Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Karen and I would like to thank all the listeners who are supporting us at Patreon or have provided reviews on iTunes. If you'd like to join in on that support, check us out at monster talk dot org forarde slash support, or at patreon dot com forward slash monster Talk. Thank you so much for your help in producing this show. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant, hairy creature in part ape part mat in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 1: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster. Monstertal.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith. Darren's away this week, but we'll be back soon. Recently, my social media feed blew up with links to a story about a biology research project looking to Lockness and the legend of NeSSI with the technology of environmental DNA. I was somewhat concerned as I saw numerous responses from my friends online saying NeSSI isn't real, why bother and other things along those lines, clearly missing the point of the actual study. If these well intentioned folks had bothered to repass the headlines that have seen that the actual study was actually quite interesting. Yes, the news story headlines were about NeSSI, but the underlying science was about using DNA research to assess the various species living in multiple Scottish lakes. Imagine that using monsters to promote science research. Well, you can see why it's right at my alley. So I reached out to the lead researcher, Professor Neil Gimmel, and he was kind enough to conduct a muster Talk interview on very short notice. Not only that, but this interview took place while he was on the shores of Loch Ness. He turned his camera to the window at one point and showed me the still waters outside as we talked. Alas, our connection was so poor that I didn't keep our video going, and honestly, the quality of his side of the call got pretty bad at some points. But I believe after editing all but one of our exchanges turned out to be understandable. For that one, you'll hear me interrupt the conversation in post production to explain what he said. Other than that one spot, though, I think we got a good enough recording.
Speaker 4: That should all make sense.
Speaker 2: My apologies for the quality where it drops, but keep in mind that we're using a free technology that allows us to conduct real time video conferences across the ocean, such that I could be lurking in my basement in Georgia here in Munster Talk Central, while he's in his cabin on the shores of loch Ness. I wish we didn't have quality issues with the audio, but Professor Gimmel is certainly worth listening to, and I hope you find our DISCUSSI as interesting as I did. Oh and here's another little bit of monster Talk trivia. Doctor Gimmele got the idea for doing his e DNA research of the Locke while reading Darren n Aish's book Hunting Monster. A link to Darren's book, which is now available in paperback. We'll be in the show notes at monster talk dot org. Monster So Professor Neil Gimmel is the ag Research Chair and Reproduction in genomics at the University of Otago. He's been in the forefront of media coverage surrounding a collaborative project to use environmental DNA to look at species president in Lockness, home of the famous legendary Locke monster NeSSI. So welcome to Monster Talk, Neil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like you, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Thank you for making time for us. I know you've got a busy schedule right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a bit crazy, and We've been at Lockneis two days ago, so I'll actually know yesterday, so I'm even losing track of talk.
Speaker 2: I imagine. So it's interesting. So I saw several stories, you know, rolling around on my social media. Because we cover monsters and cryptozoology and science, everybody was sending me this. But what surprised me was a lot of my friends on social media are very much pro science people, but they seemed, honestly to be a little concerned about the use of NeSSI in a science project. I don't think they were actually reading the article, because the article sounded wonderful to me. I always think using monsters to promote science and advance those kind of ideas is a really great project. But can you tell us a little bit about the study and what the purpose of it is beyond what the headlines are telling us.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, sure, Blake, it's pretty straightforward, really. I mean, we want to understand what's living in lock needs. We don't believe there's a monster there, but we think that there's a great opportunity to use this environmental DNA technology to understand what is living near the fish, the plants, the microorganisms, the invertebrates, the whole shebbe. It can be studied. You've seen this environmental DNA and who knows, maybe there is something unknown to science in the murky depths of Lockneest. Scotland's got a monster problem. So there are about thirteen different locks here in Scotland that have recordings or reports of some kind of monster, mythical preacher. So NeSSI is the most famous of the bunch. But Lockmoor, which is another big lock here in Scotland, has a monster by the name of Moragg. There's another lock that's just south of Nest called oik And that's got a monster called Weoiki. And then the whole bunch of others that have been reported and have names that are predominantly in Gallic and I can't pronounce. But the point is that the point is that there's lots of legends of monsters here, particularly related to the locks, and I guess it's underpinned by the Celtic myth of the water horse or the kelpie. So or we will be so from some of these other sites where monsters may be present, and we'll be looking to see if there's anything different about those between locked nests and those other sites, or indeed what's similar. So we would expect to see a lot of the same fish species, would expect to see a lot of other things. I guess what's different amongst those is also interesting to us. But yes, the idea is that we've tried to use these control sites to figure out what's special about locked nest, But it turns out maybe there are sites that have monsters. Who knows.
