Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Today, we're tackling a really interesting challenge. How do we actually build the cutting edge tech that's powering modern retail, you know, things like RFID tracking, automated software agents, but do it in a way that's well legal by design.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the core idea our guide. Here is the book Legal Programming, Designing Legally Compliant RFID and Software Agent Architectures for Retail Processes and Beyond.
Speaker 1: By Brian Subirana and Malcolm Bain. It's part of this bigger series, the Integrated Series and Information.
Speaker 2: System exactly in this book, it really sits at the heart of a crucial discussion, how do we bring legal thinking, you know, right into the initial design phase.
Speaker 1: Instead of building something and then uh oh, trying to figure out if it breaks the law.
Speaker 2: Later, precisely baking in compliance from the get go, which is becoming so important as we see more automation like RFID and inventory maybe even autonomous shopping agents down the line. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And the scope here is pretty wide, isn't. The book covers contracts, intellectual property, consumer protection, privacy.
Speaker 2: All seen through this lens of new retail tech.
Speaker 1: Right, and they use this neat framing device thinking about society through its retail. Like looking at Passa San Marco ages ago told you about Venice. Today they say, our store trolleyview gives us similar insights into our well increasingly digital and automated world.
Speaker 2: And that store trolleyview really highlights something fundamental. These simple acts browsing, buying, they're wrapped up in this complex web of legal and social.
Speaker 1: Rules which technology is now kind of shaking up.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It forces us to rethink how those rules apply when things get more automated.
Speaker 1: Okay, so our mission for this deep dive really get to grips with the specific legal risks and maybe some solutions when we mix online retail, RFID and especially these software agents handling transactions.
Speaker 2: And the book points out this core tension right away, which is that a lot of online stuff happening now might already be legally well questionable, and moving towards agents and RFID environments that could seriously amplify the risks.
Speaker 1: Because these agent systems they promise efficiency, Yeah, but they're operating under laws made for people talking to people essentially, right, That's.
Speaker 2: The fundamental challenge bridging the gap between this fast, autonomous tech and this sort of deliberate, consent based world of law.
Speaker 1: And that's where this process view comes in. The idea is focusing on the processes themselves might help align tech with law.
Speaker 2: That's the proposal. So maybe we start with contracts. What does the book say about how they're formed legally, especially online where things feel so frictionless. Okay, contracts, well, traditionally you need an offer, acceptance and clear consent, simple enough on paper. What but how those are interpreted that can vary quite a bit legally jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Even clicking I agree online?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about that?
Speaker 2: In one place that might seal the deal acceptance. Elsewhere it might just be you making an offer that the website still needs to formally accept. It's not always clear cut, and.
Speaker 1: The book flags a lot of potential issues with online contracts right, things like terms you can't negotiate.
Speaker 2: Unilateral terms yeah, or product descriptions missing key details, hidden costs, popping up late.
Speaker 1: And maybe no solid record of what was actually agreed exactly.
Speaker 2: The EU e Commerce Directive tries to tackle some of this, but it's still a complex landscape.
Speaker 1: And then we layer on more tech. You mentioned IPv six.
Speaker 2: Right, the next Internet protocol. The key thing there is it can assign unique digital IDs to pretty much every device, which means tracking, potentially very fine grain tracking. Now there are privacy extensions being discussed, but that underlying ability for embedded ID, big privacy implications could change how we think about online consent.
Speaker 1: And then there's RFID, this Internet of things where items have unique IDs can be tracked, trigger actions.
Speaker 2: Super efficient for retail inventory management.
Speaker 1: All that, but as the book points out, huge privacy worries too. Imagine every single thing you own broadcasting its location or history.
Speaker 2: And all this feeds into the legal uncertainty because the Internet, well, it doesn't care about.
Speaker 1: Borders, different countries, different rules. Privacy is a big example.
