Speaker 1: I'm glad we have someone who can join us in our anagram games.
Speaker 2: We take proper names and rearrange the letters to form a description of.
Speaker 3: That person, like no, I don't know that, like innis genuine class, very good, all right, Lisa, Jeremy Irons Jeremy.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, well that's very good for a first try.
Speaker 3: You know what, I have a ball. Perhaps you'd like to bounce it?
Speaker 2: Four finger discount dude.
Speaker 4: Welcome to four figure discamp. With this week, we're going all the way back to season six. We're doing a classic review here of The Simpsons. Is Lisa's rifle. I'm Den and I'm Guy's.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a podcast that is a little sterile and has no real insight. And by the way, if you're watching us on YouTube, you may see the thumbnail or you may just see us talking gesturing to see us do yes, look he's doing stuff. But you may notice that it's just these faces, none of these because Dan I came to the very clever realizations, like we're basically three feet away from my mother.
Speaker 4: We don't need headta If you're in a radio studio, I get it, you know, because sometimes guests are not used to radiating, put their headphones on to make sure you're talking into the microphone.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah. We're professionals, we know what we're doing here. I like to pretend we're in a radio studio, to pretend that Daniel and Gay in the morning. So you want to wear headphones? No, no, no, I'm actually feeling it not free with that. I know what our American friends feel like now when they like, they don't drive without a seatbelt. I mean, I know, do they not anymore? It Is it a law in the States that you have to have your seat belt on and it is here? Or are you just hanging out with hoodlums? That could have been I could have been hanging out with Don Toretto or the rest of the Fast and the Furious gang. But yeah, you see, Americans were like, I don't know, I feel restricted, but you will fly through the wind screen. That's wrong.
Speaker 4: But was it the Troy McClure video. It's like Alice through the windshield glass? Anyway, Lisa's rival. Now, I'm going to start by saying, this is an episode that when I was a kid, I would probably always skip it. I was like that just with Lisa episodes in general. Was there a huge fan of Lisa episodes. Of course, as we've said Tom and Tom again, the older you get as a Simpsons fan, the more you realize you are Lisa Simpson most of us. Anyway, This one here, though, I forgot, and not only has the Sugar b plot. Yes, it has the Millhouse in episode art. The Millhouse is two piece feed of comedy. That is my actual note. The Sugar episode, I'd forgotten all about that. I just knew it was the Lisa Rivals Lisa's rival episode, and I'd forgotten that it was the Wannona run a guest, which I think was one of the reasons that we're doing it today, other than the fact that it's a good episode. But Biggle Juice, bigtle Juice is out in cinemas. Not a writer.
Speaker 3: She's back, baby, well, she's back, been back for some time with Stranger Things and never really went away. Never liked are a stranger things, always in our hearts, never ars are stranger things. Her character just never evolves, and it's boring to me. I think you might be right.
Speaker 4: She's just the same facial expression. It's just it's just there's nothing there.
Speaker 3: Face it's not asking a lot of her, and I think Monona writ is probably capable of more than that show I was asking for it. I think, yeah, it's good that she got the gig. It's probably been a nice little payday for her. It's certainly a nice profile booster.
Speaker 4: It probably introduced it to a whole new audience as well.
Speaker 3: As that as well. I mean, I think one thing that Stranger Things has done well is has brought back a lot of the eighties, eighties icons, eighties and nineties icons to the kids of today. So I think the show has influenced just pop culture in general, what people are wearing, what people are listening to. Oh yeah, there's a whole strange real that's really seeped through into a lot of a lot of popular popular culture, a lot of reboots. I think. You look at the you know.
Speaker 4: The two new Ghostbusters movies, Yeah, they feel well, you know, you've got the presence of what's his name, Finn Wolfard in there from Stranger Things.
Speaker 3: So but they've got very much that whole eighties amblem, goonies kind of thing as well. But yeah, the Goonies has been through the Stranger Man film. Yeah. Yeah, although Dan days like Goonies, they're back, They're gonna make another movie Beby. And then I saw an article saying both Corey Feldman and Martha Blinton have said, no, I don't think it's happening. Really yeah, I was going to send you that lot. No that it didn't talbum. We want everyone except you still work.
Speaker 4: Saw Coley Fabn's recent concerts and he was like, no, there's a great.
Speaker 3: What's more of a train wreck the Corey Filman concerts or the recent Jane's addiction cos.
Speaker 4: There's a great video online at the moment of Corey Feldman, he plays like this air horn during one of his songs. It's like after circus music. Yeah, yeah, right, but it plays some other horn sound but it's like a little and he gets played the horn it doesn't work, and watching his brain try to contemplate what do.
Speaker 3: I do and this is can't think.
Speaker 4: He starts fiddling with it and he plays and it goes doesn't play it right, and he sort of carries on. You're like, what it's like. It's honestly a train wreck that you can't look away from. Cory, Poor Cory, because he's on gin Comis podcast. Nice guy on Gym Comings podcast. Nice guy.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he's a very nice fellow, but you just can't seem to catch a break professionally speaking. But yes, enough about that. Yeah, let's talk about this icon of the eighties. We're known a writer and her presence in Lisa's Arrival a good fun episode, I thought, Yeah, great appearance. The only thing one of the negatives I've.
Speaker 4: Always had with this episode was that they introduce Alison as one of Lisa's new best friends.
Speaker 3: They almost establish.
Speaker 4: Her as their new main character by being the best friend, let's be best friends only, let's be friends only, were the best and then you see her in crowds, but you never hear from because we don't.
Speaker 3: Never return, Okay, I never I didn't realize that she saw hip pop up.
Speaker 4: She'd be in the school yard, you know, sort of sitting there eating at large or should be with the other cool kids or whatever, just like one of the hits, hanging out. But you never hear her speak again. An why her and Lisa not hanging out anymore? That's always been like, don't end the episode with them going let's be the best of friends.
Speaker 3: I understand why they said it, because mine that wraps up everything at the same time. Yeah, if you can't follow through, then yeah, just don't do it. Yeah, this is advice I've been given so many times.
Speaker 4: I would just say to can you just record like, say, ten or twenty other lines, but we can just slotch you into car into episodes.
Speaker 3: Here and there. Hi, I'm Alie. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But this was the first episode written by Mike Scully, who had gone to become showrunner of The Simpsons. Absolute legend but on the show numerous times. Love our man, Mike Scully. But this was an episode originally pitched by Conan O'Brien. He pitched the idea of Lisa having a rival, didn't elaborate it. It was just Lisa should get a rival.
Speaker 3: Right, the magical comedy brain of Conan o'brien're just throwing great ideas out into the of the universe and Scully picks it up runs with it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Episode and George Meyer of course Simpson's legend as well. He pitched the Homer sugar b plot. Oh, there's so many the a team came together, well you get in look at it right in the writer's room, Lisa's rival and the Homo sugar Bee plot. How they made them work in the same episode.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I don't think they actually overlap it anyway, don't, but they both it works, though, feel disjointed in any way.
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean there's two really good plots running together in sort of parallel. Yeah. Their lines don't intersect or anything like that. They won't do. They don't have to. They're both strong enough and both well contained enough that you get exactly what you need. It would be silly if they tried to make them intersect in some way.
Speaker 4: That's where sometimes we do talking Si Feld. Of course, sometimes the side Fel plots feel a bit convoluted because you think you're just.
Speaker 3: Trying to make all the three.
