Speaker 1: Always look to the sky.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky Experience is on the air seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 1: Now here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 3: And welcome once again, ladies and gentlemen to your weekend as we bring you from the powerhouse blow towards signal talk Radio seventy seven WABC and broadcasting proudly from the center of the universe, New York City to the nation the world. Welcome once again to the Doctor Sky Experience, a show that talks about the great mysteries from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, weather, celebrity guests, and stories of American exceptionalism. As may you may have heard in the past. We love to call our show sort of a theater of the mind, bringing you the best guest that we just mention in this entire two hour experience from the theater. And we'd like to thank our helmsman, both Bill and Jackson, for navigating through the airwaves all the great guests there we get and all the great callers there we get to this radio show. The contact number is always is one eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two, or simply one eight hundred eight four to eight WABC. And while you're at it. We always encourage you to do this. Why not download the WABC app because not only here in our so called theater of the mind, we have opportunities to have you experience the many other rooms in this great broadcast mansion that you can learn about.
Speaker 4: And what would you do.
Speaker 3: You'd be learning so much more about all the great hosts that are on this radio station, and so much more the podcasts and ways to get in touch with the things that go on at WABC. In tonight's adventure, we're going to be doing something a little different. We go back to the I know the basic tenets of the Doctor Sky experience when we talk about astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, but it's one that's interesting, ladies and gentlemen. Is I'd like to throw this question out because so much in the way of space news has happened in the past week. We'll talk in detail in just a few moments about the remnants of the SpaceX booster rocket that impacted the Moon earlier this week. Many of you were told, and I don't know in legacy media that there might be an opportunity to see such an event. You'res truly who's watching it? But we have more important things to share with you about that particular incident. And if we go back into our time tunnel, the question that I want to throw out there to the audience is this, what does the US space program mean to you regarding American exceptionalism. We've been doing this quite a long time and it's interesting, nonetheless to many. But if we go back in our time tonal, let's think about something that happened back in nineteen ninety one, on the date of August nine, the first email was actually sent from space. It seems almost hard to believe that in our busy day we go about sending emails like we don't even give it a second thought. But about the Space Shuttle Atlantis STS forty three, NASA astronauts Shout and Lucid and James Adamson used a Macintosh portable to transmit the first ever email from orbit feeding an applee. And also, if you go deeper into the space subject, on this particular date, that is August the ninth, nineteen seventy six, Luna twenty four was launched.
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 3: The Soviet Union launched Luna twenty four, the final robotic lunar probe on the lunar program which successory returned one hundred and seventy grams of moon soil containing traces of water. And to begin our conversation about the great legacy of space and your questions and comments at one eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two, our very special guest, the guy we go to on space subjects like this, is Rod Pyle. He's the editor in chief of ad Astra Magazine, a print in digital quarterly published by the National Space Society. He's authored many books nonfiction and has co authored four public reports for NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Pyle has hosted two podcasts series, including This Week in Space, and as a frequent guest not only on this show, other national shows, radio shows, and he appears on various television shows as a space expert. With that, we welcome Rod Pile. Rod, thank you, always a pleasure to have you and sharing the information that you do about the space program.
Speaker 5: How are you. I'm very good, Thanks for having me on, and I want to compliment you for something. I think we've talked about this before, but in one of my podcasts, which I was in a setup to do live over at KFI in la our big am blowtorch. They sat me down and I thought we were recording that day and we weren't, and they said, okay, balk and I was like, I was completely tongue tied. And I'm never tongue tied. I do public speaking all the time, but for some reason, sitting in a hot little room with a microphone, I was absolutely paralyzed. So tat's off to you for doing what you do, because it's a lot harder than people think it is.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Rod, And he's not being paid to say that. But again, there are many people out there that do a great job in this. But it's interesting going back to you and you're you know, entire legacy of books that you write. I mean, I'm not a writer. I don't have a book out yet. Many people say I should, but that's another story for another time. And that, of course, is not a subject that I talk about on air. But about you, I got to ask you this route. You know you're fascination for space. Well when did this begin? Because, by the way, I'm two hundred and thirty days older than you and your birthday's coming up on September seventeenth, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is the Big seven zero. Well, you know, back when you and I were in elementary school, I was in pasting to California doing prop drills and all that kind of stuff, and at least here when I went to the school library looking for books on space, all they had was was stuff like the big Golden Book of Rockets and the newest Thing, and it looked like something out of a vond bron and fever dream. You know, it looked like a big silver banana. So there's very little available there. But I was interested, probably from second grade on, because, as you remember, amazing things were happening in the real space program. This is the Space Race, the throwing down the gauntlet by President Kennedy, We're going to beat the Soviet Union to the moon. Then not too much later, quietly saying hey, Russians, would you like to cooperate and going to the moon, But they said no. So we had this as you and I were growing up, this sensational series of flights in the Gemini program, and then finally the Power Program, culminating with six amazing trips to the lunar surface. When we got to sit and watch that live on television, it was just one of the greatest times to be alive. Ever, of course we didn't know how much danger those guys were in every second they were up there, because that wasn't really pushed out to the public very much. As I look back on it now, and I think I told you last time I was on the show. I'm finishing book right now, a biography of Jerry Griffin, who's the last of the poll of flight directors that hasn't put out a biography as far as I know. And we marvel at the fact that it worked because that was basically nineteen fifties technology that had been spruced up into the mid sixties, and that got all those guys back safely. It's just blows my mind. So that's really what kindled my interest, and it just never went away.
Speaker 3: Well, I question to the audience, what does the US Space program mean to you?
Speaker 4: Ladies?
Speaker 3: I'm regarding American exceptionalism, so many stories and Rod Pile, we have a very special guest here we're going to introduce to this audience, and I'm really privilege and honored to be able to give this gentleman and read a little bit of his bio and share with him in the audience his time as an astronaut. Who we're talking about. We're talking about Ed Dwight. Who's Ed Dwight? He enlisted. Captain Ed Dwight enlisted in the US Air Force in nineteen fifty three and was commissioned a lieutenant in nineteen fifty five. In nineteen sixty one, at the direction of President John F. Kennedy, he became the first African American to enter the Air Force training program, from which NASA selected astronauts. Although we completed training at the Aerospace Research Pilot School in nineteen sixty three and advanced to the second round of the program end he was not selected for the Astronaut Corps. Dwight finally traveled into space on Blue Origins NS twenty five mission in twenty twenty four, becoming the oldest person to ever participate in the spaceflight, a record previously held by William Shatner, and in twenty twenty rightfully he became an honorary member of the US Space Force. During a ceremony at the Pentagon with that Captain Ed Dwight, it's a privitly noted to have you on this radio show, which we call The Doctor's Guy. Experience. Hope you're with us, and thank you, my friend, for your passion, for the service that you gave the American people and your spaceflight.
Speaker 4: How are you, Ed, Dwight?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm faring I'm having a few health issues right now. But thank you for all the kind words. Uh and and and even reaching back to even you know, consider talking to uh, you know, talking to me and and and all of the all the things that it seems so long ago that you know that all that all this stuff took place. But uh, obviously I keep up with the States program, and I keep up with all the all the all the current astronauts, and then they come to the flat of Denver to visit me in my studio and uh and so I keep my hand in uh uh and uh. Vitor Glover uh, as you know, just went to the Moon and he's one of my he's one of my proteges by the way, uh and and and and uh yeah, doing his mission, we managed to talk over the phone U on the last mission that he went up and did all that magic stuff that they do up there now. So I'm glad to be on your program. And like I said, I am having a few healthy issues right now?
Speaker 3: Do you want to honor your service and not to keep you too long here. I know this is great for you, but also I want to mention this, and I think the audience needs to know you're an accomplished sculptor. This is interesting. Your passion has always been art, obviously the love of space in the United States Air Force, your services very much honored. He'skew have completed that as a number of public monuments, including the Texas African American History Memorial on the grounds of the Texas State Capitol and among others, the African American History Monument on the grounds of the South Carolina State House. That's an interesting thing. Your passion has always been obviously looking skyward. But tell us about the passion for being an artist and a sculptor. That's an incredible skill, something that I'm not even familiar with. Share with us a little bit about that. It's amazing.
Speaker 6: Well, I this is, you know, a very very change. I had two options to to make a life's work. I grew up on a farm in Kansas City, and I came out of the shoot making art from the time when I was started school, when I was two years old and I started doing art. At that time. I was doing full bodies and when I was two and three and four years old, where the other kids was doing stick figures. And I was an artist all the way through school. As a matter of fact, when I graduated from high school, I got an art scholarship to the Kansity Art Institute. But the other alternative option I had was I grew up on a farm that was right next to the Sabine Airport Fairfax Airport in Kansas City, and from the from the time I was two and three, Mom used to take us to the me and my oldest sisters at the airport to tell stories about how big the world was. And this airport was a great vehicle because these planes took off and went some magic place, and they come back and they land and it'd been to some magic place. And so I started going to the airport every day and I got my first flight and the Steerman. When I was eight years old, I got a job cleaning out airplanes for pilots that are from Kansas and Missouri that went to Colorado for hunting trips. There was no war at the time, so as a results, I was around airplanes all of my early life, and I started studying about flying as and I didn't have any hopes of being a flying root for real, because all these people were around row white guys, uh, you know, and I was this little little little brown kid going to the airport every day, and they kind of adopted me. But I got this fascinated with fascination with flying uh. And I I had a paper run and I was throwing papers all the way through college.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 6: And I was, you know, I had this art scholarship, so I had to make a decision as to whether it was going to be an artist or or a pilot guy. But I was throwing my papers. I had a black paper run and a white paper rout. And I was, like I said, I was in college storm newspapers, and on the front pages of the black paper was a black pilot. Was a tuskegeearmen. They got shot down in Korea, and all of a sudden, I got this, Oh my god, they're letting a black olk fly airplanes. What an immediately apply for pilot training. And they sent me to Denver. Thirty three of us from this cottage to Denver, and I was the only I was the thirty three I was the only one that passed a pilot training. Two other guys pass from a navigator, and so the Air Force just sucked me right up and said, you know we want you now.
