Speaker 1: What's up, everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Epstein Chronicles. There's no story that includes Jeffrey Epstein that can avoid the fact that he was embedded in academia. And after all these years, the bill is finally coming due, and people like Larry Summers and Leon Botstein are finally being called upon to answer for their relationship with Jeffrey Epstein. And as you can imagine, their answers have not been great. And of course it's led to Larry Summers being shit canned at Harvard. And now Botstein is stepping down from his president's position. Now, of course he's not leaving Bard entirely, but he's stepping down from that position. And now we have Jamie Raskin, who is looking for a comprehensive accounting and he wants to have an interview with mister Botstein. And look, just be clear, I'm not saying that mister Botstein was taking part in any kind of abuse. I don't know that, but I do know that he enabled Jeffrey Epstein. I know that he helped refurbish Jeffrey Epstein's image, and I know that led to other people being abused. And if this was a Rico case well might be a different conversation. But considering that's just a hope and a dream, we have to deal with the reality before us. And when it comes to people like Botstein, people like Summers. The most we can hope for probably his embarrassment, and honestly, that's a drop in the pill compared to the suffering of Jeffrey Epstein's victims and survivors. So look, I get it right, nobody wants to demean somebody. I'm not going to sit here and call somebody a diddler if we have no proof of it. But at the same time, you have to answer for your relationships. You're a grown ass man. You can't have relationships with people like Jeffrey Epstein when he's a known child abuser and then think that it's going to be okay, that nobody's going to have anything to say about it, Because I assure you people have some shit to say, so do why. Today's article is from The Guardian and the headline Harvard and Bard face fresh questions from lawmakers overties to Epstein. This article was authored by Stephanie Kirch Gasner. Harvard University and Bard College are facing new questions about the institution's relationship with Jeffrey Epstein amid allegations at the convicted child sex trafficker leveraged his ties to the universities and their faculty to traffic women while also burnishing his reputation to avoid detection. That's exactly what happened. That's not an allegation, that's not a maybe. That's what happened. And for all these years they've denied it, they've made excuses, and they've acted like it's been overblown. But the truth is they've been covering it up. And not to veer too far off course, but it looks like a serious trafficking ring has been covered up over in the UK as well. Rupert Lowe has a new report out about grooming gangs, and we're going to get into that too, because I think it dovetails with what we talk about now. Of course, there's people who say that the numbers inside of that inquiry are overblown, but my response to that is even one girl is enough. If one girl suffered that kind of fate at the hands of some kind of grooming gang and it was covered up, that needs to be investigated. And I think it goes directly to the heart of what we're dealing with when it comes to Epstein. A lot of it has to do with institutional embarrassment. I need you guys to understand that, and these governments will go to great lengths to try and make sure that that doesn't occur, even if that means covering up something like Jeffrey Epstein or the grooming gangs. Over in the UK, Jamie Raskin, top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, said in a statement that Harvard and Bard had both previously attempted to investigate the role their universities and leadership played in facilitating Epstein's abuse, but that those attempts either failed or fell short of a full accounting of what occurred. Well, hold on one second, you mean internal investigations don't work. Come on, you should be able to investigate yourself, right if you commit a crime, he don't worry about it. I'm taking a look at myself. I just looked at my books and everything's okay here. Meanwhile, you're stealing money hand over fist. The whole entire internal investigation is some of the biggest bs in the history of big bs. Among other demands for information, Raskin has asked Bard to make Leon Botstein, its outgoing president, whom Bard has said will retain a role at the college, available for a transcribed interview. Raskin also requested records related to Epstein's donations, communications, admission interactions, and institutional decision making, as well as the full results of an internal review by the college. Raskin is also seeking extensive records from Harvard, including all records, financial documents, and communications relating to Ebstein's funding of research and his personal relationship with faculty members. I mean, that's