Speaker 2: So the from a species perspective, where do these locks get their fish from? I mean, do all of them? Are they connected in some way?
Speaker 1: So Locked Nest it sits at the north of Scotland and it connects to the ocean through the more Firth and there's a short piece of river called the Ness River. It's only about six miles long, so Ness effectively connects to the More Firth and then the North Sea on the eastside of the north side of Scotland by about six miles of river. And so it's open and salmon and other species can swim through the nest river into Lockness. So there's migratory eels, there's migratory salmon, lamp preys. They're all known to move from the sea into Lockness. Occasionally seals are seen in the lock and other species that have obviously come from the oceans. And then from Lockness you go down through the southern end into what's called the Caledonian Canal, which is basically modified natural rivers which connect a large number of other locks, including Lockwek which I mentioned before, which has the monster called Wiouiki. So clearly the locks are all connected, and if there were monsters, perhaps they can have a party from time to time because they could move between these sites. So there is a degree of connection. So Lockness is not separate slate in any way.
Speaker 2: Neat when you're looking at the DNA, what would distinguish a lake monster from the more mundane species.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be something we can't easily identify on the tree of life, I'd say for a starting point. So we're working on the premise of hypothesis testing, so we expect that when we go looking at our simples that we'll see DNA from a variety of fish species, including things like trout and salmon, and perhaps lamprey and eels and pike, and a whole variety of fish that have been previously documented in the lock. And then we would expect also to find a large number of bacteria and algae and various other things. What we are less sure we will find is any evidence of some of the hypotheses have been put forward to explain lockness. So of course our major is the so called Jurassic hypothesis.
Speaker 2: This is the one section where Neil's audio cut out the point that I need to insert what he was saying. What he says is the most outrageous hypothesis is the so called Jurassic hypothesis that somewhere out there as a prehistoric species like a pleasiosaur that's somehow escaped extinction if such DNA was found. While we don't know exactly what plesiosaur DNA looks like, we could make an educated guess about what it would look like, even though we don't have any intact DNA to compare it to.
Speaker 1: But we can actually use a process called ancestral state reconstruction to figure out what I please you sauce sequence should look like within reasonable bounds. So we would expect, to please your sauce sequence to sit somewhere in the moditory of life around about where the crocodiles and birds are.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating and.
Speaker 1: That's sort of ballpark. So we look in for recentiance, not a crocodile and not a snake or lizard, something reptilian clearly, but new to science. And if we found something like that, well, I would be highly surprised, but I also then be setting out to further experiments to prove that we could replicate that finding. And in fact, actually it's a very important part of our processes that we need to have some level of replication, and we also need to have some level of observer wise so that people don't look at the lock samples more they look at any other samples, because the temptation would be to spend more time and energy looking at lockness because there's me to be something special for them. So anyway, so the pleasia saur is that it's the most grand of thee. There are some of the are other more mundane ideas a giant catfish, like the Wells catfish, which is the European catfish. These are monstrous animals, so they grow to fourteen or sixteen feet in length. They can be hundreds of pounds in weight. And in fact, you know, thinking about a standard family car, you're probably talking about something that's the length about half the size of a standard family car. And I would have to say, if something that had the head the width or half the width of my car's bonnet, then and now I saw that thing come up underneath my boat, I'd think I'd seen a monster too. So these the Wells capfish is supposedly and produced by the Victorians and variety of waterways again in Britain in the late eighteen hundreds. They can we think lived one hundred years of age or more. So it is possible, even if they weren't breeding, that one of those fish has survived over time and is in locked ness, although again improbable, but you just don't know. And then the other idea that Adrian Shine that we work with, has put forward is the idea that migratory sturgeons might be an explanation for some of the monster sightings. And again we know what a sturgeon's DNA looks like, and we could look for evidence of whether we see any sequences approximate what we think a sturgeon would look like in terms of st a sequence.
