Speaker 1: A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now we're approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables, our coverage of some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pwtorch dot com slash go vip. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card in one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library PW torch dot Com, slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: PW Torch and Speaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast.
Speaker 3: Ten years ago.
Speaker 1: This week on the flagship, Jason Powell from Progrestling dot Net joined me and we talked about John Cenas comeback promo, the Nikky Breeze segments, pros and cons, evaluating the progress of Roman Reigns, the future of TNA, our weekly Global Force Wrestling Update that was Jeff Jarrett's startup group that amounted to a website with faces of free agents added on a semi regular basis. We also want to mix of calls and emails as usual on the show. This originally live streamed on August twenty six, twenty fourteen, and it is today's Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast ten years ago. Flakes flashback for Wednesday, August twenty eighth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: This is the PW Torch live cast. It is Tuesday, August twenty sixth, twenty fourteen. I'm Wade Keller, editor and publisher of the Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter going on twenty seven years. I started the newsletter back in nineteen eighty seven and it's evolved from there into website, phone apps, podcasts, audio shows, and we are here five days a week fourth the PW Torch Live Cast, and we've been on the air almost five years and we appreciate you joining us today. I host on Tuesdays and Fridays most weeks. This week I'll be hosting on Thursday instead of Friday. My guest will be Mick carsh, former AWA announcer, longtime indie wresting announcer, and he'll be on to talk about Paul hayman early years. Paul Hayman's spent some of his early years in the business in the late a he's in the AWA, mccarsh was around him. Then we'll talk about Paul and how far Paul has come and just the amazing interviews he has produced lately, and that will Kaian nicey with people learning a lot about Paul with that DVD that came out this month. And also McK carsh was at a big indie show on Saturday night just outside of d Luth, Minnesota, with a lot of big names on the show, we'll talk about that and just the evolution of and the changes in the indie wrestling scene over the years as Mick has experienced it. He also follows the current wrestling scene and has strong opinions on what goes on in wrestling. He's been following wrestling for decades and decades used to run the Nick Bockwinkle Fan Club. Nick Bockwinkle because of the AWA kind of fading out of common history references because WWWWF history kind of dominates, doesn't get the acclaim he deserves. One of the best workers of all time. Mick was also a former Torch columnist, So that'd be a good show on Thursday. I hope you can join us live at five point thirty Eastern tomorrow. Just get a couple plugs out of the way right away. Tomorrow Pat McNeil will be hosting the Live care and his guest will be Kamala the Ugandan Giants. So join Pat for that. That should be fun. And if you did not hear it last Friday, Stone called Steve Austin was back on the show. Over two hours with Steve Austin. I was on with him one on one doing a long, pretty long form interview talking about today's wrestling scene and getting his thoughts on how wrestling main event wrestlers today are different than main event wrestlers in his day, and his opinions on Roman reigns and seth rollins and many other things going on at WWE, and also so candid in depth outs on his possible return. I got a ton of plugs out of the way at the beginning and set the stage Kamala tomorrow too. Remember that send in your questions for Kamala and Pat McNeil for tomorrow's show. PW Torchlive Cast at gmail dot com. That is p W Torchlive Cast at gmail dot com. You can also send in right now if you're listening to us live topics you want to discuss on today's show. So now shifting to today's show, Jason Powell from prog Wrestling dot Net joins me. Jason, Welcome to the show. Hey, good to be here, Wade, excellent to have you. I'm sure a little bit later we'll talk about the Kevin Love trade that became official over the weekend and has been a subject on my Twitter feed at the Wade Keller this afternoon as press conferences were held. Jason, your casual Wolves fan. I know you talked about it on your Q and A for dot net members, but you called me the most optimistic Kimberes fan ever and I should have a jersey, a number retired or something like that. What as a casual observer the Wolves? Real quick? What is your thought on the I love trade? And maybe we'll get more into it later on.
Speaker 4: Sure i'man knowing nothing about these guys because I'm just not a basketball guy as far as like the younger talent is concerned. It just it sounds like the like Flip Saunders the Wolves GM and coach, and I don't have whatever else other positions.
Speaker 3: Heis everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he played his cards right, you know what I mean? Because there was so much pressure to make the deal on Draft Day and there just wasn't a good deal on the table. And then obviously everything kind of fell into place when Lebron went back to Cleveland and they wanted to become an instant contender and so that opened the door. And it looks like he's I mean, you know, if things go great, this is gonna be remembered as a gem of a move. And even if things go poorly, I still think he made the best move he could possibly make for this team right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think any Wills fan would have imagined something. I don't. Actually, I think the two happiest basketball cities right now should be Minnesota or Minneapolis and Cleveland, because I mean, you couldn't think of a better case scenario for Cleveland to get Vin Love, a perfect compliment to Kyrie Irving and Lebron James, and then Minnesota getting what they got instead of just being burned a year from now when Love left for nothing or you know, a Lane trade, which often happens when a superstar force is a trade. This could set the Woz over the future. So it's fun anyway, had some fun with that. Press conference has just ended an hour or two ago, so it's fresh on my mind and fresh on the Twitter feed. I think Love and anybody who's a Cleveland fan or a Lebron fan who doesn't isn't excited about Love being traded there hasn't watched much Kevin Love because he's gonna be They're gonna win some titles. He's an amazing and cool player. All right, Let's shift the wrestling here and talk some content from Raw last night. The top item, Jason is John Cena speaking for the first time on TV since the brock lesnar defeat, the crushing defeat. Your thoughts on the job that John Cena did in selling the rematch and responding to what happened at Summer Slide.
Speaker 4: Yikes, do we go back to talking about the Wolves?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a reason I did so much at the beginning of the show because I didn't exactly have things I was excited to talk about as usual in terms of positives.
Speaker 4: This week, Yeah, it was just kind of everything's back to normal with John Cena already. I mean, you don't even It's like they give him the big beat down and then they erase it, you know, eight days later. We didn't get to see him struggling on last week's Rat thought it was a good move that he was off that show, and I thought he still should have been selling a little bit here, and instead he comes out and he's just more dominant than he's ever been. I mean, I know they have a pay per view to sell quickly, and I get that, and you have to do something to make people who saw the SummerSlam match think there's a reason John Scene is going to win. But give me a week, you know, give me a week of John Cena doubting himself a little bit something. Instead, they just everything's back to normal and super Scene is back better than ever.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, absolutely, And I mean I could have I expect I was sort of like the Nicky Brie segment. I thought it could have been. I expected it to be. I shouldn't say I expected was seen it to be worse. It could have been worse. Nicki and Brie expected it to be worse, and it turned out better than I thought. The Scena thing, I talked all week on Keller Hotline for VIP members and various formats. I was really excited to see what Sena would do. I thought this was a unique circumstance for him to take a beating like that, a guy who normally doesn't take that kind of a beating, to come out and do a different type of promo. And I think they just skipped the whole chapter. And I think that's what you're getting at, Jason. I'm fine with Sena giving himself a pep talk and saying, you know, I'm gonna I've got a strategy I know, I think I know what I did wrong. Lesler's gonna go win over confidence. I'm going to take advantage of that, like really give us some subst but do that in a week or two right before the pay per view. This I think was a week for him to almost seem like he was in a funk, like he was in a daze, like he was that it really affected him greatly mentally, that he lost the way that he did and sell that match. I do think there's that disappointment, I guess among people who look for Sena to just be Supersiena, that he was Superscena again. I mean, he's standing on the ring apron and that six man take in the main event, and there's absolutely no sense as he's riling up the crowd and cheering him on and reaching for a hot tag. There's just no sense. Jason, he took a beating of a lifetime that properly sold should have. I mean, if I had my pick, would have led to him skipping Night of Champions and not even being in the ring for you know, a month or six weeks and really selling it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm not even crazy about them going right back to this match. I just know there's just no reason to I think this is if things don't work out with Roman Reigns for whatever reason, that's a match you consider going back to a Mania. That's a match you consider going back to it next year SummerSlam if you still have access to brock Lesner, and I assume they will. But yet last night, it's just why, why do they always have to position him so strong? I just think that's part of the reason he stalled out. And it's not like he's in a horrible position and everyone hates him. He obviously has a big fan base and he sells a lot of merchandise. But I just think even his even like his fans, would like to see some more ups and downs, even if they're not consciously thinking of it. It just makes the character so much more compelling when it's not just the same thing week in and week out. And we just took a break for one week and we're right back to the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I was disappointed of that real quol. We'll talk more about that as show goes on. I'm sure Brion Nicky one of the other big segments of the show, were you with me that this was better than you feared or anticipated.
Speaker 4: One half of it was I thought Nicky was really good. I was pleasantly surprised by her performance because the only thing, only a bit, what she's shown is to pout. I mean, yes, in any situation, she pouts, and it's the weirdest thing. So last night it kind of felt like a little bit of Steph light maybe, but I'll take that because, I mean, if you're going to emulate someone, Stephanie is a pretty good person too, right now, if you're a diva. So I thought she she did really well. On the flip side, oh man, Brie Vella is a terrible actress. We're talking like bad porn level acting here.
Speaker 3: She's terrible, she is, and and they just shouldn't ask people to do things they can't do. Big Show can cry on Q, Rick Flair can cry on Q, but you know Bree can't. I mean, it just it's just not in it's not on her skill set, and they shouldn't be putting her in that position. I didn't love the segment by any means. It's just I was expecting it to be just awful. I mean, just really a disaster, and only Brie was was close to awful, arguably awful. Nikki was a pleasant surprise, and the interplay was good. During a lot of it, I really did not like and I thought I'd actually just showed a complete lack of like maturity and discipline on the part of the writing team. Assuming it wasn't improvised when Nikki said I wish you died in the womb, it doesn't that that line just didn't need to be there. For one, it's going too far, just takes people to a whole place that you don't watch wrestling for, you know, thinking of babies dying in the womb is just come on, really, I mean, that's that's part of selling a match. But for one sister to say it to another, what it did is it took a believable sibling conflict with Breeze at bad acting aside. And you know, because siblings fight, but grown up siblings in their twenties and beyond don't say I wish you died in the womb in the heat of a moment. You don't need to go there. It's like Scott Hall told me on a torch truck that I did with him back.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: However, many years ago. It was like seven eight hours of a marathon session with Scott Hall back about seven eight years ago, and he was one of the things that I stood out the most from that interview is how much he hates when wrestlers say I'm going to kill you, because nobody watching really believes the wrestlers going to kill somebody, and so when you take it out of the realm of possibility, you break that suspension to disbelief and take people out of the moment. That just I didn't like that at all, Json, I just don't. It just felt like a step too far, And I thought Nicky was good enough, she didn't need to go there.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know if Yeah, if that was scripted, I can't believe that made it through the process. If it was her just kind of going off script, then I hope they sat her down afterward and had a talk with her about that line. That was really bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You can support us on Patreon and get these shows with ads and plugs remove the Weight Keller Prosing podcast, Weight Keller Prossing post shows and the PW Torch daily cast throughout the week with ads and plugs Remove, plus a few bonus VIP shows throughout the month for just four dollars and ninety nine cents a month. Check it out patreon dot com slash PW torch VIP. That's Patreon dot com slash PW torch VIP and you can also upgrade to other tiers and receive even more benefits through Patreon.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's go to the phone lines here, and we got some people on the VIP Express line on hold. Our phone number is six four six seven to one nine A two eight. This is the PW Torch Live Cast. I am Wade Keller, editor and founder of Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter and PW torch dot Com, joined by Jason Powell of Pro Wrestling dot Net. Well, go to our first call. We'll go to VIP member Scott, and following him will be John and Matt. Let's click on the switchboard here to Scott. Welcome to the show. Uh, let's know what city you're calling from and what you want to talk about today.
Speaker 2: Hey wait, hey, Jason, it's Scott from James Berg, New Jersey. VIP member. How are you today?
Speaker 3: Doing great? Thanks for thanks for being a VIP member first and foremost, and for calling today.
Speaker 2: Of course, guys i've called in the past. When first, before I get going, Jason, I want to say it's pretty cool hearing you on the ten year audio flashbacks with the VIPA. It's been interesting hearing your some world reports and stuff be interesting and pretty cool.
Speaker 4: One of these days I have to actually go back and listen to that. I cringe when I see them because I'm always afraid of what I said. I still haven't been able to bring myself to push play, but one of these days I will.
Speaker 3: But thank you well you you and Steve Austin alike. He's like I did ever go back and listen to my own podcasts. Although Jason, you were ten years ago you were ripping on John Cena for a poopy joke that we had completely forgotten all of us. I think I had completely forgotten about so that you got that on your going for you another one there was There was actually at least a second time he did introduce the word poopy and it was just it was a review of SmackDown. It was just awful. This is for those who don't know. When Jason was working for the Torch, he did audio shows back in the day and we put up via vintage VIP audio shows from ten years ago throughout the week, and some of Jason's reviews are there, and yeah, yeah you were. You were all over John Cena for poopy Just like, why would he say that word? This is so lame, it's it's going to hurt his growth. It's been a broken record with him for ten years since.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: I know, Well, go ahead, Scott, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of the comment and then I have a question. First is my comment. Guys, I've called before and talked about the network with some of the struggles, and we talked about the ideas and Wade Jason. I'm not I want to get my hopes up. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really feel hopefully it looks like they're starting to do some interesting things. I enjoyed the Shield the Shield documentary last week on the network and the Monday Night wars War thing on Friday night. And I liked the idea of the nitros, like you were talking about Waite on the hotline this morning, the nitros one hundred hours of Nitro coming next week, and with the Attitude hour week, it looks like, hopefully from the fall, they're trying to make some good moves, and I wanted to hear what you guys thought about that first.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of stuff there out in Jason. I think they maybe they've been saving it up for the renewal time, you know, when a lot of the six month deals were coming up. We got Nitro coming back. We just got an email today from WWE touting the Monday Night War series they're pushing. But it'll be airing the Monday Net wore tonight, by the way, at nine to eighth Central, and it's a twenty episode original series documenting the epic television ratings battle. That's going to be fun. Jason, you were talking over the weekend about the on dot net. I guess it was ondott net weekly about the Shield documentary on the network. I mean, they really have been adding some content, and I think, you know, just in time. It's almost like they almost intentionally kind of went soft in the summer to kind of save it up for late Aufust early September.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, the strategy makes sense. I still there's not nearly enough now, but at least they're starting to add some of the things that in some cases people would convince themselves. They were promised like those old nitros, and I mean it was always thrown out there that it was going to be eventually those would be part of it. But I think some people just kind of convince themselves every raw and every Nitro was going to be there as soon as the thing launched. But they took a different approach, and yeah, it looks like they're starting to do a little bit more with it. I just hope that it's going to be a little more staggered now with different launch points, with the Europe still coming on board, because I don't want to feel like, Okay, nothing is going to happen for six months and then all of a sudden they'll drop new stuff on it. So at least this way, with Europe coming in a little I guess the United Kingdom coming in a little bit late, that should help with that a little bit, I would think, because they're going to still want to make a push to try to keep those subscribers as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited about the content they're adding and instead of thinking, well, you know, what should I watch from the archives kind of randomly, there's now more content there when I turn it on that I'm like, hey, this is new, this is worth watching and talking about and reviewing on the torch. So that's a positive. And I mean the nine nine nine thing to Jason, they cut back on that. I wish they had in because you know, my whole three through three VIP special strategies built around playing off the obnoxiousness of nine nine nine. But if they're not really obnoxious, then how can I be obnoxious? Ironically? Then I'm just going to be obnoxious without the irony And that's well.