Speaker 2: Definitely, the US is moving towards more legislation, but it's still different from say EU's GDPR approach, which came after the book, but shows the trend. Navigating these differences is tough.
Speaker 1: So the EU tried this regulation at origin thing, the.
Speaker 2: E commerce directive. Yeah, basically you follow the rules where you're based. Yeah, but even that gets complicated, especially with things like VAT It's.
Speaker 1: Wild how deep the legal rabbit holes go. Like domain names. The book mentions dot com domains in Virginia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the fact that legal action against the domain itself can happen in Virginia because the root server is there. It means jurisdiction could potentially land there no matter where the owner is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: It really just highlights that the law for e commerce is still, you know, evol It feels a bit like a patchwork sometimes compared to traditional commerce.
Speaker 1: Law, and that uncertainty fuels consumer worries about fraud, data breaches.
Speaker 2: Leads people to maybe prefer buying within their own country where they feel the legal ground is firmer. Though things like BBB Online are trying to help with cross border disputes.
Speaker 1: So amidst all this, the book maps out how e commerce models evolved from EDI.
Speaker 2: Electronic data interchange, yeah, very structured, then electronic marketplaces and now these complex transaction streams with loads of intermediaries.
Speaker 1: And it makes a distinction between controlled B to B platforms versus open B two C website.
Speaker 2: Right hierarchical versus market based. They need different trust mechanisms. B to B often has pre agreed rules, B two C needs more on the fly trust building.
Speaker 1: And the book suggests the way these platforms are built contributes to legal issues like the build first, ask later mindset.
Speaker 2: That and the sheer speed of web development prioritizing features over compliance, plus business models relying heavily on data collection. It can all push legal compliance down the priority list.
Speaker 1: And the standard non negotiable terms don't help legally either.
Speaker 2: Definitely not So now let's bring in software agents. Okay. The book makes a key distinction at technical agent software acting independently versus legal agency, which is about authority to act for someone else.
Speaker 1: Different things but related.
Speaker 2: The parallels are useful. Yeah, and it mentions formal models like BDI, beliefs, desires, intentions, trying to map out agent thinking, which is important when you ask who's responsible later?
Speaker 1: Right. Understanding the logic helps assign accountability, and the book shows agents could do a lot in e commerce, filtering data, personal.
Speaker 2: Assistance, negotiating deals, managing risk. It's a long list, and.
Speaker 1: It connects closed agent platforms to those hierarchical models and open platforms to the market based ones. Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Currently agents are mostly helpers right search engines, shopping assistants still under user control.
Speaker 1: But the book sees more intelligent agents coming ones that can initiate deals on their own learn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think automated warehouse restocking or an agent doing your weekly grocery shop autonomously.
Speaker 1: And RFID amplifies this because physical items feed data directly to these agents exactly.
Speaker 2: It creates a much more dynamic, potentially autonomous system. The book paints this picture with agents for contracts, data management, user profiling, monitoring, even consumer protection.
Speaker 1: Very automated future sounds convenient, but the book flags the downsides. Agents might help with compliance sometimes, but.
Speaker 2: They also create new legal headaches, big ones. Can an agent have legal personality? How do we get valid consent for contracts or data use via an agent? What about IP rights when agents use online content?
Speaker 1: So many questions, contract formation, liability, privacy, IPR identification, who's responsible for what the agent says? Monitoring mistakes? Jurisdiction too.
Speaker 2: It's a long list, and legal systems are starting to notice. The book mentions definitions of electronic agent appearing in laws like UADA in the US and unsentral.
Speaker 1: Models focusing on that automated action without human review.
Speaker 2: Bit yeah, the law trying to catch up. To make this concrete, The book uses a research scenario.
Speaker 1: Right, the augmented shopping experience.
Speaker 2: Using phones, smart cards, in store screens for personalized stuff, parking directions, smart shopping lists, dietary reminders, product locations, special offers, really.
Speaker 1: Bringing mobile commerce commerce into the physical store. It mentions the tech making this feasible gprs, Bluetooth, Wi Fi, powerful phones, and.
