Speaker 1: State your name and prison number.
Speaker 2: John Newton, FOLSOM three three seven.
Speaker 3: Five dash four, state your age, twenty seven charges on which you were convicted.
Speaker 2: Harboring a criminal, practicing medicine unlicensed manslaughter.
Speaker 1: Sentence now being served ten years.
Speaker 2: I've served two years and three months. I'm therefore up for parole, Up for parole.
Speaker 4: Tonight transcribed in New York, the first in an exciting new crime series based on authentic cases actually heard by parole boards and your state prisons, and reenacted here for the first time.
Speaker 5: Now, Harry Marble, Ladies and gentlemen, you are about to sit in judgment on another human being's freedom to decide whether he or she shall become your neighbor, your employee, perhaps your friend, or remain where you society have put him behind prison bars, or that human being is a social offender, a criminal.
Speaker 1: Now up for parole.
Speaker 5: Remember, at the close of tonight's broadcast, you can compare your own judgment with the official decision of an actual parole board, in this particular case, California's. I ask you, therefore, to listen carefully and consider seriously the story you are about to hear told from the officials records of John Newton, Alsome Prison number three three seven five dash four, now pleading before the parole board and before you record for his freedom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the facts of my crime and my conviction and my prison record. But there's more of my story than.
Speaker 6: The legal record. Is you read it.
Speaker 2: The very fact the criminal I harbored was my own brother, Joseph Newton is well, gentlemen, with your permission, I'd like to.
Speaker 6: Tell you the whole story.
Speaker 1: You may proceed.
Speaker 6: Newton, thank you. I'm up for parole here.
Speaker 2: Not my brother, but history is part of mine. You see, even when we were kids back home, people used to say, you never know they were brothers.
Speaker 6: It's so different, and by.
Speaker 2: The time we were grown up. Well, take the very night of my crime. I was only two days away from receiving my medical license. I just finished my internship. Joe was an outcast, disowned as an ex convict. I'd like to start with that night, gentlemen, we were giving one of the biggest parties of town I've ever seen, and for me, it was a double celebration. For one reason, in two days, I'd hang up my single under my dad's downtown and for another, I'd just been engaged to a wonderful girl. Well we never did get married, and her name doesn't appear in the record, but it was a great education. Everybody was congratulating me, and it was all I could do to get.
Speaker 6: A moment alone with my fiance.
Speaker 4: Darling.
Speaker 7: It's a wonderful party.
Speaker 8: I'm so proud of you.
Speaker 2: Just as long as you're happy, honey. But I see I wish they'd not go.
Speaker 9: Off and go home.
Speaker 7: What's the matter, john Oh? Nothing, You keep looking around as though you were expecting somebody.
Speaker 6: Oh what makes you say that?
Speaker 7: What do you mean, Johnny, that's a funny way to talk to me.
Speaker 1: What's the matter?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: Your brother, that's it, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yes, my no, good brother. Heaven knows where he is now. You know if you just like him to come busting in here after all these years?
Speaker 6: What are you looking at me like that for?
Speaker 9: I never heard you talk like that before.
Speaker 7: I know how you feel about your brother.
Speaker 2: Oh, how do you feel about it?
Speaker 8: About?
Speaker 2: What about having a jail bird for a brother in law?
Speaker 7: John You listen to me. I'm marrying you, not your brother, Joe. Forget him and stop looking around, Johnny, He's not coming. Forget him forget everything but us.
Speaker 2: All right, honey, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Well just a minute.
Speaker 2: The housekeepers looking for me. I'll be back in a second.
Speaker 6: You save me some champagne.
Speaker 10: Hey, swell party, Johnny, where's your time?
Speaker 6: You know how doctors a fella out on an emergency?
Speaker 2: Excuse me a second with you?
Speaker 6: And what is a brother?
Speaker 9: Mister John?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's matter?
Speaker 1: Brother, mister John? There's a man at the back door asking for the doctor.
Speaker 2: All right, brother, I'll take care of it.
Speaker 1: You wait here, doctor.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: My father is a doctor and he's on the case right now.
Speaker 9: He tells me you're a doctor.
Speaker 2: I will be in two days.
Speaker 9: Well what can I are your aren't you? Bud?
Speaker 2: I finished med school, but I can't practice until I get my state license.
Speaker 9: That's good enough. Come on, we're going for a ride?
Speaker 6: What what? Say?
Speaker 9: What is this emergency?
Speaker 11: But come on?
