Speaker 1: Scientists sound the alarm over a troubling phenomenon for forcing them to actually rethink everything. Fordigability has become more of a challenge. I think that our Infidel sixty four has a story Infidel.
Speaker 2: Thanks at the end. As extreme weather events become increasingly unpredictable, researchers struggle to adjust their climate models that keep up with the rising impact of climate change. From shifting ocean currents to unprecedented flooding. The increased volatility of weather is making it difficult to prepare for natural disasters that are hitting vulnerable communities around the world. In this chaotic climate environment, to focus on research and preparedness have never been more critical. However, the very systems meant to protect us are under threat budget cuts and political pressure to reduce climate research finding or weakening the infrastructures needed to monitor and address these growing risks. For decades, powerful corporations of ignored climate change change. They've all so spread information, undermined scientific consensus, all in the name of profit. We now find ourselves in a precarious situation, favous facing climate uncertainty with weakened scientific instruct institutions that should be guiding US storage solutions. The pursuit of corporate profits have led us to this point where the future of both the planet and its people hang in the balance. Are As Malcolm X once said at the assassination of JFK, the chickens are coming home to roost. Now, these stories, I don't remember where they came from, but I'm sure that Cynthia will be more than happy to tell me where they did.
Speaker 1: Cynthia, if I knew, Yeah, get cooled down by Chelsea, Down Chelsea, thank you, Ajayes, thank you Ja down from by col Chelsea Cooks Long February fourteenth, Valentine's Day, twenty twenty five. So you know, God, since you want ahead to introduce the story to us, I'm going to have the first time. I'm going to have the first question come to you. So, if client models are becoming less reliable, what should policymakers prioritize to prepare for unpredictable extremes and weather.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the first mistake is to say that the people in charge now would want to prepare for anything. I think that pretty much what we're seeing is a reactionary let somebody else worry about it. We're not now. Of course, now is a time where we should be increasing funding and focusing on understanding these extreme weather events, because they're going to become more significant, not less. And we see that, and we've continued to see that, but we're going to see this reduction. As I like to look at it, I think of it as an imperfect storm of corporate interest and policy. You know, right now we're seeing a lot of implementation of Project twenty twenty five, and it's that storm inside of another storm where there once again, as I mentioned earlier, they're essentially putting corporate profits over actual research and a climate change because they're driven and motivated by people who quite literally have the opposite desire. That's what their goal is.
Speaker 1: We're to your mother, Glen, I completely completely are down with what you're putting down. Okay, you know, this is kind of funny, like when you think about the recent terminations of federal employees and are civil servants, and they serve in these different agencies that actually, I don't know, do the work on predictability when it comes to climate, it makes no sense to get rid of them, because then if you're going to get rid of the people who are actually qualified to do the work. How in the hell will we have the data going to the future, and how for us to pull these particular issues with I digress. That's like what my dad used to say. You guys know what my dad used to say.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He used to say, Cindy. That's my pet name, by the bat. If you didn't know Cindy, that's too much like right, So Aaron, I want to ask you how how could researchers balance the urgency of solutions like geo engineering with the risk of unintended consquences?
Speaker 3: What do you mean what kind of unintended consequences?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we had Glenn introduced the story where we were talking about how like some of the models that you know, previous climate experts had are not as reliable as they used to be, right, And so now it's to the point where I don't necessarily think that it's this hatchet, but you have, you know, some of our experts still kind of just like, you know, throwing caution to the wind to try to come up with what type of strategy in order for them to battle such things. But if it's not based on a model where it has a more predictable, you know, sense where we can you know, be comfortable. You know, there may be some unintended consequences that come with some of the you know, policies that we come up with just based on observation alone. So how do we quell that? How do we you know, look at like, hey, we really really need to do something and balance it with but there could be a consequence for what we do.
Speaker 3: I'm story, I still, I'm still, I'm not quite sure I understand your question.
Speaker 1: I eloquently laid out to you.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I mean it was PBS like light. You know what I'm saying the way Glenn, I'm going to come.
Speaker 2: To you connecting these dots. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: It's okay, Glenn, based on what I asked, Aaron, if you if you want to go ahead and and pontificate, that's great, And then Aaron, I want you to listen to his answer, and I want you to counter thank you Ken Burn's Momentaron.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it was really good.
Speaker 1: Sorry, God, damn, I felt Morgan Freeman talking and everything. Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I heard PBS music playing in the background at least. But seriously, though, I think that what Cynthia's talking about, and I may be wrong, is the fact that because funding is going to be so inadequate and our current models are so incomplete, that it almost puts us in a paralysis mode because if we start acting upon incomplete data, there could be unexpected consequences that result from that because our models are broken, and our models are broken because a we're accelerating at such a rate and we've continued to underfund this aspect of climate research.
Speaker 3: Anything I think, I know, I am so confused because there's fucking nothing.
Speaker 2: We can do, you know, and confused about your question.
Speaker 3: Because I'm not a meteorologist.
