Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, Our last hour here on a Thursday afternoon, coming to you a lot from Charlotte at the ACC basketball tip off is most people have packed up their stuff. They're heading out of here. As you know, the TV coverage has ended. Everybody's done their you know, I think once it hits six o'clock, they're gonna, you know, probably be over our shoulder waiting for us to pack up and leave. But of the four tables that are still here with people working, the person to my direct left is the one and only cl Brown, who, of course I know you guys are familiar with. He's he covers uf L hoops and actually covers a lot of things are locally as a columnist for the Courier Journal, but used to be the beat writer. You guys know, cl He's directly to my left, and I'm telling you I've not seen a more made man at this event in Cel. I mean, he's just sitting here working his ass off. He's got his headphones on, he's typing away doing what he does. And you know he's not seeking anybody out. He's hard at work. And you know there's coaches, you know, walking by Michael Shrewsbury. I mean they want to dapt they want to dap him up. Like usually it's the coaches or the players or you know, I don't know the big name media guys that are you know that everybody's seeking out. But Cel's the star today. So I'm kind of envious. I mean, Michael Shrewsbury tapping him up, Hubert Davis, uh Seth Greenberg, which Seth Greenberg looks a little different in person than what I was than what I was expecting John. I mean that's I don't mean that as a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 3: It's just does he look older or younger or what is it?
Speaker 2: He looks older, I guess. But I will give him credit, you know, I would assume that, you know, I shouldn't mean I don't know. Let me find the right way to say this without sounding like I'm being mean about him. But I'll put it this way. I'm surprised he's carrying all his bags by himself.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes.
Speaker 2: Sense, And and there's a lot of bags, Like you know, I was just walking up the steps there, I went to grab a red Bull because I'm trying to, you know, finish strong here before I you know, I'm not. I don't know why, but I'm like really tired. I don't you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you just did back to back to back interviews all in the same hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, you know that should make me tired. But I kind of hit a wall there right, just we got to five. So I went and grabbed a red Bull and on my way up, I'm going I'm going up the steps. He's going down and he's carrying, like, you know, a backpack looks like two suitcases, one of them like way bigger than a suitcase, certainly not something you would just have as like carry on luggage. And you know, he was struggling with it, and he was looking he kind of looked like a badass, to be honest with you, but yeah, I was just talking to see during the break just about the overall, you know, the league itself, and I was telling him because he's you know, when he when cl left Louisville, he became a college basketball reporter for for ESPN and then covered Carolina specifically for quite some time. And really he's one of the guys who's covered ACC hoops maybe as long as nearly anybody that is here today. We've been lucky to have him in Louisville now twice. But you know, I was telling him, like, I know why the ACC coaches are out here talking about the league needs to get more respect and that you know, they they should get the benefit of the doubt more. And I don't even I mean, I doubt benefit of the doubt is the way they worded it. But you know, that's been a big emphasis today is that, you know, we need to stand up for the league, and it's mostly coaches, and coaches are going to do that. The commissioner is going to do that. That that's really, honestly what you're supposed to do. If you are a coach and you've got a platform and you're going to use it for something productive. It may not work, but it's certainly there's no harm in trying to advocate for your league. Every coach does it. Some people do it, you know, and it's almost it's almost, you know, a joke, right, Like there are leagues out there that, like everybody knows, is not the best league in the country. But each week there's a press conference and they got a conference matchup. Don't be surprised if more than half the coaches in the league will make a reference that we have we have the toughest conference in the country. We have the toughest, you know, most competitive league in the country, and like we we all know it's bs, but it's become such a constant thing that they say that we really don't bat an eye. So again, I'm not even really I'm not like surprised or bothered by coaches and even Phillips advocating for the league claiming it's better than people give it credit for. What do we got to do to get it more respect? So I understand because I get it, But to me, it's about like you got to go earn it, you got to go win. Like I think, outside of Duke in Carolina this year in the ACC, you know, maybe Miami takes a big step forward because you know, they certainly never lack talent. They they and I think they've got a pretty good coach in Laronega, but they're coming off of a year where I believe they were honestly maybe the most disappointing team in college basketball. So outside of Duken Carolina. Maybe it's Miami, maybe it's wake Forest, maybe it's Louisville. I mean, we talked with act. We haven't talked to him, but we usually talk college basketball with him. Vin Sweeney, who covers college hoops for Sports Illustrated, he put his a SEC preview out earlier this week and he has Lovell at number three, and like, you know, I looked around just