Speaker 4: You bet, my friend, you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, in those days, the African Americans were not probably won in the pilot seat much. Your story is amazing. Ed Dwyane, as we've mentioned before, a gentleman who was selected by President John F. Kennedy to be the first African American astronaut in space. The story continues that he finally got his wish and rightfully so, for his service to America by flying in Blue Origins NS twenty five mission in twenty twenty five. As thou build not to put you in a different light here, but this is interesting. The oldest person to ever participate in a space flight, previously held by William Shatner. As long as you're willing to do this, mister Dwight, Captain Dwight, the phone number here one eight four eight nine two two two. If you do have a question for mister Dwight, Captain Dwight, we would welcome that. Now let me do something here, Rod Pile, I'd like you to say hello to Captain Dwight. And you have a question, I'm sure, or even a comment, please continue.
Speaker 5: Sir, Well, it was an honor to meet you, Captain Dwight, and actually we met at the International Space Development Conference a couple of years ago. You were there having a delightful discussion with Carlton Johnson, and I'm one of the co organizers of that, and I think we also both have a friend in common with Dylan Taylor. Yes, yes, yes, who's a wonderful guy.
Speaker 3: And describe those people to us Rod's in case the audience doesn't know who both of you are talking about.
Speaker 5: So Carlton Johnson is the CEO of the National Space Society who signs my paychecks, and he's also a retired colonel from the US Air Force. And I mean, the entire audience was riveted by Captain Dwight's hawk, but I think of all those people, the one that was glowing the most was Carlton because he was meeting a hero of his. Dylan Taylor owns Voyager Space. They're building a space station, and Dylan is a well situated individual financially. He started a nonprofit CaAl Space for Humanity A few years ago. The main purpose of that group is to help people get space flights, and they do a lot of other stuff, but this is one of their big things. So Captain Dwight, I believe they were instrumental getting you onto the Blue orgind flight. Correct.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, among others. The Black Ashton group really all got together. And they're the ones that you know, you know, the lit the fire because they're they're also they would look, this guy was the first one. So and we're up here getting all this glory and stuff and and and he and he just doesn't seem to be getting any glory about space because by the end, I'm this this artist, this run around doing all these all these memorials and stuff. And uh so uh I kind of attribute the the political push to the to the group of black astronauts. It all got together because uh and after their missions they would uh land in Houston getting T thirty eight and come out to my studio and and and uh as a matter of fact, I uh uh a Glover got me on when he was at the space station. Uh he actually uh uh the Kimasudia took pictures and and and and and send my pictures up to the space stage. So people around the world to see me modeling sculptures and stuff.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. You know, that's an incredible story, Rod Pile, amazing as we have you for our two hour journey into the night sky. The question we pose to our audience out there and again far and wide around the world. Captain, and of course Rod knows as well, what does the US space program mean to you folks regarding American exceptionalism. Let's go to the phone lines and see how many people can get in in the short opportunity. With Captain Ed Dwight on Line one, we welcome Frank in the Bronx. Frank, you're on with Rod Bile and Captain Dwight. How are you this morning?
Speaker 8: Hey, dove high, Captain lovely.
Speaker 3: And I can hear you a little bit better, Frank, And if you go just a little bit slower, I think everybody would be able to hear this. Please start again.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 8: So a couple of things. I am in awe with NASA and have space folding. I I am fascinated with a Saturn five rocket, how violent and how how it how it works? You know, and the Space Shuttle forget about it, you know, where it takes the land that space shuttle it comes down with no no engines, and it has to go oide and and a bunch of different it has to circle, make a bunch of different circles and then land. I am fascinated that, and I'm a fascinated with how a space program calculates the so precisely. Or it's just I'm an awe. You know it is crazy.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Frank, you bring up some good points either, gentlemen, if you want to jump in on this. Frank brings up the power of American exceptionalism in the space program. Whoever would like to take that, please continue.
Speaker 5: Oh well, I guess I'll jump in. I I I too him all of this program, and I had a chance to work elbow to elbow with some of those very smart people, mostly at Jeff Propulsion Laboratory. I was not one of them. I was a writer, so I just followed them around and watched what they did, tried to make an understandable for other people. But you know, seeing a team of people spend a half day figuring out what instructions to send a rover on Mars to get within a couple of millimeters of a rock they want to drill, or even more impressively, figuring out the math it takes to shoot something that it's going to go into orbit around Saturn and it's got to hit within this very narrow range of your degrees almost a billion miles away. I mean, I took some higher maths, but that stuff just blows my mind. Doctor Sky, You've gone much further than this than I have. You have a doctorate and you had to do a lot of math to do that, But listening to these folks go what they go through just blows my mind. And then, of course you're your guest mentor your caller mentioned the Saturn five. It was a pretty conservative design, but for the time when they started designing that, when rockets were still had about a fifty percent failure rate. It's just remarkable that just a handful of years later that thing delivered humans out to the Moon over and over and over again without a single fatality or accident.
Speaker 4: So it's amazing.
Speaker 3: With absolutely Frank and the Bronx thank you for participating in the Doctor Sky experience. I'm going to ask this kindly, Captain Dwight, if you'd be willing to stay with us, if you obviously can do this, and certainly I know your passion is there. We'd love to at least have you on air with many people that may want to call. I'm filled with questions, and so is Rod Vile. So as long as that's fine, we appreciate you greatly, my friend.
Speaker 6: Sure, sure, sure, sure.
Speaker 3: No problem.
Speaker 4: You know something.
Speaker 3: We're going to go just to the hard bake here just a couple of minutes, so I probably won't jump in with that particular question just yet. But being the oldest person to go to space, I mean, we remember, and I remember that vividly. I'm sure Rod does. When John Glenn, the then Senator, went in on the American Space Shuttle, I think his age was seventy seven. But in about a minute or so. And this is a really bad question, or it's a good question for a short answer. What's it like to go up there? I mean, even though you were up there for nine minutes, tell us in a more spiritual way, what's it like to go leave the Earth's gravity?
Speaker 6: Well, it was nothing less than fantastic. You know, I had nine thousand dollars of flying time, and I achieved death as a test.
Speaker 5: Father.
Speaker 6: People don't think about the work that I was really doing as a graduate AIRSTACE research pilot, and they had twenty three projects with NASA as well as the Air Force, with all the with all the excuse me, engineering projects and stuff. When I got this opportunity, I wasn't nervous about it, but I had all that background in the experience. I guess I'd been up to about seventy five eighty thousand feet in some of my test projects, so I was kind of I was kind of smug about this whole process, you know.
Speaker 3: You make it sound so simple, my friend.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And we went through training and I'm obviously this old guy. It was interesting all the little miniature tests that we had to go through. I out did all these other six younger folks withal Well Catherin.
Speaker 3: We got to take that break. And I hate to cut anybody with any level of experience here short, but we try to treat everybody the same here, and that is what the heartbreak is if you're just joining us. The doctor Skuy experience privilege and honor to have captain ed Dwayne, a test pilot selected by President John F. Kennedy to be the first African American to enter the astronaut program and space historian and author Rod Pyle with your questions and comments. We see the phone calls coming in one eight hundred, eight four, eight nine.
Speaker 4: Two, two two.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about the new space capitalism and the entrepreneurial path to the stars with you and our great guests.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky Experience entertaining and informative on the Red Apple Podcast Network. This is the Doctor Sky Experience. Always look to the sky seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 1: Now Here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 10: Blake travels billions of years just so we can watch a star say goodbye. But in this darkness, every end is just the beginning of something beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thirty two minutes after the hour, privileging honored to have on the line two very special guests, author and space historian Rod Pyle, and also very much honored to have retired United States Air Force camptain Ed Dwight. His story is most amazing. In nineteen sixty one, at the direction of President John F. Kennedy, he became the first African American to enter the Air Force training program from which NASA selected its astronauts, and often and not to be overly repeated, becoming the oldest person to ever participate in a spaceflight, a record previously held by William Shatner in a launch and Blue Origins NS twenty five mission in twenty twenty four. Gentlemen, thank you for being with us. Let's continue with the phone calls. They rule here in the theater of the mind. Line number three, we go to Joan in New York City. Good morning, John, how are you well?
Speaker 11: Good morning, doctor Sky. I had a couple of questions for you. I heard on NPR that there's going to be a partial solar eclipse on August twelfth, and much bigger, not quite total, but a lunary eclipse on August twenty seventh or twenty eight. So what can you tell us? Where are the best places on Earth to view these where you would get the largest eclipse. And they said something intriguing which I didn't quite understand. Maybe you understand what they meant. They said that a lunary eclipse always follows a solar eclipse, and I don't know what that means eventually.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, thank you.
Speaker 3: Vice versa. But let me start off briefly. This is what's happening August twelfth, coming up right around the corner, there'll be a total solar eclipse for lucky people in Europe, particularly Spain, and we here in the New York area or the East Coast virtually have no ability to see any partiality of this, but the big one. Not to take time from our great guests here, but the subject is in accordance with what we're talking about space science astronomy. August two, twenty twenty seven. If you're in an area called luxor Egypt, you'll get to see the longest total solar eclipse of all. But what happens there is a symbiosis or a connection. When there is a total eclipse of the Sun or partial, you usually get one that happens some fourteen days later due to the alignment of the planetary system. So we appreciate Joan. Do you have a question though, regarding what we're talking about with.
