Speaker 1: Welcome aboard Bus one. We're on our way to Seattle, Washington, and we've got some time to kill. Let's do some trivia. Passengers, introduce yourselves.
Speaker 2: I'm Cooper, I'm Mac, and I'm Mitch.
Speaker 1: And I'm Steven. Now I've touched the theme for today's trivia a secret from all of you. We don't do this a lot anymore, which I you know, I kind of miss so I thought i'd keep it a secret. With the location, we're headed to Seattle, Washington. Any guesses that is relevant to the topic relevant Rain. I would like a water cycle episode, but that would be too similar.
Speaker 3: So I have no idea. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: The Seattle Mariners. Marie is around the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair. You know the Seattle Mariners. They do have an arena. That's not the case. Mac, can you think of anything related to Seattle.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm guessing space needle. I'm guessing skyscraper, or maybe like.
Speaker 1: Weird restaurants the heavens, Yes, weird restaurants. Okay, Well, I guess I'll spoil it. Today's well, at some point, you know, I have to spoil it. Today's topic is caffeine. Seattle is considered the coffee capital of the US and is the city in the US that consumes the most caffeine capital. Wow, so today we're going to be talking all about caffeine, the most popular drug in its various forms.
Speaker 2: Well, sorry to break it to you guys, but I think I'm addicted to caffeine. So I might have a one up on all of you.
Speaker 4: How much do you know about your drug of choice?
Speaker 2: Match? I I you know what, In honesty, I don't know a lot. All I know is that I'm a to it.
Speaker 1: Well you're gonna learn, So let's get into these rules. There will be three rounds with five questions each. Getting questions right in round one will earn you one caffeine coin, I like calling the points coinsine. Round two two caffeine coins. Round three get this three caffeine coins. That is, unless you take advantage of this episode's gimmick, the hype mechanic. Consuming lots of caffeine will get you hyper. So getting multiple questions correct in a row will earn you extra caffeine coins. For each question you get correct in a row, you will earn an additional caffeine coin. So like, if you get one coin for the first question, then two for the next question, and then three for the third question.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there an episode kind of like this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we in a millionaires, but there's no streak. It's just you know, if you get on a hot streak, you're gonna get a lot of caffeine coins.
Speaker 3: Then is there a bad part? Is there a crash for the caffeine in this In this.
Speaker 1: Case, I have not incorporated the caffeine.
Speaker 5: There are no downside, just like there are no downsides to drinking too much caffeine.
Speaker 1: We're also including a challenge question. So once per game, I will lie about the correct answer and you will have one shot to guess. If you incorrectly challenge, you will lose three caffeine coins, and if you challenge in the moment incorrectly, you'll only lose one. So I incorporated that because I like that mench because I like encouraging challenging in the moment. But if you correctly challenge the question I made up, you will earn three cafe pin fine coins and the coins you would have gotten for the question, and you have to challenge. So no matter what I'm making new challenge, you might as well challenge during the We're using the buzzer this game, so first person the buzz will be the first person to answer. No outside media or material to help you answer questions, I know, googling. Person to earn the most caffeine coins by the end of the game will get to have dinner with Howard Schultz, the former three time CEO and chairman of Starbucks and also former owner of Seattle SuperSonics.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I don't know if I want that.
Speaker 4: Would you rather have two hundred and fifty thousand dollars or dinner?
Speaker 1: You want to have dinner?
Speaker 2: The money? Definitely the money.
Speaker 1: But you'll also win the trip.
Speaker 4: Think of how much priceless knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll spend the whole the whole time talking about how poor I am and how.
Speaker 4: Did you invent coffee? That's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame niche Oh really, yeah, along with Jay Z and other artists. You might earn his respect as well as Think about that. I guess that's to you.
Speaker 2: I'd we haven't even gotten a single question.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's not ask any further questions about the rules. Let's get right into this, and we're starting off with a bonus question.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all right.
Speaker 4: Why you Does this count towards the This does.
Speaker 1: Count towards the hype you can start building. Might as well be real, but it's not related to the first round, so bonus question. This is just generally about caffeine. Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant and is the most commonly consumed psychoactive substance globally, with eugarogic, nootropic, and erganizing the properties properties. Caffeine naturally occurs as a true alkaloid, meaning it is produced by plants to discourage their consumption by herbivores and to encourage pollination from select animals such as honeybees. And humans are part of that list as well. Caffeine is not the only true alkaloid, which are the following chemicals? Is not a true alkaloid A capsaicin, B, morphine, C, nicotine or D cuianine? I got Cooper, I'll say nicotine. That is incorrect, mac.
Speaker 3: I will say cuianine. Whatever the last one we need?
Speaker 1: That is also incorrect. Which which one is not a true cal alkaloid? Is it capsaicin or morphine?
Speaker 2: Morphine?
Speaker 1: The correct answer is cap saicines and peppers. So for a chemical to be considered a true alkaloid, it needs to be naturally occurring organic compound containing nitrogen in like a ring. So come on, guys, I don't know why you didn't know that. Another thing is that they also uniformly taste very bitter, and I wouldn't really describe casteasin as bitter, but they serve a similar function.
Speaker 3: It's morphine better.
Speaker 1: Apparently morphine is bitter. They uniformally they serve a similar function, being that they discourage mammals and insects from consuming them, encouraging pollination or consumption from animals that can spread their offspring. And I guess humans are part of that list too. Now that you know what caffeine is, let's spend the rest of episode talking about how people like to drink it. Yeah, getting into round one. Round one coffee spelt backwards as epoch, which is funny. Have you guys seen that video? That's really bad? It's one of my It was one of my stems at one point. Did I be watching videos? Question one cushion tip? Have you guys seen this video? Dude? Coffee spelled back which is funny question One. Coffee has an academically disputed origin, but there is one popular legend on the discovery of coffee. How is coffee allegedly discovered? In ninth century Ethiopia? A a sultan witnessed birds of unusual vitality feeding on the berries. B A goat herder observed his flock consuming the berries and tried some himself. See one pilgrim on the journey to Mecca accidentally consumed the misidentified berries and was able to make the journey in record time. Or d Lightning struck a berry bush, which produced a pleasant fragrance, prompting a local farmer to try.
Speaker 4: It all bangers is all really good?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mac. What do you think I'm going.
Speaker 3: To guess the journey to Mecca one? Because you said it's like a popular legend, so I feel like it's gonna be like Ethiopia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is incorrect.
Speaker 3: I made them one sad. That's a good one, Thank you, Mitch.
Speaker 2: What do you think you mentioned like a goat herder twice? What was the first mentioned of the goat farmer?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Did I first? One? Was a sultan witnessed birds of unusual vitality fleeting on his berries. The second one was a goat herder observed his flock consuming the berries. So I mentioned berries twice.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'd say that one the goat herder.
Speaker 1: And that would be correct. I you're starting your streak here. The story didn't appear until the sixteen hundreds, so it is likely apocryphal. But coffee did indeed originate in the Middle East, where it spreads to Europe and the rest of the world, doing it to conquest. Despite originating in the Middle East and having deep cultural significance, coffee was sometimes seen as haram due to its drug like properties, which is why tea is more popular in the Middle East today. And the Church of Latter day Saints would agree with them, and that is they all, yeah, hey, maybe we'll get into that later question two. As I mentioned, coffee spread all throughout Europe in the sixteen hundreds, where it rapidly became popular, especially with the upper crust. Match the following countries to their contributions to coffee culture. So I have, yeah, I have four countries and then four innovations that they produced in Europe, So Serbia, Austria, Netherlands, in Italy, those are the four countries, okay, and the innovations are the first coffee house in Europe, the first cultivation of coffee beans in Europe, the popularization of adding milk and sugar to coffee, and the creation of steam driven pressure coffee maker.
Speaker 3: Oh man, sorry, what was it again?