good, and we should be getting all of that, but I doubt he will. Remember a lot of this stuff was clandestine, a lot of this stuff was done on the down low, and Epstein knew not to have a paper trail. He knew better. So the whole entire internal review has always been a bunch of nonsense to me. Raskin is also seeking extensive records from Harvard, including all records, financial documents, and communications relating to Ebstein's funding of research and his personal relationships with faculty members. Raskin said Harvard's previous investigation into the university's ties to Epstein, conducted in two thousand and eight in twenty nineteen, we're at best incomplete and at worst misleading. Man, Am I really agreeing with Jamie Raskin right now? Not exactly, somebody I agree with all the time, but he's not wrong here, and there needs to be a full accounting. Any of these universities that receives one single dollar in public money should be on the hook to explain away their relationship with someone like Jeffrey Epstein, and up until this point Harvard has not done. So. Every single excuse they give, every reason they give, is worse than the last. I mean, if the president of your university is palaling around with Jeffrey Epstein, and Jeffrey Epstein has an office on the campus of Harvard, I'd say that that's a problem that starts at the top, right the president of the university. We're not talking about some rebel ass professor who decided to do this after the university told him no. The universe encouraged it. They might not have said it, but their behavior encouraged this kind of shit, and with their internal reports, the idea was to whitewash that, to make it like the university had no idea and that it was just a couple of professors and a couple of people on campus who thought it would be a good idea to have a relationship with Epstein. That's what they tried to frame it as, but that was never the truth, and now Jamie Raskin is calling them out. Raskin said the internal investigation failed to uncover a series of donations Epstein made after Harvard had instituted a ban against such donations in two thousand and eight, as well as the full extent of his relationship with Harvard faculty members, including Harvard's former president Larry Summers, and the depth of his personal involvement with student admissions and faculty research. Yeah, how many people got in there because of Epstein? How many times did Epstein reach out and get somebody into the school? I'm sure if you remember. At the heart of it, that's what Jeffrey Epstein was a fixer, and he knew if he could get some vulnerable girls into Harvard, then he'd be able to abuse them and not just actually, but in general, have them do whatever he wants them to do, whenever he wants them to do it, because if they don't, well, they'll lose their spot at Harvard, and they'll lose their immigration visa and they'll have to go back to whatever country they're from. And that was the guillotine hanging over the head over these girls. It's time for Harvard, like the rest of America, to come clean and engage in the comprehensive accounting that will allow us to learn from this nightmare, take appropriate legislative action, and make sure nothing like it ever happens again. Raskin sent in a letter to Harvard President Alan Garber, and look, I doubt we're gonna stop it from ever happening again, but hopefully we're more vigilant this time, and hopefully people recognize the signs and they do something about it, they step up. Harvard announced in February that Summers was resigning from teaching at the end of the academic year. The announcement followed the Justice Department's release of the Epstein files, which revealed more details about Summer's and Epstein's relationship. The email showed Summers and Epstein communicated frequently on topics ranging from politics to women, including Summers pursuing a relationship with a person who saw them as an economic mentor like I never understood the whole thing about teachers try and hook up with their students even in college. What are you doing? Why would you cause yourself that kind of headache, that kind of drama. Go to the local pub, find yourself somebody else, a different girl. Whenever there is that power imbalance, you're setting yourself up for a disaster. And when you walk into it willingly, well, you get what you deserve. Summer served as Harvard's president from two thousand and one to two thousand and six. Epstein donated more than nine million to Harvard and its affiliated program from ninety eight to two thousand and eight, which overlapped with Summer's tenure. Somers has previously said, I am deeply ashamed of my actions and recognize the pain they have caused. I take full responsibility for my misguided decision to continue communicating with mister Epstein. Yeah, after you got called out, after the whole country knw Y were a scumbag? How come you didn't do it?
Speaker 2: Previously?