Speaker 4: This one is just proof that if there does two sold stories, they can run co currently, concurrently and not have to intertwine exactly right. Yeah, but the Homer b plot, what a story. It's so silly, but you know what it is. It works because it's so on point for his impulsive nature.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he's always looking to get rich quick, and he just gets poor slowly, does get rich quick. He wants to get rich quick, but he also wants it's the whole Scarface thing is like he wants the power as well. He wants and it's one of the great little Homer monologues where you know, marj just saying, yeah, give up this sugar dream and the whole it's one of the great American motivational speeches. Barzon and speaks to the character of Homer as well. Then he feels sort of downtrodden, a bit disrespect and he'd love to be, you know, a big man in Springfield. Fantastic, but it's so well written and so well performed by Dan, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: And David Silverman, once he heard Dan's dialogue or he's acting of right of this scene here, he was like, I have to be the one to animate this because this is just too good.
Speaker 3: So the thing is, though the Homer.
Speaker 4: Reference of Scarface there first you get the sugar sugar. So we recently did season nineteen episode where there was a soprano's reference at the start where he killed Grandpa. Hope he killed Grandpa, and I know it was references to sopranos, but it didn't feel timeless. This here is a perfect example of a reference that as a kid you wouldn't get, but you know it's something, and it's still We're watching it in twenty twenty four and it still feels on point and timeless.
Speaker 3: It helps that al Zoey's sort of doing the paccino is Tony accident. I also love home.
Speaker 4: Sorry March in this episode right, just her I don't give a shit nature so so basically she's getting getting no jollies from the sex books. Right then you got she's giving half fast cliche advice Lisa like she's more afraid of you than.
Speaker 3: She doesn't care.
Speaker 4: And then when Homi goes on his massive rand, right and at the end she goes, just get.
Speaker 3: Rid of the sugar?
Speaker 4: Will she just like let she hears me out and she goes, just mate, just get rid of it.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite bits. I don't if we're going to jump ahead of this, but I will say that one of my favorite moments. It's a throwaway line from Marge at the very start when she's trying to get a bit of a bit of March. I sacrificed a really good camera because you think Homer is doing his half hour repairs on the just throwing a camera at him, Go do something, stay away. I want to rid my my pirate romance.
Speaker 4: Even though Marge was not the start of this episode, I thought, this is one of my favorite Marche episodes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, just so relatable. Enjoy a little fabio time.
Speaker 4: It's like we're has she gave the camera to home. It's like when you give the kids something, it's like, go do this. I don't give a ship what you do with it, just leave you alone for five minutes. But this, Yeah, Marge was so relatable in this episode. Also, I liked the Bar and Lisa teamwork aspect as well.
Speaker 3: It's true, yeah, they will have each other's back invariably, but it often takes some time to get there. But it's nice when Bart feels like he can use his evil powers for good and he feels like he's probably gained a little moral high ground by saying, all right, well, this is what I do well, but I'm going to do it in service of my my sister who's clearly hurting, clearly needs a bit of help.
Speaker 4: But she's also turned to the dark side as well, which you'll do occasionally.
Speaker 3: I think we're usually find kind of interesting. It can get a little repetitive every once in a while, but.
Speaker 4: Usually Bart that's helping her as well.
Speaker 3: That's helping it. It's right. That was good.
Speaker 4: I like because Bart prefaces by saying, I know it goes against all your morals, just like me. And yeah, So a couple of fun facts about this episode, well, one I liked in particular Mike's Gully first episode. He wrote, He's got two daughters, right, Alison and Taylor.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: When you have that ability to sort of just fold in your shout out to your family. You know, it doesn't stand out like a sore one or anything like that. It's just you know, his kids watching and going, oh yeah, yeah, they've got a little memento for life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but I mean, Alison Taylor's not not the kind of name that you go, that's good. It means something. It's a name.
Speaker 4: But but see, Taylor is a common last name. But when you sometimes you get people who have two first names as their names. I've got a friend, right, one of my my best mate, Philip Stewart. It's just like it's two names. There's a politician in Australia.
Speaker 3: I think his name is like Stuart Robert.
Speaker 4: Oh that's weird, and yeah, Robert Stewart I can buy Stuart Robert.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not Roberts, which is the normal kind of your son. I'm pretty sure it was Stuart Robert, but Davis like type with our former prime Minister Scott Morrison.
Speaker 4: What about what about the old AFL. Maybe a player, but he was a coach of Hawthorne at one point, Donald McDonald, you're just taking the piss, taken the piss. Why would you do that?
Speaker 3: I have no idea my favorite?
Speaker 4: What were your favorite moments from Lisa's Rival?
Speaker 3: As I mentioned just I sacrificed a really expensive camera Togain to have a little time with my pirate porno book. There was some really great I wouldn't say like one scene characters, but just had little moments. They were just given, I don't know, interesting bits to do. I mean, I really love the voice that they gave Professor Taylor. Oh yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, he's like to bounce it just the perfect level.
Speaker 4: Of So I think is he a good is he is? Alison's had a good guy or a bag.
Speaker 3: I think he's a good guy, but he's condescend he is.
Speaker 4: I don't think he is on a level of the Cotswolds from no, no, but that's I reckon. He's kind of getting there. He's not he's not as like, you know, over the top, because Choe Park's not doing the voice, of course, but he's pretty turns his nose up like he thinks he's better than everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think he's rubbing anyone's face in it. But if you can't keep up, then he's gonna be like, Okay, then fine, because.
Speaker 4: He's smart enough to know that. Often this ball was the most condescending thing you could ever do to this chart.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I did that, Amma. Grain game sucks. Oh man, I would just not go to the Tayler's house. I would never go there.
Speaker 4: No, I don't wonder she has no friends.
Speaker 3: But the voice that I don't know who did it made it sounds a bit Harry Ish.
Speaker 4: Probably was Harry. So Alison Taylor father?
Speaker 3: What was it? Did I say his name? Alvi? Professor Taylor? Professor Taylor? But why are you looking that up there? The other characters are really in love with the beekeepers.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Adam West personation.
Speaker 3: I thought they were doing almost like a spock and chat and the kind of thing. Maybe, Yeah, it's like but yeah, you're right, it is more Adam West. Yeah it was. How is she by the way, mister Taylor. Okay, but those two guys, it's just a weird dynamic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's almost like a Smithers the other guy was.
Speaker 3: A little bit. Yeah, except you know when they actually go to homeless place and they're trying to get the sugar ban, he's the one taking the leave look around shirt hold on.
Speaker 4: I've always loved the Simpson you diabom.
Speaker 3: I thought it was really funny. I just like the way those two work together. What was it? It goes a little too quiet, if you know what I mean. I'm afraid I don't. Yeah, that's just something I really enjoyed.
Speaker 4: And the Millhouse, I didn't do anything. Always lost on me as a kid, never got this. I watch the Fusion and I was just like, that's the bit but the maglasses And the best part about it is I never realized this until I did it for this review at the Dior Rama Rama Millihouse's glasses are broken.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm like, what to call that?
Speaker 4: And then two scenes got two scenes later, there's not two scenes, got two shots later.
Speaker 3: His glasses aren't breaken. I was like you committed to the bit, you need to drop the ball.
Speaker 4: But apparently there was a lot of production issues with this episode.
Speaker 3: Did you read on Wikipedia? I did not.
Speaker 4: So a hurricane went through as was it a hurricane? Believe it was a hurricane and completely destroyed the animation building to the point where it was condemned and they had to like animate most of the episode from home sent them back a whole month. There was a whole month of production, like six months of like shit was just like lost. So I can understand why there would be mistakes like that, but still at least like the initial callback, Let's cut them some slack, cut them some slack. Hurricanes will do that, they will. Yeah, So where what was the hurricane? How me have a look the north Ridge earthquake not a hurricane, an earthquake. So production episode was disrupted by the nineteen ninety four Northridge earthquake.
