Speaker 1: Welcome to the Transformation Station podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between.
Speaker 2: This is for you, hey, listeners.
Speaker 1: Today we have an exciting guest. We have doctor Liz in the house.
Speaker 2: Hi, thank you for having me. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I followed you on Instagram for like a short while now, I say, yeah, but I've always been intrigued, and I know a few of our members here also visit you, so it's and they've told me that information. So I'm super excited to have you today on the show. Before we dig in, tell the listeners and myself a little bit about you, if you would.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I'm My name is doctor Liz doug Leish, and I'm a nature path and working mom of to beautiful little kiddos. I have been an atropath for six years and I primarily work with women in midlife and beyond to help with their gut and hormones and metabolism so they can live, love, work parent the way they've always intended to. I love my job. I'm very passionate about it, and I feel very grateful to be in the space. I'm also a mom, and I have commitments on the home front as well, so I and I'm a relatively new mom, so I'm learning myself, along with my patients, how to juggle both sets of responsibilities, both sets of like love and commitment. And my goal in life is to be generous, right, and I want to be generous for my community and my family and my patients. So that's kind of my modus operandi, if you will. That's so awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that you said that, like midlife and beyond, because that's primarily who we serve at the Transformation station as well. So we hear so many conversations about like hormones and actually, someone who recently just left the gym this morning as I was coming in and said like the menopausal sleep, where I was like, oh, I didn't know that was a sign of that. Oh okay, interesting. So, like I hear so many different things in conversations, and I'm like, okay, I can help assist you with your workouts and stuff like that, and like your prioritize protein and water and all those things, but there comes to a point where it's like there's more, there's more answers to problems. I guess I'm going to say beyond just that. So if there's one thing that you're dealing with right now, let's say, like in the general scope of your practice, what is like a common thing that you face almost every single day, like the most predominant reason why people come and see you.
Speaker 2: Can I ask that question? Yeah, of course, Okay, okay, So I'd say it's twofold. I can't just give a straight answer. It's those two sets of things. So I see women usually thirty five plus, and I see people into their sixties, seventies, eighties as well, And I would say that the big thing is like for the perimenopause experience, like, are are the symptoms that they are having related to that or not? Because sometimes depending on your like depending on the individual, they could experience metopause or perimenopause symptoms as early as they're like late thirties, right, So the figuring out like, Okay, what do we have to do in order to feel better? Like what are we dealing with hot for dealing with hot flashes, night sweats, like the crazy insomnia that sometimes people can get with those Are you dealing with like things like vaginal dryness or different like mood irritability swings that you've never experienced before? Those questions, I would say, like a woman, if they're not coming in with that directly, they know they're going to be experiencing it, and they've heard from their friends or their mom or you know, other female relatives or relatives that this could happen to them, and they're like, oh shit, is this going to be Like what's what's it going to be like for me? Because every experience is different, So that's definitely like number one, and then number two. I would say, I deal a lot in the gut health universe. So I see like tons of like chronic consumpation. People are like, is this bloating normal? Am I?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Why am I not pooping? You can tell me how to get that get in here too? Yeah, yes, And sometimes that can be tied to hormonal like changes throughout your mental cycle and then as you transition into perimenopause and menopause. So from my experience, those are like my two like big like two biggest areas of expertise that I see every day when I work with my patients, the hormone piece and then the gut health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, that's so interesting. It's interesting to hear that from a different perspective because those are conversations that I hear in here all the time. They're like, how come I have severe constipation and bloating? And I'm like, oh, dear, yeah, so like it's just such a normal thing actually, Like even when you talk about like public floor issues and something like that, like in the four walls of the Transformation station, and I would believe like any space that women are comfortable to be, there's a lot of those different conversations that come up, and it's nice to have different avenues of people. Like I know we were talking earlier and you're like, oh, if they come to me with this and I'm really great at this and this is something that sets my soul on fire, like yeah, we're gonna do it. Or if there's something that's like one percent off chance and you're like, you know what, I don't specialize in this, but I know someone who does. And then I I when I meet someone who is a professional and they say that, I'm like bingo, because like I know, here we don't service everybody, and I'm like, I'm very much so community over competition or if someone comes in and they're looking for something specific, like the network is so big, especially in Ontario, we're like, oh, I actually know someone who I know, love and trust and sometimes I also work with that person where I'm like, Okay, check this out because this is what it is. So to me, that shows me that A you're very good at what you do and be You're very secure and confident in that. Yeah, I feel very privileged to be part of the naturopathic community.
