Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing a trail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, let's get it started. Welcome in, Happy, Happy hump Day. Still having a tough time realizing what day it is. If I give it a little thought, I think I can. I can figure out what da it is. Today's Wednesday. But with the holidays and with the snow stuff, it just hasn't. We haven't had a normal week in a while.
Speaker 2: But that's okay.
Speaker 4: That's okay, And I'm not really sure if we're gonna have a normal week for a while because it's still snowing. I walked in today, still snowing outside here in downtown Louisville, and it's kind of been snowing all day.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was out running errands earlier.
Speaker 4: Today, took the kids to daycare, took my daughter to sitter because she doesn't have school, and I don't remember hearing we were gonna get snow. It doesn't look like it's really causing any big issues. I'm not seeing any accumulation, nothing sticking to the roads, at least where I'm at. But it's been snowing all day, and we've got more snow coming on Friday.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: People are scared of it, but I'm somebody that's kind of cool with snow, right Like, I don't mind if we're gonna get cold weather. I don't mind snow at all. But if we end up having the winter weather that they are, I guess expecting this to be one of the worst winters we've had in a while, that may get old, that may get a little little frustrating. I mean, I was already stir crazy enough. I could have stayed home and done the show today, but I wanted to be in. I wanted to get out. I wanted to, you know, see people, see faces like the one and only Austa Montgomery, who's with me here today. So let's let's just dive right in. As you know, we're gonna take you up till six o'clock. We'll have some fun. But once again, we have to continue to discuss this this, I mean this Louisville basketball team.
Speaker 2: I was thinking all day, like, if I just go.
Speaker 4: In and just start going off the cuff here and expressing how I feel as a fan, expressing, you know, just from a basketball standpoint, what's really impressed me with this team. It'll probably be a little much. I'll probably be getting ahead of myself, but I kind of can't help it. I last night, once again, another phenomenal night at the Center, a night that felt like what it used to feel like. Right in fact, it kind of feels better. I don't think anybody likes that Louisville has been in the situation they've been in in recent years and even this year. Right like, they're having a good season, and clearly they seem to get better every time we see them in the last couple of weeks. But you know, this is a big bounce back year already because of what's happened in recent years. So again I keep realizing that what happened the few years where things were just in a place should never thought they'd ever be when it comes to Louisville basketball. I can't even say there's like a you know, there's a positive to that, or there's even a silver lining. But it happened, and now things like last night feel even better than they've ever they ever have, at least for me. So another impressive win for Louisville. And I can't get over how well they're playing right now. They're they're still not shooting the three ball well last night twenty nine percent from three to eight of twenty seven. I think Louisville's three leading scorers really quiet. You didn't get a whole lot from Chucky. Hepburn, he finished with I mean he played well, but overall he was what was he.
Speaker 2: I mean six? Why does it not show me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He had nine points. Was oh one of six from three?
Speaker 4: I mean overall, Chucky was one of ten from the field and made six of his a free throws. It was good in other areas, but Chuck, he didn't have a good game when it comes to just you know, production, when it comes to I guess just points. Overall, he's one of your leading scorers. He had a quiet night. Same thing for rain Smith. Just three points for Rain who'd been on fire as of late. Terrence Edwards only had five points, but it didn't matter because you had other guys step up, and nobody stepped up more so than Javon Hadley. What a game thirty two points to go along with ten boards, four assists. I mean, he was phenomenal. I mean, it's I was gonna say it sounds crazy, but it's true. I don't think it sounds crazy. If you watched last night, it was one of the better performances from an individual player at Louisville in a long long time. I'm not sure how I mean, I'm not sure if there was anybody that's had thirty plus points in a long time. I know the last guy to just go off and score a ton of points was probably Jordan Warra and that was five years ago, which is crazy to think. Didn't that crazy to say out loud Austin that it's been five years since war played.
Speaker 3: So long since he was there.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's been a few years. You feel like it's been longer than five years.
Speaker 3: It's I mean one was it twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty, so it's the COVID year.
Speaker 4: Okay, So and that's that's that whole Yeah, that whole window of time there. It really just it Sometimes it feels like it was the other day. Sometimes it feels like it was ten years ago.
Speaker 5: So, well, Chucky had that big game in the Bahamas, that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't thirty right, Actually, no, you're right. He had the steals.
Speaker 5: That that what's made it because I know we had like maybe twenty seven, twenty points and like seven.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right, you're right. He was in he was in the thirties.
Speaker 3: Oh so we did get the thirties. Okay, So I mean that just goes a show.
Speaker 4: Now I'm curious to see what it was. Was it against West Virginia? Yes, yeah, in that game, Chucky had let's see you get thirty exactly thirty two. I'm sorry, look at that. So thirty two for Chucky. So I guess technically we've got let's see what. Let's see Javon's numbers. He finished with.
