Speaker 1: I want to welcome everyone back to the Pekenena Show. John field House has returned. How are you doing? John? All right, man, let's talk about this. This is a controversial subject. I don't think anyone that we know wants to go to war with Iran. God, I hope not not at least people that we truly respect. But something that I've been saying for over a year, and you know, having lee Enfield on, it was over a year ago, right after October seventh when they started talking about war with Iran. You know, we basically came to the conclusion then and I haven't changed my mind at all, is that you can't the United States can't win a war with Iran, even if they're fighting alongside Israel, which Israel never does. I think that war with Iran is pretty much impossible and would just be an endless quagmire. So I asked you to come on to talk about it. And people have heard yn here before. Your suggestion on the coupdetas the look back book went over very well and helping me and give adding context to that. People have come to know you. But can you give as much of your background as you can on you know, as far as military goes, and why your opinion, why you might have an opinion on this that people can listen to.
Speaker 2: Sure start off, John Fieldhouse And before anybody asked, I am not. I have never participated any D O D pentagon level planning on a hypothetical invasion of Iran, and had I done so, it would be a crime for me to discuss classified information because frequently comes up anytime we discuss these things that will bring up, well, you're not a strategic planner who's focused on this, and my buddy is, and he says it's great. Is understand that a strategic planner, unless something is specifically declassified, something like this is going to be classified, which makes it a crime to share it. So the only people who are going to share it are people directly affiliated with the game, and therefore are going to show things that support whatever the regime talking point of the moment is. So yet, to be very clear, I have never in any way participated in strategic level planning for a hypothetical invasion of Iran. That said, I am a former military officer, primarily logistics, but I've also done some combat arms and some other things. I'm not going to get into too much detail about those. We talked about some of my academic background before, which doesn't directly relate to this because most of my stuff's in organizational theory. But again, I was a military officer. I have done mid level professional military education. I've been an instructor at professional mild level excuse me, mid level professional military education where for much of the two thousands we used a hypothetical invasion of Iran as the war game scenario. And consequently, I am not away claiming to be an expert on this, but this is something that me, as well as you know, maybe a quarter of the active duty Army officer cohort of the timeframe I was in, have also done. Is we've done a lot of time looking at what an invasion of Iran would involved, which makes us, I think, very aware of the costs and consequences of trying to play around with something like this.
Speaker 1: So I guess one of the things that I'll bring up is I talked about when Lee Enfield was on the show over a year ago, and he was we talked about an Army War College paper that had just come out that basically said that the fight that Ukraine had been undergoing at that time free year and a half. The United States wasn't even equipped manpower wise to undertake I think Lee said that the I think the paper said that in order to do it properly using the men who are active right now, you'd probably have to institute a draft within three to four months, because that's the kind of attrition that you would suffer. So, looking back on that and knowing there hasn't really been a run on a military enlistment in the last year, what kind of manpower do you think you would need for an Iranian ground invasion at this point?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. What was it?
Speaker 2: Shinseki said, an invasion of Iraq done properly, we probably would have required or was it several hundred thousand men, significantly more than what we actually used, and the airport didn't have enough manpower to pacify the population afterwards. I think Iran would require significantly more, not just manpower, but also the weapons and equipment, and unfortunately, some of those things take even longer to produce than man power, though obviously the man inside is much more important than the weapon. That's a good question. Maybe three quarters of a million, It's hard to say. I don't even necessarily know an answer to that, or would be able to give an answer to that, because I don't think it's feasible to in any way think that America today or anytime in the near future would be able to get that amount of man power, largely because I can't imagine anything being possible in which conscription could be successfully implemented for essentially a war of choice in the Middle East. In a best case scenario where you turn on hypothetically the civil or the selective service system tomorrow, essentially do what happened, you know, the day after Pearl Harbor in the United States. It takes I would say, a minimum of six months to actually take those people, properly train them, integrate them into units where they would be able to do their jobs. And that's a best case scenario. And we don't have a best case scenario. For instance, we have a selective service system that nobody since the Carter administration has really thought needed to work. Therefore they haven't really maintained it. Not to mention, we have training facilities that it would be very difficult to expand those every night things like that, to the point it would probably take more like two years to even have an army capable of doing this, and in a world with global information technology which can be used as a targeting tool, you know, that's two years where the enemy has a chance to disrupt you every or every day along the way. So it's my long winded answer is how big. I don't think it's even possible, given the amount of time it would take to pull that off, to think that that could happen in this world.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let's uh, we talked about American forces. What do you know about Iranian forces? The Yeah, it's they have a standing army. Obviously they have yeah, gott, I'll let you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in fact, if I had thought about that, I would have gotten numbers beforehand. So they do have a standing army. They also have the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, which involved has their own separate army, their own separate navy, their own separate air force. They even have a Marine Corps for their separate navy. They also have some law enforcement capacity. They had the Besiege, which is a militia force somewhat like a national guard that's separate from whatever reserve forces may exist in the regular army, and they also have the Kods Force goods is Arabic for Jerusalem, which you know, which is their Special Forces Force, which are the guys who had worked with Iraqi forces during the fight against ISIS in Iraq. They're also the guys who are working with as Law, who've worked with the Syrian military, who have heavily worked as trainers for insurgents, as well as regular Arab forces. So yeah, you have the regular force, then you have the IERGC, which is more than just you know, a one, you know, piece of the pie. It's like several things belong to the larger IERGC as well as internally, they have security forces law enforcement Jender Maris that could be used as you know, a security force against invasion as well.
