Speaker 1: Going Down to South Park is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive South Park reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Fourth Finger Discount, Tales of Futurama, Bobbas Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seinfeld, The One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com Slash four Finger Discount.
Speaker 2: You wanted to kill everyone who wasn't Ginger. Then that kid in the green hat told you something, and now you don't want to do it all of a sudden. What did he tell you? No, he was just telling me about something funny that happened at school yesterday.
Speaker 3: But anyway, Oh oh wow, I can't believe how great it feels to.
Speaker 4: Finally love my fellow man. Huh, isn't this great? You guys?
Speaker 3: We've sure been through a lot, but in the end, we all learned it's best to get along, hand in hand.
Speaker 4: We can live together. Ginger or night. We're all the same, black, old white bran ol red.
Speaker 2: We shouldn't kill each other because it's name kick Ash.
Speaker 4: Too. Going Down the South by the podcast where we always have ourselves a time, and this week we're going to be eradicating some gingers. I'm Dando and I am guy. Yes, we're a ginger kid. When I had hair, my hair was kind of light brown. But I am hair. I've never known you with hair, that's true. I mean, yeah, a lot of people do not. Do you have curly hair, you have straight hair. It was wavy, wavy hair. That was beautiful, Yeah, really was. But he's not work. That was a different kind of beautiful. Now I'm ruggly beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beautiff. What's that guy's name again.
Speaker 4: James James Blunt. Yeah, I'm gotta say, related to this. Even though I was never a ginger, I did relate. I was. This got me thinking about a pivotal photograph from my youth growing up in the long long ago, the nineteen seventies. I've mentioned my good friend, one of my best friends, certainly my best friend growing up. JP.
Speaker 1: You do it again, I'm going to I'm.
Speaker 4: I'm going to sound like I've got an inordinate crush of my friend JP here, But the best of my knowledge, he is not an aryan Nazi or anything like that. But JP blonde hair, blue eyes, be out in the sun for five minutes and just you know, had this beautiful tan. There's a picture of him and me when we're like six or seven years old at my house by the pool. Here he is looking like the epitome of Australian boyhood. Here's me, maybe a couple of inches shorter, squinting as I always did it when the you know, when the sun was in my eyes, pale as milk.
Speaker 1: And definition four k.
Speaker 4: It's pretty much progressive gen. We're ascessive gen. It's like my bo felt. I felt a kinship and an affinity for and respect from my ginger ginger brothers and sisters in this in this episode. I'm I remember this episode in some ways, but a lot of I didn't. Yeh found it abound it very very funny. But before we talk about that, shall we talk about some other things Parker and Stone related, particularly as it relates to my life.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I was talking about meat. So I celebrated my thirteenth anniversary a couple of days ago. But you celebrate your seventh anniversary.
Speaker 4: Seventh anniversary of the Lovely Luis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you went and watched a particular stage show we did.
Speaker 4: It was dinner on a show. Yeah, Lou and I went to Melbourne, had a fantastic steak dinner at seven Alfred, friend of the Pod, and then caught The Book of Mormon, which has returned to Melbourne for a new season. We got it before opening nine. I guess it was a preview.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, did you know much about the show before we went in?
Speaker 4: I was trying to go in as blindish as possible. I knew what it was about, but I didn't really know any of the songs, and I didn't know much of the story at all. Because I knew I wanted to see it one day and I wanted to get get dispress possible, and I'm glad I did because I found it just hilarious. I mean, it's how many times have we talked on this show about you know, Parkeringstone are clearly as musical theater Fisieronados, but also just kind of say masters of the form. But they're really really good at it. It's so good at it. The comic timing, Yeah, absolutely. I mean there's there's great sort of in your face, politically correct outrageous humor in this.
Speaker 1: Which when you go to a South Park the guys from the guys that created South Park have to have in their shows. You expecting it, aren't you.
Speaker 4: At the same Yeah, But at the same time, I mean, I don't think this was kind of like and there weren't old people at this, and there maybe were, but the way it's presented is, oh my god, that's confronting. But also it's like, yeah, but I don't think you're being cruel with it, and you just go along with it. But the songs are just fantastic. Yeah. I'm still humming them and singing them weeks later. So yeah, the book more than definitely worth checking out. I'm guessing the people who listen to going down to South Park are already well for me with it. You've seen it. I'm sure I saw it in London on the West End. Yeah, but this particular production, this Melbourne production, is Australian actors. All Australian actors can tell. Yeah, and they were great, I will say that. For me. Well, the two male leads playing Elder Price and Eldercut are fantastic. For me. The standard was the actor playing Elder McKinley. He sort of leads the is it turn it off or switch it off the song I can't remember turn it off, like let's switch fantastic song. But this guy is, yeah, absolute winner. So yeah, I had a great, great time, really enjoyed it. Yeah his name is Tom Strook, I believe, so yeah he was. He was great. Lou really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: So yeah, a good time was had.
Speaker 1: I love it. Like Lou, this is what we're doing an anniversary. She's like, I don't really, I don't care. We're going to see the book a moment.
Speaker 4: I think Lou was just happy that I organized something. We're going here for dinner and we catch on the show and I've also booked the hotel. I saw.
Speaker 1: It's funny how they always organized our lives. I saw a funny meme this morning. It was Chunk is a Chunk from the Goonies? Yes, yes, and the what's the monster guy called sloth Sloth and he's like, you're gonna live with me now. It's like like, this is my wife meeting me. I'm going to take care of you now. Just what it is. It's like, you're gonna live with me now and I'm going to help you live organize your life make sure you eat, make sure you look after yourself, make sure you shave your back, to all your usual shit.
Speaker 4: But yeah, ginger kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I like this, although at certain elements I'm watching this going I kind of feel like we've been there, done that with Passion to the Jew.
Speaker 4: There's a little bit of wheel spinning here. Absolutely. I mean I think they realize looks it's always gold when Cartman can be a hate monger. Is a very effective hate monger, isn't he at least he's not going to die. Yeah, but he does it so well. I mean, say what you like about Cartman. He's got a real, you know, knack, but I don't know, rabble rousing for getting crowds together and getting people behind his ideas and his movements.
