Speaker 1: This is a great content.
Speaker 2: Where is it going?
Speaker 1: We are recording? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are we right? Sorry? Okay, that's your list.
Speaker 1: That was Claire. The kids are in the garden again, Claire, Claire, where's my stick? Does anyone know somebody called Louis Louis Lure, Louise Pollard.
Speaker 2: I do I know Louise.
Speaker 1: So Louise has supported us twice now on Kofi, which is the thing on our website where you click a button and you can give us a little bit of money. So she's bought us basically to two pints.
Speaker 2: Ah what. She's a good egg. She is a racing photographer from up in Yorkshire and she was, amongst other things, and I think she actually won the horse Race Writers and Photographers Awards thing back at about War twelve thirteen years years ago. She won Photographer of the Year. So she's very very good. Yeah, I mean proper, proper photographer. She did a particular particularly good photo of Frank Call winning at York and no, Frank Call the greatest race horse that ever drew breath. And anyway, she was good friends with my now sadly late father in law who was a racing journalist. And she's a good Egges, so very much of a big thanks to Lou.
Speaker 3: I googled her and it is I agree, very good. Yes, particularly the studio style horses with dramatic backlighting, all all low key lighting. It's always amazing. Love it.
Speaker 1: Have you done that game that all photographers do when they look up another photographer they've not heard of, and they go, oh, yeah, they're quite good. Actually they're really good.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't really. I don't really get that because everyone does a different like I do my thing, and now I'm so far, so long in the tooth with this. I'm just you know, I'm doing my thing. That's exactly my thing. I mean, if you come from my thing, I'll kill you. But no one else it's doing my thing.
Speaker 2: So it's all right, How would someone tread on your lawn? Then if they were coming on, what would they do? What would be a thing? Say? You're clearly plagiarizing me. A baby can't do?
Speaker 3: Is just seconds away from saying, putting ship in front of the lens. And also the other secret I'll reveal all you just put stuff in front of the lens. You shoot very specifically with certain focal lengths on certain stories, you shoot with specific focal length with lenses how zoomed in you are. If you're shooting man and man and gun and in the sky, shoot it very wide so it looks very dramatic. That's what I do, Okay, if I'm telling a story of a morning or an evening flight of wild fowling, I will change the blue colors in the images to be very a very kind of cyan blue color rather than to be like a sort of purply blue color or light blue. I'll make sure that blue is very exaggerated in order to tell a story so the viewer knows that it's morning, noon, night, and then lower the lower the saturation of that stuff.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you also crop off center for every subject apart from dogs, and dogs are always center for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, So I do that very intentionally for editorial for the simple fact that they can put cover lines or it could potentially make a cover. So I make sure that the framing is never in the all because the middle is middle. Doesn't then leave them space to put because you've.
Speaker 1: Got to have the barcode and that you know coming up in this issue and for some reason, this magazine is seventeen pounds twenty five down on the side somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can get a subscription off and a Hicck micro beanie and that will be one pound sixty delivered to your door for two and a half years.
Speaker 2: But then you can never leave because you can never find out how on earth do I cancel this subscription? And you actually have to ring a phone which is made out of baker light, and there's some old lady on there who makes the tea and gets hello, and you go, I'd like to cancer my subscription to X magazine and go, oh, you want to do what, dear, And you go what? And they've got every single modern technological thing other than that, I want to cancer my subscription phone, which looks like something out Churchill's Bunker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that, stuck in a storeroom with a note next to it saying, aware of the leopard.
Speaker 3: I think you should all support magazines because it's a great source of knowledge.
Speaker 2: Unless I don't write for them anymore. And once I started writing for them, the no one points subscribington. Really, I mean, this's be perfectly honest.
Speaker 1: Or if you're just pour like I am, well, yeah.
Speaker 2: There is that. Yes, I know how you feel. Rachel Reeves.
Speaker 1: So what have you done today today this week since we last met mister nigas me.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been actually doing some quite interesting things because I've done a bit of shooting, because obviously this time of year. Beat his day was superb fun and my son Charlie had his head a day was stood with a gun and he did very well and was safe and he actually managed to kill the things that he shot at cleanly, so that was great. I had a superb little walked up day and some very wild country up in North Norfolk with a few pals and that was all quite exciting. And then the day job's been relatively the day job so finished laying a hedge and then we've now started planting a huge amount of hedges, which is been one of those things where suddenly realize that I don't use the same muscles for planting a hedge as I did for laying a hedge. So I've got a slightly sore buttocks at the moment because needed to kick in my little spade and wiggle it the regulation four times create a planting pocket. Shove that in, you know, and you think you plant what plocket?
Speaker 1: Did you just say?
Speaker 2: Pluck it. Yeah, a pocket pocket.
Speaker 1: There's not some weird technical term I've not come across yet.
Speaker 2: Now, a planting pocket. So you make a planting pocket, which I used a Dutch planting spade. So they've got very long handle, quite a relatively narrow stainless steel, slightly curved blade to it, and it goes through our clay and it doesn't pick up the clay, and you sock that in, kick it in with your heel, four wiggles of the handle, bend down, put in the sapling, three stamps with your feet, and onto the next. Because you're planting five plants to the meter and staggered rows, and we try and do about five hundred plants a day, ah steaked and cane guarded as well. And yeah, you feel it, but I'm in two weeks time, I'll probably be able to do about seven hundred because my buttocks will have reminded me what I'm going to do.
Speaker 1: Tree planting is a weird one. It's such a workout, but it's also it's more of a mental game after a certain point because it's so tedious. Yeah, and yes, but you do just have to look back along the line and see what you did. I've got a gig once doing tree planting on a slope that was so steep we had to be roped up, which is why I was doing it. Was sort of doing rope access doing tree planting. At the same time I was swinging around with a bag of trees between my legs, which was that we've got about two hundred done per day. But that was one of these ecological mitigation things where they have to plant some trees because they've ripped a load out to put a power line in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, for goodness sake, Yes, mitigation.
Speaker 3: Like we were talking about the other week, there's a big line of trees all planted down by the yard and they're all dying. And I don't think anyone actually cares that they're all dying. They've put them in, got the grant funding.
Speaker 1: A lot of the that's once they're planted in the ground, that the invoices are done for a lot of projects. That's as much as they care about.
Speaker 2: Well, as Harry was saying when he came on, you know, he's saying that apparently that's now being turned over. But I had to go and write mission statements and and risk assessments and all sorts of stuff for a job with a very very very large landowner in the UK to go and do tree and hedge planting with them. And one of the things that I absolutely emphasized was the fact that we want to go and do proper stuff. I wanted to see this thing that I've made my buttocks saw in planting actually become a hedge and or a tree. So yeah, I don't really want to go and mess around with that anyway. Listen enough about hedges. Make sure you've never thought so you'd hear me say, Richard, what have you been doing this week?
Speaker 1: I'm not entirely sure what day it is, because I've been so flat out doing a million different things. Somebody described me the other day as a rural del boy because I don't seem to have a sort of a defined job, but I just keep wheeling and dealing and getting from one thing to the next. I just even today, I've had one of those days where I've got ten minutes to do this thing, and then I've got to go straight out and do this thing. Well, we shall only take an hour, and now it's taken me two hours, and now I'm back late, and now I've got to go and do this, and I've got to meet this other person. And that's been a great conversation that's led to five other things, but I still haven't done the other thing. And it's just like this time of year where everyone's suddenly getting back into the swing of things after Christmas and there's loads of stuff happening. But also now I'm thinking I've got no bloody time to do anything. So one of my highlights of today was going over to see my mate Hugh over at Petrovellin Farm on the other side of the valley. Now, Hugh is our main source of milk, cheese, and beef, all from the same animal a lot of the time.
Speaker 3: I think we've heard about Hugh before, haven't we. You've seen the raw milk guy.
Speaker 1: This is going to ruin his advertising segment because he's just started doing his own yogurt as well now and making his own yogurt. So you go to this little fridge in an old horse box, an old Felwell style single horse pony horsebox in the yard, and go in there and then the fridge there. He's got this milk and he's got his yogurt. And now he's doing pots of whey as well. So in fact, I've recorded a little segment from him now which we'll play in the actual episode that says why he's doing the yogurt.