Speaker 1: So here are just some numbers that AI is scraping from Wikipedia and Air and Space and Space Forces Magazine. Ground Force dree hundred and fifty thousand, Active Air Force, thirty seven thousand, Active Navy eighteen thousand, Air Defense fifteen thousand, Revolutionary Guard Corps one hundred and twenty thousand elite with three hundred and fifty thousand in reserve, and the reserve are fully trained. So we're looking at about it this would tell me nine hundred and sixty thousand military personnel ready to go.
Speaker 3: And that's what they have today.
Speaker 2: Hypothetically, if you're taking two years to build up combat power, yeah, you know, every day along the way they get to do the same thing.
Speaker 1: So good And part of why IM go ahead, no no please.
Speaker 2: Part why I mentioned the amount of the amount of time that we're prepared to actually train and organize forces for an invasion is understand that American heavy armor, so mechanized forces, the kind of heavy brigade combat team equipment abrams. You know, they're supporting artillery, Bradley's and whatnot, that kind of equipment, it takes a long time to actually get them into a theater that isn't fully developed. So interesting, complete toll, you know, random facto it is the ABRAMS is there one of the largest main battle tanks in the world. It's not the largest, probably anymore, but it was something that was built to be bigger, heavier than most previous tanks of any army in any size. And that's partly because for those who don't know a lot of the vehicle dimensions, the width, especially the axle with on most vehicles comes from the fact that historic roads in Europe had that with which actually goes back to the Roman Empire. Right that literally the design on wheeled vehicles today, you know, the dimensions are heavily influenced because that's what the Roman army built. Anyways, Abrams were bigger so that it was done without those constraints which made them harder to move around. Back in the Cold War, war plan was, hypothetically, if we were fighting in the Folder Gap, we were fighting, you know, across the inner German border. Forces were going to be located there, and there was no issue with strategic lift. You had your weapons systems in place. It was moving those into a combat zone and getting the fight there.
Speaker 3: It's a very.
Speaker 2: Different thing when you have to move them into a theater where you don't have those weapons. We know that ninety one, the First Golf War, it took a significant amount of time. A lot of it was just a matter of selifting that heavy equipment to get into the area. That's also why it took almost two years to invade Iraq in two thousand and is. It takes a significant amount of time to get those equipment sets into a theater that has not developed and for those.
Speaker 3: Who don't know.
Speaker 2: If we deploy combat team, a heavy brigade combat team today or in the recent past, we don't you know, have them load up all their equipment and send them to combat. We actually preposition weapons systems in that area. A lot of this is off shore in you know, prepossession vessels, or they're in long term storage facilities. We fly the people in, they fall in on that equipment, they organize, and they go out and prepare to fight. Now, the problem with that approach is if the equipment sets aren't there already, as I keep repeating, is it takes a long time to get them into that theater, which is a big part of the problem with a hypothetical war with Iran. Where are we gonna put them? Because again that you know, heavily influences which direction we were going to invade country from. Not to mention, it really gives away to the enemy which way you're coming. I know, I'm rambling.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's fine. So obviously, so let's say ground invasion is off of the off the table. I think most people got.
Speaker 2: No, it's more than it's off the table. It's the fact that it's it would be so long to set up so expensive to set up. And again, you make yourself a target the longer you take right. It's like cocking a fist in a fist fight. The other guy knows you're going to hit him now, right, which is part of the way train fighters train things like the jab. So when the guy's cocking his fist for his big billy bad ass punch, you jab him and then you cross him and he goes down, you know. And it's in some ways it's the same concept. Is it takes a long time to get those forces there. Every step along the way is an opportunity for a competent enemy to get them there. And again, which direction are you going to come in from? In you know, where you preposition your equipment decides that and you take away a lot of your flexibility that way, the enemy is going to have a real good idea which direction you're coming from, just by where you're prepositioning your equipment.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think you make a really good point there, and it's a point where we were trying to make last year. As far as you know where staging areas you're not going to do in Afghanistan, Turkey is not going to allow you to do it Iraq, what you would have to reinvade Iraq. Saudi Arabia is not going to allow you to do it, especially not especially not at this point with everything that's been going on since October seventh. I mean, there was none of the stands are going to allow you to do it. Above you can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Saudi Arabia involves the whole issue of an amphibious landing, which we can talk about, but I would say save that for later because that's a whole bunch of other issues along with it. But yeah, those areas you're not going to come from Iraq if for no other reason we effectively put the Shai government in charge there, and every day that we're prepositioning stuff in Iraq is a chance for them to keep shooting at us. And if it has to become a situation which we have to forcibly attack and subdue Iraq in order to go into Iran, that's why, well, congratulations, now you were at war with Iraq and you haven't even gotten to Iran yet.
