Speaker 1: You know, typically getting out of out of work, getting off work, leaving the office, leaving whatever, you know, wherever it is you go to work. Maybe it's not an office, maybe it's a you know, I don't know, but getting out of work on a Friday and starting the weekend, I mean, that's what everybody's building up for, right Well, today was a day that we were actually going to be out of here pretty early. I knew the Bats had a game, but I didn't realize they were actually set to start at like fourth.
Speaker 2: We were gonna be done at four thirty. Yeah, because they were having a double header today. Yesterday's game got canceled.
Speaker 1: So they canceled the game today, which means we have a full show and tomorrow for those interested in the schedule. Now they've now canceled both days yesterday and today for the Bats, so tomorrow they're gonna have a double header. But hey, you know, typically I would be like, hey, I was expecting to get out of here early, but now we got to work the full shift. But I'm not complaining because we're gonna have some fun. It's a Friday. I'm happy we were able to make it work yesterday. But it didn't feel like, you know, you got your full you know experience that you typically get with coffee and companies.
Speaker 3: So it feels right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're ready to rock and roll here for these next few hours. Obviously, a lot to get to when it comes to last night's results in the in the first round of the NFL Draft, as well as the the second and third round, which which we'll which we'll have tonight. And you know, I've got a lot to I mean, I don't really know where to start, but we'll certainly get to it, and that'll be a big part of today show. But there's some other things that we'll get into. So make sure you stick around. Take us with you wherever you go. We'll be with you up until six o'clock. Take us with you again wherever you go. Listen live on the out RADIOP also listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. And I don't want to make it like so draft specific, but I kind of feel like the NFL. Let's be real, it's king. I mean, we know it's king. It's not a feel, it's it's it's a fact. The NFL dominates, you know, sports interest more so than any any sport out there, it's not even close. So you know, today I'm thinking, okay, if I go like ninety five percent draft today, is it more so because you know, like I'm just a nerd for the draft and I love this kind of stuff, or is it really like the most talked about thing and I kind of feel like, you know, it's the most talked about things. So but again, we'll try to have some fun with it. We're going to do our own draft today, a couple of them actually, with some different different things we'll be drafting, which I think will have some fun. But yeah, again, stick with us for the next three hours. If you guys want to join us on the show, we will let you know how you can do that. So again, just last night, I'll start with the beginning of the production that is the NFL Draft. Doing it in Green Bay. As we discussed yesterday, it's a really rare it's a really rare market and I hey, even call, I don't even think it's a market it is. I mean, I guess technically the smallest cities technically can still be you know, there're still markets. But when it comes to pro sports towns Green Bay, I mean I believe it is the most rare of any right, Like, there are certain NFL, NBA, MLB teams that you know, you kind of feel like it's odd that they have a branch.
Speaker 3: Ose Oklahoma City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Oklahoma City is a decent sized city.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, maybe I'm selling them.
Speaker 1: Salt Lake City. They don't have any other pro sports team other than the Jazz, But Salt Lake City is a humongous city, you know, So sometimes it's rare because you know it's a one off, right, Like, more often than not, big markets have all the major sports teams. The biggest markets have two, right, Like you've got you know, you've got two LA teams and two New York teams and in the different major sports. So Green Bay, I mean, not only do they not have anything else, Like Green Bay is the most like it's on an island in a world of its own when it comes to just being much different than most pro cities. And the fact that the Draft is there this year, there's kind of a cool element to it. But I totally forgot about the bike thing that like Packers fans ride bikes to the games. Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually yeah, I don't know why the packers. But I know that.
Speaker 1: But again, like it's because it's like a training camp thing. It's like it's okay, I don't get it, Like I know, it's a thing, and maybe there's not really anything to get. It's just something that they've always done, so therefore it's just been a thing forever. But I give Roger Goodell some credit for riding out to open the draft on the bike to kind of, you know, pay homage to the host city that he's in. And I you know, Roger Goodell, he's I mean, he has a pretty thankless job, to be honest with you, Like, there's really no scenario where like he's gonna be you know, he's gonna be viewed as like, yeah, we love the commission man. Like no, like anytime there's something to complain about with the NFL, everybody blames him. And like the NFL is super popular and I'm not sure how much of that is his doing, but like there's never any acknowledgment for anything that he might do that's good. It's just that you know, if something's wrong or so, you know, it's a thankless job and he's had it for many, many years and obviously he's not been perfect at it. Nobody's perfect at anything, but I kind of feel like in recent years he's he's sort of kind of you know, he's he's been able to lean in it a little bit, like the fact that they boo him and he like embraces it. And I remember when it was and maybe it wasn't something he was doing for the first time, but I remember watching years ago, probably right after COVID. Maybe maybe it was one of the first drafts that they had when they you know, they didn't do it in his basement like they did in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 1: And as he's getting booed, he's like, come on, like, y'all can do better than that, like booming louder, like the all are weak, and I'm like, okay' he's you know, that's kind of funny. You know, the bar is low because I don't think he's ever really shown much personality or much you know, you know, he doesn't have much of a sense of humor, but he's starting to kind of become a little bit more comfortable in his own skin. I saw him on with McAfee earlier today, and you know, he was he was pretty he was