Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, what else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 1: Wow? Five people have been charged in connection with Matthew Perry's death from that ketamine overdose last year, including the actors, live in assistant and two medical doctors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we learned that listening to the news conference earlier. In US Attorney Martin Estrada also detailed just the money that was exchanged for these vials of ketamine, to the tune of nearly seventy thousand dollars in cash that Matthew Perry paid to get a hold of the kedemine.
Speaker 1: It seems like it all happened in that one minute.
Speaker 2: One month in October.
Speaker 1: He was getting ketamine treatment under medical supervision and intravenously and wanted more, and the doctors treating him said, no, that's a problem, We're not going to do that. So he was drawn to the reat ketamine operation and they were charging him two thousand dollars of vile when this street cost was twelve dollars a vile. So a lot of people facing a lot of real time in connection.
Speaker 3: With that death, including a woman who goes by the Ketamine queen. Go by the name Ketemine Queen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dream Big Kids.
Speaker 1: Hurricane Ernesto has dropped torential rain on Puerto Rico, knocked out power for nearly half of all customers there on Puerto Rico as it strengthens into a major hurricane en route to Bermuda.
Speaker 2: You know some places just can't get a break through a hurricanes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I visited perto Rico last year for my first time. I loved it. Yeah, beautiful. Yeah, I'd love to go. Yeah, it's really pretty.
Speaker 1: Schools have all been closed and we're going to probably get some rain, but it's going to miss the mainland US. Jd Vance has accepted a vice presidential debate with Tim Walls. The showdown will be October first. There may be more, but just one decided upon at the moment.
Speaker 2: He says he wants more. Also something too.
Speaker 3: I keep forgetting that the networks are hosting these debates now it's no longer who was doing it before the Commission what's the full name, Oh yeah, they're the Nonpartisan Commission on presidential debates and you will call back. In twenty twenty two, the RNC voted to ban the GOP nominees from participating in debates hosted by that commission. So now it's like up to you know, CNN and Fox News whomever to host these debates.
Speaker 2: What does that commission do anymore? I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. This debate's going to be fiery between these two.
Speaker 3: I think I'm really looking forward to hearing the two of them. Yeah, me too, talk talk about you know, military service and record and you know, what were you doing before now for your stat as governor, for your you know, your your state as a center. They've both gotten heat for the stolen valor as they call it, because jd. Vance worked in public relations. I believe the Marines and Tim Walls never saw theater combat as well, So the two of them have both been kind of taken to task and veterans say, for by and large, from what I've read, stand down, like if you sign up to serve in the military, there are.
Speaker 2: So many jobs in the military.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I would be in the band, although I have no you know, music experience with the instrument.
Speaker 2: But you chose the band. Yeah, that seems like a cool job, Like.
Speaker 3: At an inauguration day they're marching and playing instruments.
Speaker 1: I could probably iron the uniforms.
Speaker 2: Probably a job.
Speaker 1: North America's first zero emission passenger train has come to sam Bernardino County.
Speaker 2: It's called ZMU.
Speaker 1: The acronym okay, uses hybrid hydrogen and battery technology to power the train. It's going to transport passengers on rail lines between sam Bernardino and Redlands.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there you have it. Maybe that'll be the future. Debra, do we go?
Speaker 1: Should we go to the earthquake desk for the update on the three point nine?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 3: Am.
Speaker 4: She's been bothering herre I need to be more mature when it comes to her.
Speaker 1: I think I should tell I think I should tell this story on the air.
Speaker 2: You should tell her. Okay.
Speaker 1: So Deborah was going she wanted the job to anchor with John and Ken, and I was here and I had recently had that job, and so I was talking to our boss Robin about it. And Robin's thing has always been like, who does she want here and on the anchor desk when the big one hits? And I said to her, And this was years ago, and I said to her, you know, I really like Deborah for this role, Like I think Deborah Mark would be great. And you always say, you know, when the big one hits, who do you want? And I was, like, you want Deborah Mark? When the big one hits that little did I know.
Speaker 2: That Deborah loses.
Speaker 1: Her freaking mind over like a three point two. I had no idea.
Speaker 4: I absolutely hate earthquakes. But after Shannon told me that story, I said, Okay.
Speaker 2: Do you freak out or is it mostly the dogs?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I freaking out? Oh?
Speaker 4: I absolutely And unfortunately my kids hate earthquakes too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's always so quick. I mean, but you all keep saying that one, the big.