Speaker 1: And you know, one of the things that a lot of people who've never actually looked at a map of Iran don't realize how perfectly situated Tehran. Tehran is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tehran's in the northern part of the country, which is weird for something that's a know, a major maritime power to have their capital nowhere near the ocean. It's on the opposite end of the country. So it's it's to say it's perfect, well, it's it's in a place that nearly makes it impossible to it seize that capital from the sea. For those who don't know, for most of the two thousands, the wargame scenario of invading Iran, and to be clear, this is a declassified scenario so I can talk about it involved taking again the mechanized forces heavy forces, using two ports in Georgia in order to get them into the continent, moving those forces over into northern Azerbaijan, which in this scenario we saw was at least passively supportive of US forces, then inviting south into the southern part of Isozerbaijan, which we thought would be where fighting was, and then invading into the northern part of Iran. And the biggest issue with that scenario the reason well, first off, the fact that they used this a non classified, unclassified training scenario, which again the Azerbaijanis were enemies in the scenario, and we had Azerbaijani's students, real world sitting in there, which again that tells you everything about the level of just competence we have in strategic planning in the US military. But the fact that this was a declassified scenario tells me that nobody thought they were going to use this, or at least it was implausible to think they were going to use this. But that scenario involved, again those two ports that you needed in Georgia in order to get stuff in there. Those are the same two ports that Russia took away and was it two thousand and nine when they had that hasty attack or hasty operation by Russia on Georgia. So again, if you don't have the ports, you're not getting anything in there.
Speaker 1: Is was that part of the fomenting revolutions in Georgia during the two thousands to try to possibly do something up for the future, I'd.
Speaker 2: Well, I think more than likely. I mean that was never officially said. During the period, there was a lot of military cooperation between the United States and Georgia, mostly for training. We had actual assets at those two ports. I know that because I had students who were actually at those ports doing terminal operations. When the Russians rolled into town, which is one of the weirdest things, they actually said. They were really nice and polite, the Russian commander and said, you guys got to stay on post tell us when your supply convoys come in, so we can make sure they come through. But you got to stay there, and we're okay, is what they told the Americans.
Speaker 1: Is there any possibility of staging in Pakistan?
Speaker 2: That's another thing, right, so could we I can't see Pakistan cooperating.
Speaker 3: Part of the problem is.
Speaker 2: Since September eleventh, the US has played a diplomatic game of Pakistan against India. And for those who don't know, the British Empire, when they partitioned the former India, the Muslim parts became India or became Pakistan, the rest became India, and then Pakistan eventually had a split up where Bangladesh became in its independent country. So since September eleventh, we've had a diplomatic game balancing act of playing India against Pakistan because those countries engage in armed conflict against each other, have fought each other despite the fact they're essentially cousins. They fought themselves each other several times, and anytime the US cooperates more closely with one country, it alienates the other. Now, all the time that we spent working in Afghanistan forced us to cooperate with Pakistan because heavy equipment had to come in through ports in Pakistan and then be shipped north into Afghanistan. The last few years, the Biden's administration has tried to heal the relationship with India, which arguably is a good thing. You know, the world's first or second most populoust country. There's no reason for US to have a pissing contest with them. But unfortunately that goes back it damages that relationship with Pakistan again. Could we stage there? Maybe I don't see us doing that. It's also an interesting bit of geography with the coastal parts of Iran are fairly coastal, but within you know, dozens of miles, you start having the mountains, you know, rough mountains pop up and you have to cross those mountains and you may not have any major targets or population centers until one hundred miles inland. So it's sort of like the problems with the amphibious landing. If you invade through Pakistan, you end up in a part of the country where you still have to get through the other side of the mountains, and it doesn't necessarily help you a great deal to come from that direction. So number one, I can't imagine that. Number two, even then, it puts you in a situation you wouldn't want to be well.
Speaker 1: And then you have the whole eastern side of the country, all the way down to the uh to the mid central of the country with just a gigantic mountain range. So you'd have to deal with the same issue from Iraq from Turkey. Even if even if Israel's friend Ourzarbaijean was willing to help, you're still dealing with mountains. The only way you're going to avoid mountains is to go in from Afghanistan. And then you're I mean, what's that three thousand miles.