Speaker 1: Serbia, Serbia, Austria, Netherlands, Italy.
Speaker 6: I think I got one for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know, because I feel like all of these countries have such a like specific kind of coffee or you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, they're they're all associated with coffee, but each of them have their own kind of innovation. I'm drinking my own coffee.
Speaker 3: I saw the rep You're themed very well this episode.
Speaker 1: I may or may not have multiple beverages lined up here for to drink.
Speaker 4: You're gonna be hype for sure. Oh man, I'm gonna build my own hype meter. Should I go make my own cup of tea? I don't drink coffee.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah you can if you want to, if we take.
Speaker 4: A break, Okay, I'm ready, Yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go in alphabetical order. Cooper, what do you have?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: I think you're trying to be a little tricky. Sorry, Mitch, Steven's the tricky one. I think you put them in order. Oh, first coffee house, Austria, first cultivation, Netherlands adding milk and sugar, and Italy steam driven.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mac, what do you think I got?
Speaker 3: Serbia beans, Austria steam, Netherlands milk, Italy house.
Speaker 2: I was close to that. I said Serbia, cultivation, Austria, milk and sugar, Italy the first coffee house, and Netherlands steam coffee.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you had any of them the same.
Speaker 6: Mac and I both said Netherlands, right, Netherlands, Oh never mind, like Mac never mind?
Speaker 2: Okay, absolutely nothing like Mac.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll give that one. The Cooper I wasn't. Yeah, perfect, so uh. Serbia was the home of the first coffee house. Austria is where they popularized adding milk and sugar to coffee. Netherlands is where they actually first cultivated coffee. You know, they're pretty big on greenhouses over there, so they did that there.
Speaker 7: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And then Italy was the creation of the pressure coffee maker.
Speaker 4: Oh so I got none of all three of them. Three of them. It's impossible to get three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, two of them? So nice work. Speaking of which, question three, I would play Sabrina Carpenter's espresso leading into this question if it didn't get me. Copyright struck Espresso is just highly concentrated coffee brewed under high pressure and heat, and literally translates in Italian to pressed out. Espresso is extremely Italian, and like many sacred Italian culinary arts, it is heavily regulated. The East to Tuto Espresso Italiano is the official body that determines if a borrow serves certified Italian espresso. Which of the following is not part of the standards for certified Italian espresso? Is it A? Each shot should use approximately seven grams of beans and should produce about twenty five to thirty millimeters of coffee.
Speaker 2: Is it B.
Speaker 1: The water pressure should be nine bar heated to eighty eight to ninety two degrees celsius. An extraction should take between twenty five to thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: Is it C.
Speaker 1: The body should be full bodied and intense, with hints of chocolate and caramel, while the crema should be thick, compact, and hazel nut colored or d The espresso cups should be thick, walled porcelain and preheated to sixty five to seven eight degrees celsius, Mitch.
Speaker 2: What was c again?
Speaker 1: The body should be full bodied, intense, with hints of chocolate and caramel, while the crama should be thick, compact and hazel nut colored.
Speaker 2: I mightst say that and you would be correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the flavor of the body, Okay, I made it a little too obvious.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: The flavor of the body actually differs regionally. In northern Italy they prefer lighter, medium roasted coffee with thloral or spicy notes, while in Southern Italy they prefer the aforementioned full bodied, in intense as espresso, which is kind of influenced by the coffee they have in the UH in Middle East and Mediterranean. Mit hype, Oh you're hype.
Speaker 4: I'm already on my way back down.
Speaker 1: It's okay, one of these times, you guys are going to make it, take advantage of it. They're also strict social stigmas surrounding the consumption of espresso is drunk, standing at a bar and usually after meals. The price is also culturally set at one euro per cup, and exceeding it can get you in deep trouble with the locals. The way espresso bar stay afloat at one euro perc cup is basically by doing everything illegally and through collop corrupt supply chains, which is very Italian.
Speaker 6: So wow, that's it's kind of funny.
Speaker 2: It's similar to the in the fashion episode the ocatur question of as very like stringent requirements to be considered, like, oh, yeah, have you ever heard of hopefully? This is one of your questions, Steven. Have you ever heard of Brew Watches?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I haven't, Okay, So it's this micro brand, I think from New York City and they make I think automatic watches that have like a set timer on them of the perfect time to make an expresso. So it's like specifically for people who love expresso, because you know, there are some people out there who like love espresso machine, the huge expresses, and I think those watches are for I took a look at them, but I'm like, I don't drink enough espresso, nor do I even have an expresso machine to like care this much.
Speaker 4: You don't want to have a timer that's like perfectly right espresso shaped one.
Speaker 2: The one watch that I did think, Seiko made a metronome watch that I thought was pretty cool I've been on that one.
Speaker 4: Can you change the BPM?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Sick, that's cool. Well, hopping off a question three. Question four seeking to bring Italian coffee culture to America, Howard Schultz took over and aggressively expanded Starbucks in the late eighties. This is a laughable notion nowadays because of the culture that they actually pioneered, being morning milkshakes. Large American coffee chains such as Starbucks are primarily responsible for iced coffee taking off and becoming more popular than hot coffee around the world. But for many, coffee is just a vessel for the real vice, sugar and cream. And so out of the eight drinks, I will name two or fake, you get to choose two, and for each fake you guess, you'll get a caffeine coin. And if you get any, that'll keep your hype up.
Speaker 2: So oh okay, I'm the only well, I mean, people get their stars drinks.
Speaker 4: Starbucks does, except for the first one gets you hype for the second one.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. Uh you know what, if you get it, sure, I'll give it to That's impressive. It's very rare that people get too. So the options are dark barrel latte. They flavored to taste like guinness, b cookie dough, iced coffee, iced coffee with cookie dough syrup, and confusingly actual chunks of grainny cookie dough see fire cracker frappuccino recently added frozen drink dyed red, white and blue in case he thought they had any shame left. D Juniper latte, a seasonal item that tastes like a Christmas tree candle e cold brew lemonade half cold brew half lemonade like a coffee Arnold Palmers star strawberry funnel cake frappuccino. A frappuccino that tasted like a friended nutri grain before gee, which is brew crim frappuccino, A seasonal item. A purple prappuccino with orange flavored cream and green chia seeds, green geia seeds, creation salted honey comb, cold foam cold brew flavored with non fat cold foam honey and way too much salt.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, Which, dude.
Speaker 1: Did I make up or pull from a different through them again to make sure I have them?
Speaker 4: Dark barrel latte, cookie dough, iced coffee, firecracker frappuccino Juniper Latt, cold brew lemonade, strawberry funnel cake prappuccino, Witches brew crem fat frappuccino, and salted honey cold foam.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's all of them. Okay, which two are the most like? Not Starbucks?
Speaker 4: I am not if you made up the cold brew lemonade. I am not letting you get away with that.
Speaker 2: Saying that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mac, did you work at Starbucks? Is that what you said?
Speaker 3: I worked at Barnes and Noble that had a Starbucks. So I made I think I made the witches one, and I think I know for almost one hundred percent certain I made the funnel like strawberry shortcake cream one.
Speaker 1: Well, you're narrowing it down for everyone here, so I am, oh, I guess I should have cut that.
Speaker 3: That's fine, that's cool though.
Speaker 1: I asked the questions, so you answer.
Speaker 3: I have my guests. I have ready. Okay, I think it's A and I think it's d I think it's I don't think they have a Guinness one.
Speaker 1: I feel like Dennis flavored one.
Speaker 3: No, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be crazy, Juniper.
Speaker 2: That would be greaty crazy.
Speaker 6: That makes me think it's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he said Juniper latte for his other one.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna say the guinness one and the cold brew lemonade.
Speaker 1: Okay, you can't let me get away with the cold brew lemonade.
Speaker 2: I agree. The cold brew lemonade just sounds disgusting, like why would they heard of it?