Speaker 2: I told you I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 11: You'll have to.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, you might as well know your kid, brother Joe.
Speaker 2: Now, what where is he?
Speaker 9: He's down town in your old man's office. Well you're coming? Does he hurt? Why do you think I came after a doctor?
Speaker 2: All right, let's go the minute we started down the drive. I knew I shouldn't have come. Joe always meant trouble, but then emergency was an emergency. Wheeling out the driveway with strape my dad's favorite tree and thinking as I was of Joe. That started me remembering me the time he ran the lawn more into that very same tree, the time he smashed the glass case of her dad's microscope, and the time he got caught taking home some chemicals from the high school chem lab.
Speaker 6: And we both got a.
Speaker 2: Lecture from the principal.
Speaker 3: Just a minute, sir, about that affair in high school the chemicals, Yes, sir, according to the district attorney's abstract, kid and an interview with the principal, you had persuaded your brother to steal the chemicals for you, so you produce some experiments at home.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 2: Well, yes, proceed, Sorry, yes, sir. We tore out the drive and on through town, and I couldn't get a word out of the driver, so I kept thinking about Joe, Joe, Joe always the bad boy, and myself Dad's boy, Mama's boy. I could almost hear my dad saying, John.
Speaker 12: Your mother and I just can't do a thing with Joe.
Speaker 1: Heaven only knows how he'll turn out.
Speaker 11: I guess we'll all.
Speaker 9: Have to pin our hopes on you. John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was there, boy. I went through high school, correction in school for Joe.
Speaker 6: College for me, and a new convertible for Joe.
Speaker 2: Stolen car in the reformatory, med school for me, the state pen for Joe.
Speaker 6: A gentleman of the board.
Speaker 2: My own brother had a number in this prison before I even started out that night on the ride.
Speaker 1: It was to lead me to.
Speaker 2: My own cell here. And that's why I say that history is part of mine, because traveling those streets that night, I realized for the first time that maybe was the raw deal that he got from my father my mother that made Joe the bad one. Now in the middle of the night, he turns up again in my father's.
Speaker 6: Office in trouble.
Speaker 13: I pulled around back here just in case, in case one the law.
Speaker 9: Look am I gonna have trouble with you?
Speaker 2: What's the log got to do with?
Speaker 9: The kid wants to tell you? That's okay by me. There's no time to ask any questions. Come on, lock doc, are you with us or not?
Speaker 6: How'd you get in there without a.
Speaker 13: Key, show me the door, pulled the shades down so we can turn on the light.
Speaker 9: Joe, Joey boy, I'm still here. What the doc? Joe, Dad, No, it's me Joe, Shannie you well, look who's out late Mama's boy. Can't you say something?
Speaker 11: Doc?
Speaker 9: Doc?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: You maybe.
Speaker 6: A medic?
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 6: All I know is that you've heard.
Speaker 9: What is it, Joe?
Speaker 12: An accident?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, all right, let's have a look. Yeah, take your hands away from your chest. That's better, thank you? Hey, I mean that scissors, Joe, Bullet wounds?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, we were, we were playing soldier.
Speaker 1: What do you expecting?
Speaker 9: Stee bikes? Joey, save your drink?
Speaker 11: Boy?
Speaker 9: Do you want to think him out?
Speaker 2: I'll give him a shot to use the pain you'll think the slugshut.
Speaker 6: You're in my life.
Speaker 9: I'm asking you a question.
Speaker 6: M hmm.
Speaker 2: That'll let up on a jaw.
Speaker 9: You said you're going to work on them sluts.
Speaker 2: Answer me, Joe, listen to me. I'm not a doctor yet, not legally. Two more days and i'll have my degree and then my license. But if I work on you, now, what do you mean?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 11: Shut up?
Speaker 2: Look, George's this way. If I operate on you. I'll be breaking the law. The bullet wounds, Joe, I have to report them to the police anyway, can't you see, Joe, I'm on a spot.
Speaker 9: I told you, Joe, I told you we shouldn't have come.
Speaker 2: Joe, What did you have to turn up for?
Speaker 6: Anyway? Where else could I go?
Speaker 9: Where can I?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I hate the guts of you, the whole bunch of you, But where else can I go?
Speaker 2: So please try to understand me, You rotten family.
Speaker 3: You never give me a break, Johnny, Johnny, it hurts brother.
Speaker 9: Lying the bagging your youtoe, bet Honey, do.
