Speaker 1: We're gonna bring in Kyle Van Noy coming up in about fifteen minutes. We're down here in support of his charity, down here in sport of his foundation. So Kyle's gonna call in where the Black Desert Resorts. Our next guest knows a thing or two about the Black Desert Resort. I guy Richard Smith on a Monday, Smitty, Happy Monday, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you Stancio? The guy I would know would get down there the Black Desert and get right on the first tee. I love it. I love it, man.
Speaker 3: It was great. It was a great day. It was about eighty five degrees.
Speaker 1: And if it's eighty five degrees in June and Saint George, you're doing something right. So Smitty, let's get into it because we're gonna have to cut this one short.
Speaker 3: We're certainly gonna.
Speaker 1: Have you back this week and you're gonna be part of our draft coverage on both Wednesday and Thursday night. So we have an NBA champ. It's the Oklahoma City Thunder. What are your reactions to Game seven and what this means for both the interim and the future of Oklahoma City.
Speaker 2: Well, it was well learned by them. You know, they played, they were the best team all year long, and they played well during the playoffs. Obviously they had a couple of Game seven they had to get through, but that tested their medal as a very young team, and uh, you know, you have to give them all the all the credit, you know. I thought Sam Preston was interesting in post game remarks last night on on the on the days there they were giving out the trophy that you know, I could tell them in the in in some of his comments just indirectly that you know, they're not I wouldn't take surprise, but they're they're they're they're pleasantly shocked at the growth that they've had and the season they had came together the way it did. And then of course fortune plays a good part in it. And also maybe the biggest thing is they had they had pretty good health all year long and throughout the playoffs, and and I think they're there are surprises anybody that their unit came together just quickly over a couple of years, uh, and that they were able to push through some tough times during the playoffs and and achieve the ultimate goal. And that's, uh, that's great for them, great young team that works hard and and it's great to see a team that really values defense be able to put that on the front burner and and utilize that to be able to get them to the to the championship trophy. So so kudos to Sam and all of this group forgetting that done.
Speaker 3: So excuse me, Smitty.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of media members, a lot of people that cover the league, whether it's TV, radio.
Speaker 3: Podcast writing.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, we're pontificating on the possibilities of what this means moving forward for the landscape of the West and the and the landscape of the NBA. But you worked in the front office for the Utah Jazz for four decades, so you can kind of help us.
Speaker 3: Understand exactly what it looks like. Uh.
Speaker 1: As far as how they kind of keep this thing ticking, what could get in the way?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: The new collective bargaining Agreement kind of UH, by design is trying to stand in the way of dynasties. But if you just look at their books, they have all of these players together for at least two years. It's going to look like this for at least two years, barring something completely unforeseen. So how sustainable is this as far as what Sam has built and you think they're gonna be challenges they could get in their way sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: Well, they had such a great season, and a lot of it spensus because they were young, they were excited for each other. They were having this kind of success that they hadn't had as a group before, and so everybody was on the same boat, going in the same direction. And they they played that up a lot whenever they were on national TV having the postgame interview of one player, and the whole team would come out and be part of it, and they were trying to show everybody we're all one and where we support each other and all that which is great. And that's the old lah Rah College field, which is what they had as a team. But as happens in any any league of professional sports, at some point, money will get in the way, and also egos will will will challenge to get in the way, and that's going to be one of the things that they'll have as a group to have to look at and try and figure out as they go forward, is who is really in this for the benefit of the group, Understanding that as the group does better, I individually do better or are you going to get a scenario where some guys' heads start getting a little bit bigger than they deserve to be and they start feeling that they're you know, to use the phrase bigger than the program, and they start feeling their oats a little bit. That's going to be the challenge, because it's it's all fun and games now because you're one and you're young, and it wasn't really expected, you know, a year ago or two years ago, and you got here quicker than you expected. Now, can you keep up that same level of enthusiasm? Can you keep up the same level of energy, especially defensively as a team where you're counting on each other. And then of course the guys who are going to be up for extensions and guys who are going to be up for raises, you know, then that's going to play into it because at some point Oklahoma City is going to have to make decisions between A and B and unless they want to go into that first or second apron, which we see teams like Phoenix and teams like Boston are in the Golden state right now, where those teams you know, fell short. Obviously in the case of Phoenix didn't even make the playoffs, but they're paying so much money in the luxury packs and punitive penalties that it just doesn't make it sustainable. So those are the issues that an Oklahoma City team is going to be facing. But one of the things they have in their back pocket that a lot of teams don't is that they, if they're press super been very smart this point, and they back line a lot of upcoming draft picks in future years that they can either use to go get another Jalen Williams or find another guy, you know, another a guard or a guy that wants to play defense in the back court through the draft, and they can kind of hedge their bets that way and bring in a new guy every year to mix in with their group. That's gonna be interesting to see the thing, to see how they manage all of those opportunities that are going to be in front of them.
