Speaker 1: It's nice Eyes with Danny undoing you Crazy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's some interesting statistics on tariffs. Total revenue from tariffs, if you go back to nineteen sixty two, they were relatively insignificant ten billion dollars, and they stayed well within the realm of inflation until Donald Trump became president in twenty seventeen, and tariffs did spike up during Trump's presidency, and then they dropped down when Joe Biden came into office in twenty twenty four. Seventy seven billion dollars in traffic in tariffs was raised this but at this point in twenty in twenty twenty four, tariffs or custom duties which is a synonym for tariffs, make up only about one point five percent of federal revenue. So income taxes about two point four trillion, payroll taxes about one point seven trillion, corporate income taxes about five hundred a billion or a half a trillion, excise taxes one hundred billion, a tenth of a trillion, and then again if you add in customs, but one point five percent of federal revenue. Okay, but it will have an impact on things we buy because when those strawberries are brought across the border, there will be a tariff that the importers will have to pay, and they're going to pass that on to people like you and me, and it's going to have an impact on us. And I think that those of us should be smart and if if there's a product that you cannot that goes up dramatically, I mean, you know, we got to be smart as a country as well. Meaning if all of a sudden, strawberries jump from five or six dollars a pint to ten dollars a pint, I'm not Brian strawberries. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'll double down on bananas, uh Or I'll find some other fruit that I'll put on my awake in one Indy every morning. Right now, it's strawberries, blueberries, and bananas. But if strawberries are out, I'll buy some frozen strawberries or something. I watch my money at the grocery store, and I think all of us have to watch around money now. I got one line at six one, seven, two, five, four to ten thirty. I got two lines at six one, seven, nine, three one ten thirty. We're trying to get jury action to what the President had to say today, and let's go to cut seventeen. Here rob one more SoundBite from the president that Maria was kind enough to This is a little history from the president. So let's take this one of the greatest salt Cut seventeen Rob.
Speaker 3: Seventeen eighty nine to nineteen thirteen, we were a tariff backed nation in the States, was proportionately the wealthiest it has ever been. So wealthy, in fact, that in the eighteen eighties they established a commission to decide what they were going to do with the vast sums of money they were collecting. We were collecting so much money so fast, we didn't know what to do with it.
Speaker 4: Isn't that a.
Speaker 3: Nice problem to have? What do you think, Marco? Good problem? Marco would love that problem. But we don't have that problem anymore. But we're not going to have it very much longer, I will tell you. But they collected so much money they actually formed a commission to determine.
Speaker 2: What they were going to do with the money, who they were going.
Speaker 3: To give it to, and how much. Then in nineteen thirteen, for reasons unknown to mankind, they established the income tax so that citizens, rather than foreign countries would start paying the money necessary to run our government. Then in nineteen twenty nine, it all came to a very abrupt end with a great depression, and it would have never happened if they had stayed with the tariff policy, it would have been a much different story. They tried to bring back tariffs to save our country, but it was gone. It was gone.
Speaker 2: It was too late. Nothing could have been done. Yeah, the Teriff Act of nineteen thirty, the Smooth Holly Tariff Act or the Holly Smooth Tariff Act, whichever you prefer, was implemented in protectionist trade policy, and it didn't quite work out that Well, let's put it like that. Let's get back to the call. It's going to go to Tina in soccer worod Island, Tina your next night.
Speaker 5: I go ahead, yes, Hi Dan. I don't like it. I don't like it at all. This policy of his putting America first. If he thinks that we're going to get manufacturing and jobs back right away, well he's got another thing coming. And it's what he's doing right now is causing so much chaos instability, and that shows up in the market. I mean, when you just I don't understand tariff I know they're complex, I know that, but I still think that this America first to put us back number one. Oh, my hot bleeds for him, my hot bleeds for this country. I mean, there are so many other nations that are doing us wrong. I mean, I just don't buy it. If you want to do things, you have to do it the right way. He's doing things too fast, and it's not going to happen been fast. Somebody needs to take to talk to him and sit him down and shake him up.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me ask you this, Tina, what do you say to the auto workers in Michigan, and there were a lot of them sitting in the audience today, listening and cheering the president. What do you say to the auto workers who have seen their industry really hot, by really hurt by cheap overseas competition automobiles coming into the country. What do you say to those those employees and those families.
