Speaker 1: Heftry Gardner Program with our expert Larry Glass is brought to you by green Glum Nursery and Greenhouses, United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips and Gateway First Back.
Speaker 2: And good morning every one. It is thirty nine degrees eight.
Speaker 1: Eight, eight or nine right now is the time for the Green Country Gardener Program and the number is one eight hundred seven nine five nine three six. Larry Glasses our expert, and welcome back. After the Turkey Day, I hope everything went well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very well. Had a good time with the family.
Speaker 2: And you had the you had the granddaughter.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, my granddaughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's smiling. That that is a twenty four hour smile. I've never seen a child smile.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And she flew on the airplane and shit, actually loved it. She was looking out the window.
Speaker 2: I just thought that was great.
Speaker 5: I was fascinated by that at what eight months? Yeah, yeah, so she's really taking it all in. So anyway, no problems on the airplane.
Speaker 3: Thing was for the airport.
Speaker 4: Didn't mama work on a nuclear sub Yes?
Speaker 5: It will not know at the time. They wouldn't let girls. She's on the aircraft carrier Nuclear and so was husband. They met each other on the USS George Washington.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: So cool.
Speaker 4: That was a while back.
Speaker 5: Anyway, God, this time of the year, the weather has changed, man, from one day to a next. Looks like we're going to have some fairly consistent weather this week.
Speaker 1: Yep, forties and fifties in the daytime, in twenties and thirties at night.
Speaker 5: That's about right this time of year. It was getting right close to December, isn't it. Yeah it is, yeah tomorrow, Yeah, yesterday. I put a new ring on the tree too. Getting older, Oh yeah, yeah. It is one of the better times for landscaping and plant trees. Good time for plant and tree. So we got to have some trees on sale at the nursery. To come and pick them out. We'll just throw them in the ground for you.
Speaker 2: You do a little bit more than that.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the shrubs and bulbs and landscaping is a good time for that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You get that ground ready, get all that compost in the ground.
Speaker 4: Get it all chopped up, ready to go.
Speaker 5: We've got several projects online and we're in the middle of one right now, and more on the way.
Speaker 3: Just no end in sight, it seems.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so it's a good time here for that too, because the plants will get well established and get the roots out before spring hits and for the heat hits next summer. Now, you guys got all these little buttons over there, you can make next summer high in the eighties all summer long.
Speaker 2: I wish, I wish it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So anyway, so anyway, it is getting a little bit dry after the rain, maybe here and there. So if you do have some plants that are in the ground, newly planted plants, you want to look at the soil and see if they're getting a little bit on the dry side, because all those roots are just right here when you first plant one, and it's going to use up that water quickly in that root mass, in the established root mass from the container whatever it was planted in first.
Speaker 3: And then you said, well, I just watered it, you know, Yeah, but you gotta water it down.
Speaker 2: Here, watered down and around close.
Speaker 3: To the plant when they or new like that.
Speaker 5: Now, once they're in the ground bout a month or so, their roots are stretching out and they're going to get established, so there's not so much of that evolved so on something new, and that's why we add a lot of mult when we plant.
Speaker 2: New stuff up and move around here.
Speaker 5: Well, it helps prevent water loss, evaporative water loss to it, so you might if you do want to get the tree or shrub, you might want to get some mulch too. That it creates kind of a flywheel effect on the dry and wet cycle, and some on kind of even set out a little it so you don't have to worry about it. Or if you like me planting in the ground and say you're on your own, buddy, yeah, planted a tree like that? Oh just hanging the poor thing. Yeah, I said, no, you have to grow some roots. I'm a tough old man. You have to grow some roots.
Speaker 2: Get out there, boy, grow some root.
Speaker 3: Now that the trunk is the size of a basketball big.
Speaker 5: Around than its big and its changed my truck in the afternoon doing very well. So you know, you don't want to In other words, you don't want to overdo it because then it becomes dependent on that. So you want to kind of as it is establishing.
Speaker 4: Like a brother in law, I guess I'm just saying, I guess.
Speaker 5: You want us roots to really go out, you really want to venture forth. And actually we found when we when we dig up trees the people's loss, it's either buried too deeply in the ground or the roots is never went past the rit mass. Right, So you want to go ahead and water it alternating days for a couple of weeks and back it off to every three days and slowly, slowly get it.
Speaker 3: Used to that soil that's around it.
Speaker 5: So overwatering is one of the biggest problems people have with their plants, and underwatering is the biggest problem people have with the plants.
Speaker 2: But just stay on top of it, folks, should be fine.
Speaker 5: What I like to do is to let it start to wilt a little bit, just a little, not a lot, then then water fairly heavily, and then let it dry out again so its riots will venture forth into the soil and take take hold.
Speaker 4: Okay, make it a strong wind, right.
Speaker 5: So, uh, we've had some weather patterns in the past and dry water.
Speaker 3: We don't have that problem right now.
Speaker 5: The soil is not really dry right now, so but we still want to conserve water. So anyway, this plant this weekend. This weekend to do some hopefully in my garden to dig up the elephant ears.
Speaker 2: You're going to do it this year.
