Speaker 1: Gaff.
Speaker 2: I'm six forty, It's Friday. Thank goodness alive, everybody. iHeartRadio. App is later with Mo Kelly and goodness. It's unfortunate I have to start with this, but I feel compelled to start with this because it's been the talker the story of the day, Gene Hackman and his wife, Betsy Arakawa, and I want to make sure I acknowledge her by name. Saw far too many news reports where it was just Gene Hackman and his wife, as if she weren't a person of equal stature and standing in this story.
Speaker 1: But Gene Hackman and Betsy Aracaa.
Speaker 2: I remember how I said, Look, I'm going to wait.
Speaker 1: We're gonna find out what happened.
Speaker 2: There would be an autopsy, there would be a toxicology, and we still haven't gotten the toxicology report yet, but we would get some of these answers, and far too many people, I mean actual commentators, television personalities. Of course, idiots on social media could not wait to try to fill in all the blanks with some sort of conspiracy theory because they had moved to New Mexico or something like they were hiding from someone who had to been a hit man or they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Speaker 1: But you know they want it was actually a hit.
Speaker 2: They just wanted to look like that, because why did one dog die and the other dogs? You hurt all of them. You saw those, You probably read some of those. In fact, you probably wrote some of those. And I was just saying, there's no need to rush, speculate and try to fill in the blanks ourselves.
Speaker 1: That's why we have, you know, medical examiners.
Speaker 2: They were going to give us the answers or at least some approximation, and they did just that. And if you don't know, they both died of quote unquote natural causes. Betsy Arakawa died of hantivirus from affectant rodent or rodent droppings. If you know anything about the hantavirus and gene. Hackman had some sort of heart disease heart related event which led to his death, and he also had contributing factors of Alzheimer's. I'm not a physician, but that's basically the story. He might have heard Mark Ronner reporting on it. He basically died of being ninety five years old. Imagine that. Imagine that most of us will not get to see ninety five.
Speaker 1: That's a good long run. It is a good long run.
Speaker 2: But it's a terribly, terribly a sad story as far as how this came to an end. And I think about Gene Hackman from what I know now as far as the advanced Alzheimer's and how his wife from what we know that'si Arakawa preceded him in death. I wonder what was the last six or seven days of Gene Hackman's life like, was he aware that his wife had passed? Was he completely in control of his faculties? Did did he dive from malnutrition as well? You know, was he able to feed himself because he obviously wasn't communicating with the outside world.
Speaker 3: It's you know, we need somebody from law enforcement or the family to fill in those gaps in part to stop what you've been talking about, which is just the irresponsible conjecture from numbskulls. And I think that makes the story worse, the irresponsible conjecture from the numb school.
Speaker 1: Thank you, okay.
Speaker 3: Say it.
Speaker 2: Because you deserve better. They deserve better. And I think we as a civil society should do better.
Speaker 1: We didn't.
Speaker 2: We live in this world where everything we don't he'd immediately have all the answers to or if we don't immediately know the results of an election, or if not everything is explained to us immediately, there must be some sort of conspiracy. There must be some sort of subterfuge, some sort of skull duggery or something, and we just want to make ourselves feel better as if only I know the story. Ah No, it's not what the media is telling us. We know what happened. Someone murdered them. It didn't have to end the story, at least as far as how we told it. It didn't have to end that way. Gene Hackman deserve better. That's the Arakawa deserve better, and we should know better and do better going forward. It was a story then, and we made it worse. We could have just waited until we got some solid reporting. First. The first report we remember is like, no, nothing suspicious, natural causes, and then people didn't believe that. Well, yeah, probably by first look, if you just find two people and then through more investigation there was a degree of suspicion attached and a more thorough investigation, then we get the autopsy results. In fact, no, we got the information from the from the gas company and said no, no, no, there was no gas leak, so it was not carbon monoxide poisoning. As time passed, we got more and more information, we got closer and closer to the truth.
Speaker 1: But some people don't want the truth.
Speaker 2: Some people just want to irresponsibly speculate and provide conjecture, and so I think it makes it worse than it actually is.
Speaker 1: And there are some, because we're so conspiratorial.
Speaker 2: Who won't accept that this is the actual truth because it does not job with what they.
