Speaker 1: Nineteen thirty two. Dot Org.
Speaker 2: KCAA is your CNBC News affiliate. We're the station that gets down to business.
Speaker 3: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 4: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 3: Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny, welcoming you to the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests I bring you each and every week to the show. Once again, this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about dating after fifty and our special guest is none other than yours truly, Robert Manny. That's me and I'm going to be interviewed again by my wife, Uni Manning. We're going to talk about dating after fifty and it's the subject we've covered many times on Guys Guys Radio. From the perspective of a lot of the guests I've had on the show who are dating experts and relationship experts. So I'm going to aggregate all of that learning and my own personal experience of dating after fifty and also meeting my lovely wife Uni and getting married a number of years ago. So it's going to be a fun show. We're going to get into all of those ins and outs and challenges that people face when they're dating over fifty. You know, folks, dating after fifty isn't the end of romance necessarily. It may be the beginning of your best relationship yet. So I hope you enjoy our comment. You know, I met my wife Uni because she winked at me on she had a three day pass, a free pass on match dot com, and she winked at me, and we got together and met and that was it. Now we had a storybook ending because we're still together. And that doesn't mean it's going to happen for everybody, but it does mean that it is possible. And I have spoken to a lot of folks who did connect and get married after the age of fifty. Now you might not want that, but it is possible to find a partner and develop a relationship that's lasting and real and fulfilling when you're after fifty years old, if you if you keep a couple of things in mind that we're going to get into on today's show.
Speaker 4: So strap in there.
Speaker 5: And listen up, because I think we're going to have a fun ride together right here on Guys Guys Radio.
Speaker 2: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, Guys Guys Radio is the interview portion of our show, and once again we're going to do something a little special today. My lovely wife Uni Manny is going to ask the questions and I'm going to provide the answers, So let me send it over to her right now.
Speaker 6: Okay, Robert, Well, we're turning the microphone around again, and our guest is the host himself, the author, storyteller, marketer, and relationship expert, Robert Manny. Robert, You've interviewed lots of people, hundreds of experts on dating, relationships, masculinity, personal growth, and modern love. So drawing from conversations with all the dating coaches and insights from your acclaimed book, The Guys Guy's Guide to Love, right today, we're going to explore the realities, challenges, and opportunities for singles over fifty who are navigating the modern dating world. We're going to cover confidence apps, intimacy, second chances, red flags, emotional maturity, and hopefully all all that really matters now. So for those of us who may be feeling a little disheartened or nervous about getting back into dating, how about this. Just chew on this for a little bit. Dating after fifty isn't the end of romance. It may be the beginning of your best relationship. Yet, what do you think.
Speaker 5: Robert, Well, just by the fact, JUNI, that you and I are here together conducting this interview seems to say that there can be successful love and relationships after the age of fifty. As you know, I met you when I was over fifty, and we met through an online app through match dot com, and you had a free three day pass and you winked at me and that we met and that was it.
Speaker 4: So it can happen.
Speaker 5: But there's a lot that goes into play before that that makes what some would say is like love at first.
Speaker 4: Site type of thing.
Speaker 5: There's something that has to go on before that be for that to be able to happen. It's like anything else I'll give you an example. I was in my advertising background. Client said I need a small agency that can do this, this and this, And I called them the next day and I said, here's who you need. I connected them and then I sent them a bill and they said, what how much you charging me for this? What did it take you an hour? And I said no, it took me twenty years to be able to know what you needed.
Speaker 4: And it's the same way in.
Speaker 5: Love, where you have to do the work first to be in a position to attract and then connect with and then maintain a partnership and a relationship.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's well said exactly. It's all of the wisdom and the accumulated experience that goes into the now. So, Robert, what inspired you to focus so much of your attention on dating and relationships for people over fifty?
Speaker 5: Well, it all started when I wrote my book and got it out there, The Guy's Guy's Guide to Love, which as you know, has been called The Male Sex and the City because it's really a relationship, fun romp type of relationship that takes place in New York City and it's about love and dating from a male perspective. And I wrote the book because I was inspired to help kind of bridge the great chasm, the great gap and communication between men and women. And I wrote the book over a decade ago, and it's never been more true than right now. Instead of the gap closing, the gap has expanded. I think where people really don't know how to date now. Now that's just not people over fifty. That's for young people also, but for the benefit you know, I'm not going to tell twenty year olds how to date. However, based on my life experience and the fact that i wrote this book and the fact that I've interviewed so many dating and relationship experts on our show, I think I can aggregate a lot of that, a lot of those insights and share them with our audience and maybe help them out.
Speaker 4: And the news is good news.
Speaker 5: So it is possible to find true love after the age of fifty, and some of my guests have done the exact same thing as I have. But there's there's also a lot of pitfalls along the way. You have to make the right decisions, you have to prepare yourself, and you have to be open.
Speaker 4: You have to open your heart.
Speaker 6: Well said, well, you've said that dating after fifty can actually be better than dating in your twenties and thirties. So going back to not telling people you know who are in their twenties and thirties what to do on a date, why do you think dating after fifty could be better?
Speaker 5: Well, you know you have It's all about perspective, Uni, you have some experience. Number one, you have some experience. So a lot of times in our formative dating years, if you will, we end up attracting the same type of person.
Speaker 4: Who may not be right for us.