Speaker 4: I feel you've heard of you've heard of me.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I say that one.
Speaker 1: I know in Italy they do put lemon in their coffee. Sometimes Italians love putting lemon in things that don't need lemon.
Speaker 4: Lemonade.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna say the cookie dough drink sounds really weird. I'm gonna say the cookie one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mitch, you get one caffeine point. No one else gets.
Speaker 6: Any made up The cookie dough is made up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cookie dough is made up.
Speaker 6: Wait, the cold brew lemonade is.
Speaker 1: That's a real thing that they do real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's nasty.
Speaker 3: Wait, be Guinness is real and this is real. The candle one is real, Chris.
Speaker 1: The other fake one is fire cracker frappuccino. Yeah, I made that one up.
Speaker 3: Not patriotic at all.
Speaker 4: I forgot starter Bucks hates America exactly.
Speaker 1: And then the cookie do iced coffee. I pulled that from the dunkin Donuts menu because they like to do the more blatantly like sugary items. I used to work at dunkin Donuts and there are some nasty menu items.
Speaker 2: This is hand what what question number is this?
Speaker 1: This is question for So you got the last question right, so you just built type. You got an additional point.
Speaker 2: Lemon what was it cold lemonade?
Speaker 1: Okay, you think it could be the challenge?
Speaker 4: Don't write it down for later, do it now?
Speaker 6: I only lose one point three points. You all have like one right, you could only.
Speaker 1: Lose one point for challenging if you.
Speaker 4: You think colder leiminade is real, It's not that sounds Why would they do that?
Speaker 3: Have water in their front?
Speaker 2: You know what? I'm ahead, I'm ahead. This seem this seems suspect. So I'm and I only lose one if I get it wrong, right, yep, yep, I'm a challenge.
Speaker 1: Okay, drum roll please, Mitch, this was not the challenge. I list the list. I looked at the lists online where it's like, what are the worst Starbucks strengths You've ever had to make? And that was on there.
Speaker 2: Do I lose my hype at least?
Speaker 1: Uh? No, you could keep your hype. You didn't get that question right.
Speaker 4: Lemonade, hold the coffee, that's lemonade.
Speaker 6: Lemon Yeah, lemonade refresher. That's all I get from Starbucks, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Question five transitioning Does that kill ye?
Speaker 2: He said?
Speaker 1: Is he the question?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: He just you know, thought you a challenge. So transitioning into round two. East Asia is the birthplace of tea in the same way that Middle East is the birthplace of coffee, and tea is still popular in East Asia. But like how tea has become more popular in much of the Middle East, coffee has become much more popular in parts of East Asia. I said East Asia a lot. Despite having a tea tradition over one thousand years old. Japan is the third largest coffee market in the world. How did coffee take over Japan? Is it a? It was introduced by Americans during their occupation following World War Two, which gave it a Western connotation, causing it to be seen as a luxury during the Showa area. Right, I'm sorry, Mitch, that's incorrect. Yes, b Brazil has a massive Japanese diaspora and Japanese Brazilians brought the product and culture back to the homeland following World War Two. See Nessel ran a gorilla campaign by introducing coffee flavored candy such as kit kats to develop a childhood love of coffee in the seventies, which they used to sell instant coffee in the eighties and develop the phenomenon. D was introduced by Dutch traders in the sixteenth and seventeenth century as a health product, which slowly developed its own unique culture in the following centuries. Which one is real, Cooper.
Speaker 4: I'll say the Dutch one, because I know the Dutch had a whole thing with Japan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good guess. But that's incorrect. Yeah, dang, Mac, What do you think Is it the Brazilian diaspora or is it the nessl gorilla campaign.
Speaker 3: I think it's the Nestley gorilla campaign.
Speaker 1: And that would be correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is so, I got one. That's dude, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: What actually happened is Nestley reached out to a French psychologist as to why coffee wasn't popular with the Japanese and he basically said, well, they don't really have any preconceived emotional attachment or connection to it. So they played the long game by marketing a bunch of coffee flavored candies, including the newly designed coffee Kitcat, which is actually what sparked Japan's love of kit cats. If you know a lot about.
Speaker 6: Japan, I do they have a lot of kit cats.
Speaker 2: They have like.
Speaker 1: Crazy like KitKat culture. They have like KitKat bars and stuff. They did this in the sixties, and by the mid seventies when Nesli tried again, the coffee exploded and to this day, Ness Cafe instant coffee dominates about seventy percent of the market share for instant coffee in Japan. Coffee is also extremely popular in South Korea, the Philippines, and Taiwan.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, congrats Mac, you got a caffeine coin. Look, so before we get into round two, let's do a quick check. How many caffeine coins do you own?
Speaker 4: I am the proud owner of a single caffeine coin.
Speaker 1: Okay, big one one.
Speaker 2: I lost one, but that's okay, I've got three caffeine points.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, you were pretty dominant in that round. But let's see if your knowledge of cat fiend carries over into the next round. But first let me ask how do you like your coffee? What's your favorite coffee? Like, how do you like consuming coffee?
Speaker 4: I don't. I drink tea like a true British person.
Speaker 3: I'm big, big guy British person.
Speaker 1: True brit Okay, Mitch, do you like coffee?
Speaker 2: I really drink coffee out of like necessity more than anything. Well, you know, I don't love coffee. I drink it because I'm really tired, okay, and I need to wake up, So I admit I drink it with copious amounts of sugar and cream.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's okay, that's okay. I'm with you. I'm with you. I do like doing that. I like cold brew. I like a good latte every once in a while, but like a good fresh pot of coffee, like just with like you know, some half and half. Nothing else that can't be beat. It's hard to beat.
Speaker 2: One thing that I have not been able to get with is the cold foam. I cannot stand the cold pham. Not really not for me.
Speaker 4: I'll get frappuccinos, but get them cream based because I don't drink coffee.
Speaker 3: Oh, you don't like the taste. It's just that's just milkah for me.
Speaker 1: You know, I only developed like an appreciation for coffee after I worked at Dunkin Donuts, because I used to work there and then, you know, part of the perk is that you get free drinks and for you like donuts and whatever. So I would just experiment, and then I slowly kind of developed, like, Okay, I like the taste of this until I could drink more and more. Now I don't even like dunkin Donuts coffee that much, but I definitely got me into it. Cold brew combined with lemonade, Oh god, try, I still don't think that sounds goods around two. Something that's a little more up your guys's alley from the sounds of it. Plenty tent of fish in the tea Question six, keeping perfectly in line with round two, Let's talk about the Boston Tea Party. It was an act of protest in seventeen seventy three in response to the Tea Act, organized by the Sons of Liberty. They dressed as Native Americans and rated the dart Mouth, throwing three hundred and forty two chests of tea into the Boston Harbor. And the aftermath of the Boston Tea Party. Drinking tea was seen as an unpatriotic and drinking coffee was seen as patriotic, which is why to this day Americans prefer coffee. What you may not know is that there was a second, lesser known, Philadelphia Tea Party that took place nine days later on Christmas of seventeen seventy three. What act of protest did the Sons of Liberty do at the Philadelphia Tea Party? Was it a? They stole six hundred and twenty nine chests of tea overnight from the poly b They tarred and feathered Captain Arey's as a ship landed. See, they prevented Captain Aries from docking and made him sail back to England or d They did the same thing as the Boston Tea Party and just threw all of the tea overboard into the Delaware Bay. Mac, what do you think.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of tarring and feathering. I think that they did that, big fan.
Speaker 1: Big well, Mac, they did not stoop that.
Speaker 3: No, I think that outside the box.
Speaker 1: Mitch, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Can you repeat the one where they you just said that they turned them back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they prevented Captain Aries from docking and made him sail back to England.
Speaker 2: Did they like die because they wouldn't have had provisions or anything?
