Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive. Imagine your digital network is like a really complex fault Okay, now, picture new cracks forming every single day, often places you'd least expect, and there are unknown eyes constantly probing for weaknesses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a constant battleground out.
Speaker 1: There, exactly. So today we're taking a deep dive into the critical world of network performance and security. Our mission, we want to pull out the most crucial, the most actionable insights from Chris Chapman's really foundational book Network Performance and Security, Testing and analyzing using open source and low cost tools.
Speaker 2: It's a great source packed with practical.
Speaker 1: Stuff, it really is. And this isn't just about theory, right. Our goal is to give you a practical roadmap. Think of it as a shortcut to understanding how to spot vulnerabilities, actually harden your infrastructure and even test its resilience.
Speaker 2: Now without getting totally overwhelmed by all the technical details.
Speaker 1: Precisely, we'll uncover some surprising facts and really practical steps that are directly relevant to you listening right now, because, let's face it, in a world that depends entirely on digital connections, your quality of experience, your productivity, even your data is safety. It all hinges on a network that secure and performs well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, whether you're prepping for a big meeting, trying to stay current, or just curious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you fit any of those, this deep dive is definitely for you. Okay, So let's unpack this core truth. The sources really highlight our networks. They're under continuous assault, and not just from outside attackers, but often from within what we mistakenly call a trusted zone.
Speaker 2: That internal threat is often underestimated totally.
Speaker 1: And what's really unsettling is this idea of the unknown unknown. So those devices, those configurations we don't even realize are on our.
Speaker 2: Network lurking there, which brings up a critical point. What happens when those attacks or maybe just poor performance actually impacts you. We're all used to what the book calls the web dial tone expectation.
Speaker 1: Right, the idea that it's just always there, always on, predictable.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and when you hit a four h four error where things are just slow, it's not just annoying, it directly impacts productivity. Chapman points out if authentication takes more than four seconds, or a web page more than seven seconds.
Speaker 1: To load, people just leave, They click away.
Speaker 2: Most users just abort. Think about that loss of efficiency. Even voice quality like on a VOYIP call has a benchmark, the MOS score. You really want that at four point two or higher. Anything less feels off.
Speaker 1: Okay, and here's where it's really interesting for me, this whole concept of trust in security. Ah Chatman makes this really powerful statement. He says trust is a non controllable, non measurable assumption that someone will always do the right thing. He basically calls it soft security.
Speaker 2: It's intangible, isn't it. You can't configure trust exactly.
Speaker 1: And then there's this alarming statistic he includes sixty percent of employees who are fired have been found to steal data.
Speaker 2: Wow, sixty percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, relying purely on trust, it's just fundamentally incompatible with a robust security policy. So for you listening, you expect your network to work flawlessly. Sure, but understanding these vulnerabilities, these well unrealistic expectations about trust, that's crucial for being proactive about your own digital safety day to day.
Speaker 2: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: So, Okay, if trust is bad for security, then visibility must be good. Right.
Speaker 2: Visibility is everything, It's the foundation So the.
Speaker 1: First absolutely critical step is getting organized with a thorough network audit. Our source really drives home this point. What you think is on your.
Speaker 2: Network can be worlds apart from what's actually there, right.
Speaker 1: And it only takes one undocumented, maybe unpatched device, that old PC in the lab everyone forgot about, or a private server someone stuck under a.
Speaker 2: Desk, uh huh, the classic shadow it.
Speaker 1: Exactly, that becomes the perfect beachhead for malware or bot nets. And then you're looking at a massive, expensive cleanup job.
Speaker 2: And the real insight you get from doing this exhaustive audit, it isn't just knowing what you have, it's realizing how much which you didn't know you had.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to put it, turning those unknown unknowns into.
Speaker 2: Nones precisely, that's your first real line of defense and the scope of this audit, while it's pretty comprehensive, you need to document basically every single device that touches your network.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down. What kind of devices?
Speaker 2: Well, first host assets, think fixed PCs, laptops, tablets, smartphones. You need the basics, make model, but also IP address and massy address, the OS version, all the installed.
Speaker 1: Software approved and unapproved.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, you need to know what's actually running and even who owns the device. Then you've got mobile assets. These are trickier because they come and go.
Speaker 1: You have laptops phones, right, The.
