Speaker 1: Brian was the kind of neighbor you expected to see every day until one day he simply wasn't there anymore. It was a stark and strange change, and as the days of his absence turned into weeks and then turned into months, subtle signs began to surface that something inside is now quiet home wasn't right. Then, when the truth was finally uncovered, it exposed a disturbing reality that was hidden just out of view. This is the story of Brian Egg.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingram.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast. Warning the following podcasts and material intended foreman your audience listener discretion. I have a joke for you. Do you Why was Cinderella so bad at soccer?
Speaker 2: Ah, I'm terrible. I don't know, I don't know, I'm terrible. Jokes.
Speaker 1: She kept running away from the ball.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I should have gotten that one. Actually, that's real good. That's good.
Speaker 1: I figured it would be a good way to start our Friday, sitting here with a little bit of a joke, you know, get a smile on her face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I freaking love Cinderella. I would say that's my favorite Disney movie.
Speaker 1: Mine would be Hercules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I knew that.
Speaker 1: I knew yours was Cinderella.
Speaker 2: I even have a tattoo, married gorilla tattoo.
Speaker 1: I know what does it say?
Speaker 2: It says it's on my foot. Have courage and be kind.
Speaker 1: There we go a little bit of inspiration to go along with your smiling Friday for the Yes, Yes, we have an interesting story for you today. It's a bit of a weird one. It's got an interesting twist. Yeah, I guess it's all. I'm really safe for now. There's a lot to go with it. But are you ready for it?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean why not?
Speaker 1: Let's do her Are you as ready for the story as you were ready for the snow we woke up to this morning, Yes, almost the end of March, and we just got like two inches of snow overnight.
Speaker 2: Our weather has been a bit interesting this year in this sense. We've had many false springs.
Speaker 1: We've had a lot this year. But I will grant you this snow will be melted probably by the end of the day. Probably, But I'm just ready for the sun to shine in the warm weather. Yeah, but you guys are probably like, shut up I'm ready for the case, So let's get on the case.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: So there's a certain comfort in routine, especially in a city where everything is constantly moving. People pass each other on the same sidewalk every day. Maybe they're nodding politely or exchanging small talk, or simply just existing side by side without ever acknowledging one another or really stopping to think about it, but one way or another, over time, those familiar faces simply become part of your background. They're expected, dependable, almost invisible, even in their consistency, Like the person who comes and replaces the water jug in an office building every Friday, sort of say, he's there, You expect to see him, and it's just a part of what your life has become.
Speaker 2: And when it's a different person, you're like, what the heck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, things can feel different, and it's not unusual to notice when something new does appear, too, But it's far easier to overlook when something quietly disappears. Maybe it's a missed wave from a friendly face, or an empty doorway, or a routine that suddenly stops without explanation. At first, it's easy to brush. I mean, yeah, sure, people get busy plans, changed life pulls us in different directions all the time, but as days turn into weeks, that absence can start to feel much heavier and much harder to ignore, like a small detail that doesn't quite fit anymore. And sometimes the most unsettling part isn't what's obvious, it's what sits, just out of sight, blending into that ordinary, waiting long enough that no one thinks to question it until it's far too late. But before anything in this story was out of place, there was a sixty five year old man living in a quiet life in San Francisco, California. His name was Brian Egg, and to people who knew him, or even those who just passed by him, he was a constant, the kind of person you don't really think about at first until one day they're suddenly not there anymore now. Brian lived in the South of Market district, better known as SOMA. It's a busy part of the city that's always changing and always moving, you know, that kind of thing, But somehow Brian didn't really change with it. For over four decades, he stayed rooted in the same place, in his small home on Clara Street. Now his place wasn't anything flashy. It was just a modest, older house tucked into the neighborhood. But it was his and it had been for the most of his adult life. Now there he kept his life simple, really simple in fact. You see, Brian wasn't into technology. He had no cell phone, no computer, no social media, nothing like that. And if you wanted to reach him, you had to call his home phone, or more likely, you just ran into him outside on the street somewhere, and most people did. Because Brian was almost always out and about. He had a routine, and not just a loose one. This was the kind of routine people could rely on, like set their watch by sort of thing. Every day, you'd see him walking through the neighborhood, sometimes with a dog or carrying something or you know, sometimes just taking time to go for a stroll. But he'd stop and he'd talk to people. He'd check in, he'd ask how they were doing, you know, you name it. It was clear he was never in a rush. He also took care of things that weren't technically his responsibility. If there was trash in the alley, well, you could bet Brian would be picking it up. If someone had plants, outside and they were going dry, he would water them. Sometimes he'd even actually give plants away, and then when they're sitting outside the neighbor's house or whatever, he'd even quietly keep taking care of them himself so the owner didn't have to worry about it.
Speaker 2: Oh my, he sounds just like a beautiful soul.
