Speaker 1: In the last episode, we began our deep dive into the story of Sharon Marshall. Today we continue that story with part two, so be sure to check out part one before carrying on with us today. But if you're ready, then let's continue the story.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast. Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcasts and material intended for a mature audience. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Your Weight is finally over.
Speaker 1: It's part two, Part two. I know a lot of people try and they try and listen to both episodes in the same day at eight for it. Yeap, So if you're doing that, you're going for the binge. Hey, here we are. Even if you've been waiting for days to listen to part two, well, same thing. Here we are. I hope the weight was worth it. This is it's quite the tail. There is a lot of details, so it definitely needed two parts. I honestly I probably could have even done a third part if I really wanted to. Really probably, there is that much to this case.
Speaker 2: It's a really big one, it is.
Speaker 1: That's what she said.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, gracious, sorry, Okay, well, honestly, though, if you did listen already to part one, you may need a little bit of a recap. So do you got that for us?
Speaker 1: I do have a recap. Are you ready for it right out of the gate?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think we've been making people wait long enough. I'm on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 1: You don't want to talk about the weather today. Look at that frost out there. It's a frosty sunny morning. I could go on for at least fifteen minutes about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I will just say the sun is nice. We've been lacking some serious son here lately, so I am into the sun.
Speaker 1: That's true. But I also think people are lacking a part two. So I think you're right. We should just get right into the recap.
Speaker 2: And not be little menaces.
Speaker 1: Not be little menaces? Yeah, all right, so let's recap this. In the last episode, we left off with Sharon Marshall dead and almost no one understanding who she really was. We went through the story of a man named Franklin Delano Floyd aka Floyd. We were going all the way back to his childhood and he had a life that was marked quite early on by violence, abandonment and abuse, and we followed how that chaos turned into a long pattern of sexual violence, kidnapping, and escalating crime through his adult life. Now, despite his convictions for abducting and sexually assaulting a child, also with armed robbery and repeated escape attempts from prison, Floyd was released again and again until nineteen seventy three, he skipped bail and disappeared completely, becoming a fugitive free to start over under a new and false name. Now that reinvention led him to meet a woman by the name of Sandra Brandenburg, a struggling single mother of four who believed she had finally found someone who could help her hold her family together. She married him with the high hopes, but instead, during a short jail sentence in nineteen seventy five, Floyd vanished with her children in tow. Now. Two of them were later recovered and reunited with their mother as they were quietly placed in adoption, but another one was placed in a private adoption situation and was never seen. The oldest was Suzanne Maurice s Vegis, and she was taken by Floyd and was never officially searched for because she was well taken legally by her stepfather because the two had married. Now from that point on, Suzanne was raised in plain sight under false identities to make sure that he could keep her hidden. She was taught that her mother was dead and that the man controlling her life was in fact her father. Over the years, those lies hardened into reality. Suzanne became Sharon Marshall, a bright, well liked student who looked on paper like a success story, even as she lived under constant fear, physical and sexual abuse, and control. As she got older, Floyd's grip didn't exactly loosen, it instead tightened. Friends noticed strict rules, odd behavior, and moments that felt wrong, but never quite crossed into something they could prove. When Sharon finally earned a full scholarship to Georgia Tech, it looked like her way out, but that chance disappeared when she became pregnant. The baby, however, was placed up for adoption, and college was quickly taken off the table, while Sharon stayed exactly where Floyd wanted her. By the late nineteen eighties, Sharon was supporting Floyd and her new son, Michael by working as an exotic dancer in Florida. Floyd inserted himself into every part of her life, including the dancing, controlling her money and her movements, and even her body and appearance in public. When another dancer named Cheryl Anne Comesso challenged that control, the situation turned violent, and Cheryl vanished without a trace. Not long after. Then came the final chilling step. Floyd legally married the woman he had raised as his own daughter, using paperwork and aliases to erase decades of abuse in the eyes of the system. Sharon would have another child, and it too was placed up for adoption, and eventually they moved to Oklahoma, where for the first time she began planning to leave. But she did have another child that she got to keep, which was the one blessing in her life now. Even though she planned to leave, she never got the chance. In April of nineteen ninety, Sharon Marshall was found gravely injured on the side of the highway. After five day in intensive care, she died. Her death was ruled a hit and run, but there was some suspicion Her husband controlled access to the hospital room and things seemed to be a little off during his stay. I mean, she seemed to be on the men but then suddenly death came out of nowhere. No one knew her real name, no one knew her past, and the man responsible for shaping her entire life seemed to be at the center of it all. And that is where we left off.
Speaker 2: That alone. That seems like that should have been more than one episode. I know, right, because often when we do part two is your little recap at the beginning is half that length. So it's like, huh, yeah, this will be exact.
Speaker 1: This is an extensive case, to say the least, and each part on its own, you probably could break it down and do another like two parts per the each part we have, so you probably could expand and go for five six. I mean, depending how deep you go, right, there are books and documentaries this though I didn't read any books in my research. I did watch documentaries. I did read a lot of articles in doing some deep dives. There's a lot of info out there, a lot of info out there. Yeah, so depending on how deep you want to go, and I chose doing two parts, and I think I've done it justice in these two parts.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, so far you have so.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I guess let's put you to the test for part two.