Speaker 5: Well, what I say is that Americans or anybody else, if they feel that they want to buy a car that's better than an American made car, then they have that right to do that. And that's not the only factor why those auto workers.
Speaker 2: Well, the problem, Yeah, the problem is that the foreign cars are not necessarily that's sort of a jactive judgment. What happens is they can manufacture cars in Mexico cheaper than they can manufacture cars in America, and in large part because they paid workers less in Mexico than they do union workers in America. That's that's a problem because it when you have high unemployment in the state like Michigan because car carb manufacturing jobs have gone away. I think that's that's what he's concerned is right now. And I don't think that's.
Speaker 5: It's not going to happen right away. This is going to take years, years to do, and you can ruin the country by what he's doing.
Speaker 6: I hope it works out too.
Speaker 5: There's just too much against it. It's happening too fast. That's how I see it.
Speaker 2: Well way. Someone once said, and I'll ask you this question, when is the best time to plant a tree?
Speaker 5: The best time to plant a tree, when you have the soil, when you have the seed, when you have the right temperature, the right time.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what the real answer is. Yesterday. Maybe you want to at some time some day you have to start off. And if you're going to try to rebuild American you know, automobile manufacturing, at some point you get to start. And he's whether you know it's going to take too long as you suggest. We'll have to see. I hope he succeeds. I'm as skeptical as you are, but I hope he succeeds. Why wouldn't I hope he succeeds. All Right, thanks Dina.
Speaker 5: Talk, You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Have a great night. All right, one line six, one seven, two, five, four, ten thirty back you know, talking about Michigan. Let's go to Michigan right now. Jerry's in Michigan. Hey, Jerry, you got a Michigan perspective here. How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm doing good, Dan say, I'm I'm from the southeast portion of Michigan, although that's where I was. I'm retired up in northern Michigan now. But the fellah the previous hour he was talking about his his Fords being built in flat rock and all that. Well, his Ford engines are more likely building in Windsor, and uh Ford's been building them over there for years as long as I can remember. I'm I'm over seventy years old. When I was when I was a teenager, that was there were two engines I believe that were made over in Canada, that Ford Ford US. So I'm sure those are going to get tariff and and put in. And my my engine today that I have is made in Germany. My my engine and transmission is in Germany. My car is built in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. So uh, that's the that's the MB.
Speaker 2: So my question, I'm more interested as opposed to where your car is from. As a guy from Michigan, what do you think about what the President had to say today. I'm assuming that a lot of people in Michigan would be cheering him.
Speaker 7: Well, they're they're going to for a while until they go down to the dealership and they find out that their car is another twenty or thirty percent more than it was, and then they're going to turn around and take their old car back home, even though the price of that that used car is going to it's going to spike up as well. But there I think you know as well as I do that loans on new cars have gone out to what eight and ten years? I pay cash for all mine. I've never bought a car on time for as long as I can remember. But folks today they can their loan on their cars almost like their loan on their home.
Speaker 2: Yep, I understand that. I do understand that. So so you then think he made a mistake today, I assume.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: Why do you think? Okay, so, so, why do you think he's doing this?
Speaker 7: Well, he's doing it for what we were talking about last night. Okay, I didn't I didn't talk to you last night. But last night he was trying to figure out how he was going to get his third term. And I think that that argument is pretty much subtled today. If you really want my honest.
Speaker 2: Opinion, well, my honest opinion is that is that when he talks about a third term, he's trolling the Democrats. I mean, he really knows he's he's living rent free, and a lot of the Democrats head with stuff like that. I mean, he reads the Constitution as well as anybody. I think it might have been House Speaker Mike Johnson was asked about that today and he had a fairly cryptic, cryptic response. Let me see if I can find what Johnson said, which I thought was pretty good. Ale Yeah, here we go. Rob. This is cut number two. Play this one for my friend Jerry and Michigan. Cut number two. This is Mike Johnson being asked about a legal path for President Trump to run for a third term. Cut two.