Speaker 2: Book suggests something pretty clever placing asset tags inside the battery case for laptops harder to remove. Helps with tracking.
Speaker 1: That's smart, Okay? What else?
Speaker 2: Virtualized servers they add another layer You need more than just standard server stuff. Think VM profiles, snapshot states, the data stores they're attached to, and the whole network functions of virtu ualization chain. That's NFV where network services run in software right up to the physical network card.
Speaker 1: So really deep visibility into the virtual layer.
Speaker 2: Two, you have to tools like HWI, NFO or just built in system info commands are key here and don't forget hypervisor admin accounts critical to document those.
Speaker 1: Got it? What about the network gear itself?
Speaker 2: Yep, network element objects, switches, routers again, make model adamin credentials, port types like is it one gig or ten gig? And what connects? Where you're basically drawing a living network map and you need to version control the configurations so you track every single change.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, like source control for your network.
Speaker 2: Configure kind of Yeah. And finally, and this is often overlooked information assets your data house. So most places have really weak rules about where data is stored. Chatman stresses classifying info maybe level ABC, with strict policies for each like level A data your most sensitive stuff. It can cannot be stored on a local PC, never in a public cloud, not accessible from the Internet period.
Speaker 1: That's really strict, but necessary if you're serious about protecting it.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, that is a ton of information to gather and manage. How do you keep track of it all? Yeah, you definitely need a system. The book points towards needing a network management system in NMS. It actually recommends spice works is a good open source option.
Speaker 1: Spie works. Okay, is setting that up complicated?
Speaker 2: It needs to be done strategically. You need a dedicated server for it, pretty high end and definitely isolated, probably a modern Windows server machine.
Speaker 1: And you put that somewhere super secure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely in a very secure zone. But here's the counterintuitive part. You don't typically install firewall software directly on the NMS server itself.
Speaker 1: Really, why not?
Speaker 2: You want to minimize its own attack surface. Instead, you carefully open specific pinholes point security policies on your internal firewalls to let the NMS scan the network segments it needs to.
Speaker 1: So the protection is on the surrounding firewalls, letting the NMS do its job exactly.
Speaker 2: It needs tools like windp cap and a MIP installed two for standing. But the big takeaway from the audit process is this knowing what you have is the absolute fundamental layer of defense.
Speaker 1: Without it, you're just You're.
Speaker 2: Fighting blind and just one forgotten device can bring the whole thing down.
Speaker 1: Okay, so audit complete, you have this incredibly detailed picture of your network. What's next?
Speaker 2: Right now? You lock it down, harden the infrastructure itself. And this means really moving beyond that old simplistic trusted versus untrusted mindset.
Speaker 1: You mean treating everything is potentially untrusted pretty much.
Speaker 2: It's about internal segmentation, breaking your network into smaller, more defensible zones, even internally.
Speaker 1: So how does that look in practice?
Speaker 2: Well, it applies everywhere from the edge right to the core. For core network hardening, the rule is simple but powerful. If you don't absolutely need a service or protocol running, turn it off.
Speaker 1: Get rid of the unnecessary stuff.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Disable things like telnet old routing protocols like RIP if you're not using them. Unencrypted HTTP management interfaces just reduce the attack surface.
Speaker 1: What about managing the devices?
Speaker 2: Always always encrypt management sessions use SSH, configure it robustly, set session timeouts, limit log in attempts. Basic hygiene, but critical and logging.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that earlier.
Speaker 2: Critical logging is huge for incident response for forensics, but it's not just about having logs. They need to be time correlated across all devices.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you can piece together what happened when precisely.
Speaker 2: That means you need a dedicated, accurate NTP time source like a gpscinc server and a centralized cyslog server. Both of those need to be in a secure core zone themselves.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about protecting against fake traffic spoofing?
Speaker 2: Good question. Anti spoofing protection is vital, especially at the edge, but also useful internally things like unicast reverse path forwarding or URFP.
Speaker 1: What does that do?
Speaker 2: It basically checks if the source IP address on an incoming packet is actually reachable via the interface it arrived on. Helps block packets with forged source ips. And IP source guard, which uses DHCP snooping data to build dynamic access lists, binding ips to mday's and ports. Even just enabling basic port security on switches helps catch MAC spoofing attempts.