Speaker 4: So for the first time in about three years, I've actually got a bit of milk left over that I'm not selling. So I've experimented with making yogurt because I can do it without spying extra equipment and trying to get more people to come and buy directly from the farm. Really, so the more products we can have in the fridge, the better, really.
Speaker 1: And that's what it said. So that's what I've been doing, running around doing lots of different things. I've become a director of this community interest company, which is all about connecting people to the land and training opportunities and basically doing things that are good for people and good for conservation and good for the land, using traditional management techniques and doing things properly. So I'll be talking about that in future episodes, but mainly that's what I'm doing this week. So how about you callum?
Speaker 3: That sounds like very busy work, not.
Speaker 1: Much income, but lots are busy, yeah.
Speaker 3: But very fulfilling is that not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But invoices are really fulfilling too. Oh. I wrote an article that's just come out in the British Deer Society magazine about good social media practices, and a load of people message me saying how good that is.
Speaker 3: Can you give me just a little tiny taster of what good social media practice for deer stalkers looks like and what bad looks like?
Speaker 1: It was, Consider the wider audience, not just your mates that you're following, and consider that you are. Remember when you were at school and that it was. Remember you're an ambassador for the entire school when they sent you off on the field trip around somewhere, which is, don't set far to wheelibins and don't knock over old ladies. Effectively, bad example for me, but carry on for that. You're doing the same sort of thing for deer management. If all you do is post voters are rights, photos of deer being butchered and try and sort of emulate what you see in the there's the discover search section on Instagram which shows you the top performing deer hunting posts in America or something like that, which are all gripp and grins, guns and carcasses. If you instead post things about the reasons that deer need to be controlled. Well, how you're doing it, how you're choosing those animals and link it to food and conservation. You're going to do more to help the image of British deer management than just posting stuff for your own little circle of social media engagement, because if Americans like your stuff on Instagram, it doesn't help British deer management. You need to get the public and farmers and people like that on side.
Speaker 2: That is a very very good point, and I think preaching to the choir is one of the biggest issues that a lot of the shooter is to type. People who dominate social media have got to really stop doing because, let's be perfectly frank, most of the stuff that we see from the influences on arm of who are shooting people, it's bloody terrible because all they're doing is it's a bit like the sort of that they're they're bragging their preaching to the choir. Look at me, I've done this shot this. Look at the size that it is. Crap, he really is anyway, Anyway, I'm afraid it's something that it annoys me because I'm the only person who uses social media in the country side properly and no one else does. That's it. It's just you, only you, just me only, it's it. Yes, that's it.
Speaker 1: How about callum, Callum, what have you done with your week? How have you influenced the countryside for the better?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to go in reverse or because I've got some got some good fun fun. I've been busy, but a busy boy. I'm very tired today, which is not great.
Speaker 1: You look tired, You look like you need a kip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been up very early. I was working today in Milton Keynes. Yeah, And that is the response that you get. But the fun thing about Milton Keynes is it has all the same like design cues about about it as the town where I grew up, of Harlow. It's like a version two of Harlow New Town. So it's it's quite nice in a kind of oh my god, this is Milton Keynes, but also looking at from the outside, it's quite a nice place they've managed to put. They managed to make like if you look at London, London is chaos. It's unapologetically chaotic and there's tiny little pockets of wildlife and stuff. But Milton Kings have managed to make they made it like a grid system, and they've managed to make little pockets of like rural areas and green spaces in what is essentially like an offshoot of London. And it's it's quite nice driving around there and it feels a bit like a bit like Harlowe. Harlow was the first towns, the new town after the war there was, Stevenage was first. Sir Frederick Gibbard designed all these little tiny villages to be all centered around one main town center.
Speaker 1: Is actually good content.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I like this sort of stuff and nearly very close only because I think they were going to give it to me for free because they needed them. I nearly became a landscape architect after leaving after leaving college, so that was what I considered doing, and I was like, do I do I belong in education? Not really a maverick, So it didn't happen. But yeah, it's quite quite interesting. And Stevenage is pretty interesting as well. Not necessarily in a good way, but it is an interesting place. How they managed to put green spaces in amongst and they make they make it like an actual village. So they've got small villages all centered around a main town center. It's quite a nice way to build a sense of community but also scale it up to like ridiculous levels.
Speaker 2: Callum took me on a tour of Harlow because I was slightly dismissive because obviously I live in a house that was built in sixteen fifty five, and you know that where I live everything is old and wood framed and wattle and daub and stuff like that. And it's quite interesting is that if you go to someone like in Suffolk, like Lavanon or long Melford where they are that this was how they built this new village when there was some prosperity around during the wall Town's era in Suffolk, and it's been stuck in aspect because then Suffolk became poor for such a long while and no one could knock these places down. He showed me, and I thought, actually you could see when he was you look through. Yes, the design, the architecture is changed and whatnot. But I got that idea that there was a an element of that they were trying to recreate a village feel in an architect's mind, rather than possibly the organic growth of one usually sees in villages. And I did genuinely find it interesting. And if you go to somewhere like Welling Garden City or Lechureth, the garden cities that they tried to do after the First World War, you can see.
Speaker 3: That they're all came through both of those Today, actually it came through Winning Garden City, and.
Speaker 2: That you live in a place that was trying to do this is the Brave New World after the Second World War. Those places tried to this is the brave New World after the First World War. So one wonders what their bloody hell it will look like after the brave New World after COVID.
Speaker 3: So each of those little places, the design was that they would all have like a pub, butchers, bakers and candlestick makers right in them, in their own little center. And if you needed big stuff, you'd have a big town center to go to. So it would be that you could shop for everything locally. It's an interesting concept and one that I think that these the big cities don't really.
Speaker 2: Flat roof murder pubs in each village.
Speaker 1: I like that idea dog on the roof sometimes.
Speaker 3: And interestingly, all of the pubs in Harlow are named after butterflies or moths.
Speaker 2: Are they really that's trivia questions quiz that one.
Speaker 3: The Purple Emperor drink them off, all sorts, each one more stabby than the last.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to go into the death's head hawk moth.
Speaker 3: No, the hummingbird. I thought the hummingbird that's not named after him off, and then I was like.
Speaker 2: Yes, hummingbird. Yeah, they're funny little things they've got they do look like hummingbird and they've got this little proboscis and sticks out and you think you can't be a moth. It's like you're watching the transition from moth to bird. Fascinating things.
Speaker 1: And when you compare all that, not the moth bit, but the town's bit to someone like Telford, which was another new town which where they they've mostly gone it wrong. Mostly they aim for village and missed and just hit ghetto.
Speaker 2: There was a place outside outside Glasgow where they did that, and it was some brutalists, sort.
Speaker 1: Of the Tower Market.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't remember the place is name, but it is absolutely scary. Mind you. I was in Hyde Park, Barracks. I was stationed there for a bit when I was in the House or Caverage, and that was designed by some basil Spence and he was a concrete brutalist architecture officionado and it was the most god forsaken dump you'll ever think. You think, Oh, yes, where did you live when you were in London? I had a chat the other day who makes films about cookery, and he said, if you ever lived in London? And I said yeah, I said briefly, was in the Army said whereabouts? I went Ninth Bridge and he went, oh, my lord, that's rather posh.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's not real London.
Speaker 2: No quite, And I said yeah. I said, but it was at Hypark Barracks and he went, oh, that's really grand.
Speaker 1: And it's not.
Speaker 2: It's just riddled with concrete cancer. The as a cavalry barracks. It gave horses diseases because they got COPD because there was no air ventilation. All the blokes sort of got hideous colds and flus all the time because everything sweated, bizarrely, because it was just concrete. When I left Knightsbridge to go off to Sandhurst and other parts, I'd never felt so delighted to leave anywhere in my life.
Speaker 1: Is that the one where the horses are on the first floor. If you look at it, ye or terraces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got two story stables. I mean, it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Freaked out Taurus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the Blues and Rules are up above us and the horses suddenly look over and there's someone sort of trying to find and straight opposite Knightsbridge One, which is one of the most expensive apartment blocks in the UK. And yeah, so it must be quite weird that you look out from this thing. You've just paid fourteen million pounds for a sort of fourth story apartment block and you look over and firstly you see a horse of the Blues and Rolls looking back at you, and then some bare chested blow covered in tattoos who's grooming it, who then realizes being looked at flashes is not but them. Yeah, great, well done. That was forteen million pounds well spent on.
