Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County KAFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call and landed.
Speaker 2: And his name is Amy k Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: This is not It is five o'clock straight up, this Friday morning, May sixteenth, twenty twenty five. In case there was any doubt what year we were in, this is.
Speaker 3: Your wake up call. I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, and just happy you're joining us to get your day started. I don't know how your day's starting, but hopefully it's a little bit more perky than mine.
Speaker 4: Somebody's got a cold.
Speaker 1: Somebody's got a cold. I totally blame it on Deborah Mark. I traveled around the world. I don't think I got it from the plane. I think I got it from Deborah. It's a tough one to call. It is tough to talk about she's a mess right now.
Speaker 5: But you also did.
Speaker 1: Travel, and have you ever done this where you know how you just feel a little punky and like it's almost like you have extra gravity when you're walking around you Today everything feels a little heavy and like, you know, you just don't have that spring in your step. So I'm like, I'm gonna go to bed early. I'm gonna get a good night's sleep. And I was in bed by seven thirty and I get up at two thirty, So that's that's that would have been seven hours right, good? Yeah, Yeah. Then I woke up at nine thirty, and I woke up at ten thirty, of course. Then I woke up at eleven thirty, of course. Then I woke up at twelve thirty, and then I woke up at one thirty and then got up at my normal two thirty time. So not exactly well rested. I hate when that happens. Like I was, like, I was so excited because I got to bed early. But anyway, that's neither here nor there for you. You've got to get ready for your day, and we're going to help you do that. Here's what's ahead on wake up call them Menendez Brothers may get a shot at parole sooner than expected. ABC NEWSS Governor Newsom's changed a hearing scheduled for June thirteenth from a clemency to a parole board hearing, which could speed up the process for release. If a parole board recommends release, the governor still needs to approve it for the Brothers. Community leaders have called for the creation of a two hundred million dollar fund to help fire survivors now to Dina stay in their community. At a rally yesterday, officials said they need the state's help to keep real estate speculators from swooping in and forcing longtime residents out. A report shows almost of the ninety four properties sold since the fire in January, almost half have been bought by corporate investors. Russia and Ukraine are scheduled to sit down for face to face meetings for the first time in three years to talk about ending the three year old war. President Putin and President Zelensky are not there for it. The two countries meeting in Turkey will be represented by lower levered level delegations. ABC's Karen Travers has been traveling around the Middle East with President Trump. We're going to find out what has been accomplished and what was left on the table as the President heads back to the US. That's coming up at five twenty. The latest TikTok challenge can do more than break your chromebook. It could be dangerous. ABC's Jim Ryan is going to join us in just a couple of minutes to tell us about the challenge that has gone viral around the US. What's your Style? The host of Home on KFI, our own Dean Sharp's going to help you find yours. He says it's an important part of making your house feel more like a home. Can't wait to talk to him about that. That's at the bottom of the hour, and then Saturday Night Live wraps up its fiftieth season. Paul Rudd is cringe worthy. We'll find out if that's a good thing. And we all know that grammas can cook, So what happens when you fill a kitchen with them. That's all coming up with ABC's Wielgans at the top of the right before the top of the hour, right around five fifty, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA County has purchased and wiped clean around one hundred and eighty three million dollars in residence medical debt.
Speaker 6: The county decided last year that it would buy medical debt cheaply and forgive it. They say it would stop residents from falling prey to aggressive debt collectors. Supervisor Jennis Hahn says the clean slate is clean. It won't be classified as income, it won't be tax and doesn't have to be paid back.
Speaker 7: And most importantly, this debt relief comes with no strings attached.
Speaker 6: One hundred and thirty four thousand low income residents will receive notice of the debt wipeout. County residents oh more than two billion dollars in medical debt. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The state Assembly has passed to bill that makes it a felony in California to buy a sixteen or seventeen year old for sex. Several demic We're against the provision in AB three seven nine, but Assembly Member Carl Demyo says public pressure forced them to cave. The bill now heads to the state Senate. Seventeen family members of Joaquin El Chapo Guzman's son have been given protection in the US. The family crossed into the US at the O Tai Mesa Port of entry. Recently, El Chapo's son a video, replaced his father as the head of the Sineloa cartel before he was captured.