Speaker 6: Right, I think I think they were okay back then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they figure it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough. I guess I don't know that much about crossing the Atlantic. I'll go with I'll go with that. I could see them being like, no, like, you're not welcome here, Go go back to you came from.
Speaker 6: That's very American, that's very American.
Speaker 1: Well, that would be correct. They made him sail back to England. So they threatened him with tarring and feathering if he were to try and unload the British Tea. So that's where it actually comes in. They threatened him. Uh, so he ultimately agreed to turn the ship around. Philadelphia was heavily influenced by the Quakers, which is probably why the event was comparatively non violent, I mean threatening.
Speaker 2: Did the Boston Tea party did they kill anybody?
Speaker 1: I mean they threw some people overboard and they threatened them with axis. Yeah, Like there were people on the ship and they threw them all over the board and then threw all their tea off.
Speaker 2: And and yeah, I mean, you know, no one died, but people were injured for sure.
Speaker 1: Question seven, So, good job, Mack, you get to kafey me me me, Oh, good job, Mitch, you don't get to Cafe died.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is round two too, maybe.
Speaker 4: A round two the hype streak begins.
Speaker 2: But streak it begins with two.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, everyone gets two points for questions around two.
Speaker 6: No, but the hype the hype streak does not begin with two.
Speaker 1: Not to to too right, Yeah, it's two, and then the next question, if you get it right, you'll get three. I didn't realize I made such a confusing It begins that's what I'm saying, too, and then you square root Question seven. Americans do still drink tea, but kind of in their own way. About eighty percent of the tea Americans consume is iced sweet tea is a uniquely Southern tradition. My personal favorite way to drink iced tea is Arnold Palmer naming, named after the drink the legendary golfer always ordered when he was golfing. What was Arnold Palmer's preferred ratio of lemonade to tea?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, I was gonna do multiple, but clo I'll do closest. What was his preferred ratio?
Speaker 4: His preferred ratio?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I could be different, Cooper, what's your guest?
Speaker 4: I am familiar with the official Arnold Palmer drinking half and half. However, Arnold Palmer, I think, how did he like it? He probably was higher on the ic tea side, So I would say a little bit of a let's do sixty five thirty five?
Speaker 1: Okay, so like sixty five percent sweet iced tea.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know what measurement, very technical ratio. I don't know what kind of measurement he could be doing to make it that.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair. You could do like two thirds or something. Well, I mean I was close. It's close to two yeah, yeah, Mac, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess? Seventy five percent iced tea, twenty five percent lemonade lemonade, three parts okay, and then one part Yeah there we go? Sure, sure, okay, a full drink right there?
Speaker 2: Do you think before I tell you, I'll tell you how I like it, which is just a little tiny splash of tea and the wrestle probably like iced t is how I do it. But I think I might have benefited. I just saw TikTok. I think it was like an espn ad of like Arnold Palmer like came up to an uh a lemonade in an iced tea like container, and he like got himself to Arnold Palmer, and then two guys were like, man, that was awesome, and that was like I guess the espn ad.
Speaker 6: But I think that he did it fifty to fifty. I don't say fifty, is it official?
Speaker 1: Fifty? So the correct answer is one third lemonade, two third on sweet iced tea. So I'll give it to both Cooper and Mac because he preferred anywhere from sixty like one third to seventy five percent iced tea in islamits well two thirds iced tea too, Uh what three quarters iced tea in Islamity?
Speaker 4: Sixty five thirty five is quite a bit closer to.
Speaker 1: Well, No, I would have accepted anywhere between, you know, two thirds iced tea and three fourths iced tea. So Mac got the higher under at the lower and yeah, so you guys are both in that range, So I'll give you both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as long as we stop Mitch's streak.
Speaker 2: You just did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got one there, bro really said iced tea.
Speaker 2: That's how I did.
Speaker 1: But Mitch's credit. Most of the time, if you ask for an Arnold Palmer, they'll give you a fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: Well that's the that's like what Yeah.
Speaker 2: This ad, this this ad that I saw, because I could have sworn he did fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well maybe that's just for the ad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was funny he sell their product. He went from one and then stopped it once to the other. He went back and forth between the two. So that's why I thought it was fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: Make sure it was fifty to fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of folklore around the creation at the drink, but it all conflicts, and Arnold Palmer himself was embarrassed by the name for the concoction. Really long after the established name of the drink was Arnold Palmer, he refused to call it that, basically explaining what the drink was to his server every time he ordered it. He's like, so, I want you to make two thirds on sweet iced tea and then I have one third lemonade, right like a Palmer No, no, no, that's like every interaction would go down and like he was always asking for this drink. So he did this like multiple times a day.
Speaker 2: That's for mine. That's how I asked for my preferred cocktail. I don't think it has a name, so I just asked for what I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, only started calling it an Arnold Palmer much later in life when the battle was long.
Speaker 2: Uh No, it's uh, it's like two shots of oh god, drink of choice.
Speaker 1: You get you're on their own concoction. Okay, I'm sure your cocktail recipe here.
Speaker 2: Okay, what uh? Why can't I remember the name of the almond liqueur It's motto thank you. No, it's not yep. So it's like two shots of amoretto the rest of pineapple, and then a little tiny little bit of why am I blanking on the damn name? I ca and think I need my caffeine.
Speaker 1: I can't curse how bitters.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's vodka like what you put in Shirley Temples.
Speaker 4: Oh oh, sprite grenadine.
Speaker 6: Grenadine though, Justine.
Speaker 3: Dude, I love ameretto. That sounds amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I give it a try, give it t Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also a fun fact about American iced tea. Prior to World War Two, the US drank about forty percent black tea, forty percent green tea, and almost twenty percent Ooh Long tea. But during World War Two, access to green tea, which was almost entirely from China, was cut off, so Americans switched to black tea from British India instead, and nowadays ninety nine percent of the tea Americans drink is black tea, to the point where if you just asked for tea, they assume you're talking about black tea. Yeah, but I thought it was interesting that the majority of American like iced tea was green tea.
Speaker 2: Well. But it's interesting though, because like green tea and black tea are basically the same. They're just like prepared in different ways, but they're made up.
Speaker 1: I mean there, Yeah, the plant is like similar, but like the flavor is definitely very different.
Speaker 2: No for sure for sure, but I mean like you could take like a tea leaf and you could make it both into black tea or green either.
Speaker 6: Interesting, it just depends on how.
Speaker 2: You make it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Doolung tea is similar process question eight. Britain has its own rich tea culture with much of it developing in the early Victorian era in eighteen forty. This era introduced a lot of t etiquette as well as multiple dedicated tea times, and like much of British culture, there's a stark class divide. High T sort of counterintuitively is associated with the lower class working people, while afternoon tea is associated with the upper crust. During which time of day is afternoon tea typically held? This multiple choice? Is it A eleven thirty to one thirty pm, B one thirty pm to three thirty pm, C three thirty pm to five thirty pm, D five thirty pm to seven thirty pm, E seven thirty pm to nine thirty pm. Holy yeah, nine thirty pm to eleven thirty pm. Or G eleven thirty pm to one thirty am.
Speaker 4: There's no way, Oh my goodness, afternoon t starts at nine thirty.
Speaker 2: This might be. This might be my own biases. And I don't know if any of you agree with me. In my opinion, evening starts at five pm. Evening, no matter what, even starts at five. So that's why I'm shocked. This is my own bias. That's my opinion. I'm saying. I think you said five, cancel me all you want? You want? This is hot take.
Speaker 1: You're all thirty three thirty to five, three thirty five.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's as soon as you hit at Definitely five thirty.
Speaker 6: It's evening. You would call evening tea.
Speaker 1: Okay, So three thirty five thirty is your answer. Okay, and that is correct. Yeah, man, you had it dead on. So yeah, as the name suggests, it's after noon. So historians believe that the emergence of tea culture actually helped fuel the Industrial Revolution, as the short and caffeine helped people work longer days. It also helped eliminate some of the consequences of urbanization, as the boiling of water for tea killed common water borne diseases like cholera, dysentery, and typhoid.