Speaker 8: President Trump this week, in an interview with my colleague Christen Walker, said that when he repeatedly brings up the idea of running for a third term, that he is not joking. You are a constitutional law expert. Is there a legal constitutional path for him to seek a third term and would you support him if he went down that road?
Speaker 9: Well, I just told everybody to read the Constitution. There's the constitutional paths that you have to amend the Constitution to do it, and that's a high bar.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 9: The President and I have talked about this, joked about it. He's joked about it with me on stage before, you know, we take him at his word. I understand why so many Americans do wish that he could run for a third term, because he's accomplishing so much in this first one hundred days that they wish it could go on for a much longer. But I think he recognizes the constitutional limitations, and I'm not sure that there's a move about to him in the costume.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the speaker of the house. He's basically saying chances of slim and none, and slim just left down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well that's what I'm saying. It's pretty much pretty much put to bed today. And as far as the stock market goes, I'm heavy in the stock market, although at my age I shouldn't be, but but I am. And the stocks are traded twenty four to seven somewhere in the world.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah. The NK is having a tough It's kind of like one of those waves at the ballpark. You know, there are people in the by the third bay side of the bleacher started and it goes round and round and round until it finally Peter's out. So I think that the market, the n K over Japan is having a tough day. And I said, I think we'll have a tough day in the market tomorrow as well. Jerry is always will kill you voice.
Speaker 7: I'll hit England, Ill hit England in the morning as well. Like I say, it just ripples right right around, just like a wave out in the ocean. And the other thing is is you and you and I are different. By by a day. As far as the tree goes, the right time to planet a tree is today. We just lost a whole bunch of them up here. We had between a half and three inches of ice storms. We've got one town up here that's eighty five percent shut down by the ice storms that we had up here in northern Michigan. It's just it's been I was without power here for the last four days and it's so nice to have it back. So I know I'm off track, So thanks Dan for that.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks Jerry, talk soon, have a great night night.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: Six we got two lines there, that's what's the only lines that are opened, six one, seven thirty. Fill them up back right after this, I got Matt and Florida, Brian and East Boston and Steve and Mary McK new Hampshire, and we got some room for you coming back on night Shide.
Speaker 1: With Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're going right back to the phones, and I'm going to go to Matt and Florida. Matt, you were next one night Side.
Speaker 11: Welcome, Hi Dan, thanks for taking the call, said.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome that I appreciate your call. I mean, what's your take on what happened today.
Speaker 10: I just I'm not trying to get rude or like a tough guy phone call, but you know, these people calling off freaking out about the stock market. If you can't take a twenty percent swinging in the stock market, you shouldn't be in stocks. You shouldn't be in anything other than putting.
Speaker 11: Money under your mattress.
Speaker 10: So, I mean, this happens with every president. It just makes me want to puke, and it just shows how stupid Americans are that, you know, for four years you have this idiot in the White House who's like a corpse, and everyone can't wait to get rid of him. And then you get Trump and everyone's like, oh, this is the revolution and this is great. And then yeah, I know two months later, Oh he doesn't know what he's doing. It's just we need to stick together. Trust the guy who's got to and you know, this is what he's been wanting to do. This is his long held belief. He thinks Taris is gonna fix it. Then let's uh, you're gonna wait and you know, uh, see what happened. Everyone just oh, stop, pocket's going down. So we got to get rid of them. It's like it's asinine.
Speaker 2: It's there's nobody that I've heard tonight.
Speaker 10: Everybody tonight has been called that one lady, she's gonna have a stroke about all the markets are down?
Speaker 6: Are the markets that go.