Speaker 11: Ed and also with oh, just congratulations to that man, the oldest man in space. I can't imagine having the freedom, the courage, your duty to go up in space. And I'm a little younger than you and not a lot, so congratulations to you. And also being forst African market in the program. I think that's fabulous. So I thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, and I hope I answered you. Let's continue on line. The time is limited. Line one, Greg and Michigan calls in again. Good morning, Greg, you're on with two very interesting guests.
Speaker 4: I'm sure.
Speaker 12: Good morning everybody, mister positive boomshaka laca. I've got to ask you guys the question of the universe is it infinite? And if it is made by God? Can it be infinite?
Speaker 4: Very interesting?
Speaker 3: I don't know Rod, you want to jump on that one because I'm going to try to get ed into more of the space conversation. But go ahead, this is interesting your thoughts on this that Greg brings.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't touch that with a ten light year long call, you know how about religious persons, So I'm probably not the right gut.
Speaker 3: Well, captain, please jump in. I mean it's your time on stage on the in the Theater of the Mind. Go ahead.
Speaker 6: No, no, I couldn't answer that question, but you know I could answer the question you asked. What it was my experience on the on the recent on my recent flight. Yeah, you know at launch? When when?
Speaker 5: When?
Speaker 7: When?
Speaker 6: When the booster lit? I we're seventy feet in here in this in this capsule and boost. When the booster lit, I thought, the damn thing blew. I thought the whole ship blew up. And I said to myself, well, I'm going to become a crashing to the ground any minute now. And I've lived a good life. I'm paying this to myself. And next thing, you all, this thing so's lifting up into the sky. And I said, oh, I said, oh, this is how it works.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. So when you get to the top, when you get to the apogee, I mean you go up about what about fifty some miles or that line in space is probably fifty sixty miles right right.
Speaker 6: And so I am sitting on top of the explosive bolt is right below my butt, and they exposive both to separate booster from the capsule exploded. And so I said, well, they didn't get me the first time, they got me this time. And the next thing you know this, this booster starts moving away from the capsule. And I was sitting there absolutely amazed, and I got a chance to look down at the Earth, and I looked at this wonderful little I had seen the curvature of the Earth. Obviously, as I test about it, but seeing the Earth from from that distance. So you got this wonderful, neat, little well ordered ball down there, this spectacular in view. Everything is organized and beautiful and it's just incredible, and there's no boundaries between countries and states and all this sort of thing, you know, And I got I got an incredibly spiritual uh moment at that point in time, and I just could not imagine. Why, why these people on that little ball down there, I can't get along with each other?
Speaker 3: And I wow, that's an amazing statement, my friend, You're so correct. I mean, eight eight point seven billion people, Roden, that's amazing. Why don't have to have wars? Why can't we just be like you said, why can't we all just good?
Speaker 12: One?
Speaker 6: And I came to the conclusion that every elected official needs at least three orbits around this earth, and all the bys well, it won't stop, but it will certainly slow down, you know, trying to kill each other and do all these incredibly bad things to each other. Just it was my it was worth all all that whole life that I've lived just that few seconds of looking at the Earth and from that distance, and it just it was ever a movie and you already changed a lot of my values and things about what deserves and everything is all about.
Speaker 3: Actually, absolutely right, Captain again, thanking you for your service and all the people in all the branches, men and women of course, dedication to America. I'm going to ask you this quick question. We'll go back to the callers and we'll get a Rod involved in.
Speaker 6: Sure.
Speaker 3: He has a number of questions too, Nuteen sixty one, Chuck Yeger and General Curtis LeMay or what instrumental in moving forward your ability to become the first African American American astronaut in the training program? Talk about that because I've had Chuck Yeager here before he passed, and he was a tough cookie to interview. Boy, I'll tell you I didn't get a lot of words out of him. All he ever said to me was yep, nope, I wanted to get more. But is that true? These guys were involved in you were moving up the line.
Speaker 6: No, these guys were the guys that stopped. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: Wow, I had it all wrong.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yegger was livid that that president didn't make him the first astronaut or put him on that astronaut team. He was very bitter about that.
Speaker 4: Wow, I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And the fact that he was that the President would choose the black candidate. The steam came out of this guy's ears. And practically coming down to test Bile the school, he had a meeting with with the new students and the instructor staff. Uh and and he told these guys that, uh, the President is trying to use him the end where he's trying to cram an inward don our throats and if we allow this guy to do this, the president is going to take the whole uh make the whole space program black.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sorry to hear that, but truth is the best thing of all, Captain, because let me say this now, I now I have to consider myself an apology to the audience. You can't always believe everything you read here. So that's what I was reading. And again I'm dead wrong on that. Sorry to hear that.
Speaker 6: Well, all through Testbout the school, he called me into his office every week and told me, to my faith that I was not worthy. I shouldn't have been there, and the President's going to kill me. And it just went on through my whole training and he was running around talking about how how inadequate I was out of my test pot of class. There was seventeen in the class, and I graduated seventh out of that seventeen, and I erupted in these states at the end, at the end of the thing, as it was, there were ten There were ten white guys that were below me, and it was your rating system that did this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry to hear that.
Speaker 3: God blessed because nowadays everybody, not because of the race, color, or creed, they should be given what obviously equal opportunity, men and women to aspire based on their credibility, their score, and their ability to do the job, which is a tough one. I'm sure, Ron, I'm sure you have a quick comment or too, because the quick comment it almost sets us up to the next break here in about a minute and a half.
Speaker 13: Please continue, I do so.
Speaker 5: Captain Dwight. I have a question. I mean, you were a pioneering flight test, you were a potential astronaut candidate. No thanks to those guys, but why do you think it took another twenty two years to get a person of color in space in the American space program?
Speaker 4: Great question?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, okay, That is a great question, because all through my training, I the president brought me to Washington every weekend to meet with the senator. This was a big political move. I met with almost all the Senators, trying to get political with the presidents, trying to get political support. I only met with a House leadership because of four than thirty five members of that so I couldn't meet with all those guys as a political move to move this whole black astronaut or Blacks in space idea along. And from the time I got every one of the senators that I spoke to and how this twenty year think. Every single one of them wished me well, good luck, but you know you're twenty years too soon. Every single seven I talked to and it was this twenty year thing. And then Lewis and Clark were the last great pioneers. So this whole thing. America was one hundred percent against this whole thing, and it was just too soon, and there was no way that they were going to allow black to be involved in these already astronauts selections. So they had to move the thing back so that space was well exploited. And then you bring the Black's and the women in and I faced that the whole time I was in the program.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, we have to take that break again. Apologies for cutting anybody short, but we do have a ton of callers that would like to get in on the conversation. We'll be right back here on the Doctor Sky Experience. If you've called in, we'll do our very best to get you on with your questions and comments in the Theater of the Mind on the Doctor Sky Experience.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky Experience entertaining and informative on the Red Apple Podcast Network. This is the Doctor Sky Experience. Always look to the Sky. Seventy seven WABC. Now here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 14: Listen. Captain Jim Lovell, an old astronaut that's made four very significant flights. Hopefully that the people listen in, especially the young people, will get a good education kind of follow me in space, and it was a pleasure to be on the Doctor Sky's show. Let's call it You.
Speaker 3: Forty seven minutes after the hour, we continue with the callers our two very special guests, author and space historian Rod Pile and Ed Dwight, retired the United States Air Force. Captain Ed Dwight, one of the original astronauts, the African American astronauts to be put into the space program, and also the oldest person to participate in the spaceflight, beating out the age of William Shanner. Let's continue online Number three. Welcome Dominic in New Jersey. You're on with our great guests.
Speaker 15: How are you, hello, Doctor Scott. All your guests are amazing as always of you keep me up late at night being that you do have.
Speaker 13: All those great, great guests, so well, thank you.
Speaker 15: I do want to ask Captain Dwighte again, this is Dominic and it's really an honor to speak to you. I was reading a bit about you and I see how long you trained for space flight back in the sixties. But you know you finally flew ad ninety was was the new Shepherd spacescraft. Spacecraft like a more forgiving ride than what you trained for back then, like with the g forces and like the vibration and physical stress of the launch. And at any point did you think, wow, I'm like ninety years old and I'm actually doing this, or like thought twice about growing up? Thank you for answering my questions.
Speaker 3: Wow, Captain the human side of this, this is cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember flew, you know, in the newspapers. So I can't I can't answer, you know, I can't answer that question on the Can you give me the second question again?
Speaker 3: I guess Domina, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: We had too many things that we can try to get through in a short time. What was the second yes.
Speaker 4: Go ahead?
Speaker 12: Yeah? No.
Speaker 15: So my my question is when you flew up the UH with the flue origin, right, was that spacecraft a little bit more forgiving Bride than what you trained for back when you were a young man, like especially the g's forces or the vibration and things like that, being that it was newer technology, right, So I was just wondering what your thoughts were with like the advancement of what we have now versus den. I mean, I know it any easier, but.
Speaker 3: He never flew the first time, right, he never flew the first time? But ye, your experiences? How was the G force on what you flew on?
Speaker 15: I guess it was training the training that he had.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, Now the G forces in in the in the spaceshifts, it is really negligible. I mean, you know, I pulled up up to ten twelve z's when I was flight testing, So that's a totally different matters that the d forces in these space in these spacecraft doesn't come anywhere near you know, those kinds of de forces. They that we experienced as hard as hard nosed fighter pilots where we're doing flight testing and stuff. So there's really no comparison. The it's just not a factor. I'll just put it to you that way.
