Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks to call a European Adventure. I quite think of it as that it was a good time. We had a lot of fun with a lot of nightside listeners in Rome and on the Amalfi Coast, and I wish you had been able to be there with us, Nicole. It was we had a lot of fun, that's for sure. My name is Dan Ray. But I am very happy to be back in the big chair here on WBZ from eight until midnight as the host of Nightside. Rob Brooks is back in the control room with an assistant and a young new technician whose first name is Dan. We won't you know, we're not gonna give any a lot of information, but when you're calling tonight, you're going to be talking to Rob or to Dan, and I will talk about our trip to Rome, but I think i'll do that at beginning at nine o'clock because we have four really interesting guests lined up for you tonight during the eight o'clock hour. I must thank all the folks who filled in for me last week. I know that Mullgan White carried the ball most nights, but Ben Parker was here one night, and Gary Tangway was here one night. I was off a total of seven nights, which is for me a really long time away from the microphone. But we had a lot of fun, and we'll talk about that. We saw so much in a relatively brief period of time. I'll get to all of that at nine o'clock. Many of my fellow travelers nightside travelers who wanted to know when are we going to talk about it? So we'll talk about it at nine o'clock. But first we're going to talk about a deaf football team and their quest for glory with an author correspondent for The New York Times, Thomas Fuller. The name of the book is The Boys of Riverside. I assume we're talking about Riverside, California. Tom full how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm good, Dan. Yes, indeed, Riverside, California, just east of Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm told, a pretty beautiful part of the world outside of LA And so there was a school there for students who was it they had no hearing or they had limited.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there are two deaf schools in California, one in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the other in Riverside, which is you know, Riverside used to be just Orange Groves and uh, you know, quite bucolic. Now it's like Amazon warehouses and you know where everything that comes in from China ends up in a warehouse. So it's a it's not the not the most beautiful neighborhood. But in the middle of it there's this great school, California School for the Deaf for Riverside, and they got about one hundred and fifty kids and they had a football program that for well seven decades, uh, didn't go anywhere. They never made it to the playoffs. And then a couple of years ago something happened and they just started pummeling their opponents and and that's that's where I went down. I said, I got to write about this.
Speaker 2: By the way, there's a school in Washington, d C. I think it's called Gardett, which is also a school for deaf students.
Speaker 3: We have Perkins Galadet for the.
Speaker 2: Blind here in Boston, so these schools do exist. Okay, Look, football is a game which everybody has to move at the same time. You can't be offside. You have to for the most part be able to you're prompted by the calls that the quarterback makes, not only in the huddle, but up on the line of scrimmage. How does a group of eleven football players, none of whom can hear, How did they function well as a football team, as these young men obviously did.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: You've got a lot of stuff there, and I liked that you mentioned the huddle because there's a story about that.
Speaker 4: But let me.
Speaker 3: Start with how they function really well. The players here, with their eyes, they see the field much more comprehensibly. Matter of fact, there's studies that if you're profoundly deaf from birth, and this makes sense, that your site becomes more acute. This team that I followed, the Cubs, they're known as they never jumped off sides. I think I saw it twice because they were so focused on the ball and they had incredible peripheral vision. That study that I referenced, there have been a few of them.
Speaker 4: You know, when you go to the.
Speaker 3: DMV and you know, look, they say, okay, let's test your eyesight, and they have the flashing lights in there and you're supposed to press the button when you see it. Deaf people do better at those tests, and then you know here makes.
Speaker 2: A lot of sense, makes a lot of sense. Obviously, over time, the human body, the human condition, tries to make up for areas where they may be in a vulnerability, just the ability to survive. If you're you know, five hundred years ago, we're right out in the wilderness and you couldn't hear. You were probably a lot more observant.