Speaker 1: Put me to the test for part two. Okay, well, I'm ready for the test. Let's do it. After Sharon's death in April of nineteen ninety, Franklin Floyd did what he had always done when situations tightened around him. He leaned onto the paperwork at the hospital. He presented himself as Clarence Hughes, a grieving husband, and Sharon was now at the time legally Tanya don Hughes on paper, which of course was another false identity. It seemed like everything lined up. It was a husband and a wife, But when Floyd attempted to life insurance proceeds, the story began to fracture. Social Security numbers, for example, well they didn't match the names. Employment records also raised red flags. It seemed that the identity of Floyd what he was using it started to draw scrutiny, not because investigators suspected something like murder yet, but because the documentation simply didn't behave the way legitimate records should. Now, this obviously wasn't the first time Floyd had relied on aliases, but it was the first time the system actually pushed back hard enough to matter. So the questions were mounting, and Floyd decided to leave Oklahoma and placed Sharon's son, Michael, into state care. At first, this appeared to be a practical decision. Michael was just a toddler after all, and Floyd was facing the mounting legal pressure. But what authorities soon learned was that Michael arrived in foster care deeply traumatized. See Michael was not yet even two years old. He was nonverbal when he in the system, but he had poor muscle control, in severe emotional distress, and suffered from frequent hysterical episodes. Foster parents later described him as withdrawn and fearful, especially of adult men. Thankfully, with stability, routine, and patience, he began to improve slowly, learning to speak and gaining coordination along the way, all while forming healthy attachments for the first time in his life. Michael experienced consistency, but Floyd, he didn't disappear completely. In nineteen ninety, authorities finally confirmed that Clarence Hughes was actually Franklin Delano Floyd, a fugitive with an extensive and violent criminal history stretching back decades. Thanks to the social Security number Floyd provided which didn't cleanly match the life history he claimed. Red flags began popping up with authorities and it began to dig deep into them. Authorities attempted to verify this Clarence Hughes across state and federal systems, but the identity began to collapse under scrutiny. Investigators discovered that the social Security number and biographical details attached to Clarence Hughes overlapped with multiple identities. Now He was arrested for all this, but it was after fingerprints were taken that they actually matched him to his original identity of being Franklin Delano Floyd. But even though he was in custody, Floyd was processed through the system without the full scope of his actions being visible because no one still had any idea about Sharon Now. All the while Floyd cycled through the custody and release, Michael remained in foster care. By nineteen ninety four, Michael had been placed in foster care with Merle and Ernest Bean in Choctaw. Soon though, they began actually going through the adopting process, believing Michael deserved permanence after years of instability. As part of the process, DNA testing was conducted to establish paternity, and that is when they would confirm that Floyd was not Michael's biological father, even though he said he was. Now that single fact changed everything, because any remaining legal claim Floyd had over Michael completely collapsed. His request to regain custody was denied to the court. Michael was now a child free to be adopted, and Floyd was a dangerous non relative with no legal ground to stand on.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is really good because I was worried that he was going to get control of this little boy again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was trying, and well the system said no, you're not his father.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank goodness, the system work exactly now for Floyd.
Speaker 1: This was well not a bureaucratic setback. It was an existential loss, to say the least. See, even after Floyd's fingerprints exposed his real identity, there still wasn't enough on the table to keep him locked up long term. Even though Floyd had a long and violent criminal pass, the law couldn't hold him just for being dangerous. His earlier sentences were already served, his fugitive charge had limits, and Sharon's death was still officially an accident. So once the paperwork ran out, Floyd walked free, legally blocked from Michael, but not imprisoned. Now Michael was the last person in the world Floyd could plausibly claim as his own. I mean, yeah, he wasn't a legal guardian, but he was still that last attachment he had. Without him, there was no leverage or cover story that he could come up with, no emotional anchor to manipulate the system or other people. And as the adoption process pushed forward, while Floyd realized something else. Once Michael was legally adopted, he would be unreachable forever. So Floyd made a decision. On the morning of September twelfth, nineteen ninety four, six year old Michael Anthony Hughes arrived at Indian Meridian Elementary School like any other first grader. He was living with his foster parents, who were still in that process of adopting him, and by all accounts, he was finally beginning to feel safe. His speech has improved and his behavior was stabilized, and for the first time since his mother's death, Michael had routine. That routine, however, was shattered shortly after class began this day, because Floyd he walked into the school that morning. First, without raising any immediate suspicion. He was calm and very purposeful, a man who knew exactly what he was there to do. He walked in and asked to see the principal, James Davis, and he waited for him quietly. When Davis met him, Floyd looked at him and partially revealed a handgun that he had on his body, and made his intentions very clear. He told the principle that he was there to take Michael, and that Davis well he was going to help him do it. Then made sure he told him too who if anyone resisted. Floyd said he was prepared to die to make it happen. So under duress, Principal Davis complied because he had no other option. You have a deranged man in a school with a gun with all these children around. The two men walked to Michael's classroom. As of course, Floyd had a gun on his body the entire time. The teacher was unaware that anything was wrong and was asked to send Michael into the hallway. Michael left the room, and Floyd then forced both Davis and Michael out of the building and into the principal's truck. As they drove away, Floyd dictated every single movement, every turn, every speed, every stop sign, and he directed Davis past the Bean family's home, which was Michael's foster parents place, and they drove onto a rural dirt road outside of town. There, Floyd ordered Michael out of the vehicle under the pretense of looking for a dog, and then he marched Davis out too, roughly forty to fifty yards into the woods. He handcuffed him to a tree, wrapped duct tape around his face, and there Floyd left the principle restrained in the heat, with no water and no way to move, and of course, with no certainty that anyone would find him either. After Floyd had left him behind, driving away in his truck, Davis managed to work at the tape around his mouth, and he got it loose enough that he was able to begin shouting. A nearby residence soon heard him and called the police. By the time Davis was rescued and authorities understood what had happened, more than three hours had passed since Floyd fled with Michael. Now those lost hours were extremely crucial, because no one inside the school realized that a kidnapping had occurred until long after Floyd was already gone. There had been no immediate lockdown, no alert to law enforcement, and no roadblocks, which means Floyd had ample time to leave the area and escape, and of course he did.
Speaker 2: Just making my heart just sink. I was not expecting this. No, no, Like, why can't you not just let the boy be? This is ridiculous? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't say much right now because you give away the story, Like, what.
Speaker 2: The actual shit? Really? It just it's maddening. It pisses me off. I'm pissed.
Speaker 1: That's a respectable answer. I totally understand, Like, what the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like this is a child.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're directing your anger from me and not the story I'm telling. Yeah, because I think I felt when you said, what the fuck are you doing? I think you were saying that to me.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't. Are you sure I was talking about this Floyd.
Speaker 1: You're talking to Floyd?
Speaker 2: Okay, I was talking to Floyd, and Floyd. I'm done with Floyd.
