Speaker 1: A yell Camels, the cigarette that first in the service Presents from the sixth Ferrying Group Air Transport Command at Long Beach, California.
Speaker 2: The Abbott and Costello program, Everybody.
Speaker 1: Darkness hangs and the Cameo five The Nice des mis Merle Oberon and starring what Abbott and Little Costello?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on?
Speaker 4: What's the matter with you? Costello?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: I want to ask you a very personal question.
Speaker 6: Do you think I'm pat where I'd say you were on the plump side?
Speaker 4: Why do you ask? Well, I was hovering by one of those big hangars, I was standing next to a blimp. All of a sudden, enough's a point to me, and says, look to making them with faces. Now, Oh, he was just kidding.
Speaker 6: You know, there's nobody that has a better sense of humor than a flying man.
Speaker 4: I know that too, have it because I'm a flying man myself. What do you mean? I started flying when I was a six months old baby. You flew when you were a baby. Yet I flew out of my nurse's arms and made a perfect one point landing. You mean three pine, No, one point? My safety pin was open, Costello. I don't believe you've ever been up in the air. Oh, yes, I have. I used to be a hostess when you walked into that with my friend.
Speaker 6: For your information, plane hostesses are always female.
Speaker 4: This was a male plane. Tell me, Costello, when was the last time you were up in the plane. Do you want the truth or my version? Oh no, no, no, no, I want the trew. I think we'd get more last year other way. No no, no, no, no, tell the drew. Okay, I'll tell it truth, all right. I took my first plane ride today. Captain Dick Lasher took me up in a great big plane. Try himtor, try what I said, try motor. Certainly we tried to motive. What do you think we did? Push it? Gnawski. I'm not going to get up there and don't.
Speaker 7: Try all right, forget about it saying.
Speaker 4: About the motor.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no the other things.
Speaker 7: By the way, what kind of a pilot is he?
Speaker 6: Was?
Speaker 4: He flying blind? Ah? He was perfectly stubber. What a dope, of course he was sober. Well, never mind that, you know, Loom. I wonder what these boys down here at Long Beach do when they go on leave. Well, I saw a bunch of the boys down at the beach with their girlfriends. Did they get down there to school? Well, they didn't get down there to wash their socks. Well, here's Ken, Niles. I've been waiting to see you again. I was wondering what your wife thought of the picture we made last week. That's right, Niles. What does she think of my acting?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't mind telling you that she absolutely raved?
Speaker 4: She raved?
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, they took her away the next morning.
Speaker 4: What's so funny about that? Did you make that up yourself? Yeah? Out of my head. You certainly are quick hate that way, I know you do. But quit arguing, Costell. I want to hear more about the picture. Did you read any reviews? Ken? Yeah? Sure.
Speaker 1: The Druggis Weekly gave the picture four aspirds.
Speaker 7: See what happens?
Speaker 4: Don't We've got the band framed up. Surry's got the band frame That wasn't a funny line. There was nothing nothing funny about that, brother, Can you imagine lessen? Ken? I read all the reviews, and even missus Roosevelt mentioned our picture in her column. What did she say? She said? My day was ruined? That's the one line. I don't know why they got it in well, didn't we get any compliments at all? Oh? Sure, we got one chair that I remember where from the Bronx.
Speaker 3: The Bronx, you know?
Speaker 4: And Hitler's face without music?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Well, maybe.
Speaker 4: We should give up the idea of producing our own pictures though, would you'll be silly? Her a few pictures incorporators? Here to stay and I'm ready to start another picture right now? Push the button for myselfecretary. What's the idea of a horn for a buzzy? She used to be a waitress and a driver?
Speaker 8: Oh O course, I'm sorry it was late this morning.
Speaker 4: Are you doing anything tonight?
Speaker 9: Why you no, not a thing?
Speaker 4: Then try and get here on time tomorrow morning, the fine secretary, how did you get a job here?
Speaker 10: I used to be in pitches. I played in the way of all flesh?
