Speaker 1: Let's take a little break. Okay, it's Friday. Not a little fun on a Friday. We've been pretty football centric to a little hoops of Howard Beck and it's been a little while. But if you're a fan of the show, first of all, thank you, how are you? Second of all, you know our next guest. You love our next guest. He is one of one. He is an attorney from New Jersey who's also a stand up comedian and a fan of the Utah Jazz. Go find one other person like that. It's not possible. JL Covan on a Friday afternoon jail. Happy Friday, sir, how you been?
Speaker 2: Oh? Very good? Happy Friday, Happy New Year. Very good to talk with you.
Speaker 1: So let's you know, as I referenced from the first time I met you and became familiar with your work, you are a very unique individual and you are a jazz fan. You are an East Coaster and you know they're finally leaning into this tank thing jayl and hopefully pays off with Cooper Flag. But how engaged are you watching Jazz games this year?
Speaker 3: If at all, it's you know.
Speaker 2: They drove me into the arms honestly of the New York Rangers a little bit. I've been watching a lot more hockey than I've ever watched before because I needed, you know, And as soon as I started watching the Rangers, they went from best record in the league in one season to worst record in their division. So it might be me Age might want to trade me to another franchise. But I think I've been watching now because I just want to Basically, I just want to see the young players, Like I'm not watching for wins. I'm just watching to stay familiar. But it's tough because I just think, all due respect to the front office, I think the last two seasons until this year, doing the mid season tank is the worst of all possibilities, you know, where it's like, hey, it looks like they're overachieving under Will Hardy and Lori Markin and all right, now let's trade some people. Then let's try to get that tenth pick. You know, it doesn't so and they did it like two years in a row. So like this year, I think they finally have gotten to that level where we'll just miss Cooper Flag and Ron Harper's son. Like when those envelopes are revealed and we get the fourth pick, it will all be worse.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Oh, and I'm not saying you're wrong. It's like we just need a little Lady luck out here. We've never had it. Yes, we only drop we even dropped last year. But it does feel like maybe this organization is finally due for the frozen envelope this time to say the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, come on, I think so. You know, New York, Salt Lake City, those are both markets that you know the League wants to dominate. So I just to me, whoever they get, I hope it's somebody strong. I will just be terrified if Oklahoma City gets any more luck and like they end up with Cooper. Fis like we don't know what to do. We have to trade one of our future all stars because there's just not enough room on the roster right.
Speaker 3: Right right now.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Hey, I know you've told the story before, but it has been a while since we've had you on, and certainly radio audience has changed and we have new listeners.
Speaker 3: So let's get.
Speaker 1: The JL Covan Lawyer, New Jersey Utah Jazz fan origin story.
Speaker 2: Sure, so, growing up in New York, I moved to Jersey right before the pandemic. But growing up in New York. My whole family that were Knick fans still are Knick fans, and I guess I just wanted to be different. And I remember looking in the Sporting News, which for the younger listeners, there used to be things called papers and magazines, and they used to print things, and you'd see the stats for the NBA players and I would just be like, Okay, I know who Michael Jordan is. He was always at the top of the scoring. And I'd be like, who's came alone? Because this guy's like right under Jordan every time, so he's got to be good. And then assist I'd be like, well, I know who Magic Johnson is. Who's this guy Jay stock that's always ahead of Magic Johnson in the fifth So I ended up watching the Jazz and I'm also biracial in case there's any mono racial Jersey lawyer Utah Jazz fan out there, just to throw in another detail about my life, and the joke is sort of seeing Karl Alone and John Stockton cooperate so well together while watching my Haitian father and Irish mother constantly argue, I said, Hey, this is more the spirit I'm looking for the kind of team spirit. I like to see between black people and white people. And then I became a lifelong Utah Jazz fan.
Speaker 1: There you go, How how have you digested because it's been a big topic on the show. You know, Donovan Mitchell, as you remember year two out here the meme.
Speaker 2: See, I don't hear a lot about him anymore. How's he doing these days?
