Speaker 2: Justice.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. And it's roughly eighty days or so until the midterms. The election's coming up this fall in November. Perfect guest to talk about this. Where the polls stand, where Democrats stand. Are they in a better position than perhaps they were a couple of weeks ago?
Speaker 2: What about Donald Trump?
Speaker 1: Of course, our friend Larry Sabado, the director of the UVA Center of Politics.
Speaker 2: Is with us. And Larry great to see as always, Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 3: Always glad to be with you, Jim, one of our Center for Politics scholars at the University of Virginia. See it. That's a plug.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Does that mean I am still a scholar?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 3: That's your darn right you are until you're notified. You're not, so it can go on for a century.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll take it, you know what. It's something I'll put on the resume and have it there with pride.
Speaker 2: So appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I always love getting down to Charlottesville, and I will say the new center is terrific it congrats to you on that. But there's not a lot of congratulations going on, I suppose on the Republican side for Donald Trump. With these midterms coming up and the way these polls are shaping up, it's looking like a wipeout.
Speaker 2: I was just looking at some of the polling.
Speaker 1: I mean just this week, just the past week, an economist you gov poll found that Trump is at a thirty three percent approval rating. That is lower, I think, than just about anywhere he was during his first administration, and that is right around the area he was hovering after January sixth. This is devastating and I was pointing this out to another guest the other day. This is worse than where he was in twenty eighteen, and that was a disastrous bid term cycle.
Speaker 2: How do you see this shaping up?
Speaker 3: Larry, Well, as you know, things have changed since twenty eighteen, and the Republicans have run a successful ploy with redistricting that they won the game as far as that's concerned, not control of the House, but they have reduced inevitably whatever gains the Democrats have. In fact, when you look to see whatever the Democrats gain, add ten or twelve to it. That's what it would have been without the Republican redistricting. Let's not forget the Supreme Court's helpful decision about Section two of the Voting Rights Act. The two work in concert, the Republicans who run the States and the Republicans who run the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no question about it. They did soften the blow of these terms. But even despite that, we're seeing a lot of Senate seats in play that perhaps were not going to be in play. Obviously, the House is still looking like it's going to go to the Democrats. How are the folks at your crystal Ball. You guys put out that terrific crystal Ball forecast a lot of seats trending in the Democratic direction.
Speaker 3: Yes, it seems like every time we changed the ratings, the rating has become more favorable for Democrats. I would say at this point, you're looking at Democrats being somewhere in the two twenties. And if the more optimistic polls are correct, and we've all gotten lessons very recently Soda and Michigan not to believe in Wisconsin, not to believe necessarily what they report, But if they're indicating anything close to what is actually going to happen, then Democrats will have a good and possibly great night. The key is whether Democrats stick together if they actually take over one or both houses, can they do what the Republicans have done with the majority of next to nothing? And I hope they can. But you know, Democrats wouldn't be Democrats if they weren't fighting among themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and you mentioned a couple of things to that point.
Speaker 1: I mean, we saw the race in Wisconsin where a pretty far left I guess self described socialist was on the ballot at Francesca Hang. She was running for governor against Crowley, the more establishment choice. She lost, even though the polls had shown she was far ahead of Crowley. And here's the New York Times headline, how the polls got it so wrong in Wisconsin. And you know, not to go after a political scientist, Larry, because you're kind of a political scientist.
Speaker 2: But what the heck's going on with political scientists these days?
Speaker 3: Well, the one I know is doing very well. I hope you got that. Yeah, the one, the one I know, the one, ye see, I had to explain it to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 3: Through that in class. They don't laugh either, So I understand. Look, I would say the pollsters didn't necessarily get it as wrong as it looks on the surface in that primaries have always been tough to survey. Why is that because people say they're going to vote and they're not. They're not used to voting on whatever day it turns out to be. Second, of all, the vast majority of people who vote in a primary are indeed identifiers with that party. Now, open primaries like we've had recently are a little bit different, but not really. There aren't that many Republicans that vote in Democratic primaries and vice versa. And so the people who are, say Democrats voting in a Democratic primary, well that means they're looking at the candidates, all of whom are fellow Democrats. So it's much easier to switch from one to another to another based on whatever the headlines are that particular day, and they don't know much about many of these candidates. That's always true in primaries, which are used to introduce introduce candidates to voters. So I'm not willing to say that they were completely wrong or that they were terribly wrong, but they certainly exaggerated hongs total. They exaggerated El sai Ed's total in Michigan. They made the men Soda Senate race on the Democratic side look virtually tied when it turned out to be a landslide margin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you planning it.