Speaker 4: What part did you play?
Speaker 10: One of the meetfuls?
Speaker 4: Everybody your slash for me? All right? Have patience? Have patience. By the way, do I have any appointments today? Yes, at twelve o'clock you have an appointment with Hetty Lamar. What am I doing after that?
Speaker 6: N He asked, mister Costello, could I speak to you for a moment? Why it's spots for Twink or sell the man. What's on your mind? Bots Well, I want you to know that I was terribly hurt because I wasn't in your picture last week with Carmen Miranda. After all, if you're looking for two faces, look at me. My face is new, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Oh? Very new? In fact, your whole head has only been slightly used. Please give me a chance, mister castell O. Help. I really do have a lot of talent, you know.
Speaker 6: I do most of the voices and all the leons schlessing your cartoons for Warner Brothers.
Speaker 4: Don't tell me. Yeah. For instance, here's a little porky pig.
Speaker 6: If if this is the way I did, heap talk when I play it, heap the porkyp Parky the day.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 6: I'll play Parky for you for a thousand dollars you're talking about Warner Brothers.
Speaker 4: Don't pay you that, I know, But pork has gone up? What else do you do?
Speaker 10: Botsford?
Speaker 4: Did you ever hear bugs? Bunny? I have a carrot here, so I'll give you a little sample. And what chip dock?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What do you say? He wats cooking? Huh?
Speaker 6: Of course if you use bugs, bunny, you'll have to use my wife, missus bunny.
Speaker 4: But we can't use two rabbits in our picture. Well, we couldn't separate them. That would be splitting hairs.
Speaker 6: Well, if you can't use the rabbit, maybe I could furnish some of the musical background. I can imitate an electric organ. Listen do you call it an organ?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 4: Listen Potsford, I can't use any of that stuff in my picture. Now, will you get out of here? Now? Look what you now? Look what you now?
Speaker 1: Look at you?
Speaker 4: Every time you yell at, yell at, yell at me?
Speaker 6: I guess why do you yell what? I know?
Speaker 4: I know I talk loud.
Speaker 7: He gets to hit.
Speaker 4: I don't yell at him. Do something for the pastor these spots toots. But I'm talking a lot and easy, not take it easy, No more hiccups. That brings him out of it. That brings him out of it because I didn't know that. All right, take it is? How do you feel? Uh better? Now?
Speaker 1: Oh? You do?
Speaker 4: I see you're fine? Oh my glad?
Speaker 5: That have it?
Speaker 4: Now let's get back to this picture. But mister Castell, are you sure you can't use the organ?
Speaker 3: Fox?
Speaker 4: But How many times do I have to tell you that? Please?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm doing? Hey, Lolu Castello or yes, Niles.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you something. Do you know anything about winter sports?
Speaker 4: Are you kidding? I'm one of the best jumpers in the country, really sure? Last winter late lass if I made my biggest jump. I climbed up to the tump of a slide. Thousands of people were looking up at me. And when I leaped into the year, I went down at sixty miles an hour, and I made a sensational jump up two hundred feet two hundred feet yep. And I could have even come further if there was snow. Oh tonight, Thank you, Lou.
Speaker 1: I know another good skier, and his name is Dick Duran, and he's one of the finest skiers in the world. In fact, he's so good that the government asked him to give instructions to ski troopers in.
Speaker 11: Lightning fast mountain warfare.
Speaker 2: Dick knows he's smoking too, he said.
Speaker 4: Quote, I've smoked camels for years.
Speaker 11: They have the full rich flavor that I want in a cigarette. No matter how often I smoke camels, never tire my taste, never get my throat unquote yes.