Speaker 1: In a separate letter addressed to bar chair James Cox Chambers, whom The Guardian previously reported has recently stepped down from that role, Raskin said he was seeking to understand how Epstein exploited and leveraged multifarious ties in higher education from Bard to Columbia University, Harvard and NYU. Raskin pointed out in the letter that Botstein was resigning from his position as president, a role that he held for more than fifty years, following Abart initiated investigation that concluded his tenure was marked by substantial lapses in leadership and candor not exactly legacy building. Huh, imagine they do this report and that's what they come back with. Now can you imagine what an external report would find? There was evidence. Raskin said that Epstein's relationship to Botstein and barred leaders helped them maintain and expand his illegal activities, including potentially trafficking women in New York and the Russian Federation. And that's a big story the Russian Federation. I doubt it's ever going to get legs, but boy, there were a lot of women and girls abused from the Russian Federation one hundred percent. And that's because Epstein knew that he had friends in FSB that would press these women, make sure they didn't talk. I mean, look at the emails that he sent about Ganijeva and the response from his Russian contact, how they're gonna press her, How she's not protected by anybody in Russia, so it should be easy. And that should give you a little bit of a look at how these people operated. And when we're talking about people from the Russian Federation, what are they going to do? Go to the local police chief who's in the pocket of insert oligarch here. The Guardian reported last month that Bard's Board of trustees voted to end Botstein's fifty one year tenure after board members were presented with the results of an independent review of his relationship with Epstein. Botstein friend his departure as a long plan retirement in a statement on May first. Oh yeah, retirement, forced retirement. You mean these people shouldn't be able to save face with those kinds of statements. An Epstein victim who had previous interactions with Botstein, said she believed the Bard College president was part of a group of influential and accomplished men whose proximity to Epstein helped to rehabilitate his reputation one million percent. And that's the part that a lot of people leave out. A lot of people are like, well, so and so didn't take heart in any abuse. So what's the big deal? They enabled, They helped rehabilitate this piece of shits reputation, and that of course led to countless girls being abused. And there was certainly levels to it, and there were certainly levels that reached criminality. And if we ever had a real investigation, well we would have seen that. A summary of an internal investigation conducted by the Wilmer Hell Law Firm, which was initiated by Bard's board of trustees and was released publicly on May first, found that nothing Botstein did in connection to his relationship with Epstein was illegal. It also found that the Bard president was not fully accurate in describing his relationship with Epstein publicly or to the Bard community, and stated that Botstein did not fully see a risk to Bard's reputation when he pursued Epstein as a donor for the college, or the potential risk his contacts with Epstein posed to Bard's students. I mean, you know, a guy that's already been to prison for abusing a girl who was under age. No risk here, guys, squeaky clean, He's the fucking pope. The law firm noted that Botstein had not disclosed fees he accepted under a consulting agreement with epstein entity. Botstein previously denied being friends with Epstein and has also said he never witnessed anything inappropriate nor had any visibility in Ebstein's monstrous crimes. He's never been charged with any wrongdoing related to Ebstein. We have received the letter and are reviewing it, a Bard College spokesperson told The Guardian. Harvard did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Raskin is seeking information from both universities by July.
Speaker 2: First. Look, this story.
Speaker 1: Is just beginning when it comes to higher education academia and places like Harvard and Bard and like usual, will be here every step of the way as a story unfolds. As for this one, well that's going to do it. All the information that goes with this episode can be found in the description box. Hey, what's up, everybody, and welcome to the program. We're gonna get right into it tonight. Considering this is a relatively long article, it's really an editorial that was posted by Lawrence Lessig over at the Harvard Crimson Now. Lawrence Lessig is the RL Furman Professor of Law and Leadership at Harvard, and he's taking Harvard to task in this editorial. Folks, I've been calling for this kind of rhetoric for quite some time, and very few people in academia were willing to stand up and say anything about this stuff. Doctor Stephen Delay was one.
Speaker 2: Of the very few.