Speaker 1: Have in their mind already.
Speaker 2: No matter, no amount of facts, will make any difference, No facts will matter to those individuals. You know who I'm talking about. You probably are friends with them, you might be related to them. Hell, you might be one of them. And that's why I think we, in a societal sense, we have failed one another because we lose sight of our humanity. We lose sight of the fact that Gene Hackman, although he was a two time Academy Award winner, was someone's father, obviously someone's husband, someone's relative. And we lose sight of the fact that all that rampant speculation impacts the surviving members of the family.
Speaker 1: We forget that we shouldn't forget it, but we obviously do, and some people don't even care. When I was looking at just the general tenor of the commentary surrounding Gene Hackman and Betsy Aracaba, it was flagrantly, flagrantly just disregarding good common sense and decency. Well, what's the wildest thing you read?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: As a hit man?
Speaker 3: Of course, yes, why wouldn't you send a hit man out to take care of somebody who's ninety five? I'm not kidding. I saw that a few times. Yeah, a hit man from Mexico. And they kept stressing Mexico and it's like, no, people, it was New Mexico. And I don't know why you're making the stretch all the way to Mexico as if that by itself is tantamount for assassination.
Speaker 2: Because it's mixed in with our political ideology. New Mexico borders Mexico, so therefore it must have been some illegal immigrant.
Speaker 1: You know, they're not sitting their best.
Speaker 2: That's the way I read that seriously, because it's not like Gene Hackman lived as far as I know, some life where people were searching, everyone knew where he was.
Speaker 3: It was like he was hiding. He just removed himself from public. They're sending people to kill our elderly actress. This is unacceptable. That's how ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Hey, it gotten because people thought that they didn't immediately have all the answers given to them, that someone must have been hiding the truth.
Speaker 3: Well, we do that in so many areas of our life, and I'm not even going to list them because I don't want the headache of complaints. But this whole incident that's been dragging on for days. I've written many many obituaries in my journalism career, and you take extra care with those because it's often the last word on somebody, and you never want to make a mistake so much as a typo in the name, anything like that. You take extraordinary care with thebituaries because also their families feelings are at stake. Their family's going to read every word you write, and in this case, they're going to hear every word that's said as well. And what kind of monster would put something intentionally out there that they don't know for sure to be true. That's who we are now, Yeah, oh yeah, that's right. It's later with mo Kelly kfi Am six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. And there's a new Orange County ninety one freeway project which broke ground today. Got to tell you about. It's going to take like forever. It's never gonna get done, the traffic's not going to get any better. Or I just did the whole story. Okay, Well we'll talk about it more when we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: If you have lived in southern California long enough, you have seen the progression and evolution of our freeway system. If you're over the age of I don't know, forty five or so, you may remember how long it took to get the one oh five Freeway actually built. It took forever to day, like finished, maybe a decade after it was supposed to be done. If you remember, like the early nineteen nineties, all the work they were doing on the five Freeway going towards south towards Orange County, and it seemed like they were doing work on the five for freakin' ever for a good decade.
Speaker 1: There was always construction.
Speaker 2: There was always something slowing down the flow of traffic on the five Freeway. You might remember the expansion project of the four or five freeway going to the.
Speaker 1: Valley over the hill.
Speaker 2: As they say that took forever, and they were all done in the hopes of alleviating traffic. And I'm quite sure all of us would agree traffic is still as horrible as ever. It took me two hours to drive twenty two miles today, two hours, no exaggeration. And I've been here for all of those expansion projects, widening of the freeways, insertion of the high occupancy vehicle lanes, called them the diamond lanes back in the day. None of it has helped. That's why I'm a little bit more cynical than most. When I come across a story about some sort of freeway improvement project which is going to help alleviate traffic, I just kind of just start just shaking in anger, because I don't know if it's going to turn out any differently, But supposedly for efforts to improve driver safety and relieve congestion, that's how it's being builled. On the ninety one Freeway in Orange County, a five year, seven hundred and seventy nine million dollar project is underway, and I'm not here to talk about the money spent. Look, someone's getting paid, someone has a job. Fine, I'm just saying I know what the history was when it comes to these expansion projects. The Orange County Transportation Authority and partnership with Caltrans broke ground on the SR ninety one improvement project today and the project is supposed supposed to take place in three Faise Jesus along a five mile stretch between SR.