Speaker 3: Which is mountains? Which is.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, now, I'm sorry, I kind of go which number one, pack or Afghanistan is mountains? You know, So it's like you're saying you're avoiding them mountains. Yeah, that's relative, and it's still really bad. And even then the Taliban is probably not going to give us, you know, support for invading Iran.
Speaker 1: All right, So I mean, taking into consideration two years prep time and everything, let's just rule everyone out. Obviously, Azerbaijean is friends with Israel, what would there be I mean that would be probably outside of Turkmenistan, the closest uh the closest route to Tehran, and that doesn't seem likely either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again that's part of the problem is hypothetically you could use Azerbaijean, and again the war game scenario uses Azerbaijean, so strategic planners were convinced that you could do that. So I think that's possibly completely plausible, and it puts you near Tehran, you know, decapitating the administration.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: In order to get stuff into Azerbaijean heavy equipment, you'd still have to go through using the ports of Georgia, which I don't think Rush is going to allow us to do because again they demonstrate their ability to seize those in the course of an afternoon. So if you don't have those ports, it doesn't necessarily matter that you go through Azerbaijan because you still don't have equipment.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I think the next uh, I guess the next thing that you would go towards is very long range air campaign. So what was the war gaming on that?
Speaker 2: Looking like, yeah, that I've had to do a lot of research outside as an Army officer. We don't necessarily care about air war as long as our side wins beforehand, and if we don't win, we're not going there.
Speaker 1: Decoupled the Army Air Corps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's a reason the Marine Corps ensured that they retain their own aviation and they originally created the US Air Force.
Speaker 3: The plan was also to give all the naval aviation assets to them as.
Speaker 2: Well, and the Navy fought back on that, and even before the Navy won their fight, the Marine Corps made it very clear they were going to keep their own aviation and.
Speaker 3: They did so.
Speaker 2: Yet a lot of countries that have successful large countries that have successful independent air forces, like the former Soviet Union, actually had multiple services where you'd have a strategic bombing air force, you'd have a strategic airlift air force, you had a separate airlift air force just for the paratroopers, and then you had, you know, an air force that did close support for the army that would work with them directly, and the problem is by turning the Air Force into the headquarters for everything, we've created the problem where they don't necessarily do closer air support with a whole lot of effectiveness. As a ground soldier, I have my hatred of the Air Force reason but they're not like Marine corp Aviation that does cast very effectively. And they're still mad that we have helicopters, and you know, they're really angry that we made them keep the the AT and war Dog, which they didn't like.
Speaker 1: So I thought that that's one of the most badass looking machines I've ever seen been up close to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Boyd was one of the guys who his office was responsible for developing what became that, and it was a purpose built close air support aircraft and it's a great thing piece of equipment. And part of the problem is nobody in Air Force Acquisitions really supported a second generation version of that, so they've basically tried to make it obsolete and retire it. And I don't even know what the status of it is today. I think it's been retired, but you know, it's sort of like they you know, they put their ball home and didn't want to play with anybody else, and they're really angry that we made them continue to operate those those planes.
Speaker 1: All right, So how what would what would aerial etside, what what would aerial warfare on Iran look like?
Speaker 2: That's a good question and this is probably the biggest X factor that we don't know about. And uh, part of the thing is anytime you have big revolutions in military equipment and military affairs, is you go through a period of uncertainty about what you think your equipment can do, what your new weapons and tags can do, and then you actually see them in combat, and then you know, everything changes in light of reality. Late nineteenth century, you know, machine guns, early machine guns like the Maxim gun and the Gatling gun were developed. The British actually had huge, made heavy use of machine guns throughout the late nineteenth early twentieth century, but they mostly used it against tribesmen in Africa, so Arabs and black tribesmen, and a lot of times they were using them against people who were largely using fairly convention mounted or you know, close order tactics and machine guns against people marching close order is just a slaughter and it worked probably as much as anything just to discourage uprisings, but at the same time, nobody really had an idea of what those were going to do. In the Western Front when two armies using those weapons met each other, and again early nineteen fourteen the Western Front, we had engagements with incredibly high number of casualties. Then troops dug in. Then there was a race to the sea in which you had the huge trench lines going from it was the English Channel all the way down to Switzerland, and you know, long periods of trying to break the stalemate of the trenches. And I think it's very plausibly with changes in aviation and drones in particular, that seeing something like that in Ukraine, we've had a lot of incidents, incidences where we know that American armor and you know, mechanized tanks and UH infantry fighting vehicles are nowhere near as good as we thought they were. As soon as you take away air supremacy, if you take away air cover, you know, tanks and Bradley's and things like that suddenly become very easy to destroy or at least disable. And you know, it's also become very hard to maintain air supremacy because of you know, man man portable shoulder fire anti aircraft systems, things like the American Stinger. So we're in a situation where it's really hard to maintain air supremacy. You can create a situation where basically everything that flies dies and