Speaker 5: And hopefully by the time they hit around the age forty five, forty forty five, fifty and beyond, they'll have realized that maybe it's me. Maybe there's things I need to do to not attract the same type of person where I'm going to have the same type of relationship pitfalls that I had in the past. So that's one good thing. It's experience. Secondly, you hopefully by the time you're around fifty or so, you have established yourself as who you are. You know more about who you are and what's important to you, because a lot of times when you're younger and you're dating, it's all about the shiny object. May oh, that guy's gorgeous or or or whatever. You're driven by your libido and your eyes versus what's really right for you, the type of person that you can connect with on an energetic and a heartfelt basis, So you have that going for you also, and also as part of that being established, you may not have as many concerns about who you are. You know who you are, and you don't have to doubt yourself, and you can be confident in making the right decisions by saying, you know what.
Speaker 4: He looks good or she looks good, and it's all good.
Speaker 5: On paper, but there's something wrong, and you don't try to force chemistry that's not there. And that happens so many times where you know, as a guy, a lot of times we think with our eyes when when we're dating, and at a certain point we realize that, well, maybe she's really pretty, but I don't feel the attraction, or this isn't working and she's supposed to be have this type in my head, but maybe that's not maybe that's not exactly. The type isn't physical. The type needs to be emotional and energetic and intellectual as much as it is physical. And I think when we get to around fifty or so, it's not just based on looks or strictly money. Hopefully everybody's established in some way by that time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you've done a lot of work on yourself, so I think you've been able to resolve a lot of the experience that you have gained through the years. However, many singles over fifty carry a lot of emotional baggage. They've experienced divorce or loss or heartbreak, and they may be a little bit more cynical going forward. What do you say to them? How would you talk to someone who has become I'm a little cynical about moving forward.
Speaker 5: I think it's perfectly understandable because you know, everybody's going to deal with dishonesty and people that supposedly were one thing it turned out to be something else. And everybody's had a broken heart at some point, so.
Speaker 4: I totally get it.
Speaker 5: And when they get into using things like the online dating app the honesty is a key issue and a lot of women I know from my experience in interviewing a lot of dating coaches, they say that women don't trust the dating apps, which is a shame because there's no better way to meet people. You never meet unless you had the app and you and I met that way. But the honesty thing is something that a lot of people wrestle with because people lie, and you know, you never want to lie because the truth, particularly in dating, the truth always comes out. If you say you're six foot two and you're five foot nine, you're going to meet in person, hopefully at some point then the truth will show itself.
Speaker 4: And it's across the board in that.
Speaker 5: So it's very under standable that people over fifty are going to be cynical because they've been burned along the way. They've had life experience. They've had bad life experience, but they've had good life experience, and I've gained hopefully they've gained some wisdom to not take it personally and just know when to let go and move on. That's the other thing is people do over fifty is they carry a lot of baggage around, and if you want to meet somebody new, you have to prepare yourself and put yourself in a position to be open for love.
Speaker 4: I remember when.
Speaker 5: I was a fifty or so, I'd go to my family gatherings and nobody asked me, why are you still single?
Speaker 4: Now Here I was.
Speaker 5: I was a single guy. I lived in Manhattan, I was in advertising. I had a lot of fun. I dated a lot before you what I met. Yet I hadn't really connected with v one if you will, and people stopped asking me, when are you getting married? And it was a fate I'll complete that I wasn't. But I realized, I said, why aren't my relationships lasting as long as I want them to? Why are they falling apart at a certain point. I must be doing something. And I realized that I wasn't making room in my heart for a partner. And as soon as that I had that epiphany, and I don't know, it didn't come across like it wasn't like lightning struck. I just realized that. And as soon as that happened, I realized, that's it. I'm going to get I'm going to find the one and get married. And I told my mother at Thanksgiving, I remember, I'm going to get married next year, Mom, and she said, oh, really, that's fantastic. Who are you going to marry? I said, I don't know. I haven't met her yet, but I knew, And sure enough, you and I connected that summer and within a year we were engaged, and so it can't happen. But I had to put myself in a position to realize, is this something I need to do differently? Is this is something I need to look at in terms of my shadow self? If you will, then maybe I wasn't doing correctly, and how do I open myself up so I can attract the right person for me? So I think a lot of the important work, particularly for daters over fifty, is doing the circumspection looking at themselves and saying, Okay, who am I, what do I want?
Speaker 4: What do I have to offer?
Speaker 5: How have my relationships gone in the past? Is there anything maybe I should relook, reconsider, reshape going forward. Because if I'm single and I don't want to be single, and I've had relationships and none of them have worked out, there must be something I you know, it takes two to tango. I can't just blame it on my partners. I must have had a if they straight or whatever. I must have had something to do with that. So we all have to start by looking within, and that's a perfect place to begin for pretty much any big change in life, and particularly with relationships. So we can go easy in ourselves and love ourselves and say, Okay, who am I, what has my experience been? What do I have to offer? What really works for me? That's a perfect place to start and it can get really good from there. For me, it happened very quickly. You and I connected and boom, that was it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think sometimes we talk about the energy that was exchanged between us, and it just really there was a meeting of the energy as well as the mind, body, and heart for us. And we talk about a lot of energy that is exchanged in relationships between us. Right, So what kind of energy attracts healthy partners at the stage of life.
Speaker 5: I think you have to have the open and openness. You have to have some type of positivity. If you're going to be a Debbie Downer or Donnie down or whatever, it's not going to work. You have to be open and look at the possibilities and say what can be and like I'm going to it's something good is going to happen, and believe in yourself and believe in your partner, and believe in you two together to make it happen. You had mentioned you need the energy exchange, which I think is critical also in forging a new relationship. So when people meet, a lot of times you have to you don't have to, but a lot of times people meet through the online apps, and there is an energetic exchange. You winked at me, which was that was nice, and I wrote back to you, and I think I suggested, let's have a phone call. We went back a few times, very short, though short and sweet responses, and you said, no, we don't need to, let's just meet. And I had my rules in place, like you have to have a phone call because there's an energetic exchange when you first look at the other person's profile, when you first make a connection there, and then there's an exchange when you hear the other person's voice, which I've experienced, like I heard somebody on the phone and like this doesn't work for me, not because they had a rock's accent or whatever, it's just like it's just I wasn't feeling it, but because the voice has a tonality and the voice carries.