Speaker 1: Fifty seven and.
Speaker 2: A fifty five at Lakeview Avenue, with a completion target date of twenty thirty. Remember what I was saying about the one oh five freeway, It's probably not going to be finished by twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: But let's say it's finished by twenty thirty five. All right, how.
Speaker 2: Much is it really going to change the flow of traffic? And I know you got to do something. But we've talked long and hard about the people who were supposedly leaving California because California is just so horrible. Thousands and thousands of people are leaving. And remember what I said, I said, thank you, thank goodness. The more people that left, hopefully the better the traffic. Because for me, it was never political it was all about my commute. I'm selfish like that. I know, with fewer people on the road, fewer people in the state means fewer people on the road, fewer runners that are probably given out everybody with.
Speaker 3: We're not doing that. That's not what those are. What those already have a number of names. We don't need to call them by my name. You actually you should. I think you ought to get that trademarked.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: There must be some more fruitful way to attack this problem. You're stuck with it now. People are just gonna think of the bird and Mark Ronner. Thank God, nobody's listening. Yeah, no one's listening.
Speaker 2: But improvements include the reconstruction of on ramps and off ramps, the addition of a regular east bound lane for a portion of the project, and interchange improvements to lessen the need for drivers to merge and weave. Okay, I hope so, but it's only five miles and I've driven that portion of the ninety one for the past thirty years. At least I've been driving for forty years and probably yeah, closer to forty years, so I know that section of the freeway real well. Spent a lot of time in the Fullerton area, not too far from there. I don't know how much is going to make anything better. I personally think this is just me. If we put more effort and emphasis into our railway system and that goes out beyond just La Metro, that's more like Metrolink going out that way, that would be more of a viable alternative. But we're so stuck in our cars and it's almost impossible to think of life outside of our cars. I wish people could see other cities, and I know LA is so expansive, it is so spread out. The whole idea of not being in a car for most people, I get it. It's not feasible, and it's not safe too either, But that's a whole other discussion.
Speaker 1: But here's another freeway project.
Speaker 2: I'm quite sure it's well intentioned, I'm quite sure it's even necessary, and I'm quite sure it probably will improve the flow of traffic at that five mile portion for a lot of people. But I don't know if we will ever be able to get ahead of the traffic issue here in southern California. And to only really understand it, you had to have lived through it and seen it. Now if you come like Mark Ronner, if you come from another state, it's just bad traffic. But if you grew up here and you've lived here your whole life, you've seen how it has gotten progressively worse by decade. It used to be the one ten Freeway was never all that crowded, and my first job was downtown. I think it was like eighth and Hill Street when I was working for the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra. So this is the early nineties. It was a straight, easy stretch straight downtown didn't have any problem. And that was before they had that fast track lane. That was before they had the real high occupancy vehicle lane.
Speaker 1: It was only if they did.
Speaker 2: It was only one lane, so they weren't trying to cram everybody over to the right in those lanes, but it was easy to do.
Speaker 1: Now the one ten Freeway is just horrible.
Speaker 2: I can't speak for Stefan, but for me, it only opens up if you're going south after you get past Slawson. Got to get past Slawson and then it'll start to open up a bit when you're just north of the Englewood area, And if you're going north, it's just bad because you're going towards downtown.
Speaker 1: You know they can. And part of the reason, and here's how it's connected.
Speaker 2: Part of the reason why it's so bad is because they've put in those fast track lanes that only four cars use, five if you include Stephan because he uses them. Tell me I'm wrong, Stephan. Not a lot of people use the fast track lays. You're not wrong about that at all. And then all the rest of us, regular people, we're in the regular lanes, just stuck.
Speaker 1: I think it's four lanes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's two lanes, but the regular lanes fo yeah, yeah, and the fast track is two lanes, but they're two huge lanes. I say that to say, if you took out the fast track lanes, and I know that's about money, and you just had six lanes of people just driving.