Speaker 1: Understandable, I am too, trust me. Now. When police finally contacted Michael's foster parents, Merle and Earnest, they were blindsided in a very surprising way because the call came from the school, not about an emergency. It was framed as a routine question asking for Michael's caseworker. Only later did they actually understand the truth that Michael had been taken.
Speaker 2: Oh, that doesn't seem great.
Speaker 1: No, So when they did find out actually what happened, they were devastated but kind of not surprised at the same time because they they actually warned Social Services multiple times that they feared Floyd would make an attempt to take Michael. In fact, they even thought they saw him driving by their house slowly after he officially lost custody. There was a call to Social Services being like I believe it was a merle who made the call and asking Okay, what's what's Floyd's truck looked like? And they described the truck and like, yeah, we just saw that truck and someone inside driving by slowly. We believe he's kind of casing our house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like, what are you supposed to do, because like, you want this little boy to have stability and go to school and stuff, right, So that's exactly.
Speaker 1: But there was also no protection because these this situation and others. Well, they were just dismissed as paranoia basically at the time. But the reality is these are real fears, and they had actually just materialized in the worst possible way.
Speaker 2: Well, and two, they're in the process of trying to get custody right, So I mean, if they stopped sending him to school or something right for his own protection, but there could be consequences for that, oh definitely. So gosh, they're like in a really tough position here for sure.
Speaker 1: Now. By the afternoon in September twelfth, nineteen ninety four, law enforcement and Choctaw were on the hunt after learning that the six year old child had been taken at gunpoint from an elementary school. However, they also knew that the kidnapper was not a stranger. He was Franklin Delano Floyd, a known fugitive with a documented history of violence, sexual assault, and child abduction. So within hours the case escalated beyond just local jurisdiction. The Federal Bureau of Investigation the FBI was brought in and retired Special Agent Joe Fitzpatrick was assigned as lead investigator. From the onset, investigators were racing against time. As many of us know In most kidnappings, the first forty eight hours are the most crucial, but this case carried a dangerous complication. Floyd was claiming to be Michael's father. Now that claim had, of course already been disproven legally, but it complicated early assumptions. And the reason that this is so crucial is because initially there was there was cautious hope that Floyd might keep Michael alive, at least temporarily, because they believe Michael still had value to him. But since Michael could potentially be taken away, proven to not even be his kid, well, that could pose a very scary situation, one where he may make it so no one could take Michael away and if he can't have him, then no one can kind of scenario.
Speaker 2: And he would be the type of person that's.
Speaker 1: Like that exactly. Special Agent Fitzpatrick's team quickly began digging into Floyd's recent history, not just as alias is, but his behavior, and what emerged was nothing short of alarming. It was a history we already know all too well, but for them, they were just learning it. And what came out of this was they learned he wasn't a man acting out of desperation. This was a man escalating as he always did. The FBI contacted the bureau's Behavioral Science Unit regarding the situation, and their assessment was blunt. They told them Floyd would not be able to keep Michael long term. He would simply become a liability to him. So, based on Floyd's history, agents were told they likely had about a week before they believed Michael would be killed.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, and they already like talk about pressure, they already would have had pressure. And then learning that.
Speaker 1: Exactly apbs were issued for the principal's truck. Agents flooded areas where Floyd had lived or previously traveled Atlanta, Phoenix, Louisville, and parts of Florida and Texas. Media coverage spread nationally and Michael's photo was broadcast on television and printed in newspapers. America's Most Wanted even featured the case twice. But this was nineteen ninety four. This was even before Amber alerts. There's no cell phone tracking, no traffic cameras, gas stations weren't blanketed with surveillance. And to top it all off, Floyd, well, he had a head start. Not only that he had decades of experience staying one step ahead of the system hiding so it looked bleak at best. Then, seven days into the search, the investigation took an unexpected turn. It was while retracing Floyd's pass that the federal agents began canvassing neighborhoods where he had lived under previous aliases, speaking with anyone who might still remember him now. During one of those visits, an agent knocked on the door of a former neighbor, and in their conversation this neighbor well, They showed him a photograph of the person that was their neighbor, and it kept for years. It was no an official record or evidence preserved by police, just a personal snapshot that had never been turned over to authorities. The image showed Floyd sitting casually with a young blonde girl perched on his lap. She appeared to be around five or six years old. The timeline made it impossible for the girl in the photograph to be Floyd's biological daughter, and at the time the picture was taken around nineteen seventy five, Floyd was either incarcerated or had no legitimate way of having fathered a child of any age. So soon investigators compared the child in the photograph to known images of Sharon Marshall, the woman who died in Oklahoma in nineteen ninety under the name Tanya Hughes, and the resemblance. Well, it was immediately difficult to ignore the bone structure in the face, the eye spacing, the shape of her mouth with her jaw, all of it aligned, and to agents reviewing it, this was not a vague similarity. It was the first concrete indication that Sharon had been with Floyd since early childhood. Now, remember, they still don't know who Sharon was. For investigators, the case shifted in an instant because they understood something chilling. Tanya Hughes had not met Floyd as an adult. Tanya Hughes was clearly Sharon, and it went back further. The woman whose death once seemed suspicious but isolated, was now instantly part of something much larger, a long term pattern of abduction, control, and abuse that stretched back decades. The case was no longer just about finding Michael. It was about uncovering who Tanya Hughes really was and what Floyd had been hiding in plainsight for nearly twenty years.
Speaker 2: How fricking confusing. Would that be? Hey?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well about learning that. I don't even think I would be able to my brain would be able to comprehend that. I would just be like the shit.
Speaker 1: Well, and you have to remember too, Sharon isn't even her real name. She was under the identity of Tanya Hughes, and police are working on connecting her to the name Sharon. Now Sharon is still a false name, and they still need to connect that to Suzanne, which, trust me, I'll get into.
