Speaker 1: Welcome to the Big Blue Insider. It is a Thursday. Dick Gabriel with you. I am actually tied up working the Boys, Sweet sixteen and Rapperina, So please enjoy the best of the Big Blue Insider. Taking you back to the night after the Wildcats knocked off Oklahoma. Find a huge effort from Otaga. Ohway, here is the best of the Big Blue Insider.
Speaker 2: Calls for Oway to come out.
Speaker 3: He takes the hand off, always got it.
Speaker 1: Goes to his left, down the lane, angles right, flips it up, go dead.
Speaker 4: With six seconds to play, here comes Oklahoma.
Speaker 5: Fierce drives into the lane, goes for the rams, clock by Garrison, picked up by Prayer.
Speaker 2: Oh my hero's on the clock, and the Cats get out of Oklahoma on the WD. What U when Otaga.
Speaker 3: Always saves the day against his former school. That is the way it ended last night, A crazy finished to Kentucky, Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Big Moon Insider. Dick Gabriel with you.
Speaker 3: But with a men's game last night and finishing the way it did, we got to start talking about that, because wow, what a game. And I both listened and watched. I listened to Jack and Tom in the first half in the postgame, listening to TV in the second half, as I often do, just because sometimes people get online and complain about the TV coverage. I want to know what they're talking about. But I can tell you this, going back and listening to the last part of the game, I always say this, nobody has more fun working these games than Jack Gibbons. Yeah, we miss our buddy Mike Pratt, but Jack took over when we lost Mike and has done doing just an incredible job, as you knew he would. But you know, and he talked with us on the show a couple of weeks ago. He said, UK and JM I the right tolder the UK network people. They understand that Jackson fan first when he was doing Orlando Magic games, when he worked with me on high school games way back in the day, in Transylvania games and things like that.
Speaker 2: Of course he was.
Speaker 3: A broadcast first, but his beloved Wildcats being what they are, man, and in a game like that. I mean, as I was listening to the game unfold and I could just see Jack just twitching in his chair because things weren't always going well. The boy did they ever down the stretch as the Wildcats pulled it out.
Speaker 2: A huge win on the road.
Speaker 3: Any conference win, you know this, any conference win is big. A conference went on the road is huge. And the way the Wildcats had a lead, let it get away came back, had to lead, let it get away, had to come from behind late with people in foul trouble and no Jackson Robinson in the second half.
Speaker 2: You look pretty good for being kind of.
Speaker 3: Rusty in the first half but apparently aggravated the risk. But Lamont Butler came through, played well and in fact, Jack Gibbons talked to him after the game. Oh he was back talking to the rest of the media. It was Brandon Garrison, but Jack talked to Lamont Butler for the first time in forever on the post game show.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you how good it is to see you back off the floor, man.
Speaker 6: I feel even better to be out there playing with my guys.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: I just you know, uh, you know.
Speaker 6: Last couple of weeks, I've just been you know, working itching the play and you know, they they've done a great job. You know, even when I was out, you know, I was glad I was.
Speaker 8: Able to contribute today.
Speaker 2: You had a great effort by everybody.
Speaker 6: You got to got the win, man'll take away.
Speaker 4: How do how do you keep a guy going like that? I know you have to get him the ball, but we also know the defenses trying their best not to let him get it. How do you guys keep a guy like that going?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, I mean I think in the first half he had you know, got to got to the lane and just missed a couple of easy ones, you know, a couple.
Speaker 8: Of tough shots.
Speaker 6: The second half, I you know, I tried to get him going to them easy shots.
Speaker 2: I got him the one.
Speaker 6: Three at the at the wind, got him going there, and I got him kick ahead, you know, just lay up, and you know, from there he was going. You know it, don't it don't take much to to start him, you know, start scoring and stuff like that. So after that he just took over the game. And you know, I'm glad guy he was able to do that for.
Speaker 2: Him, I would say so.
Speaker 3: And Butler only played about twenty minutes. He did have the foul trouble, of course, but he was effective, wasn't he when he was in there. He was a guy who needed to at times calm the Wildcats down, needed, as he said, to help oh Way, get going, look for him on offense, fed him, Hey, how about the steal, and then the feed when Oway took it in late from the slam.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Lamont Butler after.
Speaker 3: Getting into foul trouble. Played only twenty minutes, had one Bucket missed his only three point try, but five for five from the line, which is where the Wildcats won the game. Four rebound, six assists, and only three turn Well that's a lot in twenty but three turnovers. But I mentioned free throws because when you look at the numbers and you may have already done this. Wildcats didn't have as many field goals, didn't have as many, but beat Oklahoma at the free throw line. There's always the requisite whining about officiating on social media. But Kentucky outshot Oklahoma was eighteen and twenty four from the line. Car missed a couple late. Oh that killed me. Oh Way missed one as well. But the Cats eighteen of twenty four, Oklahoma just twelve of seventeen and missed the front end at least once. So that's where Kentucky won the game at the line. On the road, Oklahoma had ten of twenty five from three, not a great three point shooting team, but something got into the Sooners. Cats were seven to twenty three. Oklahoma had a slight advantage on the boards thirty four to thirty one, but still Kentucky grounded out and.
Speaker 2: Got the win.
Speaker 3: And Tom Leech talked to Mark Pope about the game about Otega Ohway and the fact.
Speaker 2: That he scored twenty one of twenty.
Speaker 3: Three down the stretch the Wildcats, including eighteen straight and you may never see that again.
Speaker 4: Otega always scores the final eighteen points at the game.
Speaker 2: Ever have a player to take over a game like that, No, I.
Speaker 9: Thought it was really an incredible effort, especially since his first thirty two minutes were so incredibly shaky. You know, there was a lot of frustration rolling around our team, and then Otaga was super frustrated.
Speaker 8: You know, it wasn't his fin as thirty two.
Speaker 7: But the one thing about Otaga that we've learned over the season is that like he just he always is kind of just around the corner from making huge plays, and so sometimes you just.
Speaker 2: Kind of have to keep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's got to look away.
Speaker 7: But man, what an epic response by him, Like it was an unbelievable performance from him down the stretch.
Speaker 3: You gotta think, oh, he might have been pressing physically, mentally, whatever, being back in Oklahoma, but he caught fire at the right time. Brandon Garrison had a solid game. They don't win without it. They really don't win without any of them. But Garrison coming back after transferring in from Oklahoma State was vital. And those are the two guys that spoke to the media afterward.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't there.
Speaker 3: I would have a comment from Ohway, but there's some postgame on YouTube you can barely hear. Oh wait, I don't think his microphone was working. They had Brandon, Pope and Oway, and Brandon had his little girl with him, and I think it was a little girl. You heard you heard the child every now and then. But when Oway did speak, and he's got that deep, soft voice, but still, I don't think his mic was on, So I didn't have a chance to pull anything off and share it with you.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what a game man.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight points, twelve out of twenty one, three or five from the line, six rebounds, four turnovers, thirty two minutes. Just amazing, you know, played the most minutes. Kobe Brea thirty five. He was only one for six from three point land. They did a great job Oklahoma did of running him off the ark, but otherwise he was two for four, had a couple of free throws, seven rebounds and three assists. Amari Williams in foul trouble most of the evening, played only nineteen minutes at three rebounds and eight points and three assists. That was huge and they kept breaking it down on TV is passing to the Cutters going through. So a huge win for the Wildcats with Auburn coming to town. Auburn last night destroyed Ole Miss by thirty points. That was about the only thing in the league that went as you might have thought it would. You might have thought Kentucky would beat Oklahoma, but did you expect a game like that?
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody did. How can you? It was a great ballgame.
Speaker 3: And if you watch the SEC network, Dane Bradshaw was actually in studio, they said for the first time in about eight years, former Tennessee guard along with Pat Bradley, and they just raved about oh way. They said, that was one of the greatest performances they've ever seen and one of the great games you'll see this year in the Southeastern Conference. But Vanderbilt upsets A and M. You saw this, you're trying to watch the Kentucky game.
Speaker 2: That game wouldn't end the.