Speaker 1: So it's nice to see Lawrence Lessig show up to the party. I mean a little late, obviously, but still, what do I always talk about? If the people that are within these institutions aren't holding their peers and each other responsible for their behavior, then how can anybody on the outside ever expect for that to occur? So it starts on the inside and seeing seeing Lawrence Lessig pen this essay, this editorial here is certainly a step in the right direction. So let's jump right into it and let's see what he has to say. This appeared in the Harvard Crimson. Author is Lawrence Lessig. Harvard has apparently concluded its review of its relationship to the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey E. Epstein in September twenty nineteen, after expressing that he profoundly regrets Harvard's association with Epstein. University President Lawrence S. Bakow promised to review how we prevent these situations in the future, and what did we get. Like usual, when it comes to these internal reports, or we're gonna have a real reflective look in the mirror and we're gonna see how we can be better. Whenever it's that kind of stuff, it usually falls flat on its face. At least with my experience here in the Epstein case, every single time one of these groups does a internal review, it always turns out to be absolute garbage. The report found Harvard had taken no money from Epstein after his conviction, though there were further questions that merited study. Two weeks ago, after completing that study, Harvard determined to shutter the research center Epstein's money had founded and discipline its academic director. Yet in these steps, Harvard has still not given us a fair accounting of our past, and worse, in this latest step, it hides that account behind a scapegoat. And that is definitely the case. They have scapegoated from the jump over at Harvard. None of the people at the top, none of the trustees, Lawrence back Out, none of these other people that are you know, top dog at Harvard, people that are supposed to be responsible for this sort of thing. None of these people have felt the full weight of what occurred. None of them have stepped down or lost their positions, or lost tenure or lost anything like that. Instead, a few of the people who were getting that money directly from Epstein ended up being the only people to take the fall. And while they should have, right the people that facilitated the Epstein money in the first place, the scientists that he was collecting and that we're taking money from him, all of those sons of bitches should have lost their jobs for sure, They should have lost tenure, they should have lost everything, honestly, But the same goes for the people above them. Is there no accountability when it comes to the management level, so to say, in this situation, is it just the professors who should be sanctioned who should lose their jobs? Or should everybody who was around at that time, everybody who should have seen what was going on who didn't, either willfully or because they're morons. All of those people should not be in the positions that they're in. There are plenty of capable positions people to fill those positions. There are three chapters in the evolving relationship between academic institutions and Jeffrey Epstein in the first before his conviction in two thousand and eight. Everyone loves Epstein, and that is the case. All of these people were gush over Epstein. Remember the Vanity Fair article. You know, these people were gushing over Epstein. And they'll tell you now that, oh, we had no idea what Jeffrey Epstein was. There was no signs nobody had any idea. Meanwhile, we know that's a bunch of bs, right, we all know that that's garbage. Epstein didn't wake up one morning and decided to become an absolute scumbag pervert. This is who he was. This is the kind of person he was. This was his character. All of those crass jokes while you guys are all around at a science conference, that didn't ring a few alarm bells. I mean, come on, already, there's a time and place for everything. You know, you're sitting around with the guys. It's a poker game. You want to have some crass language.
Speaker 2: I get it. Yeah, of course that's what guys do. I get it. You're at a science conference.
Speaker 1: Why do you need to have girls with you? Why do you need to talk about disgusting topics that you know, these there's no place for it in the in the environment or the setting. And that didn't ring any of the alarm bells, didn't go off for anybody. It didn't ring any alarm bells for any of these people. Please give me a break. I'm just you know, I'm so sick of the well, we had no idea. We didn't hear anything, we didn't see anything. Well, you certainly didn't say anything in the third after the twenty eighteen article in the Miami Herald detailing his depravity, everyone hates Epstein. A hold on a second, You guys should have hated him a long time before that. This stuff was out there. People were talking about who Epstein was. There was, you know, a lot going on in that realm of the atmosphere. People knew exactly what Epstein was. It didn't take the Julie Brown article to let