to kind of see what the reaction was, and we'll have him on next week to kind of he can he can give us a better answer to this. But like as far as were people like stunned and bothered that a team that has finished dead last in the ACC, you know, the last couple of years when the league wasn't great now being a top three team, like, you know, did you get a lot of you I'm gona ask him, did he get a lot of pushback? And it didn't really seem like it when it comes to, like, you know, the reaction online. But I bring all this up to say, if you know, if Louisville or Wake Forest, because I think Steve Forbes has a really good team and I think he's a really good coach, they probably should have gotten in last year. To be honest with you, well, I kind of lied to you because if you go back and look like the resume made it to where it was gonna be tough to put him in. However, you know, I've actually thought the ACC at times has teams that if they get in the tournament, they have the pieces and the personnel to beat not anybody, but like they could make the second weekend and I wouldn't be shocked. But it's not about what you're seiling is It's not about what you can do. It's about what you do. Results ultimately matter. So whenever these like when people say, and you hear this a lot, you can't tell me if you want these two teams play that these aren't tournament teams, Well yeah, I can look at the records, look at what they lost too. Like, it's not about like you, if you were going to field the NCAA tournament based off of what you know a team can do as far as their ceiling, then why would we have a season. So you got to go win, and you got to go you gotta be competitive in the non conference. That way you can somewhat get the benefit of the doubt when you beat up on each other in league play. They used to get the benefit of the doubt because they used to deserve it. And this is what I was telling cl There was a time where you could be fourth or fifth in the ACC but still be a top twenty, top twenty five team. That was an annual thing in the ACC. Now, no, it's not. I mean, we're so far from that as a league, and maybe you get back there, but I don't know. I mean, first time I came to this event was not that long ago. We're talking maybe five six years. I think it was six years, which is crazy to say because it was twenty nine. It was the fall of twenty nineteen. Was the first year I came to this and you know, many months later Louisville had a really good team and COVID happened. But I remember as a college basketball junkie myself, and at that point in my life and in my career, I've been fortunate to be, you know, to cover some pretty big events with college hoops, and you know, it's always a lot of fun. But I remember thinking to myself, because it's not just hey, you're on the road to watch Duke and you're seeing coach k or Beheim is bringing QS into town. But it was the event where all of the guys were together and you see such big names, and I remember kind of being not necessarily starstruck, but just like you know, you're Ruben Elbows. I mean not really, I'm not one of their peers, but you're you're covering an event that features college basketball coaches that, for the most part, a handful of them will go down as the best ever and now you know they're gone, and asking anybody to be the new coach, k asking anybody to be the new Roe Williams or even Mike bray who was larger than life personality and you know, really struggled at the end, but like he was a guy that you know, Beaheim, I give him a lot of crap, but Bayham's a big name in college hoops historically, you know, even Leonard Hamilton, who has kind of fallen off as of late, but you know, the league has just you know, it's the one guy that's still left that I thinks, you know, at that time had a presence about him in college hoops that was, you know, elite. I mean, he's fallen off a cliff and that's Tony Bennett. So you know, I'm a little worried that the ACC never gets back to where it once was, and that's you know, that's a bummer. And you know, we can still say historically, yeah, we're in the best league ever. I mean, I don't even know if there's any numbers or facts that back that up. But you know, I don't belie, you know, I don't. I don't think that the ACC is a top three league in college basketball right now. I mean I really don't. So hopefully, you know, all this year happened about getting more respect and it being better than anybody gives some credit for. Hopefully this year the league goes out and proves that, because, to be honest with you, I mean, if they do that, that's going to help everybody, including Louisville, right, I mean, you want to be able to you know, if you've got a spotty record, that scenario where you still reviewed as a tournament caliber team is when you you know, yeah, you lost three games in January, but man, they were all top fifteen teams. And yeah, after you lost two games in a row to top fifteen teams, then you turned around and you beat a top twenty team, and you know that has a lot of value. You know, what's happened here lately is that there's so much pressure when you do play the elite teams. And look, louisval has not been in the in the mix for a tournament spot in a long time, so trust me, I'm well aware of that. But you know, you don't want to be in a situation to where eighty five percent of your league games you get no value in winning and if you lose, it's a huge black eye. And then pressure mounts when you play the elite team and they may be one of the only two elite teams in your league, and if you don't win, you kind of feel like, yeah, we finished fifteen and five in the league, but we're not snipping the tournament. So you know, as they're tearing down everything and making a lot of noise, I'm sure it's coming across here.
