Speaker 1: A couple months ago, I made a video about a GMRS user who had petitioned the FCC to add low band frequencies low band VHF somewhere between the thirty and fifty megahertz range low band frequencies to the GMRS spectrum for a new band and new set of frequencies for GMRS users. This same individual has written another petition to the FCC where he indicates that he is against repeater linking of GMRS repeaters. Check this out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Admittedly, admittedly he sent me so, mister Michael Trejos, he saw my first video about his proposal. I made a video about his proposal to the FCC to add VHF low band frequencies, which I sent him. So he emailed me after he saw that video and gave me some details about his background, and he sent me a link to the article we're going to read today, and I replied to him and I said, has there been any new news, any movement on this proposal to the FCC And I'm waiting to hear back on that. Don't have any further updates on that. I certainly hope to get further updates on that soon. And we will make another video about that. But he sent me a link to this article right here, and I went in and had and this is like a several page article. It's like all of this in here, and he does links to stuff in there and this whole thing, okay, And I will link this in the description.
Speaker 2: Blow. You guys can go read the whole thing if you want to.
Speaker 1: But I put this into groc Ai, and I had groc Ai summarize this for me.
Speaker 2: We marveled at our own magnificence as we gave birth to AI.
Speaker 1: AI can be a useful tool, but it should not be an end all, be all answer to everything. So just use it accordingly. And that's what I've done here, Okay, So summarize of this entire article over here on the FCC's website this pdf file. On April twenty fifth of this year, Michael Trehost, a physician, certified telecommunications engineer, and veteran FCC participant with oly over fifty years in radio comms, including the oldest act of GMRS license. Oh okay, submitted a reply comments opposing the proposed deletion of Rules forty seven CFR Part ninety five here here and here These rules prohibit GMRS stations from interconnecting with public switched networks, in other words, connecting over the Internet or over telephone lines encompassing wireline RF Internet and sew your links except for transmitter control. Proposed items from NPRM promoting deregulation under the Executive Orders fourteen and fourteen two nineteen aiming to enable wide area linking of GMRS repeater systems. And if you go back to this original article here, and he's talking about in matter of delete delete lead, which we did a video about last few months ago as well. Now admittedly, okay, I fully admit when I first got this link from him, I thought he was talking about petitioning the FCC to allow GMRS repeater linking. He has petitioned the FCC to disallow, which they have done already. They've already disallowed repeater linking. Some people still do it. I don't know how they get away with it, but I mean, you know, FCC's got a lot on their plate whatever. But I was a little bit surprised with his arguments behind this, and I don't think I agree with him one hundred percent. So let's read on and see what he has to say, let's see what kind of justification he makes for telling the FCC that they should not allow repeater linking. Key arguments against deletion. So he's arguing against deletion.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit. This, this legal eese is a little bit ambiguous.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you know, submitted reply comments posing the proposed deletion.
Speaker 2: Of rules of these rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, So someone has proposed to delete the rules that prevent GMRS repeaters linking, and he is opposing that proposal.
Speaker 2: Is what this is?
Speaker 1: Okay, Key arguments against deletion.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Trey Hose cited FCC proceedings starting with Docket two oh eight four six, which banned GMRS PSTN interconnections beyond control links control links where you could connect your GMRS repeater to the Internet and then control it somehow over the Internet, maybe with an app on your phone, or maybe through a web browser or something like that, beyond control links due to limited spectrum only eight repeater channels and risk of monopolization. This was reaffirmed in PR document blah blah blah blah blah, which updated terminology to PSN too explicitly barred voice transmissions via control links so, in other words, if you want to control it over the Internet via data and just in frequency change, peel tone, you know, reboot the system whatever. Okay, fine, but not for voice transmissions, spectrum scarcity and fair access. Allowing links would enable users to dominate channels, hindering shared use by some three hundred and sixty seven thousand GMRS licensees, Echoing nineteen seventies concerns from events like the nineteen seventy seven REACT convention where autopatch repeaters blocked access.