Speaker 3: When you think about it, the brain changes. And so I'll tell you the story about the huddle since you mentioned it, So where to come from. It came from Galadet that you mentioned. Two death teams were playing in the eighteen nineties and they were you know, they're all deaths. So they were signing to each other. Well, and so the quarterback for Galadet said, we got to do something about this. They're reading our plays here, gather together, back to the defense and I'll give you the play that was where the huddle was born. It did exists before that happened. And so now Galadet, if you go watch one of their games, you get some merch that says home of the Huddles.
Speaker 2: Wow, boy, that's fabulous. You know, it's interesting. There was a guy who was who played Major League Baseball Curtis Pride, who a few years ago pretty good player for the Tigers amongst other teams, actually played for the Red Sox for a little while. Young ballplayer who also was deaf since birth. And yet that's right.
Speaker 3: Derek Coleman, who was the fullback on the Seahawks, also deaf. So there had been deaf athletes. Benny Fuller, who was a college basketball player. And it's tough if you're deaf on a hearing team. That's what I saw with these kids. They had played, they were great athletes, they had played in Pop Warner leagues, but it was really tough communicating with you all the hearing players. Sure, So then they all got together, all the deaf players got together and it was just glue. It was beautiful. It was a brotherhood of all deaf people. And they used sign language. They didn't have to. The coach didn't have to, you know, the quarterback didn't have to run over the sidelines, get to play from the coach, run back in. So it's all sign language. They just looked over, they saw the sign and they you know, and that was it. Off to the next play, super fast, super efficient.
Speaker 2: So so this was the twenty twenty one season that I think you chronicle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the twenty twenty one season was the first. So I stayed with them for the entire twenty twenty two season. Okay, but the twenty twenty one season was where they started to turn on the jets, and I actually wrote a story for the New York Times that kind of that led to this book project, and so then I spent the entire season with them. I had deaf roommates, you know, stood on the sidelines, So the whole season, went to all the games and just this is great, just chronicled you know, this world that and this amazing quest that they had, you know, for the first time, well for the first time in California history.
Speaker 2: Well we're not going to spoil the ending here, but the name of the book is The Boys of Riverside, a Deaf football team and a Quest for Glory by Tom Fuller. Thomas Fuller, available obviously Amazon and all of that. It was published, I guess by Penguin Random House, which is a big publisher. Just a last question, since you chronicled the end of the twenty twenty twenty twenty one season and all of the twenty twenty two season. We won't ask you how the story ends because we want people to buy the book. But I'm just wondering, did any of these players go on to college and end up actually playing college football?
Speaker 5: But per chance or no, they did.
Speaker 3: They did the actually playing at Galadet Right now, the quarterback who's won really the star of the team. He's playing it alled debt uh, and so is his wide receivers. So they did go on and and I think they're doing pretty well there.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great, that's that's a great story for people to overcome these limitations that you know, people, all of us are born with limitations. I know that most of us have more limitations than than abilities. But for them to turn a limitation into an ability, it has to be a really inspiring story.
Speaker 3: And edge how long?
Speaker 2: How long has this coach been working there? I'm assuming that this coach probably is a long time coach. I have not read the book. I'm looking forward to reading it. Has the coach been there a long time? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, the coach is you know, entirely deaf as well all the entire coaching staff and all the players. And the coach is a terrific athlete who grew up in Stockton, California, and he had the same frustrations that the players had. He was playing on hearing teams and the communication wasn't working. So for him that two of his kids were on the team, and for him this was just the fulfillment of a lifetime that he could finally get, you know, an all deaf team and they could show that deafness, as you said, is actually an edge on the football field.
Speaker 2: So two of his sons also inherited the I guess the gene that did didn't allow them to. I didn't realize that that was a something that could be passed generationally. I thought it was sort.
Speaker 3: Of a yeah, kenby genetic absolutely well.
Speaker 2: I never realized there was a genetic aspect. I just thought that that was, you know, the so called luck of the draw. Tom Fuller, I really enjoyed it. Keep us posted and I'm looking forward to your next book. What are you working on now?
