Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you Escape from.
Speaker 3: Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: You are one hundred miles from your own lines, waiting for the enemy who will lead you to your destination. While the danger to you and your men becomes more acute. If you are discovered, the only road of escape will be dath.
Speaker 3: So listen now as Escape brings you The Thirteenth Truck, based on the story of Captain Douglas M.
Speaker 4: Smith.
Speaker 5: Some of the men called it a joy ride. Two days before we left headquarters at cabrit Egypt, Sickletobrook sneaked across into Nazi Hell Territory destination, a Nazi airfield one hundred miles behind enemy lines. A joy ride. The next twenty four hours could turn our army truck into a hearse. Just six of us in that truck Sergeant Heley, a corporal, re enlisted men, Hutchins, Swambling and Guffy, and myself, Captain Paul Brown, US Army I was the only American in the group. The others drafted from Montgomery a f army. As a unit, we were called desert Commandos. Our business sabotage. He deserts, he does it. Sergeant didn't see it, Captain, Sorry, sir, break an axelent. We're in big trouble.
Speaker 6: Listen to it. I think they were on a bloom and joy ride. You would, uh, Captain?
Speaker 4: What I was thinking?
Speaker 7: The man been wondering what they're in for this trip.
Speaker 5: Well, i'll hear about it tonight when we stop.
Speaker 8: That'll make him feel brighter. If a man's gonna die, it makes him feel better if he knows why.
Speaker 6: Cappy Brown I'm playing. I'm playing where.
Speaker 5: I'll pick him up the glass maser Schmidt can't tell me. Get too far, Pull up, Sergeant, I will have those rocks.
Speaker 9: Hurry, get the truck covered, man and try not to raise any dusts.
Speaker 6: What did yet?
Speaker 4: Captain?
Speaker 5: Nah, Hutchins said to the east, don't hear it?
Speaker 4: Hoped it with that couple heads got it. It's a plane, all right.
Speaker 5: I can't tell what kind it's kind this way and.
Speaker 6: They made this time with rock.
Speaker 4: Make him at it's a master smid on a truck man, Massa Schmidt, Come on, let's go, Sergeant.
Speaker 6: Keep it quiet.
Speaker 10: Nets and don't move, yeah, coming in. Yeah, if there came a large nettle pulling, that's what it's for.
Speaker 4: We had duck from a ready pond. If it doesn't pose.
Speaker 5: Moving back there, he said that knock you ductions.
Speaker 11: But the heads falling around and he has said stop right over an air we're sitting on it, big red heads.
Speaker 5: Captain, Well, don't move and whatever you do, don't touch that net.
Speaker 4: Shut or corporal.
Speaker 5: They're all over the place, captain and he's stickling back, giving away. Maybe don't hear him, sir, we'll out check. Okay, Jerry's gone. Come on now what I'll get that net loaded and let's get moving. We can put in another fifty miles before dark.
Speaker 4: This right, I guess we'll be in driving right in the Rummel's front yard.
Speaker 5: Sergeant Healey scratched in an ant under his shirt and then turned and hustled the man into the truck and we were on our way again. No singing now. The corporal stared across the desert from his side of the truck. Hutchins kept his eyes up where the messagement's roamed. The rest just scraped away at the layers of dust and sweat, Staring at each other. They covered twenty miles thirty zig zagging deeper into Nazi territory. Just before dark, we parked in some low lying hills above the Coast Highway, Rommel's main artery of communication and supply to the front lines. It was time to tell the men what they were in for.
Speaker 6: Settle down legs, Captain Brown of the.
Speaker 5: Wood ah Kesha wondering where we are. We're right here, Yeah, long me right down Jerry's throat. That it's just about intelligence reports say the Germans have established a hidden the airfield somewhere in this right here, just off the coast Highway.
Speaker 4: How do I know that?
Speaker 5: Our Nazi supply trucks have been spotted leaving the coast Highway taking a camel trail up into the hills right here, and they're supplying something up their headquarters is certain that's a hidden airfield.
Speaker 12: Oh, that explains all them fighter planes in the forward area. You're right well then, as I see it. So where to find that hidden airfields? Find a corporal and destroy it destroyed?
Speaker 5: So aw go in and dynamite. Where do we get the dynamite?
Speaker 7: We've got it, Corporal, You've been sitting on it for the last couple of days. Do you mean them boxes in the track dynamite?
Speaker 4: Hey, just a six ye that are.
Speaker 11: Going to blow up this airfield by ourselves.
Speaker 5: That's a job hut keeps getting all the what that swombly naphing Sarge?
Speaker 4: Captain say, we find the field? How do we get close enough to use the dynamite?
