Speaker 1: Welcome to the Auction Brief.
Speaker 2: There's a joy in these games.
Speaker 1: Taking you on a journey through fantasy football, the law, and life. We saw your depends on.
Speaker 2: How much you want, and now you're legal analyst and auction draft expert here to help you.
Speaker 1: Dominate your fantasy drafts. Your host, Drew Davenport, there are full hearts.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, Welcome into the Auction Brief. As the lady said, I'm your host, Drew Davenport, and thank you so much for joining me for another episode. As you know, we have one goal here on the Auction Brief, and that is to help all of you win more titles. And one of the ways that we do that is by bringing the best and brightest minds in the fantasy community on here from my weekly Discussions with Drew. These conversations are there to help you with the most difficult fantasy situations you're going to face in your drafts this summer. Let's not delay. Let's get right to this week's guest on another installment of Discussions with Drew.
Speaker 3: Time for Discussions with Drew, in depth conversations with the brightest minds in the fantasy industry.
Speaker 2: Welcome into this week's discussions with Drew. I have one of my favorite guests that I have every summer, mister rich Riebar Lord Reeves himself. Find him on Twitter at Lord Reeves. That's our ee bs. And I just saw Richie yesterday. It's scott Fishbowl in Cincinnati, and it's wonderful when I get this much Reeves in my life. Two days in a row, I get to hang out with the man himself over there at Sharp Football Analysis. Rich thanks so much for being here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anytime. It's always great to catch up with you two and all all the Ohio guys. You know, we have a big, you know, deep, you know, contingency of fantasy footballers in Ohio, and a lot of times people don't realize that Ohio is a much larger state than people realize. And we don't all live like super close together, like I can't get a twenty minutes and we can just hang out. So it's always nice when we get a chance to have a weekend spend some extended time together and be honest, like when people hear about us and we don't talk about football at all these things, we more or less hang out, and you know, hang out as actual friends too, outside of the football community. But it's nice getting us all together anytime we can have it.
Speaker 2: That's a point that I don't think a lot of people believe, but we don't actually just get together and talk about football. In fact, that's probably not one of the top ten topics we talk about usually. But well, yeah, thank you so much for being here. And like you said, Ohio's got a really deep bench and just this week, you guys had an opening and a dynasty league. I had to turn it down. I just have too much going on in the summers. I couldn't do it. And of course then what Ian got the call. So when you can go to your bench and grab Ian Hartitz, that's a pretty good Ohio can It was great seeing all those guys, Chris Allen and everybody that Scott Fish Bowl. But we have important things that we got to get to because I'm trying to make the show all about the fantasy and less screwing around. This year, we're gonna get you out in forty five minutes. But me and you we both like to run our mouths, so hey, we'll try our best. But it's June, and I say this to my followers every time in June, and I know some people get a little tired of hearing it, but I love talking about lessons that we learned in twenty twenty five. It's just one of my favorite things because everyone has a different take on what they took away from last year, what didn't work. What worked is something in your mind, something popp into your head that you think from twenty twenty five you're going to be really thinking about going into next season.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily believe like like hard lessons, but you know, anyone that's followed my work, I believe, you know, ever since I got in the industry, and especially you know the last few years that I've started to do like a personal draft kit, like a lot of people that have branched off on their own, you know, you know branches. You know, JJ puts out a great.
Speaker 2: One as well.
Speaker 1: But one of the things that's been a huge topic of this entire offseason is, you know, the state of the NFL. You know, two tight end sets, right, heavy sets. Everyone's talking about that, you know, the coverage. But I've been putting out a series about the you know, NFL trends for ever since I've been doing this Draft Kit with Warren, and I've been really ahead of the curve of a lot of this stuff. You know. One of the things about fans football that gamers tend to, I think overlook is just not tying into the state of the league and what's happening in the league and into their approach and gaming. And that can even you know, get disregard a little bit from an analytical stance. When you're just like, all right, this worked last year, this has worked for the last decade, It's like, well, what kind of rule changes have there've been, what are teams doing now? And being able to kind of you know, make that applicable to kind of your approach because I went through last year and pulled some stuff for you know, they're like, oh, you know, go back and pull some stuff that you got right so we could promote for the draft kit and stuff. And I'm going through my draft plan. I'm like I wrote about all like a lot of these threads that you see, like I had all this stuff written about going into last year, and a lot of people that were you know, able to utilize the content that I was putting out, We're able to apply that to their draft plans. That I had and you know, being just real big on the forefront of like, hey, you know we're seeing a lot of this vic fangio, you know, you know defensive you know, a lot of pattern match, a lot of you know, cover four, a lot of quarters. And then Mike McDonald's taking that like a step further. And I think Mike McDonald's really going to be the next guy that branches this off from a defensive stance, just like we might see Ben Johnson kind of extend like the because we've been like the Sean mcvayer of the last decade, right like it's all McVeigh coaching Tree guys, you know, that bridge down from the Shanahan guys. And I think Mike mcdonald's'll be that way on defense. He's be like the McVeigh of defense. We're gonna see a lot of the stuff that he implemented last year get copied this year and do guys that have had the answers like the test of where the defenses have been moving have been a lot of these you know Shanahan, McVeigh, you know, coaching Tree guys. And then you know I've been kind of talking up like hey, we should be targeting guys not on these coaching trees because they're good teams, but like, these are the guys that are building their offenses to combat like what a lot of the defense have a success with. So that's something like I've I've always tried to incorporated in my work, like what's the what is the league doing right now? What's the state of the league. How can we find just some small micro edges that take advantage of that? Because you know, when you go back to like this year in particular, like running backs are getting drafted really highly again, right, everyone's like no, it's like ADPN running backs is back up because we're back into like this, you know, a little bit run first every we're playing these heavier sets. But like, is there really anything that's where we could zig when we could zag? Like people want to zig when people are zagging? Right, And when you're looking at this draft class, what didn't we have? Not a great skill player draft?