Speaker 2: The only thing is maybe it makes them feel like they have a bit more time. You know that he's planning to keep Michael and not necessarily be rid of him.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe. However, when you consider what happens next, echoes up the window pretty quick, okay, because thanks to the investigator's hard work. Floyd was arrested on November one, nineteen ninety four, in Louisville, nearly seven weeks after he abducted Michael in front of his principle, and when authorities finally caught up to him. The moment, while it carried both relief and dread because Floyd was alive, but Michael, well, he wasn't with him. They didn't know where he was. From the beginning of questioning, Floyd controlled the conversation. He refused to give a straight answer about the boy's whereabouts, offering vague and contradictory statements that seemed designed to keep investigators engaged without ever committing to a verifiable claim. At the times, he implied Michael was living and being cared for by some rich person. At other moments, he suggested Michael's return might depend on legal consequences. He never provided a location. Though he never provided a name or detail that could be checked out to verify any of his claims. He just simply would not provide anything and said, Michael's fine. That's that. Behind closed doors, investigators were already confronting the grim possibility that Michael was no longer alive, but again Floyd wouldn't confirm it. Floyd's movements in the weeks following the abduction have been partially reconstructed through witness statements and travel patterns. Several people recall seeing a man matching Floyd's descriptions with a young boy at rest stops and convenience stores across Texas and Oklahoma. One witness described an encounter at a highway rest stop area where a child appeared withdrawn and distressed, clinging to the man but clearly uncomfortable. Then the sighting stopped after that, No confirmed reports placed Michael with Floyd after the first several days of the escape, the runaway, whatever you want to call it. This aligned with the FBI's early behavioral assessment. Floyd's criminal history showed a pattern of escalating violence, impulsivity under pressure, and an inability to maintain long term concealment when a victim became inconvenient. Agents had been warned early that Michael's survival window was likely short. By the time Floyd was arrested in Kentucky, many privately believed that Michael was already dead. As the kidnapping investigation stalled, a separate discovery in the Midwest would crack open an entirely different part of Floyd's past, one that would ultimately own overshadow even the abduction of Michael. In March nineteen ninety five, in Kansas, a mechanic working on a previously stolen pickup truck that he had purchased at auction noticed something unusual during repairs. Wedged between the truck bed and the gas tank was a thick envelope carefully concealed. He opened it and inside were ninety seven photographs, some innocuous, but others were unmistakably disturbing. Many of these photos showed Sharon, but these photos didn't depict just her. Several of the images also depicted someone else, a woman bound, bruised and severely beaten. Her face was swollen beyond recognition in some frames, but there were some snapshots where you could see kind of what she would look like. This was clearly not an accident. These were clearly records of abuse, and investigators were notified and they quickly tracked the truck back to Floyd. He had stolen it in Oklahoma shortly after Michael's abduction and abandoned it weeks later in Texas. When detectives compared the photographs to open cases, one name resurfaced almost immediately, and that was Cheryl Ann Comesso. If you recall from part one of this story, Cheryl had disappeared in Tampa, Florida, in nineteen eighty nine. She was eighteen years old at the time and worked as an exotic dancers at the same club that Sharon Marshall did. Coworkers had witnessed a heated confrontation between Cheryl and Floyd outside the club shortly before she vanished. Cheryl and Sharon were great friends, and Cheryl was standing up for her friend. Floyd accused her of reporting Sharon for benefit fraud, an accusation that allegedly resulted in Sharon losing financial assistance. Witnesses later told police they even saw Floyd punch Cheryl in the face during the argument. At the time, suspicion existed, but the evidence didn't, and now there was photographic evidence that could be tied directly to Floyd himself. Not long after that, though, things got even worse. Skeletal remains were found in a wooded area off Interstate two hundred and seventy five in Penniless County, Florida. An anthropologist determined that the victim had suffered blunt force trauma and gunshot wounds to the head, and when forensic examiners compared the remains to the photographs recovered from the truck, the injuries aligned. The facial fractures were visible in the images, and they match damages to the skull. Clothing seen in the photographs also matched fibers recovered from the burial site, it seemed the case against Floyd for Cheryl Komesso's murder was no longer circum substantial.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, we all thought, but you hoped that that wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, but it clearly was the case.
Speaker 2: What a complete piece of garbage this guy is. Like, it's it's just it's hard to just sit here and like listen to all the things that he's done.
Speaker 1: It's just it sums up and I've used this word so many times for so many people like him, but it sums it up really well with one word. He's a monster. Yeah, And imagine being in Cheryl's shoes. You are taken, you are beaten, and you know your life is on the line.
Speaker 2: And you already knew this guy was a complete.
Speaker 1: Asshole, right, but now he's sitting here taking photos of you when you're most vulnerable like this, and you know what it's about to happen, and he's probably reveling in this, laughing at this while he's doing this.
Speaker 2: Dang and yeah, she was eighteen years old. Yeah, and then to hide them in like this truck like that, that is that's also just really bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: Well, he clearly the trophies to him, clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But generally you don't just like discard your trophies per se, do you.
Speaker 1: I don't think he discarded them. I think it was a matter of forgetting them there something like that, and lost them as.
Speaker 2: He's onto his next frickin' shit thing that he's.