Speaker 2: Thirty two. So thirty and thirty two. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, here I am thinking it's been forever. It's been a you know, maybe a month, because Chucky went off against West Virginia and it's not like I forgot about that. But Javon is not somebody that you would have ever expected to score. I mean he had a career high like at twenty, I think something like that. So just I can't stop raving about this team. I know that's probably not gonna make for great radio, So I'm going to try not to do it for three In fact, I won't do it for three straight hours. But you know, a lot of what I was saying when it comes to the takeaways and just you know what stood out from the win against North Carolina, I was saying the same thing after they did it against Virginia, and I'm saying it once again because it's the same type of stuff. It's, you know, defensively is where they really really have stepped up. I mean they were They've just been possessed defensively. I mean everybody out there there is such an attention to detail they're I mean, they're just so engaged from start to finish, Which that's one of those things you kind of just expect because you know that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: But I don't feel like.
Speaker 4: Earlier this year, when this team wasn't playing well and maybe it looked as if this team wasn't going to be able to even be in the position that they're in now even and then, you know, I don't feel like they were lazy. I don't feel like they were loafing. But now they're just playing with energy. That is it stands out in a major way. And I try to remind myself that the ACC is not, you know, meeting the wins against Carolina, Virginia and last night Clemson. You know, I guess those wins aren't necessarily going to be as impressive to outsiders just because they don't value the ACC. But Louisville can't control that. In Clemson, I don't know how good they actually are, but they beat Kentucky, which last Dot check, they're still a pretty good team. I know they lost last night kind of got not blown out, but really, you know, they never really, I don't think it ever felt like they were going to win the game, at least from you know, midway through the first half on. So again, I'm starting and the reason I'm spending my wheels here is because I'm kind of starting to think, like, all right, maybe they're gonna get like a really.
Speaker 2: Good seed, Like maybe we.
Speaker 4: Should start thinking about this team not just making the tournament, maybe making a run, which I don't think anybody would be against, sort of embracing that and having that as a, you know, something to look forward to, knowing that it's not guaranteed, but hey, it could happen, because I think we're kind of there, but I don't know. Like the acc makes it so hard to know what the ceiling is for this team when it comes to the seed line, because last night their win against Clemson, I mean they've played a team that on paper is I mean like after this, you only have three more chances to get wins that would you know, probably do a whole lot for you when it comes to value. On selection Sunday, the Lowell's now up to thirty seven in the Ken Palm with their victory last night. Clemson still is Clemson right now now is let's see where they ended up after last night. They're sitting at thirty four, so you know that's still a win with value. Now you've got to go play Pitt who got blown out at Duke last night. As we mentioned, SMU's solid at least as of right now, they're there. That's a game you've got later on this month and then you play pitt again when they I think, you know, yeah, you played pitt towards the end of the season at home. But you know, it's kind of awesome to say, okay, after this Pit game, not to say you're gonna win out, but really that road game at Pit it's the last game you can look at on paper and say, wow, that's going to be just extremely tough because one, this team's really really good, or because you're you know, you're on the road and look, I.
Speaker 2: Know they could loose anybody. We know that.
Speaker 4: As I mentioned, the the utp Eku game kind of reminded you that if you don't play well, you could slip up and lose to t teams that aren't very good. But getting through Carolina, Clemson, Pittsburgh, maybe you could throw Virginia on the road if you want. Although it didn't look like they're going to be very good at all this year, Like you've kind of and you've already got Duke out of the way. You didn't beat them, but that one's gone, that that game's already you know, happened. So after Saturday, like if they're able to win, which right now, the kin palm Formula projects a seventy eight to seventy three loss for Louisville, so a five point loss. But if they're able to win, like nobody should say, well they that means that they've shown that they're good enough to beat anybody left on the schedule. Therefore they should win out Like, I don't think we need to get I don't think anybody's going to get to that point. They're going to slip up lose to somebody. It's just going to happen. That's basketball. But I mean after Saturday, if they win there, I mean, I don't think it's crazy to look at not only this team as a team safely in the tournament. But again, maybe you start talking about getting a decent seed and they're doing all this beating teams by double digits, beating good teams by double digits, right, I mean making big comebacks. I'm not making me comebacks. But you know, withstanding some runs from other teams. That's what I meant to say, because last night Virginia made a little bit of a run and then Louisville quickly made one of their own and ended the game. Think against Carolina when you had them in town last week, Virginia. You just blew them off the floor. So they're doing all this and again things that you felt like we're gonna be really really important for this team to be good enough to make the tournament, to beat good teams. Those things aren't really working out right now, but it doesn't matter because they're playing so well. Everywhere else there clearly seems to be identified roles with this group. They're playing eight guys consistent minutes now because you've got Trail Ray back and he's clearly provided a whole lot of energy. I mean, I just don't I still don't know what the ceiling is, and I'm not sure we're ever really gonna know because of just how the ACC is this this year. But man, I'm starting to think not just hey, can they make the tournament. I'm starting to think, like, no, I know they can make the tournament. Let's see what kind of seed they can put together and.
Speaker 2: Maybe make a run.