Speaker 3: It's really not that. Did you hear it?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: Like that there there's more going on than the last couple of hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know that that that's my overall thoughts on you know, the league as we get set for for college basketball season, and if you missed our conversation with Coach Kelsey as well as Javon Hadley and Chucky Heburn. That'll be up on the podcast coming up here when the show ends. You know, Uh, Coach Kelsey, you can tell, you know, I could tell. He's done countless interviews really since he got here. I mean he's I mean, it's been NonStop. And you know, that's why I asked him initially, like, do you do you enjoy this? Is it? Is it something you know you have to do and you know it's important, but you hate doing it? And he was probably never going to tell me that he hates it, But I know a lot of coaches don't like it. In fact, some coaches probably will tell you, yeah, this this is not something I want to do, but it's what I got to do. But that's why you mentioned he'd rather be at the keeper center because he knows that the task at hand here. But you know he could tell that, you know, And again, this is this is corny to some and I totally get it. But for what Louisville basketball has has had in recent years, the fans, you know, being alveless with the previous regime, you now have a group of players seemingly especially Chucky and Javon and even coach Kelsey that you know, like love that they're here at Louisville, Like they know what the program is. And not only are they excited to go out and compete, and you know, that's why they're here. That's why they're high level college basketball players and a high level coaches because their competitors is what they do. But you know, Louisville means a lot to them already, and that's you know, it's something you would just expect. But you know, I can just only speak for myself as a fan. It's just nice and refreshing to be reminded of what the program can be in once was given, what's happened you know in recent years. All Right, it's coffee and company. Fel By Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We had about forty five minutes left here before we wrap it up and call it today. We also chatted earlier in the show with a beat writer who covers Virginia that is Pete Madea. He works for the Daily Progress. And you know, I kind of been checked out a little bit as of late. When it comes well this week, I'll just like the college football content that I consume as a college football fan. Some of the podcast I listen to, some of the you know, some of the writers that I read, and you know, sometimes just getting you know, getting lost on Twitter, just you know, enjoying everything that comes with college football on the internet. I've been checked out maybe a little bit, A little bit of his A little bit of it is because I've been here the last two days and I traveled yesterday. But honestly, I think the root of it is because I'm sad that Louisville's gotten off to such a disappointing start. They're three and two. The two teams that have beaten them in the in the last two weeks are certainly good teams. They're both ranked, but it's not about that. It's just about how they've looked. And with all that said, it kind of it kind of made me not realize until just right before the show, and I knew we were going to be bringing on a guest to talk Virginia that they're off to a good start. I can't lie and say they're a really good team, because I don't believe that they are. But they're four and one, and they have momentum not only for them, but you know, they probably look at this as an opportunity to you know, and I mean, Louisville is not the team now that everybody thought they'd be before the season started, But let's be real, this would still be a huge victory for a program like Virginia. And they've got momentum and Louisville doesn't. So you know, you hear, you hear taking care of business quite a bit when it comes to sports, and I think it can have a few different meanings. This is a take care of business game for Louisville, but for you know, I think more than anything, it's just take care of business and avoid a third straight loss and don't lose to Virginia. I would love for them to come out and like look sharp and avoid avoidable mistakes, and I hope they do. And I think if they do that, then they might win this thing big. But they haven't been able to do that yet this year, and you know, I'm just more worried about them losing in any way. Again. If they win and they still look ugly, we'll have to talk about it. We'll know that the result was better than losing, but we'll still be probably concerned about the rest of the season, especially when you got Miami come into town next week. But I just hope they you know, take care of business and you know, get out of there with a win. To you know, it sounds a little dramatic and a little over the top to say, get the win to stop the bleeding, but I kind of feel like we're there. If they follow to three and three and Jeff will move to it, would it be six and one in his last seven games against power four teams. Like that's a nightmare scenario. It doesn't mean that, you know, people are gonna panic as if they got to move on from him, that's ridiculous, But like it, I think you'll see a fan base probably as not dejected, because there's gonna be interest there, but I think they will be, you know, probably in a place that they really didn't never expect to be in with Jeff, And maybe that was unrealistic. Maybe we should have viewed last year as a special season that with four plays or five plays throughout the entire year, if they go a different direction, you're not ten and two, maybe you're six and six. Like I'm not taking credit away for games they did win, but like I'm trying to figure out myself