Speaker 1: Hey, lovely people.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole.
Speaker 3: I know I'm Ben, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a.
Speaker 2: True crime podcast morning. The following podcast material audience.
Speaker 1: Listeners, Hey, hey, hey, what's up? How exciting?
Speaker 2: Hello? Happy spring?
Speaker 3: Yes it's oh my god, the snow's melting. Thank god.
Speaker 2: I feel like first day of spring doesn't mean much for people that live a little bit up north because we're not quite there.
Speaker 3: No, I mean I only really, like personally, only really recognize spring when I see the first Robin's that's the start of spring for me.
Speaker 2: And generally the snow is off the ground when.
Speaker 3: They're out right, yeah, usually because they're on your front lawn sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And we probably have at least like a foot and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah about that. Yeah, so we got a waste to go.
Speaker 2: So you people that are listening that don't have any snow.
Speaker 3: Right now, I want to say a lot of bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll just leave it at that. I don't have anything nice to say.
Speaker 3: No, we're jealous. Let's just say that.
Speaker 2: So jealous. But I was even going to say even like downtown though, because we live I don't know where in our city, Prince George, we live in the Heart and like downtown has wait is almost done with their snowe oh yeah, well.
Speaker 3: Because the Heart, like it's the northern part of the city, and we have like way more elevation, so we generally are like two weeks behind downtowns Yeah, so it's just that much more winter and we get that much more snow at the beginning of the year because it snows first like two three weeks before Downtown.
Speaker 2: It's just but it's dope living up here.
Speaker 3: It is. It's cool. Okay, what we're gonna say, I was gonna to say that it's we're still a ways off from this launching, but I started working on our website the other day. Guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we've got the domain name, we've got everything set up. It's just a matter of getting the website built and out there so we can you know, launch had episodes out there, a little bit about us, or if we're going to be doing any giveaways or announcements, it can all be there. And of course our Instagram too.
Speaker 2: Did you get I don't even know what domain name you.
Speaker 3: Got, wicked ingram dot com Okay, sweet, Yeah, I just got to figure out how to link the website in that domain. But yeah, I got it.
Speaker 2: Wow, look at us.
Speaker 3: Go, we're hitting the big time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're being productive here, productivity.
Speaker 3: You have a website that means you made it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much, totally actually, And it's cool speaking of website because my my case has a bit to do with the internet. So look at that.
Speaker 3: Look at your sage boom, let's hear it. That was so your How does your case have to do with the inner webs?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's the Dexter Killer, you.
Speaker 3: See, like mimicking the show or what?
Speaker 2: Well, just you wait, I'm going to dive in here. The event took place in Edmond and Alberta and is the tale of two men each trying to reinvent themselves, crossing paths on the Internet with the most horrifying of results.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: The murder in this case is Mark Twitchell. Twitchell, I think that's how you say his last name. He's a twenty nine year old man, or he was twenty nine at the time of the murder, obsessed with comic books, star wars, making low budget movies, and Dexter.
Speaker 3: Okay, so are you describing me so far?
Speaker 2: I know, right? Okay, because he's actually was. I didn't even put that in there, but he was into like cosplay too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're you're literally describing me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Are You're not into making low budget movies? Oh I guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm literally exporting a documentary on my laptop as we're speaking.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay. Oh gosh, well this is definitely not you. So he's a film school graduate with a small following among sci fi fans when he directed a fan film prequel prequel for the Star Wars franchise, with a short cameo from Jeremy Bullock. Oh way, you know who that is? Oh? I do? Who is it?
Speaker 3: Bubba Fett?
Speaker 2: Yes? I had that in brackets because I was like, I'm not going to remember who that is. He's since passed, I think, right, Jeremy Bullock, I felt like it. That's what she said.
Speaker 3: No, I don't If he did pass it was just just this year. I'm trying to think now I got a Google.
Speaker 2: Is Okay, I don't know. Hopefully hopefully he is. And I didn't just pretend like he was, but I, like.
Speaker 3: I said, if he passed away, it was this year, and there's so much shit going on this past twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's did he pass away?
Speaker 2: We're searching it, we're researching it.
Speaker 3: Yeah he did.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Icember seventeenth, twenty Okay, so that's.