Speaker 1: So multiple layers there. Now, what about performance? People always complain about slowness.
Speaker 2: Right, optimizing performance with QoS quality of service. Often just throwing more bandwidth at a problem isn't the fix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, upgrades don't always help.
Speaker 2: Instead, classifier traffic, put services into buckets, network abmin, business critical, business standard, best effort, whatever makes sense for you. Then use QoS like diffserve markings at layer three to tell the network what's important. So even if some malware or a botnet starts hogging bandwidth.
Speaker 1: The network knows to prioritize the critical stuff exactly.
Speaker 2: Your important applications stay responsive.
Speaker 1: What about wide area networks connections between sites WAN security?
Speaker 2: This is a big one. We tend to think of our WAN links as inside and trusted.
Speaker 1: Because they connect our offices. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's a dangerous assumption. The book is clear, treat your WAN as its own untrusted security zone.
Speaker 1: Okay, so encrypt everything.
Speaker 2: Strong encryption is non negotiable. Think AES two five six with robust hashing like SA five twelve using X point five zero nine certificates. Often this means dedicated hardware encryption boxes between sites.
Speaker 1: Right. How about wi fi?
Speaker 2: Always a headache organizational Wi Fi best practice? Think DMZ for wireless, set up two ssas one for internal trusted, use strong password, mixed case number symbols, and don't broadcast the sad name it it YEP, and then a separate guest network. It's okay to broadcast that one, but all guest traffic must be tunneled directly out to your Internet security zone, no access to the internal network, and make them accept terms. Maybe use two step authentication if possible for guests.
Speaker 1: Okay, separating those makes a lot of sense. What about the main Internet connection itself?
Speaker 2: Your external firewall and Internet connection. This is where you need serious hardware. The book recommends high end firewalls, the kind based on A six or.
Speaker 1: FPGA's dedicated hardware for speed, right.
Speaker 2: Because they need to do deep packet inspection and handle lots of connections without slowing down. They let you do really granular control too, like maybe allow Skype chat but block Skype file transfers.
Speaker 1: Ah control within the application itself.
Speaker 2: Yes, and use firewalls between your internal zones too to sandbox risk. For remote users, IPsec VPN is generally preferred over SSLVPN, using per user authentication and certificates and all that remote traffic needs to be inspected by the firewalls, intrusion prevention and dedoss engines.
Speaker 1: One last thing you mentioned, yeah printers really?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, locking down printers. People forget them, but they're basically network connected computers with their own vulnerabilities. Interfaces, different protocols.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what do you do?
Speaker 2: Treat them seriously? Enable HTTPS only for the web management interface, Use strong passwords that you actually rotate. Restrict SMMP access so only your NMS can talk to it. Disabled telnet if it's somehow still enabled. Use secure printing protocols like IPP over TLS.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Okay. The big picture here is definitely layers.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is a truly secure infrastructure is defense in depth. Every device, every protocol, every potential path for traffic needs scrutiny and being aggressive about disabling services you don't need. That drastically shrinks the area attackers can target right.
Speaker 1: Less surface area means fewer potential holes.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift focus a bit. Let's talk about the endpoint, the client computer. For many of us, that's a Windows machine, and the sources are really clear on this. The client is often a major point of attack, maybe even the weakest link in the whole chain.
Speaker 2: It frequently is. Unfortunately, it's where the user interacts directly, clicks on things.
Speaker 1: So hardening that client is crucial. What are the key steps.
Speaker 2: It's fundamentally about minimizing that attack surface and maximizing the built in protections. First off, software control big one. Users should never have administrator or even power user rights.
Speaker 1: Full stop, standard user accounts only. Yes.
Speaker 2: Instead, you use things like software restriction policies pushed out via group policy, maybe with w MII filtering for targeting. You basically whitelist only the approved applications that are allowed to run.
Speaker 1: So users literally can install random stuff they.
Speaker 2: Download exactly, no accidentally installing infected executables or those annoying browser toolbars that come bundled with things. Next, User account control UAC.
Speaker 1: That pop up everyone loves to hate.
Speaker 2: That's the one. Turn it up to its highest setting. Yes, it can be annoying, but it adds a really crucial layer prompting for authorization before software installs or system changes. It stops a lot of automated malware in its tracks.