Speaker 1: Really, one hundred percent, Brian is a beautiful soul. And of course, like these aren't things he's doing for attention either. It was just how he lived, it was who he was, and all in all he was a familiar face, not just a familiar individual, not just that familiarity, but he was also very reliable. People expected to see Brian. You could almost set your watch by him, as I said. And in a city where neighbors often come and go without much connection, Brian he was different. He made the place feel smaller, more personal, like a community or even home. Now. Earlier in his life, Brian had worked at a place called the Stud, a well known bar in the city with a long history. Was a part of his past though, and after that he got by doing odd jobs, living frugally and making just enough money to stay afloat. And that's how he liked it. But what really stood out about Brian wasn't where he worked or how much money he had, It was how he treated people. Brian had a habit of helping those who needed at most. If someone was struggling down in their luck or just needed a place to stay for a while. I mean, he would often open his door with no big questions or expectations. There was just help whenever Brian could. And that generosity was a very defined part of who he was.
Speaker 2: So he may not even have enough money for himself, but he'll always make sure that he can help someone else.
Speaker 1: He was the give the shirt off his back kind of person. Gosh, okay, and I honestly have a feeling. I don't know this factually, but I just have this feeling that I'm sure there would have been a situation or two where he probably literally did give the shirt off his back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just from someone who doesn't live in like a huge city. When I go to a big cities, they can feel pretty lonely, So it's kind of nice just to hear that he almost to people around him makes them not feel lonely.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely now for years, I mean decades, really, that's exactly how he lived and who he was now by the time of summer of twenty eighteen. Sometime in late May or possibly early June of that year, Brian was seen outside his home on Clara Street doing one of the things that he become, you know, almost second nature to him. Really. He was cleaning the surrounding area, picking up litter in ten to the alleyways and sidewalks nearby, making sure things were clean in public. It was the small, everyday thing that defined who he was, and because it was so typical of him, it didn't likely stand out to anyone who was passing by. In fact, it would have seemed even reassuring more than anything else. But after finishing up, Brian returned to his house and it seemed to be a completely ordinary end to a completely ordinary day. But what makes that moment significant was not what was seen, but what was not seen, because in the days that followed, Brian simply wasn't around like he usually was. At first, it didn't exactly raise any concern. In a busy neighborhood, it's easy to go for a short period of time without crossing paths with someone, right, even if they are a regular, inconsistent presence. People may have assumed that he was inside or resting, possibly out at a different time of day than usual. There's no clear reason, at least initially, to believe that anything was seriously be wrong. However, as more time passed, his absence in the neighborhood became harder to ignore. The daily pattern people had grown used to well, they were no longer there, and as the days turned two weeks, the lack of any sign of Brian began to stand out more and more clearly to the people who knew him, and even those who only even those who only knew him in just passing, just seen him before, they couldn't see him anymore, and they didn't know why now. His absence didn't immediately trigger any sort of alarm in the formal sense, but it did begin to create a unique unease. But that same unease soon began to shift when Brian's family, who lived out of state, started trying to reach him and were unable to get hold of him. See his brother, who was used to speaking with him quite regularly, attempted to call him on his home phone, expecting the usual outcome one of two is either Brian picks up or the call simply goes unanswered. What he encountered instead, though, was something that immediately felt off. For the first time ever, the call was directed to voicemail, and Brian had never been known to use an answering machine in the past before because remember, as I said, Brian kept his life simple, intentionally simple, avoiding most forms of technology. So the sudden appearance of a voicemail system where there hadn't been one before was enough to raise some questions. Now if that weren't strange enough, but made the situation even more unsettling was the voice on the recording itself, because it wasn't Brian. Now, the message sounded unfamiliar and was delivered by someone his brother just didn't recognize. So, wanting to be sure that you know, it had not been some kind of mistake, he checked the number and he called it again. This time, instead of being sent to voicemail, someone actually answered the phone. On that call, The man on the other end identified himself as Nate, and when he was asked about Brian will this, Nate responded in a calm and casual manner, explaining Brian wasn't available at the moment, and you know he was supposedly out walking the dog. He reassured Brian's brother that he would pass along the message and have Brian return the call.
Speaker 2: This is really odd. It is the even just having a voicemail would probably have been something his brother would know that he would have told him about.
Speaker 1: It right easily. He would picked up on that right.
Speaker 2: Away, because it would have been a big deal for Brian exactly.
Speaker 1: However, there is a caveat that goes with this. The explanation. It was simple enough, and given Brian's known habit of allowing people to stay at his home from time to time, it wasn't entirely impossible that someone else might be there, even maybe hooking up their answering machine on his phone for a few days.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I suppose so.