Speaker 2: This is definitely a very unique situation.
Speaker 5: You know, the son who's in prison. I'll talk, but you need to protect my family.
Speaker 1: Attorney Caesar Luna says Guzman is changing his plea and will likely testify against other cartel leaders, which is why his family needed to get out of Mexico. They are currently in protective custody. A judge in La has denied a request for a restraining order to keep La Zoo officials from moving two elephants to Tulsa, Oklahoma. A man who lives in La had filed for the order, and an emergency hearing was held yesterday. The man's lawyer, Melissa Lerner, says the judge's ruling was largely on the basis that the issue should be taken up with the city council and the mayor.
Speaker 8: And frankly, the judge encouraged the public to reach out to their city council members and to mayribas to tell them that this is unconscionable and unacceptable.
Speaker 1: The director of the La Zoo has said Billy and Tina will be moved as soon as they're ready. Activists don't want them to go to the zoo in Oklahoma. They say it's not good enough. They say that they would be better off at a sanctuary in Tennessee. Let's now check in with ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, we got another TikTok challenge, and this one's not like the ice bucket challenge. This one is potentially pretty dangerous.
Speaker 9: Yes, there's nothing positive about this one at all. Nobody knows where it started. Nobody knows when it started or who's responsible for it. But all over the country, kids have been putting metal objects into the USB ports of their laptops. Chromebooks are the ones that so many school districts are using now issuing to their kids, and that's why this is called the chrome book challenge.
Speaker 7: Jamie.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and once you shove a metal object in there, there's a spark Lithian Yeah, spark fire smoke. Schools evacuated, you know, and the fire department shows up. Well, yeah, the kid and very often these kids are posting video of themselves doing this. This is sort of the point of the whole thing to get a little bit of Internet fame. Well, they're also finding themselves in some cases facing serious criminal charges. Thirteen year old girl on Long Beach thirteen was arrested last week after she apparently took part in this. She's a middle schooler at Lidsey Academy and it's accused now of setting her laptop on fire.
Speaker 1: Well, this is wrong on so many friends because one, it's not their top, it's not their own property, that's school property, right that the chromebooks are issued to the students. Yeah, so one, you're destroying somebody else's property. And then the chromebooks have lithium batteries in them, don't they right, Okay, so that makes a whole other issue very difficult.
Speaker 9: This is why you can't carry a lithium ion battery and your checked luggage because if that thing catches fire in the cargo hold of a plane, there are serious problems, hard to fight very smoky, toxic smoke from this thing. And yeah, you're looking at your laptop doing the same thing. So yeah, there are our health consequences potentially, then the danger of having a fire sitting there. You know, there's nothing good about this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you said that the thirteen year old in Long Beach, I do remember we mentioned that. So do you think they're going to actually charge her? Are they trying to scare her? Do we know yet?
Speaker 9: I think she might face some charge. I mean they're juvenile charges, but it is it's serious.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: And the damage in that case out there at Long Beach was isolated to the chromebook itself. But the parents, at the very least they're gonna have to pay for the chromebook that was destroyed. And you're finding this all over the country. The damage for this is it's the responsibility to the parents, whether it's the laptop, the desk, the floor, they you know, the fire department coming out. So this is not just a trivial thing. And kids need to know that.
Speaker 1: How widespread is this? I know it's gone viral, but I mean.
Speaker 9: I've heard cases in California, Arizona, Florida, Texas, Connecticut. They had a rash of them, like like fifteen of them in just a couple of weeks time. So it's not just one part of the country. It's all over the place.
Speaker 1: All Right, Mom and dad, time to have a little chat with the kids. Yeah, yeah, shake.
Speaker 9: Them, shake them up a bet. I mean, come on, this is really dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get back to the ice bucket challenge. That's a much better one. There you go, all right, right, ABC Jim Ryan thinks is always for the information. Have a great weekend, you too. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Officials from Russia and Ukraine have arrived in Turkey for cease fire negotiations. ABC's Ian Pannell says Russian President Putin was a no show yesterday despite Ukrainian President Zelensky's willingness to meet.