charismatic and he was you know, rather likable, but he didn't feel like a force. Like if you'd have told me that he was on with McAfee, I feel like he would have been trying to be like he would have overdone it as far as trying to be cool. But anyways, back to him riding the bike like it was so awkward, and I know Matt said this, I see it. Matt said this earlier on KSR and he's absolutely right. And I thought the same thing. It is hard to ride a bike slow because you got it, Like it's it's the ultimate balancing thing. You got to keep momentum. Yeah, well yeah, because you got to keep your balance. If you're not moving very fast, you just fall Yeah, you got it. I mean it's it's a constant kind of back and forth because the slower you go and you're not balancing yourself, just gonna fall over. So he didn't have a whole lot of of runway. And it was a big it was a big, old bike like that they you know, reminded me of the bike you saw uh in the Wizard of Oz. I mean that's it didn't look like any kind of a sporty bike or anything like that, and so he's he's kind of teetering, and you know, it was fine, but it was just it really stood out as like that doesn't look smooth, Like if you're going to ride a bike out to get the NFL draft started, you know, you you first of all, you don't want to wreck, and he didn't do that, but like, did he have a practice lap or something, because it just looked painfully awkward because again, he was he didn't have much space to go anywhere there, he was moving really really slow. You know, I don't want to build it up as if you missed out on him looking like a complete clown, but it just felt really awkward and forced. But then again, you know he's I think he's he's gotten more comfortable in his own skin and kind of embraced the fact that you know, he's the commissioner. People are going to boo him. He's never gonna get any credit, but you know, he's the commission of the NFL, and with that, he's the guy that's going to be shaking the hands and these players when they're drafted. So like, don the bike look big, like it looks like a bike from the Wizard of Us. That's what it reminds me.
Speaker 2: It might look normal, but it's like decked out, maybe like all the decorations on it, just like I don't know, maybe deceives your eye or maybe he's a really small guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, And you see, I've never I never hated Roger Goodell as much as everybody else has. Like I've always enjoyed the product of the NFL. Like he's never ever really been the center of attention, aside from I guess Patriots fans hate them because it's wouldn't it, Brady? And but I don't. I didn't know that the whole NFL united hate this guy. I remember like kind of growing up, but you know, I wasn't into the politicking of the NFL like it is now. But you know, rule changes have gone on throughout the years, but it seemed like everyone's adapted to it, and it's just the way that we view football now. And as we said, the NFL is an entertaining, very entertaining product. I think he does a very respectable job. I think he's doing a better job than Adam silver Is, and he seems to be universally loved well not anymore.
Speaker 1: He was and now he's not.
Speaker 3: Okay. See, I don't have the feel on him when.
Speaker 1: It comes with Goodell, Like I think, yeah, when I think about people not liking him, it's because of you know, inconsistent punishments. It's that really. I mean the Patriots fans, I mean they made him the biggest enemy ever because they they had everybody well I think they just had themselves believing that like the Belichick and Brady and all those guys were victims and Goodell was just out to get him, which was never really a thing. But right when I think of when I think of Goodell getting criticism, and I'm kind of thinking, okay, and I kind of get that, is that you'd have a guy that did something rather minor and he would be suspended like a year. You'd have a guy like not you know, charges would be dropped because as of a settlement. But like we saw video and it was proven that this guy beat the hell of hell out of a woman, and yet because the criminal charges were dropped, like there really wasn't much of a punishment. But I don't really know what he can do about that, Like if criminal charges aren't dropped, like you just at that point, you just end up presenting yourself as the guy who it's your you know, it's your judgment call, right, it's your discretion as far as what you think is like you know, and then nobody would want to do that, Like there needs to be standard rules. Okay, if you get charged with this, here's the punishment. If it just comes down to like, okay, we're gonna just decide, you know myself, Roder Goodell, as far as what you know, what the punishment was, or what the punishment you know deserving is, it's just it's it's a mess. But anyways, the first night of the NFL Draft, I thought it was phenomenal. I think the biggest talking point, as we said yesterday, no matter what happens, should or Sanders is going to be talked about more than anything, and he did not get picked. And I think it's safe to say that is the biggest talking point that alongside with the Jaguars trading up to get Travis Hunter, which i'm i'm i'm I give them credit for making a move like that. Travis Hunter was believed to be the best talent in this draft for a long time and then throughout the lead up to last night, I don't really think to anybody, like to me, there was never any moment where people started to doubt, like if he was as good as everybody had been saying he was. He's special. But obviously the Titans need a quarterback, so they decided to take the quarterback that they think is the best in this draft. And then yet it turned out to where Travis Hunter was viewed to be going to the Browns and you know, I give the brown You know, the Browns were willing to say, okay, you know we we we'll move back, and you know we don't. You know, I was that in your mind a not a shot at Travis Hunter, but like the Browns willing to just give up the pick and move back three and not take him. It did kind of tell me that maybe the Browns aren't as impressed as as everybody else was, or maybe they just realized, look, he's a phenomenal player, but you know he's he's a defensive back. You know, you know not to say, you know, you clearly need like that, but you know, not to say, you'll just go find another Travis Hunter elsewhere. But I was surprised that the Browns were just willing to give that pick up because I've just believed that he was that for such a long time. Now, Travis Hunter is somebody that you know, regardless off he's receiver or defensive back both. I think he's probably going to be mostly a defensive back, but he's.