Speaker 2: Like we're a small profession. I think there's only about three to four thousand of us practicing as working with patients in Canada, right, so it's a small profession. If I don't know the person, I know of someone who knows them, and I feel very confident in that I know what I'm really good at and what I'm passionate about. And if it's like you know what, I feel like. You know, if someone's talking to me and I'm like I'm getting a vibe and then they're also telling me some facts, I'm like, I think you're going to be a great fit for so and so, and I think that is very like unique to the profession as well, Like we all want to help people, and the profession is primarily female dominated too, so i'd say like eighty percent of us are women. So we also get like the need to like serve people and serve our patients and also have commitments to our community, our family being parents, like raising kiddos and stuff like that too. So I feel very like, very privileged and very like grateful to be part of the naturopathic community to be a natural path because it means a lot to me to work with patients and serve people this way.
Speaker 1: So that's gonna lead me to my next question, how did you tell us about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How did you get into this? Like this is all my goodness?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, So okay, So, as many as with many stories, mine is very nonlinear. So growing up, I always wanted to work with in the agricultural industry, believe it or not. And I worked with like horses and went to school for that, went to and did like an egg undergrad in biology and stuff like that, and I love working in that industry. But there was a couple things that weren't sustainable, primarily, like it really hurt my body right, like farming is not for the faint of heart. Like kudos to farmers out there who do this day and day out for like for generations. It's not just like one person, it's a it's all usually like family, a family model of business. But I also felt like in my heart something was missing and I didn't know what that was. And it was a real crisis of faith. Because I was in my early to mid twenties and I'd worked so hard. I gotten the degree, I was working in the industry. I was working like abroad, like with like sport performance animals in like the equine industry. Wow, And I loved it, and but also part of me like didn't love it.
Speaker 1: And I was like, what, like can I swear on this pocket?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay?
Speaker 1: I was like what the fuck? And it was like not like it's not a pretty.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? Like a real like okay, she she needs to do some thinking. So at the time, I was working abroad and I came back and to home and I hadn't lived at home for years and years, and I was like, I'm just going to try different jobs, right, because I like don't know what I don't know. So I worked in industrial machinery and moving. I worked as a marketing professional. I worked in property management for residential and commercial commercial properties. I was an executive assistant. I did like you know, like planning for like events, like event planning for uh, did all sorts of things, and I just tried stuff because I was young, and I was like, I just said yes to things. And I was like, I have no I'm not I don't have a marketing background. Do you want to hire me?
Speaker 1: And they're like yeah, And I was like okay.
Speaker 2: That was like it was the weirdest thing, the weirdest experience ever. I was like, all right, I'll just do I'll just say yes and figure things out and be honest and upfront saying like I have no experience, but I'll try it. And they and people I had very generous like mentors and bosses in my life from that perspective, and while I was doing all this, I was kind of like, Okay, what the heck do I actually want to do with my life? And I had seen a naturopath growing up or seen bearing naturopaths in my life, and I was like, oh, I always had an interest in like biology, right, and the effect of nutrition on human health in particular, and I was like, well, well, like I've never heard of that, Like can I what if I like, could I become a naturopath? And I was like, oh, I probably don't have like the degree for it, or I'm probably not like it's probably I'm probably not qualified.
Speaker 1: And I certainly didn't want to go back and do another undergrad Like I was just like, no, this is crappy. So it was enough the first time round.
Speaker 2: But I checked with the admission requirements to like the Naturopathic School UH in Canada, and I was like, Oh, I have all the requirements. I'm just missing two courses.
Speaker 1: Let me take those over the summer because I was studying mammals in the in my undergrad, right, and I was like, oh, like a human's a mammal, right, it's pretty much.