Speaker 1: Right, never mind anything else. What's this bit of gossip that you teased for us.
Speaker 3: I've got a couple of points before the gossip. Okay, fine, did a bit shooting, went for a walk around with with I didn't do any shooting.
Speaker 1: I was just saying, will you hold handling a firearm during this outing?
Speaker 3: New camera camera only but technically that is still shooting.
Speaker 2: But he shot my gun once my big things a balla just because so we could have a go with it. Boom, and we put some big cartridges in.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I think for your business partner, Gordy was the first person to let me wield a firearm in the form of that strange fully silenced Russian looking.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly shooting rooks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, push power thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, a not much older thing than the hush power is a bi cow silenced for ten.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, yeah, mod that's bigger than the gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, us hideous, but pretty cool as well at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when it's wielded by him.
Speaker 3: Like when you play a game and you find a loot box and you're not really sure what the what the weapon is. That was kind of like how that is sixty now ninety the audience with that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, loot box, I say game, Well, I say chess? Is this some of the chess? I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're like game on the line, Games.
Speaker 2: On the line games.
Speaker 3: Okay, speak to Charlie. Charlie will tell you what is that?
Speaker 2: Like an atari? I had one of those when I was younger, didn't know how it worked is.
Speaker 1: That when you listen to games Master at the end and record it and put it on a cassette so you can play the game correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's brilliant, brilliant. I mean it didn't ever work, of course, because it then got about it's halfway through a c nineties thing and then it went playback error and you'd lost three hours of your life, which is what I thought. Computer games are really stupid.
Speaker 3: The final piece was I did a black powder day with Ed Coles, which unfortunately there was no flint locks there because flint locks have a tendency what was the technical word not hydroponic, hydro something. Basically the gunpowder just takes on water hygroscopic, hydroscopic, that's the one. Yeah, that gunpowder takes on water and isn't very good for that sort of thing. So they were percussion caps, is that right? I think?
Speaker 2: Yes, they have some various different They have these tube caps and they have nipple caps, and yeah, I had to write I had to write an article about that. I'm not going to get the part this past the bloom in Sumbury. This a half the terminology that they use with black powder stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was some quite intense wordage there. Yeah, do you want to know my gossip?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to know the gossip because it's been nearly a week and you've been teasing us about this thing.
Speaker 3: Ah wow, Ed Carles the gamekeeper, very good gamekeeper, fan of the podcast, is excellent. His wife's also a fan of the podcast, and his wife's friend is also a fan of the podcast. So we're clearly infectious in Cambridge, which isn't the first time for me. So he told me, So this is the gossip. His wife turned to him the other day and said these words, I think I quite fancy Richard Nigas and his voice.
Speaker 1: Oh, poor poor woman.
Speaker 3: Just so you know, it was I quite fancy Richard Nigus and his voice. So it wasn't the voice straight away, but she said that afterwards. You know what becks if you're listening, I'm sorry I outed.
Speaker 2: You, but Bex, do you know I've always thought that I love that name. It's one of those names that sort of comeures.
Speaker 1: Up in me.
Speaker 2: The image of Kristin Scott Thomas.
Speaker 3: She's giggling. Now, she's giggling, She's giggling.
Speaker 2: When Kristin Scott Thomas turns around and says to Hugh Grant, it's you, Charlie. I went Charlie, you widiot. This is in Fallings in a funeral Charlie widiot. Obviously marry Herts Kristen Scott Thomas. You fall and she loves you, and every man in the whole world is doing that. That's what I think Bex is probably like.
Speaker 1: The problem is all these stuff comes across a bit like used to get in the back of newspapers, and things used to get like serialized, really poor erotic dramas, almost a bit like they were just like a little little paragraph at a time, and it was not quite readers wise, and then they evolved into little four panel strip with photos and things. I mean, can you imagine what that would sound like? Amy?
Speaker 5: The morning was crisp, the kind of cold that made pheasants sound mildly annoyed. Eleanor adjusted her in practically decorative coat and trudged towards the hedgerow, clutching a flask like it was a lifeline. She wasn't sure what had brought her here, curiosity, boredom, or the overwhelming alliere of a man who looked like he could wrestle a badger and win. Richard, the hedge layer, stood amidst the tangled branches like a rogue night of the suffolk undergrow. His shirt was unbuttoned just enough to suggest he understood the assignment. His arms, thick like two well stuffed sausages, flexed with each decisive swing of his bill hook. Mourning missus grays.
Speaker 3: Richard drawled the gravel of his.
Speaker 5: Dangerously smooth. His smile was kind that suggested he either had a plan or had just remembered where he left his lunch. I brought you soup, eleanor blurted, thrusting the flask towards him with the grace of a startled goose. Richard took it fingers brushing hers, his touch rough like a particularly sensual tree trunk.
Speaker 1: This is filth.
Speaker 5: Unscrewing the lid in a way that was definitely unnecessary but also weirdly hypnotic. Yes, leak and potato, she croaked, watching as he took a sick delicious, he murmured the weird hung in the air, thick with something that wasn't just appreciation for root vegetables. He stepped closer, smelling of sweat head shimmings and reckless confidence. But I don't think she came into soup. Somewhere in the distance, A Pheasants let out a horrified squawk, as if sensing the shere lack of propriety about two unfold.
Speaker 2: My lord, Yeah, I'm all a flush the female viewership.
Speaker 1: And boon of head laying.
Speaker 2: Do you know it's that's quite that Kirs Starmer was saying, we've got to be at the forefront of a I and that sounds like someone but right me, Barbara Cartland. But it's about a hedge lighter with someone with sort of slightly preposterous hair and and a mothy beard.
Speaker 3: Is there any as now you are the the allure for the ladies? Is there anything you want.
Speaker 1: To say housewives favorite?
Speaker 3: About being the housewives favorite?
Speaker 2: I suppose, Well, I'm I'm I'm just delighted to be that man. I mean, it's who knew all that stuff that I've been talking about in hedges for so long as finally born fruit, you know, And it's not just yellowhammers, it's now all the birds. Oh, there's a bit of nineteen seventies throwback there. Yes, well, who wrote that.
Speaker 5: Amy that would be chat GPT I believe.
Speaker 2: Oh that's okay, thank god for that's also, no humans are involved in this.
Speaker 1: If we when we get to do our first live show, if we get to do it at the Game Fair, I will recount the tale of when I was propositioned whilst location scouting for BBC's hit TV drama Sherwood and it wasn't by females.
Speaker 3: Really, you do look like that could happen.
Speaker 2: It's a good story.
Speaker 1: Involved Woodland, but it did. Yes, what are we talking about this week, gentlemen? What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: I don't know. There was some show notes and now you've just sort of tried to make me out in to be some sort of the Robert Redford with a buildbook.
Speaker 1: So now we're talking about conservation.
Speaker 2: For hooray, thank god for that.
Speaker 1: Yes, So we're talking about the things that people do which are inadvertently causing harm to wildlife to habitats that are the opposite of doing conservation. It's doing doing doing a damage. And this sort of came up naturally in our little WhatsApp chats that we used to try and wrestle the show into some kind of order, and all we do sometimes was it the Was it the birds nest think that started it?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was an article that I read somewhere or other that were saying about the birds nests are now getting infested with well that they're not succeeding because they're using dog hair, and so many dogs are all lathered with shampoo, tick spray and flea treatments and all sorts of weird shampoos and things to stop them smelling like dogs that then pete. Then birds go out, they pick up the hair. They then line their nests with them and hay press. Though nests fail because of this. I mean, I think that the scientific data behind it was probably it sounds a better story than it is, but it is definitely true that one of the issues when it comes to dogs and what you spray on them to stop them having ticks and fleas and stuff, is that they then jump into rivers and they then go and that tick spray goes into the rivers, and of course, because it's designed to kill the things like fleas and ticks, it then goes and kills all this aquatic life form. So therefore that's actually quite serious. I don't use anything on my dogs like that anymore because I think, well, actually I can see that this is genuinely a case, and so yeah, that's what started it all off. And I think there is genuinely a bit of an issue really.