Speaker 1: And with many in all the services, camel is the favorite too, according to actual sales records in the stores where they buy cigarettes. Try camels yourself for steady pleasure. You'll like the way they hold up were well pack after pack, no matter how many you smoke. The reason is extra flavor. And you know camels always have more flavor better. Yet camels combine flavor with extra mildness, the extra mildness that goes with slow burning and cool smoking. One reason for that is costlier tobaccos blend. It is only camels know how to blend. I remember, you're the one who's doing your smoke. Your throat and your taste will tell you he camel's get up back tonight. Send a carton too, that fellow in the service.
Speaker 2: With the orchest dry and the camel file with a new treatment for an old tune. By the light of the silvery moon, By thee of.
Speaker 10: The silvery moon, My.
Speaker 5: Money lost, honey moon, Keep listen, Your silvery peas will bring not peace, will because them buy the silberry boom, oh, buy the silberry.
Speaker 4: Costel, and we can't hold up production on your new picture any longer. Now we've got to get a leading lady. How about giving that secretary view as a chance. She has blue eyes and blonde hair and a supreme court figure.
Speaker 7: What do you mean a supreme card figure?
Speaker 4: A supreme court figure? What are your appeals? Oh, besides typhone Merle o'bron about playing a leading card. You did, yes, I picked up the receiver. I said, Merle Darling, Merle sweetheart, Merle my love, And then then I dialed.
Speaker 3: Her number, Merle Obron, Merle o'bron. The s in our picture, you know.
Speaker 4: And I sent for a new fashion designer. What is this but just popping hair? What what happened?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: Now wait, even I sent for a new fashion designer.
Speaker 2: Is that it?
Speaker 4: Now he's saying, come in, you don't even in James and Man, I'm your new fashion designer. Uh, pier up a to my friends, I'm pu you said it, but hey, get over that guy's hair. He's a male Ronica Lake. Yeah, this is Lilule Castello. How do you do?
Speaker 2: Mister Costello?
Speaker 4: You are just the man I'm looking at.
Speaker 2: I'm not seeing you in.
Speaker 3: Your long distance.
Speaker 4: He wear his hair hangs over his face. Pardon me, Pierre, does your mother have to stay by a ship dog lean the man alone. We've got to get him to the design miss O'Brien's clothes. Now, no more remarks about his hair looks like a palm tree in a high.
Speaker 12: Wind, doesn't where mister Costello, I admit that my hair is a standing joke.
Speaker 4: Well, it needs a new switch. I don't know what's wrong there. I keep quiet.
Speaker 6: We must have miss O'Brien's wadrobe design before she gets here. Pierre, would you mind telling us some of your ideas on women's clothes?
Speaker 4: Oh not at all.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: The main thing is color harmony. Color harmony. What's that? Well, it's very simple, mister Constello. For instance, if you were carrying a pink bag, you would not wear a green dress with you. Oh gracious no, I wouldn't there. I'd be the laughing stock of my sewing circle. All right, forget a skip those things. Tell me.
Speaker 6: If you are with a shortage of materials, how about something plain for miss o'bron to wear.
Speaker 4: We'll call it a defense. How about that? How about making a lot of bob wire that isn't the fence ain't exactly an invitation? Go ahead, beer, suggest a dress for Merle O'Brien. You know something that she can wear in our picture?
Speaker 12: Well, being a brunette, I would suggest that I make miss soberon a gown of apple green with a peach skirt, a lemon trimmings, plum ruffles, an orange belt, and a tangerine scarf and a dress that's.
Speaker 4: A fruit salad. Nevertheless, that sounds fine. Now what about Merle's hat? Well, the hat should be a very simple, but very smart. Do you think the boys in camp here would like miser in a hat that has three roses and a ribbon on the side, No, they'd right, I have four roses with a chase around a side. I'll get out of here and I'll design to close myself of costelly. You can't design cloth, that's all. I just invented a lady's leg paint that takes the place of stockings. It even covers knees. It disguises the knees. You said it, you can hardly recognize the old joints. Well, we let Merle Obron design her own clothes with a picture.
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 9: Yes, and I'm just a girl looking do it?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Listen, kid, you keep out of this look who it is.
Speaker 3: It's Merle, Obron, Merle.