people know what Jeffrey Epstein was. The Julie Brown article that got people to start paying attention. But in the second there is an ambiguous dance between this generous funder pedophile and universities that recognize complexity in taking his money. See, and that's one of my biggest problems with this. They knew it was wrong to take old boys dough, but they did it anyway, and then when they're called out on it, they start with the whole nonsense of, well, what do you mean we had no idea, you knew, everybody knew you took that money anyway, And what you thought was that Jeffrey Epstein was in the clear. He did his time, They weren't gonna come get him again because of all of his connections. There was no way that was going to occur. So these dudes hopped right back into bed with them, had their hand out, and Jeffrey Epstein was handing out the hundreds of thousands. In two thousand and eight, former university president Drew G. Faust resolved that complexity with clarity, but incompletely unlike others such as MIT, Faust determined that Harvard would take no more money from Epstein. According to the May twenty twenty report, Yeah, okay, but very much like others, including Mit, she gave no directive about how the many other ways that Epstein was connected to the university should be affected by her determination. Of course, she didn't go all the way, you know, that's called mister Lessig. I'm pretty sure you know, you're a very skilled lawyer, very intelligent man, well schooled, much more well schooled than me, that's for sure. But the cynic in me says it was left there on purpose as a loophole so they could still get that money while re attaining plausible deniability. In particular, she gave no guidance about how the center that Epstein's main contribution to Harvard had established, the Program on Evolutionary Evolutionary Dynamics, should negotiate its continued interactions with Epstein. And I'm sure that mister Lessig here is going to give us a different avenue and a different bit of thought. But for me, the cynic in me, and I'm sorry I have to be so cynical when dealing with this case, but the track record has made it so so it looks to me like this is a loophole that she left in there so that the professors could still continue to rake in the dough, while the university at the same time could say, well, look, we have these guidelines in place. We're not involved in that. We didn't know anything about it, so it was kind of a you know, wink wink, nudge nudge kind of deal in particular, Oh past that excuse me, because from the start, Epstein was constantly engage with PED and with others through PED. And that's the program on evolutionary dynamics. That's the the way that they talk about it, you know, when they abbreviate it, it's called the PED. According to a letter that Martin Nowak, the ped's academic director, sent to administrators when the center was founded, Harvard's then president Lawrence H. Summers. Huh that name sounds familiar, doesn't It got Epstein to pay the rent for ped's office not on Harvard's campus, but in commercial space in Harvard's Square. And you all remember Larry Summers, right, Lawrence H. Summers, good friend of Obama's, you know, one of those guys. Yeah, Larry Summers. Typical academia scuzzball. From the beginning, Epstein treated that space as a second office in Cambridge. Epstein traveled to Cambridge regularly to meet with Harvard's most luminary, including Summers, regularly, but not exclusively at PED. Those meetings are described as interesting and intellectual in Noac's letter. There is no suggestion they involved any inappropriate behavior, well beyond, of course, the inappropriateness of including Epstein himself. So I'm certainly not laying out the charges that there was inappropriate behavior as far as abusing girls here. I'll leave that to some of the other fantasists that are floating around. What I am saying, though, is Larry Summers is an absolute jerk, an absolute scuzzball, and an absolute moron. Larry Summers is the kind of guy that epitomizes everything that was wrong with academia and their relationship with Epstein. Politically connected, locked in at the university, top of his field, and the exact kind of guy Jeffrey Epstein loved Hanging around. These sores continued long after the two thousand and eight ban on raising Epstein money. The question is why some thought the ban would be temporary. Some hoped Epstein's reputation might be restored. All right, Well, hold on, hit the brakes, restored his reputation restored? Huh Again, We're not talking about somebody who was involved in a money a money scam here. We're not talking about somebody who got into a fight in the bar and things went too far and the person he was fighting with got hurt severely. You know, people make mistakes, right, you can forgive mistakes, is what I'm trying to get at.
Speaker 2: But this is no gray area mistake.
Speaker 1: This is no Ah Man, I really really screwed up this time. That's not what this was. This was human trafficking of children, point blank period. Some believed it morally obligatory to give a criminal a chance at redemption, and.
Speaker 2: That's such BS two.