Speaker 3: Just back to the grind. You know, I cover wildfires in California, I cover breaking news. I read about Gaza once in a while, so it's you know, this was a nice respite. This was great, you know, I never I didn't talk about politics with anyone on the team. I have no idea if the Democrats or Republicans. But now I'm back to the real world.
Speaker 2: That's great. That that is absolutely great. Look, Tom Fuller, I appreciated your time, and it sounds like a wonderful book, and I hope that our listeners head to a bookstore near there. I'll go to Amazon dot com, whatever is easier, But it sounds like an inspirational book. Particularly if you have a son or daughter in high school who's participating in sports. This this might really explain to them that the bad day on the gridiron, there's a lot of a lot of obstacles that other people are able to overcome. Thanks so much, Tom, Thank you, Dan, talk to you soon. Well, we came back on and talk about the world's best bull riders coming back to New Hampshire. No, I know it's going to be a little while this December, but we're going to talk with a professional bull ride to Senior Vice President Robert Simpson, and you can maybe put this on your calendar. Back on Nightside, my name's Dan Ray. Back here after a week and a half away in Italy. With's a really great group of Nightside listeners. I wish all of you could could have been on the trip with us. We really had a lot of fun and we'll talk about that maybe right after the nine o'clock news, but for now, we still have three more guests coming up, starting off about talk about the world's best bull riders. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside and w BZ, Boston's news radio station ten thirty and your am dial coming back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: There's a few things I've never done in my life. Actually, there's many things I've never done in my life. One of them is to ride a bull. However, the world's Best bull Riders are coming back to Manchester, New Hampshire for the fifth consecutive season with PBR Leash the Beast at SNU Arena a few days before Christmas December twentieth and twenty first, So we're still a few months away. You got to go September, October, November into December, but we have with us the Professional bull Riders Senior vice president Robert Simpson. Rob I gotta ask you in order to become the senior vice president of this fine organization. Did you have to ride a bull?
Speaker 5: I did not good for you.
Speaker 6: But you know that's quite the little intro and we could probably take care of that if he wanted to, you know, come on, come on up to Manchester.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no no. I very much appreciate that, but I gotta tell you I do not want to get in. I gotta tell you I watched bull riders. It's the longest eight seconds in sports.
Speaker 6: From it, sure.
Speaker 2: Is give us a quick for those who are on. Everybody knows bull riding. But if you stay on for eight seconds, does it no matter what form you have or is it just the duration of time?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, yeah, it matters what form you have. So you know the eight seconds to your point is I mean, it's it's forever on the back of the bull. And so you know there's a you know, we have a you know.
Speaker 4: Everybody that rides the bull gets scored.
Speaker 6: So that's where the style points on how well you control the bull, how hard the bull bucks, you know, all of the factors that go in to the ride. So from the moment the shoot opens to when the eight second clock goes off, you know, during that duration you know, we have four judges that are scoring the ride. So they give half of the points to the bull and half of the points.
Speaker 4: To the rider.
Speaker 6: And so if the bull is inferior, they're going to score less. If the bull is just you know, a monster, they're going to score more. And then if the rider is kind of hanging off the side, then you know what I'm saying, and not control.
Speaker 2: But but it makes that is where I would be for like two seconds.
Speaker 6: He's not going to get any you know, many points either, you know. So the riders got to show control of the bull and then also the bulls got a buck hard, you know, and so those two things coming together, that's when good things happen, and guys, you know, they won't have been What what.
Speaker 2: Is the career expectancy of bull riders? You know, I know that, you know, I think it's NFL players about four and a half years. Major League Baseball players maybe on an average a little bit more than that. But there are some players in the major leagues who can last twenty twenty one years. Nolan Ryan, Ran, Cal Ripken, Roger Clemens. What is the average career link for a professional bull rider?