Speaker 1: And it's that completely second order consequence thing. You're not expecting that you're doing this one thing in your home which is going to make that bird's nest three miles away fail. Yeah, no, I think you had that sort of sphere of influence.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that well, you as as a bit of a fishing of clean rivers and stuff. I think it's something that I think these knock on effects which we're now only seeing in rivers now, is something that those of us have involved in farmland conservation have been saying, do you know there's a problem here, guys, Because what we're actually seeing is a lot of the sprays that were used etc. On farms that at the time it didn't really seem a huge consequence, and then you suddenly thinking, who is not quite as many starlings about as they used to be, Oh, there's not quite as many lap wings about, and then all of a sudden they've gone and we're now seeing that same situation. Is that our farmland birds had fallen off the perch. To pardon the punt, sort of ten fifteen years ago. Our rivers have suddenly dying because there's been this cumulative effect and eventually nature went I can't do this anymore, and it's died. And it's probably something to do with largely because rivers of water has been privatized, and it never made any sense to me. My father was a civil engineer.
Speaker 3: Comes in well, my father.
Speaker 2: Was a civil engineer and he specialized in great, big sewage things. And he is ninety four and he's a card carrying conservative. Him and my mother met at Young Conservatives. He is conservative. In fact, he's probably more conservative than if you had a mating between Margaret Thatcher and Nigel Lawson, the offspring would be less conservative than my father.
Speaker 1: Yet he said, who was going to partner Margaret Thatcher? Then?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think Nigel Lawson, You see it. Norman tebbat would be the obvious go to. But I think Nigel Lawson is actually probably even more conservative than the Norman Tebbitt, but.
Speaker 3: More of the kind and generous lover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably so, I mean, look, he produced Nigella. Anyway, my father said that the worst thing that ever happened in all the privatization, all the Tory policies anything, you know, poll tax. He said, it was a brilliant idea. He said, it was just badly, badly powered. Every single thing he said, other than privatizing water was the most stupid thing on every single level. And I think we are now reaping that benefit or the woes of it. But you've got this situation now where you've got all these bloody people who went and got cockapoos and other ridiculous dogs all during lockdown and they're all smothering in stuff because they got really like the way that dogs smell. I just thought dogs look cute and like an instagram them, and they cover them in all these various tick sprays and then take them for a little paddle because people have tried to diversify, and they go, it's a good idea. I'm going to go and use a bit of my river there, and you can go and swim your dog if you pay me fifteen quid to go and exercise it there for an hour, and then that's washing down and it's killing everything that lives in the river. Well done, Yes, that's good. Farm diversifications.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think of that, didn't even know that was the thing. This is, this is why the episode is inadvertently damaging nature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what it's The thing is that you don't when you spot it, it's actually it doesn't make a lot of sense and you go, oh, yeah, I can see that link really clearly, But until someone raises it in your sphere of influence and the people you listen to, it's it's quite well hidden. And that's part of the problem with these kind of things is that they always come across as being delivered by the fun sponge. You know, we're taking away the thing you like to do by saying by telling you what the bad consequences of it are. And it's always a really difficult part of that conservation communication that how can you point out people's negative actions to them without whilest still making them feel engaged with the subject.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. And there was a there was a thing that around the time of I think the Lake Queens Jubilee was this company of spent a huge amount of money on suggesting that you buy this sort of union Jack Dawed Chinese lantern thing and we could all set them off to go and celebrate Her Majesty's jubilee. And they clearly thought this is a great idea, this is patriotic, and isn't this wonderful? And I remember I saw it quite early on, and I went well as a erstwhile household cavman, And there's a passionate conservationist who does spends their entire life trying to save wildlife. You are idiots, And if I find out where your company is based, I will burn it down because that's what you're going to do to the habitats of wildlife. How dare you even desecrate our flag with this thing? And they went, oh my god, this guy with lots of followers on Twitter's just trolled us. And of course then I rammed up the thing and do you know I blame it actually on Roll Dull. See Roll Dull.
Speaker 3: There's there's something I do expect to see.
Speaker 2: King of the Poachers, King of the Poachers, and the bloody Danny, the Champion of the World, the Tirday. Oh it's great, isn't real do wonderful? It's been such a wonderful thing. He's got my children to read. Yes, he also encourage lots of children to think that Chinese lanterns are a bloody good idea. Well, for a start, they're obviously a fire hazard, but secondly they're this stupid thing that you are basically polluting the environment by sending this thing off, and you're thinking, doesn't that look pretty? But like when people go and have, you know, birthday parties and they've got helium balloons and they're going and we're just releasing stuff because you think this looks pretty. So this gives us a brief erection of of oh, doesn't that look pretty? And then you go buger the consequences. Where's this thing going to land? You know, it really annoys me.
Speaker 1: In danger, particularly to sort of sea birds and sea wildlife as well, because they go out to sea and they think the jellyfish when they land in the and they get to it, yeah, and they get eaten and they're ingesting a bit of rubber and the plastic bit of string, or worse, the foil ones, the ones that are in the shape of letter for a second birthday party or that kind of thing. There's one in one of the woodlands we look after at the moment. It's right at the top of the tree and every time I go down there, it annoys the piss out of me, because it's just it's just winking at me in blue reflective foil, like like the chaff generator on the side of a fighter aircraft. It's just it's there, absorbing radar signal and absorbing my annoyance. But it's come from just it's escaped from the hand of a child somewhere. But all those things do land somewhere. But then littering doesn't seem to be a thing that people feel guilty about anymore, as long as they don't doing it in front of other people. That every lane that we drive along seems to have have litter on it of some type. And you know when you're getting closer to a McDonald's or a KFC or something, because the number of McDonald's wrappers increases. But the weird thing is that litter is only really of annoyance to humans. It's not actually that much of a problem for wildlife until you get to things like balloons in water, which become ingested by sea mammals and fish and other things. So people tend to focus on litter as being the major problem, But litters on its own isn't really that much of a problem unless you can count things like microplastics and granules of rubber from tires and roadside and road salt washing into water courses and stuff like that which people never think of.
Speaker 3: I see a birds make a nest out of plastic forks once. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's resourceful.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've seen plenty of birds using the little fibers from the cutoff bits of fertilize. Yeah, oh yeah, But I mean I laid ahedge last ease and for some lovely customers of ours, the squirrels who farm out near sort of way.
Speaker 1: When you say the customers of yours are squirrels, do you mean that is their surname or you've actually been paid by squirrels their name is?
Speaker 3: That's what a person that was paid by squirrels would know.
Speaker 2: I did actually use that line in my book Words from Hedge, which is published on May the first. It's insane, is that? Yeah? I don't know. I don't like to talk about it. Words from the Hedge, and it's on May the first, Yes, published unbound, And what's it about hedges and my words from Yeah? Anyway, So I laid these hedges for this families whose surname is Squirrel right, and they we've done quite a lot of work for them, and we'd laid one of them for the parish council which separated their land from where the village playground was, and Gord in our gang. This ditch is funny. It feels like you're walking on the sort of a cushion underneath it. And we kicked all the leaf matter out the way and discovered that this entire ditch was filled with nappies, disposable nappies that obviously some mother or mothers had taken their children, possibly fathers, I suppose, had taken their children regularly when they were in the sort of pooing in nappy stage, to every day down to go and play on the swings and slides and whatnot. And obviously they'd been shaken up by the swings and slides, and then they'd filled their nappies and then they'd thrown them into this ditch along which this hedge we were laying was running. And it's those little micro and I'm going to call it microaggressions, is that that they don't care. They think that there is no worry, no concern about this, that it doesn't affect me, that it's not really a big problem, and that then actually stretches out further in the fact that if you're prepare scummy. Yes it's scummy, but I.
Speaker 3: Just it's sunny. There's not really any excuse for it. It's just but it's there. Yeah, that's it. You're the disregard for the wildlife, you're the town, you're living for everything, for the other humans around you. It's just real scummy behavior.