Speaker 3: I'm just said, thank you, Dominicing, New Jersey, appreciate you and your commentary. I got to ask you this, captain, the type of airplace you say, test pilot, What are some of the aircraft that you flew, because I'm sure many people out there may or may not have the vast experience in aviation, describe some of them that you flew. I'm amazed to hear this.
Speaker 6: I ended up flying twenty five different airplanes, from from the small planes up to a flu B fifty two's and then flight testing you know one thirty five, which was the largest planes. I mean, you know, flying a B fifty two is like driving around in an apartment building.
Speaker 3: The pictures I've seen them, and they're called as you know, sir, there's an acronym we won't use the real description, but it's the b U f F the buff and I don't describe it because it uses some letters together bad words that we don't say on the radio.
Speaker 6: But yeah, yeah, I ended up flying all the fighters, all one hundred series fighters, and they've been in earlier and some of the World War Two fighters I flew, and so it's just hard to, you know, to evaluate that whole range. Most potts going in the military and they fly one airplane their whole career, you know, variation of the same airplane their entire twenty thirty year career. And I was really lucky, and it was really really unusual, and I was in these various and sundry situations where I was on the base and I was some of them was out of sheer curiosity because I wanted to build up my flying time, so I went volunteered to fly other airplanes other than you know, you know, my main airplanes. So that's how I ended up flying twenty five different airplanes from light airplanes up up to be fifty two's and which was really fascinating, fascinating flying career. And I was able to see how the different airplanes interacted and like the Airpore four. Everybody talks about that. There's the worst airplane in the world. It flies straight.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, the manned missile, Lockheed's man missile.
Speaker 6: You're right right, twice the speed of some but don't try to turn it.
Speaker 4: Captain.
Speaker 3: I got one more thing and I want to get right in before the hour ends. And again my thank you, honoring your service in the military and what you've done and what you continue to do here. It's just an amazing, amazing story.
Speaker 4: You know, I was.
Speaker 3: Close with many of the two Skegee Airman here in Arizona. I don't know if you ever knew the gentleman Bob Ashby. Boh, my god, me, Hey, my friend Bob and I. Hey, what we did. Look the audience we're going to go. I wish we had fifty hours with you, but here it is real quick.
Speaker 4: What we did.
Speaker 3: We hooked it with the company and the Philippines that made these incredible models. So as an honor to the Tuskegee Airman, the Redtail pilots, as you know, we did one for Bob Ashby. But sadly, Bob, like yourself, tells us the story of horrible discrimination because he was a command pilot on a major airline. I won't mention it. He barely got into that seat in the command seat because of the horrible discrimination. So that's a grizing story, you bet Rod Pile. Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Bob and I were really really close by the way.
Speaker 4: Okay, we got something, go ahead.
Speaker 5: I guess it just may not be the most appropriate his face question. But you know the called the F one O for the widow Maker. Was there a good reason for that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, because if you didn't know, if you weren't on it every minute with that airplane, I mean it.
Speaker 5: Could, it could and would kill you.
Speaker 6: Uh. And and they were using it for for loyal over d landings and preparation for the Space Shuttle uh and test by the school. They were using the F one of four. We'd go thirty feet and shift the engine off and landing.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 6: They air plenty three hundred miles an hour, and everybody, everybody in the in the test arena in there that got killed. Several guys got killed. Out of my classmates, seventeen of us graduated, and within three years on the eight of us were left.
Speaker 5: Amazing.
Speaker 3: You know, I got one closing thing to mention here that four. I don't know, Captain, if you were familiar with General Steve Ritchie, the Air Force ACE in Vietnam. He and I were friends and he sent me down. We went to visit in Florida. They had a detachment of f on O four's called Starfighters, And at one time he said to me, how about a ride in the back seat? And I said to him, in my very simple way, hell no getting me in a back seat, But what a beautiful looking airplane?
Speaker 6: But yeah, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, no, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: But what I want to mention this is most important. Your website. I want to mention ed Dwight dwighd dot com. You can learn so much more, ladies and gentlemen, about his artistic side, the artistic side of this American hero, as I like to call you, and again, sir, thank you for your service to the United States and again made discrimination never be the path in this country ever. Again. It should be based on our character, our abilities, and that simply should be why it should be. And we could add in another thing, talking about truth and justice. That's the thing we need. Rod Byle, You're going to continue with me in hour number two. But Edwin, I just want to say one thing, thank you so much. If you have a closing comment, you have the floor, and folks, if we haven't gotten to you, we'll definitely continue in hour number two one, eight, four, eight, nine to two too, Captain Dwight, your fustom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I really really really appreciate this. You know, you you know you go through life and you you you know I don't. I don't consider myself. The people give me credit for a whole bunch of self and I and all I'm doing is what I consider to be the right thing. I had a lot of training to do things right, and I spend a lot of time. Everything I've ever done, I've spent an incredible amount of time doing the homework associated with it so I can succeed. And that there were four that have been forced that have have allowed me not to succeed, as well as a plan to. But I ended up getting over the hump when I became a sculptor. I've done one hundred and thirty three Lords memorials in thirty seven states.
Speaker 4: Beautiful.
Speaker 6: I'm in busy, staying busy, and I didn't tell you this but right now I'm legally blind.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: I'm still working and continue. You'll never give up. And that's the way to have it, folks. No matter what affliction we have, we have to overcome it. You better believe.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, I'm writing three books and that's why I got to stay living to get these three books finished.
Speaker 3: Well, God bless you, and I hope you have a good morning.
Speaker 4: Sir.
Speaker 3: Let's talk again at your convenience. And I also want to tell the audience that's something very special that you have in your honor. You have an asteroid known as asteroid nine two seventy nine, asteroid Dwight. You got a piece of rock out there out in the universe, rightfully deserved, Captain. God bless you, and thank you for your service to America.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank all of you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Okay, bye, blessing Well, ladies and gentlemen. We continue on the other side with Rod Pile. We have so much to cover in the area of space updates. What about the asteroidal bodies that are out there we know, what about the missions to the asteroidal bodies and so many other things. What happened to the SpaceX booster. But most important, right Rod in the theater of the mind, people can join in the conversation. If you have been on hold, we apologize with the popularity of the guests. Stay on the line and we'll continue to do this. A quick space and astronomy update from my side. Don't forget. We find the big Percied meteor shower once again reigning forth. If you have clear skies, this is the week to look. No moon is in the sky as of August the twelfth, one of total solar eclips occurs on the other side of the world, giving good conditions to look in the northeast on the evenings of August the twelfth into the thirteenth to the thirteenth into the fourteenth early morning look in the midnight sky right after midnight in the northeast. You beget to see some of the amazing sights of nature. More on the Doctor Sky Experience when we return with our number two and thanks to our helmsman Bill and Jackson making sure you're heard five by five.
Speaker 2: Sky Experience entertaining and informative on the Red Apple podcast Network. Always look to the sky. The Doctor Sky Experience is on the air seventy seven WABC now Here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you sharing parts of your weekend with us. Here from the powerhouse blowtorch signal that commonly called WABC Talk Radio seventy seven broadcasting proudly from the center of the universe ware New York City to the nation the world, we welcome you to the Doctor Sky experience. If you're a first time listener, welcome also, and if you're a regular listener, we thank you for the great comments. My email is simply drskyt WABC radio dot com and you can of course send me your comments and maybe some of the guest suggestions that we've had from people who've sent us emails, we've made them into a reality such situation not promising that everyone happens, but we do appreciate you being part of what we call the theater of the Mind, where we'd love to talk in critical thinking in a form of dialogue. One eight hundred eight four eight nine two two two And again, why not download the WABC app You can learn so much more about the many other rooms in this radio mansion is a broadcast mansion, an epic and radio broadcasting well over one hundred years and everybody around the world is now learning much more about this great legacy. I want to thank our helmsman, both Bill and Jackson for navigating these phone calls, because you, ladies and gentlemen are important to the theater of the mind. I want to thank our very special guests an hour one retired to United States Air Force, Captain ed D. White his mission of course the oldest human right now to go into space, and also his service to the United States of America. Is one of the very first African American to get into the astronaut training program a long time ago when discrimination ran rampant. Something that's horrible. Who knows he might have been the first man on the moon. Rod Pyle continues to join us. He's the editor in chief of ad Astro Magazine, a print digital quarterly published by the National Space Society. He's authored many books and his website Pile p y l e Books dot com. Rod, thanks for being with us and extending this experience on the doctor's got experience.
Speaker 5: Well, hey, what a tough act to follow.
Speaker 3: Huh Hey, I tell you that's an amazing guy. Because let me say something, it's amazing. We knew a lot of people that you know, both Bob Ashby, one of the Tuskegee airman, and our good friend. I don't know if he's still active, but the retired Unite says air Force general. That was the ACE General Steve Ritchie. He was the one who developed these F one o fours down at the Kennedy Space Center. They were called Starfighters. And I don't want to be repetitive, but I wasn't going to get in the back seat.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: People say I'm a big baby, but you know what, Rod. Before we begin, let's in due respect to the callers out there, let's go to line number two. LEXI, you've been very patient. If you're with us, how are you this morning your.
Speaker 9: Commentary, Yes, good morning, gentlemen.
Speaker 5: It's a pleasure to speak to both of you.