Speaker 4: I'm overjoyed. I'm overcome, I'm overwhelmed. I'm over here, Merl. I've always been in love with you. You're so beautiful. Can I give you a kiss?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 9: All right, for just one? Where did he hand a kiss like that?
Speaker 4: I used to be a buger and a boy scout love. If you folks don't mind, we'll go over the script of the picture that you are going to play tonight. It's a story of the Knights of Old Merle. You play a beautiful princess and you wear a hoopskirt.
Speaker 3: Hoopskirt, Yeah, hoopskirt.
Speaker 4: That's a parachute with lags. Costello plays the part of the night he's in love with you.
Speaker 9: I thought nights, but all.
Speaker 4: Well, kid, on account of daylight saving time, the nights are getting short. As the first scene opens, Marle, you're in the palace, so we din the arrival of your lover. You are playing the organ organs like this, Bosphor and tin it u to come be in this part. I got it in again. Shout at him. I'm sorry, I'm starting shout all right, I'm showing up talking me last. All right, once we got.
Speaker 2: Out of him in the I'm talking, I'm okay.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, pot, but I'm okay. Now, mister Costello, I'm glad you're now keep out of the picture. You get it all, but I'm sorry. Please put a gag in his mouth. Put a gag in heir's mouth. If I had a gag, I'd tell it myself.
Speaker 1: Come on, let's get back with this story.
Speaker 4: Costello as a knight. Your costume is a suit of armor.
Speaker 9: That's right blue. You wear an iron coat and iron vest and iron trousers. In fact, you wear a whole iron suit.
Speaker 4: What do I get A person lucky?
Speaker 9: Now your suit may become rusty, so you better keep yourself well.
Speaker 3: Oil.
Speaker 4: I'd have to be oiled to make love to you in an iron suit, merco. You walk out on the balcony, yes, and I sneak.
Speaker 3: Right up to it.
Speaker 9: How do you get across the moat?
Speaker 4: I caught the guard with his bridges down. Then we have the big scene where Costello tranaded you with a.
Speaker 9: Song of love and lou I will drop a flower on you in a man.
Speaker 7: That moment of love in a pot, you signal that the coast is clear and costello.
Speaker 4: You climbed a balcony, you reach Merle's side. You're panting from the long climb in that suit of armor. Yes, that's it. You gaze into her eyes. Remember this is your big chance. Never buy no more pants here by that there's a motion in your voice as you stand there in your riding suit. What do you say to her?
Speaker 13: Hey kid, if you got a can opener, here's Connie Haynes or the camel five with a new room with a pan of coal, parner as still awego.
Speaker 8: In a small canteen on an aisles, and you read the lean.
Speaker 10: To a hot guitar.
Speaker 8: All the things gone Dandy used together about when the lovely Lena Lady Zana.
Speaker 10: Were given and given up to too bad remark.
Speaker 2: Hot sole.
Speaker 10: Food, Chuck Queen Hall.
Speaker 8: Once they'd married, Lena and her rich cool guys moved past the sina where the best people go to die. But when she collected on his copper prefers back to her canteena lovely Lena, when Lyon and she paned.
Speaker 3: Alas si.
Speaker 10: Angle to we musta.
Speaker 14: Saa angles and there's mood sya just last sweet home. How to wagle, to be we muscle to wargle, and that glues yard squeeze.
Speaker 2: And all ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Perfume Pictures Incorporated resents the great Costume drama entitled The Brave Knight cut Off the Dragon's Tale or the Dragon Isn't Wagon Anymore. The beautiful Princess Guinevere is played by Merle Oberon. Lou Costello is the brave Knight, Sir Porterhouse, and Bud Abbott is his good friend, Sir Lloin I played the part of the king. As the scene opens, the Princess and I await the arrival of two brave knights in our kingdom curtain. Greetings, brave knights, kindly approached the throne.
Speaker 4: Greeting your majesty.