Speaker 3: Man, this was being made thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: I feel so oh whenever I read these new these facts which also affected the previous episode, but of darkness as well. The film Roman was the building that got destroyed. Anyway, what else did you enjoy from the episode?
Speaker 3: I enjoyed all those What did you like?
Speaker 4: I liked, Yeah, Homer's rant and Margines not giving me a shit.
Speaker 3: He's, oh, what the world, it's melting, It's melting.
Speaker 4: The b guys of course, and yeah, just Marg's overall, I don't give a shit nature in.
Speaker 3: This episode I like to watch. Yes, next question you there eating the Beast Trivia time, mister Davis, trivia time. Hit me with your first question, how many have I got here? I think I might have three or four? Okay, I think I initially had three, And then like, let's repurpose some of these favorite moments into questions because I think I'm a feet unlike Corey Feldman. Ah, what is That's a callback? That's right? My glasses remain unbroken.
Speaker 4: Listeners who skipped through to like this bit because that trivia is their favorite part.
Speaker 3: They're like, what did it call back to? What? I'm going to go back and listen to the whole Corey, I might have to become a patron. What is being advertised on the back of bad.
Speaker 4: First question, Larimy Laramie Junr.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: My next question for you then is what is the number to comment about? How harns moment is driving?
Speaker 3: How am I.
Speaker 4: Driving stick on the back. Oh, he's ripping it off after the crash that I did not see one eight hundred, triple five three eight seven to two.
Speaker 3: Okay, then, speaking of numbers, Ah, how much do you pay for sugar per pound at the grocery store? Thirty five cents thirty five cents opposed to a dollar per pound the time. But you can't get prizes though, that's true, you don't get any broking laws or nails.
Speaker 4: My next question is, besides Dia Rama rama, what is Skinner's other favorite school event?
Speaker 3: Oh, man, no, I've lost it. It's hearing test Thursday, of course. Yes, who are the members of I forgot the name of the band, but their single is born to run her Up? I want to run her up? What the hell is that? Well is Lisa and she's in the band of the the.
Speaker 4: Also ran ah, yeah, so what do you want to know the name of the band?
Speaker 3: He else is in the band?
Speaker 4: In the band, so it's Oats, Yes, it's garth Unkleina that's.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, as in so I'm gonna guf Funkles Loggins and Messina and haller notes yes, hall of notes. I love a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Be careful, right, but they're live version. No, I'm probably wrong, but just me personally. Their live version of You Make My Dreams Come True is always played too fast and like off key when they do it liveause it's one of my favorite songs.
Speaker 3: I've listened to it. It's just like slow down a little bit.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Oh no, they're doing that thing you do where he plays it a bit faster and then it.
Speaker 4: Becomes it's almost like it's like trying to prove that they're playing it lives.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit faster. It's just it's just not quite right. That's not what I was expecting. So I'm gonna have to look up the live version of being Made My dream and whatever. He sings, yes you and he looks it's just like just singing it. You keeps stop pulling a guy talking away from the microphone. That's bad. My final question for you then, No, I was going to go on a big horn ans horn. Now I'm just gonna say how they're great.
Speaker 4: My final question for you is who is Skinner's favorite Star Wars character Chewy? Yes, we haven't mentioned that yet. Ralph was also an MVP in this episode. Because three great Ralph lines.
Speaker 3: That's true. I can live without the my cat's name is Mitten thing. Although I did like the callback. It's all their callbacks this episode. That's true.
Speaker 4: See what happens when the writers my Scully can.
Speaker 3: Just make a little effort a second raft. I did like when he's asked Lisa about you know, the answered the test. She sort of turning him down. Then he's asking Allison and Lisa's got a chime and say, I'm not going to tell you leave me alone.
Speaker 4: Yes, but my cat's smells like Catsh's one of the most iconic ones. It's not necessarily funny, but just the fact that he brought the Star Wars, it's just like, of all people, what was it?
Speaker 3: What is?
Speaker 4: What is It's gonna say? Now we're dregs. That's also great that in the Simpsons they're not afraid to have the teachers just show that this kid's like never gonna win.
Speaker 3: We have to I love the Missover is just completely disinterested. What do you think? I think it's lunch. But is Skinner just really happy because he's seeing these action figures in their box or is he going to keep them? Keep them? Why would he keep them. Well, that's the thing. I mean, he just seems so happy to see them. It's just that's how any Star Wars would reaction. They're all here the original.
Speaker 4: This is before like you know, there was re issues of things. All the original Star Wars kend of figures all been reissued, blah blah blah. Imagine it like it's what it's knowing only four or whatever the.
Speaker 3: Original Star Wars in their package.
Speaker 4: It's just a cool little insight into the Skinner character. Would never see that he's a nerd.
Speaker 3: Like I also like when he when he answered the door, when Ime is going around something or Sugar Marvel also to co during the review.
Speaker 4: But another Skinner moment, they're doing the band auditions and he's just sitting there yawning. So it's like he's just like he has to be because he had because he's the principal. But he doesn't give a shit. Let's get into some Patreon shoutout, shall we? Okay with the stone Cutters.
Speaker 3: Okay, stone Cutters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, starting with the lovely stone Cutter herself number one, Katy G with her one hundred dollars support new Metro Uno Stonecutter. Yeah, thank you, so much, Katy g. Thank you Andrews with your fifty dollar support. Absolute legend as well. We have Alliot Joe right after.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: We have Elliot Joe O'Neil from the Simpsons Index podcast. We have Zach Pruett, our man here are the main editor. What do we call what are going to think of a name for it?
Speaker 3: Don't we? Well? Does the cutters?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's a stone cold cutter, stone cold. And also our a man Andrew Swan who's plexes back going again.
Speaker 3: I think stone colders is a great way to refer to someone. Yeah, what's stone called? Steve os Well? Of course, motherfucker stone cold. Have you heard?
Speaker 4: Have you heard the story about how he got his names stone?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 4: So his wife he made his wife either he made his wife a coffee or she made him a coffee and the hand that had gone cold and they sit there there going god stone cold and he's like stone cold, and it's like I can shave my head, comes the stone colst master because just have long flowing blonde hair.
Speaker 3: I love what like a whole hogan?
Speaker 4: Look, yes, lock long blonde hair.
Speaker 3: I need to see a picture of this. I love it if it was like ninety eight pound weekly or something, and then all of a sudden he's like, wait a minute, stone Cold.
Speaker 4: Pop Eye Spinach and also Jonathan Rossi, Raged Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sewn DV, Pete Anderson, Timothy bels And Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin datel Planned Flood, Shannon Hofer, Ballo Windo Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrick McLeod Lewis Cavanaugh, March, Relieve and Reese, Roberts, Ginger and Pickle Pressed and Murray, Talia and Riquez, check Messado, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Halle and Logan b James Sheppard, Joe d and Say, Dave Pretzels mc nally, Gavin Lang, Damie Miller, and we did get a new Stonecutter as of this morning. Let me just get up their names this morning. As of this morning, their name is Charlie Joe. Thank you Charlie Joe for joining the Stonecutters. Yeah, Charlie Joe, Yes, absolutely legend. Well why is ship there are a hillbilly?
Speaker 3: Yeah, ha, Charlie Joe, Charlie Joe. Then a hillbilly name is it. I don't know what I assume when you've got double when.
Speaker 4: The that's gonna be? It was two names.
Speaker 3: I was a bad do. I was working up to it, but to beat me to it. It's good. It's good. Charlie Joe. Thank you so much. Charlie Joe. Thanks, thanks a bunch for the Stonecutter Quarry. Yes, your stone left uncut. Did you know that?