Speaker 4: You could have T shirts made and give them the people in the front row that it looks like they did.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is true. Yes, it's amazing. They're selling nine ninety nine T shirts. So I'd like to know if anybody do.
Speaker 4: You think there are they actually do we know they're selling them? I mean, are people actually buying these or is just just hey, where are this? You're gonna be on camera?
Speaker 3: You know what? I'm not sure. Let's see WWE shop zone.
Speaker 4: They sell everything else. I guess it wouldn't shock me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's let's see if there's a nine nine nine T shirt featured right up front. Okay, at least it's not on the.
Speaker 4: Front page ninety nine, I'm guessing is how it's gonna go.
Speaker 3: Yep. Okay, so we got authentic T shirts. Let's go to the authentic T shirts category. Ooh, bad news is the first one. I guess they do this alphabetically. I don't look at this page very often. Sammy Zan T shirt is right there stealing the show no sign of nine nine to nine As I scroll down though, Op, we got three pages of T shirts. Well, I'll keep scrolling through and see believe Yeah, Hulk rules.
Speaker 4: Are you gonna do live commentary on all three pages?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I am, because I'm awesome. I'm almost done here. I'm there's Danny Bryant, Ultimate Warrior, Goldust and Kobe Rhads, Oh my god. And yes, yes that's No. Nine nine nine. So they're not for sale on shops owned as best I can tell right now. So that was that. By the way, that was what everybody got at Glens Into is live investigative reporting right there, live vestcative reporting. I was spout here a lot. That's why we are the live cast but not the pre tape cast, because he just right that live experience anyway, I you know, that's just derailed everything. I don't even know we're talking about oh yeah, nine nine nine, And then Networked they were less obnoxious about pushing nine nine nine. It's kind of become JBL's thing other than yeah, the merchandise and signs in the crowd.
Speaker 4: Do they want us to forget about the net Well, I mean, I guess not completely. For gigs, they're pushing all the new content, but I don't know if they want to push nine to ninety nine right now, because I know we've been looking at it, like, you know, August twenty fourth was kind of D day, but I looked at my account just to make sure it was going to roll over, and for me, it's September third, and I signed up on day one and I did I must have taken the free preview, but somehow they I think they added a little bit of time to it on top of that. Yeah, I don't know if they just figured, well, we gave some people five free days, so we're gonna give everybody five free days, because you know, there's obnoxious people out there who are like.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, somebody else got five three days. I want five three days. So I shouldn't call them anox. It's just you know, frugal people who want to be treated fairly all right anyway, take a pick, Yeah, whiners, you know, And in a way it's D Day, But I mean, ww ME never gave the impression that the big sign up day was a first day they won on sale. I think I think the big sign up day was probably five days before Mania and three days after Mania, and so I think we're probably at a position where we're gonna be looking at six weeks of D days because there's gonna there was a stretch of time where the first six hundred fifty some thousand subscribers were over a six week period, and I think they were pretty spread out. So the D Day for them is more like a D six weeks. It doesn't have quite the ring to it. But yeah, I mean the Nitral thing I think is big, and I think a lot of people are going to really enjoy reliving Nitro and the Moday Night Wars series is a good companionship and adding some more raw attitude eras shows to it is good. You know, this would be a good time to maybe call it Steve Boston and see if he can, you know, hype the network a little bit for you. But he's busy with a lot of other things, and you can find out what those things are by listening to my interview is Steve Boston for over two hours on Friday's webcast on the People with You Torch live cast feed. All right, let's go back to Scott s if he has anything else you wants to add. Scott anything else?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, guys, then thanks very much. And I'm gonna ask you, guys, while I have the two of you listening to the ten years ago audio, this question. I've always WANDEREDWSFL at the time. I always thought that they pushed the turn of Randy Orton ten years ago with Evolution, and I want to know, was there any reason why they did that whole thing? They gave him a one month title reign and then that was it with that annual, because I remember when the demise of Evolution, like I remember, I thought that Orton was at least like looking back at some of the old newsletters, lad, yeah, you could see that the original plan was to hold out to do Orton versus Triple eighth ch at WrestleMania twenty one, and I always wondered why they, you know, rushed to it and I know Batista got, you know, looking now looking like a comparison to twenty fourteen, you would hope that Roman reigns can organically get the kind of crowd response that Batista got, that that you know Rode from Survivor series till about you know till WrestleMania where he wanted the belt from helmstuff from Triple H. But you know, why did they do it the way they did and why was Orton only getting that one month rain. I will be listening to your response, guys. I enjoy all your works. Thank you for everything. Keep up the great work. And wait, I'm really looking forward to Nick Carr.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Scott. Sorry about that. I I prematurely cut you off what he was saying, I'm looking forward to mccarr. So, Scott, thank you for v if you membership again. And ten year old question, Jason Randy aren't ten years ago. I think they kind of rushed to give Hi the belt because they were a mattat rock Lesner and they wanted Randy to be a younger champion than Brock. I'm not sure they held the exact same version of the world title, but still Randy gets the claim of being the youngest world champion ever, and I know my thought at the time was this seems a little premature. We're all high on Randy in a lot of ways, but giving him the world title at times felt like they just did it just despite lesnar So Lesnard didn't hold that record anymore, but they weren't necessarily long term committed to him. And then Randy has had issues all along with being having issues with authority going back. I don't know all the details of his military situation, but he's got a rep for kind of having issues with authority. Sometimes it's good because he's outspoken in a way that I think the wrestling industry needs more of. Booker T and I talked about that on the Live cast a month or so back when he was a guest, how Booker was kind of the guy who would always peak up in the locker room and people would look to him when there was a controversial issue and see what he was going to say to kind of shake things up. And I hear through the grape vine a lot that Randy expresses himself to at least a certain inner circle of people, his frustrations with how things go sometimes. And then there's maturity issues, especially ten years ago with Randy and uttering stuff that upset management, that caused him to lose faith that he would be the model citizen and a model employed that John Cena began to emerge as being So I don't have a specific memory, Jason. Do you of that timeline though, and that exact situation with Orton?
Speaker 4: I don't recall, if memory serves, I think it was. It did feel it felt premature to put the title on Orton and premature to take the title off Orton. And I think a lot of people were looking at as well. Triple H got it right. It was at one of the deals where everyone was kind of pointing fingers at Triple H and him dominating everything at that time.
Speaker 3: The timeline is right, sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I mean if that's I don't know if it was something behind the scene, I don't believe there was. I think they just thought they could they could break Orton away and he'd be this hot baby face and Chase Mote or something. But it really other. Everyone remembers the thumbs down when Batista h when when Evolution turned on him. But aside from that, I mean, I it must not have gone well because I have a very faint recollection of all of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I think in a general sense, I think we kind of covered the you know, the politics and the disappointments at times with Orton that made them a little hesitant to just go all the way right with them on top.
Speaker 5: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me Jason Powell host him the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week, he'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at pro wrestling dot Net along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe an iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, let's let's keep her on the calls here the BP Express line in particular, and we'll go next to VIP member John and Erico three three six, John Knock, Let's know what city you're calling from and what you want to talk about today.
Speaker 6: Hey Wade, Hey Jason, this is John Collin from Greensboro, North Carolina.
Speaker 3: Hey, John, have you bumped into Bruce Mitchell at all recently?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I work at UNC Greensboro and I have seen him walking around campus here and there, but I haven't bumped into him in person for a while.
Speaker 3: So yeah, one day he takes his walkst.
Speaker 6: Got a couple of quick comments and then a question for you both. I wanted to give the let you guys know the reason why I am not subscribing to the ww network, and I thought, I don't know if others feel the same way, but you've talked a little bit in the past about the lack of programming and the original programming that I want to watch. It's more a vintage wrestling that I'm interested in seeing, and I would definitely be in favor of subscribing if they had, perhaps like a show that would feature a certain feud from different territories where I could catch up and see the promos and the matches. Every territory has memorable feuds, and some of them I never got to see. I never got to watch the AWA, never got to watch Mid South, and those are things that I would love to see if they had a program, But they don't really monetize or show us those old territory tapes yet and when they do, then perhaps I'll become a customer. But that's one thing, even as a longtime wrestling fan, that's what I want to see and they're not showing it, so I'm not going to be, as of yet a subscriber. So I just thought that was a point where they haven't heard me in the live past before.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's great that you say that. I hope it's heard, because you know, there's that there's the subscribers who are going to join up because they want the pay per views and WWE, and they're technologically savvy and ready to take on the latest technology, and that's the the big chunk of subscribers are going to get up front. But there's this long tail, you know, they call it the long tail in marketing and that kind of thing where there's a people who are not part of that initial group, but they need a lot of little things to get them excited about the product. And so there's gonna be like this long there's gonna be a lot of niches basically, and you're one of the niche people WWE. It seems Jason will throw to you on this it seems like they've not disregarded the niche people, but they haven't worked, I think, as hard as it's called for in order to make the niche people feel like what they want is a priority for WWE. It's like WWE wants the first eighty percent and they don't want to work particularly hard to get the other group. And maybe they think because they've maybe they think they've gotten ninety nine percent already, Jason, and it's not worth the effort. But I think maybe the long tail represents it's another forty percent of growth, But it doesn't come just as easy as flip in a switch and saying, watch our new pay per views.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't know what the hold up is and putting up some of the archive content other than you know, certain things like nitro raw. If it really was the strategy to wait until you know, the six month period, that that makes sense. But some of the older stuff, you know, they're not going to like have some big promotional package wrapped around all the AWA content now available. They'll just be kind of mentioned in passing along with something else they're doing that's going to that's going to appeal to a bigger audience. So why not get that material out there if if you're hoping for them to put kind of a modern spin on things, take a WrestleMania rewind approach to something from an old territory that that might be wishful thinking. I mean, I would enjoy it too, but I think there's probably a smaller audience. I mean, maybe you can reach out to some fans that way and get them to start checking out some of the older content. I don't know that they're going to see it as as time and money well spent to start repackaging some of the I don't like to take something from the UWF and turning it turn it into like a one hour, one hour piece of content with like comments from Jim Ross and Bill Watson, that kind of thing. I just don't know that we'll get that ever, but at least get that, at least get that the old television shows out there. There's no reason, in my opinion, for the whole But I don't know what they're waiting for.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've heard that it's tougher. It's tougher, more expensive and more time consuming than we realized to take this old footage and get it ready to air. And screen it to make sure that you know that the content is acceptable, the quality of the the quality of the content is what it needs to be in terms of picture quality and sound and all that. I if people got their hopes stuff that they were going to get, you know, a wrap around every episode of Mid South. I mean, yeah, that those expectations are too high, especially given the current subscriber levels, but I do think that they could have done more, if nothing else, just to communicate to people subscribers somehow, some way that there is a that there's going to be a method to this and that they will be catering to people who do want to see that history and are interested in that. And I just think they've left people kind of not sure when that's going to happen. There's some people want something so niche, so specialized that they just have to kind of be patient in WWE's deciding they're going to go after the bigger audience first and work their way to the niche audience. And if that's the case, well then it's going to be a slower climb. But eventually they're going to get the people who are part of that long tail with niche desires eventually they'll get them on board, and in a way, it might be good news for WWE that there's still people out there like you, John, who are waiting and will subscribe because they've got all they can handle right now. They feel they're doing things in the right order of priority, and it's just going to take them a little time to get to the long tail content instead of the big stuff that's going to get you one hundreds of thousands of people right out of the gate.
Speaker 6: Sure, and that would be happy simply with being able to watch the shows. Yeah, an order like Hey Camp. With Netflix, I can watch a show from season one, episode one, or whatever they have rights to and then watch them in order. If I could watch AWA in order, you're gonna because I got to watch a wa on ESPN, So that tells you, you know, I didn't see the good stuff, and I'd love to just see them in the original package. I don't need to wrap a rounds, I don't need a commentary, although that would be fun, but just putting him out there would be something that I would be interested in and I would maybe spend the money at that point. But until then, way do you get my money for a VIP members.
Speaker 3: So thank you, John, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Hi, You're welcome. I have one other quick comment and in a question that I can take off the air, but I just wanted to say that at first I didn't really care for Bo Dallas and but I watched him as many weeks ago now, but he rested I think it was Xavier Woods, and he won the match, and he got back in the ring and consoled him and told him that he was going to be a winner someday soon, and that to me was just so hilarious and that really, to me told the story of the character better than anything he had done so far. And since that time, I'm a fan of the Bo Dallas characters. So hopefully get continue to get some more airtime. But my question is, as you can tell, I'm a big fan of the old time territory wrestling what I grew up watching, and there are some things that you and Jason will often talk about that are missing now that maybe could be brought back, and I just wanted to bring up for them and see if you could only pick one, if you were in charge and you could make one happen, what would it be? And the things that I wrote down, were you know more use of managers, although that's happening a little bit. The after match interview oftentimes in the territory shows the person win the match, come down, talk to Gordon Soli or Bob Kyle or someone. But after the match. In other words, winning the match was your key to an interview, which I thought was always interesting. Time limits on the matches, and also squash matches, and just so you know, my pick would be squash matches. But i'll take your answer Offty. I appreciate everything you guys do. I love the show. Thanks a lot, Thank you very much. John, really appreciate it. Jason, I'll let you start managers, postmatch interviews, time limits on matches or squash matches.