because after the Sea You game, I'm just I'm still puzzled as to how they're they're sloppy, how they are so organized defensively, And you know, that's just one thing I did not expect this year. I didn't know if they'd go ten and two again or if they'd win a ton of games. I thought they could, but to see them be in this position because of the reasons, it's just it's a head scratcher. So in a weird way, I kind of have more nerves for this Virginia game than I've had for for really any game. Not because you know, don't take my nerves as like fear that like I think they're gonna lose, But I guess more than anything, it's because I do know that, like a loss couldn't be chalked up as some like huge surprise. So I hope that they that they don't, but we'll find out on Saturday at at three thirty. That's what I do know, all right. So not to make matters worse here, but I do want to reference this because I'm going to choose to present this statistic to you in a positive way. Not as much as a oh my gosh, this this pisses me off, because again, there's two ways to look at it, and I'm gonna try to be positive here, but if you don't hear it and think anything positive about totally get it. So Kelly Ford is a college football analytic guy. I think Kelly's a guy, but there's no face with the profile. But he's got over twenty thousand followers and he's one of the many college football guys that has his own formula, you know, big into analytics, and each week he cranks out just different stats and facts about teams in college football that I find to be interesting. But what he has here that features Louisville, again, I'm gonna choose to look at this as a positive and that hey, this is just a reminder that if they tighten things up and they stop hurting themselves, not only would they have a better record, they can end up being a really good team that you know, maybe messes around and wins out. Like I'm not saying that's gonna happen at all. I'm just trying to, you know, trying to find that positive angle here to look at this. But what was put together at k Ford rankings on Twitter if you guys want to check it out, but it says, what if everyone possession and overtime game had the opposite results the most does. These are the rankings of most deserving and these are these are the teams that have had you know, one loss, maybe three losses, you know, maybe you know, I don't know, maybe heck, maybe five losses. But it literally came down to one play that that gave you that result of an L and Louisville is number one, and you know, I kind of feel like that does mean again I'm trying to you know, I guess again to go back to what I said, Hey, if they just stop, you know, hurting themselves and maybe those maybe those those plays that are again just one play at the end of the game that doesn't go your way, that that you know at that point, gives you the result. Right if you didn't you know, you didn't get the h the first down against against Notre Dame, you didn't get the first town against SMU and you lost. So like if you did and you kept going like yeah, you know, but it's all the factors leading up to those big moments late that that have you here so you know, you eliminate a few of those, then maybe you're not even in a position where you're having to go forth on fourth down because you're desperate to try to tie it up and potentially win the game. But you know, it's maddening to know that you know you're losing these games and you're not playing well, but one mistake here, one mistake there, and you know you could be five and oh. And if you're five and oh, I mean, think about how much differently we're talking about everything right now. And by the way, on this the number two team is Virginia Tech. They are currently three and three, but they you know, they've got three plays on the year for them in each of those games that they've lost, that that that you know, decided it. So it's not to say that, you know, you're just unlucky, because again, sometimes if you're in a position to where you you know it's down to that, it's probably because you did some things along the way they got you there. But man, they just need to win on Saturday. They just need to beat Virginia and hopefully if they do and they look good doing it, we can, you know, get excited about Miami because you know Miami is is due for a loss. If you watched them in their last couple of games. I happen to think they still have a lot of talent and maybe they're going to come off of a buy, re energize knowing that they avoided two losses and need to clean some things up. So you know, we'll see. But I do know that if Louisville comes out takes an l to Virginia, I mean a game that is easily the biggest home game on your schedule this year, one that you know you thought could be a prime time opportunity for you to make a statement nationally. And I guess that still could happen. But if you lose to Virginia one and then you beat Miami would be more. And I mean, by the way, that would kind of be Jeff Brohm, because I mean a lot of times that Purdue, that's what he would do. But anyways, we'll have our pregame coverage starting at two thirty. It's louis Football. Louisville Football pregame show persent up up Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital will go from two thirty to three thirty and then as soon as the game ends, we will go live for the Louisville Football Postgame Show presented by alex Arwhite, Lawyer's Suit Distracted Driver dot Com. Before we get to our first break here in the five o'clock let me talk to you really quickly about my friends over at Jefferson Animal Hospital. Their blood bank event is coming up here in a matter of nine days, folks, so you've heard me talking about it. We actually had a representative from Jeffersonnimal Hospital on to talk about it. So if you've not made arrangements major plans, get them in order, because don't