Speaker 4: By supporting our show on Patreon, you get access to four exclusive podcasts per month, including Talking Signfold, Tales of Futurama, Speaking of the Hill, and the movie Guys. Plus you also get early and add free access to four Finger Discount Go down to south Park TV launch pod, and the one about Friends. That's twenty hours of podcast each month for the cost of a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: Five got it? Got it here?
Speaker 4: So go ahead and support your palace guying down there today at patreon dot com. Slash four finger discount link is in a description of this podcast. All right, mister Davis, let's get into our review of Lisa's Rivals.
Speaker 3: Let's do that.
Speaker 4: So the original air day September eleventh, nineteen ninety four. Now, the reason we picked this episode we should have mentioned at The start was, it's been this week, it's been a week ago.
Speaker 3: What's it five days ago? Now? Yes, five days ago?
Speaker 4: As we record, this is on the sixteenth, my wife's birthday, Hay birthday, Nicola birthday, five days ago. This originally aired thirty years ago. Can you believe it thirty years ago to this week?
Speaker 3: Instead of making a feeling five days ago? It was the anniversary. I know, I get to it.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so it was the week of thirty years ago. Written by Mike Scully and directed by the legendary Mark Kirkland. Guest to writer as Alison Taler. As we discussed chootball gag, No one is interested in my underpants, which was apparently recycled from the first clip show. So it's come to this as Simpsons clip show and the Couch gave the Simpsons swim to the Couch. The episode kicks off with what Miss Davis is playing her sack? She is playing her sax and Homer is not a fan note but he's trying to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He comes in and says, well, you can do whatever you want in my room. I'm gonna do whatever I want in my rooms yea, and reads his issue with bad Boys Life mag with advertising Larry me June's in the back and kicking the wall. Yeah, making it impossible for Lisa to practice her sacks. Now.
Speaker 4: I have commented time and time again that I do find it annoying when Bart is just mean for the sake of being mean, like particularly to Lisa. But as the kids get older, my kids, Holly and Elliott, I've soon realized that Bart is just being a brother and Lisa's just being a sister, and siblings just fight. They do unncessarily, Like the kids be sitting there and I'll start pushing it. I was like, what possessed you to start fighting?
Speaker 3: Why are you doing this?
Speaker 4: You don't like it when he does it to you, you don't like when she doesn't to you.
Speaker 3: Well, what's going on? But when this happens, you know, don't lose. The lesson is then a way they're like, okay, let's practice a little conflict resolution here or on bored little I don't want to do that. Let it play out. Maybe they'll kill each other. I'll get some slet just gay my sex book.
Speaker 5: My these seas are certainly heaving well, no more than your bountiful bothom Milady.
Speaker 3: Does that ering mean you're a pirate.
Speaker 5: Kind of Ah, these seas have quieted, and only in this sweet embrace of quietude can two lovers truly be such noise.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm done for bodle.
Speaker 1: Stop blowing my sex, I mean, stop blowing your sacks, your sacks.
Speaker 3: Stop it. Do men have books like this? Erotic novels?
Speaker 4: Because it's always in you know, in Popcagi say it's it's the women have the that's fifty shades of gray and we're porn, don't we?
Speaker 3: Is that just? Is that just average of novel? I guess? So I was talking about we need pictures. I was talking about this other day actually because my brother in law, Mark married to my sister Margo. What I'm getting it, there's a story, but our birthdays are one day separately, just like you. It was, so he's he he's on the seat. Ye yes. My sister Margo put a very old picture of Mark up on Instagram to celebrate it. And you know, he's twenty something, bare chest has got a tan. He's on a boat reading an eighties copy of Playboy, looking very happy to be doing so who among us? And I gave a shadow for it? And ready Playboy. What you who care? Let that guy educate you. It's not like he was reading Hustler, which is a picture. But you know, Playboy when it was designed was like, here's the here's the best scouch on the market at the moment, here's the best Dario supplies, and you know, here's and here's an interview with Golviadah or something like that. And by the way, he's a lady who's not wearing a whole lot.
Speaker 4: It was always marketed as the upper class, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very much. I mean that was that was Hefner's thing.
Speaker 4: I missed the poor magazine era because by the time I didn't by the time I was an early teen, it was the Internet and it occasionally find a porn magazine in the bushes somewhere years ago.
Speaker 3: I never saw that. Everyone always talks about, you know, finding woods pornography.
Speaker 4: I found one once and it was just like, we became men.
Speaker 3: Why are you going to I don't know who's been touching this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you kids, you're like, oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But I mean I get the feeling I was fighting a losing battle trying to explain that Playboy was actually like a legitimate magazine that also had naked like.
Speaker 4: Dick up stupid, I'll dig my my house.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was. I was team Playboy and.
Speaker 4: Was Playboy thing it is for a while there it was like I hate to use the two and woke, but it was like, Okay, we're gonna have women in there beginning to be wearing clothes.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, that's Vogue. That's just any magazine that's that's yeah, that's Women's Weekly.
Speaker 4: What was the teenage version of Playboy? Zoom Magazine? Was Zoom Magazine?
Speaker 3: Ohyeah, on those lad mags from the nineties. Yeah fhm, and.
Speaker 4: That was two thousands because it was a high school for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh okay, but yeah, they really started to kick in in the nineties. But yeah, fahm goes bikini kicking around and whatever. Yeah, can you get you?
Speaker 4: Like I think it was like once a month, like your Zoo cards, like a different cards or whatever you sent away Cooper or whatever, and you're like chicks was like body paint. You're like, let's take pocketing that. We have moved on from that, Yes, I was fourteen, No.
Speaker 3: Well not justin Yeah, society has moved on and Daniel and I have moved on. Yeah, yeah, well Dan I has moved on. But but it was just being oh yeah, but but Margin is of course reading her.
Speaker 4: Yes, because she sent Homer to the garage to fix her camera, and yeah, Homos's not doing a very good job.
Speaker 3: But as you said, March, I like it when yeah, Homer's stupidity is sort of masked with he's not going ooh h dude on the dummies, more like we're gonna need a bigger drill. Yes, I thought that was really great. I also liked when when Marge was reading her normal and it's clearly Hanker's area doing one of his fruity voice. Oh yeah, does that? Does that mean you're a part kind? Now? We discussed recently.
Speaker 4: You didn't realize this that the piercing in the left ear meant that you was like a reference that you were gay when I was a kid. That was almost like you never got your left earpiece. You've got earp had to be both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Did we talk about this, because I mean and he were just like I never heard of that, and I was like, oh no, I had talked about it.
Speaker 3: Somebody.
Speaker 4: Maybe I was talking to you, I think yeah, because because it was always like I was always like, you've got to have it in a specific ear because otherwise it's cod that That's That's how I felt in the nineties. Any when I was a kid, It's like you have to get the right ear piers because from mid to late nineties, and The Simpsons did a joke about it with the Simpson Tired episode where he goes into the in the nuclear sub and barkeets his ear pissed or the boy don't make were getting newar pissed, and I was like, Dad's.
Speaker 3: Like, you're not going to go fucking near pissed. And I was like, I don't want my ear pissed. Have you ever had your ear I never wanted to. I had one, so I had it like in the nineties, I had one like ear pierced, and I'm very big on symmetry. I don't like having so you have to have two pretty much. Yeah, And after like like a few days of having this thing, and it's like, I don't think this is me and it doesn't feel right.
Speaker 4: I've seen a guy get a nose ring ripped out of his nose. His dad it was brutal. His dad came home with a nose ring and his dad just yanked out of his nose. It's fucking intense, man.