Speaker 10: Is it positive even sits in the same room, Well, yes, because that hasn't happened for three years. Is Russia willing to make any concessions? We just don't know at this point. Is Ukraine, Well, Ukraine's been far more open about what it's willing to say, what it's willing to do.
Speaker 1: Zelensky invited Putin for a face to face meeting, but even mid level Russian representatives have not met with the Ukrainians yet. If they do meet today, as they are scheduled to do, it'd be the first time they sat down since the war started. President Trump has wrapped up his Mid East tour in the United Arab Emirates with a breakfast for business leaders and a visit to an inter faith place of worship. Is visit to Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates outlined a vision for restoring global stability. Trump also signed some economic deals and pledged to continue the US's partnership with the UAE. Former FBI director James Komy is facing an investigation after a social media post that appears to have threatened the president. Komy posted a picture of some seashells on a beach ranged to spell out eighty six forty seven. Komy later posted that he wasn't aware that there was anything threatening in the post and took it down. Two of the biggest cable companies in the US are looking to merge. The deal between Charter and Coxcommunications would be worth more than thirty four billion dollars and a better cable Prices would go up because there'd be less choice. Yeay, an ingredient found in many energy drinks, has been linked to a higher risk of blood cancers. Tourine is an amino acid. It occurs naturally in parts of the human body. It's also found in energy, drinks, protein powers, and foods like meat, fish, and eggs.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Researchers from the University of Rochester have found that those leukemia cells can use additional tourine to grow and spread, kind of like a booster. What's the difference between red and black? Apparently not much. Gingers are black.
Speaker 11: A viral video with more than sixty four million views claims all white redheads or gingers are basically black people, which has opened to floodgate for white people to tell their story. People with no Soul have talked about everything from educational bias to bullying. Black supporters also posted in support, with one saying I never thought I'd hear a white person say they wish they were black.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 11: Scientific explanations say red hair comes from a mutation in the MC one R gene that also plays a major role in the production of melanin. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 1: A mutation thanks grow all right, The Dodgers take on the Angels. First pitch goes out tonight at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the games all season long on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the Dodgers games n HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword is AM five to seventy LA Sports and be sure to visit these en She Sushi counter at raups for your chance to win a baseball Sweet Life experience to a game in may Zen she handcrafted sushi made fresh daily. Some trees that were chopped down by a guy with a chainsaw in downtown La are being replaced. A tree planning event is being held this morning. A man's been arrested for an unprovoked attack on woman in Culver City. Police say a woman was grabbed by the head Tuesday morning. The guy pulled her to the ground and repeatedly punched her. Police found him nearby and arrested him. Metro is closing its d Or Purple Line for the next seventy days starting tomorrow. There will be no train service to the Wilshire, Vermont, Wilshire, Normandy and Wilshire Western stations during the closure. It's expected to reopen at the end of July. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers.
Speaker 2: Karen.
Speaker 1: President Trump wrapped up his four day World Wind Tour of the Middle East was welcomed in a big way. At the United Arab Emirates.