Speaker 1: Well, he's very The character obviously is very quick on his feet. He's able to sort of see situation and go, Okay, this isn't going how I intended it. How can I divert it this way to make sure I get to my desired destination? Absolutely, which is what you see in the final act where like Kyle whispers in his ear and I did love here where the kid was like what the kids said here. It's like you said kill all and he said something to you and you say, no, kill them all.
Speaker 4: That's actually one of my favorite I don't want to jump ahead too much, but you just said like fifteen seconds ago, and it's great because so many movies will have that gun on the Yeah, well that will the kind of thing will go unacknowledged. You just said that fifteen seconds ago. You said this. What did you say? Sorry? Because coming, Oh my god, you guys, I just realized that we should all like live, we should live together in peace, hand and hand.
Speaker 1: Did you not? But yeah, it did kind of feel like I'm like, we've kind of been here and done that. But apparently they got the idea for this when they were in England parking Stone promoting the show and they saw a billboard and on the billboard it said only you can prevent ginger and had a picture of a ginger girl and like, what was that? What mooting?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Was it saying you can prevent being ginger? You can prevent I don't get it. Only you can prevent ginger? Wow? Anyway, the idea for that and they thought, well, see for me, I don't feel like in Australia, Ginger kids were picked on like. It was never something I experienced. Nicholas says that in the UK, if you were ginger, you got picked on a lot. I don't really remember ginger kids being picked on here.
Speaker 4: I only really remember one.
Speaker 1: I think they call them like a minger or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, horrific, which is pretty much short age person as far as I can tell. I remember one redhead from my school and growing up. Oh yeah, and yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure that their redheaded status was made fun of.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I was just a nice guy.
Speaker 4: It probably were. Yeah. It always struck me as kind of a weird thing to be poking fun at someone.
Speaker 1: For I always thought it was interesting that we called them redheads when their hair was orange. To me, I was always say, white, your hair's not red like the redhead. I'm like, but you're not read.
Speaker 4: It's more sort of copper colored or bronze colored or something like that. Yeah, I mean it's weird because I mean, I'm I'm like the Peanuts character Charlie Brown in many ways, you know, bawling no good at sport, and also have unrequired crushes on redhead girls. I always had crushes on redheads. When I was growing up.
Speaker 1: A brunette guy, always been brunettes. Throw a blonde at me, I'm like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, one's gonna kind of take or leave chats all the blondes out there. That goes half a demo bones like, don't worry, guys, we ain't gone for you. You were never in the rod. Yeah, but I think redheaded guys maybe had it a little harder. I think the other thing is that growing up in Australia, it's very much as I pointed out before, you know, you're kind of expected to look like JP. You you get out in the sun and it's like, oh yeah, you get a ten like you're a redhead, or you're pale like me, you get it. It's ah, it's people like you like you're like Linda Hamile at the start of that tea too.
Speaker 1: So the people like him. That's the president of what people think when they think of Australian. So it's like it's like Nikola goes to home, I'm married, No, I'm dating in Australia. They think it's going to be like you said, blonde, bombshell dude, you're bringing home Chris Hams. Yeah, I rock up and it's like, Ah, I thought you said it was Australian.
Speaker 4: You brought Noah Taylor shadows. So yeah, I mean I'm wondering if, if, and when that sort of it's weird. Yeah, like I said, with Australia, Yeah, you tend to think of that kind of stereotype. I mean, and certainly in my childhood here and teenage here, because yeah, when we went out in the sun, we weren't putting on sunscreen. We were putting on suntan lotion. We're putting on we were rubbing oil into our bodies to get more sun on us. We had fun doing it. I'm doing it. So I'm trying to remember if there were that many redheads around, and yeah, they weren't that many. And I don't think we're going ah ginger. Yeah, and we certainly were going you had no soul or anything like that.
Speaker 1: They also acknowledging the commentary that they wanted to make sure they did some research and there was some truth behind the theory of the genetics and whatnot. There wasn't just some outlandish South Park story which you can actually buy into it. Both ways, they explaining this and it's just like this comes across like just something South Park, which just make up, but it's actually kind of true.
Speaker 4: The recessive genes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because I learned this when we got our ginger cat. And apparently all cats start ginger and if they are missing a certain gene or something, then they hair doesn't change colors. Apparently all cats are ginger when they're first created. I could be wrong. This is what the pound told me. She's like, all cats are ginger until they're not. So if they if they're ginger, that means they didn't get and that's why ginger cats are. They say ginger cats are stupid because they don't have the extra chromosome or whatever that makes they're stupid. That's apparently a thing I didn't realize this. Look, apparently we're all we're all girls until we go a dick or something.
Speaker 4: Apparently, so yeah, we're we're all start off as we all start as female in the womb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like ginger cats. Decades long mystery of ginger cats revealed. Okay, Garfield, Puss and Boots, aristocrats, cultural icons, maybe ginger most certainly and our scientists across two continents have uncovered the DNA mysteries that has given our fairy friends, particular males, their notable color.
Speaker 4: Shout out to this science reporter just trying to cultural really come up with like an interesting look to this very bland science story, and it's like, okay, what are ginger cats? A people like Puss in boots?
Speaker 1: Definitely Garfield, but he says, yeah, they discovered that ginger cats are missing a section of their genetic code, which means the sales responsible for their skin iron fur tone produced lighter colors. The breakthrough has brought delight to the scientists but also thousands of cat lovers that originally crowd funded the research.
Speaker 4: Was like, we need to know, this is vital informations.
Speaker 1: Government's like, we ain't funding this.
Speaker 4: Did you see on Twitter? You realize the planet's on fire? Yes?
Speaker 1: But the thing is so maybe I was maybe they're not old born ginger but that's why, because they're missing something and then they can't produce darker colors, which is why they ginger.
Speaker 4: I get the villain. This was probably, you know, pretty bad press for human gingers this episode. Oh yes, I get the feeling this may have done more harm than good.
