Speaker 1: SODO five fifty five kr CD talks station Happy Man Brian Thomas is this Morning with Peter Bronson in studio. I just just love this man to death. An unbelievable writer. And if you seriously, whether or not you're from the Queen City area, if you are looking for a wonderful Christmas gift, just got I'll say Amazon, and you can buy it locally. Got Joseph Beth right, Joseph Beth. Or go to Chili Dog Press. Yes, get it there because that's where Peter Brown's Peter Bronson's publishing company. So Chilidog Press dot com. Get a copy of any one of his books. They're great reads. They document Cincinnati's history and he just does such a phenomenal job telling a story and it's all, I mean real. The most recent Promised Land, How the West was one. You had The Man who Saved Cincinnati just prior to that, and that was a bit. They're all great reads. Forbidden Fruits since Cities Underworld. The supper Club Inferno maybe my favorite. I hate to say and prioritize that, but I know about the Beverly Hill supper Club and I remember it when it burned down. And the mob connection with that, which Peter does a wonderful job incorporating the reality of that into that book. Not in Our Town. Everybody remembers Larry Flint and Hustler of the Queen City versus The King of Smut, another great read. So it goes on and on and on. So Chili Dog Press for any one of these wonderful, very affordable Christmas gifts for your your literature loving friend. Peter Bronson, welcome back to the Morning Show, my dear friends. Always great seeing you.
Speaker 2: And thank you for that kind of introduction about my books. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, listen, if it wasn't true, I wouldn't have set it all right, kind of let it go. Thank My wife got at an acknowledgment she had had some wonderful bake goods and someone had said, you know, that was you know, really unusual or something like that, and I go, didn't they say it was really good at any point in that message? And just like no, I said, well, I guess that just wasn't their cup of teas anyhow. Yeah, it's like my friends when because we're all, shall we say, we give each other a hard time. Those busters the better the friend is, the harder time you give them. And I always joke around. I said, hey, listen, if I'm not giving you a hard time, that's when you know I'm mad at you. So yeah, if I didn't understand the books, you know that that would be a that will not be a good sign. So Chili Dog Press for those. Peter, how you been you all prepare for that?
Speaker 3: Very good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been real busy, but doing a lot of book signings and a lot of fun. In fact, I have one coming up on Saturday at the Barnes and Noble at Beaver Creek, Oh Good Saturday at two pm for especially for people living up around northern Cincinnati Greater Cincinnati area and also from Dayton. There's a lot about Dayton in that book, including the story of one of the most colorful characters in Ohio history, Clement Villandingham.
Speaker 1: Clement Vilandingham, Yes, clemt So you're talking about the Promised Land or Promise Land, right, yes, my latest book? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So he was a congressman from Dayton, and he was also probably the most notorious copperhead Southern sympathizer in the country, and he gave so much Heartburn to Abe Lincoln that Lincoln ordered uh uh, and General Ambrose Burnside to march up from Cincinnati and kick down his door at midnight and haul him into the street in his pajamas and throw him in a military prison.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Kind of like they treated Donald Trump pulling the documents out of the house.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was no habeas corpus nothing, And he was thrown in a military prison and left there to rot for months. Finally Lincoln said, Okay, I guess this is getting a little embarrassing, So if he wants to be part of the South, let's send him to the South. And they shipped him down under a flag of truce and turned him over to the Confederates. Oh that's a riot, isn't that crazy? Well, it's like returning Neil immigrants to their home country. We have a lot of parallels here. Yeah, we do, don't we. That's amazing stuff. And wait, there's more. So then the Lanningham goes to Montreal, where he runs for governor of Ohio in absentia, and there was a panic in the state of Ohio because the rumor circulated that he was going to import tens of thousands of voters from Tennessee and Kentucky to win the election.
Speaker 1: Well, he back was a lot easier to cheat.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we had election fraud.
Speaker 2: We had a conspiracy anti government insurrection going on, and he did not win. But he did come back eventually and practice law in Lebanon after the war. Always forgiven he's practicing law. He's representing a guy who was killed in a barroom brawl and as part of his defense, he's at the Golden Lamb in Lebanon and he's demonstrating to his friends how this guy could have shot himself. The victim they have shot himself by pulling a gun, a gun from his cumber bun. The gun goes off, clem up, the Landingham kills himself at the Golden Lamb.
Speaker 1: Instant karma.
