Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to this week's episode of Alexa Mix. We are joined by, as ever, our fabulous panel of posts. We have Alex Kotman, Hey Alex. We've got Bruce t Hi. Everybody, Hello Bruce. We've got Steven Nunyez.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: I am SOPHIEA Benedetto and we are joined today by Randall Thomas, who has many potential introductions that I may choose from. So I'm going to go with my favorite two, which is the first. One's a little more informative CTO at a tech incubator called Geometer, as well as a thanks for Hacker and vonn Dufon, and I'm sure we'll be excited to dig into any of those topics. Welcome Randall, Oh, thank you so much for having me. Yeah, we're so thrilled you could be here. We've got so many great things to dig into today. But one of the things that we often ask us when they first come on is tell us a little bit about how you got into the Elixir community in the first place.
Speaker 2: Strangely enough, the short version is I've been around the Rube community for a long time and one day looked around in all the people that I knew from the old Rubey community, you weren't there anymore, and I figured out where they went, and it turns out that they all showed up inn Elixir. In fact, it was kind of accidental. I went to I think the first Elixir CONFI I had gone to, I think was in twenty eighteen or twenty seventeen, and I showed up there and I literally just walked around. I'm like, wait, so that's why you weren't at Ruby KMF. Oh wait, so you're here. What are you doing here? So I thought I would know no one, and it turned out that I knew everybody. So all the smart people that I sort of cocktailed on and Ruby ended up in Elixir. So I figured they're way smarter than me. I should go follow them see what they're doing. So it's kind of it.
Speaker 1: That's really as good a reason as any, and kind of similar to how I started learning Alixir. It's like, I don't know, maybe four or five years ago, one day, maybe five five thirty, and Steven says, hey, you want to see something cool, And that was kind of like theentre into the wide world of alexir. So following the smart people is the way to go.
Speaker 2: There was a funny thing. I'm pretty sure this is actually true, right, but like all apocryphal stories, because it happened in Barcelona. There was Baruko, Barcelon and Ruby KMF and at the time we were giving this talk on Ruby motion. If you remember, there was this big kerfuffle about hey man, you're gonna be able to write iOS apps in Ruby. And it was actually a really really great idea, I kind of think a little ahead of its time. And I think actually at that conference somebody was talking about, oh, yeah, you heard that somebody's trying to build a Ruby for Elixir or for Erlang, and I'm just like, yeah, good luck with that. I literally thought it was like because I was thinking about, like I tried learning Arlang once when the prag Prague released that first book from Joe on Arlang, and I remember getting into it and I remember thinking I'm like, okay, I'll put this somewhere right above pearl. I recant that statement now, but at the time I was thinking to myself, like, there's no way you're ever going to get Rubis to learn the syntax, because you know, the obsession with beauty and elegance and expressiveness and everything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's really funny that Jose kind of put it onto the Ruby syntax, not as this great statement of let's bring all the Ruby community over right. It was more like, okay, one last thing, right, no way yet, and then then he kind of layers on these these beautiful abstractions. But yeah, it seems like we were kind of circling to each other for a long time randal before for the elexur community that you know, the idea that that you were EngineYard and you know, us to point some stuff there, and you were kind of kind of involved from from the very beginning, and kind of we were. We were just just outside of each other's or bit and didn't really meet until the Garroxio course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is that's actually what I like to say is, you know, I do a lot to to Bruce for for really getting involved in the electric community. I don't actually did you just advertise that course online? Was that what it was? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean we literally just threw a couple of tweets up just to see if there was a test market, to test the market, and we said we would need more people to start the class, and then you were two signed up. But one was you right, and the other one was Patrick Thompson, who's already writing you know, articles and pull requests for or Phoenix or Phoenix Lide you. But that was kind of a cool moment because we had to decide whether to do the class or not, and at that point we decided to go against the grain of traditional courses to it's kind a you know, like a smaller Midge school right where everybody could and then that's that's where we kind of decided to flip the keyboard, and you know, the rest is history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a pretty New York or program before I got to spend a week in pairing with Bruce, at least for a elixir, which is I think that's something that we take for granted. You know, if you come from procedural languages, it's really easy. If you know C, you can kind of learn C plus plus even though it might not be the right idioms, but it's the bridges. If you know job, you can kind of get into go and like. But learning how to actually think in elixir and break down the problem differently or thing functionally is actually one of the big barrier sentry I think people have and seeing it and doing it with other people and going through that evolution was really helped me but actually really leveled up my elixir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I don't I don't take any credit at all for any you're doing an elixir uh by the way, but I do think that there's a moment where your revolution is like a lot of a lot of other people's like mine as well. Right, it's why are the cool kids leaving the room? What do they see and how do I how do I make the mini that mental shift to do the things that that good programmers do. And you know that's what we were all able to go through together in that class, you and Patrick and I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I I still think it's one of the greatest things that where I recommend it. In fact, actually, if you remember, one of the first things I did at CTO was I got a subscription. I think I need you write a feature so I could get my team on Groxia. So shameless plug for Bruce's like learning platform Groxio. It's great to learn alixer in a browser. And I've actually used it for other people and they're like, well, what do you think about Elixer. I'm like, I don't know. Go try it out in a browser, like most people are just blown away that'll run in a browser anyway. So it really doesn't not in a browser, it doesn't. But like those types of abstractions, it's not important. It's like it's like everybody else. You know, first one's free, Amen, first one's free.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But so as your Elixir Generney journey has kind of started off, you didn't kind of peck around the edges like most people did.