Speaker 10: Up and down every day? It doesn't make a difference. You know, take a wide shot of the stock Market's where's it go It goes up. Stock market's gonna be fine. So everyone needs to just chill out. And everything that Trump has done, everyone said, is going to fail miserably, and it does the compute opposite. So you know, let's give us about four to six months and then see where we are. But I know you've got a talk show to do tonight, and I know every day is a different show and every day is a new day. But can can we relax please? Uh? Just generally speaking, because people are insane. It's just the stock market thing Dan drives me in Spain.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that, whether you like it or not, that's an element that does upset, uh, some people. The market's going to take a big hit tomorrow. Okay, It's as simple as that.
Speaker 10: And you know if you in six months and yeah.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it goes down, it takes more than six months to come back. But look, everybody has a different point of view here, man, and that's what what they talk about, you know, and and you get right, you can know what I'm saying.
Speaker 12: You.
Speaker 2: I always appreciate your comments, and I think it was interesting tonight. We've had some Trump supporters who said, I'm a little getting a little concerned about this. You're not, You're you're you're with them, And so I think let's see, as you just said, let's see where it is six months or no. I will tell you this, he's got a runway of about a year here. Uh. If this no about it, If if this turns out well for him, he will become literally, uh, one of those presidents who will be considered transformative. I said earlier. He'll be like Reagan, uh and how he basically outspent the Soviet Union. He'll be like Roosevelt in the New Deal. He'll he'll be like Obama and his signature, you know, Obamacare of American Care, right, and this will be his signature. There's a lot of presidents out there. Tell me something that Millard Fillmore did that was significant. I mean, so I just think that that he's he's basically saying I'm all in.
Speaker 13: He's right, and.
Speaker 10: It's a gamble. I mean, absolutely, it's a gamble. But you know he deserves the gamble because he got elected, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but again, that's what it's all about. I mean, it's like, look, yesterday people were ready that you jump off buildings because the Red Sox were one, and for tonight they shut the Orioles out three nothing. So all's right with the world, you know. And I think that's the The Red Sox will like the stock market too. They win to in a row and everybody thinks, get the duck boasts. They lose to in a row and people that ruined my summer, So you know that's people are emotional, Matt, simple, Yeah, I love your passion. You know that. You know that, and.
Speaker 10: No, no, I know it. I just that's that just triggers me. The oh my god, oh.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, you're a tough guy. You're not supposed to be triggered. That's that's the folks on the other side who get triggered, Matt.
Speaker 10: Come on, all right, right, yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, thanks Matt, talk to you soon. How's the weather down there, he's probably gone. I missed him. Okay, I was hoping he's gonna tell me the weather was horrible. But I'm jealous. I'm simply jealous of people who get to live in Florida year round. Okay, we're gonna try one more. I think, here, Rob, one quick SoundBite. I don't to short change Brian, who's going to be next. Let me look at what the President said today that might be of relevance to the group tonight. Here we go. Let's let's try cut twenty one, please, Rob, cut twenty one Trump talking about President Trump talking about the the European Union.
Speaker 3: European Union, they're very tough, very very tough traders. You know, you think of European Union, very friendly.
Speaker 2: They rip us off.
Speaker 3: It's so sad to see, it's so pathetic. Thirty nine percent. We're gonna charge them twenty percent, So we charge you can essentially have Vietnam. Great negotiators, great people.
Speaker 4: They like me.
Speaker 2: I like them.
Speaker 3: The problem is they charge us ninety percent. We're gonna charge them forty six percent tariff.
Speaker 2: The numbers, the numbers. We'll be back on Night's side right after the news. At the bottom of the raw by name's Dan Ray. Here comes. I think Dan Watkins is manning or staffing the newsroom tonight.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the call as we go. Where we're going next. We're going to Brian and East Boston. Hey, Brian, you're next time. Nice. I appreciate you calling in your your thought and what the president announced today.
Speaker 4: Good evening, Dan, I thought you forgot about me.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, man, I'm sorry. Everybody's everybody's looking for like five minutes, so go ahead.