Speaker 1: I'd be interested to see or to hear someone who's ginger who got red hairs thoughts on this episode and whether they felt attacked or not, because they never really said they portray him terribly and any reason in the end they don't. They try to get the message at the end, like the companies his song, but the song. The thing is, the song is done as a way for him to get out of trouble. It's not really like anyone's really learning the listen. I guess they kind of stand discussing it on the way over, like maybe we've been a bit mean to the ginger kids, we shouldn't really do that, blah blah blah blah. I guess they kind of put that there, but I just don't think it was really hammingd home enough.
Speaker 4: Oh no, No, they were the butt of the joke. Yeah, kids are terrible, and I'll always find ways to sort of, yeah, bully someone or at least divert bullying away from themselves. So if you can find some sort of marginalized group to poke fun at and yeah, as I said, the intention away from you, then you'll do it. And if it's ginger kids and it's ginger.
Speaker 1: Kids, do you have any favorite moments from the episode.
Speaker 4: Ah, I did like Cartman's report. I love how he sort of said we've all seen him on the street. It's like, yeah, he's back on Action News or whatever. But also his reactions whenever you know he's doing slide you know it's some and it's some stock photo of a ginger kit. Yeah, nasty. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it was like, oh ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they were really good. The I forgot the name of the parents of.
Speaker 1: Her parents in my bit where it's just like they're all just.
Speaker 4: On the red handed raskers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now got three of them.
Speaker 4: He comes up with that dreadful advice, you don't want ginger kids married Asian.
Speaker 1: Now, do you know what that's a reference to? What is it? Trey Parker. So, so when Stanley Kyle living in the Folly family's house, which is mister Foley the guy, he tells him to marry an Asian woman to avoid having ginger children. He says, I know a guy who's marrying a Japanese woman very soon for just that reason, to avoid it. This is an inside joke referred to Trey Parker, who at the time was engaged to a Japanese woman and he has apparently he has said I've read this somewhere. He has said that he found out that a woman he was dating had the Ginger genetic code in her past and he broke up with her. One of the reasons was because of that.
Speaker 4: But he said that publicly tray that man could be just.
Speaker 1: Like someone making it up because people to say shit as you say. But I read that, I was like, I wouldn't say that out loud. No, you certainly wouldn't. God, Trey, We've been pulling for you this whole time. But yeah, so that's that's what that was a reference to anyway. But also the day Walker. Oh yeah, that's from Blade. That's from Blade. As the day Walker, he can he don't get attacked by the sun. Correct, he's a vampire and a son something else joined was tight here. Yeah. Parker once said he had a girlfriend whose mother had red hair, and he ended the relationship to avoid having red headed children, and even admitted to harboring what he described as racial prejudice against Gingers. When did this.
Speaker 4: Episode there because this is just yeah, them being Shitstirs two thousand and five. They're a little bit beyond their early sort of young Turk stage interesting.
Speaker 1: But ginger people though, mustn't like this episode. I just discovered an entire section on the wiki page I'll just talking to You that I didn't realize was there. So the ginger kids. This episode supposedly inspired I've Never heard of this the infamous national Kicker Ginger Day event, of which three incidents involving the event and the episode gained notoriety. The event started out as a Facebook group or event in two thousand and eight with a target date of November twentieth, and attracted members from Canada and the United States, eventually extending as far as the United Kingdom and Ireland. In line with the starting date, the first incidents of Kicking Ginger Day took place on the same date in the same year across Canada and the United States. Several students were hair were assaulted by students. A police spokesman for the Royal Canadian Mountain Police and incident as a subitious hate crime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, if you're targeting someone for a particular reason, that's a hate crime.
Speaker 1: And twenty ten, YouTuber Michael Control, also known as Copper Cab, uploaded a video referring to the episode title Gingers Do have Souls that went viral. South Park later parodied the video in their promotion for season fourteen. A second kick of Ginger Day incident happened in twenty thirteen at Wingfield Academy in Yorkshire, where redheaded students faced discrimination based on their hair colored. Parents of the discriminated students launched a Facebook group protesting the offending students in an attempt to end their bullying. Many parents were enraged by the incident, resulting in some of them fetching their children during the school hours out of fear of them being potential targets for assault. School staff strongly reprimanded the offending students. A school spokesperson declared the incident's deplorable acts said that the entire institution was warn that students who continued to perform such a discrimination based on the episode would also be punished. The third incident happened in Massachusetts in twenty fifteen, where students with red hair also suffered the same fate, with some injured and bleeding. Disciplinary disciplinary hearings and tolerance seminars were conducted. Singer ed Sheering claims in a joke in joke form. The episode was the start of noticeable discrimination against redhead headed people in America, despite people with ginger hair being made fun of for decades prior to this. Wow, So.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I chogked this up as an l for Parker and this ain't great basically, cartmen, they're not going out there but tacitly inciting, viable.
Speaker 1: But that's that's the thing. As we're touching on earlier, they don't make it obvious enough in the episode that this shouldn't be happening. You shouldn't be treating gingers this way. Carman only did it because he didn't want to get passed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get the feeling that there's me playing devil's advocate for Parker and Stone in this regard is like they viewed it as so ridiculous. Yeah that look, no one's going to take this and run with it. Can you really blame Parker and Stone for this happening? I don't think they're entirely blameless.
Speaker 1: But they made it. They made it hating on gingers funny, I guess yes. And we've got park on the Stone also, and they'd be well aware of this. They have sway over that they're one of the biggest pop culture ar You've got.
Speaker 4: So many people on social media and traditional media saying we're at where we're at now because of Parker and Stone sort of what aboudism. Yeah, they made it cool to be sort of apathetic or you know, oh no, we've got to see both sides. Well that's you know, that leads to you know who in the White House or whatever. I'm not sure I necessarily believe that, but yeah, you've got a lot of people who do think that.
Speaker 1: So any other moments for you before we get to trivia.