Speaker 9: My impression is with the space program, especially here in the United States, it is predominated by government influence. The government, no doubt has military ambitions which they want to perfect and create. So that is part of the driving impetus to supply money to NASA and his space program. But interesting, you have about what twelve different countries that have the capability to put amend and perhaps some colony some structures on the moon. And I think that would be the wisest thing to pursue over the next decade or so, because because you know why, because if you have all these colonies, you have Russia, in India, England, the United States, so it's all on the moon. Number one, it builds an international rapport between the occupants of the stations. They're all in the same place at the same time, so to speak, and they are free from the petty influences and demands of the dictators such as Putin and g so they can act more independently, and it might be a good basis for developing a high degree of international friendship and working together.
Speaker 5: Are scaring you have not seen before?
Speaker 3: Sounds positive? A Lookxy, I appreciate that. But Rod, you're more the space expert on the subject of the international space cooperation. And yeah, well, maybe we don't hear enough about the international efforts of what people are doing around the world.
Speaker 5: Well, gosh, how many more hours do we have? So I generally agree. Although the US in terms of military spending on space actually fell far behind in relative terms relative their economies, both Russia and China for a number of years, and we only recently started spending more or what some people think we should be spending because primarily of the Chinese, it was perceived as a Chinese threat. But in terms of humans on the Moon and elsewhere in space, you know, the International Space Station has really been a beacon of cooperation, as I think you were alluding to, I SI, especially with the United States and Russia. So regardless of our problems on the ground, whether it be crimea, Ukraine, whatever, the cruise up there continued to get along. Now they can always, you know, if they get a little grumpy, they can always retreat to the Russian side of the America side and close the hatch. You know, they two have two different habitats, but they have been getting along remarkably well. And the mission controls on the ground, which we often don't think too much about, have been continuing to work together very well. There are still visits back and forth Americans to Star City and Russia and vice versa for training and cooperation. So it's just the governments that are having the trouble getting along, But I think there is hope. And the other thing I'd add is a lot of people who study this stuff feel that the Antarctic model is a very good one, where you have a number of international settlements around the perimeter of the Antarctic continent, with this US base at the South Pole, and they collect there to do research and work together, and then when their project is done or when they want to take a break, they go back to their own group of people and can observe their own customs and eat their own food and speak their own language and so forth. And a lot of people think, what's really forged that besides just the idea of international cooperations, the fact that if you're going to survive down there or on the Moon, you better get along because you're going to need each other at some point.
Speaker 4: It's a good test. Bet. I agree with you entirely. Alexi. Thank you.
Speaker 3: You're always great to bring some insight in positive, positive activity to the Doctor Sky Experience Line number one, Charles in New Jersey. You've been patient. You're on with Rod Pinell. How are you this morning? Do we have Charles well going once twice three times and if you can call back. The contact number here was always one eight hundred eight four eight nine to two two. I have a plethora of topics that I'd like to have your opinion on the other night, as many people were told in legacy media. And I got a little bit of a problem when I say this, because the way it was reported. I don't know if you would agree with this. Rod, many people heard about a SpaceX booster rocket hitting the moon, but they never in my opinion, maybe I'm splitting hairs. Tell me I should calm down if you want to, or maybe not. That it seemed to be in so many of these reports.
Speaker 4: Is if it was.
Speaker 3: Something that people could look up into the sky and say it is a gigantic beacon or big blue, big plume of material around the moon. Tell us what really happened? If you have any updates on this. I was out with the tele scope three hundred power in a monsoonish partly cloudy sky. The left limb of the moon was visible.
Speaker 4: I waited.
Speaker 3: I watched other YouTube feeds with other telescopes. I saw nothing. Rod Poll tell us.
Speaker 5: More well, and you knew where to look right exactly so the media portrayed this is depending which venue you were looking at. Oh, the sky is falling at the end of human civilizations, we know it, or at least the other one that of course gets me is oh my god, we're trashing the moon. Now. Look, humans have been throwing crap at the Moon since nineteen fifty nine. The first America, the first human thing to hit the Moon was Luna to which is basically a metal sphere filled with little medallions with the flag of the Soviet Union on it. It could claim lunar property before we had a treaty, so that spread all over the place, probably vape rize, but some of them have survived. Since then. We've had four upper stages some Saturn, five rockets impact for seismic studies, four lunar module ascent stages. The decent stages were left there as a launch platform, but the asset stages were crashed back in the surface. Russia's crashed a total of thirteen probes of one kind or another, and America seventeen. Largely the rangers, if you recall which were sent. They were suicide missions. You know, they just took pictures as they got closer and closer and closer and then impacted the lunar surface and that's how they got the extreme close ups. So that's nothing new. But you know, most of this stuff stays crafted very light. They have to be to be launched and flown in space to get their mass is critical, so when they hit the surface, they either vaporize or at least fragment into tiny metal bits. And the Moon's a big place. So what really has done a number on the Moon was the Great bombardment way back billions of years ago, which is why when you look at the backside, and need to tell you this, you know, you look at the backside the Moon and it looks completely devastated compared to the near side because it was catching all the incoming flak and protecting the Earth to some extent. That really made the Moon into a lousy neighborhood. So, you know, compared to that, we've done very little as far as seeing it goes as you pointed out as the upper west limb. And I guess one telescope in Spain did upload a video that I saw that showed a tiny bit of ejecta material. It's a few frames worth. Yeah, And you know, a rocket is an eighty eight hundred stage eighty eight hundred pounds upper stage of a SpaceX rocket which gradually got there because it had dropped off a couple of probes that tried to land on the moon. But compared to the kind of impacts you can see flashes from which are you know, tens or hundreds of tons of these rocks smacked me into the moon. Yeah, I'm not surprised we didn't see much.
Speaker 3: No, it's incredible because if you go back in the annals of history and not the you know, continue on this theme, because there's many other topics. According Canterbury monks around the year I think it was eleven seventy eight a d. They wrote in their rather prosaic way back then, not like you're seeing and I are speaking here. They wrote in a different way, even though it was English. We think they noticed something on the left edge of the moon that looked like it was a big plume of fire coming out. They describe it as if the head of the large dragon. Now, that may very well have happened, now if the media got it right. Not everybody in the media, okay, But the exaggeration that I hear because a lot of people don't do the homework about this, and they're just talking about it because they don't have the experience that you would have as a writer. So it's very interesting whatever might have happened in the past. Could you imagine one of the giant lunar craters at the south, the crater Tycho, sixty miles in diameter. As people may not know, but if you do look at the Moon through a telescope or just go out and google a picture, you'll see what looks like these big long lines coming out of that. Now, I'm pretty confident that that would been seen from the Earth way back when.
Speaker 4: But that was millions of years ago. Well there you go.
Speaker 5: Or if as we had been planning in the nineteen fifties, both the US and Soviet Union were planning to detonate nuclear warheads up there as a show of power. Unfortunately, we finally decided not to because aar rockets kept blowing up and b As it turned out, the Russians would have actually delivered a much larger warhead with a larger flash and a larger ejective plume, So we decided it wasn't worth going toe to toe with them. But that would have been a show.
Speaker 3: I would have nuke the Moon is not a great thing, but let's continue. We have so many people that want to join in the conversation here. Let's say good morning too, Carl on line number one. Karl, good morning, you're on with Rod Pile.
Speaker 13: Hello, gentlemen, I had the opportunity to be able to interview Chuck Yeger before he broke the sound barrier. And although you did go into space, of course, that was a major achievement at that time. And in an interview he said that he had broken his arm before he made the flight and the bell X one to break the sound barrier.
Speaker 5: Yes, I heard what he did.
Speaker 13: He said is he said the day before he went to the rocket plane and he had to rig the cockpit so he could gain entry into the cockpit the next day to fly it with one arm because ordinarily to require two arms to open up the cockpit.
Speaker 3: Interesting, you're right, you know another factoid, Carl, about that flight. And I actually had a chance to interview this gentleman. Maybe you knew them, and maybe of course Rod knew him, and maybe listeners, General Cardenas who is he? He was the pilot on the B twenty nine when Chuck Yeker flew the you know, the experimental rocket plane, the X one. But it's interesting another side story. Very quickly because we've got a lot of callers. General Cardenas was asked. He was one of the first pilots in the flying wing accessor to what we call the B two stealth bomber. He was asked by President Truman, and he said it in a rather way that I can't express it here with the language that the President used. He said, get that flying wing to do a flight over Pennsylvania Avenue. So he did, and General Cardenas, God rest his soul. He flew it over the Capitol and down Pennsylvania Avenue. But on the way home, here's the end story. He had some engine trouble and he had a land somewhere in New Mexico. Imagine this rod on a dirt road or something, and a couple of farmers came out with shotguns because they never saw an airplane that looked like a wing. Where's the rest of the plane. And he was in a silver suit. So there was a story of an alleged UFO. But it was General Cardenas. How about that?
Speaker 13: By the way, is there time? It just meant your one little other, please go ahead.
Speaker 3: That's why we love you in the theater of the mine.
Speaker 13: Go ahead, sir, okay. He was talking about being shot down during the Second World War over France and he landed in the woods in France, and so I asked him how did he escape? He said, well, he said, there ain't no way that any Nazis can catch a West Virginian boy in the woods. That's how she got out of that situation by going over the mountains into Spain and then escaping in that fashion. But find interesting character.
Speaker 3: Yes, and thank you Cole for bringing the to our attention great stories ladies and gentlemen from the great listeners that we have far and wide Garland, New Jersey. I wish you and your family a great morning. Thank you so much. You know, Rod, this is interesting. I want to jump into a topic that I'm sure you have great expertise in, and I'd like your opinion on this. The Wall Street Journal recently had an article entitled from Lunar Landing to Lunar Wrights Law, and the article the op ed is entitled property rights in space. So that seems like a strange subject to many many people. But if you would comment on this, because apparently when we go to the moon, nobody can own it, I guess, so how would we have property rights for things that we set up.