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Uh, not even a great like tremendous offensive line draft either, just really no good quarterbacks, really light running back room after Jeremiah Love. We had some some decent wide receivers, but lighter than it's been in previous years. So it's like, are we getting this influx of offensive talent that's going to change this meta? Probably not right. It was a very defensive heavy draft. So can we flip and gozy o RB probably not right, or go back to anchor RB even to an extent. So I do think we're going to see kind of this continue a little bit what's been going on. So I don't think it's great to just like get off and say, like, all, I'm gonna start hammering wide receivers, but there are other ways to kind of, you know, pull this into making wide receivers, so good for you as well. One of the things I've wrote about is we've kind of flipped and had a new dead zone, and it's actually occurring in the wide receiver position. Wide receiver twos, especially the past, you know, coming out of the COVID years after that big spike, wide receiver twos have been some of the worst bets you can make. And it used to be the running back dead zone. Right now, wide receiver twos have really fallen behind the running back twos in the landscape, so like, but one thing that's also happened is wide receiver ones that would become more important. Like it's so it's not just hey hammer running backs the first four rounds. It's kind of turned into where now instead of doing like an anchor running back build, you can kind of do like an anchor wide receiver build. You can get an i'm on Ross, Saint Brown or one of these guys that are now getting the thirty percent target shares. Because that went away for a little bit when the eleven personnel boom happened and we started to see the slot receiver get more incorporated and the NFL offenses we started to see those real high end target shares, Like the guys flirting at thirty percent, it was coming down. It was like twenty five percent was like a high end target shair. Now it shifted and NFL offensive said, like, how can I get Jamar Chase the football at a thirty percent rate? You know, how can I get Aman Ross and Saint Brown the football? So you can still kind of take one of those guys and then come back. Really, the strength of the wide receiver position now has been like that wide receiver twenty to like wide receiver forty range. I believe that is still something applicable this year too as well. I know I'm going to like a huge long tangent, but uh, just definitely just circling back, make this full circle, incorporate what's going on out the league into your approach.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, I just got to say I love the answer, and I was sitting and wrapped attention the entire time. However, we making forty five minutes with that with that one Rich No, that was that was good because there was a couple things in there that I heard that I one thing I talked about specifically on my last show, this exact concept of marrying the NFL reality with the fantasy reality a little bit better. And one of those guys was Justin Fields. That I didn't say. I wasn't out there saying everybody needs to have Justin Fields. I was just saying, get him for a buck at the end of your auction everyone, because hey, what if? What if? What if? And really the NFL reality is we knew what he was and we knew that when he saw bad good defenses that he was going to bot him out. But I also love the idea that we're talking about with the whole McVeigh, the eleven personnel. You know, Zach Taylor and Sean McVay. For a couple of years in a row, they were leading the league and eleven personnel. Last year that scaled back significantly, So excellent points there. And I just saw this in a mock auction I just got done doing about an hour and a half ago, which is that all the top receivers were There was a big increase in what I saw at the top, which was the Saint Brown the chase those guys were formerly where you could go forty five to fifty five dollars. Everybody's feeling that squeeze at the top, and all those guys were going fifty five to sixty five. So we're seeing that squeeze at the top. That's going to be huge for my auction drafters. But you astutely point out that that's going to be the squeeze this summer. We're gonna have to pay attention to that. So let's move on to some situations that let's talk about these wide receivers, because there's a couple different ways I want to approach this. One is I want to talk a little bit about the wide receiver two because that is becoming more important to nail that it's becoming more scarce to find those fantasy points at the wide receiver two spot. And then I want to circle into some wide receiver groups that just look kind of gross this year that I'm hoping you can help us sort out a little bit. So hey, that's why they pay you the big bucks, right, So let's start with a couple of wide receiver two questions I have, and Philly is one of those that you know, we talked about the lack or you talked about the lack of real skill position help in the draft this year. Can we count on McKay lemon there in Philadelphia to emerge as the wide receiver two? Is that what we should be betting on. I'm a little bit concerned about what's going on there, but I don't really love anybody behind him either. What's your thoughts on the wide receiver two in Philly now? With aj Brown gone, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be more of a development a development curve probably for MacKaye Lemon. He's been one of the guys I think that's been going a little bit overvalued in these these early drafts. And for a couple of reasons. One, he lands in an offense, even if we expect them to be improved and add new wrinkles under Shawn Manyon, maybe maybe they are a team that plays a little bit more of eleven, some more under center stuff this year. This is still a team under Jalen Hurts that is going to be a lower passing volume team, not only by nature of just Jalen Hurts and his structure of play style, but also like, this is a really great defense still, and this is a team still built on running the football a lot, So you're one not going to have like an immense high pass rate anyways for this team from a top downstance, which already puts the squeeze in a couple of guys. Then from MacKaye Lemon himself, I mean, this is a guy who coming out of college is more of a slot centric player. I believe he's going to develop and he can play outside, but he is still a smaller player as well. So how much does he play in one to two wide receiver sets on a team that's going to run the football a lot early? I think there's gonna be a development curve from that, so early in the season we might see more Dontavian Wicks than like the average gamer wants to see that uses a top forty pick on mackay Lemon. He might be someone that ramps up as the season goes on, starts playing in more two wide receiver sets as it goes on. But he's gonna have to get over the hurdle of one being a smaller guy that's under one hundred and eighty pounds, and you know how good of a run blocker is he going to be out of the gate. Like, those are things that we just aren't gonna be able to answer right until we see him on the foot ball field. So I think that those are big obstacles