Speaker 4: Look, I enjoyed that they actually did a protest of the anti musical and then ripped the wig off the young complaining it there she is dinner. They really went to town on it. Yeah, just god, just kicking the ship out of it. Thought that was pretty funny. And as I mentioned before, you just said they should all die fifteen seconds ago. Very funny.
Speaker 1: I mentioned the post so when they first did the news report on the new groups, like.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 2: Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: My first tribute question for you. I didn't mention it in my favorite Moments, but it could have been. It would have spoiled it is. What is the name of the guy who interrupts the meetings?
Speaker 4: It's Gary Nelson.
Speaker 1: He's the I thought I had Nolan, Sorry Nelson, is it okay? I thought it was Nelson. Gary anyway, certainly Gary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the rep from the Hilton guest relations.
Speaker 1: What a good guy, just does his job.
Speaker 4: Well you didn't he lava anyway? You will laugh. Hey, guys, thanks for choosing Hilton. I just love the cars, just like, thank you alone. Oh no, I could have it could have been Gary Nolan or Gary Nelson either way. That's just the perfect name for like an HR guide at a mid range hotel. Yeah, the guy you know running customer relations at the Novtael down on the waterfront here in Gelong with the Sherrat and whatever it is now, like, hey, Gary Nelson from guess Relations everything around, got a thing. Hey, look just give me call.
Speaker 1: You anything, yea.
Speaker 4: And then then he just goes yes, leaves. Yeah, good on him. Yeah, but the name.
Speaker 1: Is perfect, Yeah, Gary Nolan Nelson whatever, Yeah, perfect, Thanks Harry. Yes, I you've spot one of my other questions. It was airport Hilton, but it was what room was it? Oh?
Speaker 4: I didn't get them.
Speaker 1: That was the sunset room. Yeah, oh, the sunset room at the I've done. I've done two questions. You give me two, okay.
Speaker 4: Well in that case, well, it's hard to get away from the airport Hilton because in the first one, the first meeting.
Speaker 1: High or something.
Speaker 4: What else was there?
Speaker 1: I knew I should have written it down. I didn't.
Speaker 4: There was also a conference for Huxley Automotive. Yes, I've forgotten the second one though, so I did.
Speaker 1: I did write that one in my notes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I have one other question for you, because I had. His name was Harry whatever it was. There's a paint Yeah, yeah, there's a painting on the wall in Carton's bathroom. What's it of?
Speaker 1: Oh um, I have no idea. It's a sad clown. Sad clown. Cartmen has a home save his little flags. Oh yeah, Cartman has one of those in his bedroom on his wall. Do you know what was written on there?
Speaker 4: No? What was it?
Speaker 1: Cartman? Of course he does.
Speaker 3: I love cheesypoofs.
Speaker 1: You love cheesypoofs.
Speaker 4: Weed didn't cheesypoofs.
Speaker 1: Sweet be there's now top of some cheesyproof shadow Starne with the incredible Katie g. You think it's much for your hundred dolls of port, Katie, You're absolute champion. Also, we've got Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shannimacker, Elliott j O'Neill, Isabella Murphy, Rage Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn d v Pete Anderson, Timothy Bells, and Andrew Davis, Kevin Dazel, planned Flood, Bellow in the back, Jack Meete, Fadden, Agia McLeod, Martre, Levan Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, t Leia and Riquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Sheppard, Joe Ridden Said, Dave Pretzels, Mick now there, Gavin named, Dami Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharpcater and Craig Alti smash Gloucester. Alright, alright, Craig ALTI smash you.
Speaker 4: If you must have a nickname, it's pretty good one to.
Speaker 1: Have, indeed. All right, So the original edit of this episode, mister Davis what.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, November ninth, two thousand and five. In the top three films at Box Officer, I reckon, Why I still be Avatar? What do you reckon?
Speaker 4: H yeah, I think Avatar is probably gonna be holding on.
Speaker 1: How was Avatar up to one? Four months? At least weeks? Right, I'd say weeks? Yeah, it was by two thousand and five. What was the longest number one film of all time? Can you it was?
Speaker 4: It was probably boy Jim Cameron's Titanic?
Speaker 1: Titanic? Yeah, Titanic was big, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like apparently Titanic stayed in cinemas for like eighteen months.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, a different time.
Speaker 4: One might say a bitter time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't. I would agree with you. So number one was oh have a time, mustn't ever time must be the SIMS episode because it's twenty ten and five. Yes, Number three was Sore Down for number one, saw two down one. Number two was jar Head, oh yeah, and number one.
Speaker 4: Was Chicken Little.
Speaker 1: Oh, Chicken Little was number one at the box office. I've never watched Chicken I always looked at it and going, I have no interest in watching this.
Speaker 4: I remember hating it, okay, yeah, Chicken Little, Yeah, because I was reviewing at the time and had to go see everything, and it's like, yeah, Chicken Little sucked. It's terrible. It was voiced by Zach Braff. Oh yes, star of Scrubs and now upcoming Scrubs rebootes, which I don't think i'm going to watch. I feel i've missed a window for the Scrubs reboot. I think they have. I think they had a trailer for it, and it was I don't know if they were being sort of like deliberately, hey we're playing the hits, but you know, they sort of dragged out, Hey it's john C McGinley, and hey it's Judy Rays and she was the thing. I remember he used to call him Bambi and you know, and this is the way Johnny C would sort of say particular lines, Okay, yeah, you're just doing this to Are you doing this because oh that's feelings or it's because like, oh yeah, we know that we're going through the motions. I don't know either way, I didn't I really liked Scrubs back in the day. I don't think I'm going to enjoy it as much now.
Speaker 1: Scrubs is one of those shows I would have been high school mid to year nine ish was when it was really at its peak. I think like for scrub scores, like two thousand and one when it started about then, I think so yeah. I remember like being like year like ten eleven, twelve, and everyone's talking about like scrubs are so funny, dada YadA. But then it just sort of disappeared, like it felt like it was a everyone's talking about Scrubs for like a while, and even just nobody.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say it was a flash in the pan, but it was kind of like it had it had its run, it's done, and you'll occasionally go oy that was that wasn't too bad, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I haven't revisited for a long time.