Speaker 5: And yes, they're eight feet tall this year. They're huge elephant tie exactly. I took the thatch from the lawn and throw on top of the ground whenever and one foot layer of a and it's decomposed. Now it's really good stuff. And they've just huge things. And fertilize them and the little drips is in the water them too, so they're doing very well. I didn't have to water that much this year, really seems. But anyway, yeah, and so as the winter progresses, you want to make sure to watch the surface moisture content. And if you have a good layer of mulch on the ground, you really can't see that, but looking on the edge of the sidewalk and if the soil is peel pulling away from the sidewalk, it's being a little bit dry. So it's not a problem right now, but it can be because we don't have any rain forecasts, and I don't know about next week, but all this water we had is going to dry up here now.
Speaker 1: We got sunny, clear skies after today. Yeah, it's all the way through Friday.
Speaker 5: So don't let it get to the point where the soil is pulled away from the sidewalk and all that, or the bed edge anything you got like that, because it's difficult to re establish the moisture content. So even though the moisture seems to be pretty good, if you can possibly do it, don't stop watering, especially on newly planet, newly planted things. So okay, right, so the water level is a pretty good deep down, but on the surface, on your new plants, you might have some difficulties. So people have kind of gotten away from watering their stuff. You can run and run into some troubles with dryness, believe it or not.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Most often asked question, what do I do to my tropical plants to bring them into the house?
Speaker 4: Cut it back?
Speaker 2: Cut them back?
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, things like fighters trees can be cut back. But when you bring a fiers tree in the house, all the leaves fall off of it anyway, and they'll put new ones on. They're kind of like a chat. They can't adjust to new environments very well.
Speaker 2: Stubborn.
Speaker 5: Instead of hiding in the corner under the couch, they just all the leaves just fall off, and there are some other plants that that do better than that. But if your fiers tree does defoliate, don't worry about it. It'll come back, okay. And we do have a good selection of tropical plants at the nursery, so come by and check those out. To the points that as are in looking really nice. We had to do some re roofing on the greenhouse just just for them, so come check it out. It's so nice to come in there and all the waterfalls going and all these tropical plants. It's pretty cool. So come check them out and see lawns right now. Don't get slickered into using a winter riser anyr bermudo grass, they won't use it.
Speaker 3: And dormant and.
Speaker 5: Or or zoiso grass it's kind of superfluous, so don't use it on your bermuta grass or yours grass.
Speaker 3: At this point. No, they don't need any fertilizer.
Speaker 4: If you get too much nitrogen in there, we get the five top four. You pretty bad.
Speaker 5: On the stems, and that's kind of the sort of like a spring dead spot, gotcha, And it comes from overnatrification of the soil and fungal growth and all that. So you want to avoid fertilizing your bermutigraphs at this point.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: If you want a pre emergent herbicide for the spring wage or too late, they're up.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Keep an eye on that.
Speaker 5: When the permuta grass is completely dormant, you can do a moderate application of round up to kill the weeds that are there without killing your bermutographs. I say moderate, don't don't make it too strong. Measure it this time.
Speaker 3: Don't just pour it in the bucket.
Speaker 4: And go measure exactly.
Speaker 5: So fescue grass, though it's doing just fine right now, that likes this cooler weather.
Speaker 3: And just kind of you can mow it fairly low right now.
Speaker 5: You can go down to an inch on it if you want to, and sort of keep it that way in the winter, and then as sprint progresses you want to increase the height. December, you don't want to fertilize your fescue grass. In January, you don't want to fertilize it. Come February, start to tign and fertilize it again. March and April and early part of May is the last time it has to get hardened. Off for the summer and also as the spring. As time progresses in the spring, you want to increase the height of the fescue grass. Also, what that does is create a larger surface area for transpiration the cooling effect that leaves have, and it also helps shade the ground a little bit better too.
Speaker 3: Getting so hot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so fesci grass right now, you can cut a little bit low.
Speaker 3: It looks pretty nice when it's got kind of low.
Speaker 5: But keep in mind you have to set the notch on the moor in the spring for it to tolerate the heat.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, right, Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 1: We're going to be right back after this two minute fifteen second time out.
Speaker 6: If you're a do it yourself, the place you need to go and the place you need to know is United Rentals. A wise man once said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem will look like a nail. Finding out what you need is what the professionals at United Rentals are great at doing. You've noticed when you finally get the right tool or equipment for the job, how easy it is to fix. Well, that's what the experts do at United Rentals every day. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 7: All right, it's Chris Reevar from Gateway First Bank. We know life is busy. Who has time for banking between work, family, and everything in between.
Speaker 4: That's why we bring banking to you.
Speaker 7: Our personal banking services are designed to fit your life. We take the time to get to know you and your needs. Whether it's online over then we're in person at your business. We're here to make banking personal again. Contact us are downtown BARTOSCOO Branch at four two two South Dewey Avenue or at Gateway First dot com Gateway First Bank. You're Gateway to personal banking. That's actually personal Gateway First Bank. Remember FDIC.