Speaker 6: On an average, probably ten to twelve years.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, not bad. And and just like baseball, right, we've had some some riders that you know, have ridden bulls well past their forties, you know, competitively, you know, and still in the hunt and and so forth. But to your point, they're the exception to the rule. You know, there's you know, by the time the bull rider kind of enters, you know, say twenty twenty years old, you know, then say, you know, once they hit thirty, you know, they're probably on the backside of their career. And you know, if it's a couple of years, if it's three or four, so yeah, you know, on average, probably about twelve years.
Speaker 2: Let's carry let's carry the sports metaphor hell a little bit, because this is obviously a sport. When does your season start? When does your season end?
Speaker 6: Season starts the first in November, and we kick off in Tucson, Arizona, and then Manchester that we're talking about is the fourth event of the new season. And so by the time that December twenty and twenty first rolls around in New Hampshire, it'll be event number four. And then once the New year, roles were in Madison Square Garden over the first weekend of January, so we go all the way till May. And so in mid we have the World Finals in Texas and that's season, so pretty much November to May.
Speaker 2: Well that that's a that's a full full season. And your bull riders. How many bull riders do you? I mean, is it is it the same group of men and or women? I don't know whether we have the women riders as well, or is it mixing match where some people are on you.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's it's all male. And this is yeah, what we're talking to the event that we're talking about coming to Manchester is I mean, it's the best of the best. It's the NFL. It's Major League Baseball for bull riding. You know, we have different levels, Dan, you know what I'm saying. So this is this is the major leagues right here. And so what we do is we have about thirty five forty guys that we kind of you know, take to these events and so we you know, much like golf, there's a standings and so they're all competing as individuals and.
Speaker 3: So if they ride, they get paid.
Speaker 6: If they don't, they don't, you know, much like golf.
Speaker 2: And you know, so you don't make the cut in golf, you go home on Friday after.
Speaker 6: All that money to travel and yeah, all that good stuff. So but yeah, so it's it's all male. Now there are female leagues of course, but we don't we don't deal with that. But yeah, this is the so.
Speaker 2: So this is this is up in Manchester. Everybody knows where the s N s n h U arena is tickets available? How do they? How do they get tickets?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: It is ways just PBR dot com, you know, it's uh got, yeah, we got. We've got a link there that will direct them. Or they can go to the venue website, you know for a n q U and then you know, always get them, you know, on the ticket. I'm not sure what the ticket platform there is at that at that venue.
Speaker 2: Well that's so they if they go to the PBR dot com, which I assume is professional bull Riding Professionals.
Speaker 6: Not not the beer, not the beer.
Speaker 2: B b R dot com and hey little early Christmas pres you never know, it sounds like a great family event. Something a little bit different here in England. We don't have a lot of bull riding in New England. But hey, it's available on December twentieth and twenty. First, I don't have that calendar in front of me. I'm assuming that's a Friday and Saturday, or am I wrong?
Speaker 4: That is?
Speaker 6: That is it's a Friday Saturday right before Christmas to your point, and yeah, it's a great family show. Yeah it's if it is. You know, if you've never been Dan, you know what I'm saying with your listeners, man, I mean, once you go, you're hooked. I mean so that we've that's why we're back, you know for the fifth year in New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: I mean, people, you just had a good turnout the last four years, and you know we'll have you back a little closer to the date, maybe sometime in November just in case people let it slide off that calendar. But people want to get good takes great December twenty twenty. First, Robert, I enjoyed the conversation. I learned a lot about a sport that I frankly don't know a whole heck of a lot about. But I certainly do admire the people who participate in and get up on that bowl, that's for sure. Again. Robert Simpson, the PBR Professional bull Riders PBR dot com we get back. We're going to celebrate a birthday. Smoky the Bear turns eighty and I found out there actually was an actual Smoky the Bear. We will get to all of that right after the news break here at the bottom of the.
Speaker 1: Hour Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know who the most famous person in the world is. Maybe it's the President of the United States, maybe it's the Pope. I don't know. Maybe it's who who I dare say, Vladimir Putin. But just in terms of fame, I don't think there's anybody that I know of who has not heard of Smoking the Bear. And Smoky turns eighty years of age. Is it tomorrow that we reached this milestone with me? As straight you see Denisitch. She's the vice president Group campaign director at the AD Council. Tracy tell us, what is it tomorrow? The day of Smokey's birthday.