for him to open up the season. I think that you're just looking at the Eagles and in general, if you're really strongly about Devonte Smith, and then other than that, I think you're just gonna see a lot of these guys be more of like better and the best ball types. And I don't want to use it as a cop out. I just think that when we see the Eagles, they're gonna be a team that again probably bottom of the half of the league and pass rate, and one of their players is going to occupy a really immense high target share on a smaller pie, So it just gives me more confidence DeVante Smith the other guys, I really haven't been drafting. Das Gotter. I think is fine as like a cheap tight end too. We know tight touchdown aggressions coming for him. But I do think the other guys are gonna be more of like Spike Week type players and low floor type players as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that answers my question well because it kind of feels like a who cares type of situation. But I certainly think that the situation overall isn't really what I'm very excited about. So you nail that with the overall offensive environment. What about in Green Bay? Things have quote unquote cleared up quite a bit with them getting rid of a couple guys, but we still have a situation where I think the offensive environment they want to run the football as much as they can. They don't seem to like letting Jordan Love get back and rip it, even though we think he can. So we know we have Christian Watson there, but he's never been the guy who's been an iron man. We know this. Who are we betting on behind Watson? And do we care?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still think we do here because this is still one of those offenses that we said is run under you know, Micha Lafleurer from that mcshanahan tree. They run. They don't throw the ball a lot, but when they do, it does breed efficiency. And you know, there's the reason why Malik will has resurrected his career, right, you know, coming out of a green bay and why he was able to get the money he had and a new lifeline and a new lease on being a starting quarterback in the NFL when it looked like, you know, when he left Tennessee, like is this just is this don though for him? So when they do throw it's still as hyper officially, Jordan Love is an over five percent touchdown rate in each of the past three years. We know that this Michael Parsons isn't gonna be available to start the year, like this is could the defense be a little bit worse to start out? The offensive line really kind of struggled last year to stay healthy. They didn't make a lot of like really sweeping ads to that offensive line. Getting Zach tom back will be huge, but like they're still counting on you know, Aaron Banks, staying healthy, Eldon Jenkins staying healthy. They brought in Rashid Walker as kind of like their big signing, but like he was, he really took a step back for Carolina last year. So what if they're just not able to run the football as well, the defense isn't good and they're forced to throw, and you kind of hit on the big thing here is it's just it's not as much of a log jam as we've had in years past where they've really rotated these guys, you know, Wis and Romeo Dubbs. Romeo Dobbs last year was the only receiver that they had on the roster that ran a route on over fifty percent of the dropbacks. So that's gonna go up this year. We could see up to up to just being the three guys where it's Watson, Red and Golden. That wild card, I believe will be just how much does Reid play and one to two wide receiver sets. And I want to make this the whole thing, like why the thesis of the show is, but the thing that has held Jonathan Jayden Reid back from like really being like a great fantasy asset these past couple years isn't just necessarily injury stuff. Is through three years in the NFL, he's run eight total pass routes on one to two wide receiver sets. Eight total. Last year, Matthew Golden as a rookie ran seventy two. Like just to give you some context of this, So like we still need him to be on the field, and you know, Jane Reid is in that capacity of getting that high route rate. Christian Watson is now. Christian Watson. Also, one of the things that they did with him last year is he just wasn't using that like Alec Pierce type role where he was just a lidlifter, get open downfield crate splash plays. He ran a lot more routes on the intermediate level, a lot more comebacks, a lot of out routes, just gave him more access to targets that have a higher success rate than he had at that point of his career. And that's why he actually wasn't as volidile over the back half of the last year when he was playing as he was in previous years. Now we're gonna get him, you know, on the field for hopefully, you know, knock on wood while he's staying healthy, you know, seventy to eighty percent of the team dropbacks per game. This can really unlock a player that has that real high you know, cholesterol target upside right for fantasy football, and we're just gonna get him more access to routes and targets. And like that's really alluring, and I know the top down gamer pullback will be like he just can't stay healthy. Well, listen, we've played this along this game a long time. Your injury prone till you're not. And if that's gonna be, that's already priced in, right, he's going like wide receiver twenty eight, wide receiver twenty nine. This is not like the wide receiver fourteen. It's not even as high as where he's been performing since he entered the league. I mean, he's the wide receiver eleven in fantasy points per out run. And again, these routes are now open to him. He's not gonna be the guy coming off the field while he's available, you know, in these one to two wide receiver sets. So he's been one of my favorite players to go to this year because this is a guy that has that huge upside per target and if he does somehow luckbox into one hundred and twenty five one hundred and thirty five targets on his profile. This is a guy that has just like an immense top down ceiling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't want to keep talking about this auction, but it's fresh in my head that he just went for nineteen bucks And that's absolutely the bet you want to make because you can make that bet as a wide receiver three and sometimes if you're real throwing a lot of money a wide receiver he can be or flex. That's just wonderful. That's exactly what we're trying to do in an auction. And so I think that the timidity of the prior Watson sort of anchoring that we have that hey, this guy can't stay healthy is going to help us find that value. I hope that doesn't continue to rise, because that's right where I want to take him, you know where he's sitting there right now. But I have a feeling when things heat up in August, he's going to climb up there a little bit. But that is certainly a guy I'm watching. Okay, well, one more situation and I realized, like, we're not burning down the house here with the top offenses in the league. But I think this is where our money's made. And I want to talk about Atlanta because I'm scared enough about the quarterback situation. I talked about this with Jim Coventry last week. But what's going on behind Drake London? I mean it's it's pretty bad. Right. We've got Dotson and Zekias I think, you know, and then we've got the rookie branch. What do we care about what's going on behind Drake London number one and number two? How do we sort out this mass of mediocrity behind him?
