Speaker 1: Florence is one of the most visited cities in Italy, but most people see about one square kilometer of it. Today, Francesca of Florentine Guide takes us across the river, into the Aison workshops and up to the hill where the city's Iris Garden opens for just a few weeks a year. This is what a real day in Florence, one of the world's most beautiful cities, looks like.
Speaker 2: Tawatuti and Benvenuti Tuan told Italy. The travel podcast to where you go to the towns and villages, mountains and lakes, hills and coastlines of Bela, Italia. Each week, your host Katie Clark takes you on a journey in a search of magical landscapes, history, culture, wine, gelato, and of course a whole lot of pasta. If you're dreaming of Italy and planning future adventures there, you've come to the right place.
Speaker 1: Jao Dudi and Ben Venuti, Welcome to episode three hundred and twenty six of the Untold Italy podcast. I'm Katie, your host and founder of Untold Italy. Now I know what you might be thinking. Oh Florence, She's surely she's covered Florence before, and yes, of course I have many times. But today we're doing something a little bit different because as part of our Perfect Day series, where I ask people who actually live in these cities to map out how they would spend a glorious day in their city as a visitor. It's not a press trip, it's not a standard tour. It's a real day, the way someone who knows a city deeply and who loves it would actually approach it if they were to show a friend around and give them the very best of their city. And today's gest is Francesca Emini, a licensed Florentine guide who, despite traveling the world and visiting many places, has an unshakable love for her city. Francesca studying foreign language literature and cultural anthropology right in the heart of Florence when she was growing up, and she's worked on cruise ships with NGOs across the world, but in the end, she kept coming back to her own city, because that is what Florence does to people. If you know, you know Franjessica has that beautiful, lyrical Italian way of describing her city, and this conversation made me just want to get on a plane straight away. A quick note before we start. As we curate our episodes here on Untold Italy, I'm always thinking about how we can help you enjoy your trips to Italy, whether you're traveling independently or on a tour. It may be practical information or something esoteric and beautiful like our episode today. The best way I know how to help you enjoy Italy is to introduce you to locals, the real people, tour guides, artisans, hotel owners, the Untold Italy team and fellow travelers. We do not keep our knowledge. We like to share it far and wide, So if you were pre ciate that approach, it would be wonderful if you could leave us a lovely review. We so appreciate it and read every single one. So now it is time to meet Francesca and take you on a journey to one of the world's most beautiful cities and one that keeps drawing travelers back again and again. Ben Venuto, Francesca, Welcome to the Untolevidshlee podcast.
Speaker 3: Very very happy to be here with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Francesca is joining us from beautiful Frenze or Florence And how is everything in Florence today, this beautiful spring day.
Speaker 4: Well, to be honest to these are a little bit cloudy days, but it's springtime, so everything is now very colorful, so all of us are happy and waiting for the very sunny days. But it's spring time, so we are happy.
Speaker 3: Now. The hills are very beautiful. It's the right moment.
Speaker 4: For that, so sometimes we need them, I love, but that's part of the game. It's the best moment of the year probably to be to be influenced in Italy in general, but influence in particularly.
Speaker 3: For me at least.
Speaker 1: It's very interesting, actually because a lot of visitors like to come now in autumn or fall, don't they. But I agree with you. I think spring is really the best time because everyone's really fresh and ready to go for the new season, and everything looks absolutely beautiful with all the flowers and everything. Yeah, I really love spring. Actually.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then depends a little bit the popose of your traveling as well, because it's true every season of the year, to be honest, is as his magic, but now it's probably the very It's not considered that my town's name it's Florence.
Speaker 3: I mean that comes from Flora.
Speaker 4: I mean this town was dedicated in nothing less than to the goddess of nature and wishing to us success and beauty blooming in an eternal spring time.
Speaker 3: So that's what we really in this moment we can experience.
Speaker 1: Oh cheta, of course, Flora Florence. I learned something new every day. Thank you for Jessica. And it's such a beautiful time because it's the time of the lilies, isn't it. And that's a very special time in Florence.
Speaker 4: It tastes now, that's really the very special time. There's a garden dedicated to Irish, which is the very first original symbol of my town, this.
Speaker 3: Beautiful purple color flower.