Speaker 1: So on the other side, Smittye, you know the cruelty that oftentimes sports manifests.
Speaker 3: It feels like a gut punch.
Speaker 1: And I'm certainly no Indiana Pacer fan, but man, did I feel bad seeing Tyree Saliburton go down and we all knew what it was because we all discussed the Durant parallels or other parallels. We've got Tatum, We've got Dame Lillard, we have all these caf strains to turn into Achilles, and again not a doctor. It just feels like maybe we need to look at this a little closer, letting these guys play when they're so compromised. So two part question, what did you make of this great run from those Indiana Pacers? And you know your thoughts on the Halliburton injury. It's just super gunning, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you flicked back to several years ago, you know the drama that was around Donovan Mitchell with the Jazz and when the playoffs started several years ago, when when the Jazz medical group held him out of Game one against Memphis because they didn't think he was ready. All their testing showed that, and he wanted to play, and there was a lot of internal discussion, debate arguing whatever, however you want to couch it about, you know, him going out there and the Jazz you know, trying to basically say to him, look, why do you think we would have you stay out of a playoff game when we need you in the playoffs unless we thought it could potentially hurt you, and he wasn't buying it at the time, and and that that led to some of the discord that was behind the scenes. I think that led to the ultimate decision to trade him, or at least his feelings about the Jazz going forward in that regard. But that was that was a real thing that the Jazz are trying to protect him from himself. Now you look at what happened to Kevin Durant several years ago the Golden State and the argument about whether he should have been on the court then or not when he when he got hurt in the in the playoffs, or now this thing with Haliburton, whether you should be playing or not. Of course you're you're sitting in the locker room and you're with your medical staff fence and at the game seven of the NBA Finals, and you're looking at each other, and I can guarantee the player is going, what are you guys even talking about? This is what we do all year long, but this one night, this game, you know, I'm not sitting now, I'm going out and I'm doing whatever I can and we just lay it out there and we see what happened, and the ball went the wrong way for them, and this happened, and now it's going to affect them next year certainly, and you don't know how it's going to be going forward after that. But how about Halliburton A. Lillard paid them all in the East major players for their teams all go out with the same injury. It's devastating and it really looks you have to start looking at things, you know, like the workload and what you do in the off season conditioning and are guys just playing too much? Do they not give them enough rest? And I'm not talking about during the season, I'm talking about in the off season when they have workout regimens and all those kinds of things that really have to you know, the people have to start looking deeper into how those things really affect players and a law term basis.
Speaker 3: All right, it's Mandy.
Speaker 1: Since you and I last spoke, you know, we all discussed the potential of Phoenix doing something because it felt like they had to, and they did, and they sent Kevin Durant to the Houston Rockets in exchange for Jalen Green, Dylan Brooks the number ten pick this year and five second rounders, just both sides. Your thoughts on this transaction. What does it mean for Houston, what does it mean for the Phoenix Suns.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's something that both sides felt like was going to benefit them. Look, Phoenix that had Kevin Durant. He had a terrific year. He's an all start obviously in a future Hall of Famer, but they didn't even get in the playoffs with him performing that way, so that part doesn't matter to Phoenix. They felt they had to move him for the for the salary number, for the for the financial constraints that they had backed themselves into with the new owner signing off on all that stuff, and it didn't matter to them whether they got these players who might help them, whether it's Green or Brooks or the tenth pick, or if it's just two second rounders they got. They had to do something with Durant, and they did it, so they got something back. Whether you want to argue they got enough. Of course they didn't get the value because Kevin Durant is a very special player, but you had to do something with his money, and you weren't winning with him, so it doesn't matter. So you get him out of there, you get him off the books. You're bringing these other guys give you a little bit of flexibility financially. More going forward, I give you a look at Brooks and whether the Green can develop into a nice young player that remains to be seen. Then of course you got the tenth pick to use, and the second round pick probably don't mean much of anything. They looked good on paper, but unless unless they happen to strike on someone in the second round going forward. But for Houston, they thought, this is an opportunity. We've got a nice team, a good team that competed this year, had a tough first round series. We've got a superstar like Kevin Durant. If he comes in with the right attitude and the right approach and sees this as a chance to have some success before he bows out of the NBA at the end of his career, then they're willing to take that shot. So both teams had their own reasons for doing it, And you know, Phoenix's is more the long play. Houston's is more the short play to see if they can do something the next couple of years when Durant's still at a peak level. So you know, for both teams. I think it's a natural move.