Speaker 2: It connects to ubiquitous computing tech fading into the background, embedded everywhere, like the EUS disappearing computer initiative envisioned.
Speaker 1: And they give practical examples of things going wrong, like your shopping bot buying way too much stuff.
Speaker 2: Or getting a location based offer you didn't really ask for. Right, then, who's responsible? Did you really? Consent raises immedia legal questions.
Speaker 1: And it's not just the shopper and store involved. There are advisors, service providers, data repositories, logistics advertisers, the regulator, lots of actors, each with.
Speaker 2: Different relationships and responsibilities. It's a complex ecosystem.
Speaker 1: So to analyze it, the book introduces four agent types A store advertising, B, store selling, C customer buying agent, and D shopping assistant.
Speaker 2: Right, each with different functions, different legal angles.
Speaker 1: And the core legal areas to examine our contracts again, automated formation, intent, consent signatures.
Speaker 2: Intellectual property access, copyright, trademarks, databases, consumer protection ads, offers, delivery info, and privacy collecting, storing processing data.
Speaker 1: These are the big pillars impacted by adding agents and RFID building on existing Internet law, and the.
Speaker 2: Focus is really on the additional issues these new technologies raise. It distinguishes between observer agents just gathering.
Speaker 1: Info and actor agents that actually do things acquire rights. They cause more legal friction.
Speaker 2: Right, The book's approach is to apply existing laws to these agent process ssss, then try to generalize find higher level rules or meta models, mostly using the EU framework with some US comparisons, but acknowledging national laws needs specifics.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to contract basics consent, offer acceptance, meeting of minds, free will, intention to be bound.
Speaker 2: And the booknotes potential issues like mistake or bad faith, plus slight differences between common law and civil law views.
Speaker 1: On intent and the need for written evidence varies, but it's usually best for proof.
Speaker 2: Then you have key EU directives e signatures on legal standing, distance selling for consumer protection in remote deals, and the e Commerce Directive being absorbed into national laws. Plus specific e commerce laws elsewhere like u ada ZIN in the.
Speaker 1: US, all setting the stage for how agents fit in. What are the practical legal issues for agent contracts procedures?
Speaker 2: How does an agent know it's a real offer? Evidence, meeting and writing requirements? Digitally terms? How are they incorporated understood by the user via the agent? How does an agent provide a binding digital one and consumer rights info? Transparency consent through an autumn time?
Speaker 1: And can the agent itself have legal personality own things be liable?
Speaker 2: The book leans towards no, not under current law. So the challenges attribution linking the agent's actions back to a person.
Speaker 1: Or entity, which brings in legal agency concepts, express authority, a parent authority ratification.
Speaker 2: Exactly could these frameworks apply? The book suggests programming an agent's identity might even help establish a parent authority.
Speaker 1: What about risk if the agent messes up due to bad programming or unexpected learning.
Speaker 2: Keeping records of initial settings and user intent seems crucial for figuring out liability and consumer protection. Laws allowing cancelation of distance contracts might give consumer agent users.
Speaker 1: An edge digital signatures via agents. It comes back to attribution, linking it to the private keyhole.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Article six of the EUE Signatures Directive stresses the signatory needing control.
Speaker 1: Can an agent really be under the user's soul control, especially if it stores passwords or it's a modal agent replicating itself?
Speaker 2: Big questions? Maybe the agent has to check back with the user for sensitive data. The book also notes the tech security requirements for secure signature.
Speaker 1: Devices and do certification authorities usually require users to keep keys secret, not record them.
Speaker 2: Typically yes in their policies. The book also cites Unciti Troll's model law on e commerce, defining the originator and when a message is deemed theirs focusing on authority.
Speaker 1: And the unctral draft model Law on e contracts directly tackles automated systems.