Speaker 3: So pretty interesting.
Speaker 4: All about getting the workers to work longer hours.
Speaker 1: That's all I can ask.
Speaker 2: Cant can I give a little fun fact This is not necessarily directly about tea, but you reminded me of it.
Speaker 1: No, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I remember like the very first like ice cream carts that they had in New York City. I think they called it like lickpenny or something, because what you would do is you'd go up, you would they would have like a little glass dish. They would put the ice cream in it, and then you would eat it and you would lick it clean. You would hand it to them and they would wash it in dirty water and then give it to the next person. And so it was so like I learned this very recently, Like that's how they served ice cream before, like the ice cream cone was invented. Oh, and it was like disgusting. It was terrible, Like everyone got.
Speaker 4: Se because you licked it clean. You would get a penny.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it was. It might not be it was licked something. I think it was what it was called.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was for a penny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you could get the the but it was called a lick something. It's because you licked it clean and then gave it back and they did not watch it. They just put it in dirty water.
Speaker 1: That's that's nasty. Let's get into question question nine. There are many ways to enjoy tea from all around the world, and in the interest of keeping this episode under two hours, we're going to do a speed round question. So I'm going to name a t and the first person to shout out the country of origin for that one sugar cue. For example, if I say Celan tea, you say no, it's Sri Lanka.
Speaker 2: Wow, A good start.
Speaker 3: Why didn't you figure the easy one for the first one.
Speaker 1: We're not up to get start. Whoever has the most sugar cubes by the end or not two, but four caffeine coins? Pretty okay, So we're gonna go through them all to keep track of your sugar cubes. Whoever has the most by the end, we'll earn four. Are you ready?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right? Macha India, Japan, Nope, yep, you got it. It's a Japan and China. Actually, so is invented in one thy one during a period of cultural exchange between the two countries, though most people associate with Japan. Now, all right, next one, kombucha.
Speaker 3: India, Thailand, Vietnam.
Speaker 1: You guys are all warm. I think I'm gonna do hot for some of these.
Speaker 5: Nope, Indonesia, Vietnam, China, Yep, it's China.
Speaker 6: Are the answers all, China?
Speaker 1: What kind of tea is this? This is it's fermented sweet and tea and typically it contains a small amount of alcohol.
Speaker 2: Okay, you should watch that, you guys.
Speaker 1: I don't have to do it.
Speaker 4: I didn't know technically tea.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: It's just fermented to I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that was from anything, so I thought it even just that's good. You'll come Keefer keeper. Isn't that Middle Eastern?
Speaker 1: Keifer Iram it's spelt c h I f I R.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've heard of Keifer again, I didn't know that was a tea, not Middle Eastern.
Speaker 1: I'll say it's close to Kazakhstan. It's close to China. Russia, Yep, it's Russia, job Cooper. So what kind of tea is this? This is tea and it's mostly where prisoners would grow blue directly in the cup of boiling water for a long time, which gives it drug like properties. If you drink it too quickly and it will make you throw up almost consuming too much, well, screw up your teeth and it's drug like effects. Okay, I'm gonna stop doing that.
Speaker 2: Vodja Russia sounds like Russia.
Speaker 4: No way spell it is.
Speaker 3: That called b O d j Adian.
Speaker 1: It's close to India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Nope, Nope, Bangladesh.
Speaker 4: It's close Indonesia, China.
Speaker 1: Close, you guys are in the areas. Nope, too far east, too far east country?
Speaker 5: Is it like inland or is it that's too far west west? Now it's inland Inland. It's kind of close.
Speaker 1: Close Damn.
Speaker 6: I was going to say Tibet.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, Tibbet, Bhutan, and Nepole. I would have taken so bar translates to Tibetan and jaw translates to tea. It's traditionally combined with Yax's milk, butter, and salt. I'm of some of the long tea. Yep, I'll give you all imediately. So it's green tea leaves that are tempered, bruised and brown through repetitive and complex process, which is more complex than green tea. Bubble Tea.
Speaker 3: Korea, yep, it's me you.
Speaker 2: Got with milk and restaurant.
Speaker 4: Different from boba.
Speaker 1: I think they're pretty much used intertraineably. I think boba specifically refers to uh, like the boba like pearls and stuff, but bubble tea is just kind of in general. Yeah, it's pretty good. It's the Starbucks version of the morning milkshake. I would say, Okay, how about Koshari tea India. No, it's more westward again westward koshariy k O Turkey s h a r y. It's close to Turkey, well closer on that part. I'll say it's Middle Middle Eastern, Middle Eastern around that area Iraq, Nope, Egypt, it's Egypt there. It's traditionally associated with Lower Egypt. Black tea sweetened with cane sugar off, often flavored with fresh mint, leaves and milty. It's usually very light. It sounds very good. Builders tea, Building America Nope. England tea yep.
Speaker 2: Builders tea.
Speaker 1: It's a strong black tea with milk. Yeah. It's like working class team masala Chai yep. Okay, I'll give it to mac And because you guys were both on it, yerba mate Italy.
Speaker 4: This is no way off way off America.
Speaker 1: It's on the wrong right side.
Speaker 7: Of the world.
Speaker 4: Who is it, South America yep.
Speaker 1: Somewhere there, Brazil, Yep. I'd give it to you. There you go, cooper, prepared with your beliefs and traditionally inside a gourd, which translates to mate in Spanish. It's pre Columbian coming from the Guarani people. How about Billy t.
Speaker 7: America, Billy America, I'm on the American teas, Canada, Australia.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's Australia.
Speaker 4: Billy of course it's Australia.
Speaker 1: It's named after the Billy Cans, the Australian settlers boiled water, and billy t is loosely black tea boiled with eucalyptus leaves in the pot for flavoring.
Speaker 2: How about Yong China, Sorry, Japan, it's.
Speaker 1: Close close associated, associated very heavily with Yep. It's Hong Kong.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there you go. Also known as coffee tea, This originated in the fifties as a kind of street food. It's about three parts black coffee and seven parts Hong Kong style milk tea. And the name refers to Mandarin ducks, who appear in male and female pairs and look completely different from each other, so it's like an unlikely pair. How about Sensha, I've heard of that before.
Speaker 3: S E. N C.
Speaker 2: H A. It's not Indian, China Japanese.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's Japan. It's the most popular tea in Japan's similar to macha. It's brewed with whole, steamed and rolled green tea leaves. All right, and that's it. So how many sugar cubes did you guys keep trace? Go ahead? Did you guys keep track?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I had six.
Speaker 1: Mitch Well Street five. Wowez itch is pulling ahead with this.
Speaker 2: I like cafe. I warned you ahead of time. He likes his.
Speaker 1: He knows this stuff all right. Question ten. It wouldn't be right for me to do a round about tea and not ask a question about China its birthplace. Some archaeological finds suggest that tea has been cultivated in China since four thousand BC. As such, there is much folklore around tea. According to Chinese legend, Emperor Shennong was born nine days after his mother swallowed the vapor of a dragon on the banks of the River Jiang. He looked like a minotaur, being over eight feet tall and having the head of a bowl. He then obtained a mystical book of herbs from a Taoist master and traveled the lands to consume and research every herb. One such herb was the tea leaf. While boiling water in his garden, a tea leaf fell from a nearby tree into the pot. The emperor enjoyed the infused water so much that he was compelled to research it further and discovered its medicinal properties during this period, and the rest is history. It may not surprise you, but according to legend, he also discovered many other things. We're doing another classic naming eight things two or fake? Which of the following things are not often cited as things he discovered slash invented? According to Chinese? Oh boy, so two of these are not attributed to Emperor Shanong so A the Chinese calendar, B boats, wow, c acupuncture, d money, e, the use of cannabis, f axes, G digging wells or h Sarah culture a ga A silkworm farming.