Speaker 4: And maybe that's me getting way ahead of myself, but it's nice to at least be able to do that and not be a certified lunatic. Had we done that last year, you know at this time you would have been you would have you probably would have needed to be checked in, to be evaluated mentally, because you know, that wasn't real life. I thin guess at this point last year we were early. I mean, it was quite clear Louislle was not going to be a tournament team. So look, it's fun. I'm enjoying the ride, and I could tell a lot of Louisville fans are as well.
Speaker 2: The crowd that was there last night.
Speaker 4: In fact, I think it was a bigger crowd than what they had against Carolina as far as what was announced. So energy was great and it was it was awesome. I mean, what a night for Louisville. They win and their rival loses. Kentucky false eighty two to sixty nine on the road at Georgia. And again I try my best to kind of get a feel for how Kentucky fans view their team, and you know, because I think that's important to I mean, again, I'm gonna tell you what I think, but obviously, you know, Kentucky fans probably don't often think the way I do or share the same opinions that I have. But I think this Kentucky team has shown multiple times this year that when they get into a style, a pace that they like, and they are knocking down three point shots. They can play with anybody like. They're national championship contender when that happens. Right, the team they beat on Saturday, Florida, what did they do last night? They hosted Tennessee, the number one team in the country, who hadn't taken a loss until last night, and they beat them by thirty. So Kentucky's still really good. I think they know that, and they also know that they're vulnerable if things don't go their way right, if the game is a little bit slower, if it's really physical, then they may, you know, they may be in trouble. They may be really vulnerable to lose. And that's what happened last night. I did go back and watch a good chunk of that game. I did the what do you call it, the the condensed Yeah, the condensed version.
Speaker 2: I kind of skimmed through that. And you know, clearly, when.
Speaker 4: You got Kobe Brea shooting his rear end off one night and then the next night it's just not his night, that's going to change some things for you. He was two of nine last night, and look, they shot six of twenty five from three when Kentucky is shooting six of twenty five from three, and the game is played slow and the opponent is really using physicality to gain an edge. That's a recipe for Kentucky to lose a lot of games in the SEC one because that's a bad matchup for them, meaning that that's not where they When the game's played like that, they're they're not at their best, and night at a night out in the SEC this year, they're going to play some really good teams because that league is loaded, so great night for Louisville fans. Kentucky fans not so much. But I think they kind of know, hey, look, this is just a different world than what we used to have with Caliperry, meaning he could put endless amount of NBA talent out there, and you know, you're going to take your lumps, but in the end, if you're playing at your best, you're probably going to have better dudes than nearly everybody you play. That's so not what this Kentucky team is. They clearly have guys that you know, are veterans that have played a lot of college basketball that will not play in the NBA, and you know that just it's just a different world, and I think they. I think Kentucky fans like this team better than previous t teams just because of everything you know with Pope and and you know, just different. But if I was a Kentucky fan, what would worry me?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't be worried. Oh we stink, we're lousy? Are we gonna make the tournament? And I don't think their fans are thinking that. But I just think you have to look at the rest of your schedule and realize, yikes. I mean, if you if you're gonna lose by double ditch just to Georgia at their place and really never never feel like you're gonna win because they just got off to a good start and seemingly never looked back. What are you gonna do when you go on the road to play Mississippi State, who's a better version of Georgia and even more physical. They really like to slow it down and beat you up. Then you got A and M. Now that's in home. But they're a good team. You got Alabama at home. They're a top ten team.
Speaker 2: You can beat.
Speaker 4: They can look they can beat these teams clearly because they've beat Duke, they knocked off Florida. They beat Gonzaga. I mean they've they've shown they can win. But I just think it's quite obvious there's gonna be teams that know, hey, no, we don't want to do that. We don't want to get into a game that's got endless and countless possessions. We want to slow it down in and get physical with them because that's where they're vulnerable. And oh, by the way, that's what we like to do. That's where we are in our comfort zone. That's where we have our highest ceiling. So, you know, not to be so generic here and I should say general, but like, it really is just gonna be about matchups.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Florida is a team that when they're at their best, they're playing the same exact way Kentucky wants to play. Just turned out that Kentucky was better at it on that night in Lexington. So you know, I think teams like Mississippi State, Texas A, and M not great matchups. Kentucky could win. But like those teams, I think if they're able to get the game played the way they want to play it, it's going to be it's gonna be a tougher game for Kentucky, they're gonna be vulnerable to lose to those teams for a couple of reasons. One style, but also those teams are good. But then they've got Alabama at home, and I think it's another scenario where it kind of just turns out. It kind of just ends up being who's got the better night. Maybe the home crowd really gives you an edge because Alabama wants to do the exact same thing that that Kentucky wants to do. And maybe maybe on that day, Saturday, January eighteenth, maybe Kentucky you'll do it better, maybe Alabama will do it better. But then you get to teams like Tennessee Tennessee, and I don't I don't know enough about Vandy, but Tennessee's a team that they're they're not gonna want to play the same way Kentucky wants to play. They're going to slow it down like Rick Barnes did when when when he played Louisville. So last night kind of felt like the first big night where there's so many conference matchups going on in the Power Leagues, and uh, obviously if you're a Louisville fan, it worked out worked out good for you. All right, we got a lot of things we need to get into today. NFL playoffs will be here soon, in fact, just a few days away, and I've got I'm starting to get not worried. But like if Lamar Jackson and the Ravens somehow lose, which they easily could, like they're favored for good reason, they're playing a team with very little momentum. But like, I'm just not ready for the noise about Lamar Jackson not being as good of a quarterback as your eyeballs tell you because they lose to the Steelers in the playoffs, Like that doesn't really make any sense. Like he could play phenomenal, maybe have the best game of his career statistically, but if they lose, that will be the conversation. Yeah, Lamar, he's a good regular season quarterback, but he stinks in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Like that's just what people are going to say.