Speaker 12: Oh, I mean, the red carpets were rolled out in every country. There was even a purple one in the Saudi Arabia for the president. But you know, at every stop there was a similar theme where it was pomp and circumstance of state dinner in every country for the president, and the focus was on business and economic ties and opportunity for investment in the United States. There were a lot of American CEOs who were here at each stop doing these business and investment forums with the president, so he was meeting with them. He was meeting with business leaders from the region and the countries that he was visiting. All were making massive commitments to invest in the United States, to work with states, to work with American companies. We now have to see how all that plays out and whether or not they live up to those commitments. Here in the UAE, it's a one point four trillion dollar investment commitment over the next decade. They signed an agreement yesterday specifically about a two hundred billion dollars in deals in partnerships, including a data center here in the UAE that would be powered by American made semiconductor chips. So that's something specific and tangible. But again for the President, this is all about growth, jobs, investment, creating all of that back in the US.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Karen, there, what I've heard is that, like you just said, there's a lot of investment in the US, what are they getting from US in exchange for this?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean that's a big question too, Like they will be investing there. They say that they're growing their businesses by investing in the United States, getting favorable opportunities to do that, and you know there are investments in return here. You're going to have American companies that are working here. The CEOs of many tech companies. We're in Saudi Arabia and cutter this week with the President because they're talking about what they want to do here. The President highlighted riod as an emerging technology capital, and you can see that some of those companies want to see what they can do here. There are many Warner Brothers, Disney who are doing business in Abu Dhabi right now because they see this as a big place where there is opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you mentioned all the fanfair and stuff, I will tell you, and the UAE seeing that the tallest building in the world lit up with the starsn stripes, that was pretty cool looking at Yeah, kind of empire shame, uh, empire state building the shame, not to shame, but it was pretty impressive.
Speaker 12: Well but you know, yeah, they certainly have done a lot of pomp circumstances. I mean they're camels and two of the countries that did kind of a big welcome for the president. And he loves this stuff. He loves it and they know he loves it, and that's why they did it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're headed home. Now, how long a flight is it?
Speaker 12: Ooh, fourteen and a half hours. We leave in about fifteen hours after we've finish our full.
Speaker 2: Day of work.
Speaker 12: The president's already actually heading back. He'll do a refueling stuff, but he's already on Air Force one to head back to the US.
Speaker 5: But we'll work.
Speaker 12: Another day here to wrap up and then head back.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll have a safe trip back. I hope you get to see lots of good movies on your flight.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 13: I have a great day, all right.
Speaker 1: Take care. ABC's Karen Travers from the Middle East. Health officials say the bird flu outbreak that started last year could be finally slowing down. In California, the.
Speaker 14: State was the epicenter, with seventy percent of cases in dairy cattle and thirty eight out of seventy confirmed human cases nationwide. Human cases mostly affected dairy and poultry workers. California has recorded seven hundred and sixty six infected dairy herds across twelve counties. Concerns do remain about a potential resurgence. Wild Birds, the primary source of bird flu, move north to Alaska and northern Canada in the spring and return back south in the fall.
Speaker 1: Dina Kodiak KFI News. Phillips sixty six has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of violating the Clean Water Act. The government accuses the energy company of dumping hundreds of thousands of gallons of wastewater, including oil and grease, into the La County sewer system. The company is facing five years probation and fines of about two point four million dollars. Phillips sixty six announced last year that it plans to close its refinery operations in La in October. The company operates the crude oil processing facility in Carson and a finishing plant in Wilmington. The country's first no cost surgery center has opened in Orange County. Volunteer surgeons will do operations and other procedures for free for low income and uninsured patients at the new state of the art medical facility. Surgeries are expected to start in a few weeks. The goal is to start with about thirty free surgeries every month. A judge has refused to dismiss charges related to the murder of acting actor Johnny Whacter in downtown La.
Speaker 15: La County Superior Court judge there is sufficient evidence to allow the case against two nineteen year old men to move forward. The thirty seven year old whactor, who appeared on General Hospital, was shot to death last May after approaching a group of people trying to steal the catalytic converter from his car. Both suspects have pleaded not guilty to one count teacher of murder and attempted second degree robbery. Daniel Martindale KFI News.
Speaker 1: A former assistant city manager in Lacanata, Flintridge, is facing dozens of charges for allegedly stealing about two hundred thousand dollars from the City, La County Prosecutor say Carl Alameda sent demand letters to insurance companies over a six year period claiming their insured drivers had crashed into city property. The insurance money was sent to an account controlled by Alameda. Vice President JD. Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio are not headed home from the Middle East with President Trump just yet. They're heading instead to the Vatican to attend the inaugural Mass of Popelo the fourteenth that happens on Sunday. Leo is the first American Pope. He was a cardinal in Chicago before he was elected this month. Vice President Vance is Catholic, and it also met with Polpe Francis shortly before Francis died. Actor Don Joe Baker, Actually sorry, Joe Don Baker has died.