Speaker 4: I think I know where you're going to go with this, and I lean that way as well. But it needs with squash matches, it would need to be limited. But I think there's certainly room for them. But I'll say managers just because so I don't just steal your thunder on this one. You know, I mean, Paul Haman's doing a great job. Not everyone can be Paul Hamon, but still I think there are various examples of wrestlers who would benefit from having a mouthpiece, and not just in WWE, I mean T and A. Maybe it might just be kind of the feeling is that they don't have a lot of money to spend and they're not going to spend it on mouthpieces right now. But I think they would really benefit. I think if they brought in the right manager or managers. Ideally, there are guys that really struggle on the mic in that company that I think would be over so much more if they had someone else doing the talking for them. So I'm a big believer in managers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know what, I'm god postmatch interviews is right there. I know. Prediction is I'm going to say squash matches because I think they're a real valuable tool. For reasons I've explained. It goes against kind of conventionalism. Who's gonna watch the squash match this era? And I've explained that many many times, so I won't now, but I strongly believe they're good. There's something that could be reintroduced, and I think people would actually enjoy them. I think if if WWE Network were to put Superstars back on the air, the nineteen eighty Superstars show or the AWA shows back when it was just squash match interview squash match interview. I think people who never really experienced it in a way that in a setting where it was really well featured would gain an appreciation for it, you know, just having a focus on one guy, his ring entrance, his key moves, his finisher, and the jobbers who are just these you know, pathetic whimps of people taking these great bumps and selling the hell out of these signature spots. It's part of the formula that I think makes pro wrestling work, which is building anticipation for guys who win squash matches finally facing each other. I get the realities of the different era we're in, but I think there's a way to make it work. But I love postmatch interviews and in WWE does it now, and then I wish they did it more. I think it's good to ask wrestlers to be in character and in the moment after they win a match or peck get a reaction sometimes after they lose, because I think it challenges them to break from script and not be superscripted when they talk and just react as if they're not just going through the motions of something they were told to do, but are kind of believing their own their own act, and they feel like what they did really was a loss or really was a win. I think a big part of what sells wrestling is the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, and sometimes that is missing. So all your suggestions are good. I guess time Lewis on matches would be my least the fourth on the list. But post match interviews, managers and squashes I think would all be good things to add back to the mix. All right, let's go next here on PW Torch Live cast to Matt VIP member Matt, thanks for colin. Let us know the city or Collins from today and what you want to talk about, Matt, Go ahead, Matt. I didn't go to Matt already, did I?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because it's Scott, Scott and John. So all right, let me try one more time here, Matt. Are you there?
Speaker 4: I'm on, Matt, put them put the controller down. I know it's Madden Day, but talk to us.
Speaker 3: What is Madden Day? I know, but go ahead, Jason.
Speaker 4: It is the release of the annual Madden Football Game from EA. Sports, and I personally have to hold out because I have my last fantasy draft on Saturday and it's my biggest one and if I go get Madden today, there's no way I'm going to get any kind of studying done for my draft. So Sunday is Madden Day for me.
Speaker 3: All right, very good. By the way, do you have a Super Bowl winner? Pick Jason? You want to go on record yet?
Speaker 4: Ask me next week. You know what, I've been so caught up in fantasy i haven't really thought about real football.
Speaker 3: That is a testament against fantasy football in a way that it's you are an NFL fan who has been too busy thinking about one aspect of the sport to think about what really the sport is all about.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is, But you know what, I think the NFL will take that because it's people like me who will suffer through like a Browns and Jaguars game if there's some fantasy interest, and you're right, non fantasy owners will do I'm not watching that nonsense.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're totally right. I'm just giving you a hard time, but it is. It is kind of funny where the fans have kind of been away taken the game and added over the last you know, however, many years now, ten fifteen years when it got really really popular, they've added this whole other dimension to the game, and it doesn't have to replace and enjoying the games. It might delay you studying the actual teams instead of the fantasy teams, but in the end you're gonna be watching more games because of it. So I mean, that's absolutely good.
Speaker 4: Definitely yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, let's let's go ahead and shift Chase into your your website and your membership and let people know why they should visit your website and why they should become members.
Speaker 4: Absolutely on the site right now.
Speaker 1: Thanks for downloading today's show. Take it to the next level with a VIP membership. Get shows like this the Waight Keller Prosing Podcast, Weaightkeller Prosing Post show, and the PW Torch daily casts on our PW Torch VIP podcast feed with ads and plugs removed from the show for a streamlined listening experience. And also hear the VIP exclusive shows that I host with Rich Fan and Todd Martin, Everything with Rich Fan and The Fix with Todd Martin, signature VIP series that you're missing out without a VIP membership. So go vip here in twenty twenty two and enjoy all the benefits, all the bonus content and the ad free listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go vip.
Speaker 3: Excellent. Let's go back to our discussion here on raw and phone calls and all that good stuff. Just a reminder Kamala tomorrow mickcarsh on Thursday. So keep listening every day to the p W Torch livecast, subscribing iTunes or on your Android device or your iPhone and show some support for us. If you have a moment, you can go to iTunes and give us a five star rating and a nice review for what we do here. It does help increase the rankings. We've been around so long as a show that we have a lot of listeners maybe three four years ago reviewed things at iTunes. But it can go when and if you're a newer listener or you just never got around to it'd be great if you did that. It does. It does actually help our exposure and help us grow when when you take time to do that. The iTunes formula recognizes when when we get good ratings and additional reviews. All right, let's let's shift gears now back to the full min So let's see what Eric codes six to six one has in store for us. Six six one. I don't think i've seen this aer code before. State your name in the city you're calling from.
Speaker 8: Hey, it's Dave from Columbus.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dave, thanks for Colin. What have you got for us today?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Hey, how was reading back in some more and some torches and this one? You said, the person who changed the Wikipedia page on the Chrispin Wah thing. You said it was most likely someone who who had a connection to a WWE employee privy to early info that pointed to the direction of the tragedy that might have involved Nancy's death. Then you go on to imply more or that since this person was known for vandalizing web pages, he also fixed Chavo Guerrero's web page with which had a bunch of Slanders stuff on it. So you even implied more. You said it's one in a hundred that it's a coincidence. So you agreed with me last time I called. Even in your newsletter you agreed with me. But then when I called last time, you were telling me it was conspiracy theories. You brought up the moon landing, you brought up JFK, and then you lied and said it didn't even happen, And here you are agreeing with me. You're caught.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, replied, all right, thanks, Dave. I appreciate your calling the show again. I don't I don't even know what Jason you want anything. No, go ahead with I Honestly, I don't even I don't even know what Dave is asking. He calls up angry time every every once in a while, and I'm glad he's reading back issues of The Torch, I guess, and reading up on the Benwa situation.
Speaker 4: Way he took you up on that because you know you did tell him, you know, hey, yeah, well you can discuss this once you've gone back and read what was written at that time. So I'll give him credit for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I give Dave credit for that, I guess, Dave. I'm just I'm not quite sure what your specific question for me is or what you think that I owe you in terms of a further explanation. You've from the beginning, it seems like you've got something in your mind that you think has been underreported or that you think has been through some motivation that I don't understand, covered up or forgotten about. So yeah, let me know what.
Speaker 8: Maybe if you would mute me, we could talk about it.
Speaker 3: You're not mute to Dave, So I just threw back to you after Jason and I talked. But honestly, it's that kind of approach that just I don't have interest in talking to you. I'm sorry, We'll just move on. Erico do two oh two. Welcome to the show. Please state your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 10: Hey, how's it going on?
Speaker 3: Brothers?
Speaker 10: This is Anthony from Washington, DC.
Speaker 3: Anthony, you go. You talk about long time listeners, you are one of them. Thanks for calling back.
Speaker 10: Not a problem. So I'm looking at an article of Day. I'm sorry the source of the article, but they're basically comparing how today's TV watcher likes to use the DVR you know system a lot, and they you know, I'm down from drama.
Speaker 3: The sports and you know, oh yeah, it's.
Speaker 10: The sports thing. And they was talking about how like it's been like an uptake you people like you know, DVR and like we wrestling, it's like up like somewhere like around seven or eight percent. So I was wondering how much does that play the role into the to the network itself and also the TV deal that the devil has right now?
Speaker 3: Uh, Jason, I saw that. I saw a chart that represented, you know, sports is like a last bashood of people watching live. We're just talking about fantasy football being a big deal, Anthony, don't be offended. I will be putting you on whole briefly. Well, Jason, then I talked to avoid background noise. I do that with just about a recaller, Jason. Fantasy football is and sports in general, one of the reasons that people watch the NFL live, and that means fitting through commercials. WWE has tried a lot of different things to try to be live programming, you know, or come across with live programming. It didn't result in a big the big uptick or as big of an uptick in TV rights fees as they wanted. But we are, I mean, we are in a changing landscape in WWB network with programming on demand where you can watch it live or on delay, does seem to be the formula for the future. And pro wrestling is kind of in this middle zone of you need to watch it live, but you could also get away with watching it on delay.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's I think that's one of the big issues with the three hour format. I mean, SmackDown is definitely not muscy live material.
Speaker 3: Raw it.
Speaker 4: There's times when it feels like it, you know, to a certain audience. I'm sure there are some people that consider themselves diehard fans that just record the show every week, even if it is two hours. But by and large, I think when it's three hours, you just make it easier for people to make the decision to go ahead, hit the DVR, start watching it an hour in even skipboard, you know, fast forward through some of the stuff you don't want to see, or even the next day where you just kind of cherry pick, Okay, I read this was good whatever. So I mean it's, yeah, it's live, but I think they need to do more just that. When the product is clicking, I think then it feels like it's must see live material. When it's a show like Last Night, I mean, you never know what you're gonna get. But still it's just when they're when there's shows like that, if you're kind of in a slump, then I think for a lot of people they just start to feel like, eh, I can catch this on the DVR and we'll probably see a lot of that coming up now with football season.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh definitely, I mean that's it's a great thing. I mean, we grew up without that, Jason, you had to kind of pick and choose or try to figure out how to get your VDR hooked up to record one thing to watch another. And it's a it's a better era now, Anthony, do you want to follow up on that or ask any kind of specific questions?
Speaker 10: Yeah, on one more thing about last night's show, I it was kind of ironic to see Hawk Cogan out there, and you know it's not saying it. The reason that is ironic because if you look at that must control as the fact that they does Johnson have a similar type of control? Reason I expect could you also blame him or like you know this the pleasant ship him coming back to Superman as you know, prepared to being beaten down after brock Less.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Jason, No, I don't clearly last night was he was scripted to be that way, and until I hear John Cena was they wanted him to show all this weakness and he refused and I'm just not gonna buy it. I mean, he was clearly scripted in both of the matches that he was in to be dominant, and it's not. It's not like he walked up there with the legends sitting there and just went off script. So now, I mean that's just the whoever made the decision, how much influence he had on that, you know, who knows. But I don't think you can just say it's all John Cena's fault that. I don't look at it that way at all. I just think this is the way he was written on Monday Night.
Speaker 3: Now, another interesting note on that is is last week Paul Hayman announced in quarter Hour number five with a live ring promo, Johnsen is not here. I don't know if I'm supposed to reveal it, but Johnsen is not here today. And the rating never got back to that level that was the peak rating of the show, and maybe wwe just kind of panicked, going well, yeah, there's the right story to tell to make money, you know, to sell the rematch. But there's the story that we're desperate to tell, which is, don't worry John Cena fans. Johnsen is okay, He's here. He's happy. It's a feel good show. Please tune in and watch us. And John Cen is still okay. Like I wonder if Jason, if they didn't kind of know that. Yeah, if it was nineteen seventy eight, they would have done things differently. But in this TV ratings driven era, they the John Cena fans just want to see John Cena happy and healthy, and maybe they just kind of fast forward past that chapter for that reason.
Speaker 4: Man, that could be. I don't know what the motivation was last week, and that Paul Hammon and Lesner segment even say that, I don't are they worried? It's the people are going to be bitter if they go through a whole show and he's not there. Why tell people at that point? I think you said the fifth quarter hours, so just you know, just into the second hour of the show. What per does that serve?
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, I was kind of surprised by that, and I don't have an answer to it. Let's uh, Anthony, thanks for the calls. Oh it's good hear from you. Let's go to an email question here. This is Alan g who says, is there any room for a new or existing promotion to focus on shoot style wrestling. The matches I enjoyed most looked like real competition, such as what we just talked about Jason Lesnard against Sena, not gymnastic spotfests. Is there a room, Jason for a promotion to have a niche that isn't, as we as Alan put it, gymnastics spotfest, but rather something that feels and looks more real. I wrote a column about this a few years ago at the peak of USB, saying, you know, there's room here for promotion to present itself like a real sport with a straight face. You don't have to pretend after you're off the air, you know, when if you're doing a media interview with you know, multi channel news or something or variety, that it's not a work, you know. I remember TAZ and a variety of wrestles in ECW when they went on pay per view. I wanted people to think their wrestling was real, and I was just like, that's an uphill that You've got a strong headwind trying to do that for so many reasons, but when they're trying to get on pay per vi they wanted people to think they were actually real. Unlike the two big promotions in the midst of the Monday Night War. I don't think that'll work, but I think in the context of the show Jason, there's maybe room for a niche promotion that goes much more straightforward sport. I mean some would say Ring of von or hit some of that, although that has a lot of the quote gymnastics spots as as part of it. Two.
Speaker 4: I would love to see TNA take that approach. I mean, it's some of the more memorable matches just in the United States in recent years. You have the scene of Lesner matches you have and this goes back a little ways now, but Samoa Joe and Kern Angle was very well received their first match as well, and those are those kind of hard hitting matches with I guess minus the gymnastics. I don't know that TNA has the roster for it right now, and it may take some time for if a promotion were to do this, to find that roster, because it's just I don't know that you really see that taught in too many school I think it would take some time, but I think people could. I think they could, they could at least make the shift to that right now. I would prefer that over kind of the WWE Light Slash ECW throwback, whatever it is they're going for right now. I'd really like to see someone try this and just take yeah, a good physical approach to pro wrestling, and especially you know, not the tongue in cheek and everything. You know, you know, we got to remind you that we know it's all sports entertainment silliness. Now, I just actually play it straight for the two hours you're on the air each week. I think it would be great, and I think they'd be shocked at at how well it would be received.
Speaker 3: The A lot of people think the peak moment in TNA was the Samo Joe Kurt angle match. Yeah, and it did well for for t and an pay per. It did well, and then they moved away from it. And I just think TNA's been kind of the victim, and this is the case in WW sometimes too. It's been the victim of whoever was most interested in gaining political favor with whoever was in charge, especially Dixie Carter in recent years. Whatever their specialty was is what they would convince her was the right direction to go in, because nobody's going to tell their boss the best thing for you to do is something I'm incapable of doing if you're a wrestler. So the people who had the power have always kind of pushed Dixie to promote a wrestling in a way that made them the most valuable. And nobody with power is going to have I shouldn't say never ever, but people with power generally are not going to present a whole new approach to wrestling because the reason that they have power is they've done they're good at something that has been done before, and that's been the catch of not having a visionary student of history with a vision for where it could go that's new. When you don't have that in the number two or number three promotion, then you don't end up getting a fresh outlook. You don't get a fresh approach that maybe has a chance to really explode in a new way. What you get is what TNA Jason has always been. It's been WW Light or WW nostalgia trying to go back in time and relive Nitro, or it's been WWE Light trying to get Christian and the Dudley's and Kurt Angle and Hulkoge and Eric Bischoff, and it's it's always like Wow, you know, if we can just come across like we're either you know, old WW or we're just another WWE show and you just stumbled upon another WW show you didn't know existed. Because look, here's all these ex WWE stars that you wondered where they went. Just tune in and watch us. They never just established that identity like Paul Hayman talked about. So I do think there's room for it, but I think there's also room for the gymnastics spotfest style too, you know, as a niche of a promotion that has an identity. Jason, I was really intrigued with Paul Hayman's comments a couple of weeks back where he talked in more detail about the idea he presented to TNA about doing a very youth oriented product. And I don't know if that included a very strict, narrow style that would stand out, or if you want to do something youth oriented, but that had a wide array of styles. But you know, Paul's one of those guys who would have shaken things up, and he would be the guy probably with a vision for change, because as you've talked a lot about too on your Members Show audio shows, Paul doesn't. He's not a guy likes to look back and just you know, relive ECW. It's not something he likes to talk a lot about, or think about or analyze. He likes to move forward and come up with the next big thing.