let it sneak up on you to where you forget and then you've already got something else going on. So keep your Saturday open October nineteenth, between ten am and two pm. They're gonna have their Pints for palls and people event. It's their very first event. It's the Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop. You can bring your pets, bring your family. They're gonna have food and they're gonna do live demonstrations to show you how pet blood donation works. And you can honestly donate blood yourself with the American Red Cross. So it's pines for Pauls and people. October nineteenth, from ten to two. All pets are welcome, All people are welcome. You can get more info at five oh two nine hundred Pets again the number five O two nine hundred Pets, or you can visit pet bloodbank dot com. All right, let's get a quick break out of the way. A lot I want to get into before we before we wrap it up. The reasoning that some Alabama fans are using as to why they lost to Bandy and why things are not the same as they were with Saban makes me laugh in a major way. We'll get to that. Also, there's a new nil company that is raising some real red flags and nobody can be surprised. Speaking of Nick Saban, he's got a chance to do something that I think would be one of the greatest things ever in college football. Highly unlikely, but I'll tell you what it is. On the other side, as we keep this thing rolling along again, it's coffee and company. We are fueled by Thornton's ready here on Sports Talk seven ninety. There's just three of us left here. It looks like, as far as you know, people still broadcasting live they're tearing everything down. And now I went from the beginning of the show feeling as if I just start yelling like I usually do, I project and I'm going to be, you know, in the background of everybody else's show. And I've done shows in this situation before, just never with it being you know, with people that close to us. But now I feel like I'm just going to be yelling and you know, interrupting everybody that's here. Although they're still tearing stuff down, so it's it's still kind of loud, but we got to thirty minutes left here on a Thursday afternoon. Appreciate you guys hanging out with us. Don't forget anything that you might have missed today. We'll have it up on the podcast. You can find it on the IHET radio app or at seven ninety Louisville dot com or on the Apple podcast app if you want to you want to listen to your podcast that way. All right, So, this this news broke this morning, got a lot of attention, and most of the attention seems to be negative. But Kendrick Perkins has founded a company that is going to be offering college and high school athletes upfront money in exchange for a portion of their nil earnings. So I mean this is basically like a high interest you know, payday loan. All right, you've got And by the way, anybody given these dudes meeting these players upfront money in nil Like if if that's the game and you got to play the game to get players, I mean, I guess you gotta do what you got to do. But as a you know, as an industry that is college sports, like you should all kind of like the brown Whenever Deshaun Watson got that contract and Lamar wanted all that money because he just wanted to make sure he was going to be making more than Deshaun Watson, the NFL collectively said, yeah, we're not doing that, Like, yeah, we know he got that deal, we know he got that much guaranteed. But that's the Browns. They're an NFT organization, and nobody else is going to do that. That's what the college the high level college university college programs. It's not just basketball's not just football, it could be any sport. Like there needs to be a collective understanding that you can't give everybody all their money up front. And I don't know how many do. But if they do, they're stupid. I mean, because Jeff Walls actually said it last week in their press conference leading up to the Louisville liive that you know, if you knew you showed up to work and the pay they gave you was the last payment you're ever going to give from him, you're gonna stick around. You're gonna keep coming to work. And if you do, you're gonna keep working your ass off. No, because the job is essentially done because you've been paid. And it's still weird to kind of, you know, to see college sports this way, but that's what it is. It's the new world. You know, these these these aren't kids out here playing for the love of the game anymore. I mean some of them are, and I guess some of them and I'm sure a lot of them love the game, but they've got to treat themselves. I mean, it's a business now for them. This is a job, and I you know, I know it hasn't looked great, you know, since he left, because UNLV has has, you know, I mean, they did take their first loss, but like I still feel like the majority of the reaction from that UNLB quarterback that decided to walk because the money wasn't wasn't what he was told it was going to be. I feel like the majority of the reaction, maybe not overwhelmingly, but it was negative. And I still think that, like people have yet to really view it in you know, his his position if he you know, if he was going to I mean, in fact, he probably wouldn't even be playing college football if he couldn't make money because he's not that good. He's taking advantage of a chance to go play quarterback one more year, something he doesn't really view as a job, but it is a job now, and he can go make way more money in a year than he'd make it any entry level position he would get after college. So like, you know, you can't pay him upfront. It's got to be something that's spread out. But again, these collectives and whatnot, like they're not a payroll company. This is everybody's just figuring it out as we go, and it seems like throughout there have been some massive things that pop up that you