Speaker 7: Smokey's eightieth birthday was Friday, August night, but we're celebrating all year. He's turned eighty, but he'll be eighty for the whole year.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable. Unbelievable. Obviously, we think Smokey the bear and only you can Prevent forest Fires, one of the most successful ad campaigns in the history of the world. But I was interested to find out that there really was a Smoky the bear, a little bear cub.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right. So Smokey has become really, in so many ways, such an impactful you know, really had such an impact on the environmental protection in our country. And he's also really become a part of culture. And I think the living symbol of Smokey is a great example of that and one that we all really love. The ad campaign started in the forties. Smokey Bear was first featured on a poster with his now iconic tagline on that you can prevent forest fires, asking Americans to take care and recognize their personal responsibility in preventing wildfires. And then following that in the fifties, firefighters fighting a fire in New Mexico found a little baby bear injured by the fire, and they saved him. They named him Smokey. They nursed him back to health, and upon his recovery he spent He was flown to the zoo, the National Zoo in Washington, d C. Where he lived for the rest of his life and when he moved there. He became so popular so quickly that fans were writing him so much fan mail that he actually had to get his own zip code. So papropos to your introduction, Smokey Bear and the presidents are the only Americans who have their own zip code. And you can still write to Smokey at Kyoto is his zip code. And but of course we also now connect with his fans and his you know friends on social media accounts, and we really have wonderful ways of connecting with Americans and you know, ensuring that they have his message and his tips to help prevent wildfire.
Speaker 2: Now, this is a is a time of year when, particularly in the West, we see a lot of forest fires. There's that big fire in California, which, as I understand that actually was started by some guy who lit hit a car on fire. I think it was his mother's car and he rolled it into the woods. And the amount of damage that is done by these fires, obviously you know that was intentionally set. But on an average year, how much acreage do we lose in this country to forest fires? It has to be a huge number.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's some of us do exist. I don't have I don't know the exact number, but I can say that nine and ten wildfires are started by humans, many of them accidental. And I think, you know, of course, our hearts go out to the to the communities that are impacted by these fires, and to the you know, appreciation to the men and women who are fighting those fires. And I think what's so empowering and special about Smoky's message is that he really gives us all everyone across the country something that we can do, a part that we can play in preventing those fires from happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the messages that have come out. Obviously, you don't throw a lit cigarette into the woods, you don't leave a campfire without really dousing that campfire. Obviously, all of those things are just so important. How was Smoky the beer to this day still on the air, meaning, in other words, does the AD Council is this literally a PSA or they w in which people can support this advertising. I'm confused by that. I looked for an answer and I couldn't find it.
Speaker 7: Well, yes, since nineteen forty four we've had our partnership with the It's between the AD Council of the National Association of State foresters in the United States Forest Service as well as our ad agency partner FCB, have been developing PSAs. So for eighty years now, we've been bringing PSA messaging to Americans across the country through whatever the most relevant and you know, prevalent advertising space is at any time, working with industry partners to get that into people's homes and across the country. But Smokey has also really become a cultural icon, right. He's been featured on postage stamps, people into outer space, You've let presidents, he makes appearances at baseball games and forests and parks across the country, and he has social media accounts. And I think we really, you know, are always looking for ways to ensure that Americans recognize that Smokey's message is still the same and it is important now more than ever. This isn't a message just for the fifties, just for you know, nineteen forty four when we first put this out there, but this is you know, really relevant and important now more than ever.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great, it's a great It's been a great ad campaign for eighty years, the longest running you know public I guess i'll call it a cubic Service Campaign. We know that there are forest fires where we have no idea how many forest fires or fires in wooded areas have been prevented because someone in the back of their head remembered the AD and the phrase only you can prevent forest fires. And maybe they did extinguish a campsite effectively. Maybe they chose not to flip that cigarette into the into the woods. So I appreciate you joining us today and give us a little bit of a history about Smokey the Bear. Tracy Sandwich, a Vice president Group Campaign director of the AD Council, Thanks so much joining us.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me. Happy birthday, Smoky.