Speaker 6: Remember when your mom puts you to bed, and right before she touched you in, she'd say sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs fight. And as little kids, we thought that was funny. Well, if you've ever had bedbugs, you'll know it's not funny. And Accent Pest Control knows that bedbugs are real. They're tiny, round, brown insects and they're a nightmare to deal with. Bedbugs creek quite a nuisance. I can stow away in luggage and end up infesting your home. If you think you might have bedbug, call Accent Pest Control nine one eight three three six fifty nine two and schedule an inspection.
Speaker 8: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 9: Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service. There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 10: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 11: It's nine one eight d three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 9: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 11: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 2: Ooh crazy, this is what they think.
Speaker 6: Confound me.
Speaker 10: Hey gonna stop because they tell me so.
Speaker 3: It's none of.
Speaker 1: Nine miles, but I will.
Speaker 5: Baby, It's outstead.
Speaker 1: I'm talking And welcome back to the Green Country Gardener program and Larry Glasses are expert. If you have a question or com man, just give us a call. One eight hundred and seven four nine five nine three six Larry, what's next?
Speaker 5: You bet let's see our sharp of the week has brittany bush. Yes, are you wanamus elidas?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Otherwise not as winged you want to us. It's in full color right now, red red leaves on it.
Speaker 3: I took a picture of my burning bush.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's on fire.
Speaker 4: It's on fire.
Speaker 3: Here we go there look that huh oh.
Speaker 2: Well, my goodness sakes flames of raging.
Speaker 5: For those of you with color radio, you can see it right anyway, it turns a bright red color.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 5: I do nothing to these plants, absolutely nothing. However, this this, there's one that's kind of close to the house. It's kind of outgrown. It's welcome. But the beauty of you want to as plants is you could cut them back all you want and they just come back just.
Speaker 3: Just good as good, you know, good as new.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 5: So it's going to get as soon as all the color's gone, it's going to get cut up and run through this redder.
Speaker 2: Good lord, from a little those things.
Speaker 5: From eight feet tall down to about two feet it, we'll come back anyway. They reach a height of up to fifteen to twenty feet tall if you let them. There's are some door dwarf for these are compact varieties of the burning bush that don't get quite so big. So uh and it uh. It's very dense bushy and many branch shrubs, so it does branch out when you do cut it back. So I have them in several instances in the yard, two of which have been permitted to grow just as they please. And the one on the back fence it's just un it's just a monster.
Speaker 4: There it is right there.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, that's a life of it.
Speaker 5: It's a six foot fence and it's twice as tall, and the color is just really brilliant. It pops and it's the color shows for I don't know, two or three weeks or so in the fall. But is it really not Other than that, it's it's a good, good shrub to be used for screening or a foundation planting, something like that. And it's very easy to manage because being a member of the Euanabus family. It's it's tough and it responds very well to heavy pruning. I don't like to use it as a hedgerow. It does not make a neat hedge. It doesn't, no, not at all. It just doesn't have a good not like a box wood or a privit edge or something.
Speaker 3: It kind of like Nandina.
Speaker 5: You just can't train them into a hedge formal hedge like that, So they're used in the background for screening and some color in the winter fall in winter, so's it thrives in full sun to almost full shade, and it seems to do best in partial shade and require more frequently watering. I's grown in the full sun as far as the water needs and all that were a little bit out of its league right in here, so we have to supplement it a little bit. And I've got mine own a drip thing, so it gets water when it needs it, and it it just has fairly different use of different uses in the in the landscape. There are several forms of the burning bush. The standard burning bush which just gets kind of large. There's a compact burning bush. But don't misconstrue the word. I'm packed for dwarf. No no, And as far as I know, the no dwarf burning bush anywhere. So the only way to make the dwarf is to get your hedge clippers out in the winter and cut them back real good. Or maybe Kevin could bring his diesel power the way I.
Speaker 4: Got back yet.
Speaker 5: So good thing is it's very tough, easy to grow, fair to insect resistant. I've seen some damage with spider mites on it, but that's about it. They don't seem to hurt it too much. But it doesn't like to drop very well. Oh, so be prepared to multi fairly heavily and watered occasionally in the wintertime.
Speaker 3: And we have a collar.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Hey, good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener program. How your question for Larry, Well, I have a comment.
Speaker 12: And Larry was commenting about how nice the greenhouse is now. Well, I was in there yesterday. I went into. I came to the green house to the nursery to buy some and some kale, and went in to check out. And I went in. I thought, wow, it's really nice. And the lady who checked me out catched me out, said, well, it's our new greenhouse and it is delightful. It's worth it. It's worth a trip almost. I just wanted to say, I couldn't figure out what it was. But when you said you had put a new roof on it and done some other things, why, I thought, that's it. It's paint off.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 4: So well, after thirty five years, I think it is paid.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it should, it should, it should.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I built that waterfall that I built the waterfall in there thirty years ago. It's still working.
Speaker 12: Thereah, it's still there. It's there. We've got a good selection of a panity still out there. I was I was gratified to see that. And I don't need a huge number, but I didn't need some, so it was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we grow those pansies.
Speaker 4: So yeah, we had a big old fleet.
Speaker 5: Of them out back and we exported a lot to other nurseries and tells and whatnot.