Speaker 2: I would love it if there was a really good photograph of that, so we could have the sturgeon photo. That'd be.
Speaker 1: You know, clearly there's a lot of sturge up in North America, pignosed sturge and things like that. Again, big animals sixteen foot and lengths hundreds of pounds in weight, live for years, and they're not even the biggest ones. I think the biggest ones are the ones from Siberia. So there's a lot of plausible explanations that we can test, and we will will do.
Speaker 2: Other biological concerns about the species in the lock that this might be helpful for, Like people who are does this tell us anything about the population? Are merely the existence? Because I was curious about whether you know, the DNA samples tell you anything about how many of an animal might be present.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's very hard to quantify off these data at the moment. That's something that many people around the world are trying to figure out. So it's pretty much you can get an idea of abundance from the total quantity of DNA sequence, But it's hard to scale that because you know, big creatures will release more DNAs, creatures will have less because they've got fewer cells. So we need a better way to quantify that. So at the moment, predominantly descriptive this was present, but we don't necessarily know how many of them there are.
Speaker 2: Does the depth of the lock when you're doing these samples, are you expecting to see, like, do you think the temperature and other factors will like affect the distribution of the DNA across the samples.
Speaker 1: Well, it certainly affects the distribution of species, So we're going to be looking at temperature profiles and salinity profiles. We know there's a thermocline in lockness. In fact, actually the thermocline has been responsible for a lot of the potential sightings that have been made over the years. We think so logs submerge and then re emerge from time to time, partly driven by the fact that there is this temperature differential which creates currents, and sometimes these currents run counter to the wind direction. So what happened as you might have a northerly wind and yet people see objects moving against the wind. So the natural instinct is to say, Okay, it's moving, therefore I quit it's swimming, and therefore it's a monster because it's going against the direction of the prevailing wind. But in fact, Adrian China that there's dynamic water movements and locked nests driven by thermal differences. So I feel underwater mate is one of the things that they're discovered, and that the water and the currents can be moving in the opposite direction to the wind. Blowing currents interesting, so you get objects like logs that rise and fall in the water, so they submerging and they re emerge, and occasionally they can be moving opposite to the general prevailing wind flow. And the explanation that many people have said is okay, it's moving against the wind, therefore it must be swimming. But it doesn't have to be. It could easily be the currents that occur with lock nest of are driving.
Speaker 2: That you're looking at water on this particular study. This is me just hypothesizing, But would it be true or would it be reasonable to suspect that the sediments that fall on the bottom of the lock form something like a historical record in the same way ice cores do would you be able to do like a mud sample at the bottom and tell about the species variations over time. Would that kind of a sample.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they can preserve and sediments longer than a can and water, but we just don't know how long. What would depend on basically how protected it was from microorganism damage. So funnily enough, tonight we were just talking to Adria and Shine about cause that he took of sediments twenty five years ago for a project called the Rosetta Project, and it was quite revolutionary really. So Adrian managed to get a device two hundred and thirty meters down to the bottom of lock Nest and then he managed to sample deep into the lock six meters plus and that goes back nine and a half thousand years, so basically to the time of the last glaciation. Here. Wow, he's got a couple of cause like that. He's got some others that are shorter, and he still has them on a shelf up in the top of his loft, so they've been stored dry, which is not ideal. People that do this cooring would routinely freeze them. But we are going to give it a go and see if we can get some DNA out of his cause and see if we might be able to find evidence of what species were present in the sediment cause well, I don't know three four or five, nine thousand years ago. You know, I think the prospects of getting something good are probably pretty low. But you know, within my team that we've assembled here, we've got people from the University of Copenhagen, from Tom Gilbert's lab, and you know Tom's an expert on paleoge If anyone can do this, he probably can. So we'll give it a go.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic. Seems like a low cost, low risk way to approach the problem without having to do new core samples.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, course sampling is really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Adrian described as a bit of a moonshot, and probably he's probably right. It would have been a lot of work. And if we were to do that sort of project again, and it would take quite a lot of kit and time. So I think he had a rig deployed on the bottom of lock Nest for a couple of weeks, and you know that's a lot of boat time. Yeah, yeah, And and and a higher level of risk that you might actually achieve nothing so the weather he is actually phenomenal at the moment. So if we'd had all the equipment, maybe we could give it a go again, but not the strimp.