Speaker 4: One, but it's not about Okay, Leila, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to here five years now. I know enough about earthquakes. I can tell you the strength when I fill them now.
Speaker 4: But you know what, if we can just settle on a four to four like we had Monday, I'm cool with that, then I'd probably be okay and I would enjoy the rolling, right, But I'm always worried that it's going to intensify and it's going to be the big one and my house is going to fall on top of me, or the freeways are gonna buckle down. Yeah, that's where I go. It's not about the little ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you catastrophize. I have that.
Speaker 1: Gary always says to me when we're sitting here in the earthquake kids, and he goes, why are you looking at me like that? And it's because, Sebra, I'm doing the same thing you are. I'm like, yes, this is starting off slow, but what if it intensifies.
Speaker 2: Rarely does that happen.
Speaker 1: I feel like in my experience, if it's a big one, it's big right away.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: But then also, you know, we have these four shocks, right, so maybe we have this little you know, four point four.
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't so little, and then.
Speaker 4: You know we're dealing with that, and then all of a sudden, damn we got the seven to five.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, one of the faces of the Olympics, one of the memes that we can't get away from, as you pointed out so well earlier, is Rachel Gunn aka Began b Girl, Reagan b Girl. I guess just means breaking dancing girl, break girl. Okay, Well, she went to the Olympics to perform I guess we'll use that term loosely break dancing for her country of Australia, and it was an unmitigated disaster. She's thirty six. She's actually a lecturer at a university.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's going to be hard to go back in front of the students. It will be. But how cool is that?
Speaker 1: Like if you turned up at the Olympics, your students at LMU would be stoked. Even if you went to the Olympics and totally crapped the bed.
Speaker 3: I think in front of them they're like, oh, professor, that was so cool. But when I turned my back in the class, they were like passing notes and laughing, right, because this generation is very honest with you.
Speaker 2: They are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that would not go overwhelm.
Speaker 2: But why are they so honest?
Speaker 1: Is it because like, feelings have been completely taboo for so long and now you can talk about them and you can just be honest about everything.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't know. Maybe because they spent a few years in the house.
Speaker 3: There's like you just say what you think now, it's not like you really think about the person's feelings.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's like a talk show who knows, So she notched straight three straight losses. I don't think she earned a single point in her round robin portion of breaking competition. In Paris, she was up against somebody from the United States, France, and Lithuania, and her moves turned her into a meme. And at first she thought that it was it was nice, it was kind of cool that she brought a smile to people's face. But now she's going online and asking people to please stop being such a holes that she's getting like threats and people are going after her family, and it's it's just it's too much, she says, please stop. There are petitions about her making their way around the internet. She says, I was able to appreciate the positivity and bring some joy into people's lives, and that's what I hoped for. But then the mean people came out, she said. I didn't realize it was going to open the door to so much hate. It's been devastating, she said. I went out there and I had fun. I did take it very seriously. I worked my butt off preparing for the Olympics. I gave my all, truly. I'm proud to be a member of the Australian Olympic team.
Speaker 3: And then her father in law speaking out and other family members are talking out today about her father in law, Andrew Free, the dad of her her husband, saying that the judges and their assessment of her routine they weren't they weren't fair and it was a pretty stack competition. First of all, I wouldn't call it stat competition. I saw all the dancers and great for them from making to the Olympics. I think if they're gonna put this back in in the future, we need some clear understanding as the audience on what they're looking for, like how these folks got there.
Speaker 2: Well, it was the first.
Speaker 1: Time, so like when we're watching gymnastics, the commentators are able to say, now that was a I'm gonna make something up three point turn, and that was a double barreled backflip, and that's important because they get three points for that, and like the difficulty level of But this is so new, I don't think anyone knew what they were talking.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the Olympics. You had four years to figure it out from the last one, Like what your plan was? Right, this is ridiculous And so for her now she's got this video on and Instagram and she's telling people like, you know, she's explaining herself and she looks all sad and.
Speaker 2: She's like the forlorn videos.
Speaker 3: Well, she should have taken the comments off because people don't care. They're calling for an investigation on how.
Speaker 2: She got there. Their point is, ma'am you trained for this?
Speaker 3: And when you watch that performance she gave, I thought she was just freestyling, like the little the.
Speaker 1: Move was choreographed, a little move that.
Speaker 2: The toddlers do when they're man.
Speaker 3: They screwed around in a circle like I've seen. I'm not being funny, I've seen. I've literally seen that with friends kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure there are experts at that little circle term on the shoulder, yes, And there was there was no like you know, flip or stand or And I don't know if she's even trained as like a breakdancer.