Speaker 1: I've heard it described as it's a bit like the broken windows issue, that when you see other people doing it, it becomes permissive for every act there's a certain sort of number of people you can see doing it, or a level of evidence you can see, and the moment you see the evidence that's there for you, it's fine for you to do.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: If you see a pile of nappies, that becomes that's the place you put nappies. They've you've seen this with dog poop bags. If you start putting dog poop bags in one place on a popular dog walk, everyone else will put the dog poop bag there because I suddenly think this is some council scheme and this is where you put them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's well, that'll be all right. I know it's a big pile of rubbish among them, but he's a bizarre thing. Today. I put five hundred pieces of single use plastic into the countryside today intentionally, and that was because I planted five hundred hedge whips, which tick in the box. That's made Ed Milliban happy because I'm doing is carbon thing.
Speaker 3: What's a hedge whip?
Speaker 2: Okay, So hedge whips are sapling, so that at the moment they're called bear root, so they dug up. I put these plastic guards on a hedge whip so young hedges aren't planting. You plant five to the meter, and I planted five hundreds a day, so you can do the math as the Americans say, for how many meters I did today. And it's backbreaking work. My buttock's ache, as I think I've already said, which will please becks. But more to the point is I had to guard them against munt jack with tree guards. Now, there are biodegradable options available, but they're not very good. They're not very good at all. They don't work, they're too expensive. The options aren't very good. I can take them off again in three to four years time and recycle them. But there's a pain in the backside. But we have to do it because society expects that our hedges that we plant, because society is paid through their taxis for me to go and plant these things. But also because we're not prepared to go and get on top of the deer issue of the over abundance of muntjack that we've got here and eradicate the wretched things, we have to guard them because the only way you're going to see a new hedge come about. So sometimes society is lazy and scummy, as Callum said, and they're throwing nappies into ditches or McDonald's wrappers, or they're setting off stupid sky lanterns or or silvery balloons and stuff filled a helium. But I'm having to do it because society or government hasn't actually thought about what are we going to do about making sure that we want to plant all these hedges. We want to have all this stuff going in so it all looks nice and cuddly and wonderful and we've got much more leafy and greener country. They haven't thought about the fact that, oh, perhaps we ought to first of all, think about getting a biodegradable alternative to a hedgewook, which is affordable hedge guard. And also the fact that we're importing every single cane that I put in, So five hundred canes came on the slow boat from China with bamboo. I said, well, bamboo's a renewable thing, but it came all the way from China that the bags they're written on has got Chinese writing all over it. So being green just because I think, oh and I wonderful, just plant aller the hedges. Well, actually I'm not. I've put single use plastic into the environment, and I'm using bamboo canes that have come from three corps the way around the world.
Speaker 1: You get some projects that specify that you need to have the UV degradable hedge cards, which are completely useless and pointless because they just break down to shards of plastic that don't go anywhere, so they become spaniels stabbing things rather than and they don't and then they go in the grass and then they don't get UV on them anymore, and they just litter there and you can't pick them up because there's too many bits.
Speaker 2: And also, of course we've got we've got. The other thing is that women, you see, and with the pope on this is the contraceptive pill.
Speaker 1: What's I wondered where you were going with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wondered. I thought it was just thought you're gonna have to fade them out for a problem with women.
Speaker 2: The problem women, it's actually the problem they shouldn't know sixties. No, But isn't the contraceptive pill doing something to our water, to our fish? Now?
Speaker 3: The E two that goes into the water actually turns I'm sorry, you probably here babies crying.
Speaker 1: The sound of your living offspring and actually enjoying themselves downstairs.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the high levels of estrogen that go into the water, and specifically the studies are done on I thing called E two. So it decreases the sperm count and motility motility, motility in male fish. But it also makes male fish the wriggliness, It makes your sperms not works proper, and it also makes a lot of male fish turn closer to female.
Speaker 2: Oh, so it makes it like trip Lloyd, you know, with the old what's it called rainbow tracked.
Speaker 3: Some fish, some of those trout species, if they get a high density of one. I don't actually I don't know if it can go both ways, but I think it's like if you get a high density of males, some of them can turn female, and the high amounts of estrogen or E two or whatever they call it in their turn fish into females, which makes obviously their world population rapidly decline through more estrogen in water.
Speaker 2: So I mean to conclude, then, is that what we're talking about is that all women should come off the pill. We should shoot more muntjak, and that anyone who uses lanterns sky lanterns, Chinese lanterns call them we will. And those stupid balloons of the shining.
Speaker 3: Burned at the stake but not from China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, the user condom the people at the spe Honestly, do you know, I might become an MP because I think I think therefore, what we've got to do is that we ought to as a society actually think about the end use is that we are far too much right here right now. This scratches my itch. This makes me feel good. Is that perhaps we ought to talk about real stuff rather than morons going on about our nature's in depletion. And blaming conservatives for it or something simplistic like that, or saying is, oh, it's all because there's these earls and lords who own lots of land. That's why we haven't got stuff. No, actually, it's much closer to home is we are all responsible for our little microaggressions against nature, against wildlife, against our environment. And just think a little bit more. You haven't got to wear bloody sandals and vote green and be weird and eat mung beans and lentils and go vegan. That's just stupid. But what you do have to do is perhaps think about the instantaneous easy itch that's been scratched, has been done by scientists to make your life easy because they want to flog you stuff, and don't do it anymore. Think a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I've got a ramp, so I'm gonna wait for Calumbar speak and then I'm gonna rant.
Speaker 3: So one of my one of my things that I do with the boy is so I don't do it every single day every Saturday. But there's a community group they call themselves the Wombles, and we go out on a Saturday. We all meet up at eleven o'clock. We get bin bags. Probably six people turn out and we go and clean up the local area with a bin bag, a litter picker and take the dog baby strapped to the front, boy next to me, and we go out and we pick up litter and if you a bag. Because he's so determined now to do it and he wants to get his fine motor skills to a good point. It takes him about two hours to fill a black bin bag up. But I'm quite happy to be patient and wait for such things because I think that these these things are lessons learning like that, and he finds it quite fun, you know, trying to pick up cigarette butt with a cigarette with a litter picker off the floor. He finds it quite fun. It's a bit of a challenge, it's it's something to do.
Speaker 1: But motor skills and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just just learning and going deep into a hedge for a can of monster or something. You know, it's a bit of fun as well. But just learning about how you know that we don't do that and respecting our environment, having respect for those around us, and also a little bit of a community element. I think is a really important lesson to learn early on in your life. So you don't carry on because I think it's largely it is a cultural thing. I think some people like it's it's funny, it's customary. To well, it's not customery. It's a culture thing to throw stuff into rivers. A lot of people don't care about polluting rivers, just throwing rubbish into a river because they think, well, the river flows, so it will take it away from.
Speaker 1: Here and then you can't see it anymore and it's gone, and it's gone.
Speaker 3: So they think about throwing stuff in rivers. And I was in Manchester in a park fishing for great big brown trout and there's just people going to their back garden and launching nappies, use nappies directly into the river. And it's crazy. That's like, they don't see anything wrong with it. And it's so important to teach your kids whoever, teach whoever it is, that doing stuff like that not cool, not cool.
Speaker 1: So my rams is sort of related to that. But bear with me, audience. I am a massive hypocrite if you like it in one way, because I've been working in the outdoors as it's termed, for nearly twenty years, So it was nearly twenty years ago, I started going through all my qualifications to being an outdoor instructor, and I started working all over Snowdonia, then all over the UK, and then ended up working all over the world doing everything from working in outdoor centers with kids groups to then I used to I was working on overseas trips, go up and down Killamanjaro and Everest base Camp and things like that. And then I started working as a remote area medic, which is a posh name for the person holding the first aid kit on multi day races. And then I started organizing huge multi day triathlons and I was a safety officer and director for those.
Speaker 3: I introduced you as a man that does everything except video, and then he said I do video, and so yeah, he does everything then, so.