Speaker 5: Also, he hasn't been too great against Pittsburgh in his career too, so Mike Tomlin's defense seems to have his number.
Speaker 4: I mean, he just played phenomenal against him, didn't he couple weeks ago? Like I thought he had like a great game against him recently.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, the one on Christmas. Yes, that's yeah, but like he usually in that matchup, I'm pretty sure it's ass.
Speaker 2: And that's I mean, Tomlin, I feel like is the kind.
Speaker 4: Of guy that would would really thrive at at you know, making quarterbacks uncomfortable because you know that's kind of his his mo. But it doesn't matter, Like I'm to the point we're like even all that's true, like like the Ravens need to go win, like the whole like, well, I don't know, like and I here, I am doing it, I guess, and I tried to, you know, not even worry about it, like, oh no, they'll.
Speaker 2: They'll go win because they're better.
Speaker 4: But I guess I'm starting to at least fear what the reaction is going to be because it's gonna be so obvious. It's going to be all Lamar's fault regardless, and really that's his own fault for being so good. That's his own fault for having two MVP trophies, and just like that's the standard you've set. That's how it works at this level of pro sports. So also the college football playoff, we've got the press conferences that took place today. James Franklin said some stuff I want to get into because I don't think he's wrong, but curious to get your all thoughts.
Speaker 2: Now, if you are on hold, stick with us.
Speaker 4: We've got some callers on the line. I promise you, as soon as we get back from this break, we will get to you.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: Five two, five seventy nine hundred is the number. And if you're listening on the iHeart radio app, hit that talkback feature you can contribute to the show that way. Keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: So just a couple of couple of facts stats notes here from Kelly Dickey, UFL statistical guru, a great follow on Twitter at at Real Card Game, and we're gonna get the phone lines just a second bit.
Speaker 2: I do want to mention this just because it's awesome.
Speaker 4: Louisville has won double digit one games by double digits against four straight conference opponents with winning records for the first time since January of twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: So do with that whatever you want. But that's another sign.
Speaker 4: That it's this is this team's playing really good basketball right now.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna win the national champion.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: That's what happened in thirteen, So that's what's going to happen this year.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, this is a wild stat Louisville has two players with Hepburn and Hadley. I should have looked at Kelly Dicky's twitter at camp before I started the show today, because at that point I would have known that that there wasn't just one thirty thirty point performance so far this year, that Chucky also had one.
Speaker 2: However, Louisville having two players with thirty.
Speaker 4: Point games in the season, this is the first time that's happened since nineteen ninety three ninety four, and that was Dwayne Morden and Cliff rose Eer. So this team, man, they're playing really good basketball and I'm loving it.
Speaker 2: I really am. Let's go to the phone lines.
Speaker 4: Five two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys would like to jump in on the phone lines.
Speaker 2: Let's go to TD. What's happening, Welcome.
Speaker 6: In Coffee and Company. How are you having Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Doing well?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 6: Hey, I listen. I'm a huge, avid, long lifelong U of L fan and earlier I'm kind of paraphrasing, but you made the comment that if you this was kind of a stem from the win against Clemson last night. They're impressive win, and you said something the effect of if you focus maybe too much on UIL basketball, that it might not make for good radio, and they got me thinking. Yeah, it got me thinking though, because you know, and and I'm not a Matt Jones fan, I don't like the UK, I've never liked UK, and but I just wanted to get a sense for how you would compare your show to his or your listening audience. And do you tend to get the majority of UBIL fans or is it kind of split? And I'll let you chat even Ivan Lamar Jackson and the college football playoff. But I just thought to throw that out at you because it resonated with me. And I really appreciate all you guys do and say so thank.
Speaker 2: Thank you much appreciate the call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I tu this is actually a good question. I always like questions sort of about the show because it's something I enjoy talking about. It's something I care about a whole lot. But you know, it is a show, so I think it makes sense to kind of keep it flowing and do the show. But since you asked, I will gladly share with you sort of what I try to do with with KSR.
Speaker 2: That show is.