Speaker 3: Vandy holds on. That was nineteen wins now for Vandy. So the Kentucky loss, you still regret it if you're Kentucky, but doesn't look quite as bad, does it. And Arkansas beats Texas, finishes the sweep of the Longhorns. I'm telling you that team is better off without Boogie Flan and maybe they would have figured things out, but this really expedited the situation because they had to develop more balance and they've done it. So Arkansas now squarely on the bubble about that with a win over Texas. Now while we're talking about the stretch run and Shawn Woods brought this up with me last week. I'm going to talk to him on Friday. We couldn't talk to Sean or our Western Bureau chief Gary Moore because of the game last night, but we'll talk to both of them on Friday show. But Saint John's Saint John's wins on the road, and again it's weird, but it's a big East game. With Butler in hinkle Field, House, Historic hinkle Field House. Saint John's wins at seventy six to seventy last night, and the Johnnies can clinch the program's first outright League title since nineteen eighty five this Saturday against Seaton. Right now, they're sharing the crown with Creighton. Saint John's will beat seton Halls. You know it's not very good. Saint John's is his first time since ninety two that they've gotten a share of the Big East title. But eighty five is the last time Saint John's wanted outright. That was the year that Saint John's played in the Final four with two other Big East teams right here in lexingon the other teams Villanova and Georgetown, and those are the teams that played for the national championship. But Patino's got Saint John's right where he said you would have them. Maybe you're watching Red Storm Rising, the documentary series. But he's getting it done with the team kind of wins, ugly wins, with defense. He'll tell you, not a really good offensive team, not a good shooting team, but they've come from behind and wins and they've gotten it done. Maybe it doesn't make the Final four but it will get into the postseason, it will get into the NCAAs, and it will win. I think at least a couple of games. I've had a chance to watch them a couple of times. They are dangerous.
Speaker 1: Or to come on the Best of the Big Blue Insider here on six thirty wlap. Hey, it's Dick Gabriel. This is the Best of the Big Blue Insider. I am busy working with the boys sweet sixteen, so I'm taking you back to a day we did some interviews with the football wiltcatch, including a brand new offensive lineman. On the Best of the Big Blue Insider, talk about unique.
Speaker 3: Chaiyaze Pete, an offensive lineman, likely the starting left tackle six' eight, three twenty one senior transfer From New Mexico State. University he's a full Blooded Navajo Native. American played three seasons well kind of At New Mexico. State sat out as a, freshman played as a red shirt freshman in twelve, games started nine and after that started fifteen as a sophomore six games last, year but sat out the back half of the season with an. Injury and he came through the portal and you might recall he was the Guy kentucky was waiting. On you might have heard, that, well the portal traffic may be, done but there's one guy they're waiting, on or at least one old. Lineman and this was the. Guy and for whatever, reason other teams, dawdled, apparently And kentucky was, there and he cast his ballot basically chose The. Wildcats and today he talked to us about why he chose to be In.
Speaker 5: LEXIDON i feel like a lot of other universities WERE i guess not taking, seriously or the ship had already said for a lot of, them But kentucky still offered their. Hand And Coach stoops as a, statesman he is a very genuine, man AND i placed a lot of my trust into him in my final, Decision in my final decision with.
Speaker 10: Him how much was the relationship With Coach wolford a part of that?
Speaker 5: Too my relationship with, Him, YEAH i mean, it it started at the, end at the start of the. Year he's he lives up to his. Name he's, wolf he's, cunning he's, keen he's pretty. SHARP i LIKE i like that about.
Speaker 11: Him there's a lot of guys From los bruss that went To vanderbilt did did did?
Speaker 8: They did they try to pull you that direction as?
Speaker 5: Well actually toured At nashville OR i did an official. Visit it was good to see MY i, guess my former coaches, there former. Teammates it was good to, reconnect but it just wasn't the right fit for me in terms of their offensive, scheme AND i JUST i wanted SOMETHING i guess different FROM i Guess New mexico Slash vanderbilt's offensive.
Speaker 11: Scheme so how how challenging was it having the year that you had two seasons ago and then.
Speaker 8: Not being able to play for you, know half the year last.
Speaker 5: Year it was definitely a, Challenge but BUT i still approached it LIKE i would any other. Season you, know it's Still i'm still playing football out, there Whether i'm actually not playing football or. NOT i sustained a pretty heavy injury AND i had to kind of come come to terms with, that face reality and work my ass off when it comes to rehabilitation and getting myself battle.
Speaker 1: Ready, yeah you said Coach stoops as a, Statesman.
Speaker 8: What do you mean by?
Speaker 2: That well's.
Speaker 5: Genuine he's super honest and he means what he. Says AND i like that about. Him he's a genuine. Person he's he's very uh how do you put? It focuses on the players and the fact that this team is going to be player lit in the sense THAT i, mean we're going to pave the way for. It we're the first on the. Line we're going to define our. Culture given, OTHERS i mean a lot of new transfers and, whatnot we have to come up with something like.
Speaker 1: That when you were Researching, kentucky what did you?
Speaker 2: See what did you look? For what DID i?
Speaker 5: See what DID i look for? For, well one of my, decisions, apologies one of my decisions was kind of conference AM i willing to compete? In AND i, Figured, hell this is one hell of a mountain to, climb SO i might as a, climate you, Know I'm i'm committed to making my last stand. Here so that's what was one of my decision.
Speaker 10: Points she is transferring to THE sec being AN nfl draft, Prospect you're gonna be one of the most Visible Native American navajo athletes in the. Country what does that kind of label mean to you in representing.
Speaker 8: That part of your?
Speaker 5: Culture, again it's a deep. OWNER i love WHAT i do AND i do it for my, community for the, youth to give them a beacon of hope that you, know there's there's a way out of, It there's there's a way. Up there's a way that to create and turn defeat into. Victory And I'm i'm proud to be on the frontier of that and to define.
Speaker 8: It were there guys you looked.
Speaker 10: Up to growing up like that?
Speaker 8: Too who take the way for you to be in the? Spot? Not how do you? Mean were there Other Native.
Speaker 10: American AND ava athletes out there who you, thought, OH i can do that, too or were you kind of carving.
Speaker 5: That nim as A Native american. Athlete he's a big influence on, me big. INSPIRATION i WISH i could shake his inn and introduce, myself But i'd have to say that's one of my main.
Speaker 3: INFLUENCES a few years, ago believe it or, not there was a pro athlete here in, town minor league baseball player who was the first member of The crow nation to be a pro, athlete and he.
Speaker 1: Told us what that meant to his, culture stretching all the way back To. Montana you, know have you heard from a lot of relatives and things like?
Speaker 5: That, yeah you, know people reach out and what. NOT i, mean it's a very close knit community within The navo. Nation i've, had you, know fans come up and introduce themselves and. Whatnot but how do you feel about? That it's, Nice it's it's, different it's, new And I'm i'm recognizing That i'm a public, figure SO i have to conduct my business in a professional manner and compete with, class compete with.
Speaker 2: Likesop the.
Speaker 8: Estatesman how different.
Speaker 10: Is it being In kentucky where they're just not a lot of Other navajo people, around Versus New mexico where you grew up where it was so much more common.
Speaker 8: In being around it's on that community.
Speaker 5: Or it's like it's foreign. Territory i'll tell you that there's not a lot of representation out, here And i'm Realizing i'm in like there's there's no one else, here AND i guess understanding THE i guess the knowing that there's not a lot of representation out, THERE i have an opportunity to to be that person that to be on the frontier of, it to represent.
Speaker 3: That Is shaya's. Pete the new offensive lineman came through the portal From New.
Speaker 1: Mexico state up next on The best of The Big Moon, Sider my conversation With Tom, hammond legendary. Sportscaster it is the best of The Big Moon sider on six point thirty Wlap, Hey Dick, Gabriel i'm working the Boys sweet, sixteen so here's more of the best of The Big. Moonsider welcome back to The Big Moon, Sider.
Speaker 3: JOHNNY i was a longtime friend and an absolute mentor to many of. Us Tom hammond legendary, sportscaster you know his work From wlax here In lexingon for several, years but for the longest TIME Nbc, sports THE, nfl THE, nba college, basketball The, olympics and of course his book is.
Speaker 1: Now, tom welcome. Back last time you AND i talked was right before the book was, released and Now, Races games And Olympic dreams Of Sportscasters life is. Out you can get it Via amazon and in bookstores.
Speaker 2: Everywhere how's it doing.
Speaker 12: Well it's doing well as far AS i. Know Dick Mark, story my co, author And i've been around the state doing some signings and giving a little program about the book and how we came to write. It and the reception has been. Good, now always have a caveat. THAT i don't think anybody's going to walk up to me and say this book is. Terrible so it might not be the best sample of how it's, received but so far it's been, very very. Positive you.
Speaker 2: Know that's. Something and we're we're all sitting around telling.
Speaker 3: Stories the other day at the reception for the seventy five, team and somebody brought Up Jock. SUTHERLAND i learned that From jock very. Early he was a real mentor of mine as, well and he, said you, know he saw somebody recognize, me and he, said you, know they don't tell you when they don't like.
Speaker 12: You so, NOW i think in the age of social, media you, know people can get on there and write whatever they want and with no, accountability so good.
Speaker 2: Luck that's.
Speaker 3: True when they do come up and talk to, YOU i got to think most people do they hit you with the personal story about something that you said or, did or something they heard you.
Speaker 2: Said it really meant a lot to. Them do you hear a lot of?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 12: YEAH i do a. Lot AND i also have heard a lot of people saying to, me, OH i didn't know that about. You oh they're learning different to different parts of. Me and to be, honest it's a little scary to put all those things about your, life yourself out there that you've never really talked about before everybody to. Know Uh So i've kind of gotten gotten used to it by, now but at first it was a little frightening to do. That but, people a lot of people said they had learned some things about. Me and you, know people also notice that my affection For lexington And, Cupral kentucky that comes through the book and and and WHAT i say in the book, tick WHICH i really have felt my whole, career my whole. Life is that the best thing that ever happens to. Me it's when a total stranger comes up to me and, Says i'm A kentuckian AND i just want you to Know mike is. Proud and it doesn't it doesn't get any better than.
Speaker 2: That that's so.
Speaker 3: Great AND i had somebody tell me a long time ago then in our, business when you start to, move he, said it seems like you never. Stop And i've only made a couple of moves in my, life you, know lexing Into, dallas back To, lexing AND i was, fortunate.
Speaker 2: AND i know how much it means to you to be able to kind of keep this as your home.
Speaker 1: Base you literally traveled the world doing your, job but you'd always come home to election.
Speaker 12: Exactly and one of the great moments is when you, return you fly Over Calumet, farman you see that, again and you know you're. Home. YEAH i was so, Lucky, dick THAT i was not able to have to play THE tv game where you bounce from one bigger market to the next try and to. ADVANCE i wanted to stay In, lexington you, know BECAUSE i love, it BECAUSE i liked the horses and you, know all the things about. It AND i was so lucky That Harry, barfield who was the general manager of w L S, tv let me supplement my income at THE tv, station first of all by working at The keenland sales as the announcer and then at other sales around the, country SO i didn't have to. MOVE i was able to stay, here which is WHAT i always wanted to. Do and WHEN i worked for the, network people would, say oh my, gosh you, know travel must be. AWFUL i, said, WELL i have to make the. Connection usually that's the only PRICE i have to, pay and that's a small price to pay to still live In. Lexington SO i did have to make lots of. Connections but to me that was no big deal and my six Million delta miles going attempt to. That.
Speaker 3: Wow, YEAH i was fortunate, too because not nearly at the scale that you. Had But i've picked up some freelance work through my career And Ralph gabbard let me do, it you, KNOW i, said as long as it doesn't interfere with your duties as a sports manager AT, Kyt, yeah go, ahead you, know and kind, of you, know job well. Done it's a Reward and SO i was fortunate, Too but, YEAH i envy.
Speaker 1: YOU i never had a chance to work The. OLYMPICS i always wanted to do it at least. Once just the, majesty the, grandeur the, splendor all of that really appealed to. ME i got to think that when you first started doing, that was it overwhelming at?
Speaker 12: All it was a little daunting to start. With it was a bit intivating because it's something the whole world is. Watching, yeah when you get, there you realize the whole world is. Here, yeah and it's it's just such such a big deal and it's the one one of the things that the world usually agrees, On let's watch The. Olympics they want different people to, win of, course but they think that The olympics are important enough to take time out of their days to. Watch and my First olympics was this sound so long ago, now was nineteen eighty eight In, Seoul South. Korea and ORIGINALLY i was slated to do a questrian events And Michael weisman was the executive producer AT, nbc the man that hired me AT. Nbc AND i, said that's, great, Fine i'd love to do. IT i don't know anything about a question THAT i know about horses and horse racing a little, bit but about a QUESTION i don't know, much But i'll be fine and so lo and. BEHOLD a little while later he changed my. Mind he, SAID i want you to do men's and women's basketball and With al, McGuire and my, gosh you could afford, me could have locked me.
Speaker 8: Over with a better.
Speaker 12: Then so what a what a compliment it, was and what an assignment it, was and what a lifelong memories it. Was And al maguire one of the great characters Of american. Sports there's no never been anybody like him a unique individual and and we we just had such a great. Time in, fact for years, Afterwards dick that back in the days of answering, machines he would he would call my answering machine and he'd, Say, tommy, baby just want to tell YOU i love, you and he'd hang. Up if you want to tell YOU i love, you that would be his. Message so and Then Dick ever saw when he took OVER Nbc sports as the, CHAIRMAN uh had me branching out into Things i'd never considered. Before in fact THAT i tell the story That i'd done AN nba playoff game In boston The celtics and The pacers On sunday And flow him back home and A monday, Morning, Uh Ever spell. CALLED i, said oh my, gosh what DID i do? Wrong oh? Gosh and he SO i, answered and me he, said, well good job in the game. Yesterday what do you know about track and? Field AND i, said, Well i've probably been to a track meter two in my, life BUT i read don't know much about. It, well you'll be. Fine and that was my introduction to doing track and. Field and that's that's the sport THAT i did most of all at The. OLYMPICS i also did some gymnastics and some diving and in The Summer, games but the track and field was my main and to me that was such a compident ONCE i learned my way. Around, yes that was such a, compliment because to, me that's the heart and soul of the of The. Olympics in the fact THAT i think the one hundred meters dash is always the marquee event of the of The Summer, games it's also the most difficult THING i did in all my entire, career no.
Speaker 3: Doubt and Yet, tom you got it. Right each time you didn't, Stumble you got the. RIGHT i, mean and you talk about.
Speaker 1: Pressure we put pressure on, ourselves but it was just magnified because of the enormity of the, event the audience, setting and your years of experience came. Through you were, prepared and that's, everything isn't.
Speaker 12: It, well you're you're nice to say, That, dick and you're. RIGHT i always, thought there's no if you've, prepared done your homework and done all you can, do no sense being. Nervous you're prepared and with the the one hundred meters dashes over in nine seconds and there's no margin for, Error so either you get it right or you don't and knock on. Wood Still LUCKILY i never got, it never got it, wrong and they did get it wrong At Paris, olympics which is.
Speaker 3: Embarrassing, yeah we're talking To Tom, hammond of, course legendary sportscaster and now a co author Of Tom Hammond, Races games And Olympic, dreams a book that he wrote with our Buddy Mark's story from The Herald leader and a collection of great anecdote. Stories AND i thought about That tom when we were sitting together at a table at the reception for the seventy five team after the Last saturday's. Game AND i was very appreciative of being invited to join those, guys As i'm sure you. Were but it was kind of fun at the end when people began to ask you questions about you, know what was your favorite this or how did you end up doing? That and you, know they they sat and took it all in as you shared with them somebody. Experience, ESPECIALLY i think they appreciated you're a McGuire. STORIES i mean that, Guy and you know, WHAT i THINK i worked his very first game when he was working on a green.
Speaker 2: Screen it was before you joined the.
Speaker 3: Network over At Freedom, hall his very first, game he was under the stands in a small room with a monitor and they WOULD i Think edinburg was doing the game With packer and they would bring him in once in a.
Speaker 2: While and it was.
Speaker 1: Right after that Game Billy packer, said we Need al out here with us at the, table.
Speaker 3: And and a career was. Born so, YEAH i happened just to be a witness to.
Speaker 12: That but, yeah you, know the greatest threesome in sports broadcasting was you, Know edinburgh McGuire And packer and Uh Dick enburgh was my mentor and my, friend and uh we just had that that national, connection natural connection to can move on to The. AL i think appreciated how Much dick cared for me and liked, me so that made our transition easy when When al became my. Partner we did some college, games and we did some exhibition games THE Us olympic team against various teams before we went to The, olympics and then we were In seoul for a month together and then AS i, said, afterward we even did a couple OF nba. Games, afterwards THE nbc decided they didn't really like, him on THE. Nba but, uh it was just AS i, say a unique individual and frugal and we ate the employee cafeterias and lots of times when we were, traveling he, said he put it up hot, sauce, honey and then it stays all, Right and he was just he, was just LIKE i, say a Unique american sports. Character never be another. King AND i was lucky to work with another one, too in The Bill. Walton oh, yeah another, eccentric you, know individual that will never be. Duplicated and how lucky it was that to work with two individuals like.
Speaker 1: That something you And Dick enburg have in, common and really all the greats, do is that you knew and still know how, to as we say in the, business let it. Breathe you, know you knew when to talk and when to not, talk which is just as important, oftentimes which was big For, enburg but working with with McGuire And, packer but also in your case as, well letting the moment have its, moment you. Know and too often NOW i feel like people in our business they feel like they get paid by the word that they have to be yammering on when there's, times especially in, television just let it.
Speaker 12: Breathe, Right, oh, Absolutely dick and and your rights in the student observation on your, part BECAUSE i don't think many understand that these, days AND i do know that there are two hundred different channels to choose, from so they feel like they have, to you, know distinguish themselves or make themselves stand. Out but to, me that's the absolute wrong, approach and THAT i was famous AT nbc for the hand if there was a dramatic moment THAT i thought deserved to be emphasized to my, PARTNERS i just held the hand, up, like don't say, anything don't say. Anything and the first time they got that hand they didn't quite know what to. Do but after a while they became used to. It and you, know as you, say let the moment breathe at the, network that you have such talented cameramen and directors that the, story the picture is going to tell the story much better than ANYTHING i can. SAY i can only detract from the moment really by trying to put it into words when you can see it on. Television SO i guess one of the most famous instances WHEN i did, that gave the hand out in this case To randy mass and To Jerry bailey was When American pharaoh won The driple. Crown, yeah and as he crossed the finish line And larry colemas to call the, race, says the thirty seven year route is. Over American pharaoh has won The driple. Crown and people were going, crazy absolute not standing on tables and, chairs throwing things in the. Air AND i just held my hand up To jerry And. Randy they didn't know quite they didn't know quite how to take, it and they were just chomping to say, something to say, something and. No and for almost a, MINUTE i THINK i didn't say anything because the scenes that that threw Wesak, off Our hall Of fame, director was getting told the. STORY i didn't need to say, anything and AND i. WAS i was proud of that moment in. HERE i didn't say a. Word so maybe the best THING i did in my whole career was not say. Anything.
Speaker 3: Excellent, WELL i was watching and, yeah and THEN i was at a wedding.
Speaker 2: RECEPTION i was in the.
Speaker 1: BAR i ran down to the bar just to, watch and THEN i went back upstairs for everybody who was partying and.
Speaker 2: Dancing and as soon as there was a.
Speaker 1: LULL i yelled The American pharaoh was one of you, know and got a round.
Speaker 3: UP a plot wasn't for? Me of, Course Tom hammond is my. Guest we'll come back and talk a little bit more with the engineering sportscaster in just a minute here on six point THIRTY Wlap welcome. Back we're talking With Tom, hammond legendary sportscaster and the author Of Tom Hammond Races games And Olympic, dreams which he co wrote With Mark's story of The Hero. Leader real, quickly AS i, mentioned you AND i were invited to the post game reception with a seventy five.
Speaker 2: Team that meant a lot to. Me i'm sure it did to you as.
Speaker 3: Well but what were your memories of that, team because those guys were so much fun to, cover given everything they went through from their freshman year through their senior.
Speaker 12: Seasons, yeah they were a fun team to cover because they seemed to enjoy the, game The Twin towers and the whole group of, them and of Course Jack gibbings a youngster, then and it was a delight AND i, was like, you flattered that they would remember us and invite us to be. There because that was in AT. Wlaxtv THEN i was not broadcasting the. GAMES i was just sitting on the sideline with my little sixteen millimere camera, usually but you remember when When Bobby knight slapped Job hall up on the back of the, head and then when they met again in THE ncaa, TURM i got to go to the, game AND i, did and after the, GAME i, Said i'm going To San. DIEGO i just. CAN'T i can't stay. Away i've got to watch the team because they've developed into something special and on a. Mission and of, course lo and, Behold John wooden announces his retirement and nobody was going to beat him in that championship. Game but it was a wonderful, experience and like you, say it was wonderful too for them to remember us and to invite us.
Speaker 3: Back and you, know they experienced so much as starting off as The Super kittens and everybody, thought, oh three straight national titles and they went AN sec title For joe b and then they struggled through that thirteen and thirteen, year which was my first, year not to but my first year AT, uk And i'm, like wait a, minute this IS uk basketball and they're losing as much as they're. Winning that was a story in and of, itself wasn't.
Speaker 12: It when they were so yet when they were so highly hearted to start? With and you, KNOW i wondered throughout my career in all the different Sports i've, covered one Thing i've learned is that the greatest obstacle to overcome really is the pressure of. Expectations and that really inhibits people at time, athletes and you can understand. Why but the pressure of EXPECTATIONS i think might have been a factor in their struggles and then probably in their determination to, succeed which they eventually did to overcome those. Troubles but one THING i learned in all those different sports is, man the pressure to succeed when it's expected of you is really difficult to.
Speaker 2: Overcome, yeah, yeah and now it may be worse than ever because of social.
Speaker 1: MEDIA i don't know how much of the business you, miss but the fact that you don't have to deal with it that, much if at, all that's a.
Speaker 12: Plus isn't it when it's when it was just coming?
Speaker 8: In of?
Speaker 12: Course WHEN i WHEN i finally, Retired, yeah it was starting to be really, established AND i said to my. PARTNERS i, said you, know this is the work of the. Devil this is this is going to Be, uh it's going to change the whole landscape and the course of pas and and my philosophy was and is that you just can't listen to. It you you, know whether you did a good job or. NOT i knew IF i did a poor job or could have done, better AND i knew WHEN i knocked it out of the. Park and so, uh you just have to depend on your instincts and your knowledge and your preparation and not listen to all the noise or outside noise because and that and that includes don't listen to all the paths on the back either all the, time because you can go that way as. Well so you just have to tune in all out and rely on your own instincts to tell you whether you did a good job or what you need to do.
Speaker 3: Better, Well, tom always a pleasure talking with, you and keep us posted on the book's. Progress AND i do appreciate all the help you gave me through the, years just treating me with respect WHEN i was a, kid you, know and you were an established, broadcaster but that's important to young. People AND i try to remember that now As i'm getting up in. Years so thanks so. Much always great talking to.
Speaker 12: You thank, You, Dick thank. You And i've enjoyed your friendship and enjoyed your work over the. Years and IF i, somehow you, know influenced you or inspired you in some, way then that is very very nice of you to, say And i'm very appreciative of you saying. It and you, know a long time in this, business and one of the Things i'm most proud of in my whole, Career, dick IS i THINK i treated everyone with respect on all our. Crews you have two hundred and fifty people FROM nbc there broadcast The, derby AND i tried to learn as many other names AS i. Could of course the REGULARS i knew. Anyway SO i just you, know you said THAT i always treated you with, respect and that's one of the nicest.
Speaker 8: Things you could say to.
Speaker 2: Me that's, Great, Tom thanks so. Much hope to see you again.
Speaker 12: Soon Thanks, Dick thank you very.
Speaker 2: Much that was indeed the.
Speaker 3: CASE i always appreciated that About tom and about Kold. Leedford even BEFORE i was a broadcast colleague of.
Speaker 2: His worked on THE Uk network with. Him people used to ask, me IS k would really that? NICE i forgot that can't Be is he? Really?
Speaker 3: Yes it is possible for guys LIKE k With leedford And Tom hammond And Larry conley and people like that to be decent guys and treat people who are coming, up young people early in their career with, respect not like they're just. Kids that'll do it for hour number one on this the best of The Big Blue insider coming up an hour number. Two my conversation from a few weeks back With Jeremy jerman of THE Uk Football. Network that's all ahead on The Big blue And sider six thirty wlap he welcome back to The Big Moon, Sider.
Speaker 1: Dick gabriell with you working The sweet sixteen down In. Rapparina so this is the best of The Big Blue. Cider my conversation from a couple of weeks back With Jeremy jarman of THE Uk Football.
Speaker 2: Network are you enjoying your off season?
Speaker 3: Sir with your youngster and keeping an eye on the basketball team as well as his football?
Speaker 11: Team hey, man the off season has been. GREAT i can't. Complain good. Holidays did some ice skating with YOUNG jj and. Ah he likes being emotion man ice, skating roller, skating keeping him keeping him. Busy, there wife's good and round balls looking. Great it's Been it's been pretty good. Man how about.
Speaker 3: You you AND i talk all the time via text and calls, Whatever BUT i believe this is the first Time i've had you on the air since the season was, over and since, then as you, know the portal door has been spinning in both. Directions let's talk, First jeremy about the guys in general who have come through new faces on that old. Line As i've kind of turned the season, over you AND i have talked about. This so many things happen This it's just a strange.
Speaker 2: Year but in terms of lack.
Speaker 3: Of success over the last three, years in my, OPINION i still think it comes back to an offensive line that never really has found.
Speaker 2: Itself do you see it that?
Speaker 8: WAY i do see it that.
Speaker 11: Way these, guys, however individually and coming from you know the places they're coming.
Speaker 8: From these guys have all had.
Speaker 11: Success now you know this hasn't been success on the sec, level but that is not an indicator of future. Success you, Know i've been on teams with a lot of guys that that didn't play football in THE. Sec this is just going to come down to know how good of a Job Eric wolferd can do pulling these guys, together keeping them. Focused H these, guys, certainly each one of, Them i'm sure comes in with different. Deficiencies are they willing to get in the weight, room are willing to get in the film room and become better football? Players become better leaders and ultimately hold each other.
Speaker 3: Accountable you spend your career in COLLEGE i assume high school as, well and the pros kind of attacking offensive, lineman and you talk about deficiencies and everybody has.
Speaker 2: Them whether they're mental or.
Speaker 3: Physical what kind of coach do to try to facilitate a group of guys working together as?
Speaker 11: One that was one of the QUESTIONS i Asked mark going into last. Season you, know around this time last, year was you, know what do you do with so many new young, Faces, like what's the you, know what's your what's your, theory what's your you, know what's your subscription? Model to figure that out and, ultimately you, know your off season when you talk about some of the accountability games and things that take place in the off, season where you divide guys into groups of eight to ten and ultimately you just kind of have gold oriented boards that guys are able to get. Points so just accountability, systems you, know that's one of the.
Speaker 8: THINGS i. Think some of the other stuff is things that are just off the.
Speaker 11: Field you, know what kinds of things are you encouraging these guys to do amongst themselves to build brotherhood and build it quickly but. Authentically what kind of challenges are you throwing at these guys when they are in the weight room to you, know to kind of create that sense of. Camaraderie i'll tell, you you, Know i've talked With Corey peters and some other former guys over the course of the last few, weeks and you, KNOW i had a lot of respect for our strength, Coach Mark, hill who's now athletic, director.
Speaker 8: BUT i disliked him a lot of, days you, know as as a student.
Speaker 11: Athlete and you, know AND i still laugh about some of that stuff, today you know WHEN i see, Him but the relationship is. Real you should not Enjoy you should not like your strength coach while you're in an athlete not playing. Football you. Shouldn't, yeah and you, know and those are the kind of things THAT i want to see and here come. OUT i think over the course of these these next few months GAVE i WANT i want to hear stories about how the strength coach is really pushing these guys to their absolute genetic max and challenging.
Speaker 1: Them and by the, Way jeremy's referring to The Mark ollers, too to The mark the one with the see who's the assistant or deputy a d whatever you want to call. It and Now kentucky's strength and conditioning coach is Another Mark. Hill so you're kind of hoping these guys developed this intense, disregard let's, say for him and for Coach.
Speaker 11: Edmund for, sure your offensive line and your defensive line on game, base they have to be, absolute, nasty monocal individuals who just enjoy havoc and wreaking havoc and putting their hands on. People and that, mindset that mindset like that can be. Built that can be, manufactured and it has to be, manufactured not necessarily in. Practice that's where you kind of sharpen that mindset is manufactured in the weight. Room you, know that's, mental you, know throwing weight, around moving weight six o'clock in the, morning eight o'clock in the, morning.
Speaker 8: Just because that's the task at. Hand and part of that is it's.
Speaker 11: Mental you, know you gotta find you got to tap into things that happened to you over the course of your college career to get through some of. Those for, Me, gabe the embarrassment of losing THE lsu as a redshirt, sophomore those are uncomfortable moments THAT i had to tap into on days THAT i just quite honestly didn't want to, train didn't want to, work didn't want a, job didn't want to eat. Right but those uncomfortable memories are have to be what fuels you to be a better player and want to be a better.
Speaker 1: Teammate that blowout loss down AT lsu that had you wondering if you were on the right career path on the flight. Home you've told me that story many. Times and when Rich brooks got, home he thought he.
Speaker 2: Was on his way.
Speaker 3: OUT i thought he was going to have to sell his. House but that was really the beginning of the. TURNAROUND i.
Speaker 2: Think so you're, right and you, know as you talk about what happens in.
Speaker 3: The weight, ROOM i think back to all the video Clips i've seen From kentucky and other schools on social media where somebody is moving an enormous amount of weight for the first, time or setting a weight room, record or just doing something, incredible and he's surrounded by a couple dozen of his teammates cheering him.
Speaker 2: On it might be one, rep it might be you, know going.
Speaker 3: For a record number of, reps and these guys are screaming like banshees and they celebrate like they've just won a big game when it's. Over people like, ME i tried my best in the weight, room BUT i was never a part of anything like. That what do we need to understand about a moment like that and what it means to a football? Team you almost just answered.
Speaker 11: THAT i think the thing that's not spoken about spoken about a lot of those situations is that here you have a guy that is getting ready.
Speaker 8: To potentially break a personal. Record. Yeah so the mindset that you have to be in right to be willing to be willing to.
Speaker 11: Put yourself in that situation because you can get injured, weightlifting, right you, Know and also the mental element you got to be in the right mindset to, say you know What i'm going FOR pr. Today personal, Record, Yeah i'm going FOR pr. Today and to have your teammates that are there with, you that are pushing you. THROUGH i think everybody in the weight room in those moments they understand the significance of that because you, know there's a mental, element there's a big mental health Em, yeah you know you throw that extra five pounds on what difference does that extra five pounds? Make, well you know there's a mental. Right you got to bust through. That you got to bust through that wall of where you thought for so long that this was this was my this was my ceiling, right five pounds, less that was good.
Speaker 8: Enough but now you're trying to you're trying to beat, that and you know that's what that's.
Speaker 11: About and to be surrounded by your brothers or your, sisters you, know in moments like that really. Special AND i remember being in those, situations not the ones THAT i was a part, of like per se because the weight's on my, back BUT i remember Days Myron, PRYOR i mean just such a strong individual days where we surround the guys like that in the weight. Room you, Know Micah, Johnson, uh some of the guys you know that were extremely, strong or some of the guys that were going for vertical vertical leap wrecords that have been working and training for those things just as important.
Speaker 8: Too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah Jeremy jarman is my guests from THE Uk Radio, network the Former All conference.
Speaker 2: Defensive end for The.
Speaker 3: Wildcats we'll talk more football on the other side of the break here on six THIRTY Wlap welcome.
Speaker 2: Back we're talking With Jeremy jarman of.
Speaker 3: THE Uk Sports networky And Logan, Stenberg Christy thomas anchor our pregame coverage and then you Hear jeremy all over social, media including The Big Blue insider throughout the year and on THE Uk Sports network. Websites we were talking earlier about the offensive line AND i go back And i'm looking at The Big Blue wall And i've talked before with you about how it kind of, evolved and REALLY i think it began When Drake jackson took over at center Because Bunchie stallings was struggling a bit with long.
Speaker 2: Snaps they Moved bunchie over TO o.
Speaker 3: Guard he becomes An All, American drake becomes An All conference. Performer you Got Big george asapo a j on that line you, have you, know just incredible talent. There but those are guys who developed over a number of years, now and you AND i talked before about How kentucky with the portal is selected or recruited through. Need but it's a different process, now you, know you don't have guys who are maybe in their third year finally getting a chance to. Start but those first two years when they were part of the process were so vital in becoming a, fabric part of the fabric of the. Team is it, Possible is it fair for, Us jeremy to expect a big blue wall kind of response OR.
Speaker 2: I don't, KNOW i don't know what the word. Is i'm looking for big blue wall kind of like a.
Speaker 3: Resurgence, yeah when you're building through the portal as much as you are, RECRUITING.
Speaker 8: I, mean at the end of the, day they make a long, yes, no, no, no it's not.
Speaker 11: UNREASONABLE i think it's very, reasonable you, know to expect these guys to transition into this. League they're leveling, up they think that they can play in THE. Sec they need to come with the mindset that they're here to prove, it you. Know now it's their job to come here and to turn this around and get the momentum. Going you, know the only guy probably on the list that's that that we, know without a with without a shadow of a, doubt is going to be able to perform at this level Is Josh. Braun you, know the lineman coming From arkansas formaw let's to see. Lineman, yeah everybody else they check the, boxes, size, strength performance on the, tape but it's not until you, know really Until september.
Speaker 8: Where you really.
Speaker 11: Know and even with, that you can't just go off for the first body of work because we know that, longevity durability that those things have to be. There it's not you, know it's not just one, game it's you, know it's twelve games in a row, game so you got to be, durable, uh in the process.
Speaker 3: Too, yeah and you know you got to say healthy non conference versus conference play is. Big so it's a great mystery and it's going to play out right in front of. Us and now there will maybe, well there will definitely be a new Opening DAY. Qb whether It's Cutter bully or the kid who transferred in or you, know we'll know By august, obviously but his success whichever one it is will depend entirely on that big blue.
Speaker 2: Wall that's WHY i think we're always going to wonder.
Speaker 3: About Brock vandergriff because if you go Back jeremy and look at some of his clips from his first three or four, games Including Ole, miss he looks like a different guy than we saw down the. Stretch and not all of that's on, him is?
Speaker 8: It it's not all on.
Speaker 11: HIM i was concerned about some of the shots he took in The Southern miss game in a short and a shortened, game AND i THINK i Think Brock vandergriff came To lexington and gave us everything that he, had and you, know there were some hits that he took in that game where you, Know i'm wondering if if it was him or you, know or if it was the expectations that had him feeling the need to try to run, through you, know, linebackers and you, know in open field at the end of the, day you're a quarterback and nobody's EXPECTING i shouldn't say, nobody But i'm not, expecting you, Know kentucky quarterback to be running over. Linebackers, therefore trying to run over linebackers unless it's like a fourth to one situation game on the. LINE i just didn't like some of the shots that he took. EARLY i think it compromised him and his mobility and his ability to throw the football in the weeks that came After Southern miss and it was just basically it was it was a, seesaw it was a spiral that it most certainly was uncomfortable for him for the remainder of the.
Speaker 3: SEASON i wondered if he was trying to match some of those spectacular plays That Will levis made putting his shoulder into the chest of a, linebacker and that Was will's rep but he only did.
Speaker 2: It hear me a couple of.
Speaker 3: Times he hurdled one, guy but for this and this was a guy who was bigger than vandergriff.
Speaker 2: Was BUT i did.
Speaker 1: Wonder that did go through my, Mind and there were Times i'm staying in my, mind.
Speaker 2: Get, down get, down. Slide but he was going head, first.
Speaker 8: And that was the mo o on.
Speaker 11: Him when you go back and you look at what his teammates At georgia were saying that they said he wasn't a guy that shied away from.
Speaker 8: Contact but you, know, ultimately, ultimately as the.
Speaker 11: Quarterback you have to stay, healthy you gotta you gotta be serviceable for the coaches and for your, team and you.
Speaker 8: Can't you can't go out there and be something that you're.
Speaker 11: Not and that would be the advice THAT i have for Out Zach calzada coming back into THE sec this.
Speaker 8: Season don't try and be something you're.
Speaker 11: Not get the yards as you can, get, slide, dive whatever you need to, do but stay on the field for your team and pick and choose those pick and choose those moments where you know you show your.
Speaker 3: TOUGHNESS i talked to our Colleague Jeff pikoro more than once about. This uh you Mentioned zach coming, in And i've talked About Cutter. Bowley were you surprised given the fact that the staff turned The cutter and almost really had to by the end of the year as the, starter but.
Speaker 2: Went out and got a guy who.
Speaker 3: It looks like he has STARTING qb written all over, him the guy who came through the. Portal he didn't come here to, sit but he knows he's got to win the, job just As levis, did just As brock.
Speaker 2: Did were you?
Speaker 3: Surprised kentucky made it a point to. GO i didn't get a guy with STARTING qb, Credentials No i'm.
Speaker 11: Not and they owed it to the team to go out and get a guy that can come in and compete for the starting quarterback, job a guy that's got experienced.
Speaker 8: Throwing the, ball being dual threat and.
Speaker 11: MOBILE i think that his skill set In, CALZADA i think it's very complementary to a, team you, know this team where there's still going to be some question. Marks, gay we've seen we've seen college, Football we've seen how it has. Evolved now THE nfl is following. Suit you gotta have you gotta have a guy on your roster that is dual. Threat if he's not dual, threat well he better BE i mean just absolutely an incredible pocket.
Speaker 8: Passer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah he's got to be laser. Sharp he's got to have quick. Reads he's got to be willing to get the ball out of his hands because you, know he's got to scheme a system of comprehension of the blitz, schemes rotations that allow him to process the place quickly where he can get the ball out before he gets.
Speaker 8: Hit and you, know so.
Speaker 11: Going into the season seeing these two guys with different skill sets compete that that's.
Speaker 8: What this is. About and we know what the data.
Speaker 11: Shows the data shows that whoever's name the, starter that they're probably not going to be a starter for at least one one or two games or or or or more just because you get banged. Up that's that's the nature of this.
Speaker 8: Lead.
Speaker 3: YEAH i look At georgia end of the, year whether it's With Carson beck on the. Bench, yeah you, know and some think that's what Costs georgia in the. Postseason not everybody's blessed Like texas with two guys who could start anywhere in the.
Speaker 2: Country so uh but, no you're.
Speaker 1: RIGHT i, mean you, know name and name of a team that goes through a season with a quarterback, unscathed and of course whoever's the quarterback will be looking at a Different for the most, part set of.
Speaker 2: Receivers you got.
Speaker 1: A couple of guys, back some young guys who are going to get an, opportunity but others who.
Speaker 2: Have come through the.
Speaker 3: PORTAL i kind of think we've all Expected Brian brown to move. ON i guess we shouldn't be surprised That dane moved on because he needs to go someplace where he can really showcase his.
Speaker 2: Skills for THE, nfl and that was questionable whether he be able.
Speaker 8: To do that.
Speaker 2: Here, well it should have been, Here it should have been.
Speaker 3: Here, uh and to a point it, WAS i, think but not to the point where you, know we all thought this guy we thought maybe AFTER i think his first, year we wondered what he declare after his third.
Speaker 2: Year BUT i think this new room of receivers in the receivers.
Speaker 3: Coach WHO i know you like a, LOT i think the balance could end up being a real weapon for The, wildcats.
Speaker 8: Do You, yeah, yeah it can. Be and there's there's just you, know there's just there's question.
Speaker 11: Marks and you Mentioned dane and to lose a player of his, caliber skill, set being a legacy, guy that just can't.
Speaker 8: Happen you, know just very disappointed.
Speaker 11: THERE i think that for him to continue to grow as a, PLAYER i think that he needed he, needed, uh you, know stronger performances from guys in the wide receiver room as, well guys that had the ability to.
Speaker 8: Play, outside play.
Speaker 11: Inside and ultimately we got to a point gate where we had games where he was being target, at, yeah twelve to fifteen times a.
Speaker 2: Game, yeah and double team.
Speaker 11: Yeah AND i mean they're just, dropping you, know linebackers right into the you, know right right right into the under the.
Speaker 8: Route, yeah you, know in breaking routes and stops and. Curls just.
Speaker 11: Frustrating you, know they literally no pun it now actually pun. Intended they keyed on, him, yeah and they forced other players to try to show that they could step up and make some. Plays and you Saw macklin succeed in some instances down the. Stretch tennessee being one of those games when he got a chance to get back out on the outside where you, know maybe he should have been all.
Speaker 1: Year, well miss made it a point not only key on, him double team, him they interfered with, him and he still made big plays down In. Oxford we're talking To Jeremy jerman of THE Uk Sports. Network more to come here on six THIRTY Wlp Welcome.
Speaker 3: Back we're talking With Jeremy jarman of THE Uk Sports, network Former kentucky defensive end and now you hear him With Logan sindberg And Christy thomas anchoring our pregame. Covers we talked a lot about the, offense didn't talk about running. Backs BUT i need to get.
Speaker 1: You over to the defensive, side where The wildcats had an okay season last, Year BUT i think you AND i, agree he should have been better personnel moving on from all, levels the line, Linebackers harriston moves. On he's getting some review rave reviews now in some of the all star, situations as he.
Speaker 2: Is the real.
Speaker 3: Deal he, is and it's a shame we didn't get to see him at his best is last. Year Here so does the defense AND i know how you feel About Brad, white but does the defense take a step backward this? Year and again some guys that come through the, portal but it's it's kind of a mystery right.
Speaker 2: NOW i think.
Speaker 11: On, paper the defense looks like it's ready to take a step, back if not a couple of steps. Back, however the thing About Brad white is that he's shown that he can do a lot with a. Little he's a good, chef and he's very creative of how to get how to get desirable, results you, know in difficult. Circumstances it's going to be interesting to, see you, know you, know down the. Stretch there's times gate WHERE i would have liked to have seen more. Pressure there's times WHERE i look back at last season AND i, say you, know maybe this, team when WHEN i look at how how how good this defensive line group, was maybe there's times where we should have had four d tackles across the across the front at. Times, Yeah and you, know you can't go back and. Redo But i'll be curious in the spring with practices and going into the fall to see If brad evolves and maybe gets a little bit more, aggressive maybe transitions and, puts you, know four hands down across the defensive line at times versus the outside line backer edge rush position where it has not been productive or as productive AS i know that he would like over the last few. Years and you see, us you see two young edge guys basically get into the.
Speaker 8: Portal we GRADUATE Jj, weaver and there's a lot of there's a lot of room for growth at the edge rush.
Speaker 2: Position in his, defense you lose a talent Like Dion, walker you, know and everybody knew from his freshman year on how great he, was and he was a guy who allowed some of the guys around him to.
Speaker 3: EAT i don't know if that happened as much this year as you expected or the experts, expected but saying goodbye to somebody like that ain't, easy is.
Speaker 11: It it's not easy saying goodbye To Keyshawn, silver who was really good at the nose this.
Speaker 8: Year that was not. Easy Losing Trevon, ripke.
Speaker 11: Guy with a lot of experience got AND i thought extremely highly Of Octavius Oxen.
Speaker 8: DYNE i, mean you just you lose so much beef up front.
Speaker 11: And, Experience, yeah and experience there that it's, man it, is it's. There they're in a tough, spot they really. Are they have to get the. Transfers they got to get the young, players they got to get them ready to.
Speaker 8: Play you, know we.
Speaker 3: Talked About, hairston AND i keep reminding myself that there have been. Years one in particular was the year After kentucky had four d backs wind up IN nfl camps and we all, wondered what in the you, know what are they gonna? Do how are they Gonna and they were fine the next year because they had, developed, recruited, developed coached the guys and built.
Speaker 2: Depth AND i do think that's.
Speaker 3: Something while they weren't haven't been able to do that with THE o, LINE i think they have been able to do That jeremy with a d, BacT which is a tribute to whoever's been A D backs coach through the, years And Brad white And Mark stoops because you know how he feels about kind of pitching in and helping with D.
Speaker 11: Backs, YEAH i THINK i think at the cornerback, POSITION i Think Chris collins has done an excellent job coaching that. Group that, guy that guy is a he's an up and coming star at the. Position the year That Tarryan, nichols the emergence of J Q hardaway at those positions legitimized. Him and you know in this, DEFENSE i Thought tarryan was was excellent at. Times matchup At Old miss against all the first Team All, America, yeah you, know taller than him by two to three, inches thought he competed extremely. Well they're huge PBu there in a big play situation in the second. Half, uh there's a lot to. Like there's a lot to like there at the cornerback. Position you, know you bump back, inside then you look at the you, know you look at the linebackers and you know there's some tough losses there to. Overcome, yeah the kind of losses that could make it hard on the back end for the corners and the.
Speaker 1: Safeties you talked about how offenses now need quarterbacks who can run it and throw, it and you, know it's. Interesting generally things trickle, down as you, know you played in THE, nfl but now that dual THREAT qb stuff looks like it's moving. Up you, know whether the pros are borrowing more from the college game when.
Speaker 2: It comes to the.
Speaker 3: PLAYOFF i, mean look at the qbs in The Super bowl coming up And Jalen, hurts who's not quite the runner That Patrick, mahomes but they're, crafty. Right how of defenses had to adjust and become MORE i don't, know, intricate if you, will more complex.
Speaker 2: To handle this kind of.
Speaker 11: OFFENSE i think it's just the incorporation and of more speed off the. Edge you're seeing teams get really smart about how they're coming off the, edge who they're coming off of it. With you, Know i'm Saying i'm seeing hybrid safeties now coming off the. Edge as as an offensive lineman's offen to, tackle your kick slide has to be perfect.
Speaker 8: With a guy that's potentially a ten yard.
Speaker 11: Split he's you, know the safety's four four four five guy you, know his ten yard split may be you, know one. Four your kickslide has to be, perfect you. Know SO i think these teams doing a good job of trying to counter some of you, know counter some of the things that they're seeing with you, know more, blitzes more chips from the tight, ends more quick.
Speaker 8: Game.
Speaker 11: Uh and WHEN i look at us last, Year i'm certain that one of the things that really, hindered really hindered Bush hamden is the lack of mobility of.
Speaker 8: Our offensive line last. Year, yeah a.
Speaker 11: Lack of, mobility and we needed those guys to be able to get out in space for quick hitting. Screens and when you can't hit teams that are aggressive pass rushers with screens, gave that's difficult for an offensive. Coordinator So i'm hopeful that you, know with this this incoming group of offensive, linemen that these guys are having the kind of off season that they need to, have being able to get out in, space wait underneath their knees and their, toes able to catch contact with smaller defenders to aid in an offense that Bush hampden is going to deploy this.
Speaker 3: Fall we'll come back and finish up With Jeremy jarman in just a minute here on six THIRTY. Wlap welcome. Back we're talking With Jeremy jerman of THE Uk Sports, network and you've kind of gone through offense and defense, quickly and we will do this through spring in. Summer but haven't had a chance to talk To Double j's since the season ended here on the. Air we talk all the time it text and phone, calls But i've talked a little bit through the weeks following the season.
Speaker 1: In jeremy About Mark stoops and what he came here to do and how he pledged the day he was hired to do it and that was hard work recruiting and he said more than what's no, shortcuts but, evaluate, recruit sign, develop in other, words coach kids into BECOMING sec, players you, know multiple, Kids and that's exactly how he got this program to a ten win situation on more than one occasion and had us talking about man one more win and maybe they're in THE sec title game and that kind of. Thing with the portal in THE, nil he's clearly not, happy AND i think it's. Unfortunate he can't really, coach and most coaches can't the way they want to, coach you know WHAT i, Mean and by, THAT i mean develop a. Program but you gotta just don't.
Speaker 8: You you got to, adjust and you got to be.
Speaker 11: Authentic AND i AND i think that that's the thing About mark That i've Always i've always liked this uh and with him and and and his, staff These youngstown, guys is that they're authentic.
Speaker 8: Guys and at the end of the, day at the end of the, day.
Speaker 11: These, players your former, players they will continue to helping age you and recruiting if you just if you're just honest upfront with the kids and the, parents you ask for consent to push them, hard coach them, hard love on them when they need to be loved, on and grind them when they need to be. Grinded and and and and and everybody can look back at the memories that were that were.
Speaker 8: Made Uh AND i think that that's what it.
Speaker 11: Is this is this is a situation THAT i Know mark can dig himself out of if if he wants, to if he wants to dig. In you, know had a chance to be at the table with him when he first came, in AND i saw how he put the frank and the beans on the, table and was willing to do whatever it took to Get kentucky football. Irrelevance and he did that and he deserves the opportunity to do that. Again to tell the fan, BASE i know that we're in a tough, situation but this is how we're going to get out of.
Speaker 8: It you, know this is how we got.
Speaker 11: IT i think that our fan base is is smarter than what you, know people like you AND, i former, players media people give them credit. For you, KNOW i get online AND i see the posts and, comments AND i can't interact with a lot of. THEM i don't think that our bosses, would you, know would would appreciate. It Would but we have a very intelligent fan base that deserves the. Truth they deserve, transparency And i'm hopeful That mark will give them that in terms of just, saying, hey this is how we're going to do this. Thing and with, that the recruits that are coming in the expectation has got to, be, Hey i'm bringing you in here to. Compete this is and, ay HEY i get you ready next, Year i'll get you ready into You we're gonna redshirt.
Speaker 8: You, no this Is i'm.
Speaker 11: DEAD i expect you to be up here have lodging this, fault you, know every week every weekend for home, games Because i'm expecting your son to be on the football field helping us win. Games and if he can graduate and get here In january or you, know, great but you, know if he can't get here To june And, july then we'll get.
Speaker 8: Him we'll get him.
Speaker 1: Ready Then Ohio state spent an enormous amount of money and one a national.
Speaker 3: Championship. Uh most people believe a led to be led to. See, uh it may, have but you've got to wonder is that the?
Speaker 2: Answer?
Speaker 3: Now can you fix this problem by throwing more money at? It and if that's the, answer there are not a lot of schools that can that can compete like, that you know WHAT i.
Speaker 11: Mean i'm adamant that you can't buy your way into heaven and you, know but but it can. Help you, know if you're blessing you're you're in a football rich state like like the state Of, ohio with the kind of boosters that they. Have those kids that go To Ohio, state they know what they know what the assignment is and you, know they have a culture that demands.
Speaker 8: Excellence SO i just think with coach. DAY i think he's an outstanding.
Speaker 11: COACH i know that there's probably ten to twenty percent Of Ohio state fan base right. Now they may still disagree with that despite this most recent national. Championship but he's a good ball coach and he knows what he's. Doing and so you gotta have enough resources to be able to get to get the right, prototype the right phozeke onto. Campus but once they get the, CAMPUS i mean there's not a ton of separation between athletes from school to, School like when you talk about this.
Speaker 8: First dring versus this first. Dring we take the weight, room we go out and we do it in.
Speaker 11: RECESS i remember in first grade through fifth, grade we go out and we do phield, day and we do the bag jump and we do The. Listen these guys are pretty comparable across the board. Strength you, know short shuttle et cetera shuttle and you got a few. Outliers you got a few avatars that fall outside of. That BUT i mean this is WHEN i look at the losses and. Things these losses aren't because we had a guy that was too slow or, man we needed a guy that have a higher. Vertical it wasn't. That this is, Discipline this is guys needing to lock in and be. Engaged this isn't this isn't a this isn't a. Talent you, know last season the four and, eight it wasn't talent. Deficiency you're not going to sell me on, that And i'm not going to push that narrative, execution execution from the, top from the top.
Speaker 8: Down you, know are the guys ready to? Play are they?
Speaker 11: Confident do they have the ability to recognize the changes that the coordinators are throwing at? THEM i saw guys where it appeared that some guys froze in some. Moments you, know maybe some moments were too big for, guys guys couldn't adapt.
Speaker 8: To pre snap.
Speaker 11: Movement but, now this this wasn't a Talent this wasn't a talent deficient football. TEAM i, mean this team's got a lot of pros on it and we're going to see that here in the coming months as these guys get.
Speaker 3: DRAFTED i have less than two minutes. Left what are you going to be looking for here in the? SPRING i know it's probably a long laundry, list or is?
Speaker 9: It?
Speaker 8: Now for, me it's pretty.
Speaker 11: SIMPLE i want to see which young players are going to make plays this. Spring that to, me that's All i'm focused. ON i think everything ELSE i think with the transfer, GUYS i think that that will take care of. ITSELF i want to see the red shirt, freshmen the sophomores that have taken a jump and are ready to make an impact this.
Speaker 8: FALL i want to see that. List that's the only LIST i want to.
Speaker 2: SEE i would love to see a blue white, game Wouldn't would that?
Speaker 3: HELP i got to, THINK i mean the fan we would help the fan, base but would that help us everybody figure out who those guys?
Speaker 8: ARE i think it would help.
Speaker 11: Everybody AND i think it would help the players because now you're able to you're you're able to create this just you, know this pseudo game day.
Speaker 8: Atmosphere. Yeah and and and simulate what could be perceived as pressure for some young.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah AND i like any time you get a chance to do.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah here Is Jeremy. Jermy he is a vital part of our coverage Of kentucky. Football he And Logan Stenberg Christy thomas set the table FOR uce on game day with pregame coverage of The wildcat football games each and every, fall and we're looking forward to.
Speaker 2: It it's going to be here before. Long Double jays will see you with.
Speaker 11: PRACTICE i hope sounds, Good. GABE i appreciate. It you're definitely gonna see me out there.
Speaker 1: AND i can't. Wait hope you enjoyed this hour we spend With jeremy talking. Football we haven't had a chance to talk much With Jeremy jarman as the offseason war, on so we thought we would get caught. Up and, uh SINCE i recorded, that as you can, TELL i have come down with a little bit of a cold just in time for the. Weekend But i'll still enjoy The Super bowl AND i wanted to share this with you about The Super. Bowl you always look For kentucky, connections at LEAST i. Do and we talked About Darien canard who now plays for The, eagles and if you hadn't heard, already he won two rings with The chiefs as a. Backup now he's a backup with The. Eagles so if The eagles win The Super, bowl he will win his third Consecutive Super bowl. Ring and they keep talking About Ken Norton junior is the only guy who's done, it which is True Super.
Speaker 8: Bowls it.
Speaker 1: Is The packers won three straight. Titles But Ken norton, junior you, know played for The. Cowboys cowboys then sides with The niners and they beat The cowboys in The Super.
Speaker 8: Bowl So.
Speaker 1: Canard can win his third ring if The eagles win. It but there are Other kentucky connections to This Super, bowl believe it or. Not you've Got Ethan, driscoll who is From, louisville went to Holy Cross High, school played his college football At marshall and was, undrafted but fought his way into THE nfl and now he's with The, chiefs so he could win A Super bowl. Ring Mackai becton played.
Speaker 8: AT u OF l for three.
Speaker 1: Years he was a really good blocker AT u OF, l good old, lineman first Team All, conference starting guard for The. Eagles so The Louisville cardinals have a starter.
Speaker 8: On The EAGLES o.
Speaker 1: Line but you've also Got Jason michael on The eagles coaching. Staff he's the tight ends. Coach he was the STARTING qb On Western KENTUCKY'S oneaa national championship team back in twenty oh. Two but you got one, More Bobby.
Speaker 2: KING i had never heard of this.
Speaker 1: Guy he went To Trinity High, school my, school AND i had to dig and find out where he went to. College he went To Texas El paso and played. There he is The eagles inside linebackers. Coach and get, this that job became available when Dj, Elliott kentucky's former defensive, coordinator left The. EAGLES i, mean he's done nothing but college football up until that. Point he was A temple as the de coordinator and outside linebackers. Coach so he just moves across town takes a job with The eagles last year in twenty twenty, THREE i should, say as inside linebackers coach Under Nick. Siriani then he leaves In december of twenty four to become THE Nc state de. Coordinator that'll do it for the best of The Big Blue. Insider tomorrow night Is kentucky. Basketball that's. It good night from the garage In.
Speaker 2: Lexington we really must be.
Speaker 8: Going thank you for a memorable.
Speaker 5: Afternoon usually one must go to a Bowling elliott to meet a woman of your.
Speaker 8: Statil only.
Speaker 13: Such such spectacus taking canning any, CHANGING i think.
Speaker 6: To lack the.
Speaker 13: Tappen then don't do