Speaker 1: Not even that long ago.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well back to Mark. Mark was married with an infant daughter and living in a ooh, living in his small home in the suburbs of Edmonton.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this isn't too far from us.
Speaker 2: No, So I'm using a tablet just to let people know. And it just like automatically zoomed in and I had to zoom out, and so yeah, smooth. I know Ben's making me try to be all like it worked.
Speaker 3: For me last time. It was awesome, and I just I recommend it. Tablet's dope.
Speaker 2: Mark Mark was accused of getting his inspiration from the TV show Dexter. I love me some Dexter.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he is kind of a copycat killer.
Speaker 2: Sort of thing. Yeah, so Dexter Morgan, for anyone out there that doesn't know, is the main character. Well, the show's on Netflix. He very much so lives a double life. He works as a forensic technician, I think it was blood stained pattern analysis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did like blood splatter patterns and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the Miami Metro Police Department by day, but by night he was off being a serial killer killing other murderers.
Speaker 3: It's a dope show.
Speaker 2: It's eight seasons, so it's like a bit of a commitment. But I am like literally obsessed with Dexter. I should watch it again. It's surprisingly I've only watched it one.
Speaker 3: We should watch it again.
Speaker 2: It's so good. So though he may have got some inspiration room Dexter, in my opinion, he was no Dexter Morgan, not at all.
Speaker 3: No, not even close. He wishes, he wishes. He's just some weenie out in Edmonton.
Speaker 2: In September of two thousand and eight, Mark decided to take his filmmaking a different direction and began buying items off the internet. The items that he purchased were such as a meat cleaver, handcuffs, steel barrel, stun baton. He made visits to Canadian Tire and Home Deeple to buy numerous rolls of duct tape, plastic gloves, gloves and drop cloths, and he rented a garage for one hundred and seventy a month in a quiet neighborhood in Edmonton's suicide.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a very big list concerning a lot of very dark, concerning items. However, if you're just into BDSM and you have a safe word, I mean, it's not that bad.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, just.
Speaker 3: Say pineapple and you're good, right, pineapple is the safe word.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In late September, he shot a short crime film film called House of Cards. Instead rented garage with some filmmaking buddies. Okay, so the script that he wrote was about a killer who lures a cheating man off an online dating website, tortures him to reveal his pass codes, and then hacks him into little bits.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, yeah, so the book? Did they actually hack someone into little bits? Was it like a real thing? Though?
Speaker 2: Can you just wait for me to like.
Speaker 3: I'm getting a little head on't I? Okay? I think I think I might have just had a little prediction.
Speaker 2: The buddies helped Mark with special effects, sets and props. Mark had asked them to make a sturdy wood table with a metal finish and a metal chair that could be bolted to the floor of the garage. If only that was all the equipment and rented garage were used for, but that would not be very exciting podcast if that was all it was used for.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 2: On October third, two thousand and eight, Mark decided to turn the script into a reality. He poses a woman named Sheena on an internet dating site and successfully lured a man to his garage. This man was named Jill's. Yeah, Jill's. I can't pronounce his last name.
Speaker 3: Names suck sometimes.
Speaker 2: Are really hard tech, wrote, I think it is. But where we're going to refer to him as Jills Jills. He followed some So Jill's followed some crazy ass directions that were provided by Shina, which I'm going to read them to you because, like, I don't know, maybe I'm just different, but I would never have been like.
Speaker 3: I'd have been like a mout Kibetshena is the alias for this killing.
Speaker 2: Shina is actually Mark Okay, Yeah, good old Mark Okay. So here are the directions. They're a little bit long, so you just have to listen. If you're coming from the north on Groat, get on Calgary Trail when you get to the south side, stop dropping things all right when you get to the south side and jump on white met white mud. Then go south on fiftieth Street, take it right on fortieth AB and after a block or two, take the very first right into the alley. It's marked by a yellow crosswalk sign, so pay attention. Then go left, pull into the only driveway on the left that isn't paved. Lol. Seriously, whoever heard of a driveway that looks like the Amazon? Whatever? It won't swallow your car. I promise there's some garbage up against the fence, like an old couch and such, but it might be gone by Friday. Who knows. Like I said, the groa will be open for you just to touch. Don't worry about neighbors thinking you're a burglar. Everyone knows there's nothing valuable in there except my car, of course.