Speaker 4: And look, I get why people may not be a big fan of said show. I get why people may not be a big fan of Matt if you're a Louisville fan, because you know that he's really good at what he does trolling Louisville fans and being a Kentucky fan that has a huge platform, and you know we're rivals, so you know, I get it, But I think anybody who has listened to the show would would probably honestly, maybe you just don't like him, I don't know, but it's entertaining, and it's more entertainment than it is any It's an entertaining talk show where sports is certainly a component. The state of Kentucky is a big part of it, and of course UK stuff is a big part of it, and you know, make it or take you know, talking U of l is also a part of it too, because you know, that's it works, right, taking shots at Louisville and you know, making fun of the rival whenever you have the opportunity, and let's be real, we've given them many opportunities over the years. So you know, that was I guess them my disclaimer. But now that that's out of the way, that show is something that you don't see anywhere else, Like there's no other version of that elsewhere. Yeah, there are shows that probably have a big following for sports radio in this state that mostly Tennessee fans are mostly Arkansas fans or whatever, but not to the level of that show. And it's just, I mean it's different. I mean, Austin, you can attest to this. KSR is a different world when it comes to reach and just what it is. So one thing I am a little jealous of KSR is that they have a lot more components to it, right, like they've and I'm not calling these guys this to insult them. I mean it in a good way. They have characters within their show, right Channon Ryan obviously, Matt then and Drew who's now on the show I think regularly, maybe every day. So you know, I have never really had a whole lot to work with until you know, recently, Austin's been a big, big part of it. So we have a lot in common. Austin and I do same thing with the company man. So you know, I try to tell myself each day I've got three hours, and I realize if somebody's coming to a sports talk station, they they're there for sports content. But also, you know, I think there are certain things within the world of sports that I think it's hard to make it entertaining. At the end of the day, that's what this is entertainment. This is entertainment. We are entertainers. It sounds very cringe to say that out loud, but it's just the truth. Because since I've been in radio, to be honest with you, which been a long time now, I've been in iHeart for nine years. I've technically worked in radio in some former fashion for going on fourteen years of thirteen years something like that.
Speaker 2: So when you think about what radio.
Speaker 4: Once was, many many, many years ago, you used to come to the radio because you that's where you would get information. Didn't we didn't have the internet, right or you know, maybe we had the Internet, but we didn't have social media, So you know, info was this was. This platform here still reaches a ton of people and always will, but it's no longer because you need us to tell you what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world. We can do that.
Speaker 4: We we do do that, but now you can get that on your phone. So you have to you have to find ways to be entertaining. And that's not because you're busting jokes and you're just the funniest person ever. It's just because you're you're sharing interesting and you know, creative and creative, you know, interesting and entertaining things, and you're putting your own creativity on it. So you know, to answer your question, I mean, that's what I aim to do, is to just entertain as best we can. And some people may think, man, that's it's terrible because it's not entertaining at all. And if that's the case, you know, thank you for listening anyway, I suppose, But yes, there's not anything I'm probably gonna tell you on this show that you couldn't easily find out on your own, as far as like what's going on in sports, if that makes sense. So we try to entertain and have some fun, and clearly there's a lot of sports flavor, and I think there are certain days where we are going to be real heavy into like what's going on locally, for example, when Louisville Basketball was hiring a coach, Kentucky Basketball hired a coach. Like those are things, and those are things that really will dominate the show. And also it's things that you know, it's something that people who wouldn't regularly listen, people who don't listen every day because they're you know, they just don't listen to the radio a whole lot. But you know what, man, there's a coaching search going on. Or Cali Perry, he's out walking his dog in Lexington. Is he really leaving? This is crazy? Let's tune into a sports show. So you know, you try to balance it out. But yeah, I mean, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on with Noah Waterman? That's when you listen.
Speaker 4: To us, Yeah, exactly whenever I try to think of like days because I get his own head a lot with that kind of stuff, because I counsid here and talk a lot of basketball for three straight hours, and I'd be I mean, I would easily fill the time. But I just don't know how I would be able to do that, you know, and keep it interesting or entertaining, I should say. So, you know, and I know there are people that listen because they're they just are become they've become fans of the show. They like talk radio, and they're not huge Louisville fans. They just kind of casually root for Louisville and their transplants dif'from other cities. So I just try to, you know, I try to.
Speaker 2: I hate that we have.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know why we have, like target demos and whatnot. Like I understand all that, and it's it's important to target a specific demo so our sales team can go out and sell advertising to companies that want to reach that specific demo. So like, I understand how all it works. But I also hate in my mind doing a show thinking to myself, all right, I need to be focused on this certain group of people, because I feel like if you can make it very welcoming to a wide range of people, different ages, different different interests, that of stuff like, that's where you really have a chance to, you know, to make your show great, to reach to reach more people. So anyways, I hope I made some sense there, Like.
Speaker 5: You're also here in the studio today, so that means finally got your car out?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 2: Sul So?
Speaker 3: What went on with the whole driveway? Situation.
Speaker 5: Did you finally get that or did you happen to stumble upon somebody that was able to do it for you, or how'd you dig yourself out of year yard?
Speaker 4: I didn't do anything, okay at all. My wife came home and this I'm glad you asked because this is like my wife, her brother, my brother in law, Nate.
Speaker 3: He is.