Speaker 3: Oh damn, this is wow.
Speaker 2: So this is what he claimed to have discovered, not what he actually.
Speaker 1: Attributed to him. Yeah, two of these things are not things attributed to him. He hasn't claimed this because he's not like a real.
Speaker 2: Style.
Speaker 1: He may be based off of a real person partially, but there wasn't actually a minotaur discovery.
Speaker 3: You're telling me that she did not really actually breathing a spirit of a dragon.
Speaker 6: Axes is such a tough one.
Speaker 4: Axesxes I have my answers.
Speaker 2: I feel.
Speaker 6: This is just like I have my two gases like Paul.
Speaker 3: I'm ready. This is just like Paul. We attribute stuff about if Paul were a minute are.
Speaker 1: He's he's got his blue Okay, Cooper, what do you think I have?
Speaker 4: Down axes and wells?
Speaker 1: Okay, Mac, what do you have?
Speaker 2: D and E?
Speaker 5: One of them is marijuana money in cannabis money and marine marijuana.
Speaker 1: Oh you don't think he's that?
Speaker 4: Did I did?
Speaker 6: I also had cannabis.
Speaker 2: But I said boats boats in canadis okay?
Speaker 1: Well, once again, Mitch is the only one who got the boats. And Sarah culture a k a silkword informent.
Speaker 3: To throw you guys off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh you said.
Speaker 3: It was actually silkwere in farming.
Speaker 1: So those are actually typically attributed to the Yellow Emperor, who's another like legendary like Chinese inventor who came before him. Sheong died after consuming a poisonous herb during one of his journeys. Today he's held as a cultural hero and it is sort of their patron sat farmers and traditional Chinese medicine. So that's kind of how he plays in there, all right. So that's a round two, how many caffeine coins do you own?
Speaker 6: Insane?
Speaker 4: He's gonna say an insane number. I have three?
Speaker 1: I have three, Mitch, how many do you have?
Speaker 2: Sixteen?
Speaker 3: Whoa, my lord? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: You know with the streak mechanic though.
Speaker 6: It's round three, That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 4: How many did you get from that last question I got?
Speaker 2: Did you give you.
Speaker 1: If this is the third question, If this is the third question you got right in a row, it would be two questions plus. So for the second question you got right in a row, you get one point one additional point. For the second or a third question you got right in a row, you get two editions. Should have gotten four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I did.
Speaker 1: So you got fifteen?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I think I have sixteen. What I'm saying is I think I did the math.
Speaker 1: Fifteen, but you just missed. Okay, okay, you've been doing I just remember. Okay, that's fair. And now another question before we get into round three. How do you like your tea?
Speaker 2: I've had Machia before. I like Macia tea. I like it like a lot sweeter than like you typically get.
Speaker 3: So wow, look at that.
Speaker 1: Wow, there you go.
Speaker 2: I really don't otherwise I do really like, Shoot.
Speaker 4: What tea is it? That's saying a London fog. It starts with an earl gray, earl gray.
Speaker 1: That's good. I like the sale on tea, which is why I used to as the example I do I have had. Yeah, yeah, it's it's from Lanka. That's the old name for Sri Lanka by the way, that's what they used to call it back in Ceylon. But uh, I like Yenyong quite a bit. And whenever I'm in a gas station, I will get Arnold Palmer's because I love arn Palmer's.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I do love a good Arnold Arnie palm that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's refreshing, especially hot.
Speaker 2: So I would probably say that I drink more tea and arm Palmers than I do like regular tea, because the only other time that I will ever drink tea is if my sore or if my throat is sore and I'm drinking like a like lemon and honey or ginger tea something like that, right, that's fair.
Speaker 1: I've only recently started really getting into tea, like in the last year or so. I started like drinking like other teas and really developed and appreciation. I would say both coffee and tea are like a choir taste, so you know, you may not like it the first couple of times you drink it because they're they're bitter, you know. I think it's I like coffee and tea quite a bit.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 1: Round three carbonated caffeinated.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: So that's what we're going on the clever name for all of the drink question eleven. Why did people start carbonating water? There are naturally carbonated springs, and in olden times people would pay good money for their waters, both due to their scarcity, novelty, and supposed health benefits. So in seventeen eighty three, Johann Jacob Schwepp developed that process to manufacture bottled carbonated mineral water, founding sweps. Schwepes was able to expand rapidly and sell the supposedly healthy carbonated water all over Europe. And this early marketing of carbonated water as healthy as why sparkling water is still so popular in Europe today. But this episode is about caffeinated drinks drug stores. Remember this was supposedly a health product, initially added caffeine as well as other ingredients for its supposed health benefits along with sugar to cover with bitter tastes. In the US, especially, people began going to these drugs or several times a day to get their fixed. I'm sure it's because of the health right. So drug stores began to install dedicated soda fountains, and companies began to sell pre made tonic mixtures to these drug stores, creating the first soda brands. So my question for you is, what is the oldest soda brand in the United States? Is it A Werner's ginger Ale, b Bark's root Beer, see Doctor Pepper or d Moxie Cooper.
Speaker 4: I'll say, I'll say that is incorrect.
Speaker 6: What do you think Doctor Pepper?
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 1: Mac? Which one sounds older? Is it Werner's ginger Ale.
Speaker 3: Or ginger Ale sounds older? But is that The answer is that I'm gonna get Moxie.
Speaker 1: No, Mack, you led yourself, Mac, you led yourself.
Speaker 4: At the beginning of round three.
Speaker 1: Werner's Vanilla ginger Ale was invented by James Werner, a pharmacist from Detroit, in eighteen sixty six. Crazy to think that people were drinking SODA's just after the Civil War. Detroit is also famous for fago of Insane Clown Posse Fan Shout out Detroit, Shout out Detroit, Shout out to Detroit, Insane Clown Posse Big Fans, Wow, bonus question operating the soda fountain at these drug stores with the soda jerk, a play on soda clerk, which was their official title, and jerk, which you referred to the motion in which they added soda. They were usually young men and were expected to be showmen with these loud personalities and good people skills, and if you were a teenager looking for a job, that's the one you want. So competition was pretty stiff. Part of being a showman meant you had to call out the orders in complicated jargon. Some of these terms made sense. If you asked for an orange, they would call it Florida. They called ice hail, nuts, gravel, coffee, java, and chocolate ice cream mud. I have now idea how some of these other jargon terms originated to Charlie Chaplin rules, because we haven't done that this episode yet. What does it mean if they call out Chicago barks root beer of my own new drink, new drink for the.
Speaker 4: I know, all right, Cooper, what do you think all right, So Chicago at that time was known for gangster violence. So that would mean you get a shot of cherry which as it would seep down into the drink.
Speaker 6: That's like crazy, only goodness, that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Let's see your guys answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is Chicago even known for alcohol?
Speaker 4: The bean? It has beans in it.
Speaker 2: The beans.
Speaker 6: They have to be that ground up grill, ground up coffee beans.
Speaker 4: Being lived in their hearts.
Speaker 3: It's spiritual, being spiritual, being mac you're going with alcohol, with alcohol like a shot of whiskey.
Speaker 6: That's actually not a bad idea, mac. Oh, I don't even know what what do you think, Mitch?
Speaker 2: Maybe you want like maybe at that point they figured out like floats, so like you're you're like asking for ice cream. That's my guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, I would say the person who's closest is Cooper, but it doesn't make sense. It's pineapple juice.
Speaker 2: Why is it? I don't know how I listen to step when he said some of these I have no idea, but.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think you guys, you guys all had good reasons as for why, but for some reason, it's pineapple juice. So Cooper, you named a free point. Yeah, there you go, three point. While soda drinks were pretty much phased out by the end of the fifties, some of their slang stuck. We still call extra thilk, extra thick milkshakes, concretes, and egg creams are still semi popular drinks in the New York area.