Speaker 1: Doing exactly, and someone just so happened to run across them.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Now, as prosecutors prepared their case, investigators began reviewing the remaining photographs a little more closely, and what they found was deeply unsettling. The collection of photos depicting Sharon did not begin in adulthood. Some appeared to show her as a child, posed, exploited sexually, and photographed at various ages. Now that's as far as I'm going to go into the detail of those photos, but the timeline suggested years of documented abuse, beginning long before Sharon ever appeared in public records as a teenager in Georgia. This forced investigators to reconsider everything they thought they knew about Sharon Marshall, just as they did with the name Tanya Hughes, because she clearly no longer was just a woman who had died under suspicious circumstances in Oklahoma. She was no longer simply a victim of domestic violence either, not that that's a simple situation, but the evidence suggested that she had been in Floyd's control ever since she was a child, taken, renamed, moved, and hidden in plain sight for nearly two decades. And if that was true, then the question investigators had been circling for years suddenly became unavoidable. Who was Sharon Marshall before Franklin Floyd? Now as Floyd sat in custody awaiting trial for the murder of Cheryl Anne Camesso, prosecutors began assembling what would become one of the most disturbing evidence records many of them had ever handled. The photographs recovered from the stolen truck were foundation for this case, but they were only the beginning. Investigators traced the furniture, bedding, and interior details visible in the images back to a trailer Floyd had shared with Sharon Marshall and Florida. That trailer, they learned, had burned to the ground shortly after Cheryl disappeared in nineteen eighty nine. Fire investigators at the time ruled the blaze was intentional. It appeared to be an isolated arson case, but now this was more like evidence destruction, a cover up. Witnesses from the Tampa Strip club where both women worked came forward again, and this time with renewed urgency. They described Floyd's escalating control over Sharon, his frequent presence at the club, and the confrontation with Cheryl that occurred shortly before she disappeared. Several recalled Floyd openly blaming Cheryl for Sharon losing government benefits, a grievance that had clearly festered, and the physical evidence tied it all together. Forensic anthropologists compared the injuries visible in the photographs to Cheryl's skeletal remains. The fractures to her cheekbone and the skull were consistent with blunt force trauma seen in the images. The gunshot wounds when they matched the damage documented during autopsy, even the clothing photographed, while it all aligned with the remnants found near the burial site. By the time the case went to trial, the narrative was not really in question. Floyd had beaten Cheryl, photographed her injuries, shot her, and disposed of her body was pretty simple and straightforward. In two thousand and two, a jury would convict Floyd of the first degree murder of Cheryl Ann Camesso, and they also unanimously recommended the death penalty, and the judge agreed.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, just like that. Hey yep.
Speaker 1: Now, as the courtroom focused on Cheryl's murder, investigators were quietly shifting their focus to the photographs that did not depict Cheryl. They were beginning to focus now on the ones that Sharon Marshall was in as a young chin, long before she appeared in any sort of other records with school or whatnot. The ages, as I mentioned, didn't line up with Floyd's claims of him being her father. The timelines didn't fit any known custody arrangement either, and no missing persons reports ever existed that matched her description for Joe Fitzpatrick and any other agents who had been involved since Michael Hughes's kidnapping. This was the moment the case fundamentally shifted. Cheryl's murder had been solved and Floyd would likely die in prison, but Sharon remain unidentified. No one knew who she was. She'd been enrolled in schools, she'd earned scholarships, worked under that name, Sharon married and died all without anyone ever knowing where she came from. There were no birth certificates, child medical records, confirmed relatives. She had lived an entire life on paper that appeared suddenly in adolescents and then was gone when she passed. Investigators began referring to her as the living Jane Doe because despite years of searching, no missing child case ever matched her age, her appearance, or her timeline. Floyd had clearly constructed a false identity that withstood scrutiny for decades, and now, with him facing execution and not talking, the chances of learning the truth seemed slim because he wasn't giving anything up for the first time. The case stalled, with two questions lingering long after the verdict. Who was Sharon Marshall And what really happened to Michael? Joe Fitzpatrick, the FBI agent who led the kidnapping investigation, retired without any answers to either. Sharon had lived and died under an identity that could not be verified, and Michael vanished without a trace. The case, in fact, might have faded entirely if not for an investigative journalist named Matt burke Beck see In the early two thousands, Matt was sent a photograph by a private investigator. It showed a man and a young girl sitting together. The note attached was brief. The man had kidnapped the girl, raised her as his daughter, married her, and later killed people connected to her life.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Matt burke Beck recognized the name immediately as Franklin Delano Floyd, and when he began making calls, he quickly learned that law enforcement shared the unease with this opened and endless case. The more that he dug the stranger, the case became. Now, this was before social media, but online forums like web Sleuths were beginning to attract amateur investigators who combed through cold cases, missing person databases, and unidentified remains. Cheryl's profile appeared on sites like dough Network and name us. Tips poured in, many unreliable, some thoughtful, but none definitive. Whateveryone agreed on was this Sharon had clearly been taken as a child, but from where. In two thousand and four, Matt Birkbeck would publish his book on the story of his findings, titled as a Beautiful Child Laying out Sharon's life as completely as possible, her school years, her friendships, her intelligence, her fear of Floyd, and her death. The book unfortunately did not solve the mystery, but it did something just as important. It made Sharon impossible to ignore. Within months, people from around the world were trying to identify her. The renewed attention eventually reached the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. By then, Sharon's case was considered a long term unidentified child abduction. There was no family advocating for her, no open police department pushing the case forward, and no guarantee that she had even ever been reported missing in the first place. Now they initiated a comprehensive case review, pairing sharon file with Michael Hughes's disappearance. Their conclusion was blunt Floyd was the only person who knew the truth, and if anyone was going to extract it from him, it would take a fresh approach. So in twenty twelve, the FBI reopened both cases and assigned them to Special Agent Scott lab He was given limited time and resources, but he had one advantage his predecessors didn't. Floyd had been sitting on death row for nearly a decade at this point, with no visitors and no leverage left, so if Floyd was ever going to talk, this was likely the last chance. Special agent Scott lab approached the case methodically. He didn't rush to interview Floyd. Instead, he studied him. He watched every recorded appearance, every courtroom outburst, every fragment of footage that they had, and it all showed how Floyd behaved when challenged, and what he found was a very consistent pattern. Floyd responded to authority, but only when it was unmistakable. He needed to believe the person across from him had power and intended to use it. So to maximize their chances, the FBI paired Lob with seasoned interrogator Nate Furr. The two spent months planning the encounter together. They coordinated roles, appearances, pacing an even posture. This was not going to be a casual conversation because they knew they might not get another chance. And when the time finally came and Floyd was brought into the interview room, he was shackled and immediately hostile towards the two men that he assumed were lawyers to represent him.
Speaker 2: This is good shit, Hey, Like, yes, they're like preparing for like a almost like an acting role of sorts.
Speaker 1: You know, well, that's exactly what they're doing. They're making sure they know their role. Yeah, what they're going to do, how to act, how to feed each other, both of it, all of it.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's like glorious. Really yeah.