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: It's you know, you went from kind of zero to sixty, right, so you went from Okay, now I'm in the community technic class to now I've got this incubator. Can you tell us a little bit about what you're doing at Geometer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So some people I used to work with they started a tech incubator, like all good things, and then COVID hit. The most interesting part of actually what we were doing was we ended up pivoting towards doing COVID response work, and a lot of the work we ended up deploying for several states was actually built on Elixer interntline. So we actually have data transformation platforms and pipelines. A fact, we used Broadway for one of them. Two that are currently supporting contact tracing in two states on the East coast, so we learned a lot about both the scalability and functionality. So just to give you an idea, they were caught in batch world. Their best turnaround time started off at twenty four hours, and then when they were really trying to get up to speed, they could do it maybe in six but there were a lot of errors and bugs. We were actually able to in a week spike and prototype something and then in about another week actually get into deployment a solution that using Broadway and the inherent sort of scalability of OTP, that turned the Literally we were able to process the data faster than they could get it to us. So we went from processing and turning around all the COVID cases in about every couple hours to one minute and thirty seconds was our first test, and we got it down to sub one minute, and they were doing it incrementally. We were actually able to reprocess every single test, every single run, every single time, which allowed us to do a different type of quality control, which really matters for deduplication because a lot of the issues that you run into with COVID testing are that the lag between when people get tests and the test results are reported. I mean that duplicates and false positives are a real problem. So that was all done on Elixir and earline, right, And that was one of those things. By the way, we also wrote a telyphony shim that actually did calliphony control, that did call control for connecting calls to contact tracers, also done in arline, and both of them, if I remember correctly, I might be making this up a little bit, but both of them required so few resources that they ran in like a container inside of like an easy two medium, right. It was just so ridiculously efficient that it was kind of kind of sad, and we replaced a bunch of custom made over this Lambda functions that were doing this that had to do with somewhere aer prone. I think the Lamba function loads were a couple hours, like fourteen or fifteen hours to reload the entire universe of data just because of some architectural decisions. But the short version is Alexra was a big win because three people were able to rebuild that system in like a week. So long week, mind you, but it was really kind of impressive. That was one of those really aha moments. When you can think about Elixir and Arline and Beam are very different and they provide almost like what people or devs think of as superpowers.
Speaker 4: So I feel like I've lived the same exact story of Lamb does being painful and terribly slow, and then replacing it with an Elixir app and then it was, you know, like a whole different world entirely.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, have you ever see that T shirt that says go away, I'll replace you with a small shell script. Like, you know, there's like this comic. I think it was floating around for a while, but it's I almost feel like the exact same thing. It's like almost any use case where you're using a Lamb to function, you can use Elixir and it just kind of works. It's kind of funny.
Speaker 4: I mean, a Lamb is effected with like one gen server and we can spawn like you know, thousands of thousands of them, no problem.
Speaker 5: So are you guys saying this? And the question I have is why isn't everyone doing this? Why is Elix or not like the language that everyone builds all the things. I mean, yeah, obviously it's the right soul for every job there. That's a great question. It has nothing to do with technology.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear what you guys think, and then I'll opine with my own slightly derisive, sarcastic view.
Speaker 3: On this and and the darkness behind them, right, one language to rule them all, right, So it's it's interesting I'm starting to play with with a lot of different languages that that have different takes in the world. And so the one that really opened my eyes was Pony because it does so there are a lot of things that Elixer does really well that that Pony just really really sucks at, right, But one of the things that Pony does well is it enforces compiler constraints that enforce concurrency constraints, right, so incorrect programs won't compile. And so you know that that pointed me to to the to the idea that if you have to move a lot of data around, you know, if you have a lot of commutability, then then Elixor isn't it. And so I've been spending a little bit of time in Julia this year just kind of to flux the old math muscles.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I was a math major in college or computer science and math, and so one of the things that that we were focused on was linear algebra I'm sorry, like matrix matrix algebra. And that's kind of what machine learning and machine modeling have have turned into, right. It's it's you have these these massive systems of equations and and algorithms to kind of slowly crank and provide more and more precision. And we're starting to get into the places where where you could take these these massive tables and apply these differential equations to them. And Elixir is just not good at that, and it is never going to be good at that. It's good at kind of the control. But yet, Yeah, I mean I think that that there are a lot of good things that Elixer is great at. It's funny, Randall, it's Elixer is great at almost all the things that we were doing.
Speaker 6: Where you're at these early Ruby communities, right, the deployment, the you know, the the babysit big fat relational database with a web UI, you know, on and on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, so I don't know, what do you get? Why do you guys think it's not winning? I mean, I guess the other question is what's the definition of winning. I don't think universal adoption of everything is the definition of winning. I don't think it's for everyone. Not all languages are for everyone.
Speaker 3: I have a question, how do we know it's not winning?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: The language popularity? And so they make mistakes, right, Oh yeah, didn't they?
Speaker 2: Actually what was it? There's something that they included, like crystal, that's what it was, right, And they ended up playing like new.
Speaker 3: Age chygramming crystals, which is either a programming model or a great way to have your New Age crystals learn as you get more enlightened every day, I.