Speaker 2: Where they Java Where what does the word java come from?
Speaker 3: Java?
Speaker 1: Bean? Java?
Speaker 3: Actually Java, it's a type of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, okay, okay, because we still call it like a like a Java house or something like that, like a coffee assapa. Yeah, so Java, I think.
Speaker 1: That was around before then. But you know, a good amount of slang stuck. But yeah, they don't call pineapple juice Chicago anymore.
Speaker 2: Did they. Did they have to wear did they wear like white? Like a lot of these jobs during this time, like if you were a million, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, they wore elaborate uniforms because they were, like, you know, their showmen. Surely got to show off, got to have a spiffy uniform. Let's get into question twelve. More than one hundred year later. One hundred years later, and soda has exploded, moving from drug stores and dedicated soda fountains to the shelves of grocery stores in bottles and cans. The two main conglomerates, Coca Cola and Pepsi, have devoured the markets and clash with each other and what was dubbed the Cola warps because their main products are so similar, with coke having a light vanilla taste and Pepsi having the light citrus taste. It really came down to marketing. What many people don't know is that this conflict started much earlier. On lines were drawn in nineteen thirty one when the Loft Candy Company president, Charles Gooth bought Pepsi with the explicit desire to get even with Coke. What did Coke do that pissed him off so much?
Speaker 2: Was it a?
Speaker 1: They sued him for selling coke with an altered formula under the Coke name. He would later use this recipe for Pepsi. B the president of Coke's son, broke his daughter's heart almost see. They continually rejected his business deals and ideas, which he came to believe was targeted towards him, specifically d They refused to give him a discount on Coke syrup at his own drugstore or e. He just hated the taste of Coca Cola.
Speaker 4: Cooper, I think the only reason that you buy a rival brand is if they're like trying to shun him. So I think he had ideas that they weren't paying attention to, and he was.
Speaker 1: Like, they're persecuting I'll show them. Well I made that one, Mac, What do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, even to this day, Coke is like very specific about their like ingredients, They're very specific about their recipe. So I think that even back then they were like that too.
Speaker 1: So they that's a big part of the Coke marketing to isn't it.
Speaker 2: With the ceiling of the polar Bear right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh man, it's still a big lore. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I think that he was selling stuff under their name that was not Coke.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, Mac, that's incorrect.
Speaker 2: Was that one?
Speaker 1: First one was the altered formula. Second one was he broke his daughter's heart. President Coke son broke his daughter's heart. See was they can?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, Cooper already answered that one. Uh, they refuse to give him a discount on coke syrup at his own drug store, crazy where he did the taste of coked Which.
Speaker 2: One did Max say? Sorry, that's ultra formula.
Speaker 1: Hooper said, they rejected his ideas.
Speaker 4: This is tough. It's the daughter one.
Speaker 2: I think it might be, though, man, I think it might be knowing Steven. This is unless this is a is a debate. I'm gonna say the broken heart. I'm not. I don't have a streak right now. I think you're trying to be tricky. I'm gossa say the broken heart.
Speaker 1: Okay. The correct answer is they refuse to give him. I don't know why he expected as honestly reading like reading it. He just expected a discount for like him personally, and they just didn't get so it was very petty. Onwards, he only sold Pepsi at his drug store, which he bought up after they went bankrupt. He then tried to rescue the business by changing the formula, which didn't work, and he even offered to sell the company to Coca Cola when they were on hard times, but they didn't even place a bit at auction, which like kind of invigorated his hands, so he bought it back, changed the formula again, moved the company headquarters to Long Island, and then Pepsi exploded. The catch is that he did all of this using the excess profits generated from the Loft Candy company, which caused the board to remove him as the president and sue him for all his PEPs So he didn't even get a benefit from all of that work. Wow, Like they just took all of his possessions away because he illegally used their profits for his other Like, Petron, what do you.
Speaker 6: Think is a more petty rivalry Coke and Pepsi or Disney in dream Works.
Speaker 4: I don't know how petty.
Speaker 1: I feel like Coke and Pepsi is very petty. Like I understand some of the Disney dream Works stuff where it's like former Disney employees. I can see how there's animosity.
Speaker 4: There release commercials just like digging at each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like here's the thing Shrek. That's Shrek. That is strike the movie they made to make fun of Disney. Like it was like Lord Farquad is a person from Disney that they were making fun of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the head of like no way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, they made a whole movie making fun of Disney.
Speaker 1: Now I get it. You know, that's that's fair.
Speaker 4: That's all I get it. I think it's a thirteen deductive to say, Shrek is only about Disney.
Speaker 3: Well, not only, but it's about a lot of things.
Speaker 4: Shrek means a lot.
Speaker 2: Shrek is a lot. Is no.
Speaker 1: You could say that, Yeah, you could say that. Question. Thirteen Members of the LDS Church are prohibited from drinking hot drinks aka coffee and tea by a section of doctrines and covenants called Words of Wisdom, but that doesn't mean they aren't allowed to consume caffeine. Because of this, soda has become the drink of choice among many Mormons, which has led to rediscoveries and innovations in the art of soda craft that have spread far past the Mountain States. Dirty soda shops brought back the drinks of the soda jerk age, but with the delivery of Starbucks. According to Nicole Tanner, the founder of the largest dirty soda chain, Swig, and the creator of the term, what did the dirty and dirty soda originally refer to? Multiple choice?
Speaker 3: Do you think that is.
Speaker 4: Is original?
Speaker 7: I know?
Speaker 3: Okay, but what if it's question?
Speaker 1: So your options are coconut syrup, lime juice, half and half a cream, which is incorrect, or the act of adding anything to soda makes it dirty?
Speaker 4: Interesting?
Speaker 6: Mitch, what I'm going to say, adding anything makes it dirty?
Speaker 1: Cooper, what is the original meaning of dirty and dirty soda? Is it coconut syrup or lime juice?
Speaker 4: I would probably say lime juice because I know there's like a whole thing about putting lime juice in like coke a syrup.
Speaker 1: So the first menu item on the Swig menu that was called dirty was just doctor pepper with coconut syrup, and items they added later on with coconut syrup in it were called dirty. But now it kind of just generally refers to any like added ingredients making it dirty. Actually, people are thinking of like cream when they added Did.
Speaker 4: Swig invent the idea of dirty soda?
Speaker 1: Well, they invented like the term dirty soda, and they're what like popularized it, and that's why it's like a big thing now and it's kind of a trend now is a you know, Swig in their expansion and all the other people that kind of do similar things.
Speaker 4: I forgot that there is a challenge question and.
Speaker 1: They have like a soft trademark on the term.
Speaker 2: Well I remember, I remember I went, wait, what, No.
Speaker 1: They sued soda. They sued So Delicious for using the term dirty soda, and then they settled out of court and then So Delicious kind of changed all the names off of dirty soda. A bunch of other smaller business do use the term dirty soda, but it's like kind of like, okay, you have to reserve.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, but I okay. What I was going to say was, this is before all of the stuff that came out about Taco Bell. By the way, but I went to Taco Bell and they they like asked if I wanted dirty it dirty, And I'm like, you're like, no, the drink.
Speaker 1: Like you can get your drinks in dirty dirty.
Speaker 2: Like they asked, what's their one drink Baha blah, they wanted a dirty Baha blast. I'm like, uh no, I don't think I do.
Speaker 1: It might be the official name.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure, but.
Speaker 1: I know Swig did sue So Delicious at one point because they were using dirty sodas for their brand, and then So Delicious changed their names. Your question, you guys can't challenge if you think it's tricky. There's no question about baja because we are moving on off from soda two question fourteen. As you saw, there's a pattern with caffeated drinks being used as medicine, then becoming a daily ritual, and then become a vessel for sugar and fat. So in a sense, energy drinks were returned to four. The energy drink as we know it first emerged in post World War two Japan with lipovitan d herbal energizing tonic marketed towards truck drivers and factory workers who needed to stay awake for long shifts. In nineteen eighty five, Dietrich Mathischitz introduced Red Bull to the European market after discovering it in Thailand and.