suddenly that forces how the ground war changes. So that's part of the the you know, again, this is all X factor, and I'm saying that there are changes here that we don't entirely know yet, and I encourage caution because of that. So the Iranian Air Force, you know, they started off, or at least the Islamic Republics started off with you know stuff the shawst Air Force had. They had F fourteen's, they had some other American fighters. They didn't have the first generation of avionics, targeting stuff. A lot of cases, they never updated their stuff, and they're using third party repairs, so they don't necessarily have very good you know, targeting and communications and radar stuff for those weapons systems, which a lot of their planes are fairly out of date by now, so it may not matter, but we do know that they have some amount of anti aircraft stuff, and the fact that the American pissing contests with both Russia and China has forced the Bricks to share a great amount of military technology. We don't know how much, but there is a level of military cooperation there which again is unknown, which leaves a lot of room for potential threat. So what anti aircraft systems have the Russians provided with them? More importantly, what anti aircraft systems would the Russians provide for them? And the answer is we don't know, and all of them could be bad, which means that there's a very high possibility that they could kill aircraft that we have that we've never really forecasted losing. Because again, one of the common themes of the US military is, yes, we're incredibly powerful, we don't necessarily have the ability to absorb casualties. The ability to have min weapons and equipment destroyed, are captured or disabled, and to continue to fight as you reorganize around your casualties is a fairly hard thing to do. And you know the fact that we don't really have to practice doing that, we may have difficulties working around that. So hypothetically, it's not just what we lose in aircraft, it's our ability to continue to function as cohesive units after that. The other thing is drones. How effective are their drones, how effective with the drones that Rush or China would provide them with be and again drones hypothetically use drones to fight fighter aircraft. It's important to understand you don't need them to be great dog fighters. You don't even necessarily need them to be great with missile technology. If you can with some degree of accuracy fly those things into your planes using drones is then just you know, run them into aircraft. You could probably knock down a fair amount of fighters, and especially the reality is if you're a drone controller and drone pilot, you're not going to die when you ram that other enemy aircraft, so you don't necessarily care. So there's a high degree of possibility that Iran could inflict casualties on a long range aviation attack and that those things could really mess up in attacking force.
Speaker 1: So the things that I had heard recently I can't remember. I think might have been from Larry Johnson that they definitely had Russian S three hundred systems. The I think what is their version of the C one thirty is at the A N twelve cub Is that what he said?
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's something like that.
Speaker 1: A couple of them landed fully loaded three or four months ago in Tehran, which probably he thinks had the S four hundred, and then there's actually talk that there's actually an S five hundred and S five fifty now and properly when you take into consideration the mountainous terrain and everything properly placed. I mean it really it goes to show why when Israel launched their assault recently, they really didn't do much damage. I think there was one civilian died for military personnel, and the damage is being reported has really been minimal. And I've actually seen footage of a lot of their a lot of what they launched. They're just being taken down and taken right out of the sky.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Number one again back to the military cooperation with the Bricks country. I'm one hundred percent certain it's happening, But what do we know about those Like you said, there's a couple of landings where as far as we can tell, anti aircraft systems we're landing. I'm largely skeptical of anything that comes out in American media about what the Russian military is doing, just because everything the American media has been so inaccurate. I'm sure, I'm one hundred percent certain that Iran wants Russia to provide those assets. I think it's more likely than not that Russia has provided those assets, But which assets, I don't know. It could be a lot, especially if they have next generation shoulder fire weapons systems. So yeah, my big caution there would be they probably have a lot more than we think they have, especially if they're small enough and they can be dismantled. You could potentially put them on you know, civilian airliners. You can even put them on regular passenger planes and break down the components to ship them in cargo. So things like that are completely possible. Where they would have a lot more stuff than we think, not to mention the potential to move stuff in there directly from Russia. And again, like you said, the mountains are good for covering concealment, especially if you don't control anything around those mountains. This isn't like Afghanistan were for twenty years. Yeah, we didn't necessarily control the key mountains, but we had some points, and we had some forces in the area, and we had some idea of the geography. Iran would be completely different that circumstance, I wouldn't know. So yeah, it's everything you said, but to a degree much higher than we would anticipate, meaning you're right, and it's probably a lot worse than you think.
Speaker 1: And then not to mention the fact that their missile technology, which we don't really know a lot about, but we've seen the Huthis launch missiles at Israel that have been reported to turn ninety degrees in mid air.
Speaker 3: So we.
Speaker 1: What exactly do we know about Iranian technology and what they can do to fight back?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen anything declassified on that, excuse me, So I've seen very little or nothing declassified on that. So what do we know? We definitely know they can do long range target thing with some degree of precision. The fact that you know they drop stuff that was it the the Iraqi airfield that that we had an American personnel that time.
Speaker 1: I think right after Sole Money.