Speaker 1: It's not adhd R. Yeah, it's definitely not ADHD. So I'm about as outdoors as it gets. Qualifications in hillwalking and mountain I'm a mountain leader, climbing instructor, mountain biking, all of that. I also teach wild food and foraging. So I should be an ideal candidate for right to Rome. They hate me because I think everything's Actually we've got probably the best balance of access to conservation right now as it is, we don't. We have a huge problem with outdoor recreation in the UK and around the world, but in the UK, particularly over the last ten to fifteen years, driven by social media and just changes in culture, that the outdoors is being sold and the outdoors I mean green spaces, I mean habitats, I mean riverbanks, moorland, woodland, footpaths, field edges, all of these places that we talk about, they are being sold to people, to the public entirely as places of recreation. They are not. There's no mention of habitat in the messaging that goes out to the outdoor recreation sector. You can pick up a copy of Trail magazine and I would give you a ten pounds. So every time you see the word habitat in there that relates to natural habitat or to anything like that. When you see the word conservation on the British Mountaineering Council website, they talk about, you know, we have these conservation projects. What they are are footpath repair projects from hiking, these scars that are left on the side of fells and mountains that are from people walking on the tracks and so many people walking through there. It's a road to a scar on the mountains, so they replace it with some stone and it makes it born resilient. That's not conservation, that's repairing hiker damage. And this is the huge disconnect between outdoor recreation that's not related to a habitat as in fishing, farm field sports, stuff like that, the stuff that we tend to talk about all the other stuff mountain biking, kayaking, while swimming, hillwalk and climbing. All of the messaging around those topics is that these places are for recreation and that's it. They are a venue, that is all they are. You see virtually nothing about the negative impacts of those things in those places. And when you start talking to the organizations that represent people like the British Mountaineering Council or Mountain Training or British Canoe Union or Mountain Biking UK and all these other places about the effects of people, they go, yeah, well, aren't farmers awful? So what's the sod all to do with this argument? The us going out to the outdoors. We cause habitat disturbance. We make habitats unviable through disturbing it, far too often by letting dogs off leads, run through the undergrowth. I mean, your one dog might not have a huge impact, but when it's the fiftieth dog that Saturday, then it's going to mean that ground nesting birds can't get established, small mammals can't get established there, or they're just living in terror the whole time. Footpath is more. Footpath damage is more than scars and the landscape. It's compression of soil. It's disruption of habitats, really fragile habitats when you think about mosses and bogs and stuff like that, and just selling the outdoors as a venue, which even organizations like the Ordinance Survey, the people make the bloody maps, they have these huge schemes where they just say get outside, just go outside. It's great for your mental health. Go outside. We'll go outside and do what urinate on a war memorial, desecrated badger. Which of these which of these get outside activities is meant to be positive? Is it just buying mapping services from the bloody Ordnance Survey? That no, So that is my no.
Speaker 2: That's a worthy rant because I.
Speaker 1: Tell you you're OK. I didn't swear that was the most the biggest effort was not using the language I wanted to use.
Speaker 2: One of the worst things that I hear, and that's what's the face. The woman who was a Green MP for Brighton and then stop being one came Caroline's Lucas that's it rhymes of me. She came out with this nonsense when she was trying to push this that we should have right to Rome in England, she came out with all this gubbins and this this or she thought, I've got a really catchy thing, is that people need nature right now? I thought, no, you're looking at this completely the wrong way around. Do nature need people? Now? I'll be honest. Nature does need me. It actually needs me because if you're going to be a farmer, your job is to grow food. My job is to try and make sure that there's some natural habitat in the in the farmed environment. So therefore, if you like, nature doesn't actually need the farmer. But what nature does need is people like me who plant hedges, plant trees, plant new woods, make sure that the woods grow all. Look, there's a hedge that now needs managing, so we can make it more by diverse. It needs me, But does it actually need the rest of society were they say, well, unless people care about nature, unless they actually engage with it, then they won't care about it, which is a very good argument. But until they have shown themselves suitably qualified and equipped to worry about nature, then I don't think that nature does need humans. And I think that one of the greatest tragedies If what I read in the Guardian is that the GCSE for Natural History is being binned by this ridiculous government who masquerade is supposedly leading us at the moment that they're lead that they're casting a design because it's a Tory idea, then that's really sad because at the end of the day, we have to educate people that we need more Xavier's Callum sons. But it shouldn't be Callum's just his job to do it. Society's jobs should be to educate young people. That is not acceptable to throw shitty nappies in a ditch, It is not acceptable to let all these things go, and that you don't just have this god given right to go out into the countryside. You actually nature doesn't need you unless you're responsible for nature.
Speaker 3: But I'm not defending the right to roam blot but you do need. You need that exposure to nature in order to understand it, to engage with it and respecting it, and potentially you probably do need to, you know, maybe the amount of times I must have walked through terrible areas along the river, not knowing what I was disturbing as a young boy, because no one showed me that stuff, you know, but walking through like walking through stinging metals and discovering a mallard on a nest, thinking I've probably just led a fox right to it, because now I've trampled all of that down and you know, made a thing. But I just wanted to go and fish down the river. But I hadn't thought that trampling stinging nettles was going to you know, never, I never thought that that was going to be a thing, because I had no guide. So I suppose what we need is the guidance of people to show us that that's probably not a good idea, what good practice looks like.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a very mucky argument that rights to rome engage in which is they imply which because your argument there, Calum is completely correct. But the right to rome argument, whether it's by the sort of the loose organization or whether it's just people who who advocate for it. The implication is that unless you have full right to Rome, nobody anywhere will have any access to nature. We have fantastic access to green spaces in the British Isles.
Speaker 3: Strongly agree it's there's loads.
Speaker 1: If you go onto the Right to Rome website now it will say you only have access to eight percent of the land in the UK. In England, which is actually the right is the Countryside right of Way Act access areas. So two thousand Countryside right of Way Act was the right to roam within certain areas, mostly upland areas, some heathland, some forest, so a lot of it's set in lake district, Peak district, places like that, not near towns because it was done above a certain height of contour, a certain distance from road, and other things like that. In Wales it's twenty percent of the land is under Right to Rome. You never hear that figure quoted by the Right to Roam organization because it really doesn't help their stats. It also does not include the thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of miles of public footpaths, bridalway roads under other use and all these other tracks that you have a statutory duty to maintain as a landowner, which a lot of mount landowners do, which are footpaths that take you all the way across the country, zigzagging back and forth. You can zigzag all over the place. And in fact, I'm going to be this summer walking from Ivy Bridge in Devon over to Oxford almost entirely on public footpaths, and I'm not going to be crossing that many roads walking alongside the A three O three or whatever. So there's loads of places you can go to which are not included in that figure. We have fantastic access. Part of the problem is that if you add more access to the land, add more people onto those places and give them more access, the only thing it can possibly do is make people feel better about their lives. It can do nothing to benefit nature, It could do nothing to benefit conservation. If your argument is there aren't the habitats are terrible and you need more people in there to help the habitats, well that's complete bollocks. You just need If your whole argument is about habitats, then advocate for better habitat management. It's got nothing to do with right to Rome.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, he's done a lot of harm. I really do, because he's turned thing which we can all agree is we need more habitat, we need better landscapes. We need to go and make sure that farming is compatible and works with nature. But this daft idea when it as soon as you turn anything to do with nature into a political football, I think that that is bad for nature because nature doesn't needs politicians. Like my dog needs a bra. It's just something it doesn't. He doesn't need it. Now you can argue about and I'm quite happy to go and discuss the people who look at rewilding as an option of conservation management rather than my interventionist conservation management. But that whole thing that the human being must come first, I see that the right to roam argument is utterly no different to that parent who thought it was okay to chuck nappies into a ditch because they thought, no, I come first. Actually here, me, me, human are much more important than that vole or that yellow hammer or anything else that uses that hedge. And they they I mean that right to Rome thing that I'm actually with Richard, and I don't have OCD autism. And what as CND that he's got. But I am equally manic about it because it's the most selfish idea that I've ever come across. It's utterly bonkersly batshit. If you claim to love wildlife, you claim to love nature, how can you think that imposing more human beings on spaces that nature needs can possibly be a good thing? Because we are the wrongans here. You know, it's not our fault. We've just evolved into this thing. But selfish gits.