Speaker 4: He's like the one of the best dudes in the world. Anybody who knows him would agree. He's very much a blue collar guy and he's you know, he's mister fixed It. He's he's an outdoorsman.
Speaker 2: He's he's he's.
Speaker 4: Big into hunting, like he has a lot his career path and his interests are much different than mine. Doesn't mean we're not super close. I love the guy, but you know, he he's always kind of been like, if something's not working at the house, instead of asking me, my wife's just gonna call her brother. And it's because you know, she's close with her brother. But like sometimes I'm like, honey, I can change the light bulb. We don't have to call your brother to come do it. That's an exaggeration. She's never done that, But like, you know, sometimes I wish she would at least let me see if maybe I could fix it, or maybe I would do it before she, you know, just assumes that she needs to rely on her brother. And he's the same thing, and he'll he'll always he'll always help because he's great, and clearly there are a lot of things that he he, he can do that I wouldn't even know where to start. But then there's other things, like, you know, like, so, here's what happened, and it just makes me feel like a piece of garbage. But this is how it played out. I barely got back in time to do the show because of my situation where my car got stuck sideways in my driveway on a hill. But you know, I got to work, so I came inside, fired up the equipment, we got the show started, and she knew, Hey, the car stuck and she wouldn't even be able to get up the driveway right.
Speaker 2: So we would have had.
Speaker 4: We not gotten it taken care of, we would have had my car just sitting sideways. Maybe you know, I don't think it would have moved, but like just sitting there not being able to move, stuck in the middle of the driveway in her vehicle which could get up the driveway because it's it's got it's better capable as far as handling this kind of weather. My car's blocking it and we can't move it. So we were in a tough spot. So she left work early. She came home and she called her brother, and I go out to just check on my car, like the four o'clock starting the four o'clock hour yesterday, and he's out there shoveling my driveway, you know, getting basically bailing us out. And my wife's out there helping him too, and you know, like here I am inside in the warm, now I'm working, so again, I'm doing my job like there's nothing I can do about it, like, but it just, you know, just made me feel worthless whenever I had no I didn't put I didn't break a sweat at all.
Speaker 3: There's no sweat out.
Speaker 2: And it was and it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Easy like they you know, I think there were probably like four different times they'd got it to where they felt like it was clear enough to where the car could get moved and get up the driveway. But at six o'clock when we ended the show, they were just now they were just then able to I guess get enough ice off the way to where they could get the get my.
Speaker 2: Vehicle back up into the garage.
Speaker 4: So but I will say I didn't want to leave yesterday, right, So maybe maybe she felt the need to get it fixed now because she thinks I'll never do it and I'm worthless.
Speaker 2: She's got to call her little brother.
Speaker 4: Uh, maybe she just realized, Hey, he did tell me that if I, if he leaves in the vehicle, his vehicle, that we will have a tough time getting back up the driveway. And that's that's exactly what happened. So anyways, that.
Speaker 2: That's how uh, that's how it worked out.
Speaker 4: And I left and came back today and was able to get up the driveway without issue. So uh, it was snowing when I walked in, though, So I don't know, maybe we've got like maybe we're getting like some unex like I'm not kidding you. I I was out early this morning. Yeah, and i've been you know, even when I was at home. I was upstairs where I can see outside, like it's been snowing all day wherever I've been bit but it doesn't look like it's building anything.
Speaker 2: So I guess that's good. It's not gonna Hopefully.
Speaker 3: That's a light little snowfall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hopefully doesn't impact the roads too bad. So anyways, all right, let's see here. I want to get to the talkback feature coming up here here. I am promoting this new way for you guys to interact on the show, and I've somehow locked myself out, so I have to reset my passport during.
Speaker 2: The break here. But that's okay.
Speaker 4: They'll be, they'll be, you know, there'll be some things we can play from that and give it a shot. Because again, if you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a new feature for you within the iHeart Radio app. If you listen live on the app, or if you click that little red circle at the top of the record button, that is you being able to tell us whatever you want, question, complaint, compliment, you can insult me if you'd like. And it's a really cool feature that you're not seeing anywhere else within what we do here in radio, and because of that we should embrace it. Here we are proud iHeart affiliates. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. I don't have a hard time thinking there's any truth to this. But maybe I'm wrong Bill Belichick. Maybe he never coaches a game at Carolina because now NFL teams are interested.
Speaker 2: Of course, it can't be a thing, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's like when you see someone's finally taken, that's when you want them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that's true that they see.
Speaker 5: Him like, oh he's in college now, yeah, you can just poach him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just interesting.
Speaker 4: I think going in that direction right now in the NFL, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But you know, he's he's a guy that has a lot of Super Bowls and that carries a lot of weight when it comes to checking resumes and credentials for those that maybe fit to uh to run an NFL team.
Speaker 5: Funny, if all that was for nothing, the whole I know, that would be It would be so embarrassing for Carolina, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: That would be great?