Speaker 4: And energy energy. But you said no, let's just meet.
Speaker 5: And then I thought about it and I said, you know what, I made up all these rules because I've been single so long, and I kind of had thought I had mastered the online dating game, if you will, I said, well, these are just my rules.
Speaker 4: I'm going to break them. And we met and that was in. It wasn't an issue.
Speaker 5: And fortunately when we did meet in person, right we were on the same page.
Speaker 6: It's true. I felt the energy. I remember when you said, and you offered me your hand. I had on those ridiculous shoes and we were going down these steps and you offered me your hand to support me as we were walking down the stairs. And there was a very nice energy exchange there.
Speaker 5: Too, just for the benefit, for the benefit of our audience. The way we met, we met at seventy second seventy ninth Street, I think in Manhattan on what was it, Yeah, but we met on the street on a corner, and I was on one corner on the stairs on seventy ninth on the west side, I think it was. I don't know if it was Amsterdam Avenue or Columbus Avenue, and I looked across the street diagonally and I saw a beautiful woman in a green and white dress come walking across, and I thought, shoot, I have shorts and a green T shirt on.
Speaker 4: But at least we matched.
Speaker 5: And then I said, that's her, And when you came across the street, I walked up to you and I gave you a hug. It was so bizarre, and you looked at me like, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: But it was unexpected, I have to say from me too, yeah it was. It was very interesting because initially I was I didn't know how to take that.
Speaker 6: I thought that was a little too soon. But I looked into your eyes and there was again, there was this openness in your eyes that said, you know, let's just go with it. So I did. I did, and it worked out well.
Speaker 7: Enough about us, Enough about us.
Speaker 6: You mentioned now a couple of times about dating apps, so you're right, so many people these days are now turning to apps. It's become more normal. So going back to honesty and when we set up our profiles, how important is honesty in setting up our profile and in your experience, you know, talking to coaches and speaking to people, where do people tend to exaggerate and how should we view well?
Speaker 4: I mean, you always want to be honest.
Speaker 5: There's one there because as I mentioned, the truth is going to come out if you say you're fifty pounds less than you are and you have a really old picture and then in person, you don't look like that person that's going to come out. So the honesty you can only cover up so much. I think the one area where there may be a little wiggle room is that when you get to age where you know, after twenty five, people don't necessarily look their age. There's a good looking fifty and then there's a fifty year old who looks like they're seventy. And so I think because of the algorithms, some people who might be like fifty one, they put down that they're forty eight because they want to attract people who are going to fit that that level, that age. And it's still wrong, but it's understandable. And eventually, I've had it happen both ways, and the truth comes out quickly, and you either attract it to the person of you're not so I'm not or you're not so. I'm not encouraging that and I'm not condoning that, but I understand that people there is a little wiggle room sometimes with the age. I mean, you can't do ten years or something, but if it's a year or two after fifty, who cares? But the truth needs to come out quickly about that, because again, you know, to be frank, there's people who are fifty who look like they're forty nowadays, and there's people who are fifty who look like seventy in a bad way, and that's just the way it is. So I understand where people might want to play around with that a little bit, but again I'm not condoning it, but it happens.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I think so too. What are the biggest mistakes people make over fifty when using dating apps?
Speaker 5: I think they say too much Number one. In their profile, you want to keep it interesting, conversational. From the world of advertising, your profile is an ad. It's a print ad. I don't know how many of them do video now, but it's pretty much an AD. So you want to show a couple of images of you in your best life. You want to show a headshot with a smile. You want to show with some friends doing something active, and to get a sense as to who you are and what.
Speaker 4: Your vibe is.
Speaker 5: In the copy of your profile, you don't want to say anything negative. You don't want to say I don't like this, don't be like my ex or whatever, and you'd be surprised how many decent looking people just they put themselves in a hole just because they write their profile and they have an ax to grind or it's negative. So I think you have to stay positive, you have to stay open mind, or you want to keep it short, because your goal is to get to the next step, which is somebody takes a look at your photos, they read it, they say, oh, this person's pretty interesting. I'll connect with them, and then you take it from there. So the objective of the profile is to get to the next step. That's it, because nobody's looking at the profile. After you meet. Maybe they'll go back and check, but probably it's incidental. At that point. The goal is to get step one to step two, which is some type of communication, and then step two, after that communication, meet in person. And that's where the real energy exchange is the only thing that really counts, because ultimately, if you're going to be in a relationship, dating and otherwise, you're going to meet.
Speaker 4: In person, so that has to feel right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I also believe that you put in the ways in which you want to connect with people, like for example, you know, if you love to hike and you're outdoorsy, you know, I would say, make sure you put that in there. Don't be afraid to be honest about the ways in which you love to live.
Speaker 5: So absolutely, yeah, get a sense as that, because if you're a person who they don't really like to hike and you love to hike, yet a lot of the other things line up.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's a lifestyle thing.
Speaker 5: One person's more outdoors and the other person is not, So you want to get that stuff out of the way. So in your profile some of those key indicators, like everybody likes to travel and takes a walk on a beach, but hiking is pretty specific, and hiking can be you know, going for a walk, but hiking can also be like we just came back from Yosemite.
Speaker 4: That was that was hiking. We were going up five thousand feet.
Speaker 5: Five thousand feet And that's for people who are real hikers, and that's a different ballgame.
Speaker 4: You have to I don't think.