Speaker 2: Have to look into that. So no, So I think there are lots of things. It's really funny. So one of the things I learned from being a rubyist early on, and at the time I got into Ruby, I was actually an independent consultant and I was all in dot net, like I had actually started a long time ago. System five released three, that's how old I am. But I had gotten into that net because that's where all the consulting money was. So that was C plus plus microsup foundation classes all that crap, and the learning Aha moment for me is I had to take some visual basic programmers and try and teach them C sharp and they failed miserably, Like there was no way to teach them the basics of classes, and they just hadn't learned any of that stuff, and we had to deliver an ETL system. And Blake Miserini at the time he's like, hey, man, I know you like Pearl, but I've got something way better than Pearl. And I apologize for all the Pearl I ever wrote. I think we all need to do that. But he said, I got something way better than Pearl. It's this Ruby thing and like whatever. So I played around with it for a week and I'm like, huh, this is pretty neat, and I'm pretty sure at the time I actually had to go to like a bookstore and find the Ruby book, like an actual print version of the book. This was, you know, so like he had to like run around to borders and whatever and try and find a copy of Dave Thomas's book. And I did over the weekend, and then I tried it with these guys on one day and then I had them doing advanced string processing and classes. They just got it and rocked it. And that was the moment I knew that, like, oh yeah, that's where we need to go, and so I literally just stopped doing Dottin had stuff and started doing all in on Ruby and Erlin and Elixir. And I actually, when I say that earling Elixir Beam, I actually really like to separate those things because I think it's important that you don't mix them or blend them, like there are different things and that you're getting a lot there. I think it has that same feeling as early adoption for Ruby. Like literally when we started doing Ruby work, we had this other company called Quality Humans where we were all doing rails apps and everybody thought that we were crazy. You're like, I don't know this rails thing. I don't know. It seems pretty risky, Like only do guys in Chicago are doing it?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think that very often we as a programming community have to take a step back to take a step forward, right, And I think that that's one of the things that would be provided, right. So it was a huge step forward in a lot of ways, right, first in the idea that programming language should be intuitive and fun. Second in that that you didn't have to specify, it wasn't kind of this this really tedious artificial typing model. And third, we didn't have these really tedious and artificial configurations that were you know, XML that was explicit for everything, with no defaults. All those things were really important for Ruby, and it seems like by taking that step back to reset the kind of the bar on for application developers on the productivity of application developers. You know, we got a lot of the you know, the deployments, you know, immutability, a lot of a lot of things wrong, but there was a whole lot that was right about Ruby that liks Or learned from.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good.
Speaker 1: I like that you mentioned productivity, Bruce, because there's something that I absolutely feel is true of Alexa and Phoenix. And then kind of back to what you were saying, Randall, when you were trying to, you know, move some folks into kind of this realm of like object oriented and when you found Ruby and kind of brought that to them, that people were able to grack it and learn it and be productive in it relatively quickly. And that's absolutely true of Alixir. It's absolutely true of Phoenix, and not just because of you know, Alixir's language features, in the fact that, similarly to Ruby, no, it is eloquent and easy to reason about. But I think there's so many sort of eco Elixir ecosystem features that allow developers and whole teams to be really highly productive. And I think that's why I'm not at all surprised to hear how Alexir and erlang has allowed you guys to solve these really big scale problems for like COVID contact tracing. It reminds me a bit of a talk that was one of the keynotes at Alexa kronk EEO this year, which will hopefully be out soon, about some folks in Kenya who are using Elixir to develop a new like nine to one one emergency contact system around the country. And it's just it's kind of the perfect combination of like scale and concurrency and fault tolerance, but also productivity for actual humans. And so I'd definitely be curious to hear, you know, from you and with your experiences lately with some of these COVID projects, like sounds of you guys spum this up really fast, like a week later you had these working prototypes. So like, what is it about alixer specifically or this ecosystem specifically that let you guys do that so quickly?
Speaker 2: So I'm going to give you the first one in no particular order, but the first one that pops to mind is people. So it's a really bizarre thing that I found is that people who are looking for those exact things that you mentioned, like people for whom tools matter, like productivity matters. Like this is not to poopoo or denegrate people who don't choose that, but there are some people who are like approach things that it's kind of like a craftsman, and some people who approach it it's just like this is my job. But there are literally people who go out and try and learn more because they want better tools, they want a better experience, like all those things holistically matter to them. And I find people who gravitate to the elixir ecosystem generally speaking, care about those things and as a result it ironically it makes them much better problem solvers, Like they literally care about the solution and the elegance solution on I think Buckminster Fuller had that statement. I might be misattributing the quote, but it's like, first I start with a solution, but if at the end it is an elegant, I know that I haven't solved it in the best way. It's kind of that's kind of the gist of it. So we actually because we had people who had experienced in elixir, they were really good at solving problems. Then the other thing that really works out is that beam Erling and Elixer provide great abstractions, Like I really love the fact that you get to pick to the right level of abstraction for your problem, and if you need to go more granular, you can't. If you don't have to go more granular, no need. Like I wrote C plus plus for a long time, probably professionally for the better part of almost eight or nine years. And one of the problems I always I didn't realize at the time because like I started off an assembler and then everything looked better than assembler was that C plus plus forces you to solve every abstraction from the ground up, like almost invariably you're just starting it's like, oh yeah, so let's talk about how you're going to pay out the memory for your class, write another class. Guess what, now you're going to do the exact same thing. Let's talk about the copy se antics for your class. Let's top about like all of these things which really have nothing to do with solving the problem, are the majority of the lift that you actually have to do. And the funny thing is we didn't really think about parallelization. We didn't think about memory usage, we didn't think about cputtilization. We just really thought about, well, we have to do the same thing over and over and over again. Well, how do we solve it in the small we do this? Oh well, what do we need to do to paralyze it? What's this broadway thing? Okay, hey, look this gives us some like composible data pipelines. Well that works really well? Great, Okay, I guess it all works. How fast is it? I don't know. Let's look at it. Oh crap, did it break? Oh no, it finished? Weird? Okay, I guess we solved the problem. But it felt like a happy accident. And that's one of the things I really love about it. Like, so like a perfect example, the first time you run live you, it feels like a happy accident.
