Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a special bonus episode of after Dark, where we're going to be doing a spoiler cast slash in depth discussion on The Medium, the latest triple A horror game from Bluebird Team, which is my favorite studio name I think I've heard in a while. It is a Xbox exclusive available on Game Pass, just came out a week ago, and we're going to talk about it because it's a very story heavy game and I think there's a lot to discuss in terms of what we liked and what we didn't like. If you haven't had a chance to play the game yourself, don't worry. We're going to keep it relatively spoiler free for the first part so that you can just kind of get our initial impressions of the game, and then we'll make a clear distinction when we're.
Speaker 2: Going into spoilers.
Speaker 1: I am John Wick Psyche, and I am joined by Jordan remain Associated, who reviewed the Medium for Game Spot. You gave it a nine out of ten.
Speaker 3: I have to say I was a little bit worried about that at first. I'm like, what if I like this game way more.
Speaker 1: Than I guess you'll find out, And then I am joined by Ptil Hornshaw, who is an editor and played the game.
Speaker 2: Played it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, let's just get right into it with our initial thoughts. Jordan, as you kind of said you were a little worried it is a divisive game. I would say, not just based on kind of what it is. It's a horror game. It's a It feels very much like a throwback to like older horror games. You know, I think a lot of people making comparisons to Silent Hill or Resident Evil. You look at the Blueber Team's previous games, like Layers of Fear, they did, the Observer, that Blair Witch game that came out a couple of years ago. All of those games, I would say, are kind of mixed where I either hear people being like didn't like it, or people like swear by them, like all this game is great. So I mean, yeah, why don't we just go right into it? Jordan? But what was your overall takeaway with the game?
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed it. Bluebird Team has for the longest time kind of existed. As you said before, the reviews for their games have been very polarizing. People either really enjoy their games or they're just not that big a fan of them, and I think for most of their games, I've kind of existed in the Yeah, I can kind of see what they're going for, but this isn't exactly for me. The Medium is the first game for them that's been able to resonate for me specifically. I'm not quite sure if it's just the way that they dove into the notion of trauma, if it was just the Stellar soundtrack, if it was the just awesome voice acting of the two stars Kelly Burke and Troy Baker just doing fabulous work, Troy being just the creepiest, creepiest monster voice that I think.
Speaker 1: I have no idea, but you don't think of him. It's so funny. People think of him as like, ah, it's you know, it's Troy Baker. He does kind of like the wise, cracking type character. He does like a Joel but like he that dude's got some range, you know, like he can do really like the Maw is terrifying.
Speaker 3: I said, just just listening to him, Like when I was writing the review, Steve, one of his comments that he left was, you know, you say how good Troy Baker's performance is, you should really describe what the mos sounds like. I'm like, I have no idea to describe what this thing sounds like. I have no idea what well of deprave creativity he like found, But half of me hopes he never finds it again because that was the creepiest voice I think for a months.
Speaker 1: So I ever, it's the way it constantly like pitches and changes tones, and he's going back and forth from like sounding really sweet to being like super aggressive. Like it's it's so off putting in how he talks.
Speaker 4: Yood special special, what are you from me?
Speaker 5: Let me draw you raw?
Speaker 1: The Maw is definitely, at least for me, I thought was a really stand out. He's kind of like the only enemy in the.
Speaker 3: Game pretty much.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's something I liked about the game was that there is no It's not like a traditional like combat heavy game or even like Silent Hill, which I would say is is like the earlier Silent Hills. Combat is not really the point. There's still a lot of enemies in that game, and this is like, it's just the Maw really and well, I guess there's a couple extra little things in the the like flashback.
Speaker 3: But the is like the main bad Guy. Like every horror game has like that one enemy that kind of follows you around for a majority of the game, and the MA is the one for the medium.
Speaker 1: Philip, how did you feel about the game overall?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 6: I liked it as well. I'm a big fan of the old Silent Hill Resident Evil formula, you know, like that nineteen ninety eight tank controls third person view kind of horror game, and this really nails what I liked about those games when I was young. It's it's definitely like an homage to Old Silent Hill.
Speaker 2: I really loved the look in the field of the game.
Speaker 6: It's really cinematic the way that game it's all, you know, fixed camera. You don't have any control over it, like old Residable, Old Silent Hill. When they were doing that, when Resident Evil was doing it was because they didn't want to deal with rendering out three D environments.
Speaker 2: So Silent Hill did some really cool stuff.
Speaker 6: It was you know, altogether muddier, but that allowed them to move the camera and sort of really cool ways, really interesting stuff. For like the PlayStation one era that still holds up, still looks great. So it's definitely obvious that like Blueber Team was into that stuff, and they're doing a lot of those cool camera moves throughout.
Speaker 2: This game and that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: So I like it got to me in that sort of like, oh man, I remember loving this kind of way, you know, so I really enjoyed that about it, And yeah, I like it. It hits those elements really well, and it does the things that I like about what blueber Team does pretty well too, which is these like really story heavy one are around like uncover a mystery kind of things. I'm a big fan of Layers of Fear. I think that game does some really interesting things with like space and twisting perspective and that sort of things that only video games can do in a lot of ways, and they.
Speaker 2: Picked that up here too. I like it. The sort of like dual world idea kind of gets in that direction.
Speaker 6: Maybe not quite as much as I wish it did, but it's, you know, it's all kind of moving in those ways that I like about these games and.