Speaker 3: Was an immediate hit.
Speaker 1: My question is how much more caffeine is in a can of Red Bull compared to a comparatively sized cup of coffee? Is it A about twenty percent more, B about forty percent more, C about sixty percent more, D about eighty percent more? Or E actually about twenty percent less?
Speaker 4: Oh really, I thought there were more than one cup of.
Speaker 3: Mac? What do you think to go with sixty sixty percent?
Speaker 1: That is incorrect, Cooper? Or maybe two too low?
Speaker 4: I'll bite, I'll do the one that's less.
Speaker 2: Dang it.
Speaker 6: I was going to say, that's right.
Speaker 2: And that is.
Speaker 1: So eight fluid owns. A can of Red Bull contains about eighty milligrams of caffeine, while an eight fluid ounce cup of coffee can contain anywhere from ninety five milligrams.
Speaker 2: The sugar.
Speaker 6: There's a lot more sugar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of the other ingredients like the sugar and touring, which is actually the ingredient that the drink gets its name from, because touring, you know, that's bowls. So there you go, give an immediate burst of energy, and the rest is psychological. I thought in a cup of coffee in there's more than that. And some other drinks, like a lot of energy drinks now have like tons of caffeine, which is what this is related to question fifteen. Let's finish this episode off with a bang. Bang Energy came onto the market like a bolt of lightning. I was created in twenty twelve by the CEO of Vital Pharmaceuticals, Jack o' Wok. Bang Energy immediately sell itself apart from its competitors with its off of zero sugar, zero calories, three hundred milligram's caffeine, and a secret ingredient called supercreatine, a product off of Vital Pharmaceuticals Sports enhancement shell, but the brightest stars burn out the quickest. Bang Energy was effectively sued to death. Jack O Walk was forced out and Monster Energy took the brand over. One of the things they were sued for was, unsurprisingly, consumer deception, and specifically for supercreatine. All the following multiple choice options are among the claimed advantages of supercreatine. Which of the following is an actual advantage that supercreatine provides overcreating monohydrate which is like what most people call creatine. Is it A it's stable in solution, which means it won't degrade into creatine the overtime. B, it's water soluble, s it's able to cross the blood brain barrier.
Speaker 3: Or D.
Speaker 1: It's supercreatine enhances muscle creatine stores.
Speaker 4: So one of these is false.
Speaker 1: One of these is an actual advantage it provides. All the other ones are claimed advantages that it doesn't provide.
Speaker 3: What advantage would getting into your brain be?
Speaker 1: I want to they they advertise all of these and only one of them is true. Cooper, what do you say water soluble? That is incorrect?
Speaker 4: Not water soluble?
Speaker 1: No, well, that's not a unique advantage of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, of supercreatine regular creatine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so it's only for advantages over because regular creatine is also water soluble, So that's not even that's what I'm real marketing point, mac.
Speaker 3: I think that this is not an advantage, but it's something that supercreatine does do that creating does not, and that's getting into your brain. I think that super creating crosses the blood brain barrier.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is incorrect. Both of them across the blood brain.
Speaker 2: Are the options left. One of them was muscle.
Speaker 1: It's so it's stable in which means it won't degrade into creatin nine overtime or supercreatine enhances muscle creatine stores compared to normal creatine.
Speaker 6: Oh, those are both very believable. It's fifty fifty.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: I guess that's why they claim all of these advantages, but only one of them is an actual advantage.
Speaker 6: I'll just say.
Speaker 2: When you say sorry, the first of the two, when you say that it it doesn't degrade, you mean like it doesn't degrade on shelves or doesn't degrade.
Speaker 6: In your body as quick?
Speaker 2: Like what do you mean by that? Like on shelves so longer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the claim is that you know normal creatine. The claim is that it will degrade into creatinine overtime, which your body can't utilize as much to enhance muscle building.
Speaker 6: I'll go with the muscle one.
Speaker 1: Enhances muscle creatine. I'm sorry, it's that's the only advantage creatine provides over creatine monohydrate, which is what you get in any sports settlement, and that it's stable for a lot.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Otherwise it's actually worse in that it doesn't enhance muscle creatine stores, which normal creatine does. So really it's like, what's the point. And hypothetically, even if super creatine did anything, is at such low quantities in the energy drink that it effectively would do nothing if it was normal creatine. Now that Jack o Walk is on his own, he's made a new energy drink called Ai Energy.
Speaker 2: Ai Energy, he has aid.
Speaker 1: So I think that's all I need to say about that.
Speaker 7: What the hell?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Perfect? So let's do a final caffeine coin check. How many caffeine you guys?
Speaker 4: I have nine?
Speaker 2: I have three.
Speaker 6: I didn't get any of that last round, so I still have sixteen.
Speaker 2: Still, Just.
Speaker 4: Dang, there were like questions nobody got.
Speaker 3: I'll challenge the uh, what's it called I don't even.
Speaker 1: Know I can repeat all the questions. Yeah, okay, so they repeated it all, which is an actual Starbucks menu item cookie dough. I'll challenge that record.
Speaker 3: Challenge that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'll keep going.
Speaker 4: Hold on, that was the one that mis challenged.
Speaker 3: So oh man, oh, I won't challenge it. Then he actually missed it.
Speaker 2: It did not go well for me.
Speaker 4: Oh, maybe he challenged the wrong thing about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're right, you're right. Yeah, four challenge on the Palmer. I think that he's fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I know what.
Speaker 4: I'm going to challenge. You're you're tricky, Steven. I've never heard of the Philadelphia Tea Party. I challenged the fact that that's that it even exists.
Speaker 2: Just for the record, I think if I had a challenge left, I would challenge the dirty soda one.
Speaker 4: That origin she talked about like swig getting like like sewing and stuff. The others. I think that's real.
Speaker 2: No, I I think that that's should try to.
Speaker 4: I think it's real. Guess we'll see.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, drum roll, please, none of you. The real challenge question was the origin of coffee and Japan. Well, the Nestlie gorilla campaign YouTube videos about that, but I actually found no sources verifying that. I think that's like Nastalie's own marketing is trying to be like we interested.
Speaker 2: It was probably America.
Speaker 1: The coffee was around long before that, and it probably has to do with American introduction. And also Dutch traders did introduce coffee, but also it didn't really take off. If anything, I would say it's the America one. But there's a lot I'm like, really seemingly well researched YouTube videos about how Nestlie introduced coffee to Japan, and that's why you research everything, because yeah, I think that's just Nestie trying to an evil corporation. Yeah, so there you give that the story is true story.
Speaker 4: It's an evil story to be like, we'll feed coffee to kids so they grow up addicted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well congrats, Mitch, whether you like it or not, you're having dinner by the end of that. Yeah, you can just beg him for money.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if the think about all the big money moves that he'll teach you, think of all the business, think of all the unions he can help you.
Speaker 1: Bus you're right, you're right, genius. Thank you for tuning into bus one today. We really appreciate it. If you're total your friends about us. Also subscribing or dropping a five star rating in your podcast player of choice also helps our evil plans along. Our goal is to put chemicals in the water to turn the freaking frogs straight. Because it's no longer June. If you're watching this episode in June, piss off.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's it. We're on all social media says at Bus one Trivia, including only fans. Head on over to bus one Trivia dot com for a link or discord and och I'm out, I'm out.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have to re record this episode someone else I can't.
Speaker 1: Head on over to bus one Trivia dot com for link or discord and our official merch before we'd go to like thank Burt Cobusive Arthume song five nine seven eight, which is a certified ever. Thank you for writing bust one. We'll see your nemex wave