Speaker 2: The same thing. And that's so I was like, oh, so I took I took the two courses and I applied gotten and the rest was history. And I again I feel very and like I talk from this place of like, oh this is the exact way it went. It was it was going to go, it was not. It was a lot of ups and downs, a lot of hemming and hawing a lot of like uncertainty. But I think with that, like with going moving through that uncertainty allowed me to really be like, Okay, what do I actually want from life? Number one? And it made me very oriented to try to be the best that I could, like and do what I could and what I can for my patients. And I think it gives you that mentality of you know, is everything you can figure you're out down the line, just say yes within your capacity, and then you can problem solve along the way. So I think that perseverance piece. If I hadn't gone through all those ups and downs, I don't think I would have gotten through my naturopathic education because that is not that's a tough slog, like it's a long haul. And then also just the ups and downs of entrepreneurship in the healthcare space as well, because I am an entrepreneur, a clinician ce CEO, if you will. So I think everything has a purpose and you look at Hindsight twenty twenty and sometimes you're like, oh, this is like that's the way it's supposed to happen, and it did. But also I'm like, yeah, but life is uncertain and that's okay, And I'm very grateful for all of that, all of that messiness because it wasn't as it wasn't as clean cut as my story as I'm telling you it is always there's always a lot of gray, always, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yes, So I think too, like you have such a good personality and this is the first time actually we're meeting, this is the first time we've actually sat down to have a conversation. Yeah, And that's why I was like, Okay, I like what you stand for online and your videos and stuff that you post. It's very what's the word I'm looking for, Like very real? Yeah, like very like you show up as yourself and you're I find as you're talking, I'm like, I see a lot of parallels, like a lot of correlation between your story and my story, especially like I actually owned a property in Orro for a hot second, and I had horses. I had five horses. I had a couple of goats. I actually birthed two goats by myself on my property.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I wasn't supposed to be by myself, and I was not qualified for that, and I spent more time gagging, but I did it. So as you're talking to like, I wonder if you know this is this horse you tattoos on my artist, And like even like the entrepreneurship and the gray area and the ups and the downs, like when I first started my first business. I started when I was seventeen inems photography, and like it's interesting to see how much stuff goes ups and downs and ups, and like how you said about the marketing and as you're talking, I'm like, people gave you a chance because you got a great personality and you're transparent, and I think those two things actually coach Annie when she's just left before you walked in. That's something we were talking about because we talked about like, oh, like different people's skills and like her skills and like matching it with the personality. And in the last few podcasts, I've talked so much about like I come in with a level ten confidence and sometimes I have a level three skill depending on what it is. Yeah, And I'm like it's good because like people that have the confidence and they're willing to say yes, they're the ones I find that are going to get those opportunities to increase their skill to match their confidence. Whereas if someone has a lot of skill and they don't have that confidence. In the entrepreneurial world, that's just like, that's doomsday because if you don't have the confidence to step out and do anything, you're going to keep spinning your tires and you're never going to move forward. And I think that also lates to Actually, before I go into that, I'm laughing in my head because I'm like, because working with animals and mammals and humans are mammals, and I'm like, oh, I've had horses. Man, you don't know. There's sometimes when you go up to your horse and you're like, are you having a good day or not? You're gonna boot me off? Or you're gonna kick me or what are you gonna huff at me?
Speaker 2: Or no? I sometimes working with metapuzzle women's.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, And I think, like I think that that's okay, Like you're okay, you're allowed to have a ship day and you're and you're allowed to have a great day, like you're we're humans.
Speaker 2: We are dynamic beings. We are not static, same thing all the time. Stuff where we want change even if it is uncomfortable, and uh uh, maybe if you're screaming and kicking going into it. So that's so I love the love the analogy of like.
Speaker 1: The like the mare like that, like yes, in heat, like Chestnut Mare, Who's like I'm with like it was gonna like take out like an appendage versus women. Who's going to Who's like I'm hot flashing right now and I'm done, like like no, no, this is not this is not what I want.
Speaker 2: I'm tired of my night sweats.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. I think too, Like when you're around like the atmosphere and people that you're around, it's normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like when I go into like like a paddic, I'm like, oh, okay, I can see not having a day today. That's gonna be fine. Or one time I walked into a field of horses. I'm gonna say there's at least eight to ten horses and warm bloods, huge horses.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: And this is when I was first in my horsey world and I walked in with a gigantic bag of carrots. Oh my gosh, I didn't know I was gonna come out there alive. I kept the plastic.
Speaker 2: I'm just like whipping them, throwing them. So I'm just looking it.
