Speaker 1: It's night with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm going easy. Boston's the next two hours, we'll take you on a tour of Boston. And that voice you hear in the background, that's my buddy Jack Hart. And Jack Hi. You are the tour guide. I'm the tour guide, and you make sure that everybody behaves. Yes, don't stick your arms out the window on the bus, that's right. And tipping is allowed, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, sometimes the left, sometimes for the right.
Speaker 2: You hear Jackhart doing traffic as you did just a couple of minutes ago, but he has an additional occupation.
Speaker 1: That's right. Not only do I talk about traffic, I sit.
Speaker 2: In it and at times even cause.
Speaker 1: Traffic from time to time.
Speaker 2: From time to time, that's exactly right. Tell people for the company for what company do you work?
Speaker 1: I work for a trolley tours. It's the Silver Trolley of the several trolleys out and around them, the Silver where the Silver Trolley Company will pick us up on Atlantic Avenue, right by the Long Long Morph and right near the New England Aquarium, and we're right out there. Come up and buy a ticket, and if you tell them that I sent you, they'll add two dollars out of the price.
Speaker 2: And how long is your tour?
Speaker 1: About about thirty five? Oh, no, the time wise.
Speaker 2: In time if you get on at ten, what time is the tour over?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a city, of course, so you know, we'll tell you that it's an hour tour. We might be back there in fifty five minutes. We might be back there in an hour and ten minutes. And as has happened a time or two towards the end of the day before a holiday weekend, three hours.
Speaker 2: Well, we have approximately an hour and fifty minutes to take this tour with you.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: So everybody that goes to atlantav right there by the aquarium, you've gotten your ticket. Now, this is a double decker bus, is it not?
Speaker 1: No, it is not. Oh okay, I'm sorry it's not though. No, there are there are there are there are. There are genuine double decker buses down there.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: There used to be two companies. Now there's only one. Uh there and uh and they do their thing. They're one of the newest companies in Then there's the Then there's the the stadium buses. Those are the ones with the very high seating, but they're not actually double decker. They are only one deck, right, And those were actually designed by a company that I by a group of myself and several others in a company that I used to manage that's went out of business two years after I left, which nice but any rate, But so so those exist. We have the the the the typical uh. They're trolley's made by a company called Mally up and up and oh Gunkwood, Maine and Wells, Maine actually and and so they're it's essentially it's a it's a Ford uh mobile home chassis what it is. And so yeah, so they're they're the typical. They're like eleven feet high. So you see them there. They're what you typically expect to see when you when you look for a for trolley tour.
Speaker 2: Now the duck boats do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well they do that, No, they do something different. We have an on and off formula, so you buy a ticket with the with city view or with the uh. The other companies and the people who are mean to their passengers, and they're they're all kind of nice, I guess, but they you know, the several of us do there. There are several of us who do the on and off formula hop on and off, although nobody nobody hops, everybody's always stepping. But they're the the on and off tours, so you know, they are a number of stops throughout the city. City View has nine stops throughout the essentially around the Freedom Trail route, and you get off. You spend as much time as you want. You want to go to the Constitution, spend two hours there if you want, spend fifteen minutes there. About every fifteen to twenty minutes, another one of our trolleys comes past, and you just show your ticket and get back on the ducks. They do something different. They do about an eighty minute tour. You don't get off it. You have the same conductor.
Speaker 2: No, because there's water and powder of the tour.
Speaker 1: Well, oh yeah, just for a few minutes though, I mean, you know, they take you on a pretty good surface tour, pretty good surface tour of the city. And then they go into the Charles River for forty seven forty eight seconds and then they come out. No, no, they go about ten minutes into the Charles River right and tightens some stories and then they come back out. But you don't get off that trip once you you know, well, you get on, you take the entire trip, and then you get off. Yeah, if you wanted to get off in the middle of the Charles, there'd be news stories about it every day. And so that's you know. So that's the difference between the duck and the trolley. And the trolley goes into the It can go into the water, but only once.