Speaker 2: I was on that base, So I feel bad that I don't remember on the top of my head, because I was stationed at that base at one point. So all indications are if they did they missed on purpose where they were demonstrating their ability to target, and they didn't miss, and they intentionally shot a warning shot demonstrating that they could shoot things, or they just.
Speaker 1: Like the most recent saving face for the for the attack.
Speaker 3: I think it's exactly what they did.
Speaker 2: They were demonstrating to all sides that they could do this and that they would do this if they had to, but that they didn't want to escalate further. That's my understanding, my interpretation. So it's more than just saving face. They're demonstrating to America that they could do this, but they're choosing not to, which is a you know, a very different level of restraint that Americans are used to. The thought is that those massive attacks by Iran against Israel, those large missile attacks, that they were probably used as a reconnaissance and force.
Speaker 3: Number one.
Speaker 2: There seems to be a fairly high dug rate on the Iranian missiles, which suggests that they were using old stocks a munitions stuff that they had to get rid of anyway that they were firing, and they were targeting them in such a way that they could observe Israeli missile defense in order to get their tactics down, in order to find the launch points, in order to build data for future attacks which I think is highly likely. It's also the kind of complexity that Iranians are known for, so they have that kind of targeting capacity, and they probably have it to a much greater degree of precision than anything in the US military. Long range precision missile artillery is not something the US military is very good at.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk a little bit about that. So a lot of people look at Iran as like this backwards country, these backwards people, their women still have to wear head coverings and things like that, and they just basically assume that they don't have they don't have any scientists there. Anything that they would be using, they would be it were being supplied from somewhere else, like Russia and everything like that. So what do you know about their their capabilities as far as their.
Speaker 2: The culture and technology was. Yeah, well, the country historically was called Persia. Then the last Shaw's father, so the second last Shaw, when he took charge, renamed it as Iran. Haran literally means the land of the Arians, and like a lot of well, it wasn't a colonial society, but a lot of societies going through decolonization. There's the whole fight about whether or not the culture should represent the dominant ethnic group or multiple ethnic groups, and by naming Iran, it was essentially saying it's not just for Persians, it's for all the other minority people who who are there as well. Just as in aside, ethnic Persians only make up about sixty percent of the Iranian population. You've got some Arabs, We've got Kurds, You've got a Luki's, You've got lots of people of very different, various relations apparently, you know, it's it's a diverse country. There was a great deal of a great amount of modernization that occurred under the Polavi dynasty. Education was brought in, you know, famously, we've all seen, you know, the photos from the fifties and sixties of women in many skirts in Iran. Iran or Persians especial, but also Kurds and some of the other ethnic groups are a little unusual in the fact that they're simultaneously they have a reputation for being both very religious in the practice of shiaid Islam, will you know, being very worldly, and how they lived their life, which it's really hard to compare them to something maybe like old school Italian Americans, who are you know, very Catholic, but that's never stopped and stood in the way of them being able to deal with reality in places the priests may not like. You know, I don't mean that as an assault. The Catholics are Italians, so they had a fairly modern education system that was trying to modernize the culture. They had modern universities that which were established with Western support, mostly British, some American. A lot of them do a lot of English languae education because again STEM training is only done in so many languages in the world, and English is one of them. So lots of you know, what we'd call third world countries, the actually educated people speak fluent English because that's what they need to do in order to do a STEM education to go become an engineer or whatnot. There was after the Iranian Revolution, there was a you know, there was a big purging in the beginning where many of the Shaws loyalist loyalists were removed, but that didn't necessarily damage the educated or yeah, it didn't necessarily remove the educated factor in society because the revolution, the Iranian Revolution wasn't even really an Islamist revolution in the beginning, so much as there was an anti Shaw Revolution amongst people who were Shites, and you know, became a site revolution because Comania was the only guy who could unite the factions, so a lot of their educated people weren't taken out. Like I said, students were a huge part of the revolution. So you have lots of you know, lots of people with higher education, some guys with PhDs and whatnot, but a lot of people stem education. So my point here is these are not monkeys living in caves. These are people that a large strateg or society is very educated. A large part of contemporary ron is urban, either urban or they live in you know, a greater metropolis metropolitan area, meaning they live in essentially what would be suburbs or even rural areas there you know, within a half day drive of a major city. So these are not you know, bumpkins in the middle of nowhere. Even in the places where they may be in the middle of nowhere, they have a fair amount.
Speaker 3: Of ability to travel.
Speaker 2: The fact that the country has oil means they have a fair amount of electricity and power of different sources, which means you can have computers. Anecdotally, I could know when I I was purchasing things as a purchasing agent for the Iraqi Army. We imported a lot of our goods from Iran, so I can tell you for a fact, computers are easy to.
Speaker 3: Come by in Iran.
Speaker 2: Even though we had embargoes against Iran, we bought stuff from Iran. The fact that they're working closer with Russia means that there's lots of things they can get down they couldn't get in the past. So it's this idea that they're living in the caves like the Taliban were in two thousand and one is not in any way accurate about Iran.