Speaker 2: You so you've got this team together. How expensive is a project like this is? Is this something that will be affordable to come back and do again and get some sort of sample over time?
Speaker 1: So it's hard to guess exactly how well. I mean, I should know how much it's cost. I can tell you that most I can tell you that the boat and the skipper, the Lockness Projects has donated to us, so we haven't had to pay for any of that. Pretty much everybody that's working on the project is donating their time for free. I'm paying for some accommodation, I'm paying for food. I haven't paid people to fly here except for my student and myself. So at that regard, it's a reasonably low cost project. Where it gets expensive is when we start buying the gear to take the samples. So that was a few thousand dollars. When we process the samples, it's going to be a few thousand dollars more. So what are we looking at now, Probably ten thousand dollars in reagents, costs probably with the accommodation bills and if as probably another ten thousand dollars, So not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. And then it gets even more expensive when we start getting to the lab and doing the sophisticated genetics. So there you're probably talking about thirty thousand dollars and then probably another thirty thousand dollars to sequencing, so that that adds up a much close to one hundred thousand bucks and money coming from I'm mostly paying for it out of bits of money that I've managed to accumulate from projects over time, and I'm also hopeful that some suppliers will donate their services. So, for example, the twenty thousand dollars worth of lab costs that I mentioned, I got an email last week and it looks like a company might come to the party on that. The sequencing. It looks very lightly that a company called a Luna, who one of the leaders in sequencing technologies, will probably help us with the and they look to have some support from a local company here in the UK. So hundreds of thousands of dollars is the answer, but not paying.
Speaker 2: That that's fantastic though, I mean I mean it's it's expensive, yet it's you know, it's it's it sounds like some really good return on the dollar for this kind of data that you're going to get out of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this science that we do genetics is not a cheap science by any stretch of the imagination. The equipment and the chemicals are expensive, but you know, the insights that we're gaining from the work are quite extraordinary from time to time. So it's easy to say, oh, this genetics project is very expensive. Some more cynical out there would say, oh, that's a lot of meter to spend, looking to some does not. And it's not about the monster. The monster is an opportunity to get people interested in science. Okay, So for us, it's all about what's in lockes and it's measuring it by diversity's understanding what the life of that lock is like in June twenty eighteen, it's establishing a baseline from which we can do further experiments down the track, or how people who have instant questions of their own. So, for example, we're working with UK collaborators who are working on the patterns of movement of migratory fish. Is ishes well not locked ness samples going to be really really important the answer some of their questions. There's another proach that's worked the Scottish Natural Heritage Society and they are interested in what are the biological markers of healthy lake or lock systems. And again this will fit into part of the total package of what people know about locks in Scotland and we can make some assessment about how healthy lock ness is. So I think we'll get multiple science publications out out of this work as well as being able to explain to people what we're doing. Ye, DNA is powerful and hopefully getting them excited about the prospect of using that in other contexts. And who knows, we might even find a monster.