Speaker 12: Ood.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we did very well with our panzies this year.
Speaker 12: Shouting about foreign countries. That's super. Oh you got a good work. I'm enjoyed the program.
Speaker 2: All Right, we've got another caller and good morning. Welcome and please turn your radio down in the background. What do you have for Larry today?
Speaker 13: Well, I've gone for City as It's pretty decent five not huge, but I'm wanting to move it. And I was wondering about if can I cut this rent ball in half to divide it to put it into two spots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just yeah, that's.
Speaker 5: For sas a pretty tough plant, so it's chances are it will survive when you when you do a replanet, give it a good sized root mass, good rootball, and then dig a fairly good sized hole and and then put some not really a heavy soil, but you might want to add some composts or some spark mulch.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and with me moving it now, it would be a good time still bloom in the spring.
Speaker 5: You think you'll get it'll pop on a few flowers here and there, but it might get it'll it'll pop on a few flowers here in there, but it'll probably aboard a lot of the blooms just because it takes.
Speaker 3: So much energy.
Speaker 4: Knock it back a little bit, Knock it back a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but yeah, for Cythia, golly, you can take a branch and bury half of it in the ground now.
Speaker 13: I've done that to get in a couple.
Speaker 4: More starts earlier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but they're pretty tough plants. But yeah, you've picked the right time yere to move it if you wanted to move it.
Speaker 13: Okay, alright, but.
Speaker 3: You should have.
Speaker 5: I would say seventy five to eighty five percent success on it.
Speaker 13: Okay, all right, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Very good you thanks for calling.
Speaker 2: All right there you are.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be back with more of your questions and a little bit more knowledge from Larry Glass here at one eight hundred seven three six.
Speaker 2: We'll be back after this two minute timeout.
Speaker 14: Green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses is at it again with great plants for your fall gardens. Start planting pansies and ornamental kale now. It's also time to think ahead by sowing your fescu seed for a beautiful lawn next year. Green Tham has five star blend fescue seed in right now.
Speaker 15: It's never too.
Speaker 14: Late in the season to plant trees and shrubs, and green Tham has the new shipments in green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses on the Water Road, open Monday through Saturday nine to five Sunday eleven four.
Speaker 8: Radiology exams often cause many people fear and anxiety. Trusted, easy to understand information about c MRI and X ray exams can help ease that anxiety. Visit radiologyinfo dot org. You'll find reliable, up to date information on more than two hundred and thirty five radiology procedure exam and disease descriptions. Radiologyinfo dot org offers patient safety information, medical images and screening and wellness information. You'll also find videos featuring radiologists describing what to expect and how to prepare. The site is totally free, doesn't require registration, and is available in English and Spanish. Best of all, radiologyinfo dot org is continually reviewed by medical experts to ensure that it is accurate, end up to date. Get the information you need by visiting radiologyinfo dot org. Produced by the Radiological Society of North America and the American College of Radiology.
Speaker 15: Extinction is Forever to save America's most iconic Extinction is Forever. To save America's most iconic and imperiled species from extinction. We must fight for their future, fight to save the natural lands that wildlife call home, fight to limit pollution, fight for smart development, fight for their future, and fight for ours. For so goes nature, so goes us.
Speaker 1: And welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program. It is eight thirty two forty one degrees and our phone line is opened for the moment we had on eight hundred seven three six laring glass.
Speaker 3: What you got anyway?
Speaker 5: The Bernian bush or the wing Joanimus is a rather slow growing shrub and with a little pruning, can be up to a much smaller size than its potential maximum. When I say pruning, now's the time to get out those thirty two cylinder diesel powered hedge clippers.
Speaker 1: You could have done it on Thursday while Folks was napping from that trip to fan in.
Speaker 4: The turb Actually fall is delayed a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's now fall. We had, you know, extended summer.
Speaker 5: They're there and they're kind of a little bit past their peak right now. They're still showing you some good color. They don't want to do it yet.
Speaker 1: I got carried away. You said thirty two cylinder. I was ready to go.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe sixty four.
Speaker 5: But anyway, I have a burning bush along the north fence or south fence faces south and every February they get cut down to about eighteen inches tall, and you have to consider their ultimate growth. They grow maybe twelve inches a year, and I don't really want them too tall in that situation, because you've got this weeping, big old weeping both cypress to the left of it, and a big old pride of Houston yopon, which is exhibiting a lot of red berries right now, so and I don't want them to crowd the landscape, so they have to be I do shoot my dowarf jopons to February, go through them. I borrowed Kebin's one hundred and twenty eight cylinder.
Speaker 2: Oh big stuff.
Speaker 3: Hedge clippers and cut.
Speaker 5: You know, the number of cylinders are getting bigger as we talk.
Speaker 2: Happened after.
Speaker 4: Story the twenty eight.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it takes that much to get through that stuff anyway, and so so it's getting almost time to really start doing some serious prunium things now. Yopon holly's. A lot of people have these yopon holly's around their house. And when we when we moved into our house, it was two and a half feet away from the foundation. Well they get twenty feet.
Speaker 2: God goodness.