Speaker 1: All of these elites love to talk about that, But what have they done to really give people who need a second chance a second chance? The dude that got popped for selling some pot, guy on the corner, who got nailed with some crack who's doing a lot longer than the dude who had the same amount of powdered coke. Where are they to help these people out? Nowhere to be found are they. They loved the Blovi eight and they love the virtue signal, but they don't love to strap on their boots and get down to work. Noac was told as much by his spiritual advisor, which he shared in his letter to the administration. His spiritual advisor, huh, I mean, are you really your spiritual advisor told you that you should help Jeffrey Epstein refurbish his image.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Talk about passing the buck, talk about absolutely passing the buck. Whatever the reason, the reality is that there was no real change in the practical relationship that Epstein had to Harvard beyond his ability to write Harvard a check. The meetings continued, the relationships grew deeper, The conversations on and near campus were many, and there are just tons and tons of people who have talked about this, who have witnessed it, and it's in their report itself, So there's no denying Jeffrey Epstein's presence on the campus and around these professors. What continued as well was PD's need for money. Like Epstein's, PD's rent was substantial. Noak reports that at first after fosse Ban, Harvard had agreed to assume it, but after the financial crisis, Noac was informed that he would have to raise it himself. So again, Harvard is not getting off the hook here, at least not with me. Some people might let them off the hook, but not me. They're the institution here, They're the ones where the buck stops. So after the financial meltdown, you clowns didn't have the money to fund this department. So you told this professor it's up to him to do it himself. And then there was no checks and balances like you had never seen Epstein's name before. All of its smacks of absolute b s. Foundations usually don't give academic grantees money to cover rent, so everyone knew those additional funds would have to be like Epstein's, from private individuals. An FAS Development Office staff member encouraged Noak as late as twenty seventeen to ask Epstein to ask his friends to help. According to the May twenty twenty report, so we want Epstein's money, but we don't want the stink of Epstein on it. So let's have Epstein middle man it and get some of his rich ahole homies to fill the void. And then that'll give us the cover we need because we could say, well, Epstein didn't give us the money. Insert scumbag here did as late as twenty seventeen to ask Epstein to ask his friends to help. Noak followed Harvard's direction, Epstein obliged, securing substantial support from his friend. Oh here's a name that all of you are going to know, Leon D. Black among others. So you see, the Leon Black story just keeps getting deeper and deeper though quicksand as a hold. And we talked about this months ago, months and months and months ago, that Leon Black was in this up to his ears and that he has some explaining to do. Now you add on the new allegations against Leon Black. Oh yeah, oh boy is up up the creek right now without a paddle. There's no doubt about that. Throughout this period, apparently no one with any authority, certainly not the university, not its former president Summers, not its development office, not the dozen or so Harvard's most elite, saw any inappropriateness in this ongoing academic relationship. And that right there says it all. Everybody involved, everybody that was around. If they're still there, if they're still drawing these gigantic ass paychecks at this overpriyst once great university, they should all be fired. A new broom sweeps clean. What they should do is get Morgan Freeman's character from that Stand By Me movie and have him show up at Harvard and whip these guys into shape. Despite the obvious harm that a sex offender could trigger in the members of our community, who themselves might have been victims of sexual abuse. The elite of Harvard's elite continue to nurture a relationship with a sex offender. Yeah, because that's what.
Speaker 2: The elite do.
Speaker 1: I hate to be the bearer of bad news for anyone who holds these people up on high. But the so called elite, Yeah, that's a class of sick ass people, a whole group of people who literally have zero morals and who do not care about anything that does not increase their wealth or their power. And that's not just me saying it. Their actions bear it out. Despite the clarity of all of our views. Now, they apparently so saw no wrong in what all of them were doing then, at least until chapter three, when all worked diligently to forget what had happened between two thousand and eight and twenty and eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: Lessig is going hard in the pain here, he's leaving. He's really shooting from the hip and giving all of these guys the business as he should. It's about time so and at Harvard stood up and did the right thing. Harvard's made twenty twenty reports celebrated Faust's moral clarity, but it identified some details that required further investigation. In March, Harvard completed that determination. It did not release any public accounting. Instead, its conclusions were shared internally by email to the affected departments. Predictably, that email was leaked. And in this day and age, if you have some sort of explosive email and you're in a situation like an institution like Harvard, you have to expect that if the email is getting leaked, so you better be on your game, beyond your p's and q's, and say exactly what you want to say in that email. The effect was completely foreseeable. Airbrush from the history are the many Harvard luminaries who participated in and encouraged the ongoing relationship with Epstein after two thousand and eight. Left standing alone is Noak, ped's academic director.
Speaker 2: Who is now to be disciplined.