Speaker 1: To the door, I'm like, I'm never doing that again. On the way and I got stung with freaking electric fens. I'm like, oh, today's the day, Like even on the gym floor, like dealing with different client hewle and different personalities and ages and everything, and like all the ups and downs of life. I tread lightly, but I almost tread like it doesn't exist. And sometimes like that's what people need, Like oh, I needed that so much today, And there's sometimes I'll put a feeler out and be like you're good, you know good, Okay, I'm gonna make a joke and keep on walking that, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean.
Speaker 1: So it's like learning who your who, your your client heel is, but also allowing them a space that they can be comfortable. Mm hmm, yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I think like the yeah, because exercise in itself, like there's such a movement, like you're there's a release, right, there's like an energetic release of like endorphins and you know, sweat, but also like you know, the emotions around the fight that you just had with your like significant other, or like you know, you didn't get that job promotion or you have to work extra to like meet that deadline. Or like your kid like upturned like the entire box of cheerios this morning, like and you're just like, I just need to get all this out.
Speaker 1: I need to like let this out in order to like feel remotely Okay, it's just it's a lot.
Speaker 2: I just leave the house right now. Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I find too just to correlate that with like nutrition and health and gut health. When you feel good, you want to do better. Yes, yeah, So like when you're when you have the proper nutrients and your fiber and your proteins and all your stuff that's in your in your body, I feel like that's gonna when people have a little bit extra bounce in their step, that's what is for the most part, gonna keep them going. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like if someone is they're not doing well in their gut health, and their hormones are all out of whack and they're not sleeping, chances are they're not gonna make it to a morning workout probably And if yeah, and if they're not sustaining that during the day, or if they are sustaining exactly that during the day, then they're not gonna make it to an evening workout either. So it's interesting, like it's a full circle between like what you're eating for your diet, all your micronutrients, your macronutrients, and also what you're doing on the gym floor. And to throw in another dynamic, there's sometimes when I know that people aren't eating enough food and they're trying to push through a workout and then they're tired, and then they're binging at night. And I used to be queen of that myself, and then they're like, oh, it's just my hormones. So there's sometimes I know that people are just slapping a label on it without actually assessing what's going on. Like a triple triple iced coffee from Jim Horton's and a bag old cream cheese maybe once in a blue moon, if that's your thing, like whatever, I'm not going to like dump on our shit on that. But like if that's a regular habitual routine, maybe it's like assess what it is that you're in taking and putting in your body before you even like I can't sleep that's and then you go until ten o'clock at night without eating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's and I think like the there is a chronic underfueling problem certainly that I see within my patient pool of you know, people will at breakfast or like just have a coffee, they might have a light lunch, and then by three pm they're like ravenous, right, and then between like by five onward, they're just constantly at the pantry or at their fridge, like eating whatever they can until ten o'clock when they have to go to bed. Right. So I always work with patients, I'm like, listen, like the it's not the there's no right or wrong food. There's no right or wrong like way to get your nutrition in, but at the timing, like you need to eat and fuel throughout the day because if you miss those first two windows of time to eat, you're going to you're kind of running on empty, right, You're running on fumes in your in your tank. So and then your body's like what the heck are we going through famine? Are we going through crisis? Like I'm hung, like we need to compensate for this, right, it doesn't know any better. It's just like we're running on with nothing. Right, So that's when your brain will ride things and just be like eat because I don't trust where the next meal is coming from. So it's uh. And when so when you have that, when you've been doing that for years, it can be tough to override that system, right, or override that those mechanisms, those signals that your body will send to each other, because when you wake up in the morning after you've like had all of that food at night, you're probably not as hungry, right, right, So it's uh. And there's different nuances to like why we do that, Like is it diet culture, is it like condition like PCOS or pms? Is it just like you running around like a chicken with your head cut off in the morning to try to get kids out the door, or you have a long ass commute to work and you're like, oh crap, Like I just need to like grab something and get on the road, right because you've like spent forty five minutes in bed like doom scrolling.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: There's different there's different reasons why we can do why that happens. And that's and that's a okay, but it's the okay. I always tell me patients, like you need to eat something before ten am. And even if it's like a tim's like drink right with something that's actually like food from tims. At least that's something, and then you need to also have a meal like two maybe three hours later, right after that first time you've eaten, And yeah, we can and we can talk about how do you optimize like protein and fiber and like what are healthy fats and like carbs are good, right, Like don't underfuel because that carves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm like tired.