Speaker 5: If you do you want to cut back your yop on holly, you want to do it in spring, just before the leaves start to grow, typically late.
Speaker 3: February early March. Is you don't want to do it right now.
Speaker 5: If it does, if you do have a warm spill, it might spur on some growth and it'll be frozen back. So you do want to delay cutting back of your yop on holly's at this point too. Same thing with the box woods. If you cut them back rather sternly at this point, they and we have a like this week, an extended warm spell more or less that'll get nipped in the cold. So you kind of refrain from that. Now, your deciduous shrubs can be cut back, but don't cut back your deciduous shrubs.
Speaker 3: That have spring flowers on them.
Speaker 5: You're a li of lecture Forcythia's, your flowering quints, et cetera, it zalues. Don't cut them back at this point. Wait till after they bloom. Then it's time to cut back their growth. On the spring spring blooming plants, their growth occurs atturate blooms, and if you cut it back before that, you'll miss out on a lot of the flowers. So funny thing it wasn't a zilious customer wanted me to turn back her Azelius, this is God. This is twenty five years ago. In July, I said, July just the right time for that. Sure, they start setting their blooms, and late July and August it's time to do that. She said, Okay, just do what you need to do, I'll cut them back to their little hat racks.
Speaker 16: And she, oh, my gosh, what did you do. I said, cut them back like you should be if they're going to die. No, no, there, they'll be fine. She said, Okay, I'll pay you when they come back.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: So they started leafing out again in July and August, and they actually they set blooms and in the spring it was just a beautiful, massive white blooms. She paid her bill. So the timing on these shrubs and when their prune is very important. So absolutely, do not cut your exelles back at this point because you won't.
Speaker 3: Have any flowers.
Speaker 5: Don't cut back to lilacs, the versithias, the flowering quins, et cetera, et cetera, viburnums and things that bloom in the spring. Do not cut them back at this point after they bloom. Immediately after they bloom.
Speaker 2: Roses go in with that or oh.
Speaker 5: Now that they actually you do need to cut back your knockouts at this point.
Speaker 4: You yeah, check it.
Speaker 5: And because they grow and develop so quickly in the spring, and if you cut them in the spring, all that new growth is wasted. So you want to cut them back now. So the new growth that comes is utilized by the plant to produce flowers and it doesn't have to go and regenerate after prime time for that.
Speaker 1: Well, now I know what I'm doing, Yeah, sleeping off that turkey, murdering some knockouts.
Speaker 5: So anyway, that's that's some tips and things on the wind to cut back your flower and your shrubs and things.
Speaker 3: And I get that, oh my lie, like plants too big, and I cut it back, and I.
Speaker 5: Tell them absolutely not a little after they bloom. Immediately after they bloom, then you got them back, Okay, So cool. That leads us to our annual the week, which is kind of one of our favorites around here because it does get rather hot here in the summertime. That's Cilusia, and it's considered a tender annual. And they had these spiky blooms on them and now they were blooming like troopers until it got cold the other day. Now they're they're they're kind of like a little shrinkage going on there, kind of like a wet paper towel right now. Anyway, these tender annuals come from tropical Asia and some other warm climates, and there are two kinds of Soilusia. One type bears brightly colored flowers that resemble a cocks of coomin appearance, and the flowers come in a yellow orange comes in the peak. The other type has a flower that is salt and flipped and fluffy and a feathery plume, and they are crimson scarlet or gold yellow tube. They blow them all summer and awful. This last late summer, this selicia put on a really big show this year.
Speaker 4: It was really quite showy.
Speaker 5: I had some in the backyard, in the front yard, we planted some for some customers and it's just a brilliant show of red. So they did very well in the heat we had this last summer and the drought. It didn't seem to mind it too much because I didn't go out of my way to water them, and he did to do anybody else giuse.
Speaker 2: They just kind of did what they did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So they're and that's a good plant to use in a in a drought tolerant landscape. We can go further into that throughout the winter and drought tolerant plants. It seems to be the latest thing with the weather man is to give us a dry weather. So he needs to get his act together and make it rain a little bit more travers.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 5: That leads for our perennialll the week, which is a common plant around here and it grows everywhere, and it's showing some color right now too. That's a Virginia creeper and it's kind of around here, kind of considered a weed in some parts of the country, has kind of been dangered to so the Virginia creepers parthles is this king Cafolia q u i n meaning five five leaves.
Speaker 3: King Cafolia five leaves.
Speaker 5: And it's palmateley compound leaves are not similar to those of any other local bond. The only the only other woody plant here with palmateley compound leaves is a painted.
Speaker 4: Book eye, which is very rare.
Speaker 5: Actually, Virginia creeper has five leaflets and excellent fall color. If you've got structure on which you can grow, you can maintain it. Okay, it's h The seeds will attract the birds and in doing so you get Virginia.
Speaker 4: Creeper all over the yard.
Speaker 3: There's a want salt trialerant. It could be grown as a groundcover.