Speaker 2: It's not the going into the water, it's the getting out of the water once you've gone in.
Speaker 1: That's the tough part. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now I'm gonna tell you a quick story. Then we're going to take our break and open up the phone lines. Excellent, this happened. Oh good grief, my son, who's now forty one. This happened when he was sixteen, maybe fifteen. I had a show to do in Philadelphia. I brought him with me, much to the overconcerned by my then wife now my ex, and she gave me solid rules make sure he is safe. She knew I was gonna be working at convention, so I couldn't keep eyes on him. But one of her rules was make sure he never leaves the hotel. Now I'll repeat that, never leaves the hotel. And we stayed at the Adams Mark hotel, which is on the outskirts of Philly. It's like Framingham to Boston. And I told him, Evan, I'm going to work. You cannot leave the hotel. And he became friendly with the concierge there, and he was told by the concierge that there's a tour. You get on the bus. It takes you all around Liberty Bell Ben Franklin Statue in Philly. Yay. So when I came home that day, because it's a four day convention, he said, Dad, can I go on the tour? I'll stay on the bus. Here are the two words. I promise, I'll stay on the bus. And I figure, fine, how often does a teenager get a chance to see one of America's most historic cities?
Speaker 1: Sure the other great Liberty.
Speaker 2: So here we go. I told him he could go. He goes. Now, I don't hear about this until after the fact. I come back after doing trivia at this convention all day, and he told me this is a great city. I was able to get off the bus and I said, what, Oh, well, the bus comes around and you can get on another bus if you know where to pick it up. I said, I thought we had a deal that you were going to get off the bus. Oh but dad, it was safe, and you know.
Speaker 1: How he was fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, it was safe. He's now telling me past tense about the story. But I knew if he told the story to my ex, Holy heck would be dumped upon my head. Yeap, yep, yep. And the fact that I got to hear about all the places that he was able to walk to, because a lot of the Philly historic sites are within walking distance. Yet and still the bus took you on a greater array of the historic sites. So what you're telling me is you do the same thing here in Boston.
Speaker 1: We do the same thing. We we let children get lost in the city.
Speaker 2: Yet no, I'm stopping you here. On that note, I'm going to take a break. If people want to call in six seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or eight eight, eight, nine to nineteen thirty and ask questions, Yes, trust me, Jack knows Boston history.
Speaker 1: And if I don't know something that I'll be something.
Speaker 2: You make it up. Shit, don't tell them that. But if you want to know about the Boston massacre and the five people lost their lives, but another seventeen to twenty people were wounded, and how it started with snowballs. Jack can tell you all of that. That's right, that's right. So let's take our break. Time and temperature here on night Side ten sixteen seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World.
Speaker 2: Night Side Studios on w b Z.
Speaker 1: The news radio.
Speaker 2: Dan, we'll be back on Monday, I promise. But until then, I am here and I'm joined by Jack Hart, and we're doing the best we can to teach a little history on a Friday night here on Nightside. We've already got a couple of calls. But Jack, before we take a phone call, Yeah, I brought up the Boston massacre, and I know that's on our tour. I know we're not going in if I sat with that now, But since I brought it up, give the history of that incident back in March of what seventeen seventy.