Speaker 2: It does as does UETA in the US, which attributes agent acts to the initiator even without knowledge, but it handles human error differently from machine error. U SATA also recognizes agent contracts with a reasonableness test for consent, but it wasn't widely adopted.
Speaker 1: Any technical fixes mentioned for validating automated contract.
Speaker 2: Briefly touches on policy expressions for security, especially for intelligent and mobile agents.
Speaker 1: Okay Let's switch gears to intellectual property rights IPR.
Speaker 2: Right, copyright, trademarks, database rights. How do they apply to agents?
Speaker 1: So copyright basics protects original works fixed in a tangible medium literary, artistic, etc.
Speaker 2: Digital content counts, even RAM storage can be fixed enough. Protection is territorial, but tentees help extend it. Computer programs are usually literary works, but it's the expression, not the underlying idea or algorithm that's protected. Though look and feel sometimes gets protection, especially.
Speaker 1: In the US, and database rights in the EU. That's different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two tiers copyright if the structure is an original creation, and this separate suey generous right if there's substantial investment. Protecting against extracting big chunks applies even to web pages computer generated lists.
Speaker 1: The book has a table Table three two showing IPR issues for agency's processes searching, accessing databases, storing presenting info. Accessing online databases seems key.
Speaker 2: That's often the frux. This section details those compliance problems, looks at exemptions and touches on protecting agent created results. A big concern is agents infringing by displaying copyrighted text or images from websites.
Speaker 1: What about just linking to content.
Speaker 2: Even temporary links made by agents could be infringements, and things like framing or inlining content from other sites are particularly problematic, potentially reproduction, derivative works, unfair competition. There's case law on this, and.
Speaker 1: Could agents create derivative works by combining info from multiple sites like product comparisons with images?
Speaker 2: Potentially? Yes, Then the question is liability who's responsible. In the US, direct infringement usually needs knowledge intent. The DMCA offers safe harbors for service providers under certain conditions.
Speaker 1: And the EU e Commerce Directive has similar exemptions for conduits caching, hosting.
Speaker 2: Yes, if they lack knowledge act fast on takedown notices, but it's maybe harder to claim if the agent is actively modifying or extracting data, not just passing it through.
Speaker 1: Are there any copyright exemptions that might help agents?
Speaker 2: The EU Copyright Directive exempts temporary incidental reproductions if they're essential to a tech process and have no economic value themselves. Article five point one.
Speaker 1: Could that cover agent caching of.
Speaker 2: Ads, for example, Possibly, but it depends if the caching is truly transient or more permanent. Other exemptions like private use education probably don't apply much here.
Speaker 1: What about the e Commerce Directive's rules on no general monitoring obligation and the notice and takedown for hosts could.
Speaker 2: Be relevant if an agent service provider stores data collected by agents like agent D relying on implied consent from websites is tough, especially for commercial.
Speaker 1: Bots and protecting the agent's own output less.
Speaker 2: Focus here, but important Overall. Digital content like web pages can get IPR in various ways artistic work, database rights, etc.
Speaker 1: So moving to solutions for IPR compliance, it's a big debate generally right copyright term open source drms.
Speaker 2: Digital rights management systems. Yeah, the book mentions first generation tech protections like robots, dot txt files, website owners signaling preferences to bots, but they're just netiquete, not legally binding.
Speaker 1: Could we see standardized dialogues agents negotiating access with website drms?
Speaker 2: Potentially? Maybe not common now for general web data, but could be. But there's a worry drms might be too blunt, ignore fair use, create issues for users whose agents infringe without them knowing. Current drms often lack flexibility.
Speaker 1: So a key problem is agent autonomy versus license restrictions. Agents might not understand copyright notices like humans do.
Speaker 2: Exactly. And again, liability attribution is tricky. Who's the user or custodian store shopper who has control could be joint liability and exemptions might have played differently depending on who runs the.
Speaker 1: Agent, and identifying the agent is hard to makes it tough for rights holders breeds, mistrust.