Speaker 1: From a redraft stance, I think it's hard to really have a lot of faith in a lot of what's behind Vijion Robinson and and Drake London. And it starts the quarterbacks, right, I mean this is a problem, Like we were just hoping these quarterbacks are performing at a level to just keep like Drake London and his immense target share like above water for fantasy football, and it has with Michael Pennix the last two years. But other than that, like it's been really hard to get like a second guy on a weekly level really going, just because the quarterback play has been so bad. I mean, you look at just Michael Pennix these past two years since he's been able to start, I mean, he's below the league rate in just about every metric, right and Tua, we know how it ended for him in Miami. This is the same boat. So you're really taking a huge step of faith and just believing in the quarterbacks are able to support enough of these guys from to start out with. Then when you started getting like the under the hood of the personnel, there's not a lot to feel good about, right like Johan Dotson, you know you have a team buying the kind of the flop Legs is a former first round pick that was buried behind two players that are just superior to him right in Philadelphia, like A. J. Brown and Devanti's me. They're just better football players than him, and on a team that we already talked about doesn't already throw the ball at a high rate in league context, so he was never going to like have statistical weight in Philadelphia. So you're just hoping, like maybe you're getting a cheap guy as a forum first round pick, maybe there's something there as the key as we know, basically like pure slot player. And then with Zachary Branch, you can I have no pushback. If you're like, hey, I'm gonna use my round seventeen eighteen twenty pick on zach ry Branch and just see what shakes out. No pushback, all shoot your shot, right, But when you're trying to break down, like, what's the path for zach Ryer Branch, right, Like this is one hundred and seventy seven pound guy, twenty nine inch arms doesn't have any experience in entering the NFL of playing like any type of level of nuanced wide receiver. Right, So again, I don't want to make this whole team. So like, how is he playing in one to two wide receiver sets on a team that also inherently wants to run the football through Bjohn Robinson? Right, They've got a good offensive line still in Atlanta, they want to insulate their quarterback play because again, do they even have one good quarterback out of the two guys that they have, So what's the path for him? Like really having a high route rate. He could be a guy that has like a high target per route rate because when he's coming in the game, they're giving these manufactured touches or some screen stuff. But you just take such a step of faith in being like a nuanced wide receiver in an offense that we don't have a lot of top down faith in that I'm not particularly excited to draft him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just get so at this point in the summer, I get looking at these two quarterbacks and it paralyzes me from wanting to do anything with this offense because I just am so concerned about what it's going to look like. And the change with the offensive philosophy is the same as well. But okay, well that was an excellent breakdown and let's start cooking a little bit more with some offenses we care about a little bit more. Not that we don't care about, you know, Philly or Green Bay, but it is kind of gross in some of those situations. But we've got some other wide receiver rooms that do have some more depth, and it's still important to sort those out. And the biggest one I think that is up for debate that I continue to see people gnashing their teeth over is Jacksonville, and for good reason, because it's a weird situation that we don't see too often in fantasy football where they trade for a guy the level of Jacoby Myers who comes in and looks pretty darn good right away. Flipping teams in the middle of the season. That's unusual. And then we get this Parker Washington thing. Late. We still have Travis Hunter kind of hanging out there. They're paying lip service to him coming in and playing wide receiver a little bit still. But then we've also got Brian Thomas Junior who had this unbelievable rookie season, and then we hear the quote from him recently, Yeah, this year might be a little bit different because it doesn't hurt to run, and I think, well, geez, like, we how do we untangle this mess? What are your thoughts about what we're going to see and what redraft players should be doing with these guys.
Speaker 1: And this also ties into I think that you know how you're going to approach the running back room too with this team, and they were so good the back half of the year, throwing the football. People forget like this was a bad running team. Like when you look at the counting stats that Travis etn had or are we supposed to call him like the HN now as they said, it's okay, come on, man, But but when you look like after the week eight by I mean Travis Travis etn hn he I mean, he was twenty fourth out of thirty two running backs and success rate. He failed to gain yardage at the highest rate in the league over that span. And the Jaguars knew that they were a bad running team and they swerved into throwing the football. And that's just from a top downstance, Like are they gonna is that like their approach this year? Because you look at what they did in the backfield and you're like, wow, they have really like immense confidence and what they brought in here. The offensive line is still like not the greatest on paper, but then you look in the draft, they were one of these teams that drafted multiple tight ends. Are they going to try to incorporate some of this twelve personnel on paper? Though you look at it, you're like, eleven personnel is like the bread and butter for this offense, Like it's one that's their best players playing eleven personnel. Two it's what Liam Gowens had the most success with. As long as like they're not getting like pushed from like the GM that you have to play this way. I mean, it feels like they are gonna run this offense through Trevor Lawrence in the same pass that they did in the back half of last year. One of the craziest things though with the Jaguars was like they had like probably the biggest sliding doors moment of the year last year. Right, you know, you think about prior to their bye, they play that game in London against the Rams, and we were starting to see like this awakening of Travis Hunter right, Like, you know, he was coming on the season slowly, he was just ramping up. He was starting to play more. If you look at like three games before the bye, sixty seven percent of snaps, seventy eight percent of snaps, eighty seven percent of the offensive snaps has one hundred yards. Granted it's on blout against the Rams, it's over one hundred yards. It's fourteen targets. They're like, oh wow, significant buzz. This guy could be taking over. Then he gets hurt in practice, he has the LCL injury, and practice he's done. They end up trading for Jacobe Myers, who immediately got an extension on the trade that didn't come after the year. Like they trade for him game an extension prior to his Travis Hunters injury. Parker Washington wasn't playing. He had seventeen catches at that point of the year. Right then he comes on and leads a team in receiving the rest of the season. That same game, Brian Thomas Junior, who we already knew was