Speaker 3: Imagine so fun fact. I'm going to just get away from that because it's really disturbing. I don't know if this is correct, but it makes sense. Do you know why? You know you had sailors who always had an ear ring? Yeah, you know why that was the case if they were if they died away from home, the gold in the ear rings could be used to fund their burial.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, yeah, so they have to have really expensive earrings.
Speaker 3: Wellthough usually like gold or something.
Speaker 4: Well, you wouldn't it be always panicking about like losing your ear ring. It's well, we'll lose my earring. How are we gonna get home if I die? Because that's not you don't really care if you're dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it's just more like you're not going to throw them in the ditch. You might actually dig me. I could be wrong, but that's something I heard and I thought that scans that makes sense.
Speaker 4: That's one of those one of those facts was like it could check out. To clarify whether it actually does check out, I'm just going to say, yeah, that's yeah, that makes sense. I'm going to use as any don'tor parties going forward, and then you know, have no more conversations with party is like it gives some of the story about the earrings.
Speaker 3: How do you invite God?
Speaker 4: But yeah, So basically Marge's having her her little moment with her her alone type pirate. Yea, Lisa blows her sex. She means sex, and she says she's auditioningly for first chair in the in the band. She needs a practice, but she can't do it inside. She just to do it outside. This is where the flannder is here, and I think it's Gabriel's trumpet.
Speaker 3: It's Judgment Day.
Speaker 4: That's one of the more common or more quoted Roden todd Ones moments. Yeay, Judgment Day. I couldn't have told you which episode it was from.
Speaker 3: Okay, whenever I think of them just being happy about death all that kind of thing, like not even that, but just godly stuff, godly phenomena who prayed for giant shoes? I did. Really, that's what you pray? You got him so good.
Speaker 4: For you went out school and Ralph asked Lisa for an answer on the on the test and Lisa, we give it to him. It's like, Lisa, I know you're technically right, but just kill my Throw a dog a bone?
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Well? Throw a catabone?
Speaker 6: Now here's an oral extra credit question. What was Christopher Columbus actually looking for when he discovered America? Oh, anyone besides Lisa for a change, Ralph, this better not be about your cat.
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh all right, Columbus was looking for a passage to India.
Speaker 6: Oh, correct, Alison, and on your very first day on our class, and during.
Speaker 2: A subsequent voyage, Columbus found what is now the continent of South America.
Speaker 6: Yaoie, I never made.
Speaker 4: Miss yooie, establishing already what three minutes in we have a rival?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 4: Yes, Lisa goes over and introduces herself. She reveals that she's only seven years old. Now, I also not gonna lie this episode here. For some reason, my brain always assumed she was a new kid, new to Springfield. But no, she's always been at the school. She was just a year below.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but because Lisa's in grade two, so she skipped grade one. I was like, ah, so she's just okay, it makes sense. Why she that I guess.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's like the writer's actually thought about it but has always seen the new kid. But no, she's just a nerd.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Lisa, and she's been skipped a grade. So Lisa hyperventilates here, hypervent no no, no, none.
Speaker 3: R all.
Speaker 4: But she's she's surprised that, Lisa, I'm surprised you haven't been skipped as well. You're so smart and yeah, I'm all my best friends here. The boys push her over, and.
Speaker 3: She's gonna be questions. Who pushed her over? Was the someone that we know? No? No, but they said her name? Oh no, what was was Sarah? Sarah? Okay?
Speaker 4: And it's funny how they just established these like bullies. They give him a name. It's like, but they're not a character.
Speaker 3: No, bullies have become characters in well flesh out, Yeah, isn't that. But yeah, the girl girl, I mean, you just want to get terry and cherry. But they're bitchy, aren't they. Yeah, they're not really bullied so much as more just like my games.
Speaker 4: This is getting married a can you're a bull van University? But she says that she's also going for first chair and just the whole me too, Me too. I think we're gonna be the best of friends. Yeah, me too. To have established the rival. But is now driving home with Homer? You actually doing with the driving because he was ending a pizza eating whilest driving. It's not as easy as you would say, as.
Speaker 3: You would think that was why burgers were invented. Why is that? Well? On one hand, I guess yeah, yeah, I mean are you are you what? You got chips?
Speaker 4: Chips in the console, chips in between your legs, chips and the console console.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I know. I had a great sort of setup when when my friend Anthony and I would go to Melbourne when we were both reviewing movie. I think you've told this story. Yeah, we'd always stop at the the Now Now Gone. They were the best time. There were KFCs on either side of the West Gate, Dave to the RKFC on the way there and on the way home, get it coming and going. I don't even care. We loved it. Don't tell that I want to go to Melbourne. But we yeah, go to screening, stop off either get some lunch or some dinner. And it was the old fashioned KFC too. It was too so I have the setup. So I was like, okay, well, just as I'm pulling out, I'm gonna have the burger iun wrapped in my lap, the chips and the console, the drink and the console. Anthony's not driving, so we can hold all this stuff. It's my car. I get the console, like I got this sorted. Yeah, never really never spilled anything or anything like that, although yeah, every once in a while you get home, like, no, there's a chip on the ground. Is it still good? It's just a little, it's just had my feet near. It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 4: I always struggle though, when I've got food on my lap, the balance, especially when you're trying to turn the corner and the wheel sort of like boopsie and the wheel sort of like touch it because sometimes it might drink. I'll put the drink between because the kids have their drinks. I'm like, well, I've got a way to put mine, So put my mine between my legs and I'm turning the wheel. I'm like, what are we gonna do here?
Speaker 3: Having said that, I would never pull a home, I'd never eat a pizza while I was driving. It's a bit outlandishes. That's a bit much.
Speaker 4: But if you buy a pizza, though, I always did a pizza on the way home. Do you do you wait to get home? You wait to get home?
Speaker 3: Why do you get I can't do it. I haven't at least have a bite.
Speaker 4: I'm like, because is there anything better than freshly off out of the oven pizzas By the time you get home it's a little bit cool. We might have to reheat a little bit, I like, idiot, when it's hot from the shop.
Speaker 3: The flavors have found the seep in though, and also that tingle of anticipation, Like jacqu said.
Speaker 4: Give a shout out to your pizza placet what's on zozos?
Speaker 3: Yeah, friend of the pod. Yes, although I mean, I'm trying to not eat pizza as much because it's it's all garbs. But it's so delicious though, and it's not deep fried. At least that's true. That's true. A pizza for.
Speaker 4: Lunch, we're having I'm having pizza for dinner. C it's Nicholas birthday.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Where do you get it from? Attitude? Uh no, so we got it from.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of good places around here. I usually go to our pals. It would have from pizza friend of the dinner on the front of pot.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 4: And there's a place Donny Bok Road near my parents place. They've got an old they're like the old school. Big Mom has been there for like thirty years. She's still working there. She's out the back making the day. And you're like, you know, this is going to be a proper pizza.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I don't think I'm in the middle of Donny book Road. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been. It's just Normine pizza. It's called It's just it's I have been there forever.
Speaker 3: Oh pizza. Okay, let's let's move on.
Speaker 4: But home's eating the pizza. So Bart has to drive the car. Dear cat or cat deer.
Speaker 3: Oh man.
Speaker 4: They used to do this occasionally. Grandpa wasn't working for the episode, but he'd just be like, you know, the turtle would get his teeth, or he'd be like the old man's proof of files and things like that, and they Mum was jackknifed his sugar truck, so he give him a quarter to go call for help.
Speaker 3: Only the sugar was sweet as you, sir, Yes we can.
Speaker 4: Beverly Hill Billy's reference here, Why God Texas Tea sweetener.
Speaker 3: Never got that joke as a kid either.