Speaker 2: Of like the like low carb train. So that's a that's a ted talk for another day. And it's there's lots of nuances for how to how to do it. You don't have to have this like perfectly instagramble meal like day in and day out. In fact, I would say that's pretty exhausting, and don't you want to spend your time doing something else instead that's more fun quite frankly. But there is like a base level that you just need to eat right, and if you eat, you're eating more frequently, and if you're eating to fuel, you will find naturally that you're not starving by three, four or five PM, and you feel better and you don't feel bloated and distended as much, and you don't get like acid reflux from like heartburn from lying down at night because you've just like overindulged, right, right. Yeah, So there's lots of and and that's better for your all of your gut down the line, right, So there's lots of Yeah, there's I think people health is very nuanced, right, Like, there's lots of ways to go about being healthy. And what I would recommend for, you know, a mom who's like thirty eight working full time with like kids, it's not the same thing I would recommend for my retiree who's an empty nester and has lots more like time on the go, right or comparatively to someone who's like, you know, recently like just survived like cancer survivorship, or who has you know, like gone through like you know, a majorly intense divorce, and they're like, I think I might have TTSDS from this, and like there's everything is different, right, Everything is treated a little differently, And I don't like the one size fits all label for that. And I think that's the beauty of what I do. I have the ability to sit down with people actually get to know them as well as know like what their diagnosi is and like all their symptoms and stuff, but actually figure out what that ticks, what makes them tick as a person and what they actually want out of life and what they want in their day to day. And if you don't want to spend a lick of time cooking, that's a okay because we can make that work for you and we can still fuel you so that you feel good and you can go out and do the things you actually want to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I love that you said that. We have a lot like our beliefs are like right here.
Speaker 2: Besides, it's so nice.
Speaker 1: We were like, don't come at me with his little car bullshit, Like yes man, yes, And that's something I see all the time with our in body scans. Actually, this is a print out. This is not mine. This is someone left here. I know whose it is, but I'm not gonna say it here.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: This is the in body scan. Actually this is a freaking phenomenal cool read.
Speaker 2: So this is.
Speaker 1: Something so at the bottom it shows your your weight, your skeleted muscle, which is your muscle along like your spine, like your back, your joints, your hip, your knees, and then body fat percentage. So this person specifically, it looks like their weight is pretty much the exact same. But if you look, their skeleted muscle has increased. Yes, so it's actually gone up, and their body fat decreased over a full percentage. So that means that their weight. Yeah, Like the home scale will show that this person's weight is the exact same, but the intricate part is that they've actually put on lean muscle and strength in there. Where it matters is to mees a line of longevity your skeleton muscle. Yeah, And I like this for my patients. When I'm doing an embodied I want this look like an eye. It's like a I want the weight, the skeleton muscle, and the body fat to be kind of like almost like in a line as opposed to like a se So when it's a see, we don't have enough skeleton muscle relative to your weight relative to the body fat mass. So that I think, and again, like the the scale is one metric of multiple that I use when trying to achieve like optimal weight loss with patients or weight management or whatever that looks like for the individual. And sometimes I'm like, listen, it's actually you might not see a change on the scale, but you're going to see a change in how you're close fit. You might see a change in measurements of like your hips and waist, you will definitely see changes to the embody before any other like metric that you would you can test on your own. And that's I think important for patients because if they're kind of like three to six months in starting out like some sort of like weight management plan whatever, that looks like you're not going to see scale changes, or if you do see scale changes, it's not going to be sustained in a year from that point, right, There's probably going to be some rebound like weight gain. There's probably going to be like changes to the changes. It won't be they won't They.
Speaker 2: Won't last, unfortunately, And that's not a person's fault by any stretching the imagination that it has a lot to do with genetics, and that has a lot to do with basically this concept called metabolic adaptation. Right, So when a person tries to lose like, let's say thirty percent more than thirty percent from like their starting weight whatever that max was outside of pregnancy, your body is going to be like, oh shit, are we going through famine? Are we going like are we going through war? Are we going through like a starvation period where there's not enough resources, and it will actively your brain will actively tell you to uh lower your basal metabolically rate, which is like the rate of you know what you're what you burn energy wise, just like sitting essentially day in and day out, regardless of any other activity that you do. Your body will lower that, like that basal rate to try to conserve your energy so that you don't die. Right, Like, that's things you dying because because you're like you're because they're they're concerned in the wrong long run that you're going to run out of fuel, right and resources.