playing through a wrist injury, injures his shoulder and he's limited kind of coming after. That's like, all these moving parts happened during the course of this season, and they created this like one outcome of the back half of the year where it's like, hey, did this unlock how they want to play moving forward? Or was this something that they had to do in the time and they're trying to still calibrate. Those are things gamers don't know, right, Like it's hard to put some of this stuff back in the bottle. Though. With Parker Washington, this guy was so damn good the back half of the year, and not even the back half the year. In the playoffs, I mean, look at the final four games this team played. I mean, this dude went over one hundred yards and three of those games in the playoff game goes to one hundred dards a gamest the Bills. He's cooking the Broncos like because when you look at the Jaguars the back half year, like oh wow, they were decimating some terrible defenses. But then you look at that Denver game. They went into Denver and they put over thirty on Denver and Denver had no answers for them, and it's like that was proof of concept. It was like, yeah, they are beating up these bad teams. But you know what, I want my good offenses to crush these bad teams that I like, to me, that's a you know, a feature, not a bug. And then I want my team to be able to punch up against these good defenses like Jacksonville did. So there are some like moving parts here to try to diagnose. But one I think Parker Washing out of the guys that are like kind of the scariest, like what was real? What wasn't of twenty twenty five NFL football. He's a guy I still want to keep the light on because he was a guy that you know, I played college fantasy. I had him on my team that last year at Penn State and he didn't have good quarterback play, but like, this is the guy I thought was a good player. And maybe it's just the Juwan Jennings situation where like everything kind was a perfect storm. Well you just never get that run out again. But man, I still want to invest in him a little bit. Brian Thomas, I don't want to close lights on either, just because like we don't have guys that have his profile right, his physical profile, and so there's got to be some marriage in between of what happened his rookie year and what happened last year. Yeah, will also know he was playing hurt. Jacoby Myers is the one guy I'm willing to let go just from an archtypical stance, So like, this is a guy that's gonna he's gonna beat my ranking of him. But also do I believe he's a guy like you have to have to win. I still just don't think he's that type of player. Even with the Jaguars, he had more than fifteen PPR points in one game. You know it. This is just the guy. I think it's good, he's the token beats ADP. But do you need him to win? A league type of guy? And sometimes your roster needs that type of player. I'm not saying don't draft this guy because he does have a high upside. Sometimes you need that guy that can just come in and get you. He's gonna get eight targets. I hope he gets me twelve PPR boyds this game, right, But even with that offense running as hot as it was, he wasn't delivering like tide turning weeks, you know, in your fantasy league. So I'm more BTJ Moore still Parker Washington. We'll see what settles in for the backfield. But this is still an offense. I think when you look at it, though, like eleven personnel should be their jam, and I just that they don't have outside interference to kind of screw with that.
Speaker 2: So I was quickly looking up the eleven personnel while you were talking because I wanted to ask you about that specifically. So I appreciate you saying that it looks like last year they were eighth in the league about sixty five percent eleven personnel. I would expect that to continue, wouldn't you.
Speaker 1: I I do. But we saw them coming out of the draft, you know. And this is the problem I have with the NFL trying to just be a copycat league, and you just have to you have to have a plan still, right, Like you can't just run thirteen personnel because Sean McVay did it. Right, you have to have a rhyme and reason why you're doing it, and a big, a big reason why Sean McVay did it was for two reasons. One, he there eleven personnel was the weakest that's ever been in mcvayh era, right, you know, outside of Puka and DeVante Adams, it was thin behind those guys at wide receiver. The other thing, too, is you know that he wanted to incorporate more under center passing because he wanted teams to play more just general based defense. Right. Like it's funny because McVeigh when he off the Shanny entry, the first thing he did was got rid of the old school the Koubi actionannon fullback. Because I'm getting rid of the full back. I'm gonna have guys like Robert Woods and Cooper Cup and pookin a coua, these guys that are plus in the pass game. I can get them in movement, get them on second level and a linebacker U and you know, we give them like a head start, like they can still make be assets in the run game. Then when we have to throw, it's not a zero. We don't have a full back on the field, mcvayh like was like, all right, I want to start playing you know, more tight ends because our receivers are as good that we got to get the base defense and find mismatches. Coolie Parkins can stretch the field, Terrence Ferguson can stretch the field, and they can not only stretch the field for themselves, but clear out stuff for Pooking Akua and DeVonta AM's at the your remediate levels because we're runing play action and stuff like that. So when I hear Gladstone come out of this, come out of the draft, and basically he was just like I drafted tight ends because the league's doing it, but like not really having a plan with the players he specifically drafted, because I don't think that those two particular tight ends I like Tanner Cozield to find. But like, you know, it's it's like you have I still have a plan to implement these players and have a strategy. One of the teams that started the last year really pick up on the thirteen personnel, and it could have been just a byproduct of injuries or a byproduct of like, hey, we could do some of this stuff too and be functional was a Chicago Bears Ben Johnson saw this in the final six weeks of the season. Remember Roma Dunze was banged up. That was part of the influence. But Cole Comet and Colston Lovelin are like totally guys that are functional. Like you can play still base offense with both these guys. You gt flex out Colston Lovelin, Cole Comett still plus receiver. He's not a zero right, Like he's not one of these guys coming in the game like a Charlie Warner. And where these guys are turning into kind of like the new fullback into a sense, these guys have to be able to contribute in the past game when you need to be able to throw two and you get to when you when teams don't want to play ball, because I'm very interested. Now the next set is the cat and mouse of this is is teams just don't play ball and they are like, hey, you want to play thirteen. We're not going to play bass, right like we're gonna do what Mike McDonald did, like or gonna stay in big nickel, like go ahead, We'll sacrifice some efficiency against the run. But We're not gonna let you cook us for the APPLA play Action Pass game downfield, like you know Clint Kubiak has been doing the past two years. Uh So I'm very interested in that cat and mouse aspect of it, Dough. But I believe the Jaguars are just looking at their team they should be playing eleven personnel.