Speaker 5: They require average moisture and they here to brick, wood and bark with five uh curious looking little discs that have an adhesive on them, and they attached to your brick wall or your woodwall, or your fence or something with these five little discs, and if you pull it off there it looks like a little puppies round up the fence, the five spots on the fence. I have some of this in my yard and I kind of keep it under control when it grows up on the fence.
Speaker 4: I sort of like it.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a soft accent plant, and when it gets out of hand, I just give it a yank. There you go and throw it out and it comes back looks it's fine. So it's it's a really tough plant, and it does have some value in the landscape, but it is one that can get out of control. I've seen it covering people's houses. It's the point where you can't see the house. Yeah, exactly. So it doesn't ring quickly too. If you have, say a concrete wall or retaining walls like that you want to cover, this would be an excellent plant for that because it'll cover it fairly quickly, and it's tough. It is deciduous though in other words, there's no leaves in the winter time, but in the fall that has some pretty good killer on it too. You go up down the Adams or Silver Lake Road over here at the new part of Silver Lake, you can look into the woods over there, being careful.
Speaker 4: Not to drive off, no no, and.
Speaker 5: You can see it actually on the trees from very close to the trees. Now it has it doesn't have aerial roots to attach like poison ivy. It has these little sucker things that attach to the stem. So it really doesn't hurt the plant when it crawls out there because it doesn't invade the bark inside of it.
Speaker 2: Its a structure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a structure, and it gives you some some fall color here and there. But in the landscape it's it's difficult to say if this really has any value at all, because.
Speaker 4: It does get overdrown and you do have to watch it.
Speaker 2: You have to keep it under control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep those pruning cheers in the back pocket.
Speaker 4: You gotta need them.
Speaker 5: I have some on that girl behind the burning bush grows up along the rock on the patio, and if it gets out of hand, I just take the pruiters and cut it and pull it off the wall and let it come back a little bit later, just so it doesn't get so out of hand. But this is one nick. And I've seen houses that are just covered with this stuff, absolutely out of hand if you let it. And it's so difficult to clear off the house after years ago. Yeah, and you get stems big around with this microphone.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's us.
Speaker 3: So they do. They can't get to be a bit of a pest.
Speaker 2: So let's take a quick break. We'll be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 14: Green Dumb Nurse Being Greenhouses is at it again with great plants for your fall gardens. Start by penzees and ornamental kale. Now it's also time to think ahead by sewing your fesc seed for a beautiful lawn next year. Greentham has five star glend fescu seed in right now, it's never too late in the season to plant trees and shrubs, and Greentham has some new shipments in green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses on Nowater Road open Monday through Saturday nine to five, Sunday eleven to four.
Speaker 7: All right, it's Chris Reevard from Gateway First Bank. We know life is busy. Who has time for banking between work, family, and everything in between. That's why we bring banking to you. Our personal banking services are designed to fit your life. We take the time to get to know you and your needs. Whether it's online, over the phone, or in person at your business.
Speaker 4: We're here to make banking personal again.
Speaker 7: Contact us are downtown Barnisville Branch at four to two South Dewey Avenue or at Gateway First dot com Gateway First Bank, your gateway to personal banking. That's actually personal Gateway First Bank. Remember FDIC.
Speaker 9: Who do I call the My tree is trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 10: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 9: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 10: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 11: It's nine one eight v three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 9: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and trade removal needs.
Speaker 11: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 17: Paralyzed veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 11: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war.
Speaker 2: They're gonna need voices.
Speaker 3: Peralyized Veterans of America represents.
Speaker 17: Them changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit PVA dot org. A public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to the Green Country Gardener and our school. Free number is one eight hundred and seven four three six. Learry what's on the agenda?
Speaker 5: Time to plan for your landscape, and it's very important I have a plan, uh, at least a well fought out plan before uh getting involved with the landscape. And that's one thing we offer is a plan. That we've done some rather extensive projects this year. Yeah, that's some technically complicated projects.
Speaker 1: Also, I saw one before the show and the one that you did with a lot of brick and rock and yeah, different levels and yeah, you know, you can't just walk in and say, oh, what something looks like that just throw it together.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. It's kind of complex.
Speaker 5: It is very complicated, and you know the factors we have to consider on this and and other projects too.
Speaker 3: Is how's this going to drain?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you different elevations?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And then and then you have.
Speaker 5: The slope you have to calculate too from the downspouts a two percent slope by two percent because the water has a velocity in a carry debris out in other words, but not.
Speaker 1: Carry everything out, everything away, whole thing you need that slough, do you need a slope to carry it away?
Speaker 5: And make sure you have a two percent slope. What we do is we use a four foot level and to get two percent, use a half inch.
Speaker 3: Pizza pipe on.
Speaker 5: One end of the level and zero on the other and attach it to a big old ten foot long pipe. And then you do the scent line of your trench with the level sitting level, and that way you get your two percent. And likewise, when we do paving, we use a one percent. Then we use a half inch shim if you will, on there to get our one percent slope. So it's very simple and it's kind of Egyptian.
Speaker 4: But it works. It worked for them the pair level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why not?
Speaker 5: So anyway, so planning is very important, and you've got a plan for unforeseen circumstances. So if you do retain your walls, then you do patios and all that.