Speaker 1: March seventeen seventy, no, seventeen seventy, yes, yeah, And it's important that's that we know that particular date because here's the thing. I contend that the Boston massacre was not happenstance, that it was a setup. And I'll tell you why number one March nineteen, seventeen seventy. So the British soldiers showed up in Boston in seventeen sixty eight. They started the occupation of Boston seventeen sixty eight. Boston was the first town to get them, and Limesley because Boston, being very rural, very urban people had more time to sort of think a little bit. And after seventeen sixty five with the Stamp Act. The Stamp Act imposed unreasonable taxes on the colonists and it didn't last very long. Was replaced by the Townsend Act that essentially said that England can repeal the Stamp Act, but now we can make any rule we want against the colonists and there's nothing you can do about it. So from that came the Sons of Liberty that grew out of Boston mostly and with a little bit of activity down in Philadelphia. Boston is the first town to experience the occupation of the British occupation, and so by seventeen seventy they're here about a year and a half. By March of seventeen seventy they are about a year and a half. They were out of March of sixty eight, but the other colonies have not experienced this so much yet, and this rebellion it's just a rebellion at this point seventeen seventy, very early on, just a rebellion, so it hasn't really spread to the other colonies so much. So now Sam Adams and John Hancock, amongst their duties, is really to kind of create visibility and create support from other colonies and from other groups for this burgeoning rebeccon and so on March fifth, seventeen seventy pretty soldier to hear about a year and a half, not very well, like they're pushing people around. They're their own countrymen. Everybody's British here and they're their own countrymen. And they're in Boston. They're pushing people around, they're taking up resources. They're not getting paid a novel lot from England for their service, so they're they're taking part time jobs and things here and there. So on this partition. A couple of days before first of about a week or so before the Boston massacre, down at what's now the intersection of Essex and Washington and Boylston Streets right down there in Chinatown, and there was a what they call the Liberty Tree. There was a tree there that some of these rebels would meet and plan their strategies and pass in from British soldiers show up at one of these meetings and fire into the crowd and kill the seventeen year old whose name isn't coming to me now. So first of all, you've got that going on, so you've got a little bit of a you've got a little motivation. A few days later, So a week or so later, over at John Gray's rope Walk over in Charlestown, there's a long building along the Charlestown Navy Yard every going down to the Charlestown Navy As a building, it's about a quarter mile long. It's called the Ropewalk. Its apartments are condominiums now, but it's called the rope Walk. They made and all the rope for the United States Navy was made there until nineteen seventy four. But any rate they used to make rope there. They had these long, quarter mile long buildings because they didn't know you could coil it at that point, and they so British soldiers came in at some point. So now there's a lot of people are working there making rope British soldiers came in at about a week before this incident on King Street, as the British refer to the Boston massacre. So about a week before, some British soldiers show up at the rope walk and they're looking for they're looking for work, and so the foreman says, yeah, you can clean they essentially the outhouses. He didn't use quite that pleasant language. And so a big fight and started, and you know, it was like a like an anticap comic strip, big cloud of a big cloud of arms and legs stick it out of it, you know, and a big beef between the people working at the rope walk and and other people along the docks there and these British soldiers. So big fight comes along. So a week or so later, it's a Monday night, it's a cold Monday night. There's one British soldier. And actually we say that it happened in front of the old State House, because the custom House is no longer. There would be about where sixty State Street is right now, all right, a tremont or a Congress and State Street. So they there was one loan century and uh so early in the afternoon, uh the couple of a couple of uh uh uh young teenagers go by there and they start throwing snowballs at the soldier, and a couple of mothers come on. They get into a little bit of a beef and everybody's given everybody a hard time, and a couple of these soldiers, you know, they they sort of huh whacked. These are these kids with the with the butts of their rifles.
Speaker 2: So now you just said these two things.
Speaker 1: The soldiers had rifles, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: All the kids from the colonies had snowballs.