Speaker 3: See you then, Ghina, what whatever happened to an address?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: What's up? I live on one two eight Fake Streets?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't want to give, like Mark didn't want to give the address. But I'm just like, if someone's directing me to like a sketch garage with like apparently a driveway that's like the Amazon, with like an old couch and garbage and shit like that, and it's just gonna be open to crack, Like there's no freaking way.
Speaker 3: Although, like there's a lot of people out there who do a lot of weird shit just for some tail on Tinder and stuff. So this guy's thinking I'm gonna get laid. He's probably gonna follow these directions.
Speaker 2: Well maybe that's a doe thing, but just like there is just like no way, like no way. So when Jill's arrives, he bends down under the partially raised door as directed and enters the darkened garage, Like, oh my gosh, is there not such things as like true crime podcasts and like true crime back then?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Apparently not, because like there's oh.
Speaker 3: Again, he just he was just confident he's gonna get some tail.
Speaker 2: I don't know. There's no reason for this.
Speaker 3: No, there's no excuse. Don't go into shady garages people.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, okay, I mean I might not get asked, get showed if the garage door was like open the whole way. I don't know why that would make it seem better. But if I'm having to bend under a partially open garage door, that's yeah, no, okay, I'm moving on. I'm moving on. Basically. As soon as he entered, he felt someone grab him from behind, obviously, and start prodding him with the stun baton. When he turned around to face his attacker, he faced a man Mark wearing a hockey mask and realized this was no date. Mark took out a gun and ordered Jill's to the ground, placing duct tape on his eyes. Jill's on the ground decided he's not going to die, or if he's going to die, he'd rather go out his own way. Yeah, fair enough, I'm like, good for you, men, let's do this. He got up, ripped the tape from his eyes, grabbed Mark's gun, only to discover that it was just a plastic gun. It was a violent struggle, but Jill's was able to get out of the garage, collapsing into the back alley. He actually collapsed in front of a couple who was out walking and asked them for help, but the couple walking, so the couple walked away, fearing that he was part of the ploy to actually get them.
Speaker 3: Oh what.
Speaker 2: They did later report the incident to the police, but not until they got home. However, Jill's was still able to get away, and this is the real kicker though, is Jills did not report this to the police. What because he was embarrassed, And I was like, oh no, oh, no, oh no, Okay, besides just being embarrassed, I think he was also like scared because he wasn't or if it was a I don't know the word, but like a planned attack for him, and then if this guy would like keep looking for him or whatever. But yeah, he didn't report this.
Speaker 3: That's fucked up. Okay, if something happens to you and you have the ability to potentially stop it happen happening to someone else, fucking take that leap and make sure you don't help this killer hurt someone else or this person assault anyone else.
Speaker 2: Because okay, and I was gonna say targeted attack. Even if it was a targeted attack on him, like you should still get the police involved, Like either way.
Speaker 3: They need to be involved, no kidding, either he's going to keep attacking you or someone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I know I didn't. I just didn't love that. That really frustrated me.
Speaker 3: It should never be embarrassing for the victim because it's never the victim's fault. It's it's you can hold like even the whole like me too, movement and stuff like that. There's people out there being all like, oh, well you were dressed in slutty clothing. Blah, Well you shouldn't be worrying that you were asking for that. Fuck that. It's not the victim's fault, and.
Speaker 2: No it isn't. It isn't. I mean he was going there expecting to just have a day trade.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So after about a week on October tenth, Mark does it again. Of course, he successively lures a second man to the garage, and this time the victim did not get away. Oh fuck, I know. His name was John Brian Atlinger. He went by Johnny, so I'm gonna be calling him Johnny. He was a thirty eight year old male, tall with wispy hair and glasses. He had a warm grin and gentle eyes. His friends and family would describe him as quiet, affectionate, and a giving man. His life had its ups and downs, but he seemed to have found a good path or good place. But in two thousand and eight, he owned a tidy bachelor pad which was a short distance to where he worked night shift as an oil field equipment manufacturer, sorry at an oil field equipment manufacturing.