Speaker 11: I'm Chris Maitland and I'm Justin mcclellands.
Speaker 12: We host Wrestling Coast to Coast, where we scour the wrestling scene to find the best wrestling from the smallest places.
Speaker 11: There are thousands of matches happening every week, so Wrestling Coast to Coast is here to discover the men and women who could be big time stars in a few years.
Speaker 12: There are plenty of podcasts to voters at w W and AW, but what's happening in the armories and gymnasiums local wrestling hotspots around the country.
Speaker 11: We can't wait to help you find the true hidden gems of the wrestling world. Plus, you can hear Chris complain about bad referees.
Speaker 12: And Justin bemoaning dog pal fins.
Speaker 11: Don't forget my feudal search to see a blue thunderbomb whin I'm mat.
Speaker 12: How can I like the name? Says We cover the hottest independent promotions from around the country, so it as Prestige Action, West Coast, Pro, Revolver, and Beyond Wrestling.
Speaker 11: Actually, Chris, I think we stick pretty much to wrestling.
Speaker 12: No, I mean Beyond Wrestling out of Worcester, Oh right. Our show's part of the PW Torch Daily Cast lineup and typically drops on Thursdays. Search PW Torch in your podcast app, as subscribed to the PW Torch Daily Cast, or stream our shows directly from PW touch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torchdailycast lineup at PW Touchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I know at the time when we was talking with Dixie, the idea was basically they had all those legends there at the time, and the idea was to keep one. And I don't know who the one is, but it was to keep one with the idea that that way the person stands out and means something rather than having all these guys that when you say every week and there's just one after another, it's just like, how how many old guys do you need? Talking? And Yeah, and getting back to the whole like the X division style, I'm convinced that it's not even so much that it has to be MMA style straight up. You know, every match is like that, Like you're saying, I also think there's room. It's just the concept of going two hours every Thursday night or Wednesday night now, I guess for impact and just treating it like it's a sport, not abandoned the silliness. And hey, I get a kick out of Rockstar Spud too, And it doesn't mean there can't be a place for him to be funny and in different ways, but just some of the skits and the backstage cameras and just take a different approach, and I really think it would pay off.
Speaker 3: Allen also wants to know why does Page do headbutts terribly? Her head butt her head barely moves downward, and her hair can't hide the huge space between her head and her opponents. She's a good wrestler and she should know better, as should WWWE personnel.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't notice that last night. The one that the ones that jumped out to me were the Russet kicks. Those were awful.
Speaker 3: What filled out to me is is the well, the oh what was it? The sweat Roman reigns being swunk into the ring post and there was one other move that, Oh, the Superman punch at the end too, didn't look good. The Superman punch is tough because you know, WWE puts a lot of thought into the camera angles they use for different moves. I mean, there's a lot more that goes into that than I think the average viewer realizes they really placed the camera in the right spot to hide things, and then if it looks good, they'll show her replay from a new angle and rains of Superman punches, and they're coming from all different directions. A lot of times can look weak if they don't get quite the right direction. Although, speaking of which, Jason, the thing that kind of scared me the most was the cinder block. Have we seen the last cinder block being thrown into a ring post and shattering? I hope?
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why did they I mean, why didn't they just when they had when they did that angle with Ambrose? Why didn't they just use a real cinder block? Do we need to see it break? Wouldn't it be more impressive if they didn't break?
Speaker 3: I guess people know center blocks break when thrown hard by a really strong muscular wrestler into a You know Metal post. I it was sort of like the Nikki Bella comment about I wish you died in the womb. I'm just wondering if that was even I guess it had to have been meant to happen. I don't think rains would be thrown that stuff around. But I just regardless of whether they should have done it or not in terms of showing that it shatters upon impact on metal, I just who didn't see the possibility that maybe this is a safety concern. I mean, Cole seemed genuinely concerned for Lawler when he asked if he was okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean well, I just when I first saw the ambush thing, it didn't really even bother me that much. But there were just so many people that were mocking the thing. They had to be aware that people were looked at the cinder blocks from a week from the first angle and just thought these are silly and they look weak, and don't go there again, and they just felt the need to come out and show you one more time, all right.
Speaker 3: VFP member Matt called back on the VFP Express Line. Matt, welcome back to the show or welcome to the show. What have you got for us today and can you hear me again?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: We can though, yep.
Speaker 7: Oh cool, I don't know what that was about. Damn com from Charcotte Today.
Speaker 3: Oh okay cool?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What have you got from?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, I agree with you guys. I thought Nicki was great last night, like Breeze still terrible, but when they gave Nicky some time because she was out there for a while, I thought she really lit it up and did a good job. And I thought amber smissing was was definitely felt on that show like I don't have any I don't feel like they have that Daniel Briant seen Ambrose m punk type of guy that the crowd is like really cheering right now. But anyhow, on on Brain, how do you think it's going to pan out between now and Wrestlemandi if they try and follow through with uh, you know every week we see rock Lestern and giving these off and interviews and rock Lesters pusing these off the matches and brains is kind of like floundering on the mic and like working really hard to have a two star match and if things keep me, I just feel like five time Wrestleman he comes around, Uh, he's just gonna get food hard, especially with the King of Bryan comes back. The neighbors keeps continuing with the following level work because I just I don't know. I just think when Rains gets that point, if they they follow through it, they brock Lesards just doing these awesome performance as a team, and he's that crowd get a turn off and I want to get your guy on that.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, I mean, Jason, are you any more or less confident and rains his ability to be the guy that fans want to see win the Rumble If if it comes to that.
Speaker 4: They're gonna have to book that very carefully, or I mean, if if that match for coming up next month, but obviously that's the key is well, let's see how they they move him along between now and then. I think there's out there are already some hardcore fans who've decided that that's not who they want to see it WrestleMania. I don't see it with the masses just yet, though. I mean, the masses seem like they're still behind Roman reigns, so it's it's not like gets just a complete lost cause. That said, the progression has been slow enough that I would have a fallback plan as I talked about with Bruce Mitchell last week on this show. I wouldn't I wouldn't scrap the plan for Rains right now, but I wouldn't be afraid to call an audible in January either. If it just he's not ready, We're worried about this. We think the fans like you know this guy or that guy more, I would at least be open to the idea of sitting down and discussing is this the best move right now for us in January? If I were in their shoes, Matt, you had to follow up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know if she was last night. I was actually surprised. But after he did the whole cerebal facina as I talked about, Rains played his arms up and there is that. There was definitely some audible too at that moment.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, celebration. I'm not saying Rains isn't. I'm not saying Rains is in trouble, but he's because Sason said, there's plenty of time left, but he's not at a rapid rate. Eating the inherent and understandable concern anybody would have when someone has chosen this early in his career in this early in his establishing a rapport with fans, that he's been chosen to be the top guy before the fans choose him, there's gonna be a reason for worry and concern. And that's that's I just he's not I write I talked about on the Keller Hotline in more detail, and I talked with Steve Austin about it last Friday. It there's things he needs to do to connect with the crowd more, and he The good news is, as Austin said last Friday here on the live cast there, he spent time with Roman Reigns off camera, and Roman has it in him. You know that he's a funny guy and he's got charisma. I pointed out a very specific situation on TV recently with Steve where I thought Roman showed a side of himself for not seeing enough of that. If he shows more that, I think he'll connect with the fans. But it's it could be a bumpy road and it's going to be a learning experience. It'll be fascinating to watch. Anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know you guys probably want to say it, but I think that I think if they need to pull the plug on having him defeat Pleasure at Mane. I don't think he's gonna get there in time. I think, like, if you think there guys got it and you want to protect him, give him another year to develop and lets the crowd really next to him and you know, follow in love with who he is as a character and make them want it, because right now I think people feel like I see what's coming and I'm not like it. But if they didn't pull the plugs on it, which I just don't, I just don't see him get there. If he has something special, save it, you know, like they used it. You only have one shot. If he goes to Wrestlemani and that kind boos them, he's gonna have a tough tough time covering from that rest of his career, you know, to get back and get back.
Speaker 3: In the saddles.
Speaker 7: But I did just pull on it. Uh, who would you guys? Who do you think this might be able to fill that spot? The Ambrose Daniel Bryan, who do you think might be they might be able to push in there. Maybe if you want to pull back on Breens give another year to develop, I think they could.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean those are the guys that come to mind right away, Jason, you know, Dean Ambrose and Daniel Bryan. I mean that's part of the conundrum with Roman Reins is if not him, who you know, do you just do Sina versus Lesnar in a third match at Mania?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What what options do they have? I just wasn't it. Was it last Tuesday, Jason, you and Bruce kind of talked about the pros and cons of either going all out with Rains or pulling back a little. We did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, and I'll add not that I want to see it, and I don't think you can now that they're going to it already. You had it not you could have built Sena Lesner up. And the only reason I bring that up is that we all know that's a bench McMahon fallback plan, you know, win and doubt, go with John Cena, and the other one that jumps out at me is a possibility. It was kind of there was. There were some rumors about it, and I don't know that anything ever, I don't know how valid the rumors turned out to be. But if they do have access to the rock, I mean, it doesn't set you up, obviously with your next next big Star, but if they feel like the WrestleMania Network subscription push is more important at that point, Rock versus Legendar is a pretty marquee matchup, and we know they wanted to go there with Wressele Nanny already.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true. I've been told and I just my gut also would tell me lean against Rock coming back to the ring for thirty one, and it sounds like that's not likely. I wouldn't say it's impossible. I think there's I mean, if Rains doesn't get over Jason, then we might see an acceleration of trying to do some of the ideas that I talked about over the weekend on the VP Weight Teller Hotline in terms of how to incorporate Sting and Hulk Hogan and John Cena and Steve Austin and I think had some other legend in the mix. You know, there's these kind of wild cards that you can play, and I went over a bunch of scenarios for VFP members about that. I mean, they could end up with a week's show relatively speaking for us Mania among their core, main full time guys, and they might have to, you know, sweeten it up with some legends and kind of legacy stars to try to create some novel matchups to sell it. But their go right now is to go with Rains, and I think they just see him there. It's not a slow build in the sense that they're giving him three years. But I think they're not panicking yet and there is time to make adjustments. And I'm not quite as pessimistic as Matt that they can't correct I won't say correct course, but just you know, have him find his way in his connection with the crowd, because there is something there that I also, you know, I agree is worth looking at and investing in. What do you think they're react What do you think the thoughts on Rains would be right now if word hadn't kind of gotten out that he was the guy, would there be more of a push what I think, my personal guess would be less skepticision. But do you think some of the people, the hardcore fan would be rallying behind him more ago and they got to do more with Rains Randy Orton, But we need to see more with Rains.
Speaker 4: What are they doing?
Speaker 3: You know, I go back to this all the time. I don't think when you're in a building with eight twelve, fifteen thousand people that if you pulled those people that they are not real that they're even aware that Rains is the chosen one. I just don't think more than three four, five, six, seven eight percent of the audience is because as a lot of people who attend WW shows, a lot of people millions and millions and millions watch raw and the percentage wise they're just not studying websites and listening to podcasts at a number that I think would be noticeable if so. My point is, if Rains was connecting with the crowd, he has had every chance to do it, regardless of whether word got out or not. Like I just I think when you live in the insider wrestling information bubble, in a sense, you think everybody is privy to that or it's everyone's processing it, Like, oh, I'd be more into Rains, but I didn't think he's being you know, pushed hard at us and we're being told to cheer him. I just think that stuff happens more organically and out out of the realm of podcasts, newsletters and websites and apps. So my thinking is, regardless of word getting out, that Rains is a guy. His reaction that he gets in live buildings has to do with his connection with the crowd that night and on television in previous weeks, a lot more than information leaking from behind the scenes, way way more so, it's up to Rains to go on TV and get that crowd reaction.
Speaker 1: Anytime you're watching WWE Raw or SmackDown or aw Dynamite in particular, send us an email if you've got thoughts on the show or a topic you want us to address or a question for us. Wadekellor Podcast at pwtorch dot com. Wadkeller Podcast at pewtorch dot com. If there's anything else going on in pro wrestling that you want us to address on our main podcast during our mailbank segments, that same email applies Wadekeller Podcast at pwtorch dot com. We invite that interaction, let us know what you think of what we're saying, and let us know what you want us to talk about and ask us specific questions. Wadekeller Podcast at pw torch dot com.
Speaker 4: So it does, and you know, I can speak to that a little bit because just last night at the Fantasy Draft that I was at a friend of mine who's a casual WWE fan. He you know, he was just kind of catching up on things he watches. He's a fan of Brock lessoners. He'll watch there and then certain guys, but he's just been kind of on and off with the product lately. He had no idea. Rains was, you know, the Mania guy where he was wondering, I can't remember what match he threw out and was like, no, the plan is you know, Rains and Brock, and his eyes lit up like, oh, I like that. So I mean, there's one casual viewer right there, and I'm with you. I believe there are many more that don't know he's the guy and just are enjoying watching him right now, wondering what happens next with him. They may not even be looking at him challenging Brock right now. But if the build is good enough, you know, obviously that's the key, is if the build is good enough. As far as the rumble, it last year was tricky. They were in Pittsburgh and my first thought on it was, oh, it's you know, it's the crowd there. It was just a Pittsburgh crowd. But it wasn't you know, after talking with people who attended to show, we would hear from some people that said no, it was a lot of people traveled for the Rumble. And the reason I bring that up is because it felt it had kind of a mania feel to it. I don't know exactly if we'll get that this year. If you're going to have that, I can't even remember off the time my head where the Royal Rumble is at, but I don't know that you're going to get that hardcore fan traveling all over the place. I mean East Coast is a little more convenient for those fans. And without remembering off the top of my head where the Rumble is this year, I don't know that you'll get it. But if they are worried about it, I want to approach it. I came up with if they want Rains to be the guy, but they're worried about the backlash, make the last two guys, Roman Reigns and John Cena. I mean, you run, you know, and you do run the risk of the fans just boo the hell out of both of them. But I really don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you know what, and it's by the way, it's gonna be in Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Ooh, God, forget everything I just said. Oh, that's even worse.