Speaker 1: Okay, makes sense. What about the networking side of Windows itself?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hardening Windows networking disable unnecessary stuff. If you're not using IPv six internally, turn it off on the clients. Same for things like IGMP or Universal Plug and Play UPMP is notoriously problematic for security.
Speaker 1: How do you check what's running?
Speaker 2: You want to minimize listening ports, run netstat ab and en in the command prompt that shows you which executables are listening on which ports. If you see something listening that you don't recognize, our need, investigate and remove it.
Speaker 1: Good tip. What about other Windows services?
Speaker 2: Right? Disabling unnecessary services? Windows comes with a lot of services running by default. There are great resources online, like the black Viper blog mentioned in the source that list services and whether they're typically safe to disable. Think about things like IP helper, offline files, parental controls if it's corporate machine, fax service, home group listeners, Bluetooth support if you don't use bluetooth, proper roles. If you don't need it, disable it again. Reducing the attack surfaces.
Speaker 1: Okay, browsers are obviously huge, too.
Speaker 2: Huge browser heartening. Ideally standardize the organization on one browser. The source recommends Chrome because it removed the old insecure NPPI plugin system, but whatever you choose, the absolute crucial thing is enable automatic updates, always be patched always. Then configure the settings tightly, for ie, set the internet zone to high, enable protected mode, smart screen, ActiveX filtering, tracking protection, turn off third party browser extensions unless explicitly.
Speaker 1: Approved, and for Chrome or Firefox.
Speaker 2: Similar principles. Configure privacy settings, aggressively block third party cookies, enable fishing and malware protections, and do not track requests. And a big one, never allow the browser to save passwords. Convenience versus security. Security wins here.
Speaker 1: Good point. What about Java still a thing?
Speaker 2: Still a thing, still needs attention Java security. Keep it updated, but only from the official Java dot com site. Make sure only the latest version is installed, uninstall old ones in the Java control panel, set the security level too high or very high, and be very strict about adding exceptions to the security prompts. Only allow internal trusted applications if absolutely necessary.
Speaker 1: Okay, so these are all really concrete steps someone listening can take, maybe even check on their own machine.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's about transforming that potential weak link into a much more robust part of the overall network defense.
Speaker 1: All right, so we've audited, we've hardened the infrastructure, we've hardened the client. Feels like we've built a pretty solid fortress.
Speaker 2: It's a good start, But how do you know it's solid? How do you know the defenses actually work against real world techniques?
Speaker 1: Ah? Right? Testing? This is where penetration testing comes.
Speaker 2: In, exactly, penetration testing and deep traffic analysis. Because the attackers, they're sophisticated, they use multi stage attacks. They might be after data, trying industrial espionage, even engaging in cyber warfare. You have to test your defenses against those kinds of threats.
Speaker 1: So you need to think like an attacker to defend.
Speaker 2: Against themsolutely do understand our techniques. The book mentions things like knock down attacks, finding backdoors, multi step multi host attacks to spread bots, reconnaissance to gather info, scanning for open ports, gaining access, maybe creating hidden admin accounts, maintaining that access, and then covering their tracks, deleting logs.
Speaker 1: So how do you test against that well.
Speaker 2: The testing philosophy is key. Security audits aren't a one and done thing. They're perishable. They need to be done regularly. The source suggests monthly, which is pretty frequent, but definitely trigger one after any major network change or when a big new vulnerability is announced. And critically, never assume the internal network is safe. Test from the inside too. Threats can absolutely originate internally.
Speaker 1: Okay, what tools do you use for this? The book mentions Colie Linux.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Colilinux is sort of the Swiss army knife for this. It's a Linux distribution packed with security and penetration testing tools. One of the most powerful tools within it is.
Speaker 1: Metasploy metasploit heard of it? What does it do?
Speaker 2: It's an open source framework. It contains a huge database of known exports. You can search for exploits targeting specific software like Windows versions or applications like mysequel. You set your target, configure any options the exploit needs, and then you type exploit and.
Speaker 1: It tries to break in ethically of.
Speaker 2: Course, ethically yes, It launches the attack, and if it's successful, metasploit can deliver a payload. Often that's the.
Speaker 1: Mitipriter shell and that sounds bad.