Speaker 2: Okay, happy birthday, Smoky the Bear. All right, when we get back, we're going to talk about a very serious subject that rears its ugly head, if you will, at this time of year. Uh, and that is anxiety for some kids as they go back to school. We'll be talking with a mental health expert, doctor Vince Callahan, right after this quick break here on a Monday night edition. First night back in a while. It's nice to be here. I missed all of you. Loved Italy, loved Rome, loved the Mouthy Coast. But there's no place like home. We'll be back right after this quick break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Night Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: You know, school is actually believe or not resumed in some places around the country already, which I think is crazy. However, here in New England, kids to get back to school sometime after a labor Day. And I remember as a kid long time ago, back in the last century, leaving summer and seeing Labor Day in the rearview mirror. It didn't cause anxiety, but I hated to see summer end. And we're going to talk about kids who have not only probably enjoy the freedom of summer, but a little bit anxious about getting back to school. Little butterflies, jitters, whatever you want to call it, call it with us. As doctor Vince Callahan, mental health expert, Doctor Callahan, Welcome to Nightside, Nightside. What percentage of kids in America deal with some form of stress or anxiety when those school bells ring.
Speaker 4: The research that I've done the last fourteen years shows me about seventy five percent of kids in a classroom deal with some form of stress. So at the very least you're looking at twenty five to thirty percent are going to deal with anxiety.
Speaker 2: Wow, so one out of four your students deal with anxiety? Is that a No, You've done this for a while. But are there any studies going back to the time of the fifties and sixties when some of us were in school, in elementary and grammar schools.
Speaker 5: I'm sure there are.
Speaker 4: I haven't I haven't found them, but I'm sure they're out there. Yeah, when we were kids. Because I'm sixty two, so it sounds like we're almost you know, I got a few years.
Speaker 2: On you, But go ahead, I'm on the wrong side of fifty. I'll just give it you that.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, we hated to see summer end, but we were excited about school. Now kids are worried about do I have the right shoes, do I have the right outshit? Do I have the coolest backpack? I don't measure up to other people, And there's such pressure on these kids to perform early that their whole self esteem is in the toilet.
Speaker 2: Now Why why is there pressure on kids in terms of outfits and stuff like that. I mean, I would think that the concern would be is who's my new teacher? Who are my classmates. I would assume that would be what most kids would be thinking about, not whether or not, you know, they were properly attired. Are we school?
Speaker 4: It depends on the age group when you get when you're looking at elementary school kids, you're exactly right, they are who's my teacher going to be? Who are my friends? Will they like me? Will they accept me? When you get in middle school kids, you're looking at will I fit in? Do I have the right stuff? Do I have the latest and coolest stuff? You know, is my hair? Okay? And then high school it's like, how can I get out of your kind of thing? But yeah, it just depends on the age group. But yeah, kids go through this where their biggest thing they're feeling is is kind of out of controlla a little bit. I mean, the two greatest needs any child has the safety and security?
Speaker 2: And what about if I make what about if I make the argument to you doctor that it's absolutely normal to have some anxiety. It's absolutely normal to be a little apprehensive. Look if you and I started a new job tomorrow, even though it is a job that we might have done for twenty or twenty five years, you get a little bit of the butterflies. Any athlete will tell you I get butterflies before every show? Am I prep? Right? Is? Have I left anything to chance? Isn't this part of just preparing to function in the real world? This is just normal? Or no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna agree with you one hundred percent that anything new for a moment, you're gonna have anxiety. But there's really two kinds of this anxiety that we're looking at with kids. One is the normal situational I'm going into a new situation. How will I do and how will I cope? And that should course correct within about thirty days or less. But then you get the anxiety that's fear based. That is this whole what if there's intrusive thoughts I don't measure up, I can't do it, and it doesn't ever course correct. And now you're getting into generalized anxiety disorder even in little kids. And so I'm still going to hold my twenty five percent number or in that second category, which is unfortunate.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what can what can parents do if they think their son or daughter at whatever age you know, going into kid in kindergarten, elementary, whatever, what can they do to help the child get through. This.