Speaker 7: Joe Don Baker was a big, tough look a actor who got his start in sixties and seventies TV, mostly playing heavies. He stood out in supporting roles in crime classics Charlie Verick with Walter Mathow in The Outfit with Robert Duvall. Then he graduated to lead in Mitchell, which became a mystery science theater three thousand classic and Walking Tall, which became a drive in classic. He went on to star in Fletch and three James Bond films. Baker died May seventh, and his family hasn't given a cause of death. Funeral services will be next week in Mission Hills. Baker was eighty nine, Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 1: So many older actors are passing away. I know that when I looked at this story, it was like, who is Joe Don Baker? But when you look at his picture, it's one of those actors where he might not have known his name, but you definitely know who he was. Sad to lose him. The popular video game Fortnite has been blocked on iOS platforms. At Games made the announcement today after Apple blocked an effort to get the game back on the app Star. The game was pulled from the app store back in twenty twenty after Epic Games updated its software in an effort to get around Apple's thirty percent commission to say. A federal judge in LA's threatened to throw out a lawsuit filed by Taylor Swift fans against Ticketmaster. The fans have accused the Beverly Hills based company of breach of contract and other charges from when ticketmasters servers crashed in twenty twenty three, who didn't remember that during a Taylor swift presale event, millions claimed they couldn't get tickets because of it. Swifties flocked to the courthouse yesterday, where the judge decided instead of tossing the suit, the fans can have a chance to amend their complaints. Don't mess with Swifties. Ne Li Kenny. Sheriff's Department has confirmed it has begun a criminal investigation into music legend Smokey Robinson. Four former employees have sued the eighty five year old singer, claiming rape, false imprisonment, illegal withheld hold of pay and creating a hostele work environment. Singer Chris Brown has been ordered by a judge to remain in custody after his arrest in UK. He was picked up for allegedly attacking a producer with a tequila bottle that happened in twenty twenty three. He was arrested yesterday during his first trip back to Great Britain since the attack at a British nightclub. The two remaining elephants at the La Zoo still appear headed to a zoo in Oklahoma. A judge denied at emergency request yesterday to stop the transfer of the Asian elephants Billy and Tina. The zoo says they'll have more room to roam and can live with other elephants in Oklahoma. Activists say that's not good enough, and they want the elephants transferred to a sanctuary in Tennessee. At six oh five, it's handle on the news. Russia and Ukraine are scheduled to sit down for face to face talks. Of course, President Putin and President Zelensky aren't there. Let's say good morning now to the host of Home. You can listen to it every Saturday and Sunday right here on KFI. It's Dean Sharp.
Speaker 4: Morning, Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about style, shall we. Okay, Okay, So you say to make your house your home, you got to figure out what your style is so it feels homey, so it reflects who you are. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you know when we're when we're transforming a home into something that is more you. The trouble with that is we got to find out who you are. In fact, the one of the biggest challenges for most people when it comes to remodeling or redecorating or redesigning their home is they run up against this idea of like, oh, no, I know something's missing from my life, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. And so there's a bit of U. There's a bit of style psychology that we have to go through a little style therapy, as it were, for a lot of homeowners in order to start getting a handle of their style. In fact, most people don't even really understand what the word style means. They just know that they don't have it, or I think that they don't have it, and they find out that's that's not actually the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are some things that you can do as you start pondering you're thinking about redecorating or building or something. What are some things you should start looking at, like to discover what your style is?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, if you understand what the word style really means when we say it right, when we say somebody's got style, it means that they have a way about them. They have a way about them. And if you break that down even further, what it comes down to is that U style is repetition in your life. Style is routine, it's whatever you keep coming back to. It's whatever you keep finding yourself attracted to or you know, kind of magnetically drawn to. Style is the are the things that you like. And on a really simple basis, style are the things that you like and the things and basically how you like to live. It can be as simple as and I ask clients to start doing this, start telling me, you know, what are the things that you do? What happens every single week? And I just don't mean, you know, I get up and I go to work, and then I come home and I go to sleep. I mean the kinds of things along the way that you keep moving towards a style is in fact kind of the grooves that you wear into your life by traveling those paths again and again. And if you want to start keeping a style journal, it's and I and this is not therapy for everybody. It's just for people who are looking to change the way their home looks. Then you set something aside, some notes aside, maybe some notes on your phone, and you start taking a look at what are the things I keep coming back to, the things that I just love more than anything else. That's the beginning. It's the roots of your style.