Speaker 1: He seems to be thriving jail And you know, you know, my sincere hope was the experience he had as the main scoring cog for a playoff basketball team year two would pay off in four or five years.
Speaker 3: And it has, but not really has, but not here but not here.
Speaker 2: You know, but when you know, when you love somebody, you know, it's like that Adell song, I hope I find someone like you. You know, That's how I feel about look at him having success, like let's just maybe one day it'll happen again. You don't trade a thirteen pick when you're the Utah Jazz, Karl Malone, Donovan Mitchell. That is just fact. I'm still a big believer that bringing in a new coach like Will Hardy and maybe us trading all our draft picks for somebody like Lauri Markinen and adding him to go Bear and Mitchell and just putting them in a room and saying, you guys are in the contract for three more years. Figure it out. Let's go would have been worth it. I get it. They want a different direction, and I don't think it's unreasonable to break it up. But the problem is when Anthony Edwards makes the leap, when Donovan Mitchell proves himself to be a top ten talent in the league, that treasure trove of draft picks end up being, you know, in the twenties instead of like that Brooklyn. I think Ange thought he was going to replicate the heist of the Brooklyn nets that brought them Tatum and Brown. Instead it's I don't think it's going to bring us that. I'll just leave it at that without insulting anybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it doesn't appear like it as of now. Because Cleveland's pick might be the last pick in the draft. In Minnesota's pick probably will be you know, eighteen nineteen twenty, they have to rely on their own pick, and hopefully, as we talked about, we'll see a little lady luck and see Cooper flag here next year and potentially, you know, get back to winning ways at some point. Last Jazz thing though, because you know, now being a fan for as long as you've been, this is brand new.
Speaker 3: We have been incredibly spoiled.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: We've had couple dips here there, but they usually last a year or two and then you know, they draft Darren Williams and they signed Carlos Boozer and Boom, or they you know, lose Heyward, draft Mitchell Gobar Boom. This is still two three years away at the earliest, in my opinion, of this team being back in even non play in territory where they might be capturing one of the top eight seeds. And this will be the first time that we will have experience probably five to six years of losing basketball. It just it just goes to show you, JL that we've all been spoiled as Jazz fans.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. But I will say this, and I shout out to Andre Kirolanko, because when I thought I was going to fade as a Jazz fan after Malone and Stocking were done, kier Lanco was really the bridge for a couple of years, just such an interesting, unique player that I was like, I'll stick with the Jazz, I got somebody to hang my hat on. And to me, what bothered me about the Age era so far was that if you look, you could say we were lucky, but you could also say a culture, a good front office will draft talent and find that Mitchell at thirteen, that Gobert at twenty seven, that you don't have to go get the I mean Yanna Santa Compo fifteenth pick, Kawhi Leonard fifteenth pick. So it's the Jazz. I think what I loved about them and still you know, you know, I'm still a fan. But for literally like decades, they just they did it this sort of old fashioned way and had enough confidence in their drafting and their player development and their culture that I could be like, yes, I'm not about ring chasing. I'd love it if Malone and Stockton, who want a ring, I'd love it if Mitchell and Gobert were still in Utah. But it's more about are you, you know, sending the message that we compete every night, Like when I watch that team under Will Hardy's first year Williams College basketball alum, by the way, that's my we share that. What I what I liked about was, I said, I don't care about getting the Numone pick. This team could make the playoffs. That sends also a message about culture to free agents. That's how you maybe get the next Carlos Boozer. If there's a blind owner that you can trick, you get you know, you do you do certain things that you do, certain things that send a message of like this is a good place to be, and then you know you don't have to tank because look at Philadelphia. They they invented the modern tank, and they collected a bunch of high draft picks and talented players and have yet to win a title and probably won't under the embiid era. So so this idea of like abandoning your four decade long culture to play the new game, which is still not a guarantee, that's what really bothered me. Because I could look at a thirty eight win team and be like, man, they overachieved. I'm excited for what pieces they can add. But when a team sort of tanks three years in a row and has to like reset the tank each year, that's more disheartening.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, well said, well said, all right, moving away from the Jazz. Every time I have you on, I always like to talk to you about your craft. Jael is a stand up comic, and we're hoping that that is his full time gig soon.