Speaker 2: Right dynamic ips asian platforms. Identification isn't easy unless it's built in which raises privacy flags. Content owners might block unknown agents or demand trusted ID systems, eas trust frameworks, maybe agent certification.
Speaker 1: Content owners struggle to know when infringement happened, who did it. Current weblogs and IPv four aren't always enough. Legal certainty might have to wait for case. Law needs interoperability, release control, persistence for these agents.
Speaker 2: Which brings us back to designing systems differently. Higher level models integrating legal issues into architecture and process models right from the start embed compliance.
Speaker 1: If legal rules can be modeled with standard languages, you apply that model to the business process model to get a compliant architecture.
Speaker 2: That's the idea. Where law allows negotiation like access consent, maybe standardized protocols, where it mandates procedures like specific consent forms, build those in as constraints.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's tackle consumer protection now, all right.
Speaker 2: The book outlines the EU framework, lots of harmonization, but still national laws implementing directives. The analysis looks at risks for retailers and consumers from agents in the research scenario.
Speaker 1: It starts with some history EC Treaty Art. One hundred and fifty three initiatives leading to the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive, then key directives distant selling e commerce. Unfair Commercial Practices and.
Speaker 2: Specific articles in the e Commerce Directive are crucial. General info requirements Art five Rules on Commercial Communications ADS basically contracting info and those intermediary liability exceptions No.
Speaker 1: Art Five means all service providers, including retailers using agents need to provide clear details name, address, contact, VAT, pricing.
Speaker 2: Yes, easily and permanently accessible. The book also mentions self regulatory codes in some places and other laws like tort law or trade description laws. Though the focus is consumer protection directly hit.
Speaker 1: By agents, and it acknowledges that consumer reluctance about e commerce is still a thing. Lack of confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, studies show it. A legal framework helps, but agents add specific worries sum are technical fixes. Data protection clear info. Others are gray areas. The scope here is agents interacting between consumers and merchion stores providers, not the supply chain or the goods themselves.
Speaker 1: Table four to two maps issues in the pre contractual info ads and contractual feeses. So pre contractual if stores contact consumers via agents, what are the info obligations? Are these information society services? Do distant selling rules apply? What about consent for cold calls via agent?
Speaker 2: Good questions? Does Article ten of distance selling apply to SMS or agent messages? Are they emails or equivalent? Individual communications?
Speaker 1: And the big one directives say provide info to the consumer? Is the agent the consumer?
Speaker 2: That's a major issue. Transparency is key risk the consumer doesn't get the info if the agent doesn't relay it properly. Courts might need to interpret this for agents.
Speaker 1: Pre contractual phase has two sides, reliable product service info and rules on advertise commercial communication like agent A sending offers when you approach a store.
Speaker 2: Section right, and commercial communications cover ads other promotions. Agents A and B might send unsolicited messages triggered by RFID regulated by e commerce directive. Maybe distance contracts directive too. If it's like automated calling needs consent.
Speaker 1: Contractual phase. Agents B and C offering goods via mobile devices need the general info from e commerce directive plus extra details before contract conclusion from distance selling Art.
Speaker 2: Ten. And if the sale isn't an individual communication, you still need to inform about contract steps, codes of conduct, error correction, et cetera. Maybe argue personalized agent messages are equivalent to emails. Crucially, contract terms must be accessible, storable, reproducible by the consumer. RT ten point three often unmet. Now might need extra agent layers.
Speaker 1: Post contractual obligations, liability for performance, transaction recording, merchant disclaimers, applicable law, jurisdiction. Merchants are bound by valid agent contracts like current online sales software. Performance doesn't change that, but should be clear to the consumer.
Speaker 2: The book also looks beyond EU directors to national laws, often based on fair trading principles, mentions, varying protection levels, and the EC's Green Paper aiming to boost confidence. But self regulatory codes have limits due to legal diversity and enforceability questions.