Speaker 4: First thing is routine, and like you were talking about up north, you guys have a little bit more time. So the greatest thing parents can do prior to starting school is to go in and get the house routines in order, bedtime at a certain time, waking up at a certain time even though school hasn't started yet, getting them familiar with their teachers and what they're going to be doing. Kind of let mom and dad go on the web and look for what what you know, first grader go through to study wise and school wise. Because of the things that kids get apprehensive about is will I be able to learn? And what is it that I'm going to learn? So the biggest thing is routine and get a schedule going. Second thing is attachment or talk to the kids. I like to teach my parents I work with, don't ask leading questions. To go in and start with a leading statement, which is, you know, I know that you might be feeling apprehensive or a little bit anxious about going to school when I felt that way too, But and then you let them start talking to you and do leading statements instead of leading questions, because we know that when you ask the kid a question. He shutdown, says, no, it's fine, nothing nothing.
Speaker 2: You know what, what I found was helpful. And I don't know if I took both of my children a little at that time, little boy and little girl, when they were entering kindergarten. I took them to the school. Yeah, week or so ahead of time, when the teachers were prepping the school and all of that, and walked in and introduced them, figured out who the teacher was. So did this to take the edge off good idea, A bad idea?
Speaker 4: You a great idea, You're a great dad. That was the perfect thing to do, because that that settles that. Remember my opening statement, kids need safety and security. So if I take if I as a parent, take away the what if I've created safety and security?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like I like to tell this story. I've told it before. I remember my son was older and when he actually had to get on the school bus to to to go to kindergarten, as he you know, struggled to get up the first couple of steps of those school buses, which seemed to me kind of ridiculous they are so high for little kids. I sort of gave him a little bit of a boost and I said, uh, subconsciously, so he probably didn't hear it, but hopefully maybe I said, welcome to the treadmill of life.
Speaker 5: There you go, there you go, and then you go home, and then as a parent, you go home and you choose red or white. I did w I'm sorry, Oh you mean, yeah, choose red or white.
Speaker 4: You've made it to the summer, so take your favorite red or white and sit down to put your feet up and got through the summer.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a little early in the morning, you know, even though it's somewhere, it's after five. I did you go there? How could folks get in touch with the Dtor Vince Callahan if a, are you available to chatter or to us?
Speaker 4: The actually my website is doctor Vincecallahan dot com. And this is the reason that I actually just finished a digital book called The Family Handbook. It's a free download. They can get that. It's one hundred and one basic discussion questions and things and topics about the family. But they can reach me at doctor Vincecallahan dot com. There's a contact me little thing to spill out and give me your name and phone number and that kind of stuff. And I'm definitely love to talk to people.
Speaker 2: So it's all one more. Dr Vince v I NCEE C A L l A h A N traditional spelling off Callahan dot com. Yep, yep, thank you, joy this very much. We'll have you back. Thank you. If you'd love to come back. You're good guest.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. I'd love to thank you.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome, Doctor Vince Callahan. Okay, and we come back. We're going to talk about tonight about really three things. The Stewart health crisis that's a huge story. We haven't really touched that yet. An article in the Boston Globe by Brian McGrory about the bike lane on Boylston Street, and also talking about can you steal someone else's idea as a presidential candidate. And we'll also talk about the trip to Italy to Roam and the Mouthfee Coast that I took the last nine days, ten days along with a bunch of night side listeners, and we'll talk about it coming back right after the nine o'clock news here on a Monday night. It's August the twelfth,