Speaker 1: You're like totally You're like, oh, okay, I guess that's it. It just works. And I feel like I've had that experience so much, not just a Live you, but definitely very notably with Live you, but so often you're like, huh, okay, I have to do this thing. I wonder if I just try you know, X, Y, and Z, and then you know you're kind of off to the races. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, Also, speaking of productivity, I actually really like the fact that, specifically when you start talking about abstractions, I like the fact that one of the principal ideas behind both Elixir Earling Phoenix novel libraries is that we don't hide them, we just express them, if that makes sense. Like, there's no super uber magic. The magic is there for you to understand and see, and it basically you can deal with it and you can use it or you cannot. But it's not trying to make something really magical happen. Like I know it's fun to pick on JavaScript, but like promises and JavaScript seem like a really good idea, But I think we've all written some JavaScript where the chain of promises goes down and on and on and on.
Speaker 1: I has no idea what you're talking about does. It's not making at all. I'm curious how you feel that compares to you know, people throw the phrase like rails magic around a lot, and that's something that I know, like Stephen and I encountered and teaching rails is when you take students from the way that we had taught the course back at Flatter and usually went from you know, you're building like a web app with rep, then you Sinatra, than you're using rails, and like the class would always split almost fifty fifty. Like half the people would be so thrilled to get to rails. Stuff would just click for them. They would be so productive, and then the other people would be frankly kind of pissed because they wanted to know what the heck was going on under the hood and weren't comfortable or happy with all of these abstractions.
Speaker 2: So, you know, the funny thing about that is one of the best I think what saved me from that specific thing was one I was lucky enough to take the advanced Ruby class that they taught, where I think it was it was the pragsy I think Dave might have actually taught it, and he specifically talked about eidenclasses and unpacking. So and I think the first version of rails I use was point nine or point eight. It was. It was not long after his brand news, so you had to understand how it worked because the stuff broke all the time, right like, it had some really weird behaviors and we actually used to have this. What we would say is we want Ruby programmers, not rails programmers. And the difference was whether or not you understood the abstractions. And I think that's actually a different approach that people take to learning things, And to me, that's the difference between maybe being a craftsman just being a utilitarian, like you need to understand those abstractions. And in fact, I think somebody was mentioning something about, like, what would you say about learning Elixir? What I wish I had done differently? I think was one of the things we were talking about. One of the things I always tell people is learn Elixir, not Phoenix, right, because a lot of people get into Ruby through rails, and so what they learn is rails, and that's as deep as they go. And the problem then becomes if you ever give them a ruby esque or Ruby centric problem, they always see it through a rail's lens, right, same thing with Elixir. I think it's actually way it's far better to learn Elixir first, then learn Phoenix, then learn Phoenix, and then try and figure out what's going on, because if you learn elixer, you see Phoenix and you're like, well, that makes perfect sense right, pipes, got it, composable, got it? It makes there's nothing there's nothing magical here. The abstractions are all just layered into this particular problem. It's great, but if you only see Phoenix, like I've done this with people. They want build a web app, they go for Phoenix, they get everything working, They're like, I have no idea what's going on here? Like why do you keep returning this? Okay? Thing? Like?
Speaker 1: Or I think what you'll do then, too, is you'll draw a lot of false equivalencies between Phoenix and rails. And I think that that's something that I did a lot, and you know, a lot of the ELIXA that I wrote probably for like you know whatever. The first year of my life is an electric developer was just a mess because I was just trying to write Ruby and Elixir. I think that's probably not uncommon.
Speaker 2: I really agree with you on that one. Like I remember I said the same thing because when I moved to C plus plus from C, I always said that C programmers make the worst C plus plus programmers because you're writing C and C plus plus. And the strange thing is Elixir has both the blessing and the curse. Of looking like Ruby. I have seen it. Like I see people who are literally they're great rubyists. They get into Elixir and like you look at the code and you're like, you know that at variable doesn't do what you think it does, Like that is not what you think it is, right, But you can see them using it like it's a Ruby, like you know, a class little variable, and they're like, well, it's just class a variable, right, Like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: It's really funny. I agree with both of you so much. And what's funny is Sophie that that when I want to learn to code things like an Elixer developer, would I look for your articles? But anyway, neither here Northern so render. One of the things that's that's cool about the pivot that we made when you impactorate to that first class of ours was that our OTP and Phoenix courses have become a looser courses with a little OTP and Phoenix mixed in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's that you know, we we we teach this model of you know, constructor reducer transformer that I think that we started to talk about in your class, but since essence has become stronger, and we also teach this concept of pipelind and with land and how to get between them. But we also try to teach the concepts of how do you learn, where do you find things like how do you find the callbacks? Or behavior? What is a behavior? All those kinds of things really really matter when when you're taking the next step.