Speaker 6: I would put that in my profile.
Speaker 4: Hiking correctly, Like I'm a light hiker.
Speaker 6: Right exactly, flat terrain.
Speaker 4: Walk in the woods. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So do you think and going back to the apps, do you think they hurt relationships for mature or help mature dators?
Speaker 5: I think they can they can help because a lot of times, particularly as we age, we don't have as much contact with our friends. Our circle of beyond businesses gets smaller, and how do you meet people? And you know, there's always the grocery store and if you go to the gym with a lot of people are like, don't talk to me, I'm working out, which totally understandable.
Speaker 4: So you know, this is a way to.
Speaker 5: Meet you know, it's it's more people than you'd ever meet in real life.
Speaker 4: I RL as they call it now that you use the apps. But again, you.
Speaker 5: Can fall into the deep side of the pool when you go on the dating apps. Too many services, too many apps, too many dates, too many juggling of relationships of potential partners. I remember when we were going out, I assumed everybody on the service was dating multiple people and then it would sort itself out. And you and I went out a few times and then you said to me, oh, you're still on You're still on Match.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, well, so are you.
Speaker 5: Because if you saw me and you said, well, well, why don't we just go out and then if it works out, it works out, and if it doesn't, it doesn't.
Speaker 4: I'm like that's a novel idea.
Speaker 5: Okay, instead of dating five people at the same time, let's give it a try. And we did, and everything else kind of fell by the wayside.
Speaker 4: But that's again, you know, we had maybe we.
Speaker 5: Were set up to have everything work because so many things prior to that didn't work. But the point is it can happen, and it can work, and these are some of the guardrails that we have to put up and some of the expectations that we have to manage to be realistic.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, So let's move things along.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: Let's say we made the connection on the app, and what are some challenges people face when they are dating. I mean, I think many people over fifty might feel that they miss their chance. So what would you say to them.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a couple of things to unpack there. I think once you make the first connection with somebody you meet over fifty in real life, if you will that, you want to make sure that you don't spill all your beans, which people have a tendency to do.
Speaker 4: They just give the whole story.
Speaker 5: It's like they throw up on the other person, and that can be overbearing, that could be too much. You want to just have a nice conversation and enjoy the other person's company and see if you can pick up vibe wise and see if that works, and also ferret out some information about the other person without making them feel feel like, you know, that they're being interviewed, because sometimes guys feel like they're you know, they're interviewing for a job. And on the other hand, sometimes guys will just talk about themselves for the entire time and it becomes too much. So I think you have to be careful when you make that first meeting to be open and to actively listen and to quote unquote, as you told me, pay attention so you can be present for it for the other person and just treat it like fun. You know, you can meet people when you're over fifty online for perspective dating and maybe it doesn't work out, but maybe you become friends and maybe they have a girlfriend that they want to introduce you to, or a boyfriend, a guy who knows, Hey, I know this other guy, he'd be great for you, you know, say that on the date, but think, you know, if you have some type of connection there where you like the other person, or maybe there's some business opportunity there. Things can happen, So don't just immediately jets in the other person if they're not your perfect, perfect romantic partner, unless that's your myopic and that's what you want and that's what you therefore and you're not messing around, and that's fine. Just know what you want. But I would also always say be open, be open minded.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean definitely don't put all your eyes in one basket, you know, on that first day. That's so much pressure right now, and just to make the goal, have a connection, have a fun time. It's so much stress is taking.
Speaker 4: To keep it light. Keep it light.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Sometimes I know some guys they'll take and women have told me this, they the first date they take them to. The guy takes the woman to a fancy restaurant and then they say, you know, they want to get married or something. It's like too much, too soon. So I would always suggest keep it light. If you you know, want to meet at a lounge or someplace where you can enjoy a beverage or maybe someplace where you can go then afterwards, take a walk or something, and that's it and then it's see if it if it works, and if it does, don't play games, then with how many days do I wait before I get back? Or it just like set it up, keep going, yeah.
Speaker 6: Exactly, if it feels right, take a chance. Yeah. So there are people who have been dating, and then there are others as they're older, they've just come out of a long marriage. What kind of advice would you give someone that's coming out of a long relationship, some lasting over twenty years.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a great question.
Speaker 5: And I think there's the online dating answer and then there's in real life overall answer. And I think if it's let's start with in real life overall, you need to say, Okay, I'm here, where am I? What happened? Why am I single?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Is this something I chose? Is something I want? Is this something I'm happy with? What do I want going forward? What do I have to offer? What does the other person need to have? Short lists? Not like thirty five you know thirty five to item list where they must have all these things? Keep it based on values. What are the values I need in a potential partner for online? I think you gotta just shorten all of that and say, okay, what type of person do I want to connect with? I want to have somebody who lives close by. They we can have some fun. I enjoy conversing with them, and maybe there's some shared activities and who knows what can happen. So I think again, having that open mind is the real key, and also the circumspection and then the open mind and.
Speaker 4: Open heart.
Speaker 6: Good to hear. So in your experience, do you find that men and women want fundamentally different things? You talked about values, but do you think that that's you know, well, fundamental difference.
Speaker 5: It's you know, that's a that's a big, big, big question. So every situation is different. Every time a man and a woman or a couple of whatever get together, it creates a unique little universe. It's like a snowflake or something. Every little action is a separate entity. So, you know, they might want to have they might have similar needs, similar values, and they might not. So I can't speak for everybody in terms of what does everybody want and is a difference between men and women? I think fundamentally people want to be with somebody that they enjoy spending time with, and what can happen out of there is different. If it's a younger guy, they're probably intert Sex is going to be at the top of the list. An older guy, it's going to be near the top of the list, if not at the top of the list. But there's going to be other things. And for women it's going to be other things also depending on their life stage. I think, would you agree or disagree with that?