Speaker 1: All right, Smitty, before I set you loose, we're gonna be joined by Kyle van Nor here at the moment, just a thought on five, Smitty will be part of our Draft night coverage.
Speaker 3: I'll anchor the show. It's going to be Smitty and the Great Gordy Chiasis.
Speaker 1: So stay tuned for that Thursday or excum me Wednesday starting at six, and then Thursday, Smithie and I will be kind of rolling solo without Gordy for the second round. But as we sit here today on this Monday afternoon at four sixteen Mountain time, have you landed on the prospect? You think that JAS should look at the most at number five.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a several different guys, several different ways they can go Spence. Whether you want shooting, whether you want agile, big guy like a kid from Duke, Whether you want someone who's an all around athlete and there's a defensive guy like Edgecombe, you know, or you want a long wing who can score and do some things for you as a multi positional player in the kid Bailey from Rutgers. So they got a lot of different ways to look at it. Some of it will be dictated, obviously by the teams in front of them, unless they try and move up that they really like someone, but they have the worst defense in the league the last couple of years. So for me, you know, someone like Edgecombe who's a really a hard nosed defender and an active guy on the fall, you know, that's the kind of guy that you can start with because he's also supposedly a terrific young guy off the floor, and maybe he turns into one of your Donovan Mitchell type leaders as he gets into his career in terms of his athletic ability, his ability to play both ends of the floor, and maybe he brings some leadership quality to a team that really really needs some in my opinion. So it'll be interesting to see what direction they go in. Come come Wednesday, I'll.
Speaker 1: Sneak in one more while we're waiting to connect with Kyle Smithy. You know, as far as the potential of moving on from veteran players, you know, I don't think it would surprise anybody Fostin Ainge decided to clean house a little bit. I just wondered the dynamic of Austin coming in a guy who didn't make the Mitchell trade, a guy who didn't make the go Bear trade, a guy who didn't acquire Walker, a guy who didn't acquire Lowry, a guy who didn't draft Kiance or Isaiah or I could keep going, the guy that had zero say in any of the transactions so far. What sort of dynamic does that create as far as the direction they could take concerning their decision making process.
Speaker 2: Well, the interesting thing, Spence is going to be that, you know, with austen As coming in, you know, Ryan Smith and the ownership group of the Jazz and made a bold move in my opinion, of bringing in a new main voice, the leader, the decision maker of your group three weeks before the draft. And so these guys for the Jazz, the scouts, the personnel guys who have been out scouting these guys all year long, literally all around the world. And there are a lot of international players who will come into the mix as well. All of those guys have been working in tandem with each other all year long and had a certain direction, in a certain vibe, a certain tenor to what they were trying to figure out what to do come this moment, and then they bring a new guy into the room, and he's not only a new voice within the group, but he's the decision maker. And so now you got everybody in the room who hasn't worked with him before, obviously other than his dad, Danny Ainge and all those other people are going to be trying to figure out, you know, how do we maneuver this, how do we do this that makes sense for the organization. And you know, so there could be some jump start stops kind of thing where where people aren't sure you know, what the decisions are that are going on or how they're being made, and you know, but you're exactly right. Austin Angel isn't married to anybody on this roster. The roster is is flawed in a lot of ways, and they had the worst record in the league. They were one of the worst defensive teams the last couple of years, so there's nothing to protect. He really is coming in with the idea that whatever I can do, in my opinion, to get this thing going in the right direction, I'm going to do it, Which means everybody's in play in terms of players, and all the draft picks are in play in terms of moving up, moving back, moving out, depending on what I can get done, and so that's going to be interesting to see how he sees it and how he goes forward with his decision making process as we.