Speaker 3: Business typical for Albert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. Johnny had many interests, but computers in the online world was definitely one of them. The Internet gave Johnny away to meet people, and he ended up making some really good friends all right on.
Speaker 3: I mean the internet has opened the world for possibilities, for connections all over the place.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: I've made really good friends on the internet, So.
Speaker 1: I know, weird there.
Speaker 2: It's ansom to be so careful too, Like I'm like a cautious person, So I don't know. I mean, grant you, I guess over Instagram and stuff I've made. Yeah, you can acquaintances and stuff. So that's pretty much the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Or with your photography, people are booking you lots that way. Yeah, just over the internet.
Speaker 2: Then you show up with the shoot. Okay, if I ever show up a shoot and I have to go under a partially open garage door, it's not happening, people.
Speaker 3: No, stay out of the garage. Yeah, just come up. We're gonna do a boudoir session in the garage. Just crawl under the darkened door that is half broken and only a foot like off the ground. Yeah, crawl under there.
Speaker 2: There's no way on October tenth, Johnny thought he was going to connect with someone new. At this point, he was seriously looking for a woman to spend the rest of his life with. However, the woman he thought was named Jen was in fact not a woman at all, but Mark.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course Mark's an asshole.
Speaker 2: I know. I don't like Mark. We don't like him. Mark, who must have learned from his experience with Jill, was able to fulfill his fantasy to turn his House of Cards script into a reality. Thankfully, Johnny had informed his friends of his plans that evening, because following his disappearance, they were crucial in speeding the case so long. So that's a good point. I'm going to dive into that a bit more. So that's some good news. It was the Friday before Thanksgiving and Johnny had called his friend Dale Smith to say he'd met a woman or woman through an Internet dating site, but the woman refused to provide Johnny with an address, rather gave him directions to a back alley garage. Dale obviously thought these directions were sketch af and he told Johnny to give him a call when he got there and to give him the address before he went into the place. Dale, having known Johnny since Alelementary School and spoke to him almost daily, said that he was that his good natured friend sounded lighthearted on the phone. That night. He told him the woman wasn't there at the garage, but instead he met a man. Johnny said it was an odd encounter. The woman or the man in the garage said he was making a movie and showed him a replica handgun. Dale figured the date was over and that his friend would go home.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 2: But less than an hour and a half later, Dale received an email from Johnny saying she's so now I'm heading over again. Dale thinks that was the last time he had ant real contact with Johnny.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see where this is going, do you? I think I do. Anyways, there's gonna be like some emails or contact back and forth where he's actually talking to Mark clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which I actually think that Dexter might have done that in the shows.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure it's been so long.
Speaker 2: We got to watch it again. So Dale tried to reach Johnny throughout the weekend, as they did have plans to meet up on Sunday, but he heard nothing from his friend. He finally received an email from him on Monday, along with some other friends, saying, I've met an extraordinary woman named Jen who has offered to take me on a nice long tropical vacation. Will be staying in her winter home in Costa Rica. Phone number to follow, see you around the holidays.
Speaker 3: Johnny, Wow, that's slightly suspicious.
Speaker 2: Like a super random email.
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, Right after He's contacted his friend saying yeah, that data was supposed to go on, yet it turned out to be a dude in a shady garage with a replica handgun.
Speaker 2: Oh, this email didn't sound right to Johnny's friends. He apparently hated the heat and never signed off his emails with his name, but rather with a joke. I think that's so fun. I want to start signing my emails off with a joke.
Speaker 3: Just dad jokes all the time, Growing more.
Speaker 2: And more concerned by the day. The following Friday, so October seventeenth, Dale and a few of the of his other friends drove to Johnny's apartment and broke in through a window. What they found there was Johnny's passport, luggage, and an apartment that did not look like the resident just took off for an extended tropical vacation figures right, Yeah, exactly. Apparently. An email also went to Johnny's boss with a resignation letter saying he had found a new path. The boss asked where to send his last check, but never heard anything back, and it was like, I didn't have this in the notes, but it was reported that he was owed like fifteen hundred bucks. So I'm dang pretty sure you'd be oled fifteen hundred bucks. You're going to answer that email?