Speaker 1: And disciplined is in quotes, he's not wrong, no act, while should be while you should be disciplined, and he should be in big trouble for all of this, and like I said, lose his job. In my opinion, all of these other people need to lose their jobs too. What's protecting them that they're a trustee, that they're so called part of the elite enough already with these people, and thus we the community are allowed the comfortable view that Drew Foss got it right in two thousand and eight, and the university followed her lead, even if even if a very few among us apparently didn't get the memo. So kind of a cover right for Harvard here with that statement, Oh, it's not the whole institution. We got it right with what Foss said, but there are still still some Yes, that doesn't cut it with me. Sorry, everybody who was around, let me be very clear, everybody who was around who was involved when Epstein donated that money, they all need to be fired. Yet this framing is absurd, and its lie is revealed in the thinness of the charges against Martin Noak, because Noak has not been punished for associating with Epstein. How could he be when so many others from Harvard, much more famous and prominent, had associated with Epstein as well. And again it comes back to for me, anyway, this is a Harvard problem, folks. Something stinks at that university. And I wouldn't spend one red cent to send my child there, not one cent. It is absurd what occurred in those alleged hollowed halls. Neither has he been punished because he asked Epstein to help him address PDS funding needs by securing donations from Epstein's friend Leon Black. How could he be when Harvard's Development Development Office itself asked Novak to askin for help. And there's the rub of it, right, And he gets to the heart of the issue, in my opinion, and that is everybody who is there, everybody involved, all of these people that are hitting us with virtuous signaling. Okay, the virtue signaling has to stop by these people. Somebody has to take responsibility for what occurred. You're all making big bucks and with that big money comes big responsibility, or it should.
Speaker 2: Rather.
Speaker 1: Noak is being disciplined because of offenses that are plenty not offenses at all, or that, when committed, we're not viewed as anything more than simple mistakes. The most extraordinary of these is the Charge and Faculty of Arts and Sciences Dean Claudeine Gay's notification to Noak, which states that he exhibited profound negligence in misrepresenting the source of PEDS matching funds to one of his funding sources, the Templeton Foundation. This is a gross misrepresentation in itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Not a big fan of Claudine Gay or the way she handled this. And to make Noak the scapegoat and the only one really getting punished is laughable considering we know the relationship somebody like Larry Summers had with Jeffrey Epstein. If they were to sanction everybody at Harvard who had a relationship with Epstein, those would be some empty.
Speaker 2: Asshols, folks.
Speaker 1: The May Report had speculated this might have happened, but no. AE Emails with the Templeton Foundation revealed that the precise words used to report his funding were actually requested by the foundation. The Templeton Foundation was neither confused or misled, meaning there could be no misrepresentation, so they knew nothing was misrepresented to them. They knew exactly what what they were getting into, they knew what the money was for, and they knew where the money originated. They did not care. And that's really what it comes down to. That's what it boils down to. The balance is just as weak. From the very start, Harvard knew Epstein treated PD as a second office. According to the May twenty twenty report, Harvard knew as early as two thousand and six that Epstein even had his own phone. So again, Epstein has set up, got this office, Larry Summer sets that up, got himself a phone line. He's missed big shit on the campus of Harvard. Now, yeah, I'm Jeffrey Epstein for her college drop out, drop out here, drop out there, but got myself a fellowship at Harvard. What an absolute joke and what disrespect to the people who actually work hard for those fellowships. According to Noak, Summers walked with Epstein as he secured access to ped's offices with his own key card. Not once did he or the university say that this access was wrong or must end. But now Noak is to be disciplined in part because PED gave Epstein a different key card after the Harvard access system had changed. So even after they changed the system, the access system, even after you know, they updated the locks, they had to make sure their boy Epstein was taken care of, right, They had to make sure their golden ticket was taken care of. They had to make sure Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: Was all right.
Speaker 1: Sure, I guess one could say that a university wide change in security protocols was meant to signal to PED that it should stop granting Epstein access to the PED offices. But wouldn't a memo from the ad administration have been a clear and cheaper way to send that message. Well, they got money to burn there, obviously. I mean, with the insane amount of money they charge the students. Every single toilet bowl should be gold plated. They should all be eating five star meals every night in the commissary. And you know, whatever the top Egyptian count sheets are, they got to have those.
Speaker 2: This is Harvard after all.
Speaker 1: Finally, noaks to be disciplined because the Center allowed Epstein's biography to appear on ped's web page after Epstein's publicist requested it. Of course, the story of Center benefactors commonly appear on Center web pages. Of course they do. That's part of it, right, What do you think these guys donate all of this money and they don't get anything on the flip back. Of course they do. But during a period in which Harvard was inviting Jeffrey Epstein to the launch of its capital campaign and the most elite of the elite at Harvard were regularly meeting with Epstein at PED and around Cambridge Fas blames Noak for failing to recognize that it was a misuse of the Harvard dot edu domain to reveal Epstein as a friend of ped wasn't wrong to take his money, okay, wasn't wrong to use him as a benefactor.