Speaker 2: This sort of section of the genre in general.
Speaker 1: I really like what you mentioned about the fixed camera and how it's like evoking the spirit of resid evil but with modern tech so they can just I mean, the game looks beautiful, especially the background details. There's a couple shots in the later half of the game where you go to like a forest and just the sheer, like the density of the forest and the light coming through the trees like that is maybe some of the most like beautiful looking environments I've seen in a game, and they can get away with it because of that fixed camera, so they really just have to like make that specific angle look as good as possible, which maybe speaks to the fact that it is a really small team. Yeah, like despite being a Triple A. I would say this.
Speaker 3: I don't know the exact sides of the team.
Speaker 1: But they're they're Polish, They're very small, and I think that should be commended. How how amazing this game is just from like a production standpoint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is absolutely like the most budget they've ever had and and it works. They put it, They put it to work in some really cool ways, and I think that's like understanding what they're good at and and what their limitations are and then using everything they have specifically in that frame to do something really cool.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are moments where I don't know about how you guys felt about it, but I did think the the character animation was a little stiff at times. Maybe that's like the one part of the game where you look at it and you're like, oh, like the the facial animation how everybody runs is a little trot.
Speaker 3: It was pretty funny considering mary Anne's like one of the few, like there's not many characters this game, Like Marianne is pretty much the only person that you're looking at for the entirety of this game, and I just all the time whenever I would see like her running animation, I'm like, I feel I want just a little bit more here, Like She's the only one I'm looking at for hours on end, and I don't know anyone who runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should achieved them. They should have worn animation.
Speaker 1: That's very it's very dainty. There's something about it. It's just it makes me laugh and it does take me out of what should be a really spooky, spooky environment. So I guess let's talk about the story a little bit. What I really like about this game is how polish it is. The developers are Polish, and they they wanted to tell like a what feels like a very polish story by it actually taking place, and I think it's like nineteen ninety nine Poland. It feels like it's grabbing out a lot of Polish history, to the point where I would love to talk to somebody from Poland about it, because I feel like I'm not that I'm like not enjoying it, but like I would have more enjoyment if I had like a certain a cultural appreciation for the events and the history that they're talking about.
Speaker 3: Totally get that. The entire time I was playing, I'm like, man, this is awesome and fascinating, and I'm probably going to like read a whole bunch of Wikipedia articles when I'm done with this game. I would love if I had all of the cultural contexts for everything that's happening right now that I'm learning about while I'm actually playing this game.
Speaker 1: Jake Decker actually had a good idea because the one thing I didn't care for in the game, or one of the things I didn't care for, was you mentioned Marian's voice acting. The voice acting is great. The writing and some of her narration I found a little irritating where it.
Speaker 3: Like it was yep, yep.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think of how to describe it. It's like it's written like the way somebody would write a book, not in the way somebody actually thinks in their head. And it leads to this thing where it's a lot of like telling me things that you don't need to, where it's like you're showing me this already. I don't need to know that Marianne is terrified. I can see it in her facial expression and the voice acting. I don't need to then have a narration. It's like the Blade Runner, like original cut.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the game is a little bad about knowing what to deploy narration on, and like, yeah, that's definitely we don't need a run down of the scene we just watched facically.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I woke up with icy water in my veins. I wanted nothing but to get out of there, to just get up and run until my legs give out, until my lungs collapse.
Speaker 5: But I know I couldn't. It wouldn't have sold anything besides sadness needed my help.
Speaker 3: I would say a good point Tam, who like does this for pretty much every review I write, like he did point out like the one like true positive to the narration, because the narration was like the one big negative that I talked about in my review, but Tam pointed outs like you, in a way, her heavy narration allows someone who's playing the game, or who's sitting watching someone else play the game, who maybe can't pick up all the auditory and visual cues, they can actually understand what's happening because her narration is so heavy in detail. It's like, Wow, you're just repeating things that I definitely just witnessed or inferred from the tone of your voice. So it's cool in like an accessibility standpoint, But like to both of your points, I think it's just implemented in a very inelegant way. I think that if they wanted to go for something like that, I have no idea why the developers chose to add that narration, but if they were adding it for accessibility reasons, I think there could have been a more elegant way that they could have incorporated something like that.
Speaker 6: There are definitely times when I like being in mary Anne's head, or like knowing what she's feeling about a thing she just went through, or the greatest significance of that thing. Sometimes, like occasionally it widens out the story in you know, the kind of way you'd expect from a novel. But it also Yeah, sometimes it's just it feels repetitive and in a weird way, like it I don't know that she's narrating it for anybody's benefit. It's just like they had her in the room almost so.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny because like it technically ties into the story itself, because about ninety five percent of the game is her recounting all of these events to someone else. We don't find out until the very end of the game. But it's like this weird thing where it's like, oh, I can now understand why she's adding all of these details because she's explaining it to someone else. And I'm like, but we're experiencing this for the first time. We don't need these details. We're watching it happen.
Speaker 6: I like it when she's got extra context, like everything related to her family life and stuff.