Speaker 1: It would be better for everyone because technically, I think that used to be the diamond lane. Yes it was, it was, and now it's fast tracked.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's double the width, yeah, because there was only one lane for the diamond lane, and you could conceivably have six lanes going in both directions at that point on the one ten, and that probably would alleviate the traffic problem at least on the one ten. And I say that because I know they have the fast track lanes in Orange County on the ninety one right around that point as well. How do I know that because I accidentally got in one of those lanes one time and they have these these like vertical dividers. You can't drive over them. You know, you're literally stuck in there. Yeah, you're stuck in there. So and I accidentally took the wrong and and they'll scan you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I got the ticket later on.
Speaker 2: My point is if we did the things which made more sense as opposed to always trying to make a profit on everything, I believe the traffic would be less of an issue. If we had six free flowing lanes in each direction, which they can in most portions of these freeways where they have fast track, it would not be as bad.
Speaker 3: I want to know, if Fush's secret, what do you got a blow up dollar a mannekin to put in your passenger seat?
Speaker 1: Are you know you can do it with fast track? Tell them, oh, oh fast track, Yeah you can do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's that's why they made fast track, because you don't have to have someone in the car with you.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I'm too cheap for whatever that costs. No, and I'm too cheap.
Speaker 2: Also, my problem was it doesn't go pass downtown. If they had fast track which went through downtown, I would to the five. Just get me to the five from the one ten. I would pay big money for that. But it stops at USC and you're still a good five or six miles from downtown.
Speaker 1: Right at the game. Yeah, right at the Gale One Center.
Speaker 3: Now do trains Anybody who has ever been to Europe and then sees LA's traffic, thank you. Well, we'll just be insane with rage, like why can't we have what they have?
Speaker 2: Because they plan their infrastructure and then they put money into their infrastructure.
Speaker 3: And they don't have lobbyists buying off Congress with money from fossil fuel.
Speaker 1: That's true too, that's true. I'll allow that, will you?
Speaker 2: Yes later with mo Kelly Cay if I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Yes, two hours to get in today, twenty two miles two hours.
Speaker 3: Like two freaking hours, one direction. I can tell you use the time to meditate. I did, no, seriously, I did.
Speaker 2: That's why I usually turn off the radio, and I just try to stay in a calm state in my thoughts, maybe return some phone calls. That's a great time too, I got two hours to kill Why not. Oh yeah, you're giving off a real sedate vibe right now. It sounds almost like he was being sarcastic. Never Never, when we come back, we got it. Remind you it is daylight saving time change weekend or something like that on Sunday. Yes, the days are going to get longer, We're going to have more sunlight, and I'll be in a much better mood, Mark, much better mood. And also you notice the traffic will get better because of daylight saving Is that how that works? Or at least depending on the time that you leave work. I'll tell you another side. I'll tell you on the side. Got some good news for you. We know the bars are closing an hour earlier. This is not that Mark, Okay, okay, let's do it.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: But I'm actually happy about this particular Friday because that means the Sunday go back to daylight saving time. I know it sounds kind of weird, but I actually look forward to it in the way that I dread when daylight Saving Time is over and we go back to standard time. I do know, going back to last SEC when I was talking with Mark Ronner about why it impacts traffic, and this is not aecdotal I don't have any data to prove this, but I do notice a considerable difference. We were talking about traffic during daylight saving time, since we have more sunlight or i'll say a you know, shifting degree of sunlight.
Speaker 1: I find that people tend.
Speaker 2: To spread out the time in which they're going home. They will stay at the office a little bit later, and the whole five to six o'clock PM crunch is not as as difficult to manage, and because people will stay later at work because why the sun's out. But when the sun is down and it's dark at four point thirty reasonable people's like, oh.
Speaker 1: My day's over.
Speaker 2: So you get on the road at around four thirty five o'clock, it's absolutely hell.
Speaker 1: Everybody's trying to go home at the same time.
Speaker 2: And also during daylight saving time, you get closer to spring break and also summer break, so there are fewer cars than into the summers.
Speaker 1: It's just all the way around.
Speaker 2: I don't have to wake up and it's pitch black dark at seven thirty in the morning. Look, stop laughing, Stefan. If you're not gonna give me a rim shot, I wish you could see him. He's eating food that the Tuola got for the team tonight, Thank you very much, Tuala quietly, and he's like listening to the show.