Speaker 2: She didn't even think about that. That's the other thing that was really great about Elixir is the documentation is amazing, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And that the documentation actually bleeds through all the way from the documents on X to the documents on the individual page for the project to get up to the documentation and I e X, and all you have to do is using to bring it all in and make it all available.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, actually I think in one of your other podcasts, you guys mentioned something like the we're talking about Don't Fear er Lang? Whose podcast was that.
Speaker 1: We've definitely had that conversation here. Yeah, it's Toime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So by the way, I totally met him for the first time at a lone Star.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, we totally We've got a chance to hang out. I had no idea of like and like we just met it. We just started talking mostly about food.
Speaker 3: Actually, he has the biggest surfer vibe of anybody I've ever met.
Speaker 2: You know, No, he's a great guy. But I actually I had heard his podcast on your podcast, his talking on your podcast, and it was really funny because I think we had some of the same stuff, like Sasag Jerrek's talk on the soul of the Elixir ecosystem. I actually just sent that to somebody. People were like, well, why would you care? Like, why should I care about this? I'm like, go, go watch this. If it resonates, come If it doesn't, well, by all means, keep keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's definitely the best introductory video if anybody wants to know what the beam is and the value proposition set on that video, and if they're not convinced in an hour of listening to Sasha, then it's not for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know. One of the other funny things is so I had this conversation with somebody else the other day because we were talking about JavaScript's easy to pick on listen, like all tools have their both pluses and minuses. But what I was saying is they argument. He's like, listen, javascripts got ubiquity, all these other things, and I said, listen, you don't write JavaScript. He's like, well, what do you mean. I'm like, okay, I'm going to go in and I take your babble canfig and I'm just going to start deleting some stuff. Tell me whether or not this is going to work right. And I think one of the things that nobody realizes is that none of us actually write the languages we think we write. We're writing like Elixir runs on the beam, right, it uses Erling libraries, it uses a whole bunch of other things. Java Closure, they run on JVM. Well, which JVM the hot spot? Like the abstractions between us and the hardware and what we're really doing in the libraries we're all calling. It's actually one of the things which which drives me nuts is that nobody really tries to understand how many abstractions they're getting in between them and their solution. Same thing with JavaScript. You don't actually write jobscript. You write yes six, or you write yes six with reducers, or you write I don't know. I'm a terrible jobscript programmer, but I've tried. I've struggled for hours with my babble jskinfigs and all the other stuff you're try and get something to compile right because I had the wrong type of aerofunction selected right. And it's one of the things I really like about the entire Arling, Elixir and Beam ecosystem is that it makes very transparent at what level you're operating, whereas almost everybody else they tries to obfuscate it. Well even see nobody uses CCE anymore, use clangor LVM right, like think your sea code really doesn't actually the most instances compile straight down anymore, not in the way you think it does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've definitely seen that issue of JavaScript. I was helping somebody during a consultancy and then we're using a Sinkle eight in some AWS lambda, and somewhere deep in the AWS doctor it's like, you can't use a Sinkle weight. It may work, but you know the the LABDA may terminate because the event loop doesn't know that it's still busy or something like that. So you so then we went through and switched everything over to promises and then all of a sudden the thing just worked. So yeah, JavaScript does not equal equal JavaScript at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got Joe Armstrong's voice in my head saying run to completion semantics.
Speaker 2: That's madness, yeah, right, like, well, so you know what, it's the other thing that's really interesting, just language wise. My big kick these days is is Haskell, and I blame Actually, I bring Bruce because he introduced me to Brooklyn Sealinka, and I now know that she's actually ord of magnitude smarter than i'll ever be. And so if she's doing Haskell, then it's it's upon me to incumbent upon me to learn how of what she knows about Askell and the Hascle people are right. Being a terrible Hascal programmer has made me a much better everything else programmer. Right, So, and what's interesting to me is that you want to talk about some people who embrace commutability in terms of what your language is going to do, like your prelude, like the idea. It's like no, no, no, no, sorry, let's start. It's not a pre compiler. You tell me what this language should be doing, right now, go ahead, Like it's it's kind of crazy how flexible Ascal is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have another thing in common with you, Randall, that I am a terrible Haskell programmer.
Speaker 2: Well, I highly recommend everybody shouldtruggle with some Askell though, because you want to talk about some magic and some just understanding of what raw computation looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's the foundation for everything that's important to the list our community, right. So even some of the things that we're doing with types, some of the things that we're doing that we've always done with strains, they're all kind of based on the irrity models. Some of the things that we want to get into with property based testing, some of the things that we do with, for example, the formatter. Jose did this this talk I think three or four years ago called John Hughes Driven Development, which was cool because at that time we had John Hughes at gig City Electure, and you know, it was just a whole lot of fun talking to him about how his inventions in the language, and he'd never cod it before at the time, are making such a such a hard impact on it. I mean, it was just beaming the whole time.
Speaker 4: So, while this is an Alixra podcast, what Haskell learning resources would you recommend?