Speaker 5: Close won't do? Sergeant? You mean we're going right into the ruddy placer. That's right, Corporal, That's where we can do the most damage.
Speaker 7: One more questions it how do we get inside the airfield?
Speaker 4: We drive in, drive in. I could just see them.
Speaker 7: Not is letting us drive into their airfield with a truckload of explosives.
Speaker 5: So as it's dark, we move on to that next hill up ahead. From there, we watch that camera road that comes up from the Coast Highway. We'll rest up there all day tomorrow. Then tomorrow night, after dark, we'll leave a sentinel at the top of the hills. That'll be you Hutchins get Then we'll move the truck down and park at a sharp curve within twenty hours of the camel road and wait wait for what, sir, for you to spot a German supply convoy and its way up to the Camel Road. You're to wait and count exactly the number of trucks in the convoy and the distance separating room. Yes, and when you've got that information you come back and report. Then we wait until the Jerry convoy comes around the curve. We let all but the last truck pass by, and before this last truck comes in sight around the curve, we'll cut into the road and fall in line. You'll get the picture now of corporal. Yes, sir, only why aren't we falling at the end of the commons?
Speaker 6: Oh, come off it.
Speaker 8: Jerry's in the last truck gets suspicious when another truck comes up behind him.
Speaker 5: Unpaid to fight, not to think so?
Speaker 7: All right, corp then, but once you'll have a chance to earn your pay.
Speaker 5: After dark we moved onto the hill overlooking a long stretch of the Camel Road, a short distance from the sharp curve. We broke over the dynamite and attached time mechanisms. We finished preparations just before daylight, and the men covered the truck with a camouflage net and turned in for some sleep. With the sun it got hot under the net, then hotter plus the flies. And the flies reminded me of a of another place on a hillside in Ohio, sandwiches, potato salad, and a girl, dark eyes, dark hair, laughing and pushing me away. I had forgotten a name. I wanted to kiss her, but she was worried about the flies on the potato salad. What was her name? Jane, no Elaine, Eileen, And she let me kiss her lips? Cool, nice. We forgot about potato salad and the flies, blasted flies. Oh, what's the matter, sergeant getting dark? Sir ah, Yeah, there's time you slept since we left Cabritza.
Speaker 4: You needed it. Yeah, you were streaming.
Speaker 5: Yeah, your wife sirs. No, just a lady friend, Just something that happened a long time ago.
Speaker 7: I remember a bit of strawberry jam in Naples. It was she tended bar in one of them places you can never find when you go back. She never meant nothing to me. Funny thing I'd try to remember. Her name never comes to me.
Speaker 5: Oh, this heat, dripping wet. I guess we better get the man out. In a few minutes, the men were up on the truck with packs of dynamite on their backs. We left Hutchins on the hill to watch for the approaching convoy and moved down and park twenty yards from the sharp curve on the camel road. Now we waited two hours, passed, three four, No sign of the German truck convoy.
Speaker 7: What do we do if no convoy comes through tonight, sir?
Speaker 5: Try again tomorrow night? Oh five hours Still waiting, I began to think of the things that could go wrong.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: I considered the possibility that Hutchins might have fallen asleep up on the hill. There were patrols scouting the area. What if one of them discovered us. Could be a run for our lives. Then we needed darkness to get at that airfield, and there was only a few hours of it left. Still we waited no convoy. I was about to send the corporal to relieve Hutchins when he came scrambling down the hill. Captain, Gerry convoy twelve trucks, twelve you're positive, Hutchins and positives. I carry them three times, twelve trucks about one hundred yards apart, averaging thirty morein how good climb aboard Hutchins. I'm your tars Man. I can't each truck as it passes, we move in behind the eleventh truck.
Speaker 4: I just thought of something, all right, what are they going to think of?
Speaker 8: They count thirteen trucks when we reached the airfield, when they were only twelve trucks to begin with.
Speaker 5: We'll figure that one out when we get to it.
Speaker 6: If they can't captain first Jerry trucks coming around.
Speaker 3: A bench, we will return to Escape in just a moment. But first, CBS Radio wishes to call your attention to a new five a week daytime show on many of these same stations under the expert guidance of Jack Sterling. This new show asks members of the panel to make up your mind or for problems with the psychological Twist. The first week's guest list on make Up your Mind included Ilka Chase, Wendy Berry, Deams, Taylor, Earl Wilson, and Vic Marcillo, former manager of Jersey Joe Walcott.
Speaker 4: And now back to Escape.