Speaker 1: But now he's sitting there and he starts shouting and ranting at them, and he refused to let either agent speak for nearly forty five minutes. They let him talk, They let him go off the rails. They let him do whatever he wanted say, yell, scream, whatever. They didn't interrupt, They didn't even correct him on the fact that he thought they were lawyers there. He thought they were lawyers. Sorry, right, They just allowed him to exhaust himself. And then finally, only them did Lob tell the truth. They weren't his lawyers. He's like, we are FBI agents and they're reopening the case on Michael Hughes's investigation. And the effect was immediate. Floyd stopped yelling, he leaned back in his chair, and for this first time, he started to listen. Now, Lob made it clear that this interview would proceed on the FBI's terms, and the FBI's terms, only they would tell his story or someone else would that framing it mattered, and it mattered most because Floyd had always wanted control over the narrative, and now, for the first time in years, he had an audience again. The interrogation unfolded slowly, as the agents walked Floyd through timelines he thought no one remembered. They asked about travel, roots, about aliases, about gaps and records, and eventually they focused in on Michael. At first, Floyd deflected it a little bit. He claimed that the boy had been upset during a drive after the kidnapping. He said, Michael cried and he said he couldn't calm him down, and as they pressed him though, Floyd's composure began to crack. He began crying, and he asked why they were doing this to him, framing himself almost as the victim in the situation. But that's the moment that Lob struck and he asked a very direct question. He looked at Floyd and said, how did you kill him? For a moment, Floyd said nothing, but then without warning, the tears stopped, and he said he shot Michael twice in the back of the head to make it quick.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I mean, at this point we kind of expected that, I guess.
Speaker 1: But yeah, jeez. And so just like that, the fate of Michael Hughes was finally known. He's dead. Floyd told them that he was driving towards Texas, knowing law enforcement would be waiting near the border. He admitted stopping, but claimed he didn't dispose of Michael at a rest area, say mess rest area where people had witnessed seeing him at, but he didn't dispose of him because people were watching. Instead, he drew a map for the agents and pointed to a remote location near an intersection along Interstate thirty five, where he said he left Michael's body. The search of that area followed, and forensic teams sifted through thousands of square feet of soil by hand, looking for anything a zipper, a shoe, a bone, a belt buckle, but nothing was found. Investigators later acknowledged that this well was most likely the situation where wildlife had destroyed what remained of the body, and that it probably would never be able to be recovered. Oh really, Now, as horrific as Floyd's confession was, it was not the interview's final revelation. As the agents pushed more, they began to ask about Sharon Marshall in her early years. Floyd began talking about Cherryville, North Carolina. He described himself as a bus driver and bragged about his appearance, and casually he mentioned meeting a woman at a truck stop. When asked what his name was at the time, what his alias was, Floyd answered, without hesitation, Brandon Cleio Williams, he said. In that moment, the agents froze, this was not a name no one had ever heard associated with Floyd before, and from there the story unraveled quickly. Floyd said that he met a woman named Sandy and began telling all about his past. But when officers stopped and asked who Sharon was, and I mean who she really was, Floyd simply told them without hesitation. Her name, he said, was Suzanne Sevecchis, and when asked where she was born, he answered Lavoyna, Michigan, September sixth, nineteen sixty nine. He also told them about the siblings, how he took them, placed them up for adoption, and just like that, Sharon Marshall had a real name Suzanne. Now, in Part one, I said I would be calling her Sharon because I believe both names are truly hers, and I do still believe that she grew up and lived most of her life as Sharon, and she made that name Sharon her own, even if a monster gave her that name. But for the remainder of this story, I do want to say I will be referring to her as Suzanne. That's her birth name, and that is when she truly was separated from the man that took her life. In this moment, when they discovered that her name was Suzanne, and I think that matters. So allowing her to be Suzanne again, I think is the best way to honor her. So that's what I will be doing.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty surprised that he just admitted this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just spilled, But.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe that's what time will do. And these people came very prepared to get this information out of him. And there you go, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you had two professionals who know what they're doing, prepared for a long time, and you have someone who's just sitting there with nothing but time, yeah, to think, to wait, and no one's asking questions anymore. For almost a decade.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: So he finally gets another opportunity and he just says it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well I do like how they went about wording that, like, you know, if you don't tell us our story, we're going to basically make it for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us your story or we're going to tell the world what we think.
Speaker 2: Yeah is wow? That is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, once Franklin Floyd spoke the name Suzanne Maurice of Akis, the case accelerated in a way few long dormant investigations ever do. Within hours, agents confirmed that the birth certificate that he had described to them, with her name and birthday and all that it existed, that the dates line that the child had been renamed Sharon Marshall while she was born in Michigan on September sixth, nineteen sixty nine. The discovery immediately reframed nearly every assumption law enforcement had ever made about her life. Suzanne had not come along in adolescence. She was in fact taken as a child, just as they believe these photos did depict. But the next question will it was obvious and uncomfortable. How did a five year old disappear without leaving a try how did he get Suzanne and no one looked for her? That answer led investigators to Sandra Francis Brandenburg, Suzanne's mother. At the time of Suzanne's disappearance in the mid nineteen seventies, Sandra was living in Cherryville, raising four children largely on her own. The circumstances surrounding that period, reconstructed decades later through interviews and fragmented records, paint a picture of instability and proved critical to understanding how Floyd was able to remove Suzanne from her life without immediate consequences. In nineteen seventy three, a tornado struck Cherryville and destroyed the trailer park where Sandra and her children had lived. The family was temporarily housed in a motel through emergency relief programs. Sandra was pregnant at the time, Deeply shaken by the disaster and struggling with what would now likely be recognized as severe trauma and untreated mental health distress. She eventually turned to social services, telling them she did not believe she was capable of safely caring for her children. But it was during this period that Franklin Floyd entered her life under the alias Brandon Cleo Williams. Sandra would later say they met through church, where she was visibly distressed and crying. Floyd presented himself as calm, stable and divinely sent to help her. I'm sure it must have seemed like a miracle to her. Like her prayers were answered on the spot, and within days he offered to marry her, and within only days more they were wed. Almost immediately, he accompanied her to social services and secured the return of the children. Then, in nineteen seventy five, as we know, Sandra was sentenced to thirty days in jail for passing a bad check. While incarcerated, she left the children in Floyd's care. When she was released returned home, the residence was empty. Floyd was gone, and so were the children. Through church run social services, Sandra eventually alone caated her two middle daughters, Alison and Amy. But Suzanne, however, was gone, and so was Sandra's infant son Philip. When Sandra attempted to report Suzanne missing, she was told Floyd was the child's stepfather and had legal authority, and so Suzanne simply vanished into Floyd's custody without anyone ever looking for her.
