Speaker 1: That's say, good morning now to the host of how to Money on KFI. It's our very own Joel Larscard Joel.
Speaker 2: Uh. Yes, you know how they.
Speaker 1: Say one person's trash is another person's treasure.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you say that this has been driven home for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, so I have found this to be true in my life of different periods in the past. But this article in Indie Week caught my attention, and this the author said, Hey, you know what I did. I went around to you know, a bunch of college college students are graduating right now, and she went to her local university and found the kind of things being just tossed aside, thrown away. We're quite nice that these college students were saying, I got to get out of here, got my degree, and they just left a bunch of stuff in the dumpster around the dumpster on the curb. And so she was able to score almost seven thousand dollars worth of free goods because yeah, people are piecing and they're getting rid of their stuff. And I've just found this to be true in my own life too, that sometimes people are done with something. My wife's got rid of some perfectly nice tennis shoes the other day. She was like, they're just that they don't fit me right anymore, and so someone's totally going to score if we give those to good will, which we probably will. So I think it's just just a good reminder to say, one person's trash is another person's treasure, and if you're the thoughtful kind of person who's on the lookout, you might be able to score a deal and score something essentially free.
Speaker 1: I think gently used as a lovely thing. Yeah, one of my best friends and I have the same sized shoe. Most of most of my best friends don't have the same size shoe, but we swap shoes back and forth all the time. It's like, I don't want to wear these anymore. Will don't look at me that way. They're still clean all right anyway, So yes, I agree with you. Well let's move on, because you will still give me the stink eye.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to say I've had friends legit start businesses from this where they're like, wait, they see like an inefficiency where the nice stuff gets donated to a certain place, or they're grad at like curb pickups and stuff like that. I'm just saying keep your eyes open, keep your mind open to the possibility that somebody else a's this card might be something that you can pull into your life and use.
Speaker 1: Well, look at like the real real They've made a fortune off of this one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent, and there's like all sorts of Peloton just launched a used store, right, so they're they're trying to recycle goods for their customers. The truth is, though, in so many instances, you're going to do better by cutting out the middle van, going straight to Facebook marketplace and buying that used Peloton yourself directly from somebody who doesn't want it anymore, instead of paying Peloton twice as much for the privilege of buying the use Peloton from them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Okay, So Campbell's came out with a study saying that more people are eating at home, and they're home, their soup sales are up and that kind of stuff because people are worried about the economy. But you're saying that your numbers don't jive with that.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I'm not saying my numbers don't drive with that. I'm saying it's one small little data point, and so it's interest saying how that Campbell's coming out and saying, hey, people are buying more not just of their can soups, but of like pasta sauce and crackers and stuff like that too. They're basically saying definitively, people are cooking at home more. And that's kind of sort of true. Maybe right now a small trend back towards cooking at home, but when you look at the overall trend over the past decade, it's been a significant trend of people eating out more than they cook at home. That's really never been the case until really recent history. And when you look at the price discrepancy of cooking at home versus eating out, it's massive. We're talking average meal in of four dollars per person average eating. The average cost of eating out is seventeen dollars per person per meal. So if you're taking a family five out to eat, you're dropping a hundred bucks. If you're eating in as a family, you're talking about twenty bucks. And that adds up significantly. And so we've seen a greater discrepancy in the cost of eating out and cook me at home, and so, yeah, growth we talk about how expensive groceries are, but the truth is it's so much cheaper to buy the groceries and to cook at home. It's important to have a plan to actually use this up that you buy, and to not just say on a whim, now we're gonna go out to eat tonight, because and I get that I've fallen. I have fallen into that cycle at times in the past where you just don't feel like it that night. That's why it's so important a meal plan ahead of time and maybe even bash cooked on the weekend. That can help a lot of people actually stick to the plan of eating at home instead of eating out, because that can be such a backbreaking cost.
Speaker 1: You're making me feel bad. I did that yesterday. I was like, I don't feel like cooking. I'm going to the to my little ginger grass in my neighborhood and it was lovely and I have leftovers, so I got two meals in one.
Speaker 2: There you go, two meals in one. And I don't want to guilt people into saying like you can't eat out, you shut pan and should like just budget for it and make sure you're not doing it like thoughtlessly. And another thing that helps me with that is just having a few different frozen foods that we know are reason healthy and then we could pop in in a pinch. So like when we weren't planning on eating out, we don't eat out. We kind of keep the eating at home and eating out budget impact that way.
Speaker 1: Here's my recommendation, and Bill Handle would be happy about this because it's from Costco. It's the salmon burgers. They're frozen and they make a lovely little meal. You can put them on a burger, just eat them as a patty and they're kind of last second if you forget and you want to eat healthy still and the.
Speaker 2: Creator Josie Costco both do a great job with like frozen, pre made meal. So I think, you know, people have a lot of options for that, but definitely look towards some of those some of those frozen options that can be healthy and tasty.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like everything that Joel tells us, we just need to plan for it, make sure that we've got a plan so we don't overspend, and then go and enjoy a good meal. Joel Larsguard, host of how to Money on KFI every Sunday from noon to two. You can also follow him at how to Money. Joel. Thank you Joel Larsgard. Thanks Amy, all right, we'll talk to you next week.