Speaker 2: So? I like the Haskell book, like Haskell from first Principles. I think it's called it's the Purple Book. Whatever, that's out there. That's a really good one. There is another thing, gosh what it was called Things I wish I had known when I was learning Haskell. I can't remember who wrote it. I've got it. I'm sure I have a link to it because I have a running list of an ord file of just Haskell resources. But what it talks about is it you mean, Haskell is kind of like what Elixir could have been had there not been a good munity. And it's not a dang against the Haschalo community. It's just that the Hascal community, like, depending on how you get into it, it might kick you immediately out of it. Like there are plenty of posts where it's like, oh well, let's start with some category theory, right, which is it's just kind of like imagine if if you came into Erlang, or you came into the luxury ecosystem and somebody said, oh, yeah, that's really great, so let's talk about applicative functors and basic functional like do you know do you know what a calculus is? Do you know what a lamb of calculus is? No, Okay, we're going to start with some proofs, right. That's probably not why they came there. It might be what they need to know, but that's not necessarily what you want to hit them over the head with initially, but that one broke down like all this sort of history that you need to know to sort of get through, like why is their stack? Why is there cabal? Like what's the split between the two? Why are there two configurations? Like what's this next thing everybody's talking about? Like there's a lot of history there also some stuff what you need to worry about, what you don't need to worry about. We're going to remember that Stephen Dall maybe was the guy who wrote it. Maybe that I'll do a burrito blog. Yeah, yeah, that's it. Yeah, that's I think that's that's it. So those are kind of my two. The other one is like the look up the LSP, like figure out how to support Haskel inside wherever your favorite editor is emacs. I mean, but aside from that, you know, figure out some good language support for and then just start typing it. And also there's the gosh and I'd actually have to go actually like dig up my actual list of Pascal resources and tell you what it was. But those were the actually I started with A Haskell book is what I did because actually that's what Brooklyn told me to do, right, gotcha.
Speaker 4: So, after embarking on this Haskell journey, what your kind of learnings that you bring back to your Eleixtra code and how did your your style and way of approaching problems and elixtur change, if at all?
Speaker 2: Actually, so a couple of things. One, I stopped getting fancy, and I simplified a lot of things too. What it made me appreciate was how a looker is the same, but how it's different. I'm actually much happier doing recursive and recursion now, Like I'm much more likely to reach for a recursive style or a rehearsal style of a solution, and also a mentatic composition and state passing composition, Like there are a couple of patterns that I steal all the time now, like pass state along with that. Before I didn't realize that's exactly what you were doing in Eluxur. But now to me it's explicit as opposed to being implicit. Yeah. So mostly I think Haskell is the definition of just because you can doesn't mean you should. Right, you can by all means it won't stop you, but be careful. You might be just taking him at your big toe with a very very very large shotmun So. Yeah. So mostly, like I said, I think what it made me understand is which abstractions I'm using and be much more I guess, for I'm much more explicit about the abstractions that I'm choosing at each level now than whereas before I'm like, oh, yeah, we do this because that's what Alexa code is supposed to look like. Versus now I'm thinking, oh, this is what it's supposed to do. It's still a terrible Hascal programmer though, like terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a programming language of course in graduate school and we did a Hagh school lisp in prologue and that, and it's like, I'm never doing functional programming ever again. I don't see the utility at all. And like five years later I went all in on the Leikster. So I my foot in my mouth five years ago. But yeah, it was it was definitely interesting. I'm sure if I picked it up again today, I'd be just as terrible at Haskell as I was, you know, ten years ago.
Speaker 2: So to be full credit to the Haskell community, they're doing a much better job about being more welcoming. Oh also exorcism. Exorcism has a great Haskell like exercises that you can go look at and they actually have people who give you feedback on your Haskell and it's cool to see this other solutions from different styles, from people who are kind of new to Haskell, like your solutions, and people who have been working with Haskel for a little bit, and then some other person who's like, yes, I did this in exactly three characters, right, like there is you can see sort of see the expressiveness of the language. And that's actually I don't know, I'm kind of a language nerd, so I like, like we were early on diclosure at Thunderbolt Labs, we were early adopters of closure. We went to the first college, and I think closure had some similar problems with that. It's incredibly powerful, but in the hands of people who know how to use it, and there's not a lot of stuff to get you from here's a lisp to here's being really good with a lisp. Speaking of random weird language things, let over lambda. If you ever just want to see I know a lot of people don't write lisp, but if you ever just want to see a book to see where a lisp can take you. There is this book called let over Lambda. I think you can only get as like an epub or like a PDF download. Maybe there's a print version two. I think actually, as a functional programmer, it's just great to read what other people who hit the advanced end of a language can do, And specifically let over lambda is working on. He does a lot of macros and list style macros. One of the things I think that's underappreciated. I would like to learn more about it, and I never really use it is the macro facilities inside of a lukxir. Right, I'm always looking for something to really do with it. But macros are incredibly powerful, and a let over lambda was one of those things where I saw it and I'm just like, I got about fifty percent of what you're writing here, But man, that looks just ridiculously overpowered to be like, how do you manage to do this cool stuff?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Also, I had learned racket last year too, which was kind of cool, like looking at schemes, but that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm on my second take of Christmas Chord's book Metaprogramming and Elixir. I'll figure out one of these days and I'll build right macros correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a different level of reasoning.
Speaker 3: They're right string interpolation for code.
Speaker 4: So if you can go back in time and give yourself some advice as you embark on the selector journey, would what would some of those tidbits be aside from this isn't Ruby, don't treat it like this Ruby.