Speaker 3: Gotta be one.
Speaker 1: He's a game changing player, so you know That's feel like.
Speaker 2: They got a lot for him, though. I feel like it was a first round of next year, a second round draft pick, a fifth round, and I think something else but getting that the I feel like younger gms nowadays, and especially now, they're trying to go into analytics and that moneyball type of stuff where all the value is just in picks anymore, and that's all that they're looking forward to. I think Travis Hunter is a phenomenal prospect obviously, but from everything that I hear, because I'm not just like a Colorado watcher, they're fun to, you know, watching there on. But from everything I'll let the draft experts say that haven't you too, that he doesn't do anything like outstandingly well either on offense or defense.
Speaker 1: That's that's what the noise turned into with him, is that he was really good at both, but like it's more so just because of how gifted he is as an athlete and his talent. It's not as if like he's just this guy that nobody's going to be able to get open against. Right, And it wasn't as if like a receiver. Yes, so he's really good at everything because he's so athletic, but what's really his best tool in his in his bag? Right? And I guess, but I feel like if you're in the NFL, you'd be able to identify, Hey, we will because most programs would not have let him play both sides. And I guess, you know, if anything, give Deon credit for letting him do that and and it working out because he was very very good at both at the college level. But it was again mostly just because he's just a special talent. But I think the NFL realizes, look, we are going to give him an identified role, and he's got the tools and the ability that most humans don't have to where he's got a good head on his shoulders. He'll work hard and he whatever whatever direction we tell him he's going to be focused on. He's got everything needed to be exceptional at that position. I'd say that's the way you look at it. But I did see a lot of people kind of saying the same thing that the Jaguars might have given up a little too much to get him. However, with the with with picks being such a big thing that's traded now, the value in those picks is only dependent upon what you do with it, and you don't know until you know. So you know, having all those picks is great, but you could screw it up.
Speaker 2: I feel like he has to be a receiver because the only reason that you give up all that is showing that you still have faith in Trevor Lawrence. And he needs a weapon. But I mean, like he's not a play receiver. I mean he's gonna please. I mean, I could totally see them just trying to do something and trying trying.
Speaker 1: To do The Jags may be the franchise that would let him do both because when they have the loser, the Jaguars.
Speaker 3: Exactly that's what I was getting to, and.
Speaker 1: They trade it up and gave up a lot that people are like, man, he's special, but you gave up everything. But the jack Sho're probably thinking like we're the Jags, Like what do we have to lose, Like, take make a big move, take a big ricks, What do we have to lose? You know, being irrelevant and being a doormat in the NFL. We've been that for our existence. I mean, I like that they did that. It didn't care and I think you know that that was exciting to me. Now, as far as tonight, we'll get into sort of who's still left and who's expected to be taken tonight. But I've been listening to a lot of the coverage today, just national coverage about the draft, and the Browns have two picks. I think it is in this second round, or maybe maybe maybe they just reference maybe they were mentioning that they have of course a second and a third rounder tonight.
Speaker 2: But I think they have two picks in the second I think that the one that they got from the Jags in their original second So.
Speaker 1: It sounds like they're going to take a quarterback. And I think it was Rich Eisen who and even Pat McAfee mentioned it as well, that it just doesn't feel like it's going to be shod or. Now, I we'll get into this later, but I actually think that Shad or like I think passing on him in the first round makes a lot of sense. But I also think if he's not taken early tonight, then it really is a nobody really thinks he's that good. Maybe I'm wrong. I mean, that's just I mean, there's no way for me to know if that's accurate or not. But I think to me and it makes sense. But it also is you know, it's not that much of a difference in my opinion, of a first round pick and a second round pick. They're both huge investments. But I think shad Or screams he might be special at some point. But man's that's a big risk to take him with a first rounder. But then when you get to the second round, it just seems as if there's going to be a level of Okay, he's worth it. In the second round. Yeah, it's a bigger it's a risk, but you know, it's not a first round pick. I kind of think that's the way this will play out tonight. So that's why I say, if you get to, you know, mid to late second round, and there has been another quarterback taken that's not him, it might just be that the teams that were really desperate for a quarterback, they came in knowing that this quarterback crop was not great, and of all that, they still don't think he's even one of the best in that group. Which again it's not that that's not picking on it. This is one of the things that just blew my mind because last night him not being taken, I mean, it was. It is a story, and I'm it should be discussed because again, as we talked about yesterday, no matter what's going on, good or bad, whatever, the Sanders family is going to stay in the news. They're gonna be headline news, They're gonna be talking, they're gonna be talked about. And it's a gift. It's a gift that they have. Dion is clearly that the guy who does it, but obviously now shoud or I mean, he's he's part of it as well. So with all that said, he turned into last night where some people are making him out to be a victim, like he like he was wronged by not getting picked last night, and I mean, I'm I'm listening to this and I'm thinking, Okay, Nick, you're a hater, you don't like