Speaker 2: I'm not familiar with that. It was fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: I don't think it really, you know, I mean, it's a historical significance, but as far as today, I'm not sure how well that applies legal and economic risk. Interconnection would create a pseudo common carrier service, violating this section, enabling theft of service under eighteens this section. This could allow one user to link systems for many others without individual subscriptions, defrauding carriers like defrauding carriers like Verizon, AT and T who have historically opposed such practices. Okay, I'm not sure what he's talking about. Where AT and T and Verizon we have problems with linked repeaters. But we do that in him radio all the time, all Star echo link linked repeaters, no problem. There's no problem there. And I understand what he's saying about limited spectrum because GMRS only has eight separate frequencies for repeater use. They have sixteen frequencies for simplex use which are shared with FRS users, and eight frequencies for repeater use, which actually those eight repeater frequencies are shared with the simplex frequencies as well, So I see where he's coming from here. However, However, if you are a repeater owner and you want to link your repeater to another repeater, I think you should be able to do it. And if you want to unlink, if it becomes too big of a system or someone gets on there and starts abusing it, you unlink your repeater.
Speaker 2: What's the problem.
Speaker 1: It's going to be on the repeater owner to keep control and maintain control of that. But that's true for every repeater owner everywhere. You'd already be doing that. If you're going to spend your money to put a repeater in the air, you should be able to do what you want to with it. I realize there's a lot more to it than just that, okay, But as a general rule, I pretty much support repeater linking in GMRS, and I don't really understand why they have.
Speaker 2: I understand his key points here.
Speaker 1: He's got one other key point that I'm going to get to here in a second, and then I'm going to read you the exact document.
Speaker 2: But I understand where he's coming from.
Speaker 1: But to me, that means his arguments seem to ride on the fact that repeater owners aren't managing their own repeaters correctly, which if you're going to become a repeater owner, you need to be able to do that. So you need to be willing to do that, I should say so, whether you're a repeater owner, you have a base station set up, or you have some sort of GMRS radio run in your car. Today's video sponsor is Messi and Plony co Acts. Messi and Plonikoacs is some of the best coacs made for radio communications in him radio, but it works wonderfully well on GMRS and UHF stations as well. You can always save a ten percent discount on everything by Messi Andploony, their tools, their connectors, their coacts, all of their gear with the coupon code of HR two cables at the link in the description below, so check that out. Check out Mezzi Andploiny coacs if you want to upgrade the co acs on your GMRS station. Thank you MESSI employee for sponsoring this channel. The last point he makes here is tree host notes that proponents GMRS clubs and individuals overtook this fifty year regulatory history, including the FCC's consistent stance on PSN's broad definition now including four G, five G and six G and Internet conclusion. Tree hos urges the FCC to retain the rules to protect gmris's limited resources and preventive use, emphasizing that deregulation here would undermine equitable, equitable access and invite enforcement challenges. Enforcement challenges. Yes, the repeater owner is going to have to enforce what's happening on his own repeater. If you're gonna spend money on the repeater, you should already kind of be in that mindset in my opinion, he says, from the cellular industry, I still don't understand what he means by I don't understand what a cell network has to do with repeaters being linked over cell networks First of all, there's a lot of GMRS repeater sites I would assume, just like HAM radio or repeater sites that don't use cell networks at all. They use like a basic ISP and some of them might use some of them that are more remote might use cell sites. But how are we able to use all star necolink with no problems at all?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Again, nothing from the cellular industry at all in HAM radio, but not in GMRS radio. He served copanies to twenty eight stakeholders, including GMRS advocates, Verizon attorneys, and industries like the CTIA. Okay, and that is everything that GROC had to say about this article. But I wanted to read you one section of this article here the conclusion right there. Since nineteen seventy six to date, the FCC has had consistent legislative record regarding the prohibition of GMRS transmissions over public switching telephone networks. Since nineteen seventy six in the docket two eight four six and to present date, the Commission has made it absolutely clear that the term PSTN now PSN was to include wireline and non wireline radio frequency RF connection, which today has evolved into the Internet and four g I would okay, maybe, okay, okay, maybe the common carrier cellular industry has been vehement throughout their history of preventing theft of service and their use of Title eighteen USC. Forty seven blah blah blah to prosecute theft of service were applicable.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So he's talking about theft of service as in your repeaters linked to another repeater or someone links to you through an all Star type system, and then they take over your repeater and basically take service away from you because they've linked it to their system and now there's activities going on that are outside of your area. That just simply means the repeater owner should disconnect from that service. There's a way to do that. You can do that via internet connection, you can do that via DTMF tones. There's multiple ways to disconnect or repeater from another linked repeater over the Internet, and this would require repeater owners to take responsibility for their own repeater. So this seems like a thin argument to me. I understand what he's saying, and I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm just saying it seems like a thin argument to me. Therefore, I'm quite confident that the common carrier segar industry will fight to prevent this fight to prevent this theft of service from happening in GMRS with the wide area both interstate and interstate and intrust date linking of GMS repeater system and possibly all amateur radio networks that use PSN interconnection versus amateur radio RF linking. So okay, so now he's going after. Now he's going after amateur radio sort of in a roundabout passive aggressive way right there, Possibly all amateur reasradio networks that use a PSN. Well, I could tell you right now. Amateur radio repeater owners definitely take control of their amateur radio repeaters. Sometimes they piss people off. Actually, and it's his repeater. He should be able to say what.