Speaker 1: Continue to wait for Kyle Smidy. If you're okay with it, I'll continue to ask your question so he can just keep the conversation going and as soon as he's on the line, we'll see if we can just kind of transition over. But let me ask you about Fears, the Jeremiah Fears kid, because there's reporting that the Jazz have worked him out multiple times, They've interviewed him multiple times. In Jonathan Cavoni, the ESPN's draft analyst, has him.
Speaker 3: At five to the Jazz. Now, you know, there's a lot to like.
Speaker 1: Certainly, there's also the you know, the element where he is six' two and The jazz needs size badly on the. PERIMETER i, Mean keyante And isaiah neither are big enough to guard some of the bigger wings in pro. Basketball, so, uh, again only because there's reporting around, it your thoughts on the potential of The jazz landing On Jeremiah years at, Five, well if they if.
Speaker 2: They're looking at him and they think that he's a good enough. Playmaker with the ball in his. Hands he can. Create you can get out of picking, rolls you can get in the, lane you can create some things to happen that way like you did In. Oklahoma. Uh you, know then then that's a good place to look. At you, know they have to they have a lot of holes they have to. Fill you, know certainly that position is. One, uh but they have to they have to really be comfortable and confident that he's the kind of. Guy you, know this. Group you not only need a player in my, opinion who has a certain skill level and a certain that they could bring to your, group BUT i believe you need to get someone to add to the group who has some kind of a leadership quality and. Ability and if they've interviewed him more than once and the visit with them and talk to people that can always do behind the hut, scenes and they've made the determination that he can be a leader type group Like, halliburton who's shown, up you, know TO, tv one of those guys Or Guildess, alexander the kind of guy who maybe wasn't seen that way when they came out of college and they were a little question marks about those guys and how they could do. That but once they got their footing under them and, stuff we see what kind OF nba players they can. Be if they determined that he has that kind of leadership quality and approach to his, business you, know THEN i can see them making that kind of a decision if they think that's going to help the growth of their team going.
Speaker 1: FORWARD i know you like The watch, Kids, SMITTY i wonder you, know ultimately to your, point and we've talked about, this AND i agree with, you they need.
Speaker 3: Everything there's nothing they don't.
Speaker 1: Need BUT i suppose there's a world that if they're going to ride with marketing And, kessler you could, Say, okay well maybe they've got a front.
Speaker 3: Court that they like and you don't really need to add to.
Speaker 1: IT i guess if you Like, malawatch you think he's the best player at, five you take him at. Five but because they Have, kessler do you think that dissuades them from looking At malawatch at?
Speaker 2: FIVE i, Could but you, know Against BET's one of the things that comes into play all the. Time the people don't talk. Enough and we just mentioned a minute ago with the okayc situation going, forward is that The jazz will be making some decisions also based on finances and based on what makes sense money. WISE i Like kessler AND, i you, KNOW i think those two guys really you play well. Together they they make a good, tandem you. Know but the money you're going to be paying, them you, know going, forward and and what the production is you get your team the bottom, Line sometimes you have to weigh those things and, say, well maybe we just do a restart and if we get someone like the kid From duke AND, i you, know he's a long way, away you, know Like rudy was when he first came. Out BUT i just like some of his instincts and some of his mobility and his. Energy he plays with for a long. Guy you, know if he could develop into something like, that then you're getting a guy on a much cheaper contract than what you're probably going to end up paying For, kessler you, know to do what he does the next several, years if and when you decide to give him an, extension so with him and, marketing those could be two rather significant numbers on your. Payroll if you're still in a developing stage with your team and you're really don't expect you're going to be able to compete in The Western conference the next several. Years, anyway then then there's a scenario where you discussed maybe we just restarted again and we Move, kessler and we bring in someone like like a kid From duke to take that spot at a much cheaper, number and you do something with marketing and get off that number and bring in somebody, else and and and you retool it that way and save your money for when that really makes sense for guys that can really make a difference in in your group going. Forward but those are tough decisions to. Make but those are all the things that the guys are weighing behind the scenes that they need to try to figure. Out And Austin ange will bring a different perspective of, that especially coming from The boston scenario where where he got out the back door from having to deal help deal with THE uh close to five hundred million dollar salary and taxes and, penalties the same eltics you're looking at next.