Speaker 2: Something, all right, lock the door and then go wash your hands. I'll need your help.
Speaker 11: I can you shut up and do what I say?
Speaker 2: Joe, I listen to me, Yeah, Johnny, Yeah, Joe. I can't use an anesthetic. I can't handle two things at once.
Speaker 6: It'll hurt Joe.
Speaker 2: All right, Johnny you ready?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Yeah, sure, all right?
Speaker 6: I'm having that scalpel?
Speaker 1: What scalpel?
Speaker 2: That knife?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: I startilized the instruments and then I went to work. My brother guip sides of the table line. I was a surgeon and he was my first patient. I started to get sick, but I had to put everything out of my mind except that I had a life to save.
Speaker 3: And wait a minute, Yes, sir, there's a question I'd like to ask at this point. Yes, sir, while you were in the process of removing those bullets from your brother, you realized that you were breaking the law.
Speaker 2: Yes, somebody was my kid brother. I turned him over to the police. You see, I wanted to be fair.
Speaker 1: You wanted to be fair. Well, now I think we're getting to the point.
Speaker 3: Earlier in this hearing, you described your brother as a no good someone you were ashamed of. Now you're talking is if you're sorry for you definitely changed your story.
Speaker 1: Are you trying to your sympathy from this board?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Sooner, if I could say so, wait to move.
Speaker 6: You also knew at the.
Speaker 1: Time, how are your brother got those bullets?
Speaker 9: Oh, yes, sir, it was.
Speaker 6: A bank holed up a guard.
Speaker 1: Surprised You also knew at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, the guard was killed, but it would have made any difference there. Why you looked like a little kid, Ye there. I was going to do my level best to make up for him for the way my father and my mother treated him as a kid.
Speaker 1: Oh, just a minute before you go on.
Speaker 3: We have your complete case history here, which you know we've looked over very carefully. Weren't you the one who usually got your brother and who some of these scrapes and probably had You were the oldest. Shouldn't you have helped him?
Speaker 6: Oh? When he was a kid?
Speaker 2: What could I do with him?
Speaker 6: You don't know him?
Speaker 9: Why?
Speaker 3: He isn't the real reason you helped your brother that night because you felt guilty, or perhaps you felt at least partly responsible.
Speaker 1: For the way he turned out.
Speaker 2: Yes, I guess it was all right.
Speaker 1: Well go on. What happened after you removed the bullets?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was plenty tough on the kid, on me too, but we managed to get through it as best we could. I cleaned out the wounds, I used sulfing, I a bandaged them as well as I could.
Speaker 9: Is it is it over?
Speaker 2: Yes, Joe, it's all over.
Speaker 9: Ah.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll take a couple of minutes and then we'll take off where a friend of mine has got a cabin up in the woods. I'll lead you there in my car and you can hide out until that wound's better.
Speaker 11: I got it.
Speaker 9: I gotta get up, Johnny, I gotta.
Speaker 2: Hide out, Georgio, who don't worry?
Speaker 9: Don't worry? How do we know it's okay?
Speaker 2: What kind of a wret do you think I am.
Speaker 13: I don't know, but you better not remember anything about anything, get it.
Speaker 2: The part at our house was still going on, but I backed out my convertible without disturbing anybody, and I led them back into the hills to my friends Summershack. I repaired a couple of stitches on Joe's chest, warned him not to move, and then promised to come back in the morning.
Speaker 1: And then you promised to come back.
Speaker 2: Oh why, well in a medical capacity, sir, post operative treatment, perhaps hypo change the dreams I see? Shall I go answer?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 1: She may continue.
Speaker 6: What did you do?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 2: I drove home, sir?
Speaker 1: Directly?
Speaker 6: Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: I have a map before me of the route you took from the mountains. Yes, sir, A road passes the state police barracks.
Speaker 1: Now it seems to me.
Speaker 6: Oh, yes, sir.
Speaker 2: I passed the barracks and then I turned back. I intended to report the whole thing to the police.
Speaker 3: The DA's transcript states that you declared, and I vote. I drove straight home without stopping or turning end up.
Speaker 1: Quote did you say that, yes, sir?
Speaker 2: But may I explain, sir? Yes, you see, sir, I intended to stop with the police backs.
Speaker 11: Oh.
Speaker 2: In fact, I could have reported at that time and kept myself in the clear.
Speaker 1: But you didn't, No, because you couldn't face your father after he knew what you had done.