Speaker 2: Yes, And there is a room on the second floor at Golden Lamb called the Clemate the Landingham Room. So this is one of the great congressmen from Dayton. Know how Dayton at the time was a hotbed of copperheads. In fact, they had riots, They had all kinds of crazy stuff going on there during the Civil War.
Speaker 3: It was amazing, you know.
Speaker 1: And when you mentioned a story like that and I quite often when people are talking about social unrest. Remember when Antifat took over the street, it's a Black Lives Matter protesters, all that air. Oh my god, the world's coming to an end. It's never been like this. This, this is so terrible. The country's never seen such social unrest or division. My mind goes back to say, two periods in history, modern history, the Simone Simin's sl Liberation movement. They actually blew up the Senate bathroom, you know, Okay, the January sixth writers stormed the Capitol and they mayhem and all of that. They didn't play at bombs and blow stuff up, right, I mean, And it wasn't the only bomb. They blew up the Haymarket statute in Chicago, our statue in Chicago. They had all kinds of bombings, killing a police officers, crazy you had it was it Bobby Seal and the Black Panthers, and just really a lot of violence. The killing of RFK, the killing of Martin Luther King, Malcolm X even, I mean, just the violence was so much more profound than thankfully it is now. And yes, we have our share of violence, and I'm not trying to downplay it, but if you don't reflect back, and that was I mean, that was almost within my lifetime being born in sixty five. Of course don't remember it. But then rewind to around the turn of the century with all the Kammis and socialists run around, also committing acts of violence and terrorism.
Speaker 2: And this edition arrests during World War One, y President Wilson, I mean what you're onto with the seventies though, I was a high school senior in those days, and it really shocked me when I went back to research how many bombings there were. For example, in Cleveland when the lic of Oli and the Jack White Mob went to war against each other, there were bombings almost every month for a long time. And meanwhile, all over the country, these weathermen bombings.
Speaker 1: Went owing you weather underground. It was like crazy stuff.
Speaker 2: At ROTC buildings, people were getting killed, Oh yeah, policemen were getting shot randomly. It was a nutty time. I had no idea that there were that many bombings going on. Of course, I was a high school kid. I wasn't paying attention to the news at the time, but what a nutty time.
Speaker 1: And then the Kent State shootings on top of it, so you know, I mean it's easy to push all those different things, crunch him down into a ten minute discussion like we're having right now. But really it was a rather very concentrated time of violence, it was, and violence like again, thankfully we don't see on that same level now. Yes, you have your occasional Sarnev brothers, you know, those guys obviously experiencing the realities of death or prison. But you know, it's we We all think that our individual lives, that everything happens within our individual lives, and that we exist in this moment in time when you know all this has hap Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. You know, we live basically a click second moment. Our entire life is just a moment in history. That's why I don't believe in, you know, in man made climate change where every storm is my fault. Are you out of your mind? Did you look at like the glacier that used to cover the stole state of Ohio ten thousand years ago or anyhow? But it's fascinating. Maybe you write a book about all that violence and protest in the sixties. That's my favorite historical period in our country between for I don't know why and I think we talked about this last time, between the Kerawhac Beatneck area all through the early seventies and the development and the wild societal changes that went on just during that decade.
Speaker 3: The counterculture, the Retalion, all of it.
Speaker 2: A lot of that is in my book Not in our Town when I talk about the mom in northern Ohio, and then I went into a whole chapter about all the bombings that were going on, crazy stuff. I mean, it's just to look back on it now. The seventies were such a dark period. It's very, very and all you have to do is watch a movie from the seventies and you just kind of go, they.
Speaker 3: Really made this stuff.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: It's really just dark and depressing and everything is corruption and evil and horrible.
Speaker 1: It's just, yeah, more they change, the more things stay the same. Peter Bronson will continue this conversation lots of talk about. First, though, want to mention QC kinetics, because twenty twenty five could be the year without pain. You got knee pain, joint pain, hit pain, can't sleep at night because of the pain. You get up in the morning and it's like, oh, and you don't like that happening. Of course, if you're struggling with that kind of pain, probably I think I feel safe in saying you've gotten steroid shots, You've probably had pain medication, and your doctor probably has had a conversation with you about surgery. Well, how about trying a different path q see kinetics. There were advanced protocols in regenerative medicine taking your body's natural healing powers, concentrating them and putting them right there in the area of that pain have helped tens of thousands of people with lasting relief. So maybe twenty twenty five is your year without pain, without those pain pills, avoiding the surgery knife and all the downtime that goes along with that. QC kinetics. Medical professions are waiting you with the treatments right in the office with no downtime. So take them up on the free consultation. If you're not qualified or you're a eight for whatever reason, this won't work for you. They'll tell you consultations free. You know you can use your SFFSA and HSA dollars to cover the costs of this. Give them a shout, just get up, schedule the free consultation at five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine, five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. QC Kinetics at five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station channel nine tells us today is going to be a sunny day for the most part, mild high fifty eight down to thirty six over nine. Clouds will show up around eight to ten pm, and then a rain along with that. It'll be a rainy start to tomorrow morning with partly cloudy day in the balance. Fifty one for the high, overnight low with twenty nine with clouds. Then Thursday a cloudy day with a higher forty thirty eight degrees. Right now, time for traffic.