Speaker 4: So now we have iris, but not only that, we have hysteria. We have all these nice purple colors all over and the Irish can be admired in a very special garden, the Irish Garden, and it's.
Speaker 3: Open only in this specific period of.
Speaker 4: The year, so from the twentieth fifth of April to need of me, because that's the real peak of the season for this for this flower here, and you find them not only in beautiful specific gardens people, I mean, we have competitions for making the most beautiful ones. I mean Ebrodus making all these special things. But you find along the toll roads anywhere. So it's so beautiful now and so earl again to nice flower.
Speaker 1: But gorgeous, aren't they? I think it's very special. We run some tours in Tuscany in the countryside and people go to a beautiful iris farm where you can just see the whole hills.
Speaker 4: Blame of the Yeah, sure, it's amazing, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to talk a little bit more about more detail about beautiful feelings for today's episode. But before we do that, Francesca, please introduce yourself to our listeners and tell them about your story, how you came to be a tour guide and your passion and for your city.
Speaker 4: I've been always working in the tourism since I was very young.
Speaker 3: I love a lot of traveling.
Speaker 4: One of my very first stors was working on a sheep. I work as a volunteer for no governmental organizations on children's projects abroad. I work a lot in different cities in the world, but at the very end, I was always back home, so where I study and I completed my studies. That's another privilege of my town. You can really whatever you decide to study. We have all the universities here, so and I graduated here in Foreign Languages and Literature and cultural anthropology. My thesis was already on my passion oriented on the ground tour in Toscany during the Lorentz dynasty age, and then I had the opportunity to become a licensed specialized guide. At the beginning, I thought it was going to be a little bit boring for me, very adventurous or used to.
Speaker 3: Always to be on the move and everything.
Speaker 4: And then I discovered that was really something so incredible.
Speaker 3: So now for me it's really my passion.
Speaker 4: Of course, because I love art and history, but it's not only that. My city has really saw a lot to offer and to add the possibility to share all that beauty every day with different people, and it's just for me, it's the best things I could have happened in my life.
Speaker 3: So I'm really very happy of that.
Speaker 1: I know, sometimes in this job you think, oh, does someone pay me to do this? It's amazing, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I really did know and be little bit because as I like to say, with the guides, we suffer with you or we enjoy with you and because to be it's always such an incredible experience. So when I finish and I have to say goodbye, sometimes it's very sad. So it's really it's something beautiful.
Speaker 1: It is such an incredible city. Is there something about Florence that it's just apart from the fact that it's your home? But what is it about the city that you love so much? It really has everything, and I can rattle off a lot of things, but it's really lovely to hear from a local of what you feel about your own city.
Speaker 4: Well, let's say that sometimes we make fun with my friends in Rome or Milan. You know, these big towns they look at us a little bit like up down, a little bit like the provincial. Our town is not that big, but we don't complete about it. I mean we the local people, I mean almost all of us, the people of Florence, me in particularly. Well they really love is that the town is not really that big, because if you want the very all the town, it's small, walk everywhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's not that odd.
Speaker 4: And doesn't matter way you leave if you have a scooter, motorbike, as most of us, in ten minutes or.
Speaker 3: By bicycle twenty let's say, but where do you leave?
Speaker 4: You are intel in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, with the eyes, concentration of works of art, persparameter in the work, full of history, music, theater, cultural events, traditional interventional doesn't matter everything.
Speaker 3: And at the same time, if you had the.
Speaker 4: Same ten minutes in the opposite direction, you find yourself on these wonderful hills. So I mean, we are surrounded by this magic and you can just easy see it under an olive tree, read a book in peace in this little corner of paradise in the country side of Tuscany. So there's nothing for me more beautiful than this to be in town, but to have always inside this gorgeous, beautiful vision, which is more or less what you can still say in the works of what do you see? The museum is amazing, That's what I like the most.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: And you were saying to me the other day that and I didn't notice that the whole area of Florence outside and the hills are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Area, which is very special.
Speaker 3: That was a very great idea.
Speaker 4: I mean, what happens because most of the times are the art of towns to be protect but here the countryside and the way the area was created with these beautiful gardens and cultivations, it's any major of what is a little paradise actually, So it was work to be protected as a une veritage site. And we're very happy because we can see walk in these places. I say we can because most of the people they think towns they are nice for visitors, they are made for visitors, and honestly, I'm very happy that people they can share the beauty of this place.