Speaker 1: What about commercial and technical solutions, Trust seals.
Speaker 2: Like BBB web Trader, the audit companies against criteria website info, ordering, privacy, payments disputes important but maybe not infallible, especially on privacy in the US. Insurance is another option.
Speaker 1: Technical proposals, cryptography labels, smart agents, tokens, biometrics, water marks, yeah.
Speaker 2: Things like SSL set tee for payments, visa a smart card reader. Those set adoption was.
Speaker 1: Limited regulatory developments. The EC Green Paper from two thousand and one aimed for more harmonization cooperation, suggested self regulation within legislation, proposed a framework directive on fear trading right.
Speaker 2: Those specific laws might still be needed. Debate was harmonization versus core principles mentioned to sales Promotion regulation proposal. Then the two thousand and three Unfair Business Practices Directive proposal banning pyramid selling undisclosed paid media had a general test for unfairness, define misleading and aggressive practices. Table four to three summarizes issues for agent.
Speaker 1: B okay onto the Big One, privacy, fundamental right, increasing concerns with tech making data collection easier, especially in e commerce, and.
Speaker 2: Very relevant to the research scenario with RFID and agents handling personal data. Book gives historical context OECD Guidelines nineteen eighty Council of Europe Treaty one to eight nineteen eighty one influencing EU law.
Speaker 1: Then the key principles of the nineteen ninety five EU Data Directive purpose limitation, data quality, proportionality, lawful basis, consent, contract, legal need, legitimate interest, transparency, no sense of data processing generally security plus.
Speaker 2: Data subject rights, access, rectification, objection amisrator direct marketing, no automated decisions with significant effect and some exemptions. Also the international angle need for adequate protection for data transfers outside EU mentioned safe harbor specific approved countries provides a summary rules for the research scenario.
Speaker 1: And privacy is fundamental to advanced e commerce. Right so much relies on personal data, the focus shifts to specific risks from agent processing Beyond general eBusiness stuff Ubiquitous computing means wider, more intense data collection is possible.
Speaker 2: General risks get amplified, unauthorized collection, processing, transfer profiling, lack of transparency, bad security. Not the tech itself, but the applications and delegation is key. You trust the agent. As agents get more data, they hold more sensitive info that can be revealed accidentally due to their autonomy.
Speaker 1: Specific agent risks listed are collecting too much data lack of user transparency, control, potential profiling, discrimination, security holes, sharing data without consent, blurring roles of data, controller processor invading user autonomy via unsolicited actions. Multi agent systems add more complexity.
Speaker 2: Summarized as two risk types one accidental non malicious misuse errors, bad security, unexpected behavior, two malicious usage insiders selling data, external attacks.
Speaker 1: Do agents actually hold personal data? If not? Less legal risks likely yes.
Speaker 2: Especially delivery, financial habit data in profiles defines personal data info on identify identifiable natural persons.
Speaker 1: Agents aren't data subjects must be natural person, but agent parameters code could be personal data about the user if linked. Shopping agents likely store profiles.
Speaker 2: Privacy and distributed computing focuses on control who controls agent data processing location. Agents are means for processing, but determining the controller is hard. In distributed agent.
Speaker 1: Systems, agent autonomy learning challenge. Traditional consent models based on initial notification. Agents should maybe inform users of processing keep records. Controllers might want to distance themselves from autonomous agent acts.
Speaker 2: Various proposals for online in privacy policies often long hard for agents. No guarantee of respect seals trusting bb bone line set codes of conduct, industry codes, FEEDMA, DMA, trusted third parties, infomediaries, Passport Liberty Alliance, technical solutions, crypto anonymity tools p THREEP.
Speaker 1: P THREEP Platform for Privacy Preferences aims to inform users via machine readable policies automated handshake, but.
Speaker 2: Criticized doesn't enforce compliance. P THREEP compliance doesn't guarantee EU rule adherence, costly, hard to create accurate policies versus one point zero maybe two simple Later versions aim higher. Mentions related work on preference negotiations, DAN, semantic.