Speaker 3: As a person that often turns one man walking in the woods into two people walking in the woods and being an observer of whatever it may be, dear, etc. I know that even two people walking really quite quietly through the woods, nature does not like it, and it runs and everything just runs away. So to have people boldly knocking around in woodland, and you know, kids running around, it's not doing any good for nature. They're just going to run around. And if you've got multiple people in different ends of a wood, there's not going to be They're just going to all go go to ground all the all. The nature is not going to be loving their life in the wood. You can't have people. You can have people existing in nature, but they need to exist in their little spaces where they can exist in nature and engage with it. And then there also needs to be little areas where you don't go in, you don't disturb them, and you let nature do its thing.
Speaker 1: How does that work with rivers and things like that, where you've often got a kind of a moving habitat where it's not fixed that the wildlife doesn't stay in one place.
Speaker 3: You just simply get Really so, the most wildlife rich areas in which is going to be a big contradiction, because this is the bits I like fishing the most are the backstreams and little back eddies off of the main river. The main river is usually almost always devoid of life. There's barely anything in the main river. You've got people knocking about in boats, you got you know, a footpath down there. There's hardly anything in the main river. But you will see like a deep mill pool though, where fish can get away, where they can they can hang about in. So their the aquatic life will tend to be in places like mill pools, and that's also because they're oxygenated and other such things. Or you'll find areas where fish can get cover, so it will be trees overgrown so they're not disturbed by things from above from because fish don't know if your friend or foe. They don't know if you're a predator. They don't know if you're going to dive them and eat them from above. They've got no idea. So they need to be hidden. They need to be sat behind a rock in some flow, or they need to be underneath, you know, under the undercut bank where the current is. Fish will always seek shelter and to hide. They don't want to be out in the open. Very rare you see fish out in the open because they're just two at risk of predators. So yeah, the nature generally will find the most quiet secluded are, especially rivers where they can do their own thing. I was telling someone the other week about how one time when I was pole fishing, I was very very quiet in this little backstream, and I saw two kingfishers which would be the nesting pair, and then their offspring all come up. So there was like I don't know, I was young, It was probably only about fourteen, but in my head there was like seven, but there was probably more like four or five, but there was all these kingfishers just come darting up the stream, sit on these these roots that have been exposed by the flood water. They sort of darted around and then they all started off, and I never saw all of them together again. I saw one blue flash zip down the river every now and again, and that.
Speaker 2: Sort of probably watched the fledging. I would imagine what a wonderful experience that would be.
Speaker 3: And since speaking to other people, that's it, that's probably they don't really spend a long time together once they once they fledged, they're gone. That was probably their first and only flight together. And I just sat there watching it because I was quiet. The float didn't move, and I was completely tucked out the way like I was in a hide or something, and no one and no one, you know, I wasn't disturbing anything.
Speaker 1: When you said pole fishing, I assumed it was going to be for catfish.
Speaker 3: No, just one of those little old roach pole sort of jobbies. If you ever use one of those, it's a great way of fishing elastic through the top. So when a little tiny roach takes it, the elastic takes the lunges and and and then you can just swing them into your hand and it's a fun way of fishing, you know, very delicate and precise. You can catch quite small fish. I just mentioned to one of my friends. I just I mentioned my the thing about polluting, about what's the official title of the episode, inadvertently destroying nature, And the first thing he said was balloons and Chinese lanterns, which we've adequately covered. And then he said, oh, and fly tipping. And I said, well, that's not really inadvertent, and he says, gone, actually, and then he said I think it is. And I asked him to elaborate. This is James. Shout out to James, and he said, the amount of people that pay for what they assume is reputable people to take their rubbish away, yes, and it ends up at a lay by somewhere, And he's got a very good point. I think that is. I think people have a very genuine feeling that the person they are employing is going to take it away and put it somewhere, responsibly pay the dump charge to put it somewhere, and they don't. They go and dump it in the countryside. So I mean, really, if someone offers to take it for fifty quid, it might be worth paying hundred and getting someone you really know and can vet that can take your stuff away because it could well end up in la by.
Speaker 2: I suppose, and our throwaway society that would be extremely difficult for us to get out of. I just can't see it because I don't think most companies want to lessen their packaging and everyone wants to get their stuff by Amazon and bloodh blahdah blah. I think it does highlight that there is in the news today, was it that they have now brought out, well, the population figures of this country again, seventy three seventy three million. I mean, we are getting to a point where you think one of the reasons we are at this tipping point with the littering and the various usage. Yes, our societal laziness is a contributing factor, but when you've got such a large society then it can only be bad. And I do feel we probably have got too many people here really and unless we can train them.
Speaker 1: When you talk about population numbers as well, there's this story that comes up again and again, which is when I think it was like the consultum of retail supermarkets or something. They did surveys a few years ago before COVID and they sort of worked out the population might be closed as a ninety million based on the number of the amount of food they sell, which kind of ties up with some water companies looking at the amount of sewage they have to process and for a town of a certain size. I think it started looking at Slough originally and then it moved on to other places, and there are these disputed claims that the population could actually be quite a lot higher. It's just that we're not able to count properly. It's a weird one for us because in our little valley in North Wales here we tend to go sort of into Wales, further into Wales. We don't often go out into England. And we have to go to Chester for something last Sunday and I went in there as bloody hell, there's a lot of people around it. It was like I got fatigue from people from just having to go to Atoby Carvery. You know, it was a stressful event for me.
Speaker 3: Any time going to be Carvery' is a stressful.
Speaker 2: Isn't that going back to the nineteen seventies anyways, I mean that's quite exciting.
Speaker 3: Isn't Well, there is a technique for the Toby carvery you. So they ask you what you want, so you'll specify what you want, so they'll carve you up. You know, so I'll just have I'll just have the beef. And then once they've carved you your portion of beef, you just say, actually, I have a little bit of a little bit of the others because they ain't taken any off. So let them carve you the full portion of beef first, and then get your get your turkey and gammon. See that that is the content people come here for.
Speaker 2: This is the sort of harlow, the harlow inside cd underbelly that Callum brings to this how to get scammed?
Speaker 3: I think I think you've also got the intro that just there. O.
Speaker 1: God, right, so have we finished talking about all the horrible things that people do to old life?
Speaker 2: Basically we are awful human.
Speaker 3: Some people eat as well humans.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, we could go onto the fact that no where we're Yes, of course, then we could go and have to we'd have to argue with someone who go and say, hold on new lock and trample through wood shooting stuff, and you like sort of sitting by rivers and catching fish and you know, come on, you two face gets why don't you go and do that when you've got a line, you'd be in the line of beaters going and tapping out a load of pheasants and partridges and whatnot, which is a good thing for another day.
Speaker 1: I will sum that up with I will put the life of my firstborn against the idea that the worst pheasant shoot in the British Isles, the very worst commercial pheasant shoot in the British Isles, accidentally does more good for conservation and wildlife than the best run Three Peaks Outdoor Charity Challenge mass participation event company.
Speaker 2: Oh and people thought I was the controversial one.
Speaker 1: It's the thing. It's that field sports even anything.
Speaker 3: Else about Toby Carvery.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't let him have access to the internet whilst we're talking, should we?
Speaker 2: No, No, exactly. Anyway, we nearly finished it because I mean, I just feel that if Richard Rant said anymore, I'm able to lose my crown.
Speaker 1: No said, Okay, I'll go back in my box for next week. We've got some questions from listeners. Shut up, count We've got We've got some questions from listeners, one which you can't remember who it was from. We need hot tips on hedge and particularly for planting maiden trees. So brand new in establishing a hedge and protecting them against sheep. I'm interested in this because we've got sheep in the woodland that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 2: So okay, so okay, So you plant a new hedge five to the meter staggered row about thirty meters in between the rows. Don't plant six? Is deaf ro say, because that's just plain stupid, because if you've got half decent soil, you're setting up at least one for the young things to die. And how do you protect them from sheep? Well, that's a very good question. We don't have any sheep around here. But I would suggest that you the thing you're going to have to do is you are going to have to fence that in with a little bit of with a little bit of fencing, because at the end of the day, we have it easy here. The only things we have to go and protect the munching of the teeth of deer or of hairs. We don't have that. So I mean, actually it's fairly straightforward. You just lay out a rope and you plant five to the meter and you heal them in and you make sure they're put in. But the most important thing, of course is that you are going to either mulch them and keep them irrigated during their first couple of years of growth and then they're done. Guard them against browsing fensome from sheep.