Speaker 4: All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling rolling along. It's coffee and Company, and we are feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: So may this may not shock any of you, but I don't and have never had an agent, and I probably never will. Not sure why I wouldever need one, And I've always felt like maybe they're not worthy of what they get as far as you know, the percentages and all that. I mean, I guess you know they are there to look out for your best interest and you know, not to say they don't matter, but I've never really understood. You know, Lamar Jackson is a good example. I think his you know, the PR the optics didn't play out well for him during that, but you know, he's in a great position and he has been consistent he never wanted an agent, and he's doing okay. But I you know, long story short, I think I've been reminded why agents have value, because they can influence the air. They can control what is being said about their client, even if it's you know, not true. Now, sometimes an agent can't bail you out if you've got a story out there from a PR perspective.
Speaker 2: That's a nightmare. I mean, they're not able to do that.
Speaker 4: But right now, Bill Belichick, I mean, he had no interest from the NFL, which he was bothered by, surprised by. Therefore, he wanted to go to the college route and show, hey, you know I can still get it done. I'm still a great coach. That was reportedly what led to him wanting to go to college is because he wasn't getting much bites in the NFL. And you know, it's a network, right, he knew, everybody knew which jobs were going to be open hex some of the jobs opened up during the season, and clearly Belichick did not feel like he had he had a chance to getting one of those jobs, because he decided to take the North Carolina job, which still just doesn't even seem real, but it's real. So now we're supposed to believe that after he took the Carolina job that now NFL teams are interested, Like I just don't believe that. Now the athletic is reporting it was of all teams, the Raiders that that you know wanted to to talk to him, which is essentially Tom Brady, who, of course, I mean, but don't they hate each other like I mean the and by the way, that was a late that was a late firing. I mean, I guess it wasn't too late. I mean that didn't happen until yesterday, right, Pierce gets fired. So Tuesday, Yeah, Black Tuesday. So you know, maybe they weren't anticipating making a change and then they did, and then you know, they actually would be the one school or the one team that would have wanted Belichick had he not gone to Carolina, Like.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Again, I just Brady owns the Raiders. He's one of the many owners of the team. He's going to be the guy interviewing coaches and having an influence and said decision. Like I think both like why would Tom. Maybe maybe Brady would want Belichick because he would be able to say that he gave him a job when nobody else would Like.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it.
Speaker 4: But with Belichick, like you probably want to prove a lot of doubters wrong. You probably never will be able to in the NFL, but of all places to do it, you want to go do it for a team that Tom Brady owns, Like these two guys clearly did not. You know, I think there's there's respect there because you know, they just respect each other in their world of football competition that kind of stuff. But yeah, that didn't end well. I mean, let's be honest, it didn't end well. Yeah, and you know Brady wanted to stick it to him in Tampa and he did exactly that. I do think that you could you could sense that, maybe you know, the roast of Tom Brady on Netflix, which Belichick was a part of that, I think without really not even anything that was said, but I think that whole experience and kind of seeing both of them in that moment, you can you can feel that there's there's clearly tension. Yeah, like they they're not gonna fight each other, They're not gonna go all out. I mean, they're not gonna go public and bash each other, but like there's just something there. So I just I don't know why. I don't know why Belichick would even entertain that.
Speaker 5: So in like the last few years of Belichick in and or Brady with Belichick in the Patriots, because there's always something that comes up with the Patriots and there's a weird love triangle between the Robert Kraft added into it too, because Tom was still kind of angry that they signed, that they even drafted Jimmy Garoppolo in the first place.
Speaker 3: And then when.
Speaker 4: That's when it got that's when it got dicey, is that that that Bill wanted wanted to more so quickly move to Garoppolo and Craft basically listened to Brady and decided to get rid of Garoppolo, and then it really just created some big Yeah, it was just kind of done at that point as far as you know, as far as the you know, I mean, I think they actually still stuck around to they win another super Bowl together.
Speaker 5: Yeah they did, yeah, I think yeah. Earlier, Yeah, I think is when that happened and they go and win the super Bowl. Every time that the Patriots win a super Bowl, there's always something, yes, that happened.
Speaker 4: So clearly, you know, they were still able to succeed, but like it just was not a great working relationship, which is again why Brady left to go play elsewhere and he won a super Bowl. So the agent clearly is putting this out there. I mean I shouldn't say I know that for fact, but like it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you think about it. And speaking of that, another agent that I have to give a lot of credit to is whoever is the agent of Mike McCarthy. I mean, he's been for what three years now, lucky to keep his job. It's been a big talking point. Will Jerry ever get rid of him? Get rid of this guy?
Speaker 2: He's a bum.
Speaker 3: I don't know how he's still there.
Speaker 2: So I'm supposed to believe that the Bears.
Speaker 4: Wanted to interview him and they were denied, Like, I guess that's something that could be checked, Like that's something that it would be hard to just make up because I guess the Bears can say, uh, yeah, we didn't request to interview him.
Speaker 2: Why would we do that? So maybe there is some truth to it, But like.
Speaker 4: It getting out there and it being in the news wire like it is, and it being discussed the way it is by the loud mouse that covered the NFL like chefty, they're getting all that from agents, like that's to make McCarthy look good, because the Bears, I don't believe that they would want to interview him.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm wrong. They certainly wouldn't hire him.