Speaker 3: He's not in the show. He's just as just a listener. Well, he's got his priority. It's like, wow, this is my show, and.
Speaker 2: He's gonna laugh at my jokes.
Speaker 1: And see it's not supposed to be like that.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to be at the ready because I might say something very funny at any moment.
Speaker 1: Hushmark, Yeah, you want to be ready for that.
Speaker 3: Be on a hair trigger for mo being funny.
Speaker 2: Oh here we go, Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 1: But what the point is?
Speaker 3: That's why I do look forward to daylight saving time, just more slight. I'm in a much more cheery mood. I don't I don't like the winter. I don't like the cold, I don't like the darkness. It's all good starting Sunday. I admire your adherence to daylight saving time with no s on the end of it.
Speaker 1: That is a remnant of Chris Little. That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Now. There is some dangers with this time change. It's not all good moment what are you talking about? There are some mental things that we have to deal with that if we are not ready. All of that traffic and all of the bad driving and all that, it just compounds because of the time change. People's rhythm is thrown off. Sometimes people aren't getting as much sleep because they're prepared for getting up earlier. So it's just everything is bad and mentally. This is This is a proven scientific facts. Many studies have gone into proving that just the time changing alone is bad. But comenday we could be in for some more accidents.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll be fine, I'll be fine, it won't be a problem.
Speaker 2: I don't drive at the same time as all these other hooligans and hulum sin ernat out there. I don't don't. I usually get on the road at like two o'clock or something. That's what I get to avoid more of you. I'm not in that morning crush of traffic, and I'm not in that evening crush of traffic. It's worse now because it's daylight saving time. What I dealt with today, I left the house a little too late. I got on the road at like three point fifteen, and that's the kiss of death. Can't do that because that means I'm hitting downtown. It took me an hour to go ten miles to downtown, and I looked at my clock. It was four o'clock and I was just downtown. I left a little bit after three, and by then it's way too late because people are actually leaving more like if you got to work at seven am, you're probably leaving around four.
Speaker 3: I think it's the change that screws most people up. Just pick a thing, pick one, and let's stick with it, because it's the going back and forth that requires like a week of adjustment.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I wish we would just stay at daylight saving time the whole time. I would not want to be standard time, but I would like to minimize the amount of darkness.
Speaker 1: That's just me. That's just me. I don't care.
Speaker 3: Just pay one because we were not an agricultural farming society like we were when this started.
Speaker 2: But we do have a huge agriculture industry in California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but back I would say a generation or two before you and I, the majority of Americans belonged to farming families in one way or another, and now it's a sliver of that.
Speaker 2: What year is this you're talking about? Because you're older than me, I don't know if we're in the same jo. You listen up, Grandpa. You don't want to get into this. I was, you know, the like the fifties and earlier. I wasn't alive then, so I don't know. Well, neither was I.
Speaker 1: Oh you were talking like you knew something. You're like, okay, you must have been born.
Speaker 3: Well, I've been exposed to mass media. Is that okay? Oh you did your research. I've seen mystery signs, theater shorts on truck farming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got me beat on that one. Okay.
Speaker 2: But I'm good with staying with daylight saving time. I really am year round. If they kill it and get rid of it, will probably be just stay time year round. And there's some states like Arizona they're just standard time year round.
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't want it. I would want daylight saving time.
Speaker 2: That would be preferable for me if I had a vote in this, which I don't.
Speaker 1: If I had a vote. I don't care about you or your life.
Speaker 3: There's also scientific research that shows that waking up early is detrimental to people's health. And I'm not making that up just because I'm lazy. No, it's like it's a shock to the system. Yeah, no, I know that.
Speaker 2: And I've argue that point with my wife because she is a morning person, and she would try to tell me, Hey, you just haven't had the right job.
Speaker 1: If you had the.
Speaker 2: Job, you'll eventually become a morning person. No, I won't that will never become a morning person.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 2: My first radio job was Jim Rome and his show was on from nine am to noon. We had to be in the office between six thirty and seven am with a commute before that. All right, no, no, no, I will never be a morning person.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't last a week.