Speaker 1: Yea worse than deer in some ways, because you can sort of. I've seen people do dead to some degrees of success, like big dead hedge lines either side of tree planting and woodland and particularly coppices to keep deer away from it and sort the deer's brows through it. And if they can't munch on something, they wander off. Because sheep are suicidal. They'll just keep pushing through anything they come across until they get something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the padded and armored, which doesn't help.
Speaker 2: I mean, the long and the short of it is that yes you can. If you can diminish hair and breer deer and hair browsing, do say beer and dear bowsing and drinking coffee. I must go, I must have a drink. But the thing I think that obviously with livestock you're going to have to keep it retained anyway, and once they're established, the sheep are actually beneficial to the hedge because they act like a little flail mower and they'll browse off that side and it makes it tiller out. And that's all fine. Just got to keep them that delicate stage of the first sort of three to four years of growth. You need to fence them out with stock fencing or electric net. I guess what are the questions we got? Well, I've got one actually from my mate right, and this, I mean, it's quite funny. Now. He's one of my best pals, he really is. He works up north with grouse, right, and he says about hedge laying, He's asked me a question, he said, why do you make such a mess and would it not look a lot better with a nice bit of pig netting with a couple of strands of barbed wire above? Thank you and anticipation. Wilf, oh, some spaniel catchures.
Speaker 3: Have you not been called the hedgelayer hedge slay?
Speaker 2: He's done me that. Yeah, he's done that as well. He's a menace, is Wilf. And he doesn't need an answer to that question because he eventually, after me getting very cross him on his lowland ground, he got a hedge layer in to go and lay some hedges, and he sent me some pictures and he said, what do you think of this rich? And I was finally able after him. Every single time I ever put one of my hedges up on X, he just goes and puts this thing saying what a king mess. And I was finally able to go and say what a king mess back to him because he actually wasn't very good. But anyway, yes, so that was a stupid question from a friend of mine, Wilth. But I did say I would read it out on this podcast just to make him feel wanted, because he lives in a cottage in the middle of nowhere, up on top of a moor.
Speaker 1: So you know, I was just going to plow on and do show business. But I just want to point out, for no reason whatsoever, Callum has just changed his jumper during this for no reason, just to distract us, I think, right, can weep? We've got show content to do right, an early notice that we are well two thirds of us again to be appearing at the British Shooting show on the Friday, only because I badgered them and badger them and badger them until they gave us some press passes, so thank you very much Shooting Show for giving some press passes. We are going to be recording some interviews there that I've got nothing to do with guns. We don't want to talk about guns at all, but we are going to talk about the sort of stuff that we normally talk about at the British Shooting Show. So Callum and I are going to be there and trying not to bring the podcast into further distribute. Richard refuses to go because he's a bit like that. Amy's going to be going as well.
Speaker 2: I don't like leaving Suffolk and I mean that's the long on the shore. I have to be.
Speaker 1: Extractly to be on Cambridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. You know it's all hilly after that, isn't he. I can't be doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be there. I'll be alive and in spirit and enjoying talking where you hate.
Speaker 2: Micro cap this time, Callum.
Speaker 3: I'm also going to feature on the Guns on Pigs podcast in only who let you on the lovely people at Guns on Pegs. I'm not sure how many people they've had that have never fired a gun at any kind of creature in their lives.
Speaker 2: You're fire You've fired a camera at lots of things that then subsequently got shot. So have you been shot? So, I would say probably being shot? Probably, yes, being shot.
Speaker 1: You're in this weird world of being possibly the most prolific attender of driven bird shoots in the UK who's never shot at any of the birds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think very niche club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got a unique take on this. Although they do say you get a pair of garters.
Speaker 2: Oh, get a pair of Shootings garters. I wore them the other day. They're bright pink.
Speaker 1: But where am ine? I've been on there? I was on there in September and mine, Yet they don't chap. Where's garters? Right? We I want to say thank you to the huge up taking listeners we've had as well, and all those new people who've started listening to the podcast, particularly since Christmas, and a lot of people are finding us and all I can say is I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'd also like to thank all those women that have been tuning in. We're only going to make better content for you from now on.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the first time we let Amy speak as well.
Speaker 3: I know I didn't know she could speak.
Speaker 2: Well, we aren't going to let us speak again if she goes and uses all that smarty, filthy language. It was like, so what the Jilly Cooper's arrived in the thing?
Speaker 1: We want to hear Claire's response to this.
Speaker 2: Well, she's going to actually, look, we've got one in March, haven't we?
Speaker 1: The Women episode?
Speaker 2: The Women episode to celebrate National Women's Day. We've got we just here. Well, actually Richard doesn't, because my wife thinks that Richard's got a lovely voice. So therefore he gets to go and do all the talking, and Calum and I get the evening off and and off we go.
Speaker 1: It's because I'm the most effeminate to the three of us. I think that's why this mustachioed woman called Richard. Well, I just look like Renee from Lolo. So therefore I've got this.
Speaker 3: Shark. I'm finding this quite difficult, as you've both now got admirers, and yet nobody wants you know, a barrow boy that sounds a little bit like Danny Dyer if you brought him off team. What's not sexy about me?
Speaker 2: Oh? I find you. I find you quite sort of sexy and a sort of well well attractive, well acceptable. Well you know, I quite like you you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm entertained by him.
Speaker 3: If you saw me in a dark alley, you wouldn't run away because I don't look like a threat.
Speaker 2: If you're wearing that bungle outfit, you don't look speedy.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is this is very personal. I'm going to fill out where who's hr Ain't is Amy hr?
Speaker 2: Amy's hr Yeah, but she's on mute, So you'm sorry, but you're you're.
Speaker 1: You're amusing though. And as the old adage goes, if you can make them laugh, you can make them breakfast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, laugh them into bed, which actually usually happens. When I get them there, they start laughing with So it's the sort of this ass about face way that I do that. Anyway, listen, if we finished talking about people who we don't like and human.
Speaker 1: Try and bring this one back into harbor. So thank you all for listening. If you go to our show notes, there's all sorts of links about what we all do. There's a Patreon things you can sign up and support us, or you can just give us a one off payment like Louise did. It's all on there. It's on the website, so there's all the little links. It will cost you not very much. It will cost you less than a coffee, So just go and give us some money because we're only going to use it to do things like live events and recordings in places and try and offset the costs of that. If you like the podcast, I judge you. But if you do like the podcast and you think other people might like it, then please share it. Share it with other people that in your circle and your group, even if it's just to say, can you listen to what these three idiots are talking about this week? We've got some places we want this podcast to go. We've got some stuff lined up already. We are thinking weeks in advance and when. The feedback we're getting is quite good and we do think other people would like it, So if you can share it with other people, then please do. If you have suggestions for us as well, other than stop making it because we know that one already, please send them in. We've got social media there you can get in touch with any of us.
Speaker 2: There a.
Speaker 3: No I think, just double down on the share it with people. Send a little WhatsApp to your pals and say I found this entertaining. You might too. That's it. Just because podcasts got absolutely terrible discoverability. No one will find podcasts. So even if you can shake someone and say, look, this is a podcast app, you download it here and you can listen to it here in your ears.
Speaker 1: And it's not shameless for us, because we're already there and we're just going to keep making it anyway. But we have got some guests coming up. There's one this month which I'm really looking forward to because I know nothing about his topics, so I'm going to ask him loads of questions. These guests deserve a wide audience and to be heard by a lot of people. So share it for the guests, share it for their message, right, thank you for listening, Thank you everyone. Were back next week with more, well more of the same. Really, it might be shorter, it might be longer, who knows. At this point Before I go, Richard, yes, where do you think we really went wrong with the British Empire?
Speaker 2: Well? Ending it largely. I mean, if you think about it, we had very few civil servants, a few good men with rifles, and most people were damn happy, weren't they. I mean, you know, okay they had a flag other than their own. But we just went wrong because what we said, was that, of course you want your independence. No I tell you