Speaker 4: What would you enlighten the audience.
Speaker 5: On a really good, good conversation, And you're right. You can't own any part of the moon or anything in space, honestly because of the Outer Space Treaty of nineteen sixty seven, which says you can't deploy weapons of mass destruction and you can't own property in space or on the lunar surface. So what can we do well, what's trying to be negotiated? And there was a second treaty that was attempted called the Moon Tree that failed, which was going to be more of a preserve the whole body is the province of mankind sort of thing. That did not pass. So we're still kind of stuck with the Outer Space Treaty of nineteen sixty seven. What people are trying to do, especially in the West, because a lot of the money and effort going into these new lunar ventures is commercial money and investor money along with NASA, is to basically say, look, we don't want to own the ocean. We just want to be able to own the fish when we haul them out of the sea. So in this case, if we get to the Lunar Stoft Pole. If there are substantialized deposits there, water, ice deposits, and we can use those to make fuel and the other things that you can use water once you've broken it down into constituent parts for which makes it much easier to get to the rest of the solar system. We just want to be able to use those elements. Now, that said, there is a lot of conversation in both our side, the Chinese and the Russians about well, but if we strategically land robots in various spots in the south Lunar region, that kind of makes it the facto identified zone of interest. Now, what I don't go them talking about much that I've been writing about and asking people about is that's all find it good. But both we and the Chinese are planning to somewhere in the early twenty thirties land nuclear reactors there as a precursor to power in our base. Once you've got a reactor on the ground, you have a safety exclusion zone. And once you have an exclusion zone, you kind of almost have it to fact a land claim. You're not claiming the land, but you're telling people that you've got this stay out area because you don't want anybody getting hurt.
Speaker 3: So is that analogous or something like if you have a mobile home and you own the mobile home, but you don't own the land underneath it. Something of that order, right, I mean to make it really kind.
Speaker 5: Of like that, To take it a step further, I have a leaky pro paint tank and if you smoke too close to my mobile home, it's going to blow up. So stay over there, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Know this is very interesting. David Online too comes to us in the theater of the Mine. He's in Staten Island. David, you're on the air with Rod Pyle.
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 8: Rod?
Speaker 17: And Doctor Sky usually was the subject of a child who made a wood pie and it took time of a crib and turned it into a ladder, and then in an orphanage made a roadside bomb with toysts and sand and eventually would take red black red checkers that drop them on his toys. And many years later Wall Street have an article regarding to Howard ten year old and make an atomic bomb that was the primary red black red that black was lead to separate two isotopes. What I'm trying to say is the alligator of submarine has to be brought back to life, minernized in the twenty first century and given to the Navy because we're going to need it in the near future. As what I have learned over from you A station by the way, I love it. It's very informative, it's very educational, which is a saying they said in the Navy many years ago during the Second World War, loose slits, saying ships, but I needed help for a long time. I'm going to two.
Speaker 3: Well, blessings to you, my friend, and keep those secrets where they need to be. You're absolutely right, and I think I'm getting out of that route a bit about radiation shielding, but from what he's describing David and Staten Island, obviously spacecraft that's a big issue. I mean quick coming from you, that is something very serious. On long journeys out into space. How do you really protect the crew because I have no idea. What do you keep building heavier and heavier layers of lead as David was talking about with submarines to shield reactions from nuclear what do you do well?
Speaker 5: And in this case, I think we're not talking about shielding the crew for a reactor although we will might have nuclear propulsor we're talking about shielding the space.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you've got spacemic.
Speaker 5: Radiation coming from outright, coming from outside the Solar System, and you've got the radiation coming from the Sun. So I wrote a book about, I guess exactly ten years ago called Blueprint for a Battlestar, which is about great scientific innovations, and one of the things in there was about this topic. They NASA in particular, but through NAYAK, their Advanced Innovation Program and a number of other branches have been working hard on this problem, as have out their international folks. And we're finding lighter and lighter elements of sometimes pretty esoteric combinations of either metal alloys or other kinds of things that composits that do block radiation pretty effectively. The problem is that they're not heavy, they're bulky, and it seems from what I've read, I mean the holy grail of this is active radiation mediation. So if you can have the right kind of electrical field or magnetic field around your ship that can deflect an awful lot of radiation, just don't let your generators go out, or you have a problem if you're there too long, but in a more passive sense. There's been a lot of conversation about using water jackets. Now, water is really heavy, so this is why you want to be able to get it from the moon. Right, you're not launching it off Earth. But once you've got it, you put a water jack randy spacecraft. Water's very good at absorbing, blocking a lot of different kinds of radiation. You can also make it in to breathe the bloxygen. You can make it in a rocket fuel. You can use it to grow algae for food supplies. So there's all kinds of good things that come if you can handle moving the mass of water to surround your shit.
Speaker 3: Right, And when you bring it up, you bring up a good point. That's why if people look at nuclear reactors like these big power station room nuclear reactors, they're obviously the rods are in case what and big pools and puddles of water, big pools, not puddles. And you're right, that mitigates what some of that radiation from escaping in a way that they know the formulas.
Speaker 4: We don't.
Speaker 3: But as long as they keep it safe, don't let the thing drain and have exposed rods, that's not a good situation.
Speaker 5: Right, Never good Jode to have that situation, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, you've written so many books here and I'm looking at this whole list. Wow, it goes along like a big print out here. Talking about the book that you just mentioned before. This is so amazing in twenty sixteen blueprint for a Battlestar Sterling books. Obviously, these books that go back they're still in print that people can get them, or they're hard to find if they're a book collector. On many of these, how actually tell us about that.
Speaker 5: Fortunately for me, although a lot of them are on backlist, we sold enough of them that they're all available used, and I always, you know, unless somebody wants a pristine first edition that they want signed or something, I say, look, just go to Books a million or something. You can find most of them for anywhere from three to twelve dollars, you know, spend retail price unless you really want it brand new. I think eight or ten of them are still in print, and then the rest out of the working on my twenty second now are still available. And then I've got a new one coming out later this year, and one that just came out actually called a Dream Renewed that takes a new look at the work of Gerard O'Neil about orbital space colonies. I was an editor on that book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to get a copy of that one, and wherever we purchase one, it obviously available by your website, which is pile books dot com.
Speaker 5: Well, actually it won't be on there because it's a National Space Society imprint, So it's going to be on the NSS website at NSS dot org and it's going to be on Amazon in about six weeks, I think. So it's nice coming out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, file in the other books, Rodpile Books, it's just pilebooks dot com.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, pilpy either one.
Speaker 5: Actually I grab both domains because you know it wants my name right.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating. Well, we're almost up again at the space time continuing which rules, which is the hard break at the bottom of every hour. So it's what's interesting. We have so many things I'd like to discuss with you, but I want to jump into this, maybe just in a couple of minutes. Maybe we have two all these particular spacecraft that are orbiting the Moon. I'm looking at about seven that are still in lunar orbit, but we can go through after the break. I want to talk about one and in particular for this moment, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter. I'm so proud of that spacecraft. How can you be proud of a spacecraft? Well, it shows us all these different images of you know, pass spacecraft like our Apollo descent modules, the footprints, and that I hope is one way that people might believe well, if they believe the image is real, I do that we did go there. But little LRO does a great job, don't you think.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. It's a spectacular success. And like most of NASA and or JPL spacecraft, has greatly outlived its warranty. Most of these things have a primary mission of anywhere for three months to a year. This one was supposed to work for a year with an extension of two years, and it's coming up on soon.
Speaker 4: It'll be eighteen years amazing.
Speaker 3: As our special guest here, he's our go to guy when it comes to these space subjects. And again you can go to pilebooks dot com or have a good books are sold, and there's a lot of places. We'll be right back eight four, eight nine two to get into the theater of the mind. I'm Steve Kates, Doctor Sky, and the Doctor Sky Experience continues talking with you, not at you, about the great mysteries that lie out in the universe.
Speaker 4: We'll be right now.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky Experience entertaining and informative.
Speaker 1: On the Red Apple podcast Network.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky Experience is on the air seventy seven WABC. Now Here's Doctor Sky.
Speaker 10: Look into the distance where time stands still at the edge of the dark, the light learns to bend. We cross the boundary to disappear, but to discover where the infinite begins.
Speaker 3: We're all part of the space time. Continuing here on talk radio seventy seven WABC, thirty one minutes after the hour, Rod Bile, He's our space historian, an author on great topics every linked to the subject that we're talking about about space. The question we have for the audience, and we continue with it, what does the US Space program mean to you regarding American exceptionalism? Four eight nine two. Let's go to line number one. Dave's been patient in New York. Good morning, How are you doing?
Speaker 13: Hi?
Speaker 4: How you doing? Steve doing good?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm the lesson Glory guy.
Speaker 5: Nerves.
Speaker 7: You know you've talked to me before many times. Yes, yes, not often, but you know anyway, my question is, is there a way or could they develop a way to harvest the radiation, the cosmic rays or whatever in outer space, or if we have a spaceship or you know, a base on the Moon or whatever to harvest the cosmic rays and we use reutilize them as power and also possibly shield whatever craft.
Speaker 3: We have, very interesting question. I never thought about it that way, David. I'm sure Rod will bring us right to the center of the conversation.
