Speaker 1: We count down to the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
Speaker 2: Join us for insights time the conversation KRC.
Speaker 1: Seven oh six here fifty five Kerr see the talk station, and a very happy Friday to you. Obviously, a huge election coming up in November. Top all the way down to the bottom. All the races are extremely important, most notably here in Hamilton County, Ohio, where we have a decision to make on who we're going to vote for for Hamilton County Sheriff. I think the man who was previously in the job is the man for the job. Jim Neil, welcome back to that. Do you have KRCY Morning Show, my friend, It's always great having you on the program.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's been a while. It's good to be with you this morning, that's for sure. And I've been blessed to run into Joe Recker on two occasions in the past couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Hanging out, hanging over price heal, chili worry or something like that. Hey, Jim, I'm gonna put you on the spot right out of the gate. Here we're doing listener lunch at Jim and Jackson the River on the seventh of August, first Wednesday, of August. You have an invitation to join us for lunch. I know you've been to listener lunches quite a few times over the years, and just an opportunity to meet some of your maybe voters and hang out with us if you are free. I'm I'm not pressuring you, but I want to remind you about listener lunch in case you want to make it.
Speaker 2: Do a fly by.
Speaker 3: Amen, Yes, I am free on the seventh excellent.
Speaker 1: Well, you're welcome to join us at lunch. I hope to see you that and mis smith Aman is going to be there. He's a big fan of hers. Jim Neil. Oh and by the way, it's vote Jim Neil a E I l vote Jimneil dot com. That's his campaign web page. Let's just talk about your motivations for wanting to take back over the role, Jim. Do you have inside baseball about how things are going currently under the hern administration. Because I don't read, I read very little. I don't see a whole lot of reporting. Of course, local reporting doesn't usually get involved in morale issue staffing issues. So what's going on inside that you're aware of that serves as at least a motivation for you to run again.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely. First of all, let me clarify that we should be spending this opportunity celebrating the re election of Bruce Hofbauer. But that didn't happen. So I had to ask myself, what are you going to do about it, jim So I decided to run because you're absolutely right about the morale. It's morale's bad right now. Staffing levels are extremely been impacted negatively. They're extremely understaffed right now, to the extent that you know, floors had to be shut down at the County jail. And and when you're shutting down an operational like that, that's especially like at the county jail, that's hundreds of beds that are not available for societies worse, and does that make our community safer? Absolutely not. When you don't have a cell available for the offender.
Speaker 2: Well, there is a need for the cells.
Speaker 1: I mean there was at one point, Jimmy, you and I have talked about this over the in past years, that there was no room at the end, you know, in other words, they were packed in there more than it was a design and built for. And of course we always have the staffing issues the number of inmates far exceeding the number that's safe for the deputies who are guarding them. But you're saying they're closing down these beds. Does that mean there's no demand for the space? Is this a consequence of woke judges letting people out that shouldn't be let out. I guess I'm wondering, if you have a full contingent of deputies and you had the money and resources, would the place be full and would all the beds be open?
Speaker 3: That's a good that's a good question, because we have no control over you know, the decisions the judges make, but we do have control every police officer at effects and arrest, that offender is booked into the county jail and held there until they faced the judge the next day for arraignment. But when you don't have staffing levels to provide security the when I left the office, Brian, the office was right sized when it came to personnel. We were fully staffed. In the county jail, we were right size, and court services, and we were covering our beats on patrol. But since I left office, the number of deputies are fewer today than there were back then.
Speaker 1: Is that because of attrition inability to get people to you know, pursue a career in law enforcement with the Hamlin County Sheriff's Department, is it lack of funding, a combination all above what's driving Then.
Speaker 3: It's not funding because she's adequately funded. There's a budget that's you know, set for the deputies. It's when the deputies are eligible to retire. They're retiring. A number of them have left for other jobs with other agencies, and it's tougher today. You're correct on recruiting, but it's it's about leadership, Ryan. The deputies don't want to they don't want to work for an agenda. They want to work for a law enforcement agency. And the current sheriff is promoting her party's agenda in policy and it doesn't mix with.