Dion, you don't like shit, or I mean, it's not personal, but like I don't. I don't think. I mean, I think shad Or is a to me, he seemed like an awful teammate in Colorado, through his player, through his teammates, under the bus, at press conferences. You know, doesn't seem to have a good attitude, doesn't seem to be a good leader, and he's cocky for really no good reason. So that's why I don't like him. But you know, if he was great, i'd say it, and he might end up being phenomenal. Who knows. But you know, last time, I'm listening to Lewis Ridick and even Booger McFarland who were doing hits on ESPN after the first round, and both of them said the same thing, but they said it a little bit differently, and it was along the lines of, there's certain things that Shadoor Sanders has that we hold against him, as far as the way he is and the way he plays and the way he carries himself. Where if it was somebody else they did the same thing, we'd look at it as a strength. We'd look at it as confidence and being sure of themselves. And I'm paraphrasing, I'm not quoting them, but they painted it as if it was unfair and he was wrong that he didn't get picked last night, And I'm sitting here thinking, do people hear themselves the NFL draft? Getting drafted is not something you earn. You can be the best player on the planet. Somebody doesn't want to draft you. That's that is their decision. You're not entitled to be drafted. I mean you kidding me? Like the entitlement that I've always felt, like Dion Sanders and everything about Colorado football, like I've just never understood it, Like they've never earned anything as far as like you know, wins and losses and like accomplishments. They're retiring Shadoor Sanders Jersey he had a losing record, Like what are we doing here? So again, it'd be different if you actually did do something, but they didn't. But even if you did, even if Shore Sanders was a two time Heisman Trophy winner, He's not entitled to be drafted at any point. Like I don't get it. Like that's like me saying, Look, I've been taking care of myself. I've lost fifteen pounds, I've been in the weight room. Doctor Woods got me performing like a madman in the bedroom. So Margo Robbie, I'm entitled to a date. You hear me. I've been working hard. I've earned it. I've earned it. Like, I know that sounds like a crazy comparison, but it's not like nobody's entitled to be drafted. Nobody Like you can work hard and put yourself in a position, but you have no control if they want you or not. And here's the reality, you know, Manytimes, people are are are qualified for a job that they don't get because the people making the decision they might realize I don't really like this guy. It's not that I'm telling you he's bad, but I I don't don't want to work with him. I don't want to hire him because it wouldn't be a good fit because he's not likable. And I'm not saying that that's what the NFL is doing here with Shid or Sanders. But like, we spent way too much time yesterday at least I did you know it's I say we, it's all my fault. I'm the one that yaps for three hours but a lot about just the sand Like it really is amazing to me that Deon Sanders and you know, Colorado football and you clearly include shit or in the whole conversation here, like they're going to be talked about regardless of what happens for the next many years to come, just because of that's their polarizing That's what it is. But but now you've got people act as if like it's a conspiracy and they're taking there they're taking it out on shit or because they don't like Dion and they don't like the way he carries himself, or maybe they're jealous of his of his performance. I like, again, you can be like, you know, if we're talking about a committee deciding like which players are up for the Heisman. That's one thing the end, the NFL draft is not about earning it, because because there's there's guys who've earned a com I mean, they've they've earned act I mean, think about this really doesn't matter anything. Getting drafted has nothing to do what you've earned. It's about what they think of you and what they believe you can do. I mean, the guy that the Bengals took last night, he may be great, he's a freak when it comes to the measurables, but he was statistically a poor player at Texas, A and m last year he was like he wasn't good. There's nothing analytically statistically that would make you think that the guy that the Bengals drafted was good. But he also is a freak who has got a lot of upside and the NFL things they can work with that kind of stuff. So I know, I'm sure I sound like the biggest hater of all time when it comes to shit or Sanders. And look, this isn't his fault, but like the noise about the whole situation just took me aback because you're not entitled to be drafted. You have to you have to make somebody want to draft you, and you can't honestly control that. Like even if he was the best guy in the world and he was like, you know, out here curing cancer and kissing babies and you know, just just this ultimate you know, Philip what do they call it, a philanthroper? Like if he I mean, he could be God's gift to you know, the world. But that doesn't get you drafted. Like they have to want they have to want to draft you. They have to want you. It's not about like you're like there's no threshold of like your statistics or your accomplishments that get you drafted, and yet people act like he was wrong, and I just I don't. I find myself more now than ever when it comes to just things that are really big talk points in sports nationally. I just want to I kind of look around, like are we hearing ourselves here? What are we doing? Anyways, we'll take a quick break. It's a Friday, day number two of the NFL Draft. Good stuff will take you up till six o'clock, So hang out with us right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 1: So I guess it really wasn't expected as far as Tyler Shut getting drafted last night, and it started to feel that way as we got closer to the draft. But there were two quarterbacks taken, obviously cam Ward number one, and then the Giants did in fact take Jackson Dart And I mean, I feel like this is and you might have in Austin. I think you kind of said