Speaker 2: Some of the history things are useful. Yeah, it's just she just doesn't have to throw it in every single time. I don't know, it's hard to describe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I was gonna say originally was I was talking about that with like Jake Decker, video producer and host of the Normal after Dark podcast, and that you probably all I assume watch because it's on the same feed, but he was like, oh man, yeah, I kind of want to play the game in Polish. Maybe that would just like make the narration kind of work better, because I think there's something to be said about, Like, I think part of the reason people always like subs versus dubs with like anime is because it's like, I don't know when it's in another language, you don't notice like awkward voice acting or like weird written lines as much. So like maybe, and also because it is so heavily Polish, you could like actually like envelop yourself more, but unfortunately you can't actually do that in this game. If you said it to Polish, it switches everything to Polish. So oh no, I would love for them to add an option. Yeah, this is me telling asking like if you could add an update where I could listen to the game in Polish but still have everything in English, that would be really cool because I I'd maybe play it again.
Speaker 6: It does feel like maybe a little bit of this as localization and cultural I think you're probably right, so like, yeah, I would be interested in that as well.
Speaker 1: Well. I think the other big thing to talk about is the main gimmick of the game itself, which is the switching between the real world and the spirit world. That's the whole reason why this game is Like next Gen is like the developer said that, like they've had this idea in their head for years, but they couldn't capitalize on it until next gen hardware like made it a reality. It's a pretty cool trick. Like it's really neat, Like the game will periodically like switch between these We'll have these moments where the game like goes full split screen and you're controlling and seeing Mary Anne in both the regular world in the spirit world. I cannot remember the name. I know the spirit world is inspired by the like surrealist paintings of this famous Polish artist. I don't have the name offhand, and if I did, I probably wouldn't be able to pronounce it. But I love that stuff. That stuff looks fantastic, and I think they they do some really cool like not too complicated, like pretty basic, but like engaging puzzle work with that stuff that I liked.
Speaker 3: The fact that this game can render two separate experiences to the point that it can and then separate the experiences when you have an out of body experience and you're controlling only one half, and it's like, oh, I'm done doing the thing that I want to do on the Spirit World half. I want to put these experiences backside by side again. You just press a button and like it loads within a second a second and a half. I'm like, this is straight witchcraft what they've managed to pull off, And like, I can totally see why they were like, oh, yeah, we can't do this on the three sixty. We can't even do this on the Xbox One. It's only now with the Series X and Series S is there a console actually strong enough to pull off a trick like this. It's just so cool. I don't know how they do it. Like, I'm not a tech person, so I can't explain adequately what they're doing behind the scenes. But it's just one of those things that the first time I saw it playing and I'm like, this feels like a very new gen thing for Xbox, even though it's in a very small game. This I can see how they're using the hardware of the Series X to do something really cool with this game.
Speaker 1: And in that regards it, it feels like the first truly next gen game of this generation. Because it's like, well, you know, we have had a couple launch games. We had Spider Man, we had Demon Souls, and those look great. Demon Souls looks very good in fact, but I would say it like a lot of it is still very much like you could accomplish that on PlayStation. Maybe it wouldn't look as good, maybe the fidelity wouldn't be quite there, but most of the tricks you could still pull off, with the exception of maybe ratracing. This is like, oh, there's absolutely no way, Like this feels next gen in like that way that just like gets you excited about new constens where you're like, wow, like I love when developers really like use hardware to do creative things with it.
Speaker 6: Well, what's cool with it two is that it's not just a graphical gimmick. It's not just like better textures or better lighting. It doesn't just look better. It's actively running two versions of the game world at the same time. Like it feels like it's a gameplay mechanic that's only possible in the new hardware, which is really nice to have something like that. And it's actually, oh yeah, I bought this machine and it can do a different thing than my other machine could actually do. So I appreciate that quite a bit, that it's it's just not doesn't feel possible before I kind of I my whole I think my biggest drawback with this whole game is that I feel I wish it had.
Speaker 2: Gone a little further. And that's ultimately my.
Speaker 6: Big complaint with this idea too, is that it is a touch gimmicky, and it's just like, Okay, it's two versions of the same room, and and one you can pick up a thing, and then another you can pick up a different thing, and that's really kind of as far as it goes. But it is cool to navigate. It's fun to try to split your brain into these two different directions because sometimes one one version of the world has like a wall or a staircase that you can't climb and you have to like, oh shit, turn your head look at the other side of the screen, like you get lost in it a little bit, which is a cool feeling to try to navigate both those spaces at the same time, and it kind of puts you in the character in a different way. Because Marianne is like you get the impression that a lot of her life she lives in these two spaces at the same time, and that is weird, and she can do it better than you can, and so like you kind of have to adjust to what her experience is like in a different way.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think about, like how does that actually work for her? Where like how is she seeing it from a first person? Is it like one eyeball seeing the real world and one eyeball seeing the spirit world? Like I can't my brain can't even process like how you would navigate.
Speaker 3: That's so weird because like you see those cut scenes, like when she's talking with Sadness, and like Sadness runs up to her and she's hugging her, and like in one side of the screen, it's like she's kind of freaking out that spirit touching her. On the other side of the screen, she's freaking out, but there's nothing there, And I'm like, so what is she seeing right now? She only seeing the Sadness, She's like the spirit world, or is she's seeing half in half and in half? She's realizing if anyone saw me right now, they just see that I'm kind of freaking out over nothing.
Speaker 2: It's super weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, She's like leaning into a hug in the spirit world, and then her arms are, you know, doing that same motion in the real world, but there's nothing there, or she's stuck in a chair, or any any given number of things, because a lot of stuff happens in the spirit world that's like physical and interesting and weird, and then it's also running the regular world next to it, and it's like nothing's happening.