Speaker 2: It is. The book calls it the keys to the Kingdom. It gives the tester or an attacker deep control over the compromise machine. They can run commands, browse files, even enable keyloggers to capture passwords or turn on remote desktop.
Speaker 1: Okay, scary stuff. So how do you protect against that kind of penetration attack?
Speaker 2: Protecting your assets requires that layered defense we talked about. For instance, use different vendors for your IDSPS systems, maybe one at the main internet edge, another vendor's product protecting the data center zone. Diversity helps catch things one might miss. Configure firewall rules with really strict pinholes. Only allow the specific protocols and ports needed for applications to work, drop and log everything else, especially unauthorized outbound traffic that can be a sign of compromise.
Speaker 1: What about on the switches?
Speaker 2: Use access control lists ecls on your distribution layer switches. Enforce your intended traffic flows. For example, make a rule that application servers are only allowed to talk to database servers on the specific ports they need and nowhere else. On Linux servers, use iptuples or NF tables.
Speaker 1: Firewalls, so controlling traffic flow internally.
Speaker 2: Is key, hugely important. But there's another piece understanding valid traffic. You need a baseline.
Speaker 1: What does normal look like?
Speaker 2: Exactly? You can't spot an attack if you don't know what normal traffic patterns are for your network. Document the expected protocols, source the destination IPS port numbers for your applications. So if suddenly your internal only application server tries to connect to a random IP address on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Using httcs, that's a huge red flag.
Speaker 2: Massive red flag. That baseline is critical context.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do you get that baseline? How do you see the traffic?
Speaker 2: Tools like wireshark, it's a fantastic free packet sniffer. Use it to capture traffic at strategic points near the core, at zone boundaries.
Speaker 1: And just look at packets flying by.
Speaker 2: You can, but it's more powerful than that. You can create capture filters to only grab specific traffic, like not net ten point one point zero two four to see traffic leaving your local subnet, and then use display filters to analyze the captured data. For example, that materpreter shell we mentioned it might use a specific suspicious user agent string in its web traffic. You can filter for that or look for custom HTTP headers maybe you've implemented internally as a sort of secret handshake to validate legitimate internal web traffic.
Speaker 1: Interesting can it find malware?
Speaker 2: It can help. You can do raw HGX searches with in packet data for known malware signatures. It also has GeoIP mapping, so you can see geographically where traffic is going to or coming from.
Speaker 1: Powerful toolout automated detection.
Speaker 2: That's where Snort comes in. It's a leading open source IDs SIS intrusion detection and prevention system. It analyzes traffic in real time against a set of rules, looking for patterns of attack like what kind of patterns, DDAs attempts, buffer overflows, port scans specific malware communication patterns. Chapman even details how to build a high performance appliance specifically for Snort, using fast CPUs, lots of RAM, and high speed Intel nies because deep packet inspection takes serious horsepower at high speeds. Where do you deploy Snort Definitely at your Internet edge, but also crucially between your internal security zones. You can figure it with your network layout home that external in its configuration file snort dot CoV it can log alerts to syslog or even a database.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there anything that ties these tools together?
Speaker 2: Yes, Security Onion it's a fantastic Linux distribution specifically designed for security monitoring. It integrates tools like s Nortai and other IDs called brow zeke log analysis tools, and visualization front ends like Snorby, so it's like an analytics platform exactly. It typically build a Security Onion sensor with powerful hardware, lots of storage for packet capture, strong CPUs, You can figure management and monitoring interfaces, enable the IDs engines. Bro is great for extracting files transferred over the network for a later analysis. Snorbe gives you a nice web interface to see alerts categorized by severity sensor protocol. You can set up email alerts for critical events, and another tool often used with it, Skullgill, lets you monitor events in real time and even reconstructs sessions, like seeing the commands and attacker tried during an FTP session.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's like looking over their shoulder pretty much.
Speaker 2: It's powerful for understanding exactly what happened or is happening. So yeah, this whole section really shows how sophisticated attacks are, but also how you can use these powerful tools, many of them open source to proactively test, detect, and offend.
Speaker 1: It's a whole different level of visibility in defense, it really is. Okay, so we've covered security pretty intensely, but the book title also mentions performance. How do we tackle that? How do we ensure that smooth, reliable quality of experience for users?
Speaker 2: Right? Because security is crucial, but if the network is unusable, that's a problem too. It's not just about raw speed like bandwidth numbers, It's about how it feels the.