Speaker 3: You might want to go ahead and.
Speaker 5: Put some sleeves in there for some future irrigation, outdoor lighting and things like that.
Speaker 3: On the on the landscape, and on this one.
Speaker 5: Particular project we did, we provided for that, and there's there's still a few surplus little pipes going through for the other things with it too. So it helps to have a comprehensive plan that not only horizontally but vertically accounts for what's going on with the landscape. In other words, the water has to slope away from the house. Another thing we honor very stringently is the is the the floor elevation in the house. When we do a landscape, we go to the front door and follow the brick line or something, or do a level and we find out where the floor elevation of the house is, and we start below that and let it slope away so you don't get water in the house. I've seen that so many times where they do a landscape and they put a wallet next to the house without accounting for it for the floor elevation, and next thing you know, you have dry rot on your tuba.
Speaker 3: Fours cool.
Speaker 5: So all these things are count for to Another thing is also the soil type you have to.
Speaker 3: Account for, and the.
Speaker 5: Exposure sign or shade, and the trees are there, and the drainage also. And another thing you have to consider is how willing is the customer going to be to maintain these landscapes.
Speaker 3: You don't want to create one. It's just too hard for them to maintain.
Speaker 5: So it make it simple for them to do that and it'll come out just fine. I've seen some landscapes around these people who can barely walk and you have to do something with them every day, and we try to avoid that by using shrubs that don't get very large and make making sure the journe eage works, coming up with a good border an edge around it, either the steel edge.
Speaker 3: Or we don't.
Speaker 4: You like to use a rubber edge. It always pops up in the freeze.
Speaker 5: But one popular thing is a concrete and a stone edge too. That's a pop or brick edge. We've done some brick edge landscapes that really set the house off, depending on the architecture of the house, really set it off nicely. So there's a lot of factors to consider when doing a landscape. It's not just fairy dust and.
Speaker 4: And all that.
Speaker 5: You have to really do some heavy planning on it. And sometimes a landscape installation takes more time then you really think. And we ran into that this this fall with the project and golly what a mess. We got it done though, turned out very nice. So it's always a good time to plan your landscape so you know what's what's happening when it's coming up. And we do give you the option to choose what materials you might want to want for the walls or the retaining walls or paving or plant materials too. You can you can look at it and say I don't like that, and then get on the software and just change it out and get something that that you do.
Speaker 2: Like the next thing. You know, you're all good.
Speaker 5: But if you like it, and I'll say, well, that's going to be a lot of maintenance, do you really want to do that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are right, Okay.
Speaker 5: So that leads us kind of to our another tree of the week, which is a dogwood tree.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty popular tree and actually at.
Speaker 5: My house on Mars, I do have a dog with tree that's doing very well. It's in the right right environment. It's shielded from the afternoon sun. And actually it's had some seeds come up, and last fall I transplanted them to other places in.
Speaker 3: The yard and they're doing very well.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: They're about the shoulder high.
Speaker 5: Now that the seed leagues are next week, I'm sure they'll be blooming there.
Speaker 4: That one of them looks like I might put on a flower or two.
Speaker 5: But the other, the other one isn't. It's still kind of small, I know. But the dogwood is a native, an Eastern native understory tree. It's got kind of some year round interested if you will. White blooms typically in April and May. And each flower is actually four bracts. What you see on the petals, they're not really petals. Those are what you call bracts, be r a ct s. It's the same thing with point setios. The point setia bloom we see. The red thing is not a true flowers, it's a bract. And yeah, with true flowers, a whole lot of little flowers in the center. It's totally with of about three inches the fruit of bright red maturing and fall, and the foliage is an attractive even a green color held in the fall. But it's a very attractive fall color anywhere from red to purple depending on the situation. And this plant does pretty well here. It doesn't like wet feet, it doesn't does not, and it doesn't like a lot of hot sun. This summer was a test for a dog with in the hot sun, and a lot of them didn't do too well.
Speaker 3: That traditionally in the past have done very well in the open.
Speaker 5: So they're going to have to do some recovery and some pruning necessary to pune out all the dead part of the branch got killed off in the and they so they do like some shielding from the hot afterning sun, then they'll do just fine.
Speaker 2: Very good.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back after this time out What.
Speaker 18: Happens when a healthcare system truly listens. Healing happens, hope happens, Good health happens.
Speaker 3: At Ascension.
Speaker 18: We know because we listen to you to better understand you. Then our network of doctors, nurses, and care teams at Saint John deliver a personalized healthcare experience that's right for you.
Speaker 15: And your family.
Speaker 18: Find the care you need at St. Johnhealthsystem dot com.