Speaker 2: It's fine, what are you being weird about?
Speaker 3: Which kind of gives like better context because when you're first starting out, you hear about how tough her childhood was, and she was like, I couldn't really belong, Like I can totally understand that. If everyone else is just seeing the real side you right now and they have like no context to what's going on, I'd be freaking out too if you were just like a young girl who is just like, I don't know, being restrained to a chair and it's like there's nothing there, and it's like, no, you don't understand.
Speaker 2: It's like she's playing pretend all the time. It's got to be rough.
Speaker 1: What you said feel about the game's potential and how it could like it could have gone farther. It's a very short game. I think I don't. I wish I had an hour count. I was trying to find it, but I guess Xbox doesn't have that information. But I think i'd beat in.
Speaker 3: Like nine eight hours something like that. That sounds about right. And the review guy they told us it was an eight to ten hour game, so yeah, nine hours.
Speaker 1: It wrapped up its story, like when it hit the end, it felt like everything had kind of like come together. But I do agree that like mechanically, I was like, ooh, like I would love to see more, like I want to see a medium two or or just like to take that concept and expand upon it even further, because it does feel like a first attempt, and a pretty good first attempt, but it's like, oh, there is so much more potential you could do with this, like split Red.
Speaker 3: That they know that there are people who liked it, they can do it again.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And they kind of left some uh seql bait sort of at the end.
Speaker 3: Not really yeah, I guess.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it definitely feels like there could be DLC.
Speaker 1: Which which is maybe our cue to go talk into the story and get into some spoilers.
Speaker 3: Can I just say for this story, like and maybe this is getting a bit to the spoilers. Go for it, get into it, sick, but like games that almost trust you to be like, look, we know that we're not super super interesting yet, but stick with us for a little bit and we'll take you for a ride. Like the first hour, maybe even two hours of The Medium, it was very almost ironically middling for me. I just didn't really I'm like, it's really cinematic. The whole split screen thing is cool, and I love this. I'm not quite sure what they're going for, and there's all these threads with like I think there's like a Soviet spy here. I have no idea who Thomas is, what should I be doing? Who is Sadness? And then like I have no idea when it happens, maybe like around hour three or four, you start finding like enough clues that you start noticing like, oh, a lot of these things are beginning to fit together very tangentially, and I can't quite put the picture together yet, but I think if I keep going a little bit more, I'll get there. And the fact that I think to the Medium's benefit that it's only eight hours nine hours long, so you don't have to go all that far to get that full picture works wonders. I love the fact that this game is willing to risk the fact and like, you know, there's probably going to be some players who pick up this game and after an hour they're like, I'm kind of bored with this and I don't want to keep going. But we're going to just set the scene as best we can and hope that the player arrives at the conclusion that they're like, Oh, I want to see what the end of this is. I want to see how all these pieces somehow, some way Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And it makes it kind of a tough game to recommend because it's like, oh, you got to play a couple hours before, you got to play a couple hours of this eight hour game, so you have to pay a third of a game that's arguably not as good to get to like the good stuff. But that's kind of where it being on game Pass is like huge in my opinion, Like it's it because it's such a polarizing game where it's like I don't know if you would like it, Like you might like it, you might hate it, But if you have game Pass, there's what's the harm in trying it? Right, or like you know it kind of oblig you feel not obligated, but like you that barrier's going on, and it's like, oh, I could I can give this a shot or you know, like and not feel bad if I if I didn't like it or whatever.
Speaker 3: But I just remember getting to the Neva resort and like picking up that payphone and you get one of the first echoes right there, and it's about the Henry I think his name is the spy who's there to find Thomas. And I just remember hearing that message and being like, well, that has nothing to do with why I am here any of this. But then you like keep going and going and it's like, oh, some of something happened here. Everyone's dead. Why is everyone dead? Oh there's this weird old dude who was fine one day and then he was like almost comatose in a vegetative state the very next day. And then the nurse who was taking care of him kind of like suddenly started being really psychotic and like messing with him and like cutting him. Like what is going on? And then when you finally see all of that coming together, and it's like, wow, this is so elaborate and cool. If they had told this story in like the actual order of the events occurring, it would not be nearly as interesting as it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally it because, yeah, I thought the same thing where I kind of was thinking it was going to be more like Bioshocky, where it's like you get a little cool story than yettes that fill out the world, but it's not necessarily like all related to the main plot. It's just like, oh, here's a cool little side story, but like, no, you're right, like it all ends up relating back to the main central plot and why you're there. Yeah, now I kind of want to go back and like check out that early stuff and like, yeah, find the little that were sewing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: This is what I like about Blueber's games, is it feels like they write a story, they have a plan for the game. The story is the centerpiece of that plan, and they are willing to trust you to to go along with them like that you care enough about it as well as much as they care about it to like really invest and to pay attention and to pick up all the stuff on the ground that gives you little tidbits of it and you know, and like, yeah, it's a little slow starting up, but those things are important to the long term nature of the story. And you know, it's like it's like a TV season, like, yeah, two episodes are going to be slow, but they're building the foundation for the next six.
Speaker 2: So like be cool. So yeah, I mean I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I feel like a lot of video game storytelling is a lot of it is rushed, a lot of it is kind of crammed in a lot of the time, and Blueberg goes, you know, out of their way to try to tell stories and they they work.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they don't work out. You know, it's not.