the same thing the other day. So I want to give you credit because maybe you put it in my brain and it just stuck there. But doesn't this scream Zach Wilson, Jets pick. Everybody is of the belief that this is not going to work out. He screams bust, meaning Jackson Dart. And it's like everybody, including you know, just the fans who may not know anything, but you know, they trust their eye, they trust their opinion because they watch a lot of ball. I don't think any other team needing a quarterback would have taken Jackson Dart. I think all the again will never know, but I feel like all the other teams that needed a quarterback, which clearly the first round showed us what the NFL thinks of this class, because I don't think anybody else would have taken Jackson Dart meaning I think if there was another quarterback taken, meaning that the Steelers or whoever else we know the Browns is going to want a quarterback. I think if they were forced to take one, I don't think they would have taken Jackson Dart. I mean, we don't know that, but like you just you're It's one thing if you just have an arrogance, because you've all you have this as a GM or as an organization, a franchise in general, you have a history of really identifying something that others can't and that you know, you're not gonna get caught up in the noise of what fans are saying or what the analysts just saying. You're gonna trust your judgment, and really that's what you should do. But I don't know how that. I mean, again, he's got the look, he's got the size, he was successful enough, his numbers were decent, the numbers were good, but again, like he couldn't be Kentucky. And also a lot of his touchdowns from last year they came against the worst teams they played. So again, I'm not saying he's bad, but I don't think anybody else would have done it. But it's like the Giants are just so dead set. No, we know, like, trust me, we've got this. We know we know what others are thinking about this guy. But we were able to actually really see something that's there that you guys are just missing. And it reminded me of when Zach Wilson was taken by the Jets, because everybody just I mean, it just seemed like, yeah, that guy, you probably could have gotten him a lot later. And if there's any quarterback in this class that might be an absolute bust. He looks like the guy and that's exactly what played out was Zach Wilson. So maybe Jackson dart Is is going to prove a lot of people wrong. But that just screams bust. And with that said, now that we get to a round two again, I just think you're much more will If you don't love a quarterback but you like him and you really like him, I think you. I mean, it wouldn't. I don't. There's no rumor of this, clearly I have no inside information, but like I think, if there's a team out there that really likes should Or that really likes Shuck, or maybe they really like Jalen Milroe, because I mean, who was it? Was it? Kyle Brandt, was was of the NFL Network, was talking earlier today saying that he thought last night, if there was a third quarterback taken, it would have been Milroe ahead of should Or and ahead of Chuck. And I mean, again, what do I know?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: Last I check, Milroe was looked at as a guy that kind of didn't really have like didn't necessarily have the NFL upside, Like he's a big, physical, you know, big strong guy, and you know, he's not terrible, but to me, he's he's a little bit like Richardson, only in a way that you can tell he'll make some plays at times, but like he's still kind of developing as a quarterback. And look, guys go to the NFL and they got to get better. But I just think putting if you draft him early, like he's going to need to sit and develop, and I just you know, unfortunately, that's just not how the NFL operates anymore. If you're drafted pretty early at quarterback, in most instances, you're just throwing into the fire. So anyways, what I was saying is that if you find if there's a team that really really likes one of these quarterbacks that's still left and they just didn't like him enough to get him in the first round, because this crop of quarterbacks in this draft is weak, as well as the fact that you know, they felt like there was really strong value at other positions that they just couldn't pass up on. Like you may see somebody trade up tonight to get one of these qbs. But again that maybe that is a little bit unrealistic because I think you'd see that if like you got to the second round, and people were looking around saying, Wow, could you believe this guy's still available in the second round. If they're saying that about anybody, they're saying it about shit or But I think it's just based off the buzz, the hype. Like and again I'm not acting like I think the guy's terrible. But the majority of why, the biggest factor and why he has discussed the way that he is is because of the story that he's Dion's son, and you know, he clearly has some good genes because Dion was one of the most talented individuals that ever played sports. I mean, that's how special he was. So you know, I the Browns, to me, if they take a quarterback, it sounds like it's gonna be Shuck or Milroe, and rich Eisen said he believes it's gonna be It's gonna be Shuck, whereas Brand said he thinks it's gonna be Milroe because he thinks that the Browns kind of sneaky are in love with with Milroe, which I mean, I feel like I'm just being a hater, and maybe I'm just thinking, like, why would you draft because again, Shuck could get drafted early and like whoever whoever takes him like, should we surprised if their fan base is like, come on, this guy's twenty five and he was never good in college until this last season when he was at Louisville. So like, you know, I'll admit it, like there's some bias to I think the world of Shuck, But I also don't think it's just because I'm a Louisville fan. I think as far as being ready to play the position right now, he's the most ready with the throws he can make with his maturity. And again all that stuff that's used against him about his age, I mean I look at it as a as a benefit, Like I mean, yeah, maybe he doesn't have maybe you don't have as many years with