Speaker 6: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 19: From the time Frank Phillips completed his magnificent Lodge home at Woolla Rock in nineteen twenty five until Jane's death in nineteen forty eight, they entertained the rich and the famous from all over the world. Their guests included wealthy business legends such as John D. Rockefeller and Henry Sinclair, politicians such as President Harry Truman and President Herbert Hoover, entertainers Rudy Valley, Will Rogers and Rubinoff, famous authors such as Edna Ferber, Pilot Wiley Post, Elliott Roosevelt, son of President Roosevelt. The list goes on and on. As we look back on the parties and the stories and the deals that were being done at the lodge, we realized that it truly was the Great Gatsby of the Midwest. To most of Frank's guests, who were visiting from the East or West coast, and many times from Europe, they were truly seen a glimpse of the wild West that they had heard so much about, while in fact that era was long over by then. Frank Phillips loved the history and wanted to do everything he could to make sure that his guests received there's money's worth during their visit to his lodge and to Woollarock. With that in mind, it was not unusual for a car load of his guests to arrive at the gates of Woolarock and their large black sedans and be stopped by masked bandits on horseback, taken from their cars and robbed of their wallets, jewelry, and purses, and then sent on.
Speaker 2: Their way by the thieves.
Speaker 19: What those guests didn't realize is that these were employees of Franks, who hurried back to the lodge on horseback, arriving well ahead of the cars. When the guests arrived at the lodge and burst into the house telling their wild and terrifying story to Frank, he would smile and point to the table in the living room where the stolen loot was on display, compliments of Uncle Frank. Once their blood pressure had returned to normal, they too enjoyed Frank's welcome to the Ranch joke. They came to see the wild West, and Frank Phillips obliged in true Oklahoma fashion, and they left Woollarock with stories that likely got bigger and bigger and bigger over the years. That same magic continues still today at this national treasure.
Speaker 8: Welcome home to Wallarock.
Speaker 20: Cig maken metics from Romans Outdoor Power. Cover more ground with the fast, durable Cabota Sidekit featuring a gas parate inch deliver as, a top speed of forty miles an hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo, and the strength to haul what meets holland all back by a two year, one thousand hour warning.
Speaker 4: Get zero down, zero.
Speaker 20: Percent financing for fifty four months or save up to.
Speaker 10: Two thousand dollars.
Speaker 20: Now through twelve thirty one twenty four see us or go to Cabota USA dot com for more information. Get more done right with Cabota Sidekick, Roman's Outdoor Power, your local Combota dealer, Highway seventy five and Bartlesville Independence four online at Okikubota dot com.
Speaker 1: Alrighty folks, it is eight fifty seven. Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program. He's Larry Glass, I'm Tom Davis, and what you got on the.
Speaker 3: Anyway punt Setta's right now.
Speaker 5: They're actually very easy to care for house plants quote unquote in their native country of Mexico. They can become leggy bushes, reaching up to ten feet tall.
Speaker 2: Leggy bushes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you need to cut a hole in the ceiling so the thing will grow up. Ah, However, most people grow them as a seasonal fire plant during the holidays right now. And actually I have know the customers who have been able to keep theirs going for years and.
Speaker 4: Years and years.
Speaker 2: Really now, yeah, yeah, yeah, I used to work at a TV station. Those things get killed.
Speaker 3: I think it's because they.
Speaker 2: Didn't know what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Well, there are you for me Pulcherima genus and species or remember the Euphorbia family there. So they're kind of drought tolerant too. Anyway, they do pretty well outside and landscape in the summertime, but as soon as he gets you know, like thirty one point nine degrees, well they kind of kick over. They do not take absolutely, do not take any freeze at all.
Speaker 1: The thing was, we had a lady whose only job was to come in and water them as necessary, and then after like New Years, she stopped coming around.
Speaker 2: Next thing, things looking bad. They had to clear them off to the TV side.
Speaker 5: But anyway, they have a color for an extended period of time, so they're really quite showing the house, and then points that as the flowers, the red things just see.
Speaker 3: Are not really the blooms. Those are modified leaves.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: We talked about the dogs, same kind of thing. And what's in the middle, that yellow in the middle or the blooms.
Speaker 2: Actually that's it.
Speaker 5: At this point in time though, the blooms in the middle, she had just barely being opened. It's almost December, I see what tomorrow, Yeah, about twelve hours there. Okay, well popped and open. But but anyway, the flowers are in the middle, and you want to look at the how far along the flowers are in the middle, And if they're starting to shrivel up a little bit, well you've got a plant that's been around a little too long. Yeah, so you might look at the don't look at the blooms themselves, but look at the actually the real booms in the middle. How far along the plant is. And we try to present plants that are very well ready to go into the house at any time this time of year, not something in you know, August.
Speaker 3: But well right now too.
Speaker 5: So they will get up to ten feet tall if you let them, but I don't think they'll do it here. It gets a little chili in the fall for them to do that. And typically what we have right now are the red ones. They seem to be the most popular ones, and some of the other colors are starting to lose a little popularity and people are going more traditional seems lately with the red points.
Speaker 3: That is, so, we got plenty of those. Keep them slightly moist, but makes sure it is well drained.
Speaker 5: And they should do okay, a whole lot of light and avoid cold spells and keep them away from the duck to heating ducts and all that.
Speaker 3: They should do just fine, and all they tom got what a week?
Speaker 5: Huh uh huh. Keep that shovel sharp. We will see you next week, all right.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned, folks to the news is coming up next.
Speaker 8: Truity credit Union a better way to bank where members always come first.
Speaker 2: Experienced the credit union difference today Truity