Speaker 6: Always successful necessarily, but I think that's a dedication that is important and that is useful in the medium especially is as like in the horror game section, right, Like having that dedication to the story makes this game work in a big way, and I really like it.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, where the game really picked up for me was that part way through. I guess it's about half right where where you find out what happened to sadness and like that whole storyline with Yeah, that that is where that's where the game gets interesting.
Speaker 3: In the darkest way possible, the darkest way possible.
Speaker 1: I don't know, if I love that they're like using rape as a plot device, it's a little like they do a good job of not like it's it's not horrific. They're not showing anything, thank god. And I do think it's like the best way you could have handled that kind of plot point. I think it's more like my issue is just with that as a general plot point in games period. But I will say it, it does do a really good job of like adding a weight to the plot that I don't think it quite had yet, where I was like, Okay, spooky massacre, but it's all like spooky nurse went crazy and you're like, oh, okay, nurse went crazy and killed everyone, and then it's like nah man, like serious child trauma and you're like, oh snap, okay, this is like we're getting heavy with it, and then it just I feel like it just keeps building after that where you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean I appreciate that it broaches that subject without sensationalizing it, which I think is what often games kind of stumble into, you know, yes, with the sort of thing like I think part of say, what people had trouble with tomb Raider, if you want to go back aways. When something similar came up in that game was that it felt like it was bombarding you with that trauma and like.
Speaker 2: Making you be in it.
Speaker 6: In a way that not everybody was comfortable with, and that was not necessarily like like you said, tasteful or I don't know, sensitive, respectful fully understanding what it was dealing with. And this feels more deliberate and more well thought out.
Speaker 2: I felt.
Speaker 3: I was really worried at first when that scene popped up, because, like with their whole duality thing, a lot of the medium is kind of exploring the Oh, some people present themselves this way, but there's always another side to the story, like another way to see them. And I was very, very worried when that scene popped up, and like, do not try to convince me Blueber Team to empathize with a child abuser. I won't buy it, and and I will decimate your game if you try to do so. And I think to their credit at the very least, even though mary Anne kind of leaves many of the people's fates like up into interpretation for you to decide for yourself for the child eater and then later for the hound, both of whom are like, oh, they were people who were victimized who went on to become victimizers themselves. Mary Anne's very much like, don't use your trauma as a shield, Like that's not okay, you're not a good person. I'm not going to forgive you for what you did after learning about you. I'm going to expel your spirit. But that's not in any way a form of forgiveness.
Speaker 1: One percent. Yeah, I would say that's maybe the game's biggest strength in the story is is it's it's a lot about trauma, and it's a lot about a lot about father figures. Is actually like a big theme in the game is like everyone you have like Maryanne's like foster father who dies at the beginning, and then you have her real father, and then you have you know, Thomas's, like I guess also like adopted father and then him you know, end up being a child the beezer to his daughter, and like it's this whole circle of fathers doing terrible things or just being absent. But like you said, I like that they explain why these people are the way they are. They don't try and say their monsters just because they're monsters. They're real people and they messed up or this is how this happened, and the way that, like real abuse works where it's like abusers are often the ones who abuses people. But like you said, the game I think does make a very clear stance that none of that justifies or should elicit sympathy for their actions. Like once once you cross that line, there's no you shouldn't know, there's no sympathy for someone.
Speaker 6: Like that, right, Yeah, it's adding nuance without making excuses, which is yeah, a good I think approach to that. I wonder what you guys feel about the maw and about sadness then, because I've read I I saw a few people making some comments on Twitter about the game suggesting that trauma leads to.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, like, yeah, the way the way the game presents being victimized and what that leads to, And I don't know. I'm interested in how you guys took what you guystick away.
Speaker 2: From that, especially in the end. Yeah, I know, it's rough, man.
Speaker 3: A tough question. It's it's hard because there's so much of the medium that like for storytelling. Wise, I am making assumptions because as we said, it's very it's not clear cut in the exact events that its story happened the way I understand it, and you both can tell me if I'm totally misconstruing this. But sadness and the ma are the two sides to Lillianna's spirit form that basically shattered after the sexual assault that occurred. So half of it is all of her childhood innocence and the other half is all the disgust and rage and trauma just given physical form. So it's essentially kind of a dissociative I guess.
Speaker 2: Right now. Yeah, yeah, that's how it took makes sense to.
Speaker 6: Some degree, Like it's not super clear, like you said, but yeah, that was what I got out of it.
Speaker 1: And heightened by the fact that she is also a medium as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, magic is involved.
Speaker 3: Right, It's all. It's one of those hard things. It's like, Oh, so Thomas is a medium whose spirit form is a completely separate person, his first daughter is a medium whose spirit is a separate person that was split into two separate persons, and his second daughter is a medium whose spirit form and physical form are one and the same. Okay, cool, I'll accept that if those are the.
Speaker 1: Nazi science experiments.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, like Mariam went through like the least amount of awful stuff and therefore she's like the most whole person.
Speaker 3: I guess, oh, yeah, yeah, I don't think so that makes Yeah, it's either that or it has something to do with the fact that, like when she was born, her mom died too. I wasn't sure if that was like relevant in some way, like it's the medium is one of those games I'm gonna have to play a second time totally.