Speaker 4: Rod, this is interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you have a stronger physics background than I do, doctor Scott, But I think radiation space radiation is one of those things. It's a little bit like the Martian atmosphere. You know, the Martian atmosphere is thick enough that you have to worry about having heat shields and so forth, but so thin that it really doesn't help you slow down enough to land on the planet without extraordinary measures. And my understanding is space radiation, and please correct me if you think differently, is that it's strong enough to do serious damage to our genetic structure over extended period of time. But otherwise so very very weak that I don't think there's a way to collect enough of it for it to make a difference, at least not the current techno.
Speaker 3: Well, you're so right, and Dave, just to add to this, I'm not the expert on this either. I'm just giving a little bit of opinion here from what I do and read. But you have the different particles in space, cosmic rays would be just ridiculously I think I hate the word impossible to harvest because of the incredible power that they have. That's one part of the radiation that's pretty dominant in space. But if you look at the energy like we know from the Sun, all the proton energy in the form of light and heat, that's something obviously that's another discussion. It's a solar power. But Dave, if you bring up something interesting, I never thought of it that way, because we're trying to talk in this little context how to shield in the spacecraft so that humans don't become you know, cancer victims obviously on long duration space missions. But you want to add something else to the conversation. You bring up some amazing topics for great research.
Speaker 7: That's exactly what I was thinking. But you know if there's a way to channel it and use it for a shield. And also, you know, let me bring up you know, the power of solar wind, and you know the sci fi stuff with the sails powering ships going out and all that. But yeah, I just thought there might be a way to channel it back into a shield.
Speaker 3: That's a very interesting concept because as you go deeper into space, right Rod, the solar wind that Dave is talking about, it's strong. It's like a garden hose. The best analogy we can give everybody listening if they don't know about solar wind, the stream of particles coming out from the Sun. It varies in priorcycle low and high. We know that, but it's like the analogy would be, you take a garden hose, Dave and fire it. You know what. It's tiniest, little focused beam of water. Eventually at the source it's very powerful. But what happens way out So if you're doing missions, both Dave and Rodd that go deeper out into the universe, the dissipation of the solar wind is not going to be as strong as when you left let's say the Earth, So you'd have to go to distant stars and that just confuses the audience more.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, then you're tacking like a sloop at sea. There's this thing I just read about a study that Nayak is doing, which is the NASA Advanced Innovation Concept Study. A university I think it's Texas. A and M just got granted a bunch of money to study a stack solar sales. So rather than one big, huge monolithic thing, you know, kilometers wide, it's a stack of twenty or thirty smaller sales, kind of like some of the Chinese kites you see where they have surface after surface, have to surface strung together so that the effective area is huge, but that it's much easier to fly up and deploy. But you're right, I mean you get you know, you start heading outside of the helio sphere, and I mean there's actually that point that the voyagers across where you leave the effect of the solar wind and now you're outside of that and whatever you're getting is from the great Beyond, I guess, And I don't know what you do at that point. I mean there's been tons of studies about, you know, if we have a huge, powerful laser orbiting Earth and we point that at a at a reflector or some kind of a dish on the spacecraft. Can we push it with that? But when you start looking at the kind of power reserves required, you know, this visionary stuff. But for a guy like me, stuck stuck in old age in the first half of the twenty first century, it seems, Oh, it's going to be hard.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we're both in the same group.
Speaker 4: But here we go.
Speaker 13: We are.
Speaker 4: This is interesting.
Speaker 3: So Dave, thank you for your call in New York, because here's an interesting thing. Maybe it gives Rod inspiration to write a book, but I think, no, not better than you.
Speaker 4: Rod. If Arthur C.
Speaker 3: Clark was still around the great sci fi oh yeah, I'm sure he could take great liberty at turn turning a book out about what you talked about, Dave, about harnessing the power of the energy coming out from the universe. So anyway, that's amazing. Before the break, I wanted to get into the conversation of these spacecraft that are orbiting the Moon. I called it the Lunar Reconnaissance orbiter, which is there. The Indian nation has Chandrayan.
Speaker 4: Two supposedly still in orbit.
Speaker 3: The Koreans have the dan Yuru or dan Uri spacecraft. And then here's an interesting part about this. These are things I don't know, and that's what we ask you. Artemis too apparently put tiny little CubeSats in orbit around the Moon P one and P two. I have no idea if they're still running. They were these tiny little things that maybe look like a suitcase. And the Chinese have two very important relay satellites. So those people are wondering, right Rod, we get signals from the far side of the Moon when we've never done that ourselves. They have these little relay satellite so not to split hairs, the Moon still has a whole lot of these little orbiting objects going around it, and probably many more to come.
Speaker 5: Right, it does. And you mentioned the Chinese satellites, which I found especially compelling. I mean, the thing an Artemis two was, I think just a small experiment. Basic acubesat sizes are recalled, but the Chinese ones, I think are called Magpie one a Magpie two kind of cube. Right, And you know, we had looked at doing an apollo landing on the far side of the Moon with some seriousness. It was never taken forward for one reason. They canceled a bunch of the missions, and for another it's just deemed pretty dangerous. But we knew we'd need relay satellites to do that because obviously radio's line of site and you can't bend it around the backside of the moon because you got this big rock blocking your signal. So the Chinese put these relay stations up so they could land their rover and their spacecraft on the far side of the Moon. As far as I know, they're still active, and you know, they they proved that they are are technological equal at this point by doing that, that was a really big step.
Speaker 3: That is amazing, right. That shocked a lot of people, because you're right, many people who want to see a radio telescope on the far side of the moon. Why simple terms, you would have no spurious radiation, so, in other words, you wouldn't be hearing this radio station. Shame on that, because we'd want to hear it on the far side of the moon, but all radio signals would be what mitigated, so you'd not be able to hear anything. So quiet would be the purpose of setting up a giant radio telescope without radio interference? I heard a crazy story one time. I don't know if you could corroborate it people working in the giant radio telescope. I think it was in Puerto Rico when they were working on that big dish telescope that was in the ground. You've seen it in movies, Garacibo, and when the whole thing collapsed, you know, the antenna. Somebody had said to me, and I thought it was serious that they were actually detecting a signal from something, and it was very, very powerful and it could have been what the first alien signature from outer space. Later they deduced guess what it was. It was somebody downstairs in the cafe near the you know where they're getting the snack bar microwave, right, it was the microwave oven.
Speaker 5: H that's ridiculous, but probably yeah, I know that that is true. And there's been a number of those where they got this what looked like it could have been some kind of a signal from d space. They said, oh my god, it's so exciting. In fact, I think that was one of the explanations that might have been put forth for the Wow signal way back in the sixties. Yeah, the sixties or seventies, remember that was. But yeah, there's so many you know, as you point out spurious causes that you can have for these things, and God bless the scientists to spend all the time tracking down every possible reason that it's not aliens so that we can know whether it's we found something or not, because how exciting is that going to be when it happens.
Speaker 3: U two brings you into the theater of the mind with special guests and ladies and gentlemen. If you have an email, mine is Dr Risk. Why not just going at WABC radio dot com answer all the emails that I do get and some people do rod they send us some guest suggestions. We've had a few in the past doing some research for my side. We appreciate that greatly. Not all of those, of course, happen, but again due to time and circumstance, many many amazing guests coming throughout the month of August. We'll stay tuned with you and hopefully you'll stay tuned with us.
Speaker 4: What's interesting. Before we go to the next.
Speaker 3: Break, the last break of the two hour show, I wanted to give you just kind of wet our appetites on the Artemis Free mission, because again people were thinking, hey, Autemist three, they're supposed to be landing on the south pole of the Moon.
Speaker 5: Not yet.
Speaker 3: What's Artemist three and a quick summation.
Speaker 5: So Artist three, this is the rejiggering of the program that the new administrator, Jerry Isaacman did a few months back, and I think with good reason. Artemis three is specifically an orbit mission, primarily to test the docking and maneuvering capability of the Orion capsule with hopefully both lunar landers. Now we have a contract with SpaceX to convert their Starship into a lunar lander, which they're moving very slowly on to be frank. And we have another contract with Blue originf Bezos's company to their lunar lander called Blue Moon, which is moving, as far as we can tell, more rapidly, and it's smaller and it's just it's purpose designed land on the Moon, whereas Starship is kind of a one size fits all kind of spacecraft that they have to adapt. So the idea with Artemis three is that they'll go into orbit and they will rendezvous and dock with and undock and dock with and undock and maneuver while attached to these two different lander probably mock ups at that point, I don't think either of them will be actually ready as landers, but at least they'll be working engineering models and make sure that they're going to work. And then hopefully a year year and a half later, Artemis four heads off to make a landing with whichever one.
Speaker 3: Of those Landers is ready. That's amazing cross. So it's still a tight competition. We can discuss much more when we come back from the very last brank of a two hour radio show. But I'd like to take the opportunity to thank owner and I heard of John Katzimatitis and from the executive staff Chad Lopez, for giving me the honor of an opportunity of a lifetime to be behind this microphone, sharing with you, ladies and gentlemen, great information as you tell us, and obviously talking more about the great mysteries of the universe, and in case you're a first time listener, the realms of astronomy, space aviation, whether American exceptionalism as we like to call it, a theater of the mind, and that of course seems to real you know, kind of really pound it out, because people tell me that they enjoy this kind of conversation where we let you have an opportunity to express your opinions, and we certainly don't get into the political realm much, and that's on purpose because we have so many things to share and as the good well, that's our good for guests had talked about the oldest gentleman to fly into space simply why can't we all just simply get along more in the Doctor Sky Experience. As we moved toward the conclusion of our number two, with many great guests to come in future iterations. Thank you for your interest. We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky Experience entertaining and informative.