Speaker 4: I don't necessarily feel bad for Zach Braff, but again, the feeling is kind of like people like ragging on him for some reason. You're like, I don't know, it was a while, there, wasn't it. Yeah, you made that movie Garden State, which everyone kind of like, that's so no it Netlie Portman, Who's what I We've discussed this on the podcast before. I've never seen Garden Stage Car and let me tell you, yeah yeah, but I remember seeing the poster for that movie and like the video the video store, and I always thought it was Debora Messing because she's like screaming, isn't she crying on the And for some reason, I always thought it was Deborah Messing from Willing Grace obviously, but I was put me in and never you told me. I was like, Oh shit, is.
Speaker 1: Not watching different Messing in a movie. That's one of the reasons why I never bothered to watch it. Yeah, but it's not worth watching.
Speaker 4: I think it's actually not that bad. It's very sort of that he directed or she did. Yeah, if he wrote and directed it, it's actually pretty well done. But it's very sort of this is the ultimate millennial movie. That's kind of like, uh, the music choices are very pandering. It's like, oh, we can see who you're really influenced by and all that kind of stuff. Feel I think it was his first movie, and it feels very first movie, and people are just not being very generous towards it.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not bad. I'll check it out. But this episode kicks off though, with Token giving his report on the Solar system. Now talk about dated. Pluto no longer a planet apparently, so although it makes me pleas we'll go back and forth. Plute's always going to be a planet to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Likewise, I just decide and that's not a planet anymore. But I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Also, who's determined? Is it NASA? Because I mean NASA is only the North American Space Agency? So is alliot talk?
Speaker 1: Now there's only eight planets? Is that the go?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: What's the go? I'll ask elling it? Yeah? What is Pluto?
Speaker 4: As also asked Cary pronouncer uranus? Whether it's uranus or urinus or uranus?
Speaker 1: Yes. Going Down to South Park is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive South Park reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of four Finger Discount, How's the Futurama, Bobby's Pop, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seinfeld, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com Slash four figure discout. But then he calls mister Gabson called missus. Gabson calls up cartmen and he says, ginger kids, children of light skin, red hair and freckles, that's what it's called. He shows various pictures of kids with red hair. They're all gross.
Speaker 4: They creep us out and make us feel sick to ourstemic.
Speaker 1: Yes, and again I touched it on last week's episode. Cart they're really leaning into that kind of the way he expresses himself. Now is this everything's like this like a conspiracy theorist of everything the way it sounds. But they suffer from ginger vitis and it occurs when because ginger kids have no soul apparently, and Kyle starting to get annoyed by this because Kyle has red hair and Parker's stone. We're like, okay, well, we've already established Kyle has red hair. How can we differentiate him from the ginger kids that we wanted to make fun of in this episode, And that's what we said the day Walker, which I watched this going guy will appreciate this blade reference.
Speaker 4: But also I liked how Karma's not disputing hate exactually like trying to bring logic into It's.
Speaker 1: Like it spewing facts.
Speaker 4: No one like vampires, And it was like, oh, oh, wait a minute, yea, I see the connection.
Speaker 1: And they straight away they'll explain at Kyle's the day Walk he can actually go outside in the sun. And then he asks Cartman asked for the Garrison or missus Garrison to tell Kyle to stop it, and he says, well you can. He's like, I'm not going to stop it because this is a hate speech, and he says, look, you can use your paper tomorrow to counteract and debate with Cartman. I'd hear that. He goes people are crept out by redheads and Claus's like, I am yeah, but this is what Cartman explains that the ginger jeene is a curse and says that you know, you need to admit themselves that they're vile and they're disgusting. So now after class, Kyle is telling Stan this this can all lead to some serious trouble yourself. Spratt and allays kind of shot out there. People start genuinely hating ginger people and he needs to disprove it. And he asks stand if he knows any ginger kids, and it's just the Foley family. So he goes to see the Holey family. And what's funny is I'm watching this and I'm like, relitialy had a kid whose last time was Folly at school, who was the redhead of the year. Level as Folly luck links to redheads, I don't know if it was just a weird thing. He goes to the house to interview the parents about the having ginger kids.
Speaker 2: We came to learn the facts about people with red hair, light skin.
Speaker 4: And freckles.
Speaker 1: Oh gingers.
Speaker 4: Yes, our cute little red haired rascals.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, but I don't understand.
Speaker 4: You both have dark hair and brown eyes. Yes, we've learned that the ginger jeene is recessive in both our families. DNA. Actually, the odds of us having a red haired, freckled child were only one in four and still it happened three times. What are the odds? A lot of people carry the ginger jean and don't know. If your spouse is also a carrier, then your children can turn out like them. Each one of them is a blessing. Oh yes, each one of them's a blessing, blessed blessing.
Speaker 2: For the lab.
Speaker 1: As cruel as it was, it was hilarious, just their way of trying to hide their shame, because you could say their disappointment.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's a feature or a bug of this episode that they present the redhead kids as like little sort of scary monsters, like yeah, out of Salem's Lot or Village of the Damned or something like that. A little later on there of the Corn. Yeah, when they're well, yeah, one of the main villains in Children of the Corn is the red head.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like whether everyone in town is like aware of like, oh, no, they actually are monsters or if this this Dad's just like I have wanted blonde blue a children that I've got three red heads, all who seem perfectly nice. They seem like great kids, and he's like, no, one are the odds one of the three of them.
Speaker 1: This is where they have the dad explain the whole because when it's coming from Cartman, you're not believing it, But when it's from the parents of the child, it's like, no, they're having We both have the ginger genetic code in our family and we've passed it down even though we've got brown hair. Because sometimes I would find that odd. I'll be going, hell, why is that kid a school got red hair but his mum and dad aren't red heads? It doesn't make any sense to me. But yeah, it's obviously someone in the family has got red head. Drinking Network explains why why Prince Harry's got red hair? Drenk dad explains.