Speaker 1: But even so, something about the interaction didn't quite feel right. Days went by again, and there was no return call that ever came. Brian didn't reach out to his family, and the explanation given over the phone remained up in the air. Now, while Brian's family was beginning to feel that something clearly was wrong, a similar realization was slowly taking shape much closer to Brian's home in the Soma neighborhood of San Francisco. The absence of Brian was becoming harder and harder for everyone to ignore. People were talking to each other, and the more they discussed it, the clearer it became that this wasn't normal behavior for Brian, because, I mean, he had spent years establishing this visible and steady presence around the neighborhood, and that consistency worked against any assumption that he simply left town, because if he'd gone somewhere, that too would have been out of character for him to disappear without saying anything to anyone, especially for an extended period of time. He talked with people daily, it would have come up. One of the people most affected by this growing concern was a neighbor and longtime friend named Scott Free, who had known Brian for years. It'd even worked with each other in the past, and when Brian stopped, you know, appearing, it stood out right away to Scott. Now, its concerns continued to build. Neighbors began using online community platforms I'm assuming places like Facebook or whatever to spread awareness and ask if anyone had seen or heard of Brian. Posts started circulating with people sharing what they knew and trying to piece together when you know Brian had last been seen at the same time, some neighbors took a more direct approach. They went to Brian's house. They knocked on the door and waited for an answer, but it never came. There was no sign of any sort of activity that was going on, no indication that he was inside, and no way to confirm whether he was even there at all. But made the situation especially unsettling was the lack of any sort of clear explanation. As far as anyone could tell, there was no reason for Brian to leave like this, and as concern within the neighborhood continued, it eventually reached to a point where residents felt it was necessary to involve law enforcement. Multiple neighbors began contacting the police to request a welfare check on Brian Egg, explaining that he'd not been seen in weeks and his sudden disappearance was not like him. So officers obliged, and they responded to those requests and visited Brian's home on Clara's Street several times during August. Each time they had approached the same sort of way, police would come up to the door. They'd knock and wait for a response. When no one answered, they left the property. They couldn't see signs of forced entry. There was no visible disturbance and nothing that clearly indicated a crime had taken place. So without those indicators, officers had no legal grounds to enter the home without permission. There was simply nothing else that they can do. Police were also looking at the belief that Brian might simply be away from his home. The voicemail message that callers had begun encountering when they tried to actually reach him, along with this phone line, it also gave the impression that Brian would return at some point, which from an investigative standpoint, it doesn't immediately contradict the idea that he could be out of town. Although neighbors continued to express concern and request additional checks, each visit by the police resulted in the same outcome, with no contact, no visible signs of trouble, and no further action being taken.
Speaker 2: I kind of love that he didn't have like a lot of technology and stuff, but then now that something is kind of clearly going wrong, it makes it a lot more difficult to communicate to make sure he is okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's definitely benefits to having a cell phone in your pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah. Or say he did just go on a holiday or something, and you know, maybe he would post on Facebook a little photo and then everyone would be like, oh, okay, like Brian's okay.
Speaker 1: Right, Like where's Brian? Don't let's check his Instagram. We go and we just see Brian getting like drunk in an all inclusive Mexican resort or something like, hell yeah, Brian lived.
Speaker 2: Brian's living his best life exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, looking back on this period, it would later be seen as a very critical window of time because it was during these early welfare checks that if Brian's disappearance might have been investigated more, the truth about what was unfolding inside his home it may have come to light much sooner, and perhaps it would have provided much needed information now as the days passed and concern around Brian continued to build. At this point, the uncertainty surrounding Brian's disappearance had largely been based on what wasn't happening, for example, him not appearing in the neighborhood, the lack of communication, the unanswered door, that sort of thing. But now there was something new to focus on. People began noticing unfamiliar individuals coming and going from Brian's home on Clara Street. Now, as I mentioned, Brian had a history of helping people who were struggling, and it wasn't uncommon for him to offer temporary shelter to those in need. However, what stood out in this situation was not just the presence of these individuals, but the way they appeared to be using his home as if it were their own. Neighbors observed them entering leaving regularly, without any sign of Brian himself, and without any indication that he was even still living there alongside them. Usually, if Brian had allowed someone to stay in his home, his own routine would typically remain unchanged. He would still be seen outside continuing his daily habits. But instead, what people were witnessing was a complete absence of him, fined with the ongoing activity of strangers at his residence.
Speaker 2: This is really alarming, yeah.
Speaker 1: And the longer this continued on, the more concerning it became for everyone, and neighbors quickly began to question who these individuals were and why they were even there in the first place. The whole situation was wrong, like something had been taken over in Brian's absence. Reports were soon made to the police once again, with neighbors explaining that not only was Brian still missing, but there were now unknown individuals occupying his house, which added a complete new layer to the situation, shifting it further away from a routine welfare check closer to something that required almost a deeper investigation. But still, despite this, the response didn't immediately change in any sort of meaningful way, because it was still difficult to prove that a crime had taken place. The individual scene at the house were not actively engaging in behavior your that could be clearly identified as criminal from the street, and without direct evidence, the situation remained in that kind of legal gray area.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I feel like if we were his neighbor, we would just be obsessed with him and just love him, and I would just like go and freakin' break the door, break the door down, and be like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: For sure, But as far as like police are aware, Like, who knows, these people could be out of town friends who are starting to house it for Brian while he's on vacation. Maybe Brian has a family member or a friend who's in the hospital, a state over or something, and these people are watching his place while he's gone.