Speaker 3: That would be such a weird fit.
Speaker 4: It was, well, it would just like he wasn't good at the end of is Green Bay tenure? Yeah, and he's not been good in Dallas. He's been there since twenty twenty and.
Speaker 2: He's he's they I mean they've.
Speaker 4: This is not just him, clearly, other coaches have had the same sort of you know, vibe to him.
Speaker 2: But like they've underachieved in Dallas.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think they've won a playoff game with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it won. No, he's not won a playoff game at Aallas game in Dallas, he lost, he lost.
Speaker 4: He just finished his fifth year and he's gone to the playoffs three times, and he lost to the Niners in the wild card game in twenty one, he lost to the Niners in the divisional game in twenty two, and he lost to the Packers last year in the wild card game. So when Dak was having a great season, yeah, I mean, look, I'm sorry. He did win one game they beat in twenty twenty two. They beat somebody to get to the NFC Divisional round. But either way, like Mike McCarthy's a guy that had a long tenure in Green Bay and he was successful there, did have a Super Bowl, but you know, didn't finish strong and was out of the league for a year or two and then Dallas hires him. And I'm not sure many would call his stint they're remotely successful given the standard an expectation for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just I think agents are way more able to kind of float fake stuff than we realize. I mean, there's certain things that when they get out there, like you just know where it's coming from. And that doesn't like sometimes like they're just they're breaking legitimate news, like hey, my client just signed this deal for this amount of money. These are the terms, Go ahead and break it that. That's just you, you know, honestly, that's you showing off. If it's a big impressive deal, everybody's going to think about, Wow, that team paid big bucks for this guy, or this guy just became stupid rich forever. But the agent's thinking, yeah, it's all me. I did that because technically, you know, they are the Their job is to to always be trying to get an advantage for their client in some form or fashion. And you know that's why. I mean, if you think about it, these coaches that get extensions for seemingly no reason, these coaches that get you know, raises, you know, they're I feel like it's more in college than it is anything else. But you see a story this school has extended their coach to this point or this school has decided, you know, has has added some kind of stipulation to the contract. Like a lot of times that's not necessarily needed. But you know why it happens, because the agent's job is to never be satisfied, always be trying to find a way where you can make a case and make a claim true or not, that your client is deserving of more. And if you're not going to give them more, just know that there's somebody else out there will All that could be nonsense and not true, but again that's an agent's job, so you know, more power to them. Maybe I you know, I don't. I don't even know why wouldever need one. But like if I could get one, hell yeah, but I don't, you know, they'd have to do it for you know, maybe some free Thornton swag because I don't make enough money to where I could give anybody any kind of cut.
Speaker 5: Imagine me hitting you up, like, hey, Nick, you want to go to a you want to go to a Louisville basketball game?
Speaker 3: Talk my agent?
Speaker 2: I mean I can't. I wouldn't. By the way, if I ever get an agent, just know you don't have to have to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't have to get you.
Speaker 2: You would be.
Speaker 4: Able to be in direct contact with me. So just know that people won't have to talk. That's how that's how highly I think of you. I mean you go, Austin was was alongside last night for for the whole family there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whole family went to the game.
Speaker 3: Whole family.
Speaker 2: We got to meet Moose and Maya. How sweet was my dude?
Speaker 3: Made my night?
Speaker 5: I show, I go, I go to give you a dap up and go to a hug the wonderful Tiffany and she's she snipes Tiffany hug she got, I'm going to give him a hug and that just that just made my whole night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's she's a sweetheart and that that's a good sign. She just met Austin for the first time and she knew we were all going our separate ways after the game, and uh, you know, she wanted to make it clear, I need a hug.
Speaker 2: Before you get out of here. So that doesn't need a hug. Good man.
Speaker 4: You you were the sad sad fan for a long time where you had told me that you've gone to Louisville games and every time you go they lose. Yeah, and we've gone to back to back home games. And how about the vibes man.
Speaker 5: There's Miller lights, there's Bush lights. That right, there's Moose on the Jumbo trump.
Speaker 4: That's right, Moose was getting rowdy, like, how about Moose? Wording is Javon Hadley Jersey for the Javon Hadley game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right there, he could have.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure Hadley like saw him too, because we all had to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, had he had to have been a he.
Speaker 4: And by the way, the score Louisville was down four whenever they put him up on the on the big screen, Moose and then and then Louisville took over, Like, I don't think that's a coincidence that then they took over.
Speaker 3: The place went crazy and he got to meet Cassan too.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: What a night.
Speaker 5: They need to make a movie about that. Moose's night out on the town.
Speaker 2: He's he's living his best life.
Speaker 4: I don't think the kid realizes how how how awesome he's got it, and uh, you know, he's a lot of fun. All right, We got to get to a break. If you're on hold, first person up will be Jerry when we come back. So if you're on hold. Stick around. We'll get to your phone calls. On the other side, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here On Sports Talk seven ninety
Speaker 3: A still sad a