Speaker 4: Chuck Ingram from the UCL Traffic Center for unmatched cancer care. Choose the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center, the only regional program offering proton therapy called five one three, five to eighty four. Being southbound seventy five, continues to get heaving her out of Lachland towards the lateral in the new contra fload lane northbound seventy five at an extra five.
Speaker 3: Between Buttermilk and downtown.
Speaker 4: You're on and off the breaks northbound four seventy one between Grand and the Barrels near Memorial, heaving your traffic across the bridge. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC Deep Talk Station.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRCD Talk Station. I am very happy Tuesday too. You're going to have the inside scoop of bright Bart News tech editor Colin Nadine on drones, we'll say the Daniel Davis deep dye retired within the Colonel Dania Davis on the West? Are they put in saying the West is pushing us to our red lines? And I guess kind of an analysis of the United States policy US is self defeating arrogance. That's what Daniel Davis means. Peter Bronson in the studio, and love talking with Peter because you quite literally can talk with him about anything. And after our last conversation, you maybe scratching your head, going, well, what's this all about in this hour? Well, it's about anything. And originally the talking we're going to talk kind of local politics was the general subject matter, and off the break I started talking about, well, I really don't know a whole lot about local politics because there's so very little reporting on it. And He's like oh my god. And see there's the tip of the iceberg of an next conversation. The world's a completely different place back when you were with the inquiry, you I mean, we knew in depth and in detail every council meeting, the subject matter with the committees, and.
Speaker 2: If there was a zoning Board of Appeals meeting that was controversial, we staffed it. Yeah, we had people all over City Hall and that's what kept the elected people and the bureaucrats looking over their shoulders because they knew if they did something stupid, they always had to stop and think how would this look in a headline. A lot of didn't, of course, you know, and it was obvious that made pretty good headlines. They made great headlines. But we had people on everything. And now there's nobody watching. And now you begin to see the corruption that we've had at City Hall, the just unilateral stupidity of decisions that are just covering things up, or decisions that just don't make sense. And it's because there's nobody watching, and elected officials who are not being watched are like kids with their hands in the candy jar.
Speaker 3: They just are not going to stop.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose this is a reflection is like, you know, video killed the radio, star of the internet killed local newspapers. Yeah, but that causes one, Okay, but yeah, well let's move over then to perhaps some potentially for other causes. Now if I want to consume that, and I presume because for years and years and years people did have an interest in what was happening locally in politics, did that interest disappear or is it just still out there being unfulfilled in terms of getting the information, because I figure, if there's a demand, then even if it's just online, you should be able to get that. But I'll give props to the local media that does have online content, but again it's not nearly nearly as in depth.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think there is a demand for the kind of in depth investigative reporting just which really should just be called solid reporting that tells people the context and gets into the details. What happened with the newspapers, and I know it specifically from my career in newspapers over thirty years, was that the newspapers began to grow more and more out of touch with their readers, and they began to ignore their readers. And there's a cost for that because the only thing you have to spend in media, your coin is credibility. And if you don't have credibility, if you keep telling them things that they know aren't true, if you keep getting stories wrong, if you keep coming to every story with an attitude which always came from the left. I mean, it got to the point where conservatives in the in the newsroom could be counted on one hand. And that's out of one hundred and fifty some people. So it's just not right that that happened.
Speaker 1: Well, it's reflective of a national phenomena, is what you're saying. Exactly what happened at the Inquirer or any of the other needies.
Speaker 2: In the macro sense now in all media, And it's part of the reason it resonates so great when Trump said yesterday we need a fair balanced media. We need a great media, but it needs to be fair. Come on, come back, do your job. Yeah, and how about without interjecting. And you know, I am a commentator. This is I mean stream of consciousness. I have a philosophy.