Speaker 2: I know there are a lot of reasons why they could be there, but I don't know. Still, especially for these people that know how strict he is with his routine, Like, you can see why they would be very uneasy about all this.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, don't get me wrong, Like they have every right to be concerned, but when.
Speaker 2: It comes down to what you can do about it, Yeah, in the.
Speaker 1: Eyes of the law, there needs to be reason for concern other than while we don't know these people, well, Brian.
Speaker 2: Might Yeah, yeah, because how well every did people really know Brian right exactly?
Speaker 1: So there's always questions and they need evidence before they can act. So up until this point, there had been unanswered questions and unusual activity, but nothing had definitively pointed to a serious thing happening inside this home. But that changed when the diligent neighbors who were keeping their eyes peeled started noticing that the individuals now living in Brian's home were engaging in to what appeared to be a very intense and continuous cleaning effort.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you're freaking kidding me now.
Speaker 1: It was an effort that was not the kind of light tiding that might follow someone moving into a new space or reorganizing a home, or even spring cleaning. Nothing like that. Instead, it was described as excess and aggressive. One of the first signs was the presence of soap and water seeping out from underneath the front door of the house. People walking by could see SuDS being pushed outwards and pouring onto the ground. Also, there was a very strong and persistent smell that began to emanate and linger around the property, a very familiar one. It was bleach. Oh no, this was obviously not just a matter of someone maintaining a home. It looked much more like an attempt to thoroughly sanitize or remove something.
Speaker 2: Yeah here, At first I was thinking they were like getting rid of a shit or something. But yeah, this is ominous. Yeah, it really gives you an unsettling feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, In addition to the cleaning, neighbors also reported seeing parts of the home being painted over as well, including areas near the front entrance.
Speaker 2: Which a guest would just never do. A guest isn't going to be painting your American house exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, for those neighbors, friends, and concern community members watching from nearby. The situation, of course, was not right, and it put a knot in everyone's stomach, even though if we continue down the road of Devil's Advocate with this, we might think like maybe Brian hired people to do a deep clean or renos while Brian had lived in the same home for decades is the thing, without making any major changes or renovations, and his habits had always been consistent. So the sudden disappearance of him, the sudden appearance of these individuals, the sudden appearance of heavy cleaning and strong chemicals and visible alterations to the property, it just straight up didn't match what anyone knew or have seen a Brian before. And at this point concern among neighbors began to escalate into urgency. It wasn't just concerned, it was something's not right. Clearly, we need to have some sort of intervent. And it was in early August now, which meant no one had seen Brian for about six or eight weeks, and the situation had reached a point where this concern could no longer be dismissed or explained away. It was on August seventh, twenty eighteen, Brian's sister made the decision to formally report him missing, and this marked a very significant shift in how this situation was handled, because up until that point, there had been some attempts to check in on Brian, but there was no confirmation of his condition or whereabouts. But this wasn't until a week later, on August fourteenth, that everything about the story changed. This time, neighbors noticed a professional cleaning crew was now parked outside the property. However, this was not an ordinary service vehicle or routine maintenance. Based on what they observed, it appeared to be a specialized cleaning company, the kind typically associated with biohazard or crime scene cleaning. And what made this so alarming was the fact that officially no crime had been reported at the house, yet Brian was missing, and that was it. So if nothing had happened, why was a cleanup crew being brought in, And if something had happened, why had no one been told. The reaction from neighbors was immediate, and multiple calls were placed to nine to one point one, with residents describing what they were seeing and expressed urgent concern about what might be going on in that home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just listening to this, this is making me feel sick.