Speaker 2: Well, what's interesting about the ADP too, is everyone's telling us they don't know what the hell to do either, and that's creating some obvious value here. But I guess I'm not convinced that I'm going to be able to parse that value properly. Thomas's wide receiver thirty three on ADP right now, Parker Washington thirty seven, and Jacobe Myers forty two, which it all makes sense, but it's it's all too low because we're splitting the baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone's gonna we're gonna look back on this from ten thousand feet out next February and be like, oh, yeah, one of these guys is a smash for sure, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well absolutely. I also just need to point out too, I will not stand for your Canada Mumfield slander. You know, I know that the three wide receivers weren't as good, so they had to go and do what they had to do with their personnel. But yes, okay, little fantasy football door humor. All right, let's move on because we've got about fifteen minutes left and I want to hit these last two offenses. You mentioned the Chicago Bears, so let's just slide into that next, because the Chicago Bears wide receiver room is interesting. Not necessarily because I care about everybody there, but parsing the difference between Roma Donde and Luther Burden, I think is a big deal. Burden seemed to have a lot of steam a few weeks ago, but lately I'm really seeing that cool a little bit, and certainly tonight in the mock auction, he wasn't super expensive. I think he went in the low twenties, and I think that's very expensive for what I expected to see. So people are again a little bit, they're just a little bit unsure. So what's your opinion about how Chicago shakes out there with those two guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still pretty bullish on just the offensive environment in general. I'm a big kind of Ben Johnson truther. Like I said, I think he just understands the assignment and understands how to you know, max out his personnel from not only from Detroit, but where you saw the growth from that offense as the season progressed and in the back half of the year. I mean, this is a team that I mean, they almost beat the Rams right to have a chance to even play Seattle. I would have loved to see those teams match up, you know, Ben Johnson and Mike McDonald, and see the cat and mouse game with that too as well. But I'm in on all these guys, and I think the cost is fine and all three I've been work shopping tight End a lot, and it's bummer because I do really love Loveland the most. I think are the top three guys at cost. But I generally still don't love my Loveland teams, And you know that's subjective. There's probably some gamers out that really do so, but I've more or less haven't been like a big fan of my early tight End teams. But man, I think Loveland is the absolute guy that's gonna like hammer in this offense. It's like from a weekly stance, like he's gonna be the one kind of Gibraltar Like every week, this guy's going to be flirting with you know, twenty plus percent target ers. He was over fifteen percent, and all of his last nine games last year we saw him be over thirty percent the last five games. They're just able to do so much with him, especially if they're going to roll over a lot of that twelve thirteen person al they ended the year with. I think that Lovelen's gets me set up in a really really like high efficiency type role and he comes with the touchdown equity, to which you love. That's the one thing with Burden, like I think that you do worry about. We saw him at the end of last year be a really viable player when a lot of that was influenced by you know, Roma Dunze being out. But now DJ Moore is out and Burden's going to slide in that role. And Burden as a prospect was someone I thought that was misnomered as a slot only wide receiver. I actually thought one of his like weaker aspects was just you know, sitting in zone and finding holes in coverage. He was more of an explosive player and more of a more nuanced routrey getting open downfield. We just didn't see it because he played an off that was helm by Brady Cook, and we saw what happened where Brady Cook got to get on the field last year in the NFL and some of the shortcomings he had. So I actually think he's Taylor. Taylor made to take over this role that DJ Moore leaves behind and just wasn't a slot only player And that was kind of a big hurdle for him last year because you know that was the keys and he had trouble getting those snaps because I don't think he had that type of route nuance that people thought he had because he thought they was just a slot receiver right coming out. But he only had two end zone targets last year, right, Like this is a this is a thing, like this is that archetype of player. He's a very Za Flowers he and type player. So I think context of what your league settings matter a lot for a guy like Luther Burden, just like they do for his Flowers, right, because this is the guy that's probably gonna have a really significant target share. He's gonna get you explosives, he's gonna be efficient. But also when the Bears are inside the twenty, like they're probably dialing up plays or Colson Loveland and probably calling a place for Roma Dunes, I mean four room Roalman Dunes. They got hurt. The wide receiver, nine and end zone targets is still a big body guy. He's gonna win in those types of situations and draw those types of target opportunities, winning in the high contested catch game. So uh, you don't see a lot of guys that are Burden size get a lot dialed up for them in the red zone. So if you're in a full PPR, start three wide receivers. I think that's the format where burden is the most appealing. If you're in you know, like like his underdog ADP. We were actually talking about the car, you know, driving with Ian stuff. Was like, man, I think his underdog like this is the wrong format for him to have that aggressive of an ADP. That's where you want Rome, right, you want Rome in the half PPR more touchdown driven because Rome is the guy that gets those targets that may be come with a higher variance. We've seen still two years in the NFL, Caleb from a top downstance, still not a hyper efficient thrower, and odoons back to back years through two different offensive coordinators, but the same quarterback has been the guy that's taken on the brunt of the inaccurate targets from Caleb Caleb Williams, and we saw that last year the final eight games. Last year, twenty seven percent of his targets were inaccurate. No player in the NFL with that that many targets had a higher off target rate as a rookie. In twenty twenty four, it was twenty six point seven percent of his targets were inaccurate. No player had a higher inaccurate target that many targets because he gets those types of targets that come with like a lower success rate, but they are worth kind of more when they do succeed. So I think when I play the Bears wide receivers, it's going to be contingent on my format, and you know what, guy makes more sense in that. But I am bullish from a top downstance. I think this is an offense I definitely want to invest in just how I'm playing. It is going to be based on scoring settings.