Speaker 1: You know what I think is so interesting you talking about that. I definitely have that. I mean, I don't know how you guys are deal with it, but I keep going back to the same kinds of things. I mean, whether it's from a car to the color of the car, to the kind of clothes I wear, Like I wear block more block color, yeah, block colors rather than flower stuff. And if you look around my apartment or not really anything flowery around where I live. Nothing so cool that.
Speaker 4: You bring that up, Because that's one of the cues I think is your own sense of fashion is usually a representation of your own style in one way or another. So we do a lot of fashion translating. Not that people are like, listen, now, you want me to be fashionable in the way that I dress. See, that's the thing. There's not this expectation that you've got some high fancy style. It's just a question of how do you dress. And you've pointed out a really important one. Amy you've noticed that you don't wear a lot of pattern stuff in your clothing.
Speaker 1: Even though I want to. But I never even if I try to, I always go back to the other thing, because I think it's better for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, and then and then as a result, as you look around your place, there aren't a lot of patterns as well, right, they just tend to work itself out that way.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting? You're going to be talking about this all week right our weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're going to be taking calls tomorrow. Of course. We're wide open to take calls on style and then finding your style. The big show on Sunday, all.
Speaker 1: Right, six to eight am Saturday and nine to noon on Sunday. It's called Home with the House, whispered Dean Sharp. Thanks Dean, thank you.
Speaker 5: Amy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho, Courtney Ah my team, the Niners. They're selling, yes.
Speaker 3: Selling just a stake in the team. But this is huge. Good morning.
Speaker 13: First of all, Happy Friday. So the forty nine ers struck a deal to sell about six percent of the team. But this is the interesting part. This would value the franchise at a record breaking eight and a half billion dollars more than the Eagles. Three different families are splitting the steak. Valuations have boomed in recent years because a lot of pro teams have maintained their television ratings better than a lot of other entertainment out there. But it speaks volumes about the current state of sports investing, private equity, money, tech wealth increasingly elbowing their way into the luxury suite, and this is one of the reasons why we are seeing these valuations of teams all across the board soaring.
Speaker 1: People have too much money. That's all I can do.
Speaker 13: Yeah, all right, but the forty nine ers deal, by the way, still needs to clear the NFL owners meeting, so it's still not one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Okay. One of the most influential companies in the crypto space, this is not good news has been hacked.
Speaker 13: Yes, crypto exchange Coinbase revealed that hackers bribed workers to steal customer data that's the unbelievable part of this, and demanded a twenty million dollar ransom. Coinbase is refusing to pay it. But the breach may cost a company four hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: But what makes this so.
Speaker 13: Outstanding for a lot of people, really interesting is that this company led the whole entire digital asset revolution and the march into the mainstream financial system, and this revelation of the hack actually comes days before it joins the S and P five hundred on Monday, it's joining the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, if you were on the hunt for a job, things could be a little dicey for you.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So all of these ever changing tariffs is causing a lot of companies to slow their role. The folks at the Atlanta Fed surveyed some executives around the country and they found that businesses planned to scale back their hiring by about thirteen percent an investment by sixteen percent.
Speaker 3: Tariffs overwhelmingly the top.
Speaker 13: Source of uncertainty when it comes to future plans. The Atlanta Fed actually added that businesses are in wait and see mode at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, so be patient if you're out looking. Yeah, okay about it. We were talking about this a little bit earlier, that the couple of the two biggest cable companies want to do a merger, and I said, well, nothing good is going to come from that. But what what is going to come from that?