Speaker 1: When officers responded to the scene that day, it was no longer just a welfare check based on a lack of contact. The circumstances surrounding the home had changed the volume of calls from neighbors. It all made it very clear that something wasn't right, and for the first time since since Brian had last been seen, the situation was finally being approached with a level of urgency that matched what those around him had already begun to feel. And this time, instead of being met with an unanswered door, police instead made their way inside and made contact. Inside his home, officers encountered a man later identified as Robert McCaffrey. He was not someone known to the neighborhood, and more importantly, he was not Brian. When questioned about why he was at the house, Robert claimed that he was there to pay the cleaning crew. According to reports, he even had a significant amount of cash on him, while he indicated though, that the cash was meant for the purpose of paying the cleaning crew. However, the explanation raised more questions than it answered, because officers quickly learned that the cleaning service had not been paid for in cash at all, but had instead been arranged to be paid using Brian's financial information. That fact introduced a new and serious concern because if he was missing, which he had been reported missing, then it meant someone was using Brian's identity to access his money. As officers continued to assess the situation inside the home, they began to notice additional strange details too. Despite all the chemicals and cleaning, there was a very strong and unpleasant odor presence in this house. It was just hanging in the air, one that had not been noticed during the earlier visits from outside the property, knocking in the front door, and plus there was still no sign of Brian anywhere. Now, based on the circumstances at hand, Robert was quickly detained and taken into custody, and not long after that police identified a second individual connected with the situation too, someone named Lance Silva. Now, unlike Robert, Lance was not found at the house, but he was located shortly afterwards at a nearby hotel and also taken into custody. The two men were believed to have been staying in Brian's home and were now directly tied to the disappearance and suspen vicious activity that was taking place there. When both men were arrested, it was on a range of charges including identity theft, financial crimes related to the use of Brian's account, and a couple others, but there were also They were also initially booked on suspicion of homicide too, although investigation investigator sorry had not located Brian himself, so it was only on suspicion at this point. But despite the arrests, there was still no confirmation of what had actually happened to Brian. Soon investigators began doing their thing, trying to figure out what was going on, and this included looking beyond the house itself, and in this case, it started with Brian's finances, where there was already strong evidence suggesting someone had been actively using his identity to access his money, and as detectives worked through the financial records, a clear picture started to form transactions had in fact been made using Brian's account during the very period when no one had been able to reach him. Among the most notable discoveries was the purchase of a used BMW car reportedly bought using Brian's information now. Further investigation tied that purchase directly back to Lance, as documentation related to the vehicle was later found in his possession and surveillance footage reportedly showed him retrieving the car after it had been towed at one point. In addition to the vehicle's purchase, there were also signs that Brian's account had been accessed and used in various other ways. For example, payments had been made, services had been arranged, and funds had been moved, all within without I should say, any confirmation that Brian himself was involved.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that is like really not good. Yeah, so this case is just gonna got me. I think.
Speaker 1: I can't say anything, but we can continue. I know it pisses you off when I do that.
Speaker 2: I know, but like, yeah, you have to continue. But it's just like all I mean, we're all just sitting on the edge of our seats. I think we kind of have a feeling of what's happened here. But you're also like, frick, you fell in love with Brian and he needs to be Okay.
Speaker 1: Brian was a good soul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a beautiful soul.
Speaker 1: I said, beautiful soul's good way of doing it. Yeah. But now with both Robert and Lands and custody and then mounting evidence around them, investigators turned their full attention back to the one place that seemed most likely to hold answers, which was Brian's house. A search warrant was quickly obtained, allowing law enforcement to conduct a thorough and unrestricted examination of the property, and despite the relative small size of the house, the search stretched across multiple days as investigators worked very carefully through each and every room looking for any indication of what had happened or where Brian might be. And right from the beginning there were signs that something was not right. That persistent, unpleasant odor inside the home was hanging in the air. Still, the smell was difficult to place, and it seemed to shift depending on where they were standing, making it very challenging to determine its exact source. At times, it appeared stronger in certain areas, only to fade again, and then investigators would move closer trying to create it. Created this whole frustrating and disorienting search process is what I'm trying to really get at here. They couldn't exactly pin it so to assist in locating the smell and any potential remains. Cadaver dogs were brought in. Now the dogs immediately reacted to the environment, signaling that there was in fact the scent of decomposition somewhere within the home, but unfortunately, they too couldn't pinpoint the exact location of where it was coming from. However, they had that acknowledgment, which was big. The layout of the house combined with earlier cleaning efforts it seemed to complicate it, but they had this knowledge that somewhere in there was what they were looking for, and investigators continued working methodically, examining space like hidden spaces, storage areas in any part of the home that could conceal anything, and after several days of searching, the investigation inside the home of Brian Egg finally reached a point where the source of the smell could no longer remain hidden. It was simply only a matter of time until it was found, and it was on August seventeenth, twenty eighteen, when investigators focused their attention on a concealed area in the house that they had found had not been obvious earlier on in the searches, but when they found it, the space was located beneath a staircase, partially obscured and easy to overlook without a very deliberate and thorough examination. Now I'm not exactly sure how it was concealed. I've heard some stuff in reports saying it was behind a bookcase, or others saying it was walled off. Either way, it was hidden well, and once access to the area was gained, officers encountered a confined storage space that appeared to have been intentionally hidden from view. When they stepped inside the space, a strong, overwhelming smell of chemicals and decay washed over them, and there in front of them they found a large fish tank. At first, the tank itself may have seemed to be out of place in a storage area like this, but it quickly became clear that it was not being used for anything ordinary, because position within the tank, submerged in liquid was what investigators soon recognized as human remains.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Now, the condition of the remains made immediate identification difficult for starters. The body had been somewhat butchered. It consisted of a torso with the head and hands missing, and the remains were in advanced state of decomposition, likely from the chemical solution that they were being submerged in. Investigators also noted the presence of empty containers associated with drain cleaning chemicals in the surrounding area, suggesting exactly what the liquid in the tank was and how it had been intentionally used in an attempt to break down or conceal the remains. But all in all, the scene was both shocking and methodically concealed on purpose. The location of the tank, hidden beneath the stairs and block from view, it showed that whoever was responsible had taken the steps to both hide the remains and eliminate any traces of what had occurred as much as possible. Following the discovery, the remains were soon transported to the Medical Examiner's office for formal identification and examination, and though the head and hands were removed and nowhere to be found, through DNA testing, the remains were ultimately confirmed to be that of Brian Egg.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. Okay, I mean I saw this coming obviously, but that is just okay. So there are some freaking bastards out there that just took complete advantage of him and his kindness is what I'm assuming has happened here.