him because he's starting his pro career a lot later. But is that something that that should be on the minds of NFL teams when they draft the guy, Like you want to win right away and he gives you a better chance to do that. And again, as we've discussed this day and age, if you're a quarterback playing the style in the way that Tyler Shuck is going to play in the NFL, I mean you should be able to do that for a long time, Like you could still have some freak injuries, you know, like tearing an ACL or something like that, because a lot of those things are non contact. But I mean, I just think of the guys left. To me, yes, there may be so much more upside with a guy like shad or Sanders, but to me, there's much more risk. And if he ends up being, you know, a guy that's just simply not good enough to lead an NFL team as a quarterback, like I think that would be I mean, I think that makes sense with Shuck. I don't think you can sell that like he'll eventually turn into this guy that is just you know, way better than he is now. So again, ceiling I suppose is higher for Shador, but you still like there's a chance Shadoor never develops to where he's able to like do some of the things that like Shuck can already do as far as just the throws he can make. So again, maybe I'm just being biased here and just you know, looking at it from a Louisville lens. But the Browns brought in Tyler Shuck, I believe for like two separate like they've again you know, they're looking at everybody, so I'm sure he's not the only person that they really did spend some extra time with as far as interviews and having him out to meet with the organization and all that. But I mean, I think if they take a quarterback, I would imagine it'll be milroll or Shuck. And if Shadowra Sanders ends up falling like the third round because again he's not the guy and in the in the second and third round, I don't I don't feel like you. I don't know, maybe I'm kind of spinning my wheels here because to me, he's the kind of prospect when it comes to just the upside and maybe just the god given ability that he has to where he could develop to be really good. If that's if that's what you really value, I feel like you would take him early. So you know, again, him not getting taken last night in the grand scheme of things, to me, isn't really a big shock because you know, I don't think he's that great, and we know this quarterback crop is not viewed to be elite. But everybody passing on him, especially teams that you know, need a quarterback, and we know this class is not great like, I think it's pretty telling that the NFL does not love him the way that, you know, I think a lot of folks think that they did. It's just the hype train man. And it's not to say that he's terrible, but it's just wild to me that it's now, you know, it'd be one thing if it's just you know, Dion Sanders groupies that just you know, oh it's coach prom they're haters. No, they're like Deon Sanders deserve to be made fun of whenever he talked all the talk and won what three games in his first year, And like there's certain people that ran with, oh, they're just mad. What were we mad about? They didn't do? Like who cares? They're not they're not relevant. I mean they are because they get talked about, but it was for no reason. It's like it's like the cowboys in the NFL. It's like Lebron and the Lakers. Like Lebron and the Lakers, they could be awful or great, They're still gonna be talked about a lot. And that's just what Colorado and Dion and the whole you know, entourages is. But the layer that's been added as far as entitlement like that, just like do people hear themselves. You're not entitled to be drafted. It's somebody's decision do they want you or not. You could have the best stats, the best career ever if you don't get drafted. Yeah, if that's the case, then yeah, we'd look at those franchises that passed on you and say they're foolish. But it's their decision. Like, you don't earn a draft pick. You have to win somebody over, and sometimes you could not win him over and it's their fault, meaning it's it's their loss. But you're not entitled to be drafted at any point. And he will get drafted at some point and probably who knows, maybe he goes early tonight. But I do feel like if he does not go early in the first you know two, I don't even we'll pull it up as far as the order. But teams that you know, need a quarterback if they don't take if they don't take him, and then they don't take a quarterback at all, I think it's pretty telling that, like maybe people aren't hating on him, but they just don't think like he's worthy of an investment because that's what a draft pick is, all right, quick break will come back. On the other side, we'rectually gonna bring in the one and only mister Jeff Milby of Racing Louisville Louisville CITYFC. He was really talking up last week's last week's he got me fired up. It was a it was a real gut check kind of game for Racing Louisville and it didn't go well. So I'm gonna, i mean, we're gonna see if he can keep it going. Because Jeff Milby has fired us up about some footy in the last few weeks. I mean, he's been bringing the energy, but it sounds like the club's not bringing it and maybe they can feed off of his energy. But we'll talk to him on the other side. Stick with us right here, taking up till six o'clock. It's Coffee and Company fuel abut Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 1: That's right, Coffee and Company, getting your set for the weekend. Thanks for hanging out with us on a Friday afternoon. Wrapping up the three o'clock hour, We now bring him in, mister Jeff Milby from Racing Louisville and Louisville CITYFC. Jeff, I mean, I'm gonna give you the floor, my man. You have executed really in every way since you've been joining us here on the show. And I know last week was a real gut check kind of game for Racing Louisville and obviously didn't work out all in a way that we wanted. So you know, thoughts and you know where do we go from here?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Nick, Look, first of all about me executing, I just follow the scauting report, you know, I just read the scouting report before I come on here and do with the coaches.