Speaker 3: I mean, what's his information? We could send him banks then he could just you know, oh, deposit it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Ben. At that point, Johnny was reported missing to the police, and because his friends knew of his last whareboats, the police were led right to Mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I feel like that's like a little a little bit of just like goodness of this story, Like, yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: A little bit of like precautions that they took. It didn't save them, but at least made sure that Mark was captured, yeah, or identified.
Speaker 2: I know. I just love that they were looking out for each other, really, is what I feel like. When Mark was initially questioned, he was not suspicious to the police. He was quite cooperative and actually wouldn't shut up. He made it seem as though the garage had many things out of place that he was unknown, that was unknown to him, like almost like someone had been using it, you know, without him knowing. It wasn't until he told them he had bought a red Mazda off a stranger for forty bucks and it was parked at a friend's house that they felt they might have their guy. That red Nazda just so happened to be Johnny's and something the police were looking for the police. Oh, sorry, we're going to say something.
Speaker 3: Why would he have told them that he has Johnny's car? Like, why would he have said that?
Speaker 2: Oh? There was a reasoning why he said that. I think, well, because it was at his friend's house and the police were like also contacting the friends and stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it was going to be found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think, yeah, this was okay. This was even after he was questioned in person. He sent an email I think saying this. I'm just like, I don't know he I mean, he knows that he was going to get caught. I think he was just he was he was being smart about it.
Speaker 3: I guess he was trying to cover his tracks, but he knew he was pretty much backed into a corner. Yeah, I gotcha.
Speaker 2: The police then confiscated Mark's car, which contained a laptop. A laptop in the drunk On that laptop was a document that had been previously deleted, but they recovered it and it was titled s K Confessions, which stood for serial killer Confessions.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh my god, is he really that fucking dumb?
Speaker 2: It began with the passage The story is based on true events. The names and events were altered slightly to protect the guilty. This is the story of my progression into becoming a serial killer. It detailed every moment of the victim's slaughter, from the plan to use the dating site to lure them in to the glee taken in carefully dismembering the body. It was a forty two page document and had other passages such as I grabbed his jaw with my gloved hand and moved it while making a funny noise to make it look like it was talking, and chuckled to mindself the stillness of it all.
Speaker 3: Okay, first of all, how dumb do you have to be to make the write down any.
Speaker 2: Sort of I know confession Like see Okay, I warned you as at the beginning, he is not a dexter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and second of all, how fucking pretentious are you to write your own basically biography of this sort of stuff like that? Like, what the fuck is going through this guy's head? What a tool?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like, well, here, I'll just finish this one section. He talked about cutting open the torso of the victim and watching the organ slowly collapse. Mark wrote down everything in that diary, but claimed to the police that it was only fiction. Of course, So he's like a filmmaker and he's just saying, oh, this is just like my next story or whatever, and it's not real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I doubt that.
Speaker 2: It wasn't until October thirty first that Mark was actually arrested, after police got word that Johnny's blood was found in the trunk of his car. Got him, They got him. The lead investigator of the case believe Johnny is actually a hero. By him communicating to his friends and letting them know of his whereabouts, he saved this from happening to anyone else. Mark could have remained under raider for much longer if someone didn't know of Johnny's whereaboats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we kind of already touched on that, but that the investigators recognized it. They had told that to Johnny's mom, so I'm like, oh, the police were armed with evidence. It was noted most homicide files take up two or three three inch binders of evidence and notes and such, but they had twenty one binders on.
Speaker 3: Mark, Mark marking my boy, you fucked dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like they just had like freaking evidence coming out of the phraw. It's believed Johnny was hit over the head with the pipe shortly after entering the darkened garage, stabbed to death, and then dismembered on the table inside the garage. His body was then partially burned in a barrel and dumped down a sewer in an alley located close to Mark's parents' house. The remains in that sewer weren't actually not found until two years later, after Mark had finally disclosed their location, so the family like didn't have closure for quite some time. Really freaking jerk, no kidding. Blood was apparently everywhere, according to evidence, And I'm going to paint a little bit of a picture here for you, So I do apologize ahead of time.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, you might want to think your choice the words. I don't know if you did it on purpose. Blood was everywhere. I'm gonna paint a picture like wow.
Speaker 2: All right you okay, No, I didn't mean that. Oh gosh.
Speaker 3: Ah sorry.