Speaker 3: Obviously, everyone's got to pay the bills.
Speaker 1: But I thought about you recently because I can remember one of our first conversations. I asked you, who you think you know the greatest stand up comic of all time is, or just you know, some ideas about what a Mount Rushmore would look like, or whatever the corny thing is. And I remember you said Greg Giraldo is one of your favorites. And it struck me because I only knew Greg through the roast. I did not know any of his stand up. And Hulu has this series called The Dark Side of Comedy, and I saw they did one on Greg and I watched it two weeks ago. Zero clue that we're talking Columbia undergrad Harvard, you know, JD graduated from you know, the the Ivy League institutions.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and zero clue.
Speaker 1: Simply you could tell, uh, you know, the snapshots during the roast. You could tell that he was bright, he was quick, you know, you could tell that he had juice. But I didn't realize really what a powerhouse he was as a stand up comic, and I learned about all these things, and you were the first person I thought of. I thought it was a really fascinating watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, Greg Garraldo is the guy who, you know, I've always sort of dreamed of being. And the business has changed, obviously, and I've carved out some niches in the kind of impersonation space, but he's always been the guy that I I, you know, I sort of wanted to be in terms of, you know, that smart but fescibl, edgy but not edge lord kind of comedian. I think he walked the line perfectly where he he had the respect of like the trolls in the back of the room, but also you know, the thoughtful people as well. He just he just kind of walked that that line perfectly. And it's a big loss. I mean, he was. It's crazy to think I turned forty five last year and I believe he passed away at forty four, which is a strange feeling to be like the first, you know, half of my comedy career. I'm looking up to this, this giant and now I've lived. I've been a comedian longer than like he was a comedian when I started, if that makes sense. So, yeah, it's a crazy thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, ultimately tragic.
Speaker 1: You know, at the end, I wonder if I could ask you more of a macro question, because I haven't watched.
Speaker 3: All of them.
Speaker 1: But you know, there's like the litany of SNL cast members that died far you young, and I think there are three seasons of this series, and I really am fascinated with the craft. I have so much respect for people that have the courage to do it. I'm wondering why you why you feel like this business inspires these bright lights who shine very very brightly and then burn out way too quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and right now, all I'm thinking is, well, at least I know one more TV credit. I could probably lock up if I'm willing to take the risk. But but no, in all seriousness, I think what I experience like I can only speak to myself, like I got into comedy because honestly, I was sort of bummed out. I mean, depressed is probably the right word, but I wouldn't want to use that without a diagnosis. But I was in the dumps in the middle of law school, like living on my own long distance relationship and I kind of just needed a hobby, and I gravitated to try and stand up comedy at some open mics, and I really enjoyed it. And I think what happens, like with a lot of performing, whether it be you know, music, sports, whatever, when you get that adrenaline rush, it wears off. You know, my first five six years doing comedy, I would leave stage after a good show and feel like high for the next three days. And then I noticed something about halfway through my career. I remember the moment it happened when I'm feeling great on stage, and by the time I was off the stage, the feeling was gone. And you know, I sometimes when I go to music concerts, I say, of course, some of these guys have drug and drinking problems, because can you imagine the the boost, the the adrenaline, the whatever seratonin rush you get from like people worshiping you and loving your art, and then you have to come down from that. And I think comedy probably there's there's other issues involved with it in terms of maybe for a lot of people it's a desire for attention, or it's a coping mechanism. You know, Humor can sometimes be a deflection of insecurities or traumas or or whatever. And I just think when you throw that all together, there's plenty of well adjusted comedians. There's plenty of people living normal lives, etc. Who do stand up comedy and affiliated sort of arts. But I think also there's a lot that goes into that both before becoming a comedian and then sometimes even with success, that can have its own drawbacks, Like I'm saying, in terms of that up and down to the extreme in terms of your emotions and happiness. So I think it's a combination of things that you just have to be, you know, kind of mentally if you can mentally psychologically on guard for to keep yourself somewhat grounded when things get high and not get too down in the dumps when things kind of settle in or get low.