Speaker 3: What are they thinking? I know, I know, it's gonna be fascinating how they manage, how they manage things. I the Roman reigns is going to well. The reason I'm so many of the three things I want to say at once, and I've just got to pick one. Daniel Bryan. The thought behind the scenes in WWE is, Oh, he's popular because of the Internet. But it's just these Apparently they think Internet fans can scream ten times louder than anybody else can, and that they're populate the crowds enough that this isn't real. It's a mirage. He's not over with the actual fan base. It's just this group of people starting. Yes, Chance, and it's fun to chance. Yes. So the internet fans who love him but aren't big enough to really support our company are huge company. They're starting the s Chance, and then the mainstream fans that make up ninety percent of our audience. They don't really like Daniel Brian and see him as a top guy, but they're all chanting along because it's fun. And that's why they tried to prove that when they tried to glone. The shifted the yes chance to Daniel to Big Show, and it flopped people that are like, I'm not chanting yes for Big Show last fall. And then you know, even Stephanie's kind of doing it with her things Steph' best Steph. And they've been other instances of it. It just wrestlers get over in crowds of five, ten, fifteen thousand people, not because of anything the Internet says. And I'm saying that as somebody who's made a living off of quote the Internet, so to speak, and before that, you know, dirt sheets, going back to the late eighties. That's been my career, and I've consistently downplayed our influence on crowds of ten or fifteen thousand people. I think sometimes we're the canary and the coal mine. I think sometimes people who study the industry really closely and aren't in the wrestling bubble where the people in power say things that everybody nods along and says yes. I don't dare disagree with you, because that would be bad for my career. I think people get in that or insulate themselves from any different opinions. We're not in there, Jason. We get differing opinions. We get, you know, yelled at and called out a lot for our opinions, and people don't fear doing so. And so I just I think if Roman Reigns is ready to be the headliner at WrestleMania wwe should have nothing to fear about the Philadelphia crowd. And it has nothing to do with Internet fans. It has to do with the way they promote them and present them and what Roman Reigns is able to do to connect to the crowd. And again, I'll just I'll point to you and Bruce last week on the live cast if you want to hear more on it, and I'll point you to my discussion with Steve Austin, who's around Roman Reigns last week in LA And I just encourage you to check out those two conversations two from more on it. Trust me, we're gonna have a lot more to say every week, probably about Roman Rags as we go forward. Let's try to get in a couple more calls here. We'll go to Eric go two five six. This is Alabama, I believe, Please state your name in the city you're calling from.
Speaker 10: All right, this is Shawn from gas and Alabama.
Speaker 3: From where I'm sorry.
Speaker 13: Gas in Alabama.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, Yeah, what have you got for us?
Speaker 4: I'll just joined in. What'd y'all think.
Speaker 3: About the Jeff Hardy.
Speaker 7: Promo this show? They have to find that he's gonna final with him again.
Speaker 3: That is an intriguing question, Jason. I was like, I've been an advocate for WWW bringing Jeff Hardy back if they do their due diligence and everything's fine in terms of if you want to spark business. And I talked about this on the Keller headline last night for VFT members after Raw. Jeff Hardy's a guy one of the very few people at WWE could sign who would make a difference, who can also work house shows and make a difference in ticket sales, and he can sell merchandise, and he can work pay per views, and you can do a money match with him. I think Jeff Hardy against bray Wider, Jeff Hardy against Seth Rollins even feels WrestleMania worthy to me if they did the right thing with Jeff Hardy, and so I was intrigued by that. It felt a little random. What's your take on promoting the Jeff Hardy thing on the network.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it does feel rang. I think this is going to come up anytime they do something like that. His deal, don't. I can't even tell you what year it expires. It probably this year, but I don't know. And it's either he either debuted with them. It was either the January or the Mark Show when they tried to go head to head with WWE. I was talking with the January. Yeah, then that was what somebody else guessed earlier today when I was talking with him about it. So if the contract comes up and he already knows okay T and I's not gonna be able to afford me, or he just wants to change of pace a little more security, whatever, they should jump all over it. Absolutely. I know he'll probably. I don't know how the strike system works. Does he lose a strike now because enough time has passed? And in his case, I mean, I think Jeff Hardy's in a much better place, clearly, and that's awesome, but he's been gone from the company. That's one where I would disagree with taking a strike away. If you're active with the company and you're passing all their drug tests and all that, great, but if you just disappear and go somewhere else. Should you really have a strike taken off?
Speaker 3: Well, you should have a strike taken off if they want to invest in him and not feel like total hypocrites. If he fails a test and he's in a big Brestlemania match and they don't want to take him off the show.
Speaker 4: Well that's just it from their perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm being pragmatic on their sake. Of course they're going to rationalize taking a strike away. Should they know, But there's a lot of things that their wellness policy should include that it doesn't, which is more transparency. And I mean seriously, I mean, what, when's the last time there was any kind of wellness news. I mean, it's it's been the pattern. You you covered WWE long enough, and you realize they pay attention to that kind of thing when there's media scrutiny and when there isn't, they don't, or government scrutiny or congressional scrutiny, and when there isn't, they don't. And it's been a pattern in WAVES for twenty five years, and that we're in that pattern right now. So I honestly don't even know that it would cross their minds when bringing him in to even be worried about hypocrisy and taking a strike away because that policy is is they have a lot of latitude on how they execute and interpret it.
Speaker 4: And quite frankly, if I were them and they brought him in, they put him in a high position and he failed again, I'd want to be doing with them anyway. I mean it's just oh right, oh true, Yeah, but you'd want to be done with him the day after Mania, not not on long week before Mania, you know. And I'm not particularly worried about that with yeah, I mean, of course, well I am. If they put him back on the road full time, I don't even know if that he would agree to that. I'd be surprised if he would. I think he's got the taste of kind of the good life, just with a little bit more of a reduce schedule in TNA. And there have been times where I know he's you know, people who were on the road with him were saying he's doing as much as ever. You know that people had worked for both companies said he was out there constantly. But this is back what he was having a lot of issues too, And it seems obviously nowadays they're just not running as many shows. But you know, with the young daughter, and who knows what he would be interested in. But he's a guy where you know, obviously you push to get him on the road, you push to get what you can if you're WWE. But if he wants to reduce schedule, he's a guy.
Speaker 3: Give it to and and you know, if you could give him the Jericho schedule where he works full time but in stretches and then there's time off, and that's I've always advocated to.
Speaker 2: So I like it.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite sure to make of it. He's a top star for TNA. WWB clearly doesn't hear TNA at this point. I can talk more about TNA and the VFP after show, but yeah, I mean I've.
Speaker 4: Heard, and Kurt Angle is just on their website, you know, and there have been all sorts of I've heard it and others have as well that you know, they he was told they're not interested at this time. Now that obviously could change, and it might even be because he's still under TNA contract and they're not interested in this time. But I think anytime something like this happens, people are gonna automatically wonder just mean he's coming back and you know it's part of the fun, but I don't think it always does. All right, let's go to Eric code eighth five, California. Whoa eight o five A lot of background, nooids are sorry, Please state your name in the city you're calling from.
Speaker 14: Oh guy, my name is so zao Coniff, California.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jose, what have you got for Jason to me today?
Speaker 14: I think it's fine that the WWE goes back to the attitude with Dan as What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: What do you think the attitude era consists of?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: It that they don't do now?
Speaker 14: Well, a little Dean Ambrose has that attitude in on, you know, and that's that's right.
Speaker 3: But but he's but but Hose he is. You're you're citing something that is on TV now, So what do you want that isn't on TV now? Because you're kind of I'm not I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just trying to hone in on what you mean because you're saying I like Dean Ambrose because it reminds me of the Attitude era. They should go back to it. But they have gone back to it because Dean Ambrose is part of the product right now.
Speaker 14: Yeah, No, yes, a little bit there. No, I'm not not Gina a little bit more X rated like Operative.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're They're on USA Network and they have they have John Cena merchandise and kmarts and toys, r US displays. You're not going to see Sable, it's not gonna happen. You're not going to see Uh, You're not going to see X. You're not gonna see a live sex show with Edgendleda. You're not going to see X Pac and Tory and kne And I mean, it's just that's literally not going to happen and so not worth the trade off of losing all their mainstream corporate sponsors that they've worked ten years to earn. The trust of it. What you're going to see cinderblocks, and you're going to see innuendo, and you're going to see crazy characters that you like, like Dean Ambrose, but you're not You're just you're not going to see pasties on breasts and simulated sex acts. That's not going to happen. And frankly, I think the reason people miss the Attitude era is because Stone Cold, Steve Austin and the Rock and DX were awesome at what they did. And the way to bring that back to the Attitude Era or the part of it that made the most the part of the Attitude Era that I think was was the main reason people really really liked that era is because of the top stars and the moment in time in the Monday Night War. Jason, your thoughts that you nailed it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just it's not going to happen. It's just not worth spending too much time to discuss because they're not going to while they're a publicly traded company and they have corporate sponsors that want them to do business a certain way, and you're not going to run the risk of losing all these high paying sponsors and hoping you can replace them, because it quite frankly, you're just not going to. I mean, they're the most you can hope for is when they every year around Wrestle Anya time, it seems like they push the envelope. E. Bench has even talked about going into PG thirteen territory, and I'm fine with that. I Mean, I enjoyed the Attitude Air as much as anybody but to see a shift like that today, the world has changed too. When you and maybe some of it just it's T and a. But when you see T and A kind of do some risk ay things more often than not. As somebody who lived through the Attitude era, when I see it now, it feels trashy. And maybe it was back then a little bit, but culture was different. Jerry Springer was red hot. It's just things have changed so much since then.
Speaker 3: No great point. I mean it there when I go back and watch some old ros now and then from the Attitude era, there are parts of it that are awesome, and there are art of it, like you said, that are trashy, tawdry, low class, muddy. I feel dirty afterwards. It's not a you know, I mean, that's the worst of it. But that was there. You're not gonna see ww is just not gonna go there now. They're gonna have Nikki saying I wish you died in the womb. I mean, you know, it's like you know, I mean, I don't think that's not the start of PG. That kind of language and cinderblocks being thrown at people. I mean, that's something maybe they wouldn't have done when Linda was running for office and WWE was trying to erase the image that they had. If you if you go back and read back issues of the Pros and Torture newsweutter. I put on the cover and I rang the felt multiple times. But during the Attitude air, they started pushing things more than I thought was beneficial for them, and on the cover I wrote a sidebar cover story saying it's time to pull back. They're now just being extreme out of petulance, out of just the desire to see how far they can push. It was bad for business, and it was a very short time later they started paying a big price for it, with sponsors dropping out, bad publicity and that kind of thing. So it's just even the attitude are a ran its course, That's not what makes wrestling work. I would say for almost everybody. Is cool baby faces that you are excited to see, when you want to see, when you have a reason to root for them, whatever that reason is, you have a reason to root from in heels that you take satisfaction and seeing get shown up, get what they have coming and lose and doing it in an athletic, bombastic way. But you don't need the r rated content for progrestling to work on a large level. Dean Ambrose, as Jose said, and I give him, I mean, I give Dean Ambrose credit for being attitude like in an era where there's a little bit less that he can get away with. That said Jason. We've been critical of seth rollins and mean Ambrosen some of the kind of childish, almost Benny Hill like gits that they've done. I don't know where I pulled that out of, but you know, to promote their feud. You know, they did go a little Benny Hill on us. I expected some of the Benny Hill music in the background during a couple of their skits, you know where it got kind of slapsticky, and so, you know, I mean, he's been hurt a little bit by that. I say two, although it doesn't really matter because he's going away and he'll come back and be strong.
Speaker 9: I'm Kelly Wells, host of the seven Star podcast, the new Ongoing Torch show covering the world of New Japan pro wrestling. We'll drop new episodes as major shows and noteworthy events dictate and I'm.
Speaker 5: Chris Lansdell join us as we covered the ever changing landscape of New Japan as they navigate an era with no lack of talent.
Speaker 4: But I really need to create some new stars.
Speaker 5: You can stream the new seven Stop podcast now from Pro Wrestling Talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just with Dean Ambrose. It's a cool factor. I mean, that's what's getting him over. It's not like he's getting to do attitude araror material right now. I mean he walks the line, but others do as well, and it's just clicking for him because of the personality. What I want to see if it's not even so much the attitude er, it's just pro wrestling in general over the years. Give me some babyface characters that do have a little bit of attitude, if you will, that don't just stand on the stage and watch as the authority tears everyone down. Bring back the cool factor to the babyfaces, and not just one or two guys, you know, have them stand up for themselves a little bit, not just be corporate pushovers. Who are you know, just more concerned with having a job than doing the right thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and sounding like they are reading the script that they were given by the corporate writing team. That's the new man hired from Hollywood like, you know, I mean, that's not pro wrestling. Pro wrestling is Stan Hansen, pro wrestling is you know. It's it's that sense of anything going to happen, and these are Outlaws, and WWUE has pushed back against that so much and the desire to be something else other than the winners of the pro wrestling battle, the pro wrestling war, and they want to be something different, and they want to be higher brow and Linda Run you know, Linda is going to be a senator in WWE's publicly traded and we're on USA Network and on and on and on. They want all these things and it's I'm not saying that it hasn't in some ways worked really well for them, but they have to keep their eye on the fact that the biggest boom period happened when they had Stone Cold Steve Austin as their top guy. And he was a throwback to the Outlaws, the guys who you didn't know what they were going to say next, and they were anti corporate and they didn't Yes he had the T shirts and yes there were you know, announcers, but it was Jim Ross, you know, counting his catchphrases and stuff like that, but Steve didn't feel corporate. I just transcribed for this week's Progressing Torture Newsletter Steve Austin from Friday's interview that I did with him talking about how he sat down with physic man once and they were going over their promo, and it's great how Steve relays it. He's like, Vince McMahon, I am going to give you the stutter, you know, whatever the quote was, and Vince like, I want your a promo, Steve, and Steve said to him, I'll give you my a promo when I'm in front of ten fifteen thousand people and the adrenaline is slowing, you know. And too often wrestlers feel like they on air that they're just reciting lines they memorized and they're scared to screw up because they'll be chewed out afterwards. God forbid, somebody put a face up, put their hand in the face, as Stephanie McMahon like Dusty Rhodes did to say, talk to the hand as a way to show up Stephanie. And now Dusty hasn't been seen since on TV because that wasn't scripted, and that was against the unwritten rule that you do exactly what you're told, exactly when you're told, you do not use your instinct or improvise, even if you're a guy who's drawn more money than all but a dozen wrestlers in the past twelve you know, during his twenty year round, which was Dusty Rhoades. His instincts aren't always great, but you don't want to because you're worried about one thing that doesn't work. Take away the seven or eight things that on instinct when you're winging it do work. And that's frustrating. And I think a lot of fans sense that, and I think with Dean Ambrose, that's what Jose identifies with, is that stone cold Steve Austin. Anything can happen at this moment. Feeling that used to be and still could be and should be a dominant feeling you have when watching wrestling. How much of this too, waight?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 4: It's hard for guys to portray an outlaw when they live under this microscope in WWE and any little thing could get them heat. Oh oh, I think it's a huge part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean WWE wants a corporate of just their control freaks as far as that corporate thing goes, and they just want business runs smoothly. They don't want anyone to get too big so that they can't handle them. They just want a headache free existence. But everything gets kind of the edges get softened and rounded off. There's not sharp edges to the product and to the talent, and they pay a price for that. And I think they've gone too far in one direction. I understand wanting that. You know, who wants to worry about the phone call ring ringing because you know your top star is upset with you, or who worries about somebody saying the wrong thing because you've loosened up the scripting of matches and promos. I mean, I get that, but I think you're in the pro wrestling business and it's beneficial to you to accept some of that that that's some of that comes with the territory.