Speaker 2: I don't play one on TV. I don't play on the movie That'll know any like.
Speaker 3: There's really there's the I mean, the only thing we can do is elect government officials that understand that scientists are bipartisan, that by their very nature, they just go where the data goes. They study what weather is doing, They come up with models, and I have to say that the weather models that we they've come up to the past I don't know forty years of my life, have been extraordinary what they can predict and how far ahead they can predict it nowadays is pretty amazing, right, And if we're gonna if if we're going to cut funding on people coming up with new models to match what's happening to our climate, yeah, we're fucked. There's nothing we can do. I can't hire meteorologists, right. All we can do is elect people that believe in climate change, that believe that science is are is nonpartisan issues that what the data says is what the data says. Elect people that don't change weather maps to include affected areas that were actually affected. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, taking care of the planet is good for everybody, right, Who doesn't want clean air, who doesn't want clean water, who doesn't want to know where a hurricane's going to end so they can get the heck out of dodge, who doesn't want to be protected, who doesn't want to make sure that our natural resources are sustainable and that they're always available and always useful for us. It's the partisan portion of climate change just is flabbergasts me.
Speaker 2: Does that answer your.
Speaker 3: Question, Cynthia?
Speaker 2: Yes? And I'm going to agree with one thing you said er to say, all right, is the fact that you're right, there's nothing we can do, right, now, because the bottom line is the group of people that are in power right now are going to make this situation worse because, ay, you ask who doesn't care? There are people in this country who value profit over the long term well being of the planet, for themselves, for their children, for their grandchildren, and they're showing that, they're demonstrating that. So what can we do right now? We're behind the eight ball. We're already behind don't climate change, and we're going to get further behind. That's what's going to happen now. What are the ramifications of this? Well, of course, vulnerable communities are going to be at risk. You know, we're seeing Project twenty twenty five and I hate to bring it up again, but it really pervades everything that's going on now, and we're seeing them work to cut these very programs. So until we get the people who have Project twenty twenty five in their brains out of our government, we're not going to impact it at all.
Speaker 1: You know, Aaron, I'm very disappointed because I feel that you have not gotten your fill on nature documentaries on PBS and that really shames me. So when you leave this recording, I need you to catch up and start with the March of the Penguins narrated by Morgan Freeman.
Speaker 3: I will watch anything narrated by Morgan Freeman.
Speaker 1: I know, I know he has that voice, like, you know, the penguins are walking down or whatever the hell he says. It's been a while since I watched that. Ay J, let me bring you into the conversation. I'm just listen.
Speaker 4: I'm just over here.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, we don't. We don't want you just to be you know, you know somebody that's actually just like looking. I want you to participate too. So I think that we Glenn and Aaron kind of touched on us a little bit. But like, if you you know, want to add a bit more to the discourse, I really would appreciate it. What role should governments play in funding climate research? I mean, like one of the things that we saw immediately on day one is that, you know, the Trump administration recoiled from the crime the Paris Climate Climate Accords after Biden put us back in the Paris Climate the courts and we are pushing and we have taken down actual data that has been collected by you know, geologists and other climate experts that really talked about you know, weather patterns, you know changes and like you know how it's affecting us as an elect from you know, the White House website. So with that being said, what should our government play? What role should the government play and actually funding this research, especially when proposing cuts which we see so much right now while others are increasing investments.
Speaker 4: I think they should play a key mode in funding this type of research. It's like a basic thing that they can do for the American people. Okay, in the American as we said earlier, we need protections to be able to know if a hurricane is coming, if any type of natural disaster is coming. You want to have the federal government on your side funding research that is bipartisan, that is not just you know, one side or the other. And that's what scientists do. They getting to the new control of it, and they find they follow the data, they follow the facts. They're not like, oh, hey, you know, let's go make this hurricane democratic.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So, but the problem that we're seeing now, as Infidel stated, is Project twenty twenty five. Their target seem to be as far as as climate okay, and the weather services they've been targeting. Noah, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. They plan to privatize it so that it only provides data to private companies in all about the profits. So it calls for, like the Project twenty twenty five ideas about global warming and climate change and weather patterns, calls for reviewing things like the work of the National Huroce Center, asking that they remain more neutral with their communications and that they no longer make points about climate change being you know, a factoring in like increasing streng a number of hurricanes and such things. And of course the plan includes this bending research about climate change specifically, which is a shocker. So when at this point we have our government completely failing to protect the American people from the thread of global warming and climate change, that's when people have to take it upon themselves to make some changes to try to compe the situation. We may not be you know, meteorologists or be able to do anything about the science behind it, but we can do things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: People need to realize that unless they give a fuck about climate change and keep talking about it, then nothing will get done from the top down. Otherwise, I think that people believe that their individual impact is never going to be enough. But if we look at other efforts, like I don't know, like there is strength in numbers. If you look at the protests that have been going around these days, like we have one person and that person brings somebody and that other person brings somebody.
Speaker 1: Then you're gonna have a pot of people.