realize, oh yeah, this could be problematic. This is going to be an issue, and the reason we're here. It all goes back to the NCAA. Had they been able to wake up and realize what they were doing was you know, wrong, And you know, I'm not even talking morally, but Congress legally told him it's illegal for you to with to keep these student athletes from being able to make money from who they are, so like it was wrong, they got in trouble for so they settled a billion dollar lawsuit recently, earlier this week. So you know, this whole thing with Kendrick Perkins's company, I think what it is is actually a another one of the many things that you're like, oh, yeah, these kids could probably really get taken advantage of here. And you know the fault of that is because there's not a regulated system in place for how student athletes can be compensated for nil. And I can't tell you that I've got the perfect plan, but being stubborn and not adjusting as long as they did, and then having Congress step in and get involved has been a nightmare for the NC DOUBLEA. And it's it's actually hilarious at times because you know they'll come out, we've got our new rules and I don't know our new bylaws when it comes to this and that, and you know they'll publish it legitimately within the NC doublea's website and put out a press release about it and really get it out there, only for people to read it and have to tell the NC DOUBLEA, Hey, don't you realize what you just put in there? As a bylaw, you're legally not allowed to do, Like it's against the law for you to say that they have to do this, and that it's just it's an absolute mess. But anyways, Kendrick Perkins his company, I don't know the name of it, but yeah, it's gonna be called Nilly, you know, hence the name you know from nil I guess. But it's going to offer upfront payments ranging from twenty five thousand into the hundreds of thousands, said Perkins. His co founder is a Wall Street veteran, Chris RICKYARTI And and in turn for this this company, Nilly is going to get exclusive rights to use and sell their athletes those athletes name, image and likeness, and you know, maybe there'll be some success stories from it. But it's it. I mean, it's just it looks like a money grab. I mean, that's that's what it is. I mean, if you think about, you know, the free market, people seeing something that they realize they could potentially tap into in some way and make money. I mean, that's what this is. And I wouldn't, you know, just my just a guess here. I don't. I don't think it's gonna end up being super successful, but who knows. I mean, it also is wild because you see Kendrick Perkins on ESPN. Not every day, but he's on there talking NBA, and you know, I kind of think he's funny, Like I actually find him to be a pretty you know, not in me. I wouldn't say he's a character. Put it that way. You know, sometimes he makes good points, but sometimes he you know, can't what was the name of that player he couldn't say on Draft night that was so hilarious. Played for Arkansas, Miles Moody and he called him Mamudama. He called him like eight different names. But he works for ESPN. And this story was broke by Dan Murphy of ESPN, and it you know, it's it's not a hit piece, but it's not a flattering piece. But like one of your own, you know, coworkers at ESPN is writing an article about one of your business ventures and including quotes from UH Financial experts who claimed this is a this is a red flag, and this is not going to be good. So I mean, one day maybe these new and il stories and situations won't be as interesting. I still find him interesting, but more so just because it's a reminder that it's like it's a circus, all right. So Alabama losing the Andy still is something that when I say it out loud, I can't believe it happened. But it did. And as you could expect, Alabama fans are really, you know, struggling with that. I'm sure some of them have decided to, you know, realize, hey, this is just start first. This is this is where it felt real. We lost Nick Saban. We don't have Nick Saban, and no matter who we get, even if he's great, he's not gonna be Nick Saban. You'd like to be able to learn that, not with a loss of Andy. That's really embarrassing. But that's what happened. But one of the factors that Bama fans and even one of their own writers, I say their own writers. I mean, he doesn't work for Bama, but he's a beat writer I believe working for al dot com. I'll get the specifics because he wrote a piece on it, and he referenced fans making these complaints. I think somebody had called I don't know if they called the Coaches Show, but Alabama fans are bothered by Kaylin de Boor's wardrobe. Have you heard this, John, I've not heard this. No, they they you know, let me see if I can find the uh. It all started with this article that came let me find the right let me find the actual piece here. But he wore like a like a he wore T shirt during the Vandy game and it wasn't like, you know, just a you know, cotton T shirt, but it was like one of those probably one of those Nike like draft fit, but it was a T shirt and you know, that's not something you typically see a coach where and Alabama fans were bothered by it, and it so much so that you know, he had Kaylen Debora had to talk about his outfits because al dot Com wrote wrote a lengthy piece about how it could be a little thing. However, it could also be a sign that he doesn't have, you know, the attention to detail and he's not as polished. And I'm paraphrasing here, but like that's why college football is great, right. I mean these stories where fans who who their teams, their team loses a game, they start thinking that the coach's wardrobe might be, you know, a sign as to why the team is struggling. I mean, it's it's it's hilarious. I mean, I don't know if I've ever really noticed what a coach wears on the sideline in football.