Speaker 5: The first truck of the Nazi convoy roared around the curve and passed thirty seconds later another one. All we could see was two pinpoints of dim light coming at us, A dark shadow as it passed, and a tiny red light at the back of the truck. Three four rucks, then a command car. Now what if a number eleven or twelve were command cars? They'd stop to investigate the sudden appearance of a truck at the end of the convoy. Well, we'd take a chance. Truck number seven, eight, nine, two more start arrangine, Sergeant, Yes, here comes number ten. We pull out behind the next truck, Sergeant, and no headlights toil. We're in mind, right, sir. Here it comes eleven.
Speaker 4: Let's go. If you're in line, now you're lights on?
Speaker 6: Can't number curve just came around the curve and I'll gift the.
Speaker 5: Yards back a little pastor, Sergeant, come much twelve, he's dropping back now, good only that's number thirteen. Back there, corporal, where number twelve? Now, I'll keep your eyes peeled for that airfield. They'll have to do something about the extra truck in this convoy before we get there. In the meantime, sit tight and enjoy the ride. What did you say, swombly, Nothing? Nothing at all?
Speaker 4: Side All right, settle back, boys and enjoy the ride.
Speaker 11: Enjoy the blooming ride. Who them Jerry's in front of behind us. I'll enjoy the ready side more on the return trip. I can tell you trouble with you, Etchens you're a stinking pessimist. So if you're ready, well right, if we're all blown to blazes.
Speaker 5: The following half hour was uneventful. We moved along, keeping our place in line, watching the other trucks, watching for the airfield, seeing nothing but a small red dot ahead, two gray dots behind. Then the corporal noticed something about those two gray lights behind us. They grew larger, came closer.
Speaker 6: Captain, the rear truck is moving up on us. I think they want us to stop. What for? I know what do we do?
Speaker 5: Sir?
Speaker 4: Pull up right?
Speaker 5: The corporal Germans better than mine. You do the talking. The rest of you keep your knives handy. Nope, guns. There might be sentries along the road, game and I bang home. They want to match boys, have one.
Speaker 6: In my point if it cost a roof keeper.
Speaker 5: Okay, Uh, what's up to? Corporal gave him his letter that Jerry says it's a French one.
Speaker 6: I keep going.
Speaker 5: It's okay. He covered says they got a lot of French. Major. I mean, oh clear, go to work, Corporal, Okay, let's go. You've got to catch up with a convoy before they come back looking for you.
Speaker 7: Yes, and if we don't spot that airfield pretty soon, I'm gonna have conniptions.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 5: We caught up and took our place again. We were about to reach the Nazi airfield soon, so I gave the men their final instructions. There was still one truck too many in the convoy that had to be taken care of. Then we topped a height and spoted the cluster of pinpoint lights up ahead. This had to be the hidden Nazi airfield. I gave the sergeant the order to swerve the truck across the road, blocking it. I had a couple of years circle around behind them as they reach us. Hurry there they come fasting you there, motor trouble corporal.
Speaker 6: The motor is to salmon block and camerade.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, they comes only two.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that does it? Okay, transfer everything to the Jerry truck. Fast a Twamley. You take our truck and hide it and that wady off the road.
Speaker 4: Stay with it.
Speaker 5: We'll rally back here no more than fifteen minutes from aunt and you got that man and Twamley. This is an order. Wait here for fifteen minutes, then start back to the base, even if you have to go back alone.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir.
Speaker 5: Just as we caught up with a Jerry convoy, the truck ahead pulled through the front gate. Two guards leisurely watched each truck as it passed stund a spotlight. We moved up slowly in our proper position. We reached the gate. The guards didn't know then we were through the gate and inside. We'd made it. The other trucks parked about one hundred yards further on. We pulled up at the end of the line and we got out, stalling as much as possible. The light over the front gate went on. The other drivers were gone. Now it was quiet and come on quiet, okay, okay, I'll hold it here. We'll split up now, Corporate, you and Guffy take that side of the field. Look for planes, Hutchins, you work on those buildings along there. Sergeant, we'll take the side of the field and the hangars. I'll make sure you'll plant that dynamite where will do the most good good luck. Come on, sergeant, they're the bunker. Captain in here, Captain, look, yeah, three planes, bull fighters.
Speaker 7: It must be at least half a dozen bunkers along this side of the field with planes in all of them.
Speaker 5: We've hit the jackpot, Captain. Yeah, you start at the other end, sergeant, work your way back. Meet you here in three minutes. Right there, I found three bunkers, planes in each of them, a squad structure with a sign out front actung explosives. I put two loads under that one, then a warehouse, a bulldozer, trucks, cars, and three barracks buildings. From somewhere in the pitch blow, I could hear voices laughing and talking, and I was back at the first bunker, and the sergeant moved out of the dark.
Speaker 2: He was smiling, lanes and all them bunkers.
Speaker 4: Then I got a fuel reservoir. While I was editor.
