continued for six months for me at number three, Rhan at number four, Rhani captain.
Speaker 1: For another wild prediction India from India winning three two.
Speaker 3: I see that might be a joke, but India winning this series is something that is not beyond imagination. So let's be optimistic and it's gonna be fun the next few days. I PL is resuming on Saturday, May seventeen. The last two weeks will be fun there as well. Let's see how it pans out, how it all pans out. And I think this is the right time to, you know, ask our listeners and us. They are taught on who should be India's next Test captain and what they think will be the squat composition for the tour of England. You can send in your thoughts on eight five double eight nine double six, double nine six.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to us on.
Speaker 3: Spotify and Apple Podcast, please rate us and life we always say. If you're watching us on YouTube, please leave your comment. We'll be more than happy to learn your feedback. Thank you, have a great weekend.