Speaker 3: So, you know, there are lots of examples of this. I always tell people, read the polls and it's fun to do it, you know, then go to Calshi and waste your money and bet whatever you need to do, But don't take them seriously because they're not votes. Polls are not votes. Money is not a vote. You know. They're critical parts of the process, but don't take them so seriously.
Speaker 1: They're snapshots, and they can be a snapshot in time. I mean, you and I've witnessed this first, you know, firsthand, watching a lot of these races over the last what twenty, you know, thirty years. But I think something else could be going on in addition to the polling being off it. It may just be that Democrats that once they get you know, a full whiff of some of these candidates, as it gets close to election time, they change their mind and they you know, and I think in the case of Wisconsin, maybe the voters decided to make a more pragmatic choice.
Speaker 2: Maybe in Michigan, all of.
Speaker 1: That money that was dumped on behalf of Haley Stevens against Abdul al Sayed had a negative effect against Lsied.
Speaker 2: Do you think that could be.
Speaker 1: Part of it too, that there just were other dynamic forces at play and the Democratic Party just hasn't figured out which way they want to go here, and they're sort of doing this case by Kate. You know, in New York, of course it's going to be much more progressive in some cases socialists, but Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan not so much.
Speaker 3: Basically, I think a core of Democrats, big core, because of what Trump has done and because of their emotional reaction to him, and I would say even hatred for the vast majority. They want to pick a winner. They're trying to pick a winner. They're trying to be pragmatic, even if in fact they are more liberal than the candidate they're voting for. And of course that was done in twenty twenty. They picked Joe Biden. By no means was he anything close to the most liberal candidate up on the stage. But they knew they had to get rid of Donald Trump, if only they'd known what was coming. But still you have to work with what you've got. So that's a good thing that Democrats are being pragmatic. In the case of hom My God. In the last several weeks, she got negative headline after negative headline. That's where the polls hurt her, because the polls kind of gave a green light to the press and others to go hard after her. Even the ones who were for her, deep down they were going to vote for They said, well, she could still win. She's ahead by twenty points. No, not necessarily, and opposing Thanksgiving and Halloween and Valentine's Day, and I think National Potato Week was out on there.
Speaker 1: I think so as No, all I know is Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. You know, my mom makes a great Thanksgiving and it's a holiday dedicated to stuffing your face and watching football. What I mean, how could? It's the perfect holiday in my book? So, I mean it's sort of like being against my I'm America America and apple Pie, baseball and apple Pie. When you say that you have a problem, thanksg. I just some of these things got a little goofy.
Speaker 3: No, it is absolutely goofy. And yeah, I'm sure she regrets it. I bet if I went into your background when you were young, Jim, you did an outrageous things and what I hope you'll dedicate a show telling us what they are at some point.
Speaker 2: Please don't no, but it's true.
Speaker 1: And you know, an AOC said the other day woke one was crazy or something like that. So there's a little bit of recalibrating on the left that's going on right now in AOC who was very smart.
Speaker 2: It's good, yes, absolutely, but.
Speaker 1: Some of this, you know, is going to be tough to overcome, uh, you know, in the long run. But I think you're right that Democrats are being pragmatic in a lot of these races. And I do think the Senate is looking very interesting, Larry, because I mean, if you and I had a year ago had said, you know, I think Ohio might be in play.
Speaker 2: I think Iowa might be in play. I think Alaska might be in play.