Speaker 3: The only thing that ever stands out to me is is PJ. Fleck from Minnesota wearing those those ties and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and what I don't know, does he wear this every week? Like I'm gonna have to look up you know, pictures of of if Kaylin Gore before he you know, before this Bandy game, because there's a picture of him. He wore a Alabama golf looking polo to his press conference earlier this week, and he looks like he looks uncomfortable, like you know, you ever, you know, like like for example, like I don't ever wear hats. If I wore a hat into the studio one day to John, like most people wearing hats, it's normal. You've never seen me in a hat. You would say, oh my god, you look like a you look like a pedophile. Call the cops, like you know, hopefully you wouldn't say that, but like I peep, I'm not kidding you. Undefeated at this people tell me, why don't you wear hats? I look, I look insane. Oh come on now, you everybody wears hats and can't be that bad. Yeah, and then I'll put the hat on and they say take it off now like it's it's it's scary, Tom. So you know if me, you know, I don't follow Bama that closely, certainly didn't follow him at Washington, but I am curious if like he's wearing a polo for the first time ever because he realizes that the fans are worried about what he wears. If you win, nobody cares what you wear. I mean, that's just the truth and him losing the vand he had nothing to do with his polo. Yeah, you're right. There's you know, PJ Flex, somebody that clearly wears a much different type of uniform than than any not uniform. But you know, game day, a game day fit with with his.
Speaker 3: It's like a suit, right, it's like a like a vest with a Yes, it's very weird.
Speaker 2: What it's like old school football guy.
Speaker 3: But he's also not old school in any way, shape or form, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking here and he looks like I mean, I'm looking at pictures of him when he first got to Bama, and he's got like a like a pullover on. He wore polos at Washington. It looks like when with the quarters hip at Washington as well. But yeah, I'll be honest with you, looking at all of these, I mean, if you just search his name and Google and go to images, you know, the majority of what he's wearing is honestly, it's like a hoodie pull like a like a light. And then I do see the occasional polo, but not during games. It's like at a presser, So maybe he's a polo at a presser T shirt, you know. And again like these are things no one notices unless you lose, and only Alabama fans would notice because you know, they they they're they're trying to figure out how they could ever lose to a team like Vanderbilt. All right, real quick, Nick Saban, the guy who you know stepped down and retired which led to Kaylyn I. But we're getting the job at at at at Alabama. I don't think he'll ever come back and coach again, because you know, he had it. I mean, I just don't know. Maybe he ends up being the guy that realizes like he's a football coach to his at his core and that's all he's ever gonna want to do until he dies. I don't think he's enjoying it, and I think he's doing a really good job with the media coverage as well. I really enjoy him on game day. I mean he's not you know, doesn't have like super big personality, but you know, he's been a good addition to where I feel like that show. For me, it's never really I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's just never really been my cup of tea. But he makes it to where like I do. In fact, I want to make sure I catch a little bit of it because you know, when you're talking about one of the best or maybe the best college football coach of all time, he's somebody that I do want to hear insight and his thoughts into certain matchups and whatnot. But anyways, if he ever does want to coach again, let me tell you where he needs to coach. His alma mater, you know where he went to school, John, I do not Kent State, oh.
Speaker 3: Man, And Kent State's a terrible program too.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, they're worse than terrible. Kent State is currently dead last in yards per game on both offense and defense. Hear me out. They are the worst team in the country on offense and they're the worst team in the country on defense. Think about that. I mean, I feel like that's kind of hard to do. So, I mean, if he really wanted a challenge he didn't need, by the way, he could go there and he would, he would give them And I mean it'd be deon all over again if Nick Saban did that, which he wouldn't. And again I'm just throwing some silly hypothetical thing that'll never happen. But like maybe Saban does get does get bored and he you know, wants a challenge, and because you know, he I think he went out on top of Bama despite you know, not winning a championship in the in the recent years. But hey, he's won enough of them, and not winning a championship recently for Saban is like you know, two years not not winning one, So it's unlikely but he would give them so much attention, and if he really wanted to challenge, it would be a school that he played for, that he cares about, and he certainly I mean I guarantee he believes in his ability, so it won't happen. But it would be like if you are if you are Kent State right now, and you know you're asked to talk about your program historically, currently, whatever, the only thing you could probably just say right now that'll give you any bit of credibilities. Well, Nick Saban went here, right, I mean, like to see a team that bad, I mean, good god, they're they're only they're only putting up two hundred and eighteen yards per game on offense and they're getting up five hundred and eighty two yards per game on defense. I mean, have they fired the coach yet? This has second year.