Speaker 1: That's the likely scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, holy shit, that is so so so.
Speaker 1: Sad, Like one of the world's kindest souls, like the kindest kind of person you could imagine, and they did this to him.
Speaker 2: The person that gives someone a plant and then takes care of it. Okay, Like I don't know that. It just makes you sit here and feel what is this world really? You know?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you want me to continue or you need to keep decompressing here?
Speaker 2: No, you can continue, Okay.
Speaker 1: So with identification established, attention then turn to trying to determine his cause of death. Now, despite the condition of his body, which had been significantly affected by the decomp and chemical exposure, the medical examiner was able to identify several key findings. The cause of death was ultimately ruled as blunt force trauma, indicating that Brian had been subjected to a violent physical force prior to his death. There were fractures present, including broken ribs, as well as damage to part of the spine. These injuries were consistent with repeat impact, suggesting that the force used against him was not isolated to a single moment, but occurred over a period of time. While the full sequence of events could not be reconstructed, with certainty. The evidence made it clear that the attack had been severe and prolonged.
Speaker 2: What the shit does that mean that it was they were torturing him?
Speaker 1: Basically, we don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that makes it almost seem.
Speaker 1: Worse, I know now. The absence of the head and hands was particularly significant, as those parts of the body are often used for identification, and their removal suggests an attempt to delay, hide or complicate identification, making it more difficult for investigators to confirm the victim's identity. But despite that, the use of DNA ultimately ensured Brian could be identified. I think people kind of forget that DNA exists. Now I'll remove the head and hands, dental records, fingerprints, it's called DNA dumbass.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, these people are stupid too, because they're also living in his house and taking over his life, and this partial dead body is in the basement, like it's would not take a rocket scientists to figure this shit out, yeah at all.
Speaker 1: So, with the remains of Brian being identified and the cause of death officially ruled a homicide, investigators move forward with what appeared to be the next logical step, holding those who had already been detained accountable, and soon prosecutors moved to charge both the men with homicide in addition to elder abuse, fraud, and a range of financial offenses tied to the use of Brian's identity and as assets. On the surface, the case was all coming together. The suspects had been living in Brian's home, they had access to his belongings, there was clear evidence of financial exploitation occurring after his disappearance. Combined with the discovery of the body inside the house, it seemed like a strong foundation for a prosecution, almost a slam dunk, if you will, But that foundation began to weaken and fracture almost as quickly as it had formed. See, despite the severity of the charges and the disturbing nature of the evidence, the San Francisco District Attorney's office determined that there was not enough direct evidence to proceed with. The homicide case at hand is that a joke. Critical elements were missing, including definitive proof linking either man to the act of killing Brian. While the circumstances were highly suspicious, suspicion alone was not enough to meet the legal threshold required to move forward with a murder prosecution. As a result, the charges began to unravel.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have trouble with that because I'm sorry, but this man is dead and these people are living in his house. That's just not okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, but here's the thing. Can you argue in a court of law that they had a hand in his murder? Maybe maybe they just went into his home and were squatting and had no idea Briand's body was hidden downstairs or anything, and they were just simply trying to get rid of the smell. Can you prove they had anything to do with it? Trust me, I get you. I'm with you. It's total fucking bullshit. However, law needs proof. Is there technically proof?
Speaker 2: I am aware of that. But also I don't know. You can't just let they got to be charged with something like you can't just let them go. Really this, I don't know. That's not really how the world works either.
Speaker 1: Well, since things were unred it didn't take long for the homicide charges against both men to be draped, pending further investigation and the possibility of new evidence emerging in the future.
Speaker 2: And what are they going to just let them continue living in this man's house, well.