Speaker 4: Definitely all right.
Speaker 3: I don't think we went to this. We're going back to Georgia for seven eight. Please state your name of the city you're calling from.
Speaker 13: Hey, how's it going, guys? This is manual calling from making Georgia.
Speaker 3: Hey, Manuel, thanks for calling. What have you got for us?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 13: Just kind of I guess the almost tiggybags off the whole of kind of the attitude their thing, and of Roman reigns and how he may or may not be being groomed to be the next top guy. Yeah, I remember a time and it was my favorite time in professional wrestling in w W was after Stone Cold on the Rock kind of made their exit, but before John Cena became the guy where I just remember like just really good wrestling and if there was no there was no top one guy that I can remember, but they were always like top heel champions and then you always had like all the baby faces chasing them, and maybe they didn't get great decisive wins as far as the heels go, but they always kept the feuds going to where you get at least three months out of a feud and then they move on to the next babyface, next baby For one guy that got that opportunity at the Rumble and he took out the heel, then another hill would come along and take the title from him and you could kind of start all over, and I just remember getting great matches.
Speaker 2: Out of that.
Speaker 13: So I guess my question is, why does there have to be a top baby face like, why does Romeanraines have to be the next after Johnsen? Why can't they just have top stars or top heels and top faces may or are they content on having won?
Speaker 3: Sure? No, we know your question will cover it out. I want to ask you what matches or heels did you like in that zone between the attitude era and sena emerging, Like what, give me a couple of specifics tw or three specifics of what you remember liking.
Speaker 13: I remember always waiting to see who would finally beat Triple H when they had the old WCW belt, the world title, it's like the top title, and I think W champion who I would always be hoping that somebody would take him out. And I mean they weren't the top people in the company, but they had the titles and the people who went after them, I mean they made they made the storylines make sense to where whatever baby faces they were facing at that pay per view, he wanted to see that baby face win. You know, there were two guys who you wanted to see them dot down and they would win by usually cheating. It would hardly ever clean, but it made you feel good about seeing two or three pay per views with the same opponent because you wanted the baby face to get that comeback.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I've got something to say, and I'll throw it to Jason first and get his thoughts on that. I mean, there are there's two classic formulas, Jason, A bunch of baby faces chasing a top heel and a bunch of heels chasing a top baby face. And those are two formulas that promoters have used over the years.
Speaker 4: And one of them Bench Leans heavily toured and had you asked me which who I thought he was talking about, I would have said Triple H because he really has been the exception. I mean it's you go back to the key champions in WWE, the ones that have staying power and that people talk about. It really is the baby faces by and large, and the Bench is he's just he sees it that way and he's been very successful with that approach, having that top baby face star, whether it's been Hogan or Austin or Rock or Savage, And I mean some guys have been more successful and obviously seen. And now you want to have that poster boy for your company, the guy that's going to sell a lot of merchandise. I wish they would shake up the formula a little bit more than they do. But at least right now you have Rock Lesner. We'll see how far they go with it. But it does feel it does start to feel a little bit too predictable when they when they take that approach way. But it's hard to argue with the with the track record of success.
Speaker 3: And the thing is is if Roman Reigns doesn't catch fire, it doesn't mean that it was the wrong goal to have, right, you know, I mean, I you know, I think about this. Going back to the NBA for a second. It's so easy for people to jump all over gms for not making finding that GEM in the mid first round. You can they have about the NFL too, but the mid first round or that second round pick. And to me, when you have a GM who does it over and over again, that GM should get a lot of credit. But it doesn't mean every other GM is an idiot. And there are busts. And what you have to do is you have to go back and look at that moment in time on Draft night, What did you, as an NBA reporter or an NBA fan say about the draft order at that moment in time. You don't get to go two years later and go, I'm blaming this GM because this guy was a bust and this guy picked two spots later turned into a superstar. This GM is horrible because there's a lot of gms. There's a lot of GMS who pass up these guys who are late round picks. That's what makes them late first round or early second round picks, because almost every GM in the league passes them by picking other people who end up flaming out. So it doesn't mean that with the information you have at the moment, you didn't make a reasonably a reasonable call that a lot of people thought, yeah, that might work out, but there's gonna be one out of twelve people in the mid to late first round, you know, late in the first roun, but one out of twelve it's going to turn into a rotation player and occasionally a star. That's going to happen. And if one GM does it over and over again, then they deserve credit, But not every other GM should be called an utter failure because they didn't get that one out of twelve pick that ten other gms missed out on either. With Roman Reigns bringing it back to wrestling, he was a good first round draft pick. He was a good guy to pick. I don't disagree with looking at him and apparently knowing him outside of the ring. People who know him outside of the ring they go this guy has that in factor. I trust Sean Waltman's judgment when it comes to evaluating talent, and he was somebody who he says he was one of the first people, maybe the first person to say to Hunter this, keep your eye on this guy. You know, protect him, build him up. So if Roman Rags doesn't work out, it doesn't mean it was a wrong choice to go with him. It just means there was a chance it might not work out, and that happened to occur. And it may not even be Roman Raine's fault. It could now be the fault of the promoters for not featuring him in the right way, not giving him the slack or giving him the confidence to go do his own thing, instead of following this really tight script of saying very little and only doing a few signature moves and underestimating the audience's ability to deal with a real person, instead of this kind of cardboard cutout of a superstar. So I don't know, I mean, there's a long winding road back to the original question, I guess, but with Roman and Reins, he's I think he's a good guy to be pushing. And the fact that we're pointing out that he's not catching fire right now and the crowds aren't going completely crazy for him like they have they did see him Punk a couple of years ago and Daniel Bryant one year ago. That doesn't mean he's a failure. It just means right now in the process, Jason, he's not where WWE ideally would want him to be.
Speaker 4: But there's like you say, there's still time, and you wouldn't want him to be peaking now either. You want that peak to come during Wrestle Nani a season, ideally at Wrestle Nania, you know you and extended beyond that of course, but you wouldn't want this guy to be on fire right now. And then we're rely like is it gonna last until me? So maybe that's part of their mindset too. Is taking the slower approach now doesn't doesn't mean there's not deficiencies in his game, but they're they're they're booking approach to this might be okay, let him get that first win over Randy Orton, And you know, and I have no idea what's coming next for him, which is a big question mark because they're so light on meaningful heels that other than brock Lesner, it's gonna that's gonna be kind of the tricky part for him way is finding those opponents so that he can just keep taking that step forward. Randy Orton felt, I mean, they were able to rebuild Randy enough that it felt like something, But who's what do you do next?
Speaker 3: And and you know, speaking of peaking, you what you would like to have as a peak like Steve Austin that last years, you know, like I mean, of course, WW would like him not not so much to peak, but to get hot. And and that's yeah, I think what you're saying is there. They may think, relax, everybody, this is part of a slow build. We're not. I know you think we're shoving them down people's throats, but really not. But we're just dropping clues that you're much more acutely aware of than the average viewer, that we're positioning him to be a top guy. But trust us, we're dropping these hints and you're making way too much out of it. But we plan to peek him at the right time, and that's going to be in the six weeks leading up to the Rumble, and until then we need to kind of hold back a little bit and give him a few spots, but not have him be cutting these long promos before it's time. So we're planning the seeds in the summer here, late summer that he's going to be a top guy, crosses paths with Seen A, teams up with Scena, Main Events Raw and you know, kind of is being protected in a way, but it's part of a long term plan that they believe will work. There might be a cadence in the game plan and they might not be worried at all. I'm a little worried Jason, because I think with a type of push that they have given him, the crowd reaction should be stronger right now. I think that the tour in Australia, we got correspondent reports saying the pop he's getting right now is nothing like what Seampunk got two years ago, nothing like what Daniel Brian got a year ago, and that makes me worried. But Rains has a great look, great charisma, He's a really good athlete, and apparently there's more behind that than deer that he hasn't shown yet that people who are around him when the red light of the camera isn't on have seen. And that gives me more confidence too. But I talked about the Keller hotline last night for VIP members. He needs there's specific things that I talked about and he needs to do to connect with the crowd more. And there's those things can come in time. I just would be getting to them a little sooner. Not well, shit, yep, very good.
Speaker 1: You don't have to wait for the way Keller Pro Wrestling post show to find out what I thought of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown. Each week, you can check out my reports that are updated live throughout Raw and SmackDown at pwtorch dot com. My written report will tell you what's happening in detail in case you missed the show, and it'll also analyze key segments and give my random thoughts equips on what I'm watching as a airs, So check it out every Monday night and Tuesday night at pewtorch dot com. That also applies to WWE payperviews. I cover those live at pw torch dot com with a detailed written report with star ratings, and of course you can find other TV reports from other contributors to pw Torch such as nxt roh, Impact Wrestling, and more. Check it out pw torch dot com, your first stop for TV and pay per views written reports.
Speaker 3: I actually was gonna go back to Believe it or Not Dave, the Chris Badwock conspiracy theorist guy, because he like and then he hung up a minute ago, and I'm frustrated because I wanted to bring him back on he Jason. It's so weird. He like calls up like we we ran over his dog and a hit run accident, like he's angry at me. I think he was quoting more you than me in terms of, you know, talking about the moonlighting and stuff, because I don't think i'd said that, but maybe I did. I'll go back and review the tape, but I probably did. Yeah, I just I remember you saying something like that, and now he's playing me for saying it. It's just like I told him go read the back issues. He did, but I put him on hold because I do that for almost all the colors because when I don't, I pay the price there's all kinds of babies crying like earlier in the show, and then he gets and then he's just kind of he just seems kind of nasty in his disposition, and it's just not the tone of the show that we have.
Speaker 4: He's decided he's right, and whatever evidence that points to something else actually being the case, he's going to ignore and tell you that he's right. And in this case, I mean, I haven't gone back and read all that stuff and sometime either, so you can correct me if I'm wrong your way, but I'm guessing he's picking out one thing when there was some uncertainty to the situation and ignoring what came after it when more facts started coming in.
Speaker 3: Right, you know, that's actually much more concisely well put than I would have been able to as I was processing what he was saying and how to address him when he had some time to take a deep breath and not be mad at me for daring to put him on hold while you and I talked. But yes, I mean, and I've just I've lost sight of and this is why I wanted to bring him back on of what the original premise was when he initially called us, because it's like I think he's and again I want to put words of his mouse, but it seems like he's angry that we don't now sick what is it six years later now talk about the fact that the official story is different than what really happened. And that's fine, but that's probably something you know, when I'm glad he went he's reading an old issue with the Torch, I you know, I mean, I guess I'm glad about that. I asked him to do that. I guess maybe the best thing to do if if he does listen back to the show is without the the emotions that come up when he calls the show. Send an email and and to PW Torch Livecasts at gmail dot com. Just put in the subject line questions about benwas situation and link to what I said and ask me for my response, you know, and lay out what what what it is that I want to know what he wants from us in this situation, because, as I told him when he called, initially, nobody covered the Benla story in more depth than we did on that than we did on Torch VIP that predated the live cast, but and in the Torch newsletter and and it was. I mean, that was all I did for a couple of months. It's sent at my computer eighteen hours a day, practically talking to media members and people involved in law enforcement. And we went through that whole process of yeah, like you said, Jason, this is suspicious. How did somebody apparently know this on Wikipedia? Why did it get scrubbed? And we dealt with all of that, but there were some questions that were left unanswered, and there were some questions that they didn't all not everything ended up as clean and crisp as we'd like in the end, but the fact that there was something on the Wikipedia page that got scrubbed turned out to, like I think you said, better than I am here in this orelonguitd way, not seeming particularly relevant by the end, because there was all this other overwhelming evidence that made that seem like either a coincidence or somebody who got some information and made some guesses about what might be going on and then realized, oh crap, I'm right, and then they scrubbed it because it went from a prank to kind of scary and it's something that could get them in trouble. And I just in the end, I haven't ruled it out one hundred percent that there could be some real, big twists in the story that we just glossed over and didn't give enough time. But in the end I felt pretty satisfied from talking to a lot of people you know, involved in the story with a stake in finding out the truth in wrestling and out of it. In the end, I felt pretty comfortable with the notion that two volatile personalities got into a domestic situation the stronger of the two snapped and went too far in dangerous unique hoefully never revisited. Cocktail of a lot of things that were that were mentally wrong with Chris Benwall at that point in his life, and a predisposition that not every human being has to have those things affect him in that way, and it led to a despondent situation on his part that led to his rationalizing in his at that point probably clinically insane way of thinking that killing his son was the humane thing to do, as opposed to having him grow up with a father spending his life in jail for murdering his mother with you know, whether he had special any special leads or not is kind of irrelevant to discussion although that certainly was in the media at some point, so I just felt satisfied with that. I didn't feel that the fact that somebody might have suspected something was up first before it became fully official, and put something on a Wikipedia page that later got scrubbed, was it. I explored those things and talked to people about him, but it just never led anywhere, and so I didn't spend a lot time since then thinking about it. I mean, does that seem to match with your recollection, Jason?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just don't know where his anger comes, right, It's been like distance. The first time he called in, he called in off aull of piss and vinegar all bent out of shape, and it was.
Speaker 3: Like it was a year or so ago.
Speaker 4: It feels like, yeah, And it wasn't even about anything that you or I had written. It was he read a book or something someone had written, and yeah, and he decided that was true, and for some reason he felt the need to challenge us on it.
Speaker 3: And well, I think he got mad because I didn't immediately go, oh, really, this is new information, or yes, you're right, I'm one hundred percent with you. I think he got upset because I did say if you haven't read the Torch, you don't really know what you're talking about. And I think he took offense at that because he had felt like he had done his research on the internet sufficiently and could come to us and start telling us about a situation. And I just think from the position that I was in speaking for me, and how much time in my life I spent that year, that summer invested in covering this story with no dog in the fight. And I mean, I've the I mean it just I didn't have any reason to side one way or the other. I just wanted to find out the truth. And and so to come at me like because he had done some internet investigation that he was now providing this information to us that we had never heard of and we should just agree with him on when he hadn't even read my coverage. Just I'm the wrong person to call. If you haven't read my coverage of one of the biggest stories, probably the biggest story I've ever covered, and you haven't read my coverage or listen to my audio shows that are all on the VIP website, then then go talk to somebody else about it. You know, I did my I did my work on this, and it's out there, and before we have a conversation about it, you got to catch yourself up on on that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: He may have done that, and I probably pulled the trigger on him a little fast, but I could just tell he was coming at me, like, you know, just being kind of nasty, and I just don't want that on the show.