Speaker 1: Web and IPv six again, embedded digital ID via MC address potential for tracking despite privacy enhancement.
Speaker 2: Work Yes concludes privacy is fundamental for agents in the research scenario due to automation profiles, data mining needs proactive privacy, governance for compliance and user trust design agents with privacy and mind from the start.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's wrap up with the conclusions. The book starts by saying the current way e commerce apps are built often leads to illegality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because law struggles to keep pace with tech. Legislation targets existing interactions, finds it hard to anticipate new ones. Sites delays defining directing activities for Brussels regulation debates on information society services.
Speaker 1: E reluctance on national contract law leaves ambiguity Online tech moves faster than law to apps seen with privacy directive updates, ipeer software patent debates. Agents now challenge even recent frameworks like e signatures, data controller roles. Agent IPR leads.
Speaker 2: To retrofitting building tech first. Worrying about law later results in illegal or partially illegal systems due to mismatch book revisits tech solutions for trust compliance crypto labels, smart cards, tokens, biometrics.
Speaker 1: Watermarks, specific legal process requirements, ISSP identification, e commerce directive ART five name, address, contact, etc. Agent providers should comply for confidence invoicing. New VAT directive allows e invoices, maybe needing digital signatures. National variations exist.
Speaker 2: Advocates shifting from low level code to higher level models for e commerce systems better reflex workflows, easier to integrate constraints business and legal argues.
Speaker 1: Business rules and legal rules are similar. Both restrict process freedom. Same modeling methods can create consumptual models for legal principles, privacy contract IPR codifying law structurally.
Speaker 2: Proposes standardized model affirm processes allows a generic legal architecture model for online activities. Apply this legal model to legalize the business process model automating that leads to more compliant transactions via agents.
Speaker 1: Examples of applying this process.
Speaker 2: View agent negotiation mentioned suite deal project using rules rule mel DEMA plus oil to model contract life cycle exceptions. Trust and reputation vital between agency users and agent agent need reliability, security honesty essential for open e commerce, overcoming resistance to delegation processes for trust authorization, certification, access controls, security poble reputation mechanisms need to model rights, obligations, permissions, prohibitions, non fulfillment actions, Reputation systems track trust levels so stable.
Speaker 1: Agent e commerce needs common language ontology, norms, rules, technical and legal standardization happening at language intology level, but pre modeling at normative legal level. Need common loss protocols for agent interaction or negotiation rules. P three P is a partial non agent example but limited legally, though it shows interaction models that could embed rules.
Speaker 2: The ultimate conclusion a process oriented approach integrating legal stress at design time. Legally, engineering the code is needed for greater legal certainty and automated contracting reduced risk in Europe acknowledges some conceptual risks around purely agent deals consent need judicial legislative clarification, put agents in tech frameworks that already include a legal dimension. Cites web service frameworks like UDDI, rosette, net ebXML having pre defined process ontologies, and envisions interoperable agents offering services via contract referencing shared legal ontologies xml RDF bound by embedded regulation, learning from legal updates.
Speaker 1: It's clear from our deep dive today that designing legally sound systems in this fast moving digital world, especially with autonomous agents emerging, is It's complex but absolutely vital.
Speaker 2: M HM and as our look at legal programming showed, taking that proactive approach weaving legal thinking right into the design, it's not just about avoiding trouble.
Speaker 1: No, it's about building the trust needed for these technologies to really take off.
Speaker 2: Exactly understanding this process view the need for legal programming, it gives you a valuable framework for navigating this intersection of law and tech.
Speaker 1: So the ongoing conversation between legal folks and tech folks developing solutions that bridge that gap between law and innovation.
Speaker 2: It's going to crucial and absolutely crucial for ensuring a future of digital commerce that's not just innovative, but fundamentally trustworthy.