Speaker 13: Well, good for them because they've been under a lot of pressure from wireless providers such as AT and T and T Mobile, which have their own Internet offerings, and we all know that streaming has been to paidv but it is official. Charter Communications has a great to merge with Cox Communications. The deal is valued at about thirty five billion dollars, So this is a pretty big deal. Charter, by the way, that's the top cable company in the country. It operates under the Spectrum brand.
Speaker 1: Just in case you need to know, that's what we have here.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and Cox is the largest private broadband company in the US.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Courtney, I have a question for you. It's a thirty four billion dollar deal. Who gets that money?
Speaker 3: Investors them?
Speaker 13: There's a whole host lawyers just lining up failures all the money that these people are going to get. But the thing about the Cox family, which will be getting a lot of the money.
Speaker 3: It's a privately held company.
Speaker 13: So the Cox family has held onto it for many, many years, and and they've tried. There's been a lot of speculation over time, actually over the past decade that they wanted to sell. Even Charter talk to them about ten years ago and it didn't quite work out. So now they're like, all right, time to time to give it up. So it's mostly going to go to the Cox family.
Speaker 1: All right, and that's getting in your business for this Friday morning with Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe. Thank you so much Courtney before we let you go stocks today up down, We know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's looking good so far.
Speaker 13: It's actually looking a lot better than a lot of New Jersey transit commuters this morning. So it's better on Wall Street than there I especially if you're trying to get to the office today.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so.
Speaker 3: Ugly for so many folks.
Speaker 1: Luckily we don't have a great transit system, so not that many people rely on it here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ay, but it's looking good.
Speaker 13: It's actually one of the best weeks this year so far for the S and P five hundred.
Speaker 3: So I'm leaving you on and up note.
Speaker 1: I love that, and we will talk to you again Monday morning. Have a great weekend you too, talk to you later. All right. Nearly one hundred and thirty five thousand people who live in La County you are going to be getting their medical debt for given it's being paid for by taxpayer and philanthropic money. Eligible residents are going to get a letter letting them know that their medical debt has been erased Americans credit card balances have dropped in the first quarter of this year by twenty nine billion dollars. The Federal Reserve Bank says Auto loan debt also fell by thirteen billion dollars from the previous quarter, but student loan balances hit a record of one point sixty three trillion dollars. Because pandemic pauses and student loan payments have ended, delinquencies are also spiking. Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga, and Kendrick Lamara have each scored a leading four nominations for the Nickelodeon Kid's Choice Awards. The awards will be presented June twenty first, in a traditionally green slime filled ceremony at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Willgans. Will we got fiftieth season wrapping up tomorrow night.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, while that in and of itself is sort of a headline after this incredible season that they've had, star studded season that they've had, the big question that everyone is asking is which cast members are going to announce that they are leaving? So, you know, there's plenty of options out there. Of course, Colin Jost his wife, Scarlett Johansson, is hosting the episode tomorrow night, so I think there are a lot of people that are thinking, Okay, maybe this is his way of leaving the show. He's going to you know, celebrate with his wife hosting the show one last time, and his Weekend Update co anchor Michael Jay is also sort of leading the odds on some of the cast members who may be announcing that they're leaving.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite segment on the whole show is Weekend Update with I love those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they've been there actually for a really long time, so you know, it would make sense. I think people some cast members may be stuck around. They said, you know, it's the fiftieth season, we don't want to bail before this, and now that that's over, I do think that there might be a little bit of an exodus maybe from the cast. You know, they have seventeen cast members. Normally it's around I'm fifteen. So we'll have to watch tomorrow night to find out who's leaving, and they.
Speaker 1: Make an announcement during the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it sort of depends like if there are people who have had this in the works for a long time. Those two in particular, I would think would have you know, worked this out with NBC a long time ago. They do typically do some sort of send off, you know, and being that Scar Joe is going to be there, you know, maybe she would be involved in that. Other minor cast members if they're maybe you know, they've been there for one or two years and they're maybe they're being let go as opposed to leaving the show of their own volition. They might not get a big announcement, but when it's a big name and it's somebody that has had this in the works for a while, there is usually some sort of nice goodbye that they have planned.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we move on. Have you heard this that when they do weekend Update, Colin writes for Michael and Michael writes for Colin and they're not allowed to read it before they go in the air.