Speaker 6: God, isn't this stealing?
Speaker 1: You need your towne charter boy? If food stuff should touch the ground, said, food stuff shall be turned over to the village idiot. Since I don't see him around, start shoveling.
Speaker 4: Lisa then interrupts March again with her book. What are you doing, Lisa? Let let your mom have a moment. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Lisa is wondering why she hasn't been bummed up a grade. You know, maybe she could have been nicer to printal skinner.
Speaker 4: I am nice, I am nice. And Homer has loaded the dinner with sugar sugar, yes, which he found in the forest.
Speaker 3: As he says, yeah, yes, and.
Speaker 4: He explains his his scheme is gonna sell for a dollar. March from the get go's like this is never gonna work. This is reridiculous. Yes, Now we're at the auditions and Jimbo with his tamburine has been practicing over the summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and poor older is it Martin with his is loot right? Yeah? I like that.
Speaker 4: The loose just become his thing. We just did the dial in for Nerda and he was playing the lute. He wasn't dead, Yeah, to become his thing. Skin is just there yawning away, which I thought was a nice little bit of detail, because you know, teachers do these things, and now that Elliot's at school, I see the teacher. I'm just thinking, I know, you can't be fun to doing this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but it's just part of the thing. When you're growing up, you think, oh wow, they must be so happy to be here and so charged to teach us, and you know, dialed in every second. It's like any nine to five job or nine to three job or whatever they've got. It's like, I can't wait for this to be over.
Speaker 4: Because Elliott did swinging lessons last week, right, that's how they do it now. School school swiming lessons used to be once a week. You'd go down on a Friday or whatever. Do you swing lessons? Now it's they booked the pull out for the week and the school dismash that's Monday to Friday, and have had better results. Right, So, because kids now doing it every single day, build their confidence uping and it's worked.
Speaker 3: Valley.
Speaker 4: He now put his head into the water, huge milestone for Alliot would never put his hand under the water. Well, anyway, so he gets back on Friday. I was like, what would you do after you got back from simulasons? He goes, we watched Finding Nemo. I was like, the whole movie. I'll just bit. He goes the whole movie and then Nicholas kind of like, I'm nice to see the learning and I was just like, you know what, these teachers have it hard. We struggled to have Alliot I hope for three hours over the teacher and those were the best days.
Speaker 3: Went oh yeah, so everybody win.
Speaker 4: Back in back in the nineties, maybe even in the eighties, the teacher would wheel in the TV absolutely, today is going to be a good day.
Speaker 3: Oh, everybody's seen the meme of like, yeah, when when the av unit is being rolled in, it's like, oh, you know, you're in for a good day. Teachers are probably going off the starf from having a dart. We don't care. It's like when we get in the movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they knew that the kids were singing and these kids were working about It's.
Speaker 3: Like whatever, whatever, this is not going to be on the test exactly right.
Speaker 4: Good times, yes, but had their sacks off. I really I never usually enjoyed this moment when I was younger, I enjoyed it. Here, So the bait and switch, Lisa waking up thinking it's a dream. Oh, and she goes and then she falls asleep. This says not a dream. I always just thought it was stupid, but I like it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, no, it's well directed, I think as well, because you think the first is going to be a commercial break, Yeah, that's not.
Speaker 3: But also just the sacks off between the two of them, like, yeah, this is one put together the world.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and clearly it's pitched this episode. The way it's sort of Lisa's position is that she's the bag. She's always competing. Allison was competing here too, Yeah, both at each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well it's I always say it was like, you know, some of the people you dislike the most people who are like you the most. Yeah, And it's funny.
Speaker 4: We had a couple of kids, one kid in particular, who skipped up to our class in primary school. And those two kids, one in particular, did have that aura of like, mister Taylor, of I know you think you're better than me because you skipped a class. But by the time they were like out in the sky a yard is like, let's play sports. No, he's bigger than you me. But they would always have that little sense of arrogance too, And I feel like you get that with Alison here a little bit. She seems lovely, but as we see this moment, she also wants to win.
Speaker 3: Oh of course, yeah. I mean someone with the room full of trophies like she's got. Yeah, it's clearly got to have some got to have some dog in them.
Speaker 4: And they never really talk about it in the episode. It's not really part of the story. But do you think they could have included the element of mister Taylor pressuring Allison or do you think I'm going to have been too much?
Speaker 3: I think it would have been a bit much. I think this episode has enough ill as it is. Yeah, I mean, this episode is well written enough and well made enough that you could probably slide it in it fairly subtly. But I don't know. I don't think it needs it. I don't think it does.
Speaker 4: It doesn't need it. No, no, of course not no. But Lisa goes to Mars. She feels so average and you're always number one to me, first born's within earshot, the number one girl. Then may be disappointed. I relate to this because it's just like I'm just trying to hear with the child. It's it's not important. But sometimes I'll say they'll say, I'll say the kid's time for bed, right, and they'll run to bed and hotly jump in the bedroom first, and Sugar, I win and it's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, I was like, it doesn't matter. It's not a competition. It doesn't matter. Guys want to be doing it.
Speaker 4: But you know, it doesn't matter how good you are, They'll always be someone better than you. That's actually good advice. Oh yeah, absolutely, don't worry. You're never gonna be the best at anything.
Speaker 3: And even the best in the world sort of constantly either looking over their shoulder or looking at going I've got to beat that.
Speaker 4: You might be the best in the world at this moment, but they're guarantee is probably someone else in his world that's probably better than you, but just don't realize it.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they haven't had the opportunity to get to.
Speaker 3: Where you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there will always be someone better than you.
Speaker 3: Said. Never one comes to the podcasting and you know she's more scared of you.
Speaker 4: You're thinking of bears mother so Homer's now doing Daughter or Sugar at the Skinner's house. Sometimes they think, I think they make skin it a little bit too childish. I thought this was one of those moments. I'm a big boy, I could do what I want. I'm like, we'll do without that, But he gets grounded.
Speaker 3: Did you know that?
Speaker 4: By supporting our show on Patreon, you get access to four exclusive podcasts per month, including Talking sign Fold, Tales of Futurama, Speaking of the Hill, and the movie Guys.
Speaker 3: Plus you also.
Speaker 4: Get early and add free access to four Finger discount Going down to south Park TV launch pod, and the one about Friends. That's twenty hours of podcast each month for the cost of a cup of coffee.
Speaker 3: Fie, God, it got here, So.
Speaker 4: Go ahead and support your palas Guyandan there today at patreon dot com. Slash four finger discount link is in a description of this podcast. Ralph then asks Alison for help and Lisa, I can't help you either, leave me alone. Lisa sees Alison being bullied, She's like, oh, that used to be my face in the mud, and Bark gets the idea, the robber spider idea. Here. This moment just kind of yeah, a bit silly. I guess they're just trying to make him out like he's a bit imature. Anyway, he offers to dig up dirt on Alison for Lisa, and he says it's kind of like how I got the millhouse on America's Most Wanted. Yeah, and they chasing him through the yard, just setting up the big fugitive moment in a few scenes. Then he gives I like this though, So I guess that firste that Robber Spider was a setup for this punchline here.
Speaker 3: That's true's And also I think it's not as funny as when say Homer, as I said earlier, when he's messed up or whatever, but being kind of ooh yes and being kind of sophisticated with it or whatever. But when Bart is like being kind of grown up in his silly pranks and thinking, oh, note to myself, do this, do this. I get where you're coming from, and it's sort of like a connection to the way Homer does things. But yeah, I don't really like it as much.
Speaker 1: And you didn't think i'd make any money. I found a dollar while I was waiting for the bus.
