Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to Latanga Hopes, the media relations specialist and Disaster Operations Division leader for FEMA.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Latanga.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for coming on today.
Speaker 1: We wanted to have you on because we know that FEMA is helping so many people in southern California whose homes were either lost or damaged by the fires, and there are some important deadlines approaching. So first of all, let's talk about who can apply for this assistance in case somebody might be listening and they didn't realize that they still qualify.
Speaker 3: Alrighty, let's start with homeowners. Those are people with and without insurance, renters, and even independent students. And I'd also like to add an asterisk if your home is still standing and it did not burn to the ground, if you live within La County and was mpacted by the fire, you too should also apply.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we have somebody who works here, Tuala. He works in the evenings with mo Kelly is. He home made it through the fires, but it's uninhabitable because there was so much damage from all the smoke.
Speaker 3: And what we're finding is that there's been some people that have self excluded themselves and interpreted our outreach to me that if your house burned down, that you should apply. Anybody that was impacted by this fire, under any circumstances should apply.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. Good to know, Latanga. And what kind of assistance does FEMA offer? Is it just money or is that other physical assistance as well?
Speaker 3: Now we have an array of types of assistance that we can help with. We provide a cash grant. This is money that does not need to be repeid. That's the first thing that you need to know, and neither do you need to report it to your taxes. Now, after we get past that part, you simply need to submit your application and explain your story. That's the thing that you want to do. Of course, we talk about repairing and rebuilding your home. We may help with transportation, storage, Believe it or not. Childcare may even be an issue, and if I understand, in the Altadena community, many of the child care facilities burned. So those are things that you may want to discuss. And there are other categories as well that may be useful. Consider this. We can help people that may be self employed. That's important if you are unable to return to work there's a disaster unemployment insurance assistance that could be made available to you as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so many options.
Speaker 1: So when you go and you apply for it, just make sure you tell them everything that's going on. We've talked so many times about how far reaching the devastation is that it affects. You know, right after the fires, people didn't know where to find a toothbrush, you know, but I mean every aspect of your life, and that's where FEMA can can come in and hopefully help you.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where do people apply? Latanga?
Speaker 3: Now? There are four options and the reason why this is important we have a deadline. So thank you for giving us this opportunity to share the information. You can apply simply by going using your phone and going to one eight hundred six two one three three six' two call that number and apply using that. Number you can also go online To Disaster assistance dot gov and go, there complete tr application. Online there's A fema. App and then, finally we have two different disaster recovery centers that are currently open and. Operating we call them one stop shops because not only can you be facilitated and receive resources from the federal, government state, government is there county and. City everybody has culminated together to make sure that any resource that you may need can be provided in this one. Place and don't forget we also have debris removal and this is at no, cost and that could be a tedious and just overcoming. Process the federal government is providing those resources at no cost to the. HOMEOWNERS i love.
Speaker 1: That, Okay and we're going to put this information on our wake Up call page on the website. Too so if you missed With lotanga the numbers and that kind of, stuff you can go and check out on the Wake Up call. Page. Okay so go over some of the deadlines, again because there's a couple of them coming. Up we want to make sure people don't miss them.
Speaker 3: Already, Again let's start with A fema. One that one is going to be On march, tenth and that's going to be at eleven fifty nine. Pm you've got up until that, time so consider using any of those resources that we talked about along with. That The Disaster unemployment assistance will also end on that. Date The Small Business, administration that's a team where most people think that when they come in that they can only sist assists with, businesses but The Small Business Administration team can help homeowners as. Well they have really low cost interest, rates very, competitive and they have an extenuated repayment plan that can go out to at least thirty. Years now those are the deadlines that will end On march. Tenth please learn more about these programs and. Apply, okay the only thing it's going to cost you a.
Speaker 1: TIME a little bit of time is going to help out a lot because as we, know a lot of people still need a lot of. Help So Disaster assistance dot gov or THE fema app and again we'll put this up on the Wake Up call.
Speaker 2: Page but go get the, information make sure you.
Speaker 1: Apply and if maybe you know somebody who might, think OH i don't know IF i qualify for, assistance give them a little nudge because they're here to.
Speaker 2: Help latanga hopes you.
Speaker 1: Think thank you so much for your time and the information so important that we're getting that out because so many people were, affected we appreciated a.
Speaker 3: Ton thank you very much for giving us this. Opportunity how can we game all?
Speaker 2: Right thank? You letanga