Speaker 4: Okay. Well, this is the thing. Tariffs don't work. And I think the last time that ever happened was during I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, if it was during the Mchilly era presidency.
Speaker 2: During the Hoover's era, just before the old Hawley tariff back in nineteen thirty, just before the Great Depression hit depression.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the other thing is this, Uh we had Papa Bush what that NAFTA bill, which is that not the Me and Treat trade for That.
Speaker 2: Wasn't That wasn't Papa Bush. That was Bill Clinton, my friend.
Speaker 4: Well he signed it and pushed it through.
Speaker 2: But no, Clint, now, no, excuse me, excuse me. I'm this is one I'm very much familiar with. This was Bill Clinton and Nuke Gingrich who pushed the NAFTA bill through. And as a matter of fact, if Bush, if either one of the Bush had been president, the unions would have fought them back in the day. But because it was the Democratic president, the unions kind of went along with it, and I think they regretted that decision because the Democrat was in the White House. I'm not joking with you, and anybody wants to check it out, you know, uh, you go right ahead. I mean, if you really think it was Bush, it wasn't Bush. It really you know, I can criticize Bush on a whole bunch of things. That's not one of them.
Speaker 4: The well that uh that that sents all our industry out of the country and you're never going to get that industry back.
Speaker 13: Yet.
Speaker 4: A lot of those old timers, like my father worked in the shoe factory for all those years. You know, they worked, they were hard, and there was you know, they supported the family and all that. I remember there was a building. Now it's uh, they're turning into a hotel. They used to The woman worked as seamstresses. There is when I was a little boy, and you know, you're never going to see those jobs ever come back here. I mean it's you know, that should have never happened, and you know, and it's just so sad, you know, you how we lose industry like that, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was like I agree with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was all like back in the day when World War Two took us out of the depression because they stopped manufacturing cars and the assembly lines we used to make tanks. It was right there in some of all the Model t Ford, the uh Subody Square Mall. It was the factory back in the day to make cars. But then they switched over to make tanks for the WAW.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, I just I want to amend my comments. Okay, there were negotiations, uh you know which which laid the paved, laid the foundation for US Canada trade, US Mexico trade, and then eventually NAFTA. But I'm looking at video right now of Bill Clinton remarks on the signing of the NAFTA implement Implementation Act December eighth, nineteen ninety three. And and I think the unions regret that they did not fight that harder. Yeah, yeah, than they would have they had a Democratic president, and I think that Clinton assuaged them and said, hey, it's going to be okay. And I think it was. I think it was devastating in my opinion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was to a lot of old time as you know, back then. Yeah, a lot of them had the aids to retire, and you know, and some of them didn't. And you know, it's just it's just so so sad that what we go through in this in our country, you know, like that, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Let's let's let's just see what happens here. I hope, for for everyone's good benefit, that Trump succeeds here. But but I got a lot of questions because I I just would love to know who, uh, the Democrats are not going to support anything that Donald Trump proposes, okay, And but there's a lot of Republican you know, of economists who are not happy about this. This this is not a pure Democrat Republican split. And it's almost Donald Trump. And you may agree with me or not. Did you see who was sitting in that audience today, A lot of you, a lot of you a union guys. Yeah, the one person. So this is this is Trump kind of taking the the Republican Party and becoming a little bit more significantly more populist, and kind of biting politically into that group that traditionally unions that traditionally have supported the Democratic Party. So there's a lot going on here. There's a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was just like back in the day they had Alan greenspand genius. He was the one that was under four or five presidents even under Clinton. The friend of mine goes, oh, there was a lot of money when Clinton was around.
Speaker 13: No, it wasn't him, it.
Speaker 4: Was green Span That's the reason why there was money around because great, he was a brain. That guy. He's still alive. He's all hunched over now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, married to Andrea Mitchell's.