Speaker 1: On the Red Apple Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Doctor Sky Experience is on the air seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 1: Now Here's Doctor Sky one.
Speaker 16: Doctor edgar Mitchell, Apollo fourteen astronaut actor to the Moon in nineteen seventy one, to the promo area on Apollo fourteen with Commander Alan Shepperd who was their commander, Stuart RuSHA who was their command modreal pilot, and I was a lunar modreal pollot in February fifth, nineteen seventy one. And you're listening to the Skyshow.
Speaker 3: Forty nine minutes after the hour, we continue with our special guest, Rod Pile. Still time if you'd like to join in the conversation on eight hundred and eighty four eight nine two two, in the time limited that we do have, I wanted you Rod to take the floor and talk to us about these space missions that are heading out into space, the Psyche Mission, the Europa Clipper, the Juice Mission, and of course this little mission that we're talking about in detail, the Juice Mission, which is called the Jupiter Icy Moons Explore. There's a lot of excitement in unmanned space probes.
Speaker 5: There is, and I just wanted to touch on one other topic real quick before we go into that. You were mentioning the solar eclipse earlier, and I know we're not going to be able to see it from the US, but as a person who did some moderately substantial damage to my eyes when I was a young boy using inexpensive solar filters on a telescope, I would just encourage anybody overseas who's planning to look at it to buy your eclipse glasses not from Amazon, but from a reputable source, either directly from Celestron or lunt Toptics, both of whom are reputable. Yeah, because there's just so much junk out there, and uh, you know, the eyesight's something you can't get back. And if you forget it, damn as you know better than I do. If you damage it during an eclipse, that's pretty much it. Yes, So we don't want to much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, talking about these missions, we have a few minutes left here. I mean, there's a Psyche mission that's heading out there to what may be what a nico ion core of a planet who knows they we'll hear about a quadrillion trillionaire and they have to tow these objects back to that could be a bigger future than anything SpaceX is even thinking about.
Speaker 5: Now. It's funny, you know, and you I'm sure you've read the same stuff I have. There's been a lot of people talking years about the millions and billions are going to make an asteroid. Mining companies have started risen and fallen trying to do that, and notably above them, these space industries raised a lot of money and failed. You know, the asteroids are far away, most of them, they're moving in specific trajectory, so you have to know where they are. You have to know where they're going to be you have to rhn but with them you have to prospect them, make sure they actually have something you want other than just various kinds of carbon and rock, and then you've got to go after it. So Psyche is interesting because it's they call it a metal asteroid. It's certainly very rich in metal. It's located out in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. So we've got a mission headed out there. That's the PI of that is a woman named Lindy Elkins Tanton, who have met a few times. She's really wonderful, the great guest if you ever get her on the show, by the way, And it's supposed to arrive at the asteroid in twenty twenty nine. But that's the thing about all of these missions, you know, you just wish they could go a little faster because they're so exciting.
Speaker 3: New propulsion methods. But rod not to cut your short the stream of consciousness that brings me to this point. Hopefully media will get it right and we'll do our part. Of course, not only here on this powerhouse station, but I'm sure with others, you know, discussing the subject Apomphicus, the asteroid that's skimming very close to the Earth April thirteenth or so of twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 4: Let's help me.
Speaker 3: I don't go into this whole thing that it's going to strike us. We're all doomed. Let's see what the science says about it, don't you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I mean, what's exciting about that? Again, I know you're probably ahead of me on this is that we'll be able to observe it as it goes by, which is not something that happens very often for an asteroid. It is exciting unless somebody goes over and gives it a kick in our direction. It should miss us and it doesn't come around I think till the late twenty thirties.
Speaker 4: Again, right, you're exactly right.
Speaker 3: It has another opportunity to pass, but way off subject for the limited time. But Psyche, you're talking about that mission. Talk about the Europa Clipper. Educate us on this because that's another fascinating concept.
Speaker 5: Yeah, get the year that arise, but that's unroot and that will be an orbiter. It's just got this kind of complex orbital plot around Europa and I think a couple other moons during the course of the mission. I haven't read about it lately. But you know what they want to do. The thing that's so cool about Europa and moons, I can sell this out at Saturn is we think that because we think they have a warm brandy sea below the surface. There's evidence apparently on the surface, as far as we can tell, that these oceans bent out occasionally and then fall back to the surface's ice. And if that ocean is down there, and if it's warm, we think there's a reason to a good chance that there could be life in it. And so if you can scoop up some of this mist as it's coming out and analyze it, you might be able to get some idea of what's going on down there. And that's a very exciting prospect. I did want to dip back to on the asteroid thing for a second. You know this what I was alluding to was this talk about you know, asteroids made out was solid platinum and all that. And I was talking, as I may mentioned the show before, to the billionaire named Steve Gerbertsen who invested heavily in SpaceX and elsewhere. Brilliant guy finished Stanford Engineering in two years instead of the usual four. And we're talking about this and he said, you know, there's just one big problem with this. The second you get a whole bunch of this stuff, the bottom falls out of the market. So if you do find a way to grapple this asteroid and bring it back to Earth and set it down in the outpack of Australia or somewhere like that, which I guess has actually been explored as an idea, no kidding, you know, because who cares? Right, then suddenly platinum is worth a whole lot less and you're kind of back where you started. So I think that's a grossover simplification, but that was his point, and I thought, that's a really good point.
Speaker 3: You know, it's a very good supplying the land with rare earth type elements. That's interesting. Other words, the rush could be good in the beginning. It makes a lot of people want quadrillionaires, but then again, look at this tiny planet. Who is going to actually use this? And then the price changes, Right, it's going to be like on the markets, just like gold and silver, or unless they come up with a whole different market strategy, right.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think rare earth elements might be of interest though, because those we are going to start running out of those at some point, and there's a lot of that in the Solar system, so that may be the big holy grail out there.
Speaker 3: Interesting. So the missions that we're talking about here, ladies and gentlemen, we talk Psyche, the Europa Clipper. Here's one that doesn't get a lot of attention in the short time. We have the Parker Solar Probe, the fastest man made object ever as it scoots near the Sun. This is incredible. I'm surprised the thing hasn't fried. Isn't that a most amazing piece of equipment, the Parker Solar Probe.
Speaker 4: Talk about it.
Speaker 5: It is, and it's in an orbit that it takes it either through the corn and right down towards the photosphere, which is you know, these are some of the hottest places in the Solar System. And you know it's again spacecraft are very fair fairly lightly built. So it's this kind of tubular affair with this this this solar shield that holds out in front of it, so you've got to keep it oriented properly because it's not surrounded by shielding. It's just it's like a night holding up a shield in a joustick tournament. And every time it does this pass near the sun, it manages to survive and come out the other side, and the results have been really amazing. But when you think of you know, you see these temperatures and you think, how did they engineer that? It just it blows my mind over there.
Speaker 3: It is technology, imagination is what it is. But you're talking about an object, folks. This is pretty accurate. Over four hundred thousand miles an hour, I'll repeat it, four hundred thousand miles an hour makes the voyager probe as it's moving out of the deep space thirty five thirty eight thousand miles an hours. You know, that's incredible. And it doesn't burn up into like a big, you know, cinder. That is totally incredible. As we talk about it, rod time is of course run out, always a sad moment as we talk about with you. Pileyl Ebooks dot com is one of the locations. I appreciate you, my friend, and the best of success in all the new endeavors. Let's stay in touch and of course the listeners out there, we want to thank you for being part of the Doctor Sky experience in what we call a theater of the mind, a place where hopefully our goal is to learn something new each time you listen and we talk about these great mysteries from astronomy, space, aviation, weather, celebrity guests many to come, and it's great stories of American exceptionalism. Thank you Rod Pyle. Always a privilegent honor to have you here. And I want to thank our very first guest, retired the United States Air Force, Captain Ed Dwight, on his success of reaching the goal of being an astronaut. Thank you, Rod, appreciate your time.
Speaker 5: Thanks Steve.
Speaker 3: We'll talk more about these subjects, but remind you well will We will remind you that if you look at to the northeast sky, maybe now where it's dark and you can go out of doors, take a look the beginnings and peak soon to come of the Percied meteor shower, one of the better meteor showers of the year. Why because this time the moon will be at its new phase, giving friends on August twelfth, a total solar eclipse, albeit a brief one. People do get excited about that the Perseed's again peaking. If you want to be out there for the peak night the night of August the twelfth into the morning of the thirteenth, the night of the thirteenth, midnight to sunrise on the fourteenth. I've watched it for over forty years. Sometimes it's a dribble, but sometimes it's leader literally a meteor storm. You never can tell with what's going on in the heavens, so meteors rain out of the northeast sky so much more. The email that you can send to me is just Drsky at WABC radio dot com. And folks, what we do now. Stay tuned to talk Radio seventy seven WABC for another sign of midnight as line'll take you to the early morning as we move toward these dog days of summer, the most amazing time of the year. We do like the temperatures sometimes but here in Arizona are high today one and sixteen degrees, but unfortunately.
Speaker 4: The humidity was rather high.
Speaker 3: Thanks to our helmsman Bill and Jackson for making sure that everybody out there has an opportunity to be heard and heard clearly. Thank you, clear skies, good health, exceptional health. Will see you next week with more interesting subject matter on the doctor Sky experience. Where on this powerhouse blowtorch signal, as we like to say, proudly Talk Radio seventy seven w ABC.
Speaker 4: Stay Tune.
Speaker 2: The Doctor Sky experience entertaining and informative
Speaker 1: On the Red Apple podcast network