Speaker 1: They had snowballs. So because because here's the thing, the British had taken everybody's guns. They had taken everybody's guns. They had no weapons. So this is what they're doing is you know, I'm I believe that that that they're they're they're there. This is all part of a plan. And uh so a little while later, coming out, you know, at nine o'clock at night on a Monday, all right, it's snowing, it's cold, nobody's out. In seventeen seventy nine, nine o'clock on a Monday, in a cold and snowy night, all of a sudden, you know, several hundred people show up down there and they start harassing these, you know, the soldiers there, and then a few more come out, total of eight soldiers come out, and so they start pelting them with snowballs, rocks, coming at them with cudgels or clubs, and so they're surrounding these eight soldiers. That you've got eight soldiers that bags are up against a wall somewhere three four hundred people are crushing in on them and so a bell. So there's a lot of confusion. There's a lot of yelling and a lot of things going on. The soldiers are given the order not to fire unless specifically ordered. They're not to fire at will. They're supposed to wait for an order to fire. So in the meantime, now, on a Monday night, all of a sudden, a church in a nearby steeple starts ringing. There's only two reasons why a church bell rings in those days. One is a call the Sunday go to meeting or other events at the church. The other is because there's a frire. No because there's a fire. Okay, So what happens people start yelling. So just as the crowd is pushing in some the crowd starts yelling fire. The soldiers are confused, they don't know what to do. Matter of fact, amongst these soldiers are several of those people who've gotten that fight down at at the rope walk several days earlier. And so, you know, so so, you know, and and a couple of them were what we we call in today's you know, today's parlance, knuckleheads. You knows, well, well big you know, a couple of these soldiers with these sort of big, goofy guys, you know, and who always willing to knuckle somebody's head anyway. And so so at any rate, that kind of standing out in front, sticking their chest out and things against his marble, like three hundred people, and so they started crushing it. The people are screaming fire. The soldiers don't know what to do. They fire a word, they hear the word, they fire into the crowd. They fire into the crowd, and eight people had done. You said there were a bunch of people down. You know, it takes too long to load a musket. You wouldn't have had more than eight people down, right, unless somebody got hit by the same musket ball twice. So eight people are down and u and because they're thinking that, well, first they raised them muskets. They think they're going to chase away the crowd. They think they're going to scare away the crowd by raising them muskets. Crowd goes crazy, crowds goes wild. Now, question is who's in this crowd now. Sam Adams and John Hancock had a number of people who they call their bully boys. And Sam's people were, you know, would have been located more down along what we would call the South Station area now right, and John Hancock's bully boys would have been the people who were more down towards the north end in Charlestown area. Okay, And so you know, so and that covers a big area. It really does cover a fair fair pretty big area.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know, you've got a lot of people down there, and a lot of these people to see, a lot of these people like you know, uh, these people who worked on John Hancock on his boats if if he didn't have work then they were making rope over it, John Gray's rope walk and so forth and so on. So these are all people who are actually affected by Britain's policies. They're actually affected because they're losing work and uh and you know, these these are laborers. These are people who need the money, you know, and because there's no other, there's no other, you know, sort of high side hustles. We have side hustles today. You know, you don't have the side hustles some probably, but you know, uh they if they well there were one was side hustle was if you're worry were they're working on a boat, You're working making rope and uh so you know. So so my question is people don't even talk about this. Are these people Sam and John's bully boys and so five people two people die on the spot, Christmas Addicts and Sam Gray they die on the spot, and three others of Patrick Carr, Samuel Maverick, and James Caldwell they died over the next several days, and then several others recovered. And they're all considered to be the first bloodshed for the cause of the American Revolution.
Speaker 2: Now I gotta stop. I gotta stop here for break, Okay, but we can pick that up and for Patrick from Colorado, you will be first. As soon as Jack Cart finishes the story about the Boston massacre here on night side time and temperature ten thirty one seventy nine degrees. It's night Side with Dany Boston's News Dance Off. I'm here on Morgan, don't forget. I have my showy Saturday night at ten and Tomorrow night I'm going to be playing trivia, having done it in a couple of months. But next Saturday, the seventeenth scheduled and Jack, you know, you always have to say that when you've got a special guest. That's right, I've got Jerry Mathers as the beaver.
Speaker 1: Really yes, wow, he.
Speaker 2: Is scheduled and hopefully I'll be able to open up the phone line. So anybody who's always wanted to speak to Jerry Mathers, you can. I had Tony dow on at least three occasions. He passed away within the past year or so. But the beaver is still here. The beaver is still here. You know, when we talk about Cops Hill Burying Ground, we talk about the about some of the people who are buried up there, including you know, Cotton Mathers, Richard Mathers, Increased Mathers, Jerry Mathers, you know, And I thought you were going to go in a different direction because when you think of the Boston tea party, the three ships were the eleanor the Dartmouth and the Beaver and the beaver, the tread and the beaver. So real quick, I'm going to have you interrupt your story because Patrick and Colorado has been holding for like seventeen to eighteen minutes, so let's bring him into our conversation. Patrick, thank you for calling in. So where do you Hi there?