Speaker 2: I thought she was more of.
Speaker 3: Like a robot classicle or I don't know, some other kind of dancer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got a message from one of our listeners that said that one of her friends is Australian and it's kind of a classic thing to be over confident first. And I don't know anything about Australian women. So don't get mad at me. This is just don't shoot the messenger. But that it's an overconfidence thing, and that kind of rang true to me because when I saw that, and I saw the look on her face after she was done, and she was like proud of herself, proud of that in that.
Speaker 3: Golf outfit, she she thought she came out there and killed it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know what happened.
Speaker 1: So like every team they watched tape right on there on who the next team they're going to face, they spend all week. And if you've got four years to prepare for the Olympics, she just four years looking at tape of your competitor, who you're up against. And if I saw tape of if I knew my skill level was what hers was, and I saw tape about what the other skill level.
Speaker 2: Was, there's no way at hell I'm going to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Em just for the sake of saying I'm going to the Olympics because I don't want to embarrass myself.
Speaker 2: Or that's all we're talking about now.
Speaker 3: I can't even remember the person who beat her and who won, Like who was that person? Everyone's talking about this and it it I think for people who take break dancing very seriously, not saying she doesn't, but people who take it very seriously. It was almost a mockery of the art form. It was, you know, people spend years learning how to perfect these moves, and none of what she did. I'd never seen any of this stuff before.
Speaker 1: They say that the breaking will not be featured in the twenty twenty eight Olympics, which will be held in Los Angeles. They say that's ironic because it's been flourishing in New York other cities since the nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but those folks weren't there, that's true. You know, back in the eighties when my my sister, older sister and her friends were breaking, and you know, we see people doing the movies, it was cool and I wanted to learning, and they had these you know, these tricks and cool things they do.
Speaker 2: I didn't see any of that.
Speaker 3: I I saw people skipping around and rolling on their back, like I said.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, three year ol, I did not have either.
Speaker 3: I think what softball and baseball are coming back though with la h yes, which yes, that'll be fine. Other some other sports. Yeah, so sorry, sorry, Rachel, Reygun.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I hope you have a great school year. Reygun. She'll be fine. She'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I think she's old enough to weather this storm. Thirty six is old enough to.
Speaker 2: She will forever have those memes, so.
Speaker 1: You I know, they don't go away. That's unfortunate. Two Space is out of the tube. It's time for strange science. Strange Yah, it's like weird science, but strange. Are you watching Law and Order there, Jacob, he's talking to you?
Speaker 2: Or which one cso with iced tea?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: The original? It's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love an original Law and Order. I mean, I love all of them, but that was probably my favorite. Did they catch the guy yet or no, they're still looking for m Okay. Yeah, it's still early in the hours, so about twenty three minutes left of that episode. NASA is expecting to make a final decision before the end of the month as to when and how to bring home those two stranded astronauts. They've been stuck there for more than two months after leaving for just an eight day trip.
Speaker 3: How does a week and a half night and week and a half, a week and a day trip turn into an eight month trip.
Speaker 1: Alex Stone yesterday brought up an interesting point underwear.
Speaker 2: You're going somewhere for eight days.
Speaker 1: You're probably gonna pack pack ten pairs of underwear, right because we all launch a little extra no laundry in space and no laundry in space, so you're in the same underwear you've been in since June.
Speaker 3: They're probably up there just in their minds. There's no plan really to bring you home. They have options. One is the SpaceX Dragon capsule that's supposed to launch with new crew members now going up maybe with two and then you know, they can join them at the International Space Station and then when that trip is up, then they'll go back with them. But that extend your trip, you know, like another six months, which is not the plan.
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've seen all the astronaut movies, the good ones, not the ones with Sandra Bullock, and I feel like part of the message that they hammer home in those movies is we prepare for every eventuality, We prepare for every problem. Like what astronauts do the majority of time is troubleshoot and figure out ways out of issues. This is implausible to me that because I've watched all those movies. I think NASA is just the smartest place in the world. And why would they find themselves in a pickle?
Speaker 3: Well, the star Liner, I wouldn't want to take that back because it just seems like it has too much damage.
Speaker 2: Boeing is in charge at the Starline. There's that too, and you wonder how much that's playing into this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it feels like, you know, we don't know. It has a couple of issues. We don't think it's too dangerous, but we're not sure it's gonna be the safest way back home.