Speaker 3: He won one game last year and he's obviously completely defeated this year zero to five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have they lost Okay? Have they lost any like bad teams?
Speaker 3: Not aware of who they've lost to?
Speaker 2: Okay, because I'm because I'm I'm thinking like maybe he does get another year, but I feel like, I yeah, yeah, they're I mean, maybe you keep him around in hopes that he breaks through for for a third year. But I mean, if you go from one, oh, dude, they lost. They lost to Saint Francis, a school on Pennsylvania team. Oh yeah, and they lost to pitt by a bunch. They got beat seventy one to zero. They lost back to These are both top ten teams, so it's a little unfair to use these use these as examples, but this is how you end up dead last in both because you played Penn State and Tennessee and back to back weeks. You lost one game seventy one and nothing. You lost the other one fifty six to nothing. So those numbers are clearly inflating the you know the stats. However, you still lost to it. I mean, I don't even have seen Francis as FCS. I think they might be like D two or something. Man, yikes, all right, quick break will come back on the other side. One of the things you heard Pat Kelsey say about recruiting, he can't talk about recruits specifically, but he did say, we're really we're in on the guys we really really like, and one of those guys trimmed his list today. It's one of the best players in the country, and Louisvill's in the mix will tell you who that is. On the other side. As we wrap this thing up, it's coffee and company feel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Just a few minutes left here before we have to end the show. But I do want to tell you some good recruiting news. And I can certainly tell that there's not as much interest in high school recruiting as there ones was, and I think most of it is just due to you knowing that you can go build a great roster every year and you really don't even have to use the high school ranks. You can just do it in the portal. But also Louisville hasn't really been hasn't been active in the high school recruiting scene as far as like a big time player in quite some time. And actually when they did with Kenny, I mean actually just confirmed like how big of a mess everything else was, because I think they brought in some decent talent last year, but this guy's much better than decent. Shelton Henderson a five star Top twenty player. He has eliminated three schools from his list of six in Louisville is now one of those three. So he's from Texas. He visited unofficially, I think, or I think he might have been an official visit a few weeks ago. Maybe was I think might have been right around when the football season started. So Lowivell has been on him since April, right after Pat got the job. And you know they're gonna have some some you know, some some tough competition here to to to essentially land this kid. I mean, he's still considering Duke in Texas and he's from Texas, and they've obviously got a hell, you know, a whole lot to sell there and then obviously Duke is Duke. They seemingly get any recruit they want. But to see that you're one of three, you know, it's good sign. He's a six to six wing and he's really really good and would be a big time edition. So fingers crossed. All right, one more time before we wrap it up, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital. Keep him in mind, folks, when it comes to your pets, you want them to be safe, right, you want them to be taken care of. And if your if your pet, you know, isn't showing you any signs of anything bothering them, your cat or your dog. You know, that may make you think that everything's a okay, but it's always worth getting them checked out, getting them looked at, just to check up, just to see how things are. That way, you don't have to end up in a situation where he waited too long and maybe you found something way late in the process, and you know it could be devastating. So again, Jefferson Animal Hospital. They've been around for forty four years. They're open twenty four hours a day, three hundred and sixty five days a year, even on Christmas. They've got a doctor on site in case of an emergency. So again, keep them in mind. It's Jefferson Animal Hospital. You can check them out online at Jefferson Vets dot com or give him a call at five O two nine hundred.
Speaker 1: Pets.
Speaker 2: All right, that'll do it for us. We're out of here. I'm gonna pack up head of the airport and hopefully not have any airport issues Fingers crossed travels. Yep, thank you sir, and then I'll be back at it tomorrow. John's gonna be down the hall with Terry, and I think Austin's going to be in so I'm sure I'll see you tomorrow, John, But of course you'll be with us in spirit, right, just say absolutely. So I'm not sad, I'll be jealous.
Speaker 3: You're all gonna be having more fun over here. We got to talk about news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not fun, right. We want to talk about nonsense. That's what this show is. We pride ourselves in all the nonsense. But again, thanks to everybody for hanging out today. Back at it in Louisville tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety