Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Friday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 3: And the man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it too nothing With John Taylor, I was just gonna say underrated egg, deviled egg and Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 1: Now are you gonna go on the coach at eight o'clock tonight? Sits down and let's put it in.
Speaker 2: Here's Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver and the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks to Donnie and Dolly to team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man at the controls, our director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. How are you?
Speaker 1: It's Friday, tgif let's go.
Speaker 3: It's Friday, May the ninth, and that means May the ninth. It means the whistle Golf Oh has opened up for the twenty twenty five golf season al. Chris Manson, our friends will help out our show so much.
Speaker 1: We wish them the best of luck, get the clubs out, get out their whistler, beautiful course, you'll it be hard pressed to find a nicer one in British Columbia.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, as we stay in BC here, the Abbotsford Canucks tonight hosting Coachella Valley Game four. Abdsford up three to one in that Colt second round Calder Cup playoff series. Game five if needed Sunday at the Abbotsford Center, of course, demand in charge of the Abbotsford Canucks behind the bench is Manny Maultra.
Speaker 1: Manny Maultra, and can you imagine they win tonight? Donny sold out crowd. It looks like off to Colorado to face them, nothing but great.
Speaker 3: Well, his stock will go up. And as we all know, Manny Mahultra considered a strong candidate to take over from Rick talk At as head coach of the parent Vancouver Canucks. Now, in line with that, we've heard over the last twenty four hours, or least since we left the studio yesterday, that another candidate from the American Hockey League has emerged, Marco Stern. Like Manny Mahultra, a former Canuck, didn't last long here in Vancouver. But Marco stern is the head coach of the Ontario Rain in the La Kings organization. He has emerged seemingly out of nowhere as a coaching candidate for the Vancouver Canucks.
Speaker 1: They've interviewed a lot of American hockey guys, said Donnie, I heard his name last Saturday at Pascal Vincent. Another American hockey guys out there. But Donnie, I got to ask you. You're interviewing a ton of American Hockey League coaches. If you give the job to another American hockey coach and Manny's doing what he's doing, I mean, are you kissing him goodbye?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Okay, you know Todd Nelson, his name's out there in all these American Hockey League guys. If you pick one of those guys over many, does he say see you later on audio some out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would definitely be a possibility. That is one thing that would be a negative if if indeed that happened with Marco Sturm or one of the other American Hockey League coaches. Todd Nelson of the Hershey Bears, his name is out there. He's got a lot of coaching experience, though, and had a season with the Orders as an introm head coach. Back in the day, Abensford is doing so well in the playoffs Ontario, the Ontario Rain was upset upset by the San Jose Barracuda in the American Hockey League players, So are you are you going to give the job to somebody? I know, I know there's there's more to a resume than one series. I get all that, but it would look, I would think, look bad if you give the job to somebody who was unsuccessful this spring versus somebody like Manny. He's been successful the whole season, including the postseason.
Speaker 1: And he's in your backyard. And who's developing your young guys like Elliots Peterson the defenseman. He's done a wonderful job with them dot So I find that a little bit odd, But who knows. I did say last week looking for an American hockey a guy with experience in the American League and the NHL as well, keeping those young kids in mind.
Speaker 3: He played six games for the Knucks at the start of the twenty eleven twenty Tall Series.
Speaker 1: Did he run any injuries?
Speaker 3: Don I think?
Speaker 1: If I can't remember, I do remember the Canucks getting.
Speaker 3: Him, and that was of course near the end of his career. But when you think Marco Sturm is a player's what's the first thing that comes to mind? I know what it is for me?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: Well, he was part of the Joe they lopsided Joe Thornton Boston.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he went to Boston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Joe Thornton. This is one of the weird stats in National Hockey League history. He won the Art Ross that year playing for the Bruins and the San Jose Sharks. I think I've got that right. But it was Wayne Primo, Brad Stewart and Marco Stern to Boston for Jill Thornton, who is at a contract as Peter Don. He goes to San Jose and in great success. There no Stanley cuffs, but he's in the Hall of Fame. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And you know what, he is a coach that's been in LA with the Kings and also in their farm team. So a couple of things about the Canucks coaching search. How much money are they paying don Are you going to pay two million or are you gonna pay four or five million? That's one thing, and the other one is how long are they willing to wait on candidates still coaching? There's guys in the league. Well we'll show the board. Yeah, the teams are waiting. I mean these are possible Canucks head coaching candidates. Donny right here, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Manny Mahultra and again no particular order here of folks. Mike Yeo in Ottawa, of course, has been part of Rick Talcket's coaching staff in the past. Peter Laviolet, that name is still out there. Mike Ucci and of course he's part of the Penguins organization. Maybe he should be at the top of this list. Jeremy Carlton, of course, who Manny Maholter replaces an avatar he's.
Speaker 1: Been talked about, yep, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Marco Stern, Jay Woodcroft, former Oilers head coach. And you you've talked a lot about Mitch Mitch Love, who's with the Washington Capitols right now.
Speaker 1: A lot of teams like Mitch Love, but he's coaching with the Capitol So do you hell, how long do you wait?
Speaker 3: And do you risk lose losing somebody else? You might want? I might want if Mitch says no, Todd Nelson with Hershey and of course Adam Foot with the current Canucks staff.
Speaker 1: I was told that on footage still in the mix, he has not told the Canucks that he is going anywhere yet.
Speaker 3: Okay. Meanwhile, Rick Talckett, Yeah, Rick, this this keeps coming up that despite what the Canucks what Jim Rutherford has said that there are teams, at least one team on the West Coast that is still a possibility for a Rick Talcket landing spot. And by the way, Rick Talckett is on tn T this weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Seattle, it's two hours. You're very low key today. What do you want me to do?
Speaker 3: What do you want me to do?
Speaker 1: I can't put this but no, no, But then I get accused of yelling like the lady that ripped me on the email.
Speaker 3: Yester.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rick yells too much. See this is what I mean. If I'm low key, then I'm low key. But as soon as I raised my voice, I get emails too much. I can't win. I can't win. Anyways, where were we, Rick Tockett? You got Seattle? Yeah, Seattle? So uh. Talkott is interviewed in Seattle and Talkott is also I believe got a good offer from Seattle, but man, Donnie, two hours down the highway, it would just be a slap in the face. The optics don't look good for the Canucks. So Rick Tackett tells Vancouver, I'm not back despite a great offer done by the Canucks. Uh, but they're now I'm going to go two hours down the high Wait, Like I mean, I I that.
Speaker 3: What would the offer be from Seattle? Do you know?
Speaker 1: I don't know the offer, but I know it's good. Well the rumor that Vancouver and a half million year?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 4: For that?
Speaker 1: We said five? You said five last week?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, he got a great offer from the Canucks. He said no. And by the way, I was told that it's not about money for Talcket Donnie. It's not about money. If it was about money, he would have taken the Vancouver offer, which was great.
Speaker 3: It was great. What's it about?
Speaker 1: It's there's hey, who's the GM, what's the what's the team? Where's the team in their cycle of winning? All those stuff? I mean, nobody wants personalities and personalities involved. Who's He's got buddies there in Seattle. Francis Botterrol there's connections. You know, you you you said all the time he played with Ron Francis in Pittsbursburg when they want Stanley Cups together, there's a relationship there. But Seattle is definitely after Talket absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think the surprising thing with Rick Talckett, who is on TNT doing analysis this weekend, back with his old buddies, is that we haven't heard much about and in fact, we don't even know if they've been in touch with him. Everybody's assumed he's going to Philadelphia, but that isn't necessarily the case.
Speaker 1: Rick, No, Philly is in they have to We haven't heard much about it. I Phillies in there, and I believe that they have talked to talking, and I believe it would not surprise me if Phillies made an offer.
Speaker 3: So I just assumed that he had an offer waiting. That's why he left. Oh no, you're going to turn down four and a half million dollars a year.
Speaker 1: You have to get permission. You have to get permission from the Canucks to talk to Talcket because Talkeet's under contract till June thirtieth, So you can't just go look at twenty they got permission. Talkets got permission from the Canucks. The Bruins are in the mix for him, the Penguins. That's the one you've been hearing a lot. Yeah, they're going to set up an interview in Boston. Talcket's going to do fine. I see these five six guys they work together on Twitter. These guys they got the agenda. They're ripping TALKT because.
Speaker 3: Which five guys?
Speaker 1: Now you know the five it's the same five steps to have. They drive every one nuts. They love Patterson, they hate to hate Miller. All these guys they work together. There's five six accounts. But anyways, listen, uh, they're ripping TALKT. He's not a good coach man.
Speaker 3: You get so upset with emails and texts.
Speaker 1: Stop look at you when we get ripped here you this is Donnie Well No, hold on, I've got one stock response is so great. I got stokers too.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Listen, I know I said, I got I got one response that I basically you know, post out to everywhere.
Speaker 1: Was I lost my thought? All these people that say talk It isn't a good coach. Why does he got offers? Why are all seven teams have contacted his agents that are looking for a coach. He talked to the Ducks before they hired. There was several discussions between Talking and the Ducks and they picked uh, they picked Quinnville.
Speaker 3: Okay. Let This leads to a Waddling Don poll question. Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, the Waddling Dog. Rick, Well, you got they're criticizing you these days too, where you can enjoy twenty caps and twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks in UFC. Come sit and stay at the Wattling Dog today, Rick, right, get her up the Wattling Dog.
Speaker 1: Pop pole question. What will your reaction be if Rick Talkett becomes head coach in Seattle? Angry towards talkt, angry towards the Canucks or mah, which means what does mad mean? Ryan?
Speaker 3: Indifference? Indifference? You don't really care.
Speaker 1: How these young kids use words. I've never used math, but anyways, mas winning at forty nine percent and then twenty seven percent, say angry at Tacket, then angry at the Canucks at twenty four percent.
Speaker 3: I'm shocked that meh indifference is winning here. Yeah, I thought for sure there'd be more emotion one way or the other two hours down the highway in your division. Well no, also because the thought it was or we were told that it was because he wanted he's leaving the Canucks as he wanted to work in the East.
Speaker 1: So I thought there'd be more anger.
Speaker 3: I have a I just I've done a terrible job of reading the Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Or not because said Rutherford said, he only want but there's the results of her. But I was told that that comment caught people off card Donnie in your division. If Talcket signs for five years in Seattle, he's in your division for five years, right, Hughes leaves him two Cannock's going to a rebuild like you want. And here's talking coming in town, smacking the Canucks seven to one, and then Hughes goes to Seattle. I would talk all working here, Yeah, it's all working out.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: It would do one thing. It would do wonders for the Vancouver Seattle rivalry. There you go, which is zero right now. I don't get pumped up for a Canucks kracking game. Usually as playoffs, a line brawl something like that gets a rivalry going.
Speaker 3: But this might do it. If talk it ends up, if Capitol letters, if Okay. Also, we'll get to our rundown in a second. But and we'll talk about this this subject in a bit. These NHL Playoffs, the Stanley Cup, PLAYFFS Man. Every night I go home and it just does not disappoint. No, they haven't disappointed one single night. The Capitol's Hurricanes game was very good. It was close right until the end.
Speaker 1: Wilson and then.
Speaker 3: The Oilers and Knights was way better as good as the Capitals and Hurricanes were. It was just amazing, the ups and downs and the storylines in that game.
Speaker 1: Your buddy Pod Colson, you were the guy that said the Canucks take Coffield. And there's Donnie last night tweeting. Now Ryan showed the tweet You're you're pumping up Pod Colson.
Speaker 6: I just said they're pumping up put Colson, and you said the Canucks should take Coffield, and here you are last night jacking up his tires.
Speaker 1: What's up with that?
Speaker 3: Als I tweeted out was pods with an exclamation mark or two. That was it.
Speaker 1: But you told us they made a mistake. They should have taken Coffield. And here look at this. You know what what was that about?
Speaker 3: Which it's just interesting it's just interesting for Canuck fans that this guy and look at you, you're you're talking about me, you know, being negative toward Vasilli. Put the Connects got rid of.
Speaker 1: Him Rick Oh for a fourth thrown picks in the summer when no one expected it. But the reason that they got Pod Coleson Edmonton is because they knew they were not going to match the offer sheets to Saint Louis for the Broberg and the other player.
Speaker 3: Bottom line, I wonder if they'd like, of course they'd like to have that twenty nineteen draft pick back or another shot at them, maybe maybe take a Coffield or other people. Boldy was in that draft as well. But but Coleson one in one last night. He's got six points an eight playoff games. This is his goal here, but one goal, five assists, six points in eight games. Now, I only played nine minutes last night. I think he got one shift in overtime. But you know, in terms of what everybody expected him to do, it ebonton and I realized he's playing with some superior players there at Edmonton. No one expected this, so good on it.
Speaker 1: Good on them, and they're getting depth scoring. They got four lines Brown Perry, Pod Coles and jan Mark. They're all contributing. Evander Kaine's been good. Yeah, I got getting goals from their defense. Their defense, they're missing a top defense. Calm Bicker is six and oer. They've had six come from behind wins. Give the credit, Give credit to the orders. Whether you like him or not, Don I'm okay. I'm okay with mcgave.
Speaker 3: Ryan made this point about it's not so much pulling for the Oilers winning a Stanley Cup. I've seen that five times before. But I want to see one of the great players of all time host of Stanley Cup at some point, maybe with another team. I'm not sure, but looking very good right now. Okay, here's what's coming up on the show. D Timsey, Is it just me in the eleven o'clock hour. Rick Bonus is going to join us just after just after eleven o'clock. Former Cannucks assistant because coached everywhere, but former Cannucks assistant coach it was with the Jets last year. It gets replaced by his buddy Scott or and Eil this year and the Jets into the second round of the playoffs. And you look at that series Jets versus Stars, both teams recently coached by Rick Bonus, now working on the Hockey Night in Canada panel that he and t panel. He's going to join us just after eleven o'clock. You know, he's been in pro hockey going back to our days as a player, back to the early mid mid seventies.
Speaker 1: Or five decades. I mean, I remember when he was in Ottawa and he started out when they had the expansion team.
Speaker 3: Big ride. The Twitter guy coming up later this hour and up next from the athletic he covers hockey, he covers the Canucks. Our friend Thomas Dretz. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks, and good luck to the Whistle Golf Club.
Speaker 1: Donnie and Dolly the team I check.
Speaker 3: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 7: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business as Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 3: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 1: That's sales at abl e Auctions dot Ca. The Bayside Resort is a boutique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful oceanfront property prides themselves on offering a uncompromising fusion of West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged. The setting is gorgeous, the memories last a lifetime. Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean viewer, an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, oceanfront restaurant, lounge, high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event, the Bayside Oceanfront Resort the perfect to any time of the year. It's called two five zero, two four eight eight triple three and book your day today.
Speaker 3: It is Friday, and all of our guests today, including Thomas Strantz, standing by brought to you by the Bayside Oceanfront Resort. Looking for a midweek escape close to home. BC residents save fifteen percent on weekday stays at the Bayside Ocean Front Resort in Parksville. Relaxed by the ocean, enjoy great dining and unwined with island hospitality. Book now at Bayside Resort, Parksville dot com. We're joined now from The Athletic by Thomas Drantz is always on a Friday.
Speaker 1: How are you, sir, gentlemen, I'm doing well.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I can't remember if you've answered this question, but what the heck will ask it? Anyway? Just where are you when it comes to the possibility of Manny Mahultra replacing Rick Tockett as head coach of the.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I think it's a little soon. I'll be honest with you. I think it's a little soon. But if you wanted to make the argument, if the organization wanted to make the argument that look, regardless of experience, you've seen the work that this guy did in his first chance as a professional head coach. It was electrics. He's a genius. He's the right guy for the job. And whether the timing is perfect or not, you know, in an ideal world, maybe maybe he'd get a couple more years of seasoning.
Speaker 4: But we don't live in an ideal world.
Speaker 8: And after you know, investigating our options, we determined that this was the right guy for the job.
Speaker 4: I'd say, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 8: I mean his work at the American League level has been pretty much undeniable. You think about, you know, Lacara Maki's development down in the AHL this year, Ratu's progress, you know, you think about how Elias Petterson has come along, the readiness of all the players at the NHL level that the club called up, especially down the stretch, and how they fit in, how prepared they were. You know, Malhotra replaced like an elite American League coach in Jeremy Caleton. This was his first years as a head coach at the professional level, at any level, Like he's never been a head coach. And for him to have accomplished all that, for all of Vancouver's developmental prospects to have improved or progressed or tracked in a positive direction, and for the team to have had success, including playoffs success. I mean they have a chance to advance another round in the Calder Cup playoffs tonight against the Coachella Valley Firebirds. I mean, that's that's a pretty unassailable resume. So the only sort of hole you can poke in it is, Hey, ideally he'd had he'd you know, we'd be two years in the future by the time we're considering this. But look like it looks like the club made a really sharp bet when they opted to hire Malhotra in the first place last summer. He's exceeded all reasonable expectations in his first year. And if the argument was, hey, this is the right guy. We think he's going to continue to exceed our expectations, I'd buy it because frankly, we saw it like I had experienced concerns about Manahaltra this year that proved unfounded. So you know, this is just a quality hockey guy was as a player, appears to have been as an assistant coach, and certainly has been in his first year managing a bench in the A. I like the profile overall, even if I think it's a little bit soon in a little bit of a difficult spot to put a relatively inexperienced head coach.
Speaker 1: In all things considered, Seattle is showing some serious interest in Rick Talcket. I don't know what the reaction in this city would be if he ends up two hours down the highway, like, I mean, it would be would it not be crazy? Rick Talckett and Seattle for five years?
Speaker 4: That would be unbelievable.
Speaker 8: I mean, then we'd really have a rivalry, right then we don't have to Then we don't have to have Ian Furness sort of straining to Then we wouldn't need Burness to be suggesting that Tyler Meyer sleeps in a cage and eats nothing but raw meat. Right Like, there'd be an actual reason for a rivalry here. And yeah, I mean, look the scary thing about that from my perspective, gentlemen, and I'd be curious to get your thoughts on it. But Seattle, you've got a pretty good starting goaltender and Joey Decord. You've got a pretty deep defense corps, a lot of guys with size like Larsen and Alexiak, but also some guys that can move the puck and drive play a little bit. You've got three centers with speed. You've got a lot of wingers with some defensive know how, guys like Tolvinen and Everley and even Capocaco who have some defensive chops. I mean, that team feels pretty ready made to play talk at hockey and play it pretty well. And to me, that's you know, not like a scary prospect, but it certainly would raise the floor on a cracking team that flirted with eighty points and I think bring them right to the point of being like a real content. Hender to be one of those spoiler wild card teams in the Western Conference mix. I mean, I think it would be a great fit hockey wise, with where that roster is at the moment, and I think Talking could probably punch above, you know, the talent weight that that lineup has if he were the man down the I five.
Speaker 4: So I mean, we'll see.
Speaker 8: It would certainly be an interesting one, you know, in terms of really igniting the rivalry in terms of having tongues wagging in this market, but also from a hockey perspective, I mean, I think it.
Speaker 4: Would be a great hire for the Kraken.
Speaker 1: Would you do everything possible to keep out of foot he's still in the mix. He could join his good friend Rick Talkett elsewhere. He's going to get interviews for head coaching jobs elsewhere. But I just think keeping this guy would really help for next year as opposed to three or you know, four brand new people on the coaching staff.
Speaker 8: I guess the question you have to ask yourself is can you keep him without a promotion?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: You keep him without a promotion associate head coach? Right, that's something that you know, if you bring in an experienced guy, could he be an associate head coach a little paybump there?
Speaker 4: Could you keep him with that?
Speaker 8: I think if that was a realistic route, and I don't think it would be. I think realistically it's going to be head coach or he'll more likely be on Talkeet staff, right, I mean that just what would be my gut. We know how much head coaches prize having their guy. Foot was Talkeets guy throughout his time in Vancouver, So yeah, I mean, I think that's where it's sort of the difficulty arises. I think if it takes promoting Foot to head coach to keep him, then you have to proceed with caution. Right, this is the guy who has zero head coaching experience.
Speaker 4: At the professional level.
Speaker 8: I don't think that that's a roll of the dice that this team should be like excited about sort of doing, given sort of the state of this roster, the stakes of this season, and you know, his one season as a head coach, like in contrast with Malhodra, who's one season as a head coach at the HL level has been a smash success by every category. You know, Foots one season as a head coach in the WHL with the Colona Rockets was not so good, not so positive, right, So I think that would be a huge swing of the bat and one that I probably would be nervous about if the Canucks decided to go that route.
Speaker 4: If you're able to keep foot.
Speaker 8: In any capacity below head coach, I mean, it's clear that he's accomplished an awful lota in this market since taking sort of the assistant coaching job.
Speaker 4: It's clear that he's.
Speaker 8: Wildly knowledgeable hockey guy, does a great job working with defenceman. We've seen what Tyler Myers has done under sort of Foots tutelage. We've seen what Zadorov did in the playhoffs last year. Obviously, putting Hughes and Heronic together was nothing short of inspired. So keeping a coach who has the respect of his players and has gotten this much out of them is definitely best practice if the club can figure out how to do it. Now promoting him the head coach, however, I think is a bit of a different question, and I think is something that would make me a little bit more nervous as sort of from the outside looking in at Vancouver Canucks decision making.
Speaker 3: How much fun are you having watching these Stanley Cup playoffs? And is it hard to believe the Canucks were right there with the Oilers after two games last year in the second round.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean the you know, I don't think that series was as close frankly as the like one goal in Game seven suggests. The Oilers saved like eighty five percent of shots faced.
Speaker 4: Jeff Skinner or sorry, Jeff Skinner.
Speaker 8: Stuart Skinner had a meltdown and that sort of changed the series in my mind when it really came down to brass tacks. The Oilers outshot the Canucks two to one in Game six and seven, and sort of outscored them by on an eight to one run across five period.
Speaker 1: They got a huge scare of though, they got a huge scare.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they got a scare, But like the Canucks were only ever close enough for McDavid to break their heart, right, I think that's that's the truth of it. Like that this team wasn't as close against the Oilers and we're clearly outplast at the pointy end of that series, like period, I don't know what else to say. You guys watched game six in game seven to two, and so you know, I sort of look at it and think, right, like, more than anything, you can get real close in the playoffs, but if you don't have the top end guys taking over games, then you're only ever close enough to have your heart broken. Like the Colorado Avalanche. I mean, how close were they to beating the Dallas Stars and then Miko rant and goes absolutely nuke against them.
Speaker 4: You can't get much.
Speaker 8: Closer than the Blues did against the Winnipeg Jets.
Speaker 4: But the Jets pulled it out of the fire.
Speaker 8: You know, their they're team attacking game six on five sort of help them overcome.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think.
Speaker 8: There's a lesson in that, like you need a top end, you need you need a dynamic top end more than anything else. And I think that's sort of what's interesting about this Stars story in particular for me looking forward to that game tonight, is you know, the Stars like Miko, Miko, sorry, Miro, Hayskinen was injured in late January, right like, they knew that Miro Hayscan was iffy to be part of their playoff run, and they still were willing to push in a ton of assets, right Stan Coben multiple firsts to land Rantman, and it was like they understood, I think that, hey, maybe maybe this is a risk that we're not going to be at our absolute best going into the playoffs. Right Like, if we were going to build the most complete team, we'd probably be trying to upgrade our defense, bring in a right handed defenseman to sort of patch the gap as we wait for our best defender to get back into the lineup. And instead they sort of did something similar to what Florida did, I think with the Matthew Kachuck deal, where they were willing to take a short term step back to raise their ceiling for the long term. And this is a Star's team that's been one of those driver class sides, you know, punching above their weight and going deep into the playoffs until they bump into a Coucheravre and ikelera McDavid and end up flat. And they were willing to sort of swing for the fences and landing that op superstar level talent they could sort of bring them to an next even if that came at the expense of sort of their floor in the short terment. And what we're seeing in these playoffs and what I think we're seeing regularly these days, is it's such a star driven league that actually throwing aside like classic ideas about depth and team construction and just focusing on having as many dudes as many you know, math bending, game breaking, superstar level players on your roster as possible. It is kind of what matters most at this time of year, and I think the Stars have been a fascinating sort of test case of where the game is evolving and how star driven it's become, much like the oilers with McDavid and dry Cydle have been across the last few years, and frankly much like the Florida Panthers have been ever since they.
Speaker 4: Acquired Matthew Could Chuck.
Speaker 8: So that's been sort of one of the main major thoughts percolating in my mind as I've watched these Stanley Cup playoffs.
Speaker 4: The product could not be in a better place. I mean, these games are thrilling on a night to night Base.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and you talk about top ten talent coming through McDavid and dry Sttle last night in in overtime. Amazing, Thomas, thanks for this.
Speaker 1: Sir, have a great weekend, gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Du all Thomas grants from the athletic.
Speaker 1: Called furness furnace m hm.
Speaker 3: He also referred to and I meant to ask him this man and will Haulter a genius. So maybe we'll talk about that next week with Thomas a pole question. We'll update it next. And some interesting going ons yesterday. Goings on yesterday at the Canucks season ticket holder get together right ye, some interesting comments from Patrick Calvin. We'll get into that next. Donnie Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 1: Our podcast is brought to you in part by birds Nest Properties, Lower Mainlands leader in rental property management. From finding a tenant to collecting rents and property maintenance. Birds Nest Properties delivers five star property management services with the reviews to prove it. Birds Nest proper parties your Vancouver property managers who take care of everything so you don't have to own a rental property. Give the folks at Bird's Nest Property as a call today six oh four two six to zero double nine, double five, or visit Birdsnest Properties dot C. Waddling Dog whole question.
Speaker 3: Visit one of Victroy's favorite pubs, The Dog, where you can enjoy twenty caps the twenty screens you're home for the Canucks in UFC, Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Rick right got her up the Waddling Dog.
Speaker 1: But pole question, what will your reaction be if Rick Talckett becomes head coach in Seattle? Mah is leading at fifty percent, twenty six percent angry at Tacket and twenty four percent angry at the Canucks. Eight hundred plus votes already.
Speaker 3: As we look ahead to the weekend. Okay, yesterday, yeah, I guess it was last night at Rogers Arena.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Canucks holding a.
Speaker 3: Season ticket holders open house for some very important customers. There's seasons taken again at Rodgers Arena GM Patrick Alvin, I think you know him. He talked to the team's customers and one of the subjects he tackled. And again the audio here isn't great, So we apologize to our podcast listeners.
Speaker 1: I think you'll get the gist picking up.
Speaker 3: The odd word here and there. We've got to scroll though for people watching on television or YouTube except for Twitter. One of the subjects that Patrick Alvin tackled the rift between you know who, j T. Miller and Elias Petterson. We've talked about it a lot, oh so, and we all know it goes back a few years, not this just this past season, which included JT. Miller's departure back to the New York Arrangers. Right, it goes back a few years, but came to a head this season at the start of the season because of and we've heard about this before, because of a conditioning issue.
Speaker 1: J T.
Speaker 9: Miller is a phenomenal hockey player thirty two years old.
Speaker 10: He probably understood that he doesn't get that many more shots to win the Cup. He was extremely prepared coming in and some of the younger guys thought that maybe this is going to be easy, and then maybe they weren't prepared to the same level that he was.
Speaker 4: And that's where things.
Speaker 9: Started to get out of rails a little bit, and unfortunate for JT and in his family had to take a leave of absence.
Speaker 4: At that point.
Speaker 9: We as an organization want to respect there and support players when there is issues.
Speaker 10: In his case, the issues that he had to lead the team.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's yesterday Rogers Arena. We want to give thanks to Ryan at.
Speaker 11: The Sane on Twitter. Okay, he posted multiple videos of Alvin talking.
Speaker 3: About to take it. He's a season ticket hold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's that. We've heard of these conditioning issues. We also heard after the scene there was some sort of incident, maybe triggered by you know it. Look bottom line, it seems like j. T. Miller came into camp. We've heard this in supreme shape, outstanding shape. Here wasn't the case with some of the younger players like Elias Petterson.
Speaker 1: Elias Petterson, he's basically telling you that Miller came to camp in great shape, saw Patterson not in great shape, and it bothered him. Like a season veteran who cares. J T. Miller's care meter is very high. He cares, and he expects everyone to show up to training camp down as a veteran in shape. He didn't see Petterson well.
Speaker 3: Especially one getting paid. Look jump to conclusions here and say the player obviously that was the focus here. The younger player was Elias Petterson. And Ryan and I talked about this before the show and that's an issue I think both of us have. And I think you agree with this younger player. He's twenty six, he's been in the league for what seven season?
Speaker 1: Seven years. I just think these two guys, and let's say one other thing. Don The Miller Petterson feud goes back to Travis Green. It didn't start a camp, no, no, And maybe there weren't conditioning issues.
Speaker 3: They fast.
Speaker 1: These two have had the dislike for quite a few years. It didn't just start this year. But that's good insight. Miller shows up in great shape, Petterson doesn't, and Miller loses it. And then it goes from there.
Speaker 3: And maybe he crossed the line, Like I say, we heard of some sort of like Jim Utherford referred one incident somewhere down the line.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll find out, we'll figure it out someday.
Speaker 3: But I think the lot of the question that a lot of people have to be asking, if you care about the bank curve of Canucks, is this you get handed a massive amount of money, huge and the the the minimum requirement for a pro athlete is to take care of your body. That doesn't seem to be the case here and and and J. T. Miller didn't like it.
Speaker 1: No, he didn't like it. And we live in an era where you coach minor hockey. Kids in bantam now are eating right, they're sleeping right, they're you know, they're making a sacrifice to in the summer, Donnie, not to hang around with their friends. They're making a sacrifice to get better every day in the summer for training camp. If the kids in bantam and the kids in the Western hockey that you're doing it, it should be automatic for NHL players. And it is no excuse this time coming around for Patterson if he's not in shape of this cap oh boy.
Speaker 3: And you'll remember, speaking of Patrick Elvin that around halfway through the season, Patrick Levine sent him hair phrasing here says something to the effect of there was a preparation issue with this Pederson. Now people will push back and say, okay, there was a knee tendonitis issue. So you know, one of these days the story will come up completely. But it seems like there's something to it. If you were to ask JT.
Speaker 1: Miller, and I do like what Peterson did last week. He was asked to go to the World for Sweden and he said no. He says I'm going to get one hundred percent ready for Canuck's training camp. That's where the focus is. He could have gone to the world. He didn't do that, so I think.
Speaker 3: He's Wouldn't it be a good preparation for a hockey player to play hockey? No, no, he said, I want to get I like what he said to Sam a Lamb. He said, Donnie, I want to get one hundred percent healthy for camp. I'd rather have him do that then go to the world, get injured and have another tendonitis and show up to Canucks camp out of shape. But we have another chapter in the Pederson.
Speaker 1: It's never going to rift until the book comes out, Donny, and you know, hopefully we get free copies. But until that book comes out from either Miller or Peterson or someone else or someone else, people know.
Speaker 3: Okay, meanwhile, let's take a tough turn here. Back when I was reporting close to twenty years in the sports.
Speaker 1: Page, going to deal with hockey.
Speaker 3: Players was always a really, really positive experience, and one of the players that I really enjoyed talking to because he always had a smile on his face and he was just a nice guy and really an intelligent, thoughtful and always had the time of day for he was Frank Caprice, former Canucks goaltender, backup goaltender. This is in the eighties. He backed up the likes of Richard Budure at Kirk maclain. He did you know those names? You know them? Well, absolutely, They both got most of the starts and Frank was there a backup. He played six seasons with the Conducks, one hundred and tw NHL games, all with the Canucks. He bounced up and down between the Fredforton Express and the Vancouver Canucks and the Nationalculation. I eventually left the Canuction and then bounced around minor hockey. He played overseas as well. But he's left us. He's passed away at the age of sixty three. So thoughts and prayers to France and family, condolences to everybody who knew Frank Caprice. Well, just a really nice guy and he had some pretty good He had had it one shout out with the Canucks through some pretty lean years in the eighties with the Vancouver Canucks until Pat Quinn got there eighty two aside. He joined them after that the ninth round draft choice and he played NHL games.
Speaker 1: That's pretty special, right, Donny. He wasn't six four sixty five like you see some of the goalies today. He was I don't think he was even six feet tall. He worked really hard to get to where he was in London, Nights to the OHL. But all us, all of us in the eighties watching the Canucks, we all remember Frank Caprice. I just remember him going to Fredericton. Him and Mark Efford used to go to Frederic in the back and he played on some bad teams in Vancouver. By boil boy, Like you said, you got the opportunity to interview, So you know how great.
Speaker 3: Of a person. Third thirty one wins for the Cnnucks makes the NHL as a ninth ronner. God bless Frank Caprice. Let me do some business. It's a tough turn, like I say, and then we'll go to break. May thirteenth, The Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed precision machine shop at a closed custom cabinet shop at the machine shop for y C and precision vertical machining centers, two CNC turning lathes and more at the cabinet shop. Twenty twenty two models, cn C edgebanders, nesting machine, side drilling machine and more. For info in these two business closure auctions in one day, go to able auctions dot Ca to get your business assets sold. Email sales at able Auctions dot Ca, sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. A Rick bonus. He was on the walk and in Canada Pound last night. He'll join us top of the hour, Big Rye next Donnie Dolly the team on check. Love the crack of a baseball bat or the smell of hot dogs?
Speaker 1: The Vancouver Canadians have you covered. Come enjoy a Vancouver summer tradition with three foot hot dogs, sushi races, fireworks and blue Jay prospects, all at the iconic Rogers Field and not Bailey Stadium.
Speaker 3: Visit Canadians Baseball dot com to get your tickets in details on all the summer fun the Seas have to offer.
Speaker 1: That's Canadians Baseball dot Com. Come for the fun and stay for the baseball. I just had a big rye.
Speaker 3: I think this might be from cal and Langley Delaney's Okay, Tyron Langley and all their groove inbox went to the event last night with a friend who has tickets. We're talking about the season ticket holder get together Rogers Arena. There was a sound a sign down by the team gym that recognized the most fit players. Hoglander and Amon were the winners. Sure to think about that.
Speaker 1: Hoglander was announced a training camp as the most fit guy he was and on was up right there? Yeah so Holglander uh talking announced in camp best conditioned athlete.
Speaker 3: Is gonna sign or a plaque that immortalized the player in the worst shape.
Speaker 1: You gotta he got a ribbon the player in the worst shape, the worst shape. No, you can't announce the guy in the worst you are am I right, you're not wor I got I got an email RiPP of me and it just rattled me up. I'm trying to recover from it. And that's we all get emails here, rip. We have very public jobs. We're the only job that during the course of a show that could have we get emails going idiot. Ryan's an idiot. We're the only people in.
Speaker 3: Society that get this. What do we say about athletes? You got to put all that aside and put on a show. Do your best, absolutely focus, focus, big rye one throw at the door for that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Friday.
Speaker 6: You're thinking golf powerwashing bulching, What the hell he's gonna do the garden?
Speaker 1: I got stuff to do. Okay, I gotta go to Rona, So that's more important than the tea. That's not It's not I gotta go to Rona right after the show.
Speaker 11: Big rather the Twitter Guy is brought to you by Suri Mitsubishi.
Speaker 6: May is Outlander plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle days at Suri Mitsubishi this month save up to save up to eight thoy five hundred off their most popular all wheel drive suv.
Speaker 11: The Outlander plug In Hybrid is whisper quiet, fuel efficient, lets you drive electric or gas and can fit seven passengers in three rows of seating. Get a massive eighty five hundred savings until May the thirty first on the Outlander plug In Hybrid at Suri Mitsubishi in store one three eight two zero one fourth Avenue in Siri. Okay, few things to get to first of all this right before our show today, the Lions announcing PC lines It is Big concert announcement is happening on Tuesday, May the thirteenth, my brother's birthday. The BC Lions will be announcing their concert kickoff Headliner happening again this Tuesday, this upcoming Tuesday. They also say lower Bowl ticket's almost gone. Upper Bowl already open at BC Place.
Speaker 6: Of course, last year was a massive success with ll cool J or no sorry, last year was fifty cent right that year, Yeah, last year was fifty cent y Yeah, one republic LL cool J fifty. That's the train of acts that have kicked off the Lion season over the past three years. So this year it's to be determined who will be, but that'll be announced.
Speaker 1: I can do this. If they do it again, I'm gonna lose it. You can't go ll cool Jay in fifty cents. I'm not gonna. I know what they're doing. They're trying to get the young kids. So who do you want? Dexi's Midnight Runners, CCR, John Couger, Springsteen kill him. You know what they should do.
Speaker 3: It might be tough to to get this gentleman he's past, but maybe a tribute to Whaling Jennings.
Speaker 1: Dude, I'm.
Speaker 12: We had a big art before the show, but I'm interested to see who it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: I said to Derek before the show.
Speaker 6: Maybe I'm reading way too much into this, Okay, I might be reading way too much into this. But they posted a graphic recently that said you don't want to miss this, and they underlined miss rolling Stones, miss you.
Speaker 11: Missy Elliott? Maybe who Missy Elliott?
Speaker 1: See again? If they do this, what is it? Missing? Who? Missy Elliott? Missing? Missy Elliott?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So what is that like the early two thousands? I see again. I'm gonna lose it if they do, If they go with classic cross a rap, crap or crap, I'm gonna lose it. You're gonna lose. This is the most energy you've had all. I went to the opener last year, but I show up after fifty Such makes no mistake, Okay, I I have no desire. I don't know any fifty cent songs in the club, in the club in New York and New York. That's it. That's jay Z. New York, New York is not fifty it's Franks. They're gonna lose. You're gonna lose me. You're gonna lose me. They're gonna lose me.
Speaker 11: We'll see tuesday, how.
Speaker 1: About you two? Yeah, that might be expense. Hey you think these other guys aren't expense Thomas Dolby, Yeah, Chililac Pink Floyd, i'd be I know they have played, I know love is good, I know, Hey, I know. And Brian Adams, you know, well why not him? What is coming here in September to Roger's Arena? Go buy your tickets? Love the boy? Are you kidding me? They're sitting there right for it. But he's gonna go with hip hop rap for the young kids, and I think it's wrong if you.
Speaker 3: Want to track the younger Yes, I get it. Nine does the same thing.
Speaker 1: So does it help when their attendance goes from fifty five down to twenty one thousand in the next game? Dot, Well, so you're saying that, So did those young kids after fifty cents? Do they stick around and go to the next line? Are you saying Chiliac would make it? He said Chilo Aac. I didn't say, fine, but I do like chi Chilloac's got some great songs.
Speaker 6: Okay, the other thing we just mentioned Rogers Arena an update saats seat update Rogers Arena posting on Twitter yesterday progress being made on the new seats at Rogers Arena. So here's one section of it. One guy working. It's gonna take him a long time.
Speaker 11: If it's just one dude doing all the seats, Budge kidding of course.
Speaker 6: Uh and uh, there you go, further proof of the beautiful black seats at Rogers Arena. Now I got another photo because you mentioned it the open house yesterday Rogers Arena. Our good pal Clay Imu tweeting out two sections done, a few more to go. So they finished two full sections at Rogers Arena. But that gives you a glimpse of And I gotta be honest, like I've called for this obviously, I'm just over the moon that this is happening. It is going to look weird in Roger's reader.
Speaker 1: It's having all the black seats. It's gonna take an adjustment. What a great take there, because you're so.
Speaker 11: Used to the burgundy, and that's sing the black.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be where they're gonna paint the railings. Okay, So there is the other thing, because the railings are all that burgundy or maroon, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 6: Right now, knowing this organization and the way they in that color they pinch pennies, I can one one hundred percent see them not painting the railings.
Speaker 1: That big issue with the Caducks right now, I can. I can see it. I'm telling railings paints.
Speaker 6: Because it's gonna look, it's gonna glow if they leave them burgundy and don't paint them blue black, whatever you want to paint them, but they have to be you can't leave them burgundy.
Speaker 1: Right and now, again, I don't put it past them. I can one hundred percent see them just leaving honestly. Well, I mean not that I want to do it, but what would it take? Right? No, maybe maybe they's got two months off coming up, coming up. Go over there, knock on the door. Okay, little paint. Can you love painting overalls? Yeah? Your hat the whole thing, right exactly.
Speaker 3: I'll ask you this.
Speaker 1: You can't drave a standard. You've never cut along?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Have you ever painted a house?
Speaker 1: So here's here's what I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 12: I'm going I'm going to attempt to paint for the first time this summer.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna paint. We have window sills that need to be painted at our house. I've watched a few YouTube videos, so I'm gonna fit. I'm gonna watch videos to paint because you can't just you have to do that. So it looks you get some gloves off, you wanna look even So I looked at the brushstroke process, also find out what type of pain, what type of paint I need. I didn't know about this whole how there's different lengths at how long it'll stay wet.
Speaker 1: So I got I gotta get that talking paint here. Yeah, you think in the seventies and eighties we had to look at a video out of paint though, But now everything my good. I watched Painter Drags Home Improvement.
Speaker 3: Last time I painted, and I like doing it. I painted everything in our house pretty much. I joined and I it's been a few years than No Tape club. Well, aren't you The hand is so steady right now that I don't need tape.
Speaker 6: Well you also you also you have ay, no tape plumb, Derek. Yeah, you have the paint like Bob Ross.
Speaker 12: You go around and you you know, like get it on the little easel whatever the the thing is, and then you go painting along.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna you look at video I learn how to paint. I did. I did, because again I don't want to mess it up.
Speaker 6: I want to do it one time, and so I gotta sand it down a little bit, just strokes, and then what's a big deal down it's a window sill.
Speaker 1: You gotta go this way, but you gotta do.
Speaker 3: It evenly to No, just the sill.
Speaker 1: It's just the sills, like four windowsills. I've got. Yeah, I've got a huge project. Baby steps. Man, I'm not gonna go paint painting a tire because now, of course you're get a member of the no Tape clip with the kid like everything's getting dinged up on our walls.
Speaker 6: Like now I got chips, I got scops, I got marks everywhere, food stains everything.
Speaker 11: So I'm not gonna paint the walls.
Speaker 1: I'm just starting with the sills. Steps.
Speaker 11: So if anybody has any tips out there, I appreciate.
Speaker 3: That's a too much.
Speaker 1: That's one of my summer projects. We gotta look at videos for everything now at this point everything, so I look, I love I love I love YouTube.
Speaker 12: Now for that's it's awesome. Now I know my limit too, you know, like I'm not getting crazy.
Speaker 6: So anyway, uh, I had something else because there's more drama with Bill Belichick.
Speaker 11: I don't know if you guys have fallen there from money. We might need to use it for DTMC because it's hot and bubbling.
Speaker 1: Today it's spicy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: But coming up next, we're gonna chat with former NHL head coach, former coach right here in Vancouver, alongside Alain Vino, now TV analysts on sports and T and T Rick Bonus.
Speaker 1: He's next.
Speaker 11: It's Donnie and Dolly. It's the team on Check.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight eight oh two eighty two or email advertise at checkmedia dot ca. Friday at all today's guests, including Rick Bonus, standing by I brought to you by the Bayside Oceanfront Resort. Looking for a midweek escape close to home. BC residents say fifteen percent on weekday stays at the Bayside. I reloxed by the ocean in Parksville, enjoyed great dinning and unwined with island hospitality. Booked now at Bayside Resort, Parksville dot com. We're joined now by former NHL player assistant head coach Rick Bonus and analysts now on TNT and Hockey Night in Canada. We saw him last night working with the panel. What a night that was of NHL playoff hockey, Rick joins us now, Rick, thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 13: That's doing great? My pleasure to join you guys as always, Thank.
Speaker 3: You so much. Five to four Oilers in overtime over Vegas six streat playoff wins for Edmonton. Such great entertainment last night. What do you like about the way the Oils are playing right now?
Speaker 13: Rick, Well, first of all, well, there's a couple of things, obviously, but they're getting very timely saves when they're not playing well. And Picker last night he came up huge at the right times. There was times where Vegas was all over them and he'd saved after safe. The defense in front of them also did a great job of getting sticks on pucks and deflecting them.
Speaker 4: Out of there.
Speaker 13: But they've probably spent a little bit more time in their zone than they have in the previous games, and then they're getting doubles timely goals. They're getting hemmed in their zone for a little bit. Then they're going down and making some great plays and scoring the goals. So right now, it's all about the time we save. They keep you in the game, and the timely goal that gives you your confidence a big boost. So they're playing hard, they're certainly trusting their goaltending. You can see the team committed defensively, and that's from everyone. And the big thing that was so obvious to everyone last night was but listen, McDavid and dry Title certainly did not have their best games, but they did a couple of things defensively to help keep the puck out of their net, and the other lines are scoring the four goals. That fourth line very very impressive. But then when the game was on the line and they needed the big boys to step up, they did. So give them full marks to that. They're finding ways to win. Timely savesman and timely goals makes a huge difference in every game.
Speaker 3: We've been talking a lot about this on and off the air, mostly off the air, but Rick, did you feel for Jack Eichel last night in overtime having to go one on one with Conor McDavid which didn't work out all that well.
Speaker 13: Well, I've got to tell you there's not a forward in the league, not one that you want to see backing up playing defense, skating backwards with the McDavid coming at you one hundred miles an hour, not one, but my point. Every time we played Edmonton, and that's the perfect illustration of it. Someone's got to get up on him and swing with him and get between him and the net, and then just stay with him and slow him down a little bit or push him to the outside. You can't let him come down the wall or down the middle with full speed a defense and would not have been able to stop him last night. He had so much room to skate and gain speed. In a game of his speed and his ability to move louterly, there's no chance anyone's going to stop him, but especially four or forward by Geichel. But I stress all the time when we played Edmonton, somebody to get up on him just trying to get the puck away from him, make them make other plays. And clearly you've got to be a great skater to do that. But that's that is so typical of him. He wants that second or third pass. He doesn't know me want that first pass. He wants that puck coming around the wall, and then they bump it back to him, so he is getting it in full stride and when he gets that thing in full stride again, there's no stopping him again. You do feel bad for echel and but again, find me one forward in this league, Barkov. All the selfie winners, not one of them would want to be in that position. Not one of them would want of the see mc game is coming at them with that much speed.
Speaker 1: Rick, Your old team, the Winnipeg Jets get past Saint Louis, great, great, great Game seven, that was so much fun to watch. But now they take on a Dallas team, it's much tougher. Rick, What kind of problems does that Dallas team pose for Winnipeg.
Speaker 13: Well, everyone wants to for check and be aggressive and finish checks and that's just a given. And playoff hockey, well Dallas does differently than Saint Louis's. They have three lines that can score on the rush. They're very, very dangerous on the rush, highly skilled team. Usually your third line as a checking nine, not that much of an offensive threat. But you've got Wyatt Johnson out there setting your third line. You're in pretty good chief. So the biggest difference between the two again, everyone forsakes, everyone finishes check. That's that's just a given a playoff hockey. But now you're looking at a team that can score off the rush and create chances off the rush, and when they do that, they're very, very dangerous team. So now you've got Now you've got to So I'm a big believer in the rivalries are created in the playoffs. They are all and he's not very happy with his team last game. Uh, this is the first time these two teams have played each other in the playoffs. So as this series goes on, it's going to get a little nast year. It's because I know both teams very well. I know the leadership of both groups are going to lead the way and they're going to get a little bit more physical, because that's the way you can slow those three lives down is make them defend and hit them every opportunity you get. You don't want to be on your heels. You don't want to be letting them come at you. And especially now it goes back to puck management. Don't be don't be feeding their transition game. So this series goes on it's going to get a little nast year. It's going to get a little harder, and that helps win a take because you've got to slow those three lines down. But it's two great hockey teams, two great goaltenders like Jake Ottingers are just a fantastic young goalie. He's got a great goalie coach. And Jeffries. You know what Bucky can do in winn a peg and the flats is a Waitflirt is a wonderful goalie coach. So the goaltending is going to be exceptional and it's going to be the team that can just stay of their identity as much as they can. Winnipeg got their best when they slow you down, when they're getting above you, taking the puck out of your hands, not giving you much time to Dallas is at their best when they're coming at you. It's a four man breakout, it's a four man rush, and they're creating opportunities on the rush. So it'll be it'll be interesting to see these styles. This is going to be great hockey. All the series have been great hockey.
Speaker 1: What about the Maple beliefs up to nothing on the Panthers? Is this the year Rick tell Us tell us, a lot of people of Vancouver don't want to see it, but can they can the Leafs go deep and far here?
Speaker 13: Well yeah, probably not well educated on the Leafs and everyone else up in Canada having spent the winter in Florida. But watching them play, it's just to me, it's a reflection of what they addressed last summer. And they've brought in Chiefs to make them play a different style and more straight ahead style and more physical style. Well that's one thing to say, but now you've got to get the right personnel in there. So now you go get Tanned, go get Carlival, you get Edmund Larson and McCabe, and you got Ben Watt. Now your defense is a lot bigger, and now you can play physical. Now you can keep people away from your net, and now you can defend the way Chief wants them to defend, and you can spend less time in your zone because you can win some of those battles that they were losing over the years and spending unnecessary time in their zone. So they've got the they've got the decor that can take care of those zone. I watched the forwards play. You watch PATRITTI go to the net like they're going to the net with an attitude, and that's It's one thing for a coach. Okay, guys, we've got to go to the net. You got to go to the net. Well, now you've got to go to the net with an attitudes, right, you just can't go there. I'm supposed to go to the net. You've got to have a bit of an edge team. And I see all they're forwards doing that. So they're playing the way Craig wants them to play. So is this the year? You know there's eight with the finals here and any one of them to win the Stanley Cup. You need breaks, you need goaltending, you need timely saves. Then the leads do it, absolutely they can. They've got the team, they've got to depth, and there's so much made of this core for yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know it's going to take a total team effort and they've got to play their team identity right now. They're hard to play against and that's what you have to do in the playoffs. And they're going to play a big, physical, aggressive team tonight and they've better be ready to play on their toes. They better be ready to go right off the back of Florida in that rink with that crowd behind them, They're going to want to establish a four check game early and make it tough on them. So again, this start tonight for Toronto is very important. They could through those first ten minutes and they're going to be if at zero zero, even if they down one, they're going to be.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're talking with Rick Bonus. Rick, you've been around hockey for a long long time. Everybody knows that you're connected to pretty much everybody. Manny Mahultra is somebody you helped coach here in Vancouver during the Connects run to the Cup. As a matter of fact, back in twenty eleven when you were coaching him and he's a coaching head coaching candidate here in Vancouver, did you think yourself, this is a guy who could become a coach himself.
Speaker 13: Yes, most definitely. As a coach, you know you need a couple of venoms on your team that you can go talk to them and get some honest feedback. You know they're not going to tell you you know what you want to hear, and they have insight that can help your team and Manny was certainly one of those guys. You can go talk to him and get what are you seeing, Manny, and you're going to get an honest feedback. And he was very accurate with his description of what he saw and you have to have that. So man he had the respect to the coaching staff, he had the respect of the players. He's a hard working guy, he knows the game, he started the game. There was no question that he was going to become a successful coach. And then I'm not surprised that he's a candidate out there and in good luck to him, but there was no question when when La and I worked with him that okay your spot, guys, and it's goott here. Neil's another guy. So you go back to Ernie. You kind of knew Ernie was going to get into coaching. Man he's the same way. He loved the game. And again the most important thing from that is that you have the respect of your peers and you also have the respect of your staff, the coaching staff. And again, as a coach, I know, you know Sammy Shallow, when Samon's in Bay, you will talk to Sammy Shallow. Man, he'd tell you what he saw and he was accurate with everything. He gave you back. Man, he was like that, what's going on out there? What do you see? And you get it on a feedback and those are the signs to tell you, okay, if he wants to it's a choice. It's a choice, and you want to do the coaching. He'd be a great candidate.
Speaker 3: And he's having a lot of success this season. Is probably the best Cannock story this season, correct the way things are going in abats Ford. Hey, another coaching candidate for the Canucks is Todd Nelson and you've worked with him in the past. That was in Dallas. What I can tell what can you?
Speaker 1: What can you tell us about him?
Speaker 13: But again Todd is it's got a good feel for the game. He's got a great rapport with the players, and that's so important today. You've got to be able to communicate with the players and they've got to know you have their back and you've got to give them the information they want. Today's coaching is there's an art to it, for sure, more so than before. But you've got to be able to communicate your message to the players. You've got to be able to have the honest, one on ones, and you've got to have those conversations, even if the players don't want to hear what you have to say. Those are tough conversations and Todd is very good at that. It's the rapport with the players that is huge, and then giving them a game plan that they all believe in and that they can all buy into. So Nelson Todd knows the game. He's a hard one. He communicates well with everyone. So again I'm not surprised to hear his name out there. He's earned it.
Speaker 3: We're calling the stars jets. Here is your last two teams, the Bonus Bowl by the way Wreck.
Speaker 1: Hey, you do you enjoy the TV work?
Speaker 13: Oh? Yeah I do. I don't want to do it every night, that's for sure, but the odd time is good. Keeps me around the game, and you know, yeah, so I don't. I don't mind it at all. It's fun, you know, when I do the work in T and T. I'm living in Voca Raton. From the winter, it's an easy flight up to Atlanta where the studio is, so that's an easy commute. So and coming up to sports and that's an easy commute. So it's it's been good so far. I don't want to steady steady dying of it, but the odd game here and there works well for me.
Speaker 3: I like that word easy.
Speaker 1: Thanks for this wreck.
Speaker 13: All right, great talking you guys. Good luck. I have a great day.
Speaker 3: All the best. Rick Bonus the Bonus Bowl, his last two teams, the Stars versus Jets. We could go on and on with him about people he's connected to decades. I didn't realize this, but he coached Frank Caprice, who's left us this week at the age of sixty three, when they were both in the Boston organization with the main Mariners. So Rick Bonus just does an outstanding job. Oh, he did an out standing job as a coach. Always as a television analyst, will update the Waddling Dog poll question next Tony Dolly the Team?
Speaker 2: Wh't you Dolly and Dolly?
Speaker 7: The Team is supported by Ableauctions dot ca A Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a.
Speaker 1: Timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email Sales at able Auctions dot ca, dots sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca. Watling dog poll question visit one of Victoria's favorite pumps where you can enjoy twenty caps twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks at UFC. Come sit and stay at the dog. Today is before its circulate. The Seattle Kraken have made or did make Rick talk at a substantial offer.
Speaker 1: He's on the radar. There's no question our waddling dog pup pole question. What will your reaction be if Rick Talckett becomes the head coach in Seattle and forty eight percent saying man, you've got twenty six percent would be angry at Talcket twenty five, twenty six percent would be angry at the Canucks and eleven hundred votes. It's hopping, it's pop and it's not stopping. Look at that.
Speaker 3: But I wonder if people are kidding themselves they think they'd be indifferent towards talking going to Seattle. I'm not criticizing them, but I think there'd be an emotional reaction to him going to Seattle, given what Jim Rutherford said about Rick Talker wanting to work in the.
Speaker 1: East in and here's another one for you. If he signs for five years in Seattle and the crack and passed the Canucks and the standings, what's the backlash going to be? Then, well, you handed Seattle their coach. That's what the backlash is going to be.
Speaker 3: People have said enough about what Facilla, but Colson is doing right now for the for the evanton Oyas I know, he's onlyly paid nine minutes last night, but nobody would have guessed that. Hey, abbots Ford Cannucks. Just recapping what we talked about in our first segment. They host Coachella Valley tonight.
Speaker 1: Rick, Absolutely, they went tonight. They're going to play Colorado in the Western Conference Final. And then all of a sudden, Donnie, you're one step away from the Calder Cup and the last Canuck team to go to the Calder Cup Travis Green and Utica. Remember Greener, you got him into the final, your buddy, I guess what are you talking about? Travis is a good friend of mine. I'm not gonna hide from that fact. He trying to get him on the show.
Speaker 3: You're on that. So if habits for the losers tonight, Game five will be Sunday if needed. And that leads to what we talked about in the first segment. Manny Mahultra, obviously a candidate, seems like he would be to replace Rick talk at his head coach of the Abbits for connection. We found out the banker for Canucks. We found out also in the last twenty four hours that Marco Sturm has emerged as a possible candidate head coach of the Ontario Rain, also of the American Hockey League. Unlike Manny Mahoultra and the Abbts for Canucks, though, Marco Sturam and his team a disappointment in the PLAYFFS. I got knocked out by San Jose.
Speaker 1: A lot of American Hockey, the coaches the Canucks are interviewing Don but it just makes doesn't make sense. And I'll tell you why. If you pick another guy over Manny, he's gone.
Speaker 3: He's gone.
Speaker 1: You know. Okay, let's say this, Marco Sturm. You think Manny's gonna say, Hey, they just signed a guy in my league who's not as good as I was this year, see you later audio some egos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'd think so anyway, although Manny's such a nice guy, he'd probably be like, oh, I understand and yeah, but yeah, we'll see what happens if that doesn't need happen. I just wanted to go over this very quickly. I know we haven't got much time, but there are some people on social media and I think you're like this as well, criticizing Jack Echel for his one on one efforts. We got the video here, Derek Ryan one on one efforts versus Conor McDavid in overtime. There are the best players, well, Connor McDavid is arguably the best player in the world, but the best defenseman in the world would have a hard time taking on Conor McDavid at full flight like Jack Eichel did yesterday. That's a tough, tough ask. I mean, this is the best player in the world. I remember Morgan Riley getting beaten similarly to this, although from the other in Toronto a few years ago, and we had him on the show right after that and he said, guys, are you kidding me? Nobody could stop that when he's in full flight one on one. It is really tough, especially a forward is not used to especially four, a forward not used to skating backwards.
Speaker 1: Shaye Theodore just got beaten Game one by Brown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: It happens. This is every single player's forward or defenseman's nightmare is when Connor McDavid picks up speed just like Paple Burry used to and go goes through the neutral zone. You're going back, You're going back. This guy attacks. It is a nightmare to defend this guy.
Speaker 3: Dog. Maybe he should have tackled him. That was suggested as well. I mean, what else are you gonna do? Okay. Also, just before you get to some business, White Caps Sunday against l FC at BC places they try to continue their sizzling hotways business.
Speaker 1: Star right check out the largest selection of sports member billy autographed items, trading cards and collectible games of Western Canada. Past Time Sports. Look at this. I'm looking forward to this. They May eighteenth Pastime in Langley, two Legends and Taller Mike Madano and Theo Flurry in store. Signing. Details on this event, upcoming signings and card drops available at Pastime Sports dot you and on their social channels.
Speaker 3: Laptop All right.
Speaker 1: From the laptop.
Speaker 12: The Stanley Cup is still there, the mini replica and also changing up the upper deck sp edition of the twenty twenty four to five cards featuring Austin Matthews on the front Leafs and Action leaf fan.
Speaker 1: What's up with the leaf stuff? Are you serious?
Speaker 3: I tweeted out last night. Are you right? Who would win an Oilers Jets the Stanley Cup Final?
Speaker 1: Oiler's Leafs? What I say is, yeah, it wouldn't be able to jest Jet's Western but Oiler's leaf Stanley Cup Final and a lot of response there. They're both they're both teams up to nothing in their respective series. It could happen, Yeah, it could happen Boil Boy Edmonton Toronto in the final.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I'll tell you what. It wouldn't surprise me if that happened. Maybe you wouldn't like it, folks, but it would probably be really entertaining given what's happened so far in the selicuplass Man every night is just so good.
Speaker 1: We're good. DTMZ is next Donnie telling the team one love golf, but hate the rain. Hideout Golf is now open, located in the Sands Hotel on Davy Street. Hideout Golf is your new go to golf simulator bar, perfect for everything from casual rounds to competitive play.
Speaker 3: Hideout Golf has an exclusive offer for Donnie and Dolly listeners. Get twenty five percent off simulator time for your first booking. Just use the promo code Dad Dad twenty five.
Speaker 1: That's Dad Dad twenty five. Ready to t up your next night out? Book now at a Hideout Golf dot C eight.
Speaker 3: Day.
Speaker 1: It's eleven thirty two on a Friday morning, Donnie Doli on check TV. Not time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Swissler Golf Club coach you big al out. Great track, great track.
Speaker 3: Let me just say this before I continue. You're gonna look so so much forward to a Are you gonna be so happy with our music selection today?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I'll just say that. DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Designs. The golf club excited to get going for twenty twenty five. It kicks off today right the twenty twenty five season at the Whistler Golf Club. Tea times for any time during the twenty twenty five campaign can't be booked online now wor'stergolf dot com and if you've got a group of twelve or more, tell them about your group with wistergolf dot com forward slash groups. I wanted to talk about Kanye and what he was up to this week, Kanye with Peers morganer Hey. I saw that. But Ryan has convinced me to go with this story. It's hot, it's hopping, it's popping, it's not stopping. More Bill Belichick drama, More Jordan Hudson drama. The University of North Carolina has denied that it has banned Jordan Hudson, girlfriend of Bill Belichick, from its football facility, in response to report from Pablo Tore. He's from ESPN correct Pablo Torre. On Friday, North Carolina issued a statement saying that Hudson is welcome at all team facilities, but Tory pushed back on unc statements, saying that he stands by the reporting, noting it came from the highest levels of.
Speaker 1: The football program. We got that clip right, just said it up.
Speaker 11: This is from Pablo's podcast, Pablo Torre finds.
Speaker 14: Out there you go two sources at the University of North Carolina telling me that there has been a decision was made last week by the higher ups inside the athletic department that AT hired Bill Belichick to be the highest paid public employee, not just coach, in the state of North Carolina at ten million dollars a year, and that decision was that Jordan Hudson is no longer allowed in the football building. She is not allowed on the football field.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 14: Don't think you'll be hearing much from Jordan moving forward. The second update is that Bill Belichick's family, uh oh, is extraordinarily concerned about what has transpired. One Belichick family source told me, quote, there is deep worry for how detrimental Jordan can be for not just North Carolina, but Bill's legacy, reputation, everything he has built and worked for over decades end quote. In fact, the family has been digging into Jordan Hudson as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's some juiciness surrounding her, her mother. You can you can you can look look that up. But also there's there's this Apparently Bill Belichick has reached out to at least one outside public relations specialist for a new image consultation. He's seventy three, She's just out of kindergarten.
Speaker 12: I think okay, okay twenty four Yeah, and Pablo Pablo Pablo has a whole bunch of other details on his podcast which he dropped today. He's apparently talked to like eleven different people that were involve this. But all this stuff beyond like the CBS interview which we talked about, but also her, she's forced her way into multiple commercials with involving Bill, like essentially like you don't get Bill unless you also have me.
Speaker 1: But she's going on the field and talking to her.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And if you've ever been at a football practis you do anything to distract any coach or any player, you're gonna I trust me, I know you're gonna hear about it.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's just it's what is he doing?
Speaker 6: This started as something not so bad, like she was apparently looped in on emails and stuff like that, and that's fine like that.
Speaker 1: With that, I thought, Okay, maybe he's not tech savvy so I could get helped out. That's the point.
Speaker 3: FII.
Speaker 1: With that, that's no problem.
Speaker 12: But the way she chimed in on that CBS interview, like a lot of people point out a PR person one of their biggest duties is not to get involved in the interview, and she got involved in.
Speaker 3: The internew what happened when she got involved in the view. She got attention.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but it's a world wine. But it's been a horribly bad look.
Speaker 1: She's just a major discription.
Speaker 3: It's just well for somebody who just seemed to shun all attention, I know, to the point where it became funny. The pictures on the beach, him doing yoga, yoga, Yeah, what I know.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: He was the guy famous get me wrong, famously talking.
Speaker 6: About snapface right to the media in New England, and.
Speaker 3: Now he's all over snapface.
Speaker 6: And then when CBS asked him about his social media profile, he was basically like, yeah, I don't want to talk about that.
Speaker 1: And it's like, but you know it's going out to the people, right like I don't.
Speaker 12: The whole situation is bizarre, and Pablo has uncovered some stuff that with the family and.
Speaker 3: Whatever whatever the University of North Carolina has done in order to maybe pull things back. I believe it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, because I could see them also being pissed. As Pablo says he's getting ten million a year, he is your family paying football focus football, Yes, focus, Yes. Good luck to Bill. There's two kids.
Speaker 11: Hopefully they figure it out and have a nice long life together.
Speaker 3: Six birthdays on May ninth again opening day whist the Golf Club. The line is set at six by Al Honker and Company Honker and Company Nasal Spray Warehouse at Casino in Wainwright, Alberta. Special low to for Ratio and Harry Honker. Here we rock and roll a hockey Hall of Fame center. Born in Cranbrook now GM of the decret Redwings. Steve Eiser or as you said, Ken Holland.
Speaker 1: Born in Cranbrook. Yeah, he moved at a very young age. He was in Cranbrook and then moved to Autawater very young. Listen, buddy, you said just stop and just stop. Moved to Ottawa a very young age. I think it was to be exact in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Ken Holland was there as well. Actually, Ken Holland probab.
Speaker 1: Come on now.
Speaker 3: Undrafted retired NHL d man from Alberta played junior in the eighties for the Leftbridge Broncos. Helped the North Stars get to the ninety one Stanley Cup Final. Also played for the Rangers in Caps. His son Jared also defenseman. I need a first name mark.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 11: Suspicious.
Speaker 3: Undrafted former NHL center played junior hockey for the Clona Rockets. Played fourteen NHL season seven with Nashville five with Dallas does a mean impersonation of.
Speaker 1: Kevin b Findlick Fiddler. That's suspicious. I didn't get it to that.
Speaker 11: Clue.
Speaker 3: Singer, songwriter, piano player from Long Island.
Speaker 1: You should get her Billy Joel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nope, Ken Holand anyway, seventy nine year old actress. She played the title role in Murphy Brown also starred in Boston Legal. Her father, Edgar was his successful than til Kandesberg.
Speaker 1: Great actors.
Speaker 3: Also, I've heard an episode of Seinfeld. Late Baseball Hall of Fame right fielder from California, played all twenty of his MLB seasons for the pod Race eight times. No, uh, okay, there's no way you did it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know Tony Gwinn podres legend. Are you how many? How many pod Legends are out there? Tony gwyn one of the greatest hitters of all time? You know that number?
Speaker 3: Nineteen? Yeah, they've retired as retired his number they just gifted the Blue Jays World Series where the trade for Joe Carter trade Joe Carter. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Time you didn't like them.
Speaker 3: You're the big baseball guy.
Speaker 11: Not not a big baseball guy.
Speaker 3: Really? Uh?
Speaker 1: This weekend in Seattle.
Speaker 3: Well apparently there's tickets Ville. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's too bad.
Speaker 3: The people of Seattle, the businesses in Seattle not happy, not happy, pretty happy with Trump these days.
Speaker 1: The hotel is not being occupied.
Speaker 3: Discounted tickets and.
Speaker 1: The Canadian money apart, Yeah, Canadian money. All those people talk a big game about it. Oh, Canadians invade Seattle?
Speaker 3: All right, No, because we've heard from the infaness and a lot of other people in Seattle that it was a love hate religious bid time big to hate all these Canadians coming down here, obnoxious Blue Jays fans.
Speaker 11: You own a business, they buck up exactly?
Speaker 1: Hotels? All right?
Speaker 3: Billy Swan is it just me's coming up? But Billy Swan? This is probably Billy Joel is seventy six?
Speaker 1: How do you get this wrong? I got my Billy's big Billy Swan. Who the hell's Billy Swan?
Speaker 3: Boy? Oh my gosh, how do you not know that.
Speaker 1: How do you if if you're going to go Billy Joel, go Billy Joel, don't go Billy.
Speaker 3: Swan Billy Joel seventy six and He's Gonna play us out November seventy three, and the album was the same name, He's Gonna Be Okay.
Speaker 1: It brings tears.
Speaker 3: This is the great Billy Joel and piano wont man your favorite song of all time? It's my favorite song on check quick with the joke or to light up your smoke.
Speaker 1: On a BC Friday morning?
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: His next donion telling the team it's not check.
Speaker 15: Oh, it's nine o'clock gone on a Saturday. Irregular crowd shuffles in.
Speaker 3: It's Outlander plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Days at Surrey Mitsubishi.
Speaker 1: This month get up to eight thousand and five hundred off their most popular all wheel drive SUV, the Outlander plug In Hybrid.
Speaker 3: The Outlander plug In Hybrid is whisper quiet, fuel efficient, lets you drive electric or gas, and can fit seven passengers in three rows of.
Speaker 1: Seating, cruise, pass traffic and h OV lanes even when driving solo, and again save up to eight thousand, five hundred.
Speaker 3: Visit Surrey Mitsubishi at one three eight two oh one hundred and fourth Avenue, Surrey, or online at Surrey Mitsubishi dot CA. A offer ends May first. Is it just being on a Friday? Rick rock and Roll?
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to Adam the former Bath guys, it's just me. But if Rick Talkin becomes the next the next head coach of the crack and you guys could probably get him as a regular on the show. That's a great point. Rick and Seattle once a week on Donnie and Dolly every Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Music, the whole bit.
Speaker 1: We don't get him now, we didn't get him with the Canucks. We can get him in the Seattle go again. I'm a little behind here. Okay, Hey the Lions. I like this one. The Lions should have Michael Bublay as the opening guy. Burnaby raised in a friend of the show. What a great submission that Booble would work.
Speaker 3: With that cater to the kids, with Michael cater to the kids. Well, does he not, Missy Elliott Wood?
Speaker 1: Does he not sell out every stadium in rink? He does?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm all for it. Love the guy regular on our show.
Speaker 1: Sort of from Surrey, Troy.
Speaker 3: Is it just me? I have no love for Vegas, but the non call in Arvidson against McNabb was total bull crap, especially when Vegas had to kill off a five minute penalty earlier in ot UH. The embellishment call and Rodriguez in the other series You can keep it going here was was pretty bad. It's just so dangerous, and I agree with Troy and that when I first saw this, well that's a penalty for sure, you know, because it's just such a dangerous play. You know, people are talking about him kind of holding him up with his hand, but he puts a stick between his legs. It's a really, really a dangerous play. And I just thought it would get called because of the five minute power play that Vegas had to kill off earlier in the overtime, But it didn't get caught. The rest is history. Evanton goes on.
Speaker 1: To by the way, the NHL, uh, the he is not looking into this player safety. You have player safety. They're not going to look into that. Or the cross check to the face, they're not getting looked at. I thought that was getting looked at. No, No, it is. The cross check to the face is okay, But this one isn't boom boom? Well double check that double checked by Roy the cross check face. Absolutely okay? What else? Amar Doman is a great owner, appealing to the younger paying generation, not the overhill cheap skates, especially hand out cheap skates like you guys.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Just taking a little bit of a shot at you and I, Donnie and Ryan and right Connor and Abbey? Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Can we stop with the American Hockey League coaches? Bring in an established guy for this group? EP forty isn't going to listen to an AHL guy? That's Connor.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point, is it. He's your boss, he's your coach. You listen to him. He's gonna not listen to Did he listen to Rick talking? When Rick Talkin announced to the media every week to move your feet done?
Speaker 3: Well, maybe at this point he's not capable of doing that. Or maybe it's the knee knee tend to night is kynomax?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Who better to coach a European team like the Canucks? The Marco Sturam it's a fit, right.
Speaker 1: Rick, Yeah, Marco Sturm getting a look in Vancouver, But he's an American league coach. If there's only one American League coach, they should be the hiring. It's down the highway.
Speaker 3: Some fun with that, Yeah, I know, you know he's saying that a lot of Europeans on non Canadians on the team and be perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, there's two Canadians on the Canucks roster. They better add some Canadian content this summer? Done? Are all going to be choked? H Jeeves from Surrey? You wanted me to read this? Is it just me? But if talk it becomes the crackets? Crackets? The Krakens next head coach? Would he get a video.
Speaker 3: Tribute during his first game back?
Speaker 1: Even what whatever team he's coaching, Does he get the video tribute? Yeah? I would think he would, wouldn't he? Donnie? He was here for a cup of tea? Yeah, but you tribute a cup of teas? No guys that have been here for a cup of tea? I don't think so. A pretty successful playoff run. They made him a huge offer and he said, no, are you gonna give him a video tribute? Who talk it?
Speaker 12: He'll get a He'll get a welcome back, That's what he'll get.
Speaker 6: I don't he probably he probably won't get a full on. I mean, how do you do a tribute for a coach players? I get there's you know, goals and six practice.
Speaker 3: Hold on a second, here, there's the video of him high fiving the fans two and a half seconds half wins. That was five and a half. They they're behind the bench, they're at practice.
Speaker 1: It's not just about games. But what are they doing that? Why are you yelling at players?
Speaker 3: Like? Why do you get so upset?
Speaker 1: I just don't don't yell? Or I got an email saying, don't yell Ryan.
Speaker 12: By the way, the Canucks open house last night, there's a lot of you could go down to tour the facility and the locker room and the weight room.
Speaker 1: All of the talk is still on the wall. Brace the heart, Embrace the heart. Pressure coach comes in, they'll go down pressure with pressure.
Speaker 3: Did we ever see t shirts will embrace the heart? No? At least.
Speaker 1: Number five was selling them for some time. Number five, Number five my favorite place in the eighties. Okay, listen, I gotta get this in. Are you go quick? Ryan should watch Karate Kid and learn how to paint side to side, up and down, BM and Penticton, Donnie karate Kid. Remember mister mcgamy, what was his name is Embracing the Heart Donnie? What was his name? The teacher in Karate Kid, mister mcga uh ha, Miyaggi, mister Miyaggi, And he was teaching the karate kid how to paint on that fence. It's a great, but I'm not painting a fence. I'm painting a window sills the way mister Miagga, what is it, Miaggi? The way he was teaching the the karate Kid. It was great. I get it, but I'm not painting ro karate Kid. Great, great, great movie it was. It was a massive hit in the eighties. You want to learn about painting?
Speaker 3: What's the karadis?
Speaker 1: From Yaggi.
Speaker 3: We'll wrap up the week to show the pull question next Tonian Delay the Timo check. The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally since nineteen ninety one and has since built its reputation as one of Victoria's.
Speaker 1: Favorite watering holes.
Speaker 3: With twenty TVs, twenty local and domestic taps, and over two hundred seats, the Wabbling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views and an unbeatable daily happy hour from four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and important products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities, and only ten minutes from the airport and ferry terminal, there are countless reasons to come, sit and stay at the Waddling Dog. Yeah, the campaign continues to get Patrick Carnandez. We haven't seen this day before. Patrick Carnandez nineteen seventy nine hit Born to Be Live, played on a regular basis and Rogers were in it. Maybe they could introduce this along with the new seats at the start of the next Canuck season. Those people they love it.
Speaker 1: Is that a cane? Yeah, Patrick Soldier? Yeah, I think he always had the cane though. It's like when it was entertainment. Yeah, yeah, don't mess with Patrick. It's a great show. It gets you hopping and bobbing like that, Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: He kind of looks like Billy Crystal he does. He does, Doc Paul Rick Ryan, get it up, Kine, get it up. The waddling dog Ryan, the pole. I know they are wattling dog polite. We're running out of time. We gotta show a picture.
Speaker 1: What will your reaction be you Rick talk it becomes the head coach in Seattle? Forty seven percent really don't care, uh, twenty six percent angry at Talcket, twenty six percent angry at the conects. Twel hundred vot'es.
Speaker 3: Ready got some photos.
Speaker 1: So I got a birthday first, Happy sixty fifth birthday to former Victoria Shamrock and Coquitlam player Kelly Bryant. That was sent to us today.
Speaker 3: Happy six five, Yeah, sixty five A good birthday, right?
Speaker 11: We made it overseas.
Speaker 1: No, we're not going overseas. How could this be overseas? I give you a head a shake, run. I don't know Matt in Langley. That's Matt right there, very foggy, Peggy's cove in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Look at that Matt from cal Or, from Langley, not in Langley in Peggy's cove. Very nice photo. And has you got Donni and DOLLI merchant? Yeah, he's got Donnie and Dolly hoodie on. I think that's a Donnie, you know. I don't think it's a hat. I don't think. No, it's a but Ryan, it's the Yeah, but the hat. The lighthouse is Darnia Dolly. Yes, beautiful lighthouse. Okay, can we get this one? Jerry and Maple Ridge. I got hold on here. That's in prep page. I know, I know, I know, but I gotta.
Speaker 3: Okay anyway, Jerry uh writes in from aple Ridge, Hi, don thought you might want to see my lacrosse stick. And it's not just a lacrossetick. It's an old wooden lacrosse stick from back in the day, signed by the late great Jack beyond best lacrosse player I've ever seen, skill wise anyway. How nice is that? And Jack Beyonda was not only arguably the greatest lacrosse player of all time, but he also played in the National Hockey League two sports Stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, put that in your pipe?
Speaker 3: And thanks?
Speaker 1: Did you use wooden sticks?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Okay, I'm old.
Speaker 1: I just asked you the question.
Speaker 3: Logan was the big name etchy to go?
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You guys aren't idiots, If anything, you're more comical. Love the show, all three of you. You make me laugh. Robin Victoria, that's good that you got that.
Speaker 3: And thanks Rob.
Speaker 1: It's self serving, Aaron, Aaron self fan? Is it just me? I don't like the white out?
Speaker 3: It makes fans in Winnipeg look like they're rooting for the other team. You know what, I'll think on the other day that, no, we shouldn't do the white out. Where did it start?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure the origins.
Speaker 3: Why why? I guess back in the day they wore the white uniforms at home.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Well, I know one of.
Speaker 1: Our great listeners or they will know. Viewers will know. We have the smartest listeners and viewers anywhere.
Speaker 3: Okay, By the way, Kevin and Clone, is it just me? If I talk to my boss the way Ryan talks to you guys, I'd be getting a video tribute on my way out. Bang on Kevin and have yourself a great weekend. Week kid, of course, have yourself a great weekend, folks on behalf of Ryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and check I'm done. You have to date in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dollie for all the latest show content.