Speaker 2: But no, no.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think that this is a good argument at all. In closing, I firmly believe that the FCC must continue to prohibit the linking of GMRS repeaters and keep in full force the effect of this as stated by the Commission back in nineteen seventy six, which is still valid today. Spectrum availability and GMRS is limited, and as such, permitting interconnection with the PSN for anything other than transmitter control would be extremely detrimental to the ability of all users to have effective and efficient access and use all of the GMRS eight, the eight GMRS four hundred and sixty two megahrz repeater channels without them being monopolized by those wanting to link repeaters to create wide area interstate communications networks. Exclamation point again. I see where he's coming from. I understand what he's saying. I think he's off base. Maybe they should create one or two of those eight channels for specifically linking, and then channel twenty two or channel twenty one or whatever, you know, pick one this repeater channel is used for linking all the rest of them or not. Maybe that's an answer to that. Okay, but if you're gonna go after amateur radio, amateur radio has been RF linking or RF linking repeaters and Internet connecting linking repeaters for a couple of decades. Now, okay, this is not something new in amateur radio, and we don't have a limited repeater range the way that GMRS does. GMRS has one band on UHF around four hundred and sixty two megahertz, with eight different frequencies that are used for repeater use. M radio can use repeaters on multiple bands ten meters six meters, two meters two twenty one point twenty five meter for our for forty seventy centimeter band, which is just right below the gmrs BAN one hundred megahertz one point two giga hurts. Okay, we can use. There's multiple frequencies on multiple bands that we can use as repeater linking. So this whole takeover and monopolized thing, sure it can happen, Sure, but you've got one hundred other places you could go if you have one repeater that's been taken over and monopolized by a rogue system.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 1: Also, if you know the DTMF tones that are standard in all Star Link and Hamvoid, you can disconnect and connect repeaters at will, even if you don't own the repeater. I can drive up to any all Star repeater right now and hit Star three and the five digit code for another repeater somewhere else and connect it. And then I can hit Star one in that code again to disconnect it. So amateur radio control operators, you should id when you do that. By the way, amateur radio control operators can don't necessarily have to be the repeater owner, so we can We can already do that. I'm not sure exactly how it works. I never messed with actually linking and unlinking repeaters and gmrs. I don't own any GMRS repeaters, so I never really tried that myself, so I'm not sure exactly how that worked, but I assume it's probably a similar feature, some sort of DTMF tone that would disconnect and reconnect repeaters. So what do you guys think about this? Are you in favor of the FCC telling us that we cannot link GMRIS repeaters or do you think that's bogus? And do you think repeater linking should be allowed? I tend to lean on the side of repeater linking should be allowed, and if they want to regulate it to one or two channels, then great. But I don't particularly like someone telling me what I can and can't do with a repeater that I spent money on. That's my stance. Let me know if you have a different stance in the comments. Blow And if you enjoyed this video, check out these videos over here where YouTube thinks you want to go next.
Speaker 2: Seventy three