Speaker 9: Is that it?
Speaker 2: Yes, I knew it would kill him, so I went straight home. The house was dark, but there was a light coming from under my father's study door, and as.
Speaker 8: I passed it, then, yes, then that's fine. I hope i'd get to see you tonight. I thought you'd be long a bed. Well did you just get in then?
Speaker 11: Yes? A tough case.
Speaker 12: But come in, son, come in, shut the door.
Speaker 1: I want to wake mother.
Speaker 8: Yes, the doctor's life fine night. They picked for an emergency paradoniis Oh sit down, son, cigar? No thanks Dad, I'm all smoked out quite a night.
Speaker 9: Huh, Yes.
Speaker 6: That dad?
Speaker 2: Was there anything special you could go?
Speaker 12: I think special? Son?
Speaker 8: Except well, this will be our last little talk before you get your license and then your shingle goes up under mine. John Newton Junior, MD. Gotta look mighty fine, son, John. I'm proud of you, really proud of you, boy.
Speaker 9: Dad.
Speaker 12: You know it's all up to you. I mean, your mother and I. We have all our hopes in you.
Speaker 9: You know that.
Speaker 12: Sometimes I wonder about Joseph.
Speaker 4: Dad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and long since give up figuring it out away. No, there's no use talking about it. It's it's just up to you son.
Speaker 12: Your mother and I. We sometimes go so far as to say we have only one son.
Speaker 2: Really, Dad, If you don't mind, I'm terribly till away.
Speaker 6: John, Just this.
Speaker 8: I I want you to remember. A doctor with so much power for good and for evil, son has got to be right, make the right decisions.
Speaker 11: You took that oath that we all take.
Speaker 12: Now mean it in your deepest heart, mean it.
Speaker 11: Live up to it.
Speaker 12: Be a good man, and you'll be a good doctor. And you, my son, you'll be a great doctor.
Speaker 8: Well, I suppose I've made quite a speech, but I didn't have to because I know you'll never do wrong.
Speaker 12: I I lost my Joe somehow, I I don't know. But you're a good son. You're my life, John, my life.
Speaker 8: Give yourself a good night's sleep, Son, there's a big day coming tomorrow.
Speaker 11: Sleep over and over.
Speaker 2: I probe for bullets in my brother's bloody chest. Over and over, I tried to cry out to my father, Dad, you don't know me.
Speaker 6: I'm a criminal. I've broken the law. I'm a criminal, Dad, I'm a criminal.
Speaker 2: Dreams cry and cry, no words come.
Speaker 12: And soon it was dawn.
Speaker 2: I made some excuse to Dad, something about picking up a bag I checked.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I headed for the cabin where my brother was hiding out. Okay, there was something wrong the cabin door.
Speaker 1: It should have been shut.
Speaker 2: What instead it was open?
Speaker 6: Joel, Joel, aren't Gie?
Speaker 2: Nobody? There torn advantages on the floor, bloodstains. I turned to go. I figured Joe ran out on me. Didn't trust me, Joe running away again. I realized that. You see, I thought I'd be able to straighten him out. But I was wrong when I walked to my car and there was a man standing beside it with a shotgun.
Speaker 11: You're looking for someone, doc? Why no?
Speaker 6: I how do you know? I was a doctor?
Speaker 11: Been expecting you. I'm from the Sheriff's office.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, How did you know?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 10: I shouldn't tell you, but seeing who you are or the other hulim spilled it all.
Speaker 11: We got them both.
Speaker 2: Could I asked the charge? I mean, I am under arrest.
Speaker 10: I guess yeah, yeah, you are as for the charge. Well, illegal operation, fail into notify police, and harboring.
Speaker 11: A krim my own brother, Sir, lor.
Speaker 10: Don't recognize kin, doc or to warn you.
Speaker 11: Anything you say can be held again.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get it over with. Take me in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, doc, No you wait, tell me Sonny.
Speaker 11: Do dead?
Speaker 6: Does my father know about you?
Speaker 11: Your brother?
Speaker 6: All about both?
Speaker 11: Oh? Your brother? Yeah? You no, You'll find out when we get there.
Speaker 6: Come on, let's go, Newton, my gentleman of the board.
Speaker 2: That's my story. I assure you I knew that I was breaking the law, but I will admit now that I did it because I owed something to my brother, and my primary intent was to make up to him in some way for the wrongs that my parents had done him, knowingly or unknowingly. I can honestly say that my primary intent was not.