Speaker 1: Not his house, but Ultimately they were released from custody. I mean, Robert was lance. He remained in jail only temporarily due to an unrelated probation violation. But in time though, he too was released. And for everyone, I mean, the outcome was very difficult to reconcile as far as I could find. And the look on your face is telling me you are feeling the same way.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I am not okay with this because regardless if they can't prove that they murdered him, they were living in his freaking house and using his shit and his money and stuff like that. They got to be able to keep him in there for quite some time while they're figuring this out, because this is bizarre to me.
Speaker 1: Well, as far as I know, they did face some minor charges in regard to theft and fraud that sort of thing, but outside of that, I mean, they just got away with murder.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I don't like this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough to swallow.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: Now, there had been a body, clear evidence of a violent death, and individuals directly connected with the victim, his home, his finances, Yet despite all of that, no one was being held legally responsible for the killing. Itself. In the gap between what seemed apparent and what could be proven in court, it became painfully clear, and in the span of just a few days, the case had moved from a major breakthrough to a stalled prosecution. What should have been a turning point, well it wasn't. It just stopped, and soon frustration began to spread widely throughout the neighborhood where Brian had lived for decades. For many of the residents in the Soma community, the outcome felt deeply unsettling, not only because of the violence of the crime itself or the charges being dropped, because of how long it had taken for the situation to finally be taken seriously in the first place. Neighbors had been raising concern for weeks before police made a decision to enter that home. They had noticed Brian's absence, you know, something that immediately stood out given how consistent and visible he'd always been. They had also reported the presence of the unfamiliar individuals coming and going from the house, along with the unusual activity that did not align with Brian's routine. And when those observations escalated into visible cleaning efforts, including the soap leaking under the door, the strong smell of bleach. Many felt the situation had already crossed into something far more serious. Yet despite every single one of those warning signs, early police visits had ended without further action, potentially losing precious evidence that could have convicted those responsible. Officers knocked at the door multiple times and received no answer, then left the property without going inside, simply assuming Brian left town or something. There must have been something else they could do beyond that. In hindsight, that assumption that he was just fine became the focal point of criticism, as it represented a period where vulnerable time may have been lost. Residents began to ask whether more could have been done sooner, and whether earlier entry into the home might have changed the course of the investigation. There were, of course, concerns about potential evidence being lost and altered during the time between initial welfare checks and the eventual search, and the extensive cleaning that had taken place inside that home only intensified every single one of those concerns everyone had. But whatever the case was, with no one being held accountable for the homicide, the sense of resolution that often follows an arrest or conviction never came. Instead, the case currently remains open, with key questions unanswered and the individuals initially suspected no longer facing charges related to Brian's death, And in the weeks and months that followed, as the investigation continued, attention gradually shifted away from the investigation itself and towards the life that had been lost. For those who knew Brian Egg personally, the case was never just about the details found inside his house. It was about the absence that now lingered in the neighborhood where he had once been in a constant presence. Brian had been the kind of person people noticed, not because he demanded attention, but because he was always there, whether it was tending to small tasks around the block, greeting neighbors politely, or quietly helping wherever he could. His routine had made him part of the very fabric of the community, and after his death, that absence became impossible to ignore. In response, members of the community came together to honor him. A vigil was held on what would have been his birthday, bringing together neighbors, friends, and those who had simply known him even in just passing. Candles were lit flowers were placed and stories were shared, many of them centered around the small, everyday moments that had defined Brian's life. Now, this vigil wasn't large or elaborate. It wasn't a huge, massive gathering, but instead it was small, simple and private, and it reflected the kind of person that he had been, someone who liked the simple things in life and whose impact was felt in those consistent, quiet ways. For his family, the aftermath was very complicated. Beyond the emotional toll of losing Brian himself, there were practical challenges that followed. His financial accounts had been accessed and used after his disappearance, creating additional layers of loss and untangling those issues required time and effort, and as they worked to regain control over what had been taken and trying to understand the full extent of the damage, it was difficult. There was also the matter of his home. The place where Brian had lived for years and where his life had ultimately ended, became a difficult space tied both to memory and tragedy. Eventually, his house was sold, and it marked a final physical separation from the place that had once been central to his daily life. For all of those who had known him. It was another reminder that things would not return to the way they had once been no matter what had happened. Brian's memory continues to be preserved in these small personal ways. Though neighbors speak about him, they share stories and remember the routines that had once seemed so ordinary, and in doing so they keep a version of him still alive that existed outside the investigation, one that was not defined by the way he died, but defined by the way he lived, and in many ways that became the only form of closure available today. The case of Brian Egg remains unfortunately unresolved. It is sitting in that uneasy space between what is known and what