Speaker 1: Hello? Patrick?
Speaker 3: Hi Jack Jack. I want to talk about your role in Boston history a little bit. Uh So, Tony Mesbitt, who I'm sure you know, is Nathan's producer for many years, and he has taken old Nor Nathan Show and made a podcast out of him.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wonderful, fabulous listening to it. You're a huge part of the show because you will always be on the first the game playing.
Speaker 2: The dumb birthday birthday game.
Speaker 3: That's dumb birthday game, exactly. And it seems like you won probably half the time I was won. If you have any stories about norm you know at that time, that must have been the first your first job out of school, I guess right, because you must have been you know, late twenties, right, Yes, I.
Speaker 1: Was, and I'm just in my my early four hundreds. Now I knew Ben Franklin. Now the I was I was probably I was in my late twenties, exactly right. I had done some other things. I wanted to be in radio, but you know, you know the world I grew up in, you know, it was always you're always encouraged to get a good job, you know, And so as much as I wanted to be in radio, I didn't get into it until I was in my late twenties. And and and it kind of fell out of the sky a little bit of the truth. But I saw I was in my late twenties, and I had my first thing that I was doing, was working for in those days was Metro Traffic Control, and which no longer is are has been consumed, has been absorbed by other traffic traffic companies over the years. But yeah, I was assigned to w b Z and and the first time that Norm and I the first time that I was doing uh traffic on Norm show was it was just an odd thing.
Speaker 2: He he.
Speaker 1: I didn't really know so much about Norm Nay, and I was aware of him, but I really hadn't listened too much and he uh, he was doing the thing he was talking on there about about the Fabulous Baker Boys is at the name of the movie with Michelle Pfiffer, and and he was talking about Michelle Pfeiffer singing the song where she's on the piano. And so I don't know why, but he threw traffic to me. I was new to. I was new to at the time. I had no there was no real reason for me to be so brash and and brazen. But he said so I said, a wow, what's going on over there? And and I said, norm, I'm up on top of my radio console here just writhing and singing. And uh so from that effect, so from there on in he and I just had this this wonderful on air chemistry. Yeah. And and I kicked myself oftentimes but for but I also feel regret. One of the things that I never did was I didn't I never called up Norman and said, let me take you to lunch, you know, let's let's hang out for a while. So while we did well, we were at several social occasions together, a couple of birthday parties and one of two weddings, I did not socialize with him you know, Tony Tony Nesbitt had a great relationship with Norm, and he spent a lot of time with him. But I did not, I did not take advantage of the of the opportunity to spend any personal time, spend any significant personal time with Norm, and I regret that he was a wonderful person. We had an awful lot of fun on his show with things just happened to click. He would come up with a with a bit and he might clue me in a little bit about what, you know, what might be kind of fun to do. Sometimes things just just happened on the air. But people thought that we had scripted things out and so forth, and it was just one of those things that you know, it's one in a million kind of situations whereby, you know, just just two people ended up working out, working very well together and having you know, probably more fun than I've ever had.
Speaker 2: And Patrick, let me tell you my quote unquote radio career began with and through Norm Nathan.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Summer of nineteen eighty Norm was working at WHDH. I can mention they call letters because they don't exist anymore. But he had a Saturday evening show where he played trivia, and he had a core of people who were everyday people, not radio people, just Joe and Jane radio listeners that could come on and interact on this show. I had just written a book called The TV Cartoon Trivia Book, which was my introduction into being used by Norm, and I was one of the core of regulars Marty man Asian, Bernie Corbett. I'm trying to think of the other people, but the point of it is being on that show led for me getting a taste of radio and loving it. And Norm in the fall left HDH and went to RKO and did mornings over there, and I asked him, can I try to keep the trivia thing going? He said, Morgan, do whatever you want. It's available to you. If you think you can make it work, make it work. And I wound up going to wun R sixteen hundred on the AM dial, the worst time slot in radio, Monday mornings two am to four am. Oh boy, that was my time slot, my show talking trivia. Fortunately, there was a baseball strike and that baseball strike led wits having a lot of time to fill because they couldn't have baseball no red Sox. I then shifted from un r to its and the rest is history. And it was because because of Norm primarily and David Brudnoy, that I get the boost to get into the radio world of Boston. That's the story. That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's great. That was before I was in Boston. So how long did Norm do that morning show then on our KO Just.