Speaker 1: I think the thing with the with the mom was relevant to like that caused like a fracture with with Lily where she blamed Marianne for her mom's death and that like so the seeds for this like demon in her psyche that kind of kept growing and growing and growing, and then you know when the the abuse happened and then the fire happened, Like that's when it just like the blue eye of control essentially.
Speaker 3: So I guess to your earlier question, Phil, it's one of those weird things where I'm so conflicted about sadness and the mall. Like on one hand, I'm like, oh, yeah, when not always, but sometimes when you undergo a very severe trauma like sexual abuse, it causes a dissociation where there's a split in the personality where the brain tries to save itself, and in the medium's world, maybe the spirit form's brain can do the same thing as it were. On the other hand, it's like, this really weird than analogy where you're saying, like, oh, is then everything that the mos stands for and wants to do, is that a part of the leanne's subconscious because that seems really odd if that were the case. It seems seems like an almost completely different person in how viciously violent and aggressive it is. And I don't know. It's one of the few moments I think where I would have liked for Bluebird team to have provided a little bit more concrete details on what exactly they were trying to say about that entire situation, so I can make a much more informed opinion on whether or not I liked it, because part of me is like, oh, it kind of makes sense, and the other part of me is like, no, no, it doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah, see, I kind of agree with you on that, Like I felt like the symbolism there is a bit modeled, and that kind of frustrated me.
Speaker 2: In the end, because.
Speaker 6: I get that they're going for something here, but I also get that they're like, we need a monster. This is a video game about a monster, So like, you know, yeah, and I'm not sure it quite plays in the end the way they were maybe hoping.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it was a little the ending for me, it didn't come together quite the way I wanted it to, where where the whole time, I'm like, you're learning, you know, the mystery of what happened and mary Anne's family and and all that's coming together really nicely. But then and like I said, they do have strong themes of you know, fathers and sort of like abuse, spaghetting abuse, but also not justifying it. But then you get to the ending and it presents this situation where mary Anne's given the choice of how to deal with the Ma and Lily, and is she gonna kill Lily to basically kill the Ma, or is she gonna kill herself so that the Ma can't escape and Lily would live, Which I have some issues with because wouldn't okay, first off, wouldn't I wouldn't that not actually solve anything because then the mom would still exist with Lily there.
Speaker 3: I would just try to find a different host.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like then else basically she wouldn't be solving the problem because if Lily Marian had never gone there, it would just been the exact same. But also I'm just like, I'm not sure what you're trying to say about this, like like it thematically, I'm it didn't come together for me where I was like, what would by like what would her sacrifice mean? Like, I think there was something about like she wanted to she felt like she had been given a life and she wanted to give that back to Lily, But I don't know, it just none of the pieces came together in the way I wanted. And I think I would have wanted a more like concrete statement of like what they're trying to say. And part of that is by the fact that it intentionally doesn't tell you what happens, because you just hear a gunshot and you don't know what choice she made that could have worked. But I think because I didn't have a clear idea of like I just kind of sat there at the credits being like, I'm not sure what I was supposed to take away from all that at the end there.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's my big problem too, And like, I don't know how I feel about the idea that Lily is kind of just like choosing suicide. I don't know how I feel about the idea that she is basically irredeemable or unable to deal with her trauma or control it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the game somehow deposits that, like her trauma can't be absolved the same way that Marianne did with the Hounds and child Eaters.
Speaker 6: Right well, And I appreciate that the game is not at the same time, like we're going to redeem everybody and it's like just a simple as that you know, you said you're sorry, everything's fine, that's good.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that there's nuance there.
Speaker 6: I also just feel like it was almost two nuanced in that it doesn't conclude.
Speaker 1: Well, if there was a character that could have been redeemed it was Lily, where it's like they made this conspiration of like you know, the other characters, like they did horrendous things, where the game implies that, like the ma is sort of like gone beyond Lily's control and wasn't her directly inflicting actions upon people. So if there was a person that was like worthy of being saved it would have been her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you would think.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's tough to say because we're in the realm of like weird metaphysics, right, So like.
Speaker 2: What what symbolism are you trying to get across to me? Here is my big issue? Yeah, because yeah, like.
Speaker 6: This this thing is a literal demon that is literally taking people's minds over and literally turning them into murderers and massacring people. And like how much responsibility does Lily a child for that? I guess she was at an adult by that point. I don't know, it doesn't matter, you know, like we're in hard monster territory here, this is way off into supernatural?
Speaker 2: What are you trying to get across?
Speaker 6: And like, I feel like the themes of the game really play well with the other characters, with those other moments and you know, meeting their monsters and dealing with them, and this one is like almost too separated from Lily, And or maybe that we don't spend enough time with Lily as a character because sadness is not Lily necessarily, and even if she is, like we don't really know a ton about sadness except that she is a kid, you know, Like that's pretty much it, So, yeah, maybe it's a character development efficiency that I'm feeling, and I'm not really articulating well because like I feel like it doesn't, like you said, it doesn't really gel in that last moment, that big choice, because you know, what relationship does mary Anne have with Lily almost none? What responsibility does she bear to Billy almost none? Lily rather and then Lily's just like, yep, come on, let's go. I got a gun here, Let's do it. And we're like, well, can we like unpack any of this? This feels like it needed a little more, should have been another hour on there maybe some of.