Speaker 5: I mean that, yes, and they do that. They do that the joke swap sometimes like once. I don't think every episode that that's the case, but they do do this recurring bit where that happens, and I do think sometimes there are like other liners that are snuck in some of the jokes they write themselves. But then the other times, yes, they are writing for each other, and that's when it gets insane.
Speaker 1: You can kind of tell when they you know, when they get cracked up. Yeah, they're like, oh crap, I got to read this. Okay, right, right.
Speaker 3: Let's move on.
Speaker 1: Paul Rudd, Love Paul Rudd. He's in a new you're calling it a cringe comedy friendship.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's that's exactly what it is. So I have not had to watch a movie from behind my own hands, you know what I mean. I'm sitting in the chair just covering my face being like, oh my god, this is so uncomfortable. It's hilarious. But if you are easily embarrassed by other people's embarrassments, this might not be the movie for you. This is in theaters now, and it's about a middle aged guy who is trying to become good friends with Paul Rudd's character, who's like the local weather man, who's like a cool guy, you know, and this man just keeps on embarrassing himsel And it's one of these things that has you asking, like our men okay, are grown men? Okay?
Speaker 6: Like water?
Speaker 5: They so, you know, uncomfortable and awkward, and it's a very funny movie. But it is a cringe comedy for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay. So it's a good, uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then I everybody loves grandma's cooking. It's comfort food. And but what happens when you put a whole kitchen full of nanas together?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 5: So this is Vince Vaughan. He plays a guy who opens up a restaurant on Staten Island and this is all based on a true story. I've been to this restaurant and instead of chefs in the kitchen, it's real life grandma's making their family recipes for people. So the menu changes every day. And it's a very sweet story. This guy loses his mother and decides he's going to honor her by opening up this restaurant on Staten Island that employs real life grandma's and Susan Sarandon is in it. And you know, it's funny because a lot of the humor comes from these grandmas who are like beefing with each other because one's from Sicily and from Bologna, and they disagree about how to make certain pastas and things like that. So it's very sweet, very funny, feel good movie that's streaming on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you where can we find that Netflix so I can watch that one this weekend because I'm sick and I'm going to be on the couch.
Speaker 5: There you go, all right. It will make you. It will make you hungry, though, so have some pasta ready to go for yourself.
Speaker 1: I've got some spaghetti in the cupboard. I'm ready to go. All right. ABC's will gans. Thanks for all the recommendations. Can't wait to watch them. Have a great weekend, Oki Doki, you do take care. All right, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. A parole hearing date has been set for the Menandez brothers.
Speaker 6: June thirteenth was originally scheduled for the convicted killers to go before the parole board as part of their attempt to get clemency from the governor. Now that they've been re sentenced to fifty years to life and are now immediately eligible for parole, that day will be used for the traditional parole hearing instead. They murdered their parents in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine, and were sentenced to life without parole, but that change Tuesday at the re sentencing in van NY's. If the parole board says Eric and lauman Indez can go free, Governor Newso would have ninety days to go along with it or deny it. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A federal judge in la has thrown out a lawsuit by former county sheriff Alex Vinaeva. He sued for being placed on a do not rehire list. The judge yesterday found the former sheriff could show no evidence that his political or employment ambitions suffered as a result of his placement on the list, or that a potential job with the county hung in the balance. The judge wrote, it is hard to imagine how being placed on a do not rehire list could serve as an injury if the plaintiff does not desire to be rehired. Two men have been arrested for trying to smuggle parrots, parakeets, and even chickens into the US. Border Patrol agents found a man from Mexico last month with parrots stuffed in his boots and hidden under a seat in a separate stop. On May fourth, agents noticed that a blanket was moving and found sixteen parakeets and three chickens. The men were arrested for smuggling. The birds being cared for and checked to make sure that they're not carrying any diseases. We'll quit laughing. This is KFI and KOSDHD two Los Angeles, Orange County. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app