Speaker 3: No. Being the morning person sucks.
Speaker 2: And you have to get up before dawn every morning, every morning, and it's not cool. It's really really not cool at all. What is a typical morning for you?
Speaker 3: I have all the fifty eleven alarms that have to keep me up. I have my six am alarm, then I have a six fifteen, a six thirty, a six forty five or seven and seven fifteen and so forth. And each of these fifteen minute increments is just in case I stopped for a minute and sit down and doze off. So it's constantly keep me going because I gotta get up, got to make sure my daughter's get ready. I got to make sure that my son is not giving me. Yeah, I'm up. And then twenty minutes later I go in and he's still head under the cover. That's a lot, but that's only after leaving here like two of the morning.
Speaker 2: You couldn't pay me to do Bill Handle's show. You could not pay me. There's not enough money. You never had to fill in for him. Oh I have many times, Yeah, many times. And it was absolute hell. Because I'm getting up at three point thirty four. I'm getting on the road by four fifteen. I don't mess around. I don't have a snooze alarm or anything like that. When my alarm goes off, it's a conversation. I have my clock. My clock has already told me it's time to get up. You cannot sleep anymore. You don't have any snooze get up. When the alarm goes off, it's time to move I usually, like I'm my own parent, I put my clothes out for the next morning the night before, because when I'm waking up in the morning, I can't find anything.
Speaker 1: I can't think straight.
Speaker 2: So I need everything ready the night before and twalla, like if I'm going to do an interview with something, I'm always preparing the night before.
Speaker 3: Can't can't do it the day of. This is why all my clothes look the same. I don't want to deal with that, right right, people don't know this.
Speaker 2: I'm usually wearing gray or black or whatever because it's just easier that way, it's easier. But anyhow, I put my clothes out the night before when I'm doing like bill handles or anything real early in the morning. If I'm doing bill handle, I have to leave the house by I want to say, four or fifteen the previous day. Yeah, it's like four or fifteen in the morning.
Speaker 1: I try.
Speaker 2: It's going to be like thirty minutes or so to get to KFI four forty five because I try to be there before wake up call starts because there whoever it was Jennifer Jones leave in the past, she may want me to talk with her during to give the segment what have you. Then you have the show which starts at six am. And I'm a person I don't like getting to the station like a half hour before I.
Speaker 1: Go on the air. I can't do that.
Speaker 2: I am not mentally or emotionally ready to do a show thirty minutes after walking in the door. I can't do it. I usually get here at least three hours before the show. And I'm not saying that as a boast. I'm just saying that prepares me and relaxes me to do a show. So Bill handle whenever I would fill in for him, Oh it was hell. It was absolute hell on me. And then I go home. Let's say I get home at ten or eleven am.
Speaker 1: I got to take a nap. I can't. I can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Oh, those those wake up call shifts are murder. I sat in with Jennifer Jones Lee once and I thought, I'm gonna think my way around this problem and to stay up all night. I was almost hallucinating. I can't.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is really difficult to wake up in the middle of the night. I can't go to sleep before midnight anyway. So the whole idea of going to sleep at eight pm, to get a decent night's sleep before getting up at three am.
Speaker 1: Is just not possible.
Speaker 3: You should never have to do that if you're not churning butter, milking cows and helping to raise a barn with your with your friends and overalls.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, I lived in part of the city even now where I have neighbors in the neighboring communities which have roosters, and they they will go off at any time of the day because of this street lights that throws off their natural rhythm as far as when the dawn is so it's really hard sometimes to get to sleep in my neighborhood. Open season on roosters look between them and the coyotes. We got problems, huh, we got misunderstandings. It's later with moo Kelly KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and I gotta let you know this real quick. Angel City FC kicks off their twenty twenty five season Sunday, March sixteenth at home against rival San Diego Wave. Every fan in attendance will receive a souvenir flag and schedule magnet get tickets before they sell out on angelcity dot com and stream all games in HD on the iHeartRadio app keyword angel City FC.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: And you can also find us on YouTube and Spotify, Apple Podcasts. Wherever you find your favorite podcasts, you can find us as well. Oh and twat just let you know, we got like thirty new Spotify listeners last night, you know, fow yes, So if you like Spotify, you can listen to the show there as well. Yes, got like twenty to thirty YouTube subscribers this week as well, So people are finding us just from other non conventional ways where you may not think of listening to podcasts.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, just wait until we kick off that next thing that we're working on. Oh we can't tell them, yeah, but yeah, no, yeah, it's going to be fun. Let me tell you about this luxury resort in northern San Diego County. It recently began banning guests under the age of eighteen from staying overnight. In other words, no kids allowed and kids that could be seventeen on down. And this is called the Alila Marea beach resort and it's an Encinnitas. And the question here is whether you can make a hotel adult only.