Speaker 1: I like to interject my philosophy in my analysis of matters that I'm speaking on. I'm happy to report these specific facts which provide the springboard for my commentary. But that's not what a reporter should do. They should stop with reporting the facts and then let me and you and the other folks draw their own conclusions from a political perspective, whether they think it's a right or not thing exactly.
Speaker 2: They should be the play by play guy at the football game, not the guy on the sidelines who jumps into the game and decides to tackle somebody running down the side.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Let's go back in time and never never forget that, man. That was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in football. Seven twenty five will continue with Peter Brunson. I am enjoying this and I hope the listening audiences as well. You know what, it's holidays. Let's just engage in this kind of light conversation, but the informative conversation. Let me steer you in the right direction. Zimmer, you know it's a heating season, and you know you have a problem with your your heating system. Get a carrier system, you get a warm We've turned a cool carrier comfort rebate over the summer into a warm carrier cash rebate twenty two one hundred dollars savings. That's a great deal on a carrier unit. They make wonderful HVAC units. And the folks at Zimmer are the ones to count on with that. They're the ones that are coming at you with this twenty two hundred dollars savings. And they have twenty four hour day, seven day week service. It's third generation, family owner operated folks, and they always take great care of you the customer, wonderful customer service, efficient license. They do it all and so you can even count on them when the system conks out at I don't know midnight on a Saturday, give Chris Simmer a call telling Brian Thomas said, how when you do please five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three. That's five one two, I'm sorry five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three. Forget about all that. Just go to go Zimmer dot com fifty five KRC, the president and CEO of it. Time of the nine first tenty wether forecast. Today, it's gonna be nice day, sunny sky is it'll be a mile fifty eight high overnight lowdown on a thirty six. Clouds show up around eight and then we get rain, rain, will continue into the morning tomorrow with a high on fifty one, although after the morning it'll just be partly cloudy. Cloudy overnight Wednesday with a low of twenty nine and the cloudy day Thursday high forty thirty eight. Right now, time for a traffic update. Chuck Ingram from.
Speaker 4: The UCL Traffic Center for Unkniched Cancer Care choose the University of Cintamami Cancer Center, the only regional program offering proton therapy called five one three five eighty four beam southbound seventy five continues to build through Lachland northbound seventy five and an extra ten minutes out of Erlinger into downtown. There's a wreck on Bypass four's ramped and westbound one twenty nine now northbound seventy five a wreck and the center lane and shepherd Chuck Ingram on fifty five care and see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty here fifty five kerr CEE talk station Brian Thomas with in cuity of Peter Bronson and again a strong recommendation for any reader or somebody who's interested in history, generally speaking local Greater Cincinnati, Kentucky, Ohio history. His books are fantastic. Ree Promised Land, how the Midwest was one preceded by the Man Who Saves Cincinnati, which is actually the sequel historically speaking, Promised Land, the prequel to The Man Who Saves Cincinnati. But in order in which they were written, I'm going backwards. Then you get to Forbidden Fruits in City Underworld, in the supper Club Inferna, that of course refer to the Beverly Hills supper Club and the mob connection with that burning down not in our town, the Queen City versus the King of Smut, and that one is about Larry Flint pornography generally speaking, but beyond that, and there's more there. Just go to find Peter Bronson online. Just go to Chilidog Press dot com. And I had a listener send me a book. He wrote himself. He heard me talking to you, he heard me mentioned Chili Dog Press, and he reached out to you, and he wrote me a letter. He sent me a copy of his book along with a very nice note talking about how awesome you are. You helped him out, you gave him some guidance, and in fact, I do believe you published his book so Fantastic as a neat story. So thank you for inspiring. Also, there's other local writers out there. And you know, when I was a lawyer, I used to write all the time, and to the extent not you know, putting pen to paper and thoughts and just it's been so long, I don't know, but I know a lot of people out there do it. So they draw a lot of inspiration from you. And with that small publishing company, I think you provide folks who otherwise wouldn't have an avenue.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: We do about twelve fifteen titles a year, all kinds of things, children's books, biographies, fiction, science fiction, mysteries, whatever people want to write. Now I can help them pretty much from start to finish, coaching, editing, helping them work through writer's block, all kinds of things that happen when you're writing a book and getting them over the finish line with a good printer, with great designers who do fantastic covers, and it all comes together. And it's nothing like giving somebody seeing them get that book from the time in their hands with their name on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to be exciting for the writer. It's like, oh my god, look what I created. Yeah, it's like very coast to make furniture, little small, minium mission style stuff, and even to this day when I look at it, I'm like, I can't believe I made that. I tried to sit on and do that. Now I wouldn't even know where to start, but at least I accomplish it at one period.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 1: It's just like, why not just stick for this topic just for a moment, because I do want to get back to the media bias thing. But sure, in terms of writing a book, is theres sort of a you have to have a whole start to finish general concept timeline, and then go in and fill in the details. Yes, you got to know where you're going from point A to Z.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I urge people to always sit down and make an outline first. Don't act like it's going to be rigid or that you're not going to depart from that, because naturally you will as your research progresses or as you're writing takes a different direction.