Speaker 3: This stuff, which is a shame because that scene is one of the most like I wouldn't say beautiful, but like visually impressive shot scenes and a video I have ever seen where once Again splits and it keeps like shifting back and forth, sometimes showing Lilyan in her physical form, sometimes showing her in sadness, sometimes showing her and the Ma, sometimes showing mary Anne, and it just keeps going like back and forth and shifting through all these perspectives, and so you're like all of these things are intertwined and tangled up and like we're ratcheting up to something, and then you just have the gunshot and it goes to black and you're like, oh, did mary Anne shoot her sister? Did she shoot herself? Did real Thomas somehow escape? Because we learn that in the spirit world, time moves at a different pace, so technically his entire story could happen within the span of those thirty seconds, and he somehow appears, like in that moment he fires a gun in the air to make everyone stop and like, do something. You have no idea, You have no idea what's going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Thomas kind of got weirdly dropped. Where after you meet Thomas's spirit form, who turns out to be the one that Marianne's narrating the game too, and you're like, okay, he got separated after the altercation with Henry. But then you're like, where's Thomas and all this and they never really properly explain it.
Speaker 2: I mean, he made that phone call at the beginning of the game.
Speaker 1: Right right, and it's like, well, why did he do that?
Speaker 2: Well, that didn't come from the spirit.
Speaker 1: What was his intention behind that? Was he trying to save Lily? Was he like, what was his motivation behind that, and then yeah, you get that weird post credit scene where maybe that's Thomas there in the spirit world at the ends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I assume. So I figure that because at the end of him dealing with the hound, like his spirit form is like locked in the cage with the hound because he finds out that the hound's just a psychopath, and so he has no innocent soul to essentially burn away like a ghost writer, and so his spirit form is trapped. And I've figured based on the notes that what Thomas was trying to do was he was trying to find a way for he himself to enter the spirit world so that he could save his spirit half to defeat the maw right, And so he calls Mary Anne right before going to do that, and then we go through and then when we finally defeat the hound, it saves his spirit form, so a spirit form gets let out and we get to talk to him, but his physical form is now in the spirit realm finding a pocket watch on the ground at the end of the game. Right, there's a lot of moving parts of this game. There's like it's one of those games that if you do not stop to pick up every single little thing that you can interact with, you are not going to understand totally.
Speaker 1: And I feel like if I I would, maybe maybe some of the stuff Thomas would be a little more clear if I went back and replayed it, because I'm thinking now about like there is the altercation with him and his office, and yeah, there's like the phone call, Like maybe that stuff would make more sense and tie together, because because as you were saying it, I was like kind of like, oh, right, that happened, and I was starting to kind of piece it together a little bit more. Yeah, you're one hundred percent already. Like it demands you, you look at everything if you want to know what's really going on.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of glad that I had to play this game for review because it forced me to essentially play and beat it within two different sessions. I think if I'd played this like most normal video games, with like oh, I'll play an hour Monday, then I'll play another hour like on the Wednesday that follows, and then maybe a half hour on the next Thursday, I'd have no idea what was going on because I'd just be taking too much time in between play sessions, Like this is the game that demands you pay attention to it, and to Phil's point, I'm not entirely sure even with you paying attention to it, does it do enough to deliver completely on the setup it's trying to give you. At the very end of the game. It's still like a pretty cool ending to see and it's a horrifying one to witness. But at the same time, I'm like, I must have missed a collectible and I'm missing some crucial contexts or that context was just not there and it's being clarified in a DLC or SQL follow.
Speaker 6: Up, right, Yeah, I'm not sure if it was just rushed or I miss something, or if there's an interpretation that I'm missing.
Speaker 2: I almost I'm like, man, should we go do an ending explained article? Damn? I need to get on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so like, unfortunately, after everything, I felt like I was missing some crucial piece of the puzzle and I'm kind of bummed about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I liked it, and I liked them on.
Speaker 6: I liked running away from it and all that stuff and the other interactions with characters and the way that the game picks apart its story and scatters it around.
Speaker 2: I felt like worked largely totally with the other characters and stuff.
Speaker 1: And I would say, at least for me, even though the ending didn't really hit, I still think most of the game hit for me in a way that it didn't didn't sour the rest of the game. Like, I think still like the self, because it did wrap up, like the general mystery of what was happening, and the arcs of characters like you know, like the Hound and Thomas, like and Marianne's backstory, like all that stuff is resolved, and so it wasn't like you finished it and you're like, ah, man, like nothing, I don't know what happened at all, Right, I think a lot of it does conclude in a way that I still found very satisfying. It was just that the ending felt like it was trying to go for them, like this new thing that I just wasn't putting together with the rest of it. But I overall like, I still enjoyed my time with it, and despite the fact that the ending didn't didn't work for me, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like most of that game.
Speaker 6: I'm just like I said, I just feel like I was missing something right at the end that would have tied it all together A little bit better than it is. And I'm not sure if it's just intentionally trying to leave itself open to an interpretation and I'm lacking some aspect of that interpretation, or if it's or if it's the game's basically so maybe I need.
Speaker 2: To go back and do it again.
Speaker 6: But the rest of it was good, and I, like I said, it really scratched that itch for sort of a silent hill or silent hill too, really kind of experience where it's like, yeah, all these everybody in this game is terrible, and they're all terrible for different reasons, and they're all they're all justified and being terrible and not justified and being terrible.