Speaker 2: Wasn't wrong to give him an office.
Speaker 1: But it was wrong to let everybody know that all about saving face. It's never about the people who were affected. It's never about the girls who were abused or anything like that.
Speaker 2: You would think, with as much.
Speaker 1: Involvement people from Harvard have, that they'd start their own sort of program here where they'd offer free.
Speaker 2: Courses to these gals.
Speaker 1: None of these offenses would have even been no noticed but for Harvard's need to appear vigilant, if only against one of the very many who continue to engage Epstein at Harvard after two thousand and eight, that one it's scapegoat. It was wrong for Harvard to continued any association with Epstein after two thousand and eight. No one should be forced to live or work in an environment that celebrates in any way a man who crossed this critical line, or woman at that for that matter.
Speaker 2: Let's be very clear.
Speaker 1: Thirty eight percent of people who are engaging in trafficking are women. All right, we went through that report already. But the point stands. Nobody should feel uncomfortable at work, nobody should feel uncomfortable at school. And this environment, I'll tell you what, not an environment I'd want my people in. That's for sure. Sex abuse is permanent, Its survivors carry its costs forever. All of them are entitled the very least to an environment that does not trigger re traumatization. To have suffered from the likes of an Epstein and then see Harvard's most elite, most elite hanging with Epstein is to add injury to insult. And that is a fact. That is definitely a fact, and it's no different. Let's be very clear with Kamala Harris hanging out with Bill Clinton. We have to be consistent here, right, None of these dudes should be given air to breathe if they're involved in this sort of thing. And this wrong is about much more than funding. It's about the continuing relationship with so many at Harvard. Our accounting for that is wildly incomplete, and it betrays the truth and a commitment to institutional integrity to allow Harvard to stand as innocent while one faculty member went rogue. And I look, I couldn't agree more with what he's saying here, folks. I think that noac needs to be disciplined, needs to be punished, but everybody does. I just want I want to drive that point home. The story of Chapter two at Harvard is not the story of one bad apple. It is of an institution blinded by what money, brilliance celebrity from what seems to us now as an obvious moral truth. Of course, we were right not to take Epstein's money after two thousand and eight, but we were deeply wrong to continue to celebrate him at Harvard in all the ways that so many of the most prominent among us did. That is powerful, and he's calling to account all of his colleagues on campus who took part in refurbishing this guy's image and helping him have this access. That wrong is not excused or hidden with a scapegoat. We need an honest accounting of that past and a plan for how Harvard will avoid this failure in the future. Should all criminals be banished, always, should particular criminals those whose crimes particularly affect members of the Harvard community be banished always, and by always I don't mean for any purpose. An event at which a criminal was asked to reflect on at least some crimes or even offer his justification could be different, at least if properly framed, from a workshop in which the criminal is just one more participant, celebrated only, or especially because he happens to be rich. These are hard questions, no doubt, especially in an age of tweet length attention spans. Boy, can I get a clap from the back of the room there? That is exactly the age we're in the attention span.
Speaker 2: Of a tweet.
Speaker 1: But it betrays our tradition hide from these more complicated questions simply because some might misunderstand. We are a university that openly and eagerly engaged with the child sex predator, not just before he was convicted, but long after. How did our culture allow this to happen? And how can we now allow this failure to be obscured by scapegoating just one Yes, Harvard's virtue has been signaled to anyone blind to what actually happened right here among us. But the vice of what happened, the open and regular engagement with a sex offender has not been reckoned. Here it is that which Harvard must finally account for, openly, fairly, and honestly. Well, folks, there you have it, somebody finally connected to Harvard, somebody with a serious voice on campus calling his colleagues to account. If you'd like to contact me, you can do that at Bobby Kapuchi at ProtonMail dot com. That's b O B B y c A p U c c I at ProtonMail dot com. You can also find me on Twitter at b O B B y underscore c A p U c c I. All of the links that go with this episode can be found in the description box.