Speaker 4: Right, Andrea Mitchell.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And a one more thing I want to tell you that Dan back in the day, nineteen eighty five, what's his name Biden did that and he made Reagan sign off on that bill about not being able to double dip your Social Security. We pay into that. It's fiker whether you pay a weekly off. I paid, you know, twice a month, whatever, But we paid into that while we were working the payroll tax for social Security for later on down the road. And then Reagan signed it in eighty five, signed off on it eighty five, and that's when more or less you couldn't double deep.
Speaker 2: Well, it was Reagan, and look, look it was Reagan and Tip O'Neil that did that so called reform. And what it said was, unfortunately, someone like you who might have worked ten years in the private sector, uh, if you had a government pension, you were precluded from so called double dipping. That has finally been corrected, and it's been corrected, you know, in the last last few last year or so. So yeah, that's that's a good thing. Brian, got a run. I'll talk to you, Brian. Brian, you know what you go. You've gone seven minutes, You've gone longer than anybody else. And I get people who are waiting even longer than you waited. So I got a run.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dan, the notch babies you remember hearing about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian, have a great night. We'll talk. Thanks very much. Let me go next to Steven Merrimack, New Hampshire, Steve shooting next on nights Side.
Speaker 11: Hey, Dan, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: I wanted to get you in here before the break. Despite Brian, I had a.
Speaker 6: Couple of points.
Speaker 11: Number one, your spat on on your analysis. I agree with exactly everything you said completely. I did watch that four o'clock announcement, and he made a very convincing argument that I didn't realize how bad things were until he started throwing out the numbers. You know, I guess I am a numbers guy, but you know, there's a lot of these countries are taking advantage of us. Essentially, it's about fentanyl and bringing back manufacturing. And what I see is going to happen in all these countries, some of them are going to cave, and you only need a couple the cave and then all the others are going to fall into line. That's the way I think it's going to go down, and it will probably take about five or six months. I don't see this going anywhere close to the fall, probably as late as August, but I do believe that they're going to cave on it, and I think that we're gonna win. When you have a trade in balance, things are gonna you know, we're at an advantage because they need to sell it to us. When Nixon opened them up the door to China. They should have slammed the door shut, because that's what caused a lot of our problems. As far as I'm concerned, I do remember that very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure Nixon, with Nixon and kissing, you were looking at it as a market. I think at that point China might maybe had a billion people, and they looked at it as another market. But obviously that was a country that they believed that they could turn the hardcore Chinese communist government into a democratic society. That just hasn't happened, and it's not going to happen. I mean, so yeah, I mean that that go ahead.
Speaker 11: I was gonna say, there's the Democrats have a rush to judgment, as they always do, because they're not letting this play out. And it's got to play out. It's going to take a little time. You know. The stock market, you know it, it's I think it's being manipulated by the headphones day anyway. So it's not gonna it's going to go down tomorrow and then they like it when it goes down and goes back up. That's how they make money.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't make money buying opportunities. Yeah, I mean they like it to go up, but they don't mind a big dip because eventually a lot of people made a lot of money. A lot of people probably were selling short today and all of that.
Speaker 11: So have you so have you sold it five minutes before you're in a really good position tomorrow?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Warren Buffett during the pandemic, he made fifty billion dollars. You know, in twenty twenty. He knew when he tied it absolutely perfect.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Well, they always say you can't time the market, but I think you're right on Buffett. And yeah, it would have been nice to sell it at five minutes before today. And if I had been caught trading on the stock market, I might have thought about doing that. To be really honest with you, I'm.
Speaker 11: Too to be taking risky ventures. So I've got everything in a safe place. I don't have to worry about it. But I do think that you know, you're going to see at least several countries, several major countries, they're going to cave to this trade war that brought about by the tariff. And I do think it's going to be more than ten billion. I think we're going to be looking at a huge amount of money coming in. And also I will say, if you have anything that you want to buy, like from Canada, such as you know, my favorite whiskey, you better stock up on it because it's going to cross you a lot more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that. I would tell you that. Late this afternoon, I think I saw something from Doug Ford, who was the head of the province of Ontario, and he said that he would like to I think he is in a little bit more of a negotiating mode today than he was yesterday. But we'll see. You're right, Let's see what happens. Steve. I'm glad I got you before the break.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thank you very much. Man. I really I think this is this is not gonna go away anytime soon. But you know, I think we're gonna win.