Speaker 5: Good, let's get out of here.
Speaker 4: We've been spotted.
Speaker 5: The sergeant cut the guard down before he could pull a rifle off his shoulder. Spotlights went on everywhere. Other guards came running. Then a door opened behind us. Excited figures rushed out and stopped dead in their tracks when they saw us. We stood there, face to face with a half a dozen surprise Nazi officers. The sergeant whipped his machine gun around, and they dropped one after another right at our feet, all but one. He stumbled forward, right into the sergeant's arms. The sergeant held him as a shield with one arm and went quite on firing the other.
Speaker 4: Wait for the main game, sergeant, right for that.
Speaker 5: We moved through patches of darkness and smoke, dragging the Nazi officer with us. The guards were firing and wild, confusion and down. A strange thing happened as we moved under the light at the main gate. The Jerry's quit firing at us. They were all around us, but out of sight, silent watching us. We made a perfect target, but not a shot was fired. I couldn't figure it out.
Speaker 4: I don't get it, Captain, What are they waiting for?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Maybe it's that Jerry officer you've got there him.
Speaker 7: You don't look important, better fatigues, no rank, insignia, nothing but that campaign metal.
Speaker 5: Hang out to him, just the same.
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 7: Hello, the main gates closed.
Speaker 4: It's locked. Yeah, how are we going to get out?
Speaker 5: Look? There was a staff car park just fifteen yards away. We moved to it, wondering how long it would be before the guards made up their minds to start shooting again. The sergeant got in the back with the Nazi officer and I started the car and headed right for the gate, and then we were thrown.
Speaker 6: Let's get a wro his bloody place. I'm exposing.
Speaker 4: This is going off any second now. See if any of them pull out after us. I don't think so.
Speaker 5: Not kid hell the water. He should be up around that bend in the road. I wonder how many of the men made it back.
Speaker 4: You'll soon find out, hi, say, she goes.
Speaker 5: The sky turned white and red as the shockwave crashed against us. The car swirred from side to side, shells through the Amadut screamed in at us from every direction, tearing the landscape open everywhere. I could hardly hold a car on the road and movie. Finally, the road curved around a hill, offering some protection from the bob.
Speaker 4: Barker of the explosions. God did we do all? That's? Looks like it that was meant for you. Fritz, Hey, come back at you. What's wrong?
Speaker 6: He's I'm gone hold it?
Speaker 4: No, he got away. Well, I'm going off for how it's till dark.
Speaker 5: Never find him now, anyway, lost? We found them in waiting at the Waddy. They piled into the Nazi staff car and there were six of us again, yep, all six. Operation completed and we didn't lose a man. We still had a long, hazardous drive back to our lines, but it was different now it was going home. Hy drove and Sergeant sat next to me. He was brooding about the Nazi officer. Cheer up, Sergeant, maybe you can get yourself another on the next raid.
Speaker 4: I suppose.
Speaker 8: Well, anyhow, I got a souvenir part of his jackie too. Ever see a Jerry medal like that before, Captain, I haven't.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, that's what's the medica? Holy? What's the meta? You got this off that officer? Yes, sir, do you know what it iss?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: It's the Hitler knights Cross Hitler knights Cross. Yes, the furious personal medal that there's only three that he's ever given out. Oh, sir three, Garying got one one for von Runstedtt.
Speaker 4: What about the other?
Speaker 5: Rommel Take your pick, Sergeant, which one of them did we have?
Speaker 3: Under the direction of Anthony Ellis, Escape has brought you The Thirteenth Truck, adapted by Gus Bays from the story of Captain Douglas M. Smith, as told to Cecil Carnes, starring High ever Back as Captain Brown, with Richard Peel as the Sergeant. Featured in the cast were Alistair Duncan, Charlie lung, Alec Harpord, and Jack Krushian. The special music for Escape was composed and conducted by Leeth Stephens.
Speaker 13: Next week, you are the subject of an experiment, an experiment to make you the most powerful man on earth, while if it succeeds, from that moment on, you will be forever locked in a world from which there can be no escape.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when Escape will bring you Irving Rhese's extraordinary story The Man from Tomorrow, A sensational trial of old San Francisco in eighteen seventy, will be your Crime for Classic on CBS Radio tomorrow evening. The title The Incredible Trial of Laura D.
Speaker 4: Fair.
Speaker 3: It's a long title, but whether you have a shorter or long memory, don't miss this exciting story of missus Fair's incredible trial, dramatized by CBS Radio on Crime Classics tomorrow evening over most of these same stations. This is Roy Rowan speaking, and remember there's action as a policeman really finds it in twenty first Precinct Tuesdays on the CBS Radio network.