Speaker 4: Nah. He's been confrontational since since Call one, you know, and it's just it doesn't make for it doesn't make for good radio. And it's just like, well, where is this com for him? Why are you so obsessed with this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And you know what, if he wants to be this, you know, if he wants Sometimes people, you know, people are fascinate with the JFK situation, and I've there's a lot of JFK theories out there and this might be his thing. I just might answer to him if he's listening to this. I'm sure he's I shouldn't say I'm sure of anything. He's probably really mad at us right now for misinterpreting or whatever. He's mad at us for quite so long, You're right, And I'm worried. He's been mad at us every single day, even when he doesn't call the show, you know, like he's really worked up about it, because I'm not. I don't want him to be upset at us, and I don't want him to be all that angry or feel like he's been disrespected, and I think he does, But I just encourage him to send me an email where we don't have tone and voice and interruptions, and I'll have that send me an email, point to a link, and type up what he wants from us as far as the story goes. And if he sends me an email and presents that, he'll probak call the show and I'll put him on and forget what his phone number is and maybe we'll have another back and forth. But if he's listening, I encourage him send me an email PW Torch live cast at Gmail, ask me what his question is, tell me what he wants from us, and point me to some links, and I will refresh my memory and read his links. And I'm telling you, I'm saying, if he's listening, I will do some research on the points that he's making and come ata and come back with my opinion on whatever he presents to me. It's not going to happen. In a productive way on the live cast. When he's talking about things that I said when I don't know the context of the things that I said, and then he's quoting me when he's really quoting you, that's not going to be really productive. So anyway wanted to establish that or just call in and.
Speaker 4: Be civil and be open minded rather than you know everything and we're idiots.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, but I think that's one hundred percent true. I'm saying to even help, though, I want to have time before he calls to read what he's referencing, whether it's something I've written or something that he's found on the internet that intrigued him. I'm interested in this story. I'm not saying I don't want to ever revisit it or learn something new or find out maybe that there was something we overlooked and now with some distance in time, there's either a new piece of information or an overlooked piece of information. I'm I'm I am all for that. It's not gonna happen productively when I'm doing a show that's predominantly talking about current events and wrestling. That's what this show generally is. We talk about the network and Raw and Roman reigns and wrestle, any speculation and Summer Slim and John Cena and TNA and even at the very end of the BFP after show traditionally we talk about the Global Force wrestling. Yeah baby, But if you want to talk history, then give us a chance to do a little bit of research and refresh our memories and spend the time that maybe the time he puts in deserts, and give us a heads up. Here's an email. Here's what I want you to look at. I'm gonna call. I want to talk about this, but here's a chance for you to look over the materials. And I'm just saying, despite the tone he takes and the consternation that I think he feels dealing with us, and I don't know why torches himself with it, but email us first and give us a chance and we'll take a look at the material and then and then he can come on the show and we can talk about it all right. The sale right now pw torch dot com, slash go vip. You can go back and read and listen to. By the way, it's not just reading the back issues of the prosing Torch newsletter that covered the Chris benwas situation, and we're putting out double issues almost every week for a stretch there, with tons and tons and tons of coverage, documenting for history, a lot of things that just went poof, you know, away on you know, the interview on CNN or one of the other news channels. You know, it's airs, and then it's gone and it's not there anymore. It's it's not something that even somebody bothered to put on YouTube and the newspaper articles and the press conferences, and I'm first hand reporting that I did in terms of working the phone lines and talking to different people involved in interviews. Kevin Nash, I did a torch talk with talking about the situation and others. That's all in the back issues of the Torture Newsletter. And just as fascinating, let's go back to the Wake Keller hotline at that point and the Bruce mitchelladio show and listen to our in depth analysis in real time of that Chris ben wa situation from that the night it happened, and we talked about it every single day for weeks and weeks. I don't remember how much time went by. I was waiting for the day that would come where I went a full day not talking about it on audio. I mean it was, it was, And so all the coverage that we did is documented in those back issues and in those audio shows. If it's story you're interested in, that's one of the reasons you know, the go VIP is that the Benoa story, the death of Owen Hart, the Montreal screw Job with Brett Hart, the Monday Night Wore, the jump of Haul and nash On, and on and on, the biggest stories in wrestling history. If you're a student of the game and you want to immerse yourself in them, whether it's good news or bad news, grim and awful like Owen or like ben Wa, or just exciting but controversy seal like the Monday Night War. That stuff is all there as part of the VIP membership, and we got the three thirty three sale going on. When you become a member, you instantly gain access to virtually our entire library at back issues going back twenty five plus years to the late eighties, including all the red.
Speaker 15: Are you a fan of aw looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion. Do you want to be topped off the ledge after a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking? Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve?
Speaker 4: Then join me, Joel and.
Speaker 15: Me Greg for the all of the conversation Club every Friday on the pw torch Live Cast. Fee search pw torch in your podcast app and subscribe to pw torch Daily Cast or stream our shows directly from pw torch dot com. Find full details on the pw Torchdailycast lineup at pw torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 3: Call you on and how about on Twitter at pro wrestling Net leave the dot out of that one at pro wrestling Net sounds good. And Sean Waltman and Johnny Fairplay have an audio show that people can find that's affiliated with prosing dot net. How do they find that show?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? Blog Talk Radio dot com, slash pro wrestling dot anyt and you can also find all of our audio are all access audio there and if you enjoy that, obviously considered membership and for all the details on that, visit the main page of Pro wrestling dot net.
Speaker 3: Very good, Thank you everybody for joining us once again, and we'll go by. Jason. I'll be by probably next Tuesday, Pat mctneil tomorrow with Kamala. Thursday, I'll be by with Mick Karsh. Friday, James Called will be hosting talking about Impact and other things in the wrestling world, wrapping up the week in wrestling. And yeah, so I think that's about it. So thank you everybody once again for joining us, and until next time. Wait Keller signing off. All Right, we're now in the VI I P After show portion of program and Jason Paul is still with me here. We've got some email questions to answer and some other topics to cover, including uh uh TNA. In fact, Jason, let's let's start with TNA for a second. The announcement that they're moving to Wednesdays and that they were renewed through the end of the year with Spike TV, is is there's still more questions than answers. Obviously, it just delayed the answers. So we know Wednesday that they will that they're gonna be on Wednesdays now through the end of the year, barring a cancelation before that. We know the first Wednesday rating it was awful, but not unexpected. I sense from your tone talking about it on your audio that you're kind of like me, thinking, hey, everybody calmed down.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, of course the rating was going to collapse because Mike Today was saying it's joined us next Thursday throughout the whole show. They didn't have time to promote it, and it's a new night. You're going to lose people and we don't know where they're going to be. But the real test is really you know, one, two, three weeks from now.
Speaker 4: Definitely, that's the thing. I mean, it was an ugly rating and it was kind of even when you're expecting it to be low, it was still kind of a oh boy, maybe not that low, but still that was so clunky. I mean, that's a sadly what I think that's what you get when you put the masterminds of TNA and Spike TV together is a switch a change of nights where you have two advertisements that air during Impact and then on the same show you have Mike Today telling everyone tune in next Thursday. I mean, it was just unreal. This would be a fitting end to TNA on Spike TV.
Speaker 3: Well, I yes, and I mean that's just the problem with the short notice. I mean, they were just given really short notice and they didn't weren't able to go in and redub the show, and it led to some confusion. And in a way, if I'm CNA, I kind of like that because now they can say, it's not our fault, it's your fault, Spike. We need some more support.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Spike might not care at the stage of things, but what's your best take and best information on the relationship right now between T and An and Spike.
Speaker 4: It's I mean, again, it's always the same. It depends who's telling the story. I mean, I've just heard so many different theories, so many different statements from people about what they think is happening and or just what they claim is happening. And then you'll hear something conflicting from somebody else who claims they have the inside word the new stuff that I'm hearing a couple of different things. Discovery Network came up, and I believe the observers reporting its velocity as the actual network, and that would make sense that I believe that's part of Discoveries group. You know, they're there group of channels. So I just heard Discovery but Velocity, I guess would which would be kind of a low end network. Something that I have that I didn't know I had held the name came out there. One of those that's scary just because of how how small the network is. Last week I was hearing from someone, and I want to stress again rumor that WGN, presumably WG in America was also had some interest in TNA. I you know, I mean, this happens though this is both may be valid, one of them might not be. Both of them might not be. There might be nothing to it. It's just this is what when when there's a desperation kicking in, as I really believe there is, there's going to be a lot of rumors. I mean these you know yet people depending on jobs, and so one guy hears something from somebody that may not even have any validity to it. Well, he's going to call a friend. He's gonna call a friend, and everybody gets their hopes up and you know, hopefully they have something. But I tell you, if it's a move to Velocity, I mean instead of if they were to not be able to strike a deal with Spike and that was the best out there, might keep the lights on but long term, I don't see that being a viable option less. It's just that Velocity, for whatever reason, has a lot of money to throw around.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's the thing is the options that I'm hearing are not an improvement for TNA. It would be a step back. And I mean, yes, they've been preparing in a way for like a year for a step back. They have been you know, flashing the budget. But I think ultimately the best option for them is going to be to try to find a way to stay on Spike.
Speaker 4: I think it is at this point. I just because I don't know who you're going to do business with that January first, there's going to be this opening. They're going to create an opening for you. I mean that was kind of the concern when they brought in Uta. You know, people kind of going back in time, going that would be around the time that most networks would kind of have their fall schedule in place. They'd want to be able to take these things to the upfronts and start lining up advertisers and.
Speaker 3: Things like that.
Speaker 4: And so, I mean there are people who really believe that TNA was told back at that probably March April, somewhere in there whenever they announced that partnership with UTA that there was a pretty strong indication at that time that they weren't that Spike wasn't interested in bringing them back. I mean, but at the same time, you know, Spike can change their minds. The fact that they're still carrying impact says something I don't put a lot of tremendous faith in. It's a sign that they're still negotiating and there's still a strong chance. But I can't rule it out either.
Speaker 3: What's your I mean, it's I know, it's not a high confidence pick. So like picking a super Bowl winner at this stage, asked me in a couple of weeks, So this is like ask me in a couple months. But do you think they're on Spike in January and February? Do you think they're in business in January and February? Where would you put your ten bucks?
Speaker 4: I think they're in business because I mean, another more chpancier was telling the story. But I mean, the most consistent thing I've heard is they have like eight to ten months they can get by with no Spike TV, no network in the United States. They have overseas television deals, But I mean it just becomes so tricky. Then you have to you know, you have to have tapings for these shows that aren't airing here. So how do you get the word out to people about these shows? And I mean you can do it, and it really slashed the budget and everything and just go really low end with things. I know they signed the overseas television deals, but I just wait, I just kind of look at those as if the company goes under, then they go under. And I mean, what when I hear multi year agreement, it doesn't make me think automatically, hey, t Anda is going to be around for all those years. It's just I would assume that if there's they wouldn't be the first company providing programming to go under, and then the network is just kind of left without with some programming slot to fill.
Speaker 3: Basically, that's right, they just air three Cops instead of just Won in Malaysia, right, you know, I mean they can they can manage to work around that if they need to. So yeah, I'm not quite sure what to what to make of that. You know, the international deals don't really add a ton of confidence, but I mean it's better than if it's just complete silence. Other than Spike and you.
Speaker 4: Know, as far as Spike, I hate to dodge it. I just I don't have a great feel for this. I mean, when when they're extended, I mean, yeah, they may still be negotiating for all we know. I just don't know what you're negotiating at this point. What it could be a sign that it's been tough negotiations and they've just put their close enough that they extended it and hopefully they'll be able to strike a new deal, you know, before it ends or something like that. That's one way of looking at it. The other, I mean, it's just that, well, TNA and Spike have had a you know, decent relationship over the years, and Spike TV might be doing them as solid. It's not like they have a lot of programming they put on there.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The tough part for TNA too, is that because they have this situation, this partnership with UTA, they old em a chunk. You know, it's either ten or fifteen percent that they're in whatever deal they get. So they obviously have a partner who's motivated to get them the best possible deal. That that part's great. But from TNA's perspective, whatever the whatever the going rate was last time. It's like we're to match that. Well, they actually lose money because they owe you know, ten to fifteen percent of that to UTA.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, all right. Well, I mean I the TNA products, I mean, it's not they're not producing a product where I think there's a lot of people. I mean, there's some people who are as you call them, TNA fanboys, you know, the ones who just jump on Twitter at any mention of TNA and anything other than positive light. But TNA is not rallying a lot of truths, you know. I don't think there's a lot of wrestling fans who are who we mix with, who are just like, we've got to make this work. We've got to find a home for TENNA. They have to survive it. They just don't have that kind of passion for their product. I think they have a soft fan base, and that worries me when it comes to the night, the change in which day of the week they're on. I think almost everybody will come back to Wednesdays. But I do think there's some people who are just look at TNA the way that I look at you know, some reality TV show or sitcom. If I bump into it. I'll watch it, you know, I remember liking this show. I'll watch it. I've got time here after dinner and to watch. But I don't know how many of those people who missed out last Thursday are gonna be like, oh, oh no, I missed impact. How do I find it and reset my DVR and go back to watching it live every week? I worry for TNA that those people won't come back because I just don't sense that of the one point some you know, the one plus million people who watch on the peak weeks, that they're super passionate and they're just going to follow TNA to any network.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm with you on that. I want to clarify too. There's there's PNA fan boys and then there's just there's TNA fans. There is a big difference there. I mean there's To me, I've just never understood the concept of this is my wrestling organization, like it's a football team. You know, It's it's wrestling. It's not a team sport. You don't have to choose, and some people just do. WWE has them too, But obviously, or any any group, there's gonna be ring of honor fans like that. It just there's this there, there's a select few out there that, in TNA's case, everything they do is the greatest. Everything that everyone else does it pales by comparison to TNA. They make a creative change and suddenly the person that they were defending is the worst thing ever and this new guy's the best. And I mean, to me, it's just like I just zone those people out. I mean, they don't map, they're they're just there's they're fanboys. I mean, that's they've chosen. They've decided that TNA's is. I mean, they're like the worst delusional Homer football fan out there, you know. I Mean, it's just they've decided that their team is the greatest, even if they're one and fifteen and everyone else sucks, and they don't deal in reality. When you confront like in with a football fan, you can point to but your team went one in fifteen. In TNA's case, you can point to a number of things too, but they don't want to hear it. It's just whatever whatever logic you give them, they're just going to ignore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, no, well put all right, let's go, let's go to our next an email question here, let's be ifpmember Tony from Las Vegas. He said, I'm kicking myself. I knew I had a question for Steve Bustin but didn't write it down or forgot to ask him on Friday. But I'm gonna ask you and Jason.