Speaker 1: It's not natural.
Speaker 2: No, it's not natural. So I let patients know. There's there's the there's a lot of misconceptions around what it means to lose weight sustainably. There's a lot of misconceptions around you know, what healthy could look like, right, and uh, there's a lot of you have to there's a lot of things to unpack around yo yo dieting. Like when was the first time you were put on a diet? Was it as a teenager? Was it as a preteen? When was the first time you were told you have to.
Speaker 1: Watch your weight?
Speaker 2: There's so much like from like a like a from the psychological perspective to consider, and you don't always need to work with like a talk therapist, although I do advocate for it when required. But you have to like acknowledge that there's going to be limitations to what you can do if your head is like pre programmed to thinking I have to lose weight all the time, I'm not skinny enough, I have to do this, I have to that, Like you're setting yourself up for failure. Yeah. Right, But I love the embody. I love that you guys offer it as a as a part of the gym experience or the client experience here at Transformation Station, because it's not a tool. It's not it's a tool that's really like unique and goes above and beyond what you can see on traditional scale at home. And I argue, like, if you just have the scale at home, like pause it and don't use it. If you're if it's the only metric that you want to track, get someone else to track it for you. Work with a healthcare professional, work with a personal trainer, work with somebody else that can track that stuff for you if you don't have the capacity to do it yourself. Totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always say like when people are doing this, Like people ask me, like how often do people do their inbody scan? I'm like, well, for myself, I try to do it once a month, but there's sometimes ignorance is bliss and I'm going three months, yeah, because I focus on, Hey, how do I feel? Do I have sustainable energy? Am I more irritable or no?
Speaker 2: Which that's highs and lows.
Speaker 1: That's a whole other ballgame with me rat at this point. Yeah, but like where's the stress management coming from? That's what I'm like, bigger than myself right now. But I love the inbody because it shows like there's so much more beyond just that number, Like the scale of the muscle is huge. This also I love how it reassures people as well, because people are they like, I'm scared. I'm like, this is not a scale of It's not going to tell you whether your skin is good or bad.
Speaker 2: No, there's always things.
Speaker 1: If you want to look for ways to improve, you can, But there's always a high five somewhere in the in body. Like the scale of muscle is such a big thing, especially as we're getting older, Like this line here is technically the average line for each thing, so that's based on average, not for that exact person, but like.
Speaker 2: That's what is suggested.
Speaker 1: And then the top number in this graph, I always tell people to take a picture of it. Or I have a book from the dollar store that has like clear sheets in it, so I put mine and I write my notes up here because there's sometimes like eh, one week after my period or like whatever like krabby pants or eight breakfast first or like whatever. So the top number is how much muscle is in each limb, and then the bottom number is how that strength is distributed. So I love when I can see when people are like, no, I want to see what my graph is. I want to see where my strength is increasing, so that can give them a high five. And then there's sometimes people are looking for injury recover, so they're like, oh, let's see like usually if someone's scan has an imbalance of like let's say five plus percent, especially like in their legs or their shoulders, because a lot of people come in with like a shoulder injury or they have like sciatica and stuff like that. So I'm like, oh, this shows that there might have been something that happened. Like I remember when person's like a ten or twelve percent difference in their legs and I'm like, oh, I'm like, did something happen. It was a couple that came in and I'm like, did something happen in your left leg or right like whatever leg it was. And she was like, no, not really. And then the husband was like, oh, remember that time you broke your foot and she was like that was like ten years ago. Did you ever do any rehab or anything about that. She's like, oh no, I just felt better. I kept going and played soccer or whatever. I was like, oh, okay, cool. She's like, yeah, you can tell from my scan and I'm like, well, it's not a magic eight ball by no, no, no, but there's like some insights that you can read where things have gone on. And the basil metabolic rate is also something that's huge. So this person specifically burns about fourteen hundred calories just sleeping. That's their body just sustaining themselves, keeping themselves alive while they're sleeping. And then a lot of women like they say, like twelve hundred calories and that's your weight loss, and I'm like, ooh, well you're already burning fourteen hundred calories just keeping your body alive, plus you have this person actually has two small kids as well, plus you have two small kids, plus you have not that she would