Speaker 4: That that's true. Yeah, oh, for goodness knows how long. I mean, was it James Hewson or James Houston or whatever who was like the one the Princess Dies Buddies or something, Why that looks like Prince Harry. Yeah. Yeah. But then you look at you know, the late Princess Dies brother, Charles Spencer, and he kind of I think he looks a little gingerish as well. But Nichol used to always deny it, right because she's like, she love the Royal family, and I'm like, look at this picture here.
Speaker 1: She looked at it.
Speaker 4: She went, yeah, but you look at you look at It's not just the hair, it's also Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I wonder if.
Speaker 4: There was a whole bunch of shit sort of going on in the Royal family where it was like, Harry, I love you, you know you're not one of them, and he was the sort of sideline even suddenly or whatever, and that's what made him go, fine, I'm going to marry that chick from suits and I'm gonna I'm gonna move to California, get a I was listening to some podcasts the other day, and so it's really ironic because he was. He was like the one who was really good at being a prince. He was like a good ambassador to the royal family. Who doesn't like Harry? I mean, before all this stuff, I mean, he was generally regarded as like he was like the cool one. I mean, not not well.
Speaker 1: He even seems like a guy that you didn't couldn't trust, couldn't tallenge it because on you that's what he seemed like to me.
Speaker 4: Well, he seemed like the traditional sort of older brother first, and I was like, well, it's my turn to now take over the family business. I can't do anything wrong. But also I'm the golden buy the book. You look at young Williams, like, that's a good looking kid. He looking now, I was like, but Harry kind of seemed like, oh, he had his causes and all that. You know, he generally seemed like, oh, I'm here to present this or whatever, and oh, you're doing really well with that. He was really good at being a prince and now he's not. Now he's just some guy a prince anymore. No, that's what I mean. And it's like, so, what are you going to do? Are he surely they didn't cut him off financially did they I don't know. Yeah, who knows anyway? Why they going to get like a Netflix show or something they well, yeah, apparently all their ideas were terrible. Did you ever watch Megan Markles Netflix show.
Speaker 1: I didn't know it even came out.
Speaker 4: It's called With Love from Megan or something, and it's basically like a Martha Stewart's kind of he's home decorating and here's some food. Lou I like watched one episode when I was like, the fuck is this? It was so bad? Really? What I mean? I don't mind those shows on occasions like oh, that's a.
Speaker 1: Handy tip Better Homes and Gardens that I loved that seven thirty on a Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, get some good tips for a game into the weekend.
Speaker 1: What was the was the theme song for Better Homes and Gardens? Wasn't it Our House?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 1: No? Which show had in the middle of Our Street?
Speaker 4: House?
Speaker 1: Which? Which which show used that as its theme? Hmmm? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: It was a block actually called actually better Homes and Guards.
Speaker 4: You know what? They had getting so much better all the time?
Speaker 1: That was their theme. Yeah, I'm sure the people.
Speaker 4: Who enjoy South Park are really enjoying this part of it. We now return you to ginger kids already improv.
Speaker 1: This is where Kyle says that, well, surely you know it's not true that these kids have no souls. No, of course they do. And he tells them that the doors are about to leave to as we said that discussing only Marion Asian because they don't carry the recessive gene. And this is yeah, you know someone that's marrying a Japanese one for that reason. And that was a reference to Trey Parker apparently, and I was like, oh, boy, ship, we're out of school. And Kyle explains that it's genetic and it's not a lack of soul, and Cartlin's like, whatever you say, Kyle, and Garrison says, I love this. Well, I can't a little dry and science for my team's been.
Speaker 4: But then yeah, Cartman just goes into full rebel rousing mode. You realize that he's picked up on that. I think, like, people aren't interested in the You can you can give us facts and figures all day long, but yeah, what's going.
Speaker 1: To be more aptus?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's more effective is is going to get.
Speaker 1: You're going to get you.
Speaker 4: And I love that pays off later. But the thing is, I like here too.
Speaker 1: Before they go to recess, he says, Clyde's going to be doing his after recess, and what was his paper about? Can you remember? Oh no, Well, lesbian.
Speaker 4: Cheerleaders love Clyde Loki freak.
Speaker 1: Isn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like the baby they'd.
Speaker 1: Be a good pair. But I just love that telling the kids that Kyle the day Walker, and he says things like, you know, just kill Jesus. But what I know, I under see what everyone's thinking. Under see what everyone's thinking. Where did we go? It was the fucking pop culture convention, wasn't it. We're walking in the guys like, I'm just saying what everyone thinks. Is that what he's saying?
Speaker 4: I think, oh that's right when we went that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a guy in the car park. He was just saying racist ship. But what did it was?
Speaker 4: I don't know if we actually heard him say anything particularly raised, but he really won't, but we definitely heard him say I'm just I'm just saying what everybody's thinking.
Speaker 1: I'm just I tell you how it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all have people who tell it like it is. Yes, that's it yes, and the Gingers.
Speaker 1: Are gonna catch up, and then the again because their kids are like well ship and the kids then kick the Ginger kids out from the cafeteria because they're starting to be influenced by Cartman's hate. Here and Kyle says, this is what happens when Cartman's right, when Cartman's write to free speech is allowed, and Standing wishes Cartman knew what it was like to be ginger. So Kyle gets an idea. Just the meet at his house tonight. So Cartman is sleeping, Kyle gets a chance to knock him out good and proper, keeps hitting him and then they dye his hair and bleach him. We must talk about Cartman's design. I'm mentioned in the in the Patregon group. He designs a ginger was fucking hilenious. Yea, holy Christ, it was that funny, just the.
Speaker 4: Haircut, just that bowl guts and oh my god, it was so funny.