Speaker 2: Right, so she was never even reported as missing, exactly as they felt that she was with a legal guardian.
Speaker 1: Exactly. How can you identify a missing child if there's no reports of a missing child to identify, too unbelievable. Her biological father, Clifford Ray seve Akis, had previously signed parental consent allowing the children to be adopted, believing this would insure stability and keep the sisters together, And so when he later learned Sandra had remarried and reclaimed the children, he accepted that decision and honored that agreement not to interfere. For decades, he simply assumed Suzanne was alive, growing up in another family. For investigators, the revelation of all this was sobering, to say the least. By the time Suzanne re entered public life as Sharon Marshall, enrolled in schools, earning scholarships, making friends, all of this, the system had already lost her, and it would take her death, the kidnapping of her son, and nearly two decades of investigation and persistence to finally bring her real name back to light. Identifying Suzanne was a win, but there was still some loose ends. Investigators needed to find out. For years, investigators had believed Philip, known in the family accounts as Stevie, had disappeared alongside Suzanne when Franklin Floyd fled Texas in the mid nineteen seventies. His name appeared in missing person databases with approximate dates and little corroborating documentation. Even within the FBI. In the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, uncertainty lingered over whether the child had ever left North Carolina at all, but that uncertainty persisted until twenty nineteen, when a man living in Cherryville came forward with a suspicion he carried quietly since childhood. See he had been adopted as an infant. The topic was never really openly discussed in the household, but he discovered paperwork years earlier showing his original name was Brandenburg. As an adult after the death of his adopted father, he began searching online for answers, and what he found was a missing person listing that matched his birth date, his birthplace, and the name that he had seen on those documents. DNA testing soon confirmed he was, in fact Philip Stephen Brandenburg.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, this just keep it, just keeps going, Hey, it does, but I also feel like, gosh, would he want to know all this? Terrible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but all four of those kids that were originally kidnapped by Floyd are officially now accounted for because the two middle sisters the mother got back, got them back, and so it was Suzanne and Philip who are missing. And now as an adult, Philip has finally filled in that last missing slot, while Suzanne, unfortunately was killed.
Speaker 2: Huh gosh okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Back in the nineteen nineties, after Floyd kidnapped Michael, the FBI traced a newborn adoption connected to Susanne and Floyd in New Orleans. That baby, a girl, had been placed with a family who had long suspected there was something deeply wrong about the circumstances surrounding that adoption. For years, they chose silence to protect their privacy, even as Suzanne's story resurfaced in books, court records, and online forums. But eventually they did reach out. The daughter, named Megan, grew up knowing she was adopted and that her biological mother had died in a car accident. That explanation, though incomplete, had been enough for a long time. Learning the truth that her mother had been kidnapped as a child, abused for years, and killed under suspicion circumstances well that came slowly and with care. Megan did not approach the story as a mystery to be solved. She approached it as a family history she needed to understand on her own terms. She read only portions of the books written about her mother. She searched for photographs. She looked for traces of resemblance, moments of normalcy, fragments of a life that existed outside of the violence that ultimately defined public understanding of Suzanne Sebacas. Her involvement shifted the tone of the case, because Suzanne was no longer only a victim reconstructed through files and memories. She was now a mother remembered by a living child. In twenty seventeen, a but symbolic act marked the convergence of all these long separated lives. Suzanne's gravestone in Oklahoma, which for decades bore the name Tanya, it simply said Tanya nineteen sixty seven to nineteen ninety, and then it also said the words I'll always be with you. It stood where she was buried. It was paid for and provided by her friends and co workers. Floyd didn't have a penny that he put into it. Of course, they learned that her name wasn't Tanya Hughes, but they didn't know what to put, so they put the only name they knew, Tanya. But now with the discovery of who she really was, it was replaced with her real name, and now it reads Suzanne Marie Sevakis September sixth, nineteen sixty nine to April thirtieth, nineteen ninety Devoted mother and friend.
Speaker 2: Aw that's really nice.