Speaker 3: I think what might be in play. I think Kansas might be. We all get the same emails from people and tweets and so on. Now, look, a majority of the ones you just mentioned are not going to vote Democratic, but noos. But if you get a decent slice, you know, forty percent of them, that should be enough as long as they can hold Michigan and Maine. Who thought that would end up being the question at the beginning of this cycle. But you know, people do strange things in politics, and I think even with everything that's happened in Maine and Michigan, the Democrats still have a very decent chance of carrying one or both. So this could work out well for the Democrats. But they have to continue to work at it. They have to continue to do smart, pragmatic things, and Donald Trump and the Republicans have to continue to do really stupid things that upset people, that seem crazy and nutty. And you know what, I bet on that happening. That's what every day in the Trump era seems like a year. Yeah, not that, I mean, it's I can't get it all in my head, which is their theory of things. Just keep pumping out the horrible news day after day, ten times a day, ten corruptions, ten examples of greed a day, and then nobody can remember any of them.
Speaker 2: It's just a blur, that's right.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, it was a fire hose of lies during the first term. This term, I think it's the fire hose of corruption, and I think that the public is pretty nauseated by it. I think to some extent, yes, it is a blur. It's mind numbing for people. But Larry, I'm kind of wondering what you think, because I think the Democrats could run on corruption. I think they could run on Trump enriching himself off the presidency with crypto and everything else, and that these are salient issues. These are issues that people can understand. They can understand that they're paying a lot of money at the gas pump while he's, you know, laughing all the way to the bank.
Speaker 3: It's the perfect combination for Democrats, and I think they're going to use it because it doesn't make any sense not to use it. The combination is this is enriching this greedy, corrupt family and their friends at the very same time as Americans can't cough up the extra pennies. Oh that's right, they abolish the penny, extra nickels and dimes to pay for gas, to get the kind of bread they like. Really, the things people are going through and there's the conflict between these two images is so sharp and so nauseating. As you properly suggested that, I think it will have an impact. It ought to have a bigger impact than it is, but people are numb to it. God knows, if Nixon had had a tenth of this he would have been out. He still would have been out. It's what Nixon did was in a completely different realm, violating the law in people's civil liberties, which Trump is doing plenty of too. But the greed part of it, there was some of that with Nixon, with this, you know, the tax deduction for his vice presidential papers and that kind of thing. But Nixon really was almost not completely a choir boy compared to Donald Trump. There's no one ever who's been like him and his corrupt, greedy family.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean Nixon said, I'm not a crooked. Trump says, essentially he is a crook. But there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 3: Ye. That's right. You made your mistake and you're going to live with it.
Speaker 2: That's it exactly.
Speaker 1: And I do think the Iran war is deeply unpopular and he has apparently no ability to end this war. He thinks he can do it, you know, in a you know, by sending his son in law off to the Middle East. But his son in law goes off to the Middle East and then cuts his own side deals to try to buy an out Banian Island and all sorts of So, you know, good luck with that. And that shows to that seems to be a problem that can't be solved anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not going to be solved at all unless Trump is out of office and there's an honest attorney general and honest prosecutors federal and others across the country, and that will only happen with the Democratic president. Then you can do some things, but you can't reel in most things. They're done unless you want to tear down and maybe we should. You know, the things that he's built around Washington, in a way, I'd like to see some of them stay up to remind people of the outrages of the Trump administration. You know, maybe have one of those those moving billboards that you take from monument to monument that he's named after himself through corruption, paid for them with the taxpayers money. People need to remember, I would like to say for all the time, but I know the public doesn't operate that way. Maybe a year or two. Is that possible for the public to remember something that long?
Speaker 1: I know, And you know, Trump has tried to do the reflecting pool.
Speaker 2: He has torn down part of the White House.
Speaker 1: One of the latest things is that the Kennedy Center board is now saying that, you know, he can inscribe his name into the Kennedy Center. That's something that the New York Times has reported. And this is after a judge told him to take his name off of the Kennedy Center and Larry, this is a this is a president, this administration that is out and out thumbing its nose at the courts, at the judicial branch of government. And going back to the Nixon comparison, you know, eventually Nixon gave up the tapes. Nixon listened to the courts. Nixon listened to Congress when his own party was coming over and telling him to resign. That's not that's not Donald Trump. He does not listen to the other branches of government, and he almost wants to be at war with the other branches of government. It seems maybe it's at the screen so we.