Speaker 2: Law enforcement DEI.
Speaker 3: Not just THEEI, just policies in general. You can see the agenda of the party written into these policies.
Speaker 2: We'll give us an illustration of that. So or not operating.
Speaker 3: Sheriff mcguffey's every sheriff in the state of Ohio not working with Immigrations and Customs enforcement also known as silent, And that's just an example of one policy. When you drive by these county buildings, you're used to seeing what on the top of the building an American flag, correct, the state flag, maybe a POW flag. Now you're seeing a Pride flag. I mean, you see what I'm going with. The agenda of the party is working its way into the policy of the sheriff's office. This is a political sheriff, not a sheriff that is prioritizing law enforcement and prioritizing oppolding our constitution and serving the people. She's doing a very good job of serving the party, but she's not serving the people to the extent that she should be.
Speaker 2: Well, this sounds like the for.
Speaker 3: The these deputies, it really is. And morales down. They're leaving at record levels. It's hard to recruit period in law enforcement the way we've been demonized over the years. But she is adequately funded. There is funds available for staffing levels, but the staffing levels are really down, sir.
Speaker 1: Well, and I can understand that you don't want to walk into a highly politicized environment when those politics don't well serve your own personal interest outside of work. But it shouldn't be a politically motivated job. I mean, we're talking law enforcement here. You know, this sounds like exactly what's going on in America's military, Jim. You know, they can't get people to join America's voluntary military because well, word's gotten out that basically it becomes this indoctrination session. It's not about killing people and breaking things and maintaining a cohesive military fighting for us. It's about dividing everybody and put them in separate racial and sexual baskets to meet some sort of you know, across the board numbers game.
Speaker 2: Amen.
Speaker 1: So what is Sheriff Jim Neil to turn this around? I mean, obviously you depoliticize the policies, but you've got to get you got to spread the word about that that it's a different operation, that it's a you know, a welcome environment for people who care about law enforcement in their community. That that's a tough job at this state we find ourselves in, Jim.
Speaker 3: It is, and that's going to be the challenge initially is is hiring, hiring, hiring, recruiting and hiring to get the agency right size so that we are available to provide that quality law enforcement service. But I believe leadership will help. I've there's been a number of deputies that have left that already approached me. If you're elected in the office sheriff, can we come back. So I'm hoping that. I'm hoping that initially there's going to be a wave coming in the front door coming back door. And that's exciting and it starts with leadership, Ryan and you know, and leadership that's focused. Look, as sheriff, I am an elected executive. The duty of the executive, whether you're sheriff, whether you're governor whether you're the president, is to enforce the laws. It's that simple. I'm not going to be legislating. I'm not going to be interpreting the laws. I'm going to be enforcing the laws. And and as you can see, there's been a failure of that all the way up. Uh. You know, even President Biden, he's not enforcing the laws on the USC and uh, that's his job and that'll be my job as sheriff to enforce the laws and uphold the Constitution. I'm going to be focused on that. Public safety is so important part of the agenda. If you recall from the from Donald Trump and JD. Vance is one of the one of their goals is to make America safe again. Well, that's my focus as sheriff, to make Hamilton County safe again. And and you know how that works, Brian. You know the collaborations I was involved to make that happen.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, just let's pause.
Speaker 1: I'll bring you back because these are import and thoughts we're going to get into you. I also want to ask you about the status of Hamilton County relative to crime. But yeah, you are big into collaboration and working with other agencies, which is kind of a unique thing in law enforcement.
Speaker 2: You did such a great job of it.