Speaker 3: But also for us the local people.
Speaker 4: Now is the time because the good weather, they nice springtime temperatures.
Speaker 3: We like to hide up on the.
Speaker 4: Hills because it's a mix of these incredible beautiful nature.
Speaker 3: And on the way you find.
Speaker 4: The Galileo Galileil, or you find a place where Tchaikowski used to live, or the place or where you can talk to the children, the place where Leonardo da Vinci try to fly, and all these kinds of things. So it's always to be in a sort of dream sometimes and that's something that we love too.
Speaker 3: That's a very special things. Yeah, we're very happy that all that.
Speaker 4: It's a real treasure, not only the city, it's the whole place and these ballet is really magic.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's It's quite unique actually, because even in Italy, where you do have so many beautiful cities, even the outskirts can be quite industrial. But yes, as Francisca says, in Florence, you can easily just have that experience where you're up in the hills and Francisco. I don't know if you've watched this movie, but it's one of my favorites. It's a room with a view. Do you know this one?
Speaker 4: Yes, sometimes we explore as well the CD and the suburbs of my town or Toscany, just following spatial tread the one of movies because toscan influence. They are really the set of men movies. And this one, it's fairly special. I like always to suggest moving during my tours because there are many giving yous a glance of things quite special.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very nice. One with Helena bottom Cart she's movie now right, but she's just her transformation. Let's take a quick break, bold, brief and back before you know it. For on the go, curated travel tips, restaurant recommendations and fun things to do in classic and hidden spots across Italy. Download the Untold Italy app link in the show notes. But I think it really demonstrates nicely how you can go into the countryside and then go down into Florence and you see down into Florence. If you haven't seen it, I do talk about this a lot, but I just love that movie because it just captures the essence of Tuscany and Florence so well. Oh wow, yes, I can't remember the last time I was there, but I just every time I talk about Florence, I think, oh, I've got to go back soon.
Speaker 3: We'll do that.
Speaker 1: But today we're going to do something a little special. Now we know we can't see everything in Florence. We can't even screw watch the surface, we can't even go close to it in one day. But I'm doing a bit of a series where I ask locals how they would spend the perfect day as a tourist in their own cities. So it's kind of to give people the idea of what are some of the more local things that you could do or something different to experience than maybe say in Florence. We know the Academia, the David Statue, the Fitzi Gallery, the Dwarm and you have to see those. Of course they're popular for a very good reason. But fanchess girl, if you were to take us on a day around Florence, how would you do that?
Speaker 4: Well, let's say there are many perfect these you can have influence. I mean, I know that the Sea of Florence, you can really experience that in one day, just to pick and have a sense of its beauty and maybe thought you're seeing on something of particularly interest, or you can see it week and you can see every day means something extraordinary, something worthy of a front page or any guide book to another city in the world. And I'm not exaggerating. It's really like that.
Speaker 3: I can prove it to you.
Speaker 4: But let's say that when you really have one day, a real full day at your disposal, and not only I mean for first times, but not only it's always nice to maybe to see a few of the very well known Eyeli It's maybe, but there are so many, as you would say, hidden priceless gems that I think that that's what I usually I like to say, maybe.
Speaker 3: If it's always.
Speaker 4: Easier to meet people in a place that there is central and it's honestly very beautiful to start. I like to start talking about my town from the main religious area, which means the Duomo, the cathedral. And if you start early, that's another secret. But let's say if you start eight thirty nine maximum, you will find the city is still health and sleep. So it's nice because you can really start understanding what was fluence when everything starts changing, and maybe having a nice coffee in one of these historic places, or then we can wait to the next stop, which for me to suba would be one of the places I like always to see.
Speaker 3: It's the area of Santa Maria Novella.
Speaker 4: Maybe fine, there is very small little family round bar where you can taste the coffee, I mean serve with a smile, because we say it's not a good coffee if it's not served with a good smile. And together with the boudino Theresa, maybe one of our special nice alternatives to the cross in the morning. We like a lot of these kinds of things that could be a nice way to start. And the area on the area of the Santa Maria novela, it's not only the gorgeous church. We can talk about all the greatest artists and architects. But there's a pharmacy, which is another fablous things where it's really worth a thing to have a look and maybe buy something, because this is a very special place where they are still producing according to the ancient tradition, recipes of the Dominican friers, madicines and beauty products and all these kinds of things, and the atmosphere of the place when I entered there, I always think about this place where it used to be the show Colatery of Florence in seventeen hundred during the Grand Tour.