Speaker 3: While you were out earning that dollar, you lost forty dollars by not going to work.
Speaker 1: The plant called and said, if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in.
Speaker 3: Monday for day weekend classic.
Speaker 4: You know what's good about it? Acknowledging that he still does have a job. That's true, yes, because now it's just hope he's got a new job this week. No reference to the power plan at all doesn't matter anymore in season nineteen. But Lisa's now looking at all of her awards and she just know it. There's no Shaman being second Q. What's the band called?
Speaker 3: I forgot what the name of the band was called.
Speaker 4: But there's their number two hit. Yeah, but why.
Speaker 3: Will they come to Bullis? But yeah, as we said before, it's yeah Garf. I like the idea of Garfuncle being sort of lesser to Simon. I mean, everybody likes Paul Simon, of course, but garnbg was pretty good, lovely voice. I guess maybe he didn't contribute as much. Maybe. Yeah, Also is that these are the second in the in the naming, like both Simon and garfungle logs, and maybe that's the joke, yeah, as opposed to them being sort of lesser. Yeah, it's like, you know, Dan Owen guy. He keeps calling it, keeps on called guy and Dan I keep saying, no, no, no, it's Daniel. But I got born to runner up. It's actually that's that's pretty clever that I get the feeling that's the sort of not the that was the germ of the joke, and they reverse engineered it from that.
Speaker 4: I feel like, of these moments here, it's like they made the punchline then found there. Yeah, but but has found nothing on Alison. There's nothing that sort of no dirt to dish up. But he's tipped the feds US through wear mealhouses and we get the ug can.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 4: One of the greatest meme setups of all time. He can just for anything.
Speaker 3: Was that just one of the great movie moments as far as I'm concerned. That's fair. I remember seeing the Future in the cinema and.
Speaker 4: One of your favorite films, isn't it It's really good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Oh yeah, you always say it's always it. It's good. The Fugitive No One's you can't really say anymore, would stream or anything like that, But you know it's like when it was on the on the TV like Sunday Night of the Movies.
Speaker 4: No one's pot on the Fugitives. It looks like we're watching the Fugitive. For me, it was Connair. When I was a kid, I was like, if Connor is on, I am not I'm dropping my plans. Hey baby, no date? Watch yesterday, Nikola, Oh fantastic.
Speaker 3: We had a birthday? Did a plan to cancel it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: But I remember seeing in the cinema and just that bit when I didn't kill my wife. I don't care, Holy mol that was on the table. He didn't care.
Speaker 4: So Lisa says, I need to stop being so petty. She is a wonderful person. And as Bart says, you know, who compete? Why compete with someone who's going to kick you. But anyway, then she goes to Allison's house and Professor Taylor's there. Glad someone's here who can joins for an anagram game?
Speaker 3: Not fun at all? Not fun.
Speaker 4: No, It's like when you go to a trivia night. The questions are too hard, Like I didn't come here to feel stupid.
Speaker 3: No, no, I came here to boast my house. Smart I am. I'll take the old l but I need more ws.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly. I tried to think of something for Jomy's on. I spent about three seconds. I couldn't think of anything.
Speaker 3: Oh god, no, no, I mean Jomy's a yeah, you and I'm not dumb people coming up with anagrams in your head. It's like, no, no, I need a piece of paper and a couple of hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look good, But Ali Ginnison genuine class works.
Speaker 3: That does work. Yeah, yes, I like to.
Speaker 4: Think too, Nah, because I don't think Alison has many friends, if at all. So it's just imagine if like Professor Taylor and Allison had this little setup where it's like, i'll say, a Guinness.
Speaker 3: I was thinking the exact same thing to make you seem smarter than her. Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. I'm watching this is a this is a setup. I'm glad we were thinking that exact same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, they told you he's a bad guy. He's a monster. He's the heel of this episode. I love you is a good guy. He's a monster, He's a heel. Lisa gets there, Lisa's coming over.
Speaker 4: She's she's my rival. She thinks she's gonna get my first chair, I beat her at that. I'm gonna bring it in a few peaks, all right, I'll ask you al Guinness then scam anagram, scam.
Speaker 3: Like it. I like it.
Speaker 4: That's very good for a first try.
Speaker 3: I have the ball.
Speaker 4: Perhaps you'd like to bounce it, and perhaps as well.
Speaker 3: You're patronizing prick, But it's like takebacks on the nice things I said about you.
Speaker 4: Perhaps you'd like to bounce it. Then she shows off her awards room and she's made the diorama of the Telltale Heart from ad gall and Poe. It's weeks before the diorama rama. So does that mean like weeks of transpire we're doing the sugar because Lisa is weeks before the diarramaama. And then we get to the dioramaama. So Homan is not working for weeks.
Speaker 3: You're really hung up on home and not going to work. That's how you always bring up how long was he doing the sugar scheme for? But I don't know.
Speaker 4: But she drops the ball and it's on the foot, got away from you. Huh, that was actually had it?
Speaker 3: We come back.
Speaker 4: Homer is asleep by by Strigar, by his sugar, and the strong must protect the sweet in America.
Speaker 1: First you'll get the sugar, then you'll get the power, then you'll get the women.
Speaker 4: This is one of the most iconic Homer moments, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in between that I've written down and I do it again.
Speaker 4: I don't know who that's the guy who stuffs the Englishman. That's it speak, he says, I'm paranoid. She's like, just been parallel. You know why? That was great? You dropped your guard for just a second. Do it again.
Speaker 3: Such a random moment. But yeah, I'm sorry didn't put that in my favorites because I thought that was hilarious. And I do it again.
Speaker 4: Good days off one of the things. Why did Americans think that English people saying good day? I've been England numerous times.
Speaker 3: I know you've taken it. You've taken issue with representations of englishness, yes, or just like you know, shrimp on the barbie. Yeah, we don't say shrimp, and we don't even put him on at be mined but not really seafood in my steaks. What are you doing? I mean, I don't eat shellfish or anything like that. I've got a mild allergies. And plus even just looking at him like no oyster is not appealing to no, no, none of it. Fish is just generally not an appealing meal. Nah. I mean, if it's a nice filet, it's like, oh that looks pretty good. They a nice piece of salmon, or a nice a good bit of FLA good bit of flake, can't go wrong.
Speaker 4: But shark FYI, Oh yeah, Nikola, I have an English face.
Speaker 3: She come with it.
Speaker 4: She was like, goes to the fish and chip shop and goes, can I have a piece of shark and everyone shops like, don't cause sharks so weird.
Speaker 3: But I mean looking at like, oh no, I'm looking at a prawn or a shrimp. It's like I don't want to eat that. It's her eyes. Yeah, bet that's the Beaties. Or even a crab or a lobster. It's like, no, I don't know, but I was gonna ask if you were head surf and turf. No. No, see that just doesn't seem appealing to me either. No, that's that's fucking a boover good steak.
Speaker 4: But it's just like Nicholas sometimes cooks like salmon in the oven. Right, I'll get home and there's this salmon just threat the house, and I'm just.
Speaker 3: Like it smells like seven, we're gonna have to.
Speaker 4: Buy a new house again, Nicko. But he goes on his rand here because he can't live the button down life.
Speaker 3: I know he wants the terrifying hoe, terrifying low, terrifying hose as well, well, Guy Davis, terrifying hose, which would have made me seventeen. Sorry, sorry, ladies, go around terrifying nose, h terrifying Low's dizney Hires, creamy middles.