Speaker 1: What about their manufacturing of weapons specifically? You know what Wock talks about where if you're if you have to import your own weapons, if you have to if you have to rely upon someone else, you're basically you become a slave to them. Do you know what their manufacturing level is?
Speaker 2: That's a good question, and I only know a little bit, and I should have prepared better for that. I know they can manufacture small arms. I know that akas have been made there before. I know munitions have been manufactured in various degrees there. I assume that's a fairly easy part of their industry. Since if you don't necessarily have currency, don't have hard currency that you know, manufacturing munitions is a really quick way to make money towards a more expensive country or more economically developed countries around you. I don't know about their ability to produce like aviation assets, or hire and armor equipment, or missile systems and whatnot, so that I m also not necessarily I wouldn't necessarily be worried about that if I were them, just because an alliance with Russia means you can get those things. You also potentially have the ability to trade things for them that they are going to find valuable. So that answers your question.
Speaker 1: Well, So, taking into considerate consideration the spirit of my question, if they are relying on Russia for so much, how how much of a swayed does Russia hold on them? In your opinion, that's.
Speaker 3: A good question.
Speaker 2: I think Russia could exercise a great deal of sway over them if they wanted to, I know, well, especially if they're providing anti aircraft system So the short answer is probably a lot. Russia has not directly forced a whole lot of things other than trying to see greater alliances with those countries against the United States and setting up you know, mutual trade systems, you know, such as you know, getting outside the American banking credit system. My guess is they probably have a lot of sway over them, since you know, Russia was completely locked out of Western markets and they've worked with other countries to create alternative systems, and Iran has been locked out for it was a decade plus now, so they have every reason to cooperate. So I imagine there's probably a lot more influence than we've seen so far. It's also a situation where Putin, for all of his talk of him as being an overbearing dictator, and I don't necessarily have any love loss for him, but he's he has demonstrated the ability to be to exercise sort of a soft touch with people that he's influencing, meaning that he'll more request and cooperate for things than trying to force compliance on things, which ironically is sort of the American way of doing diplomacy, despite the fact.
Speaker 3: We say otherwise.
Speaker 2: So I think Russia could probably exercise a great deal of influence and probably has more influence than we've seen so far.
Speaker 1: When you say that, it's pretty easy to understand that if Ukraine wasn't so captured and under NATO and other influences, how he would have a soft touch with them, How he would he'd have no problem with diplomacy. And it looks like, you know, in two thousand and nine diploma, diplomacy has gone really well with them until obviously the coup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and my position on the Ukraine War is I don't take either side there. I know lots of guys on our or in our sphere like to take Russia aside by default. I don't do that. And I actually have an immense amount of admiration for Ukrainians. I do think that by cooperating with the West, they're doing things that are detrimental to them in the long run. I think the war in Ukraine is an unfortunate consequence of American overbearing behavior, which is forced the dichotomy between Russia and Ukraine and which people which killed a lot of people we claimed to care about. So, Yeah, the Slavic parts of the former Soviet Union and before that the Russian Empire have an interesting history. It's like history historically, the the ethnic Russian people of the Rowski people, as opposed to just the people who were citizens of Russia. Traditionally, they referred to themselves as greater Russians, with the idea that the Ukrainians and bel Russians were you know, you know, other varieties of Russian cousins. So, yeah, there's a huge amount of connection there, which you know, the fall of the Soviet Union in post World War two or yeah, post Cold War geopolitics is you know, created a cleavage between those related peoples that the probably wouldn't have existed otherwise. And again, I do not deny the existence of the Ukrainian people like some do, but I also think the fact that America's claim to support Ukrainians has killed a lot of Ukrainians.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, it seems that Israel, you know what, Iran has been there. They're one month away from having a nuke for what thirty thirty five years now, and they want.
Speaker 2: To Scott Warton has said they've been like six months away for twelve years now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all of this belikosity towards them, it relies upon the United States getting involved. And then you're saying that this would be it would take two years to even get this prepared for an invasion, and then the invasion.
Speaker 3: So it's.
Speaker 1: Conservatively, So what is does Israel really in your opinion, does Israel really think that this is going to happen, that they can they can do this, or is there something else going going on here?