Speaker 3: Just do your job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just just doing a job. Yeah. Look, last week not the result we wanted, not the game we wanted, not the performance that the coaches wanted. For one loss for Racing Louisville at home to San Diego. Really difficult game. I mean the third goal for San Diego went right between the Racing Louisville goalkeeper's legs. Just an absolute just one of those days, brendous mistakes, one of those days, just the way the ball bounced, you know, went against us all the way through. So look, it's been a lot of regrouping going on around here this week for Racing Louisville, but they've got an opportunity. Look, it's the NWSL. Every game is winnable. Every game you can compete if you show up on the right day, because there's so much parity in this league. There are a couple of teams we talked about Washington last week, Kansas City, Orlando. Those are kind of the top three teams that are a little bit difficult to beat on any given day. But everybody else in the league is gettable. And that certainly is true for Portland this weekend for Racing louis They're heading on the road. They play on Sunday. It's four o'clock our time, one o'clock Portland time this game. This Thorns are one of those teams, like I said about San Diego last week, one of those teams that either they're going to be in the playoffs and Louisville's going to be on the outside looking in, or Louis's going to be in the playoffs and they're going to knock Portland out. It's just they're battling for one of those final playoff spots. At least that's the way we expect the season to go. They're a team that's their biggest star used to be named Sophia Smith. She got married in the offseason. Her name is Sophia Wilson, plays for the US women's national team, arguably the biggest star in the league. Right now. She's pregnant, so she's out for the rest of the season. So it's a little bit of a different look for the Portland Thorns. So I think they're gettable. I think if Racing shows up on the right day and plays their best, they can win at Providence Park, which is, by the way, a really cool stadium. If for no other reason, tune into this game on Sunday just to see this place, because it's like the Wrigley Field of soccer. It's like one hundred year old stadium. They've retro fitted it for some great atmosphere there. Every time the Portland Thorns play, they get fifteen twenty thousand fans for every game out there. It'll be an intimidating atmosphere for Racing Louisville, but I think it's one that they can win. Portland played on Tuesday, they played a weird game on They're a random Tuesday guest, so right, so they're guests. So we're going to go out there Racing Louisville and hopefully get their number. Racing has played well against them of late. They beat them last year a Lynn Family Stadium, tied them at Portland last year, and then you go back two seasons ago they beat them. So their last three meetings they're unbeaten against Portland. So it's a real opportunity for Racing to bounce back on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys will hear the action here on Sports Talk seven ninety on Sunday at four o'clock, and you can actually check it out. As Jeff mentioned, it's going to be on a paramount plus just to check out the atmosphere. Fifteen to twenty thousand. That's a pretty impressive crowd that you can get there. And I know, you know, obviously coming off with tough losses, we discussed, but I do think there's something to be said about getting away. And I know they're not going to be gone the entire next two weeks, but this Sunday, Portland on the road and then they'll be in Houston the following Friday on May second, So you know, maybe this is a time to kind of, you know, come together, kind of kind of regroup, right. You know, you always want to be playing at home in front of your fans, but sometimes a team can kind of, you know, you know, almost like a retreat to where they kind of you know, they get some things figured out, they're you know, they're they're kind of away and not you know, I don't want to say there's distractions around here, but I think sometimes this situation, as far as how the schedule sets up, it could be pretty valuable to kind of get some things worked out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think I think too, Nick to your point. I think there's some pressure that goes away when you go on the road, right, you go, oh, no doubt into an environment like they're going to see on Sunday, we're going in.
Speaker 1: You're not in your own domain.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right. And you know, also I'll say this, I mean this Racing Louisville crowd is a knowledgeable crowd that Lynn Family Stadium every week. They've seen this team go through these troubles the last two years and struggle and miss the playoffs, and a game like last week, they go behind and suddenly you can feel the energy kind of suck out of the building a little bit, and it's different on the road. That's not going to happen if they go behind. That's the way they're expected to go right, that's the way things are expected to go. So you're up against you got to have that underdog mentality for Racing Louisville this weekend at Portland, and I'll say this as well, if we're talking about the road trip, Houston is another gettable game. It's another winnable game next week. It's not one of these games where you're going up against the juggernaut. It's a game that if Racing Louisville shows up and plays right, they could win. So it could be a huge two game road swing for them as they try and rewrite the ship in the right direction after a couple of gross losses the last couple of weeks at home. It's a huge opportunity. That's the way I'm looking at these next two weekend games at Portland this weekend on Sunday, then at Houston next weekend before they ultimately return home on May night, a big opportunity to right the ship and get some mojo going in the right direction and some confidence before they return home to Lynn Family Stadium. But Nick, I have to say something. Last week I came on here and I made a mistake. Man, I'm coming to you with my tail between my legs because last week I came on here and I hyped you up. You got this US opened Cup for lou City, right the NCAA and of soccer, where you got MLS teams and USL teams all the way down to the amateur teams. You get the opportunity for big upsets, right, And I sold it to you hard. He did well. I messed up the date. I messed up the date. My friend I said it was turn up Tuesday. It's a while and out Wednesday May even better. Game is going to be played on a Wednesday, even better later in the week in the party a little bit harder, right, But it's Minnesota United coming to town of Major League Soccer and MLS team is going to play at Lynn Family Stadium against lou City on May seventh. And oh, by the way, that's not the only big game on the horizon right now for lou City. May first, that's next Thursday. Talk about you know, a thirsty Thursday kind of afternoon you want to have at Lynn Family Stadium. Nick, I know for certain you are not a fan of sports teams from Lexington. Is that correct? Is that a fair assumption?