Speaker 1: Family members, former classmates, friends and investigators, and her daughter Megan herself gathered to acknowledge what the system had failed to do. In real time. For the first time, Suzanne was publicly mourned as who she truly was. The ceremony did not resolve every unanswered question or bring back Michael. It didn't fully reconcile the anger, grief, and disagreement with Suzanne's family over what could have or should have been done differently, either. But it did something else that mattered deeply to those present. It restored Suzanne's identity in the historical records, and it gave them closure, if even only a little. She was no longer just the girl and the photograph, or the dancer with a false name, or the victim of a hit and run that never made sense. She was Suzanne Sevakus, a stolen child, a brilliant student, a devoted mother, and a woman whose life intersected with one of the most dangerous predators in modern American criminal history. Now, as for Michael Hughes, without remains or forensic corroboration to back up what Floyd had told them, Michael Hughes could not be officially declared a homicide victim. He remains listed as missing, though presumed dead. For Michael's adoptive parents, Ernest and merle Bean, the outcome was devastating. They'd taken in a deeply traumatized toddler who could not speak, who rocked himself, who panicked in confined spaces, and over several years they watched him stabilize and begins school. When Floyd abducted Michael, he did not just steal a child. He erased a future with a family that had finally begun to take shape. Floyd never expressed remorse for Michael's disappearance. He never offered any clarity. He even in his confessions appeared calculated, arriving decades later when it could no longer meaningfully affect his sentence or expose him to additional punishment. Franklin Delano Floyd remained on death row in Florida for the nineteen eighty nine murder of Cheryl Anne Comesso, and he died in custody on January twenty third, twenty twenty three, at the age of seventy nine. What remains in his wake is a case that unfolded across decades. His crimes were not the result of a single missed opportunity or catastrophic decision. They unfolded because of repeated institutional failures across multiple states, agencies and systems that rarely communicated with one another. The first failure happened quietly in nineteen seventy five, when Suzanne Sevakis vanished while her mother served a short jail sentence. No Amber alerts existed or coordinated interstate response followed. Authorities accepted that a stepfather had legal standing to remove children, even when the circumstances were clearly abnormal. Later failures were more subtle. School systems accepted paper work without verification, identity changes went unchecked. Social services and law enforcement operated in silos, each each seeing only fragments of a much larger pattern. Even when people noticed something was wrong teachers, classmates, coworkers, The absence of concrete proof stalled intervention. Suzanne learned early that silence was safer than resistance, and Floyd depended on that silence to survive. Yet despite it all, the case also shows what persistence can accomplish. Even if late ryl Ann Kamessal's murder was not solved through confession or eyewitness testimony, it was solved because of a mechanic noticing in envelope hidden in a stolen truck. Investigators refused to dismiss what was found, and forensic comparisons, patient reconstruction, and an unwillingness to let crucial circumstantial evidence be ignored ultimately secured Floyd's conviction and death sentence. Three of Sharon Marshall lasted decades longer than it should have, but it did not stay buried forever. Investigative journalism, renewed FBI attention, and advances in DNA analysis combined to answer questions that once seemed unresolvable. Susanne Sebacus was found, not alive, but found and restored to her name, her family, and her history. Other endings arrived quietly. Philip Brandenburg lived an entire life unaware of they had once been missing. Megan grew up without knowing the truth of her mother until adulthood, then chose to step forward anyways. These discoveries did not undo what had been done, but they narrowed the distance between what was known and what had been lost. Little Michael Hughes unfortunately remains the exception. His fate rests entirely on the words of a man who lied as easily as he breathed. In the end, the case of Sharon Marshall is not a story about a mystery alone. It is a record of how long abuse can go, even out into the open. Susanne Servakis was a child taken and abused. She was a young woman who tried to escape, and a mother whose life ended before she ever got the chance to truly be free. Cheryl Comesso was not collateral damage. She was a victim whose resistance likely sealed her fate, but in the end, because of her willingness to stand up for her friend, she was also the key to unlocking this entire story and putting Floyd behind bars for good, even if she wasn't alive to do so. If she had never stood up to him, I wonder what would have become of this story. All I know is I'm sure Suzanne would be proud of her friend for that. What remains now, though, is the facts and the names restored were possible, and the knowledge that some truths take decades to surface, but they still matter when they do. And that's a story of Sharon Marshall.
Speaker 2: Good God, this case makes me want to just solve, Like if I just went and sat in a dark, quiet corner, would probably just let it you.
Speaker 1: Your eyes are welling up right now.
Speaker 2: It's really sad this one, and it really fucked up yep, And nothing about it really makes sense, Like it makes sense. But why on earth did he have to take Michael?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean all of the stuff in here is like that, but like it just why, Like that kid was set up for life?
Speaker 1: None of it makes sense. You start with the four children here originally took. He'd put up three of them up for adoption, but kept Susan. You can make the argument he's a sexual predator, gotcha. Sure that makes some sense if you look at it and that aspect. But then she had three kids. He made her adopt the first one, kept the second one, adopt the third one. Then later after hypothetically killing her, there's a lot of question marks about that. What happened to her in hospital, there's many much speculation about what he did to her behind doctor's backs.
Speaker 2: Well, it definitely wouldn't be surprising exactly.
Speaker 1: So people theorize he did kill her in hospital, But then after that he goes and then takes Michael to just kill him. So none of it has any sense behind it whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like this, I don't know. I don't. I sometimes feel like I'm a little bit immune to like true crime because we've just covered so many cases and you know, it's a big part of our life, I guess, But there are certain cases that still just fuck me up. Well, this is one of them.
Speaker 1: Every single true crime case, it does hit me like a knife in the gut. But then, like you're saying, there's a couple where it seems like that knife twists or saltz port on the wound, it just hits differently. Not to say one case is greater or worse than the others. But yeah, you're right, some just they don't make sense. Yeah, why And like I said, one word encapsulates him. He's a monster, period, shortstop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of monsters in this world. And the fact too that he lived so long. I don't love that. Like what I mean, he had a terrible life in jail, I'm hoping, but like, why did he get to just live his whole life like that when he was killing people who were really young?
Speaker 1: I know? Now. I do want to say one thing though, because with true crime we talk about these monsters, these individuals who do horrible things, murderers, kidnappers, predators, all this sort of stuff. It's easy to focus on them and say this world is filled with monsters. You also have to remember the people surrounding this case. Single true crime with case covers a monster, but it covers so many good, good people in it too. There's hypothetic. If he's a monster, then these are angels. These are saviors Cheryl who backed up her friend. You have the investigators who never let this go. You have the special agents who spent months rehearsing knowing they had this one last shot to try and get the information from from Floyd to try and find out what happened.
Speaker 2: People never let up, like and Michael's adoptive parents.
Speaker 1: You know exactly, there are angels out there that outweigh these monsters tenfold. Time and time again, there are so I want us to remember that the good.
Speaker 2: Does outweigh the bad. You know, generally speaking, it's.
Speaker 1: Just sometimes hard to turn a blind eye to the bad. So anyways, hopefully you guys enjoyed this story. Like I said, bit of a deep dive. There is a lot on this. I think I'm soon going to get that book and give it a read, because this story is one that has peaked my interest and I would like to still go a little deeper even after we've finished telling the tale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you did a good job. Well done.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You pass the test.
Speaker 1: Pass the test? Okay, thank you. I'm glad I passed a plus. And thank you guys for being here. We appreciate you. We're independent, we're a podcast all on our own. It's because of you we get to keep going. So if if you want to keep listening, we appreciate it. If you're here now and this is all you ever listened to. Hey, we still appreciate you. You mean a lot to us. Thank you, and until next time, stay wicked.