Speaker 3: But if you have that, it's it's like this safety net.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you get lost or you wonder why did I digress so far in this direction, you go back to your outline and say, this is where I'm going.
Speaker 3: To end up and this is how it all works.
Speaker 1: Like a movie storyboard kind of exactly. Okay, Yeah, it really does help.
Speaker 2: And I urge most people also to put together their whole manuscript before they come to me, because so many discover the hard way how difficult it can be to write a book. It takes a lot of dedication and discipline to finish from start to finish. And so sometimes they come and they just send a few chapters and I take care of that for them and coach them and get them in the right direction.
Speaker 3: But then they never come back.
Speaker 1: So okay, and I can see that life gets in the way. Life gets in the way. But I suppose it's almost impossible to step outside of yourself and be objective about whether what you're writing is appealing, whether it is interesting. You know, I always give props, say what you want about Bill O'Reilly his Killing series books, for example, either're just so easy to read. They're fascinating his writing style, and I know he has help, but it it just it's sort of compelling. You're like, you don't want to put it down. There's an art to There's got to be an art to saying I can't put this book down. One of my favorite authors, Dostoyevsky. You can put that down, you know. I mean, there's only so much Fyodor dost ask You can take it in an hour or so and then it's like, all right, I'm coming back to this later. Take a break, right, But you know, in terms of those maybe it's just the length of the book, and perhaps it's the subject matter, because of course Dusky's a lot heatier and more psychological and in depth. And you know, Bill O'Reilly's right.
Speaker 2: Vsky is the whiskey and the chaser is something by John grisham Er, you know, so you go, you know, so I do him as a little bit of bullfi. I read two books at the same time, maybe five books at the same time. But I can go back to Dostoevsky, but then I'll have to have a chaser of Stephen Hunter, Jonathan Gilstrapper, some of the thriller writers that I like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You got to lighten things up every once in a while. An we'll bring him back.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 1: I got further questions about this shift in media bias. We did talk about the enquire and I don't want to say it's demise, but it's rapid decline. And you had a couple of inside information baseball kind of comments on that, but the broader media reality, most notably as we have seen post Trump election and sort of their current reflection and whether you think that might bring about a renaissance in media. I'm really curious to pick your brand about that, Peter Bronson. It's seven thirty five right now. If you five KOs to Detox station and a strong, strong, strong, strong recommendation to call USA USA Insulation, you know, if you've never called them, and if you've got a brand new home, don't bother. I suppose, because they're supposed to insulate those things to the fullest extent possible. But older homes mid seventies and before you got nothing in the exterior walls and those late seventies eighties, and I don't know how far in, but that's why I say it's a free inspection. The folks at USA Insulation can determine how much insulation you have in your ex tier walls, and if it's insufficient, you can get the phone to go in with the old that kind of like provides a double layer. But if there's nothing in there, you're going to be just in all cases, truly amazed by the immediate improvement and comfort. And then there's that energy savings, which I always think is the most important thing. Comfort, of course is going to come along with a well insulated home, but the amount of money you can save every month probably maybe not, but yeah, in many cases it'll pay for itself because right now it's only ninety nine dollars a month interest free. You've seen your energy bill and you know that thing is never going down, So why not nip it there and start saving money each and every month on a product it literally pays for itself. I would imagine improves the value of your home. So that's why it was a housewarming gift from my wife and me to my daughter and Eric with their under insulated R twelve late seventies build home. It's fully insulated now and they're really enjoying the benefits of that. You can, too, call for the quote while it's still ninety nine dollars a month interest free, and while that energy tax credit is still available twelve hundred dollars when you're doing your taxes next year five one three three eight one three sixty two six three eight one foam online USA Installation dot net. This is fifty five KRC and iHeartRadio station TATA and I first morning weather forecast. We have a sunny day mile to the higher fifty eight that cloud's rolling in sometime after eight to night along with showered thirty six below to Morris Hit fifty one with rain in the morning and then cloudy sky's during the day to remain cloudy over nine corn down A twenty nine and a cloudy Thursday as well Higher forty thirty eight.