Speaker 1: Year BEFORE i say you LOSE, SIMITTI i have more of a general question for, you just to have you help us understand what things like a really good young team In Oklahoma city means for decision making of a team like The Utah jazz or you, know really good opportunities For San antonio to grow pretty. Quickly and of Course dallas now with the number one overall, pick because as you AND i discussed, before when you guys were building up The mitchell Go bear teams With quinn as the head, coach WHEN i would analyze the roster construct and WHEN i would analyze the, TEAM i would do it through the prism Of, okay who is in.
Speaker 3: Their prime right? Now and how? Long and Tell steph Isn't? Steph how long Until lebron is A?
Speaker 1: Lebron and when that time, comes Will, Donovan, Rudy mike boyon that? Group will they be able to capitalize on that? Window and now it just feels like with all the youth And Oklahoma, city all the draft capital In San, Antonio Victor, Wemban i'm A cooper, flag the climb to the top of the mountain for The jazz does not feel like it's any time within the next, honestly five, six seven. YEARS i know that sounds, dire but how do those dynamics color the perspective of decision making AN nba front?
Speaker 3: Offices BEFORE i say you.
Speaker 2: Loose, yeah well you have to, again especially you have to factor in the things that you can, control which is like coming up On wednesday And thursday the. Draft how did they handle the? Draft who are the guys they? Evaluate how did they get those? Players you, know OK, c for, example pick number eight a few years ago and they settle On Jalen williams and that that was a big win for. Them they got that one. Right, Okay The jazz last year had the number ten pick and they Picked Jalen williams, Brother Cody, williams who you, know in his first year was a NON nba, player and you can even argue that he was hardly A G league. Player so you, know the jury will still be out on. That that's going to take several years to figure that. Out i'm not sure he is AN nba. GUY i don't think he has the skill level and just the mindset that his brother has to play. Defensively but we'll, see you, know maybe he maturns into. That but those are the decisions you have to. Make and then you have to have things like happened To dallas last month in the draft, lottery where you're not expecting, it but you get something falls in your lap and you get the ability to draft supposedly A Cooper flag and add him to your. Group The jazz have to have something like that or something that just happened With houston to get a team that wants to get rid Of Kevin durant and you get in on that kind of a sweet stake and add somebody like. That so all of those things spent are the things that you're looking at to build while you're looking at all the tough teams in The west that you're still can eating. Against one of those things you can, control which is the draft and how you develop those. Players but the other things you can't. Control something happening that falls in your, lap or another team that's trying to make a move of some sort that you can benefit. From those are the things that you know there's not a timing on that it might happen next, year it might happen two years from, now it may never happen because of the time and. Circumstances and so The jazz by dismantling the team several years ago and trying to go this route or finding out how difficult it is to build a team and how difficult it is to. Compete And i'm in agreement with. YOU i think it's going to be a long road for them and it's going to be very. Tough but they have to have some things fall their way and and good fortune happened to, them which so far has not. Occurred and so there you.
Speaker 1: Go all, Right, Smithy, WELL i appreciate the. Time we'll get you in studio this week for our hour long hit and then excited to spend some time with you covering the Draft wednesday And.
Speaker 3: Thursday thank, you my, friend be safe with chat, soon all.
Speaker 2: Right, man look forward to, It Thanks.
Speaker 3: Bud all, Right Richard. Smith we are live today at The Black Desert.
Speaker 1: Resort we're in the clubhouse adjacent to the golf course and right next to the. Resort it's the resort is. Open if you haven't had a chance to check it, out it's really. Nice they've got a lot of work to do to kind of clean up around the, edges but the, resort the, pool the, spa it's all. Open the golf course is in such great. Shape and we're here for the Van Ney charity golf. Tournament you can visit Van neivalorfoundation dot org to donate to a good. Cause they are helping foster, children adopted, children disadvantage youth to find pathways to.
Speaker 3: Success kyle and his wife put on
Speaker 1: A great events So Vandy Valor foundation dot org is where you find him