Speaker 3: It was, you know, the meeting place of all different for the near.
Speaker 4: Communities, having their drinking their chocolate because at the time the bars that didn't exist not yet, so it's really amazing.
Speaker 3: And then from the this is only on the way to my favorite place.
Speaker 4: What I would like all the ways to suggest people to do is to legally the Bason tracts and find areas such as on Niasanti. There's a very beautiful church called the Old Saints on Ni Santi church. People they go there in order to visit the the Spucci family.
Speaker 3: Chapels, talking about historical facts.
Speaker 4: Of course, American Spucci or to see the tombs of the famous art is the painter. But for me, these incredible old church one of the oldest, honestly informants we talk about thirteenth century, even if then transformed completely throughout it, the century is in a fantastic unique by Rock they create a church. For me, the atmosphere when you enter that so usually in this special silence or someone sometimes playing the organ, and then you arrive at the end of the ale and you will be surprised. Just turning a little bit your head to your left, you see an incredible, beautiful work by job to a crucifix fourteenth century, which for me is the quintessence of spirituality.
Speaker 3: And when I say that, believe me.
Speaker 4: I'm used to work with people coming from all over the world, different cultures. I'm really talking about pure spirituality, not only a religious symbol.
Speaker 3: And when you see these crucifix and this.
Speaker 4: Cross that the artists and the genius idea to paint and.
Speaker 3: Not brown as usually but blue.
Speaker 4: A lap is laxly blue color which is so intense, giving us at the same time this idea of death and salvation I mean pain and hope at the same time you lose all sense of time and space, and you find really one of these magic moments, and they say it's hard to be found somewhere else in the world. It's really a mazing. This is one of the places where I like to take people because we can learn and discover so many things. The Synopius, this beautiful refectory, the Last Supper by Gilan Dalliens.
Speaker 3: But it's really the atmosphere.
Speaker 4: World is really changing everything, according to my opinion, my way of looking at this thing.
Speaker 1: It is so beautiful, and people just walk past, don't they They're just walking past down the.
Speaker 4: Front, not going. They don't know actually talking about it. One day, a full day experience. It's a privilege already for many people because unfortunately maybe they spend only a few hours and they only walk in between the cathedral in the old Palace, which is nice, but of course you lose a little bit of the music.
Speaker 3: Of the place, as I would say.
Speaker 4: And for sure, another place where you can really feel a different kind of atmosphere is the Ultrano. A nice thing would be to cross the river, to go across the other side, the southern side of the river, what we call Ultrano, and visit the Church of Santo Spiritu, which is a very special Renaissance, one hundred percent Renaissance church designed by Bruneileski, nothing less for the Augustinian friars, and where Michelangelo had his experience, so the first experience of as anatomist, dissecting mothers and all these things, and where he left a very special present to these fires and a crucifix, a wooden crucifix unique in Michaelangelo's work. Another example of these Florence at the end of fourteen hundred. See in the Renaissance, Michaelangelo so young had many pointer references. I mean he could have taken expiration for making his specifix looking or copying Brunelliski beautiful crucifix or the beautiful one made by Donatello, And instead of copying to art masters, he chose his own way revolutionory.
Speaker 3: I mean people that.
Speaker 4: Were asked to be revolutionery at the time, and the artists are the then protagonists at this time. The one that changed not only is style and not but a way of thinking. So all these things you can still really feel in these places. Beautiful cloisters, I mean, it's just amazing.
Speaker 3: And then the Altano is full of little markets, so just outside the church, the daily market.
Speaker 4: Where we can really just buy a piece of cheese or whatever we want and then go maybe to see one of the artists, because the ultraado is where we can really preserve probably one of the most precious heritage of my town craftmen. So they are still there in their beautiful workshops, in little, small, tiny shops and at work. One of my favorite one is the art etchings. I like a lot to go and see v Johnny, but all the others at work making these incredible stunning prints using these techniques developed in sixteenth century.
Speaker 3: Impossible not to buy.