Speaker 2: A couple of years and then he came over to BZ.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and did he remind me, did he do just weekend nights or weekday nights as well, because it's hard to tell from the podcast, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sometimes would fill in for Bob Rawley, Okay.
Speaker 2: Like I'm filling in now for Dan Ray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I always look forward to you filling in to Dan. I'm mad. I don't like I don't like talking politics on the radio, and I just love your show and love when you fill in and love when Jack is there.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Kinny. We try to be friends in the night here, all right.
Speaker 2: Patrick, thank you for your call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you guys.
Speaker 2: All right, enjoy the rest of your weekend, and believe it or not, Jack, I have another break to take so we can pick up on the end of your Boston massacre story and then do the tour as if you're driving the bus. Sure, if anyone else they wants to do what Patrick just did six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty eight, eight, eight, nine to nine, ten thirty will get you through two. Here to Night's Side. I'm filling in for Dan Ray. I'm Morgan. That's Jack Hart and time and temperature ten forty five still seventy nine degrees.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Jack Hart is here and not telling us about the highways and byways of Greater Boston. He's here to talk about history. But you know what, Jack, of all the people listening right now, Norm Nathan's daughter is listening. She called in during the break, and I think we've put a smile on her face hearing us say pleasant things about her dad. It was a broadcasting legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fifty years in the business are actually little more than fifty years in the business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and nobody did radio. I mean we all put our own unique spin on it, but nobody did radio the way Norm did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. People don't you know there's sport. There are an awful lot of people who who've been in radio over the years, but very few get as many mentions as Norm has. You know, people asking about memories of Norm.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he was a very pleasant man both to know and to listen to and watch. Don't forget back in the days of HDH having both a TV and radio presence, he was on on Channel five periodically in different ways, and you get to see Norm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he did like a real estate show. At some point, I look at people's houses are there? And oh, you.
Speaker 2: Do a very good Norm imitation.
Speaker 1: Well, I listened to Norm for an awful long time, and you know, we've got similar similar vocal qualities. Hello, it was a little bit more imagine late I add, you know.
Speaker 2: And way to go, old sporting way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we had fun.
Speaker 2: All right, let's we left it hanging. So let's finish the busted massacre story and go on to other things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll quickly tell you a little bit about some of the people who were who were killed at the thing. So you got about three hundred people down there, A lot of these people. It's my contention that these were all people who worked for Sam and John and so a Christmas attics. He was the first one killed. So who was Christmas Atic. Christmas Atics was nearly fifty years old at the time as late forties, was born, about as old as Sam Adams at the same time. They were both born in seventeen twenty. He was born in Framingham and his mother was a Natick Indian and she lived in a praying Indian town and the and his father was a It's unclear. I've looked a number of different sources. It's unclear whether his father was an enslaved person or a freeman in the area. It's unclear what the relationship was between the mother and the father and Christmas. As Attics had done mister Addicks, who worked in he had been enslaved in different places, but by the time he by the time of the Boston massacre, he was a free man living in There was a black community in right around Cops Hill in the North End, about a thousand people living in there a time, mostly laborers and so and and he would work for Sam Adams and other and other people who who owned ships as a merchant sailor when when that work was available, but with various sanctions and things going on, he didn't have an awful lot of that. So we'd go across the bridge to Charlestown over and work over at John Gray's wrote rock over there, roAP factory over there, and he was, like I said, it was nearly fifty years old at the time. And now Sam Gray, who was there, was probably related to John Gray, it's not clear. He was the second person killed. He was killed right on the spot and he had been in a different kind of trouble before, probably because he was involved in some of these little riots and things that were going on. And so now the other three Patrick Carr was an indentured servant from Ireland, and the other two Samuel Samuel Maverick and James Caldwell, they were teenagers. They were seventeen eighteen years old though, So those are the people who were killed, and then the others who were injured. It no real clear indication as to who they were. But at any rate, so now everybody's British down there. Everybody's British.