Speaker 2: Blood stained the cement of the kill room seeped into the teeth and joints of the knives and saws and other butcher tools that were used to dismember Johnny reports a heavy duty carving kit was used normally used by hunters to chop up like moose and gear and stuff. Kind of like, honestly, just like reading this and when I was doing my research, like I kind of lots of times, my stomach was just like not feeling quite great.
Speaker 3: But well, I mean it sounds like this guy was going through some fucking shit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, blood was on the makeshift metal table of his alleged kill room, which is just gross because he had gotten his crew members from the House of Cards film to make that, right, so they had no idea what they were like actually making.
Speaker 3: They've literally made a butcher table for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, blood saturated the end of a copper pipe mark used to club Johnny blood was on Mark's pants, stitching of hoodie, car, computer, keyboard, hockey masks, cleaning supplies. Blood was even found on Mark's shoe and belt he was wearing at the time he was rested three weeks after the murder.
Speaker 3: So he did not clean shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have it in here SEEO dexter sloppy sloppy slough.
Speaker 3: No kidding, Decks does not leave anything behind.
Speaker 2: No, like, because I know he did the whole like plastic thing and stuff, but like clearly did a shit job.
Speaker 3: No kidding now because he's like this amateur filmmaker dude or whatever. Did he? Was there any video evidence of this found because he probably recorded.
Speaker 2: Some, not that I actually researched. I don't think he videoed it. No, I don't think he videoed it, not from anything I.
Speaker 3: Saw, because wasn't the entire purpose of him doing this was to fulfill his horror.
Speaker 2: They had whatever, they had filmed a film, and he was just his fantasy was like to replicate that, oh, to replicate it, oh like in real life. But I don't think he wasn't like filming it to put him out there.
Speaker 3: Okay. I thought he was like, I want to make the best horror film ever, and I'm going to do it like legit and okay.
Speaker 2: No, I think, and I think I touched on it later. But he just had a fantasy of like actually killing someone.
Speaker 3: He's a fucking tool, that's what he is.
Speaker 2: And at this point they were the police were obviously convinced that the deleted document on Mark's laptop is a true account of Johnny's murder, because remember he said that it was. Yeah, the document had also mentioned another victim, Jill's, who had mentioned earlier. This is the point where Jills does come forward. The police put out a picture of the mask they believe Mark was wearing during the attacks in hopes to find the victim, and then at this point Jill's come forward and he was there to be able to testify against Mark in court. So he did, you know, he came forward, which I think is great, Yeah.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent, But if he only came forward a little sooner, he.
Speaker 2: No, if he came forward right away, yeah, yeah. It's believed Mark's motive was purely for the experience of killing another person and to make a more authentic serial killer movie, so it was almost like research for him. Then, really, I think. Mark was found a first degree murder and sent to life in prison with no chance of parole for twenty five years.
Speaker 3: You should get more than that.
Speaker 2: I know he should never get out. Really, I didn't want to touch too much on the trial because I feel like it's kind of obvious that the right decision was made, but I did want to give an idea of the closing arguments of the trial. He's a bit wild. The crown said Mark is a man who had an elaborate plan to kill a stranger, while the defense said Mark was involved in an altercation that spun out of control. And to touch on this, Mark had admitted he posed as a woman on the internet to lure Johnny to the garage, but it was only a hoax for a movie project. Mark said Johnny became enraged when he learned he wasn't meeting a date and attacked him with a pipe, causing Mark to stab Johnny in self defense. But that pipe, that the pipe had Johnny's blood on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was just gonna say, But there's no evidence of that. The evidence is the pipe was beaten Johnny over the head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like, I don't know I mean, yeah, lawyers and stuff are great, but I just couldn't imagine like the defense lawyer, Like I couldn't imagine being a lawyer and defend someone like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't. It's it's got to be a slimy kind of person to be able to do that for someone.
Speaker 2: Or they're just literally doing it for making money, right, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they they disconnect themselves from what's actually going on. They're just Okay, this is my job. I got to do it, and they do.
Speaker 2: It because twenty one pages of evidence or twenty one binders not pages bindersers.
Speaker 3: Man, I could not do that job. I could not defend someone that. I'd be like, I'm defending you, okay, and I get into court. He's fucking guilty. He confessed. I heard him in the back room. Here's a recording. Send him to jail.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that would be your only lawyer your case because he done worth of it.