Speaker 4: One when you're the or to go and see commits of Fiorentino. There are things, believe me, Kunti, that people come in here several times, and when I know that, I always ask, just to propose something new, maybe I always ask, have you ever seen the commiss of Hurentin or the famous Florentine Inlady, the hard and semi pracious stones artwork. Most of people they don't know what I'm talking about, and it's amazing. Behind anonymous wooden doors, then words open in front of us with these semi precious stones and these guys at work making really magic for me, and this is something that I see people. They really look at art in a different way when they can see artists at work, because we say craftsmen, but in Italian is artigiano, craftman and artista.
Speaker 3: The root of the world is exactly the same because.
Speaker 4: There are people really making art, and that's another very beautiful thing. And of course then the time for stop for eating something. It's perfect on the side of the river because you have a lot of these least small little places where you can buy just a sandwich or have it a pasta or maybe just having a salad, whatever you feel like. Or you buy a fruit sometimes or an ice cream. That's another way for having lunch. My favorite lunch is ice cream. It's summer anyway, it's very beautiful there. And just to take time, that's another very special things.
Speaker 3: I think traveling we always should have a little.
Speaker 4: Hour for ourselves, eating something, talking about nothing, just relaxing, enjoying the moment, just to be where we are and enjoy it.
Speaker 3: I think that's very important.
Speaker 4: And after that, of course, maybe the end of a day like that could be when it's too hot, I would say enter one of the beautiful museums of Peaky Palace, like the Palette Gallery, or for those they had been before, maybe the Bubbley Gardens or the costume gallery there. Otherwise, now that's the right moment, springtime. As we were saying, the temperatures are still very pleasant, so it's nice strolling through the shaded streets. Maybe we'd had on but reaching Sallyniquelangelo for the very sporty ones, it's well, we can do that in half an hour, but otherwise an easy taxi in ten minutes. We are at the top of the hill and we enjoy one of the nicest views over Florence and Piezo, the hills all around the Ana Valley. And then after we stop and now that's a compulsory. We had to stop a little bit in the Irish Garden to see the.
Speaker 3: Beautiful ones, all colors. It's very special.
Speaker 1: We will return in a moment with the rest of the episode. For daily travel tips and behind the scenes content from our tours, make sure to follow us on Instagram at Untold Italy Tours.
Speaker 4: And then maybe walking down which is very easy through the Rose Garden, that's another special little paradise. We can return to the city at the end of the afternoon, and that could be the very right moment then to end up in the signor Ya Square, this open museum with these fantastic status decoration of this, all the Middle Aged castles there still nowadays since the Middle Ages, the city hall of the town, and that's the time where we can really say, oh, that was a day.
Speaker 3: So what I would really do.
Speaker 4: That would be one of my strolls in this period, one favorite ones for sure.
Speaker 1: And it's not actually that long, you know, it's not a long distance really when you think about it. But there's so much in this like tiny pocket of a city that you can see so many things, and I even love at the bottom of the rose Garden. They're in the San Frediana. There's some lovely artisans there too, jewelry shops and I said, Alessandro, I can't remember, it's like a museum, this jewelry shop, and also the lot of perfume shops there, yeah, Alessandro Dari Yeah, and yeah, the perfume shops on that street too, and you could see.
Speaker 4: It, yeah, yeah, no, but that's why you see because as you say, that's the other very beautiful thing on my tower. I think because as you said, distances are relatively short. You can really walk a few minutes from one very special at least.
Speaker 3: In the other one.
Speaker 4: But on the way I mean same itinary that you can cover in three hours, you can spend one or two days, depends really the kind of experiences and the time of course you have at you're disposable. As you were saying in the beginning, it's very worth to be honest to see you, FIZI.
Speaker 3: The Academia, the very some of the very.
Speaker 4: Most special museums in the world, and my suggestion visit them. But go early in the morning when museums open, or at the closing time, so just before they close the ticket office, so you can really experience this museum in the right atmosphere, even at the pickup the season. So do it, but choose the right time and among the beautiful pers of my city.
Speaker 3: That maybe not very well learned or know.
Speaker 4: The very first one you had on your two do list to climb the dome of the cathedral if you can, that's one of the things I.
Speaker 3: Like a lot.