Speaker 2: This is why we have Rich on the show because nowhere else can you hear Zay Flowers name turned into an adjective. He is Zay Flowers the end, which I love that I'm using that. By the way, I'm stealing it and I will not credit you. So what wide receiver twenty one right now for Burden, wide receiver twenty eight for o'donza. It feels to me like people aren't very excited about o'donsay, And if he hadn't gotten hurt, I think we'd be having a different conversation about him, and he'd be much more interesting to people than wide receiver twenty eight. So I feel like that's the guy I'm going to be taking the shots on. But hey, you know, like I said, Burden wasn't as expensive as I thought he'd be tonight. So maybe both guys are going to be something that I can that I can see myself having.
Speaker 1: And you can always get, you know, the syrup for the pancakes if you want to. You could just take Kyle Williams.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been hammering on this all summer long about well, you know, for three weeks whatever. But Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence. I mean, these guys, they've got some unbelievable receiving talent and people are really excited about these receivers and not necessarily as excited about the quarterbacks, which I don't understand. But all right, well, hey, we're doing great. Now, we've got about seven minutes left. We can talk about Arizona. I may pop up a surprise quiz on you here about somebody. But the Arizona situation is really interesting because I feel like I've swung back and forth on my opinion on Michael Wilson about five times already, and we're still in the middle of June. I just don't know what to think. But to me, the situation that we saw with Wilson at the end of last year just screams red flag, like I should be a little bit concerned about the following season. We don't necessarily see what he did happen that often, and then end up following it up by saying, Hey, this guy's still the alpha here, this guy's gonna is he gonna alpha Marvin Harrison. So I'm just a little bit nervous about Michael Wilson. I haven't had any optimistic feelings about him yet so far this summer. So am I wrong about that? What are you thinking about? How Harrison and Wilson stack up this summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very tough to be you know, kind of like super bullish and what happened with Michael Wilson, because when you just remove, when you just add all the context to how it went down, it's easy to kind of see like him, kind of like we saw something similar the year before that with Jerry Judy. The back half of the year with Jamis Wilson, Winston took over. He was on a team that played in just a lot of jail break game scripts, was running a ton of routes, really didn't have a ton of target competition. Now Wilson still had Trey McBride, but this whole Arizona team in the back half of the year and something I just kept talking about, like it just fell apart on every system, systemic level, Like they run their their fifth running back, they were missing three offensive linemen, they were they were missing three to six defensive starters basically every game the final eight weeks the last season, and Marvin Harrison Junior was basically off the field the entire back half of the year where he just dealt with so many you know injuries after the you know app and deck to me, he had an cushion, he had an app and Dectmy then had an ankle injury, and we just didn't see him play a lot. He played eighty five offensive snaps after week tens, the official number. So all of these things just like lined up and Trey mcbrine and Michael Wilson the final ten weeks of the year, they were number one, number two in the NFL, and just some routes run because they were always down seventeen points. They were the only two guys getting the ball in the offense. The team couldn't run because they had no healthy running backs, they couldn't stop anyone because they were they had no healthy you know, defensive backs basically at that point either, and just created this windfall fantasy production where we just played Trey McBride and Michael Wilson in dfs every damn week and we just kept riding that train. But we know that even if their Cardinals aren't gonna be good as good this year, and you know they're they're up there in contention for the number one pick, the odds that like they are just in that amount of jail break game scripts are probably gonna get reeled in a little bit. This is a team that they have improved on the offensive line. They've made investments on the offensive line. They should be just by default healthier. We know they brought in Tyler alg year. We know they drafted you know, Jeremiah Love. Like they they're probably gonna play for even being a bad team kind of a style of football. I think that they want to play more rock fights than people probably assume they will. Dolphins are another one of these teams, like they're being pretty clear about it, like we were just hoping every game can somehow be sixteen to ten and we just hang on around that. The Cardinals are a team that I think are going to try to be a little bit more run heavy too, and trying to let the games get away with them insulate those quarterbacks. They didn't get really shafted on the schedule, though, I will say that about there as on the Cardinals, they play the opening nine games, they have six games on the road, and like they're all playoff teams, so it might not even matter. They might just be one of these teams that is just trailing.