Speaker 1: Hold on in a minute again, it's vote Jimneil dot com will bring Jim back here right after a word or two for twenty two three on Route forty two between Mason eleven. And of course, Jim supports the Second Amendment. Don't worry about Jim coming after your guns. He believes in the Second Amendment. And so to the folks at twenty two three on Route forty two between Mason and Lebanon. That's why they are a gun store and an indoor firing range. Safest, cleanest indoor range you're ever going to shoot on the wonderful owners of twenty two three have an amazing selection of firearms, handguns, long guns, accessories, ammunition. There's classes that are available there where you can learn how to If you don't know how to use and use a gun, you can be well welcome to the world of firearm ownership. They'll teach you all the basics and get you out on the range and teach you how to safely and effectively use that weapon.
Speaker 2: If you're a great shooter, learn more.
Speaker 1: They have experience shooter classes as well, and also concealed carry classes, which is important if you're planning on traveling with your firearms.
Speaker 2: See your state laws on that one.
Speaker 1: CCW classes are a good thing to do, and they of course offer them at twenty two three on Route forty two between Mason eleven and learn more about the store and the wonderful folks at twenty two three. Go to twenty two three dot com the number twenty two followed by the word three spelled out twenty two three dot com.
Speaker 2: Fifty five krc iHeartRadio Olympics Update.
Speaker 1: Community high of eighty five overnight clear and sixty two tomorrow warmer eighty eight For the high, it will be sunny clear of nine sixty six any mostly sunny Sunday going up in ninety one a couple with a chance of storms.
Speaker 2: It's sixty five now time for traffic from.
Speaker 4: The uce how Traffic Center. The future of care is happening now through clinical trials and innovative treatments that give patients a chance from better outcomes. Visit ucehealth dot com. Highway traffic that's not pray at all to deal with for your Friday morning. Give you no major time delays to deal with northbound fourth seventy one included coming across the bridge. State avenues blocked up at Wildern that is due to a truck that hitting utility. POLP chat ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seventy one could about KRSCD talk station Brian Thomas Swift Sheriff Jim Neil. I hope he sheriff again. Jim Neil. You can check him out on a line to vote Jim Neil dot com. We put your website link on my blog page, Jim, so folks can easily find it if they can. Just remember fifty five KRC dot com and I was startling. Encourage them to help you get elected in November and Jim, you're getting you were segueing into, you know, working collaboratively with various law enforcement and back in when you were previously sheriff, you were on the fifty five KRSE morning show regularly and you always talked about how important that was and what greater illustration than what we saw with the attempted assassination of Donald Trump. You see how many different law enforcement agencies have to work together to get you know, as a well low machine for one event. I mean, with a dangerous landscape we find ourselves in. You got FBI Director Ray talking about terrorist activity likely h and he's worried about it. I mean, this is the kind of thing that's really really important. Has that element of law enforcement within the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office been lost under the current administration?
Speaker 3: Jim, yes, it has. The motto of the Hamilton County Police Association is cooperation and operation, And our federal partners even tell us that about law enforcement Hamilton County. They're really impressed on.
Speaker 2: How while we work together.
Speaker 3: So it's equally important for the sheriff to work with all of law enforcement, to share resources including excuse me, human resources, and to participate in the task force to create task force to deal with the trends. It's a force multiplier, Brian, when you do that, because no one agency will bear the burden of financing that task force. If I have two deputies in a task force, my budget's covering those two deputies. But they're working with other law enforcement solving some of of of the worst that's going on in our county today. Because as you remember, we started the Heroin Task Force in Hamilton County and and the also one of my first task force that I formed was to deal with the homeless population living on the county campus. And then I had task force with the State of Ohio, the Human Trafficking Task Force. I had task force with the US March Marshals, the Fugitive Task Force. I had a task force with uh you know, involved in a task force, a collaboration with the FBI with terrorism and also with computer crimes. We were out there looking for them predators that are the victimizing our youth and other computer related crime. Brian, and I had taskforce with Homeland Security, and the list goes on and on and on. I had taskforce with the private sector. I had I had a collaboration with Hope Dudley circulating playing cards in the county jail. Each card had a face of a of a murdered UH A victim in Greater Cincinnati in that crime. That homicide has not been solved.