Speaker 2: Well that's not, that's not. Don't quote me on that.
Speaker 6: Two or three people have some justifications for some of their actions occasionally, and then it goes off the reels and most people are really bad. And I like the game's commitment to, you know, flushing out characters in that direction that you're not going to like and being willing to make it harsh. I guess in some ways, I don't know. I like it, like I said, I like generally, I like that blueber team goes out and try stuff, and this game is all of them going out and trying stuff, and they're they're playing in their particular wheelhouse, which all their games are kind of like these pick up objects here story kind of games, but they are they're willing to like go for it and come up with some cool ideas and and put the kind of things you would see in a video game in some hard directions. And I like that this game exists, and I like that they're growing for those things, and I had a fun time playing it for the most part.
Speaker 1: Would you agree, Jordan, I mean, you give an out of tons, so I guess, so, yeah, I liked it.
Speaker 3: I liked it a lot. I would say, like two Phill's point, like the way that it just handles I guess it's not even really environmental storytelling, because it was environmental storytelling, you wouldn't even have to pick up anything. But the way that it just slowly pieces everything together. And I even almost in this weird way, appreciate the fact that even though it's a horror game, it's not altogether super scary. It's more like just dread inducing, like you just feel uncomfortable for long stretches of time. And I think a huge part of that comes down to the sound design and music, like both composers like the highest highest of props and the vocal tracks that you can find and get at the end, like Sublime Exquisite. I love all of them, but I like this game. I like it a lot. It's a good first console exclusive for Xbox to have for its new generation. I understand that, like sometimes things happen and you have to delay things, and maybe this game would not have done nearly as well had it actually come out the same day that Cyberpunk did because that was its original release. Oh god, but I want to say so delaying it is cool, I wish, but I still kind of wish that we could have gotten it like a little bit sooner to just showcase it's like, oh yeah, Xbox will have games this generation. Well, I guess I can't say that yet. It's one game, but I hope that this is the first time in a long list of games that reward me for still being an Xbox guy.
Speaker 1: I agree, and it's for sure. It's like I like Sony exclusives, but I think there is sort of a general like I don't know how to put it, like it's like Sony exclusives remind me like Marvel movies were, Like they're all different, but like they kind of have that like similar sheen about them. That's like that is a first party Sony title, and you can kind of you can kind of tell. And that's that's not me trying to like I love I love Sony games, but that's.
Speaker 2: A good that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: They're all kind of the mc U they have that they have that same kind of like look in that same Yeah.
Speaker 3: There's a level of prestige with most of PlayStation's first party titles.
Speaker 1: And I Xbox doesn't have that. But what I think this shows is like they have weird variety where it's like, you know, it's this weird game by this like small polish studio that wanted to make like a cool little horror game that's not gonna hit with everybody, but I think does do some really cool things and fills a niche that other studios aren't providing, and the people that want that are gonna have a really good time with it. And you know, like and and and it's all on game Pass again, like it's it's just available, like and and I'm excited because that gets more people who wouldn't normally pick this game up, you know, like a full priced or it might not be full priced. I think it's like not quite full priced, but really I could be wrong. I don't don't quote me on that, but I think this would be I think having a price tag kind of creates a bear to entry for a game that's as weird and different as this. That game pass just like opens up that door for for more people to try it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Totally agree to it, and I think it's a it's a honestly like more so than like a Halo. Like obviously Halo would have been great to have, but I do think this is like a great opener to like the potential future of what Xbox could bring this generation, which is just weird stuff.
Speaker 3: If Xbox can get two or three of these in between the releases of all their like big flagships like Halo and Gears, like excellent, it'll be excellent.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I mean I really appreciate it because this is niche as hell, Like this is extremely you know, old horror game from nineteen.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight Field you like that, and like, yes, thank you, that's me. Thanks.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that, so like, yeah, that's it is. This feels like a roll of the dice and in a cool way. And I appreciate you know, Blueberg going for it, and I appreciate Microsoft going for it absolutely.
Speaker 1: All Right, well, I think that's going to wrap up this spoiler chat in depth discussion. Thank you so much, Phil and Jordan for joining me on this.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of fun, it was. Thank enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so if you guys enjoyed it. Presumably if you're at the end of this, you played the medium. If you have your own thoughts or opinions on it as far as maybe what you think the ending was about, or anything else we didn't discuss that you wanted to talk about, you can go ahead and hit us up. If you're in the game Spot Discord, you can leave a question them there. If you're not in the Game Spot Discord, you can hit me up on Twitter at johns yp and I can get you in. We also have our email. I believe it's oh god, Jake always does it. It's a game Spot after Dark podcast, no after dark podcast, a GameSpot dot com. I think.
Speaker 3: Shaking his head right, now he can't hear this, but he's just shaking his head.
Speaker 1: A combination of those words will get you to us somehow. I'll put it in the description, so check that. But thank you very much for listening, And if you want us to do more of these spoiler casts, we love doing these. We like just it's it's a fun chance to do in depth discussion that we normally don't get to do for games. So maybe maybe let us know another game you'd like us to do one of these four? All right, thanks for watching, guys were listening this audio.
Speaker 3: Bye, Thanks see ya.
Speaker 4: By Caffy More.
Speaker 7: More ghost to half come before.
Speaker 2: I'm on this road back home
Speaker 7: Somewhere Cross