Speaker 2: That would be one of the first ones actually find people, Right, It's really weird. One of the things I think about. One of the things I think worked for Ruby and specifically where else they're different things, but I mean is that they had a community of people who are always willing to help. I think the community aspect of a language is really underrated. So find other people who are in a Elixir, who are kind of in that same boat, and collectively start learning with them. That would be one to learn Elixir before learning other things first. Right, Oh, I think somewhere on the Elixir I f a Q or someplace maybe on the Elixir lang website it says, don't ask how do I What was it said? Don't ask how do you do X? An elixir ask how would I solve why? In Alixir like the idea of don't just translate the idioms from whatever languages you already know into alexir, actually go back and learn from first principles what's going on. That's actually one of the things I really like about the Dave Thomas book is that it kind of abandons some of the oh look, look, here's hello world, Look here's a for loop. Like if you think about it, I don't know about you, but for the past twenty years whatever, like our programming books have pretty much been exactly the same, right because we all have some sort of c art style functional like programming background, so they'll pretty much look the same. They teach you the same construct so you're really trying to do if you're trying to figure out, like, oh, what's the equivalent of a four loop and go got it? Like, what's the equivalent of a if then else in c sharp got it right? So I would say, actually learned it from first principles. So strangely enough, you know, shameless plug. I did give a talk on how to learn Elixir at ALEXAKOMF and code Beam, And the other one is I think take time because you're building up new cognitive structures. I think people a lot of time do not realize how much work it takes to get your brain to start thinking functionally. Right, there is a lot there that you have to unlearn.
Speaker 3: Syntax, concurrency, distribution, macros. Yeah, so that's a lot, right, it's interesting. I'm going to give another shameless plug for Bruce. I generally speaking, I recommend that they read the Elixir book, and then, strangely, before they read the Phoenix book, I recommend that they read Designing p Systems and Elixir from Bruce's book because it teaches you the part of the problem is if you're functioning like no pun intended, a function sort of professional programmer, you normally have something you got to do for your day job. Like it's not most of us don't just have the luxury of learning a language for no applicative also up unintended reason, So you need to know how you build up an electric system and the functional core stuff. What does it do fun things with? What's the rest of the acronym, Well.
Speaker 1: There's.
Speaker 5: Work work we gotta yeah, yeah, yeah, do fun things.
Speaker 7: A big loud yeah, big workers that's right. Yeah, and a beer yes, Stephen, thank you? Because I I personally I think the Wilder Beast has a nice lowing sound.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah it does. But O'Riley had the cover.
Speaker 1: On the cover, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting is that really? What happened is like O'Reilly had like a Wilder Beast on something and they're like, no, you may not put the wild of Beasts.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So James had just come back from an Africa trip, right, and so he loved the Wilder Beast and and I mean, I've done all this marketing, but now I mean it makes sense. Right. Beehives layers, different cells ODP just really good time.
Speaker 2: It's true, and be a beehives are built in hexagons, right, so that you have hecks already built.
Speaker 3: In ooh oh, well done there.
Speaker 2: Well they just dropped the mike.
Speaker 3: We got to be done.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so I recommend that they read that book because it's important to understand how you build an layer of system together, because it's very different than a elixir. The functional core aspect is what most people miss. In fact, we just had a team try to learn an elixir that had been Rubius and jobs for people, and that's exactly what they missed. And it was the first thing they missed. They didn't have a functional core, and it made everything else almost impossible.
Speaker 3: It's funny. In San Francisco, Brooklyn came up to me, and I mean she's one of the people that I practically idolized. I mean the Witchcraft Library, the strong resonance with Haskell, with the things that she can make Macro's do. She's just smarter than Oliver be. But she came up to me and said, hey about your talk, and I'm saying, oh, crap, here it comes. It was basically an outline of a worker b books. She says, I agree with all of it. And by the way, here's where this paper says the same thing, except between this layer and this layer you have an interface. And so it was really it was like a high moment in my career. You know. It's kind of said, yeah, you get this, and I said, I didn't need to get it that way, but I'll take it right.
Speaker 2: So, actually, if I remember hardly, so he didn't she say that you didn't you had like a liberal arts background, right that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, liberal arts background, history degree and then ended up at the Flattery School, which was a software engineering boot camp, and that kind of the rest was history just fell in love with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so when you were thinking about learning things, didn't you wish somebody had told you?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I mean, that's one of the things that I loved about learning Ruvie is that it tells a story and you really have the emphasis on the problem that you're trying to solve and how to express it with code as opposed to needing to understand kind of some of the low level principles. I feel like that came later for me, and then I think the thing that really hooked me and kind of got me frankly obsessed with programming was and I really think this is a feature of something that the Flattering School really engenders and their teachers and offers to their students is just just an absolute love of what you're doing, just an excitement, a curiosity, like this total space of support. That's something that I very much felt from my teachers there and then learned, i think, in part, how to give to my students subsequently, because then I went on to teach there from Steven. I think Stephen just brings this like absolute joy to whatever he's doing, and he is as excited to show you something that he showed you know, a thousand people for five years as he is to show you something that he just figured out for the first time ever. And it's really infectious. And I think that, to me is really like the secret ingredient to learning a new language and learning a new skill.
Speaker 3: Joy that's actually a stone cold ninja as a teacher. I mean, so he started coming teaching to our childhood licture group, and you know, just kind of I just dropped them into our most advanced class and and disappeared on them really and and they came back right And now I'm saying, when you coming back, you don't have to come back. You really don't have to come back. Even has this it was really really cool. I paid them.