ever eat twelve hundred calories and say that as an example of a lot of things that I do here in here, it's like, well, you're also chasing after your kids. You're also working out like five days a week. Like, if you're eating twelve hundred calories, you're doing yourself a disservice. And the magic for me when I tell people like, no, you have to eat, well, I'm eating too much, and I'm like, you're not eating anything. If you just log for three days, you don't have the log for the rest of your life, but just log so you can be aware of what's going on, what's happening. And then sometimes they'll put their two scans together and they're like, well, I didn't really eat much and I was busy, and then all of a sudden, their skull of muscle drops, their body fact goes up. And this actually people that are on GLP ones I see that a lot is they end up losing weight and water and muscle and some fat, but then their skeletal muscle goes down and the strength starts to go down, and they're like, well, I don't understand because look at I feel better because I'm thinner. Yes, I'm like, oh yeah, that's where it's like there, instead of using it as a tool to eat more substantial food or more food to I guess, it's to eliminate the food noise. A lot of the times they're using it as a tool to develop a different type of disordered eating, whereas maybe it's like, well, I only eat one cracker today because I want to be thin. It's like, oh dear, And then they get mad because they're like, well my bloody fat went up. I'm like, oh, sorry about that. But also yeah, so it's really it's interesting what the inbody says. But again, it doesn't measure value. It doesn't measure those things. It can be a good tool. Some people do it once a year, some people do it once a month. A lot of people here will use it because it keeps her ahead above water from being discouraged. Yes, yeah, so it's a different type of a tool, but ultimately it's not the end all and be all. But if someone is very numbers driven, I have a lot of people that book their scans as well, who are doing like police training or they're preparing for like bodybuilding shows, like fitness competitors when it's a sport and they're tracking their macros to a t and theyre this is their on season, like you know, there's on season off season, and then like that's fine. I lived in that world for a hot second, and I would never imagine going back to that ever, because that, to me, was not sustainable. So now I'm more like this is what like I practice balance eating, like I practice like lift weights, be healthy. You don't have to over exercise, under exercise, Like it's trying to create a balance, which is such a pile of crap. And in the long run to say that, because it's never always going to be balanced depending on the season of life, Like there's highs of life, there's lows of life, and everything else in between. So when you said, like when you lose weight, it's not just like you lost weight, or when you feel good, you just feel good and you have that forever. It's like when rent is due and you got to pay it every month, every single time you wake up, every time you have a choice. There's that pivoting moment where it's like, am I gonna choose this or that? And there's sometimes we're gonna choose this over here and it's gonna be okay. Yeah. Yeah, you can choose the good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can, because you can choose your body.
Speaker 1: You can choose what it is that you want to do. Ultimately, whatever you get back is what you're putting in. But that restrictive like low fat diets, low carb diets, low this, low that, and also not even looking at the whole picture, like gut health, like micro nutrients like your fiber, like all those things that are so incredibly important, and practicing sign languages like that so funny.
Speaker 2: Great, I'll go and show it up everywhere my life right now.
Speaker 1: And I already talk with my hands and I was like, I'm a hand talker, and so if it makes sense, this is how you say cheer in asl. Yeah. But like there's so much more deeper than just a number on a scale, just weight loss or fat loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like there's.
Speaker 1: Sometimes when people are like I just want to feel good and I don't care, Like I'm a plus sized person and I'm healthier than I wasn't saying a pig a hit, I'm out there with a pick and chit like I I know my blood work. I do my blood work, and I feel good. People can look at me and say, you want a gym. How come you've been in the fitness industry for a decade. I'm not going to pretend like that doesn't exist. Yeah, and you're chubby. Well it used to be four hundred pounds and totally immobile. Yeah, and now I lead a step class for sixteen minutes every Sunday and throughout the week where it's like, well it's night and date for what fitness and nutrition has done for my body and starting from the inside.
Speaker 2: Yep. So it's interesting in that context, oh one hundred percent, And like again, that's the nuance of health, Like it's everything is relative, Like it's not one size fits all.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's just like people look for easy answers because life.
Speaker 1: Is complicated life.
Speaker 2: You're like, you've got all sorts of things pulling you in different directions.