Speaker 3: I'm timped to think there's something.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of this has to do with men Yahoo essentially flailing in order to stay in power. I think he's behaving like a cornered animal. Because when this war ends, even in the besket the excuse me, the fighting in Israel ends, more than likely net Nyah, who's going to be indicted and they're probably going to put him in prison this time, and because of his age, he'll probably die in prison. And I think even if it ends on very good terms, that's extremely likely to happen. So again, I think Nennyah who's behaving like a cornered animal, and a lot of it's driven by his behavior. I doubt that anybody in the IDF thinks that a land war, a land invasion, conquest of Iran is possible at all. You know, maybe in two thousand and two, before we invaded Iraq, we thought that that could happen, and we were just move US forces into Iran. But reality proved otherwise. Obviously, Israel wouldn't go send its own forces. They have a hard time getting their the reservists to go and fight in the West Bank and the gods the Strip, They're definitely not going to go fight in Iran. I don't think the United States will ever have the ability to wage that kind of offensive war ever. Again, I don't see people sending their sons away, especially in a world where people only have one child. So it's not just the population growth issue. It's the fact that you know, most parents today only have one or two children, and you're not trying to, you know, kill your child, your only son, and your neighbor's only son in order to you know, piss shit away. For people who aren't willing to fight for themselves and have to create conflict with everybody in their world, what do.
Speaker 3: They really want?
Speaker 2: I think a lot of this is about buying time, and I think that I think that people under existential threat, which you know then yahoo and the potential of going to prison, I don't think they behave rationally, and I think that explains a lot.
Speaker 1: So with Trump now picking his cabinet, and he's definitely the few picks that you know, we were even talking about before we started recording. Aren't good because just just because it seems like they're they're all friendly to Israel, the three or four so far right now as of recording. Yeah, but this still doesn't really what people When you hear people complaining about this, you hear them complaining about it because we don't want to go to war with their Ran. So what I'm trying. What I'm trying to do, but I have this conversation with you, is showing people that that's not that's not the issue. That's completely off the table. Everyone knows it. And you know, other than somebody starting to launch nukes, we need to shift our still pay attention to what's going on with this insane alliance we have with this little shitty state in the Middle East. But this isn't going to be about it Ran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I would say a bit more than anything, it's important that the politicians who represent us. And again, democracy is bullshit and we know it doesn't really work. But the fact that Trump just got in power on the you know, because of popular support, is at least open to understanding what his base cares about, and we have to make it understand that Trump understand that you can't do this, the war with Iran can't happen. And a lot again I prepped with Bill Buper from Chasing Ghosts podcasts for a lot of this, and one of the conversations we had this morning was the American military right now is essentially divided between two world views. A lot of what the Obama and Biden era did was essentially put woke officers, you know, everybody's favorite pet subjugated groups into the military and higher levels as a sort of purge of the officer cord, the general officer cord of the army to make it less right wing. And unfortunately, so much of the counter reaction against that in the military and America's supporters just think, no, we're America and we can go fight the world. So the response to woke, unfortunately a lot of times, is saying, let's go and invade, you know, let's start World War three. And part of what I'm trying to fight is, you know, people released culturally on our side, trying to get them to understand that war with Iran will be existentially devastating to America. You know, from Apple Atrial, Greater Appalachia from the south. You know, people like me die in these wars. I don't want people like me to die, so especially so certain classes and cultures of people who hate us can go in a rural world rule the ashes of the world after we've you know, blend and died for them. I also want to make sure that people on our side, everybody on our side, understands that war isn't free, right. People die, And everybody said, yeah, of course not. It's like, no, America hasn't fought a real world against a real enemy in a very long time. And I remind people, even during World War Two, you know, something like eighty percent of the wehrmachs cow'shuildings were inflicted by the Soviet army. You know, the reality is the United States provided a lot of logistics and then open it up the second front to play Kate Stalin in the course of a world war that we meet the world safe for Stalinism. So world War two we were kind of like we're sort of like the kick return team of World War two, right, I mean, of the Allies we fought, but we were not quite the front line starting lineup, and.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like the Pacific theater.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like the Pacific theater. And I'm not degrading anybody's contribution and their sacrifice. And the dead are equally dead, no matter where they fought and against who they fought. But understand that World War two, the Western Front, European Front, we did not fight the war that we seem to think we fought. And unfortunately, war with Iran could mean that it could be against an army that is entrenched, which has a fair amount of support. And despite the fact that people say that they hate the Islamist regime in Iran, invading their country will change that immediately. You know, when gang banners come into your neighborhood suddenly your next door neighbor, you may not like to cooperate within the fight the intruders, and we could create that situation. And my biggest fear is Iran is some dipshit trying to do things invading because they don't know any better, which is a real fear I had with Kamala getting in there. And as soon as our forces get bogged down, we're bogged down in sort of like an Eastern Front scenario in World War Two, where we're slugging it out for an extended period, except now we're doing that in the war in the world where there are nuclear weapons on the table. So again, when I'm rambling here to everybody saying, look, war with Iran without any better, Sorry for my profanity, but it's fucking stupid and people like me and you are going to die, and they're going to die for the people we hate. So let's not do that. And that's what I'm trying to say to everybody. And I apologize for my profanity.
Speaker 1: No, not a problem at all. No, let's end. You're right there, man, I really appreciate it. Thank you, thank you for some expertise to this, and let's do it again real soon.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Thanks man,