Speaker 11: I am sir Lyin Knight of the Bath from Saxony, and I.
Speaker 4: Am Sir Porterhouse, not of the Bath from Constantinople.
Speaker 6: What kind of worse.
Speaker 3: I'm Stantanople, Yeah, Turkish Beth.
Speaker 9: Greetings, brave Knights, I'm the Princess Guinevere.
Speaker 4: And who are those beautiful dames with you?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 9: My ladies and' waiting?
Speaker 4: Well? What are we waiting for?
Speaker 9: Oh supporter House? You must save our kingdom. The people are angry, they're camering outside the gates of the palace. Just listen to them, clamor.
Speaker 4: Did you hear that the people are rebolting? They certainly are.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, the people are starving. They've not eaten in five days.
Speaker 4: Or they should try and force themselves. They gotta eat. But, my dear princess, have we no food?
Speaker 9: And last, no, the dragon has destroyed our crops.
Speaker 4: You mean all our corner's gone?
Speaker 9: Yes, there's only enough left for this program.
Speaker 4: What's so funny about that? What a fresh princess? Listen, listen to the people shouting. They have been shouting for five days.
Speaker 2: But I dare not speak to them.
Speaker 4: I will speak to the people, Your majesty, open the door. I'm make your speech me. I got him now, my dear princess, just what do you desire us to do?
Speaker 9: My dear night. For several years now, my father has been bothered by a terrible dragon.
Speaker 4: Why does he pick up his feet? You don't understand, You don't understand. Nobody understood that.
Speaker 1: Today the dragon is coming to carry off the princess Guinneville.
Speaker 9: You must save me from this mean monster.
Speaker 4: Supporterhouse. He's a very mean beast.
Speaker 10: He has two heads, one at each end.
Speaker 4: How does she shut down.
Speaker 3: Be can't?
Speaker 10: That's what makes him so mean.
Speaker 4: Well, don't be mean. I don't worry all right, I'm about one mistake. I am not afraid of nothing. One time I climbed up a tree and I bagged a ferocious tiger.
Speaker 9: You went up a tree after a tiger.
Speaker 4: No, he came up after me, But you said you bagged him. I did bag him. I begged him to go away.
Speaker 9: But what happened?
Speaker 4: Well, I snapped at the tiger, snapped at me, and suddenly something was past me.
Speaker 10: What was it?
Speaker 4: Hamanamona Falk says, will you? Then my uncle came to my rescue, and I finally brought that tiger home. Stuff?
Speaker 2: What was he stepped with?
Speaker 4: My uncle? Oh, your majesty, the dragon is almost a polis. He's coming to get the princess. Quick, princess, button up my iron suit. Just a minute, I thought you were a pristal.
Speaker 9: I worked a spring shift on the side.
Speaker 4: Look at that thing belching smoking fire? Is that the dragon? It ain't a smuch. Pop. I'm getting out of here.
Speaker 9: He's got us trapped.
Speaker 4: Here he comes, I'll do what he does, do exactly what he does. He still ring at you. Stare back at him. I can't all right, I can't do it quiet. He's roaring at you.
Speaker 2: Roll back at him.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, now he's wagging his tail. That lets me out. You guy even got a joge's gonna charge? How much.
Speaker 1: Dragon got I haven't got this.
Speaker 4: There's a fancy line. I know what the gulls got it the dragon's neck. Let him know what do I care about their love life? Give me my short, Give me my short. Somebody, I'll cut as nose off. That is something that should only interest I'm not a dragon.
Speaker 6: God.
Speaker 4: He's coming at you. Be catul hostello. You back this, turn to him.
Speaker 5: He's coming up behind you.
Speaker 2: He got me.
Speaker 4: Where did he get you? Where the fire was? Wearing a licnise plate. He would have cut off the last three numbers. Hey, he ruined my shuit, my good iron shuit. He wronged you, nasty dragon.
Speaker 3: Get out of here.
Speaker 4: Oh, don't do that.
