Speaker 1: Let's say good morning now to the host of Rich on tech right here on KFI KTLA's tech reporter Rich DeMuro. Rich, you're playing with folding phones.
Speaker 2: Yes, Samsung's got two new foldable phones, the z Fold seven and the z Flip seven. Notable improvements on the fold This is the one that opens up like a book. The outside screen is way bigger. It's actually usable this time compared to previous models. The inside screen is even bigger. It's now eight inches, which means it's essentially a mini tablet in your pocket that you can unfold. They also put their best camera on this device for the first time. It's a two hundred megapixel camera, which is really great for folks that want to use this. The trade off is that they removed support for the spen that's their stylus, you know, that little thing you can use to write on the screen. And they also increase the price, so it is now two thousand dollars. Wow, but yeah, I know, but you're getting two and one. You get the phone and the tablet. You got to look on the bright side. So nobody pays full price for Samsung devices. There's always some sort of discounter trade in then they've got the Flip seven. This is the one that's probably better for most people. It's the one that opens up like the old school flip phones, except the entire outside screen when it's closed is a screen. Now it's pushed all the way to the edges. The inside screen is much wider, so it feels more like a proper phone when you open it up. The downside to this one is there's really not one actually, so people seem to like this thing a lot. Eleven d dollars for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the flip one when it's folded is it's a square pretty much right correct, And it's got the same screen, just smaller as what happens when you open it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's got an outside screen that you can do a lot of things on, not everything, but you can do a lot on there. And yes, it's much bigger. And the cool thing about this form factor that people may not realize is that you're always using your best cameras to take your pictures. So whether you're capturing a selfie or a selfie video or an actual you know, camera photo, you're always using those front facing cameras, which are the best cameras on the device. It's kind of hard to imagine in your head, but you're literally always shooting with the best cameras on this phone, which is why people like it as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then my other question was you mentioned that they put the really good camera on the Is it on both of them or just on the Galaxy the Z fold just on the fold?
Speaker 2: Okay, just on the fold.
Speaker 1: Do you have to unfold the camera to use it or can you use it when it's closed?
Speaker 2: No, you can use that one when it's closed. You can use them both when they're closed, or you can use them when they're open. But you know, the it's very They call it the flex screen the flex hinge because it's flexible. You can do whatever you want with these things. You can use them open, you can use them closed. There are various benefits to both of those, you know orientations. So look, these are for people that want something different, that want something new, that wants something unique and and yes, there are some productivity and creator benefits to having this form factor, but it's not for everyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, But you're enjoying it, you like it.
Speaker 2: I think they're really cool. I mean no, I really do think they're cool. I'm not sure they're for me personally, but I'm still testing. It's only been a couple of days, and all, let's put it this way, every single tech person I know, they're all loving these things like they're going and just gaga over them because it's finally gotten to a place where these phones are usable for the average person. And that's a really good thing on Samsung's part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've not seen any in real life. I think I saw you do a story on it earlier, but I've not actually seen or touched one of them. So it'll be interesting to see more people start buying them.
Speaker 2: I look out for these things and so I see them all the time, and every time I see when, I'm like, Okay, that person's pretty cool, Like they're on the cutting edge here.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's something else that's pretty cool. AI's making some magic with your photos.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. If you have access to Google Gemini, Like if you're paying for Gemini, which is their AI it's twenty bucks a month, but you might be paying for it. You have access to this cool new feature that brings photos to life. You upload a picture, you describe the scene, and Jem and I will take a minute or two and literally make an eight second video out of that scene. So it basically brings the photo to life. I've tested this with a bunch of different pictures. I took one of the studio at KTLA and I said, hey, have a giant elephant marching through the studio, and it did like my kid watched it last night. He goes, I can't believe how realistic that is. So this is using VO three, which is their text to video generation system, and it should put Hollywood ONU noticed because it's pretty wild. How good this is?
Speaker 1: Okay? And does it do? Is it just video? It doesn't? It doesn't add audio? Or can you add audio to your little video clip?
Speaker 2: Yes, it does add audio, so you can say, like I did another one of a bee buzzing around a flower and it added the buzzing sound. Now it didn't sound completely real. It's like a little hyper realistic. But believe me, this is day like seven of this technology, and it's really good and scary good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always like to include scary when I'm talking about AI, but that's just might just be me. Okay, this is something that is not scary. And speaking of magic, you get you got to go behind the scenes with Disney Imagineering and uh, I'm jealous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just as cool as I imagined. When Disney calls you and says, hey, do you want to see behind the scenes, you say yes, no matter what. And I went to Glendale, this is where Imagineering is headquartered, and I got to play with a lightsaber, interact with a cute robot. I got to check out their new infinite floor that they have and the thing, I think it's just it's called hollow tile and it's basically they invented this floor where you can walk on it. It's like a treadmill that goes in like every direction all at once, so you can walk infinitely forever in the same spot. I mean, they're gonna use it for like attractions. They don't know what they're gonna use it for yet, but it's like this new thing they invented, really really cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's your story today on KTLA. So if people want to get some some sneak peaks at what you got to see, that would be a good time to watch that on KTLA.
Speaker 2: Let me just ad I know we got to go. Let me add one more thing yep, I thought that everyone at the Imagineers was an engineer or an artist. It takes like one hundred different backgrounds. So if you're looking for a job, go to the Imagineering website. I'm not kidding. They have like seventy five jobs open right now, all kinds of different backgrounds. Whatever you do, you can bring that to the table. So that was my biggest takeaway there.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's kind of cool. I love that that they're integrating all kinds of different people.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right.
Speaker 1: Rich Demiro the host of rich on Tech right here on KFI every weekend. When is it Saturday from eleven to two, right, And of course you can watch them on KTLA five in La. And you can follow Rich on Instagram at rich on Tech. And I know that you put up that lightsaber on your Instagram because I saw it earlier this week. You can also get his free newsletter rich on Tech dot cog TV. Richardimiro, thanks so much
Speaker 2: Thanks Amy, You have a great day.