Speaker 1: It's a fair assumption. And I hope you're not about to use the r word rivalry because they're not worthy yet to be considered a rival. What have they done to be rivals to a club that is racing or Louise CITYFC that really since launching has just been nothing but successful. Most franchises that just you know, start up like they did many years ago. All they do is win. Like you know again, rivalries are great for sports. You and I both know that it's fun. But like, we're not worried about Lexington SC yet, are we?
Speaker 4: No? But they're worried about us. I'll tell you that about us.
Speaker 1: And we're in their heads.
Speaker 4: Played in the preseason, right, that's right. These two teams played in the preseason and it felt like Lexington's Super Bowl. They scored a couples, they did. They took the lead in that one little brother that he came from behind and and just ripped their heart out of their chest, winning at three to two I think was the final score of that game in preseason. Absolutely, they're little brother, They're looking up at us. They are trying trying to size themselves up against us. I will say this, We are trying to make it a little bit of a rivalry. We came out this week.
Speaker 1: With yea because it's good for everybody.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Come on, they launched like they were about to just do what what what you know what Louislle City FC has done and like that doesn't happen really anywhere. So sorry to be so standard, but like, you know, come on, like earn your stripes before you start acting like, oh yeah, we're we got a team too, We're gonna you know, no, come on, you know your role.
Speaker 4: Oh Nick, you're preaching to the choirt. Yeah, I mean around here at the office over here at Soccer Holdings. We have some serious disdain for those folks down a Lexings in because they came on the block, thought that they were the coolest new guy in school. Right, they don't know what they're doing yet, right, this is their first year in this league. They moved up to the USL Championship, which is our league where Loose City plays. They think that they're going to come in here and walk in with a big budget. And by the way, they've spent a lot of money on their roster down there, to give them some credit. But they think they're going to come in here with a big budget and make a big difference in this league. Not so fast, to quote the great and soon to be retired league course, so not so fast. You guys still have to come to the mountaintop, come to lend Family Stadium and prove that you deserve to be on this level. And that's the opportunity that they have and the opportunity that we as Louisville people and Louisville City fans have to come up to lend Family Stadium next Thursday and let Lexington know how we feel about them, both as a team and as a city. I think it's got the makings for a great evening to kick off Kentucky Derby weekend. That's our hope is that on Thursday Surby, you'll go the track, maybe get to you know, get your energy going at the track, and then come to Lynn Family Stadium and help Louisville City defeat Lexington next Thursday. We're calling it the Commonwealth Cup. It's presented by a Republic bank. Are great friends able to help us, We're gonna have a trophy on the line. It's gonna feel like that. That kind of college rivalry is what we're really going for between Louisville and Louisville City and Lexington. So that's another one to put on your calendar. You got May seventh against them and yeah, I can't even say it an MLS team. And then Thursday against Lexington May the first couple of big opportunities for the city at Lynn Family Stadium over the next week or so.
Speaker 1: Exciting stuff, no doubt. And Jeff, as always, we appreciate your time, appreciate your energy, and in as much as I do think Lexion needs to kind of, you know, kind of cut their teeth a little bit before they think they're you know, they're gonna be hanging out with big brother out there competing and you know, getting some results, doing some real stuff. It is gonna be great because if you want people to get interested that maybe aren't and haven't really experienced what racing Louisville and Louisville City FC is, if you tell them, hey, this is our team in Louisville and Lexton's got a team like that's enough to get people interested and fired up. Right, it's rivalry, of course.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean, I don't know about you, Nick, but I've never had a good time in the city of Lexington. I mean, you know, aside from a couple of football games and basketball games over the years, but I've never gone down to Lexington and been like, hey, this is a great town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, louis is the best thing about it is when you get to leave. That's the best part about it.
Speaker 4: That's right. The best thing about Lexington is when you get to leave. And we're gonna hopefully send Lexington back with their tails between their legs after next Thursday. Should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: No doubt. Jeff, you are the man. Have a good weekend, my friend, and we'll talk sooner, my brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah, appreciation Nick, all right, that.
Speaker 1: Is Jeff Melby from Racing LOUISLL and Louisville CITYFC. Love the energy, love the enthusiasm, and uh oh he's great. We are We're I mean, I won't claim to be like somebody that's that's been you know a day one, you know there every game, but we what what Louisville CITYFC has been able to do since launching what roughly a decade ago. I mean, it doesn't really happen anywhere in any sport to where they've just been good ever since it started, and even the down year, I mean, it's not anything close to what like a lot of teams experience in a down year. So you know, in fact, I wouldn't be shocked if those in Lexton looked at what Lowell CITYS was doing and said, you know, we're going to try to do that too, and there's no harm in trying. But come on, like, let's not act like what they did was just something that comes easy. It's something that is really rare when it comes to an expansion team, just you know, right out of the gate being super successful. And here we are a decade in and last that checked. You know, their brand, their history is just nothing but winning for the most part, winning at a high level. All right, quick break two hours left right here on Sports Talk seven ninety