Speaker 13: Don't yell me.
Speaker 2: How did I do the dress?
Speaker 4: I can't do that. What can I do to keep your clients butts?
Speaker 7: But we're gonna cut it out.
Speaker 4: Sorry yoursall for hollering at him. There's only one, only one thing that will kill in my hiccups. If you let me kiss Miss Oberon.
Speaker 9: Oh very well, I'll kiss you if only you stop those awful hiccups.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Botsford, kiss her.
Speaker 5: Okay, how do you.
Speaker 4: Feel now, Botsford?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I feel fine.
Speaker 1: What some tunes you whistle for a while and then forget another stay with you for years. I think the ones you remember are the ones that have character. I believe that goes for cigarettes too. We say that camels have character, and we back that up with the thousands of smokers who have stood by camels for twenty years and more. We think it's true that more people have smoked camels longer than any other cigarette. Try camels and see for yourself. Try them in your tea zone. That's tea for taste and tea for throat, your own proving ground for cigarettes. Your taste will tell you that camels have more flavor, and it's extra flavor that helps make camels hold up day in and day out, makes the second pact better than the first, and the third better than the second. Your throat will tell you about mildness too. If the best judge, you'll find yes, camels are mild, cool, smoking, slow burning because they're expertly blended of costlier tobaccos. Your throat and your taste will tell you see damn out camel's get it back tonight.
Speaker 4: You'll want to buy a carton tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Here's more news about the camel Caravans, those traveling shows which entertained the men in the army camps. Thirty two performances of the camel caravan units will be given to men in the training station throughout the coming week. And now here are bud Habbit at lu Costello.
Speaker 4: With a final word, thanks ken ladies and gentlemen. It's really been a thrill forgotton me to do this program from the Ferry in Command airburs here at Long Beach, and an added thrill to be here with Merril o'bron.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lou.
Speaker 4: I had a wonderful time.
Speaker 9: And it's been lots of fun.
Speaker 6: That's right, Marl, And we'd like to extend our sincere thanks to Colonel Ralph Eastpeake, Lieutenant Colonel John P.
Speaker 4: Frame Junior.
Speaker 6: And there's splendid staff of officers for the opportunity to make this visit. Next week, we'll be back in Hollywood on Thanksgiving Days. In addition to the regular gang, we'll have us our guest Herbert Marshalls, and we do hope you'll all join us until next Thursday. But night, wish you all a very pleasant good night.
Speaker 2: She's got four great shows each week.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow Night to Cambel Caravan with Lanny Ross, Xavier Kugat, Herb Triner, lou Lair and their guest star Bob Holp, Saturday Night Thanks to the Yanks with Bob Hawk, Monday Night Blondie, and next Thursday at the same time ab In Costello with their guests Herbert Marshall. Our broadcast this evening was from the sixth Ferrying Group Air Transport Command at Long Beach and does not constitute an endorsement of our product by the War Department, as they do not endorse any product. The Army has also requested us to make this announcement to all men of eighteen and nineteen. There is a serious need for young men, so serious at the Art is willing to let man of eighteen and nineteen choose whatever branch of service they desire go to your nearest Army recruiting office or induction station tomorrow learn about the jobs the Army has open in thirteen different branches, all explained by men who know these jobs inside and out. Listen to the Camel Caravan tomorrow night with Manny Ross, Xavier Kugat, perb Shiner, lu Lair and their guest star Bob Hope.
Speaker 2: And now this is Kendles wherehy you are?
Speaker 4: Good eyes.
Speaker 11: Mister. If you've got a pipe that's biting you, why, it just means one thing. Your pipe's hungry, yes, sir, hungry for Prince Albert, the mild rich, tasty tobacco that won't bite your tongue because it's no bite treated PA's crimp cut two for easy packing and stay lit, burning around fifty pipefuls in every handy pocket package. Get Prince Albert tonight. You'll see why men call it the National Joy Smoke. This is the National Broadcasting Company