Speaker 3: Can blame them when it is appropriate to do so. But no, there's no comparison. Historically, you go through the presidents, they are examples of corruption. They're pennyanty compared to Trump's billions of dollars. Again, people are just so overwhelmed by the magnitude of it. They can't even focus on it day after day after day. And I wish people would obviously, then maybe it would hit home that they've done the wrong thing and that they better try and correct it a bit in twenty twenty six and then again in twenty twenty eight. But I see very little of that now. Some of that will change in the campaign when you have, you know, a million ads focusing on corruption, but there are so many other things, like the war in Iran, a complete waste of money, a complete waste of lives about nothing that had no real purpose. When you think about it, you get even madder than you do about the corruption, because at least that isn't about lives and so many other things you can't focus on it all.
Speaker 1: No, it's true, and the war with Iran is the reason why they had to do this elaborate switcheroo on Air Force one, you know, because they thought there was some security threat that the Israelis I guess had passed on to the US Intelligence Comunity and said there's thisecurity threat, and the Secret Service took it seriously enough where they said, Okay, we're going to do this thing where We're not only going to put you on the old Air Force one. We're going to find another plane to put you on, and then the Old Air Force one is going to be the decoy plane that the press and the staff are loaded onto. I mean, it's kind of an extraordinary, you know, statement and illustration as to how messed up the Iran war has gotten for him. It's because of that war that they had to go through all of that and have such an embarrassing fiasco on their hands.
Speaker 3: Every now and then something leaks out. Apparently he yelled and screamed a great link that hegseth for example, for the war in Iran. He's done the same thing to that Yahoo. I'm sure he's done it to others, and eventually we'll learn it, may be unfortunately in the post presidential books, not his book, but others will write about some of it. And he knows, at one level of his consciousness, he knows how screwed up things are and how his supposedly brilliant, best cabinet ever his advisors have sent him down these dead ends, and they're all going to be attributed to Trump. History doesn't really remember the cabinet members or the key advisors. You know, historians will remember, but not average people. No, it's going to be attributed to Donald Trump. And I am convinced, absolutely convinced, for as long as we have the kinds of historian polls that we have now, after each presidency, measuring that president against all the others, you're going to have Donald Trump in last place, not second to last, not third to last, last place for all time.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And that gives what James Buchanan to break Who gets a breakout of that?
Speaker 2: I guess that's.
Speaker 3: Warren Harding, Warren Harding and Nixon. You know, Grant wasn't really corrupt himself, but he ran a corrupt administration. And there were stupid presidents like Franklin Pierce, but that's different. He inherited bad geenes you know, hard to hold that against somebody personally, But this isn't a class by itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I guess that leads us to the other part of this, which is and I mentioned AOC earlier and it's way too early to talk about this stuff, but I'm sure you get this question all the time. I get this question all the time, So I ask the question to annoy you one more time. Who out there right now is looking like a promising Democratic candidate for twenty twenty eight do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I've got an answer for you. Because the Crystal Ball, part of the UVA Center for Politics, for which you are a Center for Politics scholar, we found thirty eight people who are either running outright or very close to running, or they're dipping their toes into the water, or they're making statements that make us think they might be running. Thirty eight of them on the Democratic side. Now, look, most of them will run. They're going to confront the reality of the tens or hundreds of millions that you need to for the nomination. But you know we're going to have a good fifteen to twenty candidates, you know that. So anyway, I pick a different one each day. I want to give equal attention to each of the thirty eight. You need to call me thirty eight days in a row, Jim, because but mine today is John Ossoff. It's John Osoff because I sent out a little email to one of my classes and said, and who do you think of the ones you've seen so far you most impressed with to run for president? And as solid majority out of thirty eight candidate. It's a solid majority of the students, said John ossof young. He's young, they can identify with him. But he is very good. He's a terrific speaker. He's tough, and that's what Democrats want to see. None of this namby pamby stuff, not with this guy. This guy only responds to toughness. The people around him only respond to toughness.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think I saw that the Crystal Ball had also taken a look at Kamala Harris because the former vice and it has looked at coming back. And you know, it's been reported that she's you know, I don't know if she's dipping her toe in the water, but she's looking at the She's looking at the body of water as it exists, maybe off on the horizon.