Speaker 1: So he wakes up in his ginger screams, his MoMA screams are taking to the doctor. He's now suffering from ginger bis. And then she said it other doctors must have stayed dormant until adolescence and he tells Leanne, my mom loves me. There is no cure. You may as well put him down. My mom loves me no matter what to look like, right mom, And he says that son is going to be his worst enemy. Now I wren't here. When he arrives at the bus stop, how cool, he tries to play it like you can imagine Cartman a character he's going into, going how do I approach this? I know I look like a dickhead now after everything else said, I'll just play it off like nothing's wrong, Rock up with my umbrella. And then he almost tries. It's almost like he is trying to put it back on them. Is it to say do you have something? Yes? But they take great glee and they're like, oh, it's pretty ironic. Is He's like, no, anything gets on the bus? And I think it was important they had the character of Butters be the one to laugh at him, because Butter's is always the not in the butt of the jokes, but Cartman's jokes correct and he thinks it's hilarious that Cartman is a ginger now as well. The boys then tell Carmen that he has to leave the cafeteria and but it's me. I'm still mean signs where they're thinking that. Cartman's starting to realize, Oh, it's not what's that's on the count's what's on the inside the counts Carl. Thanks, you know we've taught him a lesson here. Now you have a good, hard, long think about how he's been behaving to watch Ginger people cut to him. He's called a meeting of the Gingers in the library. He's sick of being discriminated against. My dad says, each one of my freakers is.
Speaker 4: A kiss from an agel.
Speaker 1: Cartman thinks that any he says, can we think of any great Ginger people? Your man man Ron Howard? It indeed, I love the money. Yes, who else? Ron Howard? And then they need to let everyone know that they're not inferior. There's time to take back their pride.
Speaker 4: How right, how right?
Speaker 3: Time, right power, We can get our prid people. We are another descendant of great Americans like Ron Holen, and we will not being discriminated against any er. But we are a great rate.
Speaker 4: Right when.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it, should we tell him the truth?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I let him make a complete ass of himself for a little while Longer, better Aday, better ring.
Speaker 4: Day, better Day.
Speaker 1: Then the Ginger separatist movement has begun. It's a new story about it, and they're all outraged at the is it the premiere episode or the premiere show of any opening of Annie who was being played by a girl who was not Ginger. She's wearing a wig and makeup to appear Ginger and they are furious about this.
Speaker 4: So what do they do? They kick the crap, kick the shit out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is get her and says the first man is going to be at the Hilton. So Cat Elvin walks in, Can I get a red power?
Speaker 4: Like I said, he's just really good at yeah, leading groups. Yeah, he could use this power for good, but no, he's just sort of hooked on the hooked on evil.
Speaker 1: I do. This is where I had in my note, so that it kind of feels like we've done this before a couple of times. But he says, we have to fight hate with hate, and the Gingers are the chosen race.
Speaker 4: Well here's the thing. I mean. It could also be sort of Parker and Stones or Parker's uh sort of escape patch, Like we've done this before and you saw how ridiculous was when Cartman was a Nazi. I mean, this is on the nose and this has got to be eagerly ridiculous, right that he's, you know, for one of a be able to ginning up all this hatred against redheads.
Speaker 1: And how easy people are swayed. Yes, but yes, so he says the chosen race and the low life, low life, dark skinned rats they are. And I was like they wanted to sneak that line in somewhere. Yeah, the low life, dark skin rats. But then Gary Nelson or Gary I've got Gary Nelson here, you're right, Gary Nelson. Yeah, he arrives from guest relations, and it's just like the exterminating an entire race of people. Can I get you anything? You see anything?
Speaker 4: We're fine, thank you.
Speaker 1: So you gotta think, though, they've got to be like these places like the Hilton and whatnot who are hosting meetings for like the n r A or these kind of groups, And you think do they just not take the booking or do they take that cash? And an you think, do I want to interrupt meeting? Like there must be someone who's like Gary Nels. Gary Nelson's of the world must have to deal with this kind of back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're just like, we're not endorsing this. Yeah, all right, we're just you know, but you know, did any competent it's in the States, it'd be like, well, you know, the First Amendment, everyone's got the right free speech. So we're just providing them with a venue, and what they say is up to them.
Speaker 1: He said, it's time to exterminate every kid who isn't a Ginger and they won't live their life as a minority anymore. But then Kyle wakes up Stan and say they're going to change him back. Now stand amidst that, you know, yet as they're walking back to middle of the night, they're walking back to Cartman's house, are going to fix him up? And as where stand, this is, I guess is the kind of their way of saying, Look, you shouldn't treat gingers as way. So even I have my own prejudice against Gingers. I mean, Carmen, even have you thinking that Gingers we're like gonna get us in the middle of the night. I was like, oh shit, it's gonna happen. And they cut and there's something about silence, Oh like someone just looking at you. I would rather someone say I'm coming to get you than just looking at me. Oh god, Yeah, terrifying, something like the blas like the mentality of just walking towards Jesson Wall, just walking towards not saying anything. Yeah, what what do you want?
Speaker 4: What do you want?
Speaker 1: Nothing? Just soulless.
Speaker 4: Just the spookier shit in Halloween is you know, Michael mar just staring at you from various places, like, oh my god, what's going on? Yeah? How many times I told the story about being a young man in the kid when I was England, kid looking at me through the window. I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: But it wasn't you said there's a kid in the garden once lived next door or something. You had like a bed and breakfast or something, and there was a kid who was like you're like in the bushes playing or something.
Speaker 4: It was like a kid who like, that's that story you used to say.
Speaker 1: It's from the window. I thought you.
Speaker 4: I thought he saw you. No, No, no, he was inside. I was playing outside.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought he was outside as well. Are you running away from him?
Speaker 4: No? No?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, just the idea of someone is staring at you. Yeah, these ginger kids, obviously it would you call this like a zombie parody here.
Speaker 4: More just like creepy kids movie, and there's a there's a long and story condition of it.
Speaker 1: I mean the top three you mentioned before. So we mentioned Village of the Dance, which was we know that was a simple there's been Oh your secret to you?