Speaker 4: Don't be scared of the four hundred and sixty three steps, but it's really amazing. That's one of the things I like a lot, the Bargello Museum, that's my favorite museum with my Donatello, and then all the others. Rotignano, Miquelando, Chilei Jian Bologna is a trianphal beauty and a new revolutionary is still the remoter vision of the world through art in a special castle. It's like to be back in thirteen hundreds. It's amazing and not only for science lovers. Galileo galile Museum is a fantastic and not only for a family.
Speaker 3: This Stepard Museum.
Speaker 4: He's a little bit outside the very city center, so maybe you need a balance or a taxi, but five minutes together and the stepend Museum is really the dream of a collector who left to the city of Florence a magnificence villa, transforming a media eval costal atmosphere full of antique or precious that scimeters elmets of every shape and they created chills and you don't believe it. But outside of Japan you find in this place the largest collections of Samurai armor in this trull and magenable context.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. Lust but not the least.
Speaker 4: Take the opportunity to do a workshop yourself and become artists or one day. That's something so special. I think that you should really experience body and soul the place. So if you have the time, try to make an experience in an art workshop. That's another beautiful things to you. Really the protagonist of your treap.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's making the city come to life for you. I love that. And in Melbourne where I live here in Australia, we have a shop called Papiro. There's only two shops in the world, one shop here in my city and one shop in your city.
Speaker 3: Is the same exactly, It's true, it's true.
Speaker 1: And they do workshops where you do paper marbling, so you make these beautiful marble designs on paper. And I have done that here in Melbourne with my family and it's something that's so great for children actually, and it's easy for them to do. And I recommend that a lot actually, because yeah, you can see that it's not so easy like it might look like splits of paint, but when you see how they do it so that they can use it in various different beautiful notebooks and other things, it's very beautiful actually.
Speaker 4: And as you were saying, because usually We like to propose this kind of thing to families because of course children they enjoy a lot, but not only and ask ourself to be creative and use our hands. It really give the possibility to ourselves to discover the part of ourselves that usually we don't do. So being not this doesn't mean to create masterpieces of art.
Speaker 3: It means just to express yourself.
Speaker 4: And sometimes you discover about yourself much more in one hour doing something with your hands than reading thousands of books. Because traveling, I think it's not only discover other places, is not yourself in a different way, So it's always a greater tunity.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you one hundred percent right at this time with all this technology, which I I do like the technology for some things, but also it's kind of squashing our creativity a little bit, I think. And so when you see these artisans as you mentioned before in the Ltronto, where they're doing some incredible work, and it requires patience, it requires dedication, It requires thinking about like a tiny process that is going to take time, and if you make a mistake, you need to do it again. And I think that's a very special gift that you can give to yourself not just for you know, not just to do an activity, but actually to appreciate the work that goes into something like that.
Speaker 4: It's true in a sit is such as floor and so we have the opportunity to do very many different experiences like that. Honestly, for me, one of my the very most important thing I will lie really to wish to everybody. It's really first of all, travel a lot. I really hope to see you in Florence because here you will find me. But as I like to say, whatever you go leave your travelers body and soul, because only in this way you will be able to find the key, is to assess the magic and acquire those secrets that there are hidden all over around us.
Speaker 3: So that's my best wish.
Speaker 5: To all of you, hoping to see your Yeah, absolutely so lovely it and it is Florence that does have a big magical impact on people, I think, because it is so beautiful and you can see why it inspired so many people, and there's such a gift.
Speaker 1: In the city as well as like you mentioned the Stubad Gallery which was bequeathed to the city. Also, all the collections of the Medici were bequeathed to the city by a woman, no less, and.
Speaker 3: That is very true.
Speaker 4: Maria Ludovica, Jana Maria Luiz, as you prefer to call her. She's the only important woman. She has a statue in the old the Palace courtyard, so it's a compulsory to stop in front of.
Speaker 3: Her every day and say thank you.
Speaker 4: As you said, it's a special place and it's nice to discover it through history, through aunt and just walking a man. So let be inspired by the beauty and it will be for sure fantastic.
Speaker 1: D Yeah, and I think people see a lot of crowds in Florence, and the crowds are sort of concentrated in one spot, aren't they. They kind of go from the Drmal to the Academy, to the Ufitzi and then maybe over the ponte Vecchio, but they're kind of in this one spot, which is maybe less than a kilometers square. So if you go out and if you go wandering, like Francesca suggested, then you can get away from those crowds. You go into the Ultrono, go to Piazza Santa Spiriotau and just go to Ani Santi and go to Santa Croce. You know, you can go away from those crowds for sure.