Speaker 2: But that's gonna be tough.
Speaker 3: Well, Jim, I knew Adlei Stevenson Adlai Stephens, a friend of mine. Adele Stevenson told me in a dream, tell Kamal it not to run again, Yeah, because it only gets worse. You know, he lost by a bigger landslide eisen har the second time. And I could have given you ten other examples. It didn't work out the first time unless it was extremely close. You know, Gore might have been able to do it against Bush had he run again, but it's extremely rare. People have made a judgment on that candidate. It may have been unfair, it may have been a dumb move. They may regret it, but that didn't mean they're going to lect that person because that person is identified with the past. We always want to move on to the future, even if we're not capable of dealing with.
Speaker 2: The future, right.
Speaker 1: And what we typically see in these presidential elections is that when the public is ready to move on, voters are ready to move on to a new era in politics, they sort of choose the opposite of the person that was there before. So, you know, it may have been a colossal, historic, self inflicted wound on the part of the American people when they chose Donald Trump to be that reaction to Barack Obama, and my goodness, has that been stinging for a while. But the voters may do something like that as an antidote to Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Well, that's another reason why Asov is at the top of many people's lists, because if you look at him and his record, and his CV and all the rest of it. He is kind of the polar opposite of Donald Trump, just an a. I'm talking about mental characteristics and personal attributes and all the rest of it, and so are a number of the other ones. You know, I think Mark Kelly and Shapiro, Josh Shapiro, governor of Pennsylvania, senator from Arizona, they should have been one of them the pick for VP. He right, or for Harris at least she would have won that additional cache of electoral votes right, either Arizona or Pennsylvania. Not to be critical of Tim Wallas, but he added nothing. You know, if you're a Democrat for president, you're not going to win Minnesota, give up, do everybody a favor, and resign the nomination. So, you know, I think it's it's people have got to start thinking in that way. It's about electoral votes, for God's sakes. Don't you remember Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton and other Democratic presidents who won because they brought a whole region with them, you know, in the middle of the whole middle of the country with Clinton, the whole region except for Virginia with Jimmy Carter.
Speaker 2: These things matter that's right.
Speaker 1: And Joe Biden, you know, I mean, you know, it did end in a spectacularly bad way for him. I mean, in twenty twenty, he did that, you know, he did that with Georgia, He did that with a lot of these states. The Blue Wall was reconstituted and so on, and you just have to wonder who is going to be able to assemble that coalition again. It's it's going to probably come down to those seven swing states one more time, and and and who knows, I mean, you know, and it could be an election where it's it's very, very close. And I think the Republicans don't know what to do on the other side other than to run Donald Trump again. And he keeps talking about that as if it's a joke, but we all know it's.
Speaker 2: Not really a joke. I think if he could do it, he would do it.
Speaker 3: Oh he would absolutely do it. And he may do it even if you can't do it. The reason why he keeps mentioning it, and his keep mentioning it, that's an option on the table for them. Since when did they care about the constitution?
Speaker 2: That's right, Look at the.