Speaker 2: There's a question of whether it violates California civil rights laws that ensure equal access to businesses and public accommodations.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the question.
Speaker 2: Here's the question, because I know private establishments, it's yeah, you can have adults only established you have adults only cruises. They are all sorts of events which said you're not going to have kids. But since it's a beach, everyone should have access. That's the question. And I don't know because the resort is not the beach. Men of that is the resort is the private business itself.
Speaker 1: The beach, I guess is public to a certain degree.
Speaker 2: I mean, do you have a civil right as a miner to stay in all establishments.
Speaker 3: So the resort as it's built, the property of the hotel, all the grounds, that's the private business. But once it gets out into the sand, that's public.
Speaker 1: Beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the question. And that we had a similar issue with Malibu. People who were residents did not want people who didn't live in the area from using the beach or accessing the beach.
Speaker 1: And if I remember it correctly. Mark.
Speaker 2: You may remember did you cover the story where the Malibu residents were trying to keep out people who didn't live there from surfing, and there was a question of whether they should have legal access to the beach itself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's been so long that I don't recall the particulars of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember. This is something which is not new in and of itself. I'll look it up. But the question is where does the property line of the resort begin and end. If it's only a function of having access to the beach area, that's one thing. But this, as I read it has to do with staying at the resort, which to me is a no brainer. I mean, there are all sorts of businesses that you know, just say just for adults only. I use example of cruise ships. That's a private party if you will, that you're paying. It's basically a resort on the water that you're paying to stay at.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I don't know what the difference is.
Speaker 3: The argument against that doesn't make sense if only for the fact that we have things called bars and bars are twenty one and only why because you have to be twenty one and over in California to drink. This is seemingly a no brainer. If it's a private establishment, they've bought the land, they put the hotel and all the amenities on it. It's their property. Yeah, you can keep people from coming.
Speaker 1: And there's an other precedent.
Speaker 2: I mean, the policy is not unique among short term accommodations. Even in San Diego County, countless hostels have age restrictions in place, as well as other major resorts like Vista Health SPA hotel and two major casino resorts, which goes back to your point about bars. You know, casinos are no different in that regard, but there's still a question of whether it's legal. California has broad protections against quote unquote discrimination by businesses under nineteen fifty nine law called the UNRA Civil Rights Act, and the law prevents enterprises from implementing policies that arbitrarily deny equal access to their services based on a person's characteristics like race or sex.
Speaker 1: But this is not characteristics.
Speaker 2: There are age limitations and all sorts of business establishments. Yeah, that isn't new. Age is not, as of yet at least a protected group.
Speaker 3: No, because there's what I remember Once upon a time when the Arc Light existed, they did not allow babies into their movie theme. It's no different. It's saying we prefer a clientele that is of a certain age. They say nothing about race, they say nothing about gender, they say nothing about how anyone identifies, none of that. It is simply you must be over the age of twenty one, no matter how you're coming personally.
Speaker 1: I like establishments that don't allow kids. But that's just me. No, no, no, no, that's just me.
Speaker 3: You're far from Alona now, oh no, no, no, no, no no. I want to book a spot here because I'm all about this.
Speaker 1: I'm all about it.
Speaker 2: Wait, what resort is this? Where is this a Litla Maria Beach Resort. Yes, we're all our way live broadcast. We love you, thank you for what you're doing. No, no, rugrats, whoa damn right, can't fight a six forty. We're live everywhere the I Heart Radio app k S.
Speaker 3: I'm k ost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County
Speaker 4: Lives everywhere on the young Heart Radio app