Speaker 3: Sent someone to jail deserves it.
Speaker 2: This is really interesting too. So since Mark's been in prison, it's been reported that he purchased a TV and has caught up on every Dexter episode since he was arrested. I'm like that show should be banned from him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no kidding.
Speaker 2: The author who played Dexter, Michael C. Hall, was interviewed at one point about the case, stating that he didn't think Dexter supported the lifestyle of killers. He said, I would hope that people's appreciation was more than some sort of fetishization with the kill scenes. I wouldn't stop making Dexter because someone was fascinated by it. Only in that way. I try to tell myself their fixated nature would have done it one way or the other. But it seems that Dexter had something to do with it. It's horrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is horrifying. Well, Dexter's whole thing, though, is he has this like almost monster living in him that like has this insatiable need to kill. And so what he does is he uses that when he does have to feed it, he kills those who are killing others. So he's trying to use it for good, almost like a superhero in a way. Yeah, where he's trying to take out murderers and that's all he does. Where this guy just prayed on an innocent fucking person that is not Dexter.
Speaker 2: Remember in the House of Cards film, thing that it was like someone who was cheating on their wife, but then he didn't actually go out and get someone that was bad, Like Johnny seems like he's amazing well.
Speaker 3: And cheating on on someone. I mean, yeah, that's a bad fucking thing. Don't fucking do that. That doesn't mean you should get fucking murdered. No, I mean you should be fucking divorced and left single and that person you cheated on should move on to better things.
Speaker 2: And yeah, because Dexter, like the people were really bad. Yeah, I actually think it's coming back to me. I feel like it was his dad or his stepdad or something that had known Dexter had this dark side and they had Yeah, they had made this like packed or whatever that every you're needing to fulfill your fantasy. It's like a bad person. I need to watch the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was something about how he taught them to use it as an outlet and like, yeah, if you got to do it, like do it to someone who deserves it exactly to do good in the long run.
Speaker 2: This is also ugh, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Dexter would have killed this dude. Lastly, Dexter would have killed this fucker.
Speaker 2: He totally would have one hundred percent. This other thing. Oh, I just hate I hate this too. Apparently Mark has a profile online on Canadian Inmates Connect and I had never heard of this. So this is a site that helps prisoners find pen pals on the outside. It's thirty five dollars for a yearly profile. Inmates don't have access to the Internet or email, so they mail in their application. The woman who runs the site said she hasn't refused anyone and that every Canadian inmate deserves the right to connect with the outside world, regardless of their crime. She says, their crime should define them. They're in prison and that's their punishment. They've lost their freedom, so why continue to keep punishing them?
Speaker 3: But that is giving them a little more freedom though, And.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I understand people totally fine, but not him, Like he used a profile like that to kill someone. Yeah, Like, I just don't think everyone should should be okay with this'.
Speaker 3: That's a there's two sides to that coin. I mean, she is right, they like some people could take advantage of that, and and sorry not take advantage, but they could use that in a good way and maybe might help rehabilitate that Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: There was stories where it was it was helpful for some.
Speaker 3: But there are other cases where it's like, yeah, he's done this exact thing in the past, take advantage of it and used it to kill someone like man, his freedom has been taken away. He shouldn't have the freedom to do that.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I think something like that should go through an application process, like you said, but she shouldn't just be accepting everyone.
Speaker 2: And that's some I think some people should totally be. And it was also said that what did it say that there's a clause on there? Because if something from this goes bad, like what say, if Mark like meets someone and then gets out or whatever and then kills them, Like, that's not on her.
Speaker 3: If you have to have a clause like that, maybe you should look at your fucking program and prevent that thing from happening in the first place.
Speaker 2: I know, fuck, I have it on here. I was going to say, Mark's what Mark's profile says. I'm looking for an interesting, intelligent, open minding, open minded, delightfully imperfect woman to relate to and share amusing observations with, as well as potentially a long weekend every few months if it gets there. Naturally. Also on his profile is his expected release date of twenty twenty seven, which is actually not that far away.