Speaker 1: So the prolonged stay, while not deadly, could have a major impact on their bodies. Of course, astronauts have spent long stretches in space before last month, NASA astronaut Frank Rubio returned from space after three hundred and seventy one days. That was the single longest space flight by an American. And they say according to NASCA NASA, the risk of cancer, heart disease, and cataracts increases because of the radiation in space.
Speaker 2: No thank you.
Speaker 3: Also, your muscles get weaker, your bones grow, weak, bones, loose density.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, your muscles will shrink, they say, There is exercise equipment on board the ISS, but not enough to perfectly maintain and explorers muscles. Astronauts spend at least two hours per day working out to prevent the muscle loss.
Speaker 3: They're not doing that they're talking about at this point, they're over it. They're like, what is the plan? I should have been home already. Oh, they're just letting themselves know. They're probably our cameras like watching right now. They have these little cameras check and we can check in and see what they're doing. I want to ask about the underwear situation. Space eyes poor eyesight after being in space. Our hearts shrink while we're in space. That's a problem. And then the main issue is once they return to Earth they report having smaller and weaker hearts.
Speaker 1: Ooh, constipation becomes a problem.
Speaker 3: The problem.
Speaker 1: Without the assistance of gravity, food has a hard time working its way through the body. They say that astronauts do maintain a special diet. They often lose five percent of their body weight during a four to six months stay. That's all five percent. I guess you're not moving around that much.
Speaker 3: Well, you said they're doing two hours a day on the elliptical or whatever they have of there.
Speaker 1: For just iron is an issue. It accumulates in the body because blood is just floating around, not pumping as hard.
Speaker 2: And you couldn't convince me, no, I'm just cool. I thought it.
Speaker 1: I got to sound great to be stranded out there.
Speaker 2: I did. And now that I'm reading this, they want to.
Speaker 1: Be a crumpled, constipated iron.
Speaker 3: They can't get back home being Yeah, that's awful, you're stuck now.
Speaker 1: Taylor Swift, her lyrics in videos are helping fans cope with body image issues. She has these lyrics and things peppered throughout her songs. In her documentary Miss Americana, she discussed how she had to deal with hurtful words from the press and people's comments on social media. There were some food and science researchers at the University of Vermont who kind of seized on this and they wanted to understand it. So they searched through TikTok and read it. They went through all these posts and coded for the themes that they saw. They found that is a role model for those dealing with negative food issues, that her transparency on the topic destigmatizes eating disorders.
Speaker 3: You probably don't need research for that. I mean, I feel like, no, I think these I think these.
Speaker 1: Researchers just wanted to f around on TikTok or get some tickets for Swift concerts.
Speaker 3: Butketle will tell you from their own experience, if someone is speaking to an issue that they're having, and they can relate to that singer or whomever, and it might help them realize, like, hey, I'm not in this fight alone. Whether it's an eating disorder or you know, or another mental health issue, it's right. Just the relatability really anything. Yeah, that's true. In her lyrics You're on your own kid, she talks about the mental anguish many of her fans have struggle with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: That's just you don't know, that's sowing up. I don't know that song either, and.
Speaker 2: Some of her other you know, older stuff. I went with a girlfriend and her daughter. Oh you did go, that's right? How was it? It was good?
Speaker 1: It was insanity. It was like I would imagine a cult. I didn't go to a big college football school, but I've seen those games and how crazy people get, and it was that kind of vibe. It was at Levi's Stadium up where the forty nine ers play, so I know it well. I've gone to NFC Championship games there. It has never been that insane. I mean the seats, my seat, even we were standing, all the entire stands were shaking because these kids never sat down and they're all dancing.
Speaker 2: And they're insane. How was your friend's daughter shame?
Speaker 1: I kind of just know she was chill. She was kind of like it all in, yeah, but I was. I was surprised by the number of songs that I did not know.
Speaker 3: I always look for the clips when they're online of the little kids who get the hats. Then no, Kobe's daughter got oh right at the show. But I always look at that clip because it always seem like the kids still, you know, so excited to see Taylor that close and get hurt her black.
Speaker 1: How do you come back from that moment as a young girl, Taylor Swift chooses you to give the hat to and.
Speaker 2: You walk around the house in that hat.
Speaker 3: You tell your parents, I don't do chores anymore because I have Taylor's hat.
Speaker 1: Exactly what monster she's making one of these children? Okay, we are in the midst of a strange science. I remember engaging in the Science Fair as a youth.