Speaker 2: So John Ann, we all were British. Boston was an extension of Britain, that's right.
Speaker 1: It was just England the only thing. We just didn't have any representation in parliament, and that's what everybody was doing. Here, and everybody was happy that building a new world essentially for the benefit of England, and everybody was good until until the Charles the Third came along, and George the Third came along. George the Third. Currently it's Charles the third. George the third came along, and he had the Seven Years War that had or the French and Indian Wars we called it around here, went into cost overruns, and he had other financial issues over there in England. He was very jinguistic about his British nests and kind of thought that the people in the colonies and other places were just sort of hillbillies and bumpkins, and thought that he could stick his chest out and make all these rules and laws. In Parliament was feeling the same way, and so that's that's that, this is the this is the genesis of the of the issue. Everything has caused and effect so at any rate, now, Sam John Adams's he's an attorney, he's a young attorney. And there's another attorney in town, Josiah Quincy. And there were several Josiah Quincy's over the course in time. But this Josiah Quincy was a young lawyer and he didn't have enough background, I didn't have enough experience that he felt to be involved in the case with these with these eight soldiers, because now these soldiers, they're they're considered to be charged with.
Speaker 2: Murder, and they needed representations.
Speaker 1: They need a representation, they need a representation in court. So John Adams I contend that he was a bit of an opportunist and he saw an opportunity because at seventeen seventy, this is year, this is several years before the war itself. People are still on the fence. Most people are still they're protesting against England. But only a small group of these people are interested in starting a new country. And John was not was not necessarily John Adams was not necessarily interested in starting a new country. He thought it might put him in good stead with with with the without the England if if he uh defended these uh eight soldiers. He's eight soldiers. So he did and uh all and uh six of them were acquitted of all charges and the other two were were found guilty on lesser charges manslaughter charges essentially. And for their punishment they were branded on the hand and sent back to England.
Speaker 2: Wow, and you think that Karen Reid case was busy. That's exactly right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And so that's so that's the that is uh, that's the Boston massacre or the incident on King Street in a nutshell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they didn't call it that in England. It's like you go below the Mason Dixon line. They still don't like the phrase of wars or be wix the states.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right. Yeah. So yeah, so this was the incident on King Street and so yeah, that was the You know, there's a lot more to it. You could actually talk about the Boston massacre for days on end and debate it and dispute it.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's giving it a good thirty five minutes. Yeah, and I want to get back on the tour bus. And I do want to get at least five or six stops on the bus and brought to thirty eight states in Canada through our discussion. So we'll get into that next hour. Okay, but what is going to be our first stop? We went out of order by jumping up to the Boston mascer beginning at the Old State House. But what traditionally is your first stop.
Speaker 1: We start out at the Long Long Wharf down near the new England Aquarium. We'll talk about that.
Speaker 2: That's where we will begin. You've got to wear your other hat, because three minutes into the news you're going to be telling people about the highways and byways that try.
Speaker 1: You're going to be talking about some issues down and near the Cape of.
Speaker 2: Cod and compromised drivers, as you have been known to put it. That's right, Okay, well let me get out the way so we can begin little news, a little traffic, a little weather here on night side. My name is Morgan. By the way, that's Jack Hart. You should know that by now, and I might as well just throw it to Rob Brooks, who as my producer, and once I say these magic words, he will push buttons so you'll hear maybe a commercial or two here on night side. Time and temperature ten fifty eight and seventy nine degrees