cannot be proven. Investigators were able to determine that Brian had in fact been killed and murdered, that his body had been dismembered, that the efforts were there to try and conceal his remains and identity, and all the evidence within his home. Yet despite those established facts, no one has been convicted in connection to his death. The two men initially arrested, Robert McCaffrey and Lance Silva, they were never ultimately held accountable for the homicide, and while both were linked to Brian's home and the use of his financial accounts. After his disappearance, investigators were just unable to produce the level of direct evidence required to secure a conviction. As a result, the most serious charges were dropped, leaving the case without a clear legal solution in the sense of murder. Are also key elements of the crime that also remain missing, ones that would have been disposed of during the early clean up methods. For example, the absence of Brian's head and hands continues to be one of the most significant gaps in the investigation, not because of what it represents, but because of what it could have potentially revealed. Their whereabouts have never been determined, and with that, any additional forensic evidence that might have helped clarify the timeline or circumstances of the crime were lost, and now the case is just stalled and it sits in a file as a cold case. While law enforcement has indicated they could move forward if additional evidence emerges, well, no such breakthrough has been made public, and for those who knew Brian, the lack of resolution leaves a lasting sense of incompleteness. What remains is only a collection of partial facts suspicion and unanswering questions that, when placed together, form a picture that is clear in some ways and deeply uncertain in others, like a large puzzle that is only partially complete. And in the end, the case is a disturbing discovery that it led to no clear answers. But what we do know is that Brian Egg did not simply disappear, and that his death was uncovered in one of the most unsettling ways imaginable, hidden in plain sight, within a gruesome scene in his own home. And yet, despite the intensity of the investigation and the attention it drew, the most important question remains unanswered. Who killed him? And how? Has it never been proven? And that's the story of Brian Egg.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely shitting me with this one.
Speaker 1: What that it's unsolved?
Speaker 2: Like, I am not okay with this case because you're telling me that someone can literally take over someone's life, murder them, hide their body in their home, and just get away with it. What's to stop them from doing this again? Then? Really, this is absolutely fuck to me.
Speaker 1: I know it's bonkers. I understand what the law is saying, but at the same sense, the circumstantial evidence is so fucking strong, you know what I mean. You're actively covering up the smell. He is tied to his bank account, he's living in his fucking home, and his body's in the hundred the stairs. How could that not be enough for a circumstantial conviction?
Speaker 2: Like I am almost sitting here thinking that you're pranking us. No, not because I cannot My brain can just not comprehend that this has happened. And in twenty eighteen, So like maybe I can think in the nineteen fifties or something, right when they're when we don't have stuff to be able to solve these cases, so well, but in twenty eighteen, I don't know. I'm not going to be able to live my day today. Like, this is just not okay. I am not okay.
Speaker 1: Well, do you want me to continue with the rest of the story.
Speaker 2: You're kidding right right now? I'm kidding, Ben, You're going to make people literally rage.
Speaker 1: No, that is the end it is. It is an unsolved case in the eyes and the law's eyes as the law.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but I can't believe it. I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a frustrating one. There should be a conviction on this. The circumstantial evidence is so strong, ridiculously so.
Speaker 2: Well, because these like can you believe that these two people are out there just living their life and probably laughing that they got away with this?
Speaker 1: Probably, but that is unbelievable that I think in itself is something that law enforcement may be able to benefit from if time passes and they speak of it to someone and we get a witness statement, that might be the key piece to finally putting him away.
Speaker 2: I guess. But also I don't know, like there's what, what are they going to find other.
Speaker 1: Than that, I guess, you know, confession or something might be the way to do it. Finding a confession, getting that to come out.
Speaker 2: This just this one just guts me, just the fact that this like how did you have it in there? How old he was?
Speaker 1: Uh? Was it fifty six?
Speaker 2: Oh so like not even really that old?
Speaker 1: Or was it sixty five? Sixty five? He was sixty five years old, okay.
Speaker 2: But still like so many more years of him that he could have just lived his life and he was he was a person that was benefiting our world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And honestly, for the simple fact on the kind soul that Brian was, he is one percent or badass of the day. He gifted plants to neighbors and then secretly took care of them for them.
Speaker 2: Well, and then you know, it's almost certain, really that these he probably I can almost be sure that he did some sort of act of kindness to these people.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm pretty certain too.
Speaker 2: And then they just they just dimmed his light.
Speaker 1: They snuffed his light. Yeah, they shattered that light bulb. They took it out of the socket, shattered it and stomped on it. And he was the brightest, fucking one of the brightest lights in the fucking world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, this one, this case is really really hard to digest.
Speaker 1: It's a tough one to swallow. Now, if you guys have some thoughts or opinions, feel free to reach out to us. We are happy to hear what you have to think on this case, whether it's email, social media links are in the description of this podcast. We are an independent podcast. We're here doing this because of you, and we get to keep doing this because of you. So thank you very much for listening, for the interactions you give, and even for the reviews those go so long and so far, with people being able to look at the reviews and say Hey, this is a cool podcast and I want to listen to as well, so it helps a lot. Thank you guys for being so amazing and until next time, stay wicked.
Speaker 2: Booh oh abo