Speaker 3: He needs to rot for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: But then I think that I don't know from other stuff I've read, like he's doing good in prison, so he's, oh my gosh, like that's only six years away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you want to do you want to create a profile on catfish? As fucker?
Speaker 2: I know, I even when I was like, when I'm presenting this, people might be like, I need a doctor him. Okay, So this is just basically the last part and I literally hate everything about this, but I'm going to say it anyway, all laid on us. Though none of Mark's films were ever released good. He went on to star on International News, a Datelight and Dateline NBC episode, and a book for what he did to Johnny, which is just kind of disgusting when you think about it. His dream was to make blockbuster films, but he became the star of his show and became famous. Anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing is, I mean, even us talking about him now is kind of giving him that that satisfaction, which kind of hurts. Is why we try and try and tell the perspective of the victim more so than anything. Yeah, but this guy's trash. He doesn't deserve this notoriety that he's getting.
Speaker 2: I know. And like I said it at the beginning, he was even married and had like an infant, like a child under one at the time.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 2: So that poor little girl like growing growing up to know that your dad did something like this.
Speaker 3: It's disgusting. I can't imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's the dexter killer of Edmonton, Alberta.
Speaker 3: Ooh okay, this was like two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Eight, thousand and eight. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's already getting out, like in two thousand and seven. That's not even two nineteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he had it said that he had got twenty five years or had to have minimum of twenty five years. I don't know. Maybe he's just being optimistic.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe because you said that he's like doing really good, showing signs of rehabilitation, maybe they've lessened his sentence. Yeah, which I mean, if you get fucking life in jail twenty five years or whatever with no chance parole or anything, you should get that.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: It seems like every fucking case we look up or research or I listen to on other podcasts, they're like, you're going to jail for X amount of time and then not even close to that time, they're just out walking the streets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what the fuck? But then after even a length the amount of time in prison, I don't know, we'll probably come across some cases. I think there are, like I think the majority of them don't reoffend.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna tell you right now the case that I'm researching for next week.
Speaker 2: Okay, am I gonna just eat my words right now?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, this dude uh in and out in and out, in and out. Oh, let's just say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, huh. I mean especially too because like this was Mark's first offense, right, so, yeah, I don't know it'd be interesting. I mean, it's not interesting at all. It's actually like horrifying. I was gonna say, to see if he does something when he gets so, but that's just a horrifying thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't want to see him ever get out now, but clearly he's apparently going to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Probably, but we have a bit of time before that happens, so.
Speaker 3: It's still still it's not enough time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'll put up some pictures and such on our Instagram. What do I I actually saved a ton of photos from this case, so I'm gonna have to pick what. I'll definitely put a picture of Johnny.
Speaker 3: Well, you can put up like those like kalash things where it's like a group of like a bunch of photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could do that. Yeah, but I'll definitely put one of Johnny because I think that he was actually a really good person.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree.
Speaker 2: And this should not have happened to him.
Speaker 3: That's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Everyone, Yeah, we appreciate you being here.
Speaker 2: Are you going to give us any any hints on what your next one's going to be on?
Speaker 3: Well, the next one I will. I'll give you guys a hint. The next one's actually a recommended case from Kristin out there. Thank you Kristin, a friend of mine from like way back in the day. Awesome. Yeah, and she wrecked commended the what was it called his title again, the dating game Killer because he actually starred on that classic dating game you know where it's like Bachelor number one, what would you do on a date? And Bachelor number two? What would you like? That sort of stuff. Yeah, he actually starred on that show in the midst of his whole ordeal.
Speaker 1: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and that's from the States, right, it is, and it takes place back in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, because I actually recognize or that brings a bell to me, but I didn't realize it was so long ago. Yeah, I was not born at that time.
Speaker 3: No, we were a little bit afterwards. We're eighties babies.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, that's exciting.
Speaker 3: So that's what's coming up next week. And I think you did a great job in this case. And honestly, what was this dude's name again, I'm trying to forget his names, you know what, let's not even say his name. The dude who committed these crimes. Fuck him, he's trash.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he is in the place he deserves right now. Yeah, and I hope he stays there for a little bit percent.
Speaker 3: Well, thanks for doing a great episode, babe. It make sure you guys.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was like, what I was pointing to you to do it, stay wicked.
Speaker 3: There you go.