Speaker 4: Uni?
Speaker 6: I think sex and intimacy it's important for both people. However, I think for women the intimacy is something that they I don't know if require is such a word, but that is highly important for long term relationships. Now sex could be these days a lot more casual where the intimacy isn't as important, But I still speak to a lot of women who, especially in even within a relationship, if they're going through periods where the intimacy isn't there, then the sex kind of dries out. So good to know, yeah, is very important. And it isn't just the physical part. It's the warmth, it's the connection, it's the the ability to feel safe so that we can share our private thoughts, that level of intimacy. Before we close out the this particular section, what's your best first date?
Speaker 4: Question to ask somebody when you go on the first date. So that's a great question.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, I think something that's kind of open ended, not like you know something to the what what are some of the things that you want to what you want to do?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: What do you have you have some plans for this coming year? I would keep it like general and open. I know that's kind of a boring answer, but that's what I got. Uh, that's what I would ask if I want to get to know somebody, kind of get a sense as to who they are. Do you see yourself living around here? You know, in the next five years, you see yourself moving kind of what's what's your kind of you have kind of a game plan or you kind of.
Speaker 4: Just play it by year, or where are you on things?
Speaker 5: What's what's kind of you know, gives a sense as to who they are and what they are and where they're going.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's almost a directional question almost as to see are we going along in a similar path before?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they could say I'm moving, you know, I'm definitely getting off grid, and uh, you might be a city person and I'm like, Okay, that's great that we're here now. But if she's going off grid and I'm not, how are we going to make this work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know. That actually goes right into the next segment, which is I wanted to talk to you a little bit about red flags and green flags. What are the subtle red flags? That seems like a big one, you're not going to be in the same location, But what are the subtle red flags that you think I should be aware of.
Speaker 5: Well, I think there's two sets. I think there's the emotional red flags and is the logistical red flags. So the emotional red flags, if somebody really is bitter about their past relationships and has not done the work where they have the ability to let go and be open, and you're going to get compared to what happened in the past and don't be like my ex and he did this, and don't do that, and like it becomes very pressurized situation there. And logistically, if you're you know, if you're going to be in different locations and different states of mind and different states of art and it's going to be difficult to get together and build a relationship, that's a red flag. Also if they're always booked, if they're always busy, if you and you're not as busy because you have this you if you really want to do something, You're going to make the time. If you really want to be with somebody, you'll make the.
Speaker 4: Time for them.
Speaker 5: If you don't, then maybe you're not going to go out of your way as much. But if you have to find a way into their schedule on an ongoing basis, that's, to me is a red flag that they're not they're not being open or there, you're not a priority, or they're not that interested.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those are two good good signs. Then what's the flip side, what are the green flags we should be This is a good one.
Speaker 5: Well, I think one, I think you want to be with somebody, particularly if you're over fifty, who's kind hearted and who's who's a nice person, you know that whole you know, the whole like bad boy thing and all of that. Do you really want to be with a bad boy if you're a woman over fifty.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm not a woman over fifty, so I can't say.
Speaker 5: But that's that's to me, seems like for the younger crowd, whereas there's that edge, that danger. I think you want the guy to be dynamic and interesting, but you don't necessarily you don't want the bad boy at that stage of life. So I think the green flag there is if they are kind, harder, they're open, they make time for you, if they respect your independence. Because I think over fifty, one of the keys to making relationship is each person has to be able to have their own life. You want to have the share time, but you both want to have a life because if one person throws their entire life into you, then they might, you know, secretly, be a little bit bitter about that, like, hey, what about me? So you want to make sure that they have the time to develop themselves. You have the time to develop yourself. So if you sense there's a nice give and take in the relationship that's bordering, then that's a really good thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And from your response, it's acknowledging how the landscape really does change as we get older. So people over fifty are in a different, different stage in life. They could be airing for parents, or they're in a mature stage and managing their careers, and they may even be grandparents. So how does the complexity of our lives start to affect dating well?
Speaker 5: Again, and that's another thing where you look for the green lights, they're the green signs the positives, because if they're so busy, if they have so many things that they have to juggle, how are they going to.
Speaker 4: Make time for you.
Speaker 5: And you might not have been married before, you might have grown kids, you might not have parents that you have to take care of, you might be in a completely different situation. So if one person's kind of freed up and the other person's constantly juggling or under pressure all the time, that's going to make it a challenge.
Speaker 4: So you have to find somebody.
Speaker 5: Where who's available kind of in the same space as you are to make it work, or else you do the work to make it work. And sometimes it's worth it to do that, and other times it's like, you know what, I'm over fifty the clock sticking. I don't want to go through all of this again because I've been there, I've been with that other person's going through, and I don't want to go there again. It could be with trouble with kids, or maybe this illness in the family, or some type of financial hardship, all understandable things.
Speaker 4: Stuff happens.
Speaker 5: Then it's up to you to decide do I want to do I want to invite that into my life, Do I like this person. Am I attracted enough to this person that I want to let them bring in their all their baggage with them, or do I feel that they can manage their stuff where we will have our time and it's going to be enough and they can deal with their other stuff on their own and I don't have to get dragged into that.
Speaker 4: And you've seen how it is with some of our friends here, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think self work what you were saying before, because our life becomes so complex just doing the self work and asking the question is their space in my life right now to significantly care for another being? Right? And if the answer is yes, then go forward and be honest that there is still a lot going on, but there is also time and space for relationship. But if you do a personal assessment and you know, you say, wow, I just have so many plates up in the air that I'm juggling right now, I couldn't significantly put the time and attention that's required for a deep relationship, maybe just some light dating, right.