Speaker 2: Yet the program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and with that collaboration, I was informed by our detectives that while I was still share, five of them cold cases were solved. And you know, that's why it's important to form UH that you know, to embrace this cooperation and operation and to collaborate with public and private sector. And it's just a win win and it's a force multiplier, especially now when there's fewer of us in law enforcement. We need to work together to combat the criminal element.
Speaker 1: And speaking of the criminal element, before we part company today, Jim Neil, what is the status of crime in Hamilton County? I get the impression it's not good, but again, not a whole lot of local reporting to give us a broader picture of how things currently stand. Your take on this current situation, Jim.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is. It is not good, and the population of the county is you're going to see an increase because Cincinnati is a sanctuary city and what that means to the foreign nationals is Cincinnati is a place that opens their arm to receive them. And the current sheriff has expanded the sanctuary city and has made the county a sanctuary county now, so the entire region has been affected by this sanctuary status and the foreign nationals are being protected. And instead of dealt with accordingly, I will tell you that as Sheriff, any foreign national that is arrested for violating our crimes, they will be reported to Immigration and Customs Enforcement also known as ICE, so they can begin their investigation. And when these offenders are released from our county jail by way of making bond or if they serve their sentence, ICE will be notified of the release and we will hold them up for an additional forty eight hours for ICE to respond to interview these individuals and also or take custom city of them and prep them for deportation. And and and there's a uh and that's not happening today. When they make bond there being released, are they sticking around for court? No, they're not Brian because they're very organized criminals. They're here victimizing you and your neighbors. They're well equipped and they're well funded and they're well represented legally. We have we did enough problems with our own homegrown criminals. We don't need other countries criminals. So as sheriff, I'm going to be working with it UH, with the President and UH the Vice President on their mission of making America safe safer again, and I will be working with immigration and custom Enforcement to get the the evil deported out of here.
Speaker 2: Jim Neil, find them online.
Speaker 1: Vote Jimneil dot com that you got yourself some votes right there, Jim. They talk about upholding the law. Jim, I wish you all the best. You have a form here on the fifty five KRC Morning Show and access to my listeners anytime you want.
Speaker 2: It's always great here in your message.
Speaker 1: And I'll keep my fingers crossed for the residents of Hamilton County that they choose you over all. We've got currently got when they vote in November, Jim, until we talk against stay well, have a wonderful weekend, and best to health you and your loved ones.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and God bless you and your listeners.
Speaker 1: Thank you, sir. I truly appreciate it. Seven twenty nine Right now, I fifty five Krcity Talk Station Fasten pro Roofing. Fast and Fastenproroofing dot com is where you find them online. They are wonderful people and wonderful roofers, true craftsmen. Of the work that they'll do for you, and that work, whether it needs to be done or not, of course, is determined at a free roof inspection. And if you get a quote from the folks at fast and bro that means you really truly do need work. They won't give you a quote because they will never sell you something you don't need. And there's a lot of roofing companies out there that go down that road, evil people absolutely, but you get that in all businesses. It's just roofing businesses tend to just draw a lot of them because most people aren't up on their roof and don't know what they're looking for. Never have to worry about with Fasten Pro Roofing A plus with a better business bureau and man, I'll tell you check out the work that they do, gorgeous work, residential and commercial. Any kind of roof you want, if you need a new roof, if your shingle roof is out and you're going to replace with shingle Remember at Fast and Pro they upgrade you automatically to the certainty landmark Pro fifty year shingle. They'll give you a peace of mind and it's a free upgrade. So confidently call Fast and Pro Roofing. They'll be great, They'll treat you wonderfully. The price will be right five one, three, seven, seven four ninety four, ninety five, seven seven four, ninety four ninety five Fastenproroofing dot com fifty five KRC. August Way Forth is Butler County Veterans Appreciation Day and Hammilpalooza.
Speaker 4: The first one hundred and fifty veterans to show their Butler