Speaker 4: Right now traffic kid from the UCUT tramphingk Center front Match Cancer Care. Choose the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center, the only regional program offering proton therapy called five one three, five eight fourteen southbound seventy five slows from Glendale Milford through the Lochland Split down to the lateral with an accident up at Shepherd Over on the left shoulder inbound seventy four now Breakwikes from Montana. There's a Retcon Blue Rock Bubble Blue Wakers and on five posts four at West one twenty nine chuck Ingramont fifty five KRC Deep Talk station.
Speaker 1: If you have ERCD talk station. I am enjoying the hell out of this conversation I'm having, both on and off air with Peter Bronson. You may remember from back in his Enquire days, and he was there for a long, long time. Of course, a wonderful, wonderful author. Chili Dog Press to find Peter's books as well as if you consider yourself a bit of a writer, he is a publisher. So you can work with Peter on that. But beyond that, Peter, going back to your Enquire days, and we all we already talked about the world a completely different place. At one point, you got straight reporting. You would interview the Dems and the Republicans, but you'd interview them, you'd put their comments in print, the factual information behind it, and then let their leaders draw the readers draw their own conclusions. Now bias started leaking into it. And I know about that because I've been around long enough to remember when a lot of people in my youth, even I mean going back to like even I suppose my college years, you know, eighty three to eighty all the way through law school is ninety. But you hear people all the time, oh screw the Enquire. They just become this left wing rag. And it did start moving further and further left readership, I'll obviously declined. And now we're at a time where we have internet and I know, the paper itself now is a lot of repetition from USA today. I have Sharon Coolidge on the program, and you know, whatever her political biases are, I actually kind of feel sorry for her because she is trying to accomplish by doing, you know, going to city hall, she went to the damn train sale meetings. Since she's trying to accomplish as one single human being, what a whole team of people used to go out there and do so. Sharon, if you're out there, God bless you. But beyond that, this bias crept into it. But it's not. The InCAR is an illustration of that all across this great land. We call it the you know, the the mainstream media, which everybody knows is shorthand for this interjection of commentary and political bias into normal news reporting. All right, moment of reflection seems to be happening right now. Look what happened to the ratings at MSNBC after Trump got reelected. People even said, you know, we felt like we've been lied to. They were perpetuating this myth that Biden was razor sharp and lo and behold, everybody's being lied to. They lied over and over again by repeating the Russia, Russia, Russia. You know, there's nothing here to see on Hillary Clinton server and the hunter Biden laptop is a myth. All these lies. Yes, but they got in trouble because they kept repeating them or not reporting on them at all. And they're feeling, obviously if you just look at ratings as the barometer, they're feeling the aftermath of that pressure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Now with all that, what do you think is going to happen? Will they change their tune? Will they try to go back to those days of honest reporting and fair and unby balance or balance rather, or do you just see this as a continued downward spile.
Speaker 3: So I would believe.
Speaker 2: I believe that there are two ways this can happen, and one is the Really it's about the same way that the bias was installed to begin with. So in my book Not in Our Town, I tell a story within the story of the Inquirer newsroom with composite people as characters to show how the newsrooms became increasingly political and increasingly driven by agendas, and increasingly the editors didn't have the backbone to stand up against this and say stick to the news, because they would get replaced, as happens in newsrooms by people coming up out of college in the seventies from the Love generation who wanted to change the world by corrupting the institutions to fit their worldview.
Speaker 1: Good point.
Speaker 2: So that's how these institutions were changed from within. Now today they can be changed back from within by people Jeff Bezos, who's saying, Washington Post, you guys are completely off track. You've tilted so far to the left. People aren't reading our paper. I own it, and I'm a publisher, and I want this to be a better product. So he is forcing from top down from within as publishers used to, and we're seeing that also with the La Times, where they're throwing a fit because their publisher is also doing the same thing. Now it also can be changed from without, and the way that's happening, which is very encouraging, I think, is what happened to George Stephanopolos. It's what happened to all these media companies who slandered Nicholas Sandman in that famous case at the Capitol. So terrible, right, it was just horrible. Well, these settlements, they're huge, and that does get the publishers and the media's attention to say.
Speaker 1: That's a great point.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, So finally, in.