Speaker 2: Well, let's let's hope that we as a country prosper. That's that's for me, is what the win is. That's for sure. We'll take a break. We're coming right. Thanks, thanks again, Steve. Take a quick break. I got four folks left, Joe, Lee, John and Bernie. I'm trying my darndas to get all of you in, so please work with me. Coming back on night side.
Speaker 1: It's nice eye with Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: I got back lines, and I don't have a lot of time, but I got Joe and Belmont to start us off here. Joe paved the way, show the way, Joe, go right ahead.
Speaker 14: I believe in Tom's tarras Tarris. I'll tell you why. I think in ten or twenty years, historians are gonna say this is a good thing, even though in two or five years we might have to pay two thousand or five thousand more for a car. I think people are going to have to cut down on their movies, the nightclub lights, trips to Las Vegas. Things have to be done about rent, medical and dental. I think things are gonna be you know, like I said, i'll repeat myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, don't know. Do me a favor, Joe, we got it the first time. You don't have to repeat yourself because I want to give everybody a chance. I think you said it. You said it, Well, what do you think, Joe? It's not important what I think right now. I'm just giving everybody some opportunity to get their point of view in and so thank you for calling. I want to keep rolling.
Speaker 14: Okay, thank you so much, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks talk soon, Joe, Thank you much appreciate it. Let me go to Lee and Dedham and needam excuse me, Lee? Next on Nisaga right head?
Speaker 15: Lee, Hi hiding nice, thank you for whatever.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 15: The last two calls were wonderful. It was nice to hear them. And I avoid that everything's gonna work out. Even the Trump realogy says it's gonna be bumped. You know, he's gonna he's doing things and people just have to be patient. It's a hundred days or whatever, you know, and we're all you know, things will go up, but they're gonna go down, and we're all I people with children and grandchildren. It might not you know. It's just you know, I don't understand why people are have empty with the glass. I don't understand that. You know, we got we got a genius and we have our business man that's gonna send you know, put us on the right boat, and we should be so grateful. Instead it was going crazy. I just shut the TV office. It's too much for me, you know. But anyways, that's all being all right.
Speaker 2: Thanks Lee, thank you very much. You made made you said it well, and you said it with in just a little over a minute. Thank you very much, doctor by talk soon. Let's next up is John and Quincy. John, You're next on nightside, right ahead.
Speaker 13: Good evening. Thank you so much taking my call. And God bless everybody bug all the soldiers all safe and so at the end of the day, it's tariff tax. It is what it is. Sometimes you make these decisions.
Speaker 10: And they work.
Speaker 13: They might not work overnight. They might take five years, it might take two years, it might take ten years. It could happened like the other gentleman said, you know, the beginning the summer, late summer. But the other thing is with all these immigrants that came into this country. Give them three choices, and the count was built on it. I'll give them six choices. Don't take any branch of the military they want, including the merchant Marines. And if they don't want to do that, then they have a nice day. Country was built on immigrants. Greatest generation, War two, guys, go War one? Any any military woman, men, whatever, What was the last time they got a raise? And don't get me wrong, I mean I've voted Republican, I voted Democrats of independent. I mean I'd vote for you, Dan, but you know like you don't run because you know you want to be able to down the cape and do what the school for and everything else, and good luck to your bus. It's a it's a crazy world. And and just hope that there's God there's not a World War three.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you. If it's a World War three, we're all in trouble.
Speaker 13: It'll be over World War three. Don't worry about it. I still got some Sea four left over. And if just calls recorded that, I don't worry. It's legal, it's everything else, and God's a bit Worldward's right, all right?
Speaker 2: Thanks John golf.
Speaker 13: Lesson in the glass of Holy Water on the Cape Bright and whever whatever you know.