Speaker 3: But let me follow up.
Speaker 1: Let me follow up with one thing, because this just kind of occurred to me. And I am not a stand up comedian, right but I do this every day for four hours without a co host, and when I'm done with my show, I am I have zero energy. I have to go home. I can't talk to anybody. I need like an hour before I'm even like back to being human.
Speaker 3: Again, And well, I often.
Speaker 1: Wonder if that's a healthy endeavor, But I really love what I do. You know, it's a blessing to be able to do this and pay your bills. So how do you And you answered this a little bit at the end of the last question, but how do you handle that I'm on stage, I'm making an entire room laugh.
Speaker 3: I killed it, and then boom.
Speaker 1: You walk out of that club, you go back to your.
Speaker 3: Hotel, and then you're just in your room.
Speaker 1: How do you traverse that space that seems to eat up some people that don't handle it?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think for me, you know, obviously it would help if I could start making a room laugh. I guess maybe that's why it hasn't happened for me yet. But twenty one years in, we'll still we'll keep fighting. No, No, I think what used to happen with me is I'd be so pumped up, like positively. I'd go, I'd drink, I'd hang out, and I just feel good. I wouldn't necessarily come down from that. I would just but it would all be positive. Now, the oddest thing happens is whether it's middle age or just adjusting I go to sleep very easily after shows because I basically get the adrenaline rush from meeting fans, you know, because there used to be when I was you know, I'm still a relative nobody, but when I was a real nobody, it was kind of like anybody telling you a compliment, like a stranger going you were funny. That's amazing. Now because I've reached a lot more people, especially you know, through social media and YouTube and the Internet, I get my most enjoyment from meeting fans, like knowing that they specifically came out to see me. That's like a really like good, wholesome feeling. And I think it helps that I had had such a long career of anonymity that you know, I never hit like rock star level fame and probably never will so but I think in a way that's kept me in a place where I can kind of take real pleasure from like good but simple moments like hey, I met like twenty fans in this city who I've interacted with online, and that just felt and that it's like it's a weird thing to say, but it's like it's kind of very pure. It's very milk and cookies instead of you know, heroin after a show, So I think that's I think I'm I'm you know. A silver lining to being where I'm at, which is maybe not exactly where I want to be career wise, is that I'm in a grounded place where I can really get that boost from just meeting fans instead of other things. And it also helps I think that I have a long term girlfriend, because obviously I'd be answering this question way differently. I think if I were single.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair. Yeah, yeah, that's that's road. Man.
Speaker 2: It's a NonStop party and I love it. And I never want to come down from this high.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't want to fire up season four of Dark Side of Comedy Jail and see you having that credit.
Speaker 3: I don't want it, buddy, So let's see.
Speaker 2: It'll be like the entire fourth season is dedicated to Jail COVID. It's that epic a crash.
Speaker 3: I don't want it, man, I don't want it.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose, we have a very special guest on hold. So for longtime listeners of the show, Jail and I became familiar when he was in town doing a show and when he told me his background. I thought it was an interesting guest to have, and then when I heard his Donald Trump impression, I'm like, we have to get jail on as somebody who has jazz knowledge to talk about the jazz as if he were Donald Trump. So jail, please hand the phone over to our former and now future president President elected Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Your take on the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here. Obviously, that's very sad what happened today in court where I did nothing only except get convicted of thirty four felonies, and they're treating me like a felon. Have you ever heard of something so silly? Just because I've been convicted of felonies, they now call me a felon. But anyway, let's talk about the Utah Jazz. Okay. And I knew they were in trouble now, you know, Spence, Can I call you Spence Uck?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Please do, mister President. I.