Speaker 4: You're gonna have a chain of people. So what people can do to make a difference as far as global warming? And I understand that some people are more privileged than others, and that you know that not everybody can afford to do all of the things. But if you can afford to do one of the things, then do that one thing all right, like choo screen energy like if you can, if you can afford and changing your vehicle or putting solar partnets obviously that's that's like a really big big ticket one. But no car pulling, switch your light, bulls, recycle, watch what kind of packaging you buy items in. If you can bring your release of back to the store, bring it. You can make guard with a piece of fabric, right and prevent a lot of waste of plastic bags, use taper straws, whatever. Incorporate more plant based foods into your diet, like all of these little things are up, and like I said, I get personally do all of these things, and I do the want to stand out of feasible for me. But imagine if every single person cold enough to do one or two of these things, we could not have an impact.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like crazy to me. And I hear what you're saying, Like you know, as an electorate, we can you know, take some type of personal accountability in order for us to be able to reduce our carbon footprint because we care about our environment. But you know, if we if we want to keep it a buck, if we were to want to keep it like you know, all the way one hundred. We know that you know, the majority of the issues that we're having concerning climate change, waste and and even like you know, when it comes to environmental issues, when it comes when it comes to even like you know, gross negligence on how we treat our you know, the environment around us, it's mostly a corporate issue. And unfortunately, as much as like you know, I want to eat as many avocados as possible in my diet, you know, because you know that to nature's butter versus butter, I understand. I still understand that if less we actually have like you know, more corporations buying into hey, you need to take more accountability on how you actually are participating as a global neighbor and what you do as far as I practice is a concerned then we're going to have and we're going to really have like a problem because like the main people who are doing the waste is not being held accountable, nor are they really you know, buying into making changes the way that they ought to in order to stop waste. And I find it.
Speaker 5: Extremely problematic that the very agency that has dedicated its mission to understanding and predicting Earth climate change.
Speaker 1: Is being told not to report on Earth climate change. I mean, that's insane to me. But you know, unfortunately we're in brazarro Earth, guys. And and and I don't know, I understand, like, you know, there's like all these I don't know how many earths are in like the DC world. Is it like ten or is it infinite? Or does anybody right the quickly line with an eight that's on the side. What the hell? Oh my god, it's crazy. But you know, guys, I suppose like this last question and I'm just gonna go ahead and just do a round Robin. I would like for all of you all to kind of just like chime in if you don't mind. And I think that Aja you touched on this. So I'm going to go to Aaron and Glenn for this. How can individuals and communities adapt to extreme weather patterns without solely relying on uncertain scientific predictions. Aaron, I want you to start, and then Glenn I want you to follow up.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, that's tough. I would say, just to listen to the scientists. Listen to the experts, find people that understand, because I don't, I don't know, I can little don't know enough to answer that question. So I would seek out scientists and people that do understand on what we can do to prepare and get ready for and handle these events, because from what I understand, they're not going to go away. They're going to keep happening. They're going to increase in frequency, They're going to increase in severity.
Speaker 2: We have a problem.
Speaker 4: We have.
Speaker 3: Climate change is a problem, and as long as we don't recognize it as a problem and try to solve it, it's just going to get worse.
Speaker 2: I've got to say that the solution's really easy depending on which side you're on, because one side, their solution is profit over people, because that's what we're seeing demonstrated. So what's going to happen to those people, Well, some of them are going to die, some are going to be financially disadvantaged, many of them are going to end up relocating because there are things that are going to continue to happen. Is and the more we ignore this problem, the faster we have this runaway ball just going down straight towards us with the bullseye painted right on us. And their solution is, well, you know what, if we close our eyes really tight and don't say anything about climate change, we don't have a problem.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like I heard someone mention today. It's a person I actually frequent a chat room with, and he's like, you know, when we're coming down to saying there's not a problem, he says, if you have a guy jumping out of an eight story building for seven floors, are going to no no problem here, everything's fine, everything's good. But eventually you hit the ground. And that's what we're facing. We're we're heading full speed into the ground, and they're one to say okay, well, floor six, seven, seven, eight, seven, sixty five four three two said no problem, So we're good. And it's having to force people to address that because until this group that's promoting this Project twenty twenty five slash and dash mentality. While I agree with AJ that there are things that we can do and should do just because we should be responsible adults and being responsible me not just shitting around the whole world around you, but beyond those, this is a situation that's going to require people who do not have our best interest at heart of being taken out of their position because the bottom line is as long as the people who want Project twenty twenty five in office, and they're the ones who are doing these and cabinet positions and all these positions that are doing harmed us where along for the ride. So all we can do is oh, floor seven, floor six, floor five, floor four, because they're not going to tell us anymore what's coming. But it's obviously anyone paying attention, guys.
Speaker 1: We are in an air where officials who are tauted as experts are looking at issues like climate change as no big and unfortunately the ones who are affected the most by it, see the problem, but we're choked because the people who really need to recognize it and do something about it RNL