Speaker 1: Other words, they can be held accountable exactly.
Speaker 2: And you're seeing people like Clarence Thomas and Alitos saying this libel laws have gone way too far to protect media and it's all done. All these precedents were set back in the days and we didn't even have online media and all these competitive platforms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, New York Time standard with the bias.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the absolute malise standard is just ridiculous. And public figures being subject to this. So when Trump settled and what I read George Stephanoppolis had to pay a million out of his own pocket. So that's the kind of thing that does get the attention of the media.
Speaker 3: I hope.
Speaker 1: I hope so too. At one follow we get back on that. What is a journalist these days? Which is right, journalist? We're going to talk about that. We get back as you will throw the word degree around and I'm sorry, I don't buy into that affordable imaging. I do buy into the concept of affordable imaging, because imaging at a hospital imaging department isn't unless you think paying the eight you know, three grand out of her own pockets affordability after a five thousand dollars bills. Jeff knows all about that. He called ahead of time, my friend, Jeffret, my greatest litlse. He's gonna send me an email here any second out the big smiley face on it, because he still is happy about the fact that he saved thirty one hundred dollars when he got a CT scan because he took my advice and went to the place with really low overhead but nothing else different than the hospital imaging department, and that's affordable imaging services. Or that CT scan cost him six hundred dollars if he got the contrast anyway, if he got one without the contrast, it was four hundred and fifty bucks. And yes, that price includes the Board Certified Radiologists report. But he called ahead of the time. The hospital told him his out of pocket was going to be thirty one hundred dollars. That's right after medical insurance. You see, it doesn't have to be that way. Go ahead, you call your hospital imaging department when your doctor orders the MRI, the CT scan, the echo cardiogram, ultrasound, or lung screening or cardiac scoring, and they got to, let you know, make sure you get all the bills too, because they may not if you separately tell you that the Board certified radiologists report. Oh, by the way, that's going to say back an extra five hundred or whatever toortable imaging services. Each of the scans comes with the radiolitis report. You and your doc will both get that within forty eight hours. I've been there, I got to see d scan there. I saved money myself, so I put my money where my mouth is and you can too. But you get to keep most of it because you went to affordable imaging services. You have a choice when it comes to your medical care. Five one three seven, five three eight thousand five one three seven, five three eight thousand online. Learn more at Affordable Medimaging dot com. Fifty five KRC cause you're nine. First morning weather forecast a sunny day to day high fifty eight Overnight. The clouds roll in sometime after eight, bringing with them some rain thirty six for the low tomors, high fifty one with clouds, cloudy, every night down to twenty nine and a cloudy Thursday with a higher forty. It's thirty eight and time for traffic.
Speaker 4: From the UCL Trainphint Center for run Matt Cancer Care to use the University of Saint Sinami Cancer Center the only regional program offering proton therapy called five one, three, five eight four beam stop found seventy five. Continue slow out of Evendale through Lockland down to the lateral. There's an accident at Shepherd that's over on Beloft shoulder stop found seventy one. Now break whites Field, Gerble towards fight for there's a wreck on Blue Rock just below Blue Acres, chod King, Vermont fifty five KR.
Speaker 1: See the talk station seven fifty if you have KCD talk station by the time, it's with Peter Bronson quote over a variety of subjects this morning. But since we got into the concept of media bias, and Peter goes back far enough in the days of like, for example, the Inquirer, where he spent a lot of years, it was much more factual reporting. And I had to ask the question because again the topic of the internet's popped up number of times this morning. I can sit down, I can literally write anything I want. I could go to a Sincant council meeting, I could listen, I could observe, I could write down the facts, I could write down quotes. I could come and put it on any literally any site I want, which is fulfilling the responsibility of or the job title of a journalist. And what bothers me in you mentioned it before it started in the early seventies when the old schools started getting replaced by the new people, the free speech movement people, the students for Democratic Society people, the ones who got a liberal, left wing biased journalism degree and took that out into the world and then started interjecting their own political philosophy into it, which rubbed a lot of us the wrong way anyway. But that was the product of having gone through journalism school.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Now, what possible benefit or what point is there to journalism school? If I can do everything a journalist, what does that journalism degree give me? If I said I want to be a reporter, Now, aren't I a reporter simply by doing and fulfilling the role that I just mentioned? Or do I lack some sort of credential or credibility or something like a pass that I need to get in any get in space. What's the story on this?
Speaker 3: Well, A lot of.