Speaker 2: I you know, I don't like welkness, Okay, I don't like DEI but I turned on the Utah Jazz game last night and I could have worn I saw possibly four whites on the court at the same time, and I thought maybe a little DEI maybe a little woken. Maybe the Utah Jazz could use a little bit of wokness. There seems to be they've gone they've almost gone too far, if I can say that, I respect it, but I maybe too far. And we love we love Big Walker Big Walker Texas ranger Tessler, mainly because he's a beautiful girlfriend. I think just one Miss America can't believe that. And I wasn't even there to walk in the dressing room to see how they were doing, so very proud of him. And there's a guy I thought they had, Bad Bunny. You know this guy Bad Bunny. He's a singer. I don't know if he performs in utube, but he's a big, big time deal from Peto Rico. And I thought, is that bad Bunny? And I said, now, sir, that's a guy named Johnny Jooshang. I said, okay, well I thought he was Bad Bunny. But you know, and they'll all you racist if you confused it too, I guess. But there's a you know, we're concerned. We're concerned to be honest with the team this year. This guy Bryce sensible though, I said, some nice games and didn't expect him to look the way he did. That's a very how do you put this? The name Bryce sensible sounds like a guy who's you know, father, owns a golf country club. And then all of a sudden, I see this big guy walk up to me. I said, do you know what Bryce is? And he said, sir, I'm Bryce, And I said, whoa? The Bryce is, right, I guess, but he You know, that's a tough season, and we respect d any Age obviously, but you know, if he worked for me, I think i'd say you're fired, to be honest, because they're not doing too well. But they got to get this guy Cooper flag because you know, as I say, you got to respect the flag, right, I hope you respect the flag, But there's no better way to respect the flag than to draft somebody named Flag. So I think it would be the Patriot. But I think you'd have to dump one or two white guys, to be honest, because if you put out a starting lineup of all white guys in twenty twenty five, I mean, it's basically like that Western Kentucky. Was that the team that played Kentucky or something when it was like all five African Americans versus all five white people. It's like going to look like you went in a time machine in the Utah Jays. So we don't need that. But I like Colin Sexton. I like his name sex and I also like the fa they call him Young Bull. He's a tough guy and he looks like you think you should have played He should have played football, I think because he's just he's like the most athletic guy I've ever seen. He's just like a muscle. He's like he's like if you're sat new Sonic the Hedgehog movie. He has a friend called what's his name, I don't know. Idris Alba did the voice, but he's just a big muscle. I mean, he's like you. Colin Sexton could be in Sonic the Hedgehog. I think I think they should look into that and maybe trade him for some draft picks to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise and let him he can do Sonic, you know, and very fast and strong and that would you know, he'd be a good fit, I think for the Sonic franchise, and then maybe you get some draft picks for Danny Ainge to pick some people in the low twenties of a future draft.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness. You know, for the first time you did that on the show. I knew that we had to bring this back at least once a year. It's it is gold Man. I always appreciate the time. Where can people go find your work? You've had a big year. Where can people find the work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you? I would say jailcomedy dot com. And also just one little like, I have a speci coming out on YouTube. Like you can find my YouTube links through my website or just google, you know, jl covid, It'll take you to YouTube. But I have a stand up special as Trump, Like, it's Trump doing a forty five minutes stand up special. I don't break character, it's just Trump that comes out on Inauguration Day. Can I say the title of the special? It has nothing crude in it, but it has a crude illusion.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ah, the title is inauguration is my favorite N word. So that will be on my YouTube channel on on Inauguration Day. So yeah, just check out my website. There's there's tons of stuff on YouTube. I write a lot. I've got gigs coming up. Not in Utah, I'll be in Vegas in uh March. So as far as regional concerns, but yeah, just jailcomedy dot com, just bookmarket. There's always good stuff going on for me there and on social media, so I always appreciate the time, and I hope, I hope the jazz can get the one or two pick.
Speaker 1: There we go, there we go, We're with you. JL Covan one of my favorites. He really really funny guy. He's got his new special streaming on Amazon Prime, as he referenced.
Speaker 3: You can find him on his
Speaker 1: Twitter page at jl Covan or his website jlcomedy dot com