Speaker 1: Throughout your day, right, and people are like, I just want an easy answer, like just tell me what to eat, Like, just tell me what to do.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, listen, like what do you want to eat? Like, what do you want to do right, Like there's there's a little bit of ownership like that you have to take when it comes to your health in order to see changes that you want down the line, and that taking ownership of that is not always easy. Uh, And there's going to be moments where you don't do is get a job, and you have to be cool with that, right because you're human and life happens and it's messy and it's uncertain and that's okay, right, And the more you kind of sit with that, I think serves the patient best because it means Okay, regardless of whatever the fuck throat is thrown my way from life, I have the capacity to get up on that bandwagon, jump back on that horse, like do all the things to get back up when life kind of knocks you down, right, Yeah, And I think, like again, I'm so, I always feel very grateful to be that coach for people. And I say coach because a lot of what I do is health coaching in a way, like I have to talk to people about like getting through all right, like this is what we got to do and this this didn't work this time, and let's troubleshoot this in the future. Let's reconvene back because that's not priority right now. Like figuring that out with people is such a like it is such a calling, and I'm so grateful that I can do it on a day to day basis, and I'm glad that I found my job, Like I love my job. I wouldn't I like, can't go back. There's nothing else I would rather do than talk to people about the stuff day and day out. So yeah, I'm very very grateful, very lucky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you sounds so acknowledged. I love everything about you, Like.
Speaker 2: You're just so great.
Speaker 1: I like myself a lot too. I'm not gonna lie, it took me a little while to get there. Ye, there's days where you know, you're like, ah, fuck this like this is just no, this is just sucked. But but I feel like, and I think that's a beautiful thing about aging too, Like you just don't care as much and it's so cliche and it's so like you hear it and you're like, oh, yeah, sure whatever, but like genuinely like, oh is the day, Like with every moment, I'm like, yeah, I don't care, Like.
Speaker 2: It's fine, we'll figure it out. Well, Like you know, yeah, We've got this opinion from this one person in our lives, and it's like okay, like just like they're not here, they're not in the inter now, like when we're all like, you know, dead and gone, No one's gonna care, right, Like, just do what you gotta do, yeah, to make life better. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that pivoting. It's funny because I was eating breakfast this morning and I was thinking of you, and then I got here and I was thinking of you again because I'm like, oh, I've never actually like met someone for the first time and was like, we got to do a podcast. Yeah, like I hope that. I was like, I hope we have the right like chemistry and the same like belief system, because what happens if not, I'm like, well then we're gonna have a really good bad on the on this episode. Yeah, it's gonna be controversial, it's gonna be fire, it's gonna be great. I will have not but I love that so much. But I looked at your Instagram. Oh also, what is your Instagram? So listeners on how to find you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can find me on Instagram at doctor so d r dot Liz dot n d uh and I'm also on LinkedIn a little bit. I've just started that up and you can search for my name, doctor Liz Dalgleish. It's it's a tongue tie tongue twister my last name, but D A L G L I S H. It's like a G sandwich between two wells. People are people.
Speaker 1: People always struggle with it, and that's okay because it's I feel like it's memorable. It is yeah and uh yeah, and I always my dms are always open. I'm I can't sometimes depending on the questions, I can't answer them because it's like we have to just have a doctor patient relationship and it's not an appropriate place to answer some questions. But I'm like, always talk to me at a fifteen minute complimentary console. If you're on the fence and you're like, I don't really know do I need to work with an at your path or not? Are you the right fit for me?
Speaker 2: Can we just talk a little bit more about my personal experience or like situation and I'm happy to give some guidance on next steps if you book in with me for a one to one appointment or figure something else out instead, I'll be like, oh, you got to do this first or hold off because you're like moving Like that's probably if you're like packing up your house and like trying to like move from A to B, Like don't don't come see me up, come see me after, like you have all come see me after that's all done. It's just yeah, like save yourself, save yourself distress. I love that.
Speaker 1: So all right, so thanks, thanks for talking. We're gonna wrap it up. Thank you so much for listening to the listeners, and thank you so much for coming into the Transformation Station and sharing your expertise with myself and the listeners as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for having me. I'll come back anytime you want.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think your next conversation should have about alcohol and wine.
Speaker 2: Love that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, stay tuned to the podcast. I hope you enjoyed this episode. If this resonated with you, feel free to share it with a coworker, a friend, shared on your social media. Also, you know where to find doctor Liz. You can also reach me at Christina Romita or at the Transformation Station. Berry. Until next time,