Speaker 3: Parts of the constitution. He's already had contempt for or violated. You know, most of the gifts he's he's accepted violate the Constitution. So I am worried about it, and people ought to be worried about it, and they ought to be worried about what he is likely to do before, during, and after the mid term elections this year. Forget about twenty twenty eight. For the moment, the dry run is this November.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: No, I totally agree with you, and I think that's why it's, you know, so critically important that you know that the public keep its eye on what Todd Blanche is doing as the attorney general. Is I've been saying, you know, the Democrats can win the House, they can win the Senate, they can they can control the Congress. But if Todd Blanche, who is basically Donald trump personal attorney, is the attorney general, not the acting attorney jump, but the permanent attorney general, I mean they will try to do all sorts of things. It seems to me between now and early twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely he'll be more than willing to do it. He is just his personal attorney and more he's he's somebody who is an acolyte. The last thing you need as attorney general. Even John Mitchell wasn't this bad. Mitchell rebuild against some of Nixon's orders or suggestions. He really did. He did some terrible things too, and that's why he went to prison. And we don't do that anymore. You know, if you're powerful enough, you'll get a pardon. And if you don't get a pardon, you just get a new president who's going to treat you like gold. And look at what look at what Todd Blanche is now saying along with Trump about the the fund that was going to take care all these terribly discriminated against January sixth criminals. They were heroes, they were patriots, Jim, and they need to be paid off. And now it turns out there are other ways to deliver the other ways. Yeah, I mean this, this is beyond belief. It is sickening. It is disgusting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: And and to paraphrase Donald Trump, who once said when you're a celebrity, you get away with it, he thinks when you're president, you get away with it.
Speaker 3: Uh even more so, yeah, even more so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, Larry uh with the terrific UVA Center for Politics, and and yes I am paid to say that as a scholar of the program. I appreciate it very much. Always great to talk to Larry. We covered the waterfront, as they say, it was.
Speaker 3: Fun, Jim as always, take care and joy and we look forward to seeing you back in Charlottesville.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. Can't wait to get back down there. Thanks, Larry. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And you know, he's absolutely right, and Larry's given us a lot to chew on. I mean, I do think that you know, it is not a stretch to say that Donald Trump will end up at the bottom of all presidents from a historical standpoint, that historians will agree from here on that Donald Trump was the worst president of all time. And it's hard to imagine anything really changing that scenario. And I was saying, I was saying this on the show the other day, and I will continue to say this. I was saying some of this when I was on MS Now the other day that his second term has been an absolute spectacular failure. It has been an absolute spectacular failure, and in a failure so many senses in that it obviously has hurt the American people. The economy has gone south during his administration during a second administration. But the way he is profited off the presidency, there is no precedent for it. There is no historical example for it. When you look at American history, no president has tried to profit off the presidency in the way that Donald Trump has. And I have to think that that is going to that is going to stick in the craw of a lot of voters from here on out until November, and they're going to be thinking about that when they go to the polls, when they think about how much they paid at the pump to drive themselves over to their polling station, when it's ten, fifteen, twenty dollars more than what they paid before Donald Trump came into the Oval office and started this second, this Iran war during a second administration. It obviously is stinging with a lot of people, and people are looking at their pocketbooks and they're saying they're going to blame him. And it has been said many times that people vote on the economy, and I think that is absolutely going to be the case this time around. But more to the point, they're going to be thinking about how Trump's economy has done so really well during his presidency and everybody else has gotten the shaft, there's no question about it. Really appreciate Larry Sabita joining us today. Going to do a shorter show today, but thanks everybody for tuning in. Gave us a lot to think about. I'm curious what you think. Put some stuff in the comments for us. Put your thoughts in the comments. Let us know what you think about what might be happening in the House, the Senate, maybe twenty twenty eight. Who you're preferred candidate is. Larry thinks we should keep our eyes on John as Off. We'll be hearing a lot about John as Off lately. We're trying to get him on the show. Yes, we are working on that, and I think, you know, it'll be very interesting to see how all of this plays out. As I said at the beginning of all of this, we're less than we're around eighty or so days until the midterms.
Speaker 2: This is going to go very quickly, folks. Taking from it.
Speaker 1: I covered a lot of these elections, covered a lot of these presidential elections and midterm cycles.
Speaker 2: We're almost in the.
Speaker 1: Full sprint to the finish, and it's going to be a very interesting sing fascinating to watch and I hope you'll be with us as we watch it each and every day. But in the meantime, still reporting from Washington, I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time.