Speaker 2: I tell you what, Neil, this project is so close to my heart. This is exactly the sort of thing that we try to do with monster talk to you know. The fascination in monsters just naturally bleeds over into a really useful way of looking at biology and trying to understand science and to understand evolution and how all the things are related. There's so much there. I'm just really stoked for you. I hope you find something really cool. And I realized that really cool is not particularly scientific, but you know, I love this, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so do we. And that's what we're excited about. We're excited about the opportunity to excite people about science, I mean, basic fundamental science. If I told you about d and I without a monster hook, we probably get two coliments in the local paper if we are lucky. You know, we've been in the headlines of papers all around the world. We've got media coming you know, this week from major channels in the US. We've got NBC, We've got CBS, you know, we've got Sky and various other channels here in the UK BBC. And what a great opportunity to get people excited about an adventure. Because it is an adventure. We don't know what we're going to find. It might be quite mundane at the end of it, but I think it's still an adventure. And DNA is cool. I mean, it really is cool. So there was a paper published and about about a month ago describing sharks in the Pacific and the DNA tools identified more shark species than any of the other tools that we would use routinely to measure shark diversity. So normally what you normally what you do is you put a chunk of flesh out on a hook and you put it next to a video camera and you look to see what comes round and eats the meat. Right, It's basically how we survey sharks, and that works pretty well. But some sharks are actually pretty shy, and so they don't come to the meat, they don't eat it, they don't get video recorded, and you never know they're there. But with DNA you do. So here is a while to look at our world and identify those hidden things, those hidden creatures, which are important parts of our total understanding of those systems, but that we've been missing. So I love that we are able to use this tool to explore our world in a different way. And it turns out, even though I told you the price tag for the Locknest project's pretty high, if we were to do it with submarines or drones or you know, nets towing nets up and down the lock orse sonar, that's all really expensive too. You know, you're paying for people's time, you're paying for their expertise, you're paying for the equipment. So a science project like ours, which is going to be reduce maybe three papers give will take plus get a whole heap of people interested in science. Hopefully, even if it's one hundred hundred thousand dollars, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Speaker 2: No, that sounds great. I know you have another thing that we're bumping up against, so I'll end this, but I hope that when you get a little further down the road with your sample investigation, we can talk again about how things are going, because this is really interesting.
Speaker 1: Happy to do that, and you know, it's all part and part of what we're doing is trying to get people interested and potential because I think, say, maybe not next year, but in five or ten years time, these sequencing devices will be cheap enough, and it's not going to be quite star Trek, but these sequencing devices are going to be cheap enough that you're be able to buy one, probably at your local corner store, that you can plug into your phone or whatever personal device you're carrying, and if you wanted to, if you chose to, you could monitor your natural world in a way which is quite unprecedented. You get a lot of DNA sequence information you don't even know I have to know that much about DNA sequence because the app on your phone will probably interrogate that, and it will spit out to you these species are present here. I mean, it becomes a really interesting toolkit for understanding what's present in our environment and recreational fishing. People might be interested in that. People might be interested in this affair, you know, going out surfing or swimming to know what species are out there. They might be interested in just running it across the salad bar at their local to make sure there aren't any bacteria that like they're kill them. These are important things. So I predict this technology is going to change our world in a lot of different ways. And Lockness is just a starting point for that conversation and that education of people and help bring them on that journey.
Speaker 2: Let's finish up with every episode when we interviewed them, when you we try to ask them this question, what's your favorite monster?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a really interesting one. I was fascinated and also terrified by Medusa when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh and does that does that count?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is mythical.
Speaker 2: So yeah, my daughters, the gorgons and the whole idea of snakes. Did you ever see the Seven Faces of Doctor Lowell with the Tony Randall. Uh no, Yeah, they have a wonderful Medusa in there. She's she's really it's it's Tony Randall, but he's his snake. Hare is sort of stop motion and a Harry Housing kind of.
Speaker 1: I might remember that. Yeah, anyway, so i'm i'm I'm remembering some of the old stop motion stuff, you know, from the Black and White. I mean, yeah, Medusa was scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah she was. Yeah, they where she still is scary.
Speaker 1: Still is scary, and so so that was that was that was quite terrifying. And I also remember a show called The Tomorrow People, which was a British show, and and these these these Tomorrow People had telepathic powers. They could do a thing called jaunting. They could basically will themselves to be any part of the universe. Anyway, one of those episodes they met a sort of Amnibus like god, and that thing terrified the crap out of me too.
Speaker 2: So yeah, probably like a dog headed sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, dog headed sort of humans. Yeah, but you know, eight hearts and killed people.