Speaker 1: Quality of experience or QoE exactly.
Speaker 2: And testing this properly involves avoiding false positives. Vendor spec sheets like those RFC two five four four numbers they quote. They might not reflect your real world performance under your specific traffic conditions, So.
Speaker 1: Lab numbers aren't real world.
Speaker 2: Numbers, often not. Chapman has a great line test to the worst case and measure the best result. You need to generate traffic that actually emulates your network's behavior.
Speaker 1: How do you generate that test traffic?
Speaker 2: Austinato is a great open source tool for this. It's a multi stream traffic generator. It lets you build custom packets layer by layer, MME, IP, TCPUDP, headers. You can set different frame sizes from tiny sixty four byte ones up to jumbo frames, control the rate precisely. You can even strip it with Python for complex scenarios, so.
Speaker 1: You can mimic different kinds of application traffic precisely.
Speaker 2: And for just measuring raw throughput, jitter and packet loss between two points, IPERF three is the standard tool. You run it in server mode on one machine, client mode on another, and it tells you the actual TCP or UDP performance between them. Simple but essential.
Speaker 1: What about testing over distance like a whan, The experience there is often very different.
Speaker 2: Ah, Yes, you need wine emulation. You can't just test on your fast local land and assume it'll be the same for remote users. Tools like WAYNM, which is also open source, let you artificially introduce latency, jitter, packet loss, bandwidth constraints to simulate wine conditions.
Speaker 1: How do you know what values to simulate?
Speaker 2: The book gives some rules of thumb for latency. Figure about one millisecond for every one hundred kilometers of fiber distance. Then maybe multiply by one point three to account for real world paths equipment delays. For Internet VPNs, It suggests testing with maybe a worst case three percent packet loss to see how applications cope.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you simulate the bad conditions, then what then you need?
Speaker 2: Clear QoE benchmarks for web applications. Define what good means for you. For example, is a web page loading in under half a second good? Maybe over sixty seconds is poor. Define thresholds also track errors, distinguished between direct service errors like a four oh four where you might tolerate zero, and subtle errors maybe a graphical glitch where you might tolerate one per one thousand views.
Speaker 1: Having objective measures yes.
Speaker 2: So when users complain you have something to compare against. And when debugging QE issues you need a systematic approach.
Speaker 1: Where do you start?
Speaker 2: Talk to the user first, what did they expect? What actually happened? How often is it random, periodic? Is it an obvious error or just slow? Then check for recent network changes. Is the problem isolated to them or is it widespread? If it's isolated, start at their PC, new software installed, run a malware scan, check their TCP stack settings using netsch in TCP show global, look at CPU and RAM usage, check browser plugins or settings. Work outwards from the user.
Speaker 1: Logical troubleshooting process exactly.
Speaker 2: So this performance side is about having the right tools to simulate, measure and benchmark so you can sure the network isn't just secure but actually delivers that good quality of experience.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. Now, One of the really empowering things in Chapman's book is this idea that you don't always have to buy expensive proprietary boxes. He makes a strong case for building your own network elements using open source.
Speaker 2: He really does, and there are compelling reasons. Potentially better costs per megabit, using your budget, more efficiently and honestly often greater control and even security because you know exactly what's running.
Speaker 1: But can open source software on standard hardware really keep up these days?
Speaker 2: Yes, with modern multi core CPUs, fast RAM, and especially smart network interface cards and ices like the Intel ones mentioned by seven to ten, for four by five, five twenty for ten G plus open source driver technologies like DPTK or PFRNG, you can achieve line rate packet forwarding without needing specialized A six at least for many use cases.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what kind of elements can you build?
Speaker 2: He mentions a router, YEP, A router using something like VOS. It's Linux based, comes as an installable image or a virtual machine. It supports enterprise routing protocols like OSPF and BGP and has basic firewall capabilities. Too great for edge routing or internal segmentation. What about a switch, openb switch or OVS. It's a powerful open source virtual switch. You can create bridges, add physical or virtual ports, do vland tagging. It's heavily used in data centers, cloud environments for those NF chains we talked about, or as part of software defined networking with open flow.
Speaker 1: Okay load balancer. Those are usually expensive.