Speaker 2: But let me interrupt you there, because I think that's somewhat of a key here too, because can we see them sticking with Yakobe Brissette the whole year. First of all, he's not even in there, so like, I mean, they're gonna be what two and seven or whatever. If we're lucky, they're gonna take a look at what else they've got, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the way the schedule plays, there's not a great onboarding process for Carson Beck early in the unless they just really want to throw him to the Wolves at some point in the middle of the season. So I think it really sets up for them for all three quarterbacks to kind of play where Brissett, if he's playing to the same level he was last year and they're just not winning games, Like you said, there's just gonna be a default. If they're one and eight, they're probably gonna make a move in some direction. But I don't think like they're gonna bring in Carson Beck, you know, at Dallas, at Seattle, at Kansas City, right Like, it's gonna be like, all right, let's let Minshew take some lumps and then we'll get back maybe the back third of the year, and we'll play him. The other thing, too, is like we didn't talk about, like with Michae Wilson. It's like we have like the official numbers, and we saw this last year when Marvin Harrison Junior came back, he completely relegated Michael Wilson again and just like he just got hurt again. Is the is what problem with that is what happened. So Wilson ran three hundred and twenty seven routes last year with Marvin Harrison Junior on the field on those plays, twelve and a half percent target rate, zero point eight five yards per out run. Like we saw, he came back that front half of the Tampa Bay game before he had dankle injury and Michael Wilson was completely just out of the offense again. So it's just again it's just really hard to look at this from a situation like I had draw that correlard to like Jerry Judy the year prior, just a perfect storm happened for Michael Wilson to pop and and granted he balled with this opportunity. I don't want a short hand like just there dismiss what he did completely because he took that opportunity to delivered with it. That always doesn't happen either, But it's just really hard to see, like that intersection of just things that lined up create the same you know, outcome again. You know, head into this year.
Speaker 2: It really was the perfect storm. The way you describe it and the way that we remember it, it was a perfect storm. And I just I don't see any of that. Like you said that the run rate. I believe this offensive environment that that we know, at least from the coaching staff that's there now, is going to want to do that as well, and that they've signaled that by what they did early in the draft too. But well, this is perfect. I'm going to ruin it because we're at forty five minutes, but I want to get your take, So two minutes or less, all right. I know that this is not easy, but two minutes or less. I was thinking about the Las Vegas offense and just I just don't know what the heck they're doing with their pass catchers. I know, Brock Bauers is the wide receiver one, but they've got Jalen Naylor, They've got Trey Tucker. What the heck are we doing with Las Vegas? And I almost feel like their offense has to be better just by default because of Kirk cousins from Fernando Mendozo. Those guys are going to be better than what they had, But how much do we care? Is it that much better? And what the heck are they doing with these wide receivers and what should we be doing with them other than not drafting them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, and you have Clint Kubiak. You also don't have the coach's son running the offensive line like last year, not only an offensive line that was battered. I mean there were reports last year that offensive linemen were you know, meeting with Gino Smith and like Ashton Janey like away from coaches to just try to resolve some of this stuff with Brendan call, you know, running the offense last year. And then obviously Colton Miller got hurt, Jackson Powers Johnson got hurt. Now those guys come back. You had Tyler Linderbaum, you had Klint Kubiak. Things are moving in the right direction. I think from them at least be more structured. You know, do they just have enough raw talent you know, paired with like a you know, them being in just a juggernaut of a division two? Are they able to kind of combat that? But they're definitely gonna be a lot more structured offense. They're another one of these teams. They're gonna be a big twelve personnel team like they just are not even because it's what Kubiak wants to do. It's just like that's where their personnel lines up, like Michael Mayer brock Bauers to be able to be that move tight end. They're gonna play a lot of that. So who gets in on two wide receivers. I think it's gonna be big for them. I think Trey Tucker is still gonna run the most routes. Will it matter? Will he just be like exercising because he's gonna be all that play action and stuff like he's gonna be running a lot of wind sprints. So it comes down to between Naylor and Besh And I think just Naylor is right now just a better player than beschis, So I would kind of say he's gonna have the most opportunity just to be on the field, and he just won't be in maybe the Tucker role where Tucker's just like living on these high variance targets which are great for best ball, but from a weekly level, like good luck getting that right and you know, getting the week that Trey Tucker has the Monster game, like well, I think a lot of gamers chase that after the Commander's Game last year and just never found it again. So I do think we'll see it be Tucker the Nailer and then maybe Best mixed in. But you know, at least the door is open for beshtill, so I want to completely roll that out. But big twelve personnel team, I think Mayor and Bauers are still gonna be the guys that are going to be the biggest beneficiaries of the everything, all the moving parts and the changes for the passing game.
Speaker 2: Okay, love it? Hey you did that?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: Just about? Just about two and a half minutes. That was that was? That was high level stuff, folks. Richreebar is here because he is just a fountain of knowledge. I could go two hours with him. But it's the goal of the Auction Brief this summer to get you in and get you out so that you're mute there and back from work, get you through a whole episode of the Auction Brief. So that's what we've done today. Thank you so much to Rich for being here. Like I said, one of my good buddies. Can't wait to see you in Canton in July. You guys, come out, hang out with us. We'll have a drink or seven. And Rich remind everybody where they can find you, where they can find your work and what you got going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, you can find out everything I create this off season at Sharp Footballanalysis dot com. We have the big twenty twenty six preview book coming out. I've submitted all my chapters. You know, Warren has that book come out every year. That is going to be available in about two weeks. We're doing it pre fourth of July this year, I think around June thirtieth, so look for that to come out, and then post fourth of July is where I come out swinging and it's just nothing but living, breathing draft kit content for the whole remainder of the summer up until a fuck kickoff.
Speaker 2: That's stuff that you guys want. If you want to be good at fantasy football, head over there to Sharp Football and Analysis. Don't forget to follow Rich on Twitter at Lord Reeves and check out all of his stuff. Rich, thank you again for your time. We really appreciate it. Yeah, anytime, brother, All right, another great episode of Discussions with Drew, thanks so much to rich Reebar. And that's going to do it for this week. All right, that's going to wrap up another week of Discussions with Drew as we strive to talk with the smartest people in the business every single week. Don't forget to tune in Thursday morning for my solo time and the Auction Brief. Mike, thank you so much for joining us this week. I'll talk to you real soon. The Auction Brief is adjourned.
Speaker 3: The Auction Brief is adjourn that'll do it for this week's episode. See you next time on the Auction Brief.