Speaker 2: I've heard of that show before. I love to watch old British television, so I'll have to see if I can look that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty good. Actually, that's it's the seventies we're going. We're going back aways now. But fortunately the whole bunch of people who have loaded that stuff up onto onto YouTube and other other sites, which is just wonderful. If you've got a nostalgic streak, which I do from talking.
Speaker 2: About that, I do. It's almost debilitating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I try to get my kids to watch it, but I just don't want to watch it because it's just not exciting enough.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, it's give me a little slow. I just got my daughter to watch a Knight of the Demon or Curse the Demon, which is based on Mr James' story. I just love that last night, and she was. I think she was genuinely scared, even though I think the effects don't really hold up very well. But it's such a good story. So anyway, i'd better let you go so you have a break before your next interview. Thank you so much. I'll send you an email when this is going to go live, And I really appreciate it and hope you do well with your research, and I'd like to hear how things turn out.
Speaker 1: Monster.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters I'm your host, Blake Smith, and you just heard an interview Professor Neil Gimmel, who's conducting an environmental DNA survey of several Scottish locks to find out what species live there and perhaps define any undiscovered monsters. Like Professor Gimmel, I don't expect he'll find pleaseosaurs, but as you've heard, he'll be able to test several hypotheses about the locke and the life forms therein with many different watery environments being tested, I commend him for combining a love of monsters with a love of good science. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinion is expressed on the shore are those of myself, my guests, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 4: We hope you've enjoyed this episode of Monster Talk. Each episode we strive to bring you the best in monster related content, with a focus on bringing scientific skepticism into the conversation. If you enjoy Monster Talk, we now have a variety of ways to support the show, all with convenient links at monster talk dot org, forge Slash support. That's monster talk dot org. Forge Slash support. There, we have links to our Patreon pages as well as a donation button. A great way to support the show is to buy us books from our Amazon Monster Talk wish list, which directly helps us with our research. We love usbooks very much, so don't feel compelled to buy new ones, and we love Kindle and we can share our digital library with each other. Finally, without spending any money at all, you can support us by leaving a positive review at iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. Positive reviews help keep us visible in iTunes, which is a great way to help us find new listeners. And please share our show on your favorite social media platforms.
Speaker 5: Save the data for a colossal Siicon twenty eighteen. Bigger venue, biggest stars, bigger ideas, bigger fun. Las Vegas, October the eighteenth to the twenty first, twenty eighteen Sicon is already one of the planet's premiere skeptical conferences, where hundreds of critical thinkers come to Las Vegas, the City of Illusions, to hear from the leading lights of science and skepticism. For twenty eighteen, we want Psichon to be bigger than ever. We've even booked a bigger hotel. Come to Las Vegas at the Westgate Resort and Casino to see the brilliant and hilarious Stephen Frye on stage with Richard Dawkins. An opening night talk by Stephen Pinker on the ideas behind his new book, Enlightenment Now, the triumphant return of James, the Amazing Randy, plus New York Times science writer Carl Zimmer, psychologist and mimetics expert Susan Blackmore, the Cybabe Yvette Dontemnt, virologist and advocate for science based medicine, Paul Offert, and many many more, along with comic musician George Rubb serving as Master of Ceremonies, a magic show from Banachek, author book signings, and of course, a Halloween costume party. It's true conspiracy theorists, quax peddling, fake medicine, and the deniers of evolution, climate change, and vaccine science are bigger threats than ever. With paikon twenty eighteen, Let's show them that they have just met their match. We'll see you in Las Vegas. For more information and to book your tickets, visit Csiiconference dot org that PSI Conference dot.
Speaker 2: Org Master Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks again for listening.
Speaker 6: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to Skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptics content.
Speaker 3: London's West End Here in the winter of eighteen eighty eight a series of bizarre and violent murders occurred which remained unsolved to this very day.
Speaker 1: Jack the Ripper.
Speaker 3: Was he a prosperous London surgeon, perhaps a member of British Royalty. Well a bullshit team has unearthed spectacular new evidence which suggests.
Speaker 4: That Jack the Ripper was, in fact the Luckness Monster.