Speaker 2: You can build one. Zen looad Balancer ZLB is mentioned as an open source option. It gives you a virtual IP, a VIP that sits in front of a pool of back end servers. It can distribute to traffic using different methods like round robin or based on server load. Absolutely critical for high availability and maintenance.
Speaker 1: DHCP server seems basic but necessary, easy to do with open source.
Speaker 2: The book suggests the standard ic DHCP server on a Buntu Linux simple configuration file to define your IP address scopes, default router, DNS servers, then lock it down with basic firewall rules allowing UDP ports to sixty seven and sixty eight.
Speaker 1: And finally a web server stack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for a standard web server setup, something like turnkey lampy is great. It's a pre integrated virtual appliance with Linux, Apache, Myseql and PHP already set up. It includes webmen for easy web based administration, making configuration even setting up SSL much simpler.
Speaker 1: So really, a whole range of core network functions can be built cost effectively with open source.
Speaker 2: Absolutely it opens up a lot of possibilities, giving you powerful secure solutions, often without the vendor lock in or high price tags.
Speaker 1: Okay, one final area. Let's say you're not building it yourself, you're evaluating a commercial product your service. How how do you make sure the vendor is actually delivering on security, not just giving you marketing fluff.
Speaker 2: Excellent question. You need to ask tough specific questions in your kindness request for proposal RFP or evaluation process like what well, first protocol stack verification? Don't just accept their claims. Demand a list of every single protocol stack their device uses internally, and crucially, ask for a fuzzing test.
Speaker 1: Report for each one. Fuzzing What's that?
Speaker 2: Fuzzing is an automated testing technique where you throw invalid, unexpected or random data at an input, in this case the protocol stat to see if it crashes or behaves unexpectedly. It's great for finding vulnerabilities like buffer overflows that attackers love to exploit. If they haven't fuzzed their stacks, that's a red flag.
Speaker 1: Okay, good one.
Speaker 2: What else malware mitigation ask about their anti malware capabilities if it's relevant to the product get reports. Ask how often their signature databases are updated, and importantly, ask about both poll schedules, how often the device checks for updates and push schedules how quickly they push out emergency updates for zero day threats.
Speaker 1: Understanding the update cadence makes sense.
Speaker 2: And maybe the most critical one. Mixed class attacks and services testing this is key. Don't just ask how it performs normally or how it blocks attacks in isolation. Ask them to provide test data showing valid application traffic performance with no attacks running, and then the same valid traffic performance while the device is simultaneously under attack or undergoing a security audit stand.
Speaker 1: Ah, so how does it perform under pressure exactly?
Speaker 2: You want to know were all the attacks actually blocked and crucially, how much did your legitimate traffic performance degrade while the device was busy fighting off the attack. Ideally, the answer should be all attacks blocked, zero degradation to valid traffic.
Speaker 1: That seems like a high bar it is.
Speaker 2: But that's what you should be aiming for and asking vendors to demonstrate. These aren't just casual questions. They're critical inquiries you need to make to ensure any new gear or code actually meets your securities standards and doesn't become your next vulnerability.
Speaker 1: That's really practical advice for evaluating vendors. Well, just like that, we've covered a huge amount of ground. We've journeyed through this really intricate landscape of network performance and security. We went from understanding those subtle impacts of just a slow web page load all the way to the pre sophisticated tactics of penetration testers. We've dug into the vital importance of audits, learned about hardening infrastructure and clients, and even saw the power of open source tools for building and testing.
Speaker 2: It really touches on the whole life cycle.
Speaker 1: It does, and hopefully for you listening, you now have a deeper understanding of those unknown unknowns we started with, and maybe a more practical toolkit to identify, analyze, and mitigate threats on your own networks.
Speaker 2: These aren't just abstract ideas, they're actionable insights exactly.
Speaker 1: This is stuff you can use to build a genuinely resilient network. So, as you reflect on this deep dis here's a final thought to leave you with, What unrecognized device, what forgotten policy? What unaudited private server lurking in your environment might just be the beachhead for the next attack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where's your hidden vulnerability?
Speaker 1: And maybe more importantly, how will you use some of the knowledge from today to find it before an attacker does start that audit? Maybe re evaluate where your trust boundaries really are, and just keep exploring. Because its continuous battle for network security, it's one where knowledge truly is power.