Speaker 4: So why not exactly?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, you're ready to stand in for Steve? I know the time he does that add up? But if Bradshaw were in his JBL character prime in nineteen ninety eight or nineteen ninety nine, could he or could he might have had an interesting rivalry with Stone Cold. I like the idea of the beer swell in Texas redneck against the big rich Texan douchebag. Plus the JBL gimmick would have worked well with Vince at the time in my opinion. Thanks for your hard work, guys, Ambrose for usum A thirty two, that's a whole other issue. What do you think Jason JBL against Don't Cold?
Speaker 4: Oh hell yeah, that's the best I can do. Yeah, yeah, that would have absolutely. I mean it's just I guess the tough part there. Does it become a little too close to a Vince? You know? That's the only thing just because JBL's character was the rich guy and so maybe wouldn't have been perfect, but there certainly were points where you could have done something with Jblan Steve Auston made some money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like the idea of contrasting Texas personalities, and the promos would have been phenomenal. It'ld have been Well, we'll try to remember to ask that to Steve next time he's on the show. But yeah, I think it could have worked and they could have made money, and yeah, yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that.
Speaker 1: Give yourself a reason to look forward to going to the mailbox each week with a PW Torch newsletter paper copy. Subscription details at PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. It's twelve pages every week, packed with my TV reports, along with exclusive features such as my cover story on the top story of the week, our pay per view roundtable reviews from the Torch staff, exclusive feature length columns from Greg Parks, Rich Fan, Sean Radikin, Alan Coonahan and Zach Haydorn, Torch Talk transcripts, the latest news and more. PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. Take a break from screen time and settle in every week with a Megado suppressling news and analysis with a Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter paper copy edition. In the year twenty twenty two. You can get a full year of home delivery for just ninety nine dollars, or try us for an eight week trial subscription pw toorch dot com slash paper copy.
Speaker 3: All right, Oh, what about Dean Ambrose RESTMENTA thirty two is there? I think we sort of touched on it, but is there a chance Dean Ambrose is the guy who they decide to win the Rumble and face brock as this You know, can you imagine Dean Ambrose selling tickets from media thirty two and you know, you go into his personality and his and his voice and you just don't overscript him and let him sell the match and sell him as the crazy guy who's just crazy enough to to take out to take out brock Lesnar when nobody else could if.
Speaker 4: He really really catches fire. And you know, that's what I think is going to have to happen. I really do think they're held meant on Roman range right now, and it's going to take something big in order for them to stray from that, and if it's Ambrose just getting over like at Austin levels, well then they're not probably not gonna have a choice. But Daniel Bryan got over to a ridiculous degree and they just fought that every step of the way. It seems so with Ambrose, I think they probably have him pegged as being the cool guy for now. Long term, they've probably seen him as a guy who turns on Roman Reigns and I've said for a while, not a bad spot to be, you know, this era's Roddy Piper to you know, to Roman rains Hogan. I guess, I mean it's it's not the perfect comparison, but if that can you know, between him and Rawlins that I think could be a good spot for Ambrose. It's not going to be base of the company, top guy that people want unless something really clicked. You don't hear the negative grumbling from people about Ambrose that you do that we did Daniel Bryan. But we're also not at that point where it's just like people are really against the idea and really you know, just demanding that Dean Ambrose become the guy in WWE We're hearing it from a certain portion of the fan base. But like you said earlier, I really think it's kind of the the hardcore fan doesn't mean the casual fans aren't into Ambrose, but I don't know that there's this demand for him like there was Daniel Bryant.
Speaker 3: Global Force Wrestling Jason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, finally you brought it up.
Speaker 3: It math did well. We're at the end here. We went long on the lifecast parts, so you know we're past to our mark here. But I mean we got to mention Global Force Wrestling. It's becoming it's kind of becoming a tradition. I'm not sure it'll be every week. We don't have a streak. I think we did miss one week recently. But they announced another international signing. Do you remember the country?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 3: Do you bet?
Speaker 15: I do.
Speaker 4: I've got it right here in front of me. P WA Australia out of Sydney, Wrestle Clash out of Melbourne, Riot City Wrestling out of Adelaide, Explosive Wrestling out of Perth, and Impact Pro out of Auckland, New Zealand. See it's not just Australia, it's also New Zealand. They now have partnerships in Mexico, Japan. England, Ireland, In Germany, Australia and New Zealand. The only thing missing from like the old AWA intro seems to be Canada and Poland.
Speaker 3: Oh the Awa intro that Oh, I just I think I want that played at my funeral.
Speaker 4: Mexico, Poland, Japan the greatest professional wrestling all right anyway.
Speaker 3: And and the music it just gives me the chills, you know. And it was so low fi. You know, it's like they had played the same tape over and over again every week, or it was like you know, an old uh you know, multi dubbed wrestling tape, you know where it was, you know, so fuzzy and and you know, just it's just I don't know, it just sounded authentic and gritty and legendary and scary and Twilight zony and like this is a big deal. I don't know, it's just all those emotions as an eight year old hearing it for the first time.
Speaker 4: Did they really go with Poland? Or am I just making that up? I don't even remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Poland was there, Okay, Yeah, definitely, yeah.
Speaker 4: They must have. I had Ivan Putski at one time, because I don't know how many other wrestlers have been built from poland that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, so anyway, I mean, I don't know, we kind of mock them. And as you were talking about on your Memoradio, Jason, you know, it's not just running a show that's going to make them legit. It's a good step forward, you know, if they actually write a paycheck to a wrestler, which they have yet to do to the best of my knowledge. It I do think there's still a chance that Jeff Jarrett's filming a reality series and it's actually going to end up being a mockumentary about doing a fake wrestling company. And again, there'll be a lot of people out to strangle him, you know, because he you know, he'd be creating these alliances with all these wrestling companies worldwide with no intention of actually running. But like, there's nothing inconsistent with him doing a mockumentary about a globe trotting wrestling promoter with no money and no chance in hell of doing anything, just creating a buzz through creating paper alliances with a bunch of companies nobody's ever heard of internationally.
Speaker 4: You'd be a hell of a final f you to the wrestling business.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I don't know. I mean I think the odds that are very, very, very slim. But in any time I say something ridiculous, Bruce is always like I can always kind of Bruce Man should be like to you know when I'm not with him on audio, to be like And this is not one of the it's not a mocumentary like Wade Keller dared to bring up. I'm not saying it like I seriously think it is, but it's it's that ridiculous that it could be.
Speaker 4: But hey, international TV star Robe McManus is behind the project now, I mean not financially, but but he's endorsing it because Lord knows, Robe McManus has never endorsed a losing wrestling promotion that went to Australia.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So anyway, I mean, any anything else you want to cover or should we end on the Global Force Wrestling note.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, I'm trying to think if there's a So you really didn't think Brie was just one of the worst acting performances of all time?
Speaker 3: Did I think that?
Speaker 4: You really you didn't think it was?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I think she's awful every week. It just wasn't new information for me. No, No, she was. She was terrible. I mean she should be asked to cry. I thought the whole segment was going to be awful, and I don't think the segment was awful. I thought NICKI through eighty percent of it was pretty good. And I think what I liked about it in contrast to what Bruce talked about on Monday's Life cast leading into Raw is I think they really differentiated the two characters. Well. I think they had differentiating themselves more than Bruce gave them credit for on Monday. But I think they really differentiate in themselves now where you don't think of them as identical twins. They have two distinct personalities, and I like the idea that they went down that road of Brie. You're seen as a sweet one and I'm the manipulative, gold digging, you know one, and yet the truth is is your phony and I get a bad rap. And I just think that's good because I think Keels should, in their mind feel like they're right, and it's the fans resent them for the fact that they aren't seeing things clearly, They're not seeing reality for what it is, and they handle their own truth really poorly, and that's what's happening with NICKI. She has her own version of the truth, and I think people are going to be skeptical that it is actually real, well, that it's actually They're gonna think she's disconnected from reality. But even more so, they're going to think, even if what you're saying is true, the things you've done and said don't aren't justified by what you think that reality is. So I like the construction of it, and I thought, wow, they've actually, you know, that segment did a pretty good job with it. It's just yeah, I mean, Bria's awful. I mean, I don't even know that. I don't think when people are putting in a position to act, to act when they can act, I don't even think they come across as particularly likable at that point. I think people start just thinking you're trying to pretend to be something or feeling something you're not feeling. And I actually think people resent phoniness, and I think Brice started to come across as actually kind of phony in a way that could backfire.
Speaker 4: Oh shay, yeah, that's for sure. And then the other thing, I guess you shot out to me about Rob that we haven't touched on is See. You know, we talked about John Cena and how much they put him over and how he's indestructible. Again, what are they doing to the Wyatt family? I mean, I was able to kind of get over. Okay, they didn't go with Harper and rowing his tag jamps and I guess they want to go long term with usso's whatever. But now they just lose all the time, and bray Wyatt, I mean, Chris Eric goes back seemingly to elevate bray Wyatt all of a sudden. I don't even know if the match is happening at this point, the third match at night of Champions, and maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But in the middle of this they trade wins and it looks like, Okay, they're finally gonna start building up bray Wyatt. He's the guy who takes the ass kicking from Scena.
Speaker 3: I don't know. No, you're right, and I mean that that could have been our headline on the show to talk about the Whyatts. You know, Harper not Rowan did the job, maybe just to shake up the predictability of Rona Is being the designated job or but yeah, absolutely, bray Wyatt got sacrificed in a way that I don't think was worth it. But even so, even more so, if you're gonna sacrifice bray Wyatt, then make a really big deal out of the match, and make a really big deal out of the outcome, because if you're like I don't like the idea of well, Bray's gonna do the job because we need a main event, so we're gonna have Bray do the job, and we need to get over the fact that scene as a maniac. Now who's all determined, So you know, Brad's the only guy who can draw rating. We can rebuild him up later because he's so good on the mic. If that's all your rational if you're rationalizing all of that, don't then be meek in how you promote it. Promote the hell out of it, get a rating. If you're going to have Braid do a job, get everything there is to get out of Braid doing the job, and so have more, have the announcers act more excited about being able to see that match, and have the uh the outcome be a much bigger deal, like we've never seen brailews like this. This is a new This is a new John Scena and really get something out of it, make people remember it, so that then people are wondering, how's Bray going to respond to this? And if you can't do that, and you're just going to kind of try to slip the match in the finish in I don't think it's worth doing in the first place. So I think you get a lot less of the positive, but you still have all the negative.
Speaker 4: Why. I mean, what's happened though at Brickwayad what it's not even has he just never recovered from the John Cenic program. I mean I I assumed they had. I didn't overreact to it. It's like, yeah, I wish he would have wanted Greg Wrestlemaney, but he didn't. It's nothing he can't bounce back from him. And then sure enough the next nine on Raw, he cuts the promo and gets some of his heat back, and it's like, Okay, this is fine. But then they've just lost their way. I mean, I hate to think that that was the fond Dongo like Shiny Toys and Jazz. I mean, because they're just missing out here. I really worry they're doing long term damage. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, they absolutely could be and I don't break the solace. I take is enough people in power speak very very highly of Bray a lot more than Fondango and Seamus, and so I think that in their mind they're not burying him, they just aren't focused on him at the moment. And I think they believe in an in an environment where they need to come up with six hours of original programming every week counting main event. They need to put top guys against the top guys. And you know, the Vinsic man of the late nineties mid nineties would roll his eyes at the Vincic man of today. The destuct Mata today would say, the world has changed and I've learned a lot since then. But just giving away these main event matchups over and over it means you water down the novelty of seeing main event matchups. And then you're also put in a tough situation where do you do all non finishes or do you just do finishes and own them? And they did that finish, but I don't think they fully owned it. They did a decisive finish and then they just forgot about it, went to a six man and forgot about that, you know. So I don't know I mean, I think Bray is good enough that he'll be fine, but I don't know that he'll be what he could have been in the short run and maybe the mid term, because I do think it's a setback the way that they're booking him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do too. And final question of the day ats a quick one thumbs up thumbs down to the Midge having a stunt double.
Speaker 3: That thumbs up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me too. I hate what they're doing with Sandow, but that was actually very good use of that character.
Speaker 3: And I joked on Twitter that Sandel, if he's really committed to his job, would shave his beard.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think Santo showed a lack of commitment to being a stunt double, because what stunt double has a really big, bushy beard when the person he's stunt doubling for is clean shaven. So you know, miss says he picks good stunt doubles. But not only did Sant I'll lose, but he didn't really look like a double. All right, very good, Thank you, Jason. Good to be back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, and we'll talk.
Speaker 3: To you next week. Thanks to Torch, we havep members and of course, Jason, your dot need members are joining us today and on that note, don't be after Jason Powell Wade Keller signing off.
Speaker 1: Invite you to email the show with feedback or questions or comments. That email address is Wade Keller Podcast at petewtorchs dot com. That's Wade Keller Podcast at Peter toorch dot com. Also welcome your feedback on Twitter. Even follow us on Twitter at pw torch and follow me at the Wadekeller That's at PW torch and at the Wadekeller.
Speaker 5: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me. Jason Powell host them the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week he'll hear the latest news and analysis from me and my team at Pro Wrestling dot need along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and Itunestitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom dot com.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to our podcast. Did you know we also have a website, PW torch dot com. Daily News updates, editorials, and my live TV coverage covering Raw, Dynamite and SmackDown, and my live pay per view coverage for WWE and AEW. Create a tab or bookmark make it a daily stop. Visit us throughout the day every day to keep up on breaking news and more. That's pw torch dot com.
Speaker 16: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan forel Over in the Progress Paradise at Pterboo Torch VIP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestlings past and the paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian thunder Lighter and Our Eye Was There When shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed PW Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew torch vip info dot com and yes, all VIP podcasts are audible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site, See you in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: One way that you can help us sustain our schedule of putting out podcasts throughout the week is by giving us a five star rating on Apple Podcasts. Just go to Apple Podcasts and look for our Weightkeller Pressing podcast and Weightkeller Prossing Post show and give us a five star rating. We hope you think we've earned that score with our fast turnaround times and our quantity and quality of wrestling analysis throughout the week. So take a moment out for us and do us favor and give us a five star rating and Apple Podcasts. That helps us on search returns and helps us grow. And if you want, you can add a few comments about what you like about the programs in the comments section. Thank you so much.
Speaker 9: In twenty twelve, NXT transitioned into the developmental system and ultimately the brand you see today on the Torch VIP podcast.
Speaker 2: NXT eight years back.
Speaker 9: We'll be taking away weekly look at this page in NXT's early history.
Speaker 17: Join Kelly Wells and me Tom Stout from PWT Talks NXT every Saturday as we go eight years back to the day to track NXT's rising talents and why they did or didn't work out exclusively for PW Torch VIP members.
Speaker 1: A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. We have a streamline signup for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. PW torch dot com slash go VIP