Speaker 2: People in the newsroom when I was starting out used to have the view that journalism really went off the track when it became known as journalism. In other words, it was all part of credentialism. So once upon a time, being a reporter was a trade, and you just needed to have a high school good high school education in English, be able to write on deadline and put together a sentence, and adhere to the professional standards, which were fairness, honesty, tell both sides, be thorough, all of those things that we don't see anymore.
Speaker 1: Which would have been the job of an editor to keep you in line, right exactly. So, yeah, editor reporter that you see in the nineteen thirties movies.
Speaker 3: Ah yeah, I gotta get out of that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go say, yeah, I saw the fight today and you know, kid Muggsy knocked out someone. So so they put the article together, the editor would look at it and say, come on, what is this arc or great job actual reporting or that would be the control mechanism.
Speaker 2: Exactly, big fat red g Reese pencil and it just goes right through your copy.
Speaker 1: I work for guys like that.
Speaker 2: They would slice you to ribbons and sometimes they would accompany that with a side of abuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you go back and write it again. But that was that was not really considerate. I'm serious. I'm having Vietnam like flashbacks now, Peter.
Speaker 3: It would be more like a trade like mechanics and plumbers and people. We had a job to do.
Speaker 2: But then the colleges decided they could create this whole program and credential it and call it journalism, which is a pretentious French word for reporter. That's all it is, and journalists. Now people have this total confusion about what is a journalist. They think people on cable news are journalists.
Speaker 3: They're not.
Speaker 2: They're commentators, they're they're pundits, they're opinion people. People like Stephanopolos. He's a political operative. He worked in the Clinton administration. He was one of the guys who covered up for slick Willie.
Speaker 1: Well, he's also not writing what he's reading. That's why they call him talking heads exactly.
Speaker 3: They don't write anything. They read a teleprompter.
Speaker 2: Now, I know a lot of TV people, especially on the local level, are doing a heck of a job reporting the news and gathering news and writing news.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: But when you get up to a certain level like on Fox or CNN or MSNBC, people like Rachel Mattos is not a journalist. None of those people on MSNBC are journalists. None of them have a journalist and background that I know of. There are very few that actually worked in the trade like newspapers or coming up through the ranks.
Speaker 1: They were never apprentice, exactly a journeyman.
Speaker 2: They basically most of them moved out of politics sideways, and that's where they scored the big money. Like Stephanopolos paid three million a year to do what to interview people? He's really basically I think he's a functionary of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean to the extent they allow so much of his political bias to creep into whatever he's reading off of the teleprompter. That's exactly what he is. Whether he's officially a member of any given you know, political action committee or party affiliated guy has a role in some capacity. Outside of his role, he is filling that function by just simply parroting their political message exactly.
Speaker 3: So here's another analogy. So when I worked as editor or the editorial page.
Speaker 2: We had what we called a wall between church and state, which was the editorial page was the publisher's page, and that's where all the opinions were.
Speaker 3: Right over here is the newsroom.
Speaker 2: We don't commingle, We don't we don't have opinions in the news, and we don't have that much news in the opinions we comment. So that gradually became so blurred because the reporters were not content to have opinions on the editorial page that they couldn't Rebut so if you had a conservative editorial page, you had reporters out there working to undermine and answer that like a letter to the editor in their columns and their and their stories. And now we don't even have editorial pages because really the news side took over the function.
Speaker 1: Peter Brunson, this has been a real treat. What a wonderful I'll even call it Christmas present for me to be able to talk with you for another hour. And now I find out that we both belong to the same gun range. So we're going to go out shooting some time together. I look forward to to that'd be great. Hell yeah, and lunch sometime where we can talk books, again. Yeah, Peter, You're always welcome on the program. I look, maybe something we can just sort of conceptually contemplate the idea of you coming in maybe you know, a few times next year, a little bit more often, and do exactly this, because I think it's a wonderful exercise to talk and reflect on these matters, historic and otherwise. And again chilidogpress dot com find Peter's books and other books. And if you're interested in becoming a book are having your book published, you need to talk to Peter about that. Seven fifty seven Happy Holidays to my brother. Merry Christmas. Stick around, folks. It is time for the inside scoop with bright Bart News. Today we'll talk drones with tech editor Colin maynine, followed by the Daniel Davis Deep dive, including topics US self defeating arrogance. I'll right back here we go again, another news updates. We're going to get all the facts, an ear full of information.
Speaker 2: At the top of the hour and they'll break it down fast fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: This report is