Speaker 4: For sure, and choose the right time of the day because I know you're on holidays, maybe you don't like waking up too early. But there was a reason why in the past we used to add this yesta, especially during the summer in bedween twelve, I mean at midday and four is when it's.
Speaker 3: Really the worst because it's very hot. Of course, you enter museum if you like.
Speaker 4: But it's probably the very most pleasant moments of the day are early in the morning and lead in the afternoon, so try to visit then the most famous places at that moment of the day. And then as you were saying, Kaded, you need really just to leave the two main streets vehicles in via a roma and then you experience a completely different influence. And all year long, I mean not only during the low season, if we can talk about low seasonal flulls, but of course November when days are shorter or when it's well the weather is not so nice. But there are many people that come in November because they know they found the gallery is empty, so it's the best moment for art lovers. But you have not to wait in November, I mean, so just to plan in a smart way your time and try not to visit too many places at the same time.
Speaker 3: So try to dedicate more time to a place.
Speaker 4: Don't think because flaw andc It's small, so half a day or few hours are enough. Or if you do it, you will see that you would come back anyway.
Speaker 1: You can't keep me away. I love it so much. It's such a beautiful place and I can't wait to go back soon. Actually, because I think everyone of our listeners knows, I had to reorganize my trip so I might redo a trip that I did before COVID actually, and I've got a very special memory of Florence from that because I did get up very early per your suggestion, I was staying in Altrano and I wanted to walk in the city when the sun came up. So I walked across the ponte Vecchio and I was the only person on the ponte Vecchio when the sun came up, And that was a very beautiful memory for me. Oh, Fantaska, I know everyone's loved hearing you talk about your beautiful city. How can they stay in contact with you or if they want to come on a tour and go exploring with you.
Speaker 4: You can find me on the social media Peaceburg Instagram, or just send me a message to my email or to WhatsApp. You know, in Europe we use a lot what's up sir? In this way usually people they find me, so we'll.
Speaker 1: Find you and we'll put all her Francesca's details into the show notes, so if you want to reach out to her, you can do that too. But Lissima, I love talking with you Francesca, and I think Francesca and I've got some ideas about how she can come and talk on the podcast some more, which I would absolutely love. We share some passions for some nature things that I think everyone might enjoy. But Francesca, Gratzimi, thank you so much for coming onto Untold Italy and sharing a beautiful Florence.
Speaker 4: With us today. Bigget everybody, thank you so much. You soon in Florence.
Speaker 1: Saw Guatimile to Francesca, what a beautiful conversation. Every time I talk to someone who loves this city, I am reminded that there is no end to what Florence has to offer. Francesca mentioned the Aysanti Church, the Bargello, the Giotto Crucifix painted not in brown but in Lapis Lazula blue, the Oltrano craftsmen working behind doors that looked like nothing from the outside, a morning outside the Duemal before the heat and the crowd setting, and the Iris Garden, which is only open from late April to mid May. So if you are planning a spring trip to Florence, which is an excellent idea, make sure to note that garden down. The memory that Francesca brought back for me was walking across the ponte Vecchio at sunrise, completely alone. I was staying in Oltrano that time and I was completely jetlagged. The best thing I did was go for that walk to soak up the magic and Florence, and somehow all the time ness melted away. If you have not walked across the ponte Vecio before the city wakes up, I highly recommend it. And as always, you're going to find Francesca's contact detail she'd you want to join her on a tour and the places that she mentioned in the show notes at Untold Italy dot com. Forward slash three two six for episode number three hundred and twenty six. And if this episode has you thinking about the rest of Italy, we know people like Francesca in cities and towns right across the country, and they help us create experiences and moments for our clients just like the one that she described today. So reach out if you would like some help with that. Let us open the door to your Italy. Next week, I'll be answering some traveler questions that have come in from our app users. But until next time, it's chow for now. The Untold Italy podcast is an independent production podcast editing, audio production and website development by Mark Hatter, Production assistance and content right the other kJ Clark, Yes there are two of us. For more information about Untold Italy, please visit Untold Italy dot com