Speaker 4: You're the one who's been sneaking puddings. Oh god, damn, I got me. Yeah. Village of the Damned and it's sequel, Children of the Damned, is certainly one. I was reminded Salem's Lot a bit. You know, particularly have you ever seen the original TV one from the nineteen seventies, you would remember the image of like there's a little vampire kids sort of floating outside the window and he's got parody that yeah, vampire face, and it was scraping at the window.
Speaker 1: Terrifying, Yeah, terrifying. I never saw Children of the Corn, but it was one of those ones at the video store. I was like, when I'm growing up, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Watch this movie. It's a cool, cool fucking titled Children of the Corn. It is and is big one of these.
Speaker 1: It's a sickle sithe, Yeah, the sithe that was on the front cover, like this looks bad ass, so bad in the corn. But yeah, so that's a parody more of those you reckon, I reckon. Yeah. I was getting almost like thriller vibes, you know, when the zombies are walking towards and the guests to the house and whatnot. But they they get the boys, they go to a barn. So look, I guess is that barn a reference to anything, because like the kids, I go into a barn, not that I recall. Okay, yeah, but Kenny gets snatched, of course, so we never see Kenny for this of the episode, and all the various kids get kidnaped from their beds and stuff. The Ginger kids break into the barn and they take those as while they swarm them. When out the airport, Hilton bre Insurance Group and the exterminate all non Ginger's conference is there as well, and the kids wake up standing calm, and they're in cages with lava and shit, and I was getting Indiana Jones Temple of Doo vibes with the lava pit and they're going to kill them all, but Garian drops again it need lava, have about lava.
Speaker 4: You guys got everything you need in here. Need more coffee buffet items. Now we're fine, thank you. How about lava? You got enough lava? Yes, we're good. Okay, Hey, thanks for choosing the report Hilton guys. By the way, a quick We're giving Gary Nelson a lot of props in this episode. I was wondering, why's his name for Meli because it just feels so sort of like business card, middle manager kind of thing. Gary Nelson, actually an American film and TV director, directed the original Freaky Friday. Oh and for here, No, no, no, I'm talking about the original yeah, way back in the day with Jodie Foster. And also four Finger discant favorite The black Hole?
Speaker 1: Oh your favorite?
Speaker 4: Yeah man, with Maximilian the Killer Robot.
Speaker 1: Share the Gary Nelson, Yeah man, how do you not know that?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I'm pretty sure that's the name of the guy directed The black Hole.
Speaker 1: Let's have a look, And it was The black Hole is like your movie of your childhood, right.
Speaker 4: One of them?
Speaker 1: Certainly? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Saw it with Bobby.
Speaker 1: Is it on the streaming services on Disney?
Speaker 4: I would probably be if it's If it's anywhere, it's on Disney plas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I was gonna get the kids to watch it. The kids enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Now they might find it a bit slow and honestly a bit creepy. Yeah, actually I'd wait a couple because I mean I saw it when I was like ten. There was a bit and that it was like what the Disney their minds back then? Oh yeah, yeah, should we still be for kids? How do I reach these kids? Turns out with ultra violets, not ultravirs. But there's certainly a bit in the black hole. It's like, I mean, stuck with me this day. I've seen I've seen Alien around that time, but this is around the time of Alien. I was like, everyone's going on about the chest person. This bit's kind of weird and not weirding me a bit, giving me the even more. Yeah, like, oh, good stuff, well done, Gary Nelson. Kids movies were made to scare kids back then. Well made it.
Speaker 1: Tough stuff. But they say, let the extermination begin, and they start with the day Walker Kyle. But he says, look, I'm going to tell you something. You need to hear it in private. He says, last words, fine, tell me hurry up, and then then we shall kill every non ginger kid here, which was in his ear. You see the face to change. Oh yeah, so we're gonna go through the plan, then gives a big fake speech, big rab.
Speaker 4: You know what living together aboud? You guess.
Speaker 1: I just realized that, realize something. We catches people what they look like? You just said we should seconds ago. And then again though, I think what that kid in the green, I'd say, and reminded.
Speaker 4: Me of how about him? What about this guy? What about this guy?
Speaker 1: But he sings the song hand in hand we lived together there, ginger or nuh, it's all the same, just.
Speaker 4: Just kicks off before we all learned it just bits a giller.
Speaker 1: I thought, I feel like this would be the perfect kind of role he never do in real life. But and anywhere anywhere you could pull off this scene whereas yeah, you know what, kids, anyone could do that. But the Kyle then calls him a manipulatives always like yes, but I'm not going to die. Also, he saved your life as well, Kyle, And that is the end of the episode, as they sing the song over the closing credits. Ginger kids, Yeah, enjoyable episode. It feels like it felt a little bit repetitive, But I enjoyed it for what it was. But it is very mad spirited towards ginger people.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think it had some unintended consequences.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which weren't funny. We shouldn't love of course, But again that's not entirely parking Stone's fault. I mean, as as and Sharon points out, they weren't the first people to make fun of ginger people, right, so you can't just blame them, but they were probably would have been used as a scapegoat. And it's got some dickhead watched South Park and made a Facebook group and said, hey, ginger's that's that's the dickhead kid's fault. They have partial blame, but you can't entirely blame this episode for the fact that some people want to beat up ginger kids. They just used that as as an excuse to do it. They were always going to do it. They didn't get the idea for watching the episode, did they do?
Speaker 4: You think maybe they maybe got the idea, but the spark was always there. This was a little bit of accelerant for that spark. When this episode doesn't actually say go out and ginger people, but it is saying they are.
Speaker 1: And they will.
Speaker 4: They'll get you, and they'll get you coming to get you all right.
Speaker 1: So that is our review of Ginger Kids. The next episode, we've reached it. It's Trapped in the Closet.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah's a fantastic episode of going down to south Park.
Speaker 1: Also the forget to send in your questions. It is south Park Mailbag at gmail dot com. We want to hear from each and every single way of you. If you haven't sent in a question or a message, please do so and we'll answer your questions on the next mailback episode. For the next episode is going to be Trapped in the Closet. Lookout for that in your feeds. Misterid Everson you final words for those incredible listeners out there.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, we've just learned it's all best to get along.