Speaker 11: A man, well lady, good boys on Sunday maths.
Speaker 13: Unless you's down the cape.
Speaker 2: Thanks John, be well, be well, my friend, talk to you soon, all right. I got Bertie in New Hampshire and I got done in Indiana coming up. If you want to get I may be able to get one more in. By the way, if you give a quick call, Hey Bernie, how are you good?
Speaker 6: How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 2: Well, so I'm been in the interesting night. A lot of different perspectives, which is what makes me happy as a talk show host.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's been an interesting and a passionate night. Also, the people speaking with passion. Whether you agree with their point of view or not, it's a passionate issue. And he's a passionate president. And sometimes I step back and say, oh my god, what like he just talks says things that come out like he's so blunt, and sometimes that defends people. Sometimes that it defends people, and they set up war rooms and and and sometimes you just gotta step back. And the market is unshakable. I mean, you're gonna have ups, you're gonna have downs, and and and what what my father always told me is take care of the small stuff and the big stuff will take care of itself. Like like I'm like you, Dad, I go shop and at shows for this. I go to market basket by that because you know what, I I grew up poor and I work hard.
Speaker 12: I worked very hard all my life and I and I know the value of a dollar and saving and I try to, you know, instill them values in my children.
Speaker 6: And they're doing a good job at what they're doing, and I try to help them. But the thing is like I remember this old Chinese thing, like the head of a village. They came in. His son was riding a horse and he broke his leg, and the Chief's like, oh my god, my son broke his leg.
Speaker 11: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: Next thing, you know, when an invading army comes in, they take all the military age people out of the village, and his son couldn't go because of that. So what I'm trying to say is we don't always know what's good for us. But I believe that Trump has rounded himself with some very good business people. Let's just step back and breathe. Just breathe for a minute and see what happens and how it takes out. Thank you for taking my call, Di, and you have a wonderful night, all right.
Speaker 2: Bernie, right back at you, you as well. Thanks Bernie, talk to you soon. Let me go next to Dawn in Indiana down. Thanks for calling in.
Speaker 16: How are you, sir, Well, I'm great. I will say that I don't think that this tear of adventure is going to end well. But it's hard to see how Trump could back down from the position that he has taken. But a couple of little things here, you know, people were wondering where those numbers came from on that chart that held up today, and he announced them as if they were the teris being charged to us. But they're actually made up numbers. The White House clarified for a newsweek that the what do they do here? They took each country's terafrate based on the trade deficit with that country, divided by the value of the country's exports. Then Trump cut that number in half and said he was being kind, but actually that their tariff rates are not even the thing that shows up on the chart, and if not the thing on which he based well, one of.
Speaker 2: The one of the apparently I have an email here from a friend of mine who said that apparently they claimed that there was a a ten percent tariff on heard in McDonald's islands. Okay, those are small, uninhabited islands, I guess near Australia. The only people that live on those islands are penguins and elephant seals, and so it said that it's like herd and McDonald's permanent glaciers for that matter.
Speaker 16: You know, trum made a point of talking about the Canadian dairy tariff and those only apply if our exports to Canada come at a very high level, and they have never reached that level. So those high tariffs that he complains about have never been paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not he's a little short on like some of the things that he said about the people who are one hundred and fifty years old. But we'll see. Hey, he got elected. He's gonna take a shot here. Let's see what happens. I'm done. I hate to do this to you, but I'm flat out of time. Night A catch you too as well. Please call more often. Have a great one. We had done for the night. Rob Great Brooks, Marita, Rob Brooks, great job, Marita, thank you very much for your help. To all the callers, thank you. This was a good show. It was interesting people. I learned things and I hope you did as well. Thus we try to do here on nightside. We'll be back tomorrow night. Who knows what we'll be talking about tomorrow night. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal Charlie Rays, who passed fifteen years ago in February. That's where all your pets are who would pass. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again, see again in the mornight on Nightside. Have a great Thursday everyone, I'll be on Facebook. N I saw with Dan Ray in about a minute.