Speaker 2: I paid them all to say that you Musty's. That's a great thing to do. It's like, especially nowadays with gift cards, it's a really easy way to get a great review. But actually, that's really funny. I think it's interesting. One of the common threads I see about people is people. I think what brings us to different languages and different tools are the people. Which is a really weird thing to say. Protect people, right like, but a lot of why we choose the tools we have is if you get a good person who introduces you to the right sort of like to the joy of better tools and better approaches and better thinking, you have this great experience and that carries forward and they're I've you know, I've met my more than my fair share of like abused programmers, right Like, Hey, what happened? I got dumped into this project? Nobody told me what to do. There was no cic D, nobody told me about testing. Like, we don't have somebody to tell you how fun and how joyant and joyful programming can be. It can be a real be a real slug. So could useeeven if you can actually like convey that sort of excitement to people, that's super important for the next generation of programmers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think we're all very grateful to have benefited from that. Since we are coming to the end of our time. There's one last question that I really wanted to get to for Randall, since you are a bona fide bond vibon, I need like a Halloween themed cocktail that isn't like too much. I don't like things that are super sweet. I want to be easy because I'm not great at this. Do you have anything for me?
Speaker 2: Okay, off the topllowen autumnal. Yeah, so an autumnal cocktail. I would go with a spiced cider with a rye whiskey on the side, or a ryebourbon whiskey kicker. So an the things you can do is you can actually take apple cider, need the unfiltered type sider, not juice. So you take apple cider when you can actually reduce it in a pan, and it makes for a very strong apples almost like an apple syrup. Interesting, and you can infuse that with things like cinnamon, So you could put like cardamous cinnamon, any of the things in it in a pan, reduce it more by half or a little more, and you end up with an apple syrup. And so from there you can basically select your level of booziness, your level of appleness, and your level of cocktail. You make an effort vestment by either fixing it or top of champagne.
Speaker 1: I love that, I'm definitely doing.
Speaker 2: So it works in the situation. Yeah, yeah, champagne cocktails are underrated. Good cure, I agree.
Speaker 1: Also makes me feel like I'm in the nineteen twenties. I'm not really sure why I have the association.
Speaker 2: Maybe a slipper glass. Yeah, yeah, so that's because in what I like about that is with one prep you can make the base and then people can have either a non alcoholic if you have people who aren't drinking, or a completely boozy, wipe you out cocktail by just dumping a bunch of Rye whiskey and putting a splash of apple over the top of it.
Speaker 1: Also, I like a cocktail that you don't have to mix individually. Even if you have like just a couple of people around, it's still sort of a pain. So I love this. Thank you. I cannot wait to try this out. That's is perfect. So yeah great, And I think that'll bring us to our picks. We have a lot of great recommendations. We've been collecting some of the links and things that have been mentioned in this convo, but we will go around the room, so to speak, and if anyone has specific recommendation. Since Bruce had to drop off, I'll start with his. Graxio starts their Nerves course on November first. Definitely don't miss it out and check out grox dot Io Groxio, and I will pass it over to Alex.
Speaker 4: So my picksar two learning resources. They're both kind of open books. One is the beam book and there'll be a link in the show notes, and the other one is Earling and Anger. I've definitely used Earling and Anger several times when there's been a memory leak in production and you're like, whoa, this is a lickxir. Memory leaks are not possible. Well, they are possible, and there's a couple of scenarios into which they're possible. So that is a good reference to hit up. And you don't know why memory is spiking and Grafana is going off the charts, so definitely check those out.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Thanks Alex Steven.
Speaker 5: So mine is going to be for I have ultra wide monitors here, but I actually mean super ultra wide monitors. So first of all, this is a thing. You can get a monitor that's forty nine inches and super ultra wide. Yeah, you don't know you need this, but you need this in your life. You need to be surrounded by zoom like people on your left, people on your right. It really makes you feel like you're back in the office, but kind of surrounded in a weird way.
Speaker 2: So check that out.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that. I can't wait to squint even harder at the teeny tiny resolution of whatever is on your great chair. I don't have any picks this week, although I have a feeling I'll be recommending a cocktail as soon as I try it out. Randal. Like I said, I collected some of the links that you had mentioned, but if you have anything else you'd like to share, it currently doesn't have to be alexor or even programming related.
Speaker 2: So one is definitely seeing deals. The Haskell link what I wish I had known that was actually really good. I just like that as a comprehensive sort of resource. Another one is Kenning Labs has this thing called Finda. I don't know if you guys have ever used finda. It is literally a search everything. It's like it's one of the greatest things ever. It just pops up all these this this huge overlay that you can search all the things, and I do mean all the things as and you can like integrate it with your VIM, you can integrate with your emacs. I'm pretty sure it integrates with them. I know it works with vis code, but it'll search open tabs. So if you're liking me and you're one of those people who never close the tabs. You can search all your tabs, you can search all your links, and it's super fast, and it's a it's a great way to actually kind of be lazy about managing Windows until you should.
Speaker 1: Really dangerous for me because I absolutely have a million tabs and can never find anything, and I'm going to try.
Speaker 2: This, so check it out. Actually, like I said, I'm a huge fan of that, just because I started using it yesterday and I was just like, where have you been? So cool? Thank you, thank you guys, actually appreciate you. Guys. Give me a chance to just prat al on for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is great. We were thrilled to have you and hopefully we'll get the talk again too.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds great. Curious