Speaker 2: It was scary for me. I never did well.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever received a ribbon or you know, a certificate for a good job on your science project, because it probably was terrible and sucked.
Speaker 1: I think I got third place one year. Yeah, well creative one of the.
Speaker 2: Breaks on smart but thank you.
Speaker 1: It was the science experiment was do we have better balance with our eyes open or closed?
Speaker 2: And what did you do for your What I did.
Speaker 1: Is I would have I remember the board, you know, the three paneled board or whatever I saw, like to draw on them.
Speaker 2: That was my thing.
Speaker 1: I had less science, more.
Speaker 2: Creative stand up at the science Sure, stand it.
Speaker 1: Up, you know, and and I would have I had subjects, my friends come in, and I would have them balance on one leg and then I'd say, now close your eyes and would see how they could balance with their eyes open, their eyes closed, and male little graph and the whole thing.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the outcome.
Speaker 1: I think I feel like it's common sense that you would balance better with your eyes open. I mean, that sounds pretty stupid to me on a baseline hypothesis.
Speaker 2: But you've seen the studies that people get paid to do all the time.
Speaker 1: Right, like the women in Vermont who studied Taylor Swift lyrics, right, or someone who's like, how addictive is chocolate?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: You're right, you know, on the study for the next year with different chocolate bars.
Speaker 2: You know, cheese is more filling. You're right. I am. I am a trailblazer in the scientific world.
Speaker 3: No, these kids are, yes, they are their team.
Speaker 1: Well they're from Texas, right, yes, yeah, Woodlands, Texas. And they invented with their Science Fair project that they're posing in front of, much more detailed than than the ones I remember. But they invented a unique water filtration device that uses a wall of sound to hold back microplastic particles from running water.
Speaker 3: And doing this, they've managed to capture as much as ninety four percent of microplastic containments by pushing them away from the water's outflow point.
Speaker 2: Their goal, they hope.
Speaker 3: Is that this technology can be used in wastewater treatment plants as well as industrial textile plants and rural water sources. They're thinking really big and deep and that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, and this is something everyone's talking about right now. These microplastic particles raining down from that jet stream blowing up to the summit of Everest, located at the deepest points of the ocean. Once ingested by humans, they've been found to infiltrate every organ that has been so far examined for them.
Speaker 3: Now, they were here in LA for the big presentation of the awards, and you mentioned earlier they won some big.
Speaker 1: Money, fifty thousand dollars. What do you do with fifty thousand dollars if you are a young scientist.
Speaker 3: Right living at home, not paying bills and all that good stuff. I don't know, video games, maybe junk food. Now that I'm I'm like invested in something, you know, But back then, I mean, who knows what you're thinking at sixteen or however, Oh, they are.
Speaker 2: Gift cards to their favorite fast food place. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they're thinking big, like oh, this is for college. Or they're probably doing something smart with their money, unlike things that we would do.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Well, Leila, this has been so much, it's been wonderful, really long.
Speaker 3: We should come in here and hang out with you. It's been a minute since I've seen you. I know, we got to I hear you. I will text you when I occasionally when I'm listening to the show. I'll text you I appreciated it.
Speaker 1: Where you texted earlier this week about the protest on the four oh five and things to your hell, it.
Speaker 3: Was because, you know, and I was heading in the opposite direction. I was heading northbound, and I believe the protesters had shut down the southbound side, but it was right where I was trying to get on it, so I had to do all the detours around the smaller streets.
Speaker 2: But again, people have the right to protest.
Speaker 3: That's fine, you want to exercise your right to vois your opinion, But why the four oh five.
Speaker 2: Don't do it on the forest five. Don't do it on the four all five during rush hour.
Speaker 3: Please pick somewhere else because the people you know who will hear your concerns aren't on the foural five.
Speaker 1: No one's gonna have any compassion for you screwing up their commute already, and it's already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, every day it was, But I was able to detour and make it to I had a live segment I had to get to, and I made it there early and plenty of time. But still I'm like, you know, listen, four or five, it's even like even when the Vice president comes to town and goes to her Brentwood home. Yeah, I'm like, madam vice President, if you don't pick another time besides eight am to catch your flight, like, do not I shut.
Speaker 2: Down the four five between rushot where it's like, do not do that.
Speaker 1: The hate transcends any political party for me when anybody comes to town. Leila Mohammed, you can find her on social media at Leila Mohammad TV. You can catch her on NBC and you can if you want to have her.
Speaker 2: As your few does.
Speaker 1: I don't need any more students, but thank you, No, don't we We're full.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app