Speaker 6: Crime.
Speaker 1: Newton, If you are parole, what means have you for earning a living?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: If I can get my license, I intend to practice medicine.
Speaker 1: Practice medicine.
Speaker 14: Well, yes, sir, certainly society needs physicians, but he doesn't want doctors who lack willpower and incapable of clear judgment.
Speaker 1: How we we can't gamble once?
Speaker 9: Then?
Speaker 2: I know, sir, But I would like to say that I understand myself now.
Speaker 1: How do you mean that?
Speaker 2: Well, Sir, I haven't wasted this time in prison. I think the warden will tell you. I've done all kinds of work. I've worked in the hospital. For instance, lately, I've been a full time orderly Oh, I see, go on, and I resume my medical studies.
Speaker 6: How's that?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 2: I made up with my father, sir, and he brought me medical journals so I could keep oppressed to things. All I can say is, Sir, if I do receive my freedom, I'll try very hard to live up to your trust in me, very hard. All I ask is a chance. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 1: That is all you have to say.
Speaker 3: Newton, Yes, sir, Well, it seems to me you've left out perhaps the one essential point on which your chances of parole might depend.
Speaker 1: What happened to your brother, my brother? Yes, finish our story, Newton.
Speaker 6: My brother.
Speaker 3: Died as a direct result of your operation. The record shows he was trailed to a downtown hotel in Los Angeles got an arrival. Yes, now you realize he would be alive today if you'd reported the injury and he had been taken to a hospital. Yes, it'd be alive today, all right. Uh, just ab outside a moment, Norton.
Speaker 1: With the God.
Speaker 5: While John Newton waits and the parole board reviews his story and his parole file.
Speaker 1: You too have a decision to make on his case. We john Newton's story carefully.
Speaker 5: Before you form your judgment, because in a moment you will have an opportunity to compare your decision with that of the actual board before which he appeared.
Speaker 9: But first.
Speaker 4: In the old days, my Lord and milady had to wait six months or more for the wandering troubadours to turn up with the latest ballads. Today, all you have to do is listen in on Saturday nights when Von Monroe's Caravan comes along with the week's five top tunes is chosen by variety. Vaughn brings you his great band and distinctive style of singing, not only in the five top tunes, but also in the songs of a famous college fraternity or sorority.
Speaker 1: Each Saturday. Be listening this Saturday, won't you.
Speaker 5: Now the decision of California Barole Board wholesome John Newton three three seven five Dash.
Speaker 3: Forward, John Newton, Yes, sir, step forward. This board has carefully studied your record and considered your own story. You may be sure that we have given careful consideration to all dectails. Yes, sir, I must inform you, however, that there was some doubt as to your own interpretation of your basic motives in transferring the blame for your own well, shall we say delinquency upon the attitude of your parents toward your brother and yourself, and well you you were informed.
Speaker 1: I believe that decisions of this board must be unanimous, are you not?
Speaker 2: I didn't know that, No, Sir.
Speaker 3: At any rate, we did come to an agreement, Newton, a unanimous decision.
Speaker 1: Yes, that decision is parole grant. Thank you, gentlemen.
Speaker 6: There I go, Yes, leave.
Speaker 12: O Newton.
Speaker 3: This board will make every effort to help you obtain reinstatement with the state medical boards.
Speaker 9: So good luck.
Speaker 1: Next case.
Speaker 5: Today, Doctor John Newton may be your neighbor, your friend, your family, physician, or he is currently practicing medicine in a large American city, but he himself, John Newton m D, though that was not, of course, his actual name, gave us permission to tell his story tonight, asked us, in fact, to do so in the interest of thousands of men and women in American prisons who may someday come up for parole.
Speaker 4: You have been listening to Up for Parole, Transcribed in New York with Jat Stratton, written by Alan Sloan, directed by John Deats, with music by Harry Salder. Listen again at the same time next week when CBS will bring you the actual story of Case three, three seven, four dash five sing sing.
Speaker 1: You who missus Bloom.
Speaker 4: Molly Goldberg's famous invitation to fun in the Bronx now echoes across the country each Saturday night on CBS. It's the same fine brand of comedy mixed with a tear now and then that's made Molly and her family, Jake, Sammy, Rosalie and the others favorites for many years. Stevs invites you to hear the Goldbergs on most of these same CBS stations this Saturday and every Saturday. Stay tuned now for Broadway is My Beat, which follows immediately on most of these same CBS stations.