Speaker 4: Creamy sent You always see creamy centers, Yeah, you go with it, biscuits. Creamy center sounds better. It's the even though it's doesn't. It's it's pronounced diferently. It's deliteration. Creamy senters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it would make more sense for Homan to say this, given that he probably enjoys a creamy biscuit. He probably enjoys an oreo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but sure, I'll live to be the Dahi of the so called city fathers who clucked their tongues, shook their beards and talking about what's to be done with this horm with Simpson, but just get rid of the sugar. And that's when the bees arrived themselves.
Speaker 3: That was great. I'm defending themselves somehow.
Speaker 4: Who would have thought you get so many great moments out of Homer with a pile of sugar.
Speaker 3: I know, but Lisa is now handcrafted.
Speaker 4: Because she's obsessed to be beating Allison. Handcrafted all seventy five characters of Oliver twists and then unfortunately though, it blows away with the bitter snowstorm. Is it okay? The important thing is we survived. As a Bart suggests, well, you think it suggest sabotage, but it's not. If the joke is you suggest just hosing your name with the host, Lisa's like, what a bit of sabotage that could work as well? So the bee keepers here, we get there. As we discussed, it's quiet quiet. I can see why you were thought it was Shatner. Yeah, but it's also very Adam West.
Speaker 3: It's almost a bit sort of.
Speaker 4: Shedding delivery with Adam West.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also a little zab Branigan and Kiff. Yeah, it is very much that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you know what I mean, I'm afraid I don't.
Speaker 3: To the big veal you.
Speaker 4: Mean, but that's just it's just the Simpson. You die, Bollyicle, you die Barley. I'm a whate now, and they offer him two thousand dollars to get the get the hord back whatever. What's a group of bees called swarm? Swarm swarm back? Yes, and the restarts hold on. The bees are going away, so they walk off. It's melting.
Speaker 3: It's melting.
Speaker 4: Reference Oh what the world? And as Homer says, mountain of sugar is too much for one man. That's why they always give it to us. And there's little packets. Now it's dire rama rama day. And the first thing we see is the wrath.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's very good. Wrath, Yes, yes, very good. Wrath. Utah. I beg you, I love that? So good is it? I beg you to look at He's second, You're fat ship.
Speaker 4: He shows him restrained, but then brings in an e fake and creates a diversion.
Speaker 3: Turn this weight right now, Barton, he's doing stuff. I love that he's doing stuff.
Speaker 4: But also Skinner stop creating a diversion to get out of here. But then it's revealed she swapped the dioramas and it's just a cow's heart and Skinner really goes to town on Allison. It's like he has this random it becomes about him, his own life, elementary schools where I ended up and it's truly do anything about it now, It's like, oh ship, this guy has issues.
Speaker 1: Frankly, I'm starting to regret skipping your head.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I hear something.
Speaker 3: Why here's Allison's real Diama he got misplaced?
Speaker 1: Oh well it changes everything. Let's have a look. Get the ribbon roady, Oh little sterile, no real insight. What do you think, miss Hoover? This has been a very disappointing day, and Lisa Simpson, you're.
Speaker 3: Showing now, Lise back to the way I behave. I don't deserve to win.
Speaker 1: Well, this doesn't deserve to win.
Speaker 4: What I love that because in most shows Alison would have won.
Speaker 3: Yes, you get a moral lesson out of it. I think they're beaten by Package Star Wars figures. That's the greatest man.
Speaker 4: They're all here, still in the display box, Luke and Chewie my favorite Jewey, they're all here.
Speaker 3: What do you think? I think it's lunchtime.
Speaker 4: Hoover is like, she's so relatable, like makes it super sexy too, just like chickens no shits?
Speaker 3: You think? How is this woman not married?
Speaker 4: Ya?
Speaker 3: Come on? Bad pat The day off work. Oh fine, I've got this abstinute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just spend the day then, and they made the joke in a lot later season of But when he gets older and a few dropsent he sleeps Miss Hoover, he already says to her, I know now, I know why they call you miss Hoover.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh bye, goodness me cheepers tererevanah holes.
Speaker 4: But they're walking home now, and Lisa says there's no showing losing to you, and losing is at the end of the world. As Alison says, they're all friends. Can we still be friends? I only wear the best of friends, yes, which is yeah, I said. I get why they did it to wrap up this story. It doesn't make sense going forward, but whatever.
Speaker 3: Well it doesn't really end with that though. It ends with the yeah, Ralph I beat smart Kids yes, and Ralph bending is.
Speaker 4: Wookie yes, and ends with my well, they said come home and watch play the Anagram game again. Allison's set him up for fail, like you know, he's not gonna be able to do it.
Speaker 3: But he's got that real sort of rain man brain for it's all that elliot brain where you can handle the match on the honestly, so although it was one of our funniest bits. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: So, uh, we're out for breakfast yesterday, right, and Dad's like, this is two weeks ago Gelong played for Adelaide right in the fire race, right, and Dad's like all this victory. Dad's like, how many goals did Geelong kick? I can't remember? And Ali goes twenty goals and eight eight points, one hundred and thirty eight. I'm like, how the hell did you remember that? He's just always got that youthful sponge brain. We'll wake up this morning. He's just watching some random AFLW game, Like he's just obsessed with football. Today's forty day for him. So he's in his footy jumper with the number on the back. He's footy shorts, his mouth guarding.
Speaker 3: He loves it. Man.
Speaker 4: Oh is it an absolute element? Yes, but that's it of Lisa's rival. That is the end of an amazing episode that I one of the ones I'd never given up credit.
Speaker 3: It's a good choice by you. You're sort of sprung and honest, you know, yes, Well, last when we were recording Boping a discount regular edition, I suppose West for you. Let's yeah, let's do a let's do a classic, let's do a vintage, but which one? And then he sprung this like and he's got his reasons, you know, is back.
Speaker 4: But the last episode, did you see the little image?
Speaker 3: Just like it's the sugar? Sugar? So no good choice, And I'm glad we talked about it, because, yeah, a lot of a lot of good stuff in this episode.
Speaker 4: I think Homer's b plots like the sugar one, the beer Baron's another one like, oh, it's home with the beer baron, it's Homer with the sugar. What's another one? Homer like a side hustle mister Plower, mister Plowers and other.
Speaker 3: That that's really the whole episode's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there's just some side stories like oh you could eat buffet.
Speaker 3: That's also great, just one of the great punchlines of all And then what happened? We weren't fishing brilliant, brilliant as was Lisa's rival. So yeah, thank you for suggesting it. I'm happy we talked about it. We hope that you're happy we talked about it.
Speaker 4: Yes, if you're watching this on YouTube, please hit the subscribe button. Give us the thumb up and comment blow tell us what you thought about Lisa's rival, and if you're listening, please rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Reviy. Do listen to this show. We would really appreciate and really help the show grow getting put in front of more.
Speaker 3: Eyeballs and more ears listeners.
Speaker 4: Wise, also, please, if you can do so, support us on Patreon to get early access to this show and all the other shows we do here on the four finger of Discount Network, including going down to South Park.
Speaker 3: What's that toy show we have to do? Talking well timmy watch pot doing TV launch pot You thought the other one.
Speaker 4: Yes, So we're in the midst as we record this of launching a new podcast with a pretty famous Beati man.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's way till we record our verit. We've done a pilot episode there went pretty well, all concerned, we're happy, but we're going to do an actual episode that we're actually going to put that into the world. Yeah, let's record it and edit it and send it out before we actually say, here it is with so and so and such and such such and there and there's no such and such. You said you promise such and such. We got so so.
Speaker 4: So, they're very so so podcast. All right, guys, thank you again for obviously Portma Sudamis. Any final words for those incredible listeners slash viewers out there.
Speaker 3: We hope you've enjoyed fourfing a discount the podcast Whether Strong Protects the Suite