Speaker 5: And sometimes what happens is that people who have they've been out of the dating game, if you will, for a couple of decades, and they just step into it, and I've met them online and I'm like, oh, I'm the first person they met. It's like, it's not going to I knew it wouldn't work because they're just getting their toe wet there. They don't know what they're what's out there, they don't know what they're looking for. They haven't really severed their ties with their past relationship.
Speaker 4: They're just kind of sniffing around.
Speaker 5: So I think what you want to do before you put yourself out there, Like somebody famous celebrity Matthew McConaughey said his dad told them, don't have ass anything. And I think that's some of the greatest advice ever. If you're going to do it, do it. So if you're going to get involved, you want to put yourself out there, put yourself out there, be open. You're going to get hurt sometimes and you're going to but you may win the big one as we have.
Speaker 4: So, but don't do it half assed. Do it for real. Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's interesting you said that because even before I put my profile out there, I had given space between my long term relationship had ended and I had given some space and I'd asked myself, what type of person do I want to meet, and I had gotten a sense and my list was not long, and it was value space, and that's how I connected with you. I had a clearer sense in my head. I had learned from my relationship, and so I knew I wanted something different and that's what I got.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm glad we got that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So going into mature relationships, how important is the physical attraction?
Speaker 4: I think you know for me as you know it's important to me. I mean, it is what it is.
Speaker 5: I don't question how you know my urges or what attracts me works.
Speaker 4: It is what it is. I didn't create myself. I'm working on myself.
Speaker 5: But what I'm attracted to, I'm attracted to, and I think for me it's important. I can't speak for all guys, but from what I've heard from the dating coaches that I've interviewed that.
Speaker 4: It's important for men.
Speaker 5: It's also important for women that the guys you know well groomed and takes care of himself and is polite and respectful. What's really interesting is to a person, every dating coach I've ever interviewed has said the one thing that women want from guys is they want a man to be a man in the best sense of the word. They want him to be confident, not cocky. They want them to be emotionally available, but not arrogant. You know, they want a good guy, but they wanted a real man in the best sense of the word.
Speaker 4: And I think that's important.
Speaker 5: I think for guys, I think they're looking for a woman who's a real woman, quote unquote, which is so can be so many. It's so dynamic nowadays because as you know, this is a time where you know, women have made so many getting finally getting such long overdue recognition for all the wonderful things that are doing, and it's going to be more and more and more. So you want a guy who appreciates that, is not against women, who really appreciates the fact that the more women can do, the better it is.
Speaker 4: For guys.
Speaker 5: I always say this is the best time ever for a guy to be a guy because of that. And the problem I think that a lot of men have, regardless of age nowadays, is they've been put into like pigeon hole. They're in the crosshairs. If you're a young guy, you don't have role models anymore. You've got the mma on one side, you've got manscaping on the other side, and it's really tough for guys today to know who they are because women don't necessarily need men in a traditional sense the way they have in the past, and the regardless of all the politics and everything. You can't force that back onto society. You can't go back and say men are this and women are that. You have to let the whole thing evolve, and hopefully it's it evolves in a way where women revel in their independence and they have their own lives. Yet want a guy who understands that and who revels in his independence and his own life also, and then when they come together it's even bigger than each one individually.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it seems to me that physical attraction is definitely important, you know, I think speaking from a woman, you know, we can talk about being attracted in many different levels, but we also long for that physical intimacy as well. And you're right, we do want a guy to be a guy. So, in closing, what role do spirituality, emotional intelligence, and personal growth play relationships in your point?
Speaker 5: I mean huge, So with spirituality, I think if one person's going on a spiritual kind of journey, recognizes it, and the other person is not really in the same space or same place because we're all heading the same to the same destination. It's just everybody's going on their own journey time wise, that becomes an issue. I know in previous relationships where I was going one way and the partner was not going that way, and that becomes an issue. So spirituality, I think is important where you want to have some type of at least understanding, and it's better like you and I are, I think, on the same place on our spiritual journey. We're both on our own spiritual journey. But I think there's a lot of overlap and things we can share. What were the other two things unie.
Speaker 6: So spirituality and emotional intelligence and personal growth?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I think you know, a lot of times with women they want a guy who you know, with a personal growth, who has a goal in all but a lot of times also they don't want the guy to have achieved the goal. It'say some women who don't want to be there when he's growing, They want to be there when he's accomplished his goal. So that's a tricky one sometimes for guys.
Speaker 4: And then the.
Speaker 5: Third one was personal and emotional intelligence. Okay, so I think there. I think every woman wants a guy who's quote unquote emotionally intelligent. I think most of the guys don't even know what that means.
Speaker 4: So you just have to.
Speaker 5: Hope for the best there and hopefully through being open in terms of being able to talk about stuff how they feel, not take things personally, not look at a lot of times guys and I do this, as you know, they'll look at any time they take things as criticism that are really meant with the goal of making a relationship as good as it can be. So if you see that the signs of all the good parts of that are there, that's a really good thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know about criticism, It's all about communication, isn't it. We could probably do a whole segment on communication.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, Robert, this has been a thoughtful and insightful and inspiring conversation. So whether someone is newly single, divorced, widow, or simply searching for a meaningful connection, I believe your message is ultimately hopeful that love, intimacy, compassion, and personal growth never expire. Absolutely, So thanks for sharing your wisdom and experiences with us today.
Speaker 4: Thank you Union. Here's the book once again. The guys Guys Guys Love.
Speaker 5: You can find me right here on KCA Radio in southern California, my worldwide podcast, Guys Guys Radio, my website, Robert manny MNI dot com. I'm on UK Health Radio weekends and on demand. I'm on YouTube, I'm on Rumble and pretty much so many other I'm a guest on so many other shows on YouTube where we talk about relationships over fifty, particularly on Second ACTV with Silka Schwartz cough.
Speaker 6: So wonderful. Thanks Robert. It's simer unique in your little corner here. Bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: Thanks, it's guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 5: Okay, what a fun conversation with my lovely wife Uni about dating after fifty at some of the opportunities and some of the potential pitfalls that you might face along the way. And I think the number one takeaway is before you get out there, if you are single and you're over fifty and do want to make a connections to number one, take a step back and take stock of yourself, who you are, what you are, what you are looking for in a partner, and what you really have to offer. And also I think it's ultimately very important to ask yourself, is there any role I played in my previous relationships maybe not working out the way I want them to work out? And is there anything I could see differently or do differently to give myself a better chance of succeeding in the future. I think that is critical that we first look inward before going outward. The second thing is consider the reality and the possibilities of the online dating world. It's not for everybody. Some people just don't like it. They feel there's too much dishonesty there. They feel it's a waste of time, or they get they get caught in going into the deep end too quickly and they go onto too many services and they're juggling too many potential partners and it just doesn't work out. So I think you need to be mindful about what it is and how you can make online dating work for you. If it is in fact something that you feel can be a useful tool, and that after all, that's what it is. It's a tool, and if you use it properly, it can work out, as it did with UNI and Eyes. So I'll wish you the best of luck finding a potential partner. If that's what you're interested in and finding that love that's out there, just put your intenna out there and be ready to be open to receive it when it's ready to come to you. Thank you for listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, like I always say, guys, guys finish first.
Speaker 1: NBC News on CACAA Lomlad sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two, Protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two, dot Org.
Speaker 9: NBC News Radio. I'm Lisa Carton. President Trump says the US will be attacking Iran very hard. Speaking from the Oval Office this morning, Trump said more attacks are coming following yesterday strikes and retaliation for the downing of a US APACHE helicopter near the Strait of Wormuz.
Speaker 10: The US military targeted about twenty different locations inside Iran, including radar stations, missile defense systems, air defense systems. No reports of any casualties there. Significantly, the US didn't target any Iranian cities or its leaders.
Speaker 9: NBC's Richard Engel reporting Iran responded with a tax on US targets in the Middle East. President Trump has signed a bill to fund immigration enforcement. Speaking from the Oval Office today, the President said it will give ICE and border patrol the resources they need to keep America safe.
Speaker 4: For more than one hundred days.
Speaker 11: Congressional Democrats tried to block all funding for the Department of Homeland Security in a reprehensible attempt to throw open the borders of the United States of America.
Speaker 9: The measure was approved in a House vote Tuesday. The measure fund's ice and border patrol through the end of Trump's term. It includes thirty eight billion dollars for ICE and twenty six billion for border patrol. The bill's passage comes after a government shutdown in weeks of delays before it finally cleared the Senate last week. Millions of people across the Midwest and north the East are under a severe weather threat that's expected to intensify tonight. The multi day severe weather threat is forecast to bring storms capable of producing large hail, damaging wind gusts and tornadoes. By Thursday, the threat shifts and extends into the Ohio Valley and the Northeast. The murder conviction for a black Texas high school track star who killed a white opponent is being appealed by his lawyers. Carmelo Anthony fatally stabbed Austin Metcalf during a fight at a competition last year in the Dallas suburb of Frisco. He's been sentenced to thirty five years in prison. You're listening to the latest on NBC News Radio.
Speaker 12: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire. If you want a pathway to a high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Training Center dot org.
Speaker 3: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be, Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on Caseyaa every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, Better World.
Speaker 9: President Trump's approval rating on the economy is at a record low. According to a new economist you gov poll. Michael Kashner reports.
Speaker 13: Just twenty nine percent of Americans said they approve of the president's handling of the economy. Well sixty three percent disapprove. The poll found that Americans have an increasingly bleak economic outlook. At the start of Trump's current term, thirty seven percent said the economy was getting worse. Now that number is at fifty seven percent. Big issues of concern were food and gas prices. This woman stopped the pump at twenty dollars.
Speaker 7: That's all I can afford right now with the prices.
Speaker 4: They're so expensive right now.
Speaker 9: I'm Michael Kassner in California today, about two thousand SOFI Stadium hospitality workers are voting on a new contract. Daniel Martindale has details.
Speaker 14: It comes two days before the opening World Cup match at the venue in Inglewood. On Tuesday, the Food and Beverage Workers Union Unite Here Local eleven tentatively agreed to a new contract with the stadium's food service operator, Legends Global. Union members had overwhelmingly authorized the strike. Concessions. Stand attendants are reportedly being offered a forty percent pay increase in premium pay for mega events like the World Cup. Workers would also be allowed to walk off the job if the union determines ICE agents are putting their safety and security at risk.
Speaker 9: The NYPD says heavy security measures are in place around Madison Square Garden as the Knicks prepared to take on the Spurs in Game four of the NBA Finals. Natalie Migliori is in New York.
Speaker 15: The NYBD is setting up frozen zones and only allowing one thousand ticketed fans to attend the watch party outside the garden, with owner James Dolan calling the police commissioner a mayor party pooperst.
Speaker 9: And The NBA Finals continue tonight with the Spurs hoping to even the best of seven series at two games apiece when they square off against the Knicks from Madison Square Garden. San Antonio avoided a three to nothing deficit after Victor Wembanyama led the team with thirty two points in a close victory. Lisa carton NBC News Radio.
Speaker 2: Ten fifty am, don't forget that number. And for you young people who got here by accidentally fat fingering your FM band select there We're an AM radio station, and AM refers to more than just the time of day.
Speaker 4: It's a bird, it's a plan.
Speaker 16: No, it's super raw. Okay, a gimmicky opening for a commercial about Superwroth universal life insurance, but I'm sure it got your attention.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 16: What is a super.
Speaker 2: Wroth, you ask. It's a permanent indexed.
Speaker 16: Universal life insurance that's totally liquid and easily accessible once it matures. Can be used to supplement retirement savings or a death benefit or both. Has no income or contribution limit, has no five year rule like roth iras, has no ten percent penalty for accessing the funds before age fifty nine and a half. Oh, and the average historical returns are five to seven percent annually tax freight. Super Roths also lock in gains, which means you don't lose your money when the market is down. It sounds incredible, right, sounds super super roths are the way of the future, specifically your future. To see if you qualify for a super Roth, go online to the superwroth dot com.
Speaker 2: Key digits Lock them in for more information, recreation and guaranteed fun casey ten fifty AM.
Speaker 8: This segment sponsored by our friends at the All News. Sammy's Restaurant. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa at Exit eighty eight off the ten Freeway, next to the Jack in the Box in the former Bob's Big Boy Restaurant. Not to name drop, but Sammy's in the former Bob's is a lot like Norms. It has an extensive menu with multiple restaurants in rialto in places like Upland and Ranchukumonga. Samm's is a great place to dine. Their menu is very similar with their American trio of delicious steak, shrimp, and chicken and an expansive menu. You won't go hungry and you won't go broke at Sammy's. You can come meet Sammy and his family. Sammy was a chief cook for Norms for years and it shows in his menu. Sammy's is a great place to meet the family, friends, or have a community meeting. You can ask about their private meeting room available for parties of fifteen or more on a first come, first serve basis. Sammy's is now open from six am to nine pm every day at five point forty sandal would drive off of Exit eighty eight at the ten Freeway in Kalamesa. Look for the Big Boy statue. It's still there. We thanks Sammy for returning to this station as a loyal sponsor. You can find more info about Sammy's at Samy'scafe dot Net. At Samy'scafe dot Net well, you can also find discount coupons to save money. And by the way, Sammy's has free Wi Fi too. Sammy's and Kalamesa Ray also one of their other locations, are ready to serve you. Sammy's is now open in Kalamesa.
Speaker 12: The Tahbo Tea Club is the only FDA registered manufacturer of original pure powdy Arco Tohbo Tea in the United States. The tea is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new cells, and it can truly be miraculous for someone finding a potentially life threatening disease due to an infection, diabetes, or cancer. Just fifty nine to ninety five with free shipping. Call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight that's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight, or visit to Hebot Club dot com. To Hebo is spelled ta h ee b like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club. So the complete website is to hebot club dot com or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. That's eight one eight sixty one zero eight zero eight eight.
Speaker 1: NBC News on kcaa lovel sponsored by Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two protecting the Future of Working Families Teamsters nineteen thirty two dot org.
Speaker 9: NBC News Radio. I'm Lisa Carton. President Trump says the US will be attacking Iran very hard. Speaking from the Oval Office this morning, Trump said more attacks are coming following yesterday strikes and retaliation for the downing of a US helicopter near the Strait of Wormuz.
Speaker 10: The US military targeted about twenty different locations inside Iran, including radar stations, missile defense systems, air defense systems. No reports of any casualties there. Significantly, the US didn't target any Iranian cities or its leaders.
Speaker 9: NBC's Richard Engel reporting Iran responded with a tax on US targets in the Middle East. President Trump has signed a bill to fund immigration enforcement. Speaking from the Oval Office today, the President said it will give Ice and Border Patrol the resources they need to keep America safe.
Speaker 4: For more than one hundred.
Speaker 11: Days, Congressional Democrats tried to block all funding for the Department of Homeland Security in a reprehensible attempt to throw open the borders of the United States of America.
Speaker 9: The measure was approved in a House vote Tuesday. In the measure fund's ice and border patrol through the end of Trump's term. It includes thirty eight billion dollars for ice and twenty six billion for border patrol. The bill's passage comes after a government shutdown in weeks of delays before it finally cleared the Senate last week. Millions of people across the Midwest and Northeast are under a severe weather threat that's expected to intensify tonight. The multi day severe weather threat is forecast to bring storms capable of producing large hail, damaging wind gusts and tornadoes. By Thursday, the threat shifts and extends into the Ohio Valley and the Northeast. The murder conviction for a black Texas high school track star who killed a white opponent is being appealed by his lawyers. Carmelo Anthony fatally stabbed Austin Metcalf during a fight at a competition last year in the Dallas suburb of Frisco. He's been sentenced to thirty five years in prison. You're listening to the latest on NBC News Radio.
Speaker 12: Located in the heart of San Bernardino, California, the Teamsters Local nineteen thirty two Training Center is designed to train workers for high demand, good paying jobs and various industries throughout the Inland Empire.
Speaker 4: If you want a pathway.
Speaker 12: A high paying job and the respect that comes with a union contract, visit nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org to enroll today. That's nineteen thirty two Trainingcenter dot org.
Speaker 3: There's never been a better time for men to be whoever they want to be. Yet it's never been less clear who men really are. Guys Guy Radio, starring author Robert Manny, is on Caseyaa every Wednesday at eight pm. Whether it's relationships, sex, wellness, or spirituality, join Robert as he interviews the experts about how men and women can be at their best. Guys Guy Radio, Better Men, Better worlds.
Speaker 2: Hey you